CMS' media practice advises on traditional media as well as digital issues and covers competition, antitrust and public law matters in cross-practice cooperation via a specialised task force. The team assists with regulatory matters, where clients also benefit from expertise in data protection and consumer electronics. Another mainstay is the group's proven experience in e-sports, including licensing agreements and, more recently, issues pertaining to NFTs. Clients include German and international platforms, media companies, broadcasters and press publishers. Practice head Sebastian Cording in Hamburg is experienced in traditional sports law as well as copyright law and increasingly coordinates cross-border matters with the head of the global media group Pietro Graf Fringuelli in Cologne, whose expertise covers media regulation and digital business models. Other key contacts are senior associate Patrick Ehinger, who is experienced in rights and licenses-related media usage matters, and gaming expert Martin Gerecke, who made partner in January 2022.
Entertainment in Germany
‘We have felt that we are in extremely good and competent hands here for years. Also in the very special area of sports media rights and their distribution.’
‘In the media sector, we have received extensive support from CMS Hasche Sigle in recent years in relation to incorrect reporting in various publications and in securing the protection of personal rights in digital media. Best practice in Germany (in terms of know-how, experience, value for money and the most important aspect: always helpful). CMS Hasche Sigle is our absolute first choice.’
‘Very extensive know-how in the field of sports media, quick perception and negotiating strength.’
BBC / ITV
BDZV – Bundesverband Digitalpublisher und Zeitungsverleger e.V
Axel Springer SE
Börsenverein des deutschen Buchhandels e.V.
Bastei Lübbe AG
Electronic Sports League (ESL) Gaming GmbH
World Esports Association (WESA)
SV Werder Bremen GmbH & Co. KG aA
1. FC Köln
FC Schalke 04 Esports
LeDap Group AB
Sportainment Medien GmbH & Co. KG
- Comprehensive advice to BBC / ITV on media law requirements as well as e-commerce and data protection conditions for the implementation of a new SVOD platform for the BBC and ITV in Germany.
- Comprehensive advice to the World Esport Association (WESA) on the design of the world’s first NFT license agreement between the leading WESA teams and Immutable X. Development of new concepts for in-game item selling with blockchain technology.
- Advising Mubi on their further international growth trajectory, the acquisition of European film distribution company The Match Factory and its film production arm, The Match Factory Productions.
Noerr‘s cross-practice expertise is regularly requested in connection with AI matters, personal rights protection and contract drafting in the context of film productions, while the team also offers comprehensive support for transactions in the media sector. Further interface competencies pertain to digital health and antitrust law, the latter particularly with regard to the so-called gatekeeper position of digital platforms. Of counsel Ulrich Michel, who is particularly well versed in film financing, is frequently instructed by film, television, music and advertising companies, while associate Jan Weismantel increasingly advises on copyright and film contracts.
Allianz Deutscher Produzenten – Film & Fernsehen e.V.
Sony Music Entertainment Germany GmbH
Heinrich Bauer Media Group
Bavaria Fiction GmbH
Constantin Medien AG
Ziegler Film GmbH & Co. KG
Right Livelihood Foundation
rt1 media group GmbH
- Advising the Allianz Deutscher Produzenten – Film & Fernsehen e.V. on the creation of the model for the default fund I of the BKM and the default fund II of the federal states for Covid-19 pandemic damage in film productions.
- Representation of the Wort & Bild Verlag Konradshöhe GmbH & Co. KG in a complaint procedure because of discrimination against a provider by Google for highlighting the information boxes of the Federal Ministry of Health.
- Comprehensive media, funding, corporate and tax law advice to LionsGate on the establishment of a joint venture and on the drafting and negotiation of all transaction and production contracts for films.
SKW Schwarz advises entertainment and media law clients with a team consisting of IP, IT and digital business experts, spanning the task forces e-sports, games, digital regulation, film and television, and music. Recent growth areas include the interface between IP law and the film and music industry, as was demonstrated in advising on copyright matters in connection with collecting societies. In Munich, Johann Heyde took over practice group management from Norbert Klingner at the beginning of 2022, who continues to advise on film and series productions. Heyde has a similar focus and is experienced in film financing, production-relevant IP issues and licensing agreements. Other key contacts are e-sports expert and senior associate Moritz Mehner, Mathias Schwarz, who is well-versed in licensing agreements, and Martin Diesbach, whose focus includes international digital business models.
‘Bundled, excellent expertise in the various areas of entertainment: copyright, litigation, music law.’
‘Norbert Klingner: Personal and individual support, clear presentation of complex legal issues, result-oriented to the mandate.’
‘The entire team in the field of media law (including tax law) has a great deal of expertise and knowledge and can provide perfect support in all legal questions of a production company.’
Studio Hamburg Enterprises GmbH
ApolloMedia Film Distribution GmbH
Krautpack Entertainment GmbH & Co. KG
G Esports Holding GmbH
Freaks 4U Gaming GmbH
Astralis Esport ApS
ENCE Esports Oy
FaZe Clan Inc
G Esports Holding GmbH
Liquid Enterprises, B.V.
NATUS VINCERE ESPORT CY LTD
NextGen Tech, LCC
Ninjas in Pyjamas Gaming AB
Team Vitality SAS
The Evil Geniuses (EG) LCC
Red Bull Media House GmbH
Telekom Srbija a.d. Beograd / MTEL
Scott Free Productions
The Walt Disney Company (Germany (GmbH)
- Advising ApolloMedia Film Distribution GmbH on a total of four large-scale court proceedings before the Munich Regional Court on the copyright situation of international film co-productions. The subject of the proceedings are legally complex copyright issues relating to English film funds (so-called sale-and-lease-back constructions).
- Ongoing legal support for Red Bull Media House GmbH in all copyright and media law matters.
- Advising the producer alliance, among other things, on the development of minimum standards for ecological production, negotiations on the conclusion of a common remuneration rule for directors in cinema films, negotiations with ARD, the directors’ association, the actors’ association and the scriptwriter’s association on common remuneration rules for TV productions.
Straßer Ventroni Freytag Rechtsanwälte
Straßer Ventroni Freytag Rechtsanwälte advises national and international companies, cinema groups, TV and film producers, broadcasting companies, media houses and music groups on an equally versatile array of topics. In addition to traditional copyright, media and licensing law, the team covers music and data protection law as well as interfacing IP matters, which is complemented by capacities in in and out-of-court dispute resolution. This is also reflected at practice head level: Robert Straßer (copyright and media law) specialises in industry-specific contract drafting, transactions, dispute resolution as well as supporting productions and co-productions of international series, Stefan Ventroni (copyright, media and entertainment law) frequently advises on business model contracts and also represents clients in disputes, while Stefan Freytag (copyright, media and e-commerce law) demonstrates special expertise in the publishing industry, digital media and advice on digital business models and is also well versed in litigation. In April 2022, Stephan Bücker (media, entertainment, IP) left the team and founded Baer Legal.
Other key lawyers:
‘Extremely professional and pleasant cooperation, which is always a lot of fun.’
‘Stefan Ventroni plays equally professionally and personally in the Champions League.’
‘Mr. Saleh is a real service provider: Always client-oriented, gets to the point quickly and, above all, is incredibly personable. It’s always a pleasure to work with him. We especially appreciate his pragmatic approach.’
Condé Nast Germany
Deutsche Telekom AG / Telekom Deutschland GmbH
FC Bayern München
Sony Music Entertainment Deutschland GmbH
TWF Treuhandgesellschaft Werbefilm mbH
Wolters Kluwer Deutschland
Anschutz Entertainment Group
- Advising Deutsche Telekom AG on copyright, licensing and media law issues as well as on drafting and negotiating license and cooperation agreements with large corporations in the media industry, particularly in the areas of films/series, games, music and sports.
- Ongoing advice to Leonine Holding GmbH on the design and licensing of films as well as in the areas of data protection and e-commerce for the launch of streaming services. In addition, advice on the review, drafting and negotiation of distribution and license agreements with various providers or distribution platforms for apps that give users access to Leonine’s video-on-demand services.
- Advising FC Bayern Munich on copyright, personal rights, competition and trademark law, advertising sales and data protection law.
DLA Piper covers the media and entertainment sector with combined expertise in copyright, contract, data protection, IP and media distribution law as well as regulatory broadcasting, telecommunications and gambling issues. The latter two areas are among the key strengths of Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt. Growth areas include gaming and e-sports, while the team also added several new clients from the television and broadcasting sectors as well as the publishing industry to its roster, which are advised on competition law. Practice head Stefan Engels in Hamburg specialises in IP, online and broadcasting law, among other things, while Kai Tumbrägel has experience in media and sports law, including e-sports and gaming.
‘Stefan Engels’ team is responsive, thorough and very pleasant to work with. Fair and transparent billing, very customer-oriented.’
‘Stefan Engels: It is a pleasure to work with him. He provides creative solutions and gives pragmatic advice.’
‘Michael Stulz-Herrnstadt leads his team efficiently with good performances from the individual team members.’
Axel Springer SE / Bild GmbH / WeltN24
Discovery Communications Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG
Evoke Gaming Ltd.
GROUP ONE MANAGEMENT PTY LTD
Helios Kliniken GmbH
LEGO System A/S
ProSiebenSat.1 Media SE / Seven.One Entertainment
Readly International AB
Sony Entertainment Europe
Spin Master Corp
Stillfront Group AB
- Advising Sony Entertainment Europe (PlayStation developer and publisher of games) on drafting contracts for users of the PlayStation game Dreams, which allows players to create their own games and content.
- Advising Discovery Communications Deutschland GmbH & Co. KG, ProSieben /SevenOne Entertainment, RTL Television and WeltN24 in norm control proceedings against the new advertising statutes of the state media authorities and the respective responsible norm provider before the higher administrative courts in Bavaria and Lower Saxony.
- Advising and representing the international gambling provider Kindred Group in the area of gaming/gambling and in various customer disputes.
Integrated into the firm's global network, the media law team at Greenberg Traurig Germany primarily focuses on supporting the film and music sectors in contractual, copyright and employment law issues (in the context of productions) as well as youth protection. Regulatory aspects and financing matters are also covered, with the latter increasingly including state promotional programmes at national and international level. This expertise is requested by media companies and studios as well as funding bodies, financial institutions and insurance companies. On-demand content constitutes another growth area, here, the group advises streaming platforms. Practice head Stefan Lütje is experienced in national and cross-border media transactions, media disputes and issues pertaining to production and distribution, while Christoph Enaux covers the interface between telecommunications and media law. Laura Zentner handles interfacing technology and IP matters.
‘Stefan Lütje: Incredibly competent, experienced, networked in the industry, plus an absolute expert who can immediately classify all questions and facts. Pragmatic, accessible and binding.’
‘Laura Zentner: Comprehensive expertise, quick clarification of issues, pragmatism and understanding of our business needs.’
‘Christoph Enaux: A trustworthy partner with whom we work together on various strategic projects. Both his networking in the market and his professional expertise can be described as unique.’
‘Christoph Enaux and his team have been advising our company for a long time and are important partners in various areas of media law and the associated litigation.’
‘From our point of view, the leading law firm in the industry (cinema/film) with extensive expertise, excellent networking and a high degree of professionalism.’
‘Experience, reputation, personal relationship, comprehensive knowledge, ability to learn and curiosity for new areas.’
Amazon Media EU / Amazon Studios / Audible
Autorin Jojo Moyes und ihre Agenten Curtis Brown
Joyn (Joint Venture zwischen ProSiebenSat.1 und Discovery)
ProSiebenSat.1 SE / Studio 71 GmbH
Rise FX und Rise Filmproduktion
Rlaxx TV (Foxxum Group)
Sky Deutschland GmbH
Sophisticated Film GmbH
The Hive Social
Universal Pictures / Universal City Studios
Yorck Kino GmbH
ZDF Studios (vormals ZDF Enterprises)
- Comprehensive advice to Ehrlich Entertainment GmbH & Co. KG on all contractual, music, competition, broadcasting, personal rights, trademark and copyright issues.
- Comprehensive advice to Foxxum on the development and exploitation of connected TV solutions, on trademark law and on regulatory and antitrust issues as well as on the development of new business models.
- Advising Focus Features on structuring co-productions to qualify for German film funding and related negotiations with contractual partners, including for the films Inside and TAR; also ongoing production advice, in particular rights clearance and acquisition of rights.
Lausen Rechtsanwälte advises a versatile client roster on traditional media law as well as the interfaces with data protection, competition, corporate, social security and employment law. A strong focus is on copyright law and related model proceedings, here, audio content specialist Kerstin Bäcker frequently leads before the Federal Court of Justice and the European Court of Justice. Practice head Matthias Lausen in Munich is well versed in national and international copyright issues and is increasingly instructed by global platforms on licensing issues, while Ursula Feindor-Schmidt is an expert for platform liability and the implementation of Art. 17 of the DSM Directive (the so-called upload filter). Martin Schippan advises on press law as well as copyright law, while Marco Jung 's expertise is regularly called upon in the context of theater and musicals. The client portfolio includes numerous traditional media and entertainment companies such as agencies, broadcasting, music, audio and film companies as well as software and games developers.
Integrated into the superordinate TMT Group, the team at McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP often advises on media law matters at the interface to IT, data protection and telecommunications law. Large international corporations, medium-sized companies, production companies, broadcasters and streaming providers are among the client base. The IT area includes support in contractual and regulatory matters as well as Industry 4.0 and IoT. Further competences are evident in the context of transactions and license agreements, which also correspond with the key strengths of Wolfgang von Frentz, who co-led the practice with Ralf Weisser until early 2023. Christian Masch increasingly advises companies on current and future business models and is well versed in landmark proceedings, such as in connection with advertising blocking software.
Other key lawyers:
Constantin Medien AG
Deutsche Telekom AG
IP Deutschland / RTL interactive
Orion Engineered Carbons GmbH
ProSiebenSat1 Media SE
- Comprehensive advice to Constantin Medien AG on the feasibility and framework conditions for TV sports productions and the corresponding production agreements.
- Representing Corint Media in a legal dispute against Deutsche Telekom AG regarding the question of the appropriateness of the tariff for the distribution of television programs in the IPTV standard.
- Successful representation of IP Deutschland and RTL Interactive in the proceedings against Eyeo GmbH at the Federal Court of Justice regarding the ad blocker Ad Block Plus, a browser extension that suppresses Internet advertising.
Morrison Foerster offers in-depth experience in advising national and international media companies on traditional production and commercial use methods such as film, television and broadcasting, but thanks to advancing digitisation, the team significantly expanded its advisory offering, thus covering new content formats and aspects of digital compliance, among others. Art is another growth area, where the practice offers support on copyright and distribution law issues, marketing in the metaverse and NFTs. Berlin-based practice heads Christoph Wagner (focus on media transactions in the broadcasting sector) and Christiane Stützle (focus on film, entertainment and copyright law) jointly head the team, which includes Andreas Grünwald, who is well versed in the new media state treaty. Patricia Ernst and Christoph Nüßing were both appointed counsel in January 2022; Ernst is increasingly instructed on the entire development phase of audiovisual content, and Nüßing primarily advises on regulatory issues pertaining to gambling or broadcasting licenses.
‘We need professional advisors who can handle difficult economic issues and also have good political judgment. Morrison & Foerster are incredibly effective at this and combine these talents. I cannot praise them highly enough.’
‘We really feel supported and advised by the law firm. We’re not just “another client” to the team. They are first class and respond promptly to all queries and requests.’
‘Christoph Wagner enjoys a great reputation and respect in our industry in Germany and internationally. He also represents international media companies.’
‘The law firm has an excellent network in the field of media law. The team is very well positioned in the areas of antitrust, copyright, telecommunications, contract and media law. The whole thing is rounded off by a competent and very experienced litigation department. The law firm works extremely service-oriented with short processing times and always at a high professional level.’
‘Christiane Stützle and her team advise us in the field of art and copyright law and on the intersections technology and digitization. The new digital business models, such as art and NFTs, are also an exciting growth market for us artists and we are happy to have real experts at our side with the team who move things forward.’
‘A team with powerful women, diversely positioned up to higher management in the field of entertainment and media. Always courteous, well prepared. More female than other law firms in the field.’
‘Christiane Stützle and her team fought with great commitment for us and for the freedom of art for more than three years and won, winning a landmark judgment before a district court. The effort was unbelievable and we are happy to have them on our side.’
‘Christiane Stützle: Absolute expertise in the field of entertainment law and film, especially in the subtleties of cooperation with the US market and with US film studios on the European market. Always well prepared.’
Axel Springer SE
Fachverband Rundfunk-und BreitbandKommunikation (FRK)
Galerie Deschler & Galerie Johann König
Majid Al Futtaim Cinemas
National Football League (NFL)
Radio NRJ GmbH
- Advising the National Football League on the plan to organize four main round games in Germany within the next four years.
- Advice to Indian Paintbrush on the implementation of a co-production and the corresponding transaction structure.
- Advising SoundCloud on the sale of a minority stake, among other things; post-Brexit restructuring; Acquisition of an AI platform and licensing restructuring.
The media and entertainment law experts at Taylor Wessing are experienced in in and out-of-court dispute resolution as well as transactions and regularly advise players from the tech industry on the launch of new products and services, while the group’s regulatory expertise is increasingly called upon in connection with content and compliance; the practice is also known for its comprehensive support for the video games industry. Copyright law is another mainstay, including matters pertaining to the new EU Copyright Directive and its implementation. IT and data protection law expert Paul Voigt in Berlin heads the TMT Group and is experienced, among others, in e-commerce and advising online gambling providers. Other key contacts are IT expert Svenja-Ariane Maucher, who is well versed in the licensing and commercial use of content, and copyright and media specialist Gregor Schmid .
Other key lawyers:
‘In-depth understanding of our company, quick feedback, clear communication style, fun to work with.’
Riese & Müller
Infarm Indoor Urban Farming
Roald Dahl Story Company
- Advising the German premium bicycle manufacturer Riese & Müller GmbH in connection with the development and further development of an app and in connection with the provision of additional digital and networking services for bicycles.
- Ongoing advice to Infarm on IT and IP, among other things, as well as all questions relating to the operational business and international expansion.
- Advising the international publisher Condé Nast on copyright and distribution issues.
Brehm & v. Moers
Brehm & v. Moers‘s media law team is well versed in the core sectors film and television, games, IT and digital business and advises film and television production companies, games providers and streaming service providers on transactions as well as series and feature content. Media employment law is another key topic, where the practice increasingly advises on remuneration issues, here, Marcus Sonnenschein is the key contact. Other key figures are Kai Bodensiek (gaming, including e-sports), Katharina Domnick, who is experienced in advising on national and international film projects, and name partner Stefan von Moers, who has longstanding expertise in media, entertainment and press law.
‘Very competent, trustworthy, transparent and fair billing.’
‘Very good reputation and the cooperation is very trusting.’
‘Extremely high level of expertise in the very specific area of film funding and all legal issues associated with it.’
Hengeler Mueller impresses with in-depth copyright, antitrust and media law expertise as well as additional competencies in media regulation, telecommunications regulation and competition law, where the group advises on contracts, transactions and corporate strategies and leads in regulatory proceedings and disputes, also in the context of the EU Copyright Directive. Albrecht Conrad (contract drafting and transactions, among others) and Wolfgang Spoerr (regulatory focus) jointly head the group; IT expert Tobias Schubert was appointed counsel in January 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Integrated into the TMT practice group, K&L Gates LLP‘s media experts focus on advising collecting societies on film, copyright, antitrust and media law issues, in addition to supporting broadcasters and online platforms. Other core areas include sports law, litigation and music law; in the latter area, the team is particularly experienced in contract negotiations with GEMA. Among the key contacts are counsel Olaf Fiss (IP, IT and data protection) and Friederike Gräfin von Brühl (IP litigation); the latter made equity partner in March 2022. Martin Von Albrecht has left the firm.
Klassik Radio AG
RTL Interactive GmbH
RTL Radio Deutschland GmbH
Spotfilm Networx GmbH (Netzkino)
SUPER RTL Fernsehen GmbH Co. KG
The Walt Disney Company Germany
Worldwide Wrestling Entertainment Inc.
- Representing Corint Media in the landmark proceedings against SevenOne before the LG Erfurt.
- Representation of VAUNET in the arbitration board proceedings against GEMA in connection with the general contract for music-on-demand. Negotiation of the overall contracts with GEMA and GVL in the areas of TV, radio and video-on-demand.
- Comprehensive advice to the Joyn platform in connection with rights clearance for retransmissions and video-on-demand, in particular in connection with music rights.
ADVANT Beiten's media law capacities are integrated into the IP, IT and media practice, which is jointly led by gaming expert Andreas Lober and litigator Matthias Stecher. The team advises radio and television companies as well as film production companies on contracts, consumer, data and youth protection as well as in connection with NFTs. The team particularly focuses on the areas gaming and e-sports, while content-related advice to companies from the cosmetics, sports and energy sectors is a growth topic. Key contact Wojtek Ropel in Frankfurt is experienced in IT, while IP specialist Peggy Müller focuses on the areas of e-sports and gaming; the latter joined the team at the end of 2022 as salary partner from Klinkert Rechtsanwälte PartGmbB.
‘Andreas Lober: An outstanding gaming lawyer. He is characterized by down-to-earthness, friendliness, reliability and absolute professionalism. As a gamer, he knows what he is talking about and which language is understood by our non-legal employees. Rarely do you meet an expert at this level who is also as pleasant to deal with as Andreas Lober.’
‘We have been working with the law firm for several years. A comprehensive relationship of trust and mutual understanding has grown. It should be particularly emphasized that we always have competent contact persons who respond to our concerns quickly and innovatively and give us comprehensive advice.’
‘Holger Weimann: Very professional, has extensive knowledge of the media from his own experience and gets to the heart of the matter quickly, accurately and confidently. He’s always up to date and very practical.’
‘Andreas Lober and his team offer practical solutions, they know the computer games industry and are gamers themselves. This makes working together easy and very relaxed. Another plus point is the friendliness combined with absolute professionalism.’
ANTENNE BAYERN GmbH & Co. KG
BB RADIO Länderwelle Berlin / Brandenburg GmbH & Co. KG
Goldbach Germany GmbH
QUANTYOO GmbH & Co. KG
Wake Word GmbH
- Ongoing advice to ANTENNE BAYERN GmbH & Co. KG on media law, competition law, broadcasting law and antitrust law, among other things.
- Advice to Goldbach Germany GmbH on media law.
- Accompanying the founding of the first state-wide private radio broadcaster in North Rhine-Westphalia with the participation of eleven private radio broadcasters (including Antenne NRW, radio NRW, ffn, Flux FM).
Baker McKenzie's media law team is headed by renowned Holger Lutz in Frankfurt, who is well versed in IT and IP law as well as the German gaming sector. The advice predominantly covers matters in the digital arena, such as supporting social media companies in connection with the much-discussed upload filter and Network Enforcement Act. Other key topics include transactions in the media sector as well as e-sports and licensing matters. Sebastian Schwidessen in Berlin was appointed counsel in July 2022 and offers comprehensive advice on platforms, interactive content and IT.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sebastian Schwidessen: A definite expert, especially in the protection of minors, extremely available and able to produce practical recommendations in a short time.’
‘Sebastian Schwidessen has a broad knowledge of the German and international gaming sector, such as the associated data protection and consumer rights.’
‘Sebastian Schwidessen knows our industry very well and was very helpful with our M&A transactions. In particular, his expertise is a guide for our legal department.’
Valve Corporation / Steam
Google und YouTube Deutschland
Funplus International AG
Nameless Media (Der Petersen GmbH und Co. KG)
Running With Scissors LLC
- Comprehensive media regulatory advice to Techland, including representation in an appeals procedure against the entertainment software self-regulation (USK) and a delisting procedure against the Federal Agency for Child and Youth Media Protection (BzKJ).
- Comprehensive corporate law and media regulatory advice to the Embracer Group.
- Ongoing media regulatory and youth protection advice to the Valve Corporation / Steam on various products, games and issues in Germany and internationally.
Bird & Bird LLP focuses on the areas copyright, freedom of speech and contract law as well as regulatory issues. Sports law constitutes a key topic, where the team has recently been particularly active at the interface between media antitrust law and sports marketing. Further advisory strengths are online advertising and marketing issues as well as cooperation agreements and advertising partnerships, particularly in the e-sports sector. The sports and media lawyer Joseph Fesenmair in Munich heads the group and is well versed in sponsoring matters and contract drafting. Markus Körner focuses on TV rights and license agreements.
Amazon Game Server
S 20 e.V.
Union Mondiale de Billard
Zum Goldenen Hirschen
- Ongoing advice to the ProSiebenSat.1 Group in various contractual disputes, copyright disputes, transactional IP media matters and business models.
- Successful representation of Take-Two Interactive in a copyright lawsuit before the Cologne Regional Court regarding cheating and griefing software relating to the blockbuster game Grand Theft Auto V.
- Advice to Zum Goldenen Hirschen on the production and license agreement and on the negotiations with the German federal government in connection with two information videos about the Covid-19 pandemic.
Cologne boutique FREY Rechtsanwälte demonstrates advisory strengths in data protection, IP, media, copyright, sports and press law and places a particularly strong focus on the interface between media and sports. Other key areas include the production and commercial use of content – such as on-demand, e-books and film -, advertising, the design and negotiation of license and cooperation agreements, and content marketing in the context of social media and influencer marketing . Key contacts are name partner Dieter Frey, who advises on media, copyright and sports law, and litigator Matthias Rudolph, who is experienced in copyright disputes.
‘Well balanced team, great availability, good service level.’
‘Dieter Frey: Good, reliable advisor. Matthias Rudolph: Very pleasant cooperation, high level of service.’
‘Very competent, always available and solution-oriented implementation.’
Deutsche Telekom AG
Deutsche Bahn AG
Ströer SE & Co. KGaA
Splendid Medien AG
ekz bibliotheksservice GmbH
ALSO Deutschland GmbH
Canadian Paralympic Committee
1. FC Köln GmbH & Co. KGaA
Discovery (Eurosport Events Ltd.)
Ja zum Nürburgring e.V.
VLN Veranstaltungs- und Vermarktungs GmbH & Co. KG
Veranstaltergemeinschaft Langstreckenrennen Nürburgring e.V. & Co. OHG
Mount Devil UG
ESBD – eSport-Bund Deutschland e.V.
- Ongoing advice to 1. FC Köln KGaA on media, copyright and advertising law issues.
- Advising sporttotal.tv GmbH on the founding and implementation of a media company in the form of a general contractor for production and marketing services for – in particular audiovisual – content. The cooperation extends, among other things, to rights and video productions for the FIFA World Cup 2022.
- Advising Splendid Medien AG on several high-volume factoring contracts in the international film licensing business; Preparation of extensive contract drafts, support in contract negotiations.
GRAEF Rechtsanwälte offers tailored advice on media, entertainment and IP law and thus supports film production companies, television broadcasters, rights dealers, gaming companies, advertising agencies and tech companies, among others, in the negotiation of film and music rights and in copyright disputes. The practice also places a strong focus on gaming, where Christian Rauda is the key contact. Ralph Oliver Graef in Hamburg is experienced in media and film law and heads the group.
‘Very open and always willing to help. They are easily accessible and adapt to the needs of the company and cooperate well with the respective legal departments.’
‘Christian Rauda and Werner Jansen set themselves apart from their peers with their clear, precise and quick advice, as well as their understanding of urgent matters, their willingness to help and their defense skills.’
Argon Verlag AVE GmbH
Daedalic Entertainment GmbH
DOCDAYS Productions GmbH
dropkick pictures UG
ESL Gaming GmbH
Fraktion der Freien Demokraten im Bundestag
Filmfest Hamburg gGmbH
Kiez Tournee GmbH & Co. KG
Murmann Publishers GmbH
Nachlass Michael Ende
Oxford University Press
PATRIZIA Immobilien AG
Penguin Random House
The Astrid Lindgren Company AB
The world of Neuschwansteiner GmbH & Co. KG
Tiger Media Deutschland GmbH
Tiger Media International GmbH
Ulysses Filmproduktion GmbH
Yari Film Group
Klinkert Rechtsanwälte PartGmbB
Klinkert Rechtsanwälte PartGmbB 's media and sports law expertise is regularly utilised in supporting a wide variety of media companies on production, procurement, marketing, distribution and e-commerce issues. The team also represents clients in litigation and arbitration proceedings, with sports lawyer Annett Rombach frequently in the lead pertaining to the latter. Practice head Piet Bubenzer is experienced in copyright and media law and also covers the interface to competition law, while sports expert Christian Frodl, who joined the team as counsel from Sky Germany in autumn 2021, advises on licensing and rights allocation. Peggy Müller (IP) joined ADVANT Beiten at the end of 2022.
DFB Deutscher Fußball Bund
DFL Deutsche Fußballliga e.V.
dfv Mediengruppe / Deutscher Fachverlag GmbH
documenta und Museum Fridericianum gGmbH
Napster (Rhapsody International / NapsterLuxembourg)
Nexplore Technology Holding GmbH & Co. KG / Hochtief AG
Tales of Tomorrow (ToT) GmbH
Universal Music Group
W&B Television GmbH, Wiedemann & Berg Film GmbH
- Advising the DFB and DFL on the tender for the TV rights for the DFB Cup, among other things, and advising the DFL in a legal dispute with Eurosport regarding claims for damages due to unjustified termination of the media rights contract in the course of the Covid 19 pandemic.
- Copyright advice for the world art exhibition Documenta 15.
- Advice to FIFA against TUI Cruises in connection with inship rights (broadcasting of football matches on the high seas).
Osborne Clarke‘s Tech, Media and Comms team covers digital media and digital transformation and has expertise in media, copyright and publishing law. In addition to comprehensive support for digitally-driven business models, the group also advises on digital regulation issues and consumer compliance. Practice head Konstantin Ewald is well versed at the interface of IT, internet and media law.
‘Very good atmosphere in the team. Cooperation is always efficient, billing is fair, the law firm adapts to all LegalTech tools. Extremely service oriented.’
build a rocket
Hennes & Mauritz
IMG Media Ltd.
Playrix PLR Worldwide Sales Ltd
Verband Deutscher Zeitschriftenverleger (VDZ) und Bundesverband Digitalpublisher und Zeitungsverleger (BDZV)
Verlagsgruppe Gruner + Jahr
- Advising Heribert Schwan on the admissibility of publishing the book ‘Vermächtnis – Die Kohl-Protokolle’.
- Advising the FUNKE media group on the takeover of 75.1% of the shares in Musterhaus.net.
- Advising the Verband Deutscher Zeitschriftenverleger (VDZ) und Bundesverband Digitalpublisher und Zeitungsverleger (BDZV), preparation of a detailed report on the obligation of press publishers to provide information without cause according to Section 32d UrhG.
Vy - BRIX LANGE VERWEYEN Rechtsanwälte
Vy - BRIX LANGE VERWEYEN Rechtsanwälte specialises in data protection, copyright, IT and trademark law and advises companies, creative individuals, agencies and collecting societies as well as start-ups on media, competition and telecommunications law. Other key topics include copyright, e-commerce, marketing and compliance. Urs Verweyen has extensive experience in litigation.
‘The cooperation is very personal, digital and direct. Response times are very short and we feel very well looked after.’
‘Urs Verweyen is characterized by a high degree of accuracy in the preparation and review of our contracts. He knows our needs and proposes suitable agreements accordingly. Due to very short reaction times, we can act very well in the competition.’
‘It runs like clockwork, information is not lost, everyone is always in the picture.’
STEIDL GmbH & Co. OHG
AGD Allianz Deutscher Designer
Hörspielstudio XBerg GmbH
rebuy recommerce GmbH
Extra Computer GmbH
bluechip Computer GmbH
Denver Germany GmbH
electronic4you GmbH (Österreich)
ZItCo e.V. – Zentralverband Informationstechnik und Computerindustrie e.V.
VERE e.V. – Verband zur Rücknahme und Verwertung von Elektro- u. Elektronik-Altgeräten e.V.
- Ongoing advice to the STEIDL publishing house on all copyright and media law matters, including clarification of rights, publishing contracts and negotiations as well as exhibition contracts; also representation in and out of court (national and international), most recently in connection with the photo book Ischgl and the Karl Lagerfeld exhibition in Shanghai.
Integrated into the firm's IP, Media & Technology group, Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek's media team is jointly led by Dominik Eickemeier in Cologne and Markus Lennartz in Frankfurt, both of whom have in-depth expertise in advising the TMT sectors. Companies and broadcasters from the television and radio industry instruct the group primarily on copyright and contract law matters, while a strong focus is on media regulatory issues. Michael Schmittmann comprehensively advises in the gambling sector.
Other key lawyers:
Deutsches Musik Fernsehen
net digital AG
Dr. Leise GmbH & Co. KG
Gemeinde Nümbrecht GmbH
WestCom Medien GmbH
Heussen Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH's combined IP, IT and media law expertise is primarily utilised in the new media space; here, the team advises on social media, viral advertising, e-commerce and issues pertaining to digital companies. In addition to traditional clients such as TV and radio stations, the client portfolio also includes agencies, marketing companies, sponsors as well as companies and start-ups, which are advised by Marcus Hotze in Berlin and practice head Hermann Waldhauser in Munich; Hotze combines media, IT and sports know-how, while Waldhauser primarily covers the interface between media and IP law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Hermann Waldhauser: A very competent contact, we have been working with him for many years.’
‘Hermann Waldhauser perfectly combines great theoretical knowledge with practical skills.’
‘We have been working with the law firm for more than fifteen years, that speaks for itself. Very loyal and creative, they know our market, our company and challenges very well. Individual solutions, nice people, the best skills and qualifications.’
‘In addition to the full service offer, we particularly use the advice of Marcus Hotze, who has advised us since shortly after our company was founded.’
The DIGITALE GmbH
Anixe GmbH & Co. KG
Frank Otto Medienbeteiligungs GmbH
KG Hamburg 1 Fernsehen
RTL2 Fernsehen GmbH & Co. KG
Brandarena GmbH & Co. KG
Deutsche Werbefilmakademie e.V.
BBU Verband Berlin-Brandenburger Wohnungsunternehmen e.V.
CMPro Content Media Production GmbH
Schalk & friends GmbH
GdW Bundesverband deutscher Wohnungs- und Immobilienunternehmen mbH
Braindogs Entertainment GmbH
GWI Media Technologies GmbH – Finya GmbH & Co. KG
Jüdische Gemeinde zu Berlin
RRP Media UG
- Ongoing advice to the WEKA MEDIA Group and The DIGITALE on issues of publishing, copyright, IT and media law.
- Advising the WARSTEINER brewery Haus Cramer KG on copyright and sponsorship law.
- Ongoing advice to the TV broadcaster Anixe on media and antitrust law.
Lentze Stopper comprehensively advises on sports law and supports clubs, individuals, associations, sponsors and agencies on all sports law issues related to media. Practice head Gregor Lentze in Munich is a key contact for the organisation of major events, while the head of the newly opened Berlin office, Martin Stopper, often acts for Bundesliga clients and sports associations. The team has additional advisory skills in the allocation of media, marketing and licensing rights and in antitrust law.
‘Lentze Stopper convinced us with their in-depth knowledge of the sports business. The law firm accompanies us comprehensively. Lentze Stopper also advises us competently on the topics of data storage in cloud systems and data protection in general with the digitization of our company. Last but not least, we also trust in Lentze Stopper’s know-how when it comes to compliance (particularly ticketing).’
‘Gregor Lentze: Always available to talk to about central, strategically important issues and extremely competent in advising.’
‘Advice far beyond the purely legal issues in the sports business. The team has a wealth of experience, enormous knowledge and, across the board, always has an eye for the essentials and therefore knows exactly what all sports stakeholders expect from good legal advice in the sports business.’
DFB Euro GmbH
Deutsche Fußball Liga
Deutsche Sport Marketing
FC Bayern München
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
1. FC Köln
International Shooting Federation
Federation International de Volleyball
FC Bayern München Basketball
On target Football Consultants
game – Verband der deutschen Games-Branche
- Advising DFB Euro GmbH in connection with the application, planning and implementation of the UEFA EURO 2024 in Germany and the postponement of the UEFA EURO 2020 to 2021 due to Covid-19.
- Advice on sports law to Deutsche Sport Marketing in the Olympic environment, in particular with regard to the Olympic and Paralympic Games in Tokyo (2021) and Beijing (2022).
- Advising DAZN on rights enforcement measures in the area of commercial premises.
Pinsent Masons Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater Solicitors Partnerschaft mbB
Pinsent Masons Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater Solicitors Partnerschaft mbB's media law team focuses on three central pillars: digital transformation, copyright law and advertising communication; Further key areas include licensing matters and clients' representation in contentious proceedings. Recently, the team was particularly focused on market regulations of the digital single market and on issues in the NFT context; the latter were advised on in cross-border cooperation, thanks to the firm's international network. Stephan Appt in Munich comprehensively avises on media, entertainment and infotainment matters, while Nils Rauer in Frankfurt covers the IP interface; both jointly head the practice.
‘Dynamic, committed team, the advice is always up to date.’
‘Nils Rauer: Well versed both in court and in contract law. Assertive and responsive.’
Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek
The Telegraph Media Group
QVC Handels Sàrl & Co. KG
Maxime Rheinhessen e.V.
- Advising and representing the City of Munich in the legal dispute before the District Court and Higher Regional Court of Munich regarding the application of an event in the United Arab Emirates with the slogan ‘Oktoberfest Goes Dubai’.
- Advising and representing Pierre Fabre in various legal disputes with L’Oréal before different courts regarding the advertising of sun protection products and here in particular in the research of newly developed UV protection filters.
- Advising and representing the Deutsche Digitale Bibliothek in model proceedings before the ECJ, the BGH and currently before the Berlin Court of Appeal regarding the technical protection of copyrighted works on the Internet (framing).
Schalast Law | Tax
Integrated into the IP, Media & Technology practice group, Schalast Law | Tax advises companies in the telecoms and cable sector as well as authors, journalists and artists on a range of media and sports law issues, including contract negotiations on license and production agreements, the acquisition and sale of rights portfolios, compliance concepts in the IP, media and technology areas and litigation matters at the antitrust interface. Practice head Ramón Glaßl in Frankfurt is a key contact for the latter, while Udo Kornmeier is well versed in copyright, IP and media law.
‘The personal commitment of the respective lawyers and the very intensive communication and transparency with the client are unique.’
ZACOM GmbH & Fachverband für Rundfunk- und Breitbandkommunikation (FRK)
Lausitzer Kabelbetriebsgesellschaft mbH
Lokal-Radio Cottbus & Brandenburger Lokalradios
Musikproduzent Moses Pelham
- Representation of the music producer Moses Pelham against Kraftwerk before the Federal Court of Justice after the conclusion of a referral procedure before the ECJ on the subject of music sampling.
- Advising recordJet GmbH on setting up and building a digital distribution platform.
- Advising the Lausitzer Kabelbetriebsgesellschaft mbH, ZACOM GmbH & Fachverband für Rundfunk- und Breitbandkommunikation (FRK) regarding the enforcement of antitrust and media law claims for equal treatment in the form of the payment of feed-in tariffs.
White & Case LLP offers in-depth experience in media regulatory matters, particularly in the area of new media. In this regard, the team advises national and international media platforms and technology companies, also in cross-border cooperation with locations in the US and the EU. The development of digital business models is another key topic as well as the implications of the new media state treaty. Sylvia Lorenz is increasingly instructed by digital platforms on data and consumer protection matters, while Norbert Wimmer focuses on telecommunications and broadcasting law; both jointly head the team and are based in Berlin. Lars Petersen departed for Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP in August 2023.
‘The Berlin regulatory team absolutely stands out at White & Case Germany.’
‘Norbert Wimmer: A leading regulatory lawyer in Germany. Outstanding work, incredible experience.’
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
Lime Technologies AB
- Representing Meta in several international proceedings, including on data protection.
- Advice to Spotify on global content and regulatory compliance.