A stellar client list at Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano – Abogados is indicative of its exceptional practice: the firm attracts a raft of the country's largest mining companies, including Marcobre, Southern Peru Copper Corporation and Anglo American Quellaveco. With tier-one practices across the firm, it provides a 'magnificent service' in respect of the complex legal needs of the mining sector, be it corporate, financing, dispute resolution or environmental, for instance, combined with pre-eminent mining regulatory knowhow. Practice head Luis Carlos Rodrigo Prado is a stalwart of the industry with a global reputation. Despite his managing partner role at the firm, he remains hands-on, recently leading advice to Minera Antamina on its $250m secured loan from Scotiabank. The 19-strong team also includes lead advisers Oscar Benavides, who focuses on exploration, development and exploitation contracts, M&A and the financing of mining projects; administrative mining regulations and environmental expert Francisco Tong; and the more junior -but nevertheless key- partners Francisco Barrios and Claudio Ferrero. At associate level, Mariana Delgado and Diego Pachas -who both have a decade at the firm- provide key support.
Mining in Peru
Luis Carlos Rodrigo Prado
Cumbres del Sur
Southern Peru Copper Corporation (sucursal del Peru)
Minera Barrick Misquichilca
Freeport-McMoran Exploration Corporation
Nueva Cocha Mining Company
Anglo American Quellaveco
Pan American Silver Corp
First Quantum Minerals
Anglo American Peru
- Advised Antamina, a top-ten miner -globally- by size, on obtaining a $250m loan from Scotiabank.
- Advised Shahuindo on its merger with Empresa Transmisora de Cajabamba, whereby the client absorbed all rights and obligations, legal relations and in general all of Empresa Transmisora de Cajabamba’s equity.
- Acted for Cumbres del Sur on its merger with Compañía Minera Barbastro and Minera Sillustani whereby the client absorbed all of the two companies’ rights and obligations, legal relations and in general all of their equity.
A market leader for property-rights issues within the mining sector, CMS Grau is also experienced in the full suite of legal matters facing the industry, from corporate and business strategy and financing, through to project development and conflicts. The firm reports a busy year advising its high-calibre client base on Covid-related regulations and implications, including the donation of oxygen to public medical centres of local communities. In contrast, it is also acting for Macusani Yellowcake, a subsidiary of Plateau Energy Metals, on the defence of 32 of its mining titles against forfeiture attempted by the Peruvian mining authorities. The practice benefits from the skill of five partners, led by the very experienced Cecilia Gonzales and including: Liliana Pautrat who is highly focused on the exploration, exploitation, processing and mining transport activities of operations; mining M&A and finance partner Marité Aragaki; and former in-house mining lawyer, Raúl Ferreryra.
Cecilia Gonzales; Miguel Grau
‘They have experience and detailed knowledge of environmental and mining regulations. I highlight the level of persistence and resources to reverse the most complex and unpredictable situations that occur in our legislation.’
‘Direct involvement in the matters is a strength. Raul Ferrero knows the sector and the applicable regulations broadly, providing various legal alternatives with a risk analysis that allows you to always make the best decision. Liliana Pautrat has the ability to make the most complex cases simple and facilitates the ability to present these cases to the highest levels of the company. Her experience and knowledge of the mining sector guarantees choosing the most correct and simple way to solve the most complex problems that arise.’
‘CMS Grau is one of the oldest firms with a mining practice in Peru, but it has maintained that strength with subsequent generations. In this sense, any company would have the support of a senior partner such as Cecilia Gonzáles and other partners such as Raúl Ferreyra. CMS Grau’s level of specialisation in the mining and extractive sector is super-high and, consequently, provides a specialised service and in-depth knowledge of the industry.’
‘CMS Grau’s lawyers have a high level of specialisation in matters related to mining activities, an aspect that I consider to be a plus. Its knowledge is not only limited to understanding and managing the legal aspect but, above all, understanding how the mining industry works, offering real solutions. In addition, they are lawyers (Raul Ferreyra and Marite Aragaki) who have academic specialisations at international universities, which gives you not only academic knowledge but also to be part of an international network of professionals in the sector.’
‘Complete analysis of regulatory issues.’
‘Liliana Pautrat has great capacity for analysis and support in solving complex problems.’
Mountain Minerals Perú
Goldfields La Cima
Solaris Resources (Formerly Lowell Copper)
Nexa Resources Perú
Sumitomo Metals Mining Perú
Minera Las Bambas
Compañía de Minas Buenaventura
Wheaton Precious Metals
Compañía Minera Santa Luisa
Compañía Minera Lincuna
Humon Latin America
Inversiones y Asesoría Prima
Osisko Gold Royalties
- Advising Macusani Yellowcake on the defence of 32 of its mining titles against forfeiture attempts by the Peruvian mining authorities, a potential precedent setting case for future investments in the country.
- Advising multiple clients in the mining sector on Covid-19-related matters, including health and safety plans to commence operations in due course after the general lockdown.
- Advising Osisko Gold Royalties on a cross-border strategic partnership with Regulus Resources, including identifying relevant provisions and covenants to be included in Peruvian and Canadian agreements and related documents implementing this transaction.
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International offers a panoramic service to mining companies and related players in the sector, such as financiers, banks, constructors and utilities. Recent transactions include advising an extensive banking syndicate that included Banco Santander and Bank of Nova Scotia on $300m refinancing provided to Volcan Compañía Minera. However, the practice truly shines in its public law offering, highly significant given the extensive administrative law demands of the industry, while it is also very strong on the disputes side. Head of the practice Valentin Paniagua is highly focused on the sector and advises on the commercial, regulatory, corporate and litigation aspects of mining activities. Corporate partner Ina María Drago is key member of the team, with niche specialisation in international investment in mining companies, co-leading on the Volcan Compañía Minera deal alongside the firm's finance partner Pablo Berckholtz. Associate Cinthya Delgado de la Flor, who has had a busy year on lead mandates, is also noted.
‘In the team led by Valentin Paniagua we find integrity, promptness, rectitude, disposition, commitment and experience to resolve the contingencies that arise during our operations.’
‘Valentin Paniagua has a high capacity for analysis, diligence and knowledge. Always seeks compliance with regulations and keeps in mind the importance of compliance. Cinthya Delgado de la Flor is very proactive, a lot of experience, high analytical skills, integrity in behaviour and advice. Ina Drago has a lot of experience, very versatile, high negotiating skills and defends the interests of her clients.’
‘They know the subject very well given the extensive experience they have and are very professional.‘
‘Strong points are honesty and integrity added to experience.’
‘The team responsible for our account comprises well-informed professionals with extensive knowledge of legal issues related to mining and the environment.’
‘They are lawyers who are very committed to the needs of the client and the attention they give. Additionally, they constantly monitor pending procedures and requests from the client.’
Ontario Securities Commission
Pure Gold Mining
Anglo American Quellaveco
Hudbay Minerals / Hudbay Peru
Minera Aurífera Retamas
Trevali Mining Corporation
Minera Hampton Peru
Sierra Sun Group
Compañía Minera Zafranal
Volcan Compañía Minera
Compañía Minera Santa Inés y Morococha
Ministry of Energy and Mines
Thyssen Mining Construction of Canada
Fortescue Metals Group
- Advising Sierra Poli in connection with the acquisition of the Cobriza mine, handling the mining, corporate, bankruptcy and labour aspects.
- Acted as local counsel to Banco Santander and Bank of Nova Scotia, as joint lead arrangers and bookrunners, Banco BTG Pactual (Cayman Branch), Banco de Crédito del Perú and Banco Interamericano de Finanzas (BANBIF) as mandated lead arrangers and Banco Curacao Bank, Banco Internacional del Perú and Banco Pichincha as participants in a $300m senior, unsecured, term-loan facility granted to Volcan Compañía Minera.
- Acted as local counsel to Canadian mining company Trevali Mining Corporation on obtaining a $170m refinancing.
Deep expertise at Hernández & Cía. Abogados earns the firm an attractive bank of clients, including leading mining companies from home and abroad, namely Marcobre, Rio Tinto and Hudbay Perú. Fielding one of the largest teams in the market with 13 lawyers, the practice includes three specialist partners in Luis Rodríguez-Mariátegui, who brings over 20 years' mining M&A experience to the table; and Luis Felipe Huertas del Pino and Miyanou Dufour, who focus primarily on regulatory aspects. The team has been in demand during the past year advising mining companies on Covid-19 management, the sector having been particularly impacted by a host of new regulations and legislation. On the transactional front, mandates included advising Denham Capital on the reverse-sale of mining concessions of the Toropunto project to the Peruvian branch of SMC Toropunto. At associate level, senior Juan Pablo Macassi is very active in this field, particularly on the regulatory side.
Luis Rodríguez-Mariátegui; Luis Felipe Huertas del Pino; Miyanou Dufour
‘Well regarded mining practice for Peruvian issues. They are one of the best firms in Lima for mining-related work.’
‘Luis Rodriguez-Mariategui and Luis Felipe del Pino are both practical and capable mining lawyers.’
‘This is a solid team that provides comprehensive advice on matters of interest to the company.’
‘I have worked with Miyanou Doufur, Sebastian Saavedra and Javier Wong from the mining team. Miyanou has a lot of experience in environmental and regulatory issues in the sector, which allows her analysis to be very good, providing specialised advice on complex issues. Sebastian is a senior lawyer who assists us in consulting issues related to environmental permits and audits on social and environmental issues. Finally Javier is a lawyer with whom we see issues related to sanctioners.’
‘The team knows how to listen to its clients and provide them with the necessary support to solve problems, especially in time and cost. In addition, they have an excellent relationship with their clients. Compared to other firms, they are one of the best on the market.’
‘I must mention Luis Felipe Huertas and Miyanou Dofour – they are excellent people with extensive knowledge of the issues.’
Gold Fields La Cima
Rio Tinto (Rio Tinto Mining and Exploration and Rio Tinto Minera Perú)
Denham Capital Management
Sindicato Minero de Orcopampa
- Advised Denham Capital on the reverse-sale of the mining concessions of the Toropunto project to the Peruvian branch of SMC Toropunto.
- Advised several mining companies, including Rio Tinto Minera Perú, Marcobre and Gold Fields La Cima on regulatory-compliance matters related to Covid-19 prevention and management plans.
- Acting for Marcobre on mining and environmental regulatory compliance and permit matters related to the construction of the Mina Justa Project.
Miranda & Amado excels in corporate and finance transactions in the mining industry, but also provides a full-service offering that includes deep regulatory capability. The practice often works in tandem with the firm's tier one projects team to advise on the day-to-day operation of some of the largest mines in the country, such as Minera Chinalco Peru and Minera Las Bambas. Recent instructions include acting for Las Bambas on six leaseback and leasing facilities worth $105m in total, to be used to fund the operation of its mine in the Apurimac region in southern Peru. Clients benefit from two specialist mining law partners who remain directly involved or lead on the majority of mandates: head of practice Alberto Delgado, who focuses on transactional work within the sector; and Guillermo Bracamonte, who leads on commercial, transactions and regulatory mining matters. They are supported by a dependable second-line of five associates.
Alberto Delgado V.
‘Guillermo Bracamonte was very responsive and engaged. He responded quickly to all queries and his work was very timely under pressure.’
‘The practice is comprised of highly-skilled individuals offering exemplary service in multiple fields. The team works efficiently and provides great communication. They are prompt and dedicated to their craft.’
‘The individuals we have worked with from the firm have all been the utmost professionals. Their specific knowledge and know-how makes them leaders in their field.’
MCQ Copper (Mitsubishi Corporation)
Minera Las Bambas (MMG)
Great Panther Silver
Mitsubishi Materials Corporation
Compañía Minera Antapaccay (Glencore)
Red Citadel Resources
- Advising Minera Chinalco Peru on various aspects related to the operation of the Toromocho Mining Unit, such as regulatory matters and land management issues critical to its development.
- Assisted Minera Las Bambas with six leaseback and leasing facilities worth $105m in total, which will be used to fund the operation of its mine in the Apurimac region in southern Peru.
- Advising Great Panther on all its legal matters related to the development of its mining activities.
A strong, senior team at Rubio Leguía Normand is steered by seasoned mining lawyer Xennia Forno, a market leader with over 40 years’ experience, Diego Grisolle, who handles regulatory and commercial matters in relation to all extractive industries, and Emil Ruppert, who is less active on current matters but equally experienced. Consequently, the firm attracts significant industry players as clients, including Anglo American, Aluminum Corporation of China and Nexa Resources, while recent instructions included acting for Newmont Perú on the negotiation and execution with Minsur of several contracts for the development of five exploration projects. The firm is cultivating an effective junior bench that includes the much-praised principal associate Miguel Angel Soto, who advises on project management, including conflicts; and senior Nancy Ogata, a specialist in regulatory and administrative matters relating to the mining and hydrocarbon sectors. Orion Resources Partners and Kirkland Lake Gold are recent client gains. Since publication, Soto has been raised to the partnership - effective Janaury 2022.
Xennia Forno; Diego Grisolle; Emil Ruppert
‘Xennia Forno is very good, and Miguel Angel Soto is really excellent. They work very well together. They know the industry very well and provide dedicated services.’
‘They have an excellent service, attentive to all requirements and a prompt response.’
‘Experienced and efficient.’
‘Unique depth, breadth and experience of the team at RLN are their strengths, both in other areas of expertise and mining. Their contacts in and around the sector is a key component.’
‘Xennia Forno – experience and depth of professional contacts. Diego Grisolle – experience, knowledge to get things done in a timely fashion. Nancy Ogata – attention to detail, willingness to be in the field.’
Orion Resources Partners
Kirkland Lake Gold
Fortuna Silver Mines – Minera Bateas
Newmont Mining Corporation – Minera Yanacocha and Newmont Perú
Barrick Gold Corporation – Minera Barrick Misquichilca
Anglo American – Anglo American Quellaveco and Anglo American
Aluminum Corporation of China – Minera Chinalco Peru
Cerámica San Lorenzo
Sociendad Minera Austria Duvaz
- Acting for Abundia Minerals in the negotiation, drafting and implementation of their joint venture with Tyrex Ore and Minerals for the development of the Cerro Blanco project, one of the largest iron ore reserves in our country.
- Advising Pucará on various matters, including the listing of its shares on the Lima Stock Exchange; development of Tambos’ Project, where the client has executed an option agreement with Iamgold in order to consolidate its exploration activities there; and the development of another important project in Peru to execute exploration activities.
- Advised Newmont Perú on the negotiation and execution with Minsur of several contracts for the development of five exploration projects.
A well-established practice at Dentons Peru acts for a broad range of mining clients, both domestic and international, including Bear Creek Mining, Hoschild Mining and Rio2. Mandates typically comprise transactions and commercial agreements, as well as advising junior and medium-sized mining companies on project development and management. Other areas of expertise include social and environmental impact reports and other environmental issues. Well-known practitioner Fernando Pickmann is the sole partner of the practice and is highly experienced in this sector; he is distinguished for his expertise in advising start-up mining companies on their operations and raising finance through the capital markets. Senior associate Mario Chirinos is recommended and -since publication- has been raised to the partnership (effective Janaury 2022).
Inca One Gold
Oro X Mining
Bear Creek Mining
- Advised Globetrotters Resource Group on negotiation with Hudbay Minerals regarding an option agreement to purchase a 70% interest in the Cuajone NW mining project through the acquisition of 70% of shares in Globetrotters’ Peruvian subsidiary, Anka Resources.
- Advised Globetrotters Resource Group on negotiation with First Quantum Minerals regarding an option agreement to purchase a 75% interest in Cerro Blanco mining project through the acquisition of 75% of shares of Globetrotters’ Peruvian subsidiary, Urpi Resources.
- Advised Oro X Mining (formerly Western Pacific Resources) on negotiations with Titan Minerals and Compañía Minera Santa Carmela regarding the acquisition of a 100% interest in Coriorcco mining project and 85% interest in Las Antas mining project.
Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados has a strong track record of corporate transactions in the mining sector, but it is on the financing side that it shines. The firm typically acts for lenders in high-value and strategically key financings for major mining companies, recently acting for Banco de Crédito del Perú, Banco BBVA Perú and Itaú as lead arrangers on the refinancing of a 2016, $275m loan facility granted to Compañía de Minas Buenaventura. Corporate and finance partner José Cúneo has a specialist focus on mining and environmental areas and leads a team of four that includes experienced counsel Angel Chavez.
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Banco BBVA Perú
Gold Fields La Cima
Nexa Resources Peru
- Advised Banco de Crédito del Perú, Banco BBVA Perú, and Banco Itaú as lead arrangers on the refinancing of a 2016 $275m loan facility granted to Minas Buenaventura by extending current maturities at a reduced rate of interest, while improving other loan-related financial conditions.
- Advice to a syndicate of banks for a transitional agreement for the issuance by a group of entities of guarantee letters in favour of the Peruvian Tax Administration (SUNAT) and for the benefit of Compañía de Minas Buenaventura for a sum of up to P$2.15bn.
- Representing Gold Fields La Cima, a subsidiary of Gold Fields, on the extension until 2021 of the $150m senior, secured, revolving-credit facility obtained in 2017 from Banco de Crédito del Perú and Scotiabank Perú.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uria is able to advise on all key pillars of the mining industry, from corporate transactions and investment through to project management, regulatory and commercial contracts. While big-ticket financings and M&A are the mainstay of the practice, it continues to expand its advisory work, and is acting for key client BHP Biliton in this regard. Practice head Rafael Lengua is highly praised by clients, particularly for M&A involving the sector, and notably has in-house experience within the industry. Support is provided by multidisciplinary partners where needed, while associates focusing on this area include senior Roberto Velarde and intermediate Mitzy Longa.
‘A strong, dedicated team that mixes a good balance of regulatory and commercial knowledge.’
‘Rafael Lengua is a lawyer who is always available, with whom one can achieve a fluid and trustworthy relationship. He has excellent knowledge of both regulatory and commercial issues related to mining. He is also fluent in English. The firm differs from its competitors in the dedication that it places on the matters they are entrusted with, the fluidity and confidence that one manages to have with it, and the commercial and business orientation with which it handles the work.’
‘Strong points: understanding of the mining business and mining laws and regulations in Peru. Also, deep relationships with government officials and other mining companies.’
‘Immediate responsiveness of partners, and doing what they say they will by the date they say. Rafael Lengua is our main contact.’
The Mosaic Company
Compañía Minera Miski Mayo
BHP Billiton World Exploration (sucursal del Peru)
Nexa Resources Peru
Resource Capital Funds
Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC)
Compañía Minera Quechua
Pan Pacific Copper
Mitsui Mining and Smelting Co (sucursal del Peru)
- Advised JOGMEC on the drafting, negotiation and execution of a binding letter of agreement with Hannan Metals for an option and joint venture to develop the San Martin Copper-Silver Project.
- Acted as local counsel to Bank of Nova Scotia on a second amended and restated credit agreement with Trevali Mining for an up-to-$150m, first lien, secured revolving credit facility.
- Advised Resource Capital Funds on a senior secured convertible debenture financing to Element 29 Resource.
García Sayán Abogados has an impressive following of mining companies, including some traditional majors such as Volcán Compañía Minera, Compañía de Minas Buenaventura and Compañía Minera Coimolache. It specialises in day-to-day advice on the commercial, contractual and regulatory aspects of mining activity, particularly the negotiation of contracts for exploration and exploitation, and also advises on issues related to peasant communities. Key contacts at the firm are Jose Miguel Morales, who is a commercial and mining law specialist, and corporate partner Edgardo Portaro. Three associates complete the team, among whom is María Soledad Gastañeta, who is very active in this field.
José Miguel Morales; Edgardo Portaro
Volcán Compañía Minera
Compañía de Minas Buenaventura
Compañía Minera Coimolache
Minera La Zanja
Sociedad Minera El Brocal
Corporación Aceros Arequipa
Contratistas San Martín Generales
- Advising Compañía de Minas Buenaventura on the administrative procedures for obtaining explosives authorisations.
- Acting for Compañía Minera Coimolache on the administrative procedures for obtaining storage, purchase and use of explosives authorisations to be issued by the National Superintendence of Security Services, Weapons, Ammunition and Explosives Control (SUCAMEC).
- Acting for Compañía Minera Buenaventura on its registration as the general manager of the legal entity named Blenda Rubia N° 14 from Huancavelica.
Natural resources and environmental boutique Kahatt Abogados is building a credible mining practice since opening its doors at the start of 2020. It advises medium to artisanal mining players on mining options, leases, joint ventures and other contractual matters, as well as handling health and safety and environmental issues, among others. Founding partner Karim Kahatt has over 20 years' experience advising extractive industries on environmental matters and health and safety. He leads a team of four lawyers, among whom senior associate Boris Pacheco is highlighted for his experience in the sector. The team recently advised El Dorado Resources on the resumption its activities at the La Virgen Mine.
‘It is a good team; they know the mining, social and environmental business. They are fast and with lower costs than other quality firms.‘
‘Karim Kahatt is one of the best lawyers in environmental and mining law in Peru. He is quick, sharp and detailed in his evaluation.’
El Dorado Resources
Vicuñita Minerals – Invicta Project
Battery One Royalties
- Advised El Dorado Resources on the resumption of activities, including evaluating the status of the project and carrying out a due diligence regarding each mining concession related to La Virgen Mine.
- Acting for Battery One Royalties on the analysis of the origins and status of different mining concessions according to the interest and the client’s strategy.
- Advising Corisur Peru on the drafting of transfer contracts for various mining concessions whereby Corisur Peru, as a mining owner, would transfer five mining concessions in favour of Magma Minerals.
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados takes a multidisciplinary approach to mining work, offering clients appropriate expertise from across the firm steered by corporate partner Daniel Palomino, who has a particular focus on the industry. Another key figure is senior associate Tony Bustamante, a former in-house lawyer at both Gold Fields La Cima and the Peruvian Environmental Protection Agency, who leads on matters related to environmental mining sanctioning procedures. Dynacor Gold Mines is a principal client of the practice, which advised it on activities related to both its gold and silver mines, recently; on the financing side, the team acts for Citigroup and Bank of Nova Scotia.
Bank Of Nova Scotia
Industrial And Commercial Bank Of China
AP Moller Maersk / APM Terminals Callao
Marsh & Mclennan Companies / Marsh Rehder
Rio Blanco Copper
Cementos Bio Bio / ICBB Peru
Dynacor Gold Mines / Minera Veta Dorada
Grupo Calidra / Calquipa
Atlas International Vault And Safe Deposit Boxes (Panama)
AMEC Foster Wheeler Peru
- Acting for Brazilian cement company Votorantim Cimentos on the management of their mining concessions around the country, including its legal and administrative obligations and commitments.
- Providing mining and corporate legal advice to Dynacor Gold Mines on its project to expand its processing activities in northern Peru; the work included assessing the regulatory, mining and environmental aspects involved in this new gold plant.
- Advising Dynacor Gold Mines on its exploration silver mining project named Tumipampa Sur, located in the Apurimac region.