Real estate in Indonesia
ABNR Counsellors at Law has a strong background in advising on property and land matters relating to commercial, tourism and infrastructure developments. Rita T Taufik leads the team and is very active in infrastructure projects. Also in the team is Giffy Pardede, who focuses on financings, securitisations and investment trusts, and Kevin Sidharta, who is notably strong in real estate-related insolvencies and liquidations. Herry Nuryanto Kurniawan is also very experienced in handling the real estate aspects of major infrastructure projects.
Rita T Taufik
- Acting as counsel to Aozora Bank in relation to its loan to PT Prima Pratama Citra for the construction and development of Ayana Komodo Resort, which is located in Labuan Bajo
- Advised YTL Corporation on the development of the 2 x 660MW Tanjung Jati A power plant
- Assisting Inalum with all the real estate aspects of its acquisition of assets from the Asahan Development Authority.
- Represented Radisson Hotel Group in its dispute with Panorama Group involving a joint venture hotel-management company, PT Carlson Panorama Hospitality, which was established by Radisson and Panorama
- Acting as counsel to Bukit Uluwatu Villa in relation to its proposed rights issue and private placement, which are expected to raise funds to finance capital expenditure projects and the acquisition of PT Bali Ocean Magic, a watersports and recreation company.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners is experienced in commercial, industrial and residential real estate matters, with a client base that includes domestic and multinational companies. Yogi Sudrajat leads the team and is an expert in real estate and land law, with experience in both transactions and litigation. Also recommended is Agnes Maria Wardhana, who is experienced in land law and real estate transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Lotte Chemical Indonesia
Nirvana Wastu Pratama
Petronas Niaga Indonesia
- Advised PT Lotte Chemical Indonesia on the acquisition of a 34-hectare plot of land in Cilegon, Banten (West Java).
- Advised Nirvana Wastu Pratama on the acquisition of Palu Grand Mall.
- Represented Hero Supermarket in relation to a dispute with PT Lingkar Cipta Selaras over a lease agreement.
- Represented Petronas Niaga Indonesia in a land dispute.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie runs the gamut of real estate work, primarily acting for international investors. Bima Sarumpaet heads the practice and is an expert in commercial, hospitality, industrial and mixed development real estate. Other noteworthy names include Wimbanu Widyatmoko, who has a strong presence in the hotel and leisure sector; Daniel Pardede, who is an expert in land acquisitions and real estate transactions; and Mita Djajadiredja, who is currently very active in residential real estate.
‘Very balanced approach. Commercial yet legally sound advice.’
Sime Darby Berhad
Hong Kong Land
- Reviewing VCGP’s hotel management agreement with Shaza Hotels for a new halal hotel development in Lombok, Indonesia.
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills' focus is on real estate acquisitions, financings and joint ventures. Managing partner Iril Hiswara co-heads the practice and regularly represents international clients on investments, transactions and privatisations. Also leading the team is Vik Tang, who is an expert in M&A transactions. Teguh Arwiko, who was recently promoted to partner, is also experienced in M&A.
Iril Hiswara; Vik Tang
Other key lawyers:
Rajawali Property Group
PT Chitatex Peni
Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC)
Marriott International, Inc
Wijaya Karya (Persero) Tbk
PT CGS-CIMB Sekuritas Indonesia
Hotelbeds Pte Ltd
Cowell Development Tbk
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (Hong Kong) Limited
- Advised CapitaLand on its proposed $11bn acquisition of all shares in Ascendas Pte Ltd and Singbridge Pte Ltd, subsidiaries of Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited.
- Represented UBS and SCB in the issuance of $150m senior notes by PT Modernland Realty Tbk.
- Representing Chitatex Peni, a member of Indonesian property developer RDTX group, on office leasing and subleasing structures.
- Acting for Marriott International in the management of its luxury hotels across Indonesia.
Leks&Co is a firm that is known for its work in real estate, with expertise in both contentious and non-contentious issues. Managing partner Eddy Leks leads the team and specialises in commercial and corporate real estate. Another key figure is Ivor Pasaribu, who is highly experienced in handling real estate-related litigation.
Other key lawyers:
China Railway Group
China Harbour Group
Country Garden Indonesia
TJ Silvanus Group
- Advised PT Takenaka Indonesia as a member of Takenaka Corporation on standardising its existing design and build contract.
- Providing ongoing advice to Deltamas on the development of a housing complex in Bekasi, West Java.
- Assisted China Railway with reviewing its contract for general construction based on FIDIC.
- Advising Ciputra Group on the regulation and development of the multipurpose utilisation of a high-rise building.
- Advising China Railway Group on its development project in Jakarta’s Central Business District
Makarim & Taira S. is notably skilled in handling land acquisitions, leasehold arrangements and general contractual matters. Rahayu Hoed is a key figure and particularly active in advising on land acquisitions in the project and energy space. Heru Mardijarto has a similar focus on the energy and natural resources sector, but focuses on issues such as construction and procurement agreements. Also recommended is Lia Alizia, who is an expert in land transfers and due diligence.
‘Very easy to communicate with and respond in a timely manner.’
‘Provide excellent service.’
Marriot Hotel & Resort
Badan Pelaksana Otorita Danau Toba
- Assisting Badan Pelaksana Otorita Danau Toba with concluding a memorandum of understanding with potential investors.
Soemadipradja & Taher's multi-disciplinary practice assists with commercial leases, joint ventures, land acquisitions, construction and disputes. Mochamad Kasmali leads the team and advises on all corporate matters pertaining to real estate, particularly in the natural resources and energy sector. Ardian Deny Sidharta is also very experienced in this sector and is notably skilled in handling procurement, land acquisitions, and matters relating to indigenous people’s native title.
Other key lawyers:
BP Petrochemicals Indonesia
E-United Ferro Indonesia
- Acted as legal counsel to BP Petrochemicals Indonesia in a land sale and purchase transaction involving Lotte Group.
- Acted as legal counsel to PT E-United Ferro Indonesia in a planned land acquisition.
SSEK Legal Consultants has a strong background in advising on real estate matters in the commercial, residential and hospitality sectors. Denny Rahmansyah jointly leads the team and is skilled in M&A and joint ventures, as well as land acquisitions and leases. He is particularly active in the tourism and retail sectors. Fellow practice head Michael Twomey advises on commercial and hospitality real estate and is an expert in project finance. Michael Carl similarly focuses on project finance and regularly assists with land acquisitions and licensing matters associated with energy projects.
Denny Rahmansyah; Michael Twomey
Other key lawyers:
‘SSEK has complete knowledge of the real estate industry. They can not only advise on legal issues, but also give their opinions on commercial structures and terms.’
‘Denny Rahmansyah’s extensive knowledge allows him to answer questions in the blink of an eye.’
Dusit Thani Group
Risland Sutera Property
Jones Lang LaSalle
China Fortune Land Development
Hongkong Land and Jakarta Land
- Advised PT Risland Sutera Property on the acquisition of several plots of land in Alam Sutera to be used for a large residential development.
- Assisted Minor International with the acquisition of a luxury resort in Bali
- Acted for Dusit Thani on its acquisition of luxury villa rentals company Elite Havens.
- Assisted Jeld-Wen by performing extensive due diligence on targeted land and guiding the client through the acquisition process.
- Advised American real estate company WeWork on entering the Indonesian market.
Bagus Enrico & Partners (BE Partners) handles land acquisitions and property transactions involving commercial, residential, luxury and industrial real estate. The team is headed by managing partner Bagus Nur Buwono and Enrico Iskandar, who both regularly represent foreign investors and developers on real estate matters.
Bagus Nur Buwono
Other key lawyers:
- Advised Karma Royal Group on the ownership and land title restructuring of its subsidiary company, PT Karma Development, which owns, operates and manages hotels and resorts in Bali.
- Representing Thema Italia in the approximately IDR70bn sale of land and properties currently used for tourism resorts.
- Advising CRBC on legal due diligence for two potential land plots located in Jakarta for the development of residential, retail and commercial projects with a total value of $150m.
- Assisting PT Long Harmony Industry (as the buyer) with the acquisition of land plots with the approximate area of 30,000m2 for the fabric dying industry.
Founding partner Al Hanafiah is a key figure in Hanafiah Ponggawa & Partners' real estate practice. He has a strong track record of advising both international and domestic clients on real estate transactions, and is currently very active in the hospitality and leisure sector.
- Assisted Virgin Management with obtaining a property in Ubud, Bali.