With a sizeable team of well-regarded corporate lawyers — including James Willmott, David Taylor and Alex Ohlsson — and a client roster comprising top-flight public and private companies, Carey Olsen routinely acts on Jersey’s headline M&A transactions. Not limited to deal work, practice head Guy Coltman also veers into the semi-contentious space, particularly in regards to shareholder disputes. The team has witnessed an increase in distressed sales and recapitalisations for a range of clients including technology, financial services, retail and engineering companies. Counsel David Allen assists with Jersey schemes of arrangement, while senior associate Katherine Tresca contributes to downstream private equity deals.
Corporate and commercial in Jersey
Other key lawyers:
James Willmott; David Taylor; Alex Ohlsson; David Allen; Katherine Tresca
‘Carey Olsen has a reputation for a strong corporate practice. We have worked with Guy Coltman in respect of some challenging corporate law matters. His knowledge of corporate law coupled with a agile legal brain provided strong and impressive technical support. Excellent negotiation skills.’
‘There is strength in this team, they have close ties with international law firms and a reputation for supporting complex cross-border transactions.’
‘All excellent technically, approachable, pragmatic.’
‘Carey Olsen have a real strength in depth within their corporate team – they take a proactive approach to both client and matter management, ensuring even the most complex of tasks are completed efficiently and to the highest level.’
‘David Taylor is my main contact, and deals with all of our transactional matters – he is dedicated, proactive and has a thorough understanding of our business.’
‘The team at Carey Olsen understand how our business works and what we need, and they are very good at delivering this in an efficient manner. I would strongly recommend them.’
‘Guy Coltman is supremely commercial.’
Charterhouse Development Capital
Helm Trust Company
LCN Capital Partners
Lloyds Bank Group
The States of Jersey Development Company
- Advised Delphi Technologies, listed on the NYSE, on its acquisition by BorgWarner in an all-stock deal with a transaction value of $3.3bn.
- Advised global fashion retailer New Look on a recapitalisation of its finances that included a £550m debt for equity swap and capital injection of £40m.
- Advised on the cross-border merger of KPMG Channel Islands and KPMG Isle of Man to form a single practice operating across the Crown Dependencies.
Mourant’s expansive finance and corporate bench is a leading choice for global private equity houses and FTSE 250 companies. Leading the practice, Gareth Rigby has recently acted on impressive international mergers in the energy sector. Newly promoted partner Neil McCarroll takes on public-to-private transactions for private equity consortiums, while also leading on homespun M&A mandates. Mark Chambers also plays a key role within the transactional team, advising on M&A and private equity deals. On top of transactional work, team members including Robert Hickling, Paul Martin (‘the epitome of technical quality‘) and the ‘pragmatic, experienced, available and responsive‘ Jon Woolrich provide board guidance for listed companies. James Hill handles a commendable volume of UK real estate M&A deals for clients across the US, Canada and EMEA. Counsel Laura Dauney adds corporate regulatory knowledge to the team.
Other key lawyers:
Neil McCarroll; Robert Hickling; Paul Martin; Jon Woolrich; James Hill; Laura Dauney; Mark Chambers
‘Highly responsive, commercial and pragmatic, and with the bench strength needed to respond to short deadlines and large transactions.’
‘Jon Woolrich and Laura Dauny are both very responsive and have a can-do attitude. They have always accommodated our business needs and I really enjoy working with them as they are so straightforward and easy to deal with. They get the job done with minimal stress.’
‘Mourant is one of the clear market leaders in Jersey. The service we have received from the firm is first rate, in particular from Jon Woolrich.’
‘Jon Woolrich is the stand out for us – pragmatic, experienced, available and responsive – all the characteristics we need from Jersey counsel.’
‘Mourant are my go-to firm for offshore work in the Channel Islands. The team there is bright, experienced and offers superior Jersey advice and service. I would always look to work with them on Jersey/Guernsey matters.’
‘Market leading in terms of levels of service, technically sound advice and a commercial approach to matters.’
‘Paul Martin is exceptional – responsive, technically sound and very commercial – all things being equal, typically my first choice.’
‘Paul Martin is the epitome of technical quality used to determine commercial needs, in the context of getting the right solution for each client and each project.’
Greystar Real Estate Partners
Charterhouse Capital Advisors
Clayton, Dubilier & Rice
Advent International Corporation
Vista Equity Partners
DWS Alternatives Global
- Advised BorgWarner on the completion of the $3.3bn takeover of NYSE listed Delphi Technologies.
- Acting for Warburg Pincus in relation to the acquisition of interests in Tilney Smith & Williamson as part of the merger of Tilney and Smith & Williamson.
- Advised a consortium of investors on both corporate and finance aspects of the proposed acquisition of the entire issued share capital of UK energy company, Calisen plc.
Ogier’s corporate practice is a market leader in financial services M&A, evidenced by team head Matthew Shaxson’s handling of sophisticated, regulated acquisitions on behalf of multinational investment management companies. Shaxson is described by one client as 'one of the leading M&A lawyers in Jersey and a joy to deal with'. Richard Daggett and the ‘outstanding‘ Simon Dinning are key partners for UK real estate deals; recent instructions included portfolio sales for global pension funds clients, and acquisitions of high-value warehouse assets for funds clients. The bench includes Raulin Amy, who performs multibillion-dollar corporate restructurings, and James Fox, who is highly active in the private equity sector. Counsel Marie-Claire Fudge and managing associates Oliver Richardson and Alexander Curry are vital players below partner level.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Daggett; Simon Dinning; Raulin Amy; James Fox; Marie-Claire Fudge; Oliver Richardson; Alexander Curry; Kevin Grové; Chloe Watson-Hill
‘The corporate team at Ogier delivers technical excellent advice but, unlike competitor firms in the island, it does so in the commercial context of our business. They make a real effort to understand our objectives and to partner with us to achieve those objectives.’
‘The investment that Ogier has made in technology stands them head and shoulders above others. This investment positively impacts their service delivery. Thy embrace technology to enhance the client experience.’
‘I am also consistently impressed at the firm’s very visible commitment to diversity and inclusion and indeed to well being. They understand the importance of these topics. As a female using their services I am very aware that they actually take action on these topics rather than just talking about it. On diversity in particular they walk the walk!!! This is very important to me.’
‘Simon Dinning is the lead partner that I deal with. He is outstanding. I have worked with both onshore and offshore lawyers over many years and Simon embodies what clients look for in a lawyer.’
‘In terms of associates, I have had the pleasure of working with Alexander Curry, Oliver Richardson, Kevin Grové and Chloe Watson-Hill. All are first rate and I would not hesitate to use them.’
‘Ogier are my go-to lawyers in Jersey. Always responsive, they know the law and practice well and they help to solve the problems that can inevitably arise.’
‘Raulin Amy is extremely pragmatic and a real problem-solver.’
‘We worked very closely with James Fox and Oliver Richardson. Both worked to become an extremely harmonious part of a multijurisdictional transaction team.’
The Carlyle Group
The Ardonagh Group Limited
Anglo American plc
Jet2 Plc (previously known as Dart Group Plc)
Warburg Pincus International LLC and TowerBrook Capital Partners
Brooks Macdonald International
DB Financial Investment / Hyundai Asset Management
Urban Logistics REIT plc
The PRS REIT plc
Europe Realty Holdings Pte Ltd (GIC)
Kennedy Wilson Holdings, Inc.
Northwood Investors LLC
OMERS Private Equity
Petra Diamonds Limited
Tullow Oil plc
Tristan Capital Partners
Coro Energy plc
Eriell Group International Limited
EN+ Group plc
- Acted as legal counsel to Brooks Macdonald International on the acquisition of a Channel Islands fund management and discretionary investment management business.
- Acted as Jersey legal counsel to the mandated lead arrangers on the Jersey legal aspects of financing the £6.8bn acquisition of Asda Group Limited by the Issa brothers and private equity firm TDR Capital.
Appleby’s corporate department is a go-to name for regulatory advice in the financial services sector, working with clients on governance matters, new investment platforms and ringfencing issues. In the M&A space, practice head Andrew Weaver, James Gaudin and senior associates Kevin McQuillan and Chris Smedley handle buy-side deals in the sports, retail and real estate sectors, as well as insurance mergers. Previously in-house counsel at Standard Life Aberdeen, Mark Brady has experience in the specialist sectors of natural resources and fintech.
Other key lawyers:
James Gaudin; Kevin McQuillan; Chris Smedley; Mark Brady
‘Kevin McQuillan is very approachable, commercial and available. Pragmatic and solution-focused.’
‘Superb joined-up team, with the ability to support on all aspects of the transaction. The Appleby team feel like an extension of your own team, which enables you to provide seamless advice to your client. They are technically very good but importantly adopt a commercial and solution-oriented approach.’
‘Andrew Weaver and Kevin McQuillan are super responsive, they know their stuff and the market well and are commercially savvy – they are my primary go-to individuals in Jersey.’
‘The practice is very hands-on and personable considering that they are a market leader, which is important to us.’
‘Kevin McQuillan has the great ability of breaking down complex legal analysis into language that is easily understood by our clients. Our clients were delighted with him as he was was commercial and ensured that a deal was done whilst always making sure he was looking out for the client. He is open and transparent with his fee quotes.’
‘We have been working very closely with Chris Smedley, who is a contact point not only for us internally but also from other providers in Jersey whenever it comes to complicated legal transactions. Chris is not only an excellent counsel but he is also extremely approachable, treats the requests from the broader team equally and he is always one of our most reliable partners.’
‘One of the strongest teams in Jersey.’
Advanz Pharma Corp.
ALK Capital LLC
Ashby Capital LLP
Atlantic Leaf Properties Limited
Atrium European Real Estate Limited
Lloyds Banking Group PLC
Mohsin Issa and Zuber Issa
Savannah Petroleum plc
Tritax Big Box REIT PLC
- Advised a global private equity firm on its take private of JSE and SEM-listed Atlantic Leaf Properties Limited implemented by members’ scheme of arrangement in Jersey.
- Advised global pharmaceutical company ADVANZ PHARMA Corp. on its sale to Nordic Capital for an equity value of $846m to be implemented by members’ scheme of arrangement in Jersey.
- Advised Mohsin Issa, Zuber Issa and TDR Capital LLP on their successful £6.8bn bid to acquire the Asda Group from Walmart.
Bedell Cristin’s corporate and commercial practice acts on a range of innovative matters, including Guy Westmacott’s work on fundraising endeavours in the medicinal cannabis sector; Sara Johns’ structuring of cash-box deals in the energy and mining sectors; and Martin Paul’s advice on corporate restructuring for newly acquired clients in the litigation funding sector. Practice head Tim Pearce takes the lead on downstream private equity mandates. The team handles UK real estate M&A for a high volume of Middle East-based clients.
Other key lawyers:
Guy Westmacott; Sarah Johns; Martin Paul
‘Very solid, hardworking team that can stand up to any of the other leading firms in the Jersey market .’
‘Martin Paul is probably the most pragmatic adviser for corporate and funds matters I have come about. Not tied to the usual document churning routine he understands commercial and corporate dilemmas of his clients and manages calmly to provide very considerate, risk-balanced commercial solutions. Also: he actually does urgent core work himself as opposed to delegating everything downwards. I think he is a great dependable asset for any client or board in difficult legal and commercial situations.’
‘We found the team took a multi-faceted approach to each our issues, in many cases coming up with valuable proposals that we never knew were options. Key words I would use the describe the business and team include; experienced, in-depth knowledge, ingenuity, and an ability to paint a detailed picture of each alternative no matter how complex the issue.’
‘Martin Paul is technical, perceptive, and strikes with surgical accuracy.’
‘Responsive and good strength in depth.’
‘Guy Westmacott is commercial and helpful and balances his legal expertise with a practical approach to solving problems.’
‘Hands-on team; very willing and able to assist with often unpredictable and demanding turnaround times requested by clients; very personable and easy to work with; great communication; commercial and practical approach to problem solving.’
Atlantic Leaf Properties
Highland Gold Mining Limited
Legal & General Pensions Limited
Savills Investment Management
- Advised Inflexion on its acquisition of Estera, a leading global provider of funds, corporate and trust services, from Bridgepoint.
- Advised shareholders including Leonard Green & Partners on the combination of the CPA Global group, a leader in IP software and tech-enabled services with more than 12,000 customers, with Clarivate in a deal with an estimated value of $6.8bn.
- Advised Atlantic Leaf Properties on its £152m acquisition by South Downs Investment LP, a wholly-owned subsidiary of investment funds managed by Apollo Global Management, by means of a Jersey scheme of arrangement.
Maples Group’s 'very responsive and technically proficient' corporate practice maintains a strong footing in the private equity sector. The 'personable and innovative' Paul Burton, with support from of counsel Anna Cochrane, handle top-flight mandates in innovative fields; including recent M&A transactions in the clean energy, renewables and infrastructure sectors. New recruit Tim Morgan from Mourant provides advice on matters of economic substance, tax and restructuring to domestic and international corporate clients. Another team strength is SPAC structuring.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Cochrane; Tim Morgan
‘The team at Maples is highly experienced and approachable.’
‘They replicate the standard we’ve come to expect from Maples across its international network of offices. Strong technical expertise combined with a commercial understanding.’
‘Paul Burton – we’ve worked with him for many years. He can provide detailed technical analysis within tight timeframes and overlay that with an understanding of the commercial drivers behind the deal. He’s personable and innovative.’
‘Very responsive and technically proficient team.’
‘Anna Cochrane in particular stands out for me – she is always calm, measured and correct and a pleasure to deal with. She instills confidence in the client and makes those around her look good.’
‘A talented, experienced team of lawyers specialising in banking and corporate and commercial law.’
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. Inc
Bain Capital Partners
Global Infrastructure Partners
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
Brookfield Asset Management
Apache Capital Partners
Premier Oil plc
Refinitiv US LLC, Thomson Reuters
Citigroup Global Markets Inc.
Sun Capital Partners Inc.
Ottawa Avenue Private Capital
Marlin Management Company LLC
HPS Investment Partners LLC
Fleetcor Technologies, Inc
- Advised the Global Infrastructure Partners consortium on all Jersey aspects of its $20.7bn acquisition of a 49% stake in Abu Dhabi National Oil Company lease rights to 38 gas pipelines.
- Acted as Jersey (and Cayman) law transaction counsel on the Thomson Reuters and Blackstone consortium’s takeover of analytics and data company Refinitiv, by London Stock Exchange Group as part of the $27bn all-share acquisition.
- Acted for KKR on a $4.3bn acquisition of majority stake in Coty’s professional and retail cosmetics and hair care business – including the Wella, Clairol, OPI and ghd brands.
Walkers’ corporate group has recently experienced a period of exceptional growth which has seen the addition of numerous private equity and venture capital experts, including Dilmun Leach from Collas Crill and senior associate Olivia Palloch from Mourant on the investment funds side. Impressive recent mandates have included advising on the large-scale and highly complex corporate restructuring of the Travelex Group, led by practice head Jonathan Heaney , working alongside senior counsel Guy Morris and senior associate Tom Fothergill. Fothergill also applies his regulatory expertise (having previously worked at the States of Jersey) to issues of economic substance and the AIFMD framework. Real estate is a strong point for Christopher Reed, who leads on acquisitions of prime UK-based properties; while funds specialist Leanne Wallser also handles a range of corporate matters.
Other key lawyers:
Dilmun Leach; Guy Morris; Christopher Reed; Tom Fothergill; Leanne Wallser
‘Walkers offers a first-rate corporate practice, with capacity to support across a number of jurisdictions.’
‘Jonathan Heaney leads a very good team, but always leads from the front, makes himself available and is across each matter or transaction for which he assumes responsibility.’
‘Commercial and timely advice, and a good sense of ownership and client focus.’
‘A knowledgeable firm made up of friendly and interesting partners, the firm has pulled together a team made up of the best from the larger firms and as such they stand up very well against the largest firms in the Jersey.’
‘They seem to be on the same wavelength as the clients. They are human and a joy to work with. Some of their competitors are incredibly knowledgeable however they lack the ability to speak to clients. The partners at Walkers are well-rounded people with great knowledge and the ability to pitch their communications at the right level.’
Affinity Trust Limited
Postbridge Capital LLP
Trinova Real Estate & Marood Investment Company
Alinda Capital Partners LLC
Apache Capital Partners
- Advised on the multimillion-pound restructuring of Travelex, the world’s largest foreign exchange bureau.
- Advised Jersey-based Affinity Private Wealth Limited on its acquisition of Pinnacle Trustees Limited, an acquisition which significantly enhanced Affinity’s presence and service capabilities in the Jersey trust administration services market.
- Advising the founders of Postbridge Capital LLP on: the establishment of a multijurisdictional real estate management group (multiple Jersey entities and holding structures); its joint venture with Arrow Capital Group (establishing Eagle Street Partners) – debt and equity structuring, joint venture agreement and bespoke constitutional documentation; and the establishment of an acquisition and financing structure on behalf of Eagle Street Partners for the purposes of the acquisition of the first real estate asset for the joint venture.
Collas Crill's corporate, finance and funds vertical maintains a strong reputation in the transport sector, displayed by Matthew Gilley’s handling of critical corporate restructuring exercises and share acquisitions for airline client Blue Islands. Gilley also leads on high-value trust company acquisitions while practice head Mike Williams’ practice cuts across the corporate, capital markets and financial lending disciplines.
Other key lawyers:
‘Mike Williams is incredibly hands-on and responsive during a transaction. He gets the job done on time and within budget.’
‘Mike Williams is highly experienced, very concise and clear yet very approachable and easy to deal with. His advice is always definitive and identifies issues and finds pragmatic solutions.’
‘Accessible, knowledgeable, quick, pragmatic, experience.’
‘What attracts me to Mike Williams is that he is not only advising on both the BVI and Jersey but he actually lived and practised in both countries.’
‘Practical advice displaying understanding of a company management’s concerns and issues. Understanding of the London Stock Exchange listing requirements’
‘Accessible, knowledgeable, practical, realistic and timely.’
Highvern (formerly Coutts trust company)
ISP Securities AG
- Advising on the acquisition by JTC Group of RBC cees which administers benefit plans with circa £11 billion of assets under management.
- Advised the Channel Islands Property Fund on the financing, property and corporate aspects of the share acquisition of a company owning commercial offices.
- Advised Blue Islands Limited on (i) moving its base of operations into Jersey; (ii) corporate restructuring of the airline’s ownership; and (iii) a £10m loan facility from the States of Jersey in order to provide the airline with working capital in light of pressures placed upon the airline (and aviation industry in general) as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Edward Scott and Co
Real estate M&A is a central focus at newly established boutique Edward Scott and Co. Founding partner Edward Scott and counsel Kirsten Faichnie (who joined from Mourant) handle UK-based acquisitions and associated financing elements. The team acts on high-value JPUT transactions concerning data centres and prime London commercial real estate. Additionally, institutional investors engage the firm on group reorganisations.
Other key lawyers:
‘This firm is genuinely partner-led with a responsive and personal service.’
‘Edward Scott & Co is a boutique law practice with only two advocates, which gives a more personal service than a larger firm. They have been consistently easy to deal with, and responsive when working on transactions with them.’
‘I have primarily worked with Edward Scott, who has been quick to respond to queries, and provides a good service at a reasonable fee level.’
Crown Street Limited
- Advised Landsec on its £87m acquisition of 55 Old Broad Street, London EC2 via the purchase of units in a JPUT.
- Acting for CloudHQ on its project to build two large data centres adjacent to Didcot Power Station.
- Acting for a JV vehicle, owned by Middle East investors, on its project to buy and develop a West London office property.
Viberts’ corporate law group is retained by domestic trading companies for M&A and other non-transactional engagements. Practice head Paul Wilson and Christopher Scholefield — supported by a team of associates including Eleanor Colley and Oliver Hughes — perform share acquisitions, company sales and joint ventures. The team provides guidance on corporate governance and regulatory issues to a diverse set of clients including medicinal cannabis startups and fintech companies.
Other key lawyers:
Christopher Scholefield; Eleanor Colley; Oliver Hughes
‘A local firm which understands the marketplace.’
‘Eleanor Colley is personable and knowledgeable; very approachable and proactive.’
‘I have been a client of Viberts for the last three years. They have acted for me in both a personal and commercial capacity. I have always found the partners and staff to be very helpful, able to demonstrate a clear understanding of the issues involved. The flow and speed of information has assisted me greatly with some often complex commercial matters.’
‘Paul Wilson, assisted by Eleanor Colley, acted for me in a recent business sale. They were able to guide me through some of the more challenging issues. Their experience and professionalism enabled a swift resolution to bring matters to completion.’
CNR Constructeur SAS
Baccata Trustees Limited
IQ EQ (Jersey) Limited
Forward Group Limited
Tobacco Dock Limited
BCI Asset Finance Limited
Dunningham Investments Limited
Fox Managed Services (CI) Limited
Level 4 Developments Limited
J.J. Fox International Limited
Rossborough Financial Services Limited
Lloyds Bank Corporate Markets plc previously Lloyds Bank International
Longulf Trading (UK) Limited
Oak Services Limited
Oak Trustees (Jersey) Limited
Oak Group (Jersey) Limited
Financial Consultants (Jersey) Limited
Cynergy Bank Limited
Regal Construction (Jersey) Limited
Ready Plant (2019) Limited
ROK Construction Limited
Jersey Oyster Company
HLG Holdings (Jersey) Limited
GlenQ Trustees Limited
ROK FCC JV
365 Intellectual Property Limited
Whitmill Group Holdings Limited
Tiller Technologies Limited
ProTime Investments Limited
PC Boat Sales Limited
- Advised the principal director and sole shareholder of a Jersey courier company in relation to the proposed sale of the entire issued share capital of the company to an off-island provider of postal and courier services.
- Advised Rok Group Holdings Limited as junior partner and FCC Construccion S.A. as senior partner on their joint venture arrangement to build, design and develop Jersey’s £800m new hospital project.
- Assisted a client with securing a High-THC cannabis cultivation licence, including providing detailed regulatory advice in relation to the process and the laws regarding the importing and exporting of the product, and establishing an appropriate corporate structure.
BCR Law’s business law team advises on corporate structure migrations, in and out of the BVI, encompassing licensing, data protection, employment and other contractual arrangements. Practice head Wendy Lambert assists with company windups and share acquisitions for domestic companies.
- Advising the Channel Islands Co-Operative Society Limited on the corporate elements to permit the client to dispose of its medical business to certain GPs employed by the client.
- Assisted Jersey Business Limited with establishing and running a hotline service for local businesses to obtain legal advice surrounding the impact of Covid-19 on their businesses.
- Advised the Jersey Heritage Trust on obtaining registered charitable status under the Charities (Jersey) Law 2014.
Family offices, public companies and financial services providers make up the client roster of Lexstone Lawyers’s 'very responsive, personal and business-minded' corporate and commercial team. Practice head Lucy Egerton-Vernon, Marcus Stone and Norman Day provide assistance with company migrations, corporate restructurings and UK property transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Marcus Stone; Norman Day
‘Very responsive, personal and business-minded.’
‘Lucy Egerton-Vernon is proactive, expert, deeply efficient.’
Royal Road Minerals Limited
SFH Jersey Limited (Soditic)
Garfield Bennett Trust Company Limited
Hawk Family Office
Royal Bank of Canada
- Advising a family office on a complex cross-border restructuring project in respect of the group’s subsidiaries.
- Acting as legal counsel to a Jersey public company on various corporate matters.
- Handling a corporate restructuring including the migration of a Jersey group company to Bermuda.
Parslows’ corporate and commercial practice is headed up by Carl Parslow and David Hill; the team has recently advised Jersey Post on business acquisitions in the e-commerce sector. Other regular work for the team includes company disposals, IT distribution agreements and terms and conditions drafting for e-retail platforms.
Carl Parslow; David Hill
‘In the context of advising on a complex joint venture framework agreement, a very practical and pragmatic approach was taken, with many potential pitfalls identified.’
‘We worked with David Hill and his expertise in commercial contracts was a major benefit. He was also cost sensitive and kept us advised of our run rate.’
SunWorks (CI) Ltd
- Advised SunWorks on its framework agreement with Jersey Electricity for the supply of solar photovoltaic (PV) equipment for the development and implementation of commercial scale solar PV installations in Jersey.
- Advised Jersey Post Limited on its acquisition of the local marketplace website Fetch.je.