Healthcare and life sciences in Germany
Baker McKenzie's practice handles the full spectrum of health and life sciences sector work. Team head Thilo Räpple is one of the most renowned regulatory lawyers in pharmaceutical and medical device law but also demonstrates expertise in food and drug advertising law. The team is also a top advisor for compliance and antitrust matters as well as distribution law issues. In the transactional sphere, the team's integration into the firm's global network means that international mandates constitute a key portion of its workload, while, in other work, the team is experienced in handling complex public procurement procedures. Clients also benefit from the firm's experienced IT and technology lawyers as well as its well-known patent law team.
Hitachi Chemical Company Ltd.
- Advised Mundipharma GmbH on the sale of the production site in Limburg to Fidelio Healthcare.
- Advised Hitachi Chemical Company Ltd. on the takeover of the apceth Biopharma, a leading provider of order development and contract manufacturing for innovative cell and gene therapies.
- Legal representation and advice on procurement law to a pharmaceutical company on a nationwide-initiated wave of tendering procedures of open-house pharmaceutical discount agreements regarding an oncological active ingredient.
Bird & Bird provides interdisciplinary assistance in the healthcare and life sciences sectors with particular expertise in public procurement, patent and antitrust law, while also handling regulatory and transactional matters. The interface between IP and regulatory requirements in medical law continues to open up new advisory fields for the team with a clear focus on medical apps. Boris Kreye heads the team, which includes public procurement lawyer Alexander Csaki. Patent lawyers Claus Becker and Sebastian Höpfner were made partners in May 2019.
Other key lawyers:
auric Hörsysteme GmbH & Co. KG
Fisher Paykel Healthcare
Philip Morris GmbH
Sanofi-Aventis US, Inc.
Teva GmbH / ratiopharm GmbH
- Comprehensive legal support to Aphria Deutschland GmbH regarding the successful participation in allocation procedures for the growth, processing, storage, packaging and delivery of medicinal cannabis, as well as legal representation in subsequent ongoing review procedures.
- Successful legal representation of BITMARCK in allocation procedures concerning electronic patient files.
- Advised a statutory health insurance company on a tender process in the medical aids sector and legal support to the statutory health insurance company in legal disputes at social courts and review bodies.
Clifford Chance receives praise for its transactional practice, which regularly acts for well-known healthcare and life sciences companies, as well as for its regulatory practice, known for its strong contentious and non-contentious capabilities. The team advises on all aspects of pharmaceutical and medical device law, from manufacturing to market access issues and distribution requirements, including antitrust and pharmaceutical advertising mandates as well as compliance work. Its expertise also extends to cosmetics and food law. Practice heads Peter Dieners and Ulrich Reese are the main contacts. IP specialist Gunnar Sachs is recommended.
‘Comprehensive legal advice in all relevant legal areas for the pharmaceutical industry; high quality work that gets to the point; accessible lawyers with whom you can speak openly: always friendly, always supportive, very easy to reach and very good internal information system. If one lawyer is on vacation or unavailable, another is incorporated into the case and the case continues without delay or problem.’
‘The team combines excellent regulatory expertise with a savvy life sciences transactional practice. One of the few European teams that are equal to US law firms.’
‘Ulrich Reese is one of the top experts in the field of pharmaceutical law, who combines excellent legal knowledge with deep industry knowledge. He provides excellent reports and briefs. The reasoning is to the point.’
‘Ulrich Reese offers excellent industry knowledge in the regulatory and transactional area. Experienced, persistent and skillful.’
‘Gunnar Sachs is a lawyer who not just does the job, but is personally interested in the case and the background, who wants to get a comprehensive picture, so that he can then give individual advice. He likes what he does and you notice that as a client. Technically outstanding. ‘
Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle für die Arzneimittelindustrie e.V.
Fresenius SE & Co. KGaA
MCM Klosterfrau Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH
Verband Forschender Arzneimittelhersteller e.V.
- Ongoing advice to GlaxoSmithKline on matters concerning market access/AMNOG, in particular regarding mixed pricing.
- Advice to Pfizer Inc. on an agreement with British company GlaxoSmithKline on the formation of a leading global Consumer Healthcare company.
- Provided legal representation in court and advice on competition law to Bayer AG concerning high selling products as Xarelto and mandates on pharmaceutical-advertising law.
CMS has extensive expertise in dealing with matters at the interface with health and digitalisation, leading to regular instructions on the establishment of medical health centre chains and software-controlled pharmacy solutions as well as the development and marketing of medical apps. As a member of the firm's life sciences and healthcare group, the team regularly advises on cross-border mandats in the firm's core areas of expertise: pharmaceuticals, medical devices, biotechnology and agriculture. This includes advising animal health sector clients. The team's strength lies in advising on product liability and compliance matters as well as assisting with transactions and pharmaceutical advertising law. Jens Wagner, Jörn Witt and Roland Wiring jointly head the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘What we particularly value about CMS is the pragmatic and practice-oriented approach, the service orientation, the very high professional quality and the distinctive industry expertise.’
‘Fast, competent, customised, practical.’
Bayer Vital GmbH
Eli Lilly and Company
GE Healthcare Buchler GmbH & Co. KG
Nordmark Arzneimittel GmbH & Co. KG
- Legal representation and advice to GE Healthcare Buchler GmbH & Co. KG on reimbursement and benefit assessment of AMNOG after the approval of a new medicinal product.
- Legal representation and ongoing advice to AstraZeneca GmbH on matters of pharmaceutical-advertising law.
- Legal representation and comprehensive advice to Nordmark Arzneimittel GmbH & Co. KG on research and development contracts, licensing contracts and on strategic business development.
D+B Rechtsanwälte is known for its in-depth knowledge of the law on statutory health insurers but also covers various other health law areas. Its scope spans hospital law, including hospital planning and financing law, as well as pharmaceutical, medical device and therapeutic products law, while also handling compliance, IP and data protection matters. The team complements this offering with expertise in the law of healing practitioners.
Dentons provides a broad range of services, from transactional support and advice on research and development contracts, cooperation agreements and technology transfer contracts to regulatory matters, such as selective and distribution agreements, as well as social data protection requirements and compliance. This broad range of expertise is also reflected in the trio heading the practice: it consists of hospital transaction specialist Christof Kautzsch, Ilka Mehdorn, who was appointed co-head of the European Life Sciences Regulatory Group in March 2019, and Peter Homberg, whose responsibilities include the management of the German Life Sciences and, since 2019, the European cannabis sector group. Public procurement expert Andreas Haak joined the team in January 2019 from Taylor Wessing.
Other key lawyers:
Apotheker-Verband Berlin (BAV) e.V.
Canopy Growth Corporation
Fidelio Healthcare GmbH
Kaia Health Software GmbH
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
- Advised Berliner Apotheken-Verband (a pharmacy association) in a complex legal dispute between several big pharmaceutical companies, different pharmacist associations and a vaccine manufacturer concerning the agreement amongst statutory health insurance companies on the purchase of influenza vaccines.
- Advice to the Canadian medicinal cannabis manufacturer Canopy Growth on the purchase of all shares in Storz & Bickel with a transaction volume of €135m .
- Advice to Fidelio Healthcare on the acquisition of the production sector of Mundipharma in Limburg.
Dierks+Company focuses on advising pharmaceutical, diagnostic and medical device manufacturers as well as a wide range of digital healthcare providers. Frequently these clients retain the team led by founding partner Christian Dierks to advise on various matters concerning the development, product launch, reimbursement and distribution of their products. Since the firm's foundation at the beginning of 2018, it has been providing legal as well as strategic support under one roof, which includes project management and information technology work. In January 2019, the team increased its bench strength by adding pharmaceutical law expert Sebastian Retter from Junghans & Radau.
‘Friendly and result-oriented cooperation, always available, flexible and very well connected.’
‘Absolute specialists in this field.’
Alnylam Switzerland GmbH
B. Braun Melsungen AG
Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin
Deutsche Krebsgesellschaft e.V.
European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)
Lohmann & Rauscher International GmbH & Co. KG
Novartis International AG
Tesaro Bio Germany GmbH
- Advised Alexion Pharma GmbH on several lawsuits concerning the restructuring of the medicines market (AMNOG) and matters of pharmaceutical law and refund issues.
- Advised QD-Laser Inc. on the conduct of the clinical trial of laser glasses by a Japanese manufacturer.
- Legal representation for Lohmann & Rauscher International GmbH & Co. KG in a legal dispute at the VG Köln (administrative court) concerning the classification of a new product as medicine or biocide.
Ehlers, Ehlers & Partner has AMNOG-related work and legislative procedures at its core but the team is also well versed in advising on M&A transactions and restructuring projects. Increasingly, the team co-led by Alexander Ehlers and Christian Rybak, who provides wide-ranging advice on pharmaceutical law and life sciences matters, has also been handling issues at the intersection with healthcare and digitalisation as well as compliance matters. In data protection, and in cooperation with an independent service provider, the team is also able to provide tailored GDPR advice.
Deutsche Beteiligungs AG (DBAG)
- Advised DaVita in the course of the legislative process regarding the Terminservice- und Versorgungsgesetz (TSVG).
- Advised Deutsche Beteiligungs AG (DBAG) in the course of the complex restructuring and the expansion of a nationwide provider for radiological services, as well as comprehensive advice regarding the legislative process for the Terminservice- und Versorgungsgesetz (TSVG).
- Advised EUSA Pharma on price negotiations with the Spitzenverband Bund der Krankenkassen (GKV-SV).
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer is traditionally strong in large transactions, which are often in a cross-border setting, while also having a strong patent law team as well as in-depth regulatory expertise covering compliance, product liability and pharmaceutical distribution law matters. Jochen Dieselhorst, Michael Ramb and Marcel Kaufmann are the main contacts for regulatory issues and Frank-Erich Hufnagel for patent law work.
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner's range of services includes assistance with M&A transactions in the healthcare sector and advising pharmacies on data protection, IP, product liability and other matters. Clients also regularly retain the team to advise on pharmaceutical and pharmaceutical advertising law. In addition, it has significantly expanded its compliance offering, which includes assistance with cooperation agreements with clinics and research institutions. Employment law matters are handled from the Frankfurt office. Barbara Mayer heads the practice from Freiburg.
Other key lawyers:
‘Broad team with competent contacts who work proactively.’
‘The team in Frankfurt knows the complex healthcare market very well and covers all facets of legal advice, especially in the hospital sector. Furthermore, there is an enormous amount of experience that is more than useful and helpful in current processes. When it comes to interdisciplinary topics, communication and management are superbly organised.’
‘The firm is run in a highly professional manner. If topics go beyond a department, additional colleagues from the network will be consulted. The firm is always available. Appointments are kept.’
‘Speed, precision, exceptional sectoral expertise, also across national borders.’
Gleiss Lutz stands out for its expertise in advising statutory health insurance funds and health insurance associations, while also benefiting from its strong transactional practice, which includes the venture capital sector. In addition, the team headed by Reimar Buchner and Martin Viciano Gofferje also provides hospitals and pharmaceutical manufacturers with regulatory advice. Its regulatory and transactional offering is complemented by an experienced public procurement team and colleagues with patent, trade mark, competition and drug advertising law expertise. With the counsel appointment of Enno Burk in December 2018, the team boosted its regulatory segment alongside its compliance and pharmaceutical advertising law offering.
‘Reliable and practical expert advice on the healthcare sector with sound empirical knowledge.’
‘Reimar Buchner has outstanding empirical knowledge of the hospital industry and a far-sighted approach.’
‘Marco König is a very reliable and knowledgeable advisor on all healthcare issues.
Hengeler Mueller continues to be one of the top contacts in Germany for large-scale transactions and has a clear focus on hospitals and medical care centres. Its regulatory practice is equally renowned, handling advisory mandates as well as media-effective contentious proceedings, including disputes before the Federal Social Court and the Federal Constitutional Court. The team has a particular focus on pharmaceutical law and the law of statutory health insurance funds, while also increasing its market visibility in the compliance sphere and expanding its e-health and health data protection offering.
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare GmbH & Co. KG
Fresenius SE & Co. KGaA
Johnson & Johnson
Omnicare Holding GmbH & Co. KG
Sonic Healthcare Limited
- Advice to a pharmaceutical manufacturer on an internal investigation and defence in investigative procedures on the grounds of suspicion of corruption in the healthcare system.
- Advice to Mylan N.V. on antitrust and regulatory matters.
- Advised the Bayer AG on the sale of the business sector for prescription-only dermatological products to LEO Pharma.
Hogan Lovells International LLP handles the full remit of healthcare and life sciences work. Its highly specialised team consists of life sciences group head and European commercial and regulatory team co-head Jörg Schickert, main contact for drug advertising law Tanja Eisenblätter, patent team head Andreas von Falck, key contact for national and international transactions Lutz Angerer and main contact for product liability and compliance Ina Brock. Thanks to its close cooperation with various offices across its network, the practice is well versed in handling purely national as well as cross-border work. The firm also stands out for its strong trade mark and competition law capabilities. The recommended Arne Thiermann, who specialises in commercial compliance and regulatory work, is another key member of the team. In January 2019, M&A lawyers Daniel Dehghanian and Alexander Koch, patent lawyer Stephan Neuhaus, IT and IP expert Martin Pflüger and data protection and IT specialist Christian Tinnefeld were made partners.
Other key lawyers:
‘Accessible, reliable, great commitment for the client. Exceptionally good legal knowledge. Highly professional negotiating skills.’
‘Arne Thiermann is a very experienced lawyer in the life sciences field.’
‘What distinguishes Arne Thiermann is his ability to distinguish important from unimportant things in contract negotiations. ArneThiermann determines the priorities proactively in advance with the client.’
Castik Captial S.à.r.l.
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
Merck & Co., Inc.
Shop Apotheke N.V.
- Legal representation of an international research-based pharmaceutical company and its German branch in a multitude of disputes regarding unlawful advertising messages and advice on compliance matters concerning pharmaceutical-advertising law on German and international levels.
- Advised Merck & Co., Inc. on a large cross-border lawsuit concerning the trademark rights regarding the company symbol MERCK.
- Legal representation of Garmin as the defendant in two seperate competitor-instigated patent infringement proceedings regarding Garmin’s fitness tracking devices.
King & Spalding LLP puts significant emphasis on instructions at the interface with pharmaceutical, food and nutritional supplement law, while also having solid experience in medical device law. The team led by Ulf Grundmann also succeeded in expanding its data protection and compliance services. As part of the firm's Food & Beverage practice, it is able to draw on in-house expertise in non-German legal frameworks when handling cross-border work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very experienced in pharmaceutical, competition, food, trademark and European law.’
Dr. Willmar Schwabe GmbH & Co.KG
Novartis Pharma AG
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
SGF International e.V.
Teva Pharmaceuticals Europe B.V.
VSM Geneesmiddelen B.V.
- Advised Pfizer Consumer Healthcare on pharmaceutical, medicinal, food and competition law and on the development of new food supplements for the EU.
- Legal representation of Dr. Willmar Schwabe in disputes concerning the differentiation of medicinal products and food products.
- Legal representation of the Deutsche Homöopathie-Union in competition law proceedings concerning homeopathic remedies.
With Henning Schneider and Christoph Engeler as co-heads, Latham & Watkins LLP's team is led by two of the most renowned corporate lawyers in the German healthcare market. While Schneider is predominantly active in the healthcare segment, Engeler puts significant emphasis on life sciences mandates. The team has extensive experience in advising healthcare services providers but also acts for investors, including banks and large private equity firms. In doing so, the team provides in-depth regulatory assistance to support a broad client base, leading to instructions from the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical technology and hospital sectors. The firm's full-service offering also enables the team to advise clients on various other related matters.
‘The entire team gives the impression of real team performance, with each team member being able to bring in their personal skills and strengths. This unique interaction between colleagues means that even complex issues can be checked and dealt with competently and in all facets. The respectful dealings with each other also lead to a trusting and pleasant atmosphere in the client discussion.’
‘The team is characterised by high efficiency, speed and reliability. Another positive aspect is that the team is so well organised that there are no delays or bottlenecks even in times of high stress.’
‘Henning Schneider’s outstanding qualities are extensive experience, excellent knowledge and the greatest confidence. These characteristics create trust in the negotiation strategy and are reassuring.’
‘Henning Schneider is not only a shrewd lawyer, but also an excellent expert in the healthcare industry with all its complexities and constant changes.’
Charité/Stadt Berlin und Stiftung Deutsches Herzzentrum
DPE Deutsche Private Equity
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
SHL Telemedizin GmbH
- Advisefd SHL Telemedizin GmbH on corporate law, as well as other topics such as contracts for integrated care and pilot schemes with statutory health insurance providers and matters of procurement, data protection and employment law.
- Advised Chequers Capital on the sale of the Deutsche Fachpflege Gruppe, a leading provider of intensive care in Germany, to Advent International.
- Advised Siemens AG regarding the stock market flotation of its medical technology sector on the regulated market (Prime Standard) of the Frankfurt stock exchange.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH predominately acts for university clinics, hospitals, care homes and outpatient facilities with a clear focus on transactional work but the team is also increasingly visible in the regulatory sphere, handling medical device and pharmaceutical law issues, among others. The team co-led by Oliver Kairies, of counsel Cornelia Yzer and Denis Ullrich lost transaction specialist Claudia Strohe at the end of 2018. She is now at the Ministry for Social Affairs, Labour, Health and Demography of Rhineland-Palatinate.
Other key lawyers:
‘Luther convinces with an overall very high level of competence. Tasks are processed very quickly and always on time. Solutions are individually adapted to the respective situation. The cooperation is also very pleasant from a human perspective.’
‘High level of expertise in M&A and corporate law, tax law and healthcare. Very well coordinated collaboration of specialists in one project.’
‘Oliver Kairies and Hendrik Bernd Sehy: Each impresses with an extremely high level of service. The teams are highly competent and also act proactively in the interests of the client. ‘
AWO Bezirksverband Hannover e. V.
Kliniken des Landkreises Lörrach
Lavorel Medicare S. A.
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Stadtkrankenhaus Delmenhorst GmbH
Städtisches Klinikum Braunschweig gGmbH
ZytoService Beta GmbH
- Advised Lavorel Medicare S.A. on the sale of the Bonitas-care group to a corporation of Advent International.
- Advised the city of Cologne on transactions as a preparation for one of the largest clinic groups in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Advised the university medical centre in Göttingen on a new university teaching hospital, including the concept design and organisation of an investment and financing scheme of over €1bn for a new university teaching hospital in Göttingen.
Möhrle Happ Luther specialises in advising on AMNOG, compliance and pharmaceutical advertising law. Its clients include national and international pharmaceutical companies and German medium-sized companies, who regularly receive assistance with distribution agreements alongside research and development contracts as well as increasingly with employment and corporate law. Start-ups also account for a significant portion of the team's client portfolio. Key individuals include practice head Henning Anders and IP expert Julia Luther. As well as the team's in-house experience, one of the firm's key features is its cooperation with its tax advisors and auditors.
Other key lawyers:
Almirall Hermal GmbH
Novartis Pharma GmbH
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare GmbH
Pfizer Deutschland GmbH
Pfizer Pharma GmbH
- Long-standing advice to the Pfizer Pharma GmbH, Pfizer Deutschland GmbH and Pfizer Consumer Healthcare GmbH on pharmaceutical-advertising law concerning the introduction of a new innovative vaccine, comprehensive support in legal disputes as well as pharmaceutical-advertising law in the sector of non-prescription medicine.
- Comprehensive advice to the Novartis Pharma GmbH on compliance matters, contracts with third parties and business development.
- Advice to Almirall Hermal GmbH on compliance matters, contracts with third parties and business development. Including extrajudicial advice on pharmaceutical-advertising law, as well as support in legal disputes and comprehensive advice on the market access sector.
As well as providing transitional assistance, McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP's team led by Stephan Rau also provides regulatory advice. Its offering includes investments in hospital operators, laboratories and pharmaceutical companies as well as medical device manufacturers and online pharmacies. Handling venture capital transactions constitutes another key element of the practice. Despite Katharina Wodarz's move to Raue in January 2019, the practice continues to provide regulatory advice, for example on clinical studies alongside research and development contracts.
‘McDermott Will & Emery has a multidisciplinary team that answers questions taking into account all legal areas. The team has short reaction times and suggests individualised state-of-the-art solutions.’
‘Stephan Rau is a versatile lawyer who is also able to take an entrepreneurial perspective and provide practical advice.’
‘Very proactive team, committed and always available, good teamwork with in-house teams.’
‘Rüdiger Herrmann is an industry specialist, an intimate connoisseur of the market and trends.’
Düsseldorf-based boutique NOVACOS Rechtsanwälte focuses on regulatory pharmaceutical and medical device law, while also being well versed in handling instructions from the food supplement, cosmetics and chemical sectors, including pesticides and biocides. The five founding partners Maria Heil, Christian Hübner, Alexander Natz, Marc Oeben and Christian Stallberg succeeded in expanding the practice since its foundation in 2016, both in terms of its team as well as its mandates. Most notably, assisting clients with M&A transactions in the healthcare sector now accounts for a key portion of the team's workload. Cross-border instructions are routinely handled in conjunction with an international network of cooperation partners.
‘Very deep industry knowledge, good complementation of the individual focus areas of the partners, small but fine unit, very high service level.’
‘Excellent all-round advice in the healthcare sector, both in a transactional context and in the operative area.’
‘The lawyers’ focus rests on their excellent expertise in the context of the health policy system in Germany, the expertise regarding existing laws and upcoming laws in the health sector, networking with all important stakeholders in the health care system, and the development, negotiation and final support of bilateral contracts between health system actors.’
‘Unique experience in the healthcare sector.’
‘You can feel the great professional passion of the partners. Very pleasant and somewhat more personal dealings than in part with larger law firms. Due to the composition of the firm, the partner/associate ratio tends towards a strong partner. This means slightly higher hourly rates, but also good efficiency.’
‘Christian Hübner: Very good knowledge of the Health Care System Act, high service level, very fast response times.’
‘Christian Stallberg: Excellent knowledge in the area of market access and pricing, practical, very easy to reach, very good for brainstorming.’
‘Christian Stallberg: Excellent networking in healthcare, absolute and very competent expert on legal issues; active in association work in the pharmaceutical industry.’
‘Marc Oeben has unique industry knowledge in the healthcare sector.’
Dr. Willmar Schwabe GmbH & Co. KG
- Advised Insmed on a clinical phase III-study in Europe, in particular assessment and preparation of draft contracts, contract negotiations with study centres throughout Europe and continuous coordination with the clinical team of Insmed and the external contract research organisation Syneos Health.
- Comprehensive advice to Orchard Therapeutics on market entry regarding a advanced therapy medicinal product with emphasis on regulations for new examination and treatment methods and AMNOG.
Oppenhoff & Partner is well versed in providing transactional support as well as in providing pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers with regulatory advice. Other areas of expertise include pharmaceutical advertising law and compliance work and, most notably, tax law matters, where the team calls upon its in-house tax advisors. Peter Klappich heads the team.
‘Deep expertise in pharmaceutical law.’
‘Peter Klappich is an accomplished litigator.’
Evonik Industries AG
Forschungs- und Entwicklungszentrum für Tierarzneimittel
LR Health & Beauty Systems GmbH
US-amerikanische Private Equity-Firma
- Advised a pharmaceutical manufacturer on European and national proceedings concerning the approval of pharmaceuticals, in particular on the dispute with the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices regarding pharmaceutical law and subsequently with the EU commission on the approval of a medicinal product.
- Comprehensive advice to a US-American private equity company on regulatory matters concerning the import of cannabis to Germany via a portfolio company purchased by the client.
- Advice to a pharmaceutical company on legal disputes concerning the taxation of parallel trade.
Oppenländer Rechtsanwälte is particularly well known for its extensive experience in advising pharmacies, and its solid pharmaceutical advertising law practice. Its expertise also extends to food, cosmetics and medical device law as well as hospital and medical law-related issues. Timo Kieser, Katharina Köbler and Christina Koppe-Zagouras jointly head the team.
Other key lawyers:
Accord Healthcare GmbH
Bayer Vital GmbH
Deutsches Zahnärztliches Rechenzentrum
Dr. Falk Pharma GmbH
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare GmbH & Co. KG
WEPA Apothekenbedarf GmbH & Co. KG
- Advised on regulations and license contractual agreements to WEPA Apothekenbedarf GmbH & Co. KG on the introduction of digital offers for pharmacies.
- Advised on pharmaceutical and therapeutic law to GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare GmbH & Co. KG.
- Advice on pharmaceutical law to Accord HealthCare Ltd. (UK) and other group companies with regards to Brexit.
Preu Bohlig & Partner
Preu Bohlig & Partner continues to be one of the regulatory heavyweights in the market. The team led by the experienced Peter von Czettritz, which includes pharmaceutical, patent and competition law expert Alexander Meier, who joined the firm at the start of 2019 from HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER, acts both forensically as well as in a purely advisory capacity. The team is particularly known for its expertise in handling third party proceedings but also covers various other matters such as those pertaining to medical device and competition law. In addition, clients also receive assistance with food, cosmetics, compliance and product liability issues.
Other key lawyers:
Anwaltskanzlei Quaas und Partner
Based in Dortmund and Stuttgart and specialising in health and public law, boutique law firm Anwaltskanzlei Quaas und Partner is particularly active in hospital law, while also having extensive experience in rehabilitation, care home and nursing law. Medical lawyers Michael Quaas, Till Flachsbarth and Jens Kuhlmann are the main contacts.
Raue significantly expanded its regulatory practice with the arrival of health law expert Katharina Wodarz from McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP in January 2019. As well as hospital planning and hospital financing law matters and issues pertaining to cooperation agreements and the legislation regarding panel physicians, which are frequently handled by Maren Bedau and practice head Wolfgang Kuhla, the team also advises on pharmaceutical and pharmacy law and has the necessary experience to provide regulatory support for M&A transactions.
‘Always available, friendly and on schedule.’
‘Highly competent team, well organised and coordinated internally. Cooperation runs smoothly and with great expertise.’
‘Wolfgang Kuhla is able to pick up any contract or discussion partner in any situation and to achieve an agreement or at least an understanding of the respective situation.’
‘Maren Bedau is a highly competent contact person in contract doctor law, who can also provide excellent information unprepared for all relevant questions.’
‘Katharina Wodarz is very committed with maximum specialist knowledge and an excellent network with everyone involved. She always thinks about the respective business model.’
Sträter Rechtsanwälte is one of the regulatory heavyweights in the market. The Bonn-based boutique handles a wide range of pharmaceutical and medical device law work and is experienced in advising on product liability matters, clinical studies, distribution law mandates and issues pertaining to the law of statutory health insurance funds. Founder and name partner Burkhard Sträter and pharmaceutical law expert Markus Ambrosius are among the key members of the team.
Other key lawyers:
With Manja Epping leading the firm's life sciences group and Michael Stein heading its healthcare team, Taylor Wessing is one of the few firms in Germany with an independent practice group for these two segments. In the healthcare transactional sphere, the team continues to predominately act for operators of medical care centres and stationary care facilities and has been able to further increase its deal flow in these areas. In life sciences, the team mainly advises pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers on regulatory, pharmaceutical advertising, patent and product liability matters with a particular focus on issues concerning the protection of biosimilars and second-medical-use patents. Since the beginning of 2019, the practice has been cooperating with the US firm Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati in order to expand its international technology and life sciences transactional activities. Salary partner and corporate specialist Stephan Doom joined the team in March 2019 from International Chemical Investors Group, while IT lawyers Paul Voigt and Thanos Rammos as well as public procurement and state aid specialist Michael Brüggemann were made equity partners in May 2019. Wolfgang Rehmann is another key member of the team and an expert in pharmaceutical and medical device law. Andreas Haak joined Dentons in January 2019.
Other key lawyers:
NORD Holding Unternehmensbeteiligungsgesellschaft
Trilantic Capital Partners Europe
- Long-standing legal representation of Bayer Pharma in pharmaceutical liability lawsuits, most recently concerning oral contraception and drugs used for thrombosis prophylaxis.
- Advice to NORD Holding on the acquisition of the Zentrum Gesundheit-Gruppe from Waterland Private Equity during the course reinvestment by the management.
- Legal advice to portfolio companies of Trilantic Capital Partners Europe.
Tsambikakis & Partner Rechtsanwälte
Specialising in medical criminal law, boutique Tsambikakis & Partner Rechtsanwälte acts for physicians and clinics as well as pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers. Handling manager liability matters, particularly in the hospital sector, constitutes another key portion of its workload. Founder Michael Tsambikakis heads the team, which, since spring 2019, also includes criminal lawyer Thorsten Zebisch, who was previously at Quedenfeld Rechtsanwälte.
‘Competent and negotiating support, which is characterised by very close coordination. Technically very good and strategically excellent advice.’
‘In addition to the specialist competence in criminal law and medical law, the employees exude a sovereign calm that is very helpful in complex questions. Nothing is covered here, but what is really important and relevant for the customer is worked out together with the customer. At any time one has the impression that advice is given here with a sense of proportion and in this sense. Absolutely trustworthy!’
‘Michael Tsambikakis and Simone Lersch: Very good overviews and insights into the special features of the healthcare market and the strategic perspective that leads to optimal advice and decision-making in the company.’
von BOETTICHER Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB assists international pharmaceutical companies, German medium-sized companies and start-ups with pharmaceutical advertising law matters as well as vaccine law-related issues. Other areas of expertise include compliance and contractual mandates, such as research and development contracts as well as licensing and distribution agreements. The team's key figures include pharmaceutical law expert Claudia Böhm, Munich-based IP lawyer Oliver Stöckel, who specialises in pharmaceutical advertising, medical device and pharmaceutical law, and Berlin-based Anselm Brandi-Dohrn, who is particularly active in IT and pharmaceutical law.
‘The practice is partner-oriented, which is why, as a client, you have the same contact person in the law firm for many years, who knows not only their business but also that of the client. Due to the cooperation with a partner who is specialised in the respective area, the processing is cost-efficient and is done promptly. You feel well looked after.’
‘Claudia Böhm impresses with her clear and structured thinking, with which she gets to the point of any problems and solves them in a targeted and efficient manner. In addition, her extensive legal knowledge and strategic approach are impressive. She masters her craft in every way!’
Belano Medical AG
CellAct Pharma GmbH
EVER Neuro Pharma GmbH
Gilead Sciences GmbH
LEO Pharma GmbH
Madaus & Lauscher GmbH
- Advised Belano Medical AG on research and development contracts and on IP-rights, in particular on licensing agreements and on marketing contracts with international large-scale companies.
- Advised Gilead Sciences GmbH on advertising for a new drug used in HIV-therapy, as well as advice and legal representation in several disputes with competitors under pharmaceutical law concerning new drugs for HIV-therapy.
- Legal representation of the LEO Pharma GmbH in complex legal disputes under pharmaceutical-advertising law concerning advertising for heparins and dermatological products.
WilmerHale is particularly active in data protection work. During the reporting period, the team focused on clinical studies, pharmacovigilance and data use via healthcare apps. Other work pertains to matters at the interface with health, antitrust and distribution law with a focus on European law. This focus on European law is also reflected by team head Hans-Georg Kamann, who divides his time between Frankfurt and Brussels.
Other key lawyers:
Becton Dickinson GmbH
Bundesverband der pharmazeutischen Industrie (BPI e.V.)
Bundesinnung der Hörgeräteakustiker (biha)
Bundesverband des pharmazeutischen Großhandels e.V. (PHAGRO)
IDEXX Europe B.V.
Institut Straumann AG
Karyopharm, Inc. und Karyopharm Deutschland GmbH
- Advice to the German Pharmaceutical Industry Association on data protection matters and on the implementation of the GDPR in pharmaceutical companies for clinical studies, on international data transfer in third countries, research with patient data and the handling of deletion issues.
- Advice to a leading German pharmaceutical company on IT and data protection matters, as well as on clinical studies, biobanks and pending legal disputes in the USA.
- Advising the Federal Association of the Pharmaceutical Wholesale Trade on GDPR matters concerning Pharma-agricultural companies.