Lorna Carter > Greenwoods Legal > Cambridge, England > Lawyer Profile
Greenwoods Legal Offices
VISION PARK, HISTON
- Go to...
Head of Construction
Partner, Chartered Legal Executive
Lorna is a highly experienced and pragmatic construction lawyer dealing with both dispute resolution and the drafting of documents for construction works.
Lorna is a Chartered Legal Executive who joined the profession in 1987 as a trainee in general litigation. She has specialised in construction law since 1995. Lorna joined Greenwoods GRM in 2019 to head up the Construction team.
Lorna has considerable experience with construction disputes of all kinds, including in relation to claims heard in the County Court, the Technology & Construction Court and the Court of Appeal, as well as handling complex adjudications and numerous mediations. Clients value her down to earth approach and practical but empathetic manner in aiding difficult decision making.
Lorna has acted for a wide range of clients across the construction industry from professionals to trade bodies, contractor, subcontractor and employers and enjoys dealing with the variety of clients that this specialism allows. Many clients have worked with Lorna for over 20 years – some for longer. Lorna acted for the Claimant, Mr and Dr West in the leading net contribution clause case of West v Finlay (2014) which ended in the Court of Appeal. She is also highly experienced in drafting building contracts, bonds, guarantees and warranties and other documents supporting development works.
Lorna has been an independent member of the Federation of Master Builder’s (FMB) Standards Committee for many years, which considers the conduct of FMB members as well as wider conduct issues for the FMB.
In the 2019 edition of the Legal 500 Lorna was recognised as a “Leading Individual”.
Lorna has delivered seminars and workshops on a wide range of construction industry topics including industry trends and important changes in case law.
Federation of Master Builder’s (FMB) Standards Committee
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Greenwoods Legal has a cross-office construction practice that is involved in regional, national and international projects, providing both advisory support and assistance with contentious matters. The firm recently acted for Cladding UK in defending a claim by a contractor alleging delay, disruption and extra cost in the removal of cladding from three tower blocks in London. Lorna Carter in Cambridge and London-based partner Howard Crossman are the lead partners. Associate Sarah Lidgett in Peterborough also plays a central role in the practice.
- Leading individuals - East Anglia > Real estate > Construction
- Construction - East Anglia > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Employment > Employment
- Employment > Health and safety
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Construction
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: Cambridge
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate: elsewhere in East Anglia
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Public sector > Public sector
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: Cambridge
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Cambridge
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Property litigation