Mr Karl Ghio > Hassans > Gibraltar, Gibraltar > Lawyer Profile
- Go to...
Mr Karl Ghio
Karl joined Hassans in 2012 and was made Partner on 1st July 2021. He specialises mainly in large real estate development finance transactions.
Karl is also regularly instructed to advise on the following:
- Construction law matters;
- The establishment of Gibraltar-based corporate and trust structures;
- The active management and control of Gibraltar companies, and
- Shareholder agreements.
Some notable examples of recent work that Karl has undertaken includes:
- Acted for Jyske Bank (Gibraltar) Limited in connection with its entry into a loan facility agreement with the developer of the Eurocity Development in Gibraltar;
- Acted for a limited partnership in connection with its participation in a multi-jurisdictional joint venture relating to an investment in Danish real estate worth approximately DKK 254.25m (approximately £30m);
- Acted for the developer of the Hub development in Gibraltar in respect of its entry into a loan facility agreement with the Royal Bank of Scotland International;
- Acted for the lender in respect of its entry into a loan facility agreement with the developer of a mixed-use development in Gibraltar consisting of 116 apartments, commercial units and amenities;
- Acted for Sunborn (Gibraltar) Limited in respect of the Gibraltar law aspects relating to the issuance of up to Euro 60,000,000 of Senior Secured Floating Rate Bonds which were listed on Nasdaq Stockholm, and
- Acted for the developer of the Midtown Development in Gibraltar in respect of its entry into a loan facility agreement with the Royal Bank of Scotland International.
Karl initially graduated from the University of Portsmouth with a Masters in Pharmacy with Upper Second Class Honours and thereafter worked as a community pharmacist in the United Kingdom for seven years.
He later chose to read law and attained the Graduate Diploma in Law from Nottingham Trent University. After completing the Bar Vocational Course from BPP University Law School in Leeds, Karl was called to the Bar of England and Wales in 2011, and the Gibraltar Bar in 2012. Karl is a member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn.
Hassans‘ ‘market-leading‘ real estate and construction practice has a strong track record in high-end residential and commercial sales, purchases, developments and leases. It also has extensive expertise acting for banks in lending on property. Nicholas Howard primarily works with developers across all facets of large-scale real estate developments. Ian Farrell‘s practice focuses on town planning work and contentious landlord and tenant engagements, while construction lawyer Gemma Vasquez continues to advise the government on construction aspects of the largest affordable housing scheme in Gibraltar. Corporate and tax partner Isaac Levy, development finance partner Karl Ghio and associates Meera Aswani and Stephanie Acris complete the standout team.