Corporate and commercial in Jersey
Carey Olsen continues to handle top-of-market corporate work, covering M&A across a range of sectors, as well as restructurings, offshore real estate deals and redomiciliations. Practice head Guy Coltman's deal flow includes heavyweight M&A deals and restructurings, some of which touch on emerging markets, with Alex Ohlsson handling the Jersey elements of heavyweight London real estate deals. James Willmott has a track record of deals in the financial services and banking spaces.
‘A sharp, practical, efficient and effective team, more than able to hold its own with large US law firms.‘
‘A highly responsive, energetic team which navigates Jersey law and practice smoothly, providing concise, commercial advice along the way. Clear market leaders in Jersey for corporate work.‘
‘James Willmott is a strong communicator and gives clear, pragmatic advice. He also has excellent technical knowledge that he can deploy quickly.‘
‘Guy Coltman has a good no-nonsense attitude to getting deals over the line and is acutely alive to the client’s commercial goals.‘
Barrick Gold Corporation
Strategic Value Partners
Sanne Group Plc
Delphi Technologies Plc
- Advised Barrick Gold on its merger with Randgold Resources, consummated via Jersey scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Butterfield Bank on its purchase of Deutsche Bank’s banking and custody businesses in the Channel Islands, as well as the Cayman Islands.
- Advised Capco Trust on the sale of the company to Ocorian.
- Working with the firm’s Jersey office, advised The Stars Group on the Jersey elements of its multi-jurisdictional purchase of Sky Betting & Gaming.
- Advised Sanne on its purchase of AgenSynd, a loan agency business.
Mourant handles heavyweight transactions for well-known businesses and private equity houses, as well as market-leading real estate transactions. 'First-class practitioner' James Hill's practice includes matters such as heavyweight deals concerning real estate assets, while Robert Hickling and Paul Martin handle billion-pound M&A deals. Jon Woolrich , described as 'an effective, experienced operator' also advises on transactions for elite private equity houses. Gareth Rigby heads the practice. Below partner level, the 'very knowledgeable' counsel Iain Millar is held in high esteem by clients.
‘The premium offshore firm for significant corporate transactions.’
‘An extremely capable team: it has detailed knowledge of all aspects of Jersey law, sound commercial knowledge and a pragmatic and collaborative approach to getting deals done. It feels more like a part of the main transaction team than a Jersey offshoot.‘
‘Jon Woolrich is an effective, experienced operator with a good manner and is very easy to deal with. He tells clients what they need to know, what they need to take interest in, and what they don’t need to worry about.’
‘James Hill is a first-class practitioner with excellent client and commercial skills.‘
‘Paul Martin leads with commercial acumen and insight for clients. He is well networked across his firm to act as a true point of contact.’
‘Mark Chambers is engaged, dynamic and very approachable: he knows everything there is to know.‘
‘Robert Hickling provides sound legal advice and demonstrates an exceptional commitment to the matters on which he is instructed.‘
‘Iain Millar is very knowledgeable, and always delivers practical and commercial solutions.‘
- Advised Shire on the company’s sale to Takeda Pharmaceutical via a Jersey scheme of arrangement.
- Advised a consortium of investors including Goldman Sachs on the sale of 144 Travelodge hotels to several different buyers.
- Advised Cinven on its purchase of Envirotainer for around €1bn.
- Advised Bain Capital on its £1.2bn purchase of esure Group.
- Advised Elliott Advisors, an activist hedge fund, on its purchase of a majority stake in Waterstones.
At Ogier, 'effective, energetic and intelligent' practice head Simon Dinning and Jersey office head Raulin Amy handle the Jersey elements of agenda-setting M&A deals and restructurings. Richard Daggett's transactions include private equity deals and deals concerning iconic real estate. Matthew Shaxson has expertise in financial services industry deals. Clients recommend 'knowledgeable and responsive' managing associate Alexander Curry. The firm has BVI law capability in Jersey, with Simon Schilder, the firm's head of BVI law in Europe, based in St. Helier; Dinning is also BVI qualified.
‘Ogier has a stellar corporate practice providing specialist legal advice across various offshore jurisdictions and across various different sectors and workstreams. This cohesive team works well together providing clients with the answers they need to get a deal done efficiently and in line with the timetable.‘
‘Ogier has a team of professionals that demonstrate skills and ability in the specific subject matters. The expertise that clients have access to in the different areas of the law and jurisdictions makes the firm stand out from its peers.‘
‘Highly responsive and well informed on Jersey regulatory practices, the team provides a first-class service in support of corporate transactions.‘
‘Simon Dinning is definitely a lawyer you want on your side of the table: he is effective, energetic and intelligent while maintaining a good sense of humour throughout difficult negotiations.
‘Richard Daggett is an exemplary partner and is supported by an industry leading team. He exercises sound judgement on complicated points of law and is able to provide workable solutions.’
‘Matthew Shaxson stands out for his responsiveness and pragmatism.’
‘Alexander Curry is knowledgeable, responsive and personable: he is always happy to assist clients with ad hoc queries.‘
‘Raulin Amy leads his teams well and provides practical advice on local matters with an eye to what is driving the bigger picture.‘
EN+ Group plc
OMERS Private Equity
Tullow Oil plc
- Advised Takeda on its £46bn purchase of Shire plc, creating the world’s largest pharmaceutical company, structured as a Jersey scheme of arrangement.
- Advised Randgold Resources on its merger with Barrick Gold.
- Advised EN+ Group on restructuring the company to order to secure the company’s removal from the OFAC sanctions list by removing Oleg Deripaska’s voting rights.
- Advised UBM plc on its £3.9bn sale to Informa plc.
- Advised two Malaysian institutional investors on purchasing a site including the Battersea Power Station for £1.6bn.
Appleby's practice handles a range of work, including major cross-border deals, often working with its other offices elsewhere in the Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories. Andrew Weaver handles a mix of work for both trade buyers and private equity houses, while James Gaudin's practice includes cross-border real estate and corporate transactions, and also technical company law issues. Wendy Benjamin, who divides her time between Jersey and Guernsey, handles a number of deals in financial services sectors, including restructurings of banks to comply with ring-fencing requirements.
‘Speedy and efficient, with practical knowledge and expertise.’
‘Easy to use and likable.’
Ashby Capital LLP
Atrium European Real Estate Limited
AXA Partners SAS
Helix Property Limited
Lloyds Bank Plc
Standard Chartered Bank
- Advised 21st Century Fox on the Jersey elements of its bid for Sky plc; the target was eventually purchased by Comcast.
- Advised Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group on its £4.3bn sale to Marsh & McLennan.
- Advised August Equity on its sale of a majority stake in VetPartners to Aves Management, and subsequently a sale of the remaining minority stake to BC Partners.
- Advised PraxisIFM on its purchase of Nerine International Holdings.
- Advised Ashby Capital on its purchase of several UK real estate assets for £290m.
Bedell Cristin handles a range of cross-border deals, covering real estate, natural resources and media transactions, as well as challenging on-island deals. The 'strong, commercially minded yet technical' Tim Pearce heads the practice, while the 'highly impressive' Guy Westmacott is a new partner promotion: he worked with Martin Paul on the Jersey elements of some of the UK's agenda-setting M&A deals.
‘Bedell Cristin provides absolutely top-class Jersey law advice – they are always very efficient, pragmatic and responsive.’
‘In terms of work quality, the firm is very good at complex corporate work and finding practical solutions to problems. They really add value on deals. In terms of working with the team: they are very friendly, responsive and overall easy to work with.‘
‘Tim Pearce is a very strong, commercially minded yet technical transactional lawyer.‘
‘Guy Westmacott is highly impressive: all over the legal and commercial issues, and a strong and persuasive negotiator.’
Gap Group Limited
Harrison Street Real Estate Capital LLC
Highland Gold Mining Limited
JT (Jersey) Limited
Legal & General Pensions Limited
Pandora Jewellery UK Limited
Vitruvian Partners LLP
- Advised Gap Group on its trade purchase of fellow plant hire company 4 Group, which had its origins in Jersey.
- Advised M&J Evans on an investment in the company by Bregal Freshstream.
- Advised Comcast Corporations on the Jersey regulatory aspects of its purchase of Sky plc, including approval by the Jersey Competition and Regulatory Authority.
- Advised JT Group (formerly known as Jersey Telecom) on the sale of its telephone directory business.
- Advised Pandora Jewellery UK Limited on purchasing the stores operating under its brand in Jersey.
Maples Group handles cross-border deals, including politically sensitive matters, frequently representing key institutional investors such as private equity houses and sovereign wealth funds. Other areas of expertise include directors' duties and shareholder relations matters. The 'hugely collaborative' Chris Byrne and the 'commercial, technical and thorough' Paul Burton are the key partners in the team.
Paul Burton; Chris Byrne
‘A deep, experienced and very capable team with the ability to advise on complex issues in the area of corporate, family office and philanthropic matters. The Jersey practice has access to a global network that is well-connected and covers the corporate jurisdictions well.’
‘Paul Burton is commercial, technical and thorough: spending time with him is a pleasure.’
‘Chris Byrne is an excellent senior practitioner with superb client skills who listens to clients needs and delivers excellent advice. He provides constructive and pragmatic advice, is solution-orientated and hugely collaborative to work with.‘
At WALKERS, Jonathan Heaney and Mark Crichton handle cross-border M&A, including deals in the corporate services sector, as well as matters regarding UK real estate deals. In addition, Nigel Weston has restructuring expertise. Clients also recommend senior counsel Guy Morris.
‘A very responsive corporate team that provides legal advice in a commercial way that is relevant to a client’s needs, with strength in depth.‘
‘A very user-friendly and proactive team on corporate and banking matters.‘
‘Mark Crichton is always approachable and helpful. He provides sound legal advice in a timely manner, always being cognisant of the client’s commercial objectives.‘
Apex Group Limited
Abu Dhabi Financial Group
Apache Capital Partners
Harbert Management Corporation
United Energy Group
- Advised Apex Group on its purchase of fellow fund administrator Ipes.
- Advised United Energy Group on its purchase of Kuwait Energy for $650m.
- Advised the shareholders of Minerva on the company’s sale to JTC.
- Advised Floreat Group on its purchase of a Jersey company owning real estate in Bristol and Cardiff via a BVI structure.
- Advised Apex Group on its purchase of Link Asset Services’ corporate and private client services business.
Deals concerning the elite of London real estate sit at the core of Ward Yates' corporate practice. Victoria Yates, Elaine Kelly and practice head Nick Ward (who is also BVI qualified) are the key names in the team, which also handles technical restructuring matters, many of which are cross-border.
‘Ward Yates provides a bespoke service which is tailored to the individual needs of a diverse range of clients. It is flexible and adaptable, and provides a consistency of service irrespective of whether the client is a multinational group or a standalone property company.’
‘It is always a joy to work with the team because of their friendly and approachable manner and incisive legal minds.‘
‘The firm is run by committed senior people who provide excellent service and high-quality advice: the sort of people you need on a big value deal where the advice has to be just right.‘
‘Nick Ward is highly knowledgeable, extremely commercial, and always happy to put forward a view rather than simply sit on the fence. His advice is always clear and to the point, and the quality of the documents he prepares is excellent.‘
‘Victoria Yates combines experience in the Jersey market with a genuine desire to get the deal done – and done efficiently.‘
First Names Group
- Advised Kantara Hospitality, a Qatari-based hotel developer, on its purchase of the Grosvenor House Hotel.
Collas Crill handles a range of work in the corporate and commercial space, with Dilmun Leach and BVI-qualified practice head Mike Williams having expertise in cross-border M&A and real estate. The aforementioned group partners have been joined by the locally qualified Matthew Gilley, who joined from Ogier where he was a managing associate, bringing with him a track record of onshore real estate deals. Below partner level, Fiona Wilson is a key counsel. Ian Montgomery is now in the firm's Tortola office.
Condor Ferries Limited
Credit Suisse AG
Ernst & Young
- Advised Bilbrook Limited on its purchase of Jersey Lavender, involving the acquisition of a number of Jersey SPVs and a corporate restructuring.
- Advised Kier Limited on its sale of KSHA to EDI Works for £24m.
- Advised JTC on its corporate purchase of the Minerva Group, acting as lead counsel.
- Advised HFD3 Glasgow Limited on its purchase of 100 Bothwell Street in Glasgow.
- Advised a Riverside Capital structure on the sale of Derbyshire County Cricket Club’s ground.
Lexstone Lawyers' Lucy Egerton-Vernon and Marcus Stone handle a range of corporate advisory matters such as market entries, JPUT transactions and shareholder buybacks. Associate Claudia Martans provides a Panamanian law capability; the firm in addition has strong connections to Poland (Agnieszka Bielanska, a key senior associate in the team, is Polish-qualified) and is scheduled to open an office in Wroclaw in May 2019.
Royal Road Minerals Limited
SFH Jersey Limited (Soditic)
Garfield Bennett Trust Company Limited
Hawk Family Office
- Advised Toronto-listed mining company Royal Road Minerals Limited as external general counsel, with particular mandates including advice on opening a branch in Peru.
Voisin Law covers the gamut of Jersey corporate work, including Jersey elements of UK real estate deals and restructurings. Jeffrey Giovannoni handles locally significant transactions featuring on-island assets, with Kate Anderson handling transactions for fund managers. Daniel Walker is a well-regarded senior associate.
‘Very efficient and smooth operators. Very dedicated to getting the transaction done – it is more like a City firm which happens to be in Jersey.‘
‘Kate Anderson, in particular, is very pragmatic and commercial. She stands out amongst Jersey lawyers in this respect.’
‘Daniel Walker is very responsive, helpful, efficient and pragmatic.‘
Other key lawyers:
Dickinson Gleeson's practice, headed by Edward Scott, has a core strength of advising on Jersey offshore structures used in UK real estate deals. The firm benfits from partnerships with intermediaries including Reed Smith LLP and Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP, while it also collaborates with Guernsey firm Ferbrache & Farrell LLP for pan-Channel Islands corporate and finance work.
‘Edward Scott gives practical, user-friendly advice, and is viewed as part of the client team an the onshore firm presents.‘
The Reuben Brothers
Royal Bank of Canada
- Advised the Reuben Brothers on their purchase of Burlington Arcade for £300m, structured via a Jersey SPV.
- Advised Tellon Capital on its £60m purchase of the Chineham Shopping Centre in Basingstoke, structured via a Jersey limited partnership and three corporate SPVs.
- Advised Tellon Capital on its sale of the Atlantic Pavilion in Liverpool for £10.75m.
Key names at Hatstone Lawyers include Mark Rawlins, who has a track record of Cayman law expertise, and Simon Vivian. The firm has a track record of international work, including connections with South Africa and Malta. Previously a group partner at the firm, Bennie Burger is now in-house at Prospect Capital.
Pinel Advocates is perhaps strongest for on-island work, but is also instructed in deals involving UK assets. Name partner Andrew Pinel heads the practice, with senior associates David Yetman and Oliver Hughes key contacts for local work.
‘Pinel Advocates is readily contactable and provides consistent and commercially focused advice. They are seasoned operators in the Jersey market and have all of the relevant contacts to be able to provide practical solutions to both legal and logistical issues.’
‘David Yetman has been the force behind some very complex transactions and works in a professional but friendly manner with all parties – he provides very timely and straightforward advice that all can follow with ease, aiding complex transactions.’
JTC (Jersey) Limited
Link Asset Services Limited
Predator Oil & Gas Holdings plc
- Advised C5 on its sale to BDO.
- Advised Rathbone Advisors on an internal restructuring.