Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International is dominant in this arena, excelling in all areas of project finance, bids, concession negotiation and management, design, construction and development. It continues to represent Sociedad Concesionaria Metro de Lima Línea 2, the concessionaire of one of the highest-profile projects in the county, which will modernise the public transport system in Peru's capital city. Advice is led by infrastructure concessions and administrative law expert Juan Carlos Morón, who co-leads the practice alongside market-leading project finance lawyer and firm managing partner Juan Carlos de los Heros. Other key figures include: concessions and public works regulatory partner Maria del Carmen Tovar; Inés Vázquez, whose practice includes concessions and utility regulation; Zita Aguilera, who advises on public bids and infrastructure concessions; and Ana Sofia Reyna Palacios, specialist in public private partnerships and private finance initiatives. At associate level, principal Diana Collazos and senior Angela Raygada provide key support and extend the prevalence of women lawyers on the team, in what has traditionally been a male-dominated sector.
Projects and infrastructure in Peru
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
Juan Carlos de los Heros; Juan Carlos Morón
‘Good interaction between the different areas of the firm (project finance, litigation, regulation) which is very important and helps a lot in properly landing the issues.’
‘The availability and technical quality of the team that supports me stands out. Juan Carlos de los Heros and Fernando Sam are very good and very analytical, and seek to bring solutions to meet the needs of the client. ‘
Sociedad Concesionaria Metro de Lima Línea 2
Citibank del Peru/Citibank
Ferrocarril Central Andino
Consortium Vial Ambo (Constructora Santa Fe Sucursal del Perú, Grino Sucursal del Perú and JE Construcciones Generales)
Brookfield Asset Management
Consorcio Concesión Chancay Acos
Construcciones and Infraestructura Concesionada (Infracon)
Électricité de France
Aeropuertos del Perú
- Advised Aleática, as sponsor, and Autopista del Norte., as borrower, in connection with a $350m senior secured financing for the construction works for the completion of the Red Vial No. 4 toll road project (Pativilca – Santa Trujillo y Salaverry – Empalme).
- Advising Sociedad Concesionaria Metro de Lima Línea 2, as concessionaire, on regulatory and public law matters during the execution of the concession agreement of the project.
- Acted for Citibank as the collateral agent and onshore account bank during the entire process of the $226m financing for three solar projects of Spanish renewables company Solarpack and French private equity group Ardian, in the south of Peru.
Garrigues remains hard to beat for project finance advice on the lender/sponsor side, where the team acts for global and domestic banks on landmark projects. They include representing BNP Paribas, Societé Generale and SMBC in three simultaneous financings (aggregate value: $226m), for three power plants owned by Solarpack and Ardian. It is also advising on the Jorge Chavez International Airport expansion, and the Red Vial No. 4 toll road concession. Other areas of expertise include PPP tenders, EPC/operation and maintenance contracts, development, regulatory/permitting advice, government negotiations and lender renegotiations, among other matters. The team offers senior capability at both partner and associate level and comprises five partners, led by market-leader Oscar Arrús (who primarily focuses on toll roads, rail and sanitation), one counsel and a hefty 17 associates, including five principal/seniors. Key names include: partners Thomas Thorndike and Diego Harman, both strong on project finance; counsel and public law/regulatory specialist Victor Baca; and principal associate Johanna Holz, who specialises in infrastructure, telecoms and energy projects.
Gas Natural de Lima y Callao
Corporación Andina de Fomento (CAF)
- Advised KfW, The Bank of Nova Scotia, SMBC and BBVA on a $450m bridge financing for the airside expansion of the Jorge Chavez International Airport in Lima.
- Advised BNP Paribas, Societé Generale and SMBC in three simultaneous financings for three power plants (Tacna Solar, Panamericana Solar and Moquegua) owned by Solarpack and Ardian, for the aggregate amount of $226m.
- Advised Credicorp Capital, SMBC, Banco de Crédito del Perú, Santander, Itaú Corpbanca, Inter-American Investment Corporation, COFIDE, Crédit Agricole and ING Bank on the $350m refinancing of the Red Vial No. 4 toll road concession, granted by the Peruvian Government to Autopista del Norte (a subsidiary of Aleatica).
A well-co-ordinated, multidisciplinary team at Miranda & Amado is instructed on a stream of projects of national importance, particularly in relation to energy, mining and general infrastructure. For instance, practice co-head Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis, a market leader in projects and project finance, is leading advice to Petróleos del Perú (Petroperú) on the innovative modernisation and expansion of the $4.7bn Talara crude oil refinery. Alongside mining and oil and gas expert Alberto Delgado, the pair steer a 20-strong team from across the firm in providing clients with advice on the complete life-cycle of a project. Those most consistently involved in this work, however, include mining and hydrocarbons specialist Guillermo Bracamonte, and recently promoted partner Isabel Lira (January 2021), who focuses on infrastructure, concessions and PPP, with added competition capability. Up and coming associates include Andrés Arbe and Cynthia Rebaza. A noteworthy client gain during the past year is the UK government, which the firm is advising in relation to investment in Northern Peru.
Luis Marcelo De-Bernardis; Alberto Delgado V.
‘The Miranda & Amado team has deep, specialised knowledge on the subject of financing projects for public/private associations like the one I manage. I consider that what makes this practice unique, in addition to the depth of its experience, is the permanent proactive disposition to understand my business and provide solutions tailored to my company.‘
‘Permanent willingness to listen to our special cases, to accompany us in our discussions with the various stakeholders. Quick response even if it requires deep work in a very short time. Dedication is practically 24/7 when required. Both Jose Miguel Puiggros (the partner who advises on the finance of my projects) and Lisbeth Benavides (the associate who works with Jose Miguel on my projects) have demonstrated the above.’
‘Miranda’s team has extensive experience in project financing and in infrastructure and energy projects in Peru. They have worked on many projects with an international component and are trained to respond to the needs and demands of the most sophisticated sponsors and funders. It is one of the best options in Peru.’
‘Jose Miguel Puiggros is one of its most prominent lawyers.’
Petróleos del Perú
Quanta Services Perú
Minera Las Bambas
Minera Chinalco Peru (subsidiary of Chinalco)
BPZ Exploración y Producción (a subsidiary of Grupo Alfa)
Great Panther Silver
Transportadora de Gas del Perú
United Kingdom government
Lima Expresa (Vinci)
- Providing comprehensive advice to Petróleos del Perú (Petroperú) relating to the development and financing of the Talara crude oil refinery project for the modernisation and expansion of the refinery, value approximately $4.7bn.
- Advising Minera Chinalco Peru on various aspects related to the operation of the Toromocho Mining Unit, a major mining project in Peru which involves an estimated investment of $1.3bn.
- Advised Quanta Services Perú on the contractual framework provided by the Engineering, Procurement and Construction agreement (EPC) with Redes Andinas de Comunicaciones in relation to implementation of the Access Network and Transportation Network in the regions of Cajamarca, Tumbes and Piura, large-scale telecommunication projects of national interest.
Few headline projects come to market without Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano – Abogados at the table. For example, this year it represented Lima Airport Partners in the $450m financing for the modernisation of Lima’s Jorge Chavez International Airport, and acted for Tacna Solar, Panamericana Solar and Moquegua (owned by Solarpack and Ardian), on three simultaneous financings for three power plants (aggregate amount, $226m). The firm leverages off its strong mining, financing and energy teams to produce a stellar offering, the practice steered by head partners from those areas: Luis Carlos Rodrigo Prado, Jean Paul Chabaneix and Verónica Sattler, respectively. Integral to the practice group are project finance star Fernando Molina and fellow project finance specialist Juan Diego De Vinatea, who both take the lead on multiple matters. The practice houses a deep pool of 28 associates among whom regulatory senior associate Diana Briones is highly active in this area.
Luis Carlos Rodrigo Prado; Jean Paul Chabaneix; Veronica Sattler
‘Their detailed knowledge of the legislation and how to interrelate with the other legal areas as well as its implications, stands out. The REM firm is a reference point in the relationship with the client, and in the inter-area internal coordination.’
‘A plus that I identify in REM is the leadership in the relationship with the client, and I see that in Alejandro Manayalle, that when he takes a topic, he coordinates it and, if necessary, because the topic touches other areas of the study, leads it and identifies the interactions and implications, resulting in a complete and comprehensive work.’
‘REM has a first class team. Undoubtedly, one of the 2-3 top law firms in Peru.’
‘Jean Paul Chabaneix and Luis Enrique Palacios stand out. One of them has been there for decades; the other more recent. A good example of how the firm has achieved excellent quality control. They are very competent in their areas, each with their own area of expertise but they can also move and advise in other more general areas. Also, it is a pleasure to work with them!‘
‘Well-experianced with in-depth knowledge of the subject; heavliy team focused and goal driven.’
Lima Airport Partners
Rutas de Lima
Corporación Andina de Fomento (CAF)
Inter-American Development Bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Salaverry Terminal Internacional
- Peruvian counsel to Salaverry Terminal Internacional, as borrower, on the $132m project financing for the modernisation and development of the Salaverry Multi-Purpose Port in the department of La Libertad, Peru, granted by BBVA Peru, Santander and Itaú.
- Acted for Panamericana Solar, Moquegua FV and Tacna Solar, subsidiaries of Solarpack and Ardian, in three separate financings (aggregate value, $226m) granted by BNP Paribas, Societe Generale and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation to refinance existing project financing granted by the U.S. government’s development finance institution, DFC.
- Advised Lima Airport Partners on the $450m financing for the modernisation of Lima’s Jorge Chavez International Airport , granted by KfW IPEX-Bank, the Bank of Nova Scotia, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC), and Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria.
Although considerably smaller in size than its closest competitors, the team at DLA Piper Perú is a serious contender in this arena. Such is the expertise in project financing, development and management of Carlos Nuñez and his second line of six associates that the practice earns instructions in multiple leading projects. They include the $300m construction of a road between the cities of Cajamarca and La Libertad and acting on behalf of Spanish conglomerate Convial Sierra Norte. Núñez also handles arbitration resulting from infrastructure concessions, PPPs, public works and private construction. Principal associate Víctor Velásquez and senior associate Reyna Silva-Santiesteban are key advisors.
‘Since the beginning of the contract, they have been our advisers. They are working well, in fact, they are renewed every year for six years now.‘
‘We work mainly with Carlos Núñez and Emanuel Cárdenas. The environmental team also collaborates very well with us and in general, any questions that we ask them, in any discipline, they collaborate with us appropriately.‘
Convial Sierra Norte (Sacyr Concesiones)
Concesionaria Hidrovía Amazónica (Cohidro)
Metro De Lima Línea 2 (EPC Consortium)
Aeropuertos Del Perú (ADP)
Invepar/Línea Amarilla Participacoes
Consorcio Museo Nacional (OHL–Aldesa)
Sacyr Construcción Sucursal Perú
Concesionaria IIRSA Norte and Concesionaria IIRSA Sur T-2 & Sur T-3
- Advising Consorcio MUNA, a major construction consortium composed of two leading Spanish companies from the infrastructure sector (OHL and Aldesa), on the implementation of a $94m works contract.
- Advising Spanish conglomerate Convial Sierra Norte (Sacyr Concesiones) on the development and implementation of a $300m infrastructure project for the construction of a state road between the cities of Cajamarca and La Libertad.
- Acting for Peruvian contractor Concesionaria Hidrovía Amazónica (COHIDRO) with regard to its $100m concession contract for the design, financing, promotion, construction, operation and maintenance of a project to maintain the navigability of the Peruvian Amazon.
Hernández & Cía. Abogados has capability across the financial, tax, regulatory, construction, permitting and expropriation aspects of projects, earning instructions in diverse sectors including health, roads and utilities, among others. The firm has been particularly busy during the past year acting for international development banks and Peru's state-owned investment promotion agency ProInversión on projects seeking to address the fall-out from Covid-19, such as two new hospitals at a combined cost of $254m. José Manuel Abastos, client partner to ProInversión, and energy specialist Brendan Oviedo head the team, although Oviedo currently plays a lesser role. Public law and projects specialist Gracy Zapata is integral to the practice.
José Manuel Abastos; Brendan Oviedo
‘Both Gracy Zapata and Evelyn López offer a very high level of commitment and sincerity regarding the approach of the problems with their possible results; a circumstance that allows us to effectively determine whether it will be appropriate to maintain our positions or modify them according to their suggestions. Likewise, both show a great knowledge of the regulations and the possible solutions to our problems, which generates an environment full of trust.‘
Private Investment Promotion Agency (ProInversión)
Inter-American Development Bank (IADB)
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Gobierno Regional del Arequipa
Arthur D Little
Arendal Sociedad de Responsabilidad Limitada de Capital Variable
- Advised Inter-American Development Bank (IADB) on the design, construction and operation of two hospital PPP projects ($144m and $110m), the aim of which is to substantially improve public health infrastructure, especially since Covid-19.
- Advised IFC (World Bank Group) which is working for the Private Investment Promotion Agency (ProInversion) as the lead advisor to prepare the bidding process and documents for a $500m PPP project for the design, construction and operation of the Headworks and Conduction of Drinking Water Supply in Lima (Obras de Cabecera).
- Advised Castalia and IADB on work for Proinversión to prepare the bidding process and documents for the $50m Wastewater Treatment System of Puerto Maldonado project, including financing, construction, operation and maintenance.
Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados is able to advise on all stages of project planning, financing, development and management, with niche expertise in works-for-taxes projects, which involves investment in return for reduced income tax. A case in point is advising Asociación de Bancos del Perú (ASBANC) on the management of a series of infrastructure projects developed under this scheme. A focused team comprises Juan Antonio Egüez (corporate) and Gerardo Soto (public law), who lead on the vast majority of mandates; supported by counsel Karen Angeles, a public and administrative law specialist who has standout experience in works-for-taxes and PPP projects.
Juan Antonio Egüez; Gerardo Soto; Giovanna García
‘The Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados law firm has been giving us an extraordinary service, the advice they have given us on mining issues has allowed us to make timely and beneficial decisions for the project we have been working with them. Teamwork is noticeable, since even the information is not handled by a single person, which allows us to go to any person on the team: José Cúneo, Michelle Aramburú or María Teresa Salazar for specific coordination. In the case of the advice itself, we have been able to exchange information in a fluid way, so that it can be analysed by them, demonstrating a comprehensive analysis of each query raised. In the case of urgent matters, we have had timely attention.’
‘In the case of José Cúneo, his handling of mining issues demonstrates deep experience and analytical capacity. It has made us feel that we have a solid and reliable advice that allows us to make our decisions. In the case of Michelle Aramburú, in addition to the knowledge and capacity for analysis, she has provided close attention when answering a call or attending a meeting, in addition to the involvement that she has shown us when reviewing and giving us a joint opinion. It has made us feel accompanied in our project design process and in making our decisions. In the case of María Teresa Salazar, the ongoing concern and involvement she has, and the interest in knowing the magnitude of the problem or query raised and carrying out ongoing coordination stands out.’
Cosco Shipping Ports Chancay Perú (Terminales Portuarios Chancay)
Conelsur LT/Transelec Group
América Móvil Perú
Peruvian Banking Association
- Providing corporate and regulatory advice to Terminales Portuarios Chancay on the development of their port infrastructure project, allegedly the largest investment in port infrastructure industry in a decade.
- Advising ProInversión, the Peruvian private investment promotion agency, on the assessment and structuring of the El Algarrobo mining project, presented before ProInversión as an unsolicited proposal under the Peruvian PPP projects regime.
- Advising the Asociación de Bancos del Perú – ASBANC on the management of a series of infrastructure projects developed under the Works for Taxes scheme.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uria has a strong track record in this area, having advised on multiple high-impact projects over the years. More recently, it acted as local counsel to China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) in the tender process for the $232m Huancayo Huancavelica railway project, still awaiting announcement of the award at the time of writing. Other current mandates relate to roads, waste water, oil refineries and airports, demonstrating the versatility of the team. It is led by widely-respected and experienced project finance and infrastructure partner Ronald Fernández-Dávila, supported by a trio of associates. They include standout principal associate Aouda del Castillo, a PPP specialist.
Ronald Fernández Dávila
‘The strengths of PPU are its deep legal knowledge on infrastructure projects, under the collaboration of PPPs in Peru and also, its availability and quick response when legal advice is required. It compares favourably with the teams of other firms.’
‘The plus that makes them stand out from the rest of their competitors is their exhaustive knowledge about the history of the project, their high legal rigour in legal advice and the degree of trust established with the partner Ronald Fernández Dávila.‘
‘Flexibility in contracting models to avoid costs not expected by the client. Comprehensive advice in various areas (necessary for project development). ‘
China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation
Operadora Ecológica del Titicaca
Concesionaria Vial del Perú
Aeropuertos del Perú
Eléctricas de Medellín
Autopista del Norte
- Local counsel to China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) in the tender process for the awarding of the Huancayo Huancavelica railway project.
- Counsel to Operadora Ecológica del Titicaca (Opeti), the concessionaire executing the Titicaca Waste Water Project, a 30-year design-build-finance-operate PPP which requires the construction of six new water treatment plants.
- Advised Concesionaria Vial del Perú (COVIPERU), concessionaire of Red Vial N° 6 section of the Panamericana sur highway on a new agreement which will allow the execution of works of the third phase of the concession and will represent an investment of $55m.
CMS Grau is strong in project development, particularly in the energy and mining sectors which are key strengths of the firm. Public law partner Giancarlo Villafranqui is praised for his experience in PPPs, concessions and administrative issues; he co-leads the practice alongside the versatile Michelle Barclay, whose broad practice includes bidding and concessions, alongside investment negotiations in relation to public assets. Client gains during the past year include a US oil and gas company and a domestic irrigation project concessionaire.
Michelle Barclay Thorne; Giancarlo Villafranqui
SA de Obras y Servicios, COPASA
Ghesa Ingeniería y Tecnología (sucursal del Perú)
Tullow Oil / Tullow Peru
BP Exploration Operating Company
Petróleos del Peru (Petroperu)
- In conjunction with other CMS office across Latin America, advisng a multilateral institution on various projects over the next two years, having won a master agreement to represent the client.
- Advising an international mining company on the execution phase of projects filed under the public works for tax deduction mechanism.
- Advice to an international company on the public tender for the concession for the improvement of the sewerage and sewage treatment system of the city of Puerto Maldonado in the Amazon Basin.
Navarro Sologuren Paredes Gray
Navarro Sologuren Paredes Gray handles an expanding caseload of infrastructure and municipal projects, focusing on all stages of the construction process. The engineering and construction boutique has multiple experts in this niche, namely all three founding partners, Enrique Navarro Sologuren, Jaime Gray and Gustavo Paredes, who are supported by a large team of three further partners (arbitrator Guillermo Zavalaga, administrative law specialist Elisa Figueroa and disputes partner Katherine Waidhofer) plus six associates. Senior associate Carlos Tapia leads on the firm's PPP and works-for-taxes mandates.
Enrique Navarro Sologuren; Jaime Gray; Gustavo Paredes
‘It is a law firm specialised in infrastructure and arbitration. It is undoubtedly the most solid firm in terms of arbitration and management of infrastructure projects. The team is very solid and with extensive experience.’
‘Many years of experience, national and international. Very solid academic preparation. Gustavo Paredes is exceptional; Jaime Gray is exceptional; Enrique Navarro is excellent.’
‘They are the lawyers who know the most about construction in Peru. Nobody has their experience.’
‘Enrique Navarro is the leader of the team. He is a lawyer ‘with mud on his boots’. His immense work experience is reflected in his advice, whether in the negotiation of a contract, in the design of a claim or in litigation. He is also a tremendously committed lawyer with his clients.’
Compañía Minera Antamina
Salaverry Terminal Internacional
Corporación Aceros Arequipa
Terminal Portuario Euroandino Paita
Petróleos del Perú (Petroperu)
Técnica y proyectos (sucursal del Perú)
JJC Contratistas Generales
Constructora Pirenaica (sucursal del Perú)
- Advised JJC Constratistas Generales as part of the Consorcio Hospitalario Lima for the extension of time claims in the project to improve critical services and outpatient consultation at the Luis N Saenz National Police Hospital.
- Advised Consorcio Nipsa-Eptisa on the PTRT3 Project regarding the execution of activities of land registry, titling and registration of rural properties and communities in the regions of Amazonas, Cajamarca, San Martín (lot 1) and Loreto (lot 4).
- Acting for Salaverry Terminal Internacional as a concessionaire of the Salaverry Port; the advisory includes the execution of the design and construction works to improve the existing infrastructure in accordance with the concession agreement.
A multidisciplinary team at Rubio Leguía Normand handles both infrastructure and general project work, and is particularly strong on the financing side under practice co-heads Andrés Kuan-Veng and Carlos Arata, both banking and finance specialists. Fellow co-head and administrative law specialist Milagros Maraví is highly rated for her PPP and concessions expertise; she led advice to Citybike Miraflores (Grupo Moventia) on its implementation of a public bicycle scheme in the districts of San Isidro and Miraflores in Lima. Mining and natural resources partner Diego Grisolle is another key member of the team.
Milagros Maraví; Andrés Kuan-Veng; Carlos Arata
Citybike San Isidro
Técnicas Desalinizadoras de Agua Sucursal del Perú
Petroleos del Peru (PetroPeru)
- Acted for Citybike San Isidro (Grupo Moventia) on the design of a system of public bicycles in the districts of San Isidro and Miraflores in Lima.
- Advised ACRES Sociedad Agente de Bolsa as arranger, and Fondo Macro Infraestructura (managed by Macro Asset Management) as investor, on the structuring of the issuance of corporate bonds as part of the first programme of corporate bonds by private offer – Monte Azul Sur.
- Acted for Newmont Peru in the negotiation and execution with Minsur of several contracts to motivate the development of five exploration projects located at Ancash, Lima and Cajamarca.
Market-leading power firm Santiváñez Abogados advises on all stages of a project, from conceptualisation through to closure, with a focus on the energy sector. The firm is an established adviser to the State's private investment promotion agency ProInversión, while other clients comprise domestic and international leaders from the electricity, oil and gas and mining sectors. A strong partner team comprises: Roberto Santivañez, who advises multiple bidding companies and adjudicating entities on bids for electricity infrastructure; Fidel Rocha, who is focused on the regulatory aspects of energy and infrastructure; and Paul Sumar, lead advisor to ProInversión.
Fidel Rocha; Roberto Santiváñez; Paul Súmar
Anglo American Quellaveco
Agencia de Promoción de la Inversión Privada – ProInversión
Gaz Et L’Energie
Tarucani Generating Company
Compañía Eléctrica El Plantanal – CELEPSA
San Miguel Industrias PET
Empresa Concesionaria de Electricidad de Ucayali – Electro Ucayali
- Advising Gaz Et L’Energie, a Peruvian company from the energy generation sector, on the negotiation of several gas supply agreements and the development of several projects, amounting to $450m.
- Advising Anglo American Quellaveco on the regulatory and contractual aspects of the execution of the BOOT contracts for electricity transmission lines for the operation of the Quellaveco mine.
- Acting for ProInversión, the government agency in charge of promoting private investment in Peru, on a natural gas massification project for the distribution of natural gas by pipelines in the regions of Apurímac, Ayacucho, Cusco, Huancavelica, Junín, Puno and Ucayali.
CAMPOS | Arbitraje e Infraestructura
Campos | Arbitraje e Infraestructura is a construction boutique advising on some of the country's most high-profile infrastructure projects. They include the expansion of Jorge Chavez International Airport, representing the construction consortium Consorcio Inti Punku. The team also advises on PPPs, public works programmes between governments (G2G), works-for-taxes deductions and traditional public bids. Alexander Campos has a growing market profile.
‘Their attention is personalised and the firm compares favourably to others.’
‘Strong points are their knowledge of the field and personalised treatment. Alexander Campos and Rodrigo Delgado stand out.‘
Sacyr Construccion (Peru branch)
Flesan del Perú
Peruana de Construcción e Infraestructura
Mota Engil Peru
Constructora San Jose
GMI Ingenieros Consultores
Copisa Constructora Pirenaica
Mantenimiento, Construccion y Proyectos Generales
- Advising Consorcio Inti Punku (a joint venture between GyM, Sacyr Construcción and Sacyr Construcción Peru), the construction consortium for the Jorge Chavez Interntional Airport development, being led by concessionaire Lima Airport Partners (LAP).
- Advising Sacyr Construccion (Peru branch), the Chiclayo International Airport contractor, on the works and the relationship with concessionaire ADP (Aeropuertos del Perú).
- Acting for Flesan del Perú as contractor for the execution of a river defence for the ‘Matagente’ river in the region of Ica, to protect the areas surrounding these waters from river flooding, following damage caused by the El Niño phenomenon.
EY Peru fields a strong partner duo in this area, comprising Juan José Cárdenas who has a dedicated PPP, concessions, project finance and regulatory practice, and María Luisa Peña Hartog, a similar specialist but with an energy sector focus. With four associates in support, the team represents a growing client roster of foreign and domestic concessionaires, sponsors and financial entities, as well as government bodies.
Maria del Pilar Sabogal; Juan José Cárdenas; Maria Luisa Peña
‘Excellent team, very solid. They combine a lot of experience and prompt attention.‘
‘Juan José Cárdenas has a lot of experience and ability. Giuseppe Galluccio responds fast and is very professional.‘
‘The level of detail, and the availability of the team stand out. They understand the sense of urgency demanded by the company’s needs.’
‘Their extensive experience in the sector contributes to their being understood as experts in the issues they advise on.’
‘They are able to preview possible obstacles and/or incidents before they occur.‘
‘They manage to deliver more than a legal service, they integrate different areas to give us more complete solutions and thus reduce project costs. Juan Jose Cárdenas is the one who helps us at EY. Best of all, I can reach them 24/7 with great ease via WhatsApp with video conferencing always. They are also humble people – in other firms the ego of lawyers who do not listen prevails. At EY we do see that they listen and understand our needs.‘
Fundación Augusto N Wiese
Servicios Aéreos y Terrestres Aviasur
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Consorcio Trecca (Grupo Salud del Perú and American Hospitals Management)
Corporación Nacional de Telecomunicaciones
- Advised Fundación Augusto N Wiese on its participation in a public tender for the financing and execution of a project in order to manage, recover and maintain the archaeological project El Brujo, a project established by the Ministry of Culture under the works-for-taxes regime.
- Counselling Concesionaria Canchaque on a day-to-day basis on all regulatory issues, including compliance with the regulatory requirements to operate their concession and representation in proceedings before local authorities.
- Counselling Survial on a day-to-day basis on all regulatory issues, including compliance with the regulatory requirements to operate their concession and representation in proceedings before local authorities.
Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas has noteworthy capability in this arena, particularly on the financing side under the leadership of corporate and project finance partner Luis Miguel Elías, who also brings relevant mining expertise to the practice. The team continues to advise Proinversion, the Peruvian investment promotion agency, on updating its guide and PPP template agreement to be used in all future projects in Peru. Senior associates Ana Maria Sanchez and Jesus Revilla are key practice group members.
Luis Miguel Elias; Alberto Rebaza
International Finance Corporation
Hogan Lovells / ProInversion
Glencore / Perubar
Glencore Canada Corporation
Obrascón Huarte Lain (OHL del Perú) / Constructora de Proyectos Viales de México / GAMI Ingeniería e Instalaciones
Nexus Capital Partners
Corporación Monte Azul
Consorcio Deloitte Talara
Andino Investment Holding
- Provided Peruvian law advice to ProInversion on all key issues required to implement proposals to make PPP standardised contracts more efficient and modern.
- Assisted Glencore Canada Corporation, in its capacity as co-lender and secured creditor, with analysis of the Peruvian assets required of Trevali Peru’s mining unit and processing facilities in the context of securing Trevali’s aggregate $170m refinancing in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advising IFC in its capacity as permitted creditor in the amendment to APM Terminals’ concession agreement for the expansion of the Callao Multipurpose Port.
Vidal Abogados is a boutique firm specialising in the development of investment projects across a very diverse scope of sectors. The Covid-19 pandemic has brought some novel, albeit tragic, instructions - such as projects to home-treat chronic patients and the development of cremation infrastructure projects. PPP and public utility regulation specialist Julio Vidal Villanueva, and Evelyn Román Carrasco, whose practice includes infrastructure concessions and public services, lead the team and all key mandates.
Julio Vidal Villanueva; Evelyn Román Carrasco
‘They are very competitive in matters of private public associations, their lawyers have technical and good legal knowledge.’
‘Very informed and up-to-date, especially partner Julio Vidal.’
‘Multidisciplinary team with extensive knowledge in the development of PPP projects in the country.’
‘Evelyn Román, general manager of the firm and partner, is an excellent professional. Very well prepared, and very helpful. Julio Vidal, partner, is a professional with extensive experience in the development of infrastructure projects.’
‘The best legal firm in public private partnerships in Perú.’
‘Julio Vidal (partner) has professionalism, contacts, readiness and collaboration, which makes him the best choice for PPP in Perú.’
‘Their strengths are the technical knowledge of private investment regulations, which is evident in the entire team assigned to legal support. Comparatively, the service is ideal and I would recommend it.’
‘They maintain fluid, clear and adequate communication. Sandra Esparza is a professional who demonstrates knowledge and skill (experience) in the subjects where she advises us.’
Ministry of Production
Municipality of Miraflores
Parque del Recuerdo (Asociacion Civil San Juan Bautista)
- Advised Parque del Recuerdo on obtaining enabling titles required for the implementation of five cremation infrastructures nationwide within the framework of the State of Emergency declared as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised Roche in designing the project for the comprehensive non-medical management of home-treatment for chronic patients insured by the Social Health Insurance (EsSalud), in the context of the State of Emergency declared as a result of the Covid-19 Pandemic.
- Advised the Ministry of Production in a private investment promotion process corresponding to the first portfolio of projects for the optimisation of infrastructure and equipment of public-supplier markets through the Projects in Assets mechanism.