Energy and infrastructure in London
Allen & Overy LLP's strong bench of energy and infrastructure specialists handle the full range of work for clients in the sector, with the firm's transactional and finance expertise backed up by capabilities covering environmental, regulatory, competition, tax, employment and planning issues. The global infrastructure group is led by David Lee; former energy co-head Gareth Price was recently appointed as the magic circle firm's new managing partner.
Ashurst has a well earned reputation for its 'breadth and depth' and its strong team of specialist lawyers. Its multidisciplinary team is led by Joss Dare in projects; Terry van Poortvliet in transport and infrastructure; Antony Skinner in power and utilities and Michael Burns in the oil and gas space. The firm combines top-tier expertise in the areas of renewable and conventional power, coupled with a strong offering in social infrastructure and transportation, which saw the team advising Transport for London in relation to the landmark Silvertown Tunnel project, the largest PPP closed in the UK. Within infrastructure, Philip Vernon advises funders, sponsors and governmental bodies on the management and operation of major projects across multiple sectors. Patrick Boyle specialises in project financing of infrastructure and renewable energy projects.
‘They truly offer both breadth and depth to clients. Each lawyer specialises in sectors and/or areas of law (project finance, construction, environment) within the group, so that specialist input is readily available from experts who understand the context of the transaction.’
‘I have yet to see another firm collaborate as effectively to give seamless advice. Works is flowed down appropriately with recognition of the complexity of the transactions and the value of experience.’
Allianz Global Investors GmbH
Amey Keolis Infrastructure / Seilwaith Amey Keolis Limited
Assured Guaranty (Europe) plc
Babcock International Plc
Balfour Beatty Investments
BAM PPP PGGM Infrastructure Cooperative UA
Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
Blackrock Infrastructure Fund
- Advising the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) on the landmark £4.2bn Thames Tideway Tunnel project.
- Advised a group of international banks, comprising of the Korea Development Bank, European Investment Bank and the Governor and Company of the Bank of Ireland on the financing of the first social housing bundle PPP in Ireland.
- Advised the sponsor, Aviva Investors, on a greenfield waste gasification project in the North East of England. When operational, the plant will generate around 25MW per hour of electricity and process around 240,000 tonnes of municipal, commercial and industrial waste each year.
Clifford Chance LLP is 'technically excellent' across the energy and infrastructure sector, advising on some of the largest infrastructure financings and M&A transactions in the sector. Its key mandates have included advising Infracapital/Energetics on their acquisition of 65% stake in UK Power Solutions and and the infrastructure investment fund managed by JP Morgan Asset Management on its acquisition of a 43.1% stake in North Sea Midstream Partners from the Kuwait Investment Authority. Michael Bates and Toby Parkinson, who has rejoined the practice from an in-house position, are noted for their experience handling top-end infrastructure M&A deals. Michael Pearson co-heads the PPP group and advises governments, sponsors, investors and lenders on greenfield infrastructure projects. James Boswell is the leading figure for infrastructure financings.
‘Excellent sector knowledge from working on a large number of the highest profile transactions. Technically excellent. Strength in depth across the firm.’
‘Clifford Chance has a transaction track record second to none. They are accurate and reliable in execution and provide strong intellectual sparring partners. They offer flexible solutions and are commercial in their approach to negotiations. Clifford Chance are certainly a name to go to in infrastructure.’
‘Toby Parkinson (partner) has good sector knowledge and is technically excellent. He has good client understanding from having worked in-house in a similar sector.’
‘Toby is an excellent and a commercial M&A lawyer. He finds practical solutions to legally complicated situations and removes this complexity from the transaction team’
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets
Partners Group (Infra)
- Advised Elenia Oy, the second largest electricity distribution system operator in Finland, on the successful divestment of its district heating business, Elenia Lämpö Oy (Elenia Heat).
- Advised Arcus Infrastructure on the sale of its 40% interest in Alpha Trains to APG.
- Advised British Columbia Investment Management Corporation as a member of the consortium on its acquisition of a 50.04% stake in Innogy Grid Holding, a Czech Republic-based gas distribution grid operator, from RWE, for a consideration of €1.8bn.
A recognised name in infrastructure M&A transactions as well as PFI/PPP work, CMS is led by Munir Hassan on energy, while Paul Smith and Kristy Duane spearhead the infrastructure and project finance group. Smith acts for sponsors and lenders and the secondary market sector, while Duane has a busy practice advising infrastructure funds and contractors on capital raising, M&A and investments. Hassan is a well known figure in the renewable power space, and has recently acted alongside Charles Currier on Irish energy company ESB's partnership with EDF Renewables to jointly develop an offshore wind farm in Scotland. New appointed partner, Louise Dalton is a name to note in the renewables and energy transition space.
Development Bank of Japan
ECRA (Saudi Arabia)
Johnson & Johnson
Korea Gas Corporation (Kogas)
Mainstream Renewable Power
Power Northern Ireland
Qatar Investment Authority
The Renewable Infrastructure Group
- Advised Brookfield Renewable Partners, on its definitive agreement with KKR to form a 50/50 joint venture to acquire X-Elio, one of the world’s largest independent solar platforms.
- Advising Pivot Power, the U.K. battery developer and EV developer, which is developing a £1.6bn, 2.25 GW portfolio of battery storage projects and related EV connections business, on its sale to EDF.
- Advised The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited, a fund managed by InfraRed Capital Partners, on the acquisition of a 25% indirect equity interest in Gode Wind 1, a 330MW offshore wind farm located in the Germany North Sea, from Global Infrastructure Partners.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP has strong international capabilities across energy and infrastructure, and advises on a broad range of matters including major M&A deals, projects and disputes, working with clients including sponsors, contractors, funds, banks and governments. Global head of infrastructure Patrick Mitchell and global energy head Lewis McDonald are both based in London; the latter is able to draw on significant experience gained from previous stints working in a number of the firm's APAC bases.
Hogan Lovells International LLP has impressive credentials in the energy and infrastructure space, with a strong presence in all key international markets. The practice represents financial institutions, project sponsors, investors, private equity funds and governments. London partner Philip Robb is global head of infrastructure, energy, resources and projects.
Latham & Watkins has been steadily building up its London energy and infrastructure offering in recent years with a series of high-profile hires from major UK competitors. Former Allen & Overy LLP partner Conrad Andersen now serves as global vice chair of the US firm’s energy and infrastructure industry group; he works with ex-Clifford Chance LLP infrastructure transactions specialist Brendan Moylan and former Herbert Smith Freehills LLP global energy co-head John Balsdon; all three joined the firm during 2017 and 2018. Private equity specialist John Guccione also recently joined from OMERS Infrastructure.
Global powerhouse Linklaters LLP is recognised for its deep bench in London and its network of energy and infrastructure specialists spanning corporate, project finance, infrastructure and structured finance and PPP work. Daniel Tyrer, Ian Andrews, Stuart Rowson, Fiona Hobbs and Jessamy Gallagher are the leading partners for top-end infrastructure M&A and project financing mandates. Recent examples include advising AviAlliance on its bid to acquire a 30% stake in Athens International Airport from the Greek state and working with the Department for Transport to finalise a £2bn rescue package for Crossrail. In the power sector, Jeremy Gewirtz, Richard Coar and Richard Ginks are highly active advising government, funders and sponsors on big-ticket conventional power and renewables developments. Managing associate Francesca Matthews is also of note.
Arqiva Limited ntl Broadcast
OMERS Infrastructure Management
Allianz Capital Partners
AXA Investment Management
JP Morgan Asset Management Int Ltd
Neart Na Gaoithe Offshore Wind Limited
Dogger Bank Offshore Wind Farm Project 1 ProjCo Ltd
Seagreen Wind Energy Ltd
OGCI Climate Investments
The Bahrain Petroleum Company
Glencore International AG
UK water companies (including Southern Water, Anglian and Welsh Water)
RBS Europe Ltd
Rio Tinto London Ltd
Greencoat UK Wind Holdco Ltd
SSE, Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners and Red Rock Power
Green Investment Group Ltd
The Future Fund Board of Guardians
DWS and Peel Limited
Credit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
MUFG Bank Ltd
Department of Buniess, Energy and Industrial Strategy
ExxonMobil, ENI, CNPC, Galp, Kogas, ENH
Muzuho Bank and various ECAs
- Advised Bahrain Petroleum Company (BAPCO), the flagship refining company wholly owned by the Kingdom of Bahrain, on the $4bn multi-source convention and Islamic ECA-backed financing of its $6bn expansion and upgrading project of the existing oil and gas refinery.
- Advising Arqiva Group Limited on the sale of its telecoms division (towers business) to Cellnex Telecom S.A. for £2bn. Arqiva is owned by a consortium of investors including MIRA, CPPIB and IFM Investors.
- Advising Green Investment Group on its acquisition of a 40% stake n the East Anglia ONE offshore wind farm. Once commissioned in 2020, East Anglia ONE will be one of the world’s largest wind farms.
Norton Rose Fulbright is a highly reputable name in the energy and infrastructure space, with 'excellent industry know-how' and 'ability to quickly adjust and adapt to new countries and markets'. Andrew Buisson's practice specialises in PFI/PPP concession arrangements, project-financed and conventionally-funded construction contracts, and is currently active in first on the market PPP transportation transformation projects in Africa. Other key figures include head of energy, Charles Whitney and project finance specialists Martin McCann and Daniel Metcalfe. The department is headed by Robert Marsh, who is a well respected figure for alternative energy and development and the financing of renewable energy projects.
‘Excellent industry know-how, efficient and great deliverables. They have the ability to quickly adjust and adapt to new countries and markets.’
‘The NRF team is very knowledgeable on energy infrastructure contracting and adapts itself to meet the needs and preferences of the client. They are flexible in their approach but ensure that the client’s position is protected.’
‘Professional, knowledgeable and commercial. Pragmatic advice which is delivered on time and enables decision making’
Bank of Tokyo MUFG
Brookfield Renewable Power
Greencoat UK Wind plc
Ministry of Finance of Angola
Absa Bank Limited
AMG Pension Fund
Armstrong Energy Limited
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
European Investment Bank
Hellenic Republic Development Fund
Hermes Investment Management
John Laing Infrastructure
Lloyds Banking Group
Standard Chartered Bank
The Renewable Infrastructure Group Limited
Baltic Connector Oy
INA-INDUSTRIJA NAFTE, d.d. (INA) and Spain’s Tecnicas Reunidas, S.A.
TAV Havalimanlari and Al-Rajhi Group
Ministry of Finance
Eurasian Resources Group
Stanbic Bank Kenya
Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinee
Marubeni Corporation and Techint Chile S.A.
- Continuing to support the City of Ottawa on the Stage 2 Light Rail Transit Project.
- Advised a consortium of lenders on the £4.1bn refinancing of the Beatrice offshore wind project in Scotland. The consortium comprised of 29 commercial and institutional lenders.
- Advising the lenders on various lots in the Kenyan Roads Programme, which aims to construct up to 10,000 kilometres of new roads across the country. These are the first PPP projects in Kenya and are being tendered on long term contracts for design, finance, construction and maintenance of identified roads.
Baker McKenzie has an active presence across the energy and infrastructure markets, with a particular focus on high-profile international projects. The firm's energy, mining and infrastructure practice group is chaired by Chicago partner José Antonio Morán; key UK partners include Richard Blunt, who leads the energy, mining and infrastructure group in London, and Neil Donoghue, who heads the global nuclear energy practice.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP 's team advises on the full range of transactions across the energy and infrastructure sector, with particular strength in equity and debt financing transactions. Spanning the intersection of infrastructure, technology and financial services, Nicholas Myatt acts for public and private companies and financial intermediaries on M&A transactions, IPOs and secondary fundraisings and regulatory issues. As head of projects, Mark Richards has a strong reputation in PFI/PPP projects, as does associate Alexander Hadrill. Another key partner, Adam Dann , focuses on oil and gas matters, while Kiran Arora is the go-to lawyer for renewable energy and battery storage projects.
‘BCLP are a good team in the market. They are always seen as a good option for us as they know their sectors well and are always very approachable and easy to use.’
‘Mark Richards provides an excellent service’
North River Resources
Bazalgette Tunnel Limited
- Advised Goldman Sachs International on the financing aspects of Macquarie Capital’s £1.63bn acquisition of a 40% stake in the 714 MW East Anglia One offshore wind project in the UK through its Green Investment Group.
- Advising the consortium, HO-ST South Bohemian Link, on its bid for the design, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of the D4 highway in the Czech Republic.
- Advising National Grid, on the delivery of the second phase of a very significant, tunnelled 32km “electricity cable super-highway” across south London, following the successful first phase north of the river.
DLA Piper's 'versatile, punchy and hard-working' team provides 'magic circle expertise without magic circle prices' and has a strong track record in large-scale wind and solar power M&A, financings, and in the development of new technologies such as corporate power purchase agreements and battery storage. Headed by Martin Nelson-Jones, the infrastructure and transport team is prominent in big-ticket mandates, demonstrated by Colin Wilson advising the UK Department for Transport on the planned multi billion pound expansion of Heathrow Airport. Director Rubayet Choudhury is recommended for project structuring and transactions in the renewables, energy efficiency, infratech and transport sectors. Global co-chair of energy and natural resources Natasha Luther-Jones works across Leeds and London.
‘Versatile, punchy and hard-working’
‘Great staff to fill all necessary roles in a team of any size, enormous work ethic and high quality work output, focused leadership and currently the best litigation/arbitration approach of any firm in the City.’
‘The DLA Piper team is flexible and personable while providing excellent and commercially oriented legal advice from the point of a project finance bank. The team/firm has very extensive experience across geographies.’
‘Magic Circle expertise without magic circle prices’
‘Colin Wilson is a strong overall lead and very commercial. He’s close to Government matters’
City of London Corporation
Credit Suisse Energy Infrastructure Partners AG (CSEIP)
DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale
European Federation of Energy Traders (EFET)
Hitachi Rail Limited
InfraRed Capital Partners
- Advised Hitachi Rail Limited on the £400m contract to build a new fleet of intercity trains for Abellio as part of the East Midlands Railway franchise.
- Advised DekaBank Deutsche Girozentrale as lender on a 254 MW wind park located in Örnsköldsvik municipality, Sweden.
- Advising the UK Department for Transport on the high profile, multi billion pound expansion of Heathrow Airport, North West Runway.
Gowling WLG's sizeable team leverages top-tier expertise across the energy, transportation and infrastructure industry, both in the UK and further afield. Its work highlights include advising Highways England on the procurement of the £1.4bn Stonehenge project, and advising a Siemens / RenCo consortium on the development and financing of the first greenfield Independent Power Producer (IPP) in Armenia. The firm is able to offer expertise across the UK, in Birmingham, Stephen Kenny focuses on PPPs, PFIs and secondary market transactions, working alongside London colleagues including project development partner Andrew Newbery , and head of international projects, Jonathan Brufal. Giles Clifford is the go-to partner for rail and transport-related development; director Dominic Richardson specialises in PPP transactions while associate Elizabeth Williams has a strong working relationship with the Ministry of Defence.
Ministry of Defence
United States Agency for International Development Power Africa
International Finance Corporation
Government of Kenya
Department of Health
Siemens Project Ventures
Veolia Middle East
Oman Power and Water Procurement Company
Sanctuary Housing Association (Sanctuary Care)
Bacanora Lithium PLC
Bombardier Transportation (UK) Limited
Zhuzhou Times Electric Co Ltd.
- Advising Sumitomo Corporation in relation to its bid for the 2400 MW Fujairah F3 Independent Power Project in the United Arab Emirates, a greenfield Combined-Cycle Power Plant.
- Appointed as sole legal provider to Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy in respect of its 5-year, £5bn International Climate Finance programme, part of the UK Government’s flagship effort to fund projects to mitigate the impact of climate change worldwide.
- Advising sponsors in respect of a major industrial project in the Tete Province of Mozambique, involving the development of a major steel mill next to the Revuboe River, as well as the exploitation of local iron ore and coal resources.
Mayer Brown International LLP has a full service offering across mining and natural resources project development, cross border M&A and fundraising work and is able to offer clients a broad geographic reach. Ian Coles represents banks, sponsors, governments and other participants in mining transactions, and has acted alongside Robert Hamill, Rachel Speight and Jonathan Hosie in advising Sumitomo on its $1.2bn acquisition of a 30% interest in the Teck-owned Quebrada Blanca Copper Project in Chile. Bob Palmer is the lead partner for oil and gas work.
Other key lawyers:
Panama Canal Authority
Eland Oil & Gas Plc
Cyprus Hydrocarbons Company (CHC) Limited
Karoon Energy Ltd
Genel Energy plc
Soliton Resources Limited
Fairfax Financial Holdings
- Advising Africa Finance Corporation, the Nigeria-based pan-African multilateral development financial institution established to bridge Africa’s infrastructure investment gap through the provision of debt and equity finance. The team is acting for AFC on the debt, streaming and equity financing of the Segilola gold mine in Nigeria, and offtake arrangements. This is a first-in-kind mining finance mandate in Nigeria
- A cross-border team advised on Karoon’s $665m acquisition of the Bauna oil field, in the Santos Basin, Brazil. The complex transaction involved advising on M&A, finance and joint venture matters.
- Advised Nedbank Capital and Rand Merchant Bank as arrangers and senior lenders in relation to the $110m project debt facility made available to Bea Mountain Mining Corporation regarding the New Liberty gold mine in Liberia, Liberia’s first commercial gold mine.
According to one client, Shearman & Sterling LLP 'has fast become one of the top infrastructure M&A and debt teams in the City'. Iain Elder has strong relationships with sponsors and lenders in the energy sector, while other key lawyers for project development and finance include Sanja Udovicic and Nicholas Buckworth. Recently promoted partner, Anthony Lepere and senior associate Colm ÓHuiginn are recommended for energy structural, financial and operational issues across mature and emerging markets.
‘The Shearman projects team is very efficient – they are super-professional. Each team member is as effective as possible. The way they prepare documents; how they negotiate; how they substantiate a client’s position; how they make compromises and lead projects; this all makes them worth hiring. They are time-efficient, pragmatic and take a business-like approach.’
‘Shearman have fast become one of the top infrastructure M&A and debt teams in the City.’
‘A very creative and commercial team that delivers deal making solutions across both lender and sponsor mandates in the emerging markets. Equally strong in Asia, Africa and Latin America.’
‘Iain Elder is an exceptional professional with a business approach, he is not just a lawyer – he is a business lawyer and excellent negotiator, I would say he is the best in the petrochemical industry sector.’
‘Katie Hicks is an exceptional finance partner; she is one of the most commercially minded lawyers I have worked with and this skill set is extremely is very rare.’
Topaz Energy and Marine
Bahrain Petroleum Company
Golar LNG Limited
Export-Import Bank of Korea (“K-EXIM”) K-Exim
The Dow Chemical Company
Arab Republic of Egypt
Bahrain Petroleum Company (“BAPCO”)
Japan Bank for International Corporation (“JBIC”)
Export-Import Bank of Korea (“K-EXIM”)
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets
First State Investments
Westerleigh Crematoria Group
Aberdeen Standard Investments
JP Morgan managed infrastructure fund, IIF
- Acted as legal advisor to BAPCO on all aspects of the $6bn BAPCO Modernisation Program in Bahrain.
- Advised International Finance Corporation and KfW IPEX-Bank GmbH as the Senior Financing Parties in connection with the development and financing of the $1.2bn integrated LNG-to-power project located in Porto de Açu, in the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Advised Beacon Rail Leasing on the EUR 1.45bn equivalent refinancing of its senior debt facilities into a new multi-creditor common terms platform.
White & Case LLP is particularly strong in infrastructure M&A, advising a broad range of clients from corporates and private equity funds through to regulators and governments. Caroline Miller Smith leads the EMEA energy, infrastructure, project and asset finance group, while Caroline Sherrell heads up the firm's European infrastructure M&A practice. On the energy side, Rebecca Campbell leads the global mining and metals industry group and Philip Stopford is global co-head of oil and gas.
Addleshaw Goddard has a large national infrastructure, projects and energy group, with particular expertise in transport, as well as markets such as waste, outsourcing, renewable energy and healthcare. Richard Goodfellow heads up the group, which works with developers, sponsors, procuring authorities and funders.
Drawing on its broad cross disciplinary expertise, Burges Salmon LLP focuses on procurement, development and funding of innovative and high profile projects in the areas of transport, energy and defence. Julian Boswall and Ross Fairley are continuing to support Snowdonia Pumped Hydro in a landmark hydropower project. Elsewhere on the funding side, Mark Shepherd is working with ITM Power, the developer of the UK's first public hydrogen station to use wind energy to generate hydrogen by on-site electrolysis with fundraising and corporate matters. Other key partners of note in the Bristol office are Nathan Curtis, Graham Soar and director Victoria Allsopp for project financings and Nick Churchward for waste to energy projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have seen some of the best junior lawyers around at Burges Salmon, demonstrating the firm’s commitment to instilling its culture, high standards, training and development. Always responsive and reliable, I know I can rely on them for support anytime.’
‘The team have an in-depth knowledge of defence and aerospace. Working with government and industry clients.’
‘Strong market knowledge with bench strength across UK energy asset classes’
Transport for London
Bristol City Council
Transport for Wales and the Welsh Government
- Assisting Bristol City Council with procurement, fundraising and other complex matters in connection with its ‘City LEAP’ plan to raise around £1bn of investment to transform Bristol into the UK’s first smart-energy, carbon neutral city by 2030.
- Advising Capital Dynamics on £64m of debt finance provided by Aberdeen Standard Investments for The Whiteside Hill Wind Farm in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.
- Supporting GCP Infrastructure Investments and the Eden Project in Cornwall with numerous matters relating to an innovative ‘hot rocks’ geothermal heat and power project.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP handles a broad range of infrastructure work across the energy, transport and social infrastructure sectors, handling both nationally significant matters and larger-scale international work, drawing on the firm's growing global footprint. London partner Robert Pitcher co-heads the global energy and infrastructure group.
Pinsent Masons LLP
With a strong name for social and transport infrastructure in particular, the multi-jurisdictional group at Pinsent Masons LLP is 'very calm and professional under pressure and able to draw on their own knowledge and experience'. The team acts is active in procurement, corporate structuring and transactions, investments and PPP/PFI. On the infrastructure side, Robbie Owen is leading teams advising Heathrow Airport on its Expansion Programme (3rd runway) and Transport for London on its proposed Silvertown Tunnel at Blackwall. Elsewhere, Paul McGoldrick has more than 30 years experience in the oil and gas industry, while Anne-Marie Friel is standout for major civil projects.
‘The infrastructure team has well-known expertise. Its experience of infrastructure clients and their businesses makes a significant difference to their ability to support us.’
‘Strength in depth – all the team members that I have worked with to date have been excellent. Always very calm and professional under pressure and able to draw on their own knowledge and experience or, where necessary, defer to a specialist team member.’
Transport Infrastructure Ireland
John Laing Infrastructure Fund
RWE A.G. Group
Transport for London
Samsung C&T Engineering & Construction Group
Total E&P UK Limited
Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA)
Siccar Point Energy
- Advising Port of Tilbury London Limited on all aspects of the Tilbury2 scheme which involves the construction of a new port terminal and associated facilities.
- Advised Diamond Transmission Partners on its bid for, and acquisition of the Race Bank offshore wind farm transmission system from Race Bank Wind Farm Limited (a JV between Orsted Wind Power A/S and Firebolt RB Holdings Limited). The deal was part of the UK Government’s competitive offshore Tender Round 5.
- Advising on the development of the Cambo oil & gas field, West of Shetland, and the tie-in, transportation and processing arrangements through the West of Shetland Pipeline System and the Sullom Voe Terminal.
Simmons & Simmons
The 'very experienced and capable partners, lawyers and associates' at Simmons & Simmons excel at big-ticket energy and utilities infrastructure mandates, with recent examples including advising on the expansion of one of the largest and greenest power and water desalination plants in the Middle East. Iain Duncan, head of energy and natural resources, has extensive experience in transactions, as well as in partnering arrangements, finance and offtake and on development/investment agreements with host governments. Other key lawyers of note are Alex Blomfield and Adam Cooper for transactions and project financings in emerging markets, and Patrick Wallace for oil and gas and electricity.
‘Very experienced and capable partners, lawyers and associates.’
‘Iain Duncan is an exceptional lawyer and has an excellent understanding of mining finance in emerging markets. Very responsive and provides outstanding advice at all stages of the transaction(s).’
Mantos Copper S.A.
Anglo American and De Beers
Government of the Republic of Indonesia
Government of Kenya, State Department for Petroleum
Umm Al Houl Power Q.P.S.C.
Mainstream Renewable Power
Ministry of Defence
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
EuroCape Ukraine I LLC
European Investment Bank, NordLB, KfW IPEX-Bank and HSH Nordbank as lenders
Bulgarian Energy Holding EAD
- Advised Mantos Copper as mine owner on a $ 250m financing including senior secured debt provided by Glencore, a silver stream provided by Osisko, a copper royalty provided by Anglo Pacific Group and subordinated shareholder debt.
- Advising the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on the £9bn Nuclear Liabilities Fund and decommissioning of eight nuclear power stations operated by EDF.
- Advised Oslo-based NBT, a Norwegian wind power developer and the largest foreign investor in Ukraine, on all aspects of the development, construction and financing for the 42.5 MW first stage, 300 MW second stage and 450 MW third stage of the Zophia Wind Park in Zaporizhia Oblast in Ukraine, as well as in respect of changes to the regulatory regime for renewable energy projects in Ukraine.
Slaughter and May
Slaughter and May impresses with its 'sheer technical excellence and the depth of talent from top to bottom' acting on high-value, ground-breaking infrastructure projects and transactions in oil and gas, renewables and infrastructure. The practice is co-headed by Hywel Davies and Michael Corbett, who are noted for their combined extensive experience in corporate finance, public and private M&A and joint ventures, equity offerings and regulatory matters.
‘Sheer technical excellence and depth of talent from top to bottom’
‘Hywel Davies is outstanding. One of the very best corporate lawyers I have dealt with in more than 30 years dealing with the best lawyers in the City.’
Arsenal Football Club
Department for Transport
GIP (Global Infrastructure Partners)
Tottenham Hotspur FC
- Advising Ovo Energy, the UK’s leading independent energy supplier, in connection with its purchase of SSE plc’s GB household energy and services business.
- Advising HitecVision and Petrogas on their proposed acquisition (via a new joint venture named Petrogas Neo UK Limited) from Total of a portfolio of operated and non-operated upstream oil and gas assets in the North Sea.
- Advising Tottenham Hotspur on the construction of a new 62,000 seat stadium at White Hart Lane.
Bracewell (UK) LLP has a strong presence in emerging economies in Africa and the Middle East, alongside involvement in some of the most significant infrastructure developments in the UK. Led by Jason Fox, who is a 'first choice lawyer for any energy-related deal' and a reserve based lending and energy financing specialist, the team also includes transactional partners Adam Blythe, Darren Spalding and Nina Howell.
‘Global reach with a strong presence in the major markets of London and the US (Houston) allows unparalleled execution of transactions with cross border / cross Atlantic elements.’
‘Bracewell offers world class industry-led legal services to its clients. It is fully responsive and adaptable to the legal idiosyncrasies of the jurisdictions in which it advises.’
‘Second-to-none reserve based lending and energy project finance credentials. The team is able to filter out all “background noise” in negotiations and and deliver commercially-reasonable documentation promptly, thus enhancing the probability of success’
‘Jason Fox has unparalleled experience. He is the leading practitioner in this space outside the US’
‘Jason Fox is the first choice lawyer for any energy-related deal. His vast experience in the sector enables him to advise clients objectively and with strong commercial justification. Jason is effective on either side of the table and can often help find a way through any impasse between negotiating parties.’
Maurel & Prom
Premier Oil Plc
Aqua Ventures International FZE
Alcazar Energy Partners
Equinor (previously known as Statoil)
Fotowatio Renewable Ventures (FRV)
- Advising Premier Oil in connection with the project financing of the $2.4bn development of phase one of the Sea Lion development in the Falkland Islands.
- Advising German LNG Terminal GmbH (a joint venture between Royal Vopak, Gasunie and Oiltanking) in connection with the first LNG import terminal in Germany (in the port of Hamburg).
- Advising Eni in its participation in the Angola New Gas Consortium in Angola and the joint venture and gas sales arrangements for the exploration, development, production and sale of non-associated natural gas to Angola LNG.
Dentons ' highly specialised team of experienced institutional finance and corporate lawyers have wide-ranging cross-border experience acting for both lenders and borrowers on M&A transactions and investments into energy infrastructure and regulatory matters. Charles July has more than 30 years' experience in project development work, project/acquisition finance and private M&A in the sector. In the renewables and solar energy sector, Lucille De Silva is the go-to adviser, while Mark Cheney focuses on thermal and renewable power generation assets and structured commodity trading arrangements.
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Authority for Electricity Regulation, Oman
Electricity & Cogeneration Regulatory Authority, Saudi Arabia
Sev.en Energy AG
- Advised VLC Renewables on its first investment into one of the top five largest operating onshore wind generators in Europe, a 500MW construction-ready project at Zaporizhia in Ukraine developed by LongWing Energy.
- Advised Aberdeen Standard Investments on a £30m senior secured refinancing and acquisition of a portfolio of RO accredited operational solar farms in the UK.
- Advised Sev.en Energy AG, on the acquisition of a 50% stake in the multinational energy company, InterGen N.V. from the Canadian Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan.
With a strong international presence, King & Spalding LLP is actively involved in high-profile energy infrastructure projects, and market-first oil and gas M&A and investment transactions, such as advising the private equity firm, SigmaBleyzer, on the $250m fund to invest in upstream oil & gas projects in the Ukraine. Martin Hunt and Nikhil Markanday are the leading transactional and project finance specialists, supported by a sizeable disputes team led by Thomas K. Sprange QC and John Savage QC.
‘The team includes partners and senior associates who display great patience and valuable experience’
‘John Savage QC, Tom Sprange QC and Ruth Byrne have well-developed experience in disputes involving the energy sector. Consequently, when you bring a new matter to them, you do not have to educate them on the basics‘
European Investment Bank
Anadarko Petroleum Company
Korea Electric Power Company
JERA and EDF
Denham Hill Capital
Baker Hughes, a GE Company
Sierra Oil & Gas
Shell Philippines Exploration BV
Chevron Overseas Finance
Republic of Turkey
The Stati family, Ascom Group S.A. and Terra Raf Trans Trading Ltd
InterGlobe Enterprises Ltd
GE-Hitachi Nuclear Energy
Yara Pilbara Nitrates Pty Ltd
- Advising Anadarko on all aspects of its $50bn Mozambique LNG Project, the largest proposed LNG export project in the world
- Securing a ground-breaking victory for Shell and Chevron in a US$4bn ICC arbitration against the Republic of the Philippines concerning the allocation of petroleum revenues.
- Advising Sierra Oil & Gas on the integration of its business with Deutsche Erdoel AG, an international independent exploration and production company headquartered in Germany.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (UK) LLP offers full-service advice on complex, innovative and transformational energy and social infrastructure projects, advising on M&A transactions, capital markets work as well as developments in the energy and tech sector, such as its work in telecoms, fibre roll-out and electric vehicle charging networks. Key partners include renewables specialist John Deacon and Edward Humphries, who is 'eminently trustworthy under pressure and in difficult negotiations', focusing on commodities and the development, financing acquisition and disposal of domestic and international projects in the energy sector. 'Exceptional lawyer' Hannah Roscoe's experience spans nuclear, conventional power, renewables, transport, fibre and social infrastructure. Former Watson Farley & Williams LLP renewables specialists Adam Smith and senior associate Nicholas Connell joined the expanding team in July 2020.
‘Orrick offers a great deal of experience in the energy sector, whilst remaining reasonably priced compared to other firms operating in this sector.’
‘Fantastic in-depth knowledge across all sectors of the industry and the ability to field specialists (at very short notice) to cover every aspect of the (M&A) transaction.’
‘Orrick has a great knowledge of the energy and infrastructure industry and has the unique ability to reach and connect the people that matter in the sector. Understanding the general trends of the market but also having the ability to efficiently lead commercial contracts to completion differentiates them for other firms.’
‘Edward Humphries is hotly in demand by leading institutions. He has extensive knowledge of both trading and M&A, allowing him to advise and draft to a standard and at a speed that is unmatched by his competitors.He is an exceptional partner and a trusted adviser to our business and his effectiveness on complex transactional and regulatory matters is unique in the market’
‘John Deacon is always willing to help and advise on any matter. He has a great pragmatic and calm approach to complex problems and negotiations.’
‘Hannah Roscoe is an exceptional lawyer and has grown further since joining Orrick. Her commitment to her clients sets her apart. She brings very wide experience across all areas of energy (including M&A, financing and dealmaking) and is a pleasure to work with.’
Azito Energie S.A.
BlackRock Renewable Power Group
Bluefield Solar Income Fund (Bluefield)
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
NextEnergy Solar Fund
EP UK Investments Limited
Conrad Energy Limited
ENGIE Global Markets
IPM Energy Trading Limited
Future Earth Energy
Hudson Clean Energy Partners
Seacrest Capital Group Ltd
AMEA Power LLC
Millicom International Cellular S.A.
Tullow Ghana Limited
Petrolera El Trebol S.A.
Petroineos Trading Limited
Bioenergy Infrastructure Limited
BlackRock Investment Management (UK) Limited
Mercuria Energy Group
Bio Collectors Holding Limited
- Advising Infracapital and its majority owned subsidiary Gigaclear Limited on its bid to design, engineer, procure and construct Next Generation Access infrastructure for the provision of a superfast broadband across rural Scotland as part of the Scottish Government’s “Reaching 100%” programme.
- Acting for Azito Energie S.A. and its joint venture shareholders, Globeleq and IPS, on commercial and financing aspects of the Phase 4 expansion project of the Azito gas-fired power project.
- Advised the Polish subsidiary of CMC in relation to the acquisition of more than 100 MW of power via a synthetic corporate PPA with Statkraft. This is the first of a kind synthetic corporate PPA to be entered into in Poland.
At Osborne Clarke LLP, international head of energy and utilities James Watson is regularly instructed by funders, investors and developers on projects in the waste, combined heat and power, renewables and cleantech sectors. Renewable energy and regulatory expert Simon Hobday is also of note for commercial arrangements, having recently advised Statera Energy on its strategic 15-year partnership with Statkraft.
Other key lawyers:
Via Novus Limited
Springfield Heat Project
Western Power Company Limited
Minety Battery Storage
Northacre Renewable Energy Limited
John Laing Environmental Assets Group Limited (JLEN)
The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited
Green Frog Power
Department for Transport
- Advising next generation energy business Limejump on its sale to Shell Petroleum Company.
- Advised Via Novus on a £35m investment by Cube Infrastructure Fund into Engenie, one of the UK’s fastest growing electric vehicle rapid charging networks.
- Advising the sponsor and development vehicle on all legal needs associated with the £200m development of the Northacre Energy from Waste project.
Travers Smith LLP's energy and infrastructure team comprises a cross-practice group of lawyers led by Spencer Summerfield . The transaction-focused team includes specialists in corporate, regulatory, private equity and banking. 'Very efficient' Richard Brown specialises in joint venture and corporate transactions in the infrastructure and utilities sectors. Summerfield is noted for his M&A capabilities.
Other key lawyers:
‘Outstanding commerciality in understanding key issues on both sides of the table and translating this insight into commercial solutions’
‘The team provides pragmatic support to meet with client requirements whilst maintaining a commercial focus on seeking to get the deal done’
‘Spencer Summerfield is a trusted partner who buys into and thoroughly understands your transactions and requirements. Top draw commerciality’
‘Richard Brown is very efficient, instantly getting to the key points and possible options. He then brings the team in to deal with the specific points, who maintain the same efficient approach and standard of work.’
Basalt Infrastructure Partners LP
Ancala Partners LLP
SAGE North Sea Limited
- Advised the second Basalt Infrastructure Partners fund on its £255m acquisition of AIM-listed Manx Telecom plc, the Isle of Man’s leading communication solutions provider.
- Advised Macquarie on its acquisition of the entire issued and to be issued share capital of AIM-listed Premier Technical Services Group plc.
- Advised Ancala Partners LLP on its acquisition of a 50% interest in Dragon LNG Group Limited, a liquefied natural gas regasification terminal from Petronas.
Howard Kennedy LLP boasts a strong client portfolio ranging from utilities companies, project developers, sponsors and funders to energy services companies. Jonathan Cohen leads a team which advises on transactions and commercial agreements, procurement and project development, financing and ancillary issues. Cohen is highlighted for his experience in energy storage, heat distribution, offshore and onshore wind and traditional power generation.
‘Expertise in specialist sectors within the energy space, for example district heating. The team also has a commercial outlook and understands the drivers from different perspectives (e.g. investors, developers and public sector).’
‘The Howard Kennedy team are pro-active, experienced and efficient.’
‘Jonathan Cohen is well known in the industry for his expertise in heat networks and electricity regulation.’
Eggborough Power Limited
National Transmission and Despatch Company Limited
Swan Housing Association
- Advised ECO World-Ballymore Embassy Gardens Company on all elements of this large district heating scheme including drafting the site-wide Heat Services Agreement.
- Acted in a high-profile, London arbitration case and in two sets of related London Commercial Court proceedings for the Pakistan Government owned entity responsible for national electricity purchasing.
- Continuing to advise Eggborough Power, the owner/operator one of the largest coal-fired power stations in Eggborough, North Yorkshire, on its electricity supply and connection agreements and the decommissioning of its site.
Paul Hastings LLP offers 'excellent market and sector knowledge' in infrastructure-related matters, including infrastructure funds, high-end M&A transactions, and financings. The group added significant bench strength with the 2019 additions of well regarded corporate infrastructure and energy partner Steven Bryan and senior associate Tamsin Doran from Hogan Lovells International LLP. It is instructed on large infrastructure, transportation and telecoms projects, and often acts alongside the firm's broader projects, PPP and PFI department.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent market and sector knowledge. Technically very able’
‘Steven Bryan has very good sector knowledge and is technically excellent’
Brookfield Private Equity
Arcus Infrastructure Partners LLP
Salt Mobile SA
Global Cloud Exchange
- Advising Brookfield Infrastructure and Public Sector Pensions of Canada in relation to the proposed $3bn sale of majority interests in Telediffusion de France (TDF), the largest telecoms mast operator in France.
- Representing Salt Mobile SA on the $700 million sale of a 90% equity interest in the company owning Salt’s passive mobile infrastructure in Switzerland to Spanish tower operator Cellnex Telecom SA.
- Advised Brookfield Business Partners on the merger of two of its portfolio companies, UK-headquartered Greenergy, an international supplier of transportation fuels, and BG Fuels, a leading Canadian gasoline and convenience retailer.
James Wood-Robertson and Nicholas Iliff co-lead the projects practice at Shoosmiths LLP, leveraging expertise in social infrastructure, PPP and renewable energy projects and project finance experience. Core areas of activity include waste-to-energy/biomass, technology, telecoms and energy infrastructure and a growing battery storage practice.
General Energy Solutions
- Advised a leading UK infrastructure fund on all aspects of its bid to acquire a major UK data centre.
- Advising on the development of two subsidy-free 50MW onshore wind farms in Scotland, including the negotiation of corporate power purchase agreements that will underpin the future financing of the projects.
- Advising Lombard on the refinancing of Scotland’s largest community-owned wind farm, located on South Uist.