Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano Abogados offers clients ‘excellent industry knowledge and contacts’ and ‘always delivers a high-quality product on time’. It is the pre-eminent practice for corporate instructions in the mining industry, handling M&A, privatisations and financing work, along with administrative proceedings, construction and operational matters, and environmental issues. Practice head Luis Carlos Rodrigo Prado is one of the best-known lawyers in the mining industry; he sits on the board of various major mining companies and is recommended for corporate and financing work. Oscar Benavides advises on the structuring and negotiation of exploration, development and exploitation contracts, and delivers work that is ‘way above and beyond any expectations’. Francisco Barrios and Francisco Tong are also key practitioners, alongside Claudio Ferrero, who is a name to note for corporate, contractual and general mining matters. At associate level, Diego Pachas is recommended for regulatory issues, while Karen Flores joined as associate from an in-house role at the Peruvian environment agency Organismo de Evaluación y Fiscalización Ambiental (OEFA).
Mining in Peru
Luis Carlos Rodrigo
‘Oscar Benavides is very good at negotiations, he knows how to guide transactions towards reaching agreements, he does not complicate issues, but on the contrary, he makes the difficult easy‘.
‘Oscar Benavides takes the trouble to get to know the company, its policies, procedures, and what interests him about the business, etc. That helps a lot in mining transactions‘.
‘Excellent knowledgeable partners who advise on legal matters and business matters‘.
‘Excellent industry knowledge and contacts‘.
‘Excellent communication and they always deliver a high quality product on time‘.
‘Available after hours, on weekends; the service is extraordinary.’
‘Oscar Benavides is the partner who either provides all of our services or maintains a presence even when another partner is providing specialised services; Oscar’s client service is way above and beyond any expectations we could have‘.
Cerro de Pasco Resources (Peu branch).
Sociedad Minera Reliquias
Barrick Gold Corporation
Minera Barrick Perú
Cumbres del Sur
Southern Peru Copper Corporation, Sucursal del Peru
Cerro de Pasco (Peru branch)
Compañia Minera Antamina
Southern Peru Copper Corporation (Peru branch)
Nexa Resources El Porvenir
Barrick Gold Corporation
- Advised Cerro de Pasco Resources (Peru branch) and Cerro de Pasco Resources on the acquisition of a 100% equity stake in Trevali Peru, which is the titleholder of the Santander polymetallic mine.
- Advised the shareholders of Sociedad Minera Reliquias on the sale of a controlling interest in the company to Silver Mountain Resources.
- Advised Trident Royalties on the acquisition of copper royalties over the Pukaqaqa copper project in Peru from Orion Resource Partners.
CMS Grau has a broad mining practice which encompasses expertise in M&A, project development, contentious issues and divestments, and is very much the "go-to" practice for property-rights issues in the mining sector. Moreover, as an international firm, it is well placed to handle domestic, regional and international mandates by virtue of its global network and unsuprisingly acts for a strong roster of high-profile local and global clients. Cecilia Gonzáles heads the team and has noteworthy corporate and regulatory expertise in the natural resources and the extractive industries; she also handles tax and project planning matters. Liliana Pautrat handles the exploration, exploitation, processing and transportation aspects of mining activities, and has previously held the position of president of the Mining Council of the Ministry of Energy and Mines. A second line of younger partners includes Marité Aragaki, who is the name to note for regulatory matters, and procurement and construction for the extractive industries; and Raúl Ferreyra, another key practitioner, who brings his experience as in-house counsel for a large international mining company to the team.
Anacortes Mining Corp
Copperex Resources Corp
Jex technologies Corp
Mountain Minerals Perú
Goldfields La Cima
Solaris Resources (Formerly Lowell Copper)
Nexa Resources Perú
Sumitomo Metals Mining Perú
Minera Las Bambas
Compañía de Minas Buenaventura
Wheaton Precious Metals Corp
Compañía Minera Santa Luisa
Compañía Minera Lincuna
Humon Latin America
Osisko Gold Royalties
Franco Nevada Corporation
- Advising Macusani Yellowcake, a subsidiary of Plateau Energy Metals, on the defence of 32 of its mining titles against forfeiture attempted by the Peruvian mining authorities.
- Assisted Franco Nevada with the negotiation and closing of a secured precious metals stream on production from the Condestable mine in Peru, for an up-front payment of $165m.
- Assisted Osisko Gold Royalties with the negotiation of its strategic partnership deal with Regulus Resources; the company’s AntaKori Project comprises existing royalties over various mining concessions.
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
‘Pro-active in solving problems’, the natural resources and environmental team at Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International handles the investment, development and operational stages of mining projects. Its key areas of focus include M&A, project finance and financing transactions, as well as regulatory and contentious issues. The team, which has recently been handling Covid-19-related matters and assisting clients with legal mechanisms to defend their investments from perceived threats from the new government, created a Legal Matrix tool in 2021, which allows clients to quickly identify the regulatory obligations applicable to their operations. Valentín Paniagua heads the practice and is the name to note for corporate mining transactions, while Ina María Drago assists clients with the start-up and development of natural resources projects. Senior associate Claudia Pacora has extensive experience in mining sector M&A and associated due diligence operations and documentation; while younger associate Cinthya Delgado De La Flor advises on administrative procedures and sanctioning and legal audits in relation to the natural resources sector. Since publication, Drago has moved to Cuatrecasas – effective as of July 2023.
Valentín Paniagua Jara
‘The staff skill set is deep enough to use them as a one stop shop for all my company’s legal needs‘.
‘Pro-active in solving problems’.
‘Unlimited availability and professionalism in mining issues‘.
Sociedad Minera Austria Duvaz
Ocim Precious Metals
Minera Aurífera Retamas
Trevali Mining Corporation
Anglo American Quellaveco
Fortescue Metals Group
Sierra Sun Group
Volcan Compañía Minera
Minera Hampton Peru
Banco de Crédito del Perú (BCP)
Scotiabank del Perú
Credicorp Capital Servicios Financieros
CABA Logistics and Mining Services
- Acted as Peruvian counsel to Banco BTG Pactual (Cayman branch), Citigroup Global Markets, and Santander Investment Securities, as initial purchasers and joint bookrunners, in connnection with Volcan Compañía Minera’s offer, issuance and sale of its 4.38% senior notes (due 2026) for an aggregate principal amount of $475m under Rule 144A/Reg.S of the Securities Act of 1933.
- Advised Trevali Mining Corporation and Trevali Peru in the due diligence and negotiation of a share purchase agreement with Cerro De Pasco Resources pursuant to which TMC agreed to sell its Santander Mine in Peru to CDPR by way of a sale of all the shares held by TMC in its Peruvian subsidiary, Trevali Peru.
- Prepared a legal matrix for Anglo American Quellaveco, allowing the client to properly identify all legal obligations, such as permits and license renewals, and reporting obligations applicable to all components of various projects.
Hernández & Cía provides ‘excellent customer service, empathy and honesty’ to a high-profile domestic and international clientele that incudes the likes of Gold Fields, Rio Tinto, Mitsui Mining and Hudbay Perú. With a strong track record in mining industry-related M&A, the practice also handles financing, permitting, compliance, tax and litigation matters. It is co-led by an experienced trio of partners comprising Luis Rodríguez-Mariátegui, Luis Felipe Huertas del Pino and Miyanou Dufour. Rodríguez-Mariátegui has considerable experience in mining arbitration, and also handles environmental and corporate mandates; Huertas del Pino handles regulatory and development matters; and Dufour is the name to note for regulatory matters. Key support is provided by senior associate Juan Pablo Macassi , who focuses on administrative, mining and environmental law.
Luis Rodríguez-Mariátegui; Luis Felipe Huertas del Pino; Miyanou Dufour
‘The offers professionals who establish a strong relationship with the users in the attention of the different queries, processes and follow-up‘.
‘Lawyers are characterised by immediate attention to the cases raised‘.
‘Total disposition to the requirements of the company’.
‘The knowledge, experience and decision of the team’.
‘Excellent customer service, empathy and honesty’.
Compañía Minera Antamina
Rio Tinto Minera Perú
Gold Fields La Cima
Santa Luisa (Mitsui Mining)
Sindicato Minero Orcopampa
Compañía Minera Antapaccay
Azincourt Energy Corp
- Advised Denham Capital on (i) the implementation of transfer and lease agreements from Minera Maria Cecilia (a wholly-owned subsidiary of Denham Capital) toSMC Toropunto, so as to divide the properties at the Toropunto project and (ii) review and implementation in Peru of the agreements on the acquisition of the shares of Minera Maria Cecilia and the rendering of a title opinion upon the the mine’s concessions.
- Advised Marcobre on the regulatory planning for obtaining the mining permits necessary to implement the optimisations and modifications required for the beginning of operations of the Mina Justa mining unit.
- Advised Azincourt Energy on the incorporation of its Peruvian subsidiary for the implementation of the purchase by Minera Rosetta of the mining concessions that are part of the Escalera-Lituania-Condorlit uranium and lithium project.
Miranda & Amado’s mining team is ‘attentive to details, has very good English language skills, and is practical and good at explaining complex legal issues’. Sitting within the firm’s wider projects practice, the team advises clients on land management issues, environmental matters, community relations, water rights and zoning issues, as well high-profile M&A and financing work. Head of practice Alberto Delgado has over 24 years’ experience in mining law and is well versed in corporate and commercial matters. Fellow partner Guillermo Bracamonte is a key practitioner who has considerable experience in high-profile mining transactions and environmental and regulatory proceedings. At associate level, Cynthia Rebaza handles investment advisory for both local and foreign companies regarding Peruvian mining projects. However, former associate David Baracco moved to Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas in April 2022.
Alberto Delgado V
‘W get partner-level attention and are made to feel as if we are a large client‘.
‘Attentive to details, very good English, practical and good at explaining complex legal issues‘.
‘Alberto Delgado and Guillermo Bracamonte provide an excellent service; they are very professional but friendly at the same time. It makes us very comfortable to work with them‘.
‘One of the best known firms in Peru‘.
‘Probably the best in the energy and mining sectors‘.
‘Guillermo Bracamonte has excellent international expertise‘.
Minera Chinalco Perú (subsidiary of Chinalco)
Great Panther Silver
Red Citadel Resources
MCQ Copper LTD (Mitsubishi Corporation)
Apurimac Ferrum (Strike Resources subsidiary)
Mitsubishi Materials Corporation
Compañía Minera Antapaccay – Glencore
Minera Las Bambas (MMG)
Silver Mountain Resources
Empress Royalty Corp
Bank of America Corporation
Banco Santander Perú
- Advising Minera Chinalco Peru on an important mining project in Peru.
- Advising Great Panther on legal matters relating to the development of its mining activities.
- Advising Apurimac Ferrum on compliance with mining and environmental regulations and the analysis of new projects and investment opportunities.
Rubio Leguía Normand is ‘very strong and diversified in the mining sector’ and offers ‘considerable experience in helping international exploration companies navigate the legal system’; indeed, the team handles the full life cycle of mining projects, from prospecting to development and operation, and has particular experience in permitting, environmental, financing and corporate matters. The group is led by a strong, senior team consisting of mining specialist Xennia Forno who brings over 40 years’ experience and a focus on planning and procurement to the practice; Diego Grisolle, who handles regulatory and commercial matters in relation to all the extractive industries, and Emil Ruppert, who is less active on current matters but equally experienced. Key younger practitioners include Miguel Angel Soto, who was promoted to partner in December 2021 and is recommended for acquisitions and divestments, and compliance and regulatory matters. Senior associate Nancy Ogata is also deeply experienced in international transactional matters in the sector.
Xennia Forno; Diego Grisolle; Emil Ruppert
‘The mining team has demonstrated great management, knowledge and experience in legal issues related to mining activity‘.
‘Great ability to carry out different tasks that I have not seen in other offices‘.
‘The team has a wide portfolio of services (such as the preparation of all kinds of contracts related to mining activity, audits, specialised consulting, due diligence, permits, training, among others), gets involved with the client, their needs and performs a pro-active job‘.
‘They propose creative solutions‘.
‘They keep us informed of the latest developments and are aware at all times that legal issues are useful for the company’s operational purposes‘.
‘In terms of billing, they always adapt to the needs of the client and give us alternatives’.
‘Another important issue to keep in mind is that currently, and for a few years now, the team is made up of 50% women‘.
‘The identification of the lawyers with the goals and objectives of the company and the willingness they have to attend to our matters is a hallmark of the team‘.
Orion Resources Partners
Kirkland Lake Gold
Pucara Gold – Pucara Resources
Fortuna Silver Mines – Minera Bateas
Newmont Mining Corporation – Minera Yanacocha and Newmont Perú
Barrick Gold – Minera Barrick Misquichilca
Anglo American – Anglo American Quellaveco and Anglo American Perú
Aluminum Corporation of China – Minera Chinalco Peru
Cerámica San Lorenzo (Grupo Lamosa)
Sociedad Minera Austria Duvaz
Minera Toro de Plata – Kuya Silver
Compañía Minera Condestable
Compañía Minera Santa Luisa
- Advising Minera Toro de Plata on obtaining all the mining permits required to build, develop, and start operations of its Santa Elena Mining Project and Bethania Benefit Plant.
- Engaged by Compañia Minera Santa Luisa to provide ongoing legal advice for its “Huanzalá”, mining unit with respect to mining and environmental matters.
- Advised Hartree Metals Peru on the negotiation, preparation, and execution of two important contracts: transportation of mineral concentrates and port services which are key to the development of its trading activities.
Dentons Peru focuses on the corporate side of mining work, advising on M&A, takeovers, share listings on the Lima and Toronto Stock Exchanges, the subscription of options, assignment of contractual position agreements and formation of joint ventures. Demonstrating the firm’s cross-border capabilities, it’s clients are frequently based in Canada, such as Candente Copper Corp – of which partner Mario Chirinos is the regional manager – Maverix Metals and Mich Resources. Fernando Pickmann heads the team, advising mining start-ups on raising finances and senior companies on acquisitions and sales. Mining, M&A and securities specialist Chirinos was raised to the partnership in January 2022; he and Pickmann co-led advice on Canadian Oro X Mining Corp’s acquisition of Peruvian Mines and Metals Trading, forming Silver X Mining Corp. Associate Ana Paula Saavedra Aranda focuses on due diligence, structuring transactions and negotiating agreements.
Element 29 Resources
Silver X Mining
Inca One Gold
Copper Resources Group
Bear Creek Mining
- Advised on a business combination agreement in which Oro X Mining Corp acquired 100% of the issued and outstanding shares of Mines and Metals Trading (Peru), creating Silver X Mining Corp.
- Counsel and elaboration of title opinion to Silver X Mining Corp to complete its initial public offering of the ‘Recuperada’ mining project on the Toronto Stock Exchange for $11m.
- Advised of the title opinion of Chakana Resources Corp’s Peruvian subsidiary.
Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados frequently advises on financing for mining projects, counselling both the recipient mining companies and the lending financial institutions. Lead partner José Cúneo recently led the team advising the underwriters on Minsur’s issuance of notes worth $5oom and financing worth $300m; and also assisted multiple banks with guarantee letters for Compañía de Minas Buenaventura. Beyond financial matters, the practice handles all legal aspects relevant for mining activities, including titling and real estate, environmental and social aspects, regulatory compliance, project development and construction, and tax and labour issues. Other matters saw counsel Angel Chavez assist the team that undertook the purchase of the Lagunas Norte gold mine by Boroo Pte, involving a corporate reorganisation of the target company.
‘Technical knowledge and experience of the team in relation to mining legal issues. The prompt response to our requests is also something to highlight about the office’.
Minera Boroo Misquichilca
Gold Fields La Cima
Volcan Compañia Minera
Sociedad Minera Corona
Vale Exploration Perú
- Acted as Peruvian counsel to the underwriters in connection with (1) a tender offer for the US-dollar 6.250% senior notes (due 2024), issued by Minsur; and (2) the issuance by Minsur of $500m new US dollar-denominated 4.500% senior notes (due 2031), pursuant to Rule 144A/Reg.S of the US Securities Act.
- Advising on the sale by Barrick Gold Corporation of the Lagunas Norte gold mine, located in the La Libertad province of Peru, to Boroo Pte, through the sale of 100% of the shares of Minera Barrick Misquichilca.
- Advised Volcan Compañía Minera in connection with an offering by Volcan of $475m of its 4.375% notes (due 2026), and a concurrent offer by the cmpany to purchase for cash up to $125m of its 5.375% notes (due 2022).
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uria's mining practice gained two new Canadian clients in 2021, advising Tier One Silver on its acquisition of silver project Hurricane East and Sombrero Resources on its acquisition of copper and nickel project Hurricane West. Both acquisitions involved cross-border advice on tax efficiencies and were led by practice head Rafael Lengua, aided by associate Sergio Cueva. The firm also counts BHP Billiton World Exploration (Peru branch) as a longstanding client, acting for it on two project dispositions, as well as advising on land purchases and providing regulatory counsel. Additional areas of experience include contract negotiations - such as advising Compañía Minera Miski Mayo on its natural gas agreements; and the defence of rights - such as the team's successful action on behalf of Winshear del Peru, overturning an arbitrary decision by the registrar of Arequipa not to register an NSR royalty; senior associate Romina Stucchi and associate Mitzy Longa assisted on these cases, respectively. Former senior associate Roberto Velarde moved in house at Nexa Resources in January 2022. However, since research concluded, the natural resources practice as a whole has been substantially boosted with the hire of water law specialist Julián Li and his team (principal associate Luis Aliaga, senior associate Sandra Bravo, and junior Gabriela Puccio) from the former Li & Pazos Abogados, substantially broadening the practice group’s depth and scope (effective as of August 2022).
‘Organisation of the team, led by Mr Rafael Lengua, is sophisticated. Our complex request for legal advice was divided into components for being treated by his team members. The description of the situation with background legal information and options we can choose were clearly mentioned with easy-to-understand language for non-legal persons’.
‘Mr Rafael Lengua’s ability to make a team is not only for his internal staff but also for international situations. He arranged communication with our Canadian legal counsel to find clues of international issues, and we could receive their well-considered outcome’.
‘This practice is well-connected to the critical business and governmental networks in Peru and can obtain critical information rapidly, putting us in direct communication with key people’.
‘Rafael Lengua’s understanding of business stands out – he is very practical in cutting to the most important issues first’.
BHP Billiton World Exploration (Peru branch)
Compañía Minera Miski Mayo
The Mosaic Company
Nexa Resources Peru
JX Nippon Mining & Metals
Tier One Silver
Japan, Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation (JOGMEC)
Compañía Minera Quechua
Pan Pacific Copper
- Counseled BHP Billiton World Exploration (Peru branch) on the divestment of its approx. 30,000-hectare Silvia exploration project in central Peru to Darwin Peru, a Peruvian subsidiary of Canadian Tinka Resources.
- Advised Miski Mayo, one of the biggest consumers of natural gas in Peru, on the negotiation and drafting of its natural gas supply agreement with producer Olympic Perú.
- Advised Canadian junior mining company, Tier One, on its earn-in option to acquire 90% or 100% of the Hurricane east project in Cusco from Pembrook Copper Corp in exchange for expenditures on the mining properties and a share purchase price on the option exercise.
GSA is adept at handling the negotiations for financing and acquisitions for mining companies as well as exploration and exploitation contracts, with recent matters including advice to longstanding clients Southern Peaks Mining on obtaining a multimillion-dollar loan and Compañía Minera Condestable on the ongoing discussions for a potential acquisition. The firm also gained San Juan Gold Mines as a new client, with which it is working on a lease agreement and a reorganisation procedure. Edgardo Portaro led on all recent work (frequently acting in conjunction with the firm’s corporate and tax teams), and leads the practice alongside Jose Miguel Morales. Senior associate María Soledad Gastañeta specialises in mining and energy contracts. The practice group also handles day-to-day advice on the commercial, contractual and regulatory aspects of mining activity, and undertakes advisory regarding issues related to indigenous and other communities.
Jose Miguel Morales; Edgardo Portaro
Volcán Compañía Minera
Compañía de Minas Buenaventura
Compañía Minera Coimolache
Minera La Zanja
Sociedad Minera El Brocal
Corporación Aceros Arequipa
Contratistas San Martín Generales
Compañía Minera Condestable
Southern Peaks Mining
San Martín Contratistas Generales
San Juan Gold Mines
Vulco Peru (Weir Minerals)
Opening its doors in 2020 and specialised in natural resources and environmental work, Kahatt Abogados regularly handles work for subsidiaries of Canadian gold exploration giant Auryn Resources (now Fury Gold Mines), including registering a transfer between two subsidiaries, advising on permits and handling the dissolution of a company. In other recent work, the practice used its environmental specialism to represent El Dorado Resources in an administrative sanctioning procedure before environmental control authority OEFA. More generally, it advises medium and artisanal mining players on mining options, leases, joint ventures and other contractual matters, as well as handling health and safety and environmental issues, among other matters. Practice head Karim Kahatt has a primary focus on extractive industries; while fellow partner Cecilia Azerrad and senior associate Boris Pacheco both combining mining know-how with strong expertise in environmental matters.
‘What we liked the most about Kahatt Abogados is the flexibility and versatility they had for the service they provided us. They showed a special interest in generating knowledge for the improvement of environmental policy in Peru. Thus, more than once they went beyond what was requested in the service‘.
‘ Cecilia Azerrad with Boris Pacheco were always available for any questions or comments we had. Likewise, they showed skill in dealing with the beneficiaries of the service, handling themselves well in the presentation and presenting robust documents‘.
El Dorado Resources
- Advised El Dorado Resources on the resumption of activities at La Virgen Mining Unit, including an administrative sanctioning procedure initiated by OEFA for alleged non-compliance with the preventive measures impoed upon the previous owner of La Virgen Mining Unit.
- Advised DAI Global on the legal framework applicable to the gold trade, identifying the obligations, licences, and records applicable to the value chain required for gold buyers from artisanal and small-scale mining.
- Advised Magma Minerals on the registration of its mining concessions transfer contract in the Public Registry, including advising on the location of strategic areas for the expansion of its activities and identifying the necessary permits for the development of its mining activities, according with the mining legal framework.
At Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados, practice head Daniel Palomino leads advice to mining companies -such as Dynacor Gold Mines and Fresnillo- on obtaining permits, property rights and exploration authorisations, as well as defending these rights against illegal extractive activity. The team provides regulatory advice on environmental and health and safety legislation, and represents clients in disputes - such as a recent tax dispute for Dynacor and an administrative sanctioning procedure for Fresnillo. Another area of experience is due diligence on Peruvian mining projects for international clients, such as Chinese insurance client SINOSURE and UAE mining company Fura Gems. Key senior associate, Tony Bustamante - a former in-house lawyer at both Gold Fields La Cima and the Peruvian Environmental Protection Agency - has 'vast knowledge in mining issues' and leads on matters related to environmental mining sanctioning procedures.
‘It is unfailingly clear to take into consideration that the development of teamwork is constituted as a fundamental piece, in order to achieve the objectives set. The extensive knowledge that is handled, as well as the technology that is provided to carry out the assignments, are key components that maintain the high standards of the office’.
‘The great knowledge, and wide disposition towards the rest of the workers, regarding the tasks that are carried out in the office. The efficiency with which the activities are carried out, as well as the results obtained, are the differentials that trigger the firm’s standing out from its competitors’.
‘Tony Bustamante and Daniel Palomino are magnanimous references of perseverance and commitment, materialised in day-to-day praxis’.
‘The team led by the lawyer Daniel Palomino provides us with an excellent service with availability of time, correct responses to the queries sent, very good use of technology’.
‘Daniel Palomino Seguín has legal knowledge, availability, speed, assertiveness, empathy, diligence, leadership. Tony Bustamante Torres has legal knowledge, availability, speed, assertiveness, empathy, diligence. Marco Pereda Zevallos has legal knowledge, availability, speed, assertiveness, empathy, diligence’.
‘A team always attentive to our needs. They act quickly on our queries.’
‘Tony Bustamante is proactive, always ready to answer our queries’.
‘The firm has a good team dedicated to this practice. Very willing to help the client and they have been fast and extremely efficient’.
China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation – SINOSURE (China)
Fura Gems Inc. (United Arab Emirates)
Auplata Mining Group (France)
UNACEM S.A.A. (Peru)
Cerámica Lima S.A. (Peru)
Dynacor Gold Mines (Canada)
Fresnillo PLC (Mexico)
Orica Mining Services (Australia)
Votorantim Cimentos (Brazil)
Cementos Bio Bio (Chile)
China Railway (China)
San Martin Contratistas Generales S.A.
Grupo Calidra (Mexico)
Terminal Internacional del Sur S.A.
Terminal Portuario Paracas S.A.
Metco Trading S.A.C. (Peru)
Glore Perú S.A.
Rio Blanco Copper S.A.
- Advised China Export & Credit Insurance Corporation – SINOSURE on performing a due diligence report over a world-class mining project, in order to insure a syndicated loan up to US$741m for its expansion.
- Advised Dynacor Gold Mines on several environmental and mining regulatory issues to increase the capacity of the processing plant ‘Veta Dorada’, and expand its operations in Northern Peru and the exploration project Tumipampa Sur.
- Advised Fresnillo on obtaining the authorisations for four exploration mining projects, which included four prior consultation processes with indigenous communities in accordance with the 169 ILO Convention.
Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas
Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas mining pracitce is primarily focused on transactional and financing matters, often with a cross-border element since clients are frequently based in Canada or the US. Pracitce head and key figure, Luis Miguel Elías, leads on all mandates, often aided by banking and finance, capital markets and M&A colleagues. Recent transactional work includes advising Empresa Minera Los Quenuales on its sale of a mining unit; and assisting Glencore Canada Corporation,-as secured creditor and off-taker- on Trevali Mining Corporation sale of its Santander mine. Recent financing work involves obtaining a multimillion-dollar term loan credit agreement for borrower RiverMet Resource Capital (with Pandion Mine Finance as guarantor), and advising Hudbay Minerals and its Peruvian subsidiary on a $600m notes offering, as well as working with both Hudbay and Volcan Compañía Minera to increase their financing. The practice also takes on some regulatory work, recently counselling Nexa Resources group on the integration of two mining units. Key support is provided by associates Josefina Arana and Alejandra Galvez on the transactional and projects aspects of the practice, respectively; however, specialised senior associate Carolina Meneses left the firm in September 2021.
Luis Miguel Elías
‘High quality of legal advice, commerciality and responsiveness‘.
Glencore International / Glencore Canada Corp / Glencore Peru
Nexa Resources Peru / Nexa Resources / Nexa Resources Atacocha
Hudbay Minerals Inc / Hudbay Peru
Pandion Mine Finance / Elevation Gold
Empresa Minera Los Quenuales
Volcan Compañía Minera
Compañía Minera Antapaccay
Scotiabank / Scotia Capital
- Advising Nexa Resources group on the integration of two underground mining units via new infrastructure and a tunnel.
- Advising a client on the potential increase of its participation in the Peruvian zinc business, which would imply the segregation of its zinc mining investments from other non-mining projects.
- Advised Elevation Gold and Pandion Mine Finance, as beneficiaries, on the net smelter return mining royalty entered into with the Peruvian miner Invicta Mining Corp; the mining royalty was granted and encumbers the concession rights to a gold mining project located in Huaura in the Central Coast of Peru.