Comprises advice on competition law, including representation in contentious proceedings.
Unfair competition in Germany
Bird & Bird LLP shines with its international positioning and broad sector expertise. In cooperation with colleagues from other jurisdictions, the German team around Düsseldorf practice head Christian Harmsen regularly assists with global and cross-border projects. Sector focuses include the TMT, automotive, life sciences as well as retail and consumer goods industries. The competition law expertise is integrated into the firm's overall soft IP offering and the group also covers interface matters pertaining to other practices, such as M&A. Roman Brtka in Munich is well versed in copyright law and made partner in May 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Solution-oriented and quick processing.’
DTM Deutsche Tele Medien GmbH
Juice Plus Europe GmbH
JustFab / TechStyle
ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG / SevenVentures
Schwarze & Schlichte (Three Sixty Vodka)
- Representation of AUDI AG in several contentious disputes with the German Environmental Aid for the implementation of the passenger car EnVKV.
- Advising and representing Canon in contentious and non-contentious cases relating to unfair competition, trademark and copyright law (product images).
- Defense of WMF against a lawsuit by the design office M&K for additional payment of up to €21 million before the Stuttgart Regional Court.
In 2020, CMS stood out thanks to its core expertise in the life sciences sector, but also comprehensively advises on competition law. Trade secret protection matters and sustainability issues pertaining to competition law, such as product labeling and marketing campaigns, are further key advisory topics of the practice. As an integral part of the international law firm, the German team, led by Roland Wiring (Hamburg) and Markus Deck (Düsseldorf) is a good choice for cross-border mandates. Heike Blank is renowned in the market; her expertise includes pharmaceutical, food and cosmetics law.
- Ongoing advice to Barilla Deutschland GmbH on food law, unfair competition and commercial issues.
- Ongoing advice on competition law to Melitta Europa GmbH & Co. KG, in particular on questions of product design as well as environmental and recycling requirements.
- Ongoing advice and representation of Unilever Deutschland GmbH in trademark and competition law.
Danckelmann & Kerst
Danckelmann & Kerst enjoys an excellent reputation due to its successful activity in numerous landmark proceedings. The boutique’s Frankfurt-based trio Nikolaus Konstantin Rehart , Jan-Felix Isele and Hans-Jürgen Ruhl is also active in scientific commentaries and lectures. The advice to the Centre for Protection against Unfair Competition and its experience in the telecoms sector are particularly well-known, but the team is also instructed by a wide range of clients, including large international companies as well as numerous medium-sized companies. For cross-border mandates, the firm relies on the Mackrell network.
Emma Sleep GmbH
Energie Versorgung Offenbach
Roche Diabetes Care
GmbH/Deutsche Telekom AG
MVV Energie AG
Emma Sleep GmbH
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
Wiener Feinbäckerei Heberer GmbH
Emma Matratzen GmbH
Stadtwerke Kiel AG
Toll 4 Europe GmbH
- Representation of the Centre for Protection against Unfair Competition in UWG proceedings for many years.
- Comprehensive representation of Deutsche Telekom AG/Telekom Deutschland GmbH in competition law disputes.
- Comprehensive representation and advice to Emma Sleep GmbH/Emma Matratzen GmbH/Dunlopillo GmbH.
Major international law firm DLA Piper specialises in competition and advertising law and is predestined for cross-border mandates. The team handles numerous digitisation-related competition law matters and offers experience in trade secret protection and know-how protection. A growing field of activity is the enforcement of public law norms under competition law, including in the core sectors entertainment, technology, consumer goods and fashion, digital business and hospitality, among others. Practice head Stefan Engels in Hamburg and his team, including Kai Tumbrägel in Cologne and Burkhard Führmeyer in Frankfurt, are well versed in advising on the development of protection strategies and court proceedings. The group also covers transactional matters.
‘Stefan Engels has a well-organized team that works pragmatically and cost-effectively. He has many years of experience in publishing, a very good market overview and is a good litigation tactician.’
About You GmbH
Heinrich Bauer Verlag KG
LEGO System A/S
Walgreens Boots Alliance
Wort & Bild Verlag GmbH & Co. KG
- Representing the Wort & Bild Verlag in various competition law proceedings against Burda (and its subsidiaries) regarding advertising law issues relating to the opposing party’s health magazine mylife.
- Advised Daimler Truck AG on the establishment of a joint venture with Volvo for the development, production and marketing of fuel cell systems, including advice on a highly complex IP structure, including IP transfers, IP reorganizations and licensing.
- Advising Lego System A/S on the legally secure design of online sweepstakes on competition law and gambling law.
Hamburg boutique Harte-Bavendamm Rechtsanwälte is among the top addresses for competition law disputes. In 2020, the firm’s core clients, including large German and international companies, were increasingly advised on anti-counterfeiting issues in the context of competition law. The group has particular sector expertise in the food and consumer goods industries. Another strength is the expertise in copyright and IT law. The main contacts are Michael Goldmann, Arne Lambrecht, Andrea Jaeger-Lenz, Henning Harte-Bavendamm and Karolina Schöler, who, in addition to competition law, also comprehensively cover various other areas of intellectual property law.
Other key lawyers:
‘High level of performance, high responsiveness, you feel like you’re in good hands.’
‘Arne Lambrecht: Highly qualified lawyer with quick conception and processing.’
‘ The outstanding size in the UWG and trademark law, in particular that of the company identifier. They drill thick boards particularly well.’
‘ Michael Goldmann is the best lawyer in the area of trademark rights. ‘
‘ Henning Harte-Bavendamm is the finest green thinker in Germany. ‘
‘The cooperation is highly professional and goal-oriented. All of the law firm’s lawyers, above all Michael Goldmann, have excellent knowledge of trademark and competition law and provide quick and easy-to-implement advice. Taking our needs into account, the law firm develops the right strategy and solution for all trademark and competition law issues. ‘
‘Michael Goldmann is an absolute authority on trademark and competition law. His experience and knowledge is impressive. In addition, he is very client-oriented and pragmatic. He is very responsive and his communication is perfect. He manages to make even the most complicated legal questions and problems understandable to everyone. In short, he is an excellent, competent partner who also provides security in critical processes and with whom we can achieve the best solutions for the company.’
‘The team consists of highly professional members who are very approachable, responsive and easy to deal with. The advice is always detailed, but at the same time very concise and the risk analyzes are realistic. You know how different audiences need different explanations. One of the best law firms I have worked with. I really enjoy working with Arne Lambrecht. ‘
Auto 1 Fintech GmbH
BICO Zweirad Marketing GmbH
Deutsche Bahn AG
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz
Dialog Scooter GmbH
HARIBO GmbH & Co. KG
Procter & Gamble
Levi Strauss & Co.
- Ongoing advice and representation of the Nestlé Group in EU and German trademark applications, EU design applications, EU and German opposition proceedings, EU and German cancellation proceedings, German court proceedings for trademark infringement and trademark cancellation and competition law disputes as well as anti-counterfeiting processes since 2016 the customs offices.
- Ongoing representation of Levi Strauss & Co. on the asset side in various infringement proceedings, especially against infringers of the Arcuate, Tab and Batwing brands.
- Ongoing strategic advice to Procter & Gamble, especially in the UWG and representation in court and out of court in numerous proceedings on the assets and liabilities side.
Hogan Lovells International LLP has the capacities to handle extensive mandates from a wide range of sectors as well as cross-border matters with help from the international network. Trade secret and know-how protection matters are among the firm's core competencies in competition law, including disputes and licensing agreements. Issues pertaining to counterfeiting and formal warnings as well as consumer protection also contribute significantly to the team's workload. The advisory offering also includes growth topics such as sustainability, influencer marketing and eSports matters. The practice group is headed by Burkhart Goebel in Hamburg as global head of the IPMT practice, by patent lawyer Miriam Gundt as head of the corresponding practice in Europe and by Andreas Bothe in Hamburg as the head of the German IPMT team.
Other key lawyers:
Hennes & Mauritz
Home Shopping Europe
Merck & Co. Inc.
SZ DJI Technology Co., Ltd (DJI)
ADVANT Beiten's integrated competition, trade mark and design team has particular in-depth expertise in the sports, retail, publishing, automotive, and media sectors and, thanks to its interface competence in trademark and IT law, the computer gaming industry. The team advises on marketing and advertising issues, anti-counterfeiting measures and trade secret protection. The focus in contentious proceedings is on interim measures. Among the German and international client base are both medium-sized companies and large corporations. Matthias Stecher in Munich and Andreas Lober in Frankfurt head the practice.
‘One of the best IP and competition law teams in Germany.’
‘Andreas Lober is an exceptional lawyer.’
1&1 Telecom GmbH
Dimoco Europe GmbH
Wienerberger Deutschland GmbH
E.M.P. Merchandising Handelsges. mbH
Autohaus Gotthard König GmbH
Dimoco Europe GmbH
BB RADIO Länderwelle Berlin / Brandenburg GmbH & Co. KG
Long-Time Liner Conture Make-up GmbH
IP boutique Bardehle Pagenberg renders German offices in Munich and Düsseldorf and is active in competition law, primarily in contentious proceedings in the hospitality, healthcare, fashion, cosmetics and sports goods sectors. The group advises on misleading business practices, product counterfeiting and the development of advertising concepts and campaigns. The firm’s experienced trade mark and design practice complements the competition law offering. Claus Eckhartt heads the team.
- Ongoing advice to Gardena on questions of competition law, in particular on labeling requirements, advertising information, packaging designs.
- Representing Gibson as a plaintiff against Warwick for possible unfair imitation of the Flying V guitar.
- Representing Livinguard as a plaintiff in disputes in and out of court against a variety of competitors alleging misleading claims regarding the capabilities and properties of antiviral face masks and their materials.
Frankfurt-based IP boutique bock legal partnership of lawyers specialises in contentious proceedings, which the team also regularly demonstrates in landmark proceedings before the BGH. In addition to the strong competition law practice, the group also offers comprehensive expertise in trade mark, design and patent law. Key contacts include name partner Andreas Bock as head of the practice group, Reinhard Döring, whose specialist areas include the telecoms sector and pharmaceutical advertising law, Jan Müller-Broich, who advises on copyright and antitrust law as well as product piracy, and Benedikt Frank, who advises on advertising law and specialises in online shops, among others.
The Swatch Group (Omega, Rado, Tissot, Glashütte Original, Longines etc.)
EZB (Europäische Zentralbank)
Bottega Veneta, Italy
Verband der Schweizerischen Uhrenindustrie (FHS)
Guccio Gucci S.p.A.
Vario Büroeinrichtungen GmbH & Co. KG
Valora (backWERK, Ditsch)
Kettler Holding GmbH
- Representing Swatch AG in numerous lawsuits regarding counterfeiting of Swatch watches, including against leading online trading platforms.
- Representing Vodafone GmbH annually in dozens of competition law proceedings (active and passive) against major telecommunications providers in Germany as well as against consumer and competition associations, with a high percentage of these proceedings being preliminary injunction proceedings.
- Representing Rothenberger, a leading manufacturer of pipe tools and machines for sanitary, air conditioning, gas and environmental technology, in trademark, competition and IT law matters.
CBH Rechtsanwälte is experienced in competition law, particularly in the automotive, healthcare, cosmetics and luxury goods sectors. The range of advice includes the review of advertising materials and campaigns, eCommerce-related issues and product safety law. Cologne-based Ingo Jung, Nadja Siebertz , Markus Ruttig and Sascha Vander, the latter with a special focus on IT, are the main contacts for contentious proceedings and strategy support. Since March 2021, Siebertz and Johannes Ristelhuber are jointly responsible for the management of the law firm.
‘Friendly, highly competent, fast, extremely courteous. Reliable partner; comprehensive, professional advice; technically always up to date; respectful interaction and cooperation; excellent support, always tailored in detail to the individual case.’
‘We value Nadja Siebertz for her highly competent and professional advice, her personal commitment and her absolute reliability. She knows how to explain even complicated issues in a comprehensible way. She always takes the time to find practical solutions with the client.’
‘The lawyers at CBH in this area are extremely competent contacts with a high level of specialist knowledge, a very good strategic understanding of the situation and at the same time a very friendly personality. Very good cooperation within the team and with other teams in the company. Topics are always cross-checked on an interdisciplinary basis.’
DLTB /Deutscher Lotto- und Totoblock)
Donaldson Filtration Deutschland GmbH
EagleBurgmann Germany GmbH & Co.
Heckler & Koch
K & S – Kali und Salz AG
Metsä Deutschland GmbH
Metten Stein+Design GmbH & Co. KG
OBI Deutschland GmbH & Co KG
PKV Verband der Privaten Krankenversicherungen e.V.
Saint-Gobain Glass Deutschland GmbH
Siewert & Kau GmbH
Sonae Sierra Deutschland GmbH
Virobuster International GmbH
- Comprehensive advice on competition law for OBI, including support in competition law disputes up to the Federal Court of Justice.
- Advice on competition law to Lenze SE.
- Advice on competition law and representation of Metten Stein + Design GmbH.
IP boutique Harmsen Utescher's competition law practice acts in both an advisory capacity as well as in contentious proceedings. The Hamburg firm is a particularly good choice for mandates requiring the combined competition law and sector expertise in areas such as cosmetics, food and pharmaceutical law. Distribution law matters and know-how protection are further key topics. The main contacts are Martin Kefferpütz , Till Lampel , Christoph Schumann and Matthias Wolter, who, in addition to competition law, also cover antitrust law (Kefferpütz, Schumann and Wolter), trade mark law and IT law (Kefferpütz and Schumann).
The competition law practice of KLAKA Rechtsanwälte, a boutique based in Munich and Düsseldorf, maintains close links to its renowned trade mark practice, but the activity for the Centre for Protection against Unfair Competition constitutes the firm’s second cornerstone. Practice head Ralf Hackbarth and his team, including Stefan Abel, Wolfgang Straub, Carola Onken, Andreas Schulz, Stefan Eck and Ralf-Michael Burkhardt, are among the best-known litigators in Germany.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fast, precise assessment of the legal situation and offering possible solutions, putting yourself in the client’s shoes, easily accessible.’
‘Ralf Hackbarth has many years of experience in the legal field, precise elaboration of problems and development of possible solutions, easily accessible. Forensically skilled.’
‘The partners have very good knowledge of competition law. The work is consistently good even when prepared by a representative or associate. Everyone is very committed, you don’t just deal with complaints, you contribute your own ideas. Briefs are carefully prepared and well structured. You always feel well looked after and in good hands.’
‘Stefan Eck: Committed, works very carefully and thoroughly, always up-to-date in terms of competition law, objective and at the same time convincing appearance in court, great procedural knowledge, excellent presentations, very pleasant personal interaction.’
‘ It just fits, no matter who is addressed. ‘
‘ We would like to point out that Ralf-Michael Burkhardt, Andreas Schulz and Carola Onken are very competent.’
Adelholzener Alpenquellen GmbH
Autec AG gegen BMW AG
Börlind Gesellschaft f. kosmetische Erzeugnisse mbH
Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne
Deutscher Fußball Bund (DFB) e.V.
Lackmann Fleisch- und Feinkostfabrik GmbH
Lafuma Mobilier SAS, Frankreich
Longchamp S.A.S., Paris, Frankreich
Multifilm Sonnen- und Blendschutz GmbH
Nestlé Deutschland AG und Nestlé Nutrition GmbH sowie MAGGI GmbH
Poulsen Roser AS, Dänemark
RUD Ketten Rieger & Dietz GmbH & Co. KG
UniCredit Bank AG
Vignal Systems SA, Venisseux, Frankreich
Villeroy & Boch AG
WWK Lebensversicherung a.G.
YOUR NOW Holding GmbH
Zahnärztlicher Bezirksverband Oberpfalz, Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts, Regensburg
Zentrale zur Bekämpfung unlauteren Wettbewerbs Frankfurt am Main
- Ongoing advice and representation of Longchamp SAS, Paris, France in matters of protection against imitations under competition law and design law, including numerous infringement cases due to imitations of the Le Pliage handbag also against well-known manufacturers and retailers such as Desigual, see Oliver, Tchibo etc.
- Permanent representation of UniCredit Bank AG in trademark, banking and competition law proceedings.
Lubberger Lehment is among the strongest litigation teams in German competition law, as demonstrated again in 2020 with several proceedings before the higher regional courts. Via the offices in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, the group advises a client portfolio known to be particularly loyal, including large international corporations and German companies, who frequently are from the technology, luxury goods and cosmetics sectors. The main contacts are Rani Mallick, Andreas Lubberger (focus on the luxury goods industry, especially on distribution law issues), Martin Fiebig (counterfeit products) and Bernd Weichhaus (focus on direct distribution and misleading consumer matters) in Berlin, Cornelis Lehment (focus on the luxury cosmetics industry, distribution law and parallel imports) and David Weller (digital forms of advertising and sales on the Internet) in Hamburg, who made partner in January 2021, and Benjamin Koch (counterfeit products) in Munich.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fantastic team. You have a broad knowledge of the law.’
‘Benjamin Koch: Always available, extremely reliable, fast and competent advice.’
‘Excellent IP boutique. Outstanding legal expertise combined with modern structures.’
‘Benjamin Koch impresses with excellent know-how, high agility and client friendliness.’
‘Always present, flexible, competent.’
‘To the Point; unpretentious; immensely service oriented.’
Belron (Carglass, junited Autoglas etc.)
Deutsche Gesetzliche Unfallversicherung (DGUV)
Deutsche Entertainment AG
- Representing Apple in competition matters.
- Advising and representing HICKIES in several contentious proceedings against a copycat product.
- Representing Dyson in various court cases, including against competitors.
SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte is a particularly good choice for competition law matters in the areas IT, digital business and media. With an advisory focus on branded content, influencer marketing and eSports, practice head Sascha Pres and his team clearly stand out among competitors. Growth was noticeable in the medicinal cannabis, sports goods and FMCG fields. In addition to its activity in the development of protection strategies for goods and services, the group also handles disputes, increasingly in cross-border proceedings. The in-house legal tech initiative offers clients tailor-made solutions to increase the efficiency of advice. Ulrich Hildebrandt moved to Hildebrandt in January 2021, while in January 2022, Oliver Stöckel from von BOETTICHER Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB, who is particularly well versed in trade mark and competition law in the pharmaceutical industry, joined the team.
Procter & Gamble
OTD Oil Trading
BMF Media Information Technology
El Pato Medien
In competition law, Taylor Wessing is primarily active in advertising law and contentious proceedings. The IP practice is also increasingly aligning itself to the firm's overall focus on the life sciences, with large healthcare companies and pharmaceutical manufacturers among the client roster. Internationally, the firm can draw on its own extensive network in order for a one-stop shop offering for cross-border projects. The head of the practice is Olaf Gillert in Düsseldorf. In July 2020, Nikolai Voss made salary partner in Frankfurt. He mainly covers issues pertaining to advertising campaigns and unfair product counterfeits.
‘ Our contacts do excellent work, are available at all times and offer adequate, pragmatic solutions. Excellent legal knowledge is paired with very good judgment and is communicated in a very pleasant way.’
Scotch Whisky Association
Villeroy & Boch
Arnecke Sibeth Dabelstein is well positioned for competition law matters in the regulated industries thanks to its expertise in the food, chemical and cosmetics industries as well as the healthcare sector. The expertise in sports, media and entertainment law is also called upon at the interface with competition law. Practice head Thomas Körber in Frankfurt and Anton Maria Ostler in Munich and their teams act both forensically and in a purely advisory capacity.
‘Arnecke Sibeth offers a high standard of quality and is very accessible.’
‘Thomas Hertl is always available, which is very much appreciated by clients. He has a clear understanding of competition law and – very important – he is very aware of the differences between German law and that of other countries and is able to explain them easily.’
DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH, DFL e.V., Bundesliga International GmbH und Sportcast GmbH
Twentieth Century Fox of Germany GmbH /Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment Germany GmbH
Karlsruher SC GmbH & Co. KGaA , Karlsruher Sport-Club Mühlburg-Phönix e. V
Büchel GmbH & Co. KG Fahrzeugteilefabrik KG
Asklepios Klinik Gruppe
B&S International B.V.
The Very Good Food Company Inc.
Stada Arzneimittel AG
Telio Management GmbH
VWR International GmbH
Weiss Umwelttechnik GmbH
Werner & Mertz GmbH/tana-Chemie GmbH/Erdal-Rex GmbH
Pharmaserv GmbH/Infrareal GmbH/ Pharmapark Jena GmbH
Big Hug Nutrition GmbH
Dr. Theiss Naturwaren GmbH/Allgäuer Latschenkiefer GmbH
Colliers International Deutschland GmbH
Hans Koeberle, Weissachmühle e.K./Marstall GmbH
Bavaria Weed GmbH
Media Broadcast GmbH
Aurelis Real Estate GmbH & Co. KG
F&E Protective GmbH
Vitamin Well AB/ NOCCO No Carbs Company AB
Pioneer Solutions LLC
E.L.V.I.S. Europäischer Ladungs-Verbund Internationaler Spediteure Aktiengesellschaft
GILDEMEISTER energy solutions GmbH / STEAG GmbH
Arbeitsgemeinschaft für wirtschaftliche Verwaltung e.V.
Renusol Europe GmbH
Alfons Köster & Co. GmbH
Badgequo Deutschland GmbH und UK Ltd.
Corpus Sireo Real Estate GmbH
Theo Sasse e.K./Lagerkorn GmbH
BNS Bergal, Nico & Solitaire Vertriebs GmbH
Chesterton International GmbH Deutschland
Acer Europe SA
Bogenhausener Tor Immobilien GmbH
Axel Toupane und Athlete Management Group
Bavaria Weed GmbH
Brush Technology Ltd.
Renusol Europe GmbH und RBI Solar, Inc.
Sharkoon Technology GmbH
LEONINE Distribution GmbH
- Comprehensive and long-standing advice to Werner & Mertz GmbH on questions of competition law with a focus on environmentally-related advertising, chemicals law (in particular the CLP regulation and biocide regulation) and the labeling of cleaning agents and other consumer goods.
- Extensive and longstanding advice and representation of DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH; The League – League Association eV; Bundesliga International GmbH and Sportcast GmbH in the entire field of commercial legal protection. The team is forensic, advisory and active in trademark registration and regularly conducts complex and legal further court and official proceedings.
- Successful representation of Büchel GmbH & Co. KG Fahrzeugteilefabrik KG to defend against various warnings, in particular warnings from Petzl SAS.
Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB
In competition law, Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB mainly covers advice on advertising strategies, advertising materials and branding. The Düsseldorf boutique's highly specialised soft IP practice is headed by Peter Ruess and well known for its activity in an advisory capacity as well as in court proceedings. The license agreement practice complements the practice, not only in competition law, but also in trade mark, design and copyright law.
Bering Time ApS
eismann Tiefkühl-Heimservice GmbH
Guhl Ikebana GmbH (KAO-Gruppe)
Johanniterorden und Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V.
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Ltd.
Weingut Markus Molitor
Zentis GmbH & Co. KG
- Comprehensive and exclusive advice on all Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Ltd. judicial and extrajudicial disputes. active in IP, including numerous pending infringement proceedings, including support for the launch of the current Playstation.
- Advising the ZENTIS Group on brand strategy and advertising.
Baker McKenzie is active in the transactional arena, including numerous restructurings, as well as in contentious proceedings and also acts in a purely advisory capacity in competition law. The range of expertise includes trade secret protection, advertising law issues, product design and matters at the interface with the right of expression and copyright law, especially in the context of online platforms. The firm's international presence is a particular advantage for cross-border mandates. Michael Fammler and Rembert Niebel in Frankfurt head the practice.
BMH BRÄUTIGAM stands out thanks to its activity in advising Deutsche Bahn and clients from the energy sector. The group focuses on contentious proceedings, especially interim measures and summary proceedings, particularly for large energy companies from the client base. Increasing synergies are also formed between the team's competition law experts and venture capital specialists. Practice head is Johannes Wolf in Berlin.
‘All levels of seniority, pleasant team with extensive forensic experience.’
‘Benedikt Brautigam: Experienced with an eye for the essential.’
‘ Johannes Wolf: Careful and reliable.’
E WIE EINFACH
code & co.
- Extensive advice and representation of E.ON in competition law disputes.
- Advising and representing Vattenfall in competition law disputes nationwide with a focus on Berlin (in particular against GASAG AG, lekker Energie GmbH and their respective sales partners) and Hamburg (against lekker Energie GmbH and their sales partners).
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner is experienced in advising pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers and pharmacies with corresponding expertise demonstrated by Freiburg-based trio Morton Douglas, Norbert Hebei and of counsel Wolfgang Schmid. David Kipping in Cologne offers particularly comprehensive advice on product launches and advertising measures and has many years of litigation experience. Also in Cologne, Stephan Dittl handles matters pertaining to competition, copyright and design law. Anne Bongers-Gehlert, who, in addition to competition law, also comprehensively covers various other IP issues, made local partner at the Freiburg office in January 2021.
‘ Individual support by the partners (if necessary), costs are still reasonable, especially in relation to the performance and the results.’
‘ Stephan Dittl: Pragmatic approach, top quality in pleadings and in negotiations .’
AHP Merkle GmbH
Alexander Bürkle GmbH & Co. KG
Alnatura Produktions- und Handels GmbH und sämtliche Konzernunternehmen (Alnavit, Bonano, People Wear Organic GmbH)
BBraun Melsungen AG/Aesculap AG
Bund für Umwelt und Naturschutz Deutschland e. V. (BUND)
Deutscher Caritas Verband e. V.
Dr. Martens / Airwair Ltd.
Dt. Versandapotheke Fliegende Pillen
EAM GmbH & Co. KG
General Re Corp.
Gloster Furniture Ltd. und Dedon GmbH
HME Copper Germany GmbH
Holle baby food GmbH
IAMS Europe B.V.
KME Germany GmbH & Co. KG
Löwen Frankfurt Eishockey-Betriebs GmbH
Messe Basel (Schweiz)
Minderleinsmühle GmbH & Co. KG
Schwarzwaldmilch GmbH Freiburg
Securetec Detektions-Systeme AG
Spectrum Brands Inc.
Triaz Group GmbH
Wilkinson Sword GmbH
Zentralverband Deutsches Kraftfahrzeuggewerbe e. V.
- Comprehensive advice and representation of Puckator Ltd. in cases of product counterfeiting and advice on product labeling law; Lead Counsel for IP litigation across the EU.
- Advising erima GmbH on competitive performance protection and position marks in the sportswear sector regarding the client’s 5 Cube design.
- Representation of Dr. Martens / Airwair Ltd. on a large scale against manufacturers and dealers of imitations/lookalikes on the basis of ancillary protection under competition law.
In competition law, IP-Boutique Grünecker specialises in plagiarism and misleading advertising, but also advises on a wide range of matters. Representation in contentious scenarios, especially interim measures and summary proceedings, feature among the core competences as well as licensing matters and the interface with copyright. The team around the management quartet Anja Franke , Holger Gauss , Maximilian Kinkeldey and Nicolás Schmitz is active both at national and international level.
‘ The quality of advice is ‘next level’, both in terms of legal expertise and strategic advice. In our opinion, this is one of the best that exists internationally. ‘
‘Holger Gauss: Sharp mind!’
‘The quality of the advice is very good. In a very short time you get an objective assessment and there is only a dispute if the chances of success are very good. Fast reaction and best availability.’
‘Holger Gauss: Competent and unconventional. I really enjoy working with him.’
Republic Technologies Group
- Advising Hermès on the launch of a new luxury product in the area of bags and luggage with regard to possible infringements of several community design patents and violations of the UWG.
- Representation of the Republic Technologies Group in the out-of-court enforcement of intellectual property rights by means of warnings and representation before the EUIPO and the courts. In addition, advice in related areas of competition law such as tobacco law, pharmaceutical law and food law.
- Obtaining an antitrust cease and desist for FederRock regarding a certain type of cardigans and advising on various contractual issues, as well as advising on new design registrations.
In competition law, Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek is active both in contentious proceedings and in an advisory capacity. The group focuses on traditional advertising law, e-commerce issues and the interface with copyright and data protection law. The practice is headed by Dominik Eickemeier in Cologne and Markus Lennartz in Frankfurt. Christian Spintig in Hamburg and salaried partner Antje Münch are among the key contacts and comprehensively cover the IP field.
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER has a strong focus on anti-counterfeiting measures, where the team often advises in close cooperation with the competition and trade mark experts. Product launches form another core topic, with the team also assisting with labeling requirements in areas such as cosmetics and medical device law. Growth areas include trade and business secret protection as well as data protection matters. As part of the European IP boutique, the German team advises on cross-border mandates with a multidisciplinary cross-office approach. Thomas Schmitz in Düsseldorf is head of the practice, which also includes Christina Tenbrock (trade mark, design and competition law) and Mathis Breuer, who made partner in January 2021 (trade mark law, competition and pharmaceutical advertising law as well as design and copyright law). Tobias Hahn, well versed in patent law, also has profound experience in competition law.
Dr. Kurt Wolff/ Dr. August Wolff
Tom Rossau A/S
- Comprehensive group-wide representation of Dr. Kurt Wolff/Dr. August Wolff in competition law matters, including in the area of cosmetics law and drug advertising law, and in a large number of preliminary injunction and main proceedings regarding disputes with well-known competitors and discounters, including in the product areas of Covid-19 and disinfection, dental care (Karex) and hair care (Alpecin, Plantur); EU-wide process coordination in these procedures.
- Takeover of the former Nestlé Skin Healthcare/Galderma portfolio of the leading German children’s skin care brand Bübchen, extensive product advice and support with regard to trademark, cosmetics and competition law.
- Extensive ongoing advice to Katjes Fassin on trademark and competition law, in particular in connection with product approvals, advertising material and claims, including aspects of German food law.
JONAS Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Cologne-based JONAS Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH comprehensively advises on all aspects of competition law. Karl Hamacher, Martin Viefhues, Nils Weber and Markus Robak advise with a particular emphasis on entrepreneurial thinking, including expertise in product labeling and design as well as product-related advertising materials, advertising law and PR issues as well as matters in the distribution law context. The additional expertise in media and company communications and in intellectual property law complements the advisory offering.
Loschelder's competition law practice mainly focuses on contentious proceedings, with a particular emphasis on summary proceedings. The team also frequently advises on supplementary protection rights under competition law and trade secret protection. Thomas Schulte-Beckhausen , Stefan Maassen and Patrick Pommerening are the key contacts at the Cologne firm.
- Representation of the BIEK (Federal Association of Parcel and Express Logistics) in fundamental proceedings against the market leader to comply with the requirements of the driver ordinance.
- Representing Armacell GmbH in proceedings against insulation panels with incorrect fire classification, obtaining a confirmatory judgment from the Hamburg Higher Regional Court; also support of the criminal proceedings, which led to a search of the opponent.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH renders specialised expertise in the luxury goods industry and the retail sector, both of which are part of the day-to-day workload of Detlef Mäder in Cologne and Geert Johann Seelig in Hamburg. The competition law practice is closely aligned with the trade mark team and advises on influencer marketing, advertising campaigns, consumer protection law and clients’ representation in contentious proceedings. The firm, jointly with French law firm FIDAL, launched the international organisation unyer in May 2021, designated for law firms and other service providers to expand and consolidate their international activities.
Imperial Tobacco Ltd./Reemtsma Cigarettenfabriken GmbH
Daniel Wellington AB
The Nomad Company B.V.
Same Deutz-Fahr Deutschland GmbH
Molkerei Ammerland eG
VAG GmbH / CENTA/ Rexnord
Warsteiner Brauerei Haus Kramer KG/Warsteiner International KG
EDCO Eindhoven B.V.
Saint Gobain Glass
VDL Groep N.V.
JOYSONQUIN Automotive Systems GmbH
National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences – Emmy Awards
Spindel- und Lagerungstechnik Fraureuth GmbH
Zeller+Gmelin GmbH & Co. KG
Berufsverband der Augenärzte Deutschland
Makita Werkzeug GmbH
NB Green Cosmetics GmbH
- Ongoing advice and representation of Reemtsma / Imperial Tobacco Ltd. in competition law disputes (including e-cigarettes, chewing tobacco), in and out of court; Management of the German trademark portfolio, trademark applications, data protection, IT, regulatory and corporate law advice.
- Ongoing advice to achtung! GmbH in all trademark and competition law disputes as well as in personality and copyright issues. In addition, advice on data protection law and trademark management.
- Advising Harley-Davidson on numerous competition law issues, including representation in disputes and the enforcement of trademark and competition law claims.
In competition law, Noerr strongly focuses on contentious proceedings, with corresponding expertise located at its Munich and Berlin offices. Thanks to the international orientation of the German-founded firm in Central and Eastern Europe, Spain, Great Britain, Russia and the US, the team is well positioned for cross-border disputes, especially pan-European proceedings. Trade secret protection, product design and advertising measures are routinely handled in contentious scenarios. Tobias Dolde, active at both the Alicante and Munich offices, heads the team. Christoph Rieken (trade mark, unfair competition and design law as well as copyright) in Munich made equity partner in January 2021; Jessica Loew in Berlin, who advises extensively in the IP sector, made non-equity partner.
Kanebo Cosmetics Europe Ltd. & Kanebo Cosmetics Deutschland GmbH
Barry’s Bootcamp LLC
Crocs Inc, Crocs Europe B.V.
geobra Brandstätter Stiftung & Co. KG
Regeneron Phamaceuticals Inc.
Thomas Beton GmbH/Thomas Concrete Group
ISS Deutschland AG
Micromobility Systems AG
Thomas-Cook (Insolvenzverwalter hww)
OilQuick Deutschland KG
Abercrombie & Fitch
BASF SE (and affiliates)
Condor Flugdienst GmbH
Eurofighter Jagdflugzeug GmbH
Federation Internationale de L‘Automobile (FIA)
Grand Slam Tennis Properties Ltd.
Horizon Hobby Inc.
Kapten & Son GmbH
King Digital Entertainment
La Selva Toskana Feinkost Vertriebs GmbH
Mutares SE & Co. KGaA
Podravka (prehrambena industriJa d.d.)
Rare Beauty, LLC
Right Livelihood Award Foundation
Schutzverband Dresdner Stollen e.V
Sovereign Brands, LLC
Stiftelsen The Greta Thunberg and Beata Ernman Foundation
Tracoe Medical GmbH
Volvo Trademark Holding AB
Wüstenrot & Württembergische AG
arena Italia S.p.A.
AVON Cosmetics GmbH
Mobility Trader GmbH (Hey Car)
- Strategic advice to Regeneron Pharmaceuticals on the naming of Covid-19 drugs as well as global trademark and litigation advice.
In 2020, Osborne Clarke further expanded its cross-border dispute practice. The firm's international positioning was useful during this process, also thanks to the cross-border information management within the firm. The team, led by practice head Marcus Sacré in Cologne, offers special expertise in the digital economy, where the group also advises on the interface to data protection and licensing agreements, as well as model proceedings in the automotive sector, for example on connected cars. Matthias Kloth in Hamburg is the key contact for trade mark, design and competition law matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team around partner Marcus Sacré has a high level of expertise in the area of the Independent Automotive After Market (IAM). Due to the extensive industry knowledge and legal expertise as well as experience in relevant court proceedings, the team is therefore highly recommended for companies active in the IAM sector. ‘
‘Because of his experience, Marcus Sacré deserves special mention.’
‘Very high service and solution orientation. Very fast response times. Excellent ability to explain complex issues. Good cost transparency.’
Pinsent Masons Germany LLP
Pinsent Masons Germany LLP stands out due to its focus on the digital economy. Integrated into the firm's Digital Single Market team, the group is active in advising in the life sciences, healthcare, technology, industrial as well as the financial sectors. The team's expertise in digital marketing and regular advertising law complement each other well, both in licensing issues and in the clearing of products and services. Another cornerstone is the group's experience in pharmaceutical advertising law. The team advises on all aspects of advertising campaigns, including forensic matters. In May 2021, Nils Rauer in Frankfurt took over the management of the German IP group. His predecessor, Marc Holtorf in Munich, continues to head the Risk Advisory Group, to which the competition law practice is attached. The firm has several legal tech offerings, including project management solutions and a brand management tool.
Party Fiesta Deutschland GmbH
Pierre Fabre Dermo-Kosmetik GmbH
QVC Handel S.á r.l. & Co. KG
ŠKODA Auto Deutschland GmbH
Preu Bohlig & Partner
In January 2021, Preu Bohlig & Partner expanded its competition law practice with the addition of Jan Peter Heidenreich at the Hamburg office, previously at Harmsen Utescher. Heidenreich's expertise in contentious proceedings, including advertising measures, licensing and distribution agreements as well as antitrust issues complement the firm's well-known litigation practice, which further increased its market presence. The competition law practice is integrated into the wider IP group, thus the group is well positioned for mandates pertaining to trade mark, design and copyright law as well as patent aspects. This includes issues such as product piracy and defending against unfair competitive behaviour. In addition, experience in media law and the protection of personal rights is also offered. With Astrid Gérard, Andreas Haberl, Jürgen Schneider and Ludwig von Zumbusch, four practice group heads are based in Munich. Torben Düsing and Matthias Hülsewig in Düsseldorf and Christian Donle in Berlin complete the management septet.
Candice Cooper AG
Christo Mare Yachting Sp.zo.o.
Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A.
Erich Adam Warenhandelsgesellschaft mbH
Frey + Lau GmbH
Global Distribution GmbH
Golf Brothers GmbH
Golf Versand Hannover GmbH
Gustav Magenwirth GmbH & Co. KG
Hans-H. Hasbargen GmbH & Co. KG
Hodforming GmbH gegen Heatforming GmbH
Insider Yacht Manufaktur GmbH
Koenig & Bauer AG
Monz Handelsgesellschaft International mbH & Co. KG
Möve Bikes GmbH
Newbox Medical GmbH
Sunchairs GmbH & Co. KG
Training Base Weeze GmbH
Ventec Central Europe GmbH
Vitra International AG
In competition law, Raue acts both as an advisor and forensically, with industry experience in the healthcare and media sectors being a particular strength. The group advises on anti-counterfeiting issues, advertising law and e-commerce matters, often in close cooperation with its trade mark experts. The Berlin-based firm also fields copyright and data protection specialists who cover interface aspects. Key contacts include Markus Plesser, Robert Heine, who advises extensively in the IP sector, and Felix Laurin Stang, who made equity partner in January 2021. Anna-Sophie Hollenders (media, copyright, eCommerce) made non-equity partner in the same month.
Schmitt Teworte-Vey Simon & Schumacher
Cologne-based specialist boutique Schmitt Teworte-Vey Simon & Schumacher has quickly established a market presence in competition law as well as IP and media law since it was founded in 2019. The four founding partners Jan Schumacher, Marie Teworte-Vey, Christian Schmitt and Gesa Simon are active in an advisory capacity on advertising law issues as well as in clients' representation, including in interface matters pertaining to pharmaceutical advertising and food law.
‘Professionally very strong, personable and unpretentious.’
‘Pragmatic, creative, combative, good client understanding.’
‘Marie Teworte-Vey shows the necessary commitment in every phase of the mandate and always develops suitable solutions and strategies.’
‘Christian Schmitt is very pragmatic, has a good understanding of the client’s processes, challenges and processes, and is cost-conscious.’
Becton Dickinson GmbH
CHRIST Juweliere und Uhrmacher seit 1863 GmbH
FCF-Gruppe / EatHappy ToGo GmbH
IMPULS Finanzmanagement AG
JT International Germany GmbH
Metro Deutschland GmbH
Privatbrauerei Gaffel Becker & Co. OHG
TEDi GmbH & Co. KG
UTS innovative Softwaresysteme GmbH
- Ongoing advice to Becton Dickinson on various medical devices in the area of competition law/drug advertising law.
- Advising JT International Germany GmbH in an extensive competition law dispute regarding the design of the sales modalities, in particular regarding the tobacco tax law ban on coupling and freebies.
- Comprehensive advice to CHRIST Juweliere und Uhrmacher von 1863 GmbH in all areas of competition and advertising law.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons predominantly advises on competition law in the life sciences sector. With the arrival of Thomas Gniadek in July 2020, the group expanded both the patent and competition law expertise in the technology sector, which is another core industry of the firm. The team is particularly active in contentious proceedings, such as the representation of WetterOnline against the Federal Republic of Germany regarding the admissibility of the weather warning app by the German Weather Service. The German team cooperates closely with the other European offices, but also with the teams in Asia, on cross-border matters. Daniel Kendziur in Munich is the key contact for competition law. Patent expert Peter Meyer in Düsseldorf heads the rest of the IP group. Michael Knospe switched to of counsel status in May 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Clear and practical communication.’
‘Good specialist knowledge that is used in a practical manner.’
‘ High level of competence and practice-oriented solutions, excellent lawyers.’
‘ Michael Knospe has extensive knowledge of intellectual property law and is an excellent litigator.’
Admiral Sportwetten GmbH
Apple & Pear Australie Ltd.
ATLAS Technology B.V./ Lightyear
Audi Business Innovation GmbH
Didi Mobility Ltd.
Domaine de la Romanée-Conti
Dutchclamp B.V. und Dutchclamp GmbH
Frostkrone Tiefkühlkost GmbH
Löwen Entertainment GmbH
Müller Milch Group
Revox Deutschland GmbH
Samsung Electronics GmbH
Shenzhen HeyTap Technology Co., Ltd. (OPPO)
The Polo/Lauren Company L.P. (Polo Ralph Lauren)
- Defense of Dutchclamp against three parallel lawsuits by id-Technik GmbH (district courts Düsseldorf and Arnsberg as well as labor court Mannheim) regarding the violation of alleged trade secrets in the field of elastic rubber inserts for cable clamps.
International law firm White & Case LLP is a popular address for cross-border disputes and projects. The competition law and trade mark expertise of Markus Mette (Hamburg) and his team is primarily called upon by technology-related corporations, clients from the automotive sector and – the particularly fast-growing client field – life sciences and pharmaceutical industries. In addition, the team is well versed in social media matters. The in-house Practice Technology team supports the group and clients with the development of applications to facilitate the efficient handling of mandates, such as eDiscovery applications. Local partner Stefan Haiplik (Hamburg) is an IT and IP expert and advises on advertising measures and branding, among others.
Other key lawyers:
- Advice on trademark and unfair competition law to an Asian automobile manufacturer on the international advertising campaign for the launch of a new model, including defense against alleged infringement claims by other manufacturers.
- Advising a large US pharmaceutical company on EU and US protection of secrets law as part of the international strategic orientation of certain fields of action at the interface to antitrust law.
- Representing Facebook in numerous international litigation, both in and out of court, spanning more than 160 jurisdictions on six continents.
Headed by Frankfurt-based Vanessa Wettner, WilmerHale specialises in extensive, strategically important contentious proceedings. The e-commerce sector generates the lion's share of the team's workload, but the group is also active in advising clients from the consumer goods, fashion and pharmaceutical industries. The team is predominantly instructed by large international corporations and routinely advises at the interface between competition law and data protection law, as well as on related consumer law aspects. Wettmer's experience in mass litigation is another strength. In a purely advisory capacity, the team assists with the clearing of advertising campaigns, licensing agreements and transactions. The group has particularly close ties with the US colleagues.
Becton Dickinson B.V.
Bitmanagement Software GmbH
Bundesrepublik Deutschland – Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie
Syngenta Agro GmbH
Hugo Boss AG
Bundesinnung der Hörakustiker
- Representing Facebook in numerous proceedings, in particular regarding the GDPR and the NetzDG, including numerous proceedings of particular strategic importance as they relate to essential features of Facebook, such as the fan pages, the Like button, the real name principle and the interaction between the communities that apply on Facebook standards and the specifications of the NetzDG.
- Successful defense of Medtronic against injunctive relief claims from a brand troll known across Europe.
- Advising Becton Dickinson on matters of competition, product liability and distribution law, in particular defense against a former sales partner’s lawsuit for compensation under Section 89b HGB and damages in the amount of around €10 million.