Real estate and construction in Portugal
The real estate team at Cuatrecasas not only excels in M&A work, but is also adept at advising on the development of real estate projects, offering legal support in relation to licensing and construction issues. Mandates cover all segments of the real estate industry, including emerging areas such as senior and student residencies, as well as co-working and co-living spaces. On the transactional side, the department is experienced in disposals of large real estate-owned (REO) and non-performing loan (NPL) portfolios, investments in hotels and local accommodation units, and sale/acquisition of urban portfolios and rehabilitation projects. Leading the team is Nuno Sá Carvalho, who advises on the full range of transactions pertaining to residential, retail and logistics projects as well as offices, shopping centres and hotels. Senior associate Sara Quaresma's core areas of practice include real estate, licensing and construction.
Nuno Sá Carvalho
‘This law firm is first class in every multi-disciplinary matter. You are sure to be in the best hands in any case.‘
‘The Cuatrecasas team, through an incredible amount of work as well as a very clear and concise communication style, helped us get comfortable with the deal and the local framework. They managed negotiations and maintained a very constructive relationship with our partner/sellers, which is a careful balancing act.‘
‘The flawless level of execution, preparation and creativity in finding solutions for the many problems that can and do pop up in this context, were of a level seldom seen on a European level.‘
‘The overall level of service has been outstanding, namely, in terms of know-how, response times, value for money and business acumen.‘
‘Perfectly aligned with client expectation and results.‘
‘Cuatrecasas has a great knowledge of the market.’
‘The key strength is the team’s ability to understand your needs, and their expertise in the Portuguese Real Estate market. Lawyers always provide the help you need, with total confidence.‘
‘The team’s practical approach and its deep knowledge of the legal framework is worth a mention. Notable language skills are also a strength in this firm.‘
‘Sara Quaresma is a lawyer with professional skills; she is client-oriented, flexible and available.‘
‘Mariana Norton Dos Reis managed the team, liaised in an extremely clear manner, was always available and had a very clear view of our interests, while being flexible enough to accommodate the realities of getting to a deal without hanging onto the position of 100% getting our way.‘
‘Other members on the team standing out for their extreme hard work, focus and creativity include Sara Quaresma, Gonçalo Nogueira, Catarina Lins Aguiar.‘
‘Nuno Sá Carvalho stands out for his experience, know-how, availability, technical skills and personality. His obvious qualities and strengths have clearly been an added value in order for us to achieve our goals.‘
‘Nuno Sá Carvalho is a reference for real estate in Portugal; he demonstrates a strong track record combined with exceptional technical execution.‘
‘Sara Quaresma is a key reference for real estate matters.‘
‘Sara Quaresma and Marta Pereira da Silva provide accurate opinions and demonstrate total commitment.‘
‘Nuno Sá Carvalho’s availability and connection with other partners and associates, particularly the always available and reactive Marta Pereira da Silva from the commercial and corporate team, is essential in the delivery of a unified vision on every single issue.‘
Deka Immobilien Investments
Baupost/Eurofund (BPI Xv S.à.r.l)
Dos Puntos (Värde Group)
Gaw Capital Advisors Limited
Savills Investment Management
Hi Partners (Blackstone)
The Student Hotel
RIVA Asset Management
Drago Capital Real Estate Advisors
Robinson Hotels (Tui Group)
Fundger Asset Mangement (CGD Group)
CBRE Global Investors
Faisal Private Bank
Principal Real Estate Europe
Bank of America
- Advising Invesco on the acquisition of a portfolio of three hotels and one conference centre from Minor Group and respective lease to NHGroup.
- Acting for Deka Immobilien Investments on the acquisition of a trophy office building in Lisbon, in the total amount of €125m.
- Portuguese law advice to Baupost/Eurofund management company in all real estate matters related with the redevelopment of DolceVita Tejo Shopping Centre, acquired by AXA Investment Managers.
Garrigues is one of the first destinations for real estate investment and large-scale development projects in Portugal. Leading international investors and asset managers seek the team's advice in relation to the full range of real estate and construction matters. With a strong focus on transactional work, the practice group is particularly active assisting clients with high-value real estate M&A, investment deals, financing matters and the sale and purchase of real estate asset portfolios. Development projects and asset management are other typical mandates for the department, which is under the leadership of Jorge Salvador Gonçalves, who is a consistent presence in some of the most relevant and complex transactions in this space. Practitioners to note include Miguel Menezes da Silva, who has a background in corporate and M&A, and Mónica Pimenta.
Jorge Salvador Gonçalves
‘Full availability to solve questions upon our request, very detailed and thorough responses to our queries and ample expertise on the issues at hand with great knowledge of local tax and legal particularities.‘
‘I would especially highlight the kindness and availability of the team. It is also worth mentioning the deep knowledge of the area they work with and the good network of contacts they have in the country that help them provide a good service.‘
‘Very collaborative and responsive team.‘
‘Client focus, efficiency on delivering and in-depth knowledge.‘
‘Deep knowledge of real estate legal matters, providing solid advice to clients.‘
‘Garrigues has always proven superior value, delivering an outstanding performance in complex transactions involving different legal practices and teams.‘
‘Jorge Gonçalves is an excellent lawyer who has a delicate and professional manner of dealing with clients.‘
‘Tiago Cassiano’s agile mind and knowledge of tax at both local and international level is a true skill.‘
‘Mónica Pimenta is simply one of a kind. I would recommend her as a legal advisor for any real estate transaction due to her ability to handle complex situations.‘
‘Miguel Menezes Da Silva is a very capable lawyer who can really defend and represent his client’s interests during complicated SPA meetings.‘
‘Mónica Pimenta has demonstrated a great capability to solve complex issues and give us guidance on unknown local matters. Her flexibility to adapt to all circumstances in a very unorthodox deal, sometimes working around the clock, is commendable.‘
‘Jorge Gonçalves oversees all matters behind the scenes, always reaching out and lending a hand when needed.‘
‘Jorge Gonçalves is an experienced lawyer who addresses our problems with solutions that are clear and solid. He is a good team leader, clearly envisages future problems and addresses them.‘
‘Miguel Menezes is very versatile and professional.‘
‘Jorge Salvador Gonçalves is a highly seasoned professional with an unrivalled knowledge of real estate and urban planning legal matters. His engagement and availability to the client is exceptional, and he has an extraordinary decisive approach to transactions.‘
‘Miguel Menezes da Silva has outstanding expertise in the execution of real estate transactions and corporate law.‘
‘Jorge Gonçalves is exceptional. Apart from being highly knowledgeable and responsive, he is extremely dedicated and his advice is very reliable and consistent.‘
‘Miguel Menezes da Silva is solid and deserves credit for his dedication, professionalism and quality of advice.‘
Merlin Properties SOCIMI
AXA IM Real Assets
Harbert Management Corporation
Orion Capital Managers
BMO Real Estate Partners
Swiss Life REIM
- Advising Novo Banco on the €388m landmark sale of a portfolio of REOs comprising more than 8,700 single property assets in Portugal and Spain.
- Acting for Fidelidade Property on the €274m acquisition of development plots designated for a top-end business centre in the context of major urban regeneration project in Lisbon.
- Advising Merlin Properties SOCIMI on the €110m acquisition of two office buildings in the Parque das Nações area in Lisbon.
Fielding extensive expertise in corporate and transactional real estate matters, Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados is noted for advising clients on the most appropriate structures for their real estate investments. The team has a notable track record in the acquisition and sale of large asset portfolios, providing legal support throughout the entire tender process. Areas of activity also include sale and leaseback transactions, rehabilitation of buildings, financing of real estate projects and the acquisition of plots of land for the development of office buildings, residential and industrial property, student residences and hotels. Corporate real estate, tourism and investment vehicle specialist João Torroaes Valente heads the department; Filipa Arantes Pedroso leads advice on some of the major projects undertaken by the team concerning the structuring of real estate asset and share deals; and real estate financing is one of Rita Ferreira Vicente's core areas of practice.
João Torroaes Valente
‘The team has extremely good English skills, which is rare to find in the real estate sector in Portugal.‘
- Legal assistance to Anchorage Capital in relation to the acquisition of a portfolio of approximately 9,000 properties located in Portugal and Spain corresponding to repossessed assets recovered by Novo Banco.
- Advised Fidelidade Seguros on the €425m sale of a portfolio of more than 2,000 properties, including residential, offices and retail located in Portugal.
- Advised Klépiérre on the sale to the open-ended real estate fund CA Património Crescente Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário Aberto of a portfolio of four shopping centres in Portugal.
PLMJ is able to provide support on the entire spectrum of real estate-related issues, from dealing with every aspect of the disposal of real estate assets to negotiating the full range of transactions. Covering advice on construction agreements, guaranteed income acquisitions, sale and leaseback deals, forward purchase, and the structuring of real estate company groups, the team receives regular instructions from investment funds, private equity firms, developers, multinational retailers and hotel groups. Previous international projects co-head Sofia Gomes da Costa, who focuses on cross-border transactions, structured finance and the sale and purchase of large property portfolios, is now leading the real estate team alongside Tiago Mendonça de Castro, who has extensive experience assisting shopping centre developers. Tourism law is Margarida Osório de Amorim's specialism, while portfolio sales and acquisitions is a key focus for Rita Alarcão Júdice. Francisco Lino Dias is another key practitioner; he predominantly acts for institutional investors, investment funds and developers.
Sofia Gomes da Costa; Tiago Mendonça de Castro
‘PLMJ’s practice has proven to be unique in many forms, not only due to its knowledge of the laws that rule our market, but also the total availability and multi-disciplinary expertise offered depending on the matter.‘
‘Its cross-sector capability reveals the quality of the team’s dedication to projects. Another point worth underlining is the positive attitude towards business and people in general.‘
‘Efficient team for real estate transactions.‘
‘They are quick to respond to our needs and explain complex matters in clear English.‘
‘PLMJ has the capability to put in place a winning team of advisors in the different legal disciplines to help you successfully complete even the most complex and time critical transactions.‘
‘The team has demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the issues at hand. We were impressed by their ability to grasp complex issues and clearly identify the respective key challenges and risks.‘
‘Great multi-disciplinary team, offering comprehensive advisory.‘
‘PLMJ advisors are hard-working, always available and very knowledgeable. I can trust that they do their utmost to find the right answer to the problem on hand even if this mean that they need to search for the right answer among professionals in different teams.‘
‘Francisco Lino Dias is an excellent advisor who clients respect and trust.‘
‘Sofia Gomes da Costa always works proactively in achieving clients’ commercial goals within the correct legal frame.‘
‘Sara Blanco de Morais is committed, intrinsically motivated, reliable, honest, detail-oriented and persistent.‘
‘Sara Blanco de Morais has been an outstanding legal partner. She combines outstanding knowledge in her area of expertise with the ability to clearly break down the issues, and propose action-oriented strategies to effectively solve the issues at hand.‘
‘Sara Blanco de Morais has also been most effective in negotiation meetings, with superior skills in presenting and defending arguments.‘
Time Out Markets
CGD Bank (Portuguese State Bank)
UBS Real Estate
United Investments Portugal (of the group IFA Hotels & Resorts)
Invesco Real Estate
Incus Capital Advisors
Oak Tree Capital
Macau Legend Developers
Parvalorem (Portuguese State)
LCN Capital Partners
MEAG Munich Ergo
Global Real Estate Select
Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Fundação Alfredo de Sousa
- Advised Blackstone Group on the disposal of several shopping centres, one of the largest financial transactions in the sector in Portugal in recent years, worth almost €500m.
- Acted for Minor International NH Hotel Group on the sale of the hotels Tivoli Avenida da Liberdade, Tivoli Oriente Lisboa and Avani Avenida da Liberdade to Invesco Real Estate and leaseback by NH Portugal.
- Representing Nozul Algarve in the construction, implementation, contractual structure and management of the first tourism development to be operated and managed under the W brand.
The real estate team at Uría Menéndez – Proença Carvalho demonstrates significant expertise in complex corporate real estate deals, restructuring and financing matters as well as development projects. International investors, notably German, British and American funds, financial institutions and real estate developers instruct the team on a range of transactional work and seek advice in relation to the most efficient investment vehicles from a tax, contractual and regulatory perspective. Notable areas of practice also include the sale and purchase of REO portfolios. Department co-head Duarte Garin is a prominent figure in the real estate sector, standing out for his expertise in urban planning, restructuring and acquisition of mortgage-backed loan portfolios. Co-leader Rita Xavier de Brito has experience in development matters pertaining to shopping centres, office buildings, hotels and urban redevelopment projects. Former head of the São Paulo office Francisco da Cunha Ferreira relocated to the Lisbon office; he focuses on corporate real estate.
Duarte Garin; Rita Xavier de Brito
The Carlyle Group
Oaktree Capital Management
Tristan Capital Partners
Global Asset Capital
- Advised DWS Grundbesitz on the acquisition and refinancing of a shopping centre located in Leiria, Portugal.
- Assisted the joint venture comprising The Carlyle Group and Explorer Investments in the acquisition of companies that, directly and indirectly, own the Penha Longa Hotel Resort.
- Advised on the acquisition from Novo Banco, S.A. and Caixa Geral De Depósitos, S.A. of the closed-end real estate fund Lisfundo, holding the properties where the residential complex designed by award-winning architect Renzo Piano.
In addition to its work on big-ticket transactions, the real estate team at VDA is also adept at rendering day-to-day services to its regular clients. The team has specialised knowledge in all aspects of real estate matters, including financing, development and investments, notably office spaces, hospitality and retail property. Offering legal support throughout all stages of the development of projects, the practice group benefits from a strong international network, with close links to Africa. Head of department Pedro Ferreirinha is experienced in providing assistance to lenders and borrowers in the financing of real estate transactions and on the setting up of investment structures. Foreign investors and developers seek Miguel Marques dos Santos's advice in relation to the sale and lease of real estate property, as well as project management and construction supervision services agreements. Pedro Pereira Coutinho was promoted to the partnership in 2020.
‘Effectiveness, creative approach, accuracy and availability define VdA.‘
‘Pedro Pereira Coutinho is very experienced. He has a great commercial approach and strong legal knowledge.‘
‘Lisa Ventura Lopes is experienced in commercial transactions and construction legal agreements. She’s very rigorous, respects deadlines and has the capacity to find legal solutions to successfully close a transaction or an agreement.‘
‘Pedro Ferreirinha and his team are able to provide an accurate and updated opinion on all types of real estate matters. Lawyers have the ability to adjust and adapt both in technical and business terms to the client’s needs and requests.‘
Via Outlets/Meyer Bergman
Group Claude Berda (Vanguard Properties)
Olissipo Investment Fund
Avenue (Perella Weinberg)
Real Added Value PN – Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário Fechado
Discovery Land Company
Zetland Capital Partners
Abreu Advogados' real estate practice offers a comprehensive service offering, handling complex real estate transactions. The team enjoys a strong reputation in the retail sector, having been involved in several acquisitions and sales of shopping centres, and attracts instructions from fund managers, trusts, developers, investors, owners and occupiers, assisting them throughout all stages of a project. Rui Peixoto Duarte, who has a background in corporate business structuring operations, coordinates the department. M&A operations related to real estate, sale and leaseback transactions as well as construction matters are among Patrícia Viana's key areas of expertise, while Renata Silva Alves focuses on the restructuring of real estate companies.
Rui Peixoto Duarte; Patrícia Viana
‘Abreu is definitely a one-stop solution, with a high degree of professionalism and diligence. It has in-depth knowledge of the legal framework, market and public administration procedures and seeks to safeguard the interest of the client.‘
‘Speed and objectivity in approaching subjects.‘
‘Team has great professionalism and attention to detail.‘
‘Abreu fields a team of lawyers who know how to guide you throughout all the steps of the process.‘
‘Excellent communication in English, comprehensive knowledge and expertise, and very fast and accurate responses.‘
‘Renata Silva Alves stands out for the pragmatic stance with which she addresses challenges and issues.‘
‘One can rest assured that our interests will always be safeguarded by Patrícia Viana.‘
‘Patricia Viana is dedicated to her clients, and makes every effort to contribute to the successful outcome of their goals.‘
‘Francisco Patrício and Renata Alves are exceptional real estate lawyers.‘
Daimler Real Estate
Henley & Partners
Savory & Partners
- Advising FREY on the acquisition of the shares of four companies which own a leading 60,000m² open air shopping centre located in the Algarve.
- Assisted Eurimobe on the sale of the luxury five star hotel Yellow Lagos Meia Praia Hotel, located in Algarve.
- Assisted Portugal Unplugged in the acquisition of two major farms in Alentejo with a total area of 500 hectares for their reconversion into a rural eco-boutique hotel and land for sustainable agriculture.
International and domestic developers, investors and financial institutions retain pbbr - Sociedade de Advogados RL's real estate and urban planning team in relation to all types of projects, ranging from office buildings to commercial, tourism, logistics and residential property. The practice assists with the structuring of real estate projects, which includes acquisition of assets or proprietor companies, financing, development and construction; property investments via companies and real estate investment funds is another key area of activity. Real estate and urban planning specialist Pedro Pinto leads the team, which also includes Teresa Freire.
‘pbbr is a boutique with strong knowledge in the real estate industry and a personalised approach to their clients.‘
‘Pedro Pinto is a senior lawyer who is very experienced in real estate work. He combines a great commercial approach with pragmatic advice and in-depth knowledge of the Portuguese real estate and construction sectors.‘
Avenue /Aermont / Perella Weinberg
Cushman & Wakefield
ECS Capital (Private Equity)
GMG – Geneva Management Group
Keys Asset Management
Louvre Capital (Private Investors)
Signal Capital Partners LLP
- Legal assistance to Signal Capital Partners LLP in the acquisition of a portfolio of nine office buildings in the Office Park Quinta da Fonte.
- Acting for Louvre Capital in the development of various rehabilitation projects in Portugal, involving the acquisition of assets, structuring of operations, and the setting up of special purpose companies.
- Continued legal assistance to Bouygues Immobilier in respect of several projects developed in Portugal, namely shopping centres, retail parks and office buildings.
Boutique law firm Sofia Galvao Advogados stands out for its integrated approach and wealth of experience in real estate and planning law. Typical mandates range from transactional work, such as sale and leaseback matters, to development projects and urban renewal deals. Sofia Galvão's far-reaching expertise covers real estate investments, licensing procedures and assessment of land opportunities, while Hugo Nunes focuses on real estate, construction and litigation, among other fields.
Sofia Galvão; Hugo Nunes
‘Prominent and respected local law firm by official and private entities, which has extensive real estate market knowledge, and is effective in the monitoring of licensing processes.‘
‘Lawyers are always reachable, are quick to provide an opinion, or a report, and they are very good in negotiations with third parties.‘
‘They master their specialism from all perspectives, not only legally, but also practically. They understand the clients’ needs and goals and are truly dedicated to matters.‘
‘Sofia Galvão Advogados has extensive experience and deep knowledge in real estate and construction matters, including the spatial planning legal framework and the ever-changing urban development challenges.‘
‘The team is very client driven and focused on the resolution of the conflicts.‘
‘Real knowledge of legislation and its practical application.‘
‘The team is highly experienced. The knowledge expressed by the senior partners is beyond the law.‘
‘A safe choice when needing to solve real estate and planning law problems.‘
‘Sofia Galvão has a long career and a wealth of experience in these areas. Hugo Nunes is dynamic, sound and assertive in solving and advising very complex problems.‘
‘Hugo Nunes reveals enormous experience with great command of the law and is a fine advocate in litigation.‘
‘Partners such as Hugo Nunes have the ability to easily interact with business perspectives and apply the law.‘
‘Sofia has an impressive knowledge and track record. Her contributions are strategic for the achievement of the clients’ goals.‘
‘Deep real estate law regulations knowledge, direct approach to the problems providing multiple solutions to the client.‘
‘Sofia Galvão and Hugo Nunes reflect the high standards of the profession and the quality of the firm.‘
Discovery Land Company
AUCHAN RETAIL PORTUGAL
EL CORTE INGLÈS
Groupe Jean Turon
- Representing Discovery Land Company in the acquisition and development of its Costaterra project, a prime-location allotment for the purpose of construction of high-end residential property and a resort.
- Advising ECS Capital on the development (leading to the subsequent €125m sale) of FPM41 building, which is recognised as a new iconic office building in Lisbon.
- Represented BATIPART, an important stakeholder in the French real estate landscape, in the acquisition and development of a prime-location asset for the installation of a resort.
Fielding cross-practice expertise in real estate, urban planning, environment law and tourism, CCA Law Firm's service offering covers real estate investments, project development, licensing procedures and sale and leaseback deals. The team is experienced in advising on real estate destined for residential, commercial, industrial and tourism purposes, and has in-depth knowledge of the short-term rental market, Golden Visa programme and Non-Habitual Resident tax regime. Madalena Azeredo Perdigão, who was promoted to partner in 2020, oversees the practice alongside Tomás Assis Teixeira, who heads the tourism and leisure group. Domingos Cruz has a strong track record in corporate and financing structures in the areas of acquisition, construction and development, while Maria Santa Martha advises on purchase, sale and lease transactions related to properties intended for offices, shopping centres and retail parks.
Madalena Azeredo Perdigão; Tomás Assis Teixeira
‘They are very good, fast and efficient.‘
‘CCA is the easiest office to work with, given the total availability and willingness to help, whatever the topic or subject. A well-prepared team with a well-designed and well-formed structure and organisation.‘
‘Lawyers provide detailed answers and make a global assessment of all questions that we put forward in relation to our business.‘
‘Professional, available and knowledgeable team.‘
‘Availability and innovative ideas to support the client and get effective solutions.‘
‘Sara Reis and Domingos Cruz have great negotiating skills. Excellent ability to take projects forward with excellence.‘
A Padaria Portuguesa
Feels Like Home
Procter & Gamble
- Provided legal assistance to Feels Like Home in the lease of five different properties and in the management agreement of another property, all to be exploited as 4-stars hotels.
- Advised a client on the best legal and tax solutions within the development of their activity in Portugal; work involves advising on due diligence procedures and subsequent real estate transactions.
- Assisted a client in the purchase of a building to explore the respective units for short-term rental activity.
DLA Piper ABBC advises all types of players in the real estate market, from real estate consultancy firms to fund managers, on a range of matters, including real estate acquisitions by foreign investors. The department is led by Luis Filipe Carvalho, who has extensive experience on both domestic and cross-border matters. With a particular focus on real estate investments, asset management, development and planning, Paulo Anjo provides daily legal support to several real estate clients.
Luís Filipe Carvalho
‘What differentiates the firm is the team’s in-depth knowledge of the real estate field.‘
‘The team is used to dealing in English with international clients.‘
‘Paulo Anjo deals with lease documentation and negotiations very practically and in a straightforward way.‘
‘Luís Filipe Carvalho is a great legal advisor.‘
Vector Mais – Portuguese construction and interiors company
Corum Asset Management
Prime Yield / Gloval
Brifina – Portuguese construction company
OakTree Group (Estoril Capital Partners)
- Advising EDP Imobiliária on real estate assets and agreements, including property management, in relation to its new headquarters in Lisbon, the art centre/museum MAAT, an office building and a hotel.
- Provide legal assistance to Vector Mais- Projetos e Obras de Interiores, a market leader in office spaces, on several projects and refurbishment works, drafting all the required legal documents and agreements.
- Advised Brifina on the development of the new retail park Forum Estoril.
FCB Sociedade de Advogados' team demonstrates experience across real estate developments, constructions and investments. Other regular mandates include advising on property funding, the granting of leases and construction licences and permits. Miguel Castelo Branco stands out for his in-depth knowledge of the agricultural sector, while Rodrigo Almeida Dias has a background in corporate and M&A, and predominantly advises on matters related to the tourism sector. Advising clients in the negotiation of construction contracts is one of Miguel Lorena Brito's core areas of activity.
Miguel Castelo Branco; Miguel Lorena Brito; Rodrigo Almeida Dias
‘The team provides personalised services and is always available to help.‘
‘The team addresses all of clients’ needs and offers seamless advice.‘
‘Miguel Lorena Brito is knowledgeable and professional.‘
Regus / IWC Group
Quinta da Marinha – Palace Hotel, S.A.
Charm & More – Hotels Resorts
Route One Investment Company
- Advised Urbansymbiosis on the due diligence and acquisition of several residential units in two larger renovation projects in the historic centre of Lisbon.
- Acted on behalf of Regus/ IWG Group, a provider of flexible workplaces, in the opening of new co-working facilities in Lisbon and Porto, as well as the expansion of existing facilities in Braga.
- Assisted Quinta da Marinha – Palace Hotel in the negotiation of agreements and the sale of an 18th century palace located in Lisbon, which will be completely remodelled for the installation of a new hotel.
Handling the entire property life-cycle of real estate projects and transactions, Linklaters is particularly active advising sellers, purchasers and financiers in relation to asset portfolio disposals and acquisitions. The team fields experts in cross-border investment programmes, who are experienced in the establishment of investment vehicles such as real estate funds, joint ventures and partnerships. Head of department Diogo Plantier Santos advises on an array of real estate matters, including asset management, property development and construction projects. Evo Fernandes focuses on real estate transactions and projects for commercial, industrial, retail, residential and tourism purposes.
Diogo Plantier Santos
Värde Partners Europe Limited
DWS (Deutsche Asset Management)
Ocidental Seguros / Ageas Group
Novo Banco, S.A.
Profile – Sociedade Gestora de Fundos de Investimento Mobiliário S.A.
- Acted for Cerberus on the acquisition of a portfolio of over 2,800 properties located in Portugal from Santander, including the acquisition financing from Morgan Stanley.
- Advised Cerberus on the acquisition of a portfolio of REOs located in Portugal and a portfolio of NPLs from Novo Banco; the REO portfolio comprised 195 assets unfolding to 1,228 individual units of industrial, commercial, residential and parking uses.
- Acted for Profile, as fund manager of Banif Imogest – Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário Fechado, on the sale of a portfolio of real estate assets in Portugal to a fund managed by M7 Real Estate.
SRS Advogados provides legal assistance to an increasing number of international clients looking to invest in prime real estate, with a special emphasis on hotel assets. The firm has created a hotel, leisure and tourism group, dedicated to addressing demand in this segment of the market. The firm also advises on commercial leases of office spaces for multinational companies; other instructions relate to the golden visa and non-permanent residents regime. Neuza Pereira de Campos, who focuses on real estate investment, was recently appointed head of department, and receives key support from William Smithson, who predominantly advises on international inbound investment matters.
Neuza Pereira de Campos; William Smithson
‘Timely responses, high level of technical expertise and an extraordinary industry knowledge.‘
‘Strength-in-depth of the team and value for money.‘
‘Neuza Pereira de Campos is an outstanding lawyer with deep knowledge of real estate law contracts and registration issues and a high level of expertise.‘
‘The team is highly efficient, focused and attentive to details.‘
‘Neuza Pereira de Campos is permanently available, and has wide-ranging awareness and experience in real estate legal matters.‘
‘Small team but very professional and efficient. It offers a more personalised service, and is prepared to advise on large projects / transactions.‘
‘Neuza Pereira de Campos is very focused and efficient.‘
M7 Real Estate
Egeo – International
Marcascais – Sociedade Concessionária da Marina de Cascais, S.A.
- Advising ECS on the sale of Vintage Lisboa hotel, as a share deal, with significant deferral of the purchase price, and the appropriate mechanisms of securing the payment.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
With an increasing number of real estate projects, transactions, investments and due diligence exercises among its mandates, Gómez-Acebo & Pombo provides advice to longstanding clients and new players in the Portuguese real estate market. Head of department Sofia Rodrigues Nunes focuses on urban planning and licencing issues. José Manuel Silva Nunes is the key point of contact for real estate instructions, namely development projects in the tourism field and sector-related insolvency matters.
Sofia Rodrigues Nunes
‘José Manuel Silva Nunes is an excellent professional and communicator. He pays close attention to detail and thoroughly reviews all documentation before defining a strategy for solving the client’s problem. He understands the priorities of the client.‘
‘José Manuel Silva Nunes is technically very thorough and well prepared.‘
‘Great responsiveness and interest shown in solving any problem.‘
‘Quality of service, competence and availability.‘
‘The work and advice of José Manuel Silva Nunes is always very complete and rigorous.‘
‘The team is highly competent and professional.‘
‘I would like to point out José Manuel Silva Nunes for his professional capacity and skills in managing human relations. He i s an extremely reliable lawyer with a great future ahead.‘
‘José Manuel Silva Nunes and Sofia R. Nunes are always on top of their work, answer emails or any inquiries promptly and show dedication and commitment.’
BBVA (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria)
- Advised Treasure Scale on the negotiation of agreements with tenants of several units of a real estate property located in a prime area of Lisbon.
- Continues to assist Anidaport on the daily real estate issues associated to all the real estate assets previously owned by Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria which are currently under Anidaport’s management.
- Assisting several foreign investors regarding the submission of golden visa applications.
Offering wide national coverage, PRA-Raposo, Sá Miranda & Associados, Sociedade de Advogados SP RL's service offering covers real estate transactions, due diligence, management of real estate assets and litigation, among other areas. The department shows particular strength in the establishment of special vehicles for real estate investments, and is also adept at assisting with financing and construction matters across sectors such as tourism, hospitality and leisure. Catarina Costa Lopes leads the department, and stands out for her extensive expertise in all aspects pertaining to property investment deals and contentious matters.
Catarina Costa Lopes
‘Promptness, availability and understanding of clients’ needs are some of the strengths of team.‘
Novimovest – Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário
Destino Final – Imobiliária, Lda.
Fundo de Pensões do Banco Santander Totta
Paradise Pyramid Lda.
Sígnia – Gestão Imobiliária, S.A.
BNX – Investimentos Unipessoal LDA
Turismo Sintra Litoral, S.A.
Liberdade XXI – Soluções Empresariais, Unipessoal, LDA
FirstSquare, Mediação Imobiliária, Sociedade Unipessoal LDA
- Assisted Novimovest- Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário, one of the leading Portuguese real estate investment funds, on the purchase and sale of a range of commercial properties in urban and rural areas in Portugal.
- Advised Safre Capital on the acquisition of two properties in Lisbon, one of which was intended for re-sale and the other to be submitted to a licensing process for the construction of a residential building.
- Advised Agro – Pecuária do Rio Arade on the construction of a 4-Star hotel located in the region of Lagoa located in the Algarve.
Raposo Bernardo handles a range of real estate transactional work, including property acquisitions, financing matters, as well as project development and litigation, among others. The real estate and construction department is led by Manuel Esteves Albuquerque, who also demonstrates experience in the structuring of investment vehicles.
Manuel Esteves Albuquerque; Serena Argente Escartín
‘The quality of the legal support that Raposo Bernardo & Associados provides is top notch. It stands out for its legal rigor, attention to detail, extensive experience, and the value added to our business.‘
‘Raposo Bernardo & Associados gives us absolute assurance of top legal advice.‘
‘Manuel Albuquerque is experienced, persistent, dedicated and has a strong mastery of commercial leasing practices.‘
‘Manuel Esteves de Albuquerque is a partner at Raposo Bernardo & Associados and a highly regarded lawyer, very experienced in real estate and construction, knowledgeable of the sector, and shows great availability and work capacity.‘
- Providing full legal support to a client in the setting up of a project for the development of a touristic real estate project.
- Advising a client on all of its real estate operations in Algarve, including the promotion of luxury projects.
- Advising a client on a real estate property acquisition in Lagos (Algarve) through an investment fund.
RRP Advogados' real estate team provides legal support in a range of investment deals in relation to project developments for tourism, retail, industrial and residential purposes. The team is experienced in sale and leaseback transactions, as well as real estate finance; its lawyers' cross-practice expertise also encompasses tax matters. Ricardo Reigada Pereira, who advises clients throughout the entire life-cycle of projects, oversees the department.
Ricardo Reigada Pereira
‘In terms of quality, we rate the firm and team very highly, both from a professional point of view (real estate and construction) and from a work attitude perspective.‘
‘Apart from their high professional standard and quality, the team is enthusiastic, demonstrates high working efficiency, clear communication and can cover other necessary work streams in-house such as finance-related advice and corporate matters.’
‘Highly professional and very experienced.‘
‘Professionalism and willingness to serve to the best interests of the client. The team is focused, competent, able to work under tight schedules and provides clear and comprehensive service.‘
‘We value the team’s strong and smart negotiation skills which help to close agreements also when situations are difficult.‘
‘Diversified law firm with large real estate knowledge.‘
‘Ricardo Reigada Pereira is trustworthy and knowledgeable. He is a very good negotiator and mediator.‘
‘Rita Nunes stands out for her great knowledge and experience in the real estate market. She pays close attention to clients’ needs.’
‘Individuals provide a true client experience based on transparency.‘
‘Manuel Cordeiro, José Henriques and Rita Carvalho Nunes are very professional and available.‘
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Accor Hotels Group
AEW Europe City Retail Fund
AM alpha Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft
The Navigator Company
- Advised AEW Europe City Retail Fund on the acquisition of seven prime high street retail assets from Prowinko.
- Assisting AM alpha, in partnership with German fund Nordrheinische Ärzteversorgung, in the acquisition by means of a share deal of a retail park in Greater Lisbon, known as BPlanet.
- Advising Coporgest on the conversion of its wholly-owned subsidiary Imopatrimónio into a real estate investment company.
Developing corporate frameworks to suit particular real estate investment transactions is one of Sérvulo & Associados' core strengths. The team is adept at handling different types of real estate purchase, sale and leasing agreements, as well as undertaking due diligence and assisting on the financing and refinancing operations of projects, such as tourism resorts, retail and shopping centres. Practice head Manuel Magalhães counts real estate, tourism, banking and corporate law among his areas of expertise; Sofia Thibaut Trocado and Inês Palma Ramalho stand out for their experience in real estate finance.
‘Availability, service and in-depth knowledge of town planning, real estate acquisitions and sales, leasing matters and property development.‘
‘Every time I’m impressed at how fast and accurately they come up with solutions/ answers.‘
‘Manuel Magalhães heads a strong team.‘
‘Inês Palma Ramalho is always available for a quick phone call, replies fast to emails and is a true problem solver. She has excellent knowledge of the law across several areas and that makes her stand out.‘
‘Eduardo Gonçalves Rodrigues has expertise in law and architecture and is an amazing force within the team.‘
‘Joana Pinto Monteiro is technically excellent in real estate matters.‘
Interfundos – Gestão de Fundos de Investimento Imobiliário, S.A.
NALM – National Asset Loan Management, DAC
AF Portfolio Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário Fechado
MULTIUSOS Oriente – Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário Fechado
Banco Comercial Português, S.A. / Millennium BCP
Fundo Especial de Investimento Imobiliário TDF
MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT AND COMMUNICATION OF MOZAMBIQUE
Alma Vida, S.A.
José Eduardo Nicolau
Riverfront – Empreendimentos Turísticos, S.A.
- Advising NALM- National Asset Loan Management, DAC in the structuring of the sale of investment units in a closed-end property investment fund and of shares in a company in the real estate and golf sector.
- Assistance to Millennium BCP within the scope of several real estate projects, notably with due diligence processes, in order to prepare a legal and technical file to allow the sale of the developments to third parties.
- Advised Fundo Especial de Investimento Imobiliário TDF in the development of the project One Living, Cascais, with more than 80 luxury real estate units.