Labour and employment in Indonesia
ABNR Counsellors at Law covers the full spectrum of employment issues and is notably strong in the pharmaceuticals and manufacturing sectors. Nafis Adwani leads the team and is skilled in handling contracts, immigration issues, HR policies, redundancies and TUPE matters. Other key individuals from the team include Indra Setiawan, who is experienced in employment disputes, and Sahat Siahaan, who regularly acts on mediation and arbitration cases.
‘Solid team approach, always come up with holistic approach. ‘
‘They not only give advise based on what has been said in laws and regulations, but they will give us perspective in term of risk and how to mitigate for every suggestion given to us.’
‘ABNR not only have strong labor law capabilities and knowledge but they have very strong local know-how and wisdom.’
Johnson & Johnson
Merck & Co Inc
- Advised Merck Sharp & Dohme on the mass termination of more than 70 employees from the client’s pain and allergy division following the establishment of a global partnership between Merck and Italy-based pharma company Menarini.
- Advised Petroliam Nasional Berhad (Petronas) on the termination of 33 employees ahead of the liquidation of Petronas’ subsidiary in Indonesia
- Handled all employment-related aspects of Industrial Bank of Korea’s acquisition of PT Bank Agris and PT Bank Mitraniaga, and their ongoing merger.
- Handling all employment law aspects of the ongoing merger of Bank Dinar and Bank Oke Indonesia following their respective acquisitions by APRO.
- Represented Edelman in the District Court after the company was sued for severance pay by an individual following his termination.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie's full-service employment practice is predominantly active in the energy and natural resources, TMT, manufacturing, financial services and pharmaceutical sectors. Timur Sukirno leads the team and has extensive experience in employment litigation and arbitration. Also recommended is Alvira M Wahjosoedibjo, who focuses on general advisory work. Susie Beaumont left the firm and is now GC at OLX Group.
Other key lawyers:
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills represents international and domestic clients in both contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Narendra Adiyasa leads the team and is particularly active in the energy, infrastructure, banking, TMT and consumer sectors.
‘Responsive, prompt and proficient in English.’
‘Narendra Adiyasa and Ardyan Winanshah Pulungan are responsive and give practical advice.’
Goldman Sachs LLC
- Represented Nusa Halmahera Minerals in a defamation claim over a suspension letter issued by its operational director to an employee alleged to have committed fraud.
Makarim & Taira S. is highly experienced in contentious employment issues, particularly in cases involving mass terminations. Lia Alizia leads the team and is skilled in handling terminations, redundancies and immigration issues. Also recommended are Rahayu Hoed, who advises on terminations, and Alexandra FM Gerungan, who is experienced in terminations and health and safety-related cases.
‘Makarim & Taira S compromises of individuals who have a strong and deep knowledge of their own field and support one another.’
‘They respond swiftly to emails and urgent requests.’
Kerry Ingredients Indonesia
Save the Children
Cushman & Wakefield
Lixil Group Corporation
Fred Hollows Foundation
Médecins Sans Frontières
- Represented Oceaneering International in a manpower dispute at the Tanjung Pinang Industrial Relations Court as the defendant.
- Advised Flexicon Singapore on its proposed hiring from Indonesia
Soemadipradja & Taher represents a number of multinational companies in both contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Founding partner Rahmat Soemadipradja co-heads the team and has a longstanding reputation in the mining industry. Also leading the team is Retno Muljosantoso, who advises on mass terminations, pensions, immigrant workers and the employment aspects of M&A.
Rahmat Soemadipradja; Retno Muljosantoso
- Advised Great Eastern on the employment aspects of its acquisition of a 95% stake in PT QBE General Insurance Indonesia.
- Acted as Indonesian counsel to PT Merck Tbk on the transfer of employees as a result of the worldwide sale of a Merck division.
- Advised Kalbe Morinaga Indonesia on its expatriate employees.
- Assisted oil and gas company Neptune with the potential replacement of the head of its representative office in Indonesia.
- Assisted seaport operator IPC on amending and preparing revised collective labour agreements and internal regulations.
Sudjono & Rekan Law Offices
Sudjono & Rekan Law Offices is highly experienced in employment and industrial relations, with particular expertise in handling mass terminations and fraud. Hernoko Wibowo leads the team and is particularly strong in the manufacturing industry.
Pt. Toyota Astra-Motor
Anugrah Pharmindo Lestari
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive
G4s Security Services
Adi Sarana Armada
Dannemann Ag/Burger Söhne Holdings
Hero Makmur Primatama
Dsv Transport Indonesia
G4s Cash Services
Honda Prospect Motor
Orix Indonesia Finance
Axerna Renewable Energy
Pembangunan Jaya Ancol
Zurich Insurance Indonesia
Sharp Electronics Indonesia
Riamas Housing And Property
- Advised Toyota-Astra Motor on its agreements with its outsourcing company
- Advised Riamas Housing and Property on a mass termination of employees. (AM CHECK – client name?)
- Advised Anugerah Pharmindo Lestari on a fraud case committed by one of the client’s employees.
- Representing DSV Transport Indonesia in relation to inspections by the Ministry of Manpower.
- Assisted Hero Makmur Primatama with the mass termination of employees.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners is highly experienced in employment litigation and ADR, with particular expertise in internal fraud and embezzlement cases. Ahmad Maulana leads the team and is an expert in manpower law, particularly in relation to mediation and arbitration cases.
British Standard Institution
CIMB Sekuritas Indonesia
Harpindo Mitra Kharisma
Imerys Asia Pacific
Indo Premier Sekuritas
Asian Development Bank
- Advised the British Standards Institution in a dispute between its Indonesian subsidiary (BSI Indonesia) with the labour union of BSI Indonesia.
- Assisted CGS-CIMB Sekuritas Indonesia with an internal investigation in relation to a suspicion of employees’ manipulation of CGS-CIMB’s trading system.
- Assisted CGS-CIMB Sekuritas Indonesia with structuring its employee benefits package and advised on minimum wage obligations in Indonesia.
- Advised Imerys Asia Pacific on a broad scope of employment-related queries.
- Advised Indo Premier Sekuritas on its internal employment-related documents, including company rules and regulations, the employee handbook and the employment agreement template.
Budidjaja International Lawyers
Budidjaja International Lawyers advises international and domestic clients on employment contracts, collective bargaining agreements, regulations and terminations. Juni Dani leads the practice and is highly experienced in employment matters and industrial relations.
SSEK Legal Consultants is highly skilled in advising on employment contracts, labour agreements and the employment aspects of M&A. Rusmaini Lenggogeni co-heads the practice and focuses on general advisory services as well as employment transfers and terminations. Also leading the team is Fahrul Yusuf, who is an expert in handling the employment aspects of M&A.
Rusmaini Lenggogeni; Fahrul Yusuf
Universal Music Group
Fox International Channels
Procter & Gamble
Ford Motor Company
- Acted as Indonesian counsel for Grab on the acquisition of Uber’s business and assets in Indonesia, which included employee transfers and terminations.
- Advised Rentokil Initial 1927 plc on the acquisition of PT Pink Services Indonesia, including employment issues related to the acquisition.
- Representing Kohler Group and its subsidiaries in all their corporate, commercial, regulatory and employment law affairs in Indonesia.
- Advised online grocery and food delivery service Honestbee on employment law issues in Indonesia.
- Providing ongoing employment law advice to global media company Bloomberg.
Widyawan & Partners
Widyawan & Partners is very strong in employment advisory work and represents a number of international clients within this field. Yolanda Hutapea heads the team and is especially active in sectors such as financial services, TMT, retail and energy.
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Insurance Group of Australia
- Assisting Unilever Indonesia with employment matters in respect of the transfer of its spreads business in Indonesia.
- Assisting Commonwealth Bank of Australia with employment matters, particularly in relation to employees’ right arising from the change of control in PT Commonwealth Life following its acquisition by FWD Group.
- Assisting RGE with reviewing a template employment agreement which will apply to all its subsidiaries, subject to local law requirements.