CMS' strong media practice is leading in its advice to online platforms, content producers and media companies. Its specialisation in contractual and copyright law is at the heart of its advice portfolio and partly rests on the expertise and visibility of lawyers such as Pietro Graf Fringuelli, Ole Jani and practice head Sebastian Cording. The latter has a particular focus on sports law and advises the German football league, UEFA (along the firm network) as well as the World E-Sports Association among others; clients can also rely on his IT knowledge. Regulatory issues, litigation and media transactions are other central pillars of the practice. Patrick Ehinger is one of the rising stars with regards to design of digital business models as well as acquisition and use of rights and licences for media usage.
Entertainment in Germany
Transactional firm Noerr has broad expertise in the media sector. Particularly in the transactional sphere the team assists several media companies with acquisitions as well as with the formation and realisation of joint ventures, yet copyright, licensing and sponsoring matters also belong to the practice's core competencies. The group's market relevance additionally shows in its commitment to most current topics such as tariff contracts for short-time work in the film industry, where the team's expertise in employment and corporate law is of particular value. In the content space, the team around Johannes Kreile advises producers as well as streaming providers. The practice further focuses on gaming advice in relation to both betting regulation as well as video games and e-sports. Of counsel Ulrich Michel specialises in copyright, film, TV, music, advertisement and PR as well as in online law. Katharina Domnick joined Brehm & v. Moers in January 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P.
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Sony Music Entertainment Germany GmbH
Heinrich Bauer Media Group
Bavaria Fiction GmbH
Constantin Medien AG
- Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. LP / Show German HoldCo GmbH (new operating company): Acquisition of Wiedemann & Berg TV GmbH; Mediawan joins Leonine as a minority shareholder.
- Sony Pictures Entertainment: Comprehensive media, subsidy, corporate and tax law advice to SPE on the establishment of a joint venture for the production and exploitation of the film " The Girl in the Spider's Web ", as well as on the drafting and negotiation of all transaction and production contracts.
- Evan GmbH: Comprehensive legal and tax advice to Evan GmbH on the restructuring and expansion of the blockchain network "evan.network" initiated and managed by Evan GmbH, the issuing of crypto tokens, the agreement and redesign of comprehensive license agreements and implementation.
SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte continues to be one of the most important media firms in Germany. In recent years, the practice's traditional core expertise in film advice has been supplemented by new elements which are now contributing to the group's continuous success. While the service offering was expanded by music rights expertise, the advice to the film industry continues to attract the highest praise and merit. Here, Mathias Schwarz was able to negotiate a tariff contract for short-term work during film productions, which lightened the burden of filmmakers unsettled by the pandemic; thereby, the group's expertise in employment law was particularly important. The highly regarded Martin Diesbach advises the largest companies worldwide on media and copyright law as well as regulatory and licensing issues. And practice head Norbert Klingner specialises in film and series productions where he represents producers, animation service providers and global distribution companies.
'The SKW Schwarz media team is technically excellent, business fluent, results-oriented. Top law firm. '
'Norbert Klingner is very strong in national and international media law. He also has a lot of experience on the distribution and broadcast side, so that he can ideally support legal issues. He is also very well networked with colleagues from other specialist areas. '
'Continue to set the market standard in excellent advice on all media law issues.'
'Norbert Klingner has put together an extremely friendly, courteous and technically outstanding team. The office is well organized. Even with a high volume of work, urgent matters are always prioritized according to the situation. Extremely committed, highly qualified advice on the diverse range of topics in international licensing law. When it comes to specific expertise from other specialist areas (labor law, insolvency law), he draws on other colleagues. Really excellent job. '
'Norbert Klingner is an extremely committed lawyer with many years of experience. One of the best media lawyers in Germany. He is always up to date with the latest regulations in copyright law, the Film Funding Act, etc. He advises extremely far-sighted and professionally flawless. A special feature is that he is extremely transparent to his clients and tries to convey his knowledge at all times. '
Fundacio Gala- Salvador Dali
Blue eyes Fiction
Wiedemann & Berg
The Match Factory
Epic Games (“Fortnite”)
Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Koch Films: Comprehensive advice and support, drafting of contracts and negotiations for the purchase of a large medium-sized film distributor in Germany (KSM) Ideal-typical combination of SKW's film and media law competence with the coprorate / M&A area
- Expedia: Negotiation and creation of a contract for influencer services in the context of social media posts and blog posts
- Epic Games (game "Fortnite"): Comprehensive advice and increasing mandate with regard to the various, newly acquired subsidiaries of Epic Games. Important client who fits into our IT / technology-driven client portfolio, also with regard to eSports. Currently ongoing: Cross-selling towards IT & digital business.
Stefan Engels and his media team are one of DLA Piper's most dynamic practices nationwide. The group acts both on consulting as well as forensic level and offers solutions to the most current issues such as content distribution and innovative business models, but also on more traditional matters such as copyright, licensing and contracts as well as regulatory issues and right of privacy. Gaming, including gambling and video games, sports and e-sport are additional mainstays of the practice and also the focus of Kai Tumbrägel. The group represents clients such as TV stations and publishers in media litigation before the highest courts. Alongside its traditionally strong transactional practice, music right represents a growing practice for the group.
Other key lawyers:
'Excellent broad coverage and good interlinking in the field of commercial legal protection and media law, so that advice and support is guaranteed from a single source.'
'Stefan Engels is particularly valued as an excellent lawyer and very good strategist and tactician, who is extremely well networked and has very in-depth knowledge of the media industry and the media business. His commitment and the ability to look beyond the specific mandate and to fully support the client should be emphasized. '
Axel Springer SE
Bauer Media Group
COPA 11 GmbH
LEGO System A/S
Mr. Green & Co. AB
ProSiebenSat.1 TV Deutschland GmbH
Sat.1 SatellitenFernsehen GmbH
Stillfront Group AB
Television Event and Media Marketing AG
Trustly Group AB
- Stillfront Group AB: Advising the global game publisher based in Stockholm on various transactions in the gaming sector.
- Trustly Group AB: Comprehensive advice and representation of the leading global fintech and payment services company on issues of gaming law as well as regulatory and media law.
- Sat.1 Satellite TV GmbH: Representation of the leading television broadcaster in four leap revision proceedings before the Federal Administrative Court. Basic questions about permanent advertising.
Greenberg Traurig Germany's media advice is not limited to regulatory advice, but spans the whole array of media law including the development of business models, contractual design and media litigation. Owing to its close cooperation with the firm's IT, employment, tax as well financing, telecoms and antitrust practices, the group is considered a full-service advisor for the media sector. The team maintains intensive client relationships with companies from the film and TV, digital media and streaming industries - both in Germany as well as internationally - and is able to competently advise them on matters such as film financing and film funding, music rights and licensing. Stefan Lütje heads the practice; in the market, his name is associated with his advice to Netflix on local content productions. Rising star and senior associate Laura Zentner focuses on copyright and media law as well as on IP and contractual law.
Other key lawyers:
Joyn (ProSiebenSat.1; Discovery)
Rlaxx TV (Foxxum Group)
- John Strelecky: Negotiation of the option and script contract for the film adaptation of the bestselling book by John Strelecki “The Why Café” (“The Café at the End of the World”) by Rat Pack / Constantin. Advising the author and ensuring his involvement in the development and production process for the first film adaptation of the world bestseller as a German production.
- carte blanche International GmbH film and television production: Advice on all production, financing and sales law issues, in particular personal and liability issues, for the coproduction “Die Grittenen” with the rbb (film adaptation of the book of the same name about the refugee crisis 2015).
Lausen Rechtsanwälte's team is particularly renowned for its advice on audio, music and IT-related copyright issues. The group represents content providers in proceedings up to ECJ level, most recently in a prominent proceeding pertaining to the liability of online platforms with user-generated content; here, the highly regarded Kerstin Bäcker and IT and press and publishing lawyer Ursula Feindor-Schmidt led the team. Martin Schippan also acts forensically for publishers, newspapers and magazines on a very high level. Practice head Matthias Lausen intensively advises media companies from the US, Europe and South Africa on the licensing of digital platforms. Tim Kraft joined the firm in March 2020 as salary partner after leaving his in-house position at SUPER RTL.
'Absolutely reliable and quick to deal with even tricky topics that require in-depth training.'
'Kerstin Bäcker thinks very business-oriented and can formulate clear guidelines that can be adhered to. Thus she is an extremely valued partner and advisor who really helps to make decisions safely through her competence and good assessment of situations. Employees of the law firm not only represent an excellent professional, but are also welcomed and respected as representatives of the client in discussions with external negotiating partners. '
'Very reliable team, very good knowledge of copyright law, uncomplicated, friendly and efficient cooperation.'
'Very experienced lawyers in copyright and media law.'
'Martin Schippan is a very experienced and committed lawyer with a high level of expertise.'
Boxine GmbH (Tonies)
Börsenverein des Deutschen Buchhandels
Coalition for responsible sharing (Gruppe 17 internationaler Verlage, u.a. Elsevier, IEEE, American Chemical Society, Wolters Kluwer)
MINT Digital, Zürich
Verlagsgruppe Random House GmbH
SESAC New York
Stage Entertainment GmbH
SUISA Digital, Lichtenstein
Süddeutsche Zeitung GmbH
SWMH (Südwestdeutsche Medienholding GmbH)
Thinxpool TV GmbH / MyTeam TV (TV-Sender auf Magenta Sport mit exklusiver Übertragung der Basketball-Bundesliga, Eishockey-Bundesliga, Fußball 3.Liga, Frauenfußball Bundesliga
- Elsevier (et al.) ./. Cyando AG, which with Peterson ./. YouTube was connected.: Basic proceedings before the ECJ on the liability of platforms with user-generated content (YouTube, Instagram, Facebook) and share hosts with global significance.
- Boxine GmbH: Comprehensive support for all licensing and copyright issues in connection with these expansions and the expansion of the portfolio and business model.
- Süddeutsche Zeitung GmbH and two SZ journalists: Defense of one of the most renowned German newspaper publishers as well as freedom of the press in a damage claim for 78.5 million euros.
With a longstanding positioning among the strongest firms in the media law space Morrison & Foerster LLP was able to confirm the sustainability of its practice and its traditional assistance with cross-border media transactions and strategic developments came to fruition once again. The transactional as well as the global media practice revolves around Christoph Wagner, who advises high-profile clients from Germany and particularly from the US (Silicon Valley and Hollywood), while latter instructions emerge via its global firm network. The highly renowned Christiane Stützle, a specialist lawyer for copyright and media law, heads the global film and entertainment group. She advises financing, production and distribution projects stemming from the traditional film industry, although the team also acts in content- and technology-related as well as regulatory matters. The latter segment is Andreas Grünwald's area of expertise.
Other key lawyers:
'What is unique about the practice is the combination of profound knowledge of the art industry as well as its concerns and issues and the in-depth advice at the forefront of German and European copyright law. The entire team is committed far beyond the usual level, is always up to date with legal and industry developments and Christiane Stützle provides excellent advice. '
'Christiane Stützle knows and understands the challenges of the art industry and always finds excellent, pragmatic and well-founded solutions for often very complex issues. She supports with tireless efforts in the so important enforcement of the constitutionally guaranteed freedom of art in its constantly evolving form in the digital age. Your well-founded and great commitment is particularly valuable. '
Twentieth Century Fox
- Twentieth Century Fox/20th Century Studios: Advising the existing client on the acquisition of Twentieth Century Fox by Disney, with a view to the integration of Fox into the Disney Group, in addition to ongoing advice on operational business.
Straßer Ventroni Deubzer Freytag & Jäger
Compact boutique offering Straßer Ventroni Deubzer Freytag & Jäger encounters a broad resonance in the local Munich as well as national media market. The group is especially renowned for its high-quality advice to large German telecoms companies, TV stations and TV producers, but the team also assists startups, sport associations and IT companies. Copyright, media and licensing matters, which represent the central pillars of the firm's service portfolio, are handled by co-practice head Robert Straßer among others; additionally, Stefan Ventroni is considered a 'very valuable legal advisor' for music rights, while Stefan Freytag focuses on matters pertaining to the Unfair Competition Act, online law, press and publishing contracts as well as disputes.
'The law firm is characterized by a technically well-founded and at the same time practical, always business-oriented advice.'
'Stefan Ventroni has many years of experience in music law. He is very well networked with all the important players in a sometimes confusing market. He provides excellent technical advice without losing sight of the interests and goals of the business. '
'Very well put together team with very broad knowledge of all legal aspects relevant to the media industry and media companies – from media law to corporate law; very fast response time and very high level of commitment to provide quick and competent advice; very personal, trustworthy and personable contact at eye level with the client. '
'Stefan Ventroni represents a very valuable legal professional ethos. He is also very keen to find a settlement in legal disputes; honestly advises against legal disputes if he does not consider them to be expedient, so always acts very much in the interests of the client; is able to explain and convey legal issues excellently. '
'Very good legal knowledge (especially in copyright and media law), very good technical understanding and very high availability.'
'Stefan Ventroni has excellent knowledge of copyright and media law and also has an exceptionally high technical understanding. That makes him very valuable as a legal advisor. '
Anschutz Entertainment Group
ARD ZDF Medienakademie
Condé Nast Germany GmbH
d4l data4life (vormals HPS Gesundheitscloud)
Deutsche Telekom AG
FC Bayern München
Keshet Tresor TV Germany / Tresor TV
Loewe Verlag / gondolino Verlag
Massachusetts Medical Society
ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE
Tele München Gruppe
Wolters Kluwer Deutschland
- Deutsche Telekom AG: Regular advice on copyright, media and licensing law, in particular on the acquisition of content licenses and cooperations in the field of subscription video on demand.
- Keshet Tresor TV Germany: Legal advice on the entire market launch of the Israeli TV market leader and further expansion on the German market.
- Wolters Kluwer Germany GmbH: Copyright and publishing law, competition law, trademark law and legal representation.
Under the leadership of Axel Freiherr von dem Bussche, Taylor Wessing's media practice assists online platforms, publishing companies and startups with matters pertaining to innovative business models, freedom of speech as well as issues touching on IP law. However, the TMT practice of the firm is much broader and therefore able to advise media companies and internet providers not only on ongoing issues, but also on legislative processes and disputes before European courts. In Hamburg, Gregor Schmidt further focuses on copyright, e-commerce and transactions. In Frankfurt, Svenja-Ariane Maucher acts for longstanding clients from the video gaming sphere in IT-related matters. Jonathan Kropp and two other lawyers made salary partner.
'The firm is fast and solution-oriented, and pragmatic and business-minded.'
'Gregor Schmidt is quick, pragmatic, technically highly competent and personally very pleasant.'
'Very competent, company-oriented and economically thinking with extensive industry experience.'
'Christian Frank: well connected, highly experienced. Jonathan Kropp: very practice-oriented, good entrepreneurial thinking, very helpful, pragmatic and highly competent. '
Bertelsmann SE & Co KG
FC Bayern München
Grand City Properties
NetBet (Online Casino)
NKB / G One
Sky Deutschland Fernsehen GmbH & Co. KG
Wargaming Group Limited
- Nintendo: Comprehensive and ongoing advice to one of the world's leading games companies on numerous issues relating to eCommerce, consumer protection, copyright, competition law, youth protection law and licensing and distribution law; including legal support for the development and distribution of various games and apps.
- Kolibri Games: Advising one of the leading developers of mobile free-to-play games and one of the market leaders in so-called "idle games" on the takeover by Ubisoft, one of the largest video games companies in the world.
Brehm & v. Moers
Brehm & v. Moers' numerous media clients particularly appreciate the group's broad and interdisciplinary set-up including film-specific contractual law, music and video streaming matters as well as projects at the interface of media, corporate and employment law. Thereby, the team works 'comprehensively on a very high standard' from its three offices in Berlin, Frankfurt and Munich. Its advice on gaming, IT, digital business and media transactions complements the group's very expansive advice offering which also attracts e-sport players, e-sport teams as well as organisers of e-sport events and influencers. In 2020, the practice was further strengthened by the arrival of Katharina Domnick from Noerr and Matthias Grundmann made partner.
'You always work as a team on difficult questions. Highly professional and super accurate. '
'Partners and associates work in various specialist areas at a very high level.'
'Katharina Domnick; Ideal cast for fundamental decisions. '
'Stefan v. Moers: Very good industry knowledge and communication, great expertise, quick grasp of complicated issues. Strategist and very good control with goal-oriented implementation and evaluation of tasks. Very pleasant and experienced advisor. '
"Guido Hettinger: Great know-how in the area of production and with regard to technical issues accompanying the mandate, great experience and practice in the field of new media."
'Matthias Grundmann: Particularly good in the area of production agreements and international production agreements along with financing issues. Good networking in the field of collecting societies and funding. Excellent knowledge of details in this area. '
Barefoot Films GmbH
Billy Media Berlin GmbH
Boosey & Hawkes
Chimera Entertainment GmbH
Deck 13 GmbH
Deutsche Columbia Pictures Filmproduktion GmbH
Sony Pictures Entertainment Deutschland GmbH
DZ Bank GmbH
European Game Composers
Exozet Berlin GmbH
FFP New Media GmbH
Florin Filmproduktion GmbH & Co. KG
Gamer Legion GmbH
Mies van der Rohe Estate
Neue Bioskop Film GmbH
Neue Gestaltung GmbH
Riva Filmproduktion GmbH
Warner Bros. Pictures (UK)
Wüste Filmproduktion GmbH
- Assemble Entertainment GmbH: Publisher for computer games, who won the German developer award in 2017. Comprehensive advice on drafting development contracts and terms and conditions.
- Boosey & Hawkes // Concord Musik Publishing: Advice on media employment law and support for the acquisition of the Sikorski Music Publishing Group on copyright and copyright law.
- Deutsche Columbia Pictures Filmproduktion GmbH and Sony Pictures Entertainment Deutschland GmbH: Comprehensive advice for two German film productions.
K&L Gates LLP
K&L Gates LLP supports media industry clients with a broadly skilled TMT team in Berlin. The service offering includes a combination of media and IT law: here, copyright lawyer Friederike Gräfin von Brühl and practice head Martin von Albrecht are particularly well versed. The majority of its advice portfolio includes comprehensive advice to broadcasting companies, collecting societies and online platforms on issues pertaining to the TV, film and music sectors. Additionally, the group represents clients in proceedings related to blank media compensation and dubbing compensation, even before the Federal Supreme Court.
Other key lawyers:
VAUNET e.V. ./. GEMA wegen Music-on-Demand
Sanrio GmbH (Hello Kitty)
RTL Interactive GmbH
VG Media GmbH – RTL bzw. Sat.1 ./. Netlantic
VG Media GmbH ./. WEG Ferienpark Glockenberg
VG Media GmbH ./. ZPÜ
Maxdome (Joyn) ./. KM
ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE
- Joyn GmbH: Comprehensive advice on the rights to be licensed by collecting societies. Joyn is an innovative offer that offers video-on-demand as well as live TV and catch-up TV and thus falls under several GEMA tariffs.
- VAUNET ./. GEMA Weigh Tarif Music-on-Demand: Overall contract procedure before the copyright arbitration board at the DPMA to review a 50% rate increase by GEMA.
- VG Media ./. WEG holiday park Glockenberg: Legal proceedings with industry-wide significance, which the case law of the BGH has put into perspective with regard to the copyright liability of condominiums.
The compact media team at McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP also takes on big and challenging tasks. The experienced lawyers around Wolfgang von Frentz and Ralf Weisser act in ambitious proceedings, particularly with regards to internet ad blocks, transmission and tariff rights as well as copyright, thereby attracting German as well as international market leaders from the media industry as clients. Von Frentz also advises on matters touching on IT law as well as on transactions and Weisser focuses on regulatory issues in the TMT sector.
Global Icons LLC – Brand Licensing Agency
IP Deutschland/ RTL Interactive
VAUNET | Verband Privater Medien e.V.
ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG
Sport1 Medien AG
- ProSiebenSat1 Media AG: Representation in proceedings before the European Court of Justice (together with the fashion house Fussl) to decide whether nationwide television programs may market different local advertisements, which is currently not possible.
- VAUNET │ Association of Private Media eV: Representation in the course of the takeover of Vodafone / Liberty Global and Unitymedia.
- IP Germany / RTL Interactive: Successful representation in proceedings against Eyeo GmbH at the Federal Court of Justice for the use of the online ad blocker "Ad-Block-Plus".
BEITEN BURKHARDT has one of the most renowned gaming teams in Germany that is frequently instructed by international firms as their preferred local partner for copyright, compliance and youth protection law. Andreas Lober is the key contact and advises on the marketing and distribution as well as on copyright protection of video games, but also on contractual and litigious matters. Gaming lawyer Wotjek Ropel is also recommended. In the content space, the client base is comprised of social media players, streaming providers and influencers, with SPIEGEL Online and SPIEGEL TV being new clients of the team.
‘Andreas Lober is still one of the best-informed and networked gaming lawyers in Germany. Thanks to his comprehensive overview of the industry, he is able to draw conclusions very quickly. ‘
‘The Beiten Burkhardt gaming team has an excellent reputation in the industry and is used by a number of top gaming studios and publishers. Andreas Lober has a broad knowledge base and is very responsive. ‘
‘Wotjek Ropel provides excellent advice.’
DER SPIEGEL GmbH & Co. KG (SPIEGEL ONLINE)
SPIEGEL TV GmbH
manager magazin new media GmbH
RTL Mediengruppe Deutschland
Deutscher Fußball-Bund e. V. und DFB GmbH
1&1 Drillisch AG
CORRECTIV-Recherchen für die Gesellschaft gemeinnützige GmbH
- Epic Games: Europe-wide and comprehensive long-term advice to one of the currently most important companies in the games industry. Advice on all questions arising in Europe. The highlight from 2019 was the advice in connection with the Fortnite World Cup as the world’s most highly endowed e-sports tournament.
- Supercell: Europe-wide and comprehensive permanent advice to one of the currently most important companies in the field of mobile games (publishers of “Brawl Stars”, “Clash Royale” and “Clash of Clans”) in relation to technically complex copyright disputes.
- ANTENNA BAVARIA: Legal support and protection of the award-winning 15-part podcast production “Secret Files Peggy”. Those affected had asserted claims against the accessibility.
In Munich, Bird & Bird LLP fields a strong practice for media, entertainment and sports law. With its particularly sophisticated sports law advice, the team has been able to win the trust of notable German and international clients that are seeking advice on league promotion and relegation, disciplinary measures as well as testimonial contracts. Here, practice head Joseph Fesenmair is the key contact. On the contrary, Markus Körner is adept in media, competition and copyright law as well as in regulatory issues; this expertise is put to use in high-profile projects for clients such as Deutsche Medienagentur and GEMA, but also for IT and telecoms companies.
Other key lawyers:
Amazon Game Server
Diverse Wettanbieter mit Sitz innerhalb und außerhalb der EU
Großes deutsches Telekommunikationsunternehmen
International tätiges IT-Unternehmen
Nationale Anti-Doping-Agentur eines anderen Staates
Philip Morris GmbH
PRS for Music
- International Committee: Strategic advice on all trademark law issues and other issues, including procedures.
- ProSiebenSat.1 Group: Comprehensive advice on transactional IP matters as well as representation in various contractual and copyright disputes.
- Take-Two Interactive: Copyright lawsuit before the Regional Court of Cologne for the production and distribution of a “Mod Menu”.
Both in Cologne and nationwide, FREY Rechtsanwälte has successfully established itself as a media boutique offering specialising in sports law. The team advises sports event organisers, football clubs, advertising and marketing agencies, radio stations as well as several online media services on matters pertaining to usage and licensing of digital content, contractual design, live streaming services and advertisement as well as on copyright litigation. Dieter Frey and Matthias Rudolph head the practice.
Deutsche Telekom AG + verbundene Unternehmen
Deutsche Bahn AG + verbundene Unternehmen
Splendid Medien AG
Deutsche Nationalbibliothek AöR
SPORTTOTAL AG + verbundene Unternehmen
ekz.bibliotheksservice GmbH + verbundene Unternehmen
ESBD – eSport-Bund Deutschland e.V.
ALSO Deutschland GmbH
Ströer SE & Co. KGaA + verbundene Unternehmen
1. FC Köln GmbH & Co. KGaA
VLN Veranstaltungs- und Vermarktungs GmbH & Co. KG
„Ja zum Nürburgring“ e.V.
ADAC Mittelrhein e.V. + ADAC Travel & Event Mittelrhein GmbH
bigSmile Entertainment GmbH
Faßbender Tenten GmbH & Co. KG
Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
Veranstaltergemeinschaft Langstreckenrennen Nürburgring OHG
- Telekom Germany GmbH: Representation in a high-volume procedure before the arbitration board under the Collecting Companies Act at the German Patent and Trademark Office, regarding the applicability of the VG Media tariff to the retransmission of TV programs within the Entertain platform and the appropriateness of the tariff.
- Splendid Medien AG: Advice on a high-volume factoring deal in the international film licensing business; Preparation of extensive draft contracts, support in contract negotiations, processing in relation to lending banks and licensees.
- SPORTTOTAL AG (sporttotal.tv gmbh): Advice on the implementation of a new radio station (# included): brand license agreement and feed-in agreement with Telekom, legal support in the regulatory and operational implementation.
Hengeler Mueller's copyright, internet and media team behind Albrecht Conrad is 'unbeatable' in these areas. The team particularly stands out for its litigious activity before supreme authorities, including the European Court of Justice, in matters related to publicity campaigns, uploaded content liability and responsibility for the usage of photos. High-profile clients include international internet service provider such as Google and Ubisoft, but also national players such as the Federal Association of Music Organisers and Vodafone Kabel Deutschland.
'The team around Conrad Albrecht can't be beat in the area of copyright / internet / media. Albrecht Conrad combines academic depth with outstanding industry knowledge and top-notch service. Both the quality of the advice and the service level are excellent. The achievements of Albrecht Conrad and Wolfgang Spoerr in the field of litigation are also outstanding. '
'The outstanding partners are Albrecht Conrad and Wolfgang Spoerr. The team of associates and counsel around Albrecht Conrad has an extraordinarily high quality across the board. Tobias Schubert should be mentioned in particular. Also: Fabian Seip, Amit Datta and Matthias Berberich. All of them are excellent copyright and media lawyers. This team not only delivers outstanding performance (and service), it is also great fun to work with. '
The small Frankfurt-based media team at Klinkert Rechtsanwälte PartGmbB splits its advice offering between its copyright and sports law practice, which are under the leadership of Piet Bubenzer and André Soldner respectively. The service portfolio includes licensing and other contracts, the assessment of business models as well as the representation of German, internationally operating companies in litigious matters. Sports lawyer Hermann Schlindwein left the firm in Dezember 2019 to practice independently.
1 & 1 Mail & Media
BMI Building Group
Deutscher Fachverlag GmbH
Deutsche Fußball Liga
Diverse Ärzte und Zahnärzte gegen Jameda
documenta und Museum Fridericianum gGmbH
Hochtief AG / Nexplore
Magine Germany GmbH
Napster (Rhapsody International/Napster Luxembourg)
- 1 & 1 Mail & Media: Copyright dispute before the copyright arbitration board at the DPMA against VG Media over ancillary copyrights for press publishers.
- Deezer SA: Drafting of terms and conditions, drafting and implementation of advertising measures as well as drafting and negotiating contracts with business and content partners, collecting societies, and in disputes, including copyright disputes and disputes with consumer protection organizations.
- Deutscher Fachverlag GmbH media group: Copyright and press law, information technology and all related data protection issues.
Compact, Berlin-based firm KVLEGAL stands out for acting in copyright, design, press, IT and media law proceedings on a technically high level and thereby holding its ground against considerably bigger competitors. Urs Verweyen 'competently, constructively and successfully' advises on model procedures, such as in proceedings related to equipment and storage media levies or appropriate further compensation in the film industry. 'Excellent' copyright lawyer Christlieb Klages assists film and media production companies among others.
Other key lawyers:
'Precision and Knowledge.'
'Christlieb Klages is undoubtedly one of the outstanding copyright and personal rights lawyers of his generation. He is characterized by fast response and a sure sense of what is needed. Coupled with the in-depth knowledge he brings with him, this results in a very good mix, both when it comes to protecting your own rights and defending yourself against unfounded attacks. '
'You immediately notice that you meet experts here who know the subject very well and are always on hand to offer advice and assistance. The law firm benefits from the fact that they have always successfully stood up for clients in numerous cases. The success of this firm speaks for itself! '
'Urs Verweyen is an extremely competent lawyer who is well versed in all areas of media law thanks to his extensive specialist knowledge. The cooperation is always very pleasant, goal-oriented and successful. '
'Fabian Haslob – a very pleasant man who, with his specialist knowledge and wealth of experience – especially for me in the field of film and television – does an excellent job. He exudes a calm that immediately gives you the feeling that you are in very good hands in the office and that you are receiving the best advice. '
'In practice, there is a lot of specialist knowledge and experience, the accessibility is very good and the communication itself works great.'
"Christlieb Klages works very solution-oriented, is very easy to reach and also helps with very urgent matters at short notice."
'High level of competence in the entire team.'
Akademie der Künste
Berliner Dom (Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin)
Dunja Hayali (TV-Journalistin, ZDF Morgenmagazin u.a.)
Easy Does It
Extra Computer GmbH
Hrspielstudio XBerg GmbH
Hyrican Informationssysteme AG
Inter Sales GmbH
Metro Markets (eCommerce-subsidiary of Metro Group)
Milla & Partner GmbH
reBuy reCommerce GmbH
Steidl Verlag (STEIDL GmbH & Co. KG)
Verband zur Rücknahme und Verwertung von Elektro- und Elektronik-Altgeräten e.V. (VERE e.V.)
Zentralverband Informationstechnik und Computerindustrie e.V. (ZitCo)
- ZItCo eV, Wortmann AG and others: Since 2009 comprehensive, also political advice and representation of the leading interest group of medium-sized computer manufacturers, and the members (including the largest independent computer manufacturer Wortmann AG, Extra Computer GmbH; Inter Sales GmbH etc.) on device and storage media sales and representation in numerous proceedings before arbitration board UrhR, OLG Munich and Federal Court of Justice; new takeover of advice to the association for the return and recycling of waste electrical and electronic equipment (VERE eV).
- AG DOK: Contract lawyer for the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Dokumentarfilm, including advising over 900 filmmakers; in 2019/20 collective bargaining and negotiation of overall agreements.
- FinCompare GmbH: Comprehensive advice and legal representation of the fast-growing Berlin FinTech start-up.
Following Ulrich Baumgartner's departure in October 2019, 'grand seigneur of gaming lawyers' Konstantin Ewald took over the leadership of Osborne Clarke 's media and digital entertainment group. The 'very competent' team includes the 'extremely committed' Felix Hilgert, who made partner in January 2020, as well as other lawyers acting in matters touching on IP, data protection and M&A. Global market leaders in the gaming industry as well as companies that focus on the German market rely on Ewald and his team both for ongoing advice as well as for complex disputes. The client base also includes TV channels, publishers and media groups.
'The team par excellence in Germany for everything to do with the computer game industry. Very competent team as a whole. Konstantin Ewald and Felix Hilgert have a high level of industry expertise and a large, global network in the computer game industry. Great negotiation skills and proactive economic thinking. '
'Very committed, very topical with legal developments. Konstantin Ewald, calmly always in control of the situation. Felix Hilgert, extremely committed. Adrian Schneider, solid and reliable cooperation. '
'Leading law firm in Germany for games law with extensive expertise in contract law, youth protection law and data protection law.'
'Konstantin Ewald is the Grand Seigneur of the games lawyers, who knows everyone and knows everything and can combine this with his legal expertise. Felix Hilgert is deservedly a new partner in the entertainment team and has developed a keen sense for the needs of the games industry and therefore advises quickly, easily and practically. '
Activision Blizzard Deutschland GmbH
Game – Verband der deutschen Games-Branche
ProSiebenSat. 1 Media SE
Sony Interactive Entertainment
- AppLovin, Inc.: New territory under youth protection law with great media attention (“simulated gambling”).
- Facebook: Ongoing advice on media law issues, media agency contracts, etc.
- Gameforge AG: Advising the world market leader in browser games; now also for complex litigation issues and long-term corporate law advice.
Baker McKenzie's practice is characterised by its comprehensive media regulatory, copyright and trademark competencies which the team also utilises forensically. The firm is increasing its activity in the film, music and video-on-demand spheres and also advises a high number of social media clients on diverse media and IT matters. Its international gaming practice is the group's third focal point for which Munich-based Sebastian Schwiddessen, who assists clients with matters in the EMEA region, is the main contact. Holger Lutz in Frankfurt heads the group.
Other key lawyers:
Sony Pictures Entertainment Deutschland GmbH
Apple / iTunes
Google & YouTube Deutschland
CD Project Red
CD Project Red
- Valve Corporation: Ongoing media regulatory advice including court and administrative proceedings, especially on youth protection, gambling and e-commerce law in Germany and several other markets.
- Sony Germany: Comprehensive advice on media regulation, copyright and trademark law, including court and administrative proceedings in Germany and several markets.
- Google and YouTube Germany: Ongoing media regulatory advice, among other things, on the protection of minors and film tax law in relation to YouTube, Google Play Movies, YouTube Kids, YouTube Movies and (newly acquired) Google's new video game service “Google Stadia”.
Boehmert & Boehmert
Boehmert & Boehmert's former practice head Jan Bernd Nordemann left the team to found his own firm Nordemann in December 2019. The remaining team members include renowned copyright lawyers such as Martin Schaefer.
GRAEF Rechtsanwälte's team behind Ralph Oliver Graef is particularly valued for its assistance with gaming matters. In this area, the group recently attracted several new clients such as an organiser of several e-sports tournaments and leagues. Additionally, the team advises on film and copyright law, including acquisitions of TV programmes, assistance with internationally co-produced series projects as well as litigation.
HERTIN & Partner
The experienced Paul Hertin heads HERTIN & Partner's media team. Sandra Wagner advises on issues and cases related to copyright and media law, trademark and design law as well as on internet law and the right of privacy.
Other key lawyers:
Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek's media teams are based in Düsseldorf and Cologne and are respectively led by Michael Schmittmann and Dominik Eickemeier, who took on this role in 2019. The group's client base includes TV stations, broadcasting companies, lottery companies and events organisers which the team advises on the optimisation of copyright licenses, retransmission rights and contractual design among other matters.
Hermann Waldhauser heads Heussen Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's IP, IT and media team and advises clients from traditional industries such as film, TV, radio, music and advertisement, but also from the new media sector and software producers. Particularly players of the latter segment can confidently turn to the firm in matters touching on IP and IT law. Social media companies, streaming platforms, viral advertising agencies, e-commerce and online-based companies make up the majority of the group's client roster.
Other key lawyers:
'The team covers a wide range of skills and coordination works relatively quickly.'
'Responding to the individual needs of the customer, a high level of advisory competence, high technical expertise, friendly interaction.'
'Very good holistic, cross-thematic support, true interdisciplinarity, very competent and flexible team: committed, proactive, patent.'
'Marcus Hotze is a very valued specialist lawyer: helpful, approachable at any time, well networked, reliable, fast and extremely competent. We recommend.'
PlanetHome Group GmbH
Rituals Cosmetics Germany GmbH
LCD Berlin Awards
The DIGITALE GmbH
Frank Otto Medienbeteiligungs GmbH
KG Hamburg 1 Fernsehen
RTL2 Fernsehen GmbH & Co. KG
Brandarena GmbH & Co. KG
Deutsche Werbefilmakademie e.V.
BBU Verband Berlin-Brandenburger Wohnungsunternehmen e.V.
CMPro Content Media Production GmbH
Schalk & friends GmbH
GdW Bundesverband deutscher Wohnungs- und Immobilienunternehmen mbH
- Alfred Kärcher SE & Co. KG: Comprehensive advice on media law, for example on social media campaigns and agency contracts.
- BBU Association Berlin-Brandenburger Wohnungsunternehmen eV and various housing associations: Advice on media law on the design of the “home exchange” platform.
- Braindogs Entertainment GmbH: Advising the film producer on media law issues including a new feature film project.
Sports law boutique offering Lentze Stopper continues to grow: in January 2020, Simon Karlin made partner and in February, Christian Keidel joined from Martens Rechtsanwälte. There, he joined Gregor Lentze's and Martin Stopper's team which focuses on advising associations, clubs, testimonials, sponsors and agencies from the sports sector. The group covers diverse matters including employment, data protection, e-sport, corporate, antitrust and media law as well as disputes.
'Outstanding experts in the various areas of sport and event-related issues. Your team is fast, professional and very experienced with an already well-developed network of relevant business contacts. Even under time pressure they always performed well. '
'Fast availability and feedback! Excellent network and a long history of working with many relevant stakeholders. They are very good at adapting to customer needs. '
'Experts in various areas of sports and club law.'
Deutscher Fußball-Bund (DFB)
DFB Euro GmbH
Deutsche Fußball Liga (DFL)
International Biathlon Union (IBU)
Deutsche Sport Marketing (DSM)
FC Bayern München
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
1. FC Köln
Deutscher Golf-Verband (DGV)
International Shooting Federation (ISSF)
Federation Inernational de Volleyball
Bayerischer Fußball-Verband (BFV)
Basketball Bundesliga (BBL)
FC Bayern München Basketball
Deutscher Ski-Verband (DSV)
Deutscher Ringer-Bund (DRB)
International Shooting Federation (ISSF)
On target Football Consultants
game – Verband der deutschen Games-Branche
Markus Högl Management (MHM)
- DFB Euro GmbH: Complete advice in connection with the application, planning and implementation of UEFA EURO 2024 in Germany as well as the Corona-related postponement of UEFA EURO 2020 into 2021.
- DFB and national football associations: Strategic advice on all aspects of dealing with the corona pandemic, in particular assessment of scenarios for the termination / continuation of sports competitions and the implications of this
- MOTHER: Advice in the field of media law, contract negotiations and drafting for the award of media rights, antitrust background check.
Nordemann, a spin-off of Boehmert & Boehmert, stands out for its comprehensive IP and IT advice offering. The majority of its client base stems from the media sector. Leading companies from the film (also from the US), TV, music, video gaming, publishing, sports and arts industry instruct the team around Jan Bernd Nordemann particularly due to its expertise in copyright matters, ranging from disputes and expert opinions to contracts and copyright-related political advice.
'The law firm is the very first address for copyright issues. The team has consistently outstanding expertise and is highly committed and well connected. Jan Bernd Nordemann is an expert in copyright law. Julian Waiblinger is one of the aspiring copyright lawyers with broad expertise in copyright law in all media branches. '
DFL – Deutsche Fußballliga e. V.
Elsevier Inc., Springer Nature
Marktkirche Hannover St. Georgii et Jacobi
NINTENDO of EUROPE GmbH und NINTENDO Co., Ltd.
Re:sources Germany GmbH (Rechtsabteilung der weltweiten Publicis Werbeagenturgruppe)
Avenso GmbH (LUMAS)
Reed Smith is known for its representation of and advice to international media companies as well as online platforms which instruct the group with matters related to transactions, corporate and copyright law as well as the protection of youth right and media regulatory issues. Alexander Klett heads the team. In August 2020, former co-practice head Stephan Rippert joined Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH.
Schalast & Partner Rechtsanwälte
Schalast & Partner Rechtsanwälte's media law practice is headed by Udo Kornmeier. With a focus on licensing, production, screen adaptation and advertisement contracts, the team advises press enterprises as well as broadcasting companies on press and copyright issues and also represents them in proceedings before State Media Authorities. The group's service offering is complemented by further competencies, both internally via its cooperation with the firm's IT and antitrust practices as well as externally via the international network Multilaw.
'Schalast & Partner is a 360 degree service provider. '
Henssler Gastro GmbH (Steffen Henssler)
3p (Record Company), Moses Pelham und weitere – “Metall auf Metall”
Parviz Mir-Ali (Komponist)
Bundesverband deutscher Pressesprecher (BdP)
European Association of Communication Directors (EACD)
Deutscher Rat für Public Relations
The Radio Group GmbH
- 3p (Record Company), Moses Pelham and others - “Metal on Metal”: Advice and representation in a media-effective procedure for the musical reuse of a rhythm sequence from the Kraftwerk title "Metal on Metal" on key questions of principle on German and European copyright law.
- Association for Broadcasting and Broadband Communication (FRK): Advising and representing the FRK, an association of small and medium-sized cable network operators, internet service providers, housing associations and municipal utilities, in proceedings against the largest German public broadcasters ARD and ZDF because of the payment of the feed-in tariff.
- The Radio Group GmbH: Advising and representing the company and its subsidiaries Lokal-Radio Cottbus GmbH and Brandenburger Lokalradios GmbH in proceedings against Germany's largest marketer of radio advertising, RMS Radio Marketing Service GmbH & Co. KG (RMS), with regard to unauthorized marketing.
Scheuermann Westerhoff Strittmatter
Scheuermann Westerhoff Strittmatter can rely on Angelika Strittmatter and Burkhard Westerhoff to accommodate the legal needs of the music sector. The group advises publishers and celebrities from the music sector as well as online platforms and TV station comprehensively, including assistance with press and publishing law, transactions and IT matters. Oliver Poche is the key contact for social media clients; Hanno Fierdag takes on the representation of clients in disputes.
"The practice is extremely responsive, incredibly secure in its legal assessment and always open to focus on the legal options with priority on a quick cleanup."
'Angelika Stittmatter is an extremely smart person, very clear in communication and assessment, safe and reliable.'
'' Quick-witted, highly competent team of partners who complement each other well if necessary and interlink accordingly. Open, honest dealings and transparent, effective advice. A high level of specialist knowledge paired with good industry knowledge and a strong network. Short-term interaction with law firms and lawyers from other specialist areas if necessary. '
'Oliver Poche: high level of expertise, strong industry knowledge, well-developed network. Effective advice taking into account all corresponding factors and stakeholders. Ability and willingness to explain facts well if necessary, i.e. to enable the clientele to evaluate the facts themselves. Trusting, partnership-based, committed cooperation. Targeted negotiating strength with a good assessment of the other side. '
'The team from SWS Scheuermann Westerhoff Strittmatter is characterized by a high level of professionalism and efficiency. It should be particularly emphasized that in addition to the excellent legal advice, the economic aspects are also adequately and appropriately taken into account. Thanks to many years of experience in the music industry, the team is familiar with all facets of music law and the customs of the industry. '
'High level of expertise, not only legally, but also in the practical area of music and the music business'
'Hanno Fierdag: absolutely committed, very good advice, excellent industry knowledge'
Concorde Musik GmbH
Dojo Werbeagentur GmbH
Flyings Steps Entertainment GmbH
Sony ATV Germany
Ahead Media GmbH
UNVERZAGT Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB
Since Harro von Have and Christoph Fey departed in January 2020 to found Von Have Fey, Andreas Pense now leads UNVERZAGT Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB's media team. The newly organised group commits its practice to advising the media sector on development, financing, production and analysis of audiovisual productions for TV and on-demand platforms as well as on contract negotiations, transactions and funding models for the gaming sector.
White & Case LLP's entertainment team is highly regarded for its 'very strong performance in court', its close cooperation with the firm's telecoms and antitrust teams and the internationality of its practice; Norbert Wimmer, an expert in telecoms, media and broadcasting law, heads the team. He advises public entities, companies and private investors from Germany and abroad. Counsel Katharina Nawrath possesses 'magnificent market knowledge'.
Other key lawyers:
'' Content-wise and tonally balanced, detailed typesetting. Very strong appearance in court. '
'In addition to extensive legal knowledge and experience in the areas of media, telecommunications and antitrust law, the team in the entertainment practice area is also characterized by in-depth knowledge of economic, technical and political issues. The excellent legal advice is therefore always provided with strategic foresight and great practical relevance. The way of working is fast, reliable, precise and hands-on. The cooperation with the practice team has therefore been characterized by trust and success for years. '
'Norbert Wimmer has many years of experience in advising on media, telecommunications and antitrust law and has particularly successfully advised infrastructure operators. Excellent analytical skills paired with in-depth knowledge of the market make him a trustworthy partner whose advice is highly valued by companies that go well beyond legal issues. Norbert Wimmer is quick to react, spot-on and not formalistic. '
'Katharina Nawrath has in-depth knowledge of media law, which, thanks to her excellent market knowledge, she uses in a practical manner, so that working with her always generates immediate and sustainable added value. She works and reacts quickly, precisely and trustingly and is a reliable partner in the successful implementation of complex legal proceedings. '
Medienanstalt Berlin-Brandenburg ./. Springer SE
- facebook: Since 2011 Facebook's legal advisor on all civil litigation outside the US. Advice on highly topical issues worldwide on six continents: This includes the areas of IP (trademark law / copyright disputes), data protection, regulatory and competition law issues, voting rights, content reviews (e.g. questions on defamation, freedom of expression and censorship), liability issues from hosting providers and Intermediaries and other criminal and civil audits. Advice on payment transactions and products, including the market launch of the hardware product, portal.
- Unitymedia: Very extensive long-term dispute between the previously second largest German cable network operator, which is now part of the Vodafone Group, with the public broadcasters in the sense of "paradigm shift" in distribution contracts: civil, administrative and cartel proceedings with which – in addition to the BKartA – numerous civil and administrative courts were concerned. After a guiding principle decision by the BGH published in February 2020 and the subsequent (paid) settlement agreement also with ARTE, all questions have now been clarified for the client for many years.
- Medienanstalt Berlin-Brandenburg ./. Springer SE: Representation in administrative court proceedings – fundamental dispute over broadcasting law licensing requirements for live streaming services (Bild Live, etc.) of the Springer Group. In September 2019 decision of the VG Berlin in favor of mabb. Springer then applied to mabb for a broadcasting license and recently received it.