Real estate and construction in Portugal
Cuatrecasas offers the gamut of real estate services, encompassing transactional, financing, construction and development matters. The sizeable department works in close collaboration with the firm's other offices and practices, providing comprehensive advice to institutional investors, international funds and emerging players in the market. It is a go-to destination for high-value real estate asset and share deals, showcasing a strong background in the disposal of large REO portfolios. Practice head Nuno Sá Carvalho, whose foreign expertise is noteworthy, has been active advising on significant transactions involving hotels, shopping centres, retail and logistics parks, as well as on the development of residential and tourism projects. He receives key support from recently promoted partner Sara Quaresma, who excels in construction, regeneration and licensing mandates.
Nuno Sá Carvalho
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is recommended for its technical quality, credibility and availability. It has had a very active participation in the real estate market in recent years, having been present in large transactions in several sectors acting for important player.’
‘ Of the real estate team, I would highlight Nuno Sá Carvalho. In addition to his technical capabilities, he has a strong track record in relevant operations and is today a reference in the market.’
‘The team adapts very well to the needs of companies. Availability, rigor and technical competence are some of its qualities.’
‘ Cuatrecasas stands out for its professionalism and client service. The Real Estate and Construction team is competent and accessible.’
‘I recommend Nuno Sá Carvalho, whose extremely high professional skills are only surpassed by his personal qualities.’
‘Sara Quaresma – as our main contact partner she is our rock in moving into a country which we absolutely had no experience in, where we had to acquaint ourselves with all of the local laws and regulations and do so in a quick manner to be able to invest. She and the team advised us and guided us, which allowed us to make great deals and do so with confidence. This was down to the legal brilliance and the operational excellence of the entire team led by Sara.’
‘Sara Quaresma stands out for her availability, mastery of the law, and client care skills.’
APCO – Investimentos e Empreendimentos Imobiliário
Prédio do Lado Investimentos Imobiliários
- Advising Apollo Asset Management on the acquisition of a real estate portfolio of commercial, residential and retail properties, comprising more than 271 buildings properties (Project Golden).
- Assisting Zurich Group in the negotiation and drafting of several real estate investments and disinvestment transactions (commercial and residential properties) in Lisbon, as well as ongoing management of Zurich’s properties in Portugal.
- Advising Baupost/Eurofunf management company in all real estate matters related with the redevelopment of Dolce Vita Tejo Shopping Centre, acquired by AXA Investment Managers.
Garrigues is among the top firms in Portugal for real estate and construction matters, having taken on leading roles in a number of recent investment and financing deals in the country. The team, which predominantly acts on behalf of asset managers, funds and international investors, also counts development among its areas of expertise. The full range of real estate services - covering tourism, residential and commercial property - are provided by the team, which is led by Jorge Salvador Gonçalves, who has a wealth of experience in large-scale transactions involving real estate assets. Miguel Menezes da Silva, who was recently promoted to the partnership, is noted for his M&A and commercial skills. Mónica Pimenta also handles transactional work in the real estate sector.
Jorge Salvador Gonçalves
Other key lawyers:
Miguel Menezes da Silva; Mónica Pimenta; Tânia Gomes
‘Very good oral and written communication with the client in a context of different countries and languages accuracy of analysis of risk capacity to find appropriate solutions.’
‘Miguel Menezes Silva has an exceptional capacity to think as an investor.’
‘Excellent knowledge and capacity to understand client’s issues on a pan European level.’
‘Very dynamic, diligent and proactive team. Based on experience, they offer robust contractual solutions and shorten contract negotiation terms with counterparties.’
‘Miguel Menezes Silva is very dynamic and has great negotiating skills.’
‘Their strength is their ability to gather the necessary task force around a client so as to apprehend all aspects of a given transaction and not only the specific specialty of a partner. They centralise the information and therefore have a good knowledge of their client’s need. Being able to rely that much on your lawyers enables you to concentrate on the deal. ’
‘Miguel Menezes Silva is very professional. He is very technical but makes the matter understandable. He also has a very practical approach.’
‘Jorge Salvador Gonçalves stands out for his availability, and excellent network of contacts.’
AXA IM Real Assets
Harbert Management Corporation
Merlin Properties SOCIMI
Swiss Life REIM
Tander Inversiones SOCIMI
- Advising a pool of funds managed by AXA IM Real Assets on the acquisition from Apollo of a residential portfolio composed of 55 properties located in Portugal.
- Assisting a fund managed by Harbert Management Corporation in the €170m acquisition of a portfolio of shopping centres from the Sierra Portugal Fund.
- Advising the Novo Banco Group (GNR Real Estate) on the sale of a REO portfolio composed of more than 1,300 properties located in Portugal, to Cerberus Capital Management.
Morais Leitão, Galvão Teles, Soares da Silva & Associados stands out for its impressive track record in real estate transactional work, namely share and asset deals. Of particular note, the team has been involved in some of the largest REO transactions taking place in the Portuguese market; other typical mandates include the financing of real estate projects, leasing, rehabilitation issues and sale and leaseback transactions. Apart from advising on office buildings, hotels, residential, industrial and commercial property, the team is also equipped to assist with matters involving emerging sectors, such as student housing. João Torroaes Valente is sought after by domestic and foreign investors seeking support in corporate real estate deals and development. Filipa Arantes Pedroso is counsel of choice for a number of real estate management companies and funds, while Rita Ferreira Vicente focuses on financing and NPL transactions.
João Torroaes Valente
Other key lawyers:
Filipa Arantes Pedroso; Rita Ferreira Vicente; Andreia Bento Simões; João Fitas; Manuel Ponces Magalhães
‘Morais Leitão provides high-quality services, not only in the area of real estate and construction, but in adjacent and relevant fields in the scope of transactions, such as corporate and tax.’
‘João Torroães Valente is a lawyer with a lot of negotiation experience and who defends the interests of clients very well. He is available and responds within the appropriate deadlines. He is respected by his peers, which is important in a transactional context.’
‘João Fitas is a competent and reliable lawyer, who studies matters in detail and conveys a lot of confidence to clients. In addition to his involvement in transactions, he has experience in non-transactional real estate, in project monitoring, something that is very important in a real estate lawyer.’
‘The whole team has been exemplary and dedicated: João Torroaes Valente, Andreia Bento Simões and Manuel Ponces Magalhães are recommended.’
‘The firm is very client-oriented.’
The real estate team at PLMJ is adept at assisting domestic and foreign clients in relation to their real estate projects in Portugal and abroad. Its broad service offering covers the gamut of real estate transactional, construction and development work. On the transactional side, the firm has been using AI tools to enhance its ability to analyse large portfolios of real estate assets and related documents. The team recently witnessed a change in leadership: it is now overseen by Rita Alarcão Júdice, who has extensive experience in sale and leaseback transactions involving shopping centres, offices buildings and hotels, and Francisco Lino Dias, who is a key point of contact for international clients, notably developers and investment funds. Other key individuals include Sofia Gomes da Costa, who is noted for her expertise in asset management of large property portfolios, tourism law specialist Margarida Osório de Amorim and managing associate Abel de Barbosa Mendonça.
Rita Alarcão Júdice; Francisco Lino Dias
Other key lawyers:
Sofia Gomes da Costa; Margarida Osório de Amorim; Abel de Barbosa Mendonça
‘We have used PLMJ in several complex transactions, always with excellent results. As one of the leading firms in Portugal, they have demonstrated a superior ability to bring together their corporate, tax and urban planning practices effectively to offer comprehensive solutions.’
‘In-depth knowledge of the real estate market; ability to respond directly and objectively to the questions asked; practical and pragmatic sense aligned with the client’s needs; unsurpassed team availability.’
‘Francisco Lino Dias stands out for his availability, responsiveness and analysis of different issues, presenting legal approaches and solutions that have translated into successful operations. Abel Barbosa Mendonça is also recommended.’
‘I was greatly impressed by the professionalism of Margarida Osório de Amorim.’
‘We worked with Francisco Lino Dias and Abel de Barbosa Mendonca. They were an excellent team and worked very well together. They were both fully up to speed on all aspects of the transaction. The team was well-versed in the subject matter, very commercial and extremely easy to deal with- we were able to contact them at all hours and they were extremely responsive throughout. ’
‘Francisco Lino Dias offered creative solutions to our problems. He was strong throughout. Abel de Barbosa Mendonça was the “engine” driving the PLMJ team. Extremely bright and hard-working, he was also extremely direct in his advice and guidance.’
‘The team demonstrates professionalism in all aspects. Lawyers possess solid technical knowledge. Their advice is always practical and results-oriented. I am particularly grateful for Rita Alarcão Júdice.’
‘Rita Alarcão Júdice brings together a distinct set of knowledge and professional experience. Rita has an excellent ability to express herself with clarity and precision, and is assertive in exposing and defending her ideas.’
Time Out Markets
Crédit Agricole Lisbon I.T. Centre
MEAG MUNICH ERGO Kapitalanlagegesellschaft mbH
Martinhal Resorts Group
TAP Air Portugal
United Investments Portugal
UBS Real Estate GmbH
Invesco Real Estate
Incus Capital Advisers
Universidade Nova de Lisboa
- Advising Universidade Nova de Lisboa and the AHED Association on the development of the new campus in Carcavelos, Cascais, of Nova Medical School for advanced health education in medicine.
- Assisted Incus Capital in the disposal of a large retail portfolio.
- Advised Nestlé Portugal on the sale and leaseback of the client’s headquarters in Portugal to a company belonging to the Merlin group.
With extensive experience across the entire spectrum of real estate mandates, Uría Menéndez – Proença Carvalho is skilled in M&A, financing transactions, and development of real estate projects. Bringing together cross-practice expertise, the team is particularly active in share deals and the sale and purchase of REO portfolios. Also noteworthy are its broad capabilities in insolvency matters involving real estate and tourism developers, and its proficiency in urban planning and environmental licensing issues. Duarte Garin is regularly retained to advise on transactions of mortgage-backed loan portfolios, while Rita Xavier de Brito is a name to note for acquisition finance and development matters. Both practitioners head the department, which also includes Francisco da Cunha Ferreira.
Duarte Garin; Rita Xavier de Brito
Other key lawyers:
Francisco da Cunha Ferreira; Gonçalo Reino Pires; Alexandre Pedral Sampaio
Allianz Real Estate
Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Tristan Capital Partners
Banco Santander Totta, S.A.
Totta Urbe – Empresa de Administração e Construções, S.A.
- Assisted Allianz Finance IX Luxembourg and Elo Mutual Pension Insurance Company in the creation, together with Sonae Sierra and APG, of a new strategic joint venture (Sierra Prime), which holds a stake in six flagship Iberian shopping centres.
- Acted for Tristan Capital Partners in the acquisition of a portfolio of seven office buildings located in Lisbon and Oeiras from closed-end real estate fund Vision Escritórios – FIIF.
- Assisted Rivercrown Group in the acquisition of the majority of the investment units in the real estate fund Maxirent – Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário.
VdA stands out for its wealth of experience in real estate development; in addition, the team has equal strength in real estate financing and investment. The practice group is led by Pedro Ferreirinha, who is skilled across the entire range of real estate matters, notably those involving sale and leaseback transactions, land use issues, financing and investment funds. His extensive experience in the field covers hotels, offices, residential and commercial projects, as well as cross-border deals taking place in Angola. Real estate and urban planning expert Miguel Marques dos Santos is also part of the core team. Pedro Pereira Coutinho excels in real estate projects pertaining to the hospitality and leisure sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Miguel Marques dos Santos; Pedro Pereira Coutinho; Pedro Corrêa d’Oliveira
‘Pedro Pereira Coutinho and his team are our go-to choice in Portugal as they understand in depth the issues relating to Hospitality real estate and provide concise and relevant advice for each of our transactions. They are proactive and will raise, discuss and resolve issues taking into account our fundamental business needs.’
‘ Pedro Pereira Coutinho is very good at discussing and resolving local legal issues with opposing local counsel so as to facilitate our transactional process. He is also very knowledgeable of many of the facets of our business, which is not always the case for the hospitality industry.’
- Assisted Group Claude Berda, operating in Portugal under the brand Vanguard Properties, in the acquisition of two real estate properties to be turned into two high-end tourism, residential, golf and leisure developments.
- Advised AGEAS on the acquisition of the Expo Tower building, a fully leased office building located in Lisbon, Parque das Nações.
- Assisting Vanguard Properties (Group Claude Berda) in the acquisition and development of a portfolio of properties (residential and hospitality), including Castilho 203, a luxury residential urban development in Lisbon.
The real estate team at Abreu Advogados is regularly instructed by some of the leading developers and investors in Portugal. The full-service offering not only covers transactions and development issues, but also includes a notary and registration department that streamlines the formalisation process of sales, mortgages and horizontal property deeds. Under the joint leadership of Patrícia Viana and Rui Peixoto Duarte, the group is noted for its track record in assisting REITs and international investors in real estate transactions involving the acquisition and disposal of shopping centres. Renata Silva Alves is another noteworthy practitioner in the real estate and construction team, which was recently strengthened further by the arrival of Tiago Mendonça de Castro.
Rui Peixoto Duarte; Patrícia Viana
Other key lawyers:
Renata Silva Alves; Maria Cabral de Azevedo; Tiago Mendonça de Castro
Daimler Real Estate
Henley & Partners
Savory & Partners
- Advised FREY on the acquisition of Algarve Shopping & Albufeira Retail Park, one of the main shopping centres in the Algarve region, from IberiaCoop, a fund managed by CBRE GIP and Sonae Sierra.
- Assisted RPPSE FORUM VISEU – SOCIEDADE IMOBILIÁRIA in the sale of the Forum Viseu shopping centre to CA PATRIMÓNIO CRESCENTE, FUNDO DE INVESTIMENTO IMOBILIÁRIO ABERTO.
- Assisted Investment Fund IMOTUR Fundo Especial de Investimento Imobiliário Fechado in the acquisition of real estate investment fund IMOTUR Fundo Especial de Investimento Imobiliário Fechado.
pbbr - Sociedade de Advogados RL handles a variety of real estate, construction and urban planning mandates, ranging from property finance to project development, licensing issues and investments. The team offers advice to institutional investors, constructors and financial institutions, and is well versed in all types of real estate contracts. Department head Pedro Pinto has over two decades of experience in the sector. Teresa Freire advises on all aspects of real estate, construction and related tax implications.
Other key lawyers:
Teresa Freire; Tânia Ferreira Osório; Isabel Brazão de Castro
Cushman & Wakefield
GMG – Geneva Management Group
Keys Asset Management
Signal Capital Partners LLP
Europe Hotels Private Collection
- Assisted MDSR Investment in the financing and acquisition of the shopping centre Nova Arcada in Braga.
- Advised Signal Capital Partners on the acquisition of a portfolio of office buildings in Office Park Quinta da Fonte.
- Assisted Keys Asset Management in the restructuring of multifunctional project LX Factory (offices, commerce and leisure) in the centre of Lisbon.
Sofia Galvao Advogados is a boutique firm entirely devoted to real estate and planning law. The team is increasingly retained by significant institutional investors looking for development opportunities in the real estate sector. Founding partner Sofia Galvão is a reference in the market; tourism, construction, planning and real estate transactions are among her areas of expertise. Hugo Nunes, who is a key point of contact for real estate work, also has a strong background in litigation.
Sofia Galvão; Hugo Nunes
‘The team demonstrates great cohesion, has constant availability and is easily contactable, possessing great academic knowledge of real estate and construction. We highlight Hugo Nunes, for his resilience and academic knowledge, combined with excellent performance in court. Sofia Galvão also has a great deal of knowledge about the players in the field, mastering the academic subjects necessary to deal with these issues.’
‘The best specialists in the Real Estate and Construction market. The team’s deep legal knowledge allows for enormous security in the implementation of strategies.’
‘Recognised as the best team in Portugal.’
‘Hugo and Sofia are real specialists. They’re available, quick on their feet and reliable. They’re also very well respected by their peers. ’
‘Small but highly specialised team that is very competent in solving complex problems. It has a pragmatic approach to problems and develops a long-term strategy for solving issues.’
Discovery Land Company
El Corte Inglès
Auchan Portugal Hipermercados
Groupe Jean Turon
- Advising Novo Banco on a project for the construction of a major development in the centre of Lisbon (Artilharia 1).
- Assisting Discovery Land Company in the acquisition and development of a prime-location allotment for the purpose of construction of a high-end residential property and resort development.
- Assisted Bravo Investments (COSEC) in the acquisition of an office building in Lisbon’s business district.
DLA Piper ABBC undertakes a range of work in the real estate sector, demonstrating particular proficiency in advising foreign investors on real estate transactions in Portugal. Practice head Luis Filipe Carvalho not only assists with domestic deals, but is also skilled in cross-border matters, being especially active in Angola. The team's client roster includes several real estate consultancy firms and fund managers that recurrently seek advice on asset management, leasing agreements and development. Paulo Anjo is another noteworthy practitioner.
Luís Filipe Carvalho
Other key lawyers:
Paulo Anjo; Inês Melo dos Santos
‘High knowledge of the real estate market and the interaction between its various players; ability to anticipate adverse legal contexts for the client; Ease of communication and availability of the team at all levels.’
‘DLA Piper is extremely experienced in real estate projects, ranging from land acquisition to project development, construction and subsequent or prior lease, including urban planning.’
‘Paulo Anjo was very responsive and kept things very straightforward for me as a non-Portuguese instructing in-house counsel.’
‘Luís Filipe de Carvalho stands out for his objectivity, speed and commitment to finding legal solutions suited to each of our diverse needs. Paulo Anjo is committed to solving all legal issues throughout the processes.’
‘DLA has in-house tax advisors which comes handy in relation to real estate transactions. Also what makes DLA unique, is that the firm has a great resource tool for global real estate matters: https://www.dlapiperrealworld.com/.’
EDP Real Estate
Corum Asset Management
Estoril Capital Partners
- Advised Brifina on the project of a new retail park in Cascais / Estoril; the Forum Estoril.
- Assisted Estoril Capital Partners (Oaktree Group) in the due diligence and transaction of five land plots in Lisbon (Lumiar).
- Advised PROMOQUALI on a fully integrated build-to-suit transaction.
FCB Advogados' broad service offering encompasses real estate transactions (financing, leasing, sales and acquisitions) and development projects involving commercial and residential property. The team stands out for its in-depth knowledge of the tourism and agricultural sectors. The latter is an area of focus for Miguel Castelo Branco; he jointly leads the team with Rodrigo Almeida Dias, who is regularly retained by foreign developers, and Miguel Lorena Brito, whose areas of activity include construction, licensing and urban planning.
Miguel Castelo Branco; Miguel Lorena Brito; Rodrigo Almeida Dias
‘Lawyers are always very patient and understand our questions and what we expect. Their answers are very clear and when needed, illustrated by an example.’
Quinta da Marinha – Palace Hotel, S.A.
Charm & More – Hotels Resorts
Route One Investment Company
Jordan Park Group LLC
Saint-Léger – Hotel das Amoreiras
- Advised Urbansymbiosis on the due diligence for the acquisition of several residential units in two larger renovation projects in the historic centre of Lisbon.
- Assisted Regus / IWG Group with due diligence, and negotiating all transaction documents, including lease agreements, concerning the opening of co-working facilities in Lisbon and Porto, as well as the expansion of existing facilities in Braga.
- Assisted Quinta da Marinha – Palace Hotel in the negotiation of agreements and in the sale of an 18th century palace located in downtown Lisbon.
With broad geographical reach, Linklaters assists property developers and investors in the full range of real estate matters in Portugal and abroad. The team is particularly active in corporate real estate transactions (including portfolio deals), often advising clients on investment vehicles, associated financing and tax matters. It has the capacity to offer seamless cross-practice advice covering regulatory issues, urban planning and litigation, drawing upon its interaction with other firm-wide departments. Diogo Plantier Santos excels in real estate M&A. Evo Fernandes is noted for his experience in transactions involving real estate assets used for tourism, office and retail purposes.
Diogo Plantier Santos
Other key lawyers:
‘Dynamic team with great client service. Excellent collaboration with the dispute resolution practice to advise on contentious issues.’
‘I cannot fail to highlight Evo Fernandes. He is endowed with an above average technical capacity and always available.’
‘Evo Fernandes is a good professional with solid technical preparation. He is actively involved in matters, and is always available.’
‘The law firm has been following all matters with absolute dedication and availability. The multi-disciplinary team and attention to detail has brought evident gains in the work produced so far.’
Värde Partners Europe Limited
Novo Banco, S.A.
Profile – Sociedade Gestora de Fundos de Investimento Mobiliário S.A.
- Acted for Deka, Patrizia and Sonae Sierra in the sale of LoureShopping – Centro Comercial, Rio Sul – Centro Comercial and 8ª Avenida – Centro Comercial to funds managed by Harbert Management Corporation.
- Advised DWS on the sale of the Office Oriente building in Lisbon to Generali.
- Assisted Luz Saúde (owned by Fosun group) in the transfer of Hospital do Mar Gaia, a hospital where geriatric specialised services are provided, to a Portuguese buyer.
Real estate is a mainstay at RRP Advogados, which has built a solid transactional track record in the sector. Besides assisting international and domestic clients on their investments, the team is adept at handling all of the aspects of project development. It, therefore, advises on construction contracts, sale and leaseback transactions as well as real estate use agreements. Ricardo Reigada Pereira, who has a background in tax issues, oversees the team, which also includes José Henriques.
Ricardo Reigada Pereira
Other key lawyers:
José Henriques; Hélder Santos Correia
Aberdeen Standard Investments
AEW Europe City Retail Fund
AM alpha Kapitalverwaltungsgesellschaft
Medical Properties Trust
- Advised Mitiska REIM (acting through the institutional fund named First Retail International 2 NV) on the acquisition, by means of a share deal, of a retail park portfolio owned by Blackstone.
- Assisted Medical Properties Trust in the acquisition of a healthcare facility complex – which is where the José de Mello Group’s CUF Viseu Hospital is located, as well as three other medical clinics.
- Assisting Krest Real Estate in the development and promotion of a new office building, K-Tower, in Lisbon, as well as in the group’s residential projects in Miraflores.
The multi-disciplinary team at Sérvulo & Associados possesses specialist knowledge of real estate, urban planning and tourism law. It is engaged by leading real estate companies and investment funds on a range of high-end real estate transactions, financing matters, and planning and licensing procedures of commercial and tourism projects. Manuel Magalhães leads the practice, which also includes Sofia Thibaut Trocado, who is the name to note for real estate finance and the incorporation of real estate investment funds, and Joana Pinto Monteiro.
Other key lawyers:
Eduardo Gonçalves Rodrigues; Sofia Thibaut Trocado; Carla Parreira Leandro; Joana Pinto Monteiro
‘The team was very quick to fulfil our requests and gave us very important and useful law-related advice.’
‘Always available and great capacity under pressure.’
‘As a foreigner you are not familiar with local laws and customs. Then it is important to be able to count on a reliable partner who provides you with clear and complete information and who is available at critical moments with not only expert advice, but also takes a pragmatic approach. Sofia Thibaut meets these requirements in every respect.’
‘The quality I value the most was the reactivity and the fact that they listen to the client. They understand the point of view of clients and at the same time protect them.’
‘Despite being a larger firm, there is an air of informality which is beneficial for the client. It simplifies communication and makes for rapid processing.’
‘Joana Pinto Monteiro is outstanding’.
Interfundos – Sociedade Gestora de Organismos de Investimento Coletivo, S.A.
AF Portfolio Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário Aberto
MULTIUSOS Oriente – Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário Fechado
Banco Comercial Português, S.A.
Fundo Especial de Investimento Imobiliário TDF
Alma Vida, S.A.
NALM – National Asset Loan Management, DAC
Travessa Fresca, Investimentos Unipessoal, Lda.
Riverfront – Empreendimentos Turísticos, S.A.
Imotur – Fundo Especial de Investimento Imobiliário
- Assisted Imotur and its participants in an acquisition of several units in Rua Alexandre Herculano 50, Lisbon.
- Advised Fundo TDF on the implementation of the development Fábrica 1921 in Benfica.
- Advised Fund AF Portfolio Imobiliário on the adjustment of massive lease agreements to the Covid-19 special legislation published between March and July 2020.
SRS Advogados fields a multi-disciplinary team that brings together partners of other departments who are actively involved in real estate matters. The team, which has recently seen an uptick in transactional mandates, provides advice on investment funds, financing, planning law, tax matters and lease-related litigation. Furthermore, it offers a hotel, leisure and tourism service to clients operating in this segment of the real estate market; wealth management and golden visa legal support are also provided by the team. Neuza Pereira de Campos specialises in real estate investments, while also showcasing thorough knowledge of lease agreements for commercial purposes.
Neuza Pereira de Campos; William Smithson
‘All the lawyers in the team were extremely helpful and very professional.‘
‘Timely responses, high level of technical expertise and an extraordinary industry knowledge; the strength-in-depth of SRS team and value for money are also main factors of choice and excellency.’
‘Neuza Pereira de Campos is a very sharp lawyer with a keen eye for client’s needs and business.’
‘The team is highly skilled and efficient. Their responsiveness to clients’ requests is unmatched.’
‘Neuza Pereira de Campos has a quick understanding of the client’s needs, is outstandingly swift in her response to any real estate matter, and is highly efficient as a result.’
M7 Real Estate
- Advising M7 Real Estate on the acquisition of several real estate assets, including retail parks, office buildings, warehouses, industrial parks, etc.
- Advising Rabobank on the sale of hotels under construction leased to Hotusa, to Swiss Life.
The real estate and construction group at CCA Law Firm has extensive experience in tourism and retail projects, advising on the entire spectrum of real estate transactions involving plots, urban or mixed-use properties. Other areas of activity include construction licensing procedures and lease agreements. A golden visa support service is also offered by the firm, which is also frequently instructed by several players in the short-term rental market. Madalena Azeredo Perdigão and Tomás Assis Teixeira jointly oversee the department.
Madalena de Azeredo Perdigão; Tomás Assis Teixeira
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has extensive experience in real estate transactions.’
Feels like home
Global Citizen solutions
- Providing APWireless with daily assistance in due diligence procedures (for properties and lease agreements with telecoms operators) and in subsequent real estate transactions.
- Responsible for the management of Finsolutia’s real estate portfolio, providing support in the acquisition of new properties, building works, tenant management and the negotiation of lease contracts.
- Assisted IMOFID – managed by Fidelidade – Sociedade Gestora de Organismos de Investimento Imobiliário with the due diligence and the sale and leaseback agreement of a property.
The department at CTSU - Sociedade de Advogados, S.P., R.L., S.A. is equipped to assist clients in a variety of real estate mandates, including construction, rehabilitation and leasing agreements. The team is particularly noted for advising on matters pertaining to real estate investment funds and tourism projects. Co-head João Pinheiro da Silva has significant experience in acting for domestic and foreign investors on the purchase and sale of real estate assets, lease contracts and commercial licensing. Real estate finance is another area of activity.
Miguel Ribeiro Telles; João Pinheiro da Silva
Other key lawyers:
Sandra Teixeira Arsénio
‘Their vision towards the future, combined with their efficiency in solving problems, make CTSU an indispensable resource in the monitoring of any legal issue that we face. Innovation and rigor have always been evident elements in all services provided within the scope of our real estate investments.’
‘CTSU stands out, from the outset, for the multidisciplinary with which it approaches its legal practice. This is only possible due to CTSU’s ambition to always be at the forefront of technological advances, constantly improving the efficiency and quality of the legal assistance provided.’
‘The entire real estate team stands out for its quality, dedication, organisation and availability. However, it is necessary to highlight the leadership of the partner responsible for the real estate department, João Pinheiro da Silva, for his knowledge and monitoring of the market in question, in addition to his technical know-how and ability to anticipate our needs. Sandra Teixeira Arsénio is recommended for her technical capacity and experience already accumulated in the real estate industry.’
‘The CTSU team always shows skills in a great diversity of subjects.’
‘João Pinheiro da Silva and his team are naturally the most outstanding and their recognition in the market is fully deserved.’
‘Rigorous, pragmatic, accessible and efficient team.’
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
The real estate practice at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo provides ongoing advice to a diverse client roster on real estate assets, compliance and corporate matters. The team has wide-ranging expertise in all segments of the sector, including tourism, commercial and retail projects. Sofia Rodrigues Nunes oversees the department, which also includes José Manuel Silva Nunes.
Sofia Rodrigues Nunes
Other key lawyers:
José Manuel Silva Nunes
Anidaport – Investimentos Imobiliários, Unipessoal Lda.
BBVA, S.A. (Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, S.A.)
KIG Portugal, Lda.
KIG Touristic Developments, Unipessoal Lda.
Distrikt Homes, Unipessoal Lda.
KIG XXI, Unipessoal Lda.
Palmares – Companhia de Empreendimentos Turísticos de Lagos, S.A
Dragon Method, S.A.
- Advised Treasure Scale on the negotiation of agreements with tenants of several units of a real estate property located in a prime area of Lisbon.
- Continues to assist Anidaport on the daily real estate issues associated to all the real estate assets previously owned by Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria.
- Provided legal assistance to KIG Portugal (SPV of Kronos Investment Group) in the daily issues related to real estate assets, compliance procedures and related corporate matters.
PRA-Raposo, Sá Miranda & Associados, Sociedade de Advogados RL's real estate and investment special vehicles practice offers comprehensive services to institutional investors, developers and investment funds. With a network of offices across the country, the team is knowledgeable in all types of property licensing and regulation, and is equipped to handle real estate transactions and litigation. Catarina Costa Lopes, who is seasoned in transactional and contentious work, oversees the national group.
Catarina Costa Lopes
Other key lawyers:
Novimovest – Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário
Destino Final – Imobiliária, Lda.
Fundo de Pensões do Banco Santander Totta
Paradise Pyramid – Lda.
Sígnia – Gestão Imobiliária, S.A.
Encosta da Parede – Projectos Imobiliários e Turísticos, S.A.
Turismo Sintra Litoral, S.A.
Marec Imob .
Lusimovest – Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário
Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário Fundimo
Sport Iberica – Sociedade de Artigos de Desporto, S.A
Diocese do Porto
Ecclesialis – Gestão Diocesana Unipessoal, Lda.
Sonae Capital, SGPS, SA
IMMOPO – Gestão de Projetos Imobiliários, Unipessoal, Lda
MDS – Corretor de Seguros, S.A.
Cordeiro & Viveiros, Lda
- Assisted Novimovest – Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário, one of the leading Portuguese real estate investment funds, on the purchase and sale of commercial properties in urban and rural areas in Portugal.
- Advising Agro – Pecuária do Rio Arade on the construction of a 4-star hotel located in the region of Lagoa in the Algarve.
- Advised Turismo Sintra Litoral on the licensing of the Praia resort and on its preliminary information requests to expand and alter the tourist development to the classification of a 4-star hotel-apartment.
Raposo Bernardo advises a range of clients, notably real estate agents and investment funds, on sector-related transactions. The team is well versed in the purchase and sale of real estate assets involving offices, hotels and industrial property. Leading the department is Manuel Esteves Albuquerque, who has a good track record in real estate and construction mandates in Portugal and abroad.
Manuel Esteves Albuquerque
‘Raposo Bernardo & Associados stands out for its proximity and availability and for the diversity of areas in which it specialises. We are very satisfied with the high quality service they provide us over the years and we intend to continue to count on this team with whom we have a fantastic relationship.’
‘Manuel Albuquerque is a very methodical lawyer who addresses every detail. It is very easy to work with this lawyer, who gives us great confidence both in the analysis of our matters and in the arguments at contract negotiation meetings.’
‘The quality of the advice is impeccable, having never been in a situation where the best solution has not been reached, whether in terms of investment / acquisition, or sale.’
‘Manuel Esteves de Albuquerque maintains a record of excellence in the analysis of legal issues, producing very complete opinions that point out the optimal solution for each case.’
‘Raposo Bernardo has the ability to solve unusual problems and are always very available. They stand out from other law firms that work in the sector for the quality of the services they provide and for the way they work in all the work we request.’
‘Manuel Esteves commands a great team and is an expert on the legislation applicable to our sector of activity.’
‘Manuel Albuquerque leads a department with a dedicated and very competent team, which provides the highest quality of services. What sets them apart is the impeccable legal preparation to address each issue.’
‘Lawyers are specialists in all aspects of commercial property, construction and procurement, development, property litigation and estate management, which is excellent. It is so easy to talk with them since they speak the same language.’