Del Rosario & Del Rosario acts for multinational shipping clients on controversies involving labour, personal injury, and vessel arrests as well as ship finance, sale, and purchase documentation. The firm has extensive experience advising ship owners on sinking and wreck removal following natural disasters such as typhoon Quinta which caused the destruction of MV St. Nuriel and St. Dominic. The team advised on various liability and wreck removal issues arising from the sinking of the two vessels in the vicinity of a private port in Batangas. Arturo Del Rosario co-manages the practice with Ruben Del Rosario who specialises in maritime law and is the former charter president of the Philippine Maritime Voluntary Arbitrators Association. Joseph Rebano is another notable name.
Shipping in Philippines
Other key lawyers:
- Advised MV Vienna Wood N and its insurers, handled administrative investigation and criminal prosecutions of all crew members and negotiated settlement with colliding vessel and heirs of missing 16 Filipino fishermen presumed dead.
- Enforced maritime lien against MV Bourbon docked at the port of Manila.
- Advised on sinking and wreck removal of MV St. Nuriel and St. Dominic in Batangas due to typhoon Quinta in October 2020.
As one of the oldest active firms in the Philippines, Ortega Bacorro Odulio Calma & Carbonell has extensive experience in shipping and maritime law. A majority of the firm’s lawyers are specialised in this area. The firm handles cases involving collision, attachment or arrest of ships as well as smuggling and illegal importation charges against shipowners and charterers. Representing the Owner of MV “Bourbon” regarding the computation and collection of terminal fees in a dispute against Harbour Center Terminal, the firm was able to reduce the claim by almost half. Gregorio Ortega is the managing partner of the firm and has expertise in admiralty law. Benjamin Bacorro and Pedro Carbonell lead the practice alongside Ortega.
P & I Clubs
Eastern Mediterranean Manning Agency
Grace Marine Shipping Agencies
TCM Tsakos Maritime Philippines
Fil-Star Maritime Corporation
88 Aces Maritime Services
Clio Shipping and Logistics Philippines
Orient Overseas Container Line
COSCO Shipping Lines
Benline Agencies Phils
Wallem Philippines Shipping
One Stop Logistics Solutions
Lorenzo Shipping Corporation
Malayan Towage & Salvage Corporation
- Represented the Owner of MV “Bourbon” in a dispute with Harbour Center Terminal regarding the computation and collection of terminal fees.
- Assisted Clio Shipping with 9 cargo claims cases filed by Oriental Assurance amounting to a total of Php26m.
- Defended Philhua Shipping Company in a US$1m case filed by a consignee for a total loss of a cargo.
SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan advises on a broad range of cases involving maritime casualties and also represents clients in shipping-related disputes involving marine insurance, fraud, cargo claims, and ship arrests. Working closely with its corporate practice area, the firm has extensive experience handling the financing, sale, charter, crewing, and registration of vessels for both domestic and foreign companies. Following her recent promotion to partnership, Joanna Marie Joson has been working alongside Russel Rodriguez on landmark international arbitration proceedings in the UK, providing testimony on the breach of Philippine law following the potentially unlawful arrest of a ship in Filipino waters. The firm is noted for its ‘creative solutions‘ in complex matters. Leading the practice are Rocky Reyes, Vicente Gerochi, and Russel Rodriguez.
‘They provided assistance which was creative in nature when creative solutions were required and were prepared to back themselves when others may not have been prepared to do so.’
‘Russel Rodriguez was easy to work with, commercial and prepared to push the Court when necessary which was much appreciated.’
‘The team really studies the case, checks every side and possibility before coming up with an answer. They really coordinate with their team and client and they are knowledgeable in the area being discussed. Every step taken is calculated and planned very well.’
7107 Islands Shipping Corporation
All Seas Marine
Berwin and Leighton Paisner
Delta Meco Crewing Services
El Victor Limited Ship and Crew Managers
Hanjin Heavy Industries & Construction
Harbor Star Shipping Services
Keppel Subic Shipyard
Frabelle Food Corporation
Hoya Marine Corporation
Keppel Batangas Shipyard
Melaleuca of the Philippines
SCG International Corporation
Steamship Insurance Management Services
- Assisted Mayer Brown acting for BNP Paribas with the registration of ship mortgages in the Philippines and in Panama.
- Assisted Stephenson Harwood with arbitration proceedings following a ship arrest.
- Acted for a major Philippine shipyard operator in the enforcement of a maritime lien.