BCTG Avocats > Paris, France > Firm Profile
BCTG Avocats Offices
53 rue des Belles Feuilles
BCTG Avocats > The Legal 500 RankingsBCTG Avocats has established itself as one of the few firms to turn to for high-stakes regulatory and permit authorisations relating to renewables projects in France. The firm acts in a high number of disputes in that area, including most of France’s landmark offshore wind projects in which the practice secured excellent results. The practice assists a large and prominent client base, notably wind and solar energy players. Lately, the team assisted clients with the development of new clean energy projects, such as self-consumption, hydrogen and ‘agrivoltaic’ projects (which combined a solar operation and agricultural activities). Corporate PPAs, and contract and corporate matters are other areas of strength. Star partner Paul Elfassi and the excellent Catherine Dupuy-Burin des Roziers and Diane Mouratoglou are the heads of the practice. M&A partner Alain de Rougé and public law counsel Nelsie Bergès are also noted.
Diane Mouratoglou; Catherine Dupuy-Burin des Roziers; Paul Elfassi
‘Excellent team in public law, both in an advisory capacity and in litigation.’
‘Paul Elfassi is an excellent adviser, always measured in his approach, who has very great expertise and mastery of regulations and jurisprudence. He is surrounded by a team of associates and counsel (in particular Nelsie Bergès) who are very sharp and competent. On the transactional side, strong competence from Diane Mouratoglou, and in M&A with Alain de Rougé.’
‘Very fine and very concrete knowledge of the renewable energy sector, the applicable regulations and of case law.’
‘Paul Elfassi and Nelsie Bergès are extremely available, know our cases very well and the various legal issues related to onshore wind power. We appreciate the quality and richness of their writing.’
EDF RENOUVELABLES Group
VSB ENERGIES NOUVELLES
- Acting for EDF RENOUVELABLES in a litigation regarding France’s biggest onshore windfarm project.
- Successfully represented EDF GROUPE et ENDBRIDGE (CONSORTIUM EOLIEN MARITIME FRANCE) in a litigation and the financing associated with three offshore windfarm projects.
- Assisting several clients with the implementation of agrivoltaïsm schemes (combining solar operation and agricultural activities).
Other key lawyers:
Nike/Converse Inc./All Star C.V.
Stada Arzneimittel/EG Labo
- Assisted and represented both NIKE, LVMH and LACOSTE in the elaboration of a joint strategy to carry out brand protection measures against the operators of the flea-market in Saint-Ouen, which is a hot spot for counterfeit retailers in the close suburb of Paris.
France > Environment Tier 3BCTG Avocats
Other key lawyers:
‘BCTG Avocats is a benchmark firm in the renewable energy sector and deserves its solid reputation. It has a diversified team, very committed and with cutting-edge expertise in renewable energies, expertise that it draws in particular from these multiple experiences as an advisor to all types of players in the sector.’
‘Paul Elfassi is remarkably clear in his explanations and his legal reasoning. He perfectly masters his field and is endowed with an agile mind. He is an excellent speaker. He is at the same time rigorous, creative and pragmatic in his advice. His great availability is greatly appreciated. He forms a very good pairing with Nelsie Bergès, who is just as competent and committed.’
‘Expertise in environmental law, high biodiversity stakes in our business sector, and the firm is particularly relevant and responsive (and proactive) in this regard.’
‘Paul Elfassi: available, concise.’
‘Nelsie Berges: available, concise and pragmatic.’
EDF RENOUVELABLES Group
PORT ATLANTIQUE LA ROCHELLE
VSB ENERGIES NOUVELLES
- Handling circa 180 litigations before administrative courts in respect of the validity and legality of the administrative authorisations that are necessary to build and operate a renewable energy project and other projects with environmental issues.
- Successfully represented EDF Group and Endbridge in litigation on the adequacy of the environmental impact studies associated with three offshore wind farm projects awarded to St Nazaire, Fécamp and Courseulles-sur-mer after the first state tender.
- Assisted Port Atlantique la Rochelle with the awarding of the public contract of new port facilities to modernise the port, advising the client on regulatory and environmental matters, including a complex litigation against the environmental authorisation.
Other key lawyers:
STADA (EG Labo)
Johnson & Johnson Santé Beauté France
- Representing EG Labo in proceedings challenging the legality of the creation of a group of generic drugs comprising a generic and a biological reference drug, which raises the issue of measuring the competitive impact resulting from the administrative assimilation of generic drugs and biosimilar drugs.
- Acting as counsel to Caudalie before the Belgian Competition Authority and before the AdlC and the French courts following a complaint filed by two Belgian online pharmacies for alleged resale price maintenance practices.
- Assisting Sandoz in various disputes relating to the interpretation of commercial agreements between Sandoz and pharmacists on the one hand, and between Sandoz and groups of pharmacists on the other.
‘A efficient team which always provides tailored advice and solutions to the matters I bring to them. I appreciate their focus on business implications and client-related constraints which contributes to satisfactory outcomes.’
‘I very much appreciate working with Gaëlle Bloret-Pucci. Her professionalism, strong experience in litigation and solid legal expertise contributed to the success of the case.’
All Star CV
‘The public law team offers real listening, great availability; they are pragmatic and support us to find solutions even in complex situations. They are also recommended for their accessibility, their expertise in the field of intervention (renewable energies sector), their relevance, and their humility.’
‘The partner in charge is very available and can be contacted, particularly if there is an emergency. He accompanies us on a day-to-day basis if necessary.’
GROUPE EDF RENOUVELABLES
VSB ENERGIES NOUVELLES
- Successfully represented the client in litigation and financing work associated to three offshore windfarm projects (St Nazaire, Fécamp and Courseulles-sur-mer).
- Advising Newmont on the progressive acquisition of major mining assets in French Guyana.
France > Employment Tier 4BCTG
Sabine de Paillerets
‘Absolute confidentiality. Availability. Speed of execution.’
‘Sabine de Paillerets knew how to perfectly integrate the time and dynamics specific to the matter into her strategy.’
‘Sabine de Paillerets has extensive knowledge of her clients’ activities and thus perfectly anticipates their constraints and their strategic implications. The gain in efficiency is particularly remarkable. She is also particularly available.’
RITUALS COSMETICS FRANCE
- Advising Nike France on the implementation and negotiation of a redundancy plan involving nearly 160 people.
- Representing GSF AERO in a dispute with ACNA (SERVAIR group) concerning the termination of a service contract which led to the transfer of employees (83 persons).
- Representing MPH group in a dispute with its ex-CEO and other ex-employees (six people) in the context of various proceedings initiated on the basis of unfair competition.
BCTG Avocats > Firm Profile
The firm: BCTG Avocats has developed a broad range of business law services, both in advisory and litigation matters, and focuses on delivering strategic advice. With extensive knowledge of the business world and current issues affecting the economy, the firm’s lawyers provide clients with tailored solutions that are aligned with their specific needs and business sectors.
A sustainable firm with a solid history: BCTG Avocats was founded in 1971; most of the partners have worked at the firm for over 15 years, and have developed strong long-standing client relationships.
An international outlook with a significant foreign client base: BCTG Avocats is one of the most enterprising firms in the international market, and is particularly involved in Africa and Japan. Partners of the firm are assigned to maintain business relationships in specific geographic regions, including Japan, South America, French-speaking Africa, North America and English-speaking countries, etc. BCTG is also able to support clients in their projects abroad through a network of referral firms, with which it has developed very close ties.
A unique and cross-disciplinary approach: the partners and teams across all the firm’s practice areas (public law, corporate, financing, employment, etc) work closely together to best meet clients’ needs.
Significant sectoral experience: BCTG Avocats has first-hand knowledge of many key industries (retail, health/pharmaceutical, digital, industry, infrastructures, sport, agrifood and culture & leisure etc). The firm is particularly well-versed in the energy sector, and has extensive legal and technical expertise in relation to industrial projects, particularly classified facilities subject to specific regulatory requirements, mining and renewable energy.
Areas of practice: Corporate – mergers and acquisitions: while advising in sectors as diverse as media, new technologies and telecommunications, retail, health and pharmaceutical, industry and logistics, BCTG Avocats is also well known for its practice in the energy sector, including renewable energies as well as oil and gas.
Labour law: BCTG Avocats operates in both the industrial and services sectors for international groups and large French firms assisting companies and their managers in individual or collective employment relations.
Intellectual property: BCTG Avocats advises clients on various aspects of intellectual property, particularly in the increasingly competitive environment of new technologies (data protection, fight against cyber-crime and internet piracy). The firm is also strongly identified as litigators and brand protection experts.
IT/Data: BCTG Avocats advises and assists its clients on a daily basis in the various issues related to digital, new technologies, IT & data protection, by providing strategic advice in the implementation and deployment of their digital transformation projects, particularly on the most innovative technologies on the market: Artificial Intelligence, blockchain, big data, connected objects, new methods of payment, in all type of industries.
Public business law: BCTG Avocats has widely recognised expertise in the support of urban planning or industrial projects requiring numerous authorisations or an environmental assessment. The firm also acts in the transfer and implementation of all government procurement contracts and provides consulting in public competition law and public domain law, to ensure the successful completion of complex operations. The team also assists their clients in all their contractual needs.
Competition/distribution/contracts: BCTG Avocats consults and assists its clients in the domains of competition and distribution at both French and European levels. BCTG Avocats has proven expertise in the domain of restriction of competition and the firm regularly assists its clients in their merger operations.
Litigation (conflict resolution/arbitration/mediation): BCTG Avocats has acquired considerable experience in the management of international litigation (for large foreign groups in France or abroad), and more generally in complex litigations involving several jurisdictions. BCTG Avocats has also developed specific expertise in arbitration and in alternative methods of dispute settlement.
|M&A / Private Equity||Séverin Kullmann|
|M&A / Private Equity||Alain de Rougé|
|M&A / Private Equity - Contracts||Catherine Dupuy-Burin des Roziers|
|M&A / Private Equity - Litigation||Clément Sabatier|
|M&A / Private Equity - Litigation||Augustin Nicolle|
|Litigation - Contracts||Diane Mouratoglou|
|Public business/environment||Paul Elfassi|
|Public contracts||Ludovic Babin|
|Labour||Sabine de Paillerets-Matignon|
|Intellectual property||Gaëlle Bloret-Pucci|
|IT / Data||Caroline Goupil|