At Carey Olsen LLP, the group advises on BVI, Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Jersey and Guernsey matters from its London base. Under the leadership of Jasmine Amaria , the team has been active in large multi-jurisdictional financial mandates for global banks, as well as borrower counsel for corporate clients. Litigator Richard Brown handles all manners of commercial disputes with a focus on insolvency, asset recovery, and fraud related instructions. Co-head Jan Golaszewski has also strengthened the firm's Cayman litigation offering after relocating to London in 2021, and is recommended for international disputes and arbitrations. Also in the team is counsel Sheba Raza who focuses on Bermuda and BVI matters, particularly, restructuring transactions. Counsel Lizzie Chamberlain joined from Macfarlanes LLP and has enhanced the group's Jersey law expertise.
Offshore firms in London in London
Carey Olsen LLP
Jasmine Amaria; Richard Brown; Jan Golaszewski
Other key lawyers:
‘Significant partner attention and responsive, knowledgeable service. Presence in all key off shore jurisdictions with excellent industry knowledge.’
‘Sheba Raza is a user-friendly, responsive and knowledgeable lawyer.’
‘Richard Brown – he is an excellent lawyer, he is clever and dedicated. He knows his way around insolvency and civil fraud work. He is already a star of the offshore world.’
‘Carey Olsen have a London based BVI and Cayman practice headed by Jasmine Amaria and Sheba Raza. We act for a vast number of companies incorporated in these jurisdictions. These are high value time sensitive transactions. We know that we can rely upon Carey Olsen to provide a first class professional service for all our needs in these jurisdictions. As the team are based in London they are easily contactable and are very responsive. They take time to understand the transaction and work with us deliver what is required.’
‘Jasmine Amaria and Sheba Raza are leading individuals that we work with. Whilst they have a great team working for them, they take a genuine lead on matters.’
Ad Hoc Group of bondholders in Luckin Coffee Inc.
Global Cord Blood Corporation
Great Simplicity Investment Corporation
Virgin Active group of companies
Stoneway Capital Corporation
The Federal Republic of Nigeria
SuperSeed Capital Limited
Tencent Holdings Limited
- Represented Great Simplicity Investment Corporation Tech in a claim against Bitmain Technologies Holding Company (“Bitmain”), a major cryptocurrency mining and AI business, in which the client was a founding shareholder.
- Acting for the clients in relation to the provisional liquidation and restructuring of Luckin Coffee Inc.
- Provided BVI corporate advice to the Virgin Active group on its solvent restructuring and related suite of documents implemented through three separate but inter-conditional restructuring plans under Part 26A of the UK Companies Act 2006, along with various other consensual compromises involving the shareholders, the Virgin brand licensor and certain other creditors.
Backed by its dominant British Virgin Islands practice and expertise in Cayman Islands law, Harneys top-tier practice in London is recognized as one of the ‘go-to’ firms and is singled out for its strong litigation offering. Spearheaded by global head of banking and corporate Russell Willings, the group’s recent highlights include acting for Vieco 10 Limited in its $228m merger with NextGen Acquisition Co. Indira Birkwood advises leading international financial institutions and real estate investment companies on cross-border structured finance, while William Peake remains the lead contact for onshore firms. The core team also features new managing partner of the London office; Rachel Graham works closely with the firm's fiduciary practice and litigator Phillip Kite who excels in high-profile insolvency cases. Elsewhere, Matthew Howson who heads the private wealth group, is now counsel, and highly rated Francesca Gibbons was promoted to the partnership.
Other key lawyers:
Indira Birkwood; William Peake; Rachel Graham; Philip Kite; Matthew Howson; Francesca Gibbons
‘Harneys has a large London office for an offshore firm, staffed by lawyers who have lived and worked in the offshore jurisdictions in which they practice (unlike many BVI lawyers in UK and Channel Islands). The fact that Harneys is the only one of the major offshore firms that was founded and headquartered in BVI means it still is the go-to firm for BVI work.’
‘Francesca Gibbons: hard-working and diligent with a solicitor’s experience, organisation and skills. It’s clear that, throughout a matter’s life, Francesca keeps the client’s desired outcome very much in focus. Her promotion to partnership was well deserved as it seems that the London office has been reliant on her for a long time.’
‘Rachel Graham is probably the most experienced BVI corporate partner in the UK market. Matthew Howson: private wealth specialist whose personality makes him a pleasure to work with. All of the above have lived and worked in BVI.’
‘Rachel Graham is a perfect example of an expert in their field. She is clear, concise and very responsive as and when issues arise. Her friendly nature and willingness to collaborate to resolve any issues that come up makes her our go to BVI lawyer for issuers incorporated in this jurisdiction. Added to this, she has to core skill of being incredibly likeable – both from the perspective of our team, and also that of our clients.’
‘Strong team with timezone coverage due to London office and BVI office. Very strong in the BVI market and one of the “go to” firms. Francesca Gibbons is fantastic to work with an always responsive. Andrew Thorp is a master of the BVI.’
‘Rachel Graham, provide expert advice promptly, are incredibly personable and have always delivered for our mutual clients on transactions that we have worked on. In particular, they provide BVI company advice for BVI issuers listing in London, including assisting with legal opinions, set up of depositary interests and completion mechanics for M&A transactions.‘
Vieco 10 Limited
Bradda Head Holdings Limited
The Joint Receivers of the Axiom Funds
Duff & Phelps; joint official liquidators of SIFCO5
Liquidators of Ocean Sino Limited
Aviva Commercial Finance
Platinum Whisky Investment Fund
- Acting on behalf of lithium exploration company, Bradda Head Holdings Ltd., in relation to its recent admission to AIM with a highly attractive portfolio of US lithium assets.
- Acted as lead counsel throughout the life of the Platinum Whisky Investment Fund which launched 7 years ago and which redeemed out its final shareholders in September 2021.
- Acting for the joint official liquidators of SIFCO5, one of the Defendants, since the commencement of the litigation and has played a central and lead role generally in Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi & Brothers Company (AHAB) v Al-Sanea & Ors; a high-profile and much publicised $9.2bn claim involving allegations of fraud arising from one of the largest corporate collapses of the financial crisis.
Maples Group maintains an ‘excellent’ practice and is highlighted for its ‘well-resourced and dedicated’ Cayman Islands team which handles the full spectrum of matters as well as providing Irish and Jersey law advice through its desks. Overseen by managing partner Heidi De Vries, the team features Harjit Kaur who specializes in funds and investment management, and Jonathan Caulton who heads the finance team. ‘An expert in his field’, Matthew Gilbert is head of the London based BVI practice and focuses on compliance and regulatory work for BVI companies. On the corporate side, Jack Marriott‘s practice covers public and private M&A, debt financing and restructurings. Counsel Alex Way is based in the firm’s private client department.
Heidi de Vries
Other key lawyers:
Harjit Kaur; Jonathan Caulton; Jack Marriott; Matthew Gilbert; Alex Way; Joanna Russell
‘This was my first experience of Maples in London. I had not realised what a large practice it was and was very impressed with the attention we received. As a late addition, they quickly fitted into the existing adviser group with no friction. Just what we wanted!’
‘Alex Way has gone from strength to strength – he operates technically at the level of a partner. He was promoted last year, a long awaited recognition of his contribution.’
‘Matt Gilbert and Joanna Russell are a delight to work with. They are pragmatic, focused and responsive; also very good humoured and work alongside you seamlessly.’
‘Maples are an excellent firm and we often refer legal opinion work to them. They are competitive on fees and easy to work with. Jo Russell is responsive, collaborative and just a breath of fresh air to deal with. Matt Gilbert’s humour and calm advice make him refreshing to work alongside.’
‘They are a very personable team and their communication skills and availability ensure that any deals we work on run as smoothly as possible from an overseas perspective. The team is always well resourced and work is carried out within designated timescales.’
‘Jo Russell and Matt Gilbert are both very knowledgeable and clearly experts in their field. It is great to work with a team that you can always trust to deliver excellent advice, support you throughout the deal and communicate effectively. They are also very transparent on costs, providing a clear scope of work at the outset and updating on fees throughout the transaction. They are a pleasure to work with.’
‘The Maples finance practice in London is not only a market leader, but also covers a significant range of offshore jurisdictions. The team is never afraid of a challenge, and the service is always seamless and collegiate. The quality of advice and service has always been spectacular across all teams and jurisdictions.’
‘Jonathan Caulton is pragmatic and commercial in helping to find solutions for our deals. He is exceptional, very commercial and unflappable – a very skilled negotiator.’
Hedosophia European Growth
Leo III Holdings
LXi Reit PLC
Platinum Securities Cayman SPC Limited
Nordic Aviation Capital
Clean Energy Transition LLC
- Advised Hedosophia European Growth on the Cayman Islands legal aspects of its SPAC IPO and listing on Euronext (Amsterdam). This was the first Cayman SPAC to list on Euronext (Amsterdam) since 2008.
- Advised EverArc Holdings Limited on the BVI and Luxembourg legal matters relating to EverArc’s entry into a definitive agreement with SK Invictus Holdings S.à.r.l. to acquire 100% of SK Invictus Intermediate S.à.r.l., the ultimate parent company of Perimeter Solutions, a leading global manufacturer of high-quality firefighting products and lubricant additives, in a transaction valued at approximately $2bn, consisting of cash and preferred shares.
- Acted as Cayman Islands legal counsel to three Cayman Islands entities; Energy Dynamics Fund Limited, Energy Dynamics Master L.P. and Clean Energy Transition GP I Limited. The transaction involved the spin out of the $2.2bn (as at December 2021) fund structure managed by Per Lekander from Lansdowne Partners, and the establishment of a new management company (Clean Energy Transition LLP) to house its clean energy capabilities as a stand-alone specialist entity.
Operating at ‘the top of the market’, Walkers’ Cayman Islands focused practice is highlighted for its robust expertise across banking and finance, investment funds and litigation. Managing partner Jack Boldarin is consistently singled out for his transactional expertise in BVI law. Backed by an enviable client roster made up of leading US and European banks and energy companies including Saudi Aramco, the team has an extensive coverage across the EMEA region. Key contacts include newly promoted parter Catherine Overton, joint heads of insolvency Fraser Hern and John O’Driscoll , and Sara Hall who heads the regulatory practice. Tatziana Paraguacuto co-heads the investment funds practice with Hughie Wong . On the asset finance side, Mark Galazzi is the key name. The group also has a London based Bermuda team led by Neil McDonald and Patrick Ormond who is rated by clients.
Jack Boldarin; Hughie Wong
Other key lawyers:
Tatziana Paraguacuto; Neil McDonald; Fraser Hern; John O’Driscoll; Sara Hall; Catherine Overton; James Denham; Patrick Ormond; Matthew Bloomfield
‘A core team of top professionals with access to round the clock experts. Neil McDonald is across all of the key issues on a case and is very easy to deal with. James Denham provides a top quality client service with amazing attention to detail..‘
‘Great client service, competitive fees and very responsive. James Denham in particular is my go to person on all matters where there is an overseas element. Fraser Hern – thoughtful advice combining legal analysis with an understanding of the commercial situation.‘
‘At the top of the market. Very responsive. Technically excellent. User-friendly: helpful, clear advice delivered efficiently. The number one choice, every time.’
‘Jack Boldarin: phenomenally responsively, technically superb, a pleasure to work with, on top of all detail. A genuinely impressive operator. Catherine Overton: knows her stuff, user-friendly, hard-working and switched on. Always a pleasure to work with. Patrick Ormond: technically excellent, has the usual superb responsiveness of a Walkers lawyer, very easy to work with.’
‘Patrick Ormond stands out as an excellent lawyer. He’s technically able, very responsive, pragmatic and cost-effective in his approach.’
‘Hughie Wong is one of the smartest guys in the business, as well as being personable and helpful. Matt Bloomfield is incredibly responsive, commercial and really goes the extra mile to provide clients with solutions. Tatziana Paraguacuto is fantastically experienced – she’s seen it all and knows exactly what does and doesn’t work in practice – not just in theory.’
‘Sara Hall and Patrick Ormond are brilliant. A wonderful corporate and regulatory combination. Both were very client-centric, available whenever I needed them and took the time to understand my business and needs. I have no hesitation recommending both to prospective clients.’
‘Jack Boldarin rightly stands out as a leading legal practitioner both on BVI and Cayman law. His in depth knowledge, responsiveness and efficiency are among his top qualities, but he has also excellent management skills and is also great in coordinating cross border transactions and seeing to their successful closing. Jack is very well respected and rightly ranked in top tier in his areas of expertise, banking and finance. Jack is preferred counsel of very prestigious clients which include large financial institutions and top global private equity groups.‘
Standard Chartered Bank
The Blackstone Group
- Acted for Walgreen Boots Alliance in connection with a corporate restructuring in relation to the sale of its pharmaceutical wholesale business to AmerisourceBergen Corporation, with the company deploying proceeds of $6.5bn to reduce debt and accelerate growth of its core retail pharmacy and healthcare businesses.
- Advised Queens Gambit Growth Capital, a NASDAQ listed Cayman Islands incorporated SPAC on the Cayman Islands and BVI aspects of its business combination with SWVL Inc., the BVI incorporated tech start-up which provides transformative mass transit and shared mobility solutions.
- Aacted as BVI counsel to the senior lenders on the $450,000,000 senior financing related to the acquisition by TNOG Oil and Gas of a stake in OML-17, an onshore asset in Nigeria.
Singled out for its ‘commercial pragmatism’, Bedell Cristin’s London based financial services practice has a track record acting exclusively in Jersey law transactions, covering investment funds, corporate finance work and debt equity listings. Jointly managed by Bruce Scott, who is highlighted as an ‘absolute star’, and Tom Davies, who handles corporate real estate deals, the wider team includes senior associate Adam Bartels who handles borrower side financing transactions and Nkechi Hokstad who advises on acquisitions. ‘Excellent associate’ Daniel McAviney is rated by clients for his expertise in energy transactions and has demonstrable strength advising on bonds and loan notes for large US private equity houses.
Bruce Scott; Tom Davies
Other key lawyers:
Adam Bartels; Nkechi Hokstad; Daniel McAviney
‘Bedell Cristin have been extremely loyal and dependable in the service they have provided to us. Their clear approach, responsiveness and reliability is greatly appreciated by the team here. I have also found Bedell Cristin a pleasure to deal with in terms of fee quotes and scope. They are good value for money and always show a commercial understanding of the business constraints and need for certainty. Their approach is refreshing (and, frankly, unusual)! We wouldn’t instruct another law firm for Jersey advice if Bedell Cristin are available to act.’
‘Bruce Scott – very pleasant to deal with, friendly, warm, commercial and responsive. Both a nice man and a good lawyer. Nkechi Hokstad is our go-to contact and has been very supportive of our business. She gets things done without any hassle. Nkechi is reliable, she has a great commercial approach and she is very easy to deal with.’
‘Bruce Scott is an absolute star. He is quite simply amazing to work with. We struggle to work with anybody else on his type of work.’
‘The Bedell Cristin team are incredibly user friendly, proactive and capable across the biggest transactions. What stands out most is the commercial pragmatism they bring to their advice – they are a solution orientated team that delivers time and again.’
‘Daniel McAviney is an excellent associate, and someone on which I can rely to produce high quality work and under time pressure. Dan clearly has great commercial awareness, and is able to understand the key concepts of a transaction, and the offshore work involved, in a short amount of time which is a key asset given these transactions are often operating on very tight timeframes. Dan is knowledgeable about energy transactions generally, and also on the key features of offshore law that apply to a particular deal. Dan is responsive and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Daniel McAviney is always super responsive and combines being commercial with great technical advice. Feels like a very safe pair of hands and always hits the deadlines he’s set. Bruce Scott is similarly always readily available and always has a good handle on his matters.’
‘Bruce Scott and Nkechi Hokstad are definitely stand-out members of the team. They are highly responsive and nothing is too much trouble. They are commercial, pragmatic and very hard working. They have a very strong understanding of wider deal issues, and bring to bear their considerable experience in a sensible and valuable way.’
‘Great team; always very responsive, be it in response to ad hoc questions or to substantive issues on live matters. The fact they cover all of the Channel Islands with good integration between their offices is a very obvious bonus.’
AXA Real Estate
Barrick Gold Corporation
Cindat Capital Management
Deutsche Finance International
Exeter Property Group
Global Student Accommodation
Harrison Street Real Estate Capital
iQ Student Accommodation
M&G Investment Management
Oryx Real Estate Partners
Permodalan Nasional Berhad
PGIM Real Estate
Secure Income REIT plc
The Scottish Salmon Company PLC
Unite Students / The Unite Group Plc
Urbanest Student Accommodation
Vitruvian Partners LLP
- Advised PGIM (circa $1.5tn AUM) in relation to its acquisition of Montana Capital Partners AG.
- Advised Blackstone (and/or funds administered by Blackstone) on over £2.5bn of corporate real estate acquisitions and sales and accompanying financings and re-financings of similar levels and in relation to their £10bn Euro Medium Term Note Programme.
- Advised BentallGreenOak as manager of West End of London Property Unit Trust in connection with the £1bn development of the UK’s largest all-electric net-zero carbon office scheme at 105 Victoria Street in central London.
Forbes Hare is ‘practical, straightforward and client friendly’ and remains active across the British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands and the Caribbean, and is overseen by banking partner Karen Gilbert in London. The team’s coverage includes corporate finance, investment funds, dispute resolution and cross-border insolvency work. On the litigation side, Robert Nader and William Hare are the key contacts for large-scale litigations, particularly across trusts and commercial arbitrations. The practice continues to be instructed across property-focused finance transactions and has an extensive contentious offering. Associate Michael Doyle has strength in M&A matters for fund managers and directors.
Karen Gilbert; Robert Nader; William Hare; Catherine Ross
‘Practical, straight forward, efficient and client-friendly approach. Catherine Ross has a great feel for what is needed in any situation.’
‘Forbes Hare’s leaders are deeply experienced in offshore and cross-border matters in a way that few other firms are. While considered a boutique, their team often has more depth of experience and a bigger team than larger firms.’
‘Always available, great turnaround times to get work done and collaborative. Key thing is they make the client look good. Karen Gilbert – no task is too difficult.’
‘The FH team have restructed a number of our fund and SPV offerings and the process was efficient and nearly painless.’
Portage Biotech Inc.
8i Acquisition 2 Corp
Floreat Real Estate Limited
Ernst & Young
Mitsuji Konoshita and APF Group
Scienjoy Holding Corporation
- Acting with Herbert Smith Freehills for the Floreat Group in major investment funds litigation in the BVI and Cayman Islands.
- Acted as BVI legal counsel to 8i Acquisition 2 Corp (SPAC) on its NASDAQ listing.
- Acted as BVI and Cayman legal counsel to the Business Combination (DeSPAC) between Goldenbridge Acquisition Ltd a BVI business company incorporated as a blank check company and AgiiPlus, Inc., a Cayman Islands exempted company pursuant to a merger agreement.
Mourant’s BVI, Cayman Islands and Jersey focused practice is ‘very strong on technical advice’ with key activity in banking and finance, international trusts and investment funds. Consultant Tony Pursall is based within the private client department and advises trustees, beneficiaries and banks, while Christopher Harlowe splits his time between London and Cayman Islands and is noted for his expertise in international corporate restructuring and insolvency related litigation. Over in the Cayman Islands, Luke Burgess-Shannon supports on international disputes.
Christopher Harlowe; Alexandra Woodcock; John Rochester; Tony Pursall; Ian Montgomery
Other key lawyers:
‘Good team covering trusts sector in multiple jurisdictions. Very strong on technical advice. Tony Pursall is very strong technically, very thorough and experienced.‘
‘There is much depth in the Mourant team globally and they have multiple jurisdictions covered which makes for joined up and helpful advice when dealing with international structures.’
‘Tony Pursall is a hugely capable and intelligent lawyer with multijurisdictional experience which makes him an invaluable part of any legal team dealing across the Mourants offices.’
Capitve Holdings Inc
- Acting for the petitioner, MedImpact Hong Kong Limited, in presenting a just and equitable winding up petition of a JV Vehicle, MedImpact Arabia Limited, in which it holds a 50% shareholding.
- Instructed by five solvent segregated portfolios to ensure their removal from the insolvent segregated portfolio structure through novations of assets and liabilities into Newcos.