M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m) in United States
Akerman LLP is noted for the breadth of its middle-market M&A practice, where it handles a huge variety of buy- and sell-side M&A, leveraged recapitalizations and buyouts, distressed company transactions, cross-border acquisitions and investment deals, and joint ventures. Other areas of focus include foreign and domestic IPOs, secondary offerings and matters involving the use of SPACs. Among the team's clients are private equity firms, family offices, and other strategic investors, private and public companies, management teams, emerging companies and entrepreneurs. Jointly headed by Jonathan Awner and Carl Roston, the team is handling M&A and reorganizations, including pre- and post-merger restructuring work, for a number of well-known national and regional trading companies; however, the team has had particularly strong showings in the private investment space. Private equity and venture capital specialist Kenneth Wiggins is also recommended. Otavio Carneiro joined as partner in the Miami office from the Brazilian firm Veirano Advogados, strengthening the firm’s Brazilian inbound and outbound transactional expertise. Named attorneys are based in Miami.
Other key lawyers:
AE Industrial Partners, L.P.
Associated Grocers of Florida
Branford Castle Partners, LP
Carrols Restaurant Group
Ferguson Industries, Inc.
H.I.G. Capital, LLC
KLX, Inc (Note: KLX was purchased by Boeing for US$ 4.25 billion in May 2018)
Trivest Partners, L.P.
Warren Equity Partners
Fiesta Restaurant Group, Inc.
Carrols Restaurant Group, Inc.
Management of FastMatch, Inc.
Café X Communication
HC2 Holdings, Inc.
New Era Technology, Inc.
Resolute Forrest Products
XPO Logistics, Inc.
- Advised an affiliate of H.I.G. Capital in its acquisition of Craig Holdings, Inc.
- Represented Carrols Restaurant Group Inc. in the acquisition of 166 Burger King restaurants and 55 Popeyes restaurants from Cambridge Franchise Holdings, LLC.
- Represented a portfolio company of AE Industrial Partners in its acquisition of Provo, Utah-based Alpine Air Express Inc, a logistics and transportation platform providing regional air cargo services.
- Represented GWS Tool Holdings, LLC, a manufacturer of cutting tools and a portfolio company of Addison Capital Partners, in its sale to L Squared Capital Partners.
- Serving as outside general corporate and securities counsel to Fiesta Restaurant Group, Inc., the owner and operator or popular franchises Pollo Tropical and Taco Cabana restaurant brands.
Arnold & Porter's corporate and finance practice has M&A as its core focus. Chaired by Washington DC-based Kevin Lavin, the team advises strategic and financial buyers and sellers on stock, asset, and whole-business acquisitions, LBOs, and other corporate control transactions. The team also has the necessary skill sets to handle the financing for these transactions, and with a number of partners experienced in corporate governance, it is also well placed to handle the strategic management of public company clients. Moreover, the group is adept at handling transactions in regulated industries such as life sciences, financial services, government services, national security and cybersecurity. The M&A practice group is jointly led by San Francisco-based Edward Deibert and Derek Stoldt in New York. Another contact in the DC office is Matthew Owens, an experienced M&A practitioner who is rated for his work in the areas of healthcare and government contracting.
Other key lawyers:
American Securities LLC
BlueMountain Capital Management, LLC.
DC Capital Partners
First Republic Bank
Halifax Capital Partners
Resolute Energy Corporation
Ultra Electronics Holdings plc
- Advising Flushing Financial Corporation on its acquisition of Empire Bancorp, Inc. in a transaction valued at an estimated $111.6m.
- Advising Pfizer Inc., on its $340m acquisition of all the shares of Therachon Holding AG, a privately-held clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on rare diseases, with assets in development for the treatment of achondroplasia and short bowel syndrome.
- Advising Alcon Laboratories, Inc., a division of Novartis, on its $285m acquisition of PowerVision Inc., a medical device development company focused on creating fluid-based intraocular lens implants.
- Advising Reckitt Benckiser on its acquisition of UpSpring, Ltd., a pre- and post-natal healthcare products company.
- Advising Celestica, Inc. on its agreement to acquire Impakt Holdings, LLC for approximately $325m.
Ballard Spahr LLP advises domestic and international buyers and sellers, ranging from small private companies to publicly-listed multinationals, on middle- and lower-middle market transactions. Utilizing a multidisciplinary approach, the team is able to provide comprehensive service on transactions with demanding tax, securities, executive compensation and employee benefits, IP and environmental aspects. The team also has notable strengths in a huge variety of industry sectors. The M&A group is jointly led by Maggie Tatton in Minneapolis, and Brian Doerner, who also leads the firm's life sciences and technology group. Gregory Seltzer co-heads the emerging growth and venture capital group. Senior associate Amit Kakkar left the firm for an in-house role at Novartis. Named individuals are based in Philadelphia unless otherwise stated.
‘Focus and knowledge of the process of M&A’.
‘The team has deep experience in M&A, particularly private target deals and is thoughtful and extremely hard working’.
‘The team understands our company and businesses, which makes their approach to issues more thoughtful and tailored to our needs’.
Integrated Project Services (IPS)
C7 Data Centers
Color Spot Nurseries, Inc. and Hines Growers, Inc.
National Concessions Group, Inc. and Organa Brands
Brundage-Bone Concrete Pumping, Inc. and Concrete Pumping Holdings, Inc.
- Represented IPS and Alleghany Capital (PE Fund) in the acquisition of Cardinal Holdings, an architectural and design firm in the Boston region.
- Represented C7 Data Centers, Inc., a large Utah-based regional Tier IV data center, in connection to a merger with DB Data Center Holdings.
- Represented Qualified Opportunity Zone buyer in connection to the acquisition of MarketStar, Inc. from Omnicom.
- Represented California-based Color Spot and Hines Growers in the sale of substantially all of their assets to two buyers, following an auction of the companies’ assets in their bankruptcy cases filed in Delaware.
- Represented Organa Brands in the sale of its National Concessions Group operations to Slang Worldwide, a newly formed special purpose Canadian company.
Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP acts for buyers, sellers and investors in mid-market M&A and other strategic transactions. Among the firm's clients are public and private companies, private equity firms and family offices. Head of team Kimberly Petillo-Décossard has vast experience in M&A, as well as financing transactions and governance, disclosure and compliance matters; she has also shown her strength in deals executed through SPACs. Recently promoted partner Ross Sturman has broad-base expertise in M&A and public and private financing transactions, acting both for companies and financial institutions. John Schuster is another name to note for M&A, as well as bank financing and securities work. Also recommended are firm chairman William Hartnett, noted for his experience of the media, pharmaceuticals, telecoms, technology and gaming industries; and Joseph Rosati an up-and-coming associate in the practice group. All named attorneys are based in New York.
‘This firm takes client service to a whole new level – no detail is ignored’.
‘Bill Hartnett, Kim Petillo and Ross Sturman exemplify what it means to be in the client service business’.
‘Cahill provides a personal touch that I don’t receive at other law firms’.
‘They take an interest in the business goals of a transaction and vigorously focus on collaborating with a client to achieve those goals’.
‘Kimberly C. Petillo-Décossard is terrific, she is a practical leader focused on executing transactions for her clients’.
Envigo International Holdings, Inc.
Trans World Entertainment Corporation
Epta America, LLC
Founder of Mondo International
- Advised Envigo International Holdings, Inc. in connection with a complex, nearly-simultaneous, four-part M&A agreement, in which it undertook a sale, a spin-out, a purchase by the spin-out and a continuing services agreement between Envigo and LabCorp.
- Represented ICON plc in connection with the acquisition by a subsidiary of ICON plc, ICON Clinical Research LLC, of CRN Holdings LLC (dba as, Symphony Clinical Research).
- Advised 1-800-FLOWERS on a successful bid at a 363 bankruptcy auction for certain assets of the gourmet food business of the FTD Companies, Inc. (“FTD”), including the Shari’s Berries brand.
- Advised Embedded Healthcare on the creation of its entire corporate governance structure and guided it through a $3m seed financing.
- Advised Trans World Entertainment Corporation on a difficult proxy contest with a representative of its largest shareholder.
Choate, Hall & Stewart has a strong reputation in public and private M&A, acting for acquirers, targets, and financing sources. To support its public company work, the group also boasts a number of partners with extensive experience of corporate governance matters, including public company reporting and SEC compliance. Life sciences and technology are among the group's sector strengths, and in these areas the group is engaged by clients ranging from promising start-ups to public companies. Co-chair of the business and technology group John Pitfield is experienced in public offerings, tender offers and debt and equity financings both for US and Canadian companies. Joint practice head Brian Goldstein advises businesses in the healthcare sector on financings, strategic partnerships and licensing agreements, M&A, and various other corporate matters. Counsel Daniel Riley is also recommended for corporate and securities issues. Laurence Naughton left the firm for Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C.. All named attorneys based in Boston.
‘They have been my attorney for 35 years and I have the utmost confidence in their counsel’.
‘Very good business people with ethics and integrity’.
‘I trust that they are looking out for my company’s, and my best interests’.
SeaChange International, Inc.
Dennis J. Wilson Family Office
US Dermatology Partners (Oliver Street Dermatology)
Forrester Research, Inc.
- Represented Maine Pointe, LLC, a supply chain management consulting firm, in connection with its sale to SGS North America Inc.
- Represented Syntax Systems in two back-to-back acquisitions of technology companies EmeraldCube Solutions, an Atlanta-based IT services provider for business customers in the United States, and Freudenberg IT, a cloud services provider for enterprise customers in Europe, America and Asia.
- Represented Datawatch Corporation in its $176m sale to Altair Engineering, another public company.
- Represented Examity in securing $90m funding from Great Hill Partners, a leading Boston-based private equity firm.
- Represented BioAgilytix, a portfolio company of Riverside Partners and a provider of molecular bioanalysis services, in its sale to Cobepa S.A.
Eversheds Sutherland handles all types of corporate transactions for public and private companies, including large-scale joint ventures, private equity investments, strategic governance advice and securities compliance, corporate reorganizations and financing matters. The firm also utilizes its international platform to provide cohesive and comprehensive legal service in domestic and international deals. The team generates work from a variety of industry sectors, but has had particularly standout showings in the areas of energy, chemicals, financial services, and media and technology, as well as in the nascent cannabis sector. US head of corporate Robert Pile is a go-to advisor for payments-related technology companies and professional services businesses, while US head of M&A Robert Copps has been handling corporate and financing deals for several of the team's energy-sector clients, including EG America and Freepoint Commodities. Wade Stribling is a name to note for private equity work, and Washington DC-based Katie Blaszak is a key contact for deals in the media and publishing sectors. Associate Hill Jeffries is also recommended; as is Stacey Kern, who joined the Chicago office from Greenberg Traurig LLP. All attorneys are based in Atlanta unless otherwise stated.
Other key lawyers:
‘They provide very able guidance in a given transaction, but they have sufficiently broad expertise to provide a great resource for discussing different ideas and different possibilities’.
‘Wade Stribling has keen insights into business strategies and tactics’.
‘Mike Voynich excels at thinking through different options on deal structure that may better accomplish the client’s goals’.
‘Hill Jeffries must not require sleep, as I can always reach him, whatever the hour. His diligence and thoroughness are exemplary, and his intellect is obvious’.
“The team is very responsive and thorough, we pay the higher rates for the quality of service and expertise the firm has in managing our buy side M&A program’.
‘The team is very client-focused and has the breadth and depth of experience to best position clients for transactional success’.
‘They approach staffing very collaboratively, with a long term view focused on ensuring the client has the best partnering experience’.
‘They truly are full service, with all subject matter experts and a huge international reach that simplifies a lot of matters during a deal’.
‘The team are very commercial, they know how to navigate and elevate risk appropriately but ultimately are very solutions-focused’.
‘Their manner is constructive which helps cuts through the difficult issues’.
Advisor Group, Inc.
Brand Industrial Services
First Data Corporation (now Fiserv)
Freepoint Commodities LLC.
Great-West Life & Annuity Insurance Company
Gypsum Management & Supply
Interior Logic Group
MSouth Equity Partners
Nolan Transportation Group
Resurgent Financial Advisors
SSM Partners Growth Equity II
T5 Data Centers
TRP Construction Group Holdings
X-Elio (a KKR company)
- Representing EG America in the acquisition of a portfolio of 225 Mini Mart convenience stores, gas stations and other related assets from TravelCenters of America for approximately $330m.
- Represented USA Television Holdings LLC and USA Television MidAmerica Holdings (collectively, USA TV) in the sale of 11 local TV stations to Byron Allen’s Allen Media Group for the value of $290m.
- Representing Ricoh in its acquisition of DocuWare.
- Advised SSM Partners on the acquisition and recapitalization of a leading SaaS business providing marketing services to the after-market automotive industry; work included the infusion of $27m of growth equity capital, redemption of existing shareholders and additional debt financing.
- Advised GetSwift on its purchase of the assets of Delivery Biz Pro, a delivery software company and Web Software, including a stock purchase of Marketplace Connect.
Loeb & Loeb LLP’s M&A team is active in cross-border and cross-industry transactions, leveraging the strengths of the firm's media and entertainment, technology, advertising, healthcare, energy, sports and financial services practices to provide full legal support to public and private company clients irrespective of industry sector. Mitchell Nussbaum in New York co-chairs the capital markets and corporate group, and specializes in advising growth companies and underwriting banks on IPOs, follow-on public offerings, PIPE deals and other securities transactions. Los Angeles-based Arash Khalili jointly leads the team alongside Nussbaum; Khalili is particularly standout in the media and entertainment sector, advising on brand monetization and disputes in addition to M&A, investment deals and financing transactions. Deputy chair Steven Hurdle (also in Los Angeles) is a key contact for digital media tech start-ups and their founders and investors. Also recommended is Lloyd Rothenberg in New York, who advises both early-stage growth companies and more mature companies in the technology, media, marketing and advertising sectors.
‘They are thorough and thoughtful’.
‘Arash Khalili is the most dynamic and passionate person I have worked with in this space’.
‘Very experienced team’.
‘Very personal attention and responsiveness’.
NV5 Global, Inc.
Glassbridge Enterprises, Inc.
American All Waste LLC
Newhold Enterprises LLC
Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Corporation
Savitsky Satin Bacon & Bucci (SSBB)
Chardan Healthcare Acquisition Corp.
FAT Brands Inc.
Strategic Global Management Inc.
S4 Capital plc
Precision Kidd Acquisition, LLC
- Represented HF Foods Group Inc. in its $307m acquisition of B&R Global Holdings Inc., resulting in B&R Global Holdings becoming a wholly-owned subsidiary of HF Foods.
- Represented Akazoo Ltd., in its $280m merger with Modern Media Acquisition Corp. to become Akazoo S.A. (NASDAQ: SONG).
- Represented Chardan Healthcare Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), in its $250m merger with BiomX Ltd.
- Acted for Annapurna Pictures in connection to the formation of its U.S. distribution joint venture with MGM; including in its debt and equity recapitalization, holding company reorganization and a $350m senior secured revolving credit facility with JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.
- Advised Great Lakes Dredge and Dock Corporation on the $17.5m disposition of their Environmental & Infrastructure business segment.
Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, LLP is adept at handling M&A transactions, private equity and venture capital transactions and securities offerings in the technology, energy, financial services, infrastructure, communications and healthcare sectors. The core client base is composed of public and private companies, private equity firms, and investment banks. For public company work in particular, the practice group is also experienced in corporate governance matters, shareholder disputes and internal corporate investigations. New York-based practice co-head Jonathan Russo is noted for his expertise in corporate governance and reporting requirements, and is thus well placed to handle private and public company M&A. Justin Hovey jointly heads the team from the San Francisco office; he specializes in start-up formation, venture capital financings and M&A, and is also knowledgeable of corporate governance in this space. Chris Patay in Los Angeles is also recommended. The team in New York was further bolstered by the arrival of Jon Lyman from Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP, and Augusto Lima, who joined from an in-house role at Novartis.
‘Pillsbury Winthrop attorneys are very highly regarded in Silicon Valley, especially as company-side advocates, although the firm has equally great expertise representing investors, lenders and acquirers’.
‘The firm has very low attrition of its seasoned practitioners, indicative of the firm being a happy healthy work environment with a stable, happy client base’.
‘The biggest strength is that in addition to the great command of the law, these lawyers really have great judgment’.
‘They know how to get deals done, and they know which battles to fight and which to retreat from’.
‘Their advice and guidance is practical and business-focused’.
‘These lawyers really have great judgment, know how to get deals done, and never let ego get in the way’.
‘Pillsbury has specialized staff members in each field, and I felt that they were working as a team with appropriate and efficient sharing’.
‘Extremely experienced and practical deal team’.
‘Exceptional deal advice across the spectrum of skill sets in a timely manner’.
‘Very personable and dedicated individuals that conduct themselves professionally with the utmost integrity’.
Bal Seal Engineering, Inc.
Foursquare Labs, Inc.
NextEra Energy Transmission, LLC
Sinclair Broadcast Group
- Represented Gordon Pointe Acquisition Corp. (“GPAQ”) in its announced $390m business combination with HOF Village, LLC.
- Represented Bal Seal Engineering, Inc. in its pending $330m sale to Kaman Corporation.
- Advised Grammer AG on its $271m acquisition of Toledo Molding & Die Inc.
- Represented software-defined storage innovator Hedvig Inc. in its acquisition by Commvault for $255m.
- Represented Delta Electronics, Inc. in its acquisition of Amerlux, LLC for $90m.
‘Highly responsive, knowledgeable, thorough and nimble’, Seyfarth Shaw LLP has recognized expertise in middle-market M&A. The firm has a strong nationwide footprint, but is also well placed to handle cross-border transactions working in conjunction with its global network spread throughout the UK, Europe and Asia. A full-service firm by nature, the corporate lawyers are routinely acting alongside their colleagues in the healthcare, fintech, labor and employment, antitrust, privacy and security, and litigation departments. Areas of focus include strategic investment, post-merger integration and regulatory matters. Multinational corporates and private investors, including venture capital firms, make up the bulk of the client base. Key figures in the team include Suzanne Saxman in Chicago, who has been leading corporate matters for clients in the chemicals, consumer products and healthcare sectors; and New York-based Andrew Lucano, an experienced partner in the team who has broad-base expertise in corporate and securities transactions. Also of note, the team welcomed a number of new arrivals over the past year, including that of Paul Kruger in New York, who joined from Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP.
Other key lawyers:
‘Suzanne Saxman is great to have on your side. She will ferociously defend you when necessary but works to facilitate agreement without compromising the client’s position or goals’.
‘Companies would be hard-pressed to find a more technically sophisticated, business savvy and efficient corporate attorney than Andrew Lucano for middle market M&A across the US’
‘Suzanne Saxman is always calm, offers multiple perspectives and options and a suggested path forward’.
‘The team is wonderful. They are cohesive and completely complement one another in their unique specialties’.
‘Their subject matter expertise is excellent, but more importantly, their bedside manner when dealing with the other side in a difficult negotiation creates an environment to effectively close deals and not get bogged down in petty disagreements’.
‘Suzie Saxman is an exceptional partner. She possesses deep knowledge across a wide variety of topics related to complex acquisitions and she manages her team and other resources within the firm to maximize efficiency’.
‘Suzie Saxman coordinates and leads the team with intelligence, grace, and humor’.
‘The team is creative and resourceful, perhaps more willing to focus on a range of tickets than larger firms, which may only want large tickets’.
‘Highly responsive, knowledgeable, thorough and nimble’.
‘Suzie Saxman is a superb M&A lawyer who really knows what works and what doesn’t in M&A’.
Auxo Management L.P.
Franco Signor, LLC
Memorial Clinical Associates, P.A.
Xpressdocs Holdings, Inc.
University of Redlands
- Represented SquareTrade in its acquisition of iCracked Inc.
- Represented Auxo Management, L.P. in an equity sale of one Canadian subsidiary and mergers of two US subsidiaries to Twin Point Capital.
- Represented Franco Signor in an investment deal with BV Investment Partners.
- Represented CrimeFinders, Inc. and it’s controlling stockholder in the sale of CrimeFinders to Appriss Inc.
- Represented Memorial Clinical Associates and PMC Ventures in a sale to VillageMD.
Squire Patton Boggs’ US corporate M&A team is supported by a global network of offices, enabling the firm to provided end-to-end service both in domestic and multi-jurisdictional M&A and securities transactions. The firm acts for public and private companies in a wide range of industry sectors, including automotive and aviation, diversified industrials, chemicals, financial services, food and beverage, and consumer products. Daniel Berick in Cleveland chairs the Americas group within the firm's global corporate practice and also co-heads the global family office team. Berick advises private equity and venture capital firms, and family offices on portfolio company transactions, fund formations, and various securities and corporate law issues. Cleveland office managing partner Michele Connell is another name to note; a member of the firm’s Latin America executive committee, she has particular experience of transactions involving the Brazilian market. Scott Rafshoon joined from Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP in Atlanta, and Phoenix-based Jaime Daddona is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
The Timken Company
Lassonde Industries Inc.
Hitachi Construction Machinery Co
Broadridge Financial Solutions, Inc.
The Procter & Gamble Company
The Sherwin-Williams Company
East West Manufacturing, LLC
Asahi Kasei Homes
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Nuverra Environmental Solutions, Inc.
JBS USA Food Company
- Advised UK-based GB Group plc on its $300m acquisition of Atlanta-based IDology
- Advised Cedar Fair, LP on the signing of a definitive agreement for the $261m acquisition of two water parks and a resort in Texas – Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort New Braunfels and Schlitterbahn Waterpark Galveston.
- Advised EG Retail (America), LLC on its $155m acquisition of Certified Oil Company.
- Advised Coats Group plc on the $37m sale of its North American Crafts Division to SpinRite Holdings.
- Acted for Fastrac EG, LLC, a subsidiary of EG Retaul (America), LLC, which has agreed to acquire substantially all of the assets of Fastrac Markets, L.L.C. and Fastrac Transportation, LLC, including 54 c-stores and Fastrac-branded gas stations for $270m.
Vedder Price advises public and private companies on M&A and private equity transactions, both nationwide and internationally. The practice group has shown its ability to ably act for financial institutions and private investors, including private equity firms, hedge funds and family offices in the financial services and banking, healthcare, construction, gaming, aerospace and investment services industries. Practice co-head Michael Nemeroff is a name to note for hedge fund transactions and private equity deals including leveraged and management buyouts, and Shelby Parnes is a contact for governance issues, including SEC filings, cross-border investigations and crisis management. Also recommended are Venu Talanki and Joseph Kye, who specializes in mid-market transactions and financings, and associate Benjamin Williams, an up-and-comer in the team who has developed experience in the healthcare industry. John McEnroe has retired. Attorneys listed are based in Chicago.
‘Fast, efficient, broad knowledge and strong bench in many different areas’.
‘Business knowledge and commercial pragmatism are key standout features’.
‘Their knowledge of business, profit and loss statement, and tax risks is unparalleled and adds real value to every transaction’.
‘Their responsiveness and deep understanding of the transactions, including complex financial structures, are head and shoulders above what I have received from law firms with much higher rates’.
‘Joseph Kye is extremely sharp and pays attention to the nuances in drafting complex concepts’.
‘Joseph Kye is an aggressive negotiator but is always civil’.
Ace Hardware Corporation
L Squared Capital Partners
The Duchossois Group, Inc./Duchossois Group, Inc.
Merit Capital Partners
The Edgewater Funds
Valor Equity Partners
RoundTable Healthcare Partners
Vance Street Capital Partners
LaSalle Capital Partners
Rockwood Equity Partners
- Represented Rockwood Equity Partners in connection with the acquisition of SYNEO, LLC.
- Represented Confluent Health, an Edgewater Funds portfolio company, in its sale to Partners Group.
- Represented ITE Management in connection with the financing of its acquisition of railcar manufacturer American Railcar Industries, Inc.
- Represented Balmoral Funds in its investment in KP Aviation.
Venable LLP is recognized for its broad corporate expertise, covering public and private company transactions and financing deals, company formation, joint ventures, tender offers and control deals, reorganizations and liquidations. The firm also has complementary strengths in restructuring, strategic governance and securities compliance, and tax structuring. Included in its varied client roster are Fortune 100 companies, emerging growth companies, international and regional entrepreneurs, REITS, venture capitalists, financing institutions and private investors. Washington DC-based practice co-head Robert Bolger Jr is adept at business planning and corporate entity formations, advising on issues including taxation, initial capitalization and other financing deals. with a particular focus on the hospitality, marketing, technology and entertainment sectors. Charles Morton Jr, who also co-heads the team, splits his time between the Washington DC and Baltimore office, and is a key advisor for private equity groups, banks, and entrepreneurs. Ronn Davids in Los Angeles is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘All members of the team work seamlessly together and always perform at a high level’.
‘They are extremely responsive and if one of them is unavailable for an urgent matter, someone else on the team will be able to fill in’.
‘They have high morale and are supportive of one another’.
‘As a group, they are more responsive and cost-effective than the teams I have worked with at other firms’.
‘All of the individuals in the group are extremely responsive’.
‘All of the Venable individuals I have worked with in or through the corporate group stand out from the attorneys at competitive firms because they are more responsive, cost-effective, and practical’.
Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Griffin Capital Essential Asset REIT, Inc.
PapGene, Inc. (“PapGene”)
Bento Box Entertainment, LLC
- Represented PapGene, Inc. in its $110m merger with Thrive Earlier Detection Corp, a company founded by healthcare venture capital firm Third Rock Ventures.
- Represented long-time firm client Bento Box Entertainment in its sale to Fox Entertainment.
- Advising ClassPass Inc. on its acquisition of Singapore-based Guava Holdings Pte Ltd.
- Advised GenRock Investment Fund I, LP and its affiliates on the acquisition of a portfolio of 42 Pizza Hut restaurants throughout the Baltimore, Maryland metropolitan region.
- Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Griffin Capital Essential Asset REIT, Inc. in its consideration and approval of a $230m self-administration transaction.
Foley Hoag LLP
Foley Hoag LLP has experience of a wide range of corporate matters, including private equity buy-outs and post-buy-out liquidity events, corporate M&A, divestitures and strategic investments, tax planning and corporate governance. Life sciences, technology, energy, professional services and investment management have been recent areas of activity for the practice group, which is jointly chaired by Alexander Aber and Joseph Basile, the latter of whom has over 35 years' experience in complex M&A, control and minority investments, large-scale joint ventures and strategic alliances. A contact in New York is Adrienne Ellman, who was recently promoted to practice co-chair and specializes in the private equity space. Also recommended is newly promoted partner Corey Brown, a name to note for corporate governance issues. All named partners are based in Boston unless otherwise stated.
‘Good team leadership and depth of disciplines and experience’.
‘Adept at bringing in international experts when needed’.
‘They have taken the time to truly understand the unique aspects of our business both financially and strategically’.
‘Excellent knowledge and industry insights; excellent attention to detail and business oriented’.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Organogenesis Holdings Inc.
Mill Road Capital Management LLC
The Kraft Group LLC (Rand-Whitney Container LLC and New-Indy Containerboard LLC
Global Forest Products LP
Recorded Future, Inc.
- Acted as lead counsel to Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. in its $477m acquisition of the Advanced Bioprocessing business of Becton, Dickinson and Company.
- Advised OnShape on the signing a definitive agreement to sell the business to PTC for approximately $470m.
- Acted as deal counsel for New-Indy Containerboard, LLC in its $300m acquisition of the Catawba, South Carolina paper and pulp mill business owned by Resolute Forest Products Inc.
- Advised specialty chemicals company Entegris, Inc. on the acquisition of MPD Chemicals for approximately $165m.
- Served as US counsel to KVH Industries, Inc. in the sale of its Videotel business to Oakley Capital Limited for $90m.
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP stands out for its activity across the full lifecycle of businesses, from initial organization and funding, through to follow-on financing rounds, M&A, and any potential liquidity events. Areas of focus for the team include LBOs, equity financings, add-on acquisitions, leveraged dividends and divestitures. In addition, the team's transactional work is ably supported by experts from across the firm's tax, antitrust, insolvency and restructuring, and banking and finance teams. The team generates mandates from a variety of core industry sectors, though some of its most interesting work over the past year was in the developing cannabis sector, where global practice head Mark Grossmann acted for GR Companies, a vertically integrated multi-state cannabis operator, in its agreement to be acquired by Curaleaf Holdings. Also recommended are Kenneth Miller, who co-heads the private equity group, and New York-based Brian Hecht, who joined the firm from Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Named attorneys based in Chicago unless otherwise stated.
GR Companies, Inc.
SP Plus Corporation
ExploreUSA RV Supercenters
Improving Holdco, Inc.
Blue River PetCare Group
CR Fitness Holdings, LLC
BBH Capital Partners
Highlander Partners, L.P.
- Represented SP Plus Corporation in its acquisition of Baggage Airline Guest Services, Inc. and Home Serv Delivery, LLC, their subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, “Bags”), for an all cash purchase price of $275m.
- Represented Keeco LLC in its $126m acquisition of the North American assets of Springs Global US, Inc.
- Represented Improving Holdco, Inc. in the purchase of all the membership interests in Innovative Architects, LLC from Philip D. Michaels for total consideration up to $34.6m.
- Represented Victory Park Capital Advisors, LLC in the merger of its portfolio company Enteris BioPharma, Inc. with SWK Acquisition Corporation, a subsidiary of SWK Holdings Corporation.
- Represented Browz LLC, a software company, in its merger with Avetta, a provider of SaaS-based supply chain risk management software.
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP focuses on mid-market M&A and private equity work, acting for a range of public and private companies, insurers, private equity investors and hedge funds, as well as for venture capitalists and individual investors. Headed by Ernest Wechsler and James Moriarty, the team is active across a variety of industry sectors, including education, technology, financial services, manufacturing, real estate, energy, and media, sports and entertainment. Moriarty in particular is recognized for his work in the private equity space. Also recommended are Howard Spilko, who was recently named co-managing partner, and Thomas Molner, a notable practitioner for securities and corporate finance work, as well as for business combination transactions. Scott Abramowitz left the firm for Ropes & Gray LLP. Attorneys listed are based in New York.
‘Excellent knowledge and experience in key areas’.
Stone Point Capital
VICI Properties Inc.
Premier Brands Group
Focus Financial Partners
Atlantic Street Capital
NXT Capital Inc.
Medley Capital Corp.
National General Holdings Corp.
Sentinel Capital Partners
Waterfall Asset Management
Kestra Advisor Services
Lee Equity Partners
Education Growth Partners
- Represented Stone Point Capital in its $340m acquisition of the Rialto Investment and Asset Management business from Lennar Corp.
- Represented Deloitte LLP in its acquisition of Magnetic Media Online Inc.
- Represented Focus Financial Partners in its $235m acquisition of Loring Ward Holdings.
- Represented Quad Partners in its sale of Rubicon, the provider of Atlas curriculum management, to Faria Education Group Limited, a leading international education systems company.
- Represented Medley Capital Corp. in its acquisition by Sierra Income Corp.
McGuireWoods LLP advises private and public companies on the buy and sell sides of stock purchases and M&A, divestitures and other global business combinations. Highlights over the past year have shown the team's strengths in the areas of healthcare, industrials, technology, financial services, real estate and energy, and indeed, in addition to its company M&A, the practice group also has notable expertise in private equity exits and financial advisory matters. Richmond-based Michael Woodard chairs the firm’s global M&A and corporate transactions department and also leads the renewable energy practice, having developed a reputation for advising large US energy companies and project developers. Chicago-based Geoffrey Cockrell chairs the private equity group. Also of note, the group was strengthened by the arrival of three partners from Winston & Strawn LLP; Deepak Reddy joined the New York office, while Thomas DeSplinter and Gregory Hawver joined in Chicago.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is innovative when providing solutions to complex problems and seamlessly advises across multiple jurisdictions, including coordinating with local counsel’.
‘They can take a complicated situation and simplify it without compromising our position’.
‘They are efficient and know how to run a transaction’.
‘The individuals understand our company and have been representing us since our inception’.
Dominion Energy, Inc. (NYSE: D)
Speedway Motorsports, Inc. (NYSE: TRK)
Teledyne Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: TDY)
SPX Corp. (NYSE: SPX)
GWG Holdings, Inc.
10 Point Capital
Compass Group USA
Performance Food Group
- Served as legal counsel to Speedway Motorsports Inc. (SMI) in a $233.8m deal that will realign ownership of some of the nation’s most storied NASCAR racing venues, including Charlotte Motor Speedway, Atlanta Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway.
- Assisted Essentra plc in the $48m sale of its pipe-protection technologies business to National Oilwell Varco Inc.
- Advised SPX Corporation on a $77m acquisition of marine and aviation lighting assets from Carmanah Technologies.
- Represented Performance Food Group Company in its acquisition of Eby-Brown Company LLC, a distributor of pre-packaged candy, snacks, specialty beverages and tobacco products in the convenience industry.
- Represented client Compass Group in several transactions over the last year, including the $230m acquisition of four divisions of VGM Group Inc., a group purchasing organization headquartered in Waterloo, Iowa.
Nixon Peabody LLP is recognized for its broad-base expertise in M&A, private equity and venture capital financings and LBOs, large joint ventures, and other corporate transactions, both domestically and internationally. Active for a variety of investors, private and large public companies, entrepreneurs and C-level executives, the team has demonstrated strengths in the food and beverage, agribusiness, consumer products, life sciences, healthcare, manufacturing, technology and energy sectors. Newly appointed corporate practice group leader Christopher Keefe focuses on mid-market M&A transactions, while David Martland has developed a reputation for handling significant strategic transactions for investment funds, healthcare businesses and not-for-profits. Washington DC-based John Partigan chairs the firm’s nationwide securities practice and is noted in particular for his work in the media industry. Attorneys are based in Boston unless otherwise stated.
‘Nixon Peabody excels at supporting our business’.
‘Helped us get established across all fifty states, Canada, Mexico and UK’.
‘I recommend them highly to middle market firms seeking expert legal work in M&A, corporate and commercial law’.
Refresco Holding North America
Constellation Brands, Inc.
ENGIE North America Inc.
The Boston Beer Company
The Coca Cola Company of New England
- Represented The Boston Beer Company in its acquisition of Dogfish Head Brewery in a cash and stock transaction, valued at approximately $300m.
- Acted for Capax Global, LLC, in connection to its acquisition by Hitachi Solutions America, Ltd. in a membership interest purchase transaction.
- Represented ENGIE North America Inc. in its acquisition of all of the equity of Conti Service Corporation, ION Electric, LLC, Indicon Corporation and thirteen of their subsidiaries.
- Represented Merck KGaA, and its wholly owned subsidiary, Ares Trading SA, in the assignment of certain exclusive Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cell development rights to Intrexon Corporation in return for $150m in Intrexon common stock.
- Assisted Medicus Healthcare Solutions with the sale of its business to the private equity fund Beecken Petty O’Keefe & Company.
Seward & Kissel LLP has considerable expertise in M&A in the investment management and shipping industries, though the firm's strengths also extend to the media, real estate and business services sectors. The team regularly acts for private equity firms, international businesses and financial services companies in a huge variety of domestic and cross-border corporate and financing transactions. James Abbott co-heads the ‘incredibly strong team’, and has vast experience in international sell-side M&A, private equity deals and joint venture transactions. Joint practice head Craig Sklar is a name to note for venture capital transactions, and Nick Katsanos has niche experience of corporate matters in the veterinary sector. Senior associate Danielle Lemberg is also recommended. All named attorneys are in New York.
‘Incredibly strong team’
‘Thorough knowledge of investment management industry’.
‘Excellent understanding of deal dynamics and ability to propose adapted solutions’.
‘Unique capabilities for a mid-size law firm that is second to none’.
‘They were able to provide not only legal support but sound business advice with a focus on what was important and what was not’.
‘A class act at a reasonable price point’.
‘Strategic thinking on how to manage the process and the various parties involved in the transaction’.
‘James (Jim) Abbott was the senior statesman on our deal and offered strategic guidance on key terms and issues, as well as encyclopedic knowledge of industry norms and standards’.
‘Nick Katsanos was a true workhorse who solved complex problems, was proactive in managing the process to completion, and became a confidant to our CEO on key issues’.
‘Craig Sklar and Gerhard Anderson are hands on, practical attorneys who provide clients with different alternatives and methodologies that bring all parties to where they want to be with respect to a merger or acquisition’.
iM Global Partner
Sandler O’Neill + Partners
Ocean Rig UDW Inc.
First Long Island Investors
Kudu Investment Management
Pet Emergency & Specialty Care of Marin
TOPO Research LLC
- Acted for First Long Island Investors, LLC in connection to its sale of a passive minority stake to Kudu Investment Management LLC.
- Represented California-based PESCM, Inc. in the sale of Pet Emergency & Specialty Center of Marin to Ethos Veterinary Health.
- Acted for TOPO Research in connection to its sale to Gartner Inc.
- Represented DryShips in its going private acquisition by SPII Holdings.
- Represented iM Global Partner in its acquisition of a minority interest in Scharf Investments.
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP handles a broad range of transactional and general corporate matters for public and private companies both domestically and internationally. It provides full legal support on M&A and LBOs, financing transactions, recapitalizations, public offerings, real estate capital markets transactions and joint ventures. The firm's highlights also illustrate the team's ability to work across industry sectors, with recent work covering the IT, healthcare, consumer goods, aerospace and defense, financial services, and food and beverage industries. The corporate and securities practice group is jointly led by Century City-based Jeryl Bowers and Linda Michaelson, alongside Ariel Yehezkel in New York. Will Chuchawat leads the M&A team in Los Angeles, where he represents public and private companies, private equity clients, and venture capital investors.
Other key lawyers:
‘Partners directly work on the matters’.
‘I feel like the deal is in good, capable hands’.
Alaska Permanent Fund Corp.
CA Technologies (formerly Computer Associates)
Lions Gate Entertainment Corp
Samsung Semiconductor, Inc
Signet Healthcare Partners
- Represented Harris Ranch Beef Holding Company in the $330m sale of stock to Central Valley Meat Holding Company.
- Represented Primal Nutrition, LLC in its $200m acquisition by The Kraft Heinz Company.
- Represented Prime Shine, LLC in its $169.4m acquisition by PS Acquisition Sub Corp., an affiliate of Car Wash Partners, Inc. and Leonard Green & Partners.
- Represented Bison Capital Partners in the $120m sale of its portfolio company Lime Energy Co. to Willdan Energy Solutions.
- Represented Pacific Rim Capital, Inc. in a $114m sale of stock to Fuyo General Lease Co., Ltd.
Sullivan & Worcester LLP handles a broad range of corporate M&A and related matters, including governance and securities compliance, REIT transactions and tax matters. Of particular note, the team has niche expertise in advising Israeli companies on securities offerings on Nasdaq, and in this regard the team often finds itself acting for clients in the tech sector. Further sector strengths include financial services, communications, manufacturing, defense, information storage, life sciences, media and communications, healthcare, and renewable energy. Practice head Lewis Segall has experience of public and private financing transactions, as well as domestic and international M&A. Benjamin Armour is a contact for public company matters and SEC reporting, in addition to his more traditional transactional work. The team was also strengtheend over the past year by the arrival of four partners in New York: Thomas Huszar joined from Moritt Hock & Hamroff LLP, and John Riley, David Danovitch and Scott Miller joined from Robinson Brog. Further, Angela Gomes joined the Boston office from Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP. Named attorneys are based in Boston unless otherwise stated.
Other key lawyers:
‘They provided senior level talent who had significant experience and ability’.
‘The engagement was brought in on budget’.
Money in Motion
Pointer Telocation Systems Ltd. (Nasdaq: PNTR)
Bioblast Pharma Ltd.
Social Fulcrum LLC
Reason Capital Group LLC
- Represented Money in Motion in its sale of shares of bKash Limited, a Bangladeshi company, to Alipay, a Chinese company.
- Represented Halo2Cloud, LLC, a leading direct-to-consumer mobile accessories company with an extensive intellectual property portfolio and international operations, in its $43m sale to ZAGG Inc.
- Represented Pointer Telocation Systems Ltd. in its $140m acquisition by I.D. Systems Inc.
- Represented Applied Plastics Co. in its acquisition by Los Angeles-based private equity firm Vance Street Capital.
- Represented Reason Capital Group LLC in its acquisition of Bematech International Corp. from Bematech S.A., a subsidiary of Brazilian public company TOTVS S.A.
Blank Rome LLP's core corporate groups are based in New York and Philadelphia, though the team also has strong on-the-ground presence in Pittsburgh, Washington DC and Los Angeles. True to the wider-firm's sector strengths, the corporate group is especially active in the areas of insurance, government contracting, professional service and maritime and transportation. It is also recognized for its ability to advise on IP-heavy transactions in the areas of fashion and brand management. A key figure in the team is New York-based Peter Schnur, who has extensive experience advising on domestic and cross-border corporate and private equity transactions, as well as on related regulatory issues such as antitrust and securities compliance. Schnur jointly heads the national corporate, M&A, and securities practice alongside Louis Rappaport in Philadelphia, who focuses on M&A for emerging companies and middle-market businesses. Jeffrey Cohen joined the team in New York from Baker McKenzie LLP.
Other key lawyers:
‘This firm is loyal, dedicated, cost effective, efficient, business orientated, creative, and for us always understands and advises on structure and all issues’.
‘They have a strong bench, are collegial and cooperative and extremely responsive’.
Flutter (Paddy Power Betfair)
J.F. Lehman & Company
- Advised ice hockey team, the Arizona Coyotes, on its sale to billionaire Alex Meruelo.
- Represented Northern Lights Enterprises, a manufacturer of scented and designer candles, in its sale to a subsidiary of Zippo Manufacturing.
- Represented Cohen Media Group in its purchase of Landmark Theatres.
- Represented entertainment company Backstage in its sale to a private equity firm.
- Assisted Siena Capital Finance, an asset-based lending business, with a deal in which it was acquired by Business Development Corporation of America.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP fields a very large team of corporate specialists in offices across the US and the globe, enabling seamless legal support in M&A, strategic investment deals, and securities transactions. Of note, the practice group regularly appears on league leaderboards in venture capital transaction deal-count, and thanks in part to its international office network, the team is also strongly positioned to handle cross-border deals involving participants in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia. Domestically, the team has an especially strong presence in the Midwest, with offices in St. Louis and Kansas City, though it also houses active corporate lawyers in Atlanta and Denver, as well as on the West Coast, in Los Angeles. John Welge leads the M&A and corporate finance practice from St. Louis.
American Electric Power
Emerson Electric Co.
Cobalt Ventures, the captive private equity subsidiary of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City
Broadmark Real Estate Lending Companies
- Assisted Elanco Animal Health with its acquisition of Aratana Therapeutics.
- Represented Emerson in its purchase of the Spence and Nicholson product lines for approximately $84.5m.
- Represented Urban Commons as the buyer in its $152m acquisition of The Wagner at the Battery (formerly the Ritz-Carlton), a luxury hotel in Battery Park City.
- Acted as lead counsel for Citizens Rx, a pharmacy benefit management company, and its management team/founders in a minority recapitalization lead by Cornell Capital and its affiliates.
- Represented AEP Clean Energy Resources LLC in its purchase of Sempra Renewables LLC.
Foley & Lardner LLP
Foley & Lardner LLP has advised banks, small and mid-market businesses, listed companies, entrepreneurs and emerging growth companies on M&A, divestitures, spin-offs and joint ventures and various other domestic and cross-border transactions. Detroit-based Daljit Doogal chairs the national business law department; David Sanders in Washington DC acts as vice chair.
Other key lawyers:
Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
Kelley Drye & Warren LLP has strengths across a range of corporate mandates, and indeed, its recent work had revealed the team's ability to act in complex restructuring matters, securities transactions, cross-border business and asset transactions, private equity deals and fund management work. In this regard, the firm's corporate lawyers are routinely working alongside their colleagues in the banking and capital markets, tax and real estate fund departments. The team acts as outside general counsel for small public and privately-held companies with no in-house team. Timothy Lavender chairs the national corporate group and acts as relationship partner for many of the team's most significant clients. Also recommended are Andrew Pillsbury, who has had an active year in M&A and financing transactions, both nationally and internationally; and special counsel Jennifer Norkus, who also has experience in cross-border transactions. All named attorneys are based in Chicago.
Brown Gibbons Lang & Company
Lifeway Foods, Inc
- Represented Brown Gibbons Lang & Company in the restructuring of its business, including balancing aspects of financial, tax and regulatory issues, while maintaining the organization’s culture.
- Represented Quinn Fisheries in the purchase of six marine fishing vessels and permits from the infamous Carlos “the Codfather” Rafael.
- Representation of Lifeway Foods in ongoing public securities and corporate governance matters.
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton has an impressive corporate clients base, indicative of the team's ability to handle large-scale national and international transactions, both in the middle- and upper-markets. Of particular note over the past year, the team handled multibillion-dollar deals for well-known corporates such as AT&T and Delta Air Lines, as well as for banking clients including Beneficial Mutual Bancorp and State Bank Financial Corp. The firm's financial services and banking-sector work extends also to the middle market, where it is a go-to legal team for M&A involving state and regional banks. Contacts in the practice group include Atlanta-based Richard Cicchillo Jr, who chairs the M&A, securities and corporate practice, and is also recognized for his IP development and licensing work; Christina Gattuso, who leads the financial institutions practice in Washington DC; and Louis Barbieri III, another name to note in the Atlanta office.
Other key lawyers:
Delta Air Lines
Beneficial Mutual Bancorp, Inc.
State Bank Financial Corp.
United Capital Financial Partners, Inc.
SI Financial Group, Inc.
Sandy Spring Bancorp, Inc.
- Represented OneTrust, a privacy management software company, in the closing of a private placement of convertible preferred securities, which raised $200m for the startup.
- Served as legal counsel to SI Financial Group, Inc. and its subsidiary, Savings Institute Bank and Trust Company, in its all-stock sale to Berkshire Hills Bancorp, Inc. valued at $182.2m.
- Represented Sandy Spring Bancorp in a $175m subordinated debt offering.
- Represented Columbia Bank and its holding company, Columbia Financial, Inc., in its merger with Stewardship Financial Corporation, the holding company for Atlantic Stewardship Bank.
- Represented First Advantage Bancorp the parent company of First Advantage Bank in its $123.4m sale to Reliant Bancorp, Inc.
Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP has a reputation for handling corporate and financing transactions in the healthcare, technology and financial services sectors, and indeed, the team's past work has shown a particular strength in bank M&A. Contacts in the team include Craig Miller is San Francisco and Aydin Caginalp in Los Angeles. Matthew O’Loughlin and Ben Orlanski left the firm for Proskauer Rose LLP.
Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP
The team at Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP is ‘totally client-focused and sensitive to balancing contractual risk and business risk’. Headed by Robert Gerber, the corporate and securities practice group is especially well regarded in the metals and mining space, where it and focuses on counseling private companies on transactional and governance issues, advising on a full range of corporate transactions and securities offerings, private equity investments, corporate restructurings and succession planning. Michael Gray leads the private equity, venture capital and growth companies practice, and also heads the firm's fund formation and investment management practice. Philippe Blanchard left the firm to co-found Sweeney, Scharkey & Blanchard. All named attorney are based in Chicago.
‘Michael Gray and his team are the best attorneys I’ve ever worked with’.
‘Their quality of work is above anyone else and they take a business hat approach to help solve legal issues’.
‘Totally client-focused and sensitive to balancing contractual risk and business risk’.
‘Michael Gray is an outstanding attorney, he provides excellent, business-informed counsel and does not hesitate to seek legal experts, even if outside the firm’.
‘Michael Gray is the epitome of a client-first corporate attorney’.
‘They coordinated any unique needs over multiple specialties without disruption to the process or distraction’.
‘Each attorney gave us the impression of working with a boutique firm but with the strength of a mega firm’.
‘Robert Gerber gave us the comfort of speaking like a friend; he understood our personal and professional needs’.
Covanta Holding Corporation
Trelleborg AB/Trelleborg Sealing Solutions
Hycroft Mining Corporation (f/k/a Allied Nevada Gold Corporation)
NIBE Industrier AB (publ) of Sweden/Backer EHP Inc. (U.S. operating entity) and NIBE Energy Systems Inc. (and its subsidiaries, including, among others – WaterFurnace International, Inc., The Climate Control Group and Enertech, Inc.)
First Analysis Corporation
Sandstorm Gold Ltd.
Tahoe Resources Inc.
Valor Equity Partners
Equity Group Investments / Zell Credit Opportunities Fund
RECSOLU, Inc. d/b/a/ Yello
Blockchain Foundry Inc.
- Represented Filo Mining Corp. in a bought deal financing and a concurrent private placement for aggregate gross proceeds of C$40m.
- Represented the independent board committee of Tahoe Resources Inc. as US counsel in its stock and cash merger with Pan American Silver Corporation.
- Engaged by Trelleborg and its subsidiary Trelleborg Sealing Solutions as US M&A counsel in its agreement to acquire Minnesota-based Sil-Pro, LLC and its facilities.
- Represented Goldcorp as US counsel in its merger with Newmont Mining Corporation to form Newmont Goldcorp.
- Serving as outside general counsel for Marcus Lemonis and his private investment entity, Marcus Lemonis LLC.
Thompson & Knight LLP
Thompson & Knight LLP has particular expertise in the oil and gas industry with a focus on upstream and midstream activities. It is in fact well placed to handle corporate and investment work in the oil and gas industry, given its strong presence in Houston and Dallas, where corporate and securities head Wesley Williams is a key contact. In its field of expertise, the team handles the full range of transactional and advisory matters, from foreign and domestic M&A and securities transactions, to private equity fund formation and management. In addition, the clients benefit from the team's multidisciplinary approach, drawing upon the skill-sets of lawyers in the firm's tax, environment, and bankruptcy and restructuring teams. The group also has also named a number of new partners over the past year.
‘The energy-focused transaction attorneys are very client-centric and highly knowledgeable about the oil and gas industry both in law and business’.
‘They know the industry extremely well and propose pragmatic solutions’
Ajax Resources LLC
Third Coast Midstream (fka American Midstream Partners LP)
Basic Energy Services Inc.
Fieldwood Energy LLC
Haggar Clothing Co.
Natural Gas Partners
Oilfield Water Logistics LLC
Petro Waste Environmental
Tailwater Capital LLC
Yorktown Energy Partners
- Represented the Conflicts Committee of American Midstream Partners, LP in its merger with an affiliate of ArcLight Energy Partners Fund V, L.P.
- Advised Haggar Clothing Co. and Yue Yuen Industrial (Holdings) Limited in Haggar’s acquisition by Randa Accessories.
- Represented Oilfield Water Logistics in its sale to InstarAGF Asset Management Inc.
- Represented Pearl Energy Investments II LP in its initial partnership with Red Wolf Natural Resources and the acquisition by Red Wolf of Oklahoma oil and gas assets.
- Represented Tradition Midstream, LLC, a portfolio company of EnCap Flatrock Midstream, in the sale of Shongaloo Midstream LLC to Energy Transfer.
Acting for public and private companies, boards of directors and special committees, investors and financial advisors, Thompson Hine LLP stands out in part for its work in the areas of investment management and strategic corporate governance. That said, the team is also recognized for its broad transactional M&A and securities practice. The team's recent work for PharMerica is a strong example of its hand-in-hand client service and comprehensive corporate work; here, Frank Chaiken in Chicago and Cleveland-based William Henry handled several strategic business acquisitions and asset deals, both for PharMerica and its subsidiary Pharmacy Corporation of America. The team in New York is noted for its shareholder activism and private investment work; Corby Baumann is a name to note in this space.
The Home Depot
Centre Lane Partners
Pro Mach Inc.
BrightSpring Health Services
Fifth Third Bank
Peppertree Capital Management
Geo Specialty Chemicals
Williams Industrial Service
- Represented Starfire Holding Corporation, a controlling stockholder, in connection with its merger with Voltari Corporation.
- Advised GEO Specialty Chemicals on its sale to CPS Performance Materials (CPS).
- Advised Meritor on its merger agreement with The Carlyle Group.
- Represented PharMerica in the acquisition of Care RX, LLC.
- Advised Sunrise Treatment Center on an investment from a private equity firm, Bridges Fund Management.
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP is very well placed to handle cross-border deals and transactions with an international bent. Indeed, in addition to its focus on mid-market M&A, the team is also recognized for its work on inbound investments into the US, where it benefits from the expertise of the firm's CFIUS practitioners. The corporate team also has broad experience of securities transactions and private equity matters. Lawrence Goodman heads the M&A group and co-chairs the corporate practice; he is particularly experienced in acting as counsel for New York investment banks. The group has seen some personnel changes over the past year: John Nielsen joined as partner from an general counsel position at Hunt Financial Securities; Raymond Hum left for an in-house role at Verisign, and Jeffrey Ostrager left for Venable LLP. Named attorneys are based in New York.
‘Top notch firm with quality people at all levels’.
‘Clear responses, proper billing’.
MSC Industrial Direct Co.
DRS Technologies, Inc.
Brevet Capital Management
Paint Over Rust Holdings, Inc.
Prescott General Partners
See-Out Pty., Ltd.
- Represented BWX, listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX), in its $80m acquisition of 100% of the stock of Andalou Naturals, a U.S.-based beauty brand.
- Represented Pernod Ricard, the world’s co-leader in wines and spirits, in its acquisition of gin brand Malfy.
- Represented funds managed by Brevet Capital Management, a global investment fund management company, in their acquisition of a portfolio of patents that includes many “standard essential patents” required for smartphones to comply with telecommunications standards such as 3G and 4G.
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP's M&A team is led by Matthew LeMaster in Seattle. The team has acted for clients ranging from family-owned businesses to large public companies in domestic and cross-border M&A and investment deals, LBOs, spin-offs, restructurings and other general corporate matters. The firm has developed experience in a range of sectors, including technology, financial services, and healthcare, among many others.
Dickinson Wright PLLC handles a broad range of foreign and domestic M&A. In addition to its core strength is M&A, the team is experienced in asset deals and divestitures, divisional spinoffs, recapitalizations, reorganizations, and LBOs. The practice group is active in a number of key industries, including financial services, media, sports, real estate, automotive, manufacturing and consumer products, acting both for trading companies and private equity investors engaged in those sectors. The corporate team also benefits from its working relationships with the firm's environmental, labor and employment, IP and tax teams. Columbus-based Scot Crow heads the corporate, M&A and private equity practice group.
‘Mark High is excellent at identifying key issues, protecting our interests and perhaps most importantly responsiveness’.
‘We have partnered with Dickinson Wright from our company’s inception through every phase of growth, acquisitions, capital raising, and debt financing. They have proven to be exceptional allies and resources at every turn’.
‘They know our business, values and culture, and represent us both capably and admirably in negotiations and transactions’.
‘They take a consultative approach and give us great advice and help us think through strategies with important transactions and other issues’.
FOD Capital, LLC
PLM Asphalt & Concrete
Harvey Performance Co.
Learning Technologies Group plc
Silver Peak Partners, LLC
CyberRisk Alliance, LLC
Bristol Graphics, Inc. d/b/a Bristol ID Technologies
Growth Catalyst Partners, Trendline Interactive, LLC
- Advised FOD Capital, LLC on the $110m purchase of a minority stake in F45 Training.
- Represented Harvey Performance Co. in its acquisition of all of the assets of Micro 100 Tool Corporation and real property owned by a related party of Micro 100.
- Advised Learning Technologies Group in its acquisition of Breezy HR.
- Represented Silver Peak Partners, LLC that, as an independent sponsor, worked with Midwest Mezzanine Financing to acquire a majority interest in The Cleaning Guys, LLC.
- Advised the private equity firm Growth Catalyst Partners in its acquisition, through its portfolio company Trendline Interactive, LLC of an ownership interest in Inbox Marketer Corporation.
Dorsey & Whitney LLP
Dorsey & Whitney LLP advises small and medium-sized business as well as publicly listed companies on a wide range of transactions, with particular praise given to its corporate finance and venture capital work. The M&A practice is jointly headed by Minneapolis-based Bill Jonason and Layne Smith in Salt Lake City. Jonason serves as general counsel to numerous SMEs with no in-house counsel, and Smith is a name to note for M&A and private investment work in the healthcare and technology industries. Also recommended is New York-based Eric Rytter, who chairs the private equity practice.
Other key lawyers:
The Mosaic Company
Best Buy Co., Inc.
Land O’Lakes, Inc.
- Acted as lead counsel for EDP, a China‐based specialty pharmaceutical company, in connection with its agreement with Eli Lilly and Company to acquire Lilly’s rights in China for two antibiotic medicines as well as a manufacturing facility in Suzhou, China, for an aggregate base purchase price of $375m.
- Represented Land O’Lakes, Inc. in the sale of Geosys Technology Holding LLC to UrtheCast Corp.
- Represented BMoGen Biotechnologies, Inc. in the sale of all of its stock to Bio‐Techne Corporation.
- Represented Best Buy in the $125m purchase of CriticalSignal Technologies.
- Represented Heartland Financial USA, Inc. in the $93.9m purchase, by merger, of Blue Valley Ban Corp. and its wholly‐owned subsidiary, Bank of Blue Valley, a privately held bank.
Duane Morris LLP
Duane Morris LLP advises domestic and international buyers, sellers and intermediaries on M&A and strategic corporate governance, including control battles. The corporate team also benefits from the strength of the firm's banking and finance group, as well as its funds, regulatory and antitrust groups, allowing for end-to-end legal service across the entire business lifecycle. Chicago-based Brian Kerwin chairs the corporate practice; Richard Silfen has handled lending transactions for clients such as JP Morgan, in addition to his M&A work; and Nanette Heide led on a significant reverse takeover transaction in the nascent cannabis sector, which involved a Canadian listed company.
‘The practice is unique insofar as the people I’ve worked with were all excellent’.
‘They stand out because they’re dedicated, and they care regardless of how small or large the amount of business you give them’.
‘They have a broad team of legal professionals that can service any need that a small, high growth private company might have’.
‘They have a particularly strong practice in venture financing’.
DuPont de Nemours, Inc.
JDP Therapeutics, Inc.
Founders Equity, Inc.
Mid-Atlantic Dental Partners
Clock Spring Company, Inc.
Somerest Therapeutics, LLC
Pipeline Health, LLC
iCannex Capital Holdings Inc.
InterMarket Communications, Inc.
FlrISH, Inc. d/b/a Harborside
Four Springs Capital Trust
National Gas & Electric
Career Education Corporation
Huntington National Bank
- Represented JDP Therapeutics, Inc., a pharmaceutical company developing injectable products to treat allergic reactions, in its acquisition by a developer of specialty pharmaceutical products.
- Represented Founders Equity, Inc. in the sale of portfolio company Convergence Technologies, Inc.
- Represented Catalent, Inc., a drug delivery technology company, in its $140m all cash acquisition via tender offer of Juniper Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Represented Mid-Atlantic Dental Partners, a dental support organization and portfolio company of S.C. Goldman & Company, LLC, a single family office, in its approximately $40m “take private” acquisition of Birner Dental Management Services, Inc.
- Represented J.P. Morgan, and its co-lenders Winthrop Capital Partners and Witkoff Group, as first lien lenders in its $285m debt restructuring and equity transfer involving the Ocean Resort Casino, a casino hotel located in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Haynes and Boone, L.L.P. has a track record in corporate transactions and private equity work. The firm is also able to handle all related issues pertaining to tax planning, employee benefits and executive compensation, antitrust, IP, and real estate. Tom Harris and Janice Sharry are contacts in Dallas.
Holland & Knight LLP
Holland & Knight LLP handles a wide variety of corporate transactions and advisory mandates for start-ups, Fortune 500 companies, family businesses and public franchises. Robert Grammig leads the corporate, M&A and securities practice, leveraging over 30 years’ experience in public company M&A, securities law and general corporate work.
Husch Blackwell LLP has a strong presence throughout the Midwest, but is fully capable of handling national and international transactions for public and private companies in the middle market. Indeed, the firm has extensive experience of inbound and outbound transactions, and in addition to its transactional work, it also advises on matters such as antitrust and general operational issues. Kansas City-based Kirstin Salzman heads the M&A, securities and corporate governance practice group; she has been recognized throughout the market for her transactional and advisory work, and has recently led work for clients including AMC Entertainment. Eric Lenzen leads the financial services and capital markets industry unit in Milwaukee. The team also has an on-the-ground presence in St. Louis.
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc.
CFB Venture Fund, L.P.
Pollen, Inc. (C2FO)
VantEdge Partners, LP
- Represented Lansing Trade Group, LLC in its $305m acquisition The Andersons, Inc.
- Served as counsel to Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp. in its $365m acquisition of Ascendant Group Limited, the parent company of Bermuda Electric Light Company.
- Represented Austin Energy in its agreement to purchase from Southern Power the Nacogdoches Generating Facility, a 115-megawatt, wood waste biomass-fueled power plant in East Texas for $460m.
- Represented AMC Entertainment in its acquisition of Cinetopia.
- Acted for Pollen, Inc. (C2FO) in connection with a $200m minority investment led by Softbank and including Temasek and Union Square Ventures.
Irell & Manella LLP
Acting for public and private companies, and a variety of private investors, Irell & Manella LLP is noted for its broad-base expertise in M&A, LBOs, securities transactions, and public company issues including corporate governance counseling. The group's recent work demonstrates its work across a number of key industries, though the team has been most active handling private equity transactions and fundraisings for clients focusing on the software sector. The transactions practice is jointly led by Gregory Klein and Ashok Mukhey, who together have experience of a wide variety of strategic corporate transactions, buyouts and public and private financing deals. Paul Swanson left the team for Loeb & Loeb LLP. All named parters are based in Los Angeles.
Professional Datasolutions, Inc. (PDI)
Enverus (f/k/a Drillinginfo)
Angeles Equity Partners, LLC
Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc.
Beach Point Capital Management
AJ Capital Partners
Angeleno Group, LLC
Renewable Resources Group
Rusheen Capital Management, LLC
- Represented Stack Sports in its acquisition of Affinity and Blue Sombrero from Dick’s Sporting Goods.
- Represented national building materials company ACS American Construction Source, backed by Angeles Equity Partners and Clearlake Capital Group, in the September 2019 acquisition of Contractor’s Truss Systems.
- Represented Angeles Equity Partners portfolio company ERP Power LLC in its acquisition of Lumenetix Inc.
- Represented funds managed by Genstar Capital Partners in an equity investment in insightsoftware, a TA Associates-backed company.
- Advised Enverus on its acquisition of Mineralsoft, a software platform for managing mineral, royalty, and non-operated working interests.
Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP advises public and private companies and private equity firms, as well as domestic arms of international companies, on a range of corporate and banking transactions. The team is also recognized for its private equity and corporate finance work. Moreover, it is well positioned to provide comprehensive corporate law service to public company clients, thanks in part to the corporate governance experience of partners like Gus Dixon in Columbia. Dixon co-chairs the M&A group alongside Atlanta-based Rhys Wilson and Michael Hollingsworth II.
Federal Staffing Resources
United Medical Imaging
- Representing Cosmopolitan Travel Service (CTS) in its $100m acquisition by Mondee.
- Represented PIETech in its sale to Envestnet in a $500m cash and stock deal.
- Advising Lime Energy on its $100m sale to Willdan Group.
- Advised Liaison Technologies on its $310m acquisition by a Canadian technology company.
- Acted for IT solutions provider MCCi in relation to its acquisition by Century Park Capital Partners, a Los Angeles-based private equity firm.
Pryor Cashman LLP
Pryor Cashman LLP's corporate group has impressive strengths in several core focus areas, including public and private M&A and complex commercial agreements; bank lending and capital markets transactions; and private equity. The team is particularly well known for its presence in the areas of advertising, apparel, medical supplies and life sciences, though its expertise also extends to the energy, software and technology sectors. The corporate and M&A practice is jointly led by John Crowe, who acts for public and private companies, LLCs, partnerships and non-profits, and Eric Hellige, who is also a member of the firm's banking and finance group. Crowe and Hellige are both based in New York.
Other key lawyers:
Greenlane Holdings Inc.
Shamrock Capital Advisors, LLC
sbe Entertainment Group
China Jo-Jo Drugstores, Inc.
WHP Global (Wave Hill Partners)
- Represented Greenlane Holdings LLC in its $6.7m acquisition of Pollen Gear.
- Represented Kathrein, a German communication technology manufacturer, in the sale of its mobile radio antenna business to one of its largest customers, the Swedish network supplier Ericsson.
- Represented Bandier, a multi-brand retailer of women’s fitness apparel, equipment and accessories, in securing a capital investment from Eurazeo, a global investment company.
- Represented Camuto Group in the $341m sale of its operations to North American footwear and accessories retailer DSW Inc.
- Represented long-time client Shamrock Capital Advisors, LLC, a Los Angeles-based investment firm with a focus on the media, entertainment and communications sectors, in its acquisition of the music publishing catalogue of Tor Hermansen and Mikkel Eriksen, both known as the Grammy-winning songwriting and production duo, “Stargate.”
Schiff Hardin LLP
Schiff Hardin LLP is active in domestic and international financings and corporate deals, including M&A and asset transactions, spin-offs and strategic investments. Moreover, the team has also proven its ability to handle transformational joint ventures and strategic alliances; corporate reorganizations, debt restructuring, and workouts; and private fund formation and venture capital investments. To support this workflow, the team draws upon the skill-sets of experts in the firm's labor and employee benefits, tax, IP, real estate and litigation departments. M&A practice head Steve Isaacs focuses on M&A and capital raisings transactions; corporate and transactional practice group leader Stephen Dragich advises entrepreneurs and emerging businesses on day-to-day matters, and also acts as outside general counsel to various business owners and senior executives; David McHugh has been involved in standout work in the manufacturing, technology, consumer, and industrial products sectors; and Alexander Young acts for a variety of public and private companies, private equity firms, and mezzanine investors. All named partners are based in Chicago.
50 South Capital, LLC
Consolidated Communications Holdings, Inc.
First Mid-Illinois Bancshares, Inc.
HCL America, Inc.
HVR Software, Inc.
Midwest Tape, LLC
Newell Brands Inc.
Roper Technologies, Inc.
The Duracell Company, a Berkshire Hathaway company
The Randolph Group
TTS Tooltechnic Systems Beteiligungen GmbH
Wintrust Financial Corporation
One Eighty Capital LLC
- Represented Newell Brands in the sale of its Rexair business to investment funds affiliated with Rhône Capital, a global private equity firm.
- Represented Snap-on Incorporated—a manufacturer and marketer of tools, equipment, diagnostics, repair information and systems solutions—in its $8m acquisition of Power Hawk Technologies.
- Acted for HVR Software, Inc. in relation to a $51m investment in the company from Level Equity.
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP has a broad corporate practice, boasting expertise in M&A, LBOs and various corporate control transactions; large-scale joint ventures; and sponsored demutualizations. Indeed, the team handles all stages of deals from proposal and due diligence reviews to structuring and closing. The group has experience acting for clients in a huge variety of industries, and with recent work in the areas of software, real estate and healthcare, the team's highlights illustrate its ability to act irrespective of industry sector. Christopher Doyle co-chairs the corporate department and also heads the M&A and joint ventures practice; he represents public companies, boards of directors, hedge fund sponsors, commodities firms and technology companies in M&A and myriad other corporate transactions. Corporate practice co-chair Jeffrey Lowenthal focuses on acquisitions and joint ventures, corporate finance and securities deals, and corporate reorganizations.
- Advising Linde AG on CFIUS and government contracts issues as part of an ongoing sensitive $75 bn merger with a major U.S. firm.
- Advised Ultimate Software, a Nasdaq-listed company and a leading global provider of human capital management solutions in the cloud, on its pending sale to an investor group led by the private equity firm Hellman & Friedman
Arent Fox LLP
Arent Fox LLP has represented buyers and sellers, investment banks and financial advisers in various corporate and M&A matters. Steven Cohen leads the corporate and securities practice; Jay Halpern advises private equity funds on strategic transactions and financings.
Other key lawyers:
Bass, Berry & Sims PLC
Bass, Berry & Sims PLC represents buyers and sellers in strategic investment and acquisitions, as well as in financing transactions. Among the team's clients are private equity firms and their portfolio companies, spanning the healthcare, food and beverage, retail, government contracting and services, and manufacturing industries. The corporate and securities practice is headed by Kevin Douglas, who is adept at advising public companies on corporate mandates ranging from M&A to SEC reporting matters. Also recommended is Ryan Thomas, who chairs the private equity team. All named attorneys based in Nashville.
‘The team is very easy to work with, they are extremely responsive and professional’.
‘They do quality work and still have a fun culture’.
‘Great legal team. Nice to be able to address specific issues with expert legal advice from topic experts’.
‘Solid business advice, not just a legal answer’.
‘Looks at the business first and gives advice on a risk / reward basis’.
Twin River Worldwide Holdings
Addus HomeCare Corporation
Bridgestone Americas, Inc. – U.S. Subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation
Mid-America Apartment Communities
Pinnacle Financial Partners, Inc.
- Advised Addus HomeCare on the acquisition of Hospice Partners of America LLC, a multi-state provider of hospice services, for approximately $130m cash.
- Representation of Western Dental Services in its acquisition of Guardian Life Insurance Company’s DSO.
- Representation of Hibbett Sports, Inc. in its acquisition of City Gear for up to $113m.
- Representation of Lincare Holdings, Inc. in its acquisition of Maverick Holdings II, Inc. for $150m.
- Representation of the independent Special Committee of Strategic Storage Growth Trust, Inc. in its merger with Strategic Storage Trust II, Inc., in an all-cash transaction valued at $350m.
Brown Rudnick LLP
Brown Rudnick LLP has experience of M&A and securities transactions, strategic governance and shareholder activism, private investment and venture capital deals, and restructuring matters. New York-based Vincent Guglielmotti chairs the US corporate and capital markets practice.
Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
Epstein Becker & Green, P.C. focuses on M&A in the healthcare and life sciences sectors, acting for healthcare companies, venture capital investors and private equity funds. To complement its transactional capabilities, the team also advises on issues including labor law and workforce management, antitrust, healthcare regulatory matters, and business disputes. Washington DC-based Mark Lutes heads the team and specializes in private equity investments and hospital mergers.
Other key lawyers:
- Assisted Capital Vision Services with its sale to Goldman Sachs.
Holland & Hart LLP
Holland & Hart LLP advises on a broad range of corporate issues including corporate and financing transactions, joint ventures, and governance and regulatory matters. The team has shown activity in the areas of energy, technology, retail, telecoms and natural resources. Chris Groll is a contact in the Denver office.
Jones Walker LLP advises clients on M&A, finance, joint ventures, supply-chain contracting, offerings of equity and debt securities, venture capital financing and corporate governance matters. It advises public and private companies, start-ups, emerging enterprises and Fortune 500 corporations. Client sectors include energy, healthcare, transport, manufacturing sectors, telecoms, technology, media, food, financial services and construction. New Orleans-based Curtis Hearn and Marshall Page co-lead the corporate practice group.
Pacific Drilling S.A.
Savage Inland Marine, LLC
- Lead counsel to O3 with respect to acquisition of Antamex division of Oldcastle BuildingEnvelope Canada, Inc.
- Lead counsel for Savage Inland Marine, LLC in the $52.5m asset purchase acquisition of Progressive Barge Line, Inc; Muddy Waters Enterprises, L.L.C; and Lazy River Properties, L.L.C.; and related financing of PNC Equipment Finance, LLC.
- Lead counsel for LongueVue Capital’s majority investment in joint venture transaction for development and operation of senior assisted living facilities.
- Served as co-counsel with Weil Gotschal in connection with public company acquisition of GulfMark Offshore Inc. by Tidewater Inc. This was a stock for stock deal, with approximate deal value at close of $340m.
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C.
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C. has experience of a wide range of public and private company M&A, and is also recognized for the strength of its private equity practice. Boston-based Dean Zioze heads the M&A practice and acts for Fortune 500 companies, private equity firms, and venture backed-companies. Stephen Gulotta Jr heads the New York corporate and securities practice in New York and also serves as the office managing partner. Michael Fantozzi is also recommended in Boston; he acts as division head of corporate, tax, private client and immigration.
Royal Philips/Philips North America LLC
Signify North America Corporation
Cheetah Medical, Inc.
Evolv Technologies, Inc.
River Birch Partners
College Hill Capital Partners
- Represented Royal Philips in all aspects of its acquisition of OBMedical, the maker of wireless external fetal monitoring equipment.
- Represented Signify in all aspects of its acquisition of Once Inc.
- Acted for Astadia in connection with its management buyout from a well-known private equity backer.
- Represented Solarflare in its $395m acquisition by Xilinx.
- Represented Pharmerit International, a company engaged in providing healthcare economics and outcomes research services (HEOR), in its sale to Open Health Group.
Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP focuses on buy and sell side M&A in the Southeast region of the US. In this space the team handles negotiated purchases and divestitures by public and private companies, tender offers, restructurings, spin-offs, LBOs and going-private transactions, drawing its clients from a number of regulated and unregulated industries. Of particular note, the team stands out for its work for technology companies and technology focused-private equity firms. David Calhoun leads the corporate department and also co-chairs the M&A practice alongside Scott Allen. Named partners are based in Atlanta.
Parthenon Capital Partners
Greater Sum Ventures
Brown Brothers Harriman
- Represented Litera Microsystems and its private equity owner, K1 Capital, in its acquisition by Hg Capital.
- Represented GB Group in its acquisition of IDology for $300m.
- Represented MapAnything, Inc. in its acquisition by Salesforce for $300m.
- Represented PAI Services, LLC, commonly referred to as Sage Payroll Solutions and a subsidiary of Sage Group Inc. and The Sage Group, in its acquisition by iSolved HCM via its financial sponsor Accel-KKR.
- Represented K1 Capital in its $200m acquisition of Jobvite and subsequent roll-up of Rolepoint, Canvas Talent and Talemetry.
Polsinelli PC has wide-ranging expertise in M&A and LBOs, large-scale commercial agreements, corporate restructuring, and supplementary areas such as corporate governance and trade compliance. Among its industry focuses, the team has been especially active in the areas of construction, healthcare, digital media, e-commerce, telecoms and software. Kansas City-based Frank Ross Jr heads the business department and focuses on corporate transactional work. Jonathan Henderson chairs the corporate and transactional practice, and also acts as office managing partner in Dallas; he focuses primarily on advising buyers and sellers of mid-market healthcare services companies. Also in Kansas City, William Mahood III chairs the national mergers, acquisitions and divestitures practice.
‘The Polsinelli group is competent and cost effective compared to firms on the coasts’.
‘They are extremely responsive and do high quality work’.
‘They are responsive and practical’.
Providence St. John’s Health System
Catholic Health Initiatives
Big 12 Conference
Stonecourt Capital LP
Metronet Holdings Inc.
- Represented Catholic Health Initiatives in the sale of the stock of two subsidiaries, QCA Health Plan, Inc. and QualChoice Life and Health Insurance Company, Inc., to Centene Corporation.
- Represented Truss in connection with its sale to global insurance brokerage, Hub International, Inc.
- Acted as lead M&A counsel in connection with Stonecourt Capital LP’s $118m sale of VIP Rail ULC, a short line rail and transloading company and related parties to Connor, Clark & Lunn, a Canadian-based infrastructure equity fund.
- Represented ACT in its acquisition of the assets of Mawi, Inc. (aka Mawi Learning).
- Served as lead counsel on the sale of FirstCare Health Plan of Texas by Providence St. Joseph Health System to Baylor-Scott & White Health Plan.
Robinson & Cole LLP
Robinson & Cole LLP has advised clients on capital markets and securities deals, venture capital financing, investment management, M&A and private equity transactions, trade and antitrust. Contacts in the team include Stamford-based Eric Kogan and Matthew Guanci Jr in Hartford.
Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP
Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis LLP has experience advising public and private companies on domestic and cross-border transactions, including M&A, auctions and divestitures, stock and asset deals, spin-offs, restructurings, LBOs and joint ventures. Jointly led by Megan Harmon in Pittsburgh and Sarah Hewitt in New York, the team's recent work reveals strengths in the areas of insurance, environmental services, manufacturing, retail, technology, automotive and healthcare.
Barnett Products Inc.
B&B Coverage Group Inc.
Capitol Waste & Recycling Services GPB
Cardone Industries, Inc.
Clean Earth, Inc.
Compass Media Networks LLC
First Choice Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
Safilo S.p.A. and US affiliates thereof
Salem Five Cent Savings Bank
SFEM Italia S.r.l.
The Signature Group, LLC
Sterling & Sterling
Waste Management, Inc.
- Represented a retail company in the sale of its membership interests in a nationwide sunglasses chain to another party engaged in a similar business.
- Represented an owner and design company in the redemption of membership interests owned by the other 50% member.
- Represented an Italian manufacturer in the acquisition of membership interests of a U.S. company.
- Represented an Italian pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of drug assets from a U.S. company.
- Represented an Italian private equity fund in its acquisition of a US packaging company.
Stradling Yocca Carlson & Rauth
Stradling Yocca Carlson & Rauth has core strengths in the areas of private equity, life sciences, healthcare and technology. In particular, the team regularly acts for start-ups, public companies, private equity firms and their portfolio companies in M&A and tender offers, stock acquisitions, asset acquisitions, joint ventures, going-private transactions and LBOs. Newport Beach-based Christopher Ivey and Mark Skaist jointly head the team alongside Tom Waldman, who splits his time between Santa Monica and San Diego.
Cosmetic Design Group
Five Crowns Capital
The Gores Group
- Advised Mechanix Wear, Inc. on its acquisition by Gryphon Investors.
- Represented Mako Steel, Inc. in its sale to an affiliate of New State Capital Partners.
- Represented Gallant Capital-backed Reveal Data Corporation in its acquisition of Mindseye Solutions, LLC.
- Represented Jet Health in its acquisitions of First Choice Home Health & Hospice and A Better Way Health Management.
- Represented AGRO Merchants Group, in its acquisition of Cool Pak Solutions.
Wiggin and Dana LLP handles M&A, securities and capital market transactions, and corporate governance matters, and also advises on related issues such as antitrust, tax, labor, environment, data privacy and trade regulation. The team acts for private equity funds and portfolio companies, family offices and public companies, particularly in the areas of biopharma, chemicals, IT, financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, media and telecoms. Stamford-based William Perrone and Mark Kaduboski jointly head the team.
‘Wiggin and Dana standout as one of the most efficient and thoughtful advisors I have worked with’.
‘Wiggin lawyers learn your business, focus on the key issues, and therefore are incredibly efficient’.
‘In my experience fees for transactions negotiated by Wiggin are typically half of what the larger firms charge, with no decrement in quality’.
The Marlin Company
CAS Medical Systems, Inc.
Amastan Technologies, Inc. (now 6k, Inc.)
Olink Proteomics AB
Bernoulli Enterprise, Inc.
Anticimex International AB
Southfield Capital Partners
PetVets Care Centers
- Represented The Marlin Company in its sale of all of its assets to Appspace, a competitor and portfolio company of LLR Equity Parters, a Philadelphia, PA-based private equity firm.
- Represented Southfield Capital in its acquisition of Milrose Consultants, LLC and subsequent proposed bolt-on acquisitions.
- Assisted KKR & Co. and its portfolio company PetVet Care Centers with various corporate and real estate matters in connection with its acquisition of several veterinary businesses across the US.
- Advised RallyBio on the acquisition of two orphan drug programs and on the formation of a joint venture.
- Represented client Olink Proteomics Holding AB in its sale to Summa Equity, a private equity firm in the Nordics.