Commercial, corporate and M&A in Italy
BonelliErede's multidisciplinary, international practice is particularly respected for its structuring and execution of complex, high-stakes domestic and cross-border deals. In 2019, the firm integrated itself with Lombardi e Associati, bringing in several partners, including corporate law expert Stefano Nanni Costa. Umberto Nicodano is a corporate governance and M&A specialist; Roberto Cera focuses on infrastructure, telecoms and real estate deals; Stefano Cacchi Pessani's practice includes takeovers in the banking, financial services and luxury goods sectors; and Carlo Montagna handles extraordinary transactions for listed and non-listed companies. Elena Busson focuses on private equity and energy and infrastructure matters, and Enrico Vaccaro is experienced in extraordinary transactions, acquisitions, joint ventures and contracts. Managing associate Livia Cocca is an energy, infrastructure and healthcare specialist.
‘The team that came from Studio Lombardi is very close-knit and dynamic, with an excellent ability to serve clients in a timely and efficient manner.‘
‘The team is in the top spot for the legal and financial aspects of M&A. It is friendly and available and knows clients’ business very well. It is open to discuss and to contribute with creative ideas.‘
‘It is smart, committed, hardworking and always delivers.‘
‘The practice has unique knowledge of clients’ business, high levels of quality, availability and 360° vision. The individuals give value both at professional and personal levels.‘
‘Stefano Cacchi Pessani and Enrico Vaccaro are great lawyers. They understand clients’ business and expectations very well, they work hard and always provide the best advice.‘
‘Stefano Nanni Costa is one of the best lawyers around and very good during negotiations.‘
First State Investments
Compagnie Financière Richemont
- Advised Benvic Europe, which manufactures and markets PVC compounds, on the acquisition of Italy-based Modenplast Medical.
- Assisted Ascopiave with a large energy partnership with the Hera Group.
- Advised Salini Impregilo on structuring and defining an investment in Astaldi.
Chiomenti is widely respected for its advice on bo ordinary and extraordinary Italian transactions. The practice has significant fashion market experience; other sectors in which it is currently active are pharmaceutical, infrastructure, banking and private equity. Massimiliano Nitti is a private and public M&A expert, and Carlo Croff, Francesco Tedeschini, Antonio Sascaro and Andrea Sacco Ginevri all advise on corporate and M&A transactions. Also noted is international contracts expert Franco Agopyan, while Simone Bernard De La Gatinais is 'constantly focused on understanding clients' business needs'. At senior associate level, Edoardo Canetta Rossi Palermo advises on deals in the media, technology, fashion and construction sectors, and Corrado Borghesan is regularly involved in significant M&A deals.
ABA Chemicals Corporation
Accor Hospitality Italia
Air Products and Chemicals
Aksìa Group SGR
Arle Capital Partners
AVIS Budget Italia
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Banca Sella Holding
BNP Paribas Securities Services
Carestream Dental Italy
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
CBRE Global Investors Italy
Celanese Europe BV
Charterhouse Capital Partners
Combustibili Nuova Prenestina
Compagnia Italiana Energia
Compagnia Sviluppi Industriali ed Immobiliari
De Rigo Vision
EF Solare Italia
Efort Intelligent Equipment Co
EPS Equita PEP SPAC
Eternal Materials Co
Eurial Holding SAS
Eurizon Capital SGR
Eurocommercial Properties Italia
F2i – Fondi Italiani Per Le Infrastrutture
Fininvest Finanziaria d’investimento
FRI-EL Green Power
GL Europe Luxembourg
Goldentree Asset Management
GreenOak Real Estate Advisors
Infore Environment Technology Group Stock
Iniziativa Gestione Investimenti SGR
Italian International Film
Jinko Solar Import and Export Co
Julius Baer Group
L. Catterton PE Fund
La Finanziaria Trentina
LSF LX Investments
Macquaire European Infrastructure Fund 4
Marco Tronchetti Provera & C
Mayhoola For Investments
Metalmark Capital Holdings
Millennium & Copthorne Hotels
Morgan Stanley SGR
N&W Global Vending
Nordic Solar Energy
Northwood International Acquisition
One Equity Partners
Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board Pension Fund
Opcapita Consumer Opportunities Fund II
Opengate Capital Fund
Policlinico Universitario Agostino Gemelli
RB British Marine UK
Reti Telematiche Italiane
Reti Televisive Italiane
River Associates Investments
Savills Investment Management SGR
Sella Open Fintech Platform
Societé Cooperative Agricole Agrial
Treetop Zobele Bidco
Virtual Equity Partners
Water Gen Power
- Advised QuattroR SGR on the acquisition of a majority stake in the Trussardi Group, through the creation of a Newco.
- Acted for Gruppo Gavio on the sale of a 40% stake in Nuova Argo Finanziaria to Ardian.
- Advised Allegra Versace on the sale of her entire shareholding in Gianni Versace to Michael Kors Holdings.
Gianni, Origoni, Grippo, Cappelli & Partners is consistently involved in the market's largest, most complex deals. The firm also has a dedicated corporate governance practice. Francesco Gianni advises some of the largest companies and investment banks in Europe; Roberto Cappelli regularly works on large deals; Andrea Aiello is experienced in joint venture, shareholder and commercial agreements; and Emanuele Grippo is an insurance law expert. Also recommended are commercial and corporate law specialist Alfredo D’Aniello, Francesco Selogna, who is an LBO, private equity and corporate law expert, and Valentina Dragoni , who advises on transactions involving private equity funds and other corporate clients. Gerardo Carbonelli specialises in M&A and cross-border transactions, and Luca Giannini is an extraordinary corporate transactions specialist. Counsel Chiara Gianni and associate Mattia Casarosa are also experienced corporate and commercial advisers.
‘This is the best law firm of business lawyers in Italy and is characterised by professionals with very high technical and negotiating skills. It also combines the best structure and organisation of a large firm with the attention and care of individual lawyers.‘
‘A highly skilled and cutting-edge team is always available and strongly supportive, both in negotiations and in solving practical problems. It is deeply focused on the crux of a matter, allowing clients to achieve the targets set efficiently.‘
‘The firm has great organisational and delivery capacity.’
‘It is a leading firm with some outstanding professionals.‘
‘Name partner Franco Gianni is an absolute guarantee in all circumstances.‘
‘Emanuele Grippo has acknowledged leadership skills that can be specifically observed during meetings with M&A counterparts.‘
‘Francesco Selogna is a very senior adviser who has strong technical expertise in M&A and corporate matters, combined with an excellent collaborative spirit and negotiation skills. He also has the marked ability to propose practical and successful solutions.‘
‘Andrea Aiello inspires great respect and trust; he has very strong technical and negotiation skills in M&A matters, both for public and private companies. Added to this is his great deal of dedication and total availability. He is always responsive and ready to support clients on every occasion.‘
‘Alfredo D’Aniello is one of the best lawyers around. He is always proactive and business oriented – a professional that clients want to have on their side.‘
Commissioners of Alitalia in extraordinary administration
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Ferrovie dello Stato
The Kraft Heinz Co
- Advsied Blackstone Group on the sale, alongside the Versace Family, of Gianni Versace to Michael Kors for an enterprise value of €1.83bn.
- Acted for ArcelorMittal on its acquisition of Ilva, an Italian steel company.
- Advised Atlantia on its joint investment (together with ACS and Hochtief) in Abertis Infraestructuras.
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton's Italian corporate practice consistently handles large, first‑of-their-kind transactions. It has a particularly strong track record in public M&A, as well as in M&A in regulated sectors including gas, telecoms, media and financial institutions. In addition, the practice is highly rated for complex distressed M&A. Matteo Montanaro has substantial experience of cross-border and domestic M&A and divestitures, joint venture deals, and corporate reorganisations; and Giuseppe Scassellati-Sforzolini and Roberto Bonsignore are public and private M&A experts. Senior attorney Gerolamo da Passano is noted for M&A, and private equity and corporate joint venture deals.
‘CGSH’s Italian corporate practice is unparalleled among international and national firms’. The team, from junior to senior level, is always very responsive, knowledgeable and professional. What impresses clients most is that the firm makes them always feel like a part of their team and that the team is capable of being rational and clear thinking, even in stressful and unpredictable situations. CGSH is a trusted adviser that always seems to know what is around the corner and what is coming next.‘
‘Senior attorney Gerolamo da Passano is particularly strong when advising on cross-border and domestic public and private M&A, including private equity and similar transactions. Gerolamo is key in all strategic discussions, also with regard to risk management, and in defining key contractual and corporate documentation. He is always available and responsive and has considerable negotiation skills.‘
Ferrovie dello Stato
- Acted for Essilor on its strategic combination with Luxottica, which included the acquisition of a majority stake in Luxottica.
- Advised ABB on the sale of its solar inverter business to Italian company, Fimer.
- Assisted F2i with its acquisition of Porto di Carrara, an Italian port terminal operator, from Vittorio Bogazzi & Figli.
Clifford Chance is particularly experienced in cross-border M&A and private equity deals. The practice also fields experts in real estate transactions as well as antitrust experts. Paolo Sersale's experience ranges from public and private M&A to corporate restructurings and private equity; and Claudio Cerabolini specialises in private equity, real estate, and M&A. Italian energy and infrastructure group head, Umberto Penco Salvi, recently advised Edison on the sale of its Exploration and Production division to Energean Oil & Gas. Counsel Filippo Isacco specialises in domestic and cross-border M&A and corporate reorganisations.
Gattai Minoli Agostinelli & Partners consistently advises on some of the largest domestic and cross-border deals involving Italy. The practice is also highly rated for mid-market deals. Bruno Gattai is regularly involved in Italy’s most significant and complex private equity transactions; Luca Minoli advises clients that are mostly active in the industrial and trading sectors; Gerardo Gabrielli acts for private equity funds across the whole spectrum of deal size; and Sebastiano Cassani is particularly noted for deals involving the food, energy and shipping sectors. Federico Bal is a corporate and private equity specialist.
‘It is great for technical preparation, experience and creativity.‘
‘Sebastiano Cassani is technically very prepared, always available and produces on-time delivery with a non-arrogant approach.‘
CVC Capital Partners
Intermediate Capital Group
21 Investimenti SGR
- Assisted Iren, an Italian multi-utility, and ASA (Azienda Servizi Ambientali), with the sale of their 49% stake in Olt (Offshore Lng Toscana) to First State Investments.
- Acted for Intermediate Capital Group on its approximately €1bn acquisition from CVC Capital Partners of DOC Generici.
- Advised CVC Capital Partners on the corporate aspects of the acquisition of Recordati’s approximately 52% stake from Recordati family members.
Gatti Pavesi Bianchi is frequently instructed on high-profile mergers, demergers, acquisitions and disposals of businesses and interests, restructurings, joint ventures, corporate governance and corporate capital transactions. It also stands out for its management of special situation matters. Carlo Pavesi is a civil and commercial law specialist; Francesco Gatti focuses on corporate finance transactions; and Luigi Arturo Bianchi is noted for issues requiring a sophisticated approach to corporate law and the financial markets. Other key names include Stefano Valerio, who has longstanding experience in corporate law transactions, and Alessandra Ghezzi, who is an expert in commercial and shareholder agreements.
‘The firm stands out for the added value it brings to deals, its absolute excellence, and measured advice for each individual client. Its knowledge and experience are so solid that it can respond to every complex and delicate problem. The firm’s partners are totally reliable and the wealth of knowledge of the individual professionals is exceptional.‘
‘Gatti Pavesi Bianchi has a longstanding commitment to corporate and M&A matters, which is largely based on the belief that such work is part of the basic role of business lawyers.‘
‘It is cohesive, prepared, flexible and dedicated to clients’ needs.‘
‘Francesco Gatti has a deep understanding of clients’ business operations and needs, as well as the necessities of the surrounding business environment.‘
‘Luigi Arturo Bianchi’s distinctive qualities include his professional ethics, based on the pursuit of clients’ best interests, and the combination of academic and professional excellence with honesty, solid advice and innovation.‘
‘Stefano Valerio stands out for his excellent business vision, thinking out of the box and, of course, technical skills.‘
Yoox Net-A-Porter Group
- Advised Alpitour on the acquisition of Sementa, the owner of the Mazzarò and Atlantis Bay hotels in Taormina.
- Assisted New Guards Group, a platform for luxury brands’ design, production and distribution, with the sale of its share capital to Farfetch group.
- Advised Banco BPM on the sale of ProFamily to Agos Ducato.
Latham & Watkins LLP is well known for its cross-border capabilities and the practice is regularly involved in headline transactions. Stefano Sciolla's strengths lie mainly in M&A, private equity, joint ventures and cross-border deals, while Giovanni Sandicchi has contributed greatly to strengthening the group's M&A and private equity capabilities. Cataldo Piccarreta advises private equity sponsors and companies on complex domestic and cross-border transactions. Promoted to partner in 2018, Giancarlo D’Ambrosio's sector experience includes sports and entertainment, fashion and media. Former partner Maria Cristina Storchi joined White & Case LLP Italy.
‘It has an international mindset with the right mix of aggressiveness and empathy. The associates are also up to the job.‘
‘Giovanni Sandicchi and his team have great availability and competence levels.‘
The Carlyle Group
F C Internazionale
Global Infrastructure Partners
Morgan & Stanley
CVC Capital Partners
- Advised Farfetch, a global technology platform for the luxury fashion industry, (and its subsidiary Farfetch Italia) on the acquisition of New Guards Group, a luxury brands platform.
- Acted for Sisal Group (CVC portfolio company) on an agreement with Banca 5 (Intesa Sanpaolo subsidiary) to create a new company offering banking products, as well as payment and transaction-oriented services.
- Advised The Carlyle Group on the €1bn acquisition of Forgital, a manufacturing company that produces forged and machined components for use in the aerospace and industrial industries.
Legance - Avvocati Associati is regularly involved in significant national and cross-border transactions for public and private investors and investment funds. The team excels in identifying suitable corporate and tax structures, and also assists with antitrust obligations. In addition, it fields specialists in banking, insurance, real estate, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing, energy infrastructure and transport. Filippo Troisi is frequently involved in important transactions; Bruno Bartocci acts for private equity funds; Alberto Giampieri focuses on mergers, spin offs, acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures; and Giovanni Nardulli stands out for international deals. Recently promoted partner, Federica Pomero advises on commercial and company agreements, and counsel Simona Bianca specialises in M&A, corporate and commercial law.
Filippo Troisi; Bruno Bartocci; Alberto Giampieri; Giovanni Nardulli; Gian Paolo Tagariello; Andrea Fedi; Gabriele Capecchi; Cecilia Carrara; Piero Venturini; Marco Gubitosi; Marco Penna; Federica Pomero; Giorgio Vanzanelli
‘The team has deep knowledge, accuracy, responsiveness and timeliness, as well as an ability to understand the client’s approach.‘
‘It has unparalleled knowledge of the insurance industry and the impact of related technicalities on transfer agreements.‘
‘Clients appreciate the attention the practice pays to their needs and the professionalism of the partners and team.‘
‘A competent, fast, flexible and always-available team that provides high-quality work.‘
‘Filippo Troisi is the smartest lawyer around.‘
‘Alberto Giampieri is an outstanding lawyer, who is very effective, prompt, effective and creative.‘
Apollo Global Management
Cabot Square Capital
Change Capital Partners
Charme Capital Partners
Deutsche Asset Management
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles
Fortresss Investment Group
Intel Corporation Italia
Mandarin Capital Partners
Green Arrow Capital SGR
- Advised Carnival Corporation & PLC (and its subsidiary Costa Crociere) on setting up a joint venture with China State Shipbuilding Corporation.
- Assisted F2i and Mediaset with the squeeze-out procedure surrounding outstanding shares of EI Towers, following the total public tender offer launched by 2i Towers vehicle.
- Advised Fiat Chrysler Automobiles on the sale of Magneti Marelli to Japanese group, CK Holdings.
Assisting both mid-cap and large clients, Pedersoli Studio Legale was recently active in deals involving banking sector consolidation; pharmaceutical, life sciences and telecoms companies' investments; energy, industrial, food, technology and luxury goods-related transactions; and family businesses and wealth management. Antonio Pedersoli has grown the firm’s China practice by developing relationships with Chinese state-owned financial institutions and corporations; Carlo Pedersoli and Turin-based Carlo Re and Andrea Gandini are noted for complex transactions; Alessandro Marena is a mid-cap market specialist; Ascanio Cibrario's practice includes aerospace and defence matters; and Luca Saraceni acts for private equity funds and industrial and financial groups. Corporate partner Giovanni Pedersoli rejoined the firm, bringing M&A partner Marta Sassella with him, from Linklaters.
‘The team is perfectly composed, with respect to expertise and professional skills. It also has qualified experience in M&A operations involving listed companies and the telecoms sector. Compared to other firms, the Pedersoli team is efficient and directly involved in all stages of clients’ activities.‘
‘Thanks to a 60 year-plus history, Pedersoli is able to deliver excellence in every aspect of its unique legal advice. In particular, with regard to financial institutions, it offers 360° help in organising and finalising the most relevant aspects of deals. Moreover, its deep knowledge of the Italian corporate environment means it is a firm of choice for foreign investors interested in the Italian market.‘
‘Andrea Gandini has great M&A experience.‘
‘Carlo Pedersoli is the heart of the practice and someone clients want in their team during difficult times.‘
‘Antonio Pedersoli represents the international arm. He is sophisticated and his approach includes a good sense of humour.‘
- Advised Long Term Partners, which is active in the management consultancy sector, on a company aggregation transaction with OC&C Strategy Consultants.
- Acted for the shareholders of Cotril, an Italian beauty sector company, on the sale of a minority stake in the company to MIR Capital, a private equity fund.
- Assisted the shareholders of Fimei with the sale of their entire shareholding to a consortium of investment funds that were controlled by CVC Capital Partners.
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato is highly regarded for complex domestic and multi-jurisdictional transactions. The team was recently involved in buy-side and sell-side mandates across different sectors, private equity investments and corporate advisory matters. Giovanni Gazzaniga has considerable experience in the M&A sector, and Paolo Ghiglione's expertise spans the retail, manufacturing, TMT, private equity, financial services, energy and infrastructure sectors. Recently promoted partner Paolo Nastasi advises on complex M&A and senior associate Antonio Ferri is an experienced corporate lawyer.
‘If A&O does not know something, then that something simply does not exist. It is a one-stop-shop – when clients need something executed to perfection, this is the firm to go to.‘
‘This is a good solid team that is professional and responsive and meets deadlines. It does a good job and works very well with overseas lawyers on deals.‘
‘Excellent expertise and professionalism in various branches of law, with 360° assistance for cross-border operations.‘
‘The team provides availability, quick responses and pragmatism.‘
‘It is a real pleasure to work with both Giovanni Gazzaniga and senior associate Antonio Ferri.‘
Associated British Foods
The European Investment Fund
The Riverside Company
The Space Cinema
- Advised MIR Capital on the acquisition of a stake in the share capital of Cotril, an Italian hair beauty company.
- Acted for The Riverside Company, a global private equity firm, on its acquisition of La Galvanina, an Italian producer of mineral water and soft drinks .
- Advised Malacalza Investimenti (Malacalza), the majority shareholder of Banca Carige (Carige), on the corporate law and regulatory aspects surrounding Carige’s rescue.
Dentons' Italy practice advises on cross-border M&A, corporate reorganisations and private equity, and is an integral part of the firm's global corporate practice, which comprises over 2,000 M&A lawyers. In 2019, it launched a German desk following the arrival of German-speaking Carsten Steinhauer, who has considerable experience in cross-border M&A and joint ventures, from McDermott Will & Emery Studio Legale Associato. Alessandro Dubini acts for industry groups, financial institutions and private equity funds; Luca Pocobelli advises on strategic M&A transactions; Pier Francesco Faggiano focuses on healthcare and food and beverage deals; and Barbara Urselli's sector experience includes transportation, media, software and financial services.
‘Dentons is an impressive organisation that has wide coverage and this is useful when clients need assistance on matters in countries where they do not have relationships with other firms or want to involve different lawyers or need specific expertise. It is also attentive to innovation in providing legal services and in the administrative support it provides when responding to clients’ requests.‘
‘They are sensible and responsive with respect to clients’ needs for transparency in billings and overall their rates are reasonable and below those of other international law firms, given the high quality of the service.‘
‘What is very good at Dentons is the wide range of their services that allows a full service in every sector.‘
‘Alessandro Dubini is a highly respected professional.‘
‘Barbara Urselli is a highly trusted adviser, the quality of her work is unquestionable, and she is a guarantee of the competence of the team. She is an excellent lawyer who is pragmatic, and proposes solutions that are commercially and legally practicable for clients, instead of staying tied to theories or to market-standard templates. She is also empathetic, which makes it easy to establish a relationship, and she has a great ability to work under pressure quietly. Finally, she is always available, responsive and ready to help in last-minute emergency situations without delegating to other team members.‘
GfK Custom Research Business
Johnson & Johnson Medical
Aeroporto Friuli-Venezia Giulia
Fondo Agroalimentare Italiano I
Gemini Office Services UK
- Acted for L&S Group, a global indoor lighting company, on the sale of an 80% stake to Italian private equity fund, Clessidra SGR.
- Advised Johnson & Johnson Medical on the sale of Advanced Sterilization Products to Fortive.
- Assisted KKR with the agreement by its holding company, CK Holdings Co, to acquire Magneti Marelli, the automotive components business of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
DLA Piper's corporate practice is mostly sustained by a diversified portfolio of domestic and international clients that are generated in Italy, rather than the firm's network. The team is particularly renowned for energy, manufacturing, insurance and life science deals; its M&A clients also benefit from highly regarded specialists in regulatory, tax, real estate and employment law. Goffredo Guerra advises on major corporate and M&A and private equity mandates; Wolf Michael Kühne is highly rated for German and Italian legal issues; Giulio Maroncelli focuses on energy M&A deals; and Danilo Surdi's practice includes insolvency and bankruptcy-related company acquisitions.
‘The team has longstanding knowledge of transactions and remarkable competence; its integration with the firm’s administrative and project finance teams make the team stand out.‘
‘It has the remarkable ability to summarise and take a factual approach. The team also delivers excellent project management.‘
‘Its time availability and deep knowledge make the practice unique. Some other firms can be contacted during office hours only, which is a problem when travelling to countries that are far away.‘
‘The integrity and professionalism of the team are more than sufficient.‘
‘Danilo Surdi understands clients’ needs and has great market knowledge.‘
Pfizer Group (Italy)
The Valspar Corporation
- Assisted ERG with its approximately €102m acquisition from Perseo of two photovoltaic power plants.
- Advised Swiss Re Europe on the competitive process surrounding the transfer of an insurance run-off portfolio.
- Advised Biondi Santi family on a strategic partnership agreement with EPI, an independent French family group that is owned by the Descours family.
Hogan Lovells International LLP's M&A practitioners are highly engaged in the firm's global industry sector groups, including energy, diversified industrials, financial institutions, life sciences, fashion and luxury, food and beverage, automotive and TMT. Leah Dunlop is a key name for cross-border M&A, and Luca Picone's experience ranges from pure transactional work to counselling board members and shareholders on complex corporate issues. Francesco Stella focuses on regulated assets, including financial institutions, life science companies and energy businesses.
‘The fully available and committed team is highly skilled, able to grasp quickly the key points of business and M&A projects, and takes a global view, while taking utmost care of important things. It is also able and willing to save time, avoiding unnecessary details and issues.‘
JAB Holding Company
Kuwait Petroleum International
- Advised Dana Belgium on its acquisition of Italian hi-tech automotive group, SME.
- Acted for Flixbus, a German mobility provider, on its combination with Roma Marche Linee, Baltour and La Valle LVL Interlines.
- Advised Dana Incorporated on its cross-border acquisition of Oerlikon’s Drive Systems business segment.
Linklaters focuses on complex and high-value domestic and multi-jurisdictional deals. Giorgio Fantacchiotti, who heads the Milan private equity practice, specialises in cross-border public and private M&A and private equity transactions. Roberto Casati is highly rated for both M&A and joint venture matters, and Pietro Belloni is a corporate and commercial law expert.
Nctm Studio Legale advises on a large volume of cross-border deals, and is experienced in extraordinary transactions involving manufacturing, retail, private equity and luxury goods. It also advises on deals involving heavily regulated sectors, including, finance, insurance, pharmaceuticals, energy and technology. Simone De Carli advises industrial and private equity clients on extraordinary transactions; Paolo Montironi handles a large number of LBOs for private equity firms; and Alberto Toffoletto is experienced in corporate and commercial law, M&A and private equity. Pietro Zanoni is particularly focused on the food, pharmaceutical, fashion and consumer industries.
‘The NCTM team is composed of professionals who are very well prepared. The practice has a structure that is capable of analysing multi-disciplinary aspects and providing in-depth legal research.‘
‘The team always understands clients’ needs and priorities throughout the deal process and shows great capability and expertise.‘
‘A great team that is able to find simple solutions to complex problems.‘
‘Pietro Zanoni is outstanding. He assists with every phase of a deal and is very accurate, reliable and expert.‘
Intermediate Capital Group
Solar Edge Technologies
- Assisted List, an electronic market and trading company, with its sale to private equity fund TA Associates.
- Advised the management team of Intermediate Capital Group on the acquisition, in partnership with Mérieux Equity Partners, of Doc Generici, a generic pharmaceutical company, from CVC.
- Assisted Vodafone with its joint venture with Telecom Italia, which included advice on telecoms, regulatory, competition, technical and contractual issues.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe has established expertise in several sectors, most notably technology, private equity, banking and financial services, energy, healthcare and life sciences, and distressed transactions. It also calls upon resources across Europe, Asia and the US for cross-border deals. Marco Nicolini is a privatisation expert; Alessandro De Nicola, is a corporate governance specialist; and Guido Testa mixes high-end M&A and private equity deals with corporate law and commercial contract matters. Recently promoted partner Marco Mancino is experienced in assisting hotel management companies with corporate transactions.
‘A team that is highly qualified and supportive in a timely manner – these are the main features that make Orrick unique.‘
‘The Italian team gives clients complete coverage of all matters and the firm represents an outstanding point of reference in this area.‘
‘It provides high levels of attention and constructive co-operation with all parties, improving the efficiency of each project.‘
‘Alessandro De Nicola is truly excellent, smart and business focused. He is an extremely competent lawyer, whose expertise ranges from governance to complex corporate transactions. He has a pragmatic approach and is able quickly to understand clients’ needs.‘
‘Guido Testa follows every phase of negotiations, leaving clients feeling very much followed and reassured – he is also very flexible.‘
‘The team’s strengths are great professionalism, reliability and competence.‘
‘Of counsel Marco Mancino is always available at very short notice and proactive in both preventing and solving potential critical issues. His support is fundamental, also because of his strong, cross-sectors skills.‘
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena
Green Arrow Capital
Pro Web Consulting
- Advised the shareholders of Sinterama, a polyester thread and yarn producer, on the sale of its share capital to Indorama Ventures.
- Assisted ACS Dobfar with the corporate real estate purchase of the historic GlaxoSmithKline pharmaceutical plant in Verona.
- Advised Qingdao Haier, the world’s largest domestic appliance brand, on its €500m acquisition of Candy.
White & Case LLP Italy recently added partner Maria Cristina Storchi, who advises on large M&A and restructuring transactions, from Latham & Watkins LLP. The group provides Italian, New York and English law capabilities on a one-stop-shop basis. The practice is highly rated for public M&A, private equity deals and outbound M&A, and has pharmaceutical and healthcare sector expertise. Corporate finance, M&A and general corporate law specialist Michael Immordino splits his time between Milan and London, Ferigo Foscari is a public M&A deal expert, and Leonardo Graffi is experienced in private equity. Cross-border and domestic transactions expert Alessandro Seganfreddo was recently made partner.
‘It has high levels of professionalism as well as a strong approach to problem-solving.‘
‘It delivers very high quality work and acceptable fee structures, with commercially-minded advice that is business orientated.‘
‘Focused on finding practical solutions to complex solutions, the team is proactive and independent in negotiating the best possible documentation.‘
‘Ferigo Foscari has a unique professionalism, as well as the ability to understand immediately clients’ needs and develop a solution aimed at solving the problem. He directs a team in which he stands out for his professional and human skills.‘
‘Leonardo Graffi is a very competent, problem solver who gets straight to the point. He has excellent business sense and an ability to tune into the other party.‘
‘Alessandro Seganfreddo is competent and available.‘
CVC Capital Partners
First State Investments
InfraVia Capital Partners
Mercedes Benz Italia
Muzinich & Co.
PFH Palladio Holding
Trilantic Capital Partners
- Advised De’Longhi Industrial on its acquisition of a minority stake in La Marzocco International, a manufacturer of professional espresso coffee machines, from its selling shareholders.
- Acted for SIA on its €375m acquisition of First Data’s businesses in central and eastern Europe and southern Europe.
- Advised an investment consortium, led by CVC Capital Partners and including PSP Investments and StepStone, on the acquisition from the Recordati family of the holding company that owns approximately 52% in Italian pharmaceutical group, Recordati.
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie has, in recent years, advised on several acquisitions involving over ten jurisdictions, but where the main target was frequently incorporated in Italy. Clients benefit from related tax planning advice, as well as the application of artificial intelligence tools for due diligence and contracts. The team also has a substantial corporate reorganisation practice. Pietro Bernasconi advises on corporate, M&A and private equity deals, and Raffaele Giarda is a TMT specialist.
‘The Baker & McKenzie team is excellent and provides consistently high- quality, reliable, timely, and knowledgeable advice and related support.‘
‘This is a specialised and dedicated team that is great at solving problems.‘
‘Raffaele Giarda has significant experience and expertise in telecoms, and understands the business, regulatory and political landscape very well. He also advises clients in an ethical and savvy manner.‘
Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
- Advised Pernigotti, the Italian confectionary maker, on the disposal of its Ingredients & Pastries Business Division.
- Acted for GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) on an agreement with Acs Dobfar for the sale of the GSK production site in Verona.
- Assisted Shanghai Moons Electric Co with the acquisition of Technosoft Motion, a motion control technology company, and its subsidiaries in Switzerland and Romania.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Extraordinary transactions have been at the core of Giliberti Triscornia e Associati's activity for over 20 years. The team stands out for its private equity practice, which regularly works alongside Italian and European clients on structuring and organising investment funds, as well as on investment and divestment transactions. Alessandro Triscornia's experience includes the acquisition of shares and going concerns, public tender offers, mergers, demergers and group restructurings.
Molinari e Associati is regularly involved in large and complex corporate transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures of businesses and shareholdings, mergers, transformations, break-ups and reorganisations. The team also assists with corporate governance matters. Ugo Molinari's practice includes M&A involving shareholdings and businesses, as well as real estate transactions. Nicolò Juvara has longstanding experience in the Italian M&A and insurance market.
‘The main strength of Molinari e Associati, compared with other firms on the Italian market, is the ability of the team to combine excellent work quality with extraordinary responsiveness. The constant involvement of the firm’s partners allows clients to receive first-rate legal advice with a solution-oriented approach.‘
‘The lawyers are reliable, produce everything on time and have a large, impressive team. They are very pragmatic in that they tackle problems.
‘Ugo Molinari and Nicolò Juvara work timelessly to get to the bottom of different complex strategic deals and clients feel totally assured by them.‘
York Capital Management Europe (UK) Advisors
Eni gas e luce
Nuova Sorgenia Holding
- Advised Compass Banca, a bank entirely held by Mediobanca – Banca di Credito Finanziario, on an auction procedure for the acquisition of a minority stake in Bfi Finance Indonesia.
- Acted for Fenice Holding on the competitive procedure for the sale of companies of a group, which owns numerous properties and real estate projects.
- Advised Wise SGR and ILP III SCA Sicar on the framework of a transaction involving the reorganisation of the ownership structure of Alpitour.
Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati is specifically focused on highly complex M&A transactions, including those involving listed companies. The team stands out for its synergies with IP and TMT colleagues. Corporate and commercial law expert Mario Ortu leads the corporate and M&A practice, which Pierfrancesco Giustiniani has taken a significant role in growing. Nicola Barra Caracciolo has a strong track record in domestic and international transactions in several jurisdictions.
‘The practice has very skilled professionals who have excellent interpersonal skills with counterparts and legal counterparts. They are also highly committed, ethical and precise, and act in the best interests of clients.‘
‘The office is expert in brands and the automotive sector. The lawyers are efficient and fast without losing sight of quality or detail.‘
‘The lawyers are extremely responsive. Whilst very knowledgeable on the legal technical side, they always deliver advice in an easily understandable way while looking at practical angles. They always try to think out of the box to solve specific issues, and when dealing with them clients always have the certainty that they are sharing the agenda, objectives and priorities.‘
‘Pierfrancesco Giustiniani is very efficient, fast and thorough. When he explains something difficult he makes it understandable and effective. In short, for a CEO he provides good support for difficult decisions.‘
‘Nicola Barra Caracciolo and Mario Ortu are always available, extremely professional and very competent, with deep knowledge of the law and the practice of the law. They always protect clients in an effective way, providing viable and practical solutions to problems, and they always take into account the broader picture when dealing with very specific technical legal problems.‘
Axel Johnson International
Fabbrica Italiana Sintetici
Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di La Spezia
Fondo Italiano d’Investimento
Fox International Channels Italy
IMI Fondi Chiusi
Nomura International (Italian Branch)
- Assisted Michael Kors, alongside a US law firm, with the acquisition of Gianni Versace.
- Advised M&C on the sale of its subsidiary company, Treofan Holdings, to a member of the B C Jindal Group, which develops and manufactures specialty biaxially-oriented polypropylene films.
- Acted for Antares Vision on the establishment of a joint venture in India with its local partner, Jay Instruments & Systems PVT.
Pavia e Ansaldo acts for major international and domestic players on high-profile deals. It is one of the few Italian corporate groups with dedicated Japanese, Russian (including CIS countries) and China desks. A significant proportion of the firm's corporate clients are from the industrial and manufacturing sectors. Stefano Bianchi is a company and commercial law specialist, Sven von Mensenkampff is an adviser to German and Nordic corporations with Italian operations, and Roberto Zanchi is an M&A, private equity, and commercial and company law specialist.
‘It has exceptional competence, combined with availability for clients and problem solving skills. Clients particularly appreciate the lawyers’ ability to put themselves in clients’ shoes and accompany them on strategic choices.‘
‘Compared to the competition, Pavia e Ansaldo offers a 360-degree service. There are several specialists who are able to cover all aspects of commercial law and M&A, working efficiently together as a team and with the client’s in-house legal counsel. The lawyers also have a friendly, but also professional, attitude and there is considerable transparency in billing.‘
Odeon Cinemas Group
Robert Bosch Group
Stirling Square Capital Partners
Sun Hydraulics Corporation
Surfaces Technological Abrasives
The Hirmer Group
Travel Charme Hotels & Resorts
Xenon Private Equity
- Advised the European arm of US-based investment house, H I G Capital, on its acquisition of three Italian suppliers to the luxury fashion sector.
- Advised Bosch on the sale of two major business arms.
- Advised TUI Group, one of the largest travel and leisure companies in the world, on its acquisition of an Italian digital travel specialist.
Shearman & Sterling LLP's Italian practice is well known for its international nature, with its members being both Italian and New York-qualified. Most of the team's work, while still governed by Italian law or involving significant Italian law advice, comprises substantial cross-border elements. It also handles a high number of purely domestic Italian deals. Domenico Fanuele is an expert in private and public M&A and strategic joint ventures, and Fabio Fauceglia regularly advises on significant M&A deals.
Qatar Investment Authority
- Advised Coesia on its acquisition of Comas.
- Acted for the Blackstone Group on the acquisition of 35% of Kryalos Investment’s share capital.
- Advised the shareholders of VRV on its divestiture to Chart Industries.
Simmons & Simmons is well known for its private equity practice, but the firm has also expanded its offering across the gamut of corporate M&A transactions, including real estate, asset management, luxury goods and retail, healthcare and life sciences, energy and TMT. Andrea Accornero specialises in transactions for Italian and international funds, with a focus on private equity and M&A. Italian corporate real estate practice head Dario Spinella has extensive experience of the Asian market.
Charterhouse Capital Partners
Europa Risorse SGR
Technical Publications Services
- Advised Tatuus Racing on the acquisition of 75% of Breda Racing’s share capital.
- Acted for Tapi on the acquisition of the share capital of Les Bouchages Delage, a French manufacturer of liquor closures.
- Advised Chequers Capital, IGI SGR and the management of Rollon on the disposal of Rollon, which produces and sells linear guide components.
Bird & Bird's corporate group was one of the first in Italy to organise itself around sectors, including life sciences, technology and communications, retail and consumer, energy and utilities, automotive, banking and finance, and food. It also offers a unique cost management service, which enables clients to view the life cycle of deals and observe progress against budget. Italian corporate group head Alberto Salvadè focuses on M&A and private equity transactions.
‘The team is very fast and highly competent at covering all client requirements. At the same time there is always an honest effort to understand clients’ business requirements, so that requests from the other side are always put into the correct business perspective and evaluated in that respect.‘
‘It has outstanding leadership, team collaboration, communication style and business orientation.‘
Alerion Clean Power
- Advised Banca Akros, as sponsor, on the partial and proportional demerger of Aedes SIIQ.
- Acted for Trimas Corporation, a diversified engineered products manufacturer, on the acquisition from the Muccioli family of Plastic SRL, a privately-owned manufacturer of polymeric caps and closures for home care product applications.
- Advised Stock Spirits’ Italian subsidiary on the acquisition of Distillerie Franciacorta.
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato handles several high-value deals each year, with approximately 60% of its deals being cross-border. The practice regularly advises large Italian and global clients from the fashion and luxury, healthcare, energy, real estate, food and media sectors, as well as several active investment funds. Managing partner Luca Arnaboldi and Carlo Pappalettera advise on complex M&A deals.
BF & F
Solutions 30 Italia
- Advised KOS on signing a definitive agreement for the acquisition of Charleston Holding’s capital from the EQT Infrastructure II fund.
- Acted for F2i Sgr, an Italian asset management company, on the purchase agreement for 62% of the Farmacrimi group.
- Advised the Missoni family and Missoni on the acquisition of an interest in Missoni by FSI.
In addition to advising on high-end mandates, CMS' Italian corporate team's costs structure and resources enable it to handle mid-market transactions. It handles multi-jurisdictional M&A deals and is able to call upon the firm's tax, litigation, employment and banking professionals. Pietro Cavasola's clients include multinationals in the energy, publishing, pharmaceutical, construction and banking sectors. Massimo Trentino advises on M&A, including for private equity funds.
‘CMS is a great international law firm with exceptional lawyers. The commercial, corporate and M&A practice ensures clients’ satisfaction. Clients can always trust in excellent legal assistance that is fully tailored to their needs.‘
‘The team is very focused on clients’ needs, always available and fast in its responses.‘
‘Massimo Trentino is an outstanding lawyer with great legal skills. He is fully dedicated to clients and has an uncommon business acumen.‘
Synlab Holding Italy
Banca Popolare di Vicenza
Solaria Energia y Medio Ambiente
Abris Capital Partners
K Invest Holding SAL
Corriere dello Sport Group
- Assisted Solaria Group with its corporate restructuring in Italy.
- Advised Telit Communications on the Italian aspects of the sale of its automotive division.
- Acted for Synlab Holding Italy on the acquisition of over ten medical laboratories.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani advises on commercial agreements with customers, suppliers, distributors and franchisees. The team is best known for M&A, spin offs, corporate restructurings, reorganisations, and joint ventures. It is also one of the few Italian law firms to have had a Moscow office for over 20 years. Marco Frazzica is an automotive and steel industry specialist; Gianni Forlani handles corporate law and M&A at domestic and international levels; and Cristina Fussi has special expertise in cross-border distressed M&A.
‘Clients appreciate the co-operation with the M&A team due to its high levels of responsiveness and ability to understand clients’ needs and sensitivity, notwithstanding foreign expectations and different legal cultures.‘
‘This is a very friendly and approachable firm that openly discusses the billing approach and the people to be assigned to matters. The whole process is very transparent.‘
‘A good level of service and good knowledge of clients’ business and company culture. Response times are also accurate.‘
‘This is a strong team, very professional and very client oriented, with work concluded successfully to everyone’s benefit.‘
‘Cristina Fussi is highly engaged and committed to clients’ expectations. She is also extremely confident and shows clear leadership with respect to the entrusted matters.‘
‘Marco Frazzica is a responsive and supportive legal partner.‘
AB Volvo Group
Dai Nippon Printing
- Advised Switzerland’s Franke Group on the acquisition of a majority stake in Dalla Corte, a coffee machine manufacturer.
- Assisted the special administrator of Aipa with the management of Aipa’s foreign subsidiaries, including the sale of assets and liquidation process.
- Advised Axflow Group, part of Sweden’s Axel Johnson International Group, on the acquisition of Generalcontrol, which distributes fluid management equipment and instruments.
Eversheds Sutherland Associazione Professionale fields specialists with sector expertise in food, industrial engineering, pharmaceuticals, oil and gas, and renewable energy. Clients benefit from the firm's international network in relation to cross-border advice. Riccardo Bianchini Riccardi has well-established experience of corporate and commercial law; Giuseppe Celli advises on M&A, joint ventures, company incorporations and company restructurings; and Guido Galeotti's recent experience includes assistance to chemical, pharmaceutical and oil companies.
Cotecna Inspection SA
Revenio Group Oyi
Room Mate Group
- Advised Switzerland’s Cotecna Inspection, a testing, inspection and certification company, on the acquisition of the Neotron Group.
- Acted for Room Mate on the acquisition of a prestigious hotel business in Rome.
- Advised Revenio Group Oyi on the acquisition of CenterVue, which supplies ophthalmic devices.
In 2019, Santa Maria Studio Legale Associato formalised its longstanding strategic alliance with US law firm Greenberg Traurig, LLP, resulting in the formation of Greenberg Traurig Santa Maria in Italy. The practice advises on a variety of business combinations, across industries and deal sizes, from middle-market transactions to mega deals. In addition to inbound M&A, the team is experienced in cross-border transactions, advising throughout the Americas, Europe, Asia, and Africa. Luigi Santa Maria and Mario Santa Maria are both corporate law specialists.
Chenavari Custodia Valore
Threesixty Investments SGR
Gruppo San Donato
- Advised Custodia Valore on the €40m acquisition of Credito Valtellinese’s pawnbroking business.
- Assisted Chenavari Credit Partners with the acquisition of approximately 80% of consumer credit company, Creditis Servizi Finanziari.
- Advised Bracco Imaging, globally known for diagnostic imaging, on the €450m acquisition of Blue Earth Diagnostics, a UK-based molecular imaging company.
McDermott Will & Emery Studio Legale Associato handles the full spectrum of complex corporate and transactional matters, which often involve multiple jurisdictions and multi-disciplinary advice. Ettore Scandale has carved a niche in pharmaceutical and life sciences-related acquisitions and corporate matters. Corporate partner Fabrizio Faina, who has considerable experience of cross-border M&A, was recruited from Jones Day.
Metric Capital Partners
Chinese Group Guangdong SACA
Palamon Capital Partners
EOS Investment Management
Auctus Capital Partners
MEAG Munich ERGO Asset Management
IKAV Capital Partners
- Advised Inspired Europe Holdings on the acquisition of 60% of Bergamo International Studies’ share capital.
- Acted for a group of investors on the acquisition of a stake in Italian retail fashion company, Boggi Group.
- Advised Eos Investment Management on the acquisition of the Atex Group companies.
Norton Rose Fulbright fields experts in energy, insurance (including the warranty and indemnity provisions of M&A transactions), and financial services deals. The practice is supported by a team of administrative lawyers, who advise on energy regulations, urban planning and environmental law. Salvatore Iannitti is an insurance and financial services specialist.
‘The team is well structured and every teammate fits perfectly within the group. They are capable of interacting with each other and through the different specialisations they have, the team is capable of delivering added- value solutions to issues and goals.‘
‘The individuals are great professionals, and always well educated and capable of representing clients’ best interests.‘
‘It is great for availability, speed and fast focusing of key points.‘
ANV Global Services
- Advised Sonnedix on its participation in a competitive bid for the acquisition of a solar photovoltaic operator in Europe.
- Acted for Enel Green Power on the sale of 80% of the share capital of eight special purpose vehicles, which own solar and wind plants in Mexico.
- Advised insurance company CNA Hardy on its European restructuring, in anticipation of Brexit.
Portolano Cavallo is particularly focused on TMT and life sciences-related deals. The firm stands out for its deployment of artificial intelligence to assist with the organisation and comparison of multi-lingual documents during cross-jurisdictional reviews. Francesco Portolano advises on M&A, private equity, venture capital, joint ventures and corporate governance; and Manuela Cavallo has a strong track record acting for US fashion industry clients. Luca Gambini heads the life sciences department.
‘The team is business and deal oriented. It is always pro-active and on top of matters, and gives smart advice. The practice has a unique focus on TMT in the Italian market.‘
‘Francesco Portolano is brilliant and very business minded. He has a great understanding of the dynamics of any transaction and is a truly trusted adviser.‘
‘Luca Gambini is very smart and personable. He has great depth of technical knowledge combined with a practical approach.‘
Ashurst is strategically focused on M&A deals in the energy, infrastructure and telecoms sectors. The team is also active in non-regulated assets, particularly large transactions in the automotive and luxury businesses. Carloandrea Meacci is an expert in energy and infrastructure deals, and Paolo Manganelli regularly advises Italian and international private equity funds, hedge funds and global corporations.
‘This is a complete team with vast experience in the energy field.‘
‘It is rated for its availability and in-depth knowledge of energy matters.‘
Enel Green Power
Marguerite II SCSp
- Advised Liberty House on its acquisition in Italy of a steel plant from ArcelorMittal.
- Acted for Tages on the acquisition of the quota capital of an SPV, which operates in the solar business, from Fondaco.
- Advised Marguerite, a Luxembourg investment fund, on its investment in City Green Light, a private operator in Italy’s public lighting efficiency sector.
Caiazzo Donnini Pappalardo & Associati – CDP Studio Legale
Caiazzo Donnini Pappalardo & Associati – CDP Studio Legale provides senior-level advice on extraordinary transactions. The practice has specific industry knowledge of the electronic communications, oil and gas, energy, gaming, civil aviation, transportation and manufacturing sectors. Roberto Donnini advises on domestic and international strategic transactions.
Hitachi Rail STS
Kuwait Petroleum Italia
One Equity Partners
C H Robinson
The Student Hotel
- Advised Lutech on the acquisition of ICTeam’s corporate capital.
- Acted for Gamenet on the acquisition of GoldBet, a sports betting company.
- Assisted Orizzonte Solare with the sale of its photovoltaic special purpose vehicles in Apulia.
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP regularly advises on cross-border M&A, with particular strength in mid-cap transactions. Rome-based Dino Dima focuses on corporate matters and cross-border M&A. Former partner Ian Tully left for Squire Patton Boggs' new Milan office in 2020.
‘The team has excellent negotiation skills and flexibility in finding effective solutions.‘
‘A good international practice, with local capabilities. The team is experienced and always available.‘
‘Dino Dima has technical and negotiating skills in the M&A sector that are not easily found on the market.‘
G L Group Italia
Pirelli & C
- Advised TIM, one of the main Italian telecoms operators, on the tender procedure for the sale of one of its subsidiaries’ equity interest.
- Assisted Enav, the state-owned company responsible for the management of civil air traffic in Italy, with the acquisition of IDS AirNav, which provides air navigation software development services.
- Acted for Pernod Ricard on its acquisition of gin brand, Malfy.
DWF 's practice covers corporate governance, acquisitions and divestments of shareholdings, transfers and contributions of businesses, mergers and demergers, public tender offers, and joint ventures. The practice has a substantial German desk, headed by Giovanni Cucchiarato, that is experienced in cross-border M&A transactions and fintech. Luca Cuomo is regularly involved in M&A, corporate and energy transactions, and Michele Cicchetti is noted for related financing matters.
‘DWF only recently established its Italian branch but it has already become very well known in the Italian corporate and M&A market, thanks to its young and brilliant team.‘
‘The team, in particular Giovanni Cucchiarato, is very proactive and open to finding creative solutions that support clients’ needs.‘
‘Giovanni Cucchiarato has great experience in cross-border international deals that involve foreign investors in Italy.‘
Headway Capital Partners
VAM Investments Group
BCI Holding Europe
Vestigo Capital Private Equity & Advisory
Renting Services Group
BF Invest 1
- Advised English private equity fund, Vestigo Capital, on the due diligence and negotiations regarding a potential high-value acquisition of a boutique hotel in Rome.
- Acted for Giglio.com’s shareholders on a minority investment by Equilybra in Giglio.com, a global online luxury and high-fashion store.
- Advised VAM Investments Group (VAM) on the sale of a minority share in VAM to Tages and Argenta Blue.
Giovannelli e Associati Studio Legale was established in 2013, following a spin-off from Ashurst. The practice advises on complex, corporate transactions, its advice ranging from early structuring to closing. The firm stands out for its strong relationships with leading independent firms across Europe and the US. Alessandro Giovannelli, Fabrizio Scaparro and Matteo Delucchi are all corporate law specialists.
GKN Wheels & Structures Group
Italmatch Chemicals Group
MS Growth Ventures
Trafigura Beheer BV
White Bridge Investments
- Advised Azelis, a Belgian supplier of speciality chemicals ingredients, on the acquisition of Deafarma, a distributor of pharmaceutical raw materials.
- Acted for French private equity fund, Ardian, on the acquisition of the share capital of Celli, an Italian beverage solutions company.
- Advised Dedalus on the acquisition of a majority stake in social and health solutions company, SofTech.
Gitti and Partners' clients include international and national private equity funds, as well as family businesses, holding companies, entrepreneurs and management teams, which are involved in M&A, buy-outs and mezzanine transactions. Gregorio Gitti is a specialist in utilities and Vincenzo Giannantonio is a private equity expert.
‘The team has high levels of competence and familiarity with the management of negotiations in the private equity sector.‘
‘It is highly committed, balanced in analysing risks and strongly supportive of clients’ positions and rights.‘
‘Vincenzo Giannantonio provides an excellent balance between specific competences in private equity and the ability to support negotiations.‘
CITCO – VILNIUS UAB
Fondo Italiano D’investimento
IMI Fondi Chiusi SGR
- Advised Trasporti Romagna on the acquisition of Blue City, which specialises in frozen and fresh food products.
- Acted for Bain Capital on the acquisition from Monte dei Paschi di Siena of an NPL portfolio.
- Advised Remedia, an Italian collective scheme for the environmentally sustainable management of waste electrical and electronic equipment, on a merger by incorporation with EcoR’it.
Grimaldi Studio Legale
Grimaldi Studio Legale has longstanding experience in mergers, demergers, share and asset acquisitions, and group reorganisations. The firm also has an active private equity group. Tiziana Del Prete specialises in M&A, corporate and commercial law and corporate restructuring; and Elio Marena assists Italian and foreign industrial groups, as well as private equity funds.
Jones Day acts on high-profile national and cross-border transactions. Advising clients on a one-stop shop basis, the Milan office is fully integrated with the firm's other worldwide offices and practice areas. Stefano Crosio advises North American clients and multinationals on their investments and divestments in Italy. Former corporate partner Fabrizio Faina joined McDermott Will & Emery Studio Legale Associato.
K&L Gates is particularly experienced in assisting financial services industry clients with transactions and compliance with regulatory requirements. The team also advises on oil and gas and renewables-related M&A. In recent years, the corporate team has developed significant experience of acquisitions and divestitures of distressed companies and assets. Giampaolo Salsi's practice includes handling reorganisations of family-owned groups. Pasquale Marini is an M&A specialist.
‘The K&L Gates attorneys have very high business acumen and are always able to find pragmatic, yet fully compliant solutions, to meet their clients’ needs.‘
‘The important points are the team’s professionalism, competence, reliability and speed of its responses.‘
‘It provides real solutions to problems.‘
‘Giampaolo Salsi is indeed one of the best partners around. He is highly competent in corporate, commercial and M&A. He constantly demonstrates great social intelligence and is able to manage different stakeholders within the same organisation. He is also an outstanding negotiator – indeed it is a pleasure to partner with him.‘
Quantum Capital Partners
- Assisted Marubeni Europe with a bid process to acquire a majority stake in the holder of a concession for the enlargement and refurbishment of an Italian hospital.
- Advised Keyline, which engineers and manufactures key cutting machines and door and car keys and remote controls, on the acquisition of a controlling stake in Luso Chav, an importer and distributor of keys and key machines in Portugal.
- Assisted Ipsos, which provides survey-based research services for brands, companies and institutions, with the Italian portion of the acquisition of four global research divisions from GfK.
LMCR advises on acquisitions and disposals of companies and businesses, public offerings, establishing joint ventures, and mergers and demergers. Massimo La Torre acts for listed and unlisted industrial and banking groups, as well as entrepreneurs and investment funds; and Roberto Rio is an M&A, corporate finance and corporate governance specialist. Associate Leopoldo Giannini assists international clients with their investments in Italy and advises Italian clients on the internationalisation of their activities.
‘A best-in-class practice that is proactive and bright in finding solutions to complex issues.‘
‘LMCR is a quality outfit offering top-drawer service with the benefits of a personalised boutique approach – a good choice.‘
‘Massimo La Torre is a bright individual with a commercial approach. He is a safe pair of hands, knows his stuff, gets the job done, and has a no-fuss attitude.‘
‘Associate Leopoldo Giannini is a very talented and intuitive person.‘
Giochi Preziosi Group
Mandarin Capital Partners
Waterland Private Equity
Working Capital Management Group
- Advised Giochi Preziosi on the acquisition of plush sector company, Trudi.
- Assisted Nidec Corporation with the acquisition of Embraco from Whirlpool Corporation.
- Assisted Italian food company, Madi Ventura, with the acquisition of a stake in chocolate, energy and protein bar company, Meraviglie.
LMS Studio Legale's experience includes LBOs and MBOs, as well as mergers, joint ventures, commercial partnerships and minority investments. The practice fields deal experts in manufacturing, retail, trade, food, fashion, finance, telecoms, IT and energy. Fabio Labruna, Tommaso Amirante and Fabio Coppola are all corporate and commercial law, M&A and private equity specialists.
Macchi di Cellere Gangemi's practice covers cross-border and domestic structuring of investment deals and acquisition programmes; due diligence, drafting and negotiation of investment, sale and purchase agreements; and assistance with corporate governance matters. Luigi Macchi di Cellere is a corporate governance, corporate restructuring and M&A specialist, and Claudio Visco focuses on oil and gas and energy-related M&A.
‘This practice is unique for competence, efficiency and capability.‘
‘The practice’s preparation, competence, experience, best practices and efficiency are all outstanding at this firm.‘
Hong Kong Hanix United International Trading
Corum Origin SCPI
Solar Puglia II
Global Solar Fund
- Advised Airbus Helicopters on the acquisition of 75% of the Aersud Group, which distributes and maintains helicopters.
- Acted for Corum Origin SCPI on the purchase of a multi-level car park.
- Advised Hong Kong Hanix United International Trading on the acquisition of a minority interest in EB Neuro, which is active in the medical equipment business.
Nunziante Magrone acts for a client portfolio of small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as private families. The practice recently expanded with the arrival of corporate partners Fiorella Alvino and Michael Kirkham from Ughi E Nunziante. Gianmatteo Nunziante in Rome and Milan-based Gianmarco Mileni Munari and Francesco Abbozzo Franzi are M&A experts.
‘The team displays extreme professionalism and ability to understand the specific needs of a growing and evolving structure of start-up. The firm’s eclecticism and strong focus on clients’ needs are its strengths.‘
‘A very good team that combines corporate and commercial law expertise with regulatory knowledge. It provides quick and effective advice.‘
‘Gianmarco Mileni Munari is a far-sighted lawyer and strong negotiator.‘
Thyssenkrupp Elevator Italia
BigBlu Broadband Group
- Advised Philippe Starck on setting up a joint venture with restaurant business, Alajmo.
- Assisted Cherubini, a manufacturer of window blinds and shutters, with the setting up of a joint venture company in Turkey with a local partner.
- Advised the National Italian Fashion Association on the negotiation of an agreement, which allows emerging Hungarian and Chinese designers to participate in the eighth edition of Fashion Hub.
Osborne Clarke's corporate and M&A team, which is focused on mid-market M&A transactions as well as cross-border matters, is fully integrated into the firm's international network. The team has also developed particular expertise in corporate restructuring. Riccardo Roversi has notable strength in renewable energy deals and Umberto Piattelli is an M&A specialist. Giovanni Penzo acts for public-owned companies that operate in the waste, water and energy sectors.
‘Riccardo Roversi is a very prepared professional.‘
Quercus Assets Selection
Assietta Private Equity SGR
Banca Sella Holding
Società Cremasca Reti e Patrimonio
Brilliant Concept Development
- Advised Società Cremasca Reti e Patrimonio (in liquidation) on the sale of a water utilities sector business branch.
- Acted for construction and engineering supplier, Unieco Società Cooperativa, on drafting a competitive tender for the sale of its environment division.
- Assisted Assietta Private Equity with majority investments into both organic cosmetics and dietary supplement maker, Bioearth International, and mixing systems manufacturer, MIX.
Ughi E Nunziante
Ughi E Nunziante has longstanding experience of advising Italian and international clients on transactions, including cross-border M&A. Roberto Leccese's clients range from medium-sized companies to large multinational groups, particularly from the renewable energy, oil and gas and technology industries. Filippo Mazza is an insurance and energy sector specialist.
IMI Fondi Chiusi SGR
d’Amico Società di Navigazione
Neuberger Berman AIFM
- Advised Morrow Sodali Global on the sale of 15% of the company to US fund, Granite Creek.
- Acted for Consilium SGR, on behalf of Consilium Private Equity Fund III, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Dino Corsini, a producer of pastry for large-scale retail traders.
- Advised HC Trading International on the sale to Italcementi of its Italian subsidiary, HC Italia.
Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams
Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams has a particular focus on corporate energy and maritime transactions. Other industry strengths are real estate, transport, fashion, food and healthcare. Italy head Eugenio Tranchino is an energy and infrastructure projects specialist; Tiziana Manenti is highly rated for power and utility projects; and Carlo Cosmelli is a cross-border and domestic M&A expert.
‘The WFW team is an example of completeness and precision. Every aspect is dealt with completely without leaving anything to chance. The solutions that are discussed are always the result of balanced judgement and are proposals that are decisive and not negotiation bases for further exchanges.‘
‘Eugenio Tranchino is a well-trained, balanced and patient professional.‘
‘Carlo Cosmelli, in addition to the preparation and completeness of his approach, manages to be incessantly proactive, even during unfavourable situations.‘
Blue Elephant Energy
juwi Energie Rinnovabili
- Advised Rimorchiatori Riuniti, Fratelli Neri and Rimorchiatori Laziali on the acquisition (by their recently incorporated Greek joint venture, Greek-Euro Towage Maritime Company) of an 80% stake in Zouros Group.
- Acted for Seri Industrial, through its subsidiary Tolo Energia, on the sale of Idroelettrica Tosco Emiliana, which owns hydropower plants, to Serenissima SGR.
- Assisted Reca Group, which is known globally for apparel labelling and packaging, on the sale of all its business units to the Mainetti Group.
Withers Studio Legale advises Italian individuals, entrepreneurs and family-owned businesses on investing abroad and international investors active in Italy. It stands out for its work with brands, creative individuals, and sports and celebrity figures. The team is also active in the luxury goods, fashion, design, and food and beverage industries. Roberta Crivellaro specialises in corporate and commercial cross-border transactions and mergers.
‘The lawyers of law firm Withers are very professional, and always able to respond promptly to all requests. The characteristics that distinguish Withers, beyond the proven professionalism and experience, are speed of execution, promptness of responses and, above all, support for client needs that are different from pure mandate requirements, making them a trusted partner rather than a simple consultant.‘
‘The professionals are reliable, present and always available. They are always thinking about possible solutions, proving themselves always open to exploring new paths instead of suggesting the simplest one, and they always try to make things clear and understandable.‘
CVZ Casa Vinicola Zonin
- Advised Casa Vinicola Zonin (CVZ), the largest privately owned wine producer in Italy, on the investment by Capitoloventiquattro (a private equity fund ultimately owned by the Benetton family) in CVZ.
- Acted for international luxury club and hospitality complex, Soho House, on negotiations with Italian property group Barletta, in relation to opening a new concept hotel in Rome.
- Advised Capgemini Italia on the acquisition of the shareholding of Doing, an Italian digital marketing sector operator.
BLB Studio Legale
BLB Studio Legale's corporate and M&A team, which is headed by Alessandro Benedetti, has expertise in M&A transactions and corporate law, particularly regarding shareholder relations. The firm's client base includes international and domestic companies and it has notable experience working alongside Chinese law firms advising Italian companies on corporate matters in China. Senior associate Nuria Gallego joined from Studio Marchetti in May 2019.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very skilled in commercial transactions and contracts.‘
Austral-Long International Enterprise
Caritas of Birmingham
Ulixes Capital Partners
Global Legal Hackaton
Legal Tech Academy
Sirote and Permutt PC, Alabama
- Advised Austral-Long International Enterprise on the acquisition of 75% of Janus Pharma.
- Acted for Movendo Technology on drafting a distribution contract for the Chinese market.
- Assisted China Juchi with the corporate reorganisation of its Italian branch.
The corporate and M&A team at CBA Studio Legale e Tributario advises on business consultation, joint ventures, share acquisitions, agency agreements and restructuring. Working on mid-level transactions, the team has expertise crossing a variety of industries including energy and infrastructure, gaming and gambling, fashion, shipping and aviation. The practice is jointly headed by Luca Fabbrini and Giuseppe Alessandro Galeano.
‘The firm stands out not only for the competence and professionalism of its members, but above all for the courtesy and availability even at impossible times, from which an important operating speed derives.‘
‘Availability, quick response, professionalism.‘
‘Activities were carried out in an orderly and professional manner.‘
Alternative Funds SGR
Cassa di Risparmio della Spezia
- Advised MF Partners and Agatos on the sale of shares in five companies to Caab Energia.
- Acted for DEA Capital on the sale of receivables and semi-equitable instruments to Banca Interprovinciale.
- Advised Kartell on a joint-venture with Bio-on.
FIVELEX Studio Legale has expertise in significant M&A transactions, particularly for mid-cap companies mainly involved in industrial and commercial activities in the Italian as well as the wider European market. Clients include investment companies; private equity funds; family offices; listed companies; and industrial and commercial companies. Alfredo Craca and Claudio Tatozzi are the key names.
Other key lawyers:
‘Professionalism and availability with a strong focus on pragmatism and concreteness in the search for solutions.‘
‘The team has an excellent multi-disciplinary knowledge and experience covering different areas, such as corporate restructuring, banking & finance and capital markets matters. The team has an outstanding understanding of the business and commercial considerations of the transaction and is pragmatic in its approach to serve the clients effectively.‘
‘They are committed, motivated and proactive.‘
‘The team is really capable and with a deep knowledge of Italian corporate law. In addition, the team has developed a significant cross-border experience within the context of complex cross-border company structure and transactions.‘
‘The partner Alfredo Craca has an excellent legal knowledge and perfect understanding of complex cross-border structures. His outstanding experience with international corporate and restructuring transactions has always been praised by clients and peers in Italy or abroad. Alfredo is very business oriented and gives great attention to his clients’ commercial needs. He has always a legal solution to any business issue.‘
‘We usually work with founding and managing partners Francesco Di Carlo and Alfredo Craca. They both are very committed, motivated, personable and knowledgeable.‘
‘I have worked over the past years with Alfredo Craca. He is a well regarded lawyer in the corporate sector with a long-term experience in corporate transactions, also involving cross-border issues.‘
Tamburi Investment Partners
Appetais Italia’s shareholders
Blue Skye Financial Partners
- Advised Tamburi Investment Partners on the share purchase agreement for shares of iGuzzini illuminazione.
- Acted for Elliott Advisors and Blue Skye Financial Partners on the financing and acquisition of A.C. Milan.
- Advising Banca Generali on its acquisition of 90.1% of Valuer Fiduciaria.
Jenny & Partners
Jenny & Partners advises on corporate law and M&A for Italian and international clients, including industrial and commercial entities, financial institutions, banks and insurance companies. Working with foreign clients acquiring Italian companies has become a particular specialism for the 'highly skilled and professional' team that is jointly headed by Christoph Jenny, Simona Gallo and Manuela Di Maggio.
Other key lawyers:
‘Professionalism and speed of execution.‘
‘Jenny.Avvocati has a highly skilled and professional team in M&A and corporate, with specific expertise in problem solving and negotiation activity. The team is always available for the client and also flexible in setting fees according to particular clients’ demands. I highly recommend this legal team.‘
‘It is definitely an advantage, that all lawyers speak English well and Mr. Jenny speaks German very well. The team does work really hard and quick and tries to do most of the work independently on its own.‘
‘We received a high level of support during a recent acquisition project: really partnering us on achieving the goal.‘
- Advised Veneto Banca and Banca Popolare di Vicenza on the disposal of stakes in Arca Holding.
- Assisted Schwabe International with the acquisition of Pegaso.
- Advised COV on the sale of a going concern to MV.
This corporate and M&A team at LCA Studio Legale is jointly led by Giovanni Lega, Vittorio Turinetti di Priero and Andrea Carreri. The team has particular expertise in the manufacturing and technology sectors and advises domestic and international companies.
‘Attention to the customer; professionalism and extreme expertise; easy to work in a group.‘
‘Continuous availability; competent counsel and always brilliant solution of every important matter.‘
‘LCA has very reliable partners and very capable associates. Answers are always on time, and they are capable of covering all my legal needs.‘
‘They are fully engaged and try to understand the business and its characteristics and needs. In this way, having a correct understanding of the aims that we want to achieve during the negotiation, I am also able to suggest different solutions that contribute proactively to achieving the best result for the company.‘
E.On Connecting Energies
eBay Classifieds Group
Albany Molecular Research (AMRI)
La Centrale Finanziaria Generale
Ethica Global Investments
- Advised La Centrale Finanziaria Generale on the transfer of a branch of the business to Global Strategic Business.
- Acting for Sumitomo Electric Finance UK on corporate and commercial matters on a day-to-day basis.
- Advised Indaco Venture Partners SGR on the investment in MainStreamin.
Led by Julian Berger, Mascia Cassella and Luca Masotti, the corporate and M&A practice at Masotti Berger Cassella covers all aspects of cross-border transactions as well as day-to-day corporate advice. The firm's client list encompasses a range of industries but it has a particular specialism in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors. Associate Stefano Del Vecchio is also noted.
‘The approach is both professional and human. In the acquisitions there are many aspects to manage and the firm can help us in each of them.‘
‘Luca Masotti is a great professional. Mascia Cassella really follows us with passion, Stefano Del Vecchio is extremely fast and prepared.‘
‘This practice, in addition to having specific skills capable of covering different business needs, combines high professionalism with great availability, with fast and active replies.‘
‘Mascia Cassella: an expert corporate lawyer, always ready to assist and provide proper advice.‘
AB Medica Group
Americas Power Partners
ABEX Excelencia Robotica
Pomini Rubber & Plastics
Officine Ortopediche Rizzoli
Bianchi Mare Holdings
Eleventy World Srl
- Advising AB Medica on negotiating and drafting a range of commercial agreements.
- Acting for EFESO Consulting on compliance with Italian legislation.
- Advising Immobiliare Melpo on its split into smaller companies.
Mondini Rusconi Studio Legale instructs a foreign and domestic client list on ongoing corporate matters including new business ventures, corporate governance, and assistance in corporate disputes. The corporate and M&A team is led jointly by Silvia Mondini Vitiello and Giorgio Rusconi.
Morri Rossetti e Associati
Hankook Tire Italy
- Advised AMB on the acquisition of TDX Europe.
- Acted for Stonex on a due diligence exercise in preparation for a share issuance.
- Assisted AMB with an investment by Friulia.
Studio Legale Padovan
Studio Legale Padovan's corporate and M&A team is led by founding partner Marco Padovan. The firm has a particular focus on the areas of domestic and cross-border M&A; corporate finance; joint ventures; company law; international data protection; and commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great skills, availability, pragmatic approach.‘
Alitalia – Società Aerea Italiana
Danieli & C. Officine Meccaniche
- Advising Banca Carige on a review of its practices and drafting a new operational policy for international activities.
- Assisting Salini Impregilo with a joint venture in Denmark.
- Advised GMCI on its sale to a Saudi Arabian company.
Pirola Pennuto Zei & Associati acts for domestic and international companies on a range of matters, including day-to-day corporate advice, M&A, private equity transactions and corporate finance. The team is jointly led by Massimo Di Terlizzi and Roberto Padova. Francesca de Fraja is also noted.
‘The professionals with whom we had the opportunity to work (in particular Maurizio Bernardi, Manuela Molinari, Giulia Mancini and Davide Ghedi) stood out for their availability, punctuality, competence and kindness.‘
‘I really appreciate the long and wide experience of the firm, both in legal and tax. This double expertise is an important asset that together with the care they provide to the customers makes the firm a very professional and appreciated one.‘
‘I had the opportunity to work with Maurizio Bernardi and his team, especially Francesca De Fraja. I have really appreciated the long experience of the mentioned lawyers and their open-mindedness and availability. They are always ready to support in a wide range of matters by providing a great professionalism and competence.‘
CNH Financial Services
Fondo Italiano d’Ivestimento
- Advised Gruppo Aturia on the acquisition of Finder Pompe.
- Assisted Olimpia Splendid with the entry of private equity fund Alto Partners into its share capital.
- Advised Dell’Orto on a joint venture with Varroc Eng.
Rucellai & Raffaelli
Rucellai & Raffaelli's 'competent, flexible and well-prepared' corporate and M&A team acts for a varied client list of international and domestic companies on a variety of M&A deals. The practice is headed by Enrico Sisti.
‘The capacity to understand the situations and give the correct advice. They see the client’s interests before the client itself.‘
‘Enrico Sisti is the lawyer I want always have at my side in a negotiation. He is incredibly smart and focused on the client interest and result. If you have a goal, he will bring it home, for sure.‘
‘Strong technical skills, coupled with an effort to always ensure availability also at short notice- proactive approach, trying to identify viable solutions, bringing forward effective legal arguments to help in-house counsel to influence the business and ensure decisions are sustainable and defendable. Various areas of expertise make this firm an advantageous business partner, since they have the possibility to analyse legal issues from different perspectives.‘
‘It is a great team, very competent, flexible and well-prepared on every subject.‘
Altor Equity Partners
United Technologies Holding
Insec Equity Partners/Siparex
Boston Consulting Group
VGP Industrial Parks
OMV (Osterreichische Mineralolvewartung)
Mail Boxes Etc.
IMI Fondi Chiusi
- Advised Andera Partners on the issuance of a convertible bond for Medical Microinstruments.
- Acted for Navico Group on the acquisition of GeoMind from private stakeholders.
- Assisted private shareholders with the sale of majority stakes in Away and SID to Semax Holding.