Firms in the Spotlight Fraud: white-collar crime
Bark&co’s clients benefit from the support of one of the country’s premier fraud and business crime firms. Acknowledged as a leader in the field, the firm has helped clients, including individuals and national/international companies, in connection with many of the highest profile cases in the fields of civil/criminal fraud, tax, white-collar crime, corruption and serious …View Profile...
Fraud: white-collar crime in London
BCL Solicitors LLP advises on fraud, white-collar crime and corporate crime. Clients include individuals such as directors, senior employees and high-net-worth individuals as well as corporations. Head of team Ian Burton focuses on advising individuals, businesses and government bodies on a range of issues nationally and internationally. Harry Travers deals with business crime and regulation. Richard Sallybanks deals with investigations involving allegations of fraud, corruption, sanctions offences, price-fixing, and false accounting. John Binns specialises in financial crime and Julian Hayes handles fraud, insider dealing and market abuse, bribery and corruption, and sanctions. Shula de Jersey is recommended for her experience in dealing with allegations of serious fraud, money laundering, bribery and corruption. Richard Reichman was promoted to partner.
Other key lawyers:
Sudhir & Bhanu Choudhrie
- Represented John Scouler, formerly Tesco’s Commercial Director for Food in the UK, who was charged by the SFO with fraud and false accounting in connection with an investigation into accounting irregularities and overstated profits.
- Represented the Ahsanis, and Unaoil and Unaoil Monaco, in an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office into alleged corruption offences.
- Acting for two prominent Indian business tycoons under investigation by the SFO since 2014 for suspected multimillion pound corruption involving Rolls Royce and Indian government departments over a 20 year period.
- Acting for a former director of DePuy International Ltd (a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson Inc) in connection with criminal proceedings against him (and others) in Greece arising from alleged corrupt payments, fraud and money laundering in the orthopaedic products market.
Bivonas Law LLP works on both trial and enforcement matters, regularly acting on investigations by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), the NHS Fraud Investigations Unit and major business crime units of the Metropolitan and City of London Police. Particular areas of expertise include advising on allegations of bribery and corruption, unexplained wealth orders (UWOs), civil fraud, proceeds of crime, financial services and regulatory litigation. The firm is particularly experienced in handling cases with a Russian/ CIS element having been in an alliance with Russian white collar and commercial litigation firm Pen & Peter in 2016. Bivonas' head of team, Antony Brown, is experienced representing CEOs of major corporates and banks, and individuals alleged to have links with organised crime. Cindy Dorrington was promoted to managing partner. George Kampanella joined as partner from EBR Attridge LLP while Roland Ellis was promoted to partner.
‘Established specialist practice with excellent reputation for white collar crime’.
‘George Kampanella works extremely hard for his clients and has acted in many high profile cases’.
‘The team is proactive and take a forensic approach to criminal defence’.
‘George Kampenalla is a highly experienced, fiercely determined fraud specialist.’
‘High level of expertise across the board; dynamic and market focused, with a growing market reputation. Their strong Russian focus makes them a go to for certain work at the highest level’.
‘Antony Brown is a hugely experienced, highly effective lead adviser, with a particularly strong suite in hands-on commitment to his clients’ interests. He is calm and personable regardless of the circumstances’;.
‘A very competent, engaged firm, dedicated to doing the best for its clients’.
‘Steve Sharp is exceptionally experienced and has seen pretty well everything in the fraud world’.
‘Cindy Dorrington has a meticulous, detailed and inspired approach to preparation. She has very wide experience of City fraud, coupled with more fundamental but absolutely necessary grounding in disclosure and SFO/HMRC practice’.
‘Antony Brown is a leader in his field. He knows how to solve big problems, has very good skills, charisma, and he handles difficult situations well.’
- Representing senior individuals in relation to investigations connected to loans in Mozambique.
- Advising in relation to a major tax investigation arising out of the Paradise Papers leak and the BBC Panorama exposé.
- Acted for an individual in the SFO’s investigation into ENRC.
- Instructed by a US law firm in relation to a large DoJ investigation involving one of the US’s largest investment banks, involving Interpol notices and diffusions.
- Acting for the ex-director of a steel company being investigated by the SFO.
Brown Rudnick LLP
Brown Rudnick LLP is adept at advising high profile clients in criminal investigations. Areas of expertise for the firm include banking investigations, multijurisdictional money laundering investigations and fraud investigations. The firm also advises on fraud, corruption, bribery and cyber security. Jamie Symington joined as partner from the FCA. Anupreet Amole was promoted to partner.
Senior Partner for Unaoil
Trader charged in Euribor investigation
Rolls Royce senior individuals
Senior individuals at Barclays, in relation to Barclays / Qatar
Senior individual from ENRC
Senior individual at Tesco
- Acted for a senior individual of Unaoil until November 2018, in relation to the high profile Serious Fraud Office investigation into alleged bribery and corruption in various jurisdictions, following the leak of thousands of emails reported in an Australian newspaper.
- Representing a senior trader at a large European bank involved in trading instruments hedged to the Euro Interbank Offered Rate.
- Acted for senior individuals from different parts of Rolls Royce in relation to the high profile Serious Fraud Office investigation into alleged bribery and corruption in various jurisdictions, as well as acting for some of them in relation to the internal investigation of the allegations.
- Advising two senior individuals in relation to the SFO investigation into certain commercial arrangements between Barclays Bank and Qatari entities in the context of a capital fund raising in 2008, which allowed the Bank to avoid a bail-out during the economic crisis.
- Acting for a senior individual from ENRC in relation to the ongoing SFO investigation into allegations of bribery and corruption relating to the activities of ENRC and its subsidiaries in Kazakhstan and Africa.
Boutique Byrne and Partners LLP advises individuals caught up in multijurisdictional investigations by the SFO, HMRC, the FCA and, from the US, the SEC and DoJ. Its small size enables it to avoid conflicts, while its areas of expertise include advising on fraud, money laundering, tax investigations and prosecutions and bribery and corruption matters. The firm also undertakes some publicly funded work. Co-head of team Michael Potts often advises senior management, traders and brokers in serious market manipulation and insider dealing investigations conducted by FCA Enforcement. Sara Teasdale, who also heads the team, is experienced in criminal and regulatory investigations; internal investigations and prosecutions brought by various agencies. Matthew Frankland has extensive experience defending allegations of fraud.
Michael Potts; Sara Teasdale
Other key lawyers:
Matthew Frankland; Ben Brocklehurst; Emma Brooks
‘A stellar team. Every in-house counsel should have the firm on its list as go-to advisers for employees wrapped into internal investigations or subject to criminal investigations flowing from their employment. Well respected among peers and tireless advocates for their clients.’
‘Strong boutique firm for white-collar crime. One of only a handful known for their expertise here.’
‘They are a compact niche team with members who work seamlessly together and with defence counsel. They are very professional and experienced but small enough to provide a real sense of involvement and client care which is often lost in larger firms.’
‘Sara Teasdale and Ben Brocklehurst are both excellent.’
‘Sara Teasdale is sensible, good with clients and great to work with. I wouldn’t hesitate to refer a client to her.’
‘Matthew Frankland – uniquely approachable; clever; dedicated and extremely hard-working. A totally safe pair of hands. A real ‘go to’ practitioner. One of the very best.’
‘Sara Teasdale and Mike Potts – both extremely sound practitioners, practical, commercial, wise and approachable.’
‘Matthew Frankland is has a wealth of experience in handling complex frauds. Very reliable, sound tactical judgement and a real pleasure to work with. Michael Potts has many similar strengths.’
Directors of Soma Oil & Gas
Rodney Whiston Dew
- Represented senior executives of FH Bertling in an SFO prosecution of the company and its officers for alleged corruption offences relating to the alleged payment of bribes to state officials in Angola and the North Sea.
- Represented the Directors of Soma Oil and Gas in relation to an SFO investigation into bribery and corruption.
- Represented the client in the FCA’s largest insider dealing prosecution to date.
- Advised the Chairman of the State Fiscal Service of Ukraine in relation to an MLA request from Ukraine in connection with a $70m fraud.
- Successfully defended the former Chairman of Alstom International Limited in one of the SFO’s largest ever investigations into bribery and corruption.
Corker Binning advises on the full gamut of white-collar crime and related matters including tax fraud, cartels, extradition, illegitimate financial gain, fraud, bribery, corruption, money laundering, sanctions and export controls. Clients include individuals from local government, FTSE 100 businesses and major banks. The firm frequently deals with all major UK agencies and foreign bodies including the SFO, FCA, HMRC, National Crime Agency (NCA), the Metropolitan Police, US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Department of Justice (DOJ). Andrew Smith heads the team and focuses on criminal inquiries and investigations. Peter Binning is adept at handling international white-collar matters and David Corker is recommended for his experience in large fraud cases and SFO investigations. Jessica Parker has particular experience in tax fraud and investigations. Claire Cross has in-depth knowledge of FCA investigations.
Other key lawyers:
‘David Corker is the Yoda of white collar crime; calm, collected and has a wonderful brain’.
‘Corker Binning provides a unique combination of the highest quality case preparation, tactical acuity and down-to-earth approachability’.
‘Peter Binning leads from the front and is an enormously reassuring guiding hand for clients’. ‘Andrew Smith provides legal and case analysis of the highest calibre – he is generally the smartest cookie in the room, often giving his clients the edge’.
‘Jessica Parker is a master of client and opponent-management: a tactical thinker who demands the best from counsel and drives the case to the most favourable outcome for her clients’.
‘Claire Cross is hardworking, has an excellent legal mind and is a real tactician’.
‘Great team to work with; clever, excellent communicators both orally and in writing’.
‘Jessica Parker is a leader in this field; her acumen in acting for individuals in significant fraud cases is widely acknowledged by her peers’.
Nicholas Reynolds(former Global Sales and Technology Director for a subsidiary company of Alstom Group)
John Varley (ex-CEO of Barclays Bank)
Matthew Cahill (former Clifford Chance partner)
Philip Clarke (ex-CEO of Tesco)
- Represented the former global sales and technology director for a subsidiary company of Alstom Group in connection with his being charged with offences of corruption and conspiracy to corrupt in an SFO prosecution before Southwark Crown Court.
- Represented former Barclays CEO John Varley, who was charged by the SFO with conspiracy to commit fraud by false representation and unlawful financial assistance in relation to advisory fees paid by Barclays Bank to a Qatari sovereign wealth fund. Varley was acquitted in June 2019.
- Represented Matthew Cahill, a former Clifford Chance and Sidley Austin partner, who was charged with cheating/conspiracy to cheat HMRC in respect of allegedly fraudulent claims for income tax relief. Cahill was cleared in early 2018.
Dechert LLP advises on civil and criminal enforcement matters, investigations, compliance and defence from its global network of offices. Areas of expertise include multinational investigations, allegations of fraud, bribery, corruption, export controls, sanctions and money laundering. The firm has particular expertise dealing with US regulatory and criminal enforcement issues, such as those before the DOJ, the SEC and Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). Neil Gerrard heads the team and is particularly adept at handling high-profile investigations. Miriam Gonzalez left the firm for Cohen & Gresser in the US.
Other key lawyers:
Matthew Cowie; Caroline Black; Roger Burlingame; Matthew Mazur; Tim Bowden; Matthew Banham
‘A go to firm for serious corporate financial crime investigations’.
‘Roger Burlingame is a seasoned and very experienced litigator in financial crime cases’.
‘Neil Gerrard has a huge reputation as one the hardest-working solicitors in the world’.
‘Roger Burlingame is the go to guy for UK cases with a US dimension; he has superb client skills and is excellent on extradition’.
‘Matthew Cowie is a pleasure to work with and his previous experience with the SFO informs his approach to cases’.
‘Tim Bowden is a thoughtful and collaborative lawyer with a specialism in money laundering’.
‘Caroline Black is a highly experienced investigations lawyer’.
- Advised the former CEO of a multinational transportation company in relation to a criminal investigation by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO).
- Continuing to advise a major manufacturing and engineering corporation in all criminal investigations by multiple enforcement agencies into allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption.
- Continuing to provide advice and representation on a regulatory and criminal investigation by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and New York Attorney General (NYAG) into the alleged misconduct of brokers in the FX options market.
Specialist litigation boutique Hickman & Rose focuses on advising business leaders, such as directors or senior executives, when their companies are under investigation. Areas of expertise include financial regulatory, professional regulatory, bribery and fraud. Co-head of team Ben Rose specialises in financial crime. His clients include CEOs, senior managers and law firms. Ross Dixon, who also co-heads the team, is experienced in acting for individuals caught up in SFO investigations.
Ben Rose; Ross Dixon
Other key lawyers:
Andrew Katzen; Aileen Colhoun; Christopher Houssemayne du Boulay; Steffan Baker; Emily Sheils; Claire Wallace
‘Hickman Rose are a very impressive boutique practice’.
‘The team is responsive, reassuring and always fully informed about their subject areas’.
‘Andrew Katzen is an excellent fraud solicitor; he is quick, bright and good with clients’.
‘Aileen Colhoun is a very good fraud solicitor who has a wealth of experience’.
‘Ross Dixon is a true expert in white-collar fraud and corporate crime and has acted in a number of high profile cases’.
‘Ben Rose is a very driven individual with endless energy and a wealth of experience’.
‘Ben Rose is sensible and pragmatic but very clear and robust in his advice’.
‘Ben Rose must never sleep because he is continuously agitating, cajoling and manoeuvring on behalf of his clients’.
‘Aileen Colhourn always show empathy and understanding and is always realistic about a problem’.
- Advising Chris Bush, the former MD of Tesco UK, as he faced trial for fraud and false accounting relating to the alleged fraudulent overstatement by £250m of profits by Tesco PLC.
- Acting for an individual under suspicion in the SFO’s Unaoil investigation.
- Representing one of four principal suspects in an SFO investigation into bribery and corruption by a UK PLC operating in a West African country.
- Acting for the former VP (Finance) of Autonomy, a FTSE 100 company acquired by Hewlett Packard for $11bn in 2011.
- Acting for a senior executive under investigation by the SFO as part of its long running investigation into G4S in relation to tens of millions of pounds of alleged overcharging on electronic tagging contracts for offenders
Kingsley Napley LLP is adept at handling cross border, multi-jurisdictional cases, including allegations of bribery and corruption, tax fraud, false accounting, commodities and currency fraud, bank fraud, insider dealing, money laundering, cartels, index and benchmark manipulation, financial services litigation and financial sanctions breaches. It deals with investigations and prosecutions by the SFO, FCA, HMRC, CMA, DOJ, FBI and SEC. Co-head of team Louise Hodges specialises in financial crime. Jonathan Grimes, who also heads the team, focuses on financial services crime. Stephen Parkinson is a white-collar specialist who acts for individuals and corporates. Caroline Day and Rebecca Niblock are also recommended. Nicola Finnerty joined as partner from the independent monitoring board at HMP Pentonville, having previously worked at Corker Binning. Alun Milford joined as partner from the SFO, where he was general counsel. Eve Giles left the firm for Allen & Overy LLP. Johanna Walsh left the firm for Mishcon de Reya LLP.
Louise Hodges; Jonathan Grimes
‘One of the premier white-collar defence teams in London’.
‘Louise Hodges is a wise counsellor and a source of great tactical awareness in cases’.
‘Stephen Parkinson probably has the most faultless judgement in London when it comes to financial crime’
‘Louise Hodges is universally respected in this field’.
‘Jonathan Grimes is careful and has passionate attention to his clients’.
‘Nicola Finnerty is a huge addition to the team this year; a force to be reckoned with, she’s a fighter and a thinker who relishes new law and the toughest of challenges. She is destined for the top’.
‘Jill Lorimer is a key part of this department; never hogging the limelight, she is the oil in the engine of the team’.
‘Jonathan Grimes is utterly exceptional’.
‘Jonathan Grimes’ careful and passionate attention to his clients has made him, slowly but surely, one of the most admired operators in the field. His particular interest in international crime has inspired a huge growth in this area of work within the firm. This requires an unusually keen legal mind and a great deal of patience: he has both, and in large measure.’
‘Jonathan Grimes is tenacious while at the same time being pragmatic and highly knowledgeable.’
- Represented Alexander Nix, the CEO of Cambridge Analytica, in respect of a criminal investigation by the Information Commissioner’s Office and the parliamentary Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee’s enquiry into “fake news”.
Norton Rose Fulbright handles matters such as investigations, enforcement, allegations of bribery and corruption, international complex fraud, money laundering, market abuse, insider trading, extradition and corporate manslaughter. The firm deals with domestic and multijurisdictional cases brought by agencies including the SFO, FCA, NCA, HMRC and the CPS. It represents clients from interview to trial and beyond. Co-head of team Neil O’May focuses on corporate, business and white-collar crime. Patrick Bourke also heads the team. Jeff Cottle joined as partner from Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP.
Neil O’May; Patrick Bourke
Other key lawyers:
Jeff Cottle; Ruth Cowley; Amy Shaffron; Lista M. Cannon; Pamela Reddy
‘Very professional and transparent’
‘This team comes with a huge amount of experience in crime and fraud’.
‘The team are fantastically well-resourced and bring an imaginative approach to defence ’.
‘Neil O’May has a wonderful combination of legal judgement and courage -taking on the hardest cases and producing wonderful results’.
‘Pamela Reddy is absolutely brilliant – a calm, assured presence. Personable and exercising sound judgement, she is highly versatile and very ambitious’.
‘Amy Shaffron has a background in defending all manner of serious crimes, beyond simply the white-collar variety. Clients love her for her pragmatic approach and her ability to reduce complex allegations into a digestible and comprehensible format’
Former Finance Director- Tesco plc
Senior executive at Petrofac
- Represented Carl Rogberg, the former Financial Director (CFO) of Tesco, in the high profile prosecution into accounting practices at Tesco.
- Successfully defended through to trial, a criminal prosecution brought by the SFO against Victor Dahdaleh – one of the largest prosecutions undertaken by the SFO in relation to bribery and corruption.
- Representing a former senior executive of Petrofac in relation to the SFO’s high profile criminal investigation.
- Represented an individual in a prosecution brought by the Insolvency Service for acting as a director whilst disqualified (spanning a twelve year period)
Peters & Peters Solicitors LLP advises on fraud, bribery & corruption, money laundering, tax fraud, sanctions and cartel defence matters. Other areas of expertise include private prosecutions, multi-jurisdictional cases, extradition, INTERPOL matters and Mutual Legal Assistance. The department works closely with the corporate crime and civil fraud teams and handles asset recovery alongside criminal matters. Michael O’Kane heads the team and focuses on corruption, cartels, sanctions and extradition. Jasvinder Nakhwal represents individuals in major investigations conducted by a number of investigative agencies, including the SFO, FCA, CMA and overseas prosecutors. Hannah Laming is experienced in advising on corruption, complex fraud, money laundering, and contentious regulatory. Maria Cronin was promoted to partner and Peter FitzGerald was promoted to of counsel. Monty Raphael QC retired.
Other key lawyers:
‘A superb team; dedicated and professional with great ability and judgment’.
‘Michael O’Kane is outstanding’.
‘Jasvinder Nakhwal is a fine lawyer with great vision and is well liked for her client skills’.
‘An extraordinary concentration of white-collar crime knowledge in a boutique firm’.
‘Peters & Peters’ depth of knowledge and experience is what makes them stand out from other firms’.
‘Nick Vamos gives clear, practical advice and his judgement of legal risks and likely outcomes is impeccable’
‘Knowledgeable, experienced; great client service’.
‘Nick Vamos has a fabulous manner with clients; he is extremely knowledgeable on cases with an international element, particularly the law and process on extradition’.
Khadem Al Qubaisi (‘KAQ’)
Hermitage Capital Management / Bill Browder
- Representing a former senior executive of Barclays Investment Bank and a defendant (alongside Barclays itself and three other former executives) in the SFO’s landmark prosecution based on payments made by Barclays to a Qatari sovereign wealth fund and the Prime Minister of Qatar.
- Acting as lead counsel for KAQ, a suspect in global investigations into a $6bn fraud against the Malaysian sovereign wealth fund 1MDB.
- Representing the Chairman and CEO of the Hungarian national energy company, MOL. He is accused by Croatia of bribing the former Croatian Prime Minister to further MOL’s interests in negotiations concerning the increase of its stake in the Croatian national energy company INA.
- Advising an individual charged with corruption and conspiracy in Brazil, and being investigated by the US Department of Justice.
- Continuing to act in one of the highest profile INTERPOL cases involving Russia. The firm’s client was formerly the largest foreign investor in the Russian Federation. Its founder, Bill Browder, has long been active in exposing corruption in Russia. This led to a $230m fraud against the company and the harassment of its employees.
WilmerHale represents a large number of clients involved in high-profile SFO investigations. It advises clients on the full gamut of business crime and securities enforcement. Areas of expertise include fraud, bribery, corruption, cartels and money laundering. Clients include individuals from public and private companies and in particular the financial services sector. Stephen Pollard heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Christopher David; Alison Geary; David Rundle
‘The team is absolutely top in the field, thanks to the combination of the skills of Stephen Pollard and Christopher David’.
‘Stephen Pollard is a leading practitioner in the white-collar arena for corporations and individuals, an excellent designer of the strategy of defense for complex white-collar crime with transnational elements’.
‘Christopher David is an excellent practitioner in the white-collar area, with extensive experience in internal investigations, transnational practice, and on the subject of arrest warrants and Interpol red notices’.
‘Stephen Pollard is the leading white-collar crime solicitor in the UK – very experienced, very calm, and has great judgement’.
‘Stephen Pollard deserves all the plaudits he has received over the years; he manages to be both a force of nature yet understated at the same time’.
‘Stephen Pollard is what makes this practice unique; he is regarded by his peers as one of the very best in the job’.
- Represented Jean-Daniel Lainé, Alstom’s former Director of Ethics and Compliance, in the global investigation into Alstom.
- Represented Rohan Ramchandani, one of the four key individuals in the FX investigation
Blackfords LLP advises on bribery, corruption, investment fraud, money laundering, insider dealing, HMRC investigations and tax-related matters. It often acts in multi-jurisdictional cases, dealing with investigations and actions brought by the SFO, HMRC, NCA, FCA, the Insolvency Service, Trading Standards, CPS and the police, and other regulators. Co-head of team Daniel Cundy focuses on white-collar crime, fraud, corruption, tax and money laundering cases. Co-head of team Trevor Francis specialises in serious fraud, money laundering and confiscations. Gary Bloxsome also co-heads the team.
Daniel Cundy; Trevor Francis; Gary Bloxsome
Other key lawyers:
Diana Payne; Rachel Wilson; Naureen Shariff
‘Gary Bloxsome is a wise head with great judgement’.
‘Trevor Francis is a brilliant lawyer and tactician’.
‘A long established firm with a very broad practice in crime’.
‘These are a collection of very talented and dedicated individuals.”
‘Highly experienced, approachable and hardworking’.
‘Danny Cundy is a first rate tactician, highly experienced and very bright’.
‘They are an unusual firm in that they maintain a busy legal aid practice alongside an ever expanding private client base because they believe in trying to provide access to justice for all’.
‘They employ extremely good staff, associates and paralegals as well as exceptional partners so that they can provide a speedy response’.
‘Gary Bloxsome is charismatic with great judgement and a loyal following’.
- Representing the first defendant in a high-profile SFO trial of officers from FH Bertling and Conoco Philips in relation to alleged corruption.
- Representing a client accused of making payments to a number of officials in order to facilitate and form contracts in the defence/aviation sectors. The case is part of the recent settlement by Rolls-Royce with the SFO as part of a deferred prosecution agreement.
- Acting for a client in a case of alleged fraudulent trading linked to the Welsh Assembly
Edmonds Marshall McMahon is a specialist private prosecution law firm. It acts for companies, investigators and individuals to provide prosecution services including assembling evidence to secure convictions and the protection of assets and commercial rights. Areas of expertise include multi-jurisdictional private wealth disputes, forgery of trusts and probate, trust busting and enforcement. The firm also acts for clients who have been the victim of fraud in commercial joint ventures or employee fraud including theft of sensitive, confidential data. Stuart Lill joined as senior investigative lawyer from the SFO and Charles Fleury joined as an investigator from the SFO.
Kate McMahon; Andrew Marshall; Tamlyn Edmonds
Other key lawyers:
Hunter Worldwide Premium Sourcing
DAS UK Holdings
Prashant and Yashwant Patel
- Successful investigation and private prosecution in a £1m conspiracy to defraud involving multiple jurisdictions.
- Successfully investigated and brought a private prosecution on behalf of Hunter Worldwide Premium Sourcing Ltd in a £1.8m fraud against their financial controller after Hertfordshire police cited “difficulties” committing their resources to a full investigation.
- Acted in one of the largest and most complex private prosecutions ever undertaken in a £4m business scam
- Instructed by a client who had been the subject of malicious sustained litigation by the previous owner of his property (MP) in order to deprive him of that property, now valued at approximately £4m.
- Instructed by Mr Gary Summers, barrister, to advise on the judicial review (JR) of whether the decision of Southwark Crown Court to grant three witness summonses was lawful.
Fox Williams LLP is adept at handling regulatory, fraud, bribery, market manipulation, money laundering and sanctions compliance matters. The firm regularly handles cases for senior executives involved in investigations by the FCA, FRC and SFO. The ‘very experienced and unflappable’ James Carlton co-heads the team, and is experienced in financial crime, regulation and disciplinary investigations and proceedings. Peter Wright, who also co-heads the team, is particularly experienced in conducting change in control, market abuse and insider dealing investigations. Sebastian Sayer joined as senior associate from the FCA.
James Carlton; Peter Wright
Other key lawyers:
Sebastian Sayer; Sona Ganatra; Chris Finney
‘James Carlton has bags of experience, good judgement and a lot of charm’.
‘James Carlton cares for and understands the personal toll of long-running criminal investigations on individual suspects’.
‘Sona Ganatra is energetic and detailed; incredibly personable and reassuring’.
‘A high-calibre boutique firm with seasoned practitioners’.
‘James Carlton is uniquely approachable, clever and very affable, a veteran of many of the largest criminal prosecutions over the last 25 years and a master tactician’.
‘Fox Williams have the diversity in practice areas to be able to handle all spin off problems, in addition to fielding the central white-collar matters with exceptional skill and aplomb’.
‘James Carlton is outstanding; he exudes a calm confidence, is brilliant with clients and is a cunning strategist’.
Howard Kennedy LLP advises on matters including regulatory compliance, anti-money laundering, Bribery Act audits, the preparation of bribery policies and corporate governance, internal investigations, proceeds of crime, whistleblowing and self-reporting. Other areas of expertise include criminal cartel activity and market abuse. The firm represents clients caught up in investigations conducted by the SFO, FCA, CMA, HMRC, CPS, NCA, DOJ and FBI. Head of team Ian Ryan is experienced in financial crime, regulatory work and general crime. Ben Ticehurst joined as senior associate from Rahman Ravelli. Senior associate Kyle Phillips left the firm for Fieldfisher.
Other key lawyers:
Ben Ticehurst; John Martyn; Kevin Robinson
- The team secured the acquittal of Achim Kraemer, a former Deutsche Bank trader who was charged by the Serious Fraud Office with conspiracy to manipulate EURIBOR between January 2005 and December 2009. Kraemer was the only individual acquitted in this case.
- Representing an individual charged with manipulating Euribor between 2005-2006.
- Advising and representing a significant individual in respect of an SFO investigation.
- Representing a director of a company in respect of an alleged fraud of over £10m, committed by individuals and business entities. This fraud is suspected to include this individual.
Janes Solicitors handles criminal litigation, fraud, regulatory, worldwide freezing orders, confiscation and money laundering proceedings. Clients include multinational companies, entrepreneurs and high-net-worth individuals. David Janes heads the team and specialises in taxation cases, and fraud including banking, trading and derivatives, bribery, corruption, proceeds of crime and defence of SFO and HMRC prosecutions. Fiona Gavriel joined as partner from Bark&co and David Frearson joined as consultant solicitor from Alston Asquith.
‘A very close-knit team of excellent individuals who have worked closely together over a number of decades’.
‘David Janes is outstanding, bright, tactful and tactical with a genuine interest in the law’.
‘They are hardworking, pleasant and knowledgable’.
‘Wide experience in cases of the utmost complexity over many years. Team work together rather than as individuals’.
‘David Janes is an accomplished lawyer that makes even the most complicated fraud understandable’.
‘Fiona Gavriel is bright and energetic, she has a charisma that puts clients at ease but belies a strong work ethic’.
‘Their key strength is their relentlessness in defence of their clients’.
‘David Janes is one of the most dogged, indefatigable and creative lawyers’.
‘Highly experienced, very capable lawyers across the board’.
‘David Frearson is a young, energetic, committed lawyer who has a bright future ahead of him’.
- Representing a financial trader defendant in the high-profile Danish SKAT tax scandal.
- Ongoing Serious Fraud Investigation into sale of a company for over £600m. Complex allegation of fraud, based on client conspiring with others to overstate annual profits by £312m. Advising client during ongoing SFO investigation.
- Represented the second defendant in a ten month trial at Southwark Crown Court. The largest ever HMRC prosecution in the UK with 720 high-net-investors including celebrities.
- Acting for company director in criminal proceedings brought by the insolvency service in respect of alleged fraudulent trading and related offences with a total operational value ascribed of £1m.
- Representing a director accused of fraudulent trading involving the mis-selling of financial products up to £100 million pounds
Mishcon de Reya LLP represents clients in cross-border investigations, prosecutions, bribery, money laundering and fraud cases. It acts for clients being investigated by various agencies including the FCA, SRA, FRC, HMRC, CMA and SFO. Other areas of expertise include market abuse, insider dealing, tax and extradition cases. Highly regarded head of team, Jo Rickards , has expertise in cases involving corruption, cartels, fraud and contentious financial services. Clients include individuals, directors, boards and companies in the UK and internationally. Johanna Walsh joined as partner from Kingsley Napley LLP. Alison Levitt QC left the firm for 2 Hare Court.
Other key lawyers:
Johanna Walsh; Matthew Ewens; James Watson; Gareth Minty
‘Johanna Walsh is fantastic with clients and is available for them 24/7’.
‘The firm has interesting and important specialisms within the team including private prosecutions and intellectual property crime’.
‘Gareth Minty is an excellent lawyer, tactician and a very approachable good communicator’.
‘James Watson is very bright and hard working’.
‘Johanna Walsh is an excellent lawyer with great experience’.
- Instructed by a businessman who was subject to an investigation and restraint in relation to allegations that he masterminded what has been described as potentially the largest tax fraud ever committed in Europe and that he laundered a significant part of the proceeds through the UK.
- Acting for main suspects in the SFO’s investigation into Unaoil.
- Acted for a suspect in the long running SFO investigation into Rolls Royce.
- Acting for a key defendant in SFO prosecution of Guralp Systems Limited.
- Representing the managing director of a company who is being investigated for bribery, fraud and perverting the course of justice.
Rahman Ravelli advises on multijurisdictional white-collar crime, corporate crime, money laundering and tax evasion. Other areas of expertise include compliance, Bribery Act advice, internal investigations and self-reporting. Clients include corporates, professionals and high-net-worth individuals. The firm often defends against major agencies such as the SFO, FCA, City of London Police and HMRC. The ‘massively experienced and highly skilled’ Aziz Rahman heads the team and focuses on large-scale bribery and corruption issues. Niall Hearty joined the firm as senior associate from Kaim Todner Solicitors.
Azizur Rahman; Neil Williams
Other key lawyers:
Christopher Walton; Niall Hearty
‘Neil Williams is intelligent and engaging; he is excellent with clients and knows how to get to the root of any issue’.
‘Neil has an uncanny ability to be able to soak up vast reams of dense information at seemingly superhuman speed’.
‘Chris Walton is a huge asset to any complex criminal case’.
‘A team of first class lawyers with experience and expertise in fraud, money laundering and financial crime’.
‘Aziz Rahman is a dedicated and highly effective criminal litigator’.
‘Azizur Rahman is the driving force behind the firm; he has a gift for commercial success and for understanding what motivates his workforce into delivering the best representation for his firms’ clients’.
‘Neil Williams is a resourceful and talented partner whose presence in a case is always reassuring’.
‘They have a strong, bright, proactive and diligent team’.
‘Senior partner Aziz Rahman is one of the doyens of the white collar crime market, leading an excellent team’.
‘Aziz Rahman is a powerhouse figure in white collar crime – exceptionally knowledgeable, a fantastic strategist and a very well respected leader’.
- Conducting a corporate wrongdoing investigation involving a FTSE 100 company and GCC Country companies.
- Representing a former executive of the Swiss/Swedish global engineering company ABB into the SFO’s landmark Unaoil probe.
- Advising and representing a former CEO of a global oil and gas company in a multi-agency investigation of corruption in the Middle East.
- Advising a former vice president of KBR on the SFO and DOJ investigation into bribery and corruption in CIS countries in relation to contracts valued in excess of $500m.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons advises corporates and individuals on a broad range of white-collar matters. Areas of expertise include preventative advice, internal investigations, search and seizure, police and regulator interviews, trials and asset recovery. The firm also handles international matters, tax issues, financial sanctions, extradition, mutual legal assistance and Interpol-related matters. Client sectors include financial services, mining, engineering, aviation and technology. Stephen Gentle heads the team and is recommended for cases involving fraud, bribery, money laundering, sanctions, criminal cartel matters, and internal and law enforcement investigations. Nick Benwell focuses on corporate crime, corruption, money laundering and fraud matters.
Stephen Gentle; Nick Benwell
Other key lawyers:
‘Intimate service for such a large global firm and timely responses’.
‘Stephen Gentle stood out, has a calm assessment of the key issues is very approachable and empathetic’.
- Defending the ex-COO of Afren (Shahid Ullah) against two counts of fraud and two counts of money laundering, culminating in a seven-week trial in late 2018 – one of the most significant SFO prosecutions to conclude in 2018.
- Acting for the former CFO of Autonomy plc (Mr Sushovan Hussain) on numerous parallel proceedings, including investigations by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and the Financial Reporting Council (FRC), following allegations that Mr Hussain and the former CEO Dr Mike Lynch committed fraud in relation to Hewlett-Packard’s 2011 acquisition of Autonomy plc.
Stephenson Harwood advises clients including individuals and corporates on regulatory and criminal investigations. Areas of expertise include civil litigation, fraud, commercial litigation, regulatory compliance and employment litigation. It also advises clients in relation to allegations of bribery, corruption, and breaches of competition law. The firm acts in cases involving various agencies including the FCA, SFO, CMA, DOJ, SEC and CFTC. Clients include directors and senior executives. Head of team Tony Woodcock focuses on criminal and contentious financial services investigations and business regulation. Jake Pidcock joined as partner from the FCA. Sara George left the firm for Sidley Austin LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Jake Pidcock; Sean Jeffrey; Alan Ward
‘Tony Woodcock has masses of experience of both regulatory and criminal defence work’.
‘Tony Woodcock is one of the most experienced solicitors around’.
‘Tony Woodcock’s Financial Crime and Regulation team are really first class and have a very good track record’.
‘Tony Woodcock is at the top of the game, having great technical insight and feel for how a case is going to go’.
‘Stephenson Harwood’s key strengths are their ability to traverse civil, regulatory and criminal law’.
‘Tony Woodcock is the stand-out partner at the firm; he heads a very impressive team’.
Chris Ashton, former global head of voice spot trading at Barclays
Amit Soni – Tesco SFO whistle-blower (profit-overstatement)
Joerg Vogt, Deutsche Bank Euribor submitter
Peter Johnson, former US Dollar rate LIBOR submitter at Barclays
Arif Hussein, former manager UBS
- Acted for The Tchenguiz brothers, and related companies in relation to $2.2bn claims against the failed Icelandic bank Kaupthing.
- Represented Peter Johnson in relation to his prosecution by the SFO for conspiracy to defraud. The allegations concern the setting of the US Dollar London Inter-Bank Offered Rate (LIBOR) which is a benchmark interest rate used in an estimated $350 tn worth of derivative contracts.
- Instructed by Chris Ashton in relation to the very high profile Reuters FX Spot Fix manipulation investigations being conducted by the United States Department of Justice (US DoJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigations in conjunction with the United Kingdom Financial Services Authority and Serious Fraud Office.
- Representing two receivers, partners in FTI, who – together with a US hedge fund – are being prosecuted by a private individual for the criminal offence of conspiracy to defraud and fraud under the Fraud Act 2016.
- Advising a managing director of a global bank in relation to FX manipulation.
White & Case LLP acts for individuals at all stages of investigation in cross-border and domestic investigations. Areas of expertise include bribery and corruption, regulatory, compliance, fraud, money laundering, sanctions, export controls, tax and accounting issues. The firm also advises on sanctions busting, insider dealing and financial services offences. Head of team Jonathan Pickworth represents individuals and corporates in relation to criminal and regulatory issues with HMRC, the SFO and the FCA. Jonah Anderson was promoted to partner.
Other key lawyers:
Jonah Anderson; Joanna Dimmock; Anneka Randhawa; Rebecca Copcutt
‘Jonah Anderson is compassionate, understands what is important and is always available’.
‘A fantastic practice with a group of lawyers who are really great to work with’.
‘Jonathan Pickworth is a stand out practitioner; years of experience and someone you can trust to get the best result’.
‘A really top-class international law firm with excellent partners at offices all around the world, really adept at a quick response in multi-jurisdictional investigations and with excellent contacts at the DOJ in the USA’.
‘Jo Dimmock is an incredibly bright, excellent lawyer and inspires trust in her clients’.
‘Jonathan Pickworth is a well-connected and cerebral lawyer’.
‘Joanna Dimmock displays a real level of legal expertise in this sector, arising from a keen intellect and experience of some of the most high profile international cases of the last decade’.
‘White and Case provide advice at the very highest level -there is nobody better for complex, high-stakes and multi jurisdictional legal matters’.
‘Joanna Dimmock is undoubtedly the future of white collar crime defence; she displays exceptional intellect, tactical know-how and remarkable commitment to her clients’.
- Representing Richard Usher, who was indicted in the US regarding alleged price fixing and bid rigging in relation to supposed manipulation of the $5 tn per day foreign exchange market.
- Representing a client who is charged in relation to two matters in connection with the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) investigation into Unaoil, a Monaco based oil industry consultancy firm.
Allen & Overy LLP made a significant push into the white collar market with its hire of the well-regarded Eve Giles from Kingsley Napley LLP to head up its investigations team and bolster its ability to represent individuals in high profile criminal investigations. The team has experience acting for corporates and individuals and its areas of focus include advising on FX investigations, allegations of money laundering, insider dealing and market abuse, as well as anti-bribery and corruption investigations, data protection and cybercrime matters. The firm is involved in a number of standout corporate crime matters involving investigations by organisations such as the Serious Fraud Office and the Financial Conduct Authority. In London, Giles' practice complements those of regulatory and corporate crime partners Arnondo Chakrabarti and Jonathan Hitchin. Outside the UK, Allen & Overy has criminal practitioners in offices including the US, Netherlands, France, Hong Kong and Germany.
‘A&O is a huge and highly skilled firm, with great skills across the board.’
‘The addition of Eve Giles, from Kingsley Napley, brings some old-fashioned and deep criminal experience to complement the firm’s existing litigation skills.’
‘Eve Giles is dedicated and clever, with great tactical awareness. She provides exceptional client care and is detailed, meticulous and persistent.’
Individual in the SFO’s Rolls Royce investigation
Individual in the SFO’s investigation into G4S
Individual in the SFO’s investigation into Rio Tinto
- Acting for an individual from Rolls Royce who is a suspect in the SFO’s investigation into overseas corruption.
- Acting for an individual following the high profile investigation into G4S for the overcharging of contracts for tagging offenders.
- Acting for an individual in the SFO’s ongoing investigation into alleged overseas corruption by Rio Tinto.
Bark&co advises on high-profile criminal fraud investigations and frequently handles large cases, with thousands of pages of electronic evidence. Areas of expertise include corruption, bribery, money-laundering, insider dealing, boiler room frauds, VAT and MTIC frauds, fraudulent trading and mortgage fraud. The firm deals with investigations and prosecutions by the SFO, CPS, HMRC, FCA, the Environment Agency, and the National Health Service. The firm also provides crisis and media management expertise. Giles Bark-Jones heads the team and deals with general crime and criminal fraud.
Other key lawyers:
Maria Stalbow; Frederick Bunn; Alex Nelson; Sabrik Dhamu; Paul Lennon; Pat Wilson; Riz Majid; Hannah Jameel; Charles Long; Anthony Le; Abdul Mojid
- Successfully represented a client charged with being party to a large-scale international fraud against a number of film rental equipment companies based across the globe.
- Achieved a high profile acquittal this year in a widely-reported case involving charges of international money laundering by a wealthy and high profile sportsman in the UK and Nigeria
Bindmans LLP advises individuals involved in investigations and prosecutions by organisations including the SFO, FCA, Office of Fair Trading, HMRC and Police Specialist Fraud case teams. Clients include lawyers, accountants and journalists. The firm acts in privately and publicly funded cases as well as cases funded by third parties, such as employers and insurance companies. Areas of expertise include fraud and international bribery and corruption. Head of team Katie Wheatley is described by clients as 'an absolute star' and has experience defending in private prosecutions, while associate Jessica Skinns is recommended for her experience in financial crime. The former co-head of the team, Martin Rackstraw, left for Russell-Cooke.
Other key lawyers:
Jessica Skinns; Kate Goold
‘Every member of the team gives 100% all of the time’.
‘Hugely experienced in the field of criminal defence and fraud’.
‘Katie Wheatley lives and breathes her cases; an absolute star who heads up the department and sets the standard’.
‘Jessica Skinns is hardworking and intelligent, constantly on the lookout for a new angle’.
‘They have a vast amount of experience defending complex fraud private prosecutions which is a niche area and requires a different technique to dealing with normal prosecution agencies’.
‘Katie Wheatley has great empathy for her clients and provides very good client care’.
- Defending in a privately brought prosecution for large scale multi-million pound fraud.
- Represented a client prosecuted for conspiring to receive false payments.
- Represented a company Financial Controller privately prosecuted for misappropriation of over £1m of company funds.
- Representing an individual in relation to an appeal against conviction for fraud and money laundering offences.
Cartwright King advises individuals involved in allegations of fraud, bribery, asset forfeiture and recovery, tax issues, mortgage fraud and cyber crime from offices in locations including Birmingham and Manchester. It conducts work that is privately funded as well as taking on matters funded via legal aid and insurance-backed work. It has seen increasing instructions relating to investigations by HMRC's Fraud Investigation Service. Richard Cornthwaite heads the team and has dealt with investigations by organisations including the CPS, SFO, HMRC and the FCA. Gary Broadfield left the firm for Barnfather Solicitors.
Other key lawyers:
Sundeep Soor; Richard Holliday; Glen Henry; Laura Smith
Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors advises clients on matters such as corruption, bribery, financial sanctions and has particular experience of cases that arose from the financial crisis. The firm has teams that specialise in confiscation and the Proceeds of Crime Act and acts in publicly and privately funded cases. It regularly defends clients in investigations by the SFO, HMRC and FCA. Clients include high-net-worth individuals and senior executives. Leo Martin was recently promoted to partner and Mike Schwarz recently joined the team from Bindmans LLP .
‘Mike Schwarz always gives robust and sensible advice in the kindest possible way’.
IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett)
IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett) advises on corruption, VAT fraud, insider dealing and financial investigations. It advises clients from the internal and regulatory investigation stage through to criminal proceedings. The firm undertakes a mix of publicly and privately funded work. John Milner heads the team and has experience representing clients caught up in SFO and FCA criminal fraud trials.
Other key lawyers:
Eddie Tang; Caroline Dunne
- Representing a Danish national and former Barclays employee charged in connection with the SFO investigation into EURIBOR.
- Representing George Alexander in an SFO prosecution into the defrauding of banks out of £160m.
- Representing a client in relation to an SFO prosecution into allegations of bribery and corruption in the Oil and Gas sector in Angola and the UK involving international freight-forwarding company FH Bertling.
Jenner & Block LLP
Jenner & Block LLP ramped up its UK white collar practice in 2018 with the hire of Christine Braamskamp as a partner from K&L Gates LLP . She now heads the 'fast growing' investigations, compliance and defence team at the firm, which advises on matters of white-collar crime, bribery, corruption, fraud and defence of private prosecutions. The firm often advises individuals caught up in investigations by the SFO, DOJ, FCA and FRC. Client sectors include financial services, energy, technology, transport, manufacturing, professional services and hospitality. The firm also hired Paul Feldberg and Rob Dalling from K&L Gates LLP as partner and special counsel respectively.
‘High calibre work performed by first class lawyers’.
‘Christine Braamskamp is the stand-out partner; bright, hugely conscientious, and a delight to work with, she provides a really excellent service to her stellar clients’.
‘Kelly Hagedorn is calm and professional at all times, and exhibits excellent subject knowledge; a real joy to work with’.
‘Senior associate Robert Dalling is exceptional, he has all of the knowledge and calm competence of a seasoned partner’.
‘A fast developing London office for a significant US law firm’.
Kobre & Kim LLP
Kobre & Kim LLP advises on disputes, investigations, government enforcement defence, asset forfeiture defence, financial fraud and market manipulation. It acts for high-profile individuals globally. The London team is co-headed by three partners: Robin Rathmell, who focuses on contentious offshore trust matters, and commercial and cross-border litigation; Jason Masimore who advises on cross-border, white-collar crime, regulatory enforcement actions and internal investigations and Jonathan Huth , who joined from HSBC, and handles US regulatory enforcement matters and cross-border investigations for clients in the UK and Europe.
Robin Rathmell; Jason Masimore; Jonathan Huth
Other key lawyers:
‘This international firm has a fast growing reputation in the London market for heavy weight corporate crime cases’.
‘Most of the prominent lawyers’ background as former prosecutors brings a distinguishable edge to their approach to a white collar crime case’.
‘Jason Masimore is a class act who provides no nonsense advice and a well thought out strategy’.
‘Jonathan Huth is a leading figure in cross-border investigations, especially in the financial markets. His previous experience as general counsel for a leading bank gives him a certain edge in these cases’.
‘An international firm with a stellar reputation in white-collar crime’.
‘The team is highly experienced, very responsive and are able to come up with creative solutions’.
‘Robin Rathmell is a fantastic lawyer; he is very practical and outcome focused’.
- Representation of Jho Low, an international businessman, in global legal matters arising out of the multi-billion dollar “1MDB” asset protection case, which involves criminal charges and civil asset forfeiture proceedings brought by the DOJ, as well as additional legal action from authorities located in Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi, Singapore and various other countries.
Lewis Nedas Law Limited acts in cases of fraud, business crime and regulatory matters. Areas of expertise include cyber-crime, proceeds of crime allegations, money laundering, VAT enquiries, umbrella frauds, false accounting, tax evasion and firm tax avoidance schemes. Clients include company directors, finance professionals, accountants and solicitors. The firm regularly defends against investigations by the SFO, HMRC, NCA and the FCA. The ‘highly intelligent and results-driven’ Jeffrey Lewis heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Miles Herman; Siobhain Egan; Keith Wood; Unan Choudhury
‘Exceptional service for a team based out of the City’.
‘There is a heavy focus on client care and ensuring that advice and support is always available’.
‘Siobhan Egan has exceptional client care skills’.
‘The solicitors and staff are very well-versed in dealing with even the most complex and voluminous fraud cases and are extremely dedicated and meticulous in their preparation and presentation’.
‘They are professional and approachable and are available 24 hours a day to assist’.
‘Jeffrey Lewis is approachable and very pleasant and extremely analytical’.
‘Jeffrey Lewis is highly intelligent; up to date and results driven. He has the details of the case at his finger tips.’
‘Siobhain Egan is exceptional in her knowledge and ability in dealing with serious fraud cases. She is meticulous in her preparation and presentation of her client’s case. She is extremely diligent and her dedication is far more than that which is normally associated with fraud lawyers. She has a vast knowledge of the law and is analytical, and knows her cases inside out. She stands out in her approach to client care and in her ability to negotiate and broker advantageous deals with opponents. She is tough but fair and very supportive of her clients. I would wholeheartedly recommend her in her specialist field of white collar crime.’
‘Jeffrey Lewis is regularly instructed in serious fraud cases both here and abroad. His vast experience and depth of knowledge make him stand out from other fraud lawyers as being the one to go to. He is approachable and very pleasant. He is heads above other major competitors as he is extremely analytical and able in giving advice both legally and practically. He is willing to go the extra mile for his clients.’
- Represented a client in an NCA Prosecution involving highly complex organised money laundering which was further laundered through a diamond business in Israel, Holland and Belgium.
- Acted for a defendant acquitted of a multimillion pound charity fraud.
Macfarlanes LLP has significantly strengthened its regulatory and white collar practice with the hire of Neill Blundell from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP in 2018 to help set up its corporate crime and investigations team. The firm advises individuals who face international criminal investigations by multiple regulators, including the FCA, SFO and DOJ, and also deals with prosecutions and extradition proceedings. Areas of expertise include Fraud Act offences, bribery, corruption, money laundering, tax offences, insider dealing, market abuse, unexplained wealth orders and cartel offences. Clients include senior executives, members of family offices, entrepreneurs and ultra-high-net-worth individuals.
Other key lawyers:
Barry Donnelly; James Popperwell; Lorna Emson
‘While a new team, they have the calibre, expertise, commitment and energy to really go places’.
‘Neil Blundell is practical, efficient, driven and at the top of his game’.
‘Neill Blundell has started this department from a standing start and provides a first class service’.
‘The team is relatively boutique but what it lacks in size it more than makes up for in talent’.
‘Neil Blundell is highly regarded and super-talented’.
Morrison & Foerster LLP advises on financial crime, corruption, bribery and money laundering investigations and high-profile white-collar investigations. Other areas of expertise include compliance, tax investigations, commercial disputes, international fraud and asset tracing. It often deals with investigations from the FCA and SFO, and also handles cross-border contentious insolvency matters. Clients include senior executives, financial institutions, funds, trustees, and multinational public companies. Head of team Jonathan Wheeler is experienced in court proceedings, arbitrations, and mediations. Saqib Alam joined as of counsel from Debevoise & Plimpton LLP.
Other key lawyers:
Saqib Alam; Paul Friedman; Shawna Pasquale
Benedikt Sobotka, CEO of Eurasian Resources Group
- Acted in connection with one of the decade’s highest profile Serious Fraud Office (SFO) investigations, the probe into Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation (ENRC) for alleged fraud, bribery and corruption.
- Acting for the trustees in the bankruptcy of Muhamad Al-Ansari in a large fraud/insolvency matter.
Ropes & Gray LLP advises on white-collar crime, fraud, corruption, and regulatory and criminal investigations nationally and internationally. Client sectors include financial services, private equity, healthcare, life sciences, and energy and natural resources. In 2018, the highly regarded Judith Seddon joined from Clifford Chance and now co-heads the team; she is experienced in representing individuals in investigations. Amanda Raad, who also co-heads the team, is experienced in handling cross-border cases, and cases of financial fraud and money laundering. Rosemarie Paul joined as a partner from Akin Gump.
Other key lawyers:
Amanda Raad; Matthew Burn
Russell-Cooke LLP handles confiscations, forfeiture, restraint and freezing orders, and defence and prosecution of private prosecutions. Areas of expertise include multijurisdictional cases, employment, regulatory, international and tax advice. The firm is particularly adept at handling cases that involve intrusive media attention. Head of team Jae Carwardine is experienced in advising all levels of professionals and has defended cases against the SFO, FCA, HMRC and CPS. Hannah Bains joined as senior associate from Bark&co and Martin Rackstraw joined as a partner from Bindmans LLP.
‘This is a well-established team of high quality criminal lawyers’.
‘They are friendly, experienced and well resourced’.
‘Nicola O’Connor is absolutely first class – easy to deal with, bright, approachable and hard-working’.
‘Russell Cooke’s practice is wide and varied, they are able to deal, as a firm, with practically any allegation in the criminal and regulatory sphere’.
‘Jenny Boyden stands out in a crowded field, she is a highly dedicated and long experienced criminal defence lawyer’.
‘Nicola O’Connor is a partner in the criminal team who has very high standards and is prepared to go the extra mile for her clients’.
‘Jae Carwardine demonstrates high standards and a work ethic second to none’.
‘Jae Carwardine has an exceptional manner with clients and leaves no stone unturned in the preparation of a case.’
‘Jae Carwardine is meticulous, immensely intelligent and knowledgeable and puts the clients needs at the heart of the service.’
‘Jae Carwardine is dedicated to every case she does and devoted to the client – a great combination.’
- Represented a client in a £1m VAT evasion and money laundering case.
- Defending director in £6.2m care home fraud.
- Advising solicitors facing trial over allegations of conspiracy to defraud.
- Representing a client in a matter that relates to VAT fraud over a six year period involving multiple false tax returns and the creation of false invoices totalling an inaccurate reclaim of almost £300,000 in VAT.
- Following a three month trial at Southwark Crown Court our client was acquitted of conspiracy to defraud. A private prosecution was then brought where it was alleged that our client and others defrauded many millions of pounds from insurers. All were acquitted.
Shearman Bowen & Co
Shearman Bowen & Co handles cases against the SFO, FCA, CMA, HMRC and the police. Areas of expertise include money laundering, bribery, corruption, and fraudulent evasion of excise duty and VAT.
Rick Shearman; Mark Bowen
Other key lawyers:
Simons Muirhead & Burton
Simons Muirhead & Burton advises clients on bribery, corruption, money laundering, sanctions and financial fraud cases. The firm is seeing an increase in instructions relating to pre-charge and pre-investigation advice. It represents clients in criminal and civil courts and also in SFO investigations. Co-head of team Anthony Burton CBE is particularly adept at handling financial crime matters. Philip Smith, who also heads the team, focuses on corruption, public inquiries and money laundering.
Anthony Burton; Philip Smith
Other key lawyers:
Henrietta Ronson; David Phillips
- Acquittal of prominent shipping figure in immensely complex ten-week bribery and corruption trial.
- Massive property fraud case arising from what would have been the tallest residential building in Europe.
- Acting for Carlo Palombo, one of a number of former employees at Deutsche Bank and Barclays who was charged by the SFO in relation to allegations that they plotted to fix benchmark rates (EURIBOR) – the jury failed to reach a verdict.
- Instructed by two businessmen who, together with their company, were the subject of a lengthy City of London Police investigation focusing on the influx of millions of pounds from investors.
- Representing Simon Childs on charges of fraud by abuse of position and money laundering.
Stewarts Law LLP handles white-collar-related matters including civil fraud, asset recovery, tax litigation and reputation management. Areas of expertise include bribery, corruption, fraud, asset recovery, tax evasion, money laundering and market abuse. Richard Kovalevsky QC joined the firm in July 2018 and heads the team; he focuses on financial crime. David Savage joined as partner from SG Kleinwort Hambros.
Richard Kovalevsky QC
Other key lawyers:
David Savage; Pia Mithani; Karen Hutchinson
‘Richard Kovalevsky has an affable style linked to a detailed approach’.
‘Stewarts’ criminal practice is relatively new, but they have quickly assembled a group of highly qualified, respected lawyers who are very well placed to advise on all areas of financial crime’.
‘David Savage is a sanctions specialist who actually knows how sanctions work – having worked extensively in this field for years’.
‘Stewarts provide an excellent level of service and are extremely professional’.
‘Richard Kovalevsky QC is also able to provide unusual, often successful, solutions to complex legal problems which places him in a different league of lawyers’.
Dr Cansun Guralp
- Acting for a suspect connected to a mining company, caught up in the SFO’s ENRC investigation.
- Bribery investigation concerning the collapse of a UK plc. The investigation involves an officer of a bank who is said to have received corrupt payments for the award of construction contracts.
- Investigating large scale money laundering activity with the purpose of disclosing findings to the authorities.
- Retained directly by an Ambassador to advise in a sensitive criminal difficulty.
- Representing Frank Dowling, a high-profile London restauranteur and club owner prosecuted by HMRC in relation to allegations of substantial non-payment of tax.
Boutique Stokoe Partnership Solicitors provides privately funded and legally aided advice on various financial and white-collar crime matters. Areas of expertise include commercial fraud, bribery, corruption, cybercrime and hacking. The firm also handles HMRC and VAT issues, confiscation and civil recovery matters and is seeing an increase in instructions in relation to money laundering, confiscation and extradition. Clients include high-net-worth individuals, professionals including solicitors, financial brokers and company directors, and corporate entities. Bambos Tsiattalou heads the team and is adept at handling financial matters including insider dealing, regulatory and FCA investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Amjid Jabbar; Brian Swan; Paul Oliver; Maria Theodoulou
- Representing two clients convicted of a £245m bribery and corruption scheme at HBOS. The investigation and trial have taken approximately 7 years and the case is now subject to a further enquiry by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- Representing a client who, prior to our instruction, was convicted of conspiracy to cheat the public revenue. The alleged fraud, which began in early 2002, is estimated at up to £250m and is widely known as the “film schemes”.
- Representing a client charged with perpetrating a fraud on HMRC the value of which is in excess of £13m.
- Represented two lawyers who were prosecuted for perpetrating a £4m fraud against the Legal Aid Agency.
- Representing a number of clients said to be part of a criminal organisation who perpetrated a VAT fraud estimated to exceed £3m.
Taylor Wessing LLP is adept at defending individuals and representing them at interviews conducted by various regulators including the FCA, FRC, SFO and SEC. Financial regulatory investigations are a particular area of focus and the firm also advises on data protection, cybercrime, corruption, asset tracing and parallel criminal, civil and regulatory proceedings. The team is headed by corporate investigation and commercial litigation specialist David De Ferrars and corporate wrongdoing and regulatory investigation specialist Tim Strong.
David De Ferrars; Tim Strong
Other key lawyers:
Laurence Lieberman; Paul Glass; Shane Gleghorn; Andrew Howell
- Acting for Professor Russel Griggs, the Independent Reviewer appointed by Lloyds Banking Group, in consultation with the FCA, in the high profile review and redress programme for those SME customers impacted by the £250m fraud that took place at the Reading branch of HBoS in the early 2000s.
Tuckers Solicitors advises on criminal defence, regulatory, civil liberties and prison law. Areas of expertise include business crime, corruption, risk management, compliance, regulatory matters, crisis management and cross-border fraud investigations. Clients include companies, financial institutions, government authorities and high-net-worth individuals. Richard Egan is recommended for his experience in fraud, private client instructions, money laundering and international criminal conspiracies.
Richard Egan; Jim Meyer; Sarnjit Lal
- Acting for the lead defendant in an international conspiracy to cheat the public revenue of hundreds of millions of pounds in a tax avoidance scheme causing investors to invest in film development projects.
- Acting for Diezani Alison-Mudueke the former president of OPEC and former Nigerian minister for Oil and Transport who is subject to a long running NCA investigation in the UK relating to fraud, corruption and money laundering along with moves by the current Nigerian regime to extradite her back to that jurisdiction to stand trial.
- Acting for the financial director of a British Mining Company with contracts in Sierra Leone who is being investigated by the SFO for alleged fraud and corruption relating to mining rights in the African Republic.
Arnold & Porter advises clients on regulatory investigations, corporate crime and compliance. Areas of expertise include negotiations with foreign regulatory agencies, advising boards, anti-fraud policies and criminal defence. Co-head of team Kathleen Harris is experienced in representing board-level executives seeking criminal law and regulatory advice. Sean Curran, who also co-heads the team, is adept at handling investigations by the SFO, FCA, HMRC and FRC.
Kathleen Harris; Sean Curran
‘The breadth of knowledge in respect of white-collar crime surpasses every other firm that purports to offer a service at a corporate level’.
‘Kathleen Harris is a genuine force of nature and one of the most formidable litigators in corporate white-collar defence’.
‘Sean Curran is approachable, charismatic and someone who wears his considerable intelligence very lightly’.
‘Arnold & Porter have unique expertise in managing complex corporate crime for corporate and individuals’.
‘Kathleen Harris is fearless, measured, and acts with integrity, which means she commands the respect of the authorities who are investigating her clients’.
‘Sean Curran is an experienced and robust litigator handling some of the heaviest white collar crime instructions in the City’.
‘Kathleen Harris is the best of the best in her field’.
Fieldfisher's white-collar practice includes dedicated criminal law experts - both solicitors and barristers - who are able to advise a client from the beginning of an investigation through to trial and, where necessary, appeal. The team regularly acts for individuals caught up in high profile criminal cases, advising in relation to allegations such as fraud, corruption, money laundering and sanction breaches. It handles matters involving various regulatory/investigatory authorities including the SFO, the FCA, HMRC and the National Crime Agency in the UK and the US DoJ. It also provides advice around Bribery Act compliance and issue management. The team is headed by Tony Lewis and Francesca Titus, with the firm adding Kyle Phillips as a senior associate from Howard Kennedy.
Tony Lewis; Francesca Titus
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm provides a Rolls Royce Service – nothing is impossible’.
‘Fieldfisher have an excellent reputation within the industry for representing and advising private clients in large scale white-collar crime cases and internal fraud investigations within companies’.
‘Tony Lewis has expertise, knowledge and passion for his area of work that is unquestionable’.
‘Francesca Titus brings years of independent practice as a barrister to offer a unique advantage for those wishing to avoid litigation. She is brilliantly clever and a delight to work with’.
‘Francesca Titus leads a team that provides really excellent legal advice and representation in the area of crime, particularly white-collar’.
‘Kyle Phillips has developed an impressive reputation as a highly efficient lawyer with excellent judgement and an impressive work ethic’.
- Representing a defendant, a former director of a successful printing company who counted Royal Bank of Scotland as a client. The directors are alleged to have committed an 8 year fraud against HMRC leading to a loss to HMRC of around £4m.
Since launching its UK white collar defence and special investigations practice in 2018 with the hire of Barry Vitou from Pinsent Masons LLP , US firm Greenberg Traurig, LLP has been on an upward trajectory. In addition to its work for corporates, the team also advises individuals facing domestic and international investigations by various regulatory authorities including the FCA, HMRC, CPS and SFO. Areas of expertise include worldwide criminal money laundering investigations, bribery, recovery orders, enforcement, compliance, pre-investigations, investigations and prosecution. Anne-Marie Ottaway joined as partner from Pinsent Masons LLP in October 2018.
Other key lawyers:
Anne-Marie Ottaway; Gareth Hall
‘A wide range of hands-on experience and expert knowledge of UK regulators and law enforcement agencies’.
‘A really good grasp of the underlying issues behind a matter’.
‘An ability to find solutions that don’t “boil the ocean’, which helps keep costs down’.
Roger Jenkins, former Barclays’ investment banker in the Middle East
- Continuing to represent Roger Jenkins, former head of Barclays’ investment banking and investment management business in the Middle East, in connection with his trial at Southwark Crown Court, which started on 9 January 2019.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP' corporate crime and investigations team is able to advise on white collar crime compliance and investigations work around the world. Its UK team is backed by offices across Asia, Australia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East and the US, advising on multiple aspects of corporate crime including bribery, corruption and money laundering, taking the lead on both investigations and compliance work. Individual clients include directors, senior management and other employees. Susannah Cogman heads the team and has experience advising on anti-money laundering systems and controls failures, and representing clients in FCA investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Brian Spiro; Dan Hudson; Kate Meakin; Elizabeth Head; Ajay Malhotra; David Knott; Kathryn Boyd
‘The team is stuffed with highly intelligent, hard-working, gifted lawyers’.
‘Elizabeth Head is a star in the making’.
The Executive Counsel to the Financial Reporting Council
Various employees and ex-employees of Tesco plc
A senior British businessman involved in bribery allegations concerning GlaxoSmithKline’s activities in China
Various individuals in respect of the SFO’s investigation into Afren PLC
- Defending former Barclays’ Middle East investment banker Mr Roger Jenkins in the SFO prosecution of Barclays senior executives in relation to Qatar’s 2008 investment and acting for Jenkins in related civil proceedings.
- Acting for an individual in respect of an ongoing US Department of Justice and US Internal Revenue Service investigation.
- Advising individuals who were suspects in an SFO investigation.
- Acting for an ultra-high-net-worth individual in relation to a criminal investigation following the Panama Papers leak.
Hogan Lovells International LLP acts for individuals, companies and financial institutions in relation to matters including investigations, compliance, bribery, corruption, money laundering, fraud, tax evasion and false accounting. With clients praising it for offering 'real insight', the team is adept at handling investigations by the SFO, FCA, NCA and the police. The firm often deals with multi-jurisdictional cases and has particular experience in Russia. Crispin Rapinet heads the team and is adept at handling matters involving the UK Bribery Act and international legislation.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Hardman; Claire Lipworth; Liam Naidoo
‘This is a team with real insight into the practical and multifaceted problems in managing white-collar cases’.
‘Claire Lipworth is an exceptional lawyer and a great strategist’.
‘Chris Hardman is rightly regarded as one of the best litigators in the city’.
‘They are innovative and dogged in their pursuit of a client’s case’.
- The team is advising Isha Johansen, president of the Sierra Leone Football Association, in relation to an investigation by the Anti-Corruption Commission of Sierra Leone into allegations of improper use of FIFA funds.
- The team has achieved a successful settlement in defending Stephen Mullens, a former lawyer to Bernie Ecclestone, in a high-profile claim by a New York investment company, Bluewaters Communications, alleging bribery in relation to the 2006 sale of the Formula 1 business. Fellow defendants included Bernie Ecclestone (long-time head of Formula 1), Bambino, one of the Ecclestone family trusts, and German bank Bayern Landesbank (BLB).
K&L Gates LLP
K&L Gates LLP advises individuals and corporations on investigations, regulatory compliance and risk. Areas of expertise include bribery, corruption, fraud, insider trading, anti-money laundering advice, cartels, health and safety, sanctions, extradition and mutual legal assistance. The firm has recently handled cases involving investigations by the FCA and SFO. Co-head of team Dylan Moses handles multi-jurisdictional white-collar crime, fraud, bribery, corruption and regulatory matters. Brian Saulnier, who also co-heads the team, specialises in corruption matters.
Other key lawyers:
Brian Saulnier; James Millward; Clarissa Coleman
Kangs Solicitors is adept at handling financing crime issues, multijurisdictional crime matters, regulatory investigations, tax fraud, bribery, corruption, cartels, insider dealing, investment fraud and money laundering. Clients include solicitors, accountants, financial advisers, City traders, doctors, dentists and surveyors. Hamraj Kang heads the team and often deals with investigations by the SFO, FCA, BIS and HMRC.
Other key lawyers:
John Veale; Frances Murray; Timothy Thompson
- Represented one of 10 defendants charged with bribery, corruption and money laundering offences by Scotland Yard’s complex fraud team.
- Represented 1 of 18 defendants in relation to a multi-jurisdictional investment fraud claim at Southwark Crown Court.
- Represented a client in relation to a complex missing trader intra-community/VAT fraud claim valued in excess of £20m at Sheffield Crown Court.
- Represented a high profile consultant surgeon in relation to allegations of fraud and perverting the course of justice.
- Represented the chairman of a UK PLC in an SFO investigation into allegations bribery and corruption in the former Soviet Republic.
Morgan Rose Solicitors
Morgan Rose Solicitors advises clients in relation to fraud, bribery, corruption, investigations, confiscation and restraint matters. It often deals with investigations brought by the SFO, FCA, HMRC, CPS, NCA as well as various government departments. Clients include company officers, high-net-worth individuals and employees. The firm also provides advisory work pre-charge. Head of team Simon Rose is experienced in cross-border regulation and prosecution work.
Other key lawyers:
Gary Lesin-Davis; Mark Rostron
Osborne Clarke LLP
Osborne Clarke LLP is adept at representing individuals including senior executives caught up in multijurisdictional investigations, financial crime matters, fraud, extradition, bribery and corruption. The firm advises clients in the financial services, investment funds, real estate, automotive, life sciences, technology, and retail sectors. The ‘extremely knowledgeable’ Jeremy Summers heads the team and is experienced in acting in SFO investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Tom Ellis; Charlie Wedin; Peter Sheppard
‘Jeremy Summers is leading a team that is extremely efficient and capable in dealing with fraud and white collar matters’.
‘Jeremy Summers has decades of experience as a criminal defence solicitor’.
RadcliffesLeBrasseur LLP advises corporates and individuals on fraud, white-collar crime, compliance and regulatory matters. Areas of expertise include injunctions, PoCA matters, confiscation, money laundering, prevention of crime and internal investigations. The firm often deals with investigations by the SFO, CPS, FCA and HMRC.
Other key lawyers:
Anil Rajani; Stuart Lindley
‘Anil Rajani is results driven and always has the correct strategy in mind’.
- Advising former directors of Northampton Town Football Club in relation to parallel civil proceedings breach of fiduciary duty, fraud and substantial criminal investigations and proceedings for fraud, money laundering under the Proceeds of Crime Act, and offences of conspiracy to cheat.
- Advising a Saudi Arabian national and his company, in proceedings against an American corporation in relation to allegations of breach of contract involving potential offences under the Bribery Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Allegations were made in relation to money laundering and complex corporate structures to conceal the proceeds of crime.
- Representing John Blavo in relation to allegations of a £23m fraud involving the Legal Aid Agency and the Lord Chancellor’s department.
- Representing a lawyer currently under investigation by the Serious Fraud Office in relation to allegations of fraud by false representation and breach of position in addition to potential offences of money laundering.