Brodies LLP's corporate and M&A team operates across the Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow offices, acting on a variety of market-leading Scottish, UK-wide and cross-border mandates. Practice head Neil Burgess holds more than 25 years of experience in acquisition, disposal, joint ventures, commercial contract and restructuring affairs, receiving support from Shuna Stirling, a highly reputed name for corporate real estate matters. Elsewhere, William Mcintosh provides the group with in-depth knowledge of the US market and private equity affairs, while David Lightbody is knowledgeable on transactional, company law and governance affairs. The team is also home to ‘diligent‘ senior associate Paul Breen and has been particularly active in the telecoms, technology, food and drink, and healthcare sectors of late.
Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow in Scotland
Other key lawyers:
Shuna Stirling; William McIntosh; Derek Stroud; Eric Galbraith; David Lightbody; Paul Breen; Duncan Cathie
‘We have relied upon the Corporate & Commercial team, in particular Eric Galbraith and Duncan Cathie. All of the lawyers have been exceptionally helpful, responsive and resourceful in assisting us.’
‘All members of the Brodies team have been great to work with. I have the confidence to rely on all of the team, not just partners. At every level, the advice, support, availability and friendliness has been exemplary.’
‘Breadth of experience. They have experts in all areas of law which we require as a business.’
‘Approachable, visible, responsive, good rapport builders with other lawyers and principals on the other side. Know who to speak to within their organisation get a expert view.’
‘Brodies’ work is of an extremely high standard. Obviously, they advise on the legal aspects of any particular matter, but they are also extremely commercial in their approach and take time to understand our business, our challenges and think of ways to overcome them (from a legal perspective).’
‘For corporate advice, we use Neil Burgess (Corporate Partner in the Glasgow office). He is very commercial in his approach and helps to break down an issue quickly and efficiently.’
‘Paul Breen is a very diligent lawyer and provides quick and efficient responses to questions / issues.’
‘David Lightbody – very good partner-level advice and approach.’
D. C. Thomson
Scottish Equity Partners
Scottish National Investment Bank
Omega Diagnostics Group plc
Frostkrone Food Group
Adelphi Distillery Ltd
Orbital Marine Power
AGS Airports Limited
- Advised Borderlink Broadband Limited on two investments (combined potential value of up to £174.5m) from funds controlled by Gresham House Plc.
- Advised Accel-KKR’s portfolio group Kimble on the acquisition of California-based competitor Mavenlink Inc.
- Advising Leucid Bio Limited a biotech company and spin-out from Kings College, London on a £11.5m Series A Funding round from Sofinnova Capital, Epidarex Capital, Vulpes Investment Management, 2Invest AG and the Future Fund of the British Business Bank.
A team which ‘provides a wow factor’, Burness Paull LLP caters to a broad spectrum of clients, from start-ups and PLCs through to family businesses, private equity houses and venture capital firms. The practice is proficient in local, national and international deals, owing to its integration with the Lex Mundi global network, and is especially active in the private equity, technology, financial services, owner-managed business (OMB) and capital markets fields. Team head Mark Ellis and experienced partner David Davidson are among the market’s foremost named for private equity-related deals meanwhile chair Peter Lawson is a veteran of countless public and private M&A transactions. The team is also home to China market specialist Catriona Macallan, as well as Chris Gotts, a renewable energy, life science and technology specialist, with notable expertise in fundraisings and cross-border deals.
Other key lawyers:
Catriona Macallan; Paul Scullion; Walter Clark; Grant Stevenson; Edward Hunter; David Davidson; Chris Gotts
‘These guys provide the personal WOW factor compared to any other practice I have used. They like to understand you and your business in detail and shape there service offering around this.’
‘Proactiveness, good response times, diligence and advice second to none.’
‘We’ve used Burness for asset acquisitions, asset sales, and farm-outs in both the UK and Canada, equity issuances in the UK, admissions (and re-admissions) to AIM, an admission to the TSX, the issuance and ongoing management of our senior-secured loan notes, employment matters, and many others . They’ve always been extremely knowledgeable in every area of engagement, have in-house specialisation with deep knowledge for each of our corporate, asset, and capital requirements.’
‘Their staff are friendly, engaging, collaborative, highly responsive, and flexible.’
‘Chris Gotts is recommended for corporate and capital structuring, fundraising (types, processes, regulation), listing process, rules and regulations for publicly listed companies.
‘Edward Hunter is very knowledgeable.’
‘Excellent technical capability, flexible ways of collaborating, open to alternative billing structures, very responsive.’
‘Walter Clark – hugely knowledgeable and technically capable, personable, responsive, and gets to know clients’ objectives and drivers.’
The Access Group
Lonsdale Capital Partners
Kings Park Capital
i3 Energy plc
Maven Capital Partners
BlueGem Capital Partners LLP
Savannah Energy PLC
- Advising UPM-Kymenne Oyj, a Finnish sustainable solutions provider listed on Nasdaq Helsinki Ltd, on the sale of its paper production and recycling subsidiary (Shotton Mill Limited) to Eren Paper Limited, a subsidiary of the Modern Karton group based in Turkey.
- Advising Bridgepoint Growth, a listed private equity investor, on its investment into PharmaReview.
- Advising Snappy Shopper on a £19.4m funding round (one of the largest private fundraisings in the Scottish market in 2021) led by PayPoint, Highland Tech, Justin King, Maven Capital Partners, Kelvin Capital and Scottish Enterprise and existing investor Mercia Asset Management.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP, a firm with a vast national and international network, is cited for its ability to ‘navigate complex M&A transactions with very tight deadlines’. The team is led by private equity specialist Barry McCaig and runs a geographically broad caseload, spanning Scotland and the wider UK, US, Canada, Australia, Germany and Mexico of late. Rosalie Chadwick provides the group with formidable transaction expertise in the energy space whereas Alan Diamond serves as a key contact for infrastructure and technology-related matters, namely joint venture, equity capital markets and M&A endeavours. Beyond partner level, senior associates Kevin Beattie and Graeme Stapleton are heavily involved in both the team’s private M&A and private equity deals. Other key sectors include manufacturing, housebuilding and financial services.
Other key lawyers:
Rosalie Chadwick; Alan Diamond; Kevin Devanny; Kevin Beattie; Graeme Stapleton
‘Team are excellent and have vast expertise across multiple disciplines and are quickly able to provide necessary service.’
‘Kevin Devanny has worked with me for over a decade and has been excellent throughout – clear concise advice – value for money and always available.’
‘Pinsent Masons LLP are our go-to for all corporate and commercial related matters.’
‘The team are personable and have a strong pragmatic approach with a solid record for delivery on projects.’
‘Coupled with their exceptional knowledge of legal and commercial matters, they have helped navigate us through complex M&A transactions with very tight timelines.’
‘The team demonstrate a seamless collaboration with different departments of the firm who are involved with our projects, meaning that they are prepared and are quick to respond.’
‘Rosalie Chadwick is insightful and is a technically astute and reliable sounding board. She takes a vested interest in her clients and has been instrumental in supporting the company’s strategy for success from the start. You feel confident that she cares about the client’s business and the in-house team within it.’
‘Barry McCaig is ready to roll his sleeves up and get things done. He considers matters from a legal and commercial perspective and is highly capable of negotiating challenging points whilst driving a deal to complete.’
Induction Healthcare Group plc
Springfield Properties plc
Forth Ports Limited
Miller Homes Limited
ContractPod Technologies Limited
Beeks Financial Cloud Group plc
Scottish Equity Partners
Thomas Hopkinson and others
LCN Capital Partners
NEO Energy Upstream UK Limited
Gulfsands Petroleum Plc
David Stevenson, Evelyn Turner and others
- Advised NEO Energy Upstream UK Limited, backed by Norwegian private equity firm HitecVision, on its acquisition of independent oil and gas company Zennor Petroleum Limited for a total consideration of up to $625m
- Advised AIM listed Craneware plc, a healthcare software solutions provider, on a £136.2m equity raise by way of an accelerated bookbuild and a $140m term and revolving credit facility.
- Advised Railpen on their participation in the £270m investment Series D funding round in Starling Bank.
Addleshaw Goddard leverages its UK-wide and international network to support on an array of local, national and cross-border transactions. David Kirchin, a private equity expert, leads the practice and possesses an extensive knowledge of the energy, retail, consumer and financial services sectors; his team is also reputed for its equity capital markets and corporate real estate work and is instructed on a wealth of M&A, including technology, construction and housebuilding-related deals. Murray Jack ‘always focuses on the bigger picture’, catering to clients from the transport, healthcare and life sciences industries, among others.
Other key lawyers:
Murray Jack; David Anderson; Laura Falls
‘A high-quality team providing expert legal and commercial support to clients.’
‘David Kirchin and Laura Falls have an exceptional commercial awareness which makes then both an integral part of the client team on transactions but also provides an unparalleled ability to cut through issues and obstacles gaining the respect of not only their clients but the advisors on all sides. This, in my experience, is a very rare skill.’
‘AG take a pragmatic approach to transactions, working pro-actively with other stakeholders to find solutions and compromise. This ultimately helps principals “get the deal done”.’
‘Laura Falls takes a commercial approach, gets to the heart of the “big stuff” and doesn’t “sweat the small stuff”.’
‘The collaboration by Addleshaw Goddard with everyone involved with the transaction was first class. They took control of the process from the very beginning and drove the deal at a pace that was suitable for the scale and complexity of this type of negotiation. I can’t imagine there would be many Scottish firms capable of provided such a professional service whilst maintaining such a personal touch. Their partner managed the entire process from start to finish and was never far from the action. Overall I would have no qualms recommending Addleshaw Goddard to anyone involved with M&A.’
‘Murray Jack was always available when required and made the whole process as smooth as it could possibly be. His propensity not to argue every insignificant point and always focus on the bigger picture was appreciated by all parties and was ultimately the reason the negotiation were not only extremely successful but remained amicable throughout. Murray professionalism and attitude made a usually difficult undertaking bearable.’
Souter Investments acting through Highland and Universal Securities Limited
Par Fund Management Limited and Par Equity LLP
Shareholders of Tulloch Homes Group Limited
James Donaldson Group
Anderson Anderson & Brown LLP (AAB)
Allenby Capital Limited
ASA (listed on Oslo Stock Exchange) acting through its UK subsidiary NIC Enterprises Limited
Shareholders of Targe Towing
National Timber Group (NTG) (backed by Cairngorm Capital)
David Alexander and John Alexander (shareholders of DJ Alexander Holdings Limited)
Censo Biotechnologies Limited
Cairngorm Capital & ATB 2021 Bidco Limited (ATB)
YFM Private Equity Limited
Maven Capital (Maven)
- Advised Par Fund Management and Par Equity LLP on $400m disposal of Scottish medtech business Current Health to Best Buy Inc.
- Advised the shareholders of Tulloch Homes Group Limited in £78.4m disposal of Tulloch Homes to AIM listed Springfield Properties plc.
- Advised James Donaldson Group on the acquisition of Stewart Milne Timber Systems Limited and Kitchens International.
One of the most active M&A departments nationally and internationally, CMS’s Scotland team is especially accomplished within the oil and gas, private equity, energy, financial services, TMT, leisure and corporate real estate fields. Frank Fowlie oversees the team which includes Graeme Bruce, an M&A, takeover, listed transaction and corporate governance specialist. The ‘extremely commercially minded’ Jack Letson is also integral to the offering, owing to his public company transaction and infrastructure project expertise, as is Helen Gillies, an management buyout (MBO) and venture capital transaction specialist. Senior associate Bruce Harvie is well-versed in joint ventures, shareholder agreements and corporate reorganisations and the wider team is also noted for its capacity for listed transactions such as initial public offerings (IPOs), fundraisings and US-related securities.
Other key lawyers:
Stuart MacLean; Jack Letson; Graeme Bruce; Helen Gillies; Bruce Harvie
‘Objectively the most experienced corporate finance team in Scotland’s central belt. Exceptionally client focused and partners are very hands on and very visible to clients without unnecessary chains of delegation often seen with other firms.’
‘The corporate and commercial team in Glasgow have always been transparent, quick to react and extremely accurate in their work. Over the past 5 years I have completed 3 funding rounds and a series of corporate reorganisations. I genuinely would not go anywhere else for this type of help and advice.’
‘Jack Letson is exactly what I am looking for in a corporate lawyer. He is clear in communication and very trustworthy. He is able to simplify information for me which is extremely important in a complex business. He is extremely commercial minded and is able to discuss in detail with the team about the fine detail of corporate set up and the commercial implications.’
‘The CMS team operate very well with their clients, but also alongside other advisors. They understand what we require as clients and then ensure appropriate staffing and communication to ensure deals are completed.’
‘Bruce Harvie understands our business and how we like to operate, having taken the time to do so. He sets expectations and then manages them with excellent communication. Bruce uses his experience to anticipate potential issues and come up with solutions.’
‘The team supported us and provided all of the professional advice for our listing on the LSE. A complicated process made easier by the team at CMS who provided great advice and produced all of the work needed to get us across the line. All made much harder by the start of the Covid-19 pandemic in March 2020, the month we listed!’
‘Graeme Bruce is exceptional to work with. Always presents a calm and professional air and takes the time to explain matters no matter how many times the same question is asked.’
‘High-quality advice and friendly team.’
The Robertson Trust
Clyde Blowers Capital
The Royal Bank of Scotland
Business Growth Fund
Macfarlane Group plc
Smart Metering Systems plc
CCL Industries Inc
Sovereign Metals Limited
Civitas Investment Management
M Squared Lasers Limited
- Advised CCL, a Canadian-listed company that is the largest label manufacturer in the world, in their acquisition of private equity backed McGavigan Group for $105m.
- Advised Smart Metering Systems plc on its latest equity placing of £175m. The transaction involved an accelerated bookbuild process, managed by Cenkos Securities plc, Investec Bank plc and RBC Capital Markets, through a share placing.
- Acted for Reactive Technologies in its Series C funding round- £20m. The transaction included investments from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, UK Investor BGF and American smart solutions manufacturer Eaton.
Shepherd and Wedderburn
A Scottish law firm with a further office in London, Shepherd and Wedderburn ‘possesses the rare ability to rapidly understand complex commercial deal dynamics and create innovative structures and solutions’. The team caters to a mixtures of Scottish corporates, PLCs and family-owned companies, in addition to a number of overseas entities, and is headed by George Frier, a lawyer particularly accomplished in the food and drink, OMB and technology sectors. Stephen Trombala delivers M&A, private equity and equity capital markets prowess, especially in the upstream oil and gas fields, meanwhile Tom Swan is an up-and-coming partner with notable experience in fintech-related matters, corporate reorganisations, restructurings, public M&A and disposals. John Morrison is a further standout name who fronts the corporate clean energy offering.
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Trombala; Tom Swan; John Morrison
‘Pragmatic and commercial solutions were exceptional from S&W – they were very focused on this and always provided us with the potential alternatives and the implications so we had a clear view of the landscape. Plain speak always helps too!’
‘Stephen Trombala and the team were always top notch – highly commercial and could distil the key points for us to allow us to make quick decisions and move deals forward. Not an easy or a commonplace skill.’
‘This team punches above its weight, happy and capable going head to head with larger firms and regularly exhibiting their depth of knowledge and skills. For some time the corporate and commercial practice was noticeably better than some other parts of the firm, particularly English property law, but that side appears to have been strengthened and now the firm offers a more cohesive package of skills. It is our go-to firm for transactions both small and large.’
‘John Morrison is excellent, one of the best lawyers we’ve worked with. He has a keen understanding of the commercial balance, is fast and to the point which results in good value legal costs. He manages his wider team well.’
‘George Frier and his team possess a rare ability to rapidly understand complex commercial deal dynamics and create innovative structures and solutions whether on the buy or sell side of a transaction.’
‘We have worked the corporate team at S&W on a number of transactions and the advice they provide from day one is second to none. They understand what is trying to be achieved and provide advice accordingly. The team are incredibly reliable and communicate clearly.’
‘John Morrison is our go-to corporate lawyer because he us trusting, reliable and achieves the desired outcome. As a result of truly understanding the mechanics of a corporate deal John is able to provide excellent and reliable advice. John’s calm and collected approach to a transaction makes him a valuable asset to have on your side.’
Capricorn Energy plc (formerly Cairn Energy)
Scottish National Investment Bank
Chivas Brothers Ltd/Pernod Ricard SA
Scottish Power plc
Virgin Money UK plc
Nuclear Liabilities Fund Limited
Scottish Sea Farms Limited
Epic Games Inc
- Acted for Parsley Box PLC on its £83m AIM IPO.
- Acted for Epic Games Inc (developer of Fortnite) as lead adviser on its purchase of Tonic Games Limited.
- Acted for Scottish Sea Farms in its £164m acquisition of Greig Hjaltland UK limited.
Burges Salmon LLP
Burges Salmon LLP, a firm with an broad national footprint, is especially formidable in the food and drink. life science, technology and energy sectors, particularly the renewables space. Danny Lee leads the practice, leveraging a track record in M&A, private equity and joint ventures. Director Joanna Monaghan is another key name and provides the team with restructuring, corporate governance, commercial contract and company law capabilities.
Other key lawyers:
‘Danny Lee has first-rate experience in corporate transactions, especially in the renewables sector. He consistently goes above and beyond on each engagement we instruct him on, providing commercially sound advice and is a very safe pair of hands in complex negotiations.’
‘We appreciate Danny Lee’s keen commercial understanding. He grasps our needs well and is always responsive to them.’
‘Danny Lee is a standout partner. Strong commercial skills driven to reach contract completion in the most efficient way.’
‘The individual team members attended to our work in a very personal manner while remaining being diligent on the scope and complexity of the work. It was a great pleasure to deal with all team members.’
‘Joanna Monaghan was terrific, very accomplished in the law and with a thorough understanding of the requirements of business and commercial dynamics.’
‘Pro-active team who take a practical approach to ensuring transactions complete. Act as a focal point to other parts of the practice to ensure that all areas are covered.’
‘The team at Burges Salmon in Edinburgh are excellent to work with. Having engaged the firm to advise on a number of transactions in the clean energy sector, they have a sound understanding of the key issues which arise and consistently provide pragmatic advice. The partners and associates are all very impressive.’
‘Their approach to legal matters and agreements is not confrontational but commercial, always having an eye to what the company needs to achieve, whilst making clear any potential risks involved in any agreement. ‘
BayWa r.e. UK Limited
SIMEC Atlantis Energy Limited
Ascot Capital Limited
Panoramic Growth Equity Fund
EDP Renewables Europe, S.L.U.
Nucleus Financial Group plc
- Advised Fern Fibre Ltd and Octopus Investments Ltd on the acquisition of internet service provider, M12 Solutions Ltd, which operates under the Giganet brand, together with a £250m funding package.
- The Nucleus Financial Group is an award-winning, Edinburgh-based financial services company that operates as an online wrap platform allowing clients to combine their investments into a single, transparent account. The Edinburgh and Bristol offices acted for the client ton its highly publicised £144.6m takeover by pensions and investment firm James Hay.
- Advised Inverleith this year on its successful acquisition of c.40% of, and initial equity investment of shares in, the Eden Mill group, a St Andrews based company which is the owner of the successful Eden Mill gin brand. As a result, Inverleith now has a c.65.1% shareholding in this growing brand.
One of the largest firms globally, Dentons operates across a wealth of domestic and international M&A, venture capital, private equity, corporate recovery, restructuring and equity capital markets mandates. Brian Moore fronts the UK and Ireland corporate division from Edinburgh, having transacted deals in Brazil, Australia, China and the US, among other locations, throughout his illustrious 25-year career. Iain Sutherland serves as head of corporate for Scotland while Derek McCombe spearheads the national retail practice, often acting for household high street retailers in the process. The team is also particularly proficient in the food and drink, financial service, industrial, government and energy sectors and includes senior associate Owen McLennan, a rising star in the field of private equity.
Other key lawyers:
Iain Sutherland; Derek McCombe; Owen McLennan
‘Good cross-border collaboration with the lawyers in other offices in which Dentons’ has an office. Practical advice, efficient and effective.’
‘The corporate team at Dentons Glasgow has advised us for a number of years and delivers excellent, appropriately resourced and value for money advice. The corporate team has access to a full range of specialist advisers across the world allowing us access to the right advice in a way that works best for our business.’
‘Iain Sutherland and Derek McCombe are the principal UK partners we deal with. Both are excellent communicators and deal doers.’
‘Their range of specialist skills is exceptional; from M&A and deal structuring, to employment, contracts and IP, they have a strength and depth which is excellent. Global reach is also a big positive. My company has operations in the UK, the US and continental Europe and what makes the Dentons corporate and commercial practice in Glasgow easy to deal with is that they act as an interface between their colleagues in other countries, knowing when not to get in the way, but also when things need chivvying along.’
‘The whole team is extremely personable and professional and will always go the extra mile to get a job over the line. Our client partner is Iain Sutherland. Iain has taken the time to obtain a detailed understanding of my company and the nuances of our business model and the sector we operate in. In this respect we regard Iain as a true business partner, and not just a reactive provider of legal services, and we value his strategic input and judgement highly. Whilst I have an excellent client partner, in Iain, I have multiple contact points in the firm, meaning that I can always reach a qualified specialist very quickly.’
- Advising on the £188m recommended offer by PineBridge for Sigma Capital Group plc.
- Advising on the sale of Roslin Cell Therapies Limited to GHO Capital, which we believe this was one of the highest value M&A or private equity transactions in Scotland during 2021.
- Advising the shareholders of Axle Group Holdings Ltd (trading as National) on the sale of National to Halfords Group plc for circa £62m.
DLA Piper, a major player in the global M&A market, is a go-to for acquisitions, private equity deals, mergers, venture capital affairs, joint ventures and restructurings, both domestic and international. Practice head Simon Rae directs particular emphasis towards the energy, food and beverage, real estate and technology fields; he is supported by Andrew Wardrop, a legal director with a capacity for infrastructure-related deals, as well as senior associate Callum Swanson whose key strengths include general corporate and commercial matters, start-up affairs and competition law.
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Wardrop; Callum Swanson
Energy Growth Investors
Infrared Capital Partners
Investec Investments UK
JP Morgan Asset Management International
Lloyds Banking Group
NatWest (formerly Royal Bank of Scotland)
Scottish Equity Partners
Secure Trust Bank
Element Materials Technology Group
James Jones & Sons
Marsh & McLennan
Motive Offshore Group
Sawafi Al Jazeera Oilfield Products and Services Company
Syneos Health Inc
Westwood Global Energy
WeWork Companies Inc
Wm Grant & Sons
- Acted for BrewDog PLC in its nternational joint venture with Asahi Brewery, one of the largest breweries in Japan.
- Acted for TGS-NOPEC Geophysical Company ASA in its acquisition of 4C Offshore, a leading market intelligence and consultancy firm, providing research and insights into the offshore wind industry.
- Supported Moody’s Corporation in its investment into flood risk modeller Fathom.
National firm DWF hones its attention on the consumer, technology and financial services sectors and is home to Paul Pignatelli , an authority in the sports industry who operates across M&A, disposal, investment and private equity deals; he co-leads the practice alongside Alasdair Peacock, a specialist in state aid, commercial contract, procurement and joint ventures, as well as transactional, corporate governance and restructuring expert, Gary MacDonald.
Paul Pignatelli; Alasdair Peacock; Gary Macdonald
Other key lawyers:
‘Wide range of legal expertise, legal team are approachable and can cut through legal jargon.’
‘Partners are up-front and straight forward to deal with.’
‘The team combine the benefit of experience with the energy of youth and work in a collaborative and proactive way with ourselves and third parties to ensure a transaction continues to progress. The team also take a holistic approach to the firm’s relationship with all the different facets of our business, resulting in a competitive approach to fees.’
‘Gary Macdonald brings a very pragmatic approach to transactions and will identify the key issues that are important to us and focus on those. Gary and his team are always prepared to go the extra mile to get things over the line.’
‘Common sense approach.’
Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc
Lunar JV Finance (Apollo Asset Management Group)
Element Materials Technology Group Limited
C&C Group plc (owners of Tennants, Magners and Bulmers brands)
Mowi Scotland Limited (formerly Marine Harvest)
Cirrus Response Group Limited
Custodian REIT PLC
Mattioli Woods plc
Aliter Capital LLP
- Advised Glennon Brothers on the acquisition of Balcas, Northern Ireland’s leading sawmill.
- Advised Aliter Capital and the other shareholders on the July 2021 sale of technology and internet of things specialist business North SP Limited to a management team backed by Livingbridge Private Equity.
- Advised EComplete on the acquisition of a majority stake in Currentbody.com, which specialises in retailing beauty devices for home use, including LED facial masks and exfoliating brushes.
Harper Macleod LLP excels in deals pertaining to listed, privately owned and high-growth businesses, as well as those with a cross-border element. Practice head Donnie Munro runs a broad workload spread across M&A, demergers, sales, MBOs and share buy-backs, among other matters, overseeing a team with a particular tenacity for technology, healthcare, food and drink, energy and natural capital deals. Elsewhere, Paula Skinner fronts a dedicated entrepreneurial team, leveraging her in-house venture capital experience to support on a number of scale-ups.
Other key lawyers:
Paula Skinner; Christopher Kerr; James MacGregor; Jo Nisbet
‘The practice is very efficient, knowledgeable, professional yet approachable, and overall they provide the kind of service that means we come back to them again and again.’
‘They are very down to earth and do not over complicate any of the legal advice. As well as being nice people, they are reliable and have brilliant legal minds.’
‘The team was very easy to work with and spent all the time I needed to make sure I understood the details of what was being argued about. My team was much more responsive than the other side’s team and I felt I had by far the better representation.’
‘The standout partner in charge of my sale was on the ball and seems 3 steps ahead of the buyers lawyer. I felt in very safe hand and felt my interests were being guarded. I valued the high level of competence and care.’
‘The team is very responsive, helpful and with great knowledge and experience.’
‘I primarily work with Jo Nisbet and Paula Skinner and value their wise counsel, attention to detail and support in all aspects of our work.’
‘Having known and worked the legal team for some time, it has helped us in developing what you may say as our internal legal team.’
‘They understand our values, motives and aspirations.’
Statkraft UK limited
Halfords Autocentres Limited
Tchibo Coffee Service
Clyde Dental Practice Limited (part of the Clyde Munro Dental Group)
Fred. Olsen Renewables Limited
Morrison Community Care
- Advised Statkraft (reported as Europe’s largest generator of renewable energy) on the £121m sale of the operational (11 turbine, 36 mega watt) Andershaw wind farm.
- Advised FTSE listed Halfords on the £62m acquisition of the Axle Group which operates throughout the UK. The deal will see Halfords take over Axle Group’s three brands: National Tyres Autocare, Viking Wholesale Tyres and Tyre Shopper.
- Advised BVI Caribou Property Limited in relation to their investment in Macomics Limited, an immuno-oncology company with world-leading expertise in macrophage biology in a total financing round of £7.44m.
National firm Shoosmiths splits its focus between M&A and investment work such as private equity and venture capital deals. Alison Gilson, hailed as ‘very experienced in commercial law’, leads the practice and transacts deals of both local and UK-wide significance; her team is home to long-standing expertise in the healthcare, technology and transport fields and has recently noted an uptick in its green technology and life sciences work.
Other key lawyers:
‘I was recommended Shoosmiths as the company to use for the sale of my business . I was not disappointed . The customer service was excellent, especially the communication during the process even out of office hours which is exceptional .’
‘Alison Gilson and the team were extremely professional though out the whole process. They kept me advised at every turn guiding me through the process I could not have asked for more.’
‘Very approachable and knowledgeable team always trying to look for innovative solutions to resolve matters. Our team in particular is in the majority female which, as a female founder is really refreshing. The team are really collaborative and everything we do with them is via Teams which makes scheduling meetings at short notice much simpler.’
‘Alison Gilson is excellent – she was recently promoted and clearly managing larger clients than us but never makes us feel any less important. She is very experience in commercial law and brings this past experience to share learnings and ideas. Eliza Stubing is fantastic – she worked tirelessly on closing our investment raise going well above and beyond what we expected.’
‘Good co-ordination across the different specialist teams.’
‘Alison Gilson – very commercial in all aspects, looks for solutions rather than just identifying problems.’
Extreme E Limited
Sandbox International Holdings Limited
Electric Sea Racing Limited
Gonvarri Material Handling AS
Engine B Limited
MV Commercial Limited
The Growth Company Limited
St Andrews Pharmaceuticals Technology Limited
- Advised Sandbox International Holdings Limited on its acquisition of the leading children’s edutainment platforms in Brazil pursuant to a complex international acquisition of a group of companies including entities in Brazil, the Netherlands and the US.
- Advised Electric Sea Racing Limited on strategic partnership with The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia involving significant investment enabling it to launch the world’s first electric boat racing championship.
- Advised Sandbox International Holdings Limited on the acquisition of Spanish based educational gaming companies Edujoy Games SLU and TellMeWow Studios SL.
At Anderson Strathern, the team is adept in a broad variety of advisory and corporate transactional matters; examples include joint ventures, share and asset transactions, investments, financing, governance affairs, financing and restructuring. The team is led by Simon Brown and counts its expertise in employee ownership transactions and active presence in the SME field among its key distinguishers. Additional sectors of activity include healthcare, hotels and tourism, food and drink, energy and renewables.
Other key lawyers:
Bruce Farquhar; Colin Young; Euan Tripp
‘Expertise in all aspects of law. I deal with Colin Young. He has extensive conveyancing expertise, ability to pass a client’s problem to the appropriate partner. Qualified staff who can deal with conveyancing matters in England.’
‘I deal with Colin Young. He has extensive conveyancing and business expertise, is very approachable, and gives a feeling of total confidence in his ability.’
‘The firm has a solid depth of knowledge over a broad and diverse number of sectors.’
They regularly act for private and public body clients which gives them a good understanding of the issues that require to be resolved in litigation (ie they can see things from the other side’s perspective).’
‘The firm’s individuals are very good at communicating, keeping counsel up to date and also offering their own views and input as to strategic planning.’
‘Colin Young is great at thinking outside the box in order to produce creative solutions to his client’s needs and issues.’
Foresight Group LLP
The Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service
Locogen Developments Limited
Shard Credit Partners Limited
Circular 1 Health
Tricapital Investment Syndicate
Livos Renewables Ltd
2e-volve (UK) Limited
Scotdor LLP/ Dorsuite/Hall & Tawse Joinery Ltd
Fairview International School (UK) Limited / Fairview Berhad
Selling shareholders of GLG Telecom Limited
Scottish Midland Cooperative Society Limited
- Acted as Scots law counsel for Valaris in its financial restructuring (following a US Chapter 11 procedure) and issuance of $550m of new secured notes.
- Advised Foresight Group LLP in connection with its equity investment and management buy-in in R.F. Brown Limited.
- Advised Eco Projects IOM Limited in connection with a joint venture with Qair, a leading French renewables group, to develop and operate onshore solar and wind assets.
BTO Solicitors LLP
BTO Solicitors LLP is home to practice head Scott Wyper, a lawyer with a track record in M&A, investments and joint ventures; his team is active across the leisure, renewable energy, property development and housebuilding sectors and is also engaged for corporate governance and restructuring affairs. The practice caters to both local and international clients, recently noting an uptick in its cross-border activities.
Other key lawyers:
Jeremy Glen; Andrew Sleigh; Alastair Dunn; Emma Barclay
‘BTO have a great depth to their team , and bring great knowledge and foresight to individual transactions. They are always a joy to work with, and take a very collaborative approach with working with the client’s accountants- really working as a team. Their strength is their people, who provide great support and empathy to their clients.’
‘The greatest value is in their knowledge and experience. This allows the individuals to give great support to clients and to provide a calm assurance when matters may be getting stressful.’
‘The team at BTO is very responsive and make themselves available at short notice to discuss issues that may arise. They have a good grasp of the challenges in this sector.’
‘Andrew Sleigh has a depth of knowledge in experience in this area that is second to none.’
Mactaggart and Mickel
Scottish Hydro Investment Limited
Peter Vardy Group
Scott Group Limited
Maven Capital Partners UK LLP
CRF Hydro Power Limited
Scottish Football Association
Angus Dundee Distillers plc
John McGavigan Limited
- Advised Scottish Hydro Investment Limited on the acquisition of two SPVs developing hydro electric generation schemes, including an internal restructure and project finance transaction for part of the acquisition price.
- Advised Domnet Limited on exit from technology company as part of a sale to a US based entity.
- Acted for the shareholders of Rail Electrification Limited in the sale of their shares to a national listed buyer specialising in engineering services and specialist building.
Davidson Chalmers Stewart is home to both M&A and private equity prowess, acting across an array of healthcare, renewables, waste and technology-related deals. Craig Stirling serves as practice head, catering to a client roster which ranges from start-ups through to multinational corporates; he is especially accomplished in commercial contract, partnership advice, reorganisations and funding mandates, while Stephen Smith is a key contact for company and business transactions, shareholder agreements and share option schemes.
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Smith; Arveen Arabshahi; Vicky Ward
‘Excellent support, always works in a timely manner with precision to support our transactions to close.’
‘Vicky Ward, is excellent. She understands our business and works later often to support our transactions to close. Vicky is always professional and incredibly supportive.’
‘After working with a number of law firms, both in private practice and in-house, DCS stands out for me as being down-to-earth, commercially aware, and completely genuine – while at the same time providing technical legal expertise which was always on point. This combination can be hard to come by in the legal profession. I engaged DCS (Stephen Smith) primarily for their corporate law expertise.’
‘I worked with Stephen Smith, Partner at DCS, assisted by Vicky Ward, Solicitor at DCS. I found it very easy to have a comfortable working relationship with Stephen, and he had become my sounding board on all things legal for the business. As sole legal counsel, I really have relied on him since I started here, as I have considered him part of a wider legal team. While conveying the legal expertise, he maintains a sense of humour and friendly and approachable manner, which has made him a pleasure to work with particularly in these challenging times. He was responsive and quick to engage.’
RUA Life Sciences PLC
Kelvin Capital Limited
Angel Trains Group
Full Circle Equity Partners
- Acted for CSG Hotels and Apartments Limited on the £45m share sale of CSG Baxter’s Place Limited (owner/operator of the Courtyard by Marriott, Edinburgh) to HICP Holdings Limited, part of the Marathon Hotels Group.
- Continued to support existing client Wavegarden on the development of a world class inland artificial surf wavegarden.
- Acted for longstanding client Kelvin Capital Limited on 7 completed private equity investments over the course of the year with a total investment value of circa £30m in a diverse range of early-stage Scottish growth companies. The pipeline of deals for this client in 2022 remains very strong.
The team at Lindsays counts M&A deals, private equity investments and employee ownership endeavours among its core strengths. David Wood oversees the practice, which caters to domestic and international clients alike, and is active across the food and drink, renewables, childcare and technology sectors. The team is also home to Douglas Roberts an up-and-coming partner with a track record in M&A within the professional services, healthcare and sports sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Tweedie; Douglas Roberts; Ian Mitchell
‘The firm has dedicated team to attend our needs in legal service. They are very proactive in assessing our needs, and always ensure the right individual in place to guide us through various business activities.’
‘Extremely efficient at moving the project along and responding to points raised by other involved parties’ lawyers.’
‘Douglas Roberts at Lindsays was largely responsible for the strengths mentioned above.’
‘Attention to detail and personal attention. Clear expectation of service and pricing delivery of sale process.’
‘David Wood offers knowledge, personal attention, timely advice and patience.’
‘The corporate team are superb. Value for money, responsive and really go the extra mile.’
‘Douglas Roberts is one of the best lawyers I’ve worked with. Never have to ask twice for anything, and he is brilliant with clients.’
‘Douglas Roberts was excellent throughout the whole process. Took time and noted every detail necessary and explained everything thoroughly.’
Edward Bruce and others
SIS Investments Limited
Neele-Vat Logistics B.V.
Patrick and Niall Corry
Reid & Fraser Limited
Capital for Colleagues
Global Energy Partnership Limited
Coro Energy plc
Archangel Investors Limited
Build a Rocket Boy Ltd
The University of St Andrews
- Advising the shareholders of Bruce Stevenson Limited in a multi-million-pound sale to Goldman Sachs-backed firm, Aston Lark.
- Advising SIS Ventures on their investments (with an aggregate value in excess of £24m) in EnteroBiotix Limited as part of a £15.5m Series A funding round, Cyan Forensics Limited as part of a £5m funding round, Trojan Energy Limited as part of a £2.2m late seed funding round and Solasta Bio as part of a £1.3m funding round.
- Advising Guitar Guitar Limited, the UK’s biggest guitar retailer with over 160 employees across six locations, on its transition to employee ownership becoming the first musical instrument retailer in the UK to move to employee ownership.
Macdonald Henderson, a specialist corporate law firm, runs a workload spread across M&A, investments and MBOs, both domestic and cross-border. Managing partner David Beveridge has over 25 years’of experience under his belt and leads the offering jointly with Laura McKnight, a lawyer with specific expertise in overseeing the employment considerations of corporate transactions.
David Beveridge; Laura McKnight
‘Diverse range of skills to cover all legal aspects required by a small SME.’
‘David Beveridge provides a unique, personal service which feels like they are part of the company team.’
‘The Team at Macdonald Henderson are all commercially aware and take time to understand the nature of the transactions their clients are undertaking. Although a partner-led business, the team below partner level are all extremely committed and ensure that their clients feel supported and valued at all times.’
‘David Beveridge is the partner in charge and brings his wealth of experience to all situations. He is very good at putting clients at ease and giving them confidence that they are in safe hands, often at a time when their stress levels are at breaking point. Laura McKnight has given valuable advice on HR and EMI matters and is extremely knowledgeable in her chosen areas. She is extremely well organised and ensures that she sticks to timetables and budgets given to clients.’
‘We used Macdonald Henderson to sell our Business in November 2021. They were extremely efficient, very courteous and they communicated at our level.’
‘They made themselves available at times that suited us, answered e-mails and calls promptly. They were a pleasure to work with.’
‘The very highest level of professionalism delivered with great humanity. I was exceptionally impressed with the advice, care and attention to detail provided by David Beveridge and his colleagues during an investment transaction in late 2020. David was completely open to discuss any aspect of the transaction and provide perspective, rational explanations and sound advice on matters that we new territory for me while ensuring tight timelines were met.’
‘David Beveridge is undoubtedly an exceptionally talented lawyer with first-class knowledge and professionalism. A person of the highest integrity who is fully deserving of recognition as an outstanding legal mind and a great credit to the legal profession.’
‘MacDonald Henderson in my opinion are an outstanding law firm. Led by the extremely able and charismatic David Beveridge, his energy and ruthless attention to detail run right through the firm and all it’s team. Every member of the firm that I have engaged with, offers clear insightful advice and calming reassurance too when required. In any time of legal need, I would not want another team in my corner.’
Boss Door Controls
Electric Heating Company
George Davie & Sons
KJ Tait Engineers
Lanarkshire Enterprise Services
Morrisons Food Services
Cuthbertson & Laird
RB Safety Consultants
- Acting for Turnkey Group on the disposal of Turnkey Business Software and Turnkey Infrastructure Solutions from the group to Kick ICT Group, the fast-growing single source IT group.
- Advising Target Healthcare the Scottish pharmaceutical company, on the £7m acquisition of a multi-site manufacturing and sourcing division of Clinigen, the UK PLC pharmaceutical company.
- Advising fast growing medical device company Emblation, on an eight figure investment by healthcare investor Apposite Capital to support its international growth and broaden its go-to market offering.
A firm with over 150 years in the Scottish market, MacRoberts LLP caters to a mixture of public and private sector players, directing particular emphasis towards the energy, technology, food and drink, dental and healthcare sectors. Team head Alan Kelly is a transaction specialist with 20 years worth of experience in business acquisition and disposals as well as equity investments. A further standout name is David Wylie, noted for his expertise in M&A, company formation, corporate governance and joint ventures.
Other key lawyers:
David Wylie; Michael Kelly; Louise Mahon; Gary Baines
‘Gary Baines has an ability to make sure clients understand the legal issues, which sets him apart from other lawyers.’
‘MacRoberts offers professional and quality services throughout our overseas investment project. As an Asia based company like us that might not be familiar with the UK legal terms, MacRoberts has been very supportive to guide us complete the shares purchasing agreement step by step. During the conversion via emails, they always provide prompt response with clear solution to our questions.’
‘Alan Kelly form MacRoberts is our main partner in this investment project. We really appreciated his attention to details and responsiveness. The investment project was a bit complicated as we had to purchase the shares from 23 different shareholders around the world at the same time. We had a great time working with Alan and a big success of the investment.’
W H Malcolm
Renewi Group plc
Student Loans Company
The Renaissance Care Group
- Acted for various independent financial adviser businesses across Scotland Since 2019. The team has advised on over 20 M&A transactions with a combined consideration total of over £50m.
- Advised on a total of 16 healthcare-related sales to corporate consolidators of a wide variety of dental practices across Scotland with a total deal value of c.14.5m.
- Acted on the purchase of 4 concrete plants in Scotland by Tillicoultry Quarries from CEMEX UK. This deal was a key strategic acquisition for Tillicoultry Quarries’ in broadening its geographic reach for ready mixed concrete products.
MBM Commercial is distinguished through its clear focus on representing high-growth technology companies, and their investors, at all phases of a company life cycle, from development through to exit. Practice head Kenny Mumford is active across M&A, venture capital fund formation and equity investment; his team includes Tracey Ginn, a lawyer distinctly-placed when it comes to international transactions owing to her 12 years of practicing in the US.
Other key lawyers:
Stuart Hendry; Tracey Ginn
‘MBM is fantastic at corporate transactions. We have now used them twice and their performance has been spectacular.’
‘They have a wide portfolio of services, so a perfect one-stop shop for small and mid-size companies.’
‘Stuart Hendry is the best deal solicitor I’ve seen. His professionalism, preparedness, responsiveness, and negotiation skills are second to none.’
Seraphim Space (Manager) LLP (“Seraphim”),
Kick ICT Group
- Advising Invizius on its Series A £5.3m funding raise investment.
- Advising Strathberry Holdings Ltd on an investment of £8m and group restructuring.
- Advising Indinature on £3m funding raise investment round from the Scottish National Investment Bank (SNIB).
Morton Fraser caters to a broad array of market players including SMEs, investment funds and syndicates, public sector entities and family businesses. Austin Flynn leads the department, leveraging his experience in disposals, equity fundings, acquisitions, restructuring and commercial contracts; his team also holds district expertise in crowd funding and private fund limited partnerships in addition to spin-outs in the higher education sector. Andrew Walker joined from Addleshaw Goddard in October 2021, arriving with a wealth of transactional expertise, including company share option schemes, and broad sector expertise which spans non-domestic water, food and drink, technology and manufacturing.
Other key lawyers:
Adrian Bell; Iain Young; Andrew Walker
‘We’ve been working with Andrew Walker for over 10 years and he’s an exemplary lawyer. Couldn’t be more helpful and proactive. He understands our business and more importantly understands how we want to present ourselves to clients and partners. He always picks the right person to do the job for us and his oversight is invaluable. He’s part of our team.’
Investec Bank plc
Wardpark Studios Limited
Digital Future Capital Limited
Dxcover Limited (formerly ClinSpec DX)
Witherby Publishing Group Limited
Par Equity LLP
Archangel Informal Investment
Apollo Informal Investment Limited
- Advised the selling shareholders in the widely reported sale of Wardpark Studios Limited to Hackman Capital Partners (Los Angeles) and its partner, Square Mile Capital Management (New York).
- Acted for Investec Bank plc as agent and arranger of £21.5m term and revolving credit syndicatable facilities provided to a newco incorporated and sponsored by Palatine Private Equity and rollover management.
- Advised Digital Future Capital Limited (DFCL) on its fundraising via the issue of an Information Memorandum to raise a minimum of £5m by the issue of share capital. DFCL is Scotland’s first Digital Asset Hedge Fund.
TLT operates across Scottish, national and international transactions, deploying the leadership of Damien Bechelli a specialist in M&A disposals, joint ventures, restructurings, private equity and corporate advisory matters; he is supported by legal director Kirsty Smith, an expert in private equity financings and investments.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fast, efficient, available, reasonable fees. Work on holidays and late at night to get work done.’
‘Intelligent, tactful, good-humored, good at managing the participants in the process.’
‘Damien Bechelli – very experienced, excellent range of knowledge, very good at keeping the client focused on the important things. Good advice on any topic and good at managing the process.’
Biffa Waste Services Limited
Intelligent Land Investments Group PLC
ILI Energy Storage plc
- Advised ILI Group PLC on 4 separate corporate sales of significant Battery Storage projects in the clean energy sector.
- Advised a London-based healthcare fund on strategic corporate disposals to a private equity investment manager focused on real estate related opportunities across Europe and which has deployed over €2bn of equity. The transactions were complex and took over 7 months to complete.
- Advised BayWa r.e, a global energy developer who operate in 28 countries, with revenues of almost €2.5bn, on a corporate acquisition of a solar and battery storage development company. This was a second corporate instruction advising BayWa r.e.
At Bellwether Green, the team demonstrates particular accomplishment in respect of management and employee buy outs, scale ups and investments. April Bingham leads the offering which frequently represents family companies and is well-placed to advise on transactions in the £2-10m+ range.
‘Bellwether Green are a great team that seem to cover all of the bases required of a corporate lawyer, they all have different specialties so collectively they always have an expert available. I also find the billing fair and transparent, and they don’t bill for the odd question on the phone like many firms do.’
‘They are all very approachable and friendly and I usually find I can speak with April Bingham (founding partner) or a colleague on the day I get in contact if I need to ask or check something.’
‘The team is partner led, which means a valuable conversation can be had very early on. The relationship between client, partner and team feels a very close one. Despite this, the advice is fairly and consistently priced, rather than subject to the fee adjustments which feel so inevitable in other situations.’
‘The team are approachable and give useful, commercial advice rather than just statements of point of law. This enables them to be part of a client’s thinking and decision making process at an early stage, as opposed to just later legal implementation. This advice is rooted in the real world rather than in statutes which is always much appreciated.’
‘The team were excellent and in particular April Bingham was on hand whenever needed to assist with any queries I had during the process.’
‘Everyone was attentive and helpful at every turn. April Bingham would reply to emails even late a night which was very helpful at times.’
‘A focused, pragmatic and commercial approach to finding a solution that works for all sides in a transaction. Excellent communication and a true partner led approach to getting our fundraising done made all the difference. I wouldn’t hesitate to engage again.’
‘April Bingham is superb. Approachable, highly commercial and knowledgeable she is a delight to work with and added huge value during the engagement.’
Macs Adventure Limited
Browns Furniture Holdings Limited
AGL1 Holdings Ltd
Martin Precision Limited
Vertu Motors plc
DSL Business Finance Ltd
Mellex Group Limited
Clyde Property Limited
Craigalan Group Limited
Castlebay Investment Partners LLP
- Acting for the management on the buy out of Total Envelope Asset Management (TEAM) Limited, which completed within very short timescales.
- Acting on the acquisition of Bridgend Hire Limited and Leggate Plant Limited for Mellex Group Limited.
- Acting for the parent company of Macs Adventure Limited on a significant and strategic investment.
Blackadders LLP is a long-established player in the Dundee and Aberdeen and has rapidly expanded its presence in the Central Belt of late. Peter Duff fronts the Glasgow practice, delivering particular expertise in the healthcare, technology and pharmaceutical sectors; his team is instructed on a wealth of M&A and investment round matters in addition to employee ownership transactions.
‘Commercial team are very responsive and easy to contact.’
‘The team or person given responsibility for the project or task are always capable and any gap within their knowledge or experience can be filled by other specialists within the practice.’
‘The stand out partner is Peter Duff who has many years of experience and in my view always provides good practical and sound commercial advice which is very good for the client and not necessarily in line with maximising fee income for the practice will more often than not lead to long term repeat business.’
M & D Green Group
Eden Mill St Andrews
Symbiosis Pharmaceutical Services
- Advised the shareholders of Eden Mill St Andrews on the sale and subsequent investment in the company by private equity firm Inverleith, resulting in their acquisition of a majority stake in the company.
- Advised Bannerman’s Pharmacy on the sale of the entire issued share capital of Dunblane Healthcare Limited, operating two pharmacies in Dunblane, Stirling, to Davidsons Chemists.
- Advised Barnets & Daughters Limited on their sale of the business and assets of luxury candle making business, Shearer Candles, to Hayes & Finch.
Gillespie Macandrew LLP
A firm long-established in the land and rural business, energy and commercial property sectors, Gillespie Macandrew LLP is active across an array of M&A, corporate equity, debt finance and restructuring matters. Team head Christopher Smith is well-versed in representing companies at all stages of the business lifecycle, from establishment and investments through to contracts and eventual sale.
Other key lawyers:
‘Derek McCulloch is an excellent solicitor.’
Johnson and Johnson Foundation Scotland
- Acted as lead counsel to Johnson and Johnson Foundation Scotland (JJFS) in connection with a significant cross border funds investment.
Weightmans LLP’s fields a team in Glasgow which operates in close tangent with its nationwide practice. The department is instructed on OMB and SME-related M&A deals in addition to general corporate law support such as commercial contract, governance, joint venture and company law affairs. Key fields of activity include sport, IT, real estate, healthcare, insurance and the public sector. Claire McCracken and Nicola Gonnella make up the two-partner team.
Sarah Walton (Manchester)
Other key lawyers:
Claire McCracken; Nicola Gonnella
‘It is a truly partner-led relationship, and is like working with a niche firm but with the support of the UK national team. The team at Weightmans have always been able to resolve our issues, and answer any questions we have across the spectrum of legal disciplines.’
‘Claire McCracken leads the team in Scotland and I have always found her a pleasure to work with. Claire understands the need for clear commercial advice, and has always served us well in getting to the crux of our issues, coming up with clever business solutions to get us to where we want to be. She offers pragmatic advice, and adapts well to fast moving situations. Claire is ably supported by a strong team.’
Mercarto Limited and Mercarto Enterprise
Studio Messa PTY Limited
International Medical Press Limited
PIB Insurance Brokers
Street Systems Limited
Surrey & Sussex Police
British Transport Police
Luxfer Mel Technologies
Valiant Sport Horses
Nucleus Holdings Limited
Rutland County Council
University of Newcastle
Real Life Options
McGill’s Bus Services Limited
Environmental Air Conditioning (Scotland) Limited
National Autograss Sports Association Limited
Mearns After School Care Service Limited
Simian Risk Management Limited
SB Drug Discovery Limited
Holdfast Entertainment Limited
Greenlight Digital Limited
Axius Homes Limited
Higgs & Co Solicitors
- Represented Apadmi (award winning software development company) with negotiation of a high value software development/services agreement with Sainsbury’s.
- Provided dedicated general counsel support to Mercarto, recently representing it in a negotiation of agile software development services agreement with Bohoo.
- Providing on-going general corporate/commercial advice, contract reviews/negotiations and policy and governance support to International Medical Press Limited.
Wright, Johnston & Mackenzie LLP
Wright, Johnston & Mackenzie LLP counts its expertise of the healthcare sector, which extends to pharmacies, care homes, veterinary and GP practices, dentists and opticians as a key point of differentiation. Colin Millar, a commercial contracts and M&A expert, fronts the practice which is also active in the food and drinks, technology and start-up areas.
Other key lawyers:
Ken Long; Susan Hoyle; Graham Bell
‘Very complete team with expertise in all areas of law, i.e. they can take care of any matter on any area of law. I really appreicate that partners are involved in the matters, they know the case, the details. Very quick in their response and always very solicitous. Fees are very reasonable.’
‘Colin Millar. I work with many firms around Europe and, without hesitation, he is the best partner I have. Very commercial and client oriented, he is able to quickly identify the type of support the client needs. He is super quick in providing feedback. Attentive, polite. His advice is always detailed and reliant. During periods where a team member has been out of the office for any reason we have always counted with the extra support of Colin. It is a real pleasure to work with him.’
‘WJM have a unique client-based approach. They make a genuine attempt to understand the detail of your business, the personalities and the objectives. They also have an innovative approach to dispute resolution and regularly challenge conventional legal arguments to support their client.’
‘WJM take time to explain to their people the culture and objectives of their client. They align them properly and make sure they are the right fit for the client. . The individuals all have a realistic understanding of the challenges facing a commercial organisation and offer a reassuring, empathetic and considered legal perspective on matters.’
‘The team are outstanding with ability to manage our, at times, exceptional workload. They are attentive and detail conscious. They know our business and how we work. They are small enough that we feel we get personal attention.’
‘We could not ask for better individuals – they have given us exceptional service particularly over the pandemic when we have been very busy.’
‘Having engaged WJM for the sale of a business in excess of £3m I had to have the absolute trust in the management of all aspects of the process but especially the due diligence. Professionalism and expertise were evident at all times and I felt complete trust in the members of staff to guide us where appropriate and to step back where necessary to allow inpatial decisions to be made. First-class service.’
‘I have used other legal services in the past but have never had the quality of attention and perfection demonstrated throughout as I did with WJM.’
Shareholders of Kingdom Homes Limited
Shareholders of Meadowgreen Healthcare Limited
Eastwood Pharmacy Group
Cliniwaste Health South Limited
Shareholders of Cake Stuff Limited
Macfarlane Group plc
Vector Photonics Limited
Aureum Diagnostics Limited
Equity Gap Limited
Beam Suntory Group
- Acting for Kingdom Homes Limited, advising shareholders on exit of residential care homes industry in one of the largest corporate transactions WJM has ever been involved in.
- Instructed by Equity Gap Limited, advising client on 21 further investments over the course of 2021 expanding its portfolio of investments following its most successful year to date.
- Acting for Macfarlane Group plc, instructed in two acquisitions over the course of 2021 which were instrumental in a profitable and successful year.