ABNR Counsellors at Law advises local and international clients on the full spectrum of real estate law, from land acquisitions and commercial leases through to M&A and REIT transactions. The team works closely with the projects practice and provides support on the real estate aspects of energy and infrastructure projects. Rita Taufik advises international investors and state-owned enterprises on real estate-related joint ventures and M&A. Giffy Pardede is also noted and focuses on REIT transactions.
Real estate in Indonesia
Other key lawyers:
‘Good and thorough due diligence. They are able and available to handle every single aspect of the work, down to the minor details.’
‘Giffy Pardede stands out for his availability to the client.’
‘ABNR are highly responsive, technically capable and commercially aware.’
The real estate team at Assegaf Hamzah & Partners works closely with the infrastructure practice and advises on the real estate aspects of construction and infrastructure matters. The team has wide-ranging experience, covering PPPs and foreign direct investment involving commercial, industrial and residential real estate. Practice head Yogi Sudrajat Marsono advises on real estate M&A, asset management, property development and construction agreements.
Yogi Sudrajat Marsono
Other key lawyers:
Agnes Maria E. Wardhana
‘What stands out is the collaboration between the teams of lawyers.’
The Indonesian Chamber of Commerce and Industry or Kamar Dagang dan Industri Indonesia (“KADIN”)
Ministry of State Secretariat
PT Pelabuhan Indonesia Maspion
PT Penjaminan Infrastruktur Indonesia (Persero) (Indonesia Infrastructure Guarantee Fund or “IIGF”)
PT Aneka Tambang Tbk. (“ANTAM”)
PT Perkebunan Nusantara X
PT Krakatau Steel (Persero) Tbk
PT BASF Indonesia
PT Regus Business Centre Indonesia
Yayasan Jakarta Intercultural School
PT Affinity Health Indonesia
PT Nirvana Wastu Pratama
Skyworth Limited Group
PT Beiersdorf Indonesia
PT Kemang Jaya Raya
PT Wicaksana Overseas International Tbk. (“DKSH”)
PT Jakarta Industrial Estate Pulogadung
PT Garam (Persero)
- Assisted KADIN in preparing a proposal draft for implementing regulations of the Omnibus Law in the property sector.
- Assisted the Ministry of State Secretariat in reviewing and providing suggestions on the draft for the implementation of regulations of the Omnibus Law prior to the signing by the President of the Republic of Indonesia.
- Acted for NWP Retail in an asset purchase of five shopping malls located in five different regions owned by entities affiliated with Indonesia’s Lippo Group.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie has a full-service real estate practice that advises on structuring joint ventures, leasing and property development. The hospitality and manufacturing industries are key areas of focus for the practice, which is led by Bima Sarumpaet, who has a strong background in commercial property, hotels and resorts, industrial property and mixed developments.
‘One of the few Indonesian law firms that really specialises in real estate matters. Bima Sarumpaet has really specialised in this field and area.’
‘They have formidable expertise in their specialist area of law and also take into consideration the business interests of their client.’
‘Bima Sarumpaet is an expert in the property business, providing not only theoretical knowledge but also practical solutions based on his experience in the field.’
‘HHP’s real estate team always made themselves available any time we needed their legal assistance. They perfectly divided out work among their team members. On-time delivery of legal services was their other strength.’
‘Bima Sarumpaet is accommodating but focused and has demonstrated negotiation skills and legal knowledge of the real estate sector in Indonesia. He made himself available to us as the client.’
- Advising PT Krakatau Steel (Persero) Tbk and its subsidiary on various matters, including issues relating to land utilisation agreements.
- Assisted Keppel in the establishment of a joint venture company and in the acquisition by the JV company of land owned by MMP.
The real estate team at Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills has a strong client base that consists of multinational banks, real estate funds, manufacturing companies and hotel groups. The team handles investments and disposals, M&A, joint ventures, capital markets matters, financings and restructurings involving real estate businesses and interests. Founding partner Iril Hiswara and M&A expert Vik Tang lead the practice. Teguh Arwiko is also noted.
Iril Hiswara; Vik Tang
Other key lawyers:
‘Extensive knowledge of the real estate industry. Very helpful in providing insights and solutions, both from the legal and practical point of view.’
‘Vik Tang and Teguh Arwiko are very hands-on in handling projects. They are very focused on finding solutions for the client.’
‘One of the true real estate specialists in the Indonesian legal market. Good legal due diligence reports.’
‘Teguh Arwiko stands out for his Indonesian real estate knowledge. Vik Tang has good market and legal knowledge.’
PT Chitatex Peni (a member of RDTX Group)
Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC)
Marriott International, Inc
PT Indosat Tbk
PT Inti Bangun Sejahtera Tbk (IBS) / Sinar Mas Group
PT Telekomunikasi Selular (Telkomsel)
- Advised Telkomsel on the sale and lease back of 6,050 telecoms towers to Mitratel for $700m.
- Advised Genting Property Sdn Bhd on its joint venture with PT Sentul City for a mixed-use/commercial development.
- Advised Indosat on the sale and lease back of 4,200 telecoms towers to EdgePoint Indonesia for $700m.
Leks&Co specialises in real estate law and covers contentious and non-contentious issues. The practice advises clients on commercial property disputes, project acquisitions and general real estate matters. Managing partner Eddy Leks has extensive real estate experience and has been active in land acquisitions and compliance work. Ivor Pasaribu has a strong real estate dispute resolution practice.
Eddy Leks; Ivor Pasaribu
‘Very responsive and had good local knowledge of the market.’
‘Leks & Co is filled with energetic and passionate young lawyers with a broad and up-to-date scope of legal knowledge. They provide legal services that go beyond the client’s expectations and can be relied upon to explain updated rules and legislation.’
‘Eddy Leks provides satisfactory legal services, both verbal and written, supported by comprehensive legal knowledge and practice.’
‘Extremely responsive to clients. Provide accurate and timely legal services.’
PT Surya Palacejayaland
First Commercial Bank, Ltd
PT Pembangunan Deltamas
Creed Holdings Pte. Ltd.
PT Kasumigaseki Development Indonesia
PT Harapan Global Niaga (Keppel Land)
- Advised PT Surya Palacejayaland on drafting the build-operate-transfer agreement to develop plots of land in North Jakarta into commercial property.
- Advised Creed Holdings Pte. Ltd on its proposal to acquire 123 apartment units.
- Assisted PT Celebes Artha Ventura with checking land usage and historical land issues.
SSEK Legal Consultants advises on the full range of real estate law, with particular strength in the tourism and hospitality sectors. The practice is also active in advising on land acquisitions and leasing matters in the energy and natural resources sectors. Real estate specialist Denny Rahmansyah advises on M&A, joint ventures, hotel and resort developments, industrial land acquisitions, and office and retail leases. Michael Twomey has a strong commercial real estate development, hotels and project finance practice.
Denny Rahmansyah; Michael Twomey
‘Denny Rahmansyah is a master of the real estate sector and knows the law from A to Z.’
Princeton Digital Group (PDG)
TSH Resources Berhad (TSH)
Ladang Lekir Sdn. Bhd.
China Fortune Land Development (CFLD)
Mitsubishi Estate Co., Ltd.
Jones Lang LaSalle
- Acted for China Fortune Land Development (CFLD) in the acquisition of approximately 280 hectares of land located in Karawang Regency, West Java, in connection with a project to develop a new industrial city.
- Acted for Ovolo Group, an award-winning luxury boutique hotel brand headquartered in Hong Kong, on the acquisition of a resort hotel in Bali and the development of the property.
- Acted for TSH Resources Berhad, one of Malaysia’s largest plantation companies, as the seller in a $110.1m Indonesian landbank transaction.
Bagus Enrico & Partners (BE Partners) advises international investors and state-owned enterprises on a broad range of land acquisitions. The hospitality industry is a key area of focus for the practice, which is jointly led by Bagus Nur Buwono and Enrico Iskandar.
Bagus Nur Buwono; Enrico Iskandar
Budidjaja International Lawyers
Budidjaja International Lawyers advises on a broad range of real estate transactions for domestic and international clients. Key areas of work include the sale and purchase of property, residential and commercial real estate development, and real estate finance. Narada Kumara heads the practice and advises real estate and property developers, manufacturers and hotels.
Makarim & Taira S. advises foreign embassies, power plant developers, resort owners, oil and gas companies, and manufacturers on a wide variety of land acquisitions. The experienced Rahayu Ningsih Hoed heads the practice.
Rahayu Ningsih Hoed
‘Rahayu Ningsih Hoed and her associates were very professional and timely in delivering their legal services, with quick feedback on our questions.’
‘The team’s expertise, competence and integrity are the reasons why we trust Makarim & Taira S. to provide us with their consultancy services.’
PT Summitmas Property
Tuan Sing Holdings Limited
PT MEGA MANUNGGAL PROPERTY TBK.
Hilton Worldwide Manage Limited
Louvre Hotels Group
Millennium & Copthorne International Limited
- Advising Tuan Sing Holdings Limited on the legal framework for the project development, structure and documentation of the largest integrated property development project in Batam.
- Acted as the legal counsel of PT Mega Manunggal Property TBK as the borrower on a loan from Credit Suisse in the amount of $32.7m.
- Advised PT Summitmas Property on negotiating a cooperation agreement with PT MRT Jakarta, which covers the use of the company’s land for the construction of supporting facilities.
Makes & Partners has an active real estate practice that is fully integrated with its corporate, M&A, banking and capital markets offerings. Property finance is a significant area of focus for the firm. Fransisca S.H. is a key point of contact and has extensive experience of advising clients on domestic and cross-border real estate transactions. Bernardus Billy is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
PT Ciputra Development Tbk.
PT Agung Podomoro Land Tbk.
PT Ciputra Development Tbk.
PT Summarecon Agung Tbk.
Lippo Malls Indonesia Retail Trust
PT Pembangunan Jaya Ancol Tbk
PT Lippo Karawaci Tbk
PT Buana Makmur Indah
- Advised on the issuance of $200m of 7.5% guaranteed senior notes due in 2026 by Lippo Malls Indonesia Retail Trust.
- Advised on the issuance of up to SGD 150m 4.85% notes due 2021 by PT Ciputra Development Tbk, one of the biggest real estate companies in Indonesia.
- Advised PT Buana Makmur Indah, a subsidiary of PT Agung Podomoro Land Tbk, on the sale of two tranches of land with a total size of approximately 175 ha in Karawang.
Walalangi & Partners in association with Nishimura & Asahi has a broad real estate offering that covers land acquisitions, building and planning requirements, land sub-division, security structuring of land, and the leasing and sale of property. Luky I. Walalangi advises international investors on real estate investments and acquisitions in Indonesia.
Luky I. Walalangi
Mitsui & Co., Ltd.
Nippon Steel Corporation
Mitsubishi UFJ Lease & Finance
Tokyo Gas Asia Pte. Ltd and Tokyo Gas Co., Ltd.
Mizuho Bank, Ltd.
Tokyo Tatemono Co Ltd and Tokyo Tatemono Asia Pte Ltd.
DeClout Pte. Ltd.
PT Dhost Telekomunikasi Nusantara
Toyota Tsusho Corporation
PT Diamond Development Indonesia
SMBC Nikko Securities Inc.
PT TTLR (Indonesian subsidiary of Toyota Tsusho Corporation)
PT TREC (Indonesian subsidiary of Toyota Tsusho Corporation)
GS Yuasa Corporation
Aozora Bank, Ltd.
Saint-Gobain Indonesian subsidiaries
PT Resona Indonesia Finance
FamilyMart Co., Ltd.
- Advised Mitbana Pte Ltd on the sustainable Transit-Oriented Developments (TODs) in BSD City.
- Advised Leopalace21 Singapore Pte., Ltd., a leading Japanese real estate company, on the development of a residential apartment tower project in Bekasi, Greater Jakarta.
- Advised Toyota Tsusho Corporation and PT Toyota Tsusho Indonesia on a proposed joint venture with Takenaka Corporation for the management and development of the AXIA Service Apartment in Cikarang, West Java, Indonesia.