PPP and procurement in Romania
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii is a key player in the PPP and infrastructure market. The multi-disciplinary team has developed a strong reputation for advising contractors and public sector bodies on major procurement tenders, and all stages of projects. Managing partner Florentin Tuca is highly experienced in the related international arbitration proceedings and ICSID claims, while Serban Pâslaru and Vlad Cercel focus on PPPs and procurement projects across a wide range of sectors.
Muşat & Asociaţii has a highly experienced team, which is well versed in representing private sector clients across a broad range of tenders and public procurement exercises including advice on major PPPs, and construction, telecoms, IT and engineering projects. Group head Iulian Popescu and Răzvan Stoicescu handle a variety of non-contentious issues, while Angela Porumb is experienced in procurement litigation.
CCCC Tianjin Dredging
Solar Turbines Europe
Delta Antrepriza De Constructii Si Montaj
- Assisting CCCC Tianjin Dredging with a tender organised by Romanian Waters National Administration for a €150m coastal protection project.
- Advising industrial engineering company, Sutech, as lead contractor on a €56m compressor station construction project.
- Advising IT company, Net Brinel, on a technical support and maintenance tender organised by the Romanian National Institute of Statistics.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen fields a highly diverse practice, with strong experience in procurement proceedings in the healthcare, social infrastructure, energy and transportation sectors. The firm acts for several major pharmaceuticals, engineering and construction companies on the bidding and implementation stages of projects, as well as handling the related disputes. Adina Chilim-Dumitriu and senior partner Adriana Gaspar jointly lead the group and have substantial expertise in the procurement arena.
Adina Chilim-Dumitriu; Adriana Gaspar
‘Diverse and competent, the firm is a well established authority in legal matters in Romania and probably the most prestigious go-to firm when you need professional advice credible for the external stakeholder. Due to its size and experience, the team is able to cover a variety of cross-disciplinary topics, which is especially valuable in complex projects.’
‘Adina Chilum-Dumitriu is an excellent example of extreme competence in her area of expertise coupled with client focus and service. I have worked with her on numerous projects and she has always met my expectations, seconded by an equally competent and dedicated team.’
Veolia Water Solutions & Technologies
Iridex Grup Salubrizare
SECOL Societa Edile Costruzioni e Lavori
- Successfully represented the FCC Construccion, Aqualia and Suez consortium in a dispute regarding the award for the extension of the Glina wastewater treatment plant and the construction of a sludge incinerator.
- Advising Impresa Pizzarotti on the implementation of the Vintu de Jos-Cosariu railway rehabilitation project, as well as the contract for the Sebes-Turdu motorway rehabilitation.
- Advising PORR Construct on various public procurement projects including the expansion and modernisation of Oradea Airport.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii has substantial experience in procurement work and represents a mix of private and public sector clients. The firm has been involved in several major tenders in the education, healthcare, and IT sectors, and also has notable expertise in major infrastructure projects. Alexandru Ambrozie has a track record advising contractors and software developers, while Florian Niţu has recently been very active on the public sector side. Irena Anca Tudorie is also noted for her strong expertise in infrastructure projects, and highly experienced associate Ramona Pentilescu is also well regarded.
Florian Niţu; Irena Anca Tudorie; Alexandru Ambrozie
- Advising the Local Council of Mogoşoaia on the PPP tender for the development of ‘Carol Davila’ University Medical City, including an emergency hospital, medical research centre, a University of Medicine and Pharmacy, and student accommodation.
- Acting for SAP on a public procurement tender organised by the Romanian Competition Council for the acquisition of a Big Data Platform.
- Assisting Senia Music with a PPP tender for the acquisition of pianos by the Gheorghe Dima Music Academy in Clus-Napoca.
VASS Lawyers is a highly regarded boutique, which focuses purely on contentious and non-contentious PPP and procurement issues. The firm acts for private sector clients, and managing partner Iulia Vass is a go-to figure in the market. The group has been involved in several major projects, including handling the tender and development of a university campus project, advising an oil services company on multiple services agreements, and assisting a dairy producer with a major food distribution agreement. Bianca Bello is very active on the advisory side, while recently promoted partner Alexandra Mititelu handles contentious work.
‘VASS Lawyers has an outstanding contract understanding, often exceeding our expectations when reviewing or drafting contracts; this applies both for legal and business/technical aspects. I would say they have a deep understanding of the IT industry, as well as a very good value for money ratio.’
‘They have a vast experience in PPP and procurement, their legal advice is of the highest quality and their support and commitment is exemplary. They are extremely prompt, efficient, insightful and their creative approach has always helped us achieve the desired outcome.‘
‘Iulia Vass, the managing partner, is an impressive lawyer and consultant. I am always at peace knowing she’s reviewing my contracts, and I really appreciate that she’s got the business insight, making her a consultant on top of being the legal service provider; Also, she’s a deal maker, not a deal breaker.’
Bondoc si Asociatii SCA has a versatile team, which stands out for its notable expertise advising healthcare clients on public tenders for the provision of medicines. The firm is also experienced in telecoms, IT, and infrastructure projects, including the related contentious matters. Simona Petrisor leads the practice, which also includes managing partner Lucian Bondoc and litigator Viorel Dinu.
Procter & Gamble
Leading Edge Materials
Euro Sun Mining
- Representing WSP International in a public procurement dispute concerning the construction of a sports complex.
- Advising Johnson & Johnson on various public tenders organised by the Romanian authorities for HIV drugs.
- Advising Sanofi on discussions with the Ministry of Health concerning the performance of a public procurement contract for providing vaccines.
Leroy si Asociatii has a key track record in advising on public procurement tenders, as well as handling the related litigation. The firm is notable for advising on complex projects in highly sensitive sectors including the defence and nuclear energy industries. Bruno Leroy and Andreea Toma are highly experienced in this area and jointly lead the practice.
Bruno Leroy; Andreea Toma
- Advising Expert Petroleum on a production enhancement services agreement with OMV Petrom concerning services for 13 oil and gas fields in western Romania.
- Assisting Vitalia with the day-to-day management of its water management system, including acting in a dispute related to tariffs applied to the disposal of waste at Tarpiu IWMS and VSPM.
- Representing the consortium Euro Gammas Association in a dispute with the Horia Hulubei National Institute of Nuclear Physics over the performance of a public procurement contract to install a gamma beam system for destroying nuclear waste.
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA assists clients will the full spectrum of public procurement mandates. Construction companies, industrial manufacturers, and transport logistics companies form the majority of the group's client base, and the team also represents lenders on related issues including regulatory matters. The public procurement team is led by Oana Vodă, while Matei Florea heads up the PPP and projects group.
Matei Florea; Oana Vodă
- Advising a construction company as bidder on public procurement contracts for infrastructure projects with a total value of €1.3bn.
- Advising a private equity fund on the development of airport infrastructure in Bucharest.
- Assisting a logistics group with a comprehensive review of Romania’s public procurement legislation.
Voicu & Filipescu SCA has a good reputation in the market for major transport infrastructure projects and was recently involved in several tenders in the healthcare sector. The practice, which includes team co-heads Raluca Mihai and Marta Popa, is experienced in every stage of a mandate, from pitch through to project and also complaint procedures.
Marta Popa; Raluca Mihai
General Electric Medical Systems
- Advised Danya Cebus on the public procurement tender organised by the state-owned roads company, Compania Nationala de Administrare a Infrastructurii Rutiere, for the design and construction of the Timisoara Sud bypass.
- Assisted General Electric Medical Systems with various public procurement tenders, including the tender for the acquisition of RMN equipment by the Carol Davila Hospital.
- Assisting Ecolab with filing a complaint against a tender award overseen by Timisoara Hospital for the supply of cleaning products.
Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners is well equipped to act for public and private sector clients on the full range of PPP and public procurement matters. The firm has advised both sides of the table in numerous keystone road and rail projects, and is also highly experienced in energy and healthcare issues. Elena Iacob leads the team, which also benefits from the administrative litigation expertise of Monica Strimbei.
‘ZRVP is one of the best legal firms in the Romanian market and we have never been disappointed by their performance in the various mandates that we have entrusted them with over the years. Their strengths and key capabilities include their dedication, prompt response, perfect knowledge of the matters in dispute both from a substantial law and a procedural law point of view, strategic vision and delivery of best possible outcome for a fair cost.’
‘We turn to Monica Strimbei in relation to any PPP & Public Procurement matters. Monica is an excellent litigator who has never failed us, both in terms of responsiveness and results, and we are keen to have her on our side on any sensitive matters.’
National Commission for Strategy and Prognosis
Institutul Clinic Fundeni
Maramures County Council
Vrancea County Council
Water Company Oradea
- Advising the National Commission for Strategy and Prognosis on the negotiation of the public-partnership agreement for the €1.4bn Ploiesti-Brasov Motorway PPP.
- Acting for Ellaktor, a member of the winning consortium, on the €680m rehabilitation of the Brasov-Simeria railway line.
- Advising the Institutul Clinic Fundeni, one of the major Romanian public health services providers, as contracting authority on various public procurement procedures.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica is recommended for its public procurement experience across a range of sectors, including the transport, security, construction and energy industries. As well as advice on concession agreements and PPPs, the group is also strong on the regulatory and disputes elements of issues. Anca Albulescu leads the team alongside Daniel Stefanica.
Anca Albulescu; Daniel Stefanica
J.H. Tonnjes E.A.S.T
- Advising Habau on a tender for the construction of a natural gas pipeline.
- Advising GFR as bidder in an oil and gas transportation tender.
CMS is singled out for its expertise in the oil and gas sector, where it advises several contractors and oil services companies on tenders and any subsequent issues. The firm also assists lenders with major project financings. The team is jointly led by Gabriel Sidere, who handles disputes and government relations issues, and energy and projects leader Varinia Radu.
Gabriel Sidere; Varinia Radu
Expro North Sea
Newpark Drilling Fluids Eastern Europe
- Advising Expro North Sea on procurement issues linked to a long-term services contract with OMV Petrom.
- Assisting Newpark Drilling Fluids Eastern Europe with negotiating a master service agreement for a large procurement package with a drilling company.
- Advising PeWeTe Evo on its bid for an oilfield services contract with Romania’s largest oil and gas company.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA has extensive expertise across a range of industries, and is particularly strong on procurement projects in the defence sector. Recently the firm has also acted for pharmaceuticals and telecoms clients on major tenders. Corporate and competition head Livia Zamfiropol (Constantinescu) jointly leads the team with Paula Corban-Pelin.
Livia Zamfiropol; Paula Corban-Pelin
Filip & Company is notably recommended for its expertise in energy and infrastructure projects, where practice head Alina Stancu Birsan is highly experienced. The firm also has a good track record in waste management, IT and energy concessions, as well as handling the related disputes.
Alina Stancu Birsan
‘They are very passionate about their work and therefore the deliverable is always excellent.’
‘Cristina Filip is a very clever and innovative lawyer. I always have the feeling she cares about my problems. She and her team delivered on time or even earlier.’
J.P. Morgan Securities Plc.
RCS & RDS
Retim Ecologic Service
- Assisting Retim Ecologic Service with its successful bid for the waste collection service concessions in several Romanian counties.
- Advising Societatea Nationala Nuclearelectrica on the development of Units 3 and 4 of the Cernavoda nuclear power plant.
- Representing RCS & RDS in its court challenge to determine whether a party which does not own a power distribution concession in a specific area could build and operate a power distribution grid and carry out distribution services there.
Popescu & Asociatii has experience advising public and private sector clients on large-scale infrastructure projects and procurement contracts. The practice covers a wide range of sectors including the transport infrastructure, energy, natural resources, urban planning, and digital infrastructure industries. Loredana Popescu and Dana Bivol are highly recommended and jointly head up the group.
Loredena Popescu; Dana Bivol
‘What I appreciate is that the team approaches PPP and public procurement matters in a practical manner because the most important aspect of the case for the client is ultimately the result, and they focus on securing the best outcome for their client. They have a deep understanding of the local landscape and regulations. They are incredibly user-friendly and have a sufficiently large team to handle complex and detailed matters in a very quick time frame. The lawyers are 100% involved in our projects and 100% dedicated to us as a client. I always feel like I am their most important client.’
‘Loredana Popescu is a mastermind, she is very strong both on corporate, M&A work and PPP and procurement. She doesn’t just win the mandate but also goes on to do the groundwork rather than delegating to junior lawyers. She’s meticulous and takes care of every detail, goal-oriented, well connected and makes herself available whenever needed.’
‘I appreciate Dana Bivol’s responsiveness, the hands-on approach and her availability. She is brilliant, highly technical, extremely precise and explains things very clearly.’
Solar Turbines Europe SA
Industrial Bank of Korea
European Investment Fund (EIF)
- Acting for UTI Grup in claims totalling €40m related to complex public-procurement contracts linked to the infrastructure of the Cluj-Napoca airport and IT programmes for public authorities.
- Assisting Octapharma with a PPP project for the construction and operation of a national blood bank.
- Advising Broto Skylift on a public procurement contract with the Romanian State for the provision of truck-mounted aerial platforms.
Reff & Associates SCA advises private sector clients on public bids, and is especially noted for assisting major public bodies and governmental departments with the related regulatory issues. Corporate partner Georgiana Singurel is very active in this area.
Ministry of Communications and Information Society
Ministry of Regional Development and Public Administration
Sibiu International Airport
European Investment Bank – JASPERS
SN Nuclearelectrica SA
Veolia Energie Prahova SRL, Prahova County Council, Ploiesti City Hall
Caterpillar Financial Services Poland
- Assisting the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Administration with its analysis and improvement of the Romanian legislation for development and construction projects.
- Assisting the European Commission and the National Authority for Fiscal Administration with improving the current legal framework for tax inspections in the field of e-commerce.
- Providing Sibiu International Airport with public procurement related legal advice on all matters linked to an audit report relating to its public contracts between 2006 and 2019.
Suciu Popa is a key name for energy related contract procurement and infrastructure advice; its lawyers are also highly experienced in transport infrastructure and public utilities projects. The team also regularly acts for clients in the related disputes. Miruna Suciu, Crina Ciobanu and Luminita Popa are well regarded for their expertise and jointly lead the practice.
Miruna Suciu; Luminita Popa; Cleopatra Leahu
‘The Suciu Popa team is highly qualified in the PPP & Procurement field. Throughout our collaboration the team has continuously proved its capacity to quickly understand the intricacies of the project and to react very promptly, while also offering a practical and thorough approach in all aspects of handling public procurement procedures, authorities and all related aspects.’
‘Crina Ciobanu is an excellent communicator, explaining patiently and clearly all possible scenarios and identifying ways of dealing with them.’
Mercedes Benz Romania
Black Sea Oil & Gas
Rompetrol Rafinare SA
Enel Investment Holding NV
Helix Oilfield Services Ltd
- Assisting construction and infrastructure company Delta Bloc International with the public tender, led by the National Motorway Company, for the procurement of concrete vehicle road restraint systems.
- Assisting Hunt Oil Company with its international tender to select a contractor to carry out a €40m onshore seismic 3D project.
- Representing Hochtief Infrastructure in several disputes linked to its contract for the rehabilitation of a waste water treatment plant.