Unfair competition in Germany
Bird & Bird LLP impresses with an international orientation and the close cooperation between its trade mark and competition practices. With strong teams in Germany and in other offices of its network, the firm is predestined to advise on cross-border matters and accordingly possesses longstanding experience in assisting with strategically important cross-border issues. The team around practice head Christian Harmsen is particularly well versed in the automotive, life sciences, consumer goods and retail sectors as well as in the media, telecoms and technology industries. Alongside the representation in contentious proceedings, the service spectrum also includes transactional advice and competition law advice related to product launches as well as assistance with the design of advertising materials and company communication. While Sebastian Fischoeder joined Taylor Wessing in September 2019, trade mark specialists Frederik Thiering and senior counsel Marion Jacob joined the Hamburg office in January 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Deutsche Tele Medien GmbH
JustFab / TechStyle
My eliquid GmbH
Philip Morris GmbH
ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG / SevenVentures
Schwarze & Schlichte
Teva GmbH / ratiopharm GmbH
- AUDI AG: Representation in several disputes, advice in connection with various legal requirements and the market launch of the Audi e-tron.
- ProSiebenSat.1 Media AG / SevenVentures: Comprehensive ongoing advice on various IP transactions as well as advice on business models.
- Take-Two Interactive: Successful competition law suit against a developer and distributor of cheating and griefing programs for the blockbuster game Grand Theft Auto V.
In the competition law space, CMS is particularly active for life sciences and consumer goods companies which the team primarily advises on marketing and advertising issues. The team around practice heads Thomas Manderla, who is well versed in in- and out-of-court representation, and life sciences specialist Jörn Witt assists numerous large international companies which also benefit from the team's longstanding experience in cross-border matters. The insurance sector is another focus for the group, not least because of its in-house insurance experts and the wealth of experience in trade secret protection matters. For the latter area, the firm developed the three-tiered advice tool CMS PROTECT which is used for the development of protection concepts. The team's key contacts include Heike Blank in Cologne whose special areas of expertise are trade secret violations and product launches. Ilse Rohr retired in January 2020.
Danckelmann & Kerst
Frankfurt boutique Danckelmann & Kerst is renowned for its activity in numerous landmark proceedings in the telecoms sector as well as for its advice to the Centre for Protection against Unfair Competition. With over 20 years of experience in this constellation, the partner trio Nikolaus Konstantin Rehart, Jan-Felix Isele and Hans-Jürgen Ruhl is an extremely well-coordinated team which, alongside its wide-ranging forensic advice, including regular involvement in the most important Federal Court of Justice proceedings, is also one of the most established addresses for its contributions to scientific literature. Further strengths lay in contracts as well as in the coordination of international proceedings for which the team cooperates with the Mackrell network. The client base includes large corporations alongside numerous medium-sized companies and associations.
' Nikolaus Konstantin Rehart loves to win, delves into the details (and can remember them extremely well even over long periods of time), understands the business side very well and has good business judgment. But above all, he is extremely well versed in competition law, knows a lot of tricks and tips and always approaches cases in terms of both content and process in order to turn even hopeless situations around. Really impressive. '
Emma Sleep GmbH (vormals Bettzeit GmbH)
Energie Versorgung Offenbach AG
Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KG aA
Roche Diabetes Care Deutschland GmbH
Telekom Deutschland GmbH/Deutsche Telekom AG
MVV Energie AG
N&L Elektrotechnik GmbH
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
Wiener Feinbäckerei Heberer GmbH
Emma Matratzen GmbH
Dunlopillo Deutschland GmbH
Stadtwerke Kiel AG
Thermo Fisher Konzern
Toll 4 Europe GmbH
Paul Hartmann AG
- Telekom Germany GmbH: Representation in the basic procedure on the admissibility of advertising with test results and in particular on the question of the extent to which test victories can be described in one's own words.
- Telekom Germany GmbH: Representation in several UWG disputes on the new 5G mobile radio standard; first proceedings (in Hamburg and Düsseldorf) already in the appointment.
- Competition headquarters: Representation in the fundamental proceedings for the ban on promotional gifts for pharmacy customers with a prescription from a doctor.
Hamburg boutique offering Harte-Bavendamm Rechtsanwälte enjoys an excellent reputation and provides advice to a broad sector spectrum with consumer goods and food industries representing solid core areas. The group is regularly involved in contentious high-profile proceedings, but also acts in purely advisory capacity, for instance in relation to product launches. Its competence at the interface to trade mark and copyright law is a clear strength of the team. Key figures include Malte Lieckfeld, Arne Lambrecht, firm founder Henning Harte-Bavendamm, Karolina Schöler and Andrea Jaeger-Lenz, who, alongside competition law, also comprehensively cover other areas of IP, as well as Michael Goldmann who is particularly well regarded for competition advice. In January 2020, trade mark specialists Frederik Thiering and Marion Jacob joined Bird & Bird LLP.
Other key lawyers:
'' Exceptionally deep knowledge of industrial property rights, especially trademark and competition law. '
' Very practical and solution-oriented. Always provides practical legal advice. '
' Michael Goldmann: Impressively deep knowledge of intellectual property law, in particular trademark and competition law. Always clear in his legal advice. Literally always available and extremely responsive. '
' We find the speed of reaction and the quality of the legal advice outstanding .'
' Arne Lambrecht provides legally sound, at the same time pragmatic and practical legal advice. He is always available and provides competent solutions for business practice. '
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz
Ellegaard Minipigs A/S
Levi Strauss & Co.
Procter & Gamble
Scandlines Deutschland GmbH
- Nestlé group of companies: Representation in competition law disputes as well as anti-counterfeiting processes before the customs offices; high number of mandates for the introduction of new food products of all kinds worldwide.
- Olaplex: Comprehensive advice and representation on protection against product piracy.
- Säkaphen GmbH: General advice on trademark, competition and copyright issues; including successful legal representation in several injunction proceedings before the LG Hamburg.
Thanks to its international orientation, Hogan Lovells International LLP remains an excellent choice for cross-border matters. The team's broad advice offering enables comprehensive assistance not only with competition and trade secrets law, but also with trade mark, design and copyright matters. In the market, the practice particularly stands out for its clearly innovation-oriented advice and has experience in assisting with influencer marketing and digital technologies among other topics. Burkhart Goebel in Hamburg heads the global IPMT practice of the firm. Miriam Gundt in Düsseldorf leads the European IPMT practice, while the Hamburg-based Andreas Bothe is responsible for the German IPMT practice. In January 2020, Marion Fischer (competition, trade secrets and trade mark law, particularly in relation to transactions and contracts) in Munich and Patrick Fromlowitz (trade mark, copyright and design law, focus on disputes) in Hamburg made counsel.
Other key lawyers:
Canyon Bicycles GmH
Deutsche Industrieanlagen GmbH
H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB
Home Shopping Europe GmbH
Machineseeker Group GmbH
Merck & Co. Inc.
Moomin Characters Oy Ltd.
Vorwerk & Co. KG
Wikimedia Foundation, US
- Marimekko Corporation: Legal representation and advice in relation to copyright infringement and unfair competitive acts regarding the design of a bag as well as negotiation of an out-of-court settlement.
- Machineseeker Group GmbH: Representation in various trademark and competition law disputes regarding the illegal takeover of advertisements and photographic material provided with a watermark, various interim injunction and administrative proceedings, including against the company Trademachines.
- H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB: Advising and representing the client and its German subsidiaries in various preliminary injunction proceedings and main proceedings brought by PUMA SE before the regional and higher regional courts in Munich and Düsseldorf, including counterclaims raised by the client regarding shoe models.
bock legal Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten's competition law practice focuses on contentious proceedings in the telecoms sectors, where the team advises on both disputes between competitors as well as on matters against associations. Hereby, the Frankfurt boutique offering provides a comprehensive IP advice spectrum and enjoys a good market reputation for both its strong trade mark and design practice as well as its assistance with patent disputes. Practice head Andreas Bock's individual expertise mirrors this focus.
' Well-coordinated team of experts. '
' Andreas Bock and Benedikt Frank are proven experts in competition law. '
The Swatch Group AG
Europäische Zentralbank (EZB)
Guccio Gucci S.p.A.
Bottega Veneta SA
Verband der Schweizerischen Uhrenindustrie FHS
Vario Büroeinrichtungen GmbH & Co. KG
Schwinn Beschläge GmbH
MRH Trowe Gruppe
Reimo Reisemobil GmbH
CEBI Italy S.p.A.
COMPO GmbH & Co. KG
Infectopharm Arzneimittel und Consilium GmbH / Pädia GmbH
- The Swatch Group AG, Schweiz: Comprehensive representation in Germany in all matters relating to the infringement of registered and unregistered designs, trademark infringements and competition violations, but also copyright, online, distribution law and border seizure proceedings.
- Vodafone GmbH: Numerous nationwide competition law proceedings (active and passive) before all relevant regional and higher regional courts against large telecommunications providers as well as against consumer organizations and competition associations, a large proportion of which concern preliminary injunction proceedings. In addition, regular advice on nationwide advertising campaigns.
- Infectopharm Arzneimittel and Consilium GmbH / Pädia GmbH: Comprehensive advice on trademark law, UWG, HWG, AMG; Advice and representation in disputes, including with other pharmaceutical companies; including several contentious infringement proceedings (active and passive) against a direct competitor before the Hamburg Regional and Higher Regional Court.
Alongside traditional competition law expertise, DLA Piper also fields a well-equipped team for competition law frameworks of digital products and services as well as experience in trade secrets protection. Here, the group acts in both forensic as well as advisory capacity, for instance for product launches, advertising campaign launches and marketing measures as well as for the development and implementation of protection strategies. The interface between competition and public law, particularly with regards to data protection and gambling law, is covered by a team that is specifically composed for this area. For clients with cross-border needs, the group can rely on its own extensive international network, thereby offering international one-stop advice. The team's sector focuses include the media, technology, consumer goods and fashion industries. Life sciences companies and clients from the hospitality sector also increasingly trust the group's expertise. It is led by Stefan Engels who acts both in advisory capacity as well as in contentious matters. Ulrike Grübler joined ERLBURG Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH in February 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Burkhard Führmeyer; Kai Tumbrägel
'' Very experienced team that exchanges and supports each other across the boundaries of the sub-areas of intellectual property protection. '
' Very competent advice with very short response times. Binding and very pleasant cooperation. '
About You GmbH
Ansys Germany GmbH
Axel Springer SE
Bethesda Softworks LLC
Geely Auto Technical (Deutschland) GmbH
Globe Union Germany GmbH & Co. KG; Toom GmbH (REWE)
Mondelez Deutschland Services GmbH & Co. KG
Ralph Lauren Europe
Samsung Electronics GmbH
Wort & Bild Verlag Konradshöhe GmbH & Co. KG
- About You GmbH: Advice on the expansion of the web shop in Europe and the corresponding advertising (consumer protection, e-commerce and related issues).
- Bacardi: Representation in a dispute with an important competitor because of the use of impermissible product labels.
- Samsung Electronics GmbH: Representation in a dispute with a global competitor due to an unfair worldwide advertising campaign for a new product group.
At KLAKA Rechtsanwälte, clients both encounter a competition practice that closely cooperates with its trade mark team, particularly in the automotive, fashion, pharmaceutical and insurance sectors, as well as an independent competition practice that stands out for its longstanding advice to the Centre for Protection against Unfair Competition, here especially with regards to medical, pharmacy and pharmaceutical law. Ralf Hackbarth, who specialises in the enforcement of trade mark and design rights, jointly heads the practice with Wolfgang Straub, who frequently acts for energy suppliers and local utility companies. Banks and insurance also rely on the team.
Other key lawyers:
Adelholzener Alpenquellen GmbH
Alcar Holding GmbH
BigBen Interactive S.A. (Frankreich)
Börlind Gesellschaft f. kosmetische Erzeugnisse mbH
Bureau National Interprofessionnel du Cognac
Deutscher Fußball Bund (DFB)
Helene Hetzenecker GmbH
Infineon Technologies AG
Lackmann Fleisch- und Feinkostfabrik GmbH
Lafuma Mobilier SAS
Multifilm Sonnen- und Blendschutz GmbH ./. Glashart AG
Nestlé Deutschland AG und Nestlé Nutrition GmbH sowie MAGGI GmbH
Poulsen Roser AS, Dänemark
RUD Ketten Rieger & Dietz GmbH & Co. KG
UniCredit Bank AG
Vignal Systems SA, Venisseux, Frankreich
Villeroy & Boch AG
WWK Lebensversicherung a.G.
Zahnärztlicher Bezirksverband Oberpfalz e. V.
Zentrale zur Bekämpfung unlauteren Wettbewerbs
- Headquarters for Combating Unfair Competition: Permanent representation in numerous competition law matters, especially basic proceedings; most recently: Tesla lawsuit for misleading advertising for Tesla's autopilot.
- Longchamp SAS: Ongoing advice and representation in matters of competition and design law protection against counterfeiting; numerous cases of injury due to imitations of the Le Pliage handbag, including against well-known manufacturers and retailers such as Desigual, see Oliver and Tchibo.
- UniCredit Bank AG: Permanent representation in trademark, banking and competition law proceedings.
Lubberger Lehment remains one of the most powerful firms in contentious matters while simultaneously expanding its Munich-based transactional practice with relevant new mandates. Numerous large international and German companies across a broad sector spectrum, including the luxury goods, technology and cosmetics sectors, have been part of its client base for years. The fight against product counterfeiting is one of the team's mainstays, and particularly of Martin Fiebig und Benjamin Koch. In addition to them, Kai Schmidt-Hern (focus on luxury goods and media industries as well as on startup advice), Rani Mallick (focus on product counterfeiting, imitations and parallel imports) and Bernd Weichhaus (focus on direct distribution and consumer deception) as well as name partners Andreas Lubberger (focus on luxury goods sector, particularly in distribution matters) and Cornelis Lehment (focus on luxury cosmetics industry, distribution law and parallel imports) represent the practice's central pillars.
Autocom Diagnostic Partner AB
Belron (Carglass, junited Autoglas etc.)
Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Cotta Collection GmbH
Deutsche Entertainment AG
- Adolf Würth GmbH & Co. KG: Advice and representation in relation to counterfeit products.
- Apple: Permanent advice.
- Dyson: Representation in various legal proceedings in the area of UWG against competitors.
In the competition law space, SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte focuses on e-sports as well as branded content and influencer marketing, while in 2019/20 the group also strengthened its position in the medical cannabis and know-how protection areas as well as its advice to life sciences and pharmaceutical companies. The firm follows an interdisciplinary approach which builds on the incorporation of experts from other areas, for instance media and IT, to advise on its various topics. In January 2020, the Berlin-based Sascha Pres made partner which underlined the firm's litigation practice. Practice head Margret Knitter in Munich assists with strategic matters as well as judicial disputes.
' Margret Knitter is a top trademark and competition lawyer who has an excellent track record and is very technology-savvy. When providing advice, she is always up to date with the latest trends and has excellent knowledge that she knows how to use. She is also very pleasant to work with. '
' Very responsive and practical advice. Competent contacts are always available. '
' Margret Knitter is an excellent lawyer. Very good legal knowledge, but at the same time very practical and precise in advice. Understand exactly the needs of the client. Can always be reached by phone or email and never leaves a request unanswered. '
Procter & Gamble
OTD Oil Trading
BMF Media Information Technology
El Pato Medien
- Procter & Gamble Service GmbH: Representing the client in an extensive legal dispute in several jurisdictions against one of the largest global competitors in the field of feminine hygiene products.
- Sanity Group GmbH: Advice on all questions relating to the admissibility of advertising messages.
- Velux Germany GmbH: Representation and advice on competition and trademark law for the German sales company.
Since October 2019, Taylor Wessing fields the specifically created Trade Secret Protection unit which has an interdisciplinary, cross-office set-up. The competition law practice is composed of a litigious and advisory part; the latter handles strategically important matters alongside longstanding advice on competition issues. Thanks to its strong trade mark and patent law practice and the firm's international set-up, the team around practice head Olaf Gillert in Düsseldorf is also a good choice for instructions that require comprehensive IP advice as well as experience in cross-border matters. Andreas Meissner (particular experience in the fashion and media industries) changed into of counsel status in January 2020, while Sebastian Fischoeder, a specialist in unconventional trade marks, joined the team as salary partner from Bird & Bird LLP in September 2019. Katharina Reuer in Hamburg and Christian Tenkhoff in Munich, of whom both act in advisory as well as forensic capacity in competition law, made salary partner in July 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Christ Juweliere und Uhrmacher seit 1863 GmbH
Flatworld Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
FujiFilm Corporation und FujifilmEurope
Scotch Whiskey Association
Villeroy & Boch
- CHECK 24: Constant advice on competition law and representation in numerous matters.
- Develey: Constant advice on brand and competition law (including Löwensenf, Bautzner and Mautner Markhof).
- Villeroy & Boch: Strategic advice on brands and designs as well as unfair competition.
Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB
Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB specialises in the assistance with strategic matters. Alongside the representation in contentious matters, the group also provides expertise in contractual issues and, a particular strength of the firm, in development and implementation of advertising strategies and advertisement materials. Name partner Peter Ruess represents clients both in proceedings against competitors as well as against consumer centres and competition associations. Pharmaceutical-advertising law issues are also part of the advice spectrum.
Bundesverband Deutscher Tabakwaren-Großhändler und Automatenaufsteller e.V. (BDTA)
eismann Tiefkühl-Heimservice GmbH
Guhl Ikebana GmbH (KAO-Gruppe)
PASCOE pharmazeutische Präparate GmbH
Seats and Sofas GmbH
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Ltd.
SUBARU Deutschland GmbH
tobaccoland Automatengesellschaft mbH & Co. KG
- SUBARU Germany GmbH: Permanent and comprehensive advice to the client, among other things, on competition law, drafting contracts and representation in proceedings against competition associations.
- PASCOE pharmaceutical preparations GmbH: Ongoing advice on HWG and UWG issues.
- tobaccoland Automatengesellschaft mbH & Co. KG: Ongoing advice on advertising law issues; if necessary, cooperation with administrative colleagues.
BEITEN BURKHARDT has continued to strengthen the cooperation between its Munich and Frankfurt offices in 2019 and 2020, not least due to the strategical use of legal tech. The team's focuses lay in the sports, computer games, commerce, publishing and radio broadcasting industries, where, alongside various large international companies, also a considerable number of medium-sized companies relies on the firm. The group's broad advice spectrum is particularly beneficial in matters touching on various areas of law, for instance with regards to copyright and trade mark aspects, since the group is able to draw on its in-house experts if necessary. Contentious proceedings are part of the team's expertise just as much as its purely advisory activity, for instance in relation to advertising material reviews and business model reviews. Matthias Stecher in Munich, who comprehensively covers IP, unfair competition and international trade law, and the Frankfurt-based Andreas Lober, who focuses on technology, digitalisation and electronical entertainment, jointly head the team.
Other key lawyers:
Antenne Bayern GmbH & Co. KG
Autohaus Gotthard König GmbH
Deutscher Fußball-Bund e.V.
Deutscher Golf Verband
Holzmann Medien GmbH
SCHUFA Holding AG
1&1 Drillisch AG
- Abalando GmbH: Conducting various injunction proceedings because of various alleged competition violations.
- Estée Lauder Companies GmbH (Germany); Estée Lauder Companies Europe (Paris, France); Estée Lauder Companies Inc. (New York, USA): Ongoing advice on advertising and labeling issues for cosmetic products, including related complaints; Advice on, among other things, special promotions, competitions, customer loyalty programs, advertising campaigns; Defense against and enforcement of own claims based on UWG, LFGB and EU Cosmetics Ordinance; contractual and forensic support in selective sales online and offline; Combating gray market activity and distribution by unauthorized traders, including internet platforms; Advice on the admissibility of social media, influencer advertising and other online campaigns under competition and data protection law.
- BB RADIO country wave Berlin / Brandenburg GmbH & Co. KG: Long-term advice on media law, competition law, hearing procedures according to RStV, in particular editorial competitions, advice and support in contract negotiations in connection with the change of broadcasting network operator.
BMH Bräutigam & Partner continued to expand its competition practice in 2019/20 with new mandates. The practice's central pillars remain its advice to Deutsche Bahn in numerous matters, including those related to actions for an injunction, and the assistance to large energy suppliers with contentious matters, including numerous summary proceedings, and particularly on the active side. Contentious matters are predominantly handled in Berlin and Hamburg. The group also saw an increase in competition law instructions from venture capital companies which is not least due to its cooperation with the firm's venture capital practice. Johannes Wolf, who has deep forensic experience, heads the team.
' Very uniform team. Good mix of different types of lawyer and seniority. Working with everyone is very pleasant. '
' Benedikt Bridegroom: Experienced with an eye for the essentials.'
'Johannes Wolf: Attentive and careful, also thinks around the corner.'
' Always available, very competent, all options are disclosed and evaluated or compared with advantages and disadvantages. You always have a well-founded basis for decision-making and communication is clear and precise. '
code & co.
E WIE EINFACH
- E.ON: Advice and representation in competition law disputes.
- waterfall: Advice and representation in competition law disputes, with a focus on Berlin and Hamburg.
- Avacon Connect: Advice on the design of an advertising campaign for the introduction of a fiber optic network.
With regards to competition law, CBH Rechtsanwälte predominantly acts in contentious matters, but also regularly supports clients in advisory capacity, for instance in relation to advertisement campaign and material reviews. With its e-commerce expertise, the team is particularly well equipped for competition issues related to distance selling law, even though the case load generally mirrors a broad advice spectrum. Thus, the group also advises at the interface to cosmetics law, comprehensively assists clients with IP matters as well as with related competition issues, and advises on product safety issues in relation to the German Fair Trade Practices Act. The three IP lawyers Ingo Jung, Nadja Siebertz and Markus Ruttig are the key contacts in Cologne alongside IT expert Sascha Vander.
' Just a good job! Fast, competent and successful! '
Continentale Krankenversicherung aG
DLTB (Deutscher Lotto- und Totoblock)
Donaldson Filtration Deutschland GmbH
EagleBurgmann Germany GmbH & Co.
Metten Stein+Design GmbH & Co. KG
OBI Deutschland GmbH & Co KG
PKV Verband der Privaten Krankenversicherungen e.V.
Robert Herder GmbH & Co. KG
Saint-Gobain Glass Deutschland GmbH
Sonae Sierra Deutschland GmbH
Superior Industries Europe AG
Westdeutsche Lotterie GmbH & Co. oHG
WM Beautysystems AG
- Lenze SE: Assumption of competition law advice in the field of innovative drive and automation technologies, including representation in a dispute with a well-known competitor.
- OBI Germany GmbH & Co KG: Ongoing advice on competition law in various out-of-court and judicial proceedings; Support also at the interface to the area of e-commerce and all related competition law and distance selling law issues.
- PKV Association of Private Health Insurance eV: Comprehensive advice and representation on competition law, including successful representation in fundamental proceedings before the Federal Social Court on the admissibility of optional tariffs in the GKV against the AOK.
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner impresses with cross-office expertise which is predominantly sought after by pharmaceutical companies, medical and apothecary sector players and large brand manufacturers in the Freiburg office. In Cologne, the group focuses on product launches, advertising measures and product trade mark law for clients from the toys, textile, cosmetics and food sectors, while the Frankfurt team complements the advice spectrum with copyright and media law expertise. The Freiburg office further covers the interface to data protection. The practice is equally well versed in contentious matters, including landmark proceedings, as well as in non-contentious issues. David Kipping in Cologne, Morton Douglas and Norbert Hebeis in Freiburg and Stephan Dittl in Frankfurt head the offices respectively.
Other key lawyers:
AHP Merkle GmbH
Alexander Bürkle GmbH & Co. KG
Alnatura Produktions- und Handels GmbH und sämtliche Konzernunternehmen (Alnavit, Bonano, People Wear Organic GmbH)
BBraun Melsungen AG/Aesculap AG
Bund für Umwelt und Naturschutz Deutschland e. V. (BUND)
Deutscher Caritas Verband e. V.
Dr. Martens / Airwair Ltd.
Dt. Versandapotheke Fliegende Pillen
EAM GmbH & Co. KG
General Re Corp.
Gloster Furniture Ltd. und Dedon GmbH
HME Copper Germany GmbH
Holle baby food GmbH
IAMS Europe B.V.
KME Germany GmbH & Co. KG
Löwen Frankfurt Eishockey-Betriebs GmbH
Minderleinsmühle GmbH & Co. KG
Securetec Detektions-Systeme AG
Spectrum Brands Inc.
Triaz Group GmbH
Wilkinson Sword GmbH
Zentralverband Deutsches Kraftfahrzeuggewerbe e. V.
- North Rhine Chamber of Pharmacists: Ongoing representation under competition law, numerous principle proceedings; including the fundamental procedure on the question of whether the ECJ correctly applied European law in its decision on the German Parkinson's Association.
- German Mail Order Pharmacy Flying Pills: Representation in fundamental proceedings against a Dutch mail-order pharmacy against the operation of a collection terminal for the drug model Hüffenhardt; Proceedings pending before the BGH.
- erima GmbH: Competitive performance protection and position mark in the field of sportswear for possible violation of the client's 5 cube design by a competitor.
Grünecker fields a solid competition law practice that is particularly visible in contentious matters. The group advises both on pure competition law matters as well as on issues touching on trade mark, design and copyright law on national and international level. The firm's patent lawyers can also be consulted if matters require their input. The practice is jointly headed by Anja Franke, Holger Gauss, Maximilian Kinkeldey and Nicolás Schmitz who all advise at several interfaces between trade mark and competition law.
In the competition law space, Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek demonstrates forensic expertise and longstanding experience in IP matters, including advertisement materials, competitions, terms and conditions and e-commerce issues among others. The group has further strengths in trade secret protection and at the interface to data protection. Michael Schmittmann in Düsseldorf and Dominik Eickemeier in Cologne head the IP, media and technology practice.
‘ Lawyers always available – very professional handling – so far successful in all disputes. ‘
JONAS Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Based on a partner-centric approach, JONAS Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH advises on the development of product names and designs, legal matters in relation to advertisement measures and protection right defence proceedings, with a focus on sports, food, cosmetics and pharmaceutical law among others. The firm also has longstanding experience in press, media and copyright law. The team's leadership quartet is composed of IP specialists Karl Hamacher, Martin Viefhues, Nils Weber and Markus Robak. In April, Linda Thiel joined from Kleiner Rechtsanwälte and particularly strengthened the firm's litigious capacity.
Other key lawyers:
Loschelder's advice spectrum encompasses complex contentious matters, including proceedings to fight product counterfeiting, as well as ongoing advice on competition-related matter constellations, for instance in relation to food and cosmetics law. IP specialists Patrick Pommerening, Thomas Schulte-Beckhausen, Volker Schoene and Stefan Maaßen are key contacts.
BIEK (Bundesverband Paket- und Expresslogistik)
Henkel AG & Co KGaA
Krüger GmbH & Co KG
- BIEK (Federal Association of Parcel and Express Logistics): Basic procedure for compliance with the requirements of the Fahrpersonalverordnung against the market leader; 2019 ECJ decision in favor of the client.
- Henkel AG & Co KGaA: Ongoing and comprehensive representation in disputed UWG and trademark matters in the area of detergents and cleaning agents; increased action against product imitations; Environmental promotion / recycling procedure.
- Armacell GmbH: Action against insulation boards with incorrect fire classification.
In 2019/20, Noerr managed yet again to expand its activity in unfair competition law by new instructions. Hereby, the representation in contentious matters takes centre stage, including numerous matters in relation to trade mark and design law, while the team under the leadership of Tobias Dolde, who divides his time between the Alicante and Munich offices and also has longstanding experience in proceedings before EU courts in Luxembourg and the EUIPO in Alicante, increasingly acts in cross-border matters and across its offices. The group advises on product features, advertising law issues and trade secrets protection among other matters. Thomas Gniadek joined Simmons & Simmons in July 2020.
Osborne Clarke stands out for its tangibly future-oriented set-up. Exemplary for its positioning along the respectively most current legal issues is its advice on various matters related to data usage of connected cars. The team around practice head and IP specialist Marcus Sacré in Cologne is highly active in judicial proceedings, while instructions include competition-related disputes as well as matters at the interface to know-how protection, influencer marketing, fashion and media law as well as copyright. Another focus lays on life sciences.
' The firm has very good knowledge and insights into the automotive sector, especially in the automotive aftermarket. Very good networking with the relevant national and European associations. Many years of litigation experience in this area. '
Geberit Vertriebs GmbH
Gesamtverband Autoteile-Handel e.V. (GVA)
Grifols Deutschland GmbH
Harley-Davidson LLC (USA)
Management GmbH (Teil von Serum Institute of India)
- Bolt Mobility: Representation in a global IP dispute, including the assertion of additional claims under competition law due to unfair disability competition in Germany, France, UK and at the EUIPO.
- Fitness First Germany GmbH und Fitness First Ltd. (UK): Advice and representation in various trademark and competition law matters.
- infas Institute for Applied Social Science GmbH: Comprehensive advice on trademark, competition and copyright law, especially on the defense and enforcement of the INFAS core brand.
Preu Bohlig & Partner
Preu Bohlig & Partner focuses on the fight against product counterfeiting, on matters at the interface between competition law and data protection, advertising materials reviews and product releases issues as well as on business and trade secret protection. The group is also adept in the medical products sector and at the interface to design law. Hereby, the group both acts in proceedings, frequently including summary proceedings, as well as in advisory capacity. Practice heads Astrid Gérard, Andreas Haberl, Jürgen Schneider and Ludwig von Zumbusch in Munich, Christian Donle in Berlin and Düsseldorf-based duo Torben Düsing and Matthias Hülsewig all dedicate their activity to this combined advisory and forensic approach.
Other key lawyers:
Candice Cooper AG
Christo Mare Yachting Sp.zo.o.
Ducati Motor Holding S.p.A.
Erich Adam Warenhandelsgesellschaft mbH
Frey + Lau GmbH
Global Distribution GmbH
Golf Brothers GmbH
Golf Versand Hannover GmbH
Gustav Magenwirth GmbH & Co. KG
Hans-H. Hasbargen GmbH & Co. KG
Insider Yacht Manufaktur GmbH
Koenig & Bauer AG
Koenig & Bauer MetalPrint GmbH
Monz Handelsgesellschaft International mbH & Co. KG
Möve Bikes GmbH
Newbox Medical GmbH
Össur HF Island und Össur Deutschland GmbH
Sunchairs GmbH & Co. KG
T’nB SA France
Training Base Weeze GmbH
Ventec Central Europe GmbH
Vitra International AG
- Christo Mare Yachting Sp.zo.o.: Advice on competition law.
- Erich Adam Warenhandelsgesellschaft mbH: Long-term advice on competition and data protection law.
- Facebook / Oculus: Ongoing review of advertising under competition law (especially advertising law) aspects, testing and confirmations for product release in Germany.
White & Case LLP predominantly advises international technology corporations as well as large German companies of whom several stem from the automotive industry. The practice is tailored for cross-border matters and also offers support through an international legal tech and innovation strategy that is led by four partners in Frankfurt, New York, Paris and London. Practice head Markus Mette, who is well versed in IP and IT, and his team are particularly active in court representations, but also have experience in transactions, advertising law and trade secret protection. IP and IT lawyer Stefan Haiplik made local partner in January 2020.
' The team of Mr. Mette and Mr. Munz is always available and is on hand with help and advice. Both can always come up with practical, meaningful advice. The legal expertise and attention to detail is excellent. '
- Facebook: Advice on trademark and competition law, including at the interface with regulatory issues, for example in data protection law.
- Polish Aviation Group (PGL), owner of LOT Polish Airlines SA (LOT): Advice on IP issues that arose during the (temporary) takeover of the German Condor Flugdienst GmbH (Condor).
WilmerHale specialises in complex litigation. Practice head Vanessa Wettner assists particularly many clients from the e-commerce sector, as well as increasingly consumer goods, fashion and pharmaceutical companies that benefit from her expertise at the interface between competition, data protection and consumer protection law. Thanks to its experience in European Court of Justice proceedings, the practice also has a European touch and is particularly well equipped for pattern determination processes, since its advice on mass proceedings is one of the team's core competencies. Licence agreement issues and advice on competition aspects of advertising campaigns also form part of the group's advice spectrum.
' Very collegial, flat hierarchy! '
Becton Dickinson B.V.
Bird Rides Europe B.V.
Bundesrepublik Deutschland – Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie
Facebook Ireland Ltd.
IDEXX Europe BV
Hugo Boss AG
- Facebook: Representation in numerous proceedings, in particular on the GDPR and the NetzDG, often of particular strategic importance.
- BRD / Germany: Defense against an application for an injunction under the UWG by the airline Germania mbH for allegedly imminent aid violation in connection with a loan of € 150 million to the insolvent airline Air Berlin.
- Becton Dickinson: Advice in matters of competition, product liability and distribution law, in particular representation against the lawsuit of a former distribution partner for compensation and damages. The proceedings are now pending before the Karlsruhe Higher Regional Court.
Arnecke Sibeth Dabelstein impresses with highly specialised experts in the food, chemical, cosmetics and pharmaceutical sectors who act both in forensic as well as comprehensive advisory capacity. Alongside its competition expertise, clients can also rely on the team in trade mark, copyright and patent law issues. The group's other sector focuses include the sports, media and entertainment industries. Thomas Körber in Frankfurt, who handles defence and marketing of rights in the sports sector among other matters, and the Munich-based Anton Maria Ostler, who is also experienced in alternative dispute resolution, jointly head the team.
Other key lawyers:
DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH, DFL e.V., Bundesliga International GmbH und Sportcast GmbH
Twentieth Century Fox of Germany GmbH /Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment Germany GmbH
Asklepios Klinik Gruppe
Siteco GmbH (und alle angeschlossenen 15 Unternehmen)
Stada Arzneimittel AG
Telio Management GmbH
VWR International GmbH
Weiss Umwelttechnik GmbH
Werner & Mertz GmbH/tana-Chemie GmbH/Erdal-Rex GmbH
Pharmaserv GmbH/Infrareal GmbH/ Pharmapark Jena GmbH
Dr. Theiss Naturwaren GmbH/Allgäuer Latschenkiefer GmbH
Colliers International Deutschland GmbH
Hans Koeberle, Weissachmühle e.K./Marstall GmbH
Media Broadcast GmbH
Aurelis Real Estate GmbH & Co. KG
Thaler Sports GmbH & Co. KG /CG Verwaltungs mbH
Vitamin Well AB/ NOCCO No Carbs Company AB
Pioneer Solutions LLC
E.L.V.I.S. Europäischer Ladungs-Verbund Internationaler Spediteure Aktiengesellschaft
GILDEMEISTER energy solutions GmbH
Arbeitsgemeinschaft für wirtschaftliche Verwaltung e.V.
Renusol Europe GmbH
Alfons Köster & Co. GmbH
Badgequo Deutschland GmbH und UK Ltd.
Corpus Sireo Real Estate GmbH
Theo Sasse e.K./Lagerkorn GmbH
BNS Bergal, Nico & Solitaire Vertriebs GmbH
Chesterton International GmbH Deutschland
Acer Europe SA
Bogenhausener Tor Immobilien GmbH
Axel Toupane und Athlete Management Group
Bavaria Weeds GmbH
Brush Technology Ltd.
Renusol Europe GmbH und RBI Solar, Inc.
Sharkoon Technology GmbH
LEONINE Distribution GmbH
- Werner & Mertz GmbH and Erdal-Rex GmbH: Comprehensive advice, including representation in several proceedings against Procter & Gamble regarding environmental advertising.
- tana-Chemie GmbH: Representation in proceedings against various suppliers of alleged biotechnology-free products; Management of a large number of processes in the area of UWG.
- Asklepios Clinic Group: Advice on various questions of intellectual property, trademark and employee invention law, unfair competition and the submission of cease and desist letters and draft contracts and negotiations. Advice on violation of the law on the protection of trade secrets.
Baker McKenzie combines experience in complex litigation, also in the area of trade secret protection, with transactional advice which also regularly relies on the team's trade mark expertise. The advice spectrum further includes copyright issues, advertising law-related constellations and product trade mark matters. The practice is jointly headed by trade mark specialists Rembert Niebel and Michael Fammler in Frankfurt.
- Northern European food company: Advice on the design of an attacked packaging that was the subject of a court decision.
- Global technology company based in the UK: Advice and representation for the enforcement of unfair competition claims against a competitor regarding various advertising activities of the competitor.
- The world's leading manufacturer of cell phones and computers: Advice and representation in relation to a book author and a publisher who wanted to publish confidential company information.
Under the leadership of Geert Johann Seelig in Hamburg and Detlef Mäder in Cologne, Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH assists a loyal client base composed of German medium-sized companies and several international corporations. The group is particularly active in litigious matters, but also advises on out-of-court matters, including the development of right protection strategies. Advertising, distribution and data protection issues occupy a particularly important role within its case load.
Imperial Tobacco Ltd./Reemtsma Cigarettenfabriken GmbH
Warsteiner Brauerei Haus Kramer KG/Warsteiner International KG
Daniel Wellington AB
The Nomad Company B.V.
Same Deutz-Fahr Deutschland GmbH
KIA MOTORS Corp.
Molkerei Ammerland eG
VAG GmbH / CENTA/ Rexnord
EDCO Eindhoven B.V.
Verband der PSD Banken
Saint Gobain Glass
VDL Groep N.V.
- VDL Groep NV: Advice on alleged competition violations by the client and representation in various legal disputes.
- Reemtsma Cigarettenfabriken GmbH: Advice on competition law and representation in various proceedings and campaigns to support the e-cigarette blu and various cigarette brands such as West, Gauloises and Davidoff.
- Kamps GmbH: Advice on all trademark and competition law matters.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons focuses on clients in the life sciences and TMT sectors. In cross-border matters, the team is predominantly active on European level, but also advises on cross-border disputes beyond European borders. For this, the firm's international offices offer a good infrastructure. The practice is jointly headed by Michael Knospe (IP disputes) and Daniel Kendziur (comprehensive advice on IP) in Munich as well as Peter Meyer (contentious and non-contentious IP issues) in Düsseldorf. In Munich, Thomas Gniadek joined from Noerr in July 2020; his specialist areas of expertise include patent law as well as trade secrets.
Other key lawyers:
' A very well prepared team that always strives to find the best solution for the company's interests and budget .'
Admiral Sportwetten GmbH
Alibaba Group Holding Ltd.
Apple & Pear Australie Ltd.
ATLAS Technology B.V./ Lightyear
Audi Business Innovation GmbH
Didi Mobility Ltd.
Domaine de la Romanée-Conti
Frostkrone Tiefkühlkost GmbH
Löwen Entertainment GmbH
Müller Milch Group
Revox Deutschland GmbH
Samsung Electronics GmbH
Shenzhen HeyTap Technology Co., Ltd. (OPPO)
The Polo/Lauren Company L.P. (Plo Ralph Lauren)
- WetterOnline: Successful conclusion of an anti-competitive dispute against the Federal Republic of Germany regarding the inadmissibility of the free distribution of the WarnWetter app of the German Weather Service (DWD).
- Domaine de la Romanée-Conti: Several proceedings against providers who sell products / counterfeits under the client's name.
- The Polo/Lauren Company L.P. (Polo Ralph Lauren): Another injunction against Sarnacchiaro GmbH, which the client successfully took action against several years ago for the sale of textiles with polo player logos.