ABNR Counsellors at Law advises major manufacturers such as Daimler, Merck & Co and Daimler on contentious and non-contentious issues. Nafis Adwani leads the practice and advises on contracts, immigration, HR policies and outsourcing. Indra Setiawan also heads up the team and an expert in industrial relations, and has acted before the Industrial Relations Court and Supreme Court.
Labour and employment in Indonesia
- Advised a contractor to a sports-shoe manufacturer that supplies major international brands for employment and manpower issues.
- Advised on manpower issues to a multinational manufacturer of cellphones and other devices with a major operation in Batam, Indonesia.
- Advised on manpower issues to the Indonesian operation of a well-known German luxury car manufacturer
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners has a notably strong disputes offering and has acted before the Labour Court, Industrial Court and Central Jakarta District Court, and has also acted on out of court settlements and arbitration tribunals. Ahmad Maulana leads the practice and is highly skilled in employment investigations, suspected fraud and industrial relations.
NYK Line Indonesia
PT General Motors Indonesia
PT BMW Indonesia
Asian Development Bank
British Standards Institution
Imerys Asia Pacific Group
PT Harpindo Mitra Kharisma
PT Indo Premier Sekuritas
PT CTS-CIMB Sekuritas
- Advised Inalum on court case brought by the termination of its employee.
- Advised Johnson & Johnson on employee restructuring issues.
- Assisted Indo Premier with implementing a comprehensive set of internal regulations to support the company’s efficient employee management and HR processes.
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie advises on general employment issues as well as major restructurings, transactions and industrial relations disputes. The team acts for both local and multinational clients, most notably from sectors such as technology, natural resources and manufacturing. Firm Chairman and renowned litigator Timur Sukirno leads the practice and works alongside Andi Kadir for contentious matters. Alvira M Wahjosoedibjo leads the advisory side of the practice and advises on a range of issues including compensation and benefits, overtime, leave policies and social security.
Hiswara Bunjamin & Tandjung in association with Herbert Smith Freehills has been very active in advising its multinational client base on internal restructuring and wrongful dismissals. Narendra Adiyasa leads the Employment, Pensions and Incentives team as well as its dispute resolution team, with expertise in both litigation and arbitration. Sectors of particular interest include energy and infrastructure, banking, consumer and technology.
Bridgestone Sumatra Rubber Estate, PT
New Zealand Embassy
Hutchison Ports Indonesia
Aurecon Indonesia, PT
Newcrest Mining Limited
Makarim & Taira S. 's broad employment practice has recently been the trusted advisor on several mass terminations. Lia Alizia is the key name of note and is expert in both contentious and non-contentious work and has been instructed by major multinational companies in the manufacturing, consumer, technology and hospitality sectors.
Save the Children
Lixil Group Corporation
Oil Spill Response
Although a multidisciplinary practice, Soemadipradja & Taher ’s particular strengths lie in cross-border issues such as advising foreign companies on its Indonesian operations as well as assisting employers with foreign employees. Retno Muljosantoso is an expert in employment and corporate and as such is highly skilled in advising on the employment aspects of corporate transactions. Foreign counsel Robert Reid has a similar focus and is particularly strong in the energy and natural resources sector. Rahmat Soemadipradja is a respected name for employment disputes, most notably in the natural resources sector.
HOOQ Digital Pte Ltd
PT Espay Debit Indonesia Koe (Dana)
Oxford University Press (OUP)
WeWork Companies Inc.
- Advised HOOQ Digital which went into liquidation and had to terminate employees.
- Advised Espay Debit Indonesia Koe on its employee benefit and reward programme.
- Advised OELT Limited on the employment aspects of setting up a representative office in Indonesia.
Sudjono & Rekan Law Offices is uniquely positioned in the market as an employment specialist firm and advises major employers such as Toyota Astra Motor and Mitsubishi Electric Automotive. Managing partner Hernoko Wibowo leads the practice and has advised on high profile terminations, strikes and has acted before the Industrial Relation Court and Supreme Court.
‘Solid team, works closely with client and has a personable approach.’
Anugerah Pharmindo Lestari (member of Zuelig Pharma Holdings-Singapore)
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive Indonesia
G4S Security Services
Adi Sarana Armada Tbk
PT Hero Makmur Primatama
PT DSV Transport Indonesia
G4S Cash Services
PT Honda Prospect Motor
Tech Mahindra Ltd
CNOOC SES Ltd
G4S Cash Systems Sharp Electronics Indonesia
DHL Logistics (PT. Birotika Semesta)
INDOPORLEN REFRACTORIESPT. RIAMAS Housing and Property
- Advised Toyota-Astra Motor on all employment matters, including the permit of expatriate employees.
- Advising Mitsbushi in relation to a strike caused by employee bonuses being postponed due to the Covid 19 pandemic.
- Representing the PT. G4S Security Services in Industrial Relation Court of Central Jakarta District Court for termination process of one of its senior employees.
Budidjaja International Lawyers
Budidjaja International Lawyers stands out for its expertise in health and safety compliance, but also has been very active in contentious dismissals and fraud investigations. Managing partner Tony Budidjaja leads the team and is an experienced advocate, mediator and arbitrator
Hogan Lovells in association with Dewi Negara Fachri & Partners has seen an increasing workload in employment, primarily prompted by the uptick in restructurings due to the Covid 19 pandemic. Most mandates are handled by managing partner Chalid Heyder, who is an expert in restructuring, and associate Teguh Darmawan, who specialises in employment.
Other key lawyers:
SSEK Legal Consultants ’ full-service corporate model extends to general employment matters and is very active in advising on the employment aspects of major transactions and restructurings. Fahrul Yusuf leads the practice and has advised on the aforementioned areas with additional expertise in advising on contracts, executive pay, data privacy and regulatory compliance.
Ford Motor Company
Fox International Channels
Procter & Gamble
Universal Music Group
- Assisted General Motors with employment issues related to the planned exit of its manufacturing business from Indonesia and the restructuring of its business in the country.
- Work with Kohler on everyday employment matters for its operations in Indonesia.
- Successfully assisted a multinational company with a contentious immigration and employment matter involving investigations by the immigration and manpower offices.
Widyawan & Partners
Widyawan & Partners has been very active in advising on employee contracts, terminations and immigration issues. Yolanda Hutapea leads both the corporate and employment practice which makes her well placed to advise on the employment elements of transactions and restructurings.