Entertainment in Germany
With a focus on digitalisation topics BEITEN BURKHARDT enjoys 'an excellent reputation' for its gaming expertise and advises international companies in interactive entertaiment on IP, broadcasting, press, copyright and competition law. The team also acts for various broadcasting companies in media law matters and is well versed in sports marketing. Andreas Lober is 'outstanding' in the gaming setcor and has longstanding expertise in disputes around youth protection. Axel von Walter gives 'successful and competent' advice on e-sports. Lars Querndt joined from Bird & Bird.
DFB Deutscher Fußball-Bund e. V.
ZeniMax Germany GmbH, ZeniMax Ltd., ZeniMax Inc.
- Provided comprehensive advice to Epic Games on German media law and the coordination of various proceedings in Europe.
- Advised DFB on the admissibility of sports betting advertisement and sports sponsoring.
- Continued to advise Antenne Bayern on media law, including internet matters, and also on competition law, broadcasting law and antitrust law.
Bird & Bird often represents clients in the media industry in copyright disputes, but also acts in licence law matters and at the intersection with antitrust law. Practice head Joseph Fesenmair is the contact for sports law matters, another pillar of the practice.
‘Creatives team with the ability to find solutions under consideration of the law in related practice areas taking into account constitutional aspects.’
‘Niels Lutzhöft, Ferdinand Weiss and Christoph Hendel offer highly competent advice which focuses on the key topics.’
International tätiges IT-Unternehmen
Philip Morris GmbH
ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG
- Provided Bavarian broadcasting, Bayerische Rundfunk, with antitrust advice in the area of sports advertisement.
- Represented Take-Two Interactive at court due to copyright infringement.
- Represented the ProSiebenSat.1 group, particularly ProSiebenSat.1 Pay TV and 7Sports, in contractual disputes and copyright disputes due to unauthorised broadcasts.
Boehmert & Boehmert
Boehmert & Boehmert is particularly well versed in copyright issues and the team surrounding Jan Bernd Nordemann frequently handles landmark proceedings n this field. Clients stem from the film, music, internet, book and magazine publishing sectors and also often seek the firm' advice on license matters and at the intersection with IT and data protection. Anke Nordemann-Schiffel and Martin Schaefer are also part of the team.
Brehm & v. Moers
Brehm & v. Moers' renowned practice covers the entire spectrum of media production and distribution and the team is traditionally known for its expertise in film financing, production processes and broadcasting matters. The firm also has strong IT-related capabilities, which manifests itself in advice on gaming und platforms, and expertise at the intersection with corporate and employment law. Stefan V. Moers and Guido Hettinger are the key figures, and the team also gained Katharina Domnick, who focuses on advertisement and the press as well as film and music, from Noerr in January 2020.
‘Guido Hettinger is very professional and always available for important negotiations and matters that require a lot of advice. We particularly appreciate his solution-oriented approach to every case. He is a dealmaker.’
‘Very good firm specialised on complicated questions concerning personal rights, which closely aligns its work to the particular film projects. The firm is also well-versed in terms of other sections of the film industry and serves with reliable advice. This description particularly applies to Stefan von Moers.‘
At CMS advice on media law and digital transformation are at the centre of the firm's services, whose target clients include media associations, online platforms and TV stations. Besides key competencies in media regulation and copyright law the team is also well regarded when it comes to advising on innovative business models and e-sports. The practice often handles contentious media law matters (particularly regarding disruptive business models), which since 2019 fall under the umbrella of the new firm-wide TMC Litigation Group. Sebastian Cording heads the TMC practice, while Winfried Bullinger, Ole Jani and Pietro Graf Fringuelli are the key figures within the media practice.
Börsenverein des deutschen Buchhandels e.V
Bundesverband Deutscher Zeitungsverleger e.V.
Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH
Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
EWE TEL GmbH
Getty Images International
Gruner + Jahr GmbH
MCT Agentur GmbH
Sieben ARD-Anstalten (u.a. NDR, BR, WDR, MDR), Allianz der deutschen Film- und Fernsehproduzenten, Bundesverband Regie
Turtle Entertainment GmbH
World ESports Association (WESA)
- Provided comprehensive advice to the Deutsche Fußball Liga, the German football league, on e-sport matters (particularly regarding a new tournament of the virtual Bundesliga) and on media regulatory issues.
- Successfully represented the Federal Republic of Germany and the Film Promotional Agency (Filmförderanstalt) as intervening party in EJC proceedings by Netflix and Apple against the EU Commission on the part of the Commission and the Federal Republic of Germany regarding the EU state aid approval of Germany’s Federal Film Subsidies Act (FFG).
DLA Piper's 'excellent, always available' media law team advises its clients in the digital media, film, TV and music sectors on classic media, regulatory and copyright issues and on digitalisation. The firm's expertise ranges from gambling regulation and licensing agreements to gaming, media transactions, and broadcasting and online issues. Stefan Engels heads the practice which recently saw the promotion of Christoph Engelmann to counsel.
‘Kai Tumbrägel: Excellent lawyer and very good strategist.’
‘Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt represents fundamental regulatory issues with outstanding expertise and an impressive success rate in the higher courts.’
Axel Springer SE
Discovery Communications Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG
dpa – Deutsche Presseagentur GmbH
GROUP ONE MANAGEMENT PTY LTD
Heinrich Bauer Verlag KG
Jochen Schweizer Project Holding
Magic Leap Inc.
Mr. Green & Co. AB
ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE
Sat. 1 Satelliten-Fernsehen GmbH
Stillfront Group AB
Tele München Group
Trustly Group AB
Wort & Bild Verlag
- Continued to advise Amazon on various online advertisement measures and competitions.
- Provided comprehensive advice to the international publisher of board and other games Asmodée regarding the acquisition of the ADC Blackfire Entertainment Group.
- Advised and represented the dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH on copyright matters among others.
FREY Rechtsanwälte's Cologne-based practice has a clear focus on media law advice for the sports industry. The team surrounding Dieter Frey and Matthias Rudolph is particularly experienced in questions around content production and use, licence and cooperation agreements, including broadcasting licences, and media regulatory notification procedures. Clients include companies in the motor sports and football industries as well as radio stations, online media services and artists.
‘Fast reaction time when enquiries are made; pragmatic, commercially oriented solutions‘
‘Matthias Rudolph replies to enquiries in a timely manner, his good knowledge also spans new topics, and he provides written reports quickly‘
Deutsche Telekom AG
Deutsche Bahn AG
ALSO Deutschland GmbH
Ströer SE & Co. KGaA
1. FC Köln GmbH & Co. KGaA
VLN Veranstaltungs- und Vermarktungs GmbH & Co. KG
„Ja zum Nürburgring“ e.V.
Nürburgring TV GmbH & Co. KG
ADAC Travel & Event Mittelrhein GmbH
Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährdende Medien
Humanizing Technologies GmbH
Deutsche Nationalbibliothek AöR
Airport Parking GmbH
bigSmile Entertainment GmbH
Faßbender Tenten GmbH & Co. KG
Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
Hofnetz & IT Services GmbH
Landgard Service GmbH
- Continued to advise sporttotal gmbh, which displays amateur sports Germany-wide via a special camera system, on various copyright and media law matters.
- Continued to advise divibib GmbH, a provider of digital library services in Germany.
- Advised 1. FC Köln on media law matters.
GRAEF Rechtsanwälte has comprehensive experience in copyright, music, publishing and IT law matters, and the entire spectrum of film and TV law. The team also has expertise in the gaming and internet sectors. Ralph Oliver Graef is the key figure.
Other key lawyers:
Greenberg Traurig Germany's media law expertise includes film, music and broadcasting law but also regulatory and copyright issues and more often than not the firm's advice is of a cross-border nature. The group surrounding Stefan Lütje tackles topics such as adapting to the changing European framework, the development of business models, the drafting of contracts, the regulation of platforms and questions around licensing and streaming offers. Media law litigation is another main pillar of the practice.
ProSiebenSat.1 Media/Red Arrow International
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Blue Sky Entertainment
Dreamworks, CBS, Paramount Pictures, MTV Networks
Antennenbetreiber (Aeos, Baum Broadcasting, Deutsche UKW, Kio und Milaco)
- Handled a dispute between network operators and antenna operators about the appropriate conditions for the access to antennas.
- Advised Blue Sky Entertainment BV on the sale of the rights to the film “Little Lord Fauntleroy” to ARD / Degeto, including proof of the chain of title.
- Represented the film and media companies Dreamworks LLC, CBS Corp., Paramount Pictures Corp., MTV Networks in the KirchMedia insolvency.
Hengeler Mueller is particularly active in contractual and copyright law issues and contentious matters for a multitude of platform and cable network operators, but also advises media companies on transactions. Among other topics, the team focuses on copyright compensation disputes, collective copyright and online music law. Albrecht Conrad heads the practice.
Bundesarbeitsgemeinschaft der freien Wohlfahrtspflege (BAGFW)
Bundesvereinigung der Musikveranstalter e.V.
Hauptverband des deutschen Einzelhandels (HdE)
CTS Eventim AG Co. KG
KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. Ltd.)
Tele Columbus Pyür
Vodafone Kabel Deutschland GmbH
- Provided an opinion and advice to the federal working group for non-governmental welfare services (BAGFW) on copyright remuneration in retirement homes.
- Assisted the Federal Association of Organisers of Musical Performances (Bundesvereinigung der Musikveranstalter e.V.) with negotiations with the collecting society for music labels and performers (Verwertungsgesellschaft von Musiklabeln und Interpreten, GVL) about mechanical rights for music performances, reproduction and public reproduction.
- Provided antitrust advice to CTS Eventim AG Co. KG in connection with several actions against orders by the Federal Cartel Office.
HERTIN & Partner
HERTIN & Partner is considered an excellent address for copyright disputes and subsequent claims to remuneration and often handles landmark proceedings in this field. The team also has expertise in contractual and IP law matters. Besides domestic and international companies, associations and online platforms, the client portfolio primarily includes scriptwriters, dubbing actors, directors and actors. Sandra Wagner, of counsel Paul Hertin and Hermann-Josef Omsels are the key figures.
‘Prof. Hertin is an outstanding lawyer with exceptional knowledge of copyright. Brilliant in academic work and also in court. In France one would say: hors catégorie!‘
Verband Deutscher Drehbuchautoren (VDD)
Spiele-Autoren-Zunft e.V. (SAZ)
Bundesverband Schauspiel e.V. (BFFS)
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek's media expertise focuses primarily on the distribution of media content for clients in the sports, music and media industries. The team is also well versed in gambling law and at the intersection with IT and IP. Michael Schmittmann heads the practice.
Access Europe GmbH
Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH (DFL)
Deutsches Musik Fernsehen
GSA – Projekte GALILEO und EGNOS
JARR BV / Veltmeijer Group
Kiesgrube Event GmbH
LfK Landesanstalt für Kommunikation Baden-Württemberg (LFK) ./. Radio 3
- Advised the Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH (DFL) on the broadcasting rights to football events in 2020.
- Advised Deutsches Musik Fernsehen, a TV station focusing on music, on TV redistribution.
- Advised PROdigitalTV on general contracts of members with collecting societies such as GEMA, the German association for the protection of musical performance and recording rights.
Heussen's media law know-how, which is complemented by the firm's closely linked IT and IP practices, manifests itself in particular in matters concerning new media: The team regularly advises online-based companies, start-ups, agencies, associations and domestic and international IT and media companies on social media, online advertisement and e-commerce. Other expertise lies in the sports area. Hermann Waldhauser and Marcus Hotze are the key figures.
The DIGITALE GmbH
Frank Otto Medienbeteiligungs GmbH
KG Hamburg 1 Fernsehen
RTL2 Fernsehen GmbH & Co. KG
Deutsche Werbefilmakademie e.V.
BBU Verband Berlin-Brandenburger Wohnungsunternehmen e.V.
GdW Bundesverband deutscher Wohnungs- und Immobilienunternehmen mbH
CMPro Content Media Production GmbH
- Advised Braindogs Entertainment GmbH on media law matters.
- Provided media law advice to the association BBU Verband Berlin-Brandenburger Wohnungsunternehmen e.V. regarding the design of an apartment exchange platform.
- Provided a foreign OTT streaming service with regulatory and copyright advice.
K&L Gates LLP
In the media segment K&L Gates LLP primarily acts for broadcasting organisations, collecting societies, streaming services, art galleries, influencers and sports associations, which the team surrounding Martin von Albrecht advises comprehensively on copyright, media and antitrust law matters. Media law litigation is another cornerstone of the practice which has an impressive track record in landmark proceedings. Friederike Gräfin von Brühl is the main contact for art law and the team also has expertise in music and film matters.
Other key lawyers:
VG Media GmbH
Fox Networks Group Germany
ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE
- Provided RTL Interactive GmbH with copyright advice regarding the online use of music, particularly for the new TV platform TVNow, and negotiated settlement agreements with GEMA, the German association for the protection of musical performance and recording rights, surrounding the compensation for music rights.
- Represented VG Media in a test case against the ZPÜ, the Central Organisation for Private Copying Rights, at the Higher Regional Court Munich due to the participation of broadcasting companies in private copy levies.
- Provided comprehensive media and copyright advice to Fox International Channels Germany, including on questions surrounding distribution, data protection and youth protection.
Klinkert Rechtsanwälte PartGmbB advises on a diverse range of topics in the media segment from copyright and media law to press, licensing and competition law matters. The team also successfully handles issues at the intersection with IT and data protection. Practice head Piet Bubenzer has deep know-how in connection with e-commerce.
Other key lawyers:
1 & 1 Mail & Media
Deutscher Fachverlag GmbH
Diverse Ärzte und Zahnärzte gegen Jameda
- Represented 1 & 1 Mail & Media in a copyright test case at the Copyright Arbitration Board at the German Patent and Trademark Office (DPMA) against VG Media.
- Regularly provide advice to an association in copyright and media law matters, particularly the evaluation of new legislative proposals.
- Advised a leading music streaming service in connection with the drafting of general terms and conditions, their data protection declaration, the design and execution of advertisement measures, the drafting and negotiation of contracts with business partners, and the representation in disputes, including with consumer protection authorities.
KVLEGAL gives 'highly competent' advice to clients in the film, TV and music industry regarding media and trade mark matters and also handles complex disputes 'with great care'. The 'extremely professional and very qualified' team surrounding the 'absolute expert' Urs Verweyen frequently acts for IT companies in proceedings around equipment and storage media levies, but also advises platforms, publishing companies, actors, journalists, authors and musicians. Christlieb Klages is another key contact in the team.
‘Urs Verweyen and his team always seek a practical and pragmatic approach and complement each other perfectly in their individual specialisms.’
‘Urs Verweyen is an outstanding lawyer and thinker, who also manages to deal with complicated matters in a non-lawyer-friendly manner. His pragmatic and always goal-oriented working method result in an effective and successful cooperation.’
‘One is palpably in very good hands. And the team’s successes speak for themselves.’
‘All lawyers have an excellent knowledge of the media landscape and are quick in their assessment of informationen on behalf of the client. The cooperation between the lawyer and the client is particularly good.’
‘Christlieb Klages has deep expertise in copyright and media law and longstanding disputes experience in this area. His personal engagement and commitment go way beyond the norm.’
‘A top team with high skills and a great service orientation. All round good support and flow of information. Qualified answers within the shortest timeframes.’
‘The team members are the key to the firm’s success. Verweyen is an excellent lawyer, who deals intensively with legal cases, brings together like-minded people in associations and again and again motivates his clients throughout the years despite throw-backs in order to ultimately take leaps forward in the matter.’
‘The expertise and experience in film and media law are enormous.’
‘Christlieb Klages is a very good lawyer and masters his area of law well. He has good availability and appropriately prioritises urgent matters. His industry expertise is enormous and he is good at assessing and evaluating matters.’
Akademie der Künste
Drhebuhautor Bernd Roeder
Berliner Dom (Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin)
Easy Does It
Extra Computer GmbH
Hyrican Informationssysteme AG
Inter Sales GmbH
Milla & Partner GmbH
Rebuy recommerce GmbH
Steidl Verlag (STEIDL GmbH & Co. KG)
Zentralverband Informationstechnik und Computerindustrie e.V. (ZitCo)
Verband zur Rücknahme und Verwertung von Elektro- und Elektronik-Altgeräten e.V. (VERE e.V.)
- Provided comprehensive and also political advice to ZItCo e.V., a leading association of small and mid-sized computer manufacturers, and its members on the reprographic levy on devices and storage media.
- Continue to advise the documentary film confortium Arbeitsgemeinschaft Dokumentarfilm (AG Dok), including providing advice to 900 filmmakers and assisting AG Dok with collective pay negotiations and overall agreements.
- Advised and represented Wortmann AG on all matters regarding the reprographic levy on devices and storage media.
Besides its work in press and publishing law, Lausen Rechtsanwälte is also well versed in media, copyright, licensing and trade mark matters. Matthias Lausen, who is well known for handling various test cases for the further development of copyright and media law, heads the practice together with Ursula Feindor-Schmidt, who has particular expertise in licensing law. Kerstin Bäcker is the contact for German and international music law matters.
- Represented Elsevier and Cyando in EJC proceedings surrounding the liability of online platforms.
Lentze Stopper stands out for its 'particular and comprehensive' know-how of the sports sector and is able to demonstrate 'extensive experience' in advising high-profile sports clubs and associations on media, trade mark, licence and antitrust law in the context of sports events and ticketing. Gregor Lentze, Martin Stopper and Felix Holzhäuser act for clubs, associations, sportspeople and agencies regarding contracts and sponsoring rights and the transfer of players. The firm also has competencies in relevant litigation. Tim Bagger von Grafenstein was recently promoted to associate partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘Tim Bagger von Grafenstein is an engaged and extremely competent and thoughtful associate partner, who in the past years has built up particular expertise in eSports.’
‘Very practical with focus on realistic and pragmatic solutions.’
‘Gregor Lentze – comprehensive understanding of all problems regarding sports events and relevant topics.’
‘Tim Bagger von Grafenstein – very good knowledge and innovative approach in ticketing enforcement.’
Deutscher Fußball-Bund (DFB)
Deutsche Fußball-Liga (DFL)
FC Bayern München
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Deutscher Golf-Verband (DGV)
Bayerischer Fußball-Verband (BFV)
Basketball Bundesliga (BBL)
Deutscher Ski-Verband (DSV)
Deutscher Ringer-Bund (DRB)
International Shooting Federation (ISSF)
game – Verband der deutschen Games-Branche
Marcus Högl Management (MHM)
- Provided comprehensive advice to the German Football Association DFB in connection with the application, planning and excecution of the UEFA EURO 2024 in Germany.
- Represented DFB in various actions as defendant against players agents regulations and related areas.
- Advised FIFA in the context of the bidding process for the Women’s World Cup in 2023.
McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP's TMT practice handles copyright, media and transactional matters in the entertainment sector and has particular expertise regarding IPTV programme distribution, internet ad blockers and distribution and collective agreement law. Especially noteworthy is the team's experience in contentious matters, including in landmark proceedings. Wolfgang von Frentz and Ralf Weisser head the practice.
- Advised Constantin Medien AG on the takeover of Nexway, Match IQ and Sporttotal.
- Continued to advise Deutschlandradio against Unitymedia BW and Unitymedia Hessen/NRW in proceedings surrounding the continued payment of cable feed-in charges.
- Successfully represented VG Media in a dispute about free TV distribution in more than 2000 German hospitals.
Morrison & Foerster LLP
Morrison & Foerster LLP's 'very reliable, energetic' media law team acts on the entire spectrum of transactional, contractual and distribution law matters and also handles regulatory and copyright issues for the media sector. Christoph Wagner regularly assists domestic and international media companies with high-profile transactions. Besides advising on traditional film and TV series matters, frequently with cross-border elements, Christiane Stützle is expanding her advice on media content and platforms and at the intersection with IT. Andreas Grünwald is particularly active in the regulatory segment in broadcasting and antitrust law-related matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Andreas Grünwald is a particularly valuable partner: extremely reliable, quick and knowledgeable.’
‘Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of the industry.’
‘Christoph Wagner can be ascribed nothing less than being a top advisor in the field of media law on the German law firm market.’
Die Jäger Health Group
United Internet/ 1&1
Twentieth Century Fox und Tochtergesellschaften
Sony Music Entertainment Germany
- Advised Twitch Interactive, Inc on media regulatory issues and public policy.
- Advised A+E Networks UK on Brexit.
- Assisted Jäger Health Gruppe GmbH with the production and distribution of a B2B telenovela as new format for training content for the medical and pharmaceutical sector.
In the media segment Noerr stands out both for its interdisciplinary advice and sector-specific expertise. The firm advises on copyright and regulatory issues, financing, transactions, media antitrust law and contractual matters. The team surrounding Johannes Kreile acts for numerous German and international film producers but also advises high-profile clients in the music, video game and gaming industries. Hans Radau is well versed in media transactions and financings. Katharina Domnick left for Brehm & v. Moers in January 2020.
‘Highly skilled in media law. Very correct in calculating work loads in terms of time and money.’
‘Johannes Kreile: profound knowledge, competent, entirely reliable, comprehensive view of media law topics, antitrust and copyright law. One of the best advisors.’
‘Ulrich Michel – extremely high level of expertise, very reliable and courteous manner of working, enormous negotiation skills.’
‘Expeditous communication when taking over a mandate; always approachbale, solid and leading expertise in copyright law and the law of collecting societies, particularly in media and entertainment law.’
‘The team is very quick and capable of acting and always has another expert at hand for tricky questions. Very reliable and on schedule! Totally service-oriented. Queries are always dealt with in a timely manner. High competence and quick understanding for concrete circumstances.’
In the entertainment segment Osborne Clarke distinguishes itself in particular with its strong and widely recognised service offering in the gaming sector. Practice head Konstantin Ewald advises German and international games manufacturers on copyright matters, market entries, acquisitions and disputes. Beyond the computer and video games industry the Cologne and Hamburg-based team also assists TV channels, publishers and media groups with topics such as e-commerce, data protection and IP as well as with M&A transactions in the digital media area.
Axel Springer SE
Gruner + Jahr Gruppe
ProSiebenSat. 1 Media
WW (vormals Weight Watchers)
- Continuous advice to publishing group Gruner + Jahr on numerous media and copyright, ad and advertisement law, license and contractual matters, including recently the launch of new titles, digital projects, license agreements etc. as well as diverse litigation.
- Ongoing advice to ProSiebenSat. 1 Media SE on corporate transactions and on e-commerce, data protection and IP.
- Advice to Gameforge (global leader in the browser games segment); now also regarding complex litigation and ongoing corporate advice.
Reed Smith regularly advises international media companies and online platforms on transactions, copyright and licence law matters and can also point to extensive dispute resolution expertise in this context. Alexander Klett is the key figure in the Munich office after Stephan Rippert left for Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH in September 2020.
Yahoo (jetzt: Verizon Media)
Scheuermann Westerhoff Strittmatter
Scheuermann Westerhoff Strittmatter advises clients, including production companies, advertisement agencies, content platforms and celebrities in film and music, on the entire spectrum of media law issues with expertise in both digital and traditional media. The team surrounding Angelika Strittmatter and Oliver Poche is well versed in matters in connection with the arts and apps.
Other key lawyers:
SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte has 'excellent expertise' regarding film, music and online platforms and advises domestic and international media companies, financial institutions and film studios on topics such as market entry, financings, distribution structures and contracts. The team surrounding Norbert Klingner is also continuing to expand its services in the e-sports and augmented and virtual reality segments. The very well regarded Martin Diesbach is considered an outstanding advisor in the area of film financing and when it comes to representation in media law disputes. Recently the music law expert Götz Schneider-Rothhaar joined the practice from FUHRMANN WALLENFELS.
‘Andreas Peschel-Mehner and Florian Hensel are outstanding experts in online platform matters.’
‘The firm is broadly positioned in the film and TV sectors as hardly any other firm in Germany. The deep industry expertise allows for advice and exchange at eyelevel.’
Blue eyes Fiction
Fundacio Gala- Salvador Dali
Ndf neue deutsche Filmgesellschaft
X-Filme Creative Pool
Wiedemann & Berg
- Advised Allianz Deutscher Produzenten – Film & Fernsehen e.V., the alliance of German film and television producers, on the EU satellite and cable regulation and EU directive on copyright.
- Provided the Parisian film and TV series dubbing studio Dubbing Brothers with comprehensive advice on the purchase of FFS Film- & Fernseh-Synchron GmbH in Berlin and Munich.
- Assisted the Oscar winner Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck with all media-related matters in Germany and also in the US, most recently in connection with his Oscar nominated film “Never Look Away”.
Straßer Ventroni Deubzer Freytag & Jäger
The representation in copyright litigation, product marketing and associated competition law issues, the drafting and negotiation of contracts, and licensing matters: All that constitutes Straßer Ventroni Deubzer Freytag & Jäger's core activity in the media sector. Large German and international telecoms, e-commerce and TV companies seek out the highly regarded group, whose expertise was further bolstered with the arrival of Rolf Moser, CEO of Bavaria Media, as of counsel in October 2019. Robert Straßer, Stefan Ventroni and Stefan Freytag are the key figures in the team.
Deutsche Telekom AG
Condé Nast Verlag
FC Bayern München
Anschutz Entertainment Group
Tele München Gruppe
Keshet International (Tresor TV)
- Advised the market-leading Isreali TV company Keshet Tresor TV on its market entry and expansion in Germany.
Taylor Wessing's media expertise particularly stands out for its advice on digitalisation and regulatory issues, although the team also advises its clients - media corporations, start-ups and investors - on copyright and contentious matters. The firm's services also include advice on gaming, gambling and e-sport matters. Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche heads the TMT practice and Thanos Rammos was promoted to partner.
Other key lawyers:
‘Thanos Rammos is a very strong partner: pragmatic, business-oriented, to the point and a very good communicator.’
Bertelsmann SE & Co KG
Grand City Properties
Jam City Inc.
JUKIN Media Inc.
Wargaming Group Limited
- Advised benchmark group on the investment in DeepL, one of the leading providers of online translation services.
- Continued to advise the leading online gaming provider Wargaming Group Limited in Europe and worldwide on matters such as consumer protection and e-commerce (including loot boxes), payment, e-sports and tournaments.
- Advised the Berlin-based game developer Wooga on its sale to Playtika.
UNVERZAGT Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB
Unverzagt is a recognised player in the film and TV sector, where the team surrounding Harro von Have advises prominent domestic and international production companies, investors, film distributors, TV stations and individuals on financing, production and distribution matters. The group also has broad experience at the intersection with IT and IP and frequently assists clients with online, sports and music law matters.
White & Case LLP's media expertise is closely connected to the firm's IT and telecoms practices: The team surrounding Norbert Wimmer advises the social media and cable network sectors on trade mark, antitrust, telecoms and state aid law matters. The core of the practice also revolves around the representation of Facebook and Unitymedia in litigtation.
- Represented the second largest German cable network operator, Unitymedia group, in a large dispute with the public broadcasters regarding distribution contracts.
- Representation of Facebook in all disputes, including media law disputes, outside the US since 2011.