Unfair competition in Germany
Bird & Bird's clients are typically drawn from the technology, media and telecommunications, automotive, life sciences alongside retail and consumer goods sectors. Its work frequently includes advertising law-related mandates, often with international elements, for which the practice is particularly well suited due to the firm's international presence. It handles advisory work, while clients also benefit from the team's extensive litigation experience. Due to its size, the practice is also able to provide one-stop soft IP assistance. Christian Harmsen heads the team.
Other key lawyers:
Richard Dissmann; Joseph Fesenmair; Markus Körner; Niels Lutzhöft
‘The competition law team offers a comprehensive and practice-oriented advice and enforcement strategy. Trade fair-assignments, written warnings as well as in- and out-of-court enforcements of competition law claims surely are their area of expertise.’
‘Creative legal advice with regards to the jurisdiction in neighbouring areas of law and also taking into consideration constitutional law.’
‘Richard Dissmann: Advice with foresight, passionate commitment in court, enforcement of the client’s interests.’
Deutscher Sparkassen- und Giroverband e. V.
Philip Morris GmbH
- Legal representation of Amway in matters of competition and trademark law, in particular concerning the release of advertising material as well as clearing of copyrights.
- Advice to Columbia Sportswear on integrity rights. Advice on the release of advertisement in Europe.
- Ongoing advice on competition law to the Deutsche Tele Medien GmbH, among other things on infringement procedures concerning invoice-like transmissions.
CMS is noted for its strong life sciences sector competition law practice, while also handling consumer goods sector work. The team puts significant emphasis on forensic matters but is equally well versed in advising on competition law issues in product development and marketing. Online marketing and internet trade also play an increasingly important role in the team's workload. Thomas Manderla in Düsseldorf and Jörn Witt in Hamburg head the practice, which is one of the largest in the German market.
Thomas Manderla; Jörn Witt
Other key lawyers:
Heike Blank; Nikolas Gregor; Gordian Hasselblatt; Gerd Schoenen; Torsten Sill; Jens Wagner; Roland Wiring
‘Excellent service, competent, always on time, friendly and for a reasonable compensation.’
‘The team is always a reliable point of contact and their strength is, despite the excellent technical knowledge, that the lawyers act and think as an extended version of the legal department.’
‘Heike Blank is an outstanding litigator and knows how to negotiate the case convincingly and objectively.’
‘Gerd Schoenen: Outstanding technical knowledge, very good understanding of the competitive surroundings and business-interests of the client, excellent communication and recommendations for action.’
Johnson & Johnson
- Legal representation of the Bayer Vital GmbH in several disputes regarding competition and pharmaceutical advertising law, among other things in a dispute with Novartis concerning the blockbuster medication Eylea.
- Advice on antitrust, integrity and distribution rights to the Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG.
- Ongoing advice to the Johnson & Johnson GmbH on matters of competition, advertising and trademark law regarding consumer goods, cosmetics and medical products.
Danckelmann & Kerst
Danckelmann & Kerst is particularly known for its extensive litigation activities, which often include the representation of clients in landmark proceedings. Based in Frankfurt, the boutique is a well established player in the market and acts for both large and medium-sized companies with several clients stemming from the energy, telecommunications and life sciences sectors. Key contacts Jan-Felix Isele, Nikolaus Konstantin Rehart and Hans-Jürgen Ruhl have been working together for approximately 20 years and are therefore rated as an exceptionally well coordinated team, providing wide-ranging advice.
Emma Matratzen GmbH
Energieversorgung Offenbach AG
MVV Energie AG
N&L Elektrotechnik GmbH
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
Telekom Deutschland GmbH/Deutsche Telekom AG
Thermo Fisher Konzern
Wiener Feinbäckerei Heberer GmbH
- Comprehensive advice to the Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KG aA on competition law, in particular on pharmaceutical-advertising law and for marketing measures for EMEA.
- Legal representation and advice on competition law to the Stadtwerke Kiel (public utility company).
- Legal representation of the Telekom Deutschland GmbH in landmark proceedings at the LG Düsseldorf (Regional Court) concerning the liability of comparison websites for advertising false prices.
Alongside its strong trade mark practice, DLA Piper has in-depth expertise in competition and advertising law. The team led by Stefan Engels advises on matters pertaining to pharmaceutical, tobacco, gambling and food law but also receives regular digitalisation-related instructions. This includes, among other issues, influencer marketing, native advertising and SEO marketing. The team provides full assistance with marketing campaigns, including discounts, combined offers and prize competitions, but also advises on matters at earlier product stages such as the development of new products, packing and labelling.
Other key lawyers:
Burkhard Führmeyer; Kai Tumbrägel
‘Excellent team, always available, which covers the whole range in the IP and media sectors, nationally as well as internationally.’
‘Kai Tumbrägel: Excellent solicitor and a very good strategist.’
About You GmbH
Lufthansa Technik AG
Organisation Werbetreibende im Markenverband (OWM)
- Advice to the About You GmbH on the launch of the advertising and marketing concept in different European countries.
- Ongoing advice to Bacardi on competition law, among other things on parallel imports, advertising campaigns and matters of product labelling.
- Ongoing advice to Bauer Media in several disputes concerning competition law.
Hamburg boutique Harte-Bavendamm Rechtsanwälte succeeded in further expanding its competition law practice, which, in addition to its litigation activities, also handles non-contentious matters. Key contacts include Michael Goldmann, who is frequently involved in contentious proceedings, as well as Henning Harte-Bavendamm, Andrea Jaeger-Lenz and Arne Lambrecht, who handle a wide range of competition law work and other related issues.
‘Highly personal attachment to the client, excellent knowledge of the surrounding market and competition, extraordinary competence and excellent level of service.’
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz
Ellegaard Minipigs A/S
Gruner + Jahr GmbH
Levi Strauss & Co.
Procter & Gamble
Scandlines Deutschland GmbH
- Comprehensive advice and representation in disputes for the Nestlé-Unternehmensgruppe on competition law as well as representation in anti-counterfeiting procedures at customs offices.
- Comprehensive advice and legal representation of Olaplex on combating product piracy.
As part of the firm's IPMT group jointly led by Burkhart Goebel, Andreas Bothe and Morten Petersenn, Hogan Lovells International LLP's competition law practice has a strong profile for mandates that require not only expertise in unfair competition law but also in trade mark and design law. Much of its work includes cross-border elements, where the team is able to call on colleagues from offices across the firm's international network. The already sizeable practice received a further boost with the counsel appointments of Anna-Katharina Friese, who specialises in business and trade secrets law, alongside know-how protection, and competition, trade mark and design law expert Marlen Annika Mittelstein in January 2019. In the same month, Nils Rauer moved to Pinsent Masons Germany LLP.
Andreas Bothe; Burkhart Goebel; Morten Petersenn
- Legal representation of the Emporis GmbH in a comprehensive court case with regards to copyright and competition law against a competitor, which concerns the potentially unlawful creation of a copy of the world’s largest building data base.
- Legal representation of the defendant system7 against a lawsuit initiated by Plasser & Theurer concerning the alleged dishonest imitation of tamping units used in railway construction.
- Legal representation of Vinted (trademark Kleiderkreisel) in several unfair competition proceedings against consumer protection organisations concerning a business and pricing scheme of a platform for second hand clothing.
BEITEN BURKHARDT provides assistance with both contentious and non-contentious matters and puts significant emphasis on the firm's core sectors automotive, sports, media, luxury goods, gaming and cosmetics. The team frequently advises on combating grey imports and the legal requirements for advertising campaigns, including online marketing, while handling distribution law issues are also part of its offering. Matthias Stecher heads the team from Munich. Joachim Wessel retired in December 2018. Uta Norstedt, who predominantly handles contentious work, made salary partner in January 2019, and Laureen Lee, who has a focus on IT, joined the firm as salary partner from Baker McKenzie in September 2018.
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly competent team, quick, proactive, always with an interest-optimised solution.’
‘The collaboration with Beiten Burkhardt is outstanding and characterised by very good customer service. A very friendly, cooperative working, fast responsiveness, even past regular opening hours. One always has the same contacts in case of emergency, who know the topics of our company very well and respond fast.’
‘Axel von Walter: Strong on counselling, fast, solution-oriented, outstanding lawyer of competition law.’
‘Uwe Wellman is very competent, a highly regarded lawyer.’
Deutscher Fußball-Bund e. V.
Deutscher Golfverband e. V.
Epic Games, Inc. / Epic Games Germany GmbH
Estée Lauder Companies GmbH
König Ludwig International
SCHUFA Holding AG
- Advice to the Wienerberger AG on several matters of competition law in the course of the distribution of building materials and the advertising campaigns used for the distribution.
- Ongoing advice to the SCHUFA Holding AG on media, integrity and trademark law, among other things on new concepts for products. Several court proceedings concerning the yet unsettled question regarding the interaction of integrity rights and GDPR.
- Successful representation of the DFB GmbH in court proceedings at the BGH (Federal Court) against the distribution chain real concerning the protection of the 1954 retro-football jersey in accordance with competition law.
Predominantly acting for telecommunications companies, bock legal Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten represents its clients in contentious proceedings against competitors as well as against consumer protection and competition associations. The team led by name partner Andreas Bock provides assistance with a wide range of IP matters with particular strengths in trade mark and design law but also patent law.
Other key lawyers:
‘The interfaces amongst the team-members are well balanced. The tasks are clearly communicated and are very transparent for us as clients. The administration does a good job and is very service-oriented.’
‘Extremely high technical competence and reliability.’
‘Reinhard Döring possesses a great professional competence and a razor-sharp mind. Furthermore he is very likeable on a personal level and even outside the legal work environment, I would go drink a beer with him at any time. I wouldn’t say this about any lawyer.’
CEBI Italy S.p.A.
COMPO GmbH & Co. KG
Ferrari S. p .A.
Schwinn Beschläge GmbH
The Swatch Group AG
Verband der Schweizerischen Uhrenindustrie FHS
- Legal representation of the Vodafone GmbH in several proceedings against large telecommunication providers concerning competition law at different Regional and Higher Regional Courts. Representation also in many disputes, often preliminary injunctions, against consumer rights associations. Regular advice on advertising campaigns.
- Comprehensive advice to The Swatch Group AG on IP rights, including comprehensive advice on competition law. Advice also on design and trademark law as well as on copyright law, online distribution law and on border seizure proceedings.
KLAKA Rechtsanwälte focuses on physician, pharmacy and pharmaceutical sector work but the team also advises clients, that previously received assistance with trade mark and design law matters, on competition law issues. This includes banking and insurance sector players alongside automotive, sports, fashion and energy companies. Luxury goods manufacturers also benefit from the integrated soft IP practice's competence in this intersection. Ralf Hackbarth and Wolfgang Straub jointly head the team.
Ralf Hackbarth; Wolfgang Straub
Other key lawyers:
Stefan Abel; Ralf-Michael Burkhardt; Stefan Eck; Constantin Kurtz; Oliver Rauscher; Andreas Schulz; Wolfgang Straub
‘It is always astonishing to see, that even in cases of an advisor-change or young lawyer, the standards are maintained consistently high.’
‘Always good and fast advice. Successful results in hearings and proceedings.’
‘Stefan Eck: Competent, procedural documents prepared with great care, arguments kept to the point. Works very ambitiously also on new or complex topics, procedural documents are therefore at a very high standard; high motivation. The personal interaction is very pleasant. He is good at explaining arising questions to clients, always has an open ear, customer-facing, never looking down on someone.’
‘Ralf-Michael Burkhardt and Andreas Schulz are delivering excellent work, which makes them also stand out amongst the competition.’
Adelholzener Alpenquellen GmbH
Börlind Gesellschaft für kosmetische Erzeugnisse mbH
Infineon Technologies AG
Lackmann Fleisch- und Feinkostfabrik GmbH
Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics, Genf
Villeroy & Boch AG
- Comprehensive advice to the Zentrale zur Bekämpfung unlauteren Wettbewerbs Frankfurt am Main e. V., including representation in a model procedure on the issue of labelling print media with consumer information, representation in a model procedure concerning remote treatments and representation in a model procedure against two baked goods manufacturers regarding the sale of bread and bread rolls in bakery-cafes on sundays.
- Ongoing advice and legal representation of Longchamp SAS concerning protection from imitation in accordance with competition and registered design rights. Representation in several infringement procedures, including one procedure concerning the handbag Le Pliage, in which for the first time, an imitation protection under competition law was granted for a Le Pliage-cosmetic bag.
Lubberger Lehment is one of the most prominent competition law practices in the market, having gained particular recognition acting for large luxury cosmetics manufactures. The team now acts for a variety of sectors and handles not only competition law matters but also trade mark law issues. Key members of the team include Andreas Lubberger (focus on the luxury goods sector and distribution law issues in particular), Martin Fiebig (product piracy and border seizure proceedings), Benjamin Koch (product piracy), Cornelis Lehment (focus on the luxury cosmetics industry, distribution law and parallel imports), Kai Schmidt-Hern (focus on the luxury goods and media sectors as well as start-ups) and Bernd Weichhaus (direct sales and misleading advertising) as well as Rani Mallick (counterfeiting, imitations and parallel imports), who made partner in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
- Advice and legal representation of Apple on fair competition and trademark law.
- Legal representation of an internationally large company in several proceedings against a competitor concerning advertising which violated the UWG (unfair competition law). Representation in proceedings against a consumer association concerning the alleged violation of the UWG act.
SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte has a focus on technology, media and IT sector work and provides highly specialised advice on branded content, advertising and influencer marketing. Margret Knitter, who made equity partner in January 2019, heads the practice from Munich, while the Frankfurt and Berlin offices also provide unfair competition law expertise, which frequently comes into play in a contentious setting but also in non-contentious matters such as product launches and marketing campaigns.
Other key lawyers:
Markus Brock; Johann Heyde; Magnus Hirsch; Sascha Pres
‘The SKW-team always did an excellent job and is always available. I am impressed, how detail-oriented and competent the lawyers are.’
‘Unlike other law firms, economically sensible solutions are found and reasonable alternative solutions are pointed out.’
‘Johann Heyde immediately responds to requests. He is an excellent solicitor and has a thorough interest in the day-to-day business.’
Arnold & Richter Cine Technik GmbH & Co. Betriebs KG
basic AG Lebensmittelhandel
BVB Merchandising GmbH
ECOVER Deutschland GmbH
Margarete Steiff GmbH
- Legal representation of Ecover Deutschland GmbH in cross-border proceedings against Werner & Merz concerning the sale of the washing-up liquid Ocean Bottle in Germany, Austria and Belgium. In addition support on the Europe-wide launch of the new website, claim assessments and assessments of product launches in accordance with IP law.
- Successful representation of LoveScout24/FriendScout24 in large-volume appeal proceedings against competitor Parship concerning a dispute under UWG (unfair competition law) with regards to claims made in advertising campaigns.
- Legal representation of a retail business in an injunctive process concerning claims in accordance with contract law and competition law, in particular in the area of know-how protection.
Taylor Wessing focuses on advertising-related competition law matters but also handles other issues, both in a contentious and non-contentious setting. Thanks to the firm's international network, the team demonstrates particular strength in mandates with cross-border elements. Olaf Gillert heads the practice from Düsseldorf.
Other key lawyers:
Wiebke Baars; Andreas Bauer; Thorsten Troge
‘Taylor Wessing is an extremely competent consultant in all areas of law.’
‘Dirk Wieddekind’s work is very proactive and goal-oriented. Quick and competent advice.’
ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd.
Alois Dallmayr Kaffee
FC Bayern München
Scotch Whisky Association
Villeroy & Boch
- Ongoing advice to BSH on competition law, including the representation in court proceedings and strategic advice in the course of two court proceedings at the European Court of Justice.
- Comprehensive advice to DS Produkte GmbH on design, utility model and integrity rights following the TV show Höhle der Löwen. Support also on matters regarding patent and trademark law as well as matters of reputational damage.
- Comprehensive advice to Tedi on trademark and competition law, including the legal representation in court proceedings, e.g. in a court case against Birkenstock concerning positional mark.
WilmerHale stands out for its clear focus on large litigation mandates, which are mostly handled for e-commerce sector clients but the team also acts for fashion, consumer goods and pharmaceutical sector clients. Handling matters at the intersection between competition and data protection law is an area of particular strength and frequently includes international elements. In the non-contentious space, the team also regularly monitors advertising campaigns and assists with licensing agreements alongside trade mark and copyright law issues. Vanessa Wettner heads the practice from Frankfurt.
‘Motivated, well interconnected and experienced team.’
‘Vanessa Wettner is particularly outstanding. Excellent fighter, but at the same time keeps an eye on the general overview.’
Becton Dickinson B. V.
Bundesrepublik Deutschland – Bundesministerium für Wirtschaft und Energie
Facebook Ireland Ltd.
Hugo Boss AG
IDEXX Europe BV
- Advice to Becton Dickinson B. V. on competition, product liability and distribution law, among other things on disputes concerning advertising of medical products.
- Advice to a provider of e-scooters on the market entry in Germany.
- Defence of a client against claims concerning competition law for alleged violation of terms and conditions and data protection law, also with regards to the GDPR.
Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB
Düsseldorf IP boutique Arnold Ruess Rechtsanwälte PartmbB handles advisory matters, such as the design of products and advertising campaigns, but is also experienced in representing the interests of its clients in court. The practice led by Peter Ruess is also frequently called upon to assist with trade mark law issues.
‘A small, very efficiently working and highly motivated team. Particularly responsive and focused. The partners themselves also deal with client matters with great care and speed.’
‘Peter Reuss: Very efficient, focused, a lot of business-experience, which contributes towards working on the mandates. Clear and quick communication, technically superb with a strong instinct for feasible solutions.’
Guhl Ikebana GmbH (KAO Gruppe)
PASCOE pharmazeutische Präparate
Seats and Sofas GmbH
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Ltd.
SUBARU Deutschland GmbH
- Advice to the Edgewell-Gruppe on product launches, integrity and trademark law.
- Ongoing advice to the Nordsee GmbH on UWG (unfair competition law) as well as on trademark law.
- Ongoing advice to the PASCOE pharmazeutische Präparate GmbH on UWG (unfair competition law) and HWG (pharmaceutical advertising law) as well as representation in court proceedings.
BMH Bräutigam & Partner
BMH Bräutigam & Partner stands out for its active litigation practice with a clear focus on energy sector mandates. The team led by Johannes Wolf succeeded not only in expanding its existing mandates but also its start-up sector work. Bastian Reinschmidt made salary partner in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Benedikt Bräutigam; Bastian Reinschmidt
‘Well integrated team of lawyers on different levels of seniority, which also allows for the associates to be visible.’
‘Benedikt Bräutigam: Very experienced and pragmatic.’
‘Johannes Wolf: Very cautious and thorough.’
‘Annette Schwab: Very hands-on and attentive.’
E.ON Energie Deutschland GmbH
E WIE EINFACH GmbH
nora systems GmbH
Vattenfall Europe Sales GmbH
- Exclusive legal representation of E.ON Energie Deutschland GmbH in disputes concerning competition law.
- Advice to E WIE EINFACH GmbH both in and out of court on disputes concerning competition law.
- Ongoing advice and legal representation of nora systems GmbH on disputes concerning competition law.
CBH Rechtsanwälte Cornelius, Bartenbach, Haesemann & Partner has carved out a strong practice handling advertising-relating mandates, such as comparative advertising and misleading claims. But the team also provides advice on the competition law protection for products, often as part of mandates that require the team's trade mark and design law expertise. Handling contentious work is also part of its offering as is ongoing assistance with various competition law matters. Cologne-based IP experts Ingo Jung and Nadja Siebertz are the main contacts. Siebertz also acts as mediator.
abc finance GmbH
Donaldson Filtration Deutschland GmbH
Superior Industries Europe AG
WM Beautysystems AG
Zentralverband des deutschen Bäckerhandwerks
- Advice to the Donaldson Filtration Deutschland GmbH on trademark and competition law.
- Comprehensive advice to the Linda AG on trademark and competition law.
- Ongoing advice on competition law to the OBI Deutschland GmbH & Co KG, including representation in legal disputes. Regular advice on comparative advertising with regards to competitors and disputes with competition associations.
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
In addition to the Freiburg office's specialism in pharmaceutical sector work and in providing large brand manufacturers with trade mark and competition law advice, Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner's Cologne office is also experienced in product labelling law. Cologne-based David Kipping in particular advises on product launches, such as toys, electrical appliances, textiles and foodstuffs. The Frankfurt office is the main contact for matters at the intersection with copyright and media law. The team also regularly handles contentious work. Norbert Hebeis, Morton Douglas, known for his health sector focus, and Stephan Dittl are recommended.
Norbert Hebeis; Morton Douglas; David Kipping; Stephan Dittl
Grünecker's focus lies on competition law litigation with regular instructions on combating misleading advertising claims, while the team is also well versed in product labelling issues and combating anti-competitive counterfeiting, including border seizure proceedings. The team is one of the most successful trade mark and design law teams in the German market and, as such, is able to handle matters that require a broad set of expertise in soft IP. The core team consists of practice heads Ulrich Blumenröder, Anja Franke, Holger Gauss, Maximilian Kinkeldey, Nicolás Schmitz and Bernd Allekotte.
Ulrich Blumenröder; Anja Franke; Holger Gauss; Maximilian Kinkeldey; Nicolás Schmitz; Bernd Allekotte
Alongside its strong advisory capabilities, Heuking Kühn Lüer Wojtek handles a wide range of contentious proceedings. The integrated IP, Media & Technology practice group offers in-depth expertise in internet matters and also has a proven track record for cross-border mandates. The team led by Michael Schmittmann includes Ruben Alexander Hofmann, who made partner in January 2019, and Robert Güther, who mainly acts in forensic matters and joined the practice following an internal move.
APASSIONATA World GmbH
Cirque du Soleil
Gesellschafter der diconium group GmbH
Marc Cain GmbH
Michelin Reifenwerke AG & Co. KGaA
Näve Leuchten GmbH
Viessmann Werke GmbH & Co. KG
- Legal representation of the DALLI-WERKE GmbH & Co KG in a dispute regarding competition law against Chemolux Germany GmbH concerning the use of the Stiftung-Warentest-seal as the winner in the laundry detergent category.
JONAS Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
JONAS Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH provides ongoing advice on competition law matters as well as assistance with contentious proceedings. Particular emphasis is placed on advertising law alongside pricing-related competition law. The team acts for a diverse mix of sectors and counts several large German and international companies among its clients. Karl Hamacher, Martin Viefhues and Nils Weber jointly head the practice.
Karl Hamacher; Martin Viefhues; Nils Weber
Loschelder provides a broad range of services, which, in addition to advertising appearance and campaign assessments alongside the protection of business and trade secrets, also includes the assessment of product labels and licensing contract matters. IP experts Stefan Maaßen and Thomas Schulte-Beckhausen are the main contacts.
BIEK (Bundesverband Paket- und Expresslogistik)
Henkel AG & Co KGaA
Krüger GmbH & Co. KG
- Legal representation of B. Braun in comprehensive proceedings concerning the violation of confidentiality regarding company and trade secrets and software copy, including the representation in the proceedings to preserve evidence.
- Advice to the Krüger GmbH & Co. KG on product and packaging design of food products. In addition representation in disputes on trademark law and corresponding coordination with foreign law firms.
- Advice to the Armacell GmbH on combating insulation boards with false fire class ratings.
Noerr's integrated trade mark and competition law practice has become increasingly involved in international mandates, not least thanks to its offices in Alicante and Moscow. Representing clients in contentious proceedings also constitutes an increasingly significant portion of its workload but the team also acts in a purely advisory capacity. Team head Tobias Dolde divides his time between the offices in Munich and Alicante.
Other key lawyers:
Janina Wortmann; Valentina Nieß
Despite its young age, Osborne Clarke's team is already involved in a large number of contentious proceedings, often involving fundamental issues. Most notably, the team led by Marcus Sacré has been able to utilise its automotive sector expertise to handle a number of high-profile matters but it also covers various other sectors, including fashion, food and beverages and healthcare.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very pragmatical approach, high skill level, very good knowledge of economical correlations.’
‘Marcus Sacré: Very qualified and experienced, very practice-oriented. Fast, reliable, creative.’
Asklepios Kliniken GmbH & Co. KGaA
Fitness First Germany GmbH und Fitness First Ltd.
Hella Gutmann Solutions GmbH
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH
Verband der Automotive Data Publisher (ADPA)
- Legal representation of the Verband der Automotive Data Publishers in landmark proceedings on the calculation of licence fees for car manufacturers to access data and technical information.
- Comprehensive advice to Figiefa on the protection of sensor-generated data and the complementary data bases as well as on matters of competition law with regards to interconnected vehicles.
- Comprehensive advice to Fitness First Germany GmbH and Fitness First Ltd. on trademark and competition law.
Preu Bohlig & Partner
With offices in Munich, Düsseldorf, Hamburg and Berlin, Preu Bohlig & Partner provides extensive competition law advice and frequently handles disputes, with the majority of its mandates pertaining to summary alongside cease and desist proceedings. The team also assists with the development of new distribution and marketing measures. Due to the firm's specialisation in pharmaceutical and food law, it also receives regular competition law instructions at this intersection, such as the admissibility of advertising under the German Medicines Act and the Act on the Advertising of Medical Products (HWG). Advising on the protection of trade secrets also counts as an area of particular strength. Astrid Gérard, Andreas Haberl, Jürgen Schneider, Ludwig von Zumbusch, Christian Donle and Torben Düsing jointly head the practice.
Christian Donle; Torben Düsing; Astrid Gérard; Andreas Haberl; Jürgen Schneider; Ludwig von Zumbusch
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Hoppe; Axel Oldekop
Candice Cooper AG
Christo Mare Yachting Sp. zo.o
Erich Adam Warenhandelsgesellschaft mbH
Frey + Lau GmbH
Insider Yacht Manufaktur GmbH
Koenig & Bauer MetalPrint GmbH
Möve Bikes GmbH
- Ongoing advice to the Erich Adam Warenhandelsgesellschaft mbH on competition and data protection law.
- Advice to Frey + Lau GmbH on claims resulting from the violation of confidentiality regarding company and trade secrets by former employees. Support also on the criminal prosecution of the violations.
- Advice on competition law to the Insider Yacht Manufaktur GmbH.
White & Case LLP acts for an extensive roster of large international technology companies and stands out for its focus on contentious work. Team head Markus Mette and his team are frequently involved in cross-border mandates, particularly those with US elements. As well as acting for many technology companies, the team also received new instructions from German and international companies from other sectors.
- Comprehensive advice to Facebook on disputes concerning competition law.
Arnecke Sibeth Dabelstein
Arnecke Sibeth Dabelstein focuses on advising companies in regulated industries, such the food, chemical, cosmetics and pharmaceutical sectors, on various contentious and non-contentious competition law matters, while the team led by Thomas Körber and Anton Maria Ostler also has extensive experience in sports law. In January 2019, Alexander Feitzinger, who handles media and internet law alongside competition and distribution law work, was elevated to the partnership.
Thomas Körber; Anton Maria Ostler
Other key lawyers:
Tudor Vlah; Alexander Feitzinger
Apollo 18 GmbH
Bianca Jasmin Murthy
Colliers International Deutschland GmbH
DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH
Renusol Europe GmbH
Weiss Umwelttechnik GmnH
Werner & Mertz GmbH
- Comprehensive advice to the DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH, Die Liga – Ligaverband e.V., Bundesliga International GmbH and Sportcast GmbH on several written warnings and court procedures. Preparation of surveys on advertising and marketing opportunities. Actions against several domain owners regarding exploitation of reputation, including several successfully conducted preliminary injunction proceedings against owners of typing error domains.
- Comprehensive advice to the Werner & Mertz GmbH and Erdal-Rex Gmbh on several proceedings against Procter & Gamble concerning environmental advertising, including satirical and comparative advertising.
- Legal representation of Dentsply Sirona in court proceedings against a competitor regarding advertising in the medical sector.
Baker McKenzie succeeded in further expanding its activities for consumer goods manufacturers. The team co-led by Michael Fammler and Rembert Niebel receives regular instructions on trade mark and competition law matters, such as those pertaining to actions against the sale of counterfeit products, particularly on the internet.
Michael Fammler; Rempelt Niebel
- Ongoing advice and legal representation of Calvin Klein in the course of the enforcement scheme to combat the online distribution of counterfeit products. In addition strategic advice on product launches.
- Advice on trademark and competition law to Hasbro.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH regularly handles non-contentious matters pertaining to product launches and relaunches, where the team often acts at the interface with distribution law. Practice heads Detlef Mäder and Geert Johann Seelig are also experienced in contentious work.
Detlef Mäder; Geert Johann Seelig
Daniel Wellington AB
Imperial Tobacco Ltd./Reemtsma Cigarettenfabriken GmbH
KIA MOTORS Corp.
Molkerei Ammerland eG
Saint Gobain Glass
The Nomad Company B. V.
Warsteiner Brauerei Haus Kramer KG/Warsteiner International KG
- Advice to Harley Davidson on trademark and competition law with regards to the distribution network of the client.
- Advice on competition and advertising law to the Hakle GmbH.
- Legal representation of the VAG GmbH in several disputes concerning trademark and competition law.
As well as advising life sciences sector clients, Simmons & Simmons has also carved out a strong practice acting for TMT sector clients, while other areas of expertise include plant variety rights and automotive sector work. The team advises large international companies as well as German medium-sized companies. Peter Meyer heads the practice, while Michael Knospe and Daniel Kendziur, who made partner in May 2018, are the main contacts for competition law.
‘Great knowledge, hands-on approach’
Audi Business Innovation
Polo Ralph Lauren
- Advice on competition law to Samsung Electronics GmbH concerning the legal requirements for electronic devices.
- Advice to Apple and Pear Australia Limited on matters concerning the plant varieties protection law, in particular on the intersection with competition and antitrust law.
- Comprehensive advice on matters of trademark and competition law and regulatory matters to Fontem concerning the launch of the e-cigarette BLU respectively MY BLU as well as on the market launch campaign SOMETHING BETTER.