Aviation in South East
asb law LLP hired Daniel James from Stevens & Bolton LLP in 2018. James now leads the aviation practice, which generates work from aviation insurers, aircraft parts suppliers and airlines based in the UK, Europe, Botswana and the Middle East. The team is active in transactions and contractual work, and also has a strong capability in product liability claims arising from aircraft accidents. Simon Amos is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘asb law LLP really took the time to learn about our business and its niche operations as a smaller airline‘.
‘The team tailored their approach according to the structure and operations of our business‘.
‘asb law LLP keeps the best interests of the client at heart regardless of the size of the mandate‘.
‘asb law LLP made us feel like a major client despite our relatively smaller size; the team demonstrated true professionalism by treating its clients equally‘.
Air Charter Service
VAS Aero Services
A J Walter Aviation
- Advising longstanding client Royal Aero in the sale, purchase and lease of aircraft and engines.
- Advising longstanding client LHI Leasing in connection with one of its retail investment portfolios of aircraft engines.
- Advising VAS Aero Services on multimillion dollar innovative agreements for aircraft components.
- Instructed as Privy Council Agent for Bahamasair Holdings as appellant in an appeal to the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council from a decision of the Court of Appeal of the Commonwealth of the Bahamas relating to aircraft landing gear failure.
- Assisted VAS Aero Services on the first tear down of an Airbus A380 and the subsequent consignment of the resulting parts.
At Shoosmiths LLP, senior associate Sarah Fairweather is the head of the aviation finance practice, which handles a wide range of finance and leasing transactions for banks, borrowers, lessors/lessees and various other clients. Elsewhere, reflective of its varied portfolio of work, the firm advises clients on commercial contracts, data protection, aircraft acquisitions and disposals, as well as property and planning matters.
Swiss International Air Lines
- Advised Swiss International Air Lines (Swiss) on the renewal of aircraft leases, which involved advising Swiss on Willis Lease Finance Corporation’s amended aircraft lease, engine lease and maintenance contracts and engine swap arrangements.
- Advised Swiss on the terms of the lessee consent and lease amendment in the context of a refinancing of an Airbus A321-100 craft that the client had on lease from Aviator ML 1144.
- Advised Swiss on the amendments required to be made to the aircraft lease as a consequence of the change of financing parties in the context of a refinancing of an Airbus A321-111 the client had on lease from KDAC Aircraft Holding.
- Advised Swiss on the unwinding arrangements in the context of a lessor refinancing for an Airbus A320-200 aircraft the client has on lease from Macquarie Aircraft Leasing.
The 'well-knit' aviation team at Stevens & Bolton LLP handles a range of multijurisdictional aircraft and engine transactions and it also advises aircraft operators on significant contentious matters. 'Ferociously commercial' practice head Richard Mumford specialises in complex legal disputes and asset recovery. Daniel James departed for asb law LLP in May 2018.
‘A well-knit team that capitalises on a number of different strengths‘.
‘The firm competes with London-based commercial aviation litigation firms‘.
‘A key firm for work related to aircraft and executive jet maintenance and operating contracts‘.
‘Richard Mumford is a big player in commercial aviation litigation; he has a ferociously commercial view and immediately considers the client’s best interests.’
‘James Evison is an upcoming practitioner with a calm and thorough approach, in addition to an impressive portfolio of aviation cases to his name‘.
Acro Aircraft Seating
Hayward & Green
- Acting for Gama Aviation in relation to a dispute with Dustin Dryden arising from the takeover of Hangar 8.
- The firm acted for private jet operator, Gama Aviation, in a dispute with SPC Aviation and Dustin Dryden. This is a dispute arising out the management of a Bombardier 601 corporate jet.
- Advised the founders and existing investors of multi award-winning supplier of advanced defence managed services Inzpire, on the sale of shares to the QinetiQ group.
- The firm advised an aircraft management company on an unusual lien case against a financial institution.
Machins Solicitors LLP acts for both regional and national aviation sector clients. The group has a strong corporate and commercial offering and is capable of handling small and large-scale aircraft acquisitions, as well as leasing and financing matters. It also has specialist expertise in escrow agreements in the context of aviation transactions. M&A expert Mark Pelopida is the department head.