Employment in North West
Brabners LLP enjoys a strong reputation for assisting high-profile clients with complex Employment Tribunal work and injunctions, while the practice also features a day-to-day HR support offering. The 'exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful' team provides advice to both employers and high-net-worth employees and executives. Lydia Edgar, the Manchester practice head, advised Leicester City FC on the exit of manager Claude Puel and his backroom staff and the subsequent appointment of Brendan Rodgers and his team. Simon Whitehead rejoined the firm in 2019 as head of recruitment. Nick Campbell heads the Liverpool team, which includes Kate Venables, who in 2019 was promoted to partner.
‘Lydia Edgar is a true business partner and has truly protected our company.’
‘The team at Brabners, collectively, has many years of experience and a breadth of employment knowledge with a wide range of clients across many industry sectors.’
‘Having worked with Brabners for a number of years as a HR Professional across different organisations, I have built trusted relationships within the team. I would like to specifically mention two Brabners partners: Joseph Shelston and Kate Venables, who are clearly role models in their field and are a credit to their organisation.’
‘My organisation requires specialist employment law advice in quite complex and niche areas, and the team at Brabners is exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful.’
‘Simon Whitehead is exceptionally helpful and always takes a very sensible approach to whatever situation I find myself in.’
‘Response times to client quick, regular and interim updates always forthcoming. Very client-focused in terms of good commercial outcomes. A tremendous pool of knowledge across the entire gamut of legal queries, particularly around employment law with an eye for pragmatic advice.’
‘Joseph Shelston is down to earth and wants to know about the organisation and how it ticks to deliver precise legal solutions. He will also give a more cogent commercial set of options and potential outcomes (placing his advice firmly in the context of the organisation).’
JD Wetherspoon plc
Liverpool Football Club & Athletic Grounds Ltd
The Very Group
Nando’s Chickenland Limited
Leicester City Football Club
Travelodge Hotels Limited
Peel Ports Ltd
Riverside Group Limited (Housing Association)
Boccard UK Limited
The Employment Agents Movement
Chase de Vere IF Group plc
Lawn Tennis Association
- Advised Sheffield Wednesday on the exit of Steve Bruce and the appointment of Garry Monk; and Barnsley FC on the exit of manager Daniel Stendel.
- Advising JD Wetherspoon Plc on policy in relation to transsexual and other non-binary colleagues.
- Advising Nando’s on all aspects of the day to day management of its workforce, on grievances, and on strategic-level workforce planning and recruitment, as well as representing them in all employment tribunal claims.
DAC Beachcroft LLP
Jointly led by Philip Harman and Deborah Hely, the Manchester team at DAC Beachcroft LLP specialises in High Court injunctions, responding to HMRC investigations and minimum wage audits, as well as employee status cases. The firm has been building a reputation in the region as a go-to practice for gig economy matters. Its blue-chip client base spans the logistics, retail and leisure sectors. Known for handling issues with an international element, it also has expertise in large reorganisations, complex Employment Tribunal claims, and TUPE matters. A name to note is associate Richard Kay.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are very responsive to our needs, they tailor their responses to us and know our organisation, understanding our challenges and limitations – this helps as they give very practical advice and solutions. We have a small team who support us, so we have great rapport with them. They are very accessible.’
‘Deborah Hely and Richard Kay gave a huge amount of practical and emotional support during a very difficult restructuring project. They were available whenever was needed and flexed working to help identify the right solutions. Knowing they were available as needed gave great reassurance.’
‘Very commercial in approach as well as being practical.’
Bentley Motors Limited
Royal British Legion
National Union of Students
Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council
Places for People Group Limited
Williams Lea Limited / Tag Europe Limited
Fircroft Engineering Services Limited
Hydes’ Brewery Limited
James Halstead plc
Lewis Home Retail t/a TJ Hughes
National Union of Students
Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council
Salford Van Hire
Plastipak UK Ltd
Broderick Group Limited
Bullhorn International Limited
Chubb Insurance of Europe SE
City of Wolverhampton College
Clean Tech UK Limited
- Assisted the Royal British Legion on a large scale restructure, which involved over a 100 employees and a formal collective redundancy exercise across the UK.
- As the sole employment law advisers to McDonald’s in the UK, the firm provided strategic advice on the implications of Brexit, as well as day-to-day advice, immigration advice, and employment tribunals defence.
- Successfully defended DHL against a multi-claimant claim arising out of a reduction in shift premium following a re-alignment of shifts with the business’ customer.
Cross-jurisdictional matters dominate the workload of DLA Piper’s employment practice, which is headed by Alan Chalmers, 'one of the region's leading employment law partners'. Legal directors Helen Hall and Emma Mills, as well as senior associate George Nicholson, are part of a team which advises household name local, national and international clients from a range of sectors on domestic employment issues, routinely acting for them in Employment Tribunal claims and Civil Court matters, especially those related to discrimination and whistleblowing. Other areas of strength are industrial relations advice and TUPE work, with a strong track record of assisting fintech and food and drink clients.
‘DLA Piper is one of, if not the premier employment team in the North West. This is borne out by the quality of its client base (which is second to none), its responsiveness, commercial awareness and ability to deliver results for clients.’
‘Alan Chalmers is approachable, responsive, and has excellent client skills and a knowledge of trade union law and collective bargaining rights that is unmatched in the region. One of the region’s leading employment law partners.’
‘The team has breadth and depth of experience, access to exceptional talent throughout the UK, not just limited to London. Openness and ability to work with specific client requirements relating to data management.’
‘George Nicholson has the ability to apply his wide knowledge and experience in a way that creates confidence in the stakeholders that he works with. He is able to adapt his style to suit organisational culture and maintain a practical approach to problem-solving without prejudicing the robustness of his underlying advice.’
‘We appreciate George Nicholson’s understanding of our business and ability to provide appropriate advice.’
Argo Aviation International Ltd
Canon (UK & Europe)
Compass Minerals Group
Elopak UK Limited
International Hotels Group plc (IHG)
Johnson Matthey plc
Northumbrian Water Group
Reach plc (formerly Trinity Mirror Group plc)
Sealed Air Limited
The Co-operative Bank Limited
Verna Group International
Cavendish Asset Management
Ernst and Young LLP
- Successfully obtained costs and a written apology for the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) from the claimant and her solicitor following the successful defence of complex discrimination, victimisation and whistleblowing Employment Tribunal claims brought by a high profile former employee.
- Advised a global media company on a large scale global restructuring and outsourcing exercise across 44 jurisdictions, including legal and strategic advice on information and consultation obligations.
- Providing specialist advice to Cavendish Asset Management on the implementation of new regulatory requirements arising from the extension of the Senior Managers & Certification Regime.
The employment team at DWF has an enviable client base of international and national corporations spanning many sectors. Restructurings, redundancy advice and large-scale TUPE exercises are among its key strengths, with additional expertise in advising on the employment aspects of outsourcing transactions and on high-level director exits. Contentious-wise, it has considerable experience in Employment Tribunals and regularly acts for clients in the Court of Appeal. Joanne Frew leads the Manchester team, while Tim Scott heads the practice in Liverpool. The 'thoughtful and empathetic' Kirsty Rogers and senior associate Sinead Donnelly are other names to note.
‘The team at DWF provide a seamless and professional service. Their approach is consistent so you know that when you are dealing any lawyer there, you will be receiving the same advice and professionalism that you’d get from the other.’
‘Kirsty Rogers, in particular, is outstanding. She handled some tricky situations well and was able to educate and ensure colleagues and leaders understood the importance of the message, whilst delivering it in a thoughtful and empathetic way.’
‘The team make every effort to understand our workplace challenges, keep us updated on trends in our sectors and support with a pragmatic approach when issues arise.’
‘Kirsty Rogers is an outstanding partner. She manages to maintain good levels of availability and balance this with a well-briefed team who provide additional support. She is pragmatic, and a great sounding board for all people challenges.’
‘The team at DWF strive to understand real issues and give practical solutions.’
‘Tim Scott is very approachable and is always on hand to give practical, business-specific advice in a way that is easy to understand and implement.’
Munnelly Group plc
Lloyds of London
Watkin Jones Group
Redx Pharma plc
SGS United Kingdom
Alternative Futures Group
- Advising Munnelly Group of Companies in relation to compatibility of worker status under the Employment Rights Act 1996 and the status of contractors for employment law and tax law purposes under the Construction Industry Scheme.
- Engaged by Society of Lloyds to roll out an education programme on Culture and Non Financial Behaviour, including obligations and consequences of businesses following numerous damaging news articles, various whistleblowing and harassment complaints and scrutinisation by the regulators.
- Retained by Chemring to advise on the restructuring of the organisation requiring advice on both information and consultation under TUPE as well as consultation on redundancy.
e3 employment law LLP
Working across its Liverpool and Manchester offices, the 'partner-driven' team at boutique firm e3 employment law LLP is 'focused on all elements of contentious and non-contentious employment work'. From the Manchester team, the 'committed and caring' Dan Bickerstaffe is highly regarded for his TUPE and restructuring advice, while Nick Jones specialises in board-level disputes, restructurings, severances, and restrictive covenant enforcement. Liverpool-based Simon Ost is an expert on collective labour issues and trade union disputes. Jenny Walker is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Simon Ost is pragmatic and takes a commercial and operational approach, which makes complex issues appear less so.’
‘The hallmark of advice provided by e3 employment law is that it always takes a commercial stance; it takes into account the business needs and any recommendations, whilst legally compliant, have a balanced regard to business risk.’
‘Nick Jones is always level-headed, calm and commercially focused. He provides detailed guidance either verbally or in writing and ensures that we take into account all aspects of the relevant law and best practice.’
‘I cannot recommend e3 highly enough. Each partner is accessible and provides practical and sensible advice. They listened to our position and the advice was clear and appropriately tailored to us.’
‘Dan Bickerstaff knows the law inside out and more importantly how to apply it in practice to achieve the best result. The entire team are approachable and personable.’
‘Hands-on, partner-driven approach. The best employment law firm we have ever used, really impressed with them and would highly recommend the firm.’
‘Dan Bickerstaffe is an exceptional lawyer. Committed, caring and always abreast of changes in the law and how they affect companies practically. Dan takes a pragmatic, reasonable view and is 100% reliable, always happy to go the extra mile for us his clients if we are dealing with a difficult situation.’
‘Nick Jones has been fantastic to work with, as the saying goes ‘people but people’. Nick was available at all sorts of times outside the standard 9-5, and was able to guide me through a process and showed true leadership when he needed to.’
‘An exceptional boutique firm focused on all elements of contentious and non-contentious employment work. They are engaged in some of the most prominent disputes in the North West and are amongst the top firms that I have been instructed by. They combine peerless technical ability combined with approachability and a sensible approach to fees.’
‘Simon Ost is able to quickly consider emerging situations and provide clear advice on the risks and possible approaches. He is always calm and considered.’
Elior UK Plc
Lucite International UK Ltd
Leonard Curtis Business Solutions Group No
Scapa Group Plc
MAN Energy Solutions UK Limited
On The Beach Plc
Perspex International Ltd
WEPA UK Ltd
Great Bear Distribution
- Representing a global manufacturer in its defence of long-running and complex race and disability discrimination claims involving allegations of victimisation, bullying and breaches of contractual obligations.
- Advised BASF Plc on the UK employment law aspects of its forthcoming Head Office relocation and the separation of a multinational business area ready for disposal.
- Represented an international manufacturing group in its defence of a group Tribunal claim for unlawful deductions from wages brought by employees and backed by a prominent national trade union.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP handles a wide range of both contentious and non-contentious employment matters, with particular expertise in sectors such as education, food and retail, aerospace and defence, nuclear, utilities, chemicals and healthcare. Headed by Michael Thompson, the department’s areas of strength include High Court litigation, TUPE, the employment aspects of M&A, restrictive covenant disputes, discrimination, and Employment Tribunal cases and appeals. The practice has seen an increase in work relating to immigration, GDPR and equal pay matters. Diane Gilhooley, the firm's global head of HR and pensions, is another key member of the team.
University of Bradford
B&Q plc (Kingfisher)
The Hut Group
Equality Human Rights Commission
- Provided legal advisory work and training to The Universities and Colleges Employers Association on range of areas, including immigration, current developments in employment law, holiday pay for atypical workers, and responding to the national programme of industrial action.
- Defending a large retailer against multiple Employment Tribunal claims in which they are challenging the client’s the calculation of holiday pay, specifically the inclusion of a bonus that is paid quarterly to staff. Advising on the defence of the claims in conjunction with the employee relations and union relations issues that arise and are connected with them.
- Assisting Lookers plc on the Chairman and Chair of the Remuneration Committee on negotiating new service agreements for the board (including the CEO) to ensure compliance with the new Senior Manager Certification Regime and also in negotiating the exit of its CFO and the appointment of the new CFO.
With considerable healthcare expertise, acting for doctors and those in primary care, the Manchester-based team at Gateley Plc is now headed by Chris Thompson, after former practice head Michael Ball retired. As well as advising clients on the employment aspects of corporate deals in the hotel, logistics, travel, and sports sectors, the firm enjoys a strong reputation for corporate restructuring matters such as TUPE outsourcing, relocations, and large-scale redundancies. Other names to note include Avril England and senior associate Emma Butterworth.
British Medical Association
Manchester City Football Club
Casual Dining Group
Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club
Lancaster City Council
Billfinger Industrial Services (UK) Limited
Jeff Middleton heads Hill Dickinson LLP’s employment practice, which has an enviable track record advising public healthcare organisations such as NHS foundation trusts and Health Education England on discrimination, whistleblowing, reorganisations and tribunal matters. Michael Wright, in particular, is a key figure for healthcare matters. The team also specialises in education, including collective agreements for teachers and support staff. Liverpool-based legal director Caroline Prosser is largely responsible for the team's growing reputation in investigations, with independent disciplinary and grievance investigations for in-house legal and HR teams a more common strand of work. Liverpool-based national head of schools Luke Green is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Stobart Rail Limited
Grant Thornton UK LLP
Britvic Soft Drinks
dnata Travel (part of Emirates Group)
Sonoco Alcore Limited
CF Fertilisers UK Limited
FRP Advisory LLP
G2 Speech UK
Geraud UK Ltd
City of Liverpool College
Peel L&P Group Management Limited
A G Parfett & Sons
Agility Chemical Logistics
Mid Cheshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
The Christie NHS Foundation Trust
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust
Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Health Education England
St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Cheshire and Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
University Hospital of Derby and Burton
Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
Cheshire & Wirral Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust
Ramsay UK Healthcare Group
- Advised and supported Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust in relation to the reorganisation of healthcare services within Greater Manchester.
- Advised and supported Royal Sanders (UK) Limited in managing a large collective redundancy exercise (involving 165 employees), arising from the closure of the company’s site in Bradford and relocation of its manufacturing operations to its site in Preston.
- Successfully defended West Way Nissan in claims of age, race and disability discrimination following a 2-day hearing in Manchester.
Led by experienced litigator Alison Treliving, Squire Patton Boggs’ 'exceptional' employment team advises on a wide range of matters, but has particular expertise in high-value employment litigation and investigation matters. Other key areas of strength include complex Employment Tribunal claims involving whistleblowing and discrimination, large scale restructuring projects and cross-border TUPE matters. Recently, it has developed its financial institutions client base; the team's client roster primarily comprises corporations in the retail, recruitment, manufacturing, life sciences, energy and natural resources sectors. Bryn Doyle and senior associate James Pike are highly regarded in this space.
‘The Squire Patton Boggs team is exceptional. They are always responsive, take a very pragmatic approach to the advice they offer, and deal with complex matters. Their key strength is their understanding of our business and the key challenges we face. They are also proactive in providing coaching and education to the HR team on employment law matters.’
‘James Pike is an exceptional individual. He is very straightforward to work with, is available and responsive and provides advice in a pragmatic manner. He is calm and reassuring in his communication and has a key strength in encouraging us to think through broader implications.’
‘I have not had another law firm offer the same level of commitment and investment from the outset.’
‘It doesn’t seem to matter which one of the team you deal with, they all seem to share the same commercial and pragmatic approach. I have the same faith in the more junior partners to make the same sound judgements as their senior partners.’
‘Pragmatic, down to earth and commercial advice. They just seem to get our business and quickly grasp any issues.’
Savers Health & Beauty
The Perfume Shop
Mamas & Papas
Think Money Group
Tom James International
- Advised CBRE, the leading US-based global investor and facilities management business on employee transfers and restructuring issues.
- Advising a major food manufacturer in the North West on a complex dispute with its European Works Council.
- Advising a major telecoms company on successfully defending an appeal by a claimant at the Employment Appeal Tribunal.
The team at TLT continues to grow, bolstered by the addition to its ranks of former JMW Solicitors LLP employment head Liz Cotton, who has particular expertise assisting board members and HR teams in the retail space. Led by Ed Cotton, the practice advises on restrictive covenants, whistleblowing, trade union and industrial relations. The 'practical and commercially minded' Paula Cole specialises in large-scale restructuring and reorganisation projects, as well as dismissals, executive severance packages, and discrimination claims. Clients include businesses across the banking, insurance, financial services, retail, housing, leisure and technology sectors.
‘The team keeps things simple and precise, with a well-researched approach. Deals well with complex and long duration cases where a strategy emerges and flexibility is required.’
‘Paula Cole is practical and commercially minded.’
Boohoo.com UK Limited
Search Consultancy Ltd
Preston North End Football Club
Classic Lodges Limited
Well Pharmacy (formerly Co-operative Pharmacy)
University of Central Lancashire
Ultimate Products plc
Finning UK & Ireland Limited
- Acted for Tradewind Recruitment Limited in a case involving enforcement of post-termination restrictive covenants, defending an application for an injunction issued in the High Court which was successfully resisted.
- Defending Eddie Stobart Limited against a complex sex discrimination claim from a current employee who is engaged by the company as an HGV driver.
Addleshaw Goddard's employment team primarily advises companies in the transport, retail, financial services and manufacturing sectors, with particular expertise in litigation and boardroom-level work, including restrictive covenant disputes.
Analysis Legal LLP
Based in Stockport, specialist employment practice Analysis Legal LLP handles matters for clients spanning a variety of industry sectors, advising a range of small- and medium-sized businesses, as well as senior executives and professionals across the UK. Key areas of expertise include restrictive covenants, TUPE issues and senior executive exits, while the team is also adept at defending complex Employment Tribunal claims for large corporations. Anna Lees and Andrea Paxton jointly head the team, which also includes Karen Fletcher and Catherine Parkinson.
Co-operative Group Limited
Lancashire Eccles Cakes
Courtyard Care Plus Limited
Withington Girls’ School
Living Housing Limited
Cheshire International Removals
Stoke City Council
Young Learners UK
Paul Hartmann UK Ltd
Waterside Hotel and Galleon Leisure Ltd
Ferranti Technologies Limited
UK Bond Network Ltd
Money Expert Ltd
Gee Group Ltd
Alpha UK Limited
Incommunities Group Limited
Waterfields (Leigh) Limited
Cruden Group Limited
Profile Security Services Limited
The 'experienced group of specialists' in JMW Solicitors LLP’ employment practice is led by Paul Chamberlain, who was previously head of employment at Brabners LLP. The Manchester practice’s already strong track record in the recruitment space is bolstered by the arrival of Chamberlain, who has broad expertise in agency workers’ regulations, TUPE, the Working Time Regulations and temporary worker status. The team advises clients in the hospitality, automotive, pharma, manufacturing, education and charities sectors, with particular expertise in advising on large scale redundancies and reorganisations and restrictive covenants. Jennifer Smith is another name to note.
‘JMW’s employment law team has brought together an experienced group of specialists who have an in-depth knowledge of all facets of employment and offer an unrivalled service to employers.’
‘The team is headed up by Paul Chamberlain who has provided services to our group for over 20 years. He is ably supported by Simon Bloch.’
The Employment Agents Movement (TEAM)
Staffline Recruitment Limited
Association of Professional Staffing Companies (APSCo)
Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC)
The Freelancer & Contractor Services Association (FCSA)
British Parking Association
Clock Spring/NRI Europe Limited
Cantel UK Limited
Gong Cha England Limited
- Continues to advise the British Parking Association, including on the provision of a dedicated HR Helpline Service accessible direct by BPA members.
- Advised Gong Cha England Limited on overseas hires in the UK and employment contracts.
- Represented Simon Edwards in his successful claims under TUPE, automatically unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, notice pay and failure to consult against Sport Taekwondo UK Limited.
At Kuit Steinart Levy LLP, the Manchester employment team continues to carve out a reputation undertaking contract work for high-profile international sports players and staff, as well as handling High Court injunctions, often involving post-termination restrictive covenants. Headed by Kevin McKenna, the team also has a track record advising on senior executive terminations and boardroom disputes, restructurings and redundancies, and TUPE matters. Tribunal litigation, especially claims involving whistleblowing and discrimination, are another key area of strength. Sally Bird and Mark McKeating are noted for their expertise.
Crown Oil Limited
Harnbury Holdings Limited (trading as San Carlo restaurants)
Maersk Line UK
Salford City Football Club
Law by Design Limited
In addition to its healthcare specialism, with a 'huge wealth of experience in acting for NHS trusts and for health care professionals', the employment team at Law by Design Limited also advises other private sector clients on day-to-day employment issues and matters such as TUPE. Clients are drawn from the schools, logistics, construction, insurance, and charities sectors. Managing director and founder Sue Morrison leads the practice, which also includes highly regarded director Saira Ali.
‘The team are professional, highly experienced and show excellent client focus.’
‘Law By Design is an exceptional firm to work with. They align themselves to entrepreneurial businesses well and work with you to find practical solutions to complex issues.’
‘I have always found the team at Law By Design very helpful and solution-focused. They find solutions, even if it means with some element of risk, but are clear about what the consequences could be. This has always been very refreshing.’
‘Saira Ali understands our business, the challenges we face and the restraints in which we operate. She offers the best possible solution for our challenges, based on our bespoke needs.’
‘A niche employment practice with particular focus and expertise in the healthcare sector.’
‘The team knows the health care sector inside out, a huge wealth of experience in acting for NHS trusts and for health care professionals.’
Addiction Dependency Solutions
Apple Aviation Ltd
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust
Centre For Education and Finance Management Limited
Cheshire Set Nail Lounge (The)
Complete Demolition Ltd
Dean Trust Wigan and Rose Bridge
East Cheshire NHS Trust
Great Canadian Railtour Company Limited
(operating as Rocky Mountaineer)
Go North West Limited
Headliner Hotels Limited
Horizon Parking Limited
Hydro Aluminum Deeside Ltd
Health Innovation Manchester (hosted by
Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust)
Herts Valleys CCG
High Peak Theatre Trust
Inception Legal Limited
Jackson lees Group Ltd
Liverpool Women’s NHS Foundation Trust
Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
LB Europe Limited
League of Welldoers
Manchester Fertility Services Limited
National Polytunnels Limited
Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust and Rochdale Hospital
Primary Care 24 2
Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust
Salford Primary Care Together Limited
Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
The Crosby Perrin Group
Styles and Wood Limited
Tiger Retail Ltd
The Countess of Chester NHS Foundation Trust
The Oddfellows Friendly Society
Todaywise Ltd t/a Woodheyes Care Home
Tranquil TMS Limited
Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
West Kirby Residential School
Wirral University Teaching Hospitals NHS
Whitegate Inns Ltd t/a Guildhall Tavern
Whitfield and Brown (Developments) Ltd
Woods Building Services Ltd t/a AA Woods
'A really good alternative to the bigger city firms', Myerson Solicitors LLP’s employment team focuses on large-scale redundancies, complex reorganisations, trade union disputes, complex Tribunal Claims, and TUPE matters. It acts for senior executives at multinational and domestic corporations, providing strategic advice on contracts, terms, business arrangements, and exits. Joanne Evans heads the practice, which counts among its team senior solicitor Charlotte Gilbert and Joanne Henderson, who focuses on employment-related compliance work involving GDPR, modern slavery and gender pay-gap reporting.
‘I really appreciated the personable style of the team – it was down to earth and responsive. I was provided with quality, clear advice that was pragmatic as well as understanding of my situation, but balanced.’
‘I had a primary relationship with Patrick Byrne, who I found very personable, responsive, knowledgeable and reassuring. I appreciated his calm style in the face of the clients of the other side who, represented by a large London firm were particularly aggressive and difficult.’
‘Joanne Evans and her team understand our needs, do not bury us in technical details, and give sound, commercial advice.’
‘Myersons’ whole team is very personable, reliable and an overall pleasure to work with. No matter what advice is needed the right person will always come back to you with clear, constructive feedback.’
‘Myersons are at the very top of their field. They are extremely knowledgeable, personable, reliable and provide outstanding personal service. Each issue they have dealt with has been carried out extremely thoroughly – sometimes being given very short notice.’
‘I primarily deal with Patrick Byrne in the team. He has provided excellent advice and has been instrumental in assisting me to resolve some very tricky employment and HR issues.’
‘They are a really good alternative to the bigger city firms. They have the skills without some of the frills and formality.’
‘Jo Evans is as good as it gets. Very clear with you, good on tactics, and great on law. Very commercial and has the experience not to be flustered (ever) and drive you to a good conclusion.’
‘A very personal and professional team that we treat as an extension of our team. They always are responsive to our needs which can be at short notice given how our business is run which is brilliant for us and we value this service so much.’
‘Charlotte Gilbert at Myerson is not only professional but incredibly personal too, giving us excellent advice on a range of matters.’
‘Jo Henderson stands out. She has excellent technical knowledge but also understands the commercial realities and advises accordingly. Very proactive, great client service skills.’
‘Joanne Evans is easy to contact, very clear and straightforward in her advice and has offered my invaluable professional advice on a number of different contract and employment issues.’
Associated Security Solutions
Joseph Holt Limited
Stax Trade Centres
The 'talented and highly responsive' employment team at Pannone Corporate LLP is best known for advising clients on TUPE matters, particularly in the context of outsourcing and in-sourcing. It regularly advises clients in the social housing sector on the TUPE issues which arise from local authority procurement. Headed by Jack Harrington, the department assists multinational corporations, large public sector organisations, and SMEs on a range of matters, including HR support for disciplinary action, grievance investigations, and hearings. Fiona Hamor is another name to note.
‘Our original issue was dealt with in a very professional manner and during this time we were introduced gradually to Jack Harrington’s team. Each member of the team worked in a manner that showed us that they all were aware of the case and were able to deal and interact with us without the need to constantly ask other members of the team.’
‘A talented and highly responsive team of lawyers who have diverse background and knowledge and can give you speedy professional advice and guidance.’
‘Jack Harrington, who is calm, knowledgeable and supportive. Jack listens carefully to the problems and helps you work through and understand the work environment so always guides through business solutions. I have found Jack to be responsive at all times and gives you clear advice and guidance in a speedy way.’
‘I’ve worked with several members of the employment team over the years and they work together in a very cohesive way. When only one person is involved I’ve always found it the case that another team member can pick up the case very quickly if needed, leading me to the conclusion that they have extremely well-organised case files and good in-house processes.’
‘Fiona Hamor has been excellent in her communication of some fairly challenging legal points, especially recently in a case combining share re-purchases and redundancy/settlement agreement. Her advice is always extremely clear and concise.’
‘Pannone always gives detailed and sound advice and are excellent at explaining more complex details. They are reliable and we trust them with regards to advice covering a wide spectrum of employment matters. Fiona Hamor and Radhika Das particularly stand out for their excellent support with a very complex matter we have dealt with recently.’
Rail Gourmet Limited
Select Service Partner UK Limited
SMG Europe Holdings Limited
The Big Life Group
Tradebe Environmental Services Limited
- Supported the firm’s corporate team in acting for the shareholders of Marq Millions Ltd in connection with the cross-border sale of the entire issued share capital of the company to eToro Group.
- Advised a North West manufacturer on a complex TUPE transfer involving three separate entities with a mix of unionised and non unionised employees, complicated by proposed redundancies and changes to terms and conditions of employment following the proposed transfer.
- Defending a North West social housing provider in a claim for constructive unfair dismissal and sexual harassment and, on the instruction of our client, negotiating a successful settlement to minimise adverse publicity.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP’s team primarily focuses on complex reorganisations and restructurings, minimum wage enforcement, TUPE, and industrial relations matters. Practice head Neil Black has considerable expertise advising domestic and international bluechip food and drinks clients, and the 'extremely approachable' team continues to win other high-profile clients in the manufacturing, technology, automotive sectors. Senior associate Rob Childe is a name to note.
‘The team’s approach is to understand the real business challenge and find a solution that best fits the problem and the context behind it, rather than just providing the legal position.’
‘All of the employment team are extremely approachable, seem to grasp our business and sector, and always look to give pragmatic advice.’
Morgan Sindall plc
Jaguar Land Rover
- Assisted English Institute of Sport on a case that, on the face of it, involves a disputed transfer of undertakings with three parties but is rooted in whistleblowing allegations.
- Advised Arqiva Limited on complex TUPE and intra-group transfers as a result of its current proposed sale of its mobile phone mast network to Cellnex.
- Defending Costain against a serial litigant in proceedings that have lasted nearly four years and reached the Supreme Court via successful outcomes at the Court of Appeal and Employment Appeal Tribunal.
Weightmans LLP's employment team advises local and national clients in the private sector, while also developing its reputation for assisting public sector clients. As well as having expertise in the education and logistics sectors, it assists police forces in the North West and North East on employment matters and represents Foundation Trusts in the healthcare sector, including in complex Tribunal claims, reputational management issues, and media coverage. It works closely with the firm’s corporate team, providing TUPE and transactional employment support. Mark Hatfield, principal associate Claire Hollins and associate solicitor Lee Rogers are names to note.
The Ombudsman Services Limited
National Museums Liverpool
Swissport GB Limited
Equality and Human Rights Commission
White Stuff Limited
Royal Mail Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
- Working with The University of Greenwich’s education, procurement and construction teams on a multimillion-pound outsourcing of facilities management.
- Provided employment support to Sonoco’s corporate team on an acquisition which formed part of a wider deal with a combined value of $187m.
- Successfully acted for the Chief Constable of Merseyside Police in defending claims brought by a former police officer of unfair constructive dismissal and disability discrimination.
Aaron & Partners LLP handles a broad range of instructions, focusing on work such as restructurings and employment disputes. The 'extremely knowledgeable and high-energy' Helen Watson, a qualified workplace mediator who has Higher Rights of Audience, heads the practice, which acts for clients in the logistics, education, recruitment, leisure, travel and tourism sectors. The team is seeing an increase in instructions in relation to zero-hour contracts and other atypical contracts, as well as contracts for well-known individuals in the media and sports industries. Another name to note is Claire Brook.
‘The team are all friendly and helpful and feel like an extension of your own team. They are quick to respond to any queries and talk to you clearly without any jargon. They will always inform you of the options and any associated risks.’
‘They will take emergency calls outside of normal working hours if necessary and will always take their time to explain the legal implications fully.’
‘The experience I had with Aaron & Partners made a difficult personal situation as straightforward as it could be. There was clarity in the fee that I would be charged and confidence from the lawyer that the issues would be dealt with.’
‘Helen Watson is an extremely knowledgeable, high-energy partner with easy approachability. She’s also an excellent communicator.’
‘The whole team are extremely responsive to all requests and do so with good humour and professionalism. They provide practical solutions to real-life problems and are pragmatic in their approach. The relationship is very much one of partnership rather than customer/ supplier.’
‘Paul Hennity, is always responsive, friendly and professional; he just gets it!’
Connah’s Quay Nomads FC Limited
Sovini Limited (One Vision Housing Trust)
Boots Hearingcare Limited
North of England Zoological Society (Chester Zoo)
Zip World Limited
Special Needs Care Limited
Meadow Foods Limited
- Advising gap Group on IR35 issues and Swedish Derogation with as a result of changing agency regulations.
- Assisting Sovini Limited with acquisition and TUPE advice, as well as restructuring and collective redundancies and settlements.
- Advising North of England Zoological Society (Chester Zoo) on daily HR matters, including negotiating and concluding settlement agreements for directors and senior managers, capability and performance management advice, and short service termination.
Firm founder Phil Bramhall heads the specialist employment practice at Bramhalls Solicitors, which handles a range of high-value matters for public sector clients and large employers with HR teams. The team is most frequently instructed by clients in the food and drink, aerospace and defence, education, and healthcare sectors, including both national organisations and international organisations with UK bases. It also advises clients on industrial action and issues including union recognition. Rehan Pasha is another key practitioner.
PD Ports Group
Avdel UK Limited (part of Stanley Black and Decker)
Cheshire College South and West
Warrington & Vale Royal College
NYNAS UK Ltd
Titan Airways Ltd
Edward Billington Group
The Contact Company
Surface Technology International Ltd
Chester Healthcare Ltd
Brooks Automation Ltd
- Advised and negotiated the terms of departure of a senior executive within a national household name company, achieving a substantial package in preparation for the sale of the business for almost £2bn.
- Advised Poundstretcher Limited on the closure of its national warehouse and transport operation in Huddersfield and transfer to Leicester.
The team at Browne Jacobson LLP is led by the 'very experienced and effective' Kerren Daly, who specialises in executive terminations and boardroom disputes, as well as employment issues relating to restructurings and M&A. The team also has a track record of supporting both public and private clients on HR matters. Employment tribunal specialist Ian Deakin is another name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly responsive and detailed advice that effectively supports our Human Resources strategy. Kerren Daily is very experienced and effective, understands our sector and its challenges, and is able to offer considered advice and support that is contextualised to our forward strategy.’
‘Kerren has been invaluable since we engaged with Browne Jacobson. Her support, guidance and advice are balanced and outcome-driven, providing guidance that balances risk and is delivered in a manner that is understandable to non-legal practitioners.’
‘Strong technical knowledge married with an acute understanding of risk allows the team to provide very commercial advice in a timely fashion.’
‘I have a lot of trust in Kerren Daly, who understands the challenges faced by the C suite and provides both robust advice and effective sounding board to develop effective HR strategies, particularly in contentious situations. Kerren is my go-to person in this area without a doubt.’
Imagination Technologies Group
Digital UK and Freeview
Sports Information Services
- Advising a UK logistics company on UK-wide employment issues, including an employment matter that became known to clients, competitors and a logistics trade association with the effect of potentially damaging the reputation of the client.
- Advising a restaurant chain on strategic and day to day advice including dismissals, breach of post-termination restrictions, holiday pay, and various employment tribunal claims.
- Assisting a university which continues to undergo significant internal change, including on employment tribunal claims and day to day HR issues.
Fieldfisher’s employment team continues to grow and secure new clients, particularly in the food and drink and hospitality sectors. In 2019, the department, jointly led by David Carmichael and director Alex Watson, saw an increase in instructions in which it assisted clients on National Minimum Wage compliance. Carmichael advises on executive exits, restrictive covenants, and whistleblowing claims, while Watson focuses on contentious employment issues. Jeremy Harris joined the firm from DLA Piper to become head of pensions.
British Cycling Federation
Wilkin & Sons (t/a Tiptree Jams)
Stonegate Pub Company
Liverpool Football Club
Royal College of Physicians
Oasis & Warehouse
Dods Group PLC
- Successfully represented British Cycling Federation in a landmark employment status case involving former Olympic cyclist, Jessica Varnish, who has raised claims of unfair dismissal, sex discrimination, victimisation and detrimental treatment resulting from whistleblowing complaints.
- Advises Stonegate Pub Company on strategic employment issues, including strategic management hires, corporate compliance matters, and director’s reporting requirements. The firm is the company’s exclusive provider of employment tribunal litigation services.
- Supporting Wilkin & Sons, a new client since 2019, with ongoing employment issues across all elements of the business as an exclusive provider.
Forbes Solicitors is frequently instructed by schools, colleges, and local authorities, providing 'timely detailed advice and support which is always tailored to the public sector'. Jonathan Holden is national head of education advising on the full spectrum of employment-related matters nationwide, while Emma Swan heads the commercial department, offering advice to SMEs and blue-chip companies. Ruth Rule-Mullen remains the firm’s lead on public sector work.
‘Everyone I have worked with at Forbes has given excellent service. Replies are always prompt and thorough. I trust them to give me sound advice that protects our business.’
‘The employment team at Forbes take the time to gain an insight into your company in the first instance, this then enables them to form strategies that are not only appropriate byways of the law but are also practical for our business; financially, commercially and operationally.’
‘Good grasp of how local authorities work, and the sort of HR issues they face, so able to offer very practical, common-sense advice. Staff very approachable and down to earth.’
‘The team over the years have provided legal advice to the council and schools. For us what makes it a good organisation is there understanding of the different terms and conditions that we work to as a local authority.’
‘Very impressed with the whole team. No matter who you deal with every member of the team is well informed and can help with any query we may have.’
‘For our company, Amy Stokes has been a standout associate, her level headed, calm manner has assisted us in resolving some very complicated situations. Her help and advice have been invaluable.’
‘The people we have worked with at Forbes have been extremely committed to helping us. They provide timely detailed advice and support which is always tailored to the public sector.’
Lincolnshire Housing Partnership
St Francis Xavier College
Information Commissioner’s Office
GA Pet Foods
Spencer Academies Trust
Althams Travel Services Ltd
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council
Wyre Borough Council
Hyndburn Borough Council
Chorley Borough Council
Progress Housing Group
Lincolnshire Housing Partnership
Alexander Dennis Limited
Accrol Papers Ltd
Preston City Council
Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
Education Partnership Trust
Nelson & Colne College
Voith Paper Ltd and Voith Turbo Ltd
South Lakeland District Council
J & J Ormerod Plc
Pavement Testing Services
- Advised Voith Paper Limited on the application of TUPE when the company was asked to employ employees based in the UK by a German group company as part of an acquisition to which the client was not a party.
- Provided advice to Hyndburn Council following an appeal against a decision to dismiss; in addition to advising and representing throughout Tribunal proceedings; including conducting the advocacy at the hearing to a successful outcome.
- Provided day to day support to the HR function of Education Partnership Trust; assisted them in defending a number of complex employment tribunal cases.
Kennedys offers both contentious and non-contentious advice to employers and their insurers, with a particular track record in advising on the employment aspects of M&A transactions and in defending employment tribunal claims. Led by Alison Loveday, the team also has experience advising clients, which are increasingly international in scope, on data protection and GDPR matters related to employment issues. Senior associate Amanda Beaumont is noted as an 'excellent and intuitive employment lawyer'.
Other key lawyers:
‘A great team with some very talented people.’
‘Amanda Beaumont is truly an excellent and intuitive employment lawyer. I’d want her on my team.’
Redactive Media Limited
ITC Luxury Travel Group
Newly Weds Foods Limited
M&P Engineering Limited
Seventy 7 Limited
Optimal Strategix Group
Dmg events (UK) Limited (part of the Daily Mail Group of companies)
Cogent Skills Services
TTG Technology (Europe) Limited
- Advising Newly Weds Foods Limited on their UK operations, including employment-related issues involved in the acquisition of Jigsaw Foods and defending Employment Tribunal claim for disability discrimination and constructive unfair dismissal.
- Advised ITC Travel Group on a range of employment litigation issues, including enforcement of restrictions/injunctive relief, GDPR and TUPE issues, harmonisation of terms.
- Advising Carluccio’s Limited on severance terms, new contacts of employment, changes to terms and conditions of employment, site closures, and performance management.
Mills & Reeve LLP
Led by education expert Sara Barrett, the Manchester-based employment team at Mills & Reeve LLP is sharpening its focus on the insurance sector, representing growing numbers of clients at the Employment Tribunal. Advising clients across a range of other sectors, including manufacturing, pharma, professional services and technology, the team has been handling increased numbers of instructions relating to senior executives exiting corporations.
‘The employment team at Mills & Reeve are highly experienced and knowledgeable. They have a range of strengths covering all aspects of employment law and the team are highly approachable and provide advice which is relevant to our particular sector.’
‘All members of the employment team are worthy of a mention; however, Sara Barrett is highly experienced and extremely helpful in advising on a range of employment law matters, ranging from employee relation matters, merger and complex whistleblowing issues.’
‘The team are very approachable, able to adapt their advice to reflect sector expectations whilst maintaining a commercial nature.’
Befesa Salt Slags Limited
Victrex Manufacturing Limited
Royal Northern College of Music
Bako North Western (Group) Limited
Sefton Council for Voluntary Service
- Advising LTE Group on various complex issues associated with the Transfer of Undertaking (Protection of employment) Regulations 2006 associated with the government’s prison education framework tender and the transfer of staff insourcing and outsourcing on various sites.
- Provided assistance with the due diligence and TUPE process during a merger of two colleges whereby one of the colleges would be dissolved, its staff and assets would transfer to the other and then the organisation would be re-named.
- Advised on a number of senior level exits at the HR director level, providing support and advice to leaders in the HR field.
The Stockport-based team at SAS Daniels LLP assists both employers and employees, focusing on discrimination and whistleblowing cases for SMEs and clients in the education sector. The team also receives instructions on collective consultation, redundancies, restructuring, and acts occasionally in complex Tribunal claims. Senior associate Katie Hodson is noted for her expertise and is the key contact. Former practice head Karen Barker left in mid-2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘The service is personalised service, confident and knowledgeable, and the team understands the business context. Pragmatic.’
‘The team meets all our needs; there is great support from others in the team if my usual contact is engaged or absent. They provide safe advice and if asked they will provide an option that may carry some risk with it but if doing so they will always clearly spell out the risk in order that we can make a considered choice.’
‘Katie Hodson always comes back to me promptly and gives me confidence in my own role.’
With notable strength in the healthcare sector, BLM advises some of the UK’s largest care home groups and private medical practices on employment issues. The department, headed by Jim Lister, is also instructed by major insurers in relation to employment tribunal claims, regulatory prosecutions, and investigations. Construction, retail, and hospitality are other key client sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘This practice is highly qualified. We find this practice can give us anything we need with a very well qualified service and professional and friendly.’
‘I have worked with Laura D’Arcy for a long time. She always responds to us very quickly, with a friendly professional service, and has huge knowledge of employment law changes.’
Rezidor Hotels Group
Slater and Gordon LLP
Halliwell Jones Group
JLG EMEA B.V.
Black and Decker
Healthcare Management Solutions Group
Bank of England
London International School of Performing Arts
Beaverbrooks the Jewellers Limited
Kalibrate Technologies plc
Park Inn Hotels
Harley Medical Group
- Representing Slater and Gordon in the defence of complex employment tribunal proceedings brought by a former employee who is alleging race discrimination, disability discrimination, unfair dismissal, unlawful deductions from wages and detriment on the grounds of having made a protected disclosure.
- Advising MTC Novo on complex legal implications of the return to the state sector of probation and offender rehabilitation services.
- Represented Oldham Council in defending a claim of race discrimination by a sitting Labour Councillor.
At Chambers O'Neill, Manchester-based Andrew O'Neill and Chester-based Jim Chambers lead a team which primarily advises on redundancies, TUPE and the employment aspects of corporate transactions. It also acts for employees, both on an individual and collective basis, for whom it has achieved large settlements. Clients span manufacturing, logistics, retail, property, healthcare, and education.
‘Andrew O’Neill gives perspective when I cannot see it on certain cases; he is objective but sometimes he will tell me if an approach doesn’t work or we need to change things. He is very straightforward, which I like.’
‘Understands the business environment and provides sound logical advice. Always available and willing to go the extra mile.’
‘Understands issues quickly and offers sound advice which is always balanced with pros and cons. Available at any time. Clear and concise when communicating within the business. Great at coaching HR Team.’
‘Strengths are speed of response, the strength of advice and cost-effectiveness. Many solicitors hedge their advice. Chambers O’Neill is always firm in its recommendations.’
‘Andrew O’Neill has become our go-to employment lawyer. I never leave an advice session without knowing precisely what I need to do. It is a collaborative process to arrive at the right conclusion both in terms of law but also the strategy to suit the individual issue at hand.’
ABM Facility Services
NES Global Talent
IDG Holdings Limited
B Conway Tail Lifts
A&M Insulations Limited
The non-traditional partner-led structure at gunnercooke LLP, enables the firm's lawyers to work more directly with a range of domestic and international clients. The firm advises public sector bodies, including education bodies and registered housing providers; Simon Horsfield specialises in employee-relations issues and senior-level hires and departures, while the 'client-focused and knowledgeable' Joanne Tindall has particular expertise in the manufacturing and retail sectors.
‘Jo Tindall is excellent. Always quick to respond and help simplify complex situations and provide robust advice.’
‘Instructions are always well prepared and the team has a good breadth of knowledge and skills. They are very client-focused and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Jo Tindall is an excellent employment lawyer. Very client-focused, knowledgeable and calm under pressure. Her cases are always very well prepared, instructions are very clear, and she is also very tactically astute. A pleasure to work with.’
‘Their exclusively senior-level team is what more and more clients are looking for.’
- Provided gig economy advisory services for Just Eat in their roll-out of a self-employed courier model.
- Successfully represented Kostal UK Ltd at the Court of Appeal, in a case which is the leading authority on trade union inducements.
Hillyer McKeown LLP
Hillyer McKeown LLP advises SMEs and high-net-worth individuals from a wide range of sectors on employment law matters, routinely collaborating with the wider firm's other departments on employment-related instructions. The team is headed by Justine Watkinson, an experienced litigator who handles sensitive board director disputes, exit strategies, as well as employment status, restrictive covenant, and TUPE matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great knowledge, compassion and attention to detail. This is a firm that is at the very top of their game.’
‘Lindsey Kidd and Angharad Williams are two of the best solicitors I have ever dealt with. Truly exceptional with the most balanced advice and technical knowledge you could hope for.’
‘Very forward-thinking practice.’
‘A high degree of technical capability with a down to earth approach. Always trying to offer outside of the norm advice.’
‘They are like an extension of our business. They are always responsive to our needs and genuinely care about the results. They will always make time for us even if they have other clients and a busy schedule. They care.’
‘Justine Wilkinson is always available and she cares about your business and is extremely approachable. Her team is excellent.’
An 'emerging force in employment law', the growing employment team at PwC LLP is noted for its advice on holiday pay compliance, national minimum wage, and gender and equal pay issues. The department, which is led by director Laura Nadel, has a track record of advising clients in the retail and hospitality sectors. Jo Payne is a name to note.
‘PwC is an emerging force in employment law, expanding beyond its core business of corporate advisory and business consultancy work and providing a full suite of legal services directly to clients.’
‘Laura Nadel is highly intelligent and inquiring. She likes to test each argument from multiple angles to ensure they withstand scrutiny. Very client-focused.’
‘Because of PwC’s role in the financial world and as trusted advisers in all things tax-related, it makes it uniquely positioned to provide support in employment status/tax status cases/claims.’
‘Grounded, approachable and pragmatic – they go straight to the heart of complex legal matters and explain them in a way which is user friendly and easy to work with.’
‘The practice is able to operate with the other parts of PwC to provide an integrated legal service which means they can meet all the client needs with a multidisciplinary team.’
Rico Logistics Limited
Moto Hospitality Limited
City & Guilds of London
The Official Receiver
- Supporting Moto Hospitality Limited on the full range of employment law issues, including employment aspects of transactions, day to day people issues, defending employment tribunal litigation, and compliance issues.
- Leading the HR work stream, alongside colleagues from Business Recovery Services and on behalf of the Official Receiver, on the Carillion liquidation.
- Advises Rico Logistics Limited on a wide range of employment matters, including defending Tribunal litigation.
The team at Shoosmiths LLP is now led by Emma Morgan, who joined from DAC Beachcroft LLP in 2019, bolstering the firm’s business immigration capabilities and client roster. Securing new clients every year, the department most frequently works with businesses in the financial services, retail, leisure and construction sectors.
‘Simon Fennell is very knowledgeable across employment law matters and has also grasped a good understanding of our business. He is responsive and provides a definitive view. He has been a great lawyer to partner with on a number of UK employment law matters.’
Costco Wholesale UK Limited
WeWork International Limited
International logistic provider
CityFibre Holdings Limited
Renaker Build Limited
BGL Group Limited Y
Crown Golf Limited
- Instructed by Costco Wholesale UK Limited in relation to all of the business’ employment tribunal claims, successfully defending all claims which went to hearing over a 12-month period.
- Defending an international logistics provider in 24 employment tribunal claims.
- Advise the legal and HR team at CityFibre Holdings Limited on employment law needs ranging from settlement agreements, TUPE transfers, contractual disputes to managing employment tribunal litigation.
Led by Tracey Guest, Slater Heelis LLP's team has considerable experience dealing with employment matters in the education sector, assisting schools, universities, and teachers. The team also specialises in the healthcare sector, acting for GP surgeries, dental surgeries and pharmacies. Matters relating to collective redundancies, TUPE, and employment tribunals are core areas of expertise.
‘Slater Heelis provide responsive, practical advice. They make sure they understand your business and then that you understand what is needed in sound, commercial terms.’
‘Sarah Calderwood is very approachable and always responsive. I have appreciated Sarah’s common sense, practical approach.’
‘The team works cohesively together and if a question is out of ones range, we receive help and information from another who is more knowledgeable on the subject.’
‘I have dealt with many other people at the practice but lately, I have been more involved with employment matters and have been dealing with Tracey Guest along with her team have provided excellent, prompt and factual advice and answers to the many twists and turns within employment law.’
‘Friendly and approachable staff with excellent and up-to-date technical knowledge.’
Blueberry Therapeutics Limited
Matrix Telematics Limited
The Seashell Trust
Eastwood and Creswell Dental Surgeries Limited
Greenhalgh’s Craft Bakery Limited
PJ Livesey Holdings Limited
Elle R Leisure Limited
Scapa Group Plc
One Marketing Communications Ltd
Baines Wilson LLP
On the contentious side of its practice, the Joanne Holborn-led team at Baines Wilson LLP advises on senior executive dismissals, settlement agreements, Employment Tribunal matters, redundancies and TUPE issues. It also has non-contentious expertise, providing day-to-day HR advice and support on the employment aspects of M&A deals.
‘The team at Baines Wilson are fantastic. They are extremely approachable, down to earth and accommodating.’
‘Joanne Holborn is brilliant we have a great working relationship. She takes a real interest in our business which has allowed us to deal with some difficult situations. We rely on her pragmatic approach and excellent advice.’
‘Baines Wilson is very good at providing appropriate information, advice and guidance when communicating employment law matters to us. This, in turn, has a positive influence on how we as an organisation respond to our employees.’
‘Joanne Holborn is a particular standout as one of the partners for the company. She is extremely knowledgeable and helpful, regularly providing helpful insight and guidance, often at quite short notice.’
‘We primarily dealt with Tom Scaife and his fast, efficient and personable service was outstanding. He was very quick to reply and dealt with queries and pleas for help in a suitably speedy timeframe.’
Emma Hamnett heads the practice at Clarke Willmott LLP, which is best known for advising medium-sized employers on contentious matters, including injunctions, employment litigation in the High Court, and employment tribunals. It has particular expertise in the education and sports sectors. Senior executive disputes are an area of growth for the practice.
‘Very strong. First-rate. Achieves exceptional outcomes for the clients. Would highly recommend.’
‘Emma Hamnett is an excellent lawyer who is hands-on and really cares about her clients.’
Panmure Gordon & Co
In Touch Games Limited
Bauer Radio Limited
Talent International UK Limited
Abt Associates Ltd
Integral Medical Holdings Limited
Metka EGN Limited
Ruskin Properties Limited
NVC Lighting Limited
- Advised Panmure Gordon on a team move of eight employees from a competitor whilst simultaneously making the existing team of investment bankers redundant.
- Advising Talent International UK Limited on potential breaches of restrictive covenants and injunctive action.
- Assisting Integral Medical Holdings, a national network of primary care sites, with Employment Tribunal claims including unfair dismissal and whistleblowing.
David Walton’s team at Gorvins Solicitors specialises in advising on redundancy and bulk settlement agreements, Employment Tribunal cases, and disciplinary and grievance cases. It has also a strong local track record in the area of family rights, managing complex pregnancy and gender-related discrimination issues, as well as assisting organisations managing cancer issues in the workplace. Danielle Ayres was recently promoted to partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gorvins are proactive in their approach, and we receive immediate advice, something we find invaluable in these ever-changing and challenging times. Other legal firms have not been able to provide us with this level of expertise and service.’
‘David Walton has become a valued extension of our business advice network. David literally does go the extra mile to support our company when needed with his professional, pragmatic and trusted advice. David is particularly insightful and the joy of working with him is that he understands the ‘real’ world!’
KBL Solicitors LLP’s employment team is headed by Sarah Collier, a 'diligent, well-prepared' lawyer who advises local businesses, SMEs and senior executives on both contentious and non-contentious matters. Sexual harassment, discrimination, unfair dismissal, whistleblowing, restrictive covenants and TUPE matters are areas of expertise. The team provides support on corporate transactions and also represents clients in employment tribunals.
‘Sarah Collier is a diligent, well-prepared practitioner who offers pragmatic and reasoned advice and has an excellent rapport with clients.’
‘Respond to any queries, no matter how insignificant, in a way that makes you feel you are their most important client.’
‘I find it very easy to explain situations to Sarah Collier. I always get an answer to my questions. She always makes sure I understand any options available to resolve a situation. Any other solicitor I have had contact with at KBL has always been excellent.’
The employment practice at Linder Myers, led by Alan Lewis, primarily assists SMEs, with particular expertise in the medical and legal sectors. Lewis advises on restrictive covenants, redundancy, transfer of undertakings, unfair dismissal as well as sex, race and disability discrimination. The department operates one of the largest employment law advice schemes for SMEs in the region, Employ-line, allowing clients access to documents and legal information through its portal.
Other key lawyers:
‘I have found Alan Lewis to be extremely thorough in all my dealings with him, and I know that because of this, all my contracts of employment are watertight. I have had problems with staff in the past and Alan has scrupulously prepared me for formal disciplinary hearings which have avoided the employees concerned taking matters further to an Employment Tribunal.’
‘Very able technical lawyers who research thoroughly the necessary law to ensure that the advice is up to date and accurate.’
‘Alan Lewis and Joanne Alvey are really competent lawyers who care deeply about they are doing.’
‘I have used Linder Myers a number of times for employment and property work and have never been disappointed.’
Martin & Co's employment team has a strong track record in the education sector, acting for further education colleges, academies and private schools. Led by the 'very knowledgeable and experienced' John Martin, the department also has experience handling executive termination work and complex discrimination matters, with a presence in the IT sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘John Martin and his team are very approachable and quick to respond to any employment law query. They provide clear advice which is easy to understand and put into practice.’
‘John Martin is very knowledgeable and experienced. Advice imparted is clear and concise. He quickly grasps the issues to provide clear guidance on the best approach to take with any employment matter.’
‘The team at Martin & Co are very knowledgeable and provide the right inputs and advice. They are able to advise in a simple manner to ensure that the situation is well understood.’
‘The solicitors at Martin & Co are very responsive and make themselves available at times of need. They have a good knowledge of our employment practices and have knowledge sharing internally which helps either of them to pick it up in the absence of the other.’
‘John and his team have a good understanding of the issues the sector faces and this ensures all advice is tailored and relevant. The team respond to queries very quickly and are very customer-focused. We have received an excellent service from Martin and Co for many years now.’
‘John is a very knowledgeable and experienced lawyer who consistently provides sensible and pragmatic advice to me and managers within the College. John takes time to understand the issue and to provide reliable advice.’
‘John Martin is an experienced and expert employment lawyer. John has a very personable style; he has an eye for detail and the ability to quickly identify the key issues and assess risk. His advice is always clear, concise and balanced which generates great confidence in others. His calmness and professionalism are very reassuring.’
‘John Martin has a great understanding of our business and always provides a solution to the issue.’
St Bede’s College
Keolis Amey Metrolink
David Lewis Centre
Manchester Health Academy
- Defended Keolis Amey Metrolink against three complex Employment Tribunal Claims.
- Advised Keolis Amey Metrolink on industrial relations issues and possible strike action.
- Defended Oldham College against a claim for discrimination in the Employment Tribunal.
After the departure of practice head Karen Bexley in 2019, Gareth Matthews was promoted to head of department at MLP Law LLP, which acts for large international corporations, SMEs and high-level executives in the North West, handling both contentious and non-contentious employment issues. It primarily advises clients in the hospitality, retail, construction, and chemical manufacturing sectors.
Led by Clitheroe-based Steven Meyerhoff, Backhouse Jones' team specialises in advising clients in the transport sector, including road haulage operators and logistics businesses, bus operators, coach operators, and trade associations. The team has particular expertise in unfair dismissal, bullying, harassment and victimisation matters, as well as worker status issues, restrictive covenants and industrial action.
Road Haulage Association Limited
British Association of Removers Limited
Warrington Borough Transport Limited
Stagecoach Group plc
McCarthy Haulage Limited
- Helped devise the Road Haulage Association’s legal services subscription scheme, which allows the organisation’s members to take full control of their legal budget.
- Sole law firm engaged to design and deliver a nationwide programme of roadshows, webinars and a supporting helpline which was launched by the Road Haulage Association to prepare haulage companies for a no-deal Brexit.
Headed by 'extremely diligent' senior associate Tom Evans, DTM Legal LLP’s employment practice handles both non-contentious and contentious employment matters, with particular expertise in restructurings, redundancies, and the employment aspects of commercial transactions. Evans specialises in complex Employment Tribunal matters and high-value shareholder disputes.
‘DTM has given us good quality advice always. Documents that they send over for use are always accurate and individually tailored for our business. Billing is prompt and clear.’
‘Tom Evans is very good at communicating; he also runs breakfast meeting for HR professionals which is a great way to stay abreast of employment law changes, but also about being introduced to ideas that are not currently impacting our business but forms good knowledge for future use.’
‘The practice is knowledgeable about the business and therefore their advice, when sought, is prompt and efficient.’
‘Tom Evans is extremely diligent, quick to respond and thorough and precise with his advice.’
‘DTM’s employment department has dealt with a couple of matters on our behalf. They have dealt with all matters efficiently, providing clear advice on employment law, whilst also understanding the commercial aspects of suggested actions.
‘Tom Evans is knowledgeable and approachable – an absolute asset to the business.’
CSA Group Testing UK Limited
Ellison Europe Limited
Cygnet Texkimp Limited
Proximo Holdings Limited
Atlas Copco IAS UK Limited
Calder Industrial Materials Limited
Quality Freight Limited
Rotex Europe Limited
Mando Group Limited
Zachery Daniels Limited
Andrew Collinge Holdings Limited
Surgitrac Instruments Group Limited
Angel Solutions Limited
Building Careers (UK) Limited
United Air Power Limited
Esterform Packaging Limited
O’Connors Legal Services Limited
Thornton Hall Hotel Limited
Huxley Johnston Limited
I Data Limited
Connah`s Quay Primary Care Resource Centre Management Company Limited
Typhoo Tea Limited
Village Bakery (Coedpoeth) Limited
Eaton Golf Club
Parkin S Booth & Co
27 Stars Limited
QD Services Ltd
Phoenix Liability Services Limited
CVR Global LLP
Holiday Gems Limited
Evoke Creative Limited
- Successfully defended an Employment Tribunal claim brought against Thornton Hall Hotel Limited by a former employee with potential high value unfair dismissal, holiday and arrears of pay claims.
- Provided employment support to corporate colleagues on the sale of Quality Freight (UK) Limited to Peel Ports Group. Advising senior management on terms of service agreements.
- Advised Phoenix Liability Services Limited’s board on the commercial terms and employment law (TUPE) aspects of taking over the large-scale handling of insurance files on behalf of Aspen Insurance UK Services Limited.
Ellis Whittam Ltd
'Highly specialised employer-focused firm' Ellis Whittam Ltd is particularly active in complex litigation, trade union issues and TUPE. Jane Hallas and Angela Carter are the two key members of the team, which advises an assortment of large, medium and small businesses, predominantly those in the retail, manufacturing, hospitality, professional services and education sectors.
‘The firm really wants to understand our business so that they can give the best possible advice.’
‘This is an extremely responsive and cohesive team that provides excellent instructions and deals with problems head-on in a no-nonsense manner. They are very client focused and that means they are assiduous and conscientious in everything they do.’
‘Ellis Whittam’s team have focused on building strong relationships with us, to really understand our business and what is important to us. They listen, provide pragmatic advice to help us resolve sometimes complex situations. Response times are always quick.’
‘They are a highly specialised employer-focused firm. They are very knowledgeable, with a wide range of client-focused services and varied opportunities for delivery to the client.’
‘The team are highly responsive, insightful in their advice comprehending the commercial pragmatism – which needs to be fundamental to our considered view and any resulting actions.’
‘Jane Hallas is an exemplary lawyer – but one who is level headed, down to earth and eminently sensible in the experienced advice and support she consistently provides.’
‘Ellis Whittam uses qualified and very experienced employment lawyers to deal with HR advice. They support is through the whole process from initial advice on a matter to drafting letters and advising throughout a process. They are very good at understanding the issues and also understand us as an organisation and the way we tend to approach things.’
Manchester Grammar School
Royal Hospital Chelsea
The Works Stores Ltd
Archdiocese of Liverpool
National Hairdressers Federation
- Successfully represented Manchester Grammar School before both the Employment and Employment Appeal Tribunal in a case which considered general points of law in respect of both the scope of internal investigations and the disclosure of evidence in disciplinary proceedings.
- Advised a leading food manufacturer on the de-recognition of a trade union and the subsequent statutory recognition procedure which led to a more limited recognition agreement.
- Advising a leading independent school on its acquisition of a sixth form college including advice on TUPE, due diligence, the election of representatives, the provision of information and consultation over proposed measures regarding post-transfer restructuring.
Freeths LLP is particularly active on the employment aspects of commercial deals for employers and shareholders, including disposals, acquisitions, management buyouts and reorganisations. The team, led by Charlotte Rees-John, also advises high-net-worth individuals in settlement agreements and negotiating high-value exits. Food and drink, hospitality, and the leisure sectors are key areas of strength.
‘Direct and personal service, out of hours as required, always available in these difficult times.’
‘They are all genuinely interested in our business and being our partners, not just billing hours. Fees are all reasonable and as we have agreed, no unpleasant surprises.’
‘The team has a friendly approach and strong commerciality – always supporting our best interests.’
Aldi Stores Limited
Pure Gym Limited
Colosseum Dental UK Limited
Stockport Borough Council
LMC (The Consortium of Local Medical Committees of Lancashire and Cumbria)
JM Fitness Limited
Direct Collection Bailiffs Limited Star Brands Limited
Archibald Bathgate Group
- Advising Direct Collection Bailiffs Limited on a rehaul of all of its contracts with employees and bailiffs.
- Advising Star Brands Limited on and facilitating buy-in management buyout in terms of the employment law aspects of the transaction.
- Advising Panintelligence Limited on the employment law aspects of a £3.5m investment into the client’s company by YFM Equity Partners and Comhar Capital.
Nexus Solicitors Limited
Nexus Solicitors Limited's team primarily assists public sector clients, particularly schools and local authorities. It also advises private entities on board disputes, senior executive terminations, due diligence and TUPE related issues. Director Louise Carr heads the department.
Other key lawyers:
- Provides day to day HR/employment advice to the Sovereign Trust, an expanding multi academy trust with four academies.
- Advises Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council on employment matters.
- Represented claimants in a group action in relation to a failure to inform and consult under TUPE against an NHS Trust service provider.