Thanks to its broad offering and, at the same time, high level of specialisation, Baker McKenzie continues to be among the market leaders. With Thilo Räpple in the Frankfurt office heading the practice, the team has an expert in pharmaceuticals and medical products law, who provides transactional support as well as stand-alone advice, and also has a wealth of experience in medical products adverting law and food law. The firm's antitrust law practice is equally noteworthy; with Christian Burholt in Berlin, it has an industry expert, who heads the healthcare industry group for Germany and Austria, which was established in 2018, and, at the same time, chairs the EMEA healthcare practice. Renowned public procurement lawyer Marc Gabriel, also based in Berlin, is another key figure of the team and has in-depth sector-specific expertise. The group is also rated for its IT and data protection capabilities and, thanks to the firm's international set-up, counts cross-border work among its core competences.
Healthcare and life sciences in Germany
'A powerful, high-performance team that benefits greatly from Thilo Räpple's expertise and experience. '
' Thilo Räpple is extremely precise and at the same time very fast and always delivers absolutely practical solutions, while being extremely pleasant to work with. He has – felt – thought through and solved every new problem in the past and always came up with the right plan immediately; extensive experience not only in the core area of health, but also in peripheral and secondary areas. '
- DAX30 group: Representation in a DIS arbitration for purchase price claims / earn-out claims after a company acquisition in the pharmaceutical sector.
- Global manufacturer of medical devices: Advice on various data protection official procedures and the accompanying data protection advice in this context at the interface with medical and pharmaceutical law.
- Global manufacturer of medical devices: Advice on data protection law for complex and high-profile marketing campaigns for medical devices with an interface to the HWG
Clifford Chance is best known for its national and cross-border transaction practice and, with Peter Dieners and Ulrich Reese in the lead, the team is led by two of the most renowned life sciences and healthcare specialists in Germany. The team's expertise includes regulatory issues in the pharmaceutical and medical project sector with market access issues and compliance mandates counting as particular strengths together with the development and implementation of new cooperation models in the healthcare and life sciences sectors. This includes, for example, instructions pertaining to digital healthcare, such as those frequently handled by Gunnar Sachs. The team's good reputation became visible during the Covid-19 pandemic when it received a large number of time-critical mandates, including those pertaining to vaccines and disinfectants.
'' Good networking within the law firm on a very wide range of topics. Topics are also submitted if it does not correspond to the core competence of the usual contact person. Young colleagues are closely involved in all processes (mentoring program). '
' Ulrich Reese: Fantastic industry knowledge. '
' The Düsseldorf legal team around Gunnar Sachs and Ulrich Reese: Very good understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, very good understanding of business interests, solution-oriented work, finding creative solutions. '
' Gunnar Sachs: partner you want to work with. High level of identification with projects on which he is advising; very good understanding of the pharmaceutical industry; Fellow thinkers and lateral thinkers; extremely sympathetic demeanor; business and solution oriented. He has perfected finding the right balance between 'external consultants' and 'co-thinkers for the client's project team'. '
' Ulrich Reese and Peter Dieners: Both partners are very uncomplicated and trustworthy in their cooperation, exceptionally well-founded in terms of their subject matter, but provide pragmatic advice that is easy to implement in practice. '
' Gunnar Sachs: Dear, competent contact person, great expertise in the pharmaceutical sector, very clear in his statements. Customer-oriented, flexible also in its availability. '
' Gunnar Sachs: Clear and stringent advice on HWG. '
' Carolin Kemmner: Despite relatively short professional experience, high degree of understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and knowledge of the market; extremely sympathetic demeanor; excellent contract creation skills. '
Hogan Lovells International LLP is noted for its focus on novel therapies, providing advice on regulatory, product liability and intellectual property matters, while the team is also one of the most active transactional practices in the market, most notably in cross-border constellations. The firm's broad geographical presence also enables the team to seamlessly handle cross-border regulatory mandates, such as those pertaining to the market launch of digital health services as well as associated therapies and patient support programmes. In the digital health space, clients benefit from the cross-practice cooperation with colleagues from, among others, the IT, data protection and public law teams. Handling compliance matters as well as issues pertaining to pharmaceutical advertising constitute other key elements of the practice jointly led by Jörg Schickert (pharmaceutical and medical device law), Tanja Eisenblätter (litigation, pharmaceutical advertising law), Andreas von Falck (patent law), Lutz Angerer (corporate) and Ina Brock (product liability). Arne Thiermann, who advises on licensing and development transactions for medicinal products and medical devices as well as on supply, manufacturing and distribution agreements, is another key figure.
' Very great engagement in contract negotiations. '
' Jörg Schickert: Broad and deep specialist knowledge, very extensive knowledge of the industry. '
' The team is very professional, thorough, patient and calm. You are very knowledgeable about the law, but you also have colleagues on your team who are very knowledgeable about biotechnology and chemistry. They are also proactive and very pleasant to work with. '
'' Expertise in an international context. Experience with complex regulatory processes and the ability to bring together experts from different directions. '
' Ina Brock: Professionally, familiar with international compensation systems, the team competently steers towards goals. '
' Arne Thiermann: Reliable, high level of expertise in the regulatory environment, high level of responsiveness. '
' We work with Arne Thiermann because of the excellent work, the pragmatic approach, the high level of specialist knowledge and the trust that has grown over many years .'
' Arne Thiermann has a very good feeling for what is important in business and what is not. At the beginning of a larger contract, priorities and focal points are discussed and determined on which to optimize. Result: you get the essential points, the unimportant ones get the other side and the costs are reasonable. THAT is value-based legal consulting! '
' I can only recommend Arne Thiermann absolutely! '
Amgen (Europe) GmbH
Bluebird Bio Inc.
Compass Pathways Ltd
Daiichi Sankyo Europe GmbH
Merck & Co. Inc.
Vifor (International) AG
- MorphoSys: Advising on the largest pharmaceutical license transaction of a German biotech company with a global cooperation and license agreement for the further development and marketing of the key product tafasitamab for the treatment of blood cancer.
- Daiichi Sankyo Europe GmbH: Representation in various competition law disputes regarding anticoagulants; Competition law proceedings against competitors due to inadmissible advertising statements about non-VKA oral anticoagulants (so-called NOACs); In addition, representation in competition law proceedings against generic manufacturers in the field of antihypertensive agents.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG / Genentech: Advice on the enforcement of the client's patent rights for the protection of the blockbuster antibody product Herceptin® throughout Europe; Coordination of patent infringement and nullity proceedings against competitors in the field of biosimilar products on all major European markets. In addition, representation in patent infringement proceedings in connection with the Celltrion / Mundipharma biosimilar product Herzuma® in Germany.
Led by Munich-based IP expert Boris Kreye, Bird & Bird LLP's team offers sector-specific expertise in antitrust and public procurement law, industry experts in patent law, specialists for IT and data protection issues relevant for healthcare and life sciences companies, experienced soft IP lawyers, most notably in pharmaceutical advertising law, and an active transactional practice. Due to the firm's international set-up, the team's work frequently involves cross-border elements. Together with Kreye, Munich-based public procurement lawyer Alexander Csaki is part of the core team.
Other key lawyers:
Auric Hörsysteme GmbH
B. Braun Melsungen
Fisher Paykel Healthcare
Precision for Medicine
Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd.
Teva GmbH / ratiopharm GmbH
Universitätklinikum Gießen und Marburg
- auric Hörsysteme GmbH & Co. KG: Representation in cartel damages proceedings including complex judicial disputes for inspection of files.
- Important IT service provider in the statutory health insurance sector: Contract controlling of an EVB-IT system contract for the procurement of an electronic patient record including contract and procurement law advice on change requests.
- Statutory health insurance: Successful representation in a review and complaint procedure regarding the conclusion of negotiation and membership contracts to supply the insured with aids (incontinence products).
CMS' strength lies in dealing with pharmaceutical adverting law work. In medicinal products and medical devices law, the team focuses its regulatory advice on market access issues and was able to expand its services to include advice on the approval of medical cannabis products in Germany. Medical care centres are at the core of its transactional work, both in advising investors and clinics, and predominately concerns acquisitions, joint ventures and share purchases. Handling product liability matters constitutes another key area of expertise and includes the representation in contentious proceedings, patent law issues and digital health work; in the last-mentioned segment, clients benefit from the close cooperation with the firm's data protection experts. Jens Wagner in Hamburg heads the international life sciences group and has many years of industry experience in pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices and food supplements.
With nine partners, D+B Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB is one of the largest firms in the market specialising in the health sector. The team is divided into three specialist areas: pharmaceutical and pharmacy law co-led by Ulrich Grau and Constanze Püschel; physician contract law jointly led by Martin Stellpflug and Thomas Willaschek; and hospital law co-led by Thomas Bohle and Christian Reuther. Maximilian Warntjen (criminal law, professional and disciplinary proceedings) as well as Jan Moeck (physician contract law, psychotherapist legislation, statutory health insurance and regulation of healthcare professionals) and Christian Pinnow (physician contract law, digital health, psychotherapist legislation; medical care centres), who made partners in July 2019 and January 2020 respectively, complete the partner roster. A special focus of its non-contentious work lies on the law of statutory health insurance, including data protection, advertising and criminal aspects. Handling digital health work has become another cornerstone of the practice and includes, among other matters, regulatory requirements for health apps. The transactional practice provides assistance with clinic acquisitions and sales alongside pharmacy transactions, the establishment of medical care centres and transactions associated with insolvency proceedings. The majority of the team is based in Berlin, but it also has a presence in Düsseldorf and Brussels, which emphasises the practice's national and international reach. Associated partner Till Sebastian Wipperfürth moved to Mazars Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH in June 2019. Judith Wallat (pharmacy law, data protection, public procurement, statutory health insurance) was appointed associated partner in January 2020.
‘ The law firm not only has excellent knowledge of the current legal situation, but also has extensive insights into upcoming legislative projects. This is very helpful when planning medium and long-term projects. ‘
” Lawyers with extensive industry knowledge. Close to health policy developments. ‘
‘ The breadth of expertise in medical law and the access to decision-makers in politics and associations in Berlin are unique. Without trumpeting, the work is factually oriented, with a view to the solution, not an extension of the legal questions. ‘
‘ D + B is certainly one of the strongest boutiques in the field of health regulation (health service providers and pharmaceuticals). ‘
” Excellent expertise on legal issues in the healthcare sector. Excellent networking with decision-makers. Excellent success rate. ‘
‘ A special feature of this law firm is the profound expertise in all questions of the health system, especially in the area of pharmaceutical law and the law of health insurance companies, hospitals, doctors and pharmacies. In addition, there is excellent knowledge in the area of social legislation . ‘
” Competence in the necessary specialist area. Fast internal coordination. ‘
‘Clear focus on clients. Fast and extremely competent support. Pleasant handling. ‘
‘ Thomas Willaschek is a highly qualified medical lawyer who quickly and successfully analyzes complex issues and provides comprehensive, well-founded and pragmatic legal advice. ‘
‘ Thomas Willaschek: Competent, determined, binding, result-oriented. ‘
‘ Thomas Bohle: High level of expertise. Clear in communication. So far, 100% success rate in the cases that he represents for us. ‘
‘ Through good networking in politics, the partners are always well informed about changes that are planned in the legislation and can anticipate current developments well. ‘
‘ One of the unique selling points is certainly the great experience of the partners who have been with the firm for a long time. You have an exceptionally large overview of the interrelationships in the healthcare system, both legally and politically, and therefore advise in a very practical and goal-oriented and result-oriented manner. ‘
‘ Ulrich Grau: Very quick comprehension, excellent analytical mind, very experienced and confident in assessing the situation, drives decisions forward, thinks in terms of results. ‘
‘ Ulrich Grau: Precise, order-related work. Outstanding advice. Excellent expertise in evaluating new laws and regulations. Perfect relationship management with various stakeholders in the healthcare sector. ‘
‘ Ulrich Grau and Constanze Püschel complement each other perfectly in the team, as a client you feel absolutely safe with you .’
‘ Constanze Püschel: Technically outstanding lawyer, incredibly precise, absolutely perfect in her pleadings, fast, reliable, goal-oriented. ‘
‘ Martin Stellpflug is recognized in health services law, Ulrich Grau is very recognized in pharmaceutical law. His reviews are well thought out, concise and not too academic. ‘
‘ Martin Stellpflug is a careful and experienced colleague. Thomas Bohle is extremely well-versed in hospital law, pointed conversational skills. ‘
Krankenhausgesellschaft Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (KGMV)
- Wolfsburg Eye Center: Advice on sales to the Artemis clinics.
- Data4Life (HPI spin-off): Advice on the development of an app to improve the procedures for corona testing for the Charité and on the use of other health providers, comprehensive advice on medical and health law issues including health data protection.
- LICHTENAU eV Orthopedic Clinic and Rehabilitation Center of the Diakonie: Advice on the purchase of the orthopedic-surgical practice clinic Kassel, a leading surgical center in the region; Advice on restructuring in MVZ.
Dierks+Company offers a combination of profound healthcare and life sciences expertise and experience in providing strategic advice on the development and introduction of new products and business models that is unique on the German market. The Berlin team's integrative approach attracts drug and medical device manufacturers as well as diagnostics manufacturers and digital health companies, which, not only benefit from its regulatory expertise, including in AMNOG benefit assessments and clinic trials, but also from its knowledge in telemedicine, including IT, and reimbursement law. In cooperation with D+C Consulting, the team also provides business consulting services. Founder and team head Christian Dierks regularly handles legal opinions and legislative proposals. The office is located in the HELIX HUB in the centre of Berlin, which, in addition to office space, also houses a co-working space to provide a meeting and cooperation space for clients, most notably start-ups, but also other companies. The team's sphere of action extends far beyond Berlin and Germany. For example, the team participated in the establishment of BioLawEurope, a network of law firms specialising in healthcare and life sciences in Europe. Pharmaceutical lawyer Karsten Engelke, a specialist in reimbursement and market access issues, made partner in September 2019. Peter Schüller moved to Biotronik in August 2020. Sebastian Retter joined Mazars Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH in October 2020.
Other key lawyers:
' Dierks + Company is an excellent contact for all market access topics. The company has outstanding expertise in this area. The advice is always excellent and, above all, practically relevant and practice-oriented. '
' The team is very close to the topics of the company and is technically well versed. '
' Great team, leading in the field of medical device law in Germany. '
' High level of industry expertise; personalized approach; Legal and strategy advice. '
' Christian Dierks and his team work quickly and practically. The exchange is always results-oriented without losing sight of the legal implications of the questions. '
' Christian Dierks' experience in the area of the AMNOG procedure is unique and impressive. The law firm is characterized by very strong advisors and can also advise beyond the legal area. '
' Christian Dierks is a legend in the AMNOG field. Karsten Engelke is very strong in the legal field and in price strategies and negotiations. '
' Christian Dierks is an outstanding expert in the field of medical law and data protection in the healthcare sector. He does this with a high level of professionalism, in-depth knowledge and proactive commitment. '
' Karsten Engelke is an extremely competent lawyer. He has a very high level of technical knowledge and experience. He has the special ability to find creative solutions. He is clear in communication and a very valued contact person for all market access questions. '
' Karsten Engelke can explain complex content very clearly, and he is always precise in his statements. Values like 'Passion for Excellence' and 'Sense of Urgency' make him stand out . '
' Christian Dierks is an icon in medical device law and extremely competent. '
ADA Health AG
Agios International GmbH
Alexion Pharma GmbH
Alnylam Switzerland GmbH
B. Braun Melsungen AG
Becton Dickinson GmbH
Bencard Allergie GmbH
BIOMES NGS GmbH
Bundesministerium für Gesundheit
Deutsche Krebsgesellschaft e.V.
DiagnostikNet | BB – NETZWERK DIAGNOSTIK BERLIN-BRANDENBURG e.V.
Dialogue Technologies Inc.:
European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)
Fraunhofer-Institut für Offene Kommunikationssysteme FOKUS
Freie Universität Berlin
Healthcare IT Solutions GmbH
HiDoc Technologies GmbH
HPI (Hasso-Plattner-Institut für Digital Engineering gGmbH)
Implandata Ophthalmic Products GmbH
Johner Institut GmbH
Labor Berlin Charité Vivantes GmbH
Lohmann & Rauscher International GmbH & Co. KG
Medgate International AG
Medloop Technologies GmbH
- Alexion Pharma GmbH: Advice on all pharmaceutical law issues, in particular on early benefit assessment and subsequent price negotiations with the umbrella association of statutory health insurance for the three most important products; including support in the preparation of the dossier, the strategic preparation of price negotiations and the formulation of the contract on the reimbursement amount.
- Federal Ministry of Health: Preparation of several reports on the expansion of the benefit law in statutory health insurance and data processing in an international context, on the basis of which the law on digital health applications (diGA) and the new regulation of the lead supervisory authority for transnational research projects were drawn up.
- Flatiron: Advice on the creation of a data protection concept and a data protection impact assessment with which patient-related health data from the hospitals are deeply curated and transferred to a database, which universities, institutions and companies can use to conduct scientific research.
Gleiss Lutz is best known for its extensive work in statutory health insurance law, most notably in procurement proceedings, but the team of Reimar Buchner and Martin Viciano Gofferje is also a popular partner for transactions; advising on clinic sales in the context of insolvency proceedings is a key element of this work. The practice's largest growth areas are in the medtech and pharma sectors, where key elements include telemedicine, digital care services and data protection matters as well as research and development cooperations, while the litigation practice has been increasingly active in mass procedures, handling VAT reclaims for substitute insurance funds and AOK sector mandates in particular. The team has also seen an uptick in compliance sector work. In January 2020, the IP practice was consolidated with the counsel appointment of Benedikt Burger (patent law, competition law and trade mark law).
' Very business oriented. '
'' Broad expertise also in peripheral areas, good coordination among each other. '
' The team in the healthcare sector is characterized by the highest level of expertise and fast response times .'
'' Good networking among team members despite different locations. '
'In addition to his legal expertise, Marco König is characterized by extensive market and industry knowledge. '
' Marco König deserves special mention. '
Hengeler Mueller scores points with an experienced transactional team, which is a regular fixture on the largest transactions in the German market. Clients benefit from the team's experience in cross-border transactions and its interdisciplinary approach, which gives the M&A and corporate teams access to public law expertise. The counsel appointment of Susanne Koch in January 2020 reflects the growing importance of the segments medical devices and data protection law. Advising established companies, but also start-ups, on market access issues plays a key role in this space. In compliance, the team is particularly experienced in the medical devices arena. Key contacts include Dirk Uwer in Düsseldorf, who specialises in public commercial law, and administrative and regulatory expert Wolfgang Spoerr in Berlin.
Latham & Watkins LLP stands out for its versatile transaction practice. Practice co-heads Henning Schneider and Christoph Engeler regularly assist large healthcare companies, banks, private equity firms and public sector clients with strategically important and complex transactions, often involving the hospital sector, but also the nursing home sector. In the transactional space, clients benefit from the firm's cross-practice capabilities; regular instructions include regulatory and compliance matters, such as in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals, financing matters as well as employment, tax, antitrust and increasingly data protection law issues. Handling cross-border mandates constitutes another key strength of the team; its close relationship with colleagues in the US is a particular asset in this space.
Other key lawyers:
Charité /Stadt Berlin
Cheplapharm Arzneimittel GmbH
DPE Deutsche Private Equity
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
IK Investment Partnes
Malteser Orden Deutschland
Rhön Klinikum AG
SHL Telemedizin GmbH
- Cheplapharm Arzneimittel GmbH: Advising on the acquisition and license of the commercial rights to Seroquel and Seroquel XR in the USA and Canada as well as in Europe and Russia from AstraZeneca; Advising on the acquisition of a pharmaceutical portfolio from Sanofi SA, Paris in a complex carve-out process in various European jurisdictions and in North America in the context of a strictly regulated market (pharmaceuticals).
- Rhön Klinikum AG: Advice on the public voluntary € 1.2 billion takeover offer by Asklepios clinics.
- SHL Telemedicine GmbH: Since 2005 ongoing advice with regard to company law and other topics such as integrated care contracts and model projects with health insurance companies, procurement law and labor law as well as with regard to the digital supply law and the liberalization of telemedicine.
At McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP, the signs continued to point to growth with the arrival of counsel Deniz Tschammler in November 2019, formerly senior associate at Hengeler Mueller and specialised in pharma and medical device law. The growth of its team over the past three years has made the firm one of the best contacts in Germany for both cooperation and licensing issues, including matters pertaining to transactions, as well as for regulatory mandates. Pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies alongside medical device manufacturers frequently rely on the expertise of practice head Stephan Rau and his team. The robust German and European practice, benefiting from links to the teams in London and Paris, is complemented by a solid transactional practice.
‘ All contact persons can be reached quickly and easily and without exception have a high level of expertise. ‘
‘ The entire Deniz Tschammler team has so far provided us with excellent and holistic support. ‘
‘ Deniz Tschammler is an excellent lawyer who has excellent industry knowledge in the health and medical device sectors. He has always found good and pragmatic solutions to complex problems. In my professional career I have worked with various lawyers in the health sector, but I can only say that Mr Tschammler sets himself apart from his colleagues in a very positive way. This quality is very difficult to find on the market. ‘
Apax Capital Partners LLP
AUCTUS Capital Partners AG
Dialyse Service GmbH
EQT / Curaeos
GlaxoSmithKline GmbH & Co. KG
Healthcare at Home
HOOKIPA Pharma Inc.
Impulse Dynamics Germany GmbH
Labor Berlin — Charité Vivantes Services GmbH und Labor Berlin-Charité Vivantes GmbH
Lungpacer Medical, Inc.
Miltenyi Biomedicine GmbH
ViiV Healthcare GmbH
- Apax Capital Partners LLP: Many years of advice and transaction support in transactions both in the healthcare sector (especially laboratories) and in the life sciences sector.
- Auctus Capital Partners and the portfolio company PharmaLex: Many years of advice on transactions in the healthcare sector in Europe and the USA (acquisition of various companies that provide clinical and commercial services for pharmaceutical companies, particularly in the field of pharmacovigilance).
- Zahneins GmbH: Comprehensive advice on setting up a Germany-wide network of dental practices through acquisitions and the establishment and approval of medical care centers (MVZ).
Düsseldorf-based boutique NOVACOS Rechtsanwälte is rated for its broad healthcare sector expertise. Handling pharmaceutical and medical device law constitutes the cornerstone of the practice, complemented by in-depth knowledge of food supplement, food, cosmetics and chemical law. The research & development area is a particular area of growth, with the team increasingly handling clinical trials, as is the team's transactional wing, which advises on the regulatory industry specifics for M&A deals, which increasingly involve private equity funds. The practice is also increasingly active in digital health, which is not least thanks to the team's data protection expertise. The five partners Maria Heil, Christian Stallberg, Marc Oeben, Alexander Natz and Christian Hübner have given the firm a clear international focus and handle cross-border mandates with the support of best-friends law firms.
' Very effective, practical and industry-specific. Transactional experience and resilient. '
' Our first choice for pharmaceutical law. '
' The firm's international network allows us to work in countries with different laws and regulations. '
' Excellent specialists in the life sciences sector with extensive experience in compliance, competition law and regulatory issues. Very pragmatic, client-oriented and competent. '
' Novacos has an excellent position in terms of pharmaceutical law. The employees live the firm and are extremely involved. Even if there are of course big waves in the processing effort, it is credible that a very successful path between the law firm and private life is found here. The team of lawyers exchanges ideas and thinks outside the box. '
' Flexible, solution-oriented, competent. '
' A very committed, personable and well-positioned team that can cover almost all areas of daily legal work in the pharmaceutical sector. '
'' In- depth knowledge of the regulatory framework, especially in the context of transactions. '
'' Excellent knowledge of the healthcare sector – including through in-house experience. '
'' Flexible, practical and close to the market, able to explain things clearly to non-lawyers, interested in the matter, political instinct. '
' Very high legal level paired with creativity, industry knowledge and pragmatism. '
' Solid boutique that we use regularly. Responsive. '
' Maria Heil is characterized by special industry expertise, works very quickly and reliably and always provides her services within the scope of the cost estimate. Excellent focus. '
' Maria Heil is a highly competent and experienced consultant in a wide variety of regulatory, compliance, reimbursement and data protection issues. She advises pragmatically, target-oriented and with excellent industry knowledge. '
' Maria Heil is great! '
' Marc Oeben: The go-to lawyer for pharmaceutical law. '
' Marc Oeben: Precise, concise, pragmatic and fast. '
' Marc Oeben has enormous expertise in the area of regulatory issues relating to MDR and other medical law. For us, he is also a very respected advisor in the area of (healthcare) compliance. '
' Maria Heil and Christian Stallberg act quickly and often unconventionally, both bring their expertise with them from the classic large law firm, deliver a clearly modern type of advice in their own law firm, without classic expert reports or memos, and gladly also' quickly 'by phone or mail. The good industry knowledge and the good network in Brussels are also always helpful. '
' Christian Stallberg is the top consultant for me, especially in the area of market access and reimbursement. Very high legal level, well networked, creative ideas, great brainstorming. '
' Christian Stallberg has very in-depth knowledge of SGB V, AMNOG and general social law. Christian Hübner is pleasantly pragmatic with a lot of experience in the field of competition law disputes. '
' Christian Stallberg is a highly accomplished lawyer, committed, flexible and a valued colleague. '
' Christian Stallberg is an extremely competent consultant who supports our company in a wide range of legal issues. His briefs are precise and powerful, linguistically sophisticated and to the point. We also appreciate his qualities as a negotiator. '
' Christian Huebner is fast, reliable and has excellent knowledge of pharmaceutical law. '
AveXis Inc. / Novartis Pharma AG
Eckert & Ziegler Bebig GmbH
Eckert & Ziegler Eurotope GmbH
Eckert & Ziegler Radiopharma GmbH
Pharming Group N.V.
Takeda Pharma Vertrieb GmbH & Co. KG
- Federal Association for Medical Technology (BVMed): Ongoing advice, representation and assessment of G-BA regulations in the field of wound care.
- Health: Advice on healthcare issues in connection with the acquisition of a group of fertility centers by a Swedish investor.
- Orchard Therapeutics: Complete advice on market access for an ATMP (gene therapeutic) with a focus on NUB and AMNOG.
Sträter Rechtsanwälte enjoys an excellent reputation for its in-depth and broad-based regulatory practice. The core areas remain pharmaceutical and medical device law but the firm is also well versed in health insurance law, contract drafting, such as in the context of distribution agreements, and in the supervision of clinical trials. Founder of the firm Burkhard Sträter and pharmaceutical lawyer Markus Ambrosius are particularly recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Thanks to the team's cooperation with the firm's international offices, most notably the Dubai and the London office, on one hand and the strengthening of its alliance with the US West Coast firm Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati set up in 2019 on the other, Taylor Wessing succeeded in further integrating its German team co-led by Manja Epping (life sciences) and Michael Stein (healthcare) into cross-border instructions. The team's transactional and regulatory expertise continues to attract many transactional instructions with a focus on medical care centres and hospitals as well as the care, biotechnology and inpatient sectors. In the hospital sector, the group has been increasingly active in regulatory matters, advising, among other matters, on billing issues, for which it offers a dedicated turnaround management solution in cooperation with partner firms, while also handling financing and restructuring work. The firm also provides assistance with patent law, product liability and medicinal product advertising law. Financing expert Ulf Gosejacob made equity partner in May 2020, while Vanessa Christin Vollmar, specialised in regulatory advice made salary partner in July 2019, and M&A and corporate expert Christopher Peine in December 2019.
Other key lawyers:
' Now an even broader team with quick response times and extremely well-founded and precise statements. Very good coverage of all possible legal aspects. Very solution-oriented. '
' Above all, Manja Epping impresses with her analytical sharpness and an extremely broad focus in the life sciences. Comprehensive and precise processing of the topics even under time pressure. Always approachable and client-oriented. '
- Centogene: Advising on the IPO on the New York technology exchange Nasdaq.
- Medicxi: Advising the client including portfolio companies in connection with investments and cooperation agreements in the field of biotechnology.
- Oberberg: Comprehensive advice on the acquisition of Panorama-Kliniken in Bavaria.
Covington & Burling LLP
Since the opening of the Frankfurt office led by Adem Koyuncu in 2018, Covington & Burling LLP has acquired a firm position among German healthcare and life sciences specialists. Previously predominately based in Brussels, Koyuncu has successfully moved the highly international practice, which focuses on pharmaceutical and medical device law, to Frankfurt and managed to expand it further as evidenced by several newly acquired high-profile clients. Two years after opening the office, the practice's transactional work, its antitrust law advice, litigation practice and IP wing have been complementing its regulatory work so well that the team is planning another expansion. The team has also been able to make its mark in the area of digital health. As a double-qualified doctor and lawyer, Koyuncu not only heads the German practice but also the global food, drug & devices practice.
' Expertise and reliability. Easy integration of other colleagues should additional expertise be required – everything is under 'one roof' .
' Adem Koyuncu is a great expert on legal issues, but also in the pharmaceutical industry. He is characterized by reliability, competence and sovereignty. As a lawyer, he represented us in very difficult discussions, on the one hand consistently pursuing his point of view, on the other hand he was ready to compromise when it came to finding a final, joint solution. In addition, there is his extremely sympathetic and friendly, but also decisive way, if necessary, to deal with us as clients. '
MedTech Europe (Verband)
Merck & Co.
- BioNTech: Advising on the IPO (NASDAQ) and takeover of Neon Therapeutics.
- AstraZeneca: Advice on the merger control aspects of the sale of your EU rights to Seroquel in Europe and Russia to the German pharmaceutical company Cheplapharm Arzneimittel GmbH.
- EFPIA - European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations: Ongoing advice on various pharmaceutical and data protection issues as well as legal and strategic issues relating to GDPR implementation.
Dentons handles transactional work in the hospital sector, a key area of expertise for Christof Kautzsch, as well as for start-ups and growth companies; this area is covered by Thomas Strassner and Peter Homberg. Together with Ilka Mehdorn, a specialist in medical law, Homberg is also a key figure in the regulatory practice, which includes medical and data protection matters as well as market access issues pertaining to medical cannabis. The compliance team, with Mehdorn and Kautzsch as the key figures, was expanded with the arrival of white-collar crime and compliance expert Ann-Kristin Cahnbley from Clifford Chance in December 2019. The team's offering also includes sector-specific digital health work and antitrust law mandates alongside public procurement and employment law issues. As part of one of the largest firms in the world, the team's work is often cross-border in nature. The team itself also has an international character, as can be seen in Homberg's dual role as head of the German life sciences and the European cannabis practice groups.
D.S.C. Dienstleistungs-Service Center GmbH
Fresenius Medical Care AG & Co. KGaA
HÄVG Hausärztliche Vertragsgemeinschaft Aktiengesellschaft, AOK Baden-Württemberg u.a.
KKR und LGC
KMG Kliniken Brandenburg-Thüringen gGmbH
Life Sciences Partners (LSP)
Limbach Gruppe SE
medical airport service GmbH
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
- Pluristem: Advice on loan financing from the European Investment Bank (EIB) with a volume of € 50 million.
- HiDoc Technologies: Comprehensive regulatory advice in the field of digital health, medical device law and compliance as part of his Series A financing round.
- International pharmaceutical company: Advice on various sales contracts and model contracts of all kinds and on compliance issues as well as comprehensive in antitrust law in connection with a pharmaceutical distribution contract that is concluded with hospital affiliations.
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
During the research period 2019/2020, Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner was particularly successful in demonstrating its advisory capabilities at the interface with M&A and regulatory matters. In this space, pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers in particular call upon the team of Barbara Mayer and Hendrik Thies. Advising on pharmacy and medicinal product advertising law remains a key strength with Morton Douglas as the key contact. His expert position in this field is underlined not least by his role as the key contact for the Federal Association of German Pharmacy Cooperatives for various issues, including data protection and pharmacy mail order. Douglas is also a key contact for compliance matters. Employment law matters are handled by Sabine Schröter in the Frankfurt office with a focus on the hospital sector. Clients include not only small and medium-sized German companies but also large German and international companies, including from the biotechnology sector, whose need for cross-border advice is met by the life science practice group co-founded in 2017.
' Diverse areas of expertise; one contact person, that's a big plus and makes FGvW unique. Very good and comprehensive advice, goal-oriented, timely and timely working method. Very pleasant manners. '
' Committed, flexible, well-founded, pragmatic. '
' Hendrik Thies: Very good advice, a very trusting relationship, absolute reliability, very extensive specialist knowledge. '
' Morton Douglas: Very good support and advice on all aspects of trademark law, very professional monitoring of trademarks, very pleasant cooperation. '
' The law firm works closely together across departments, from which my projects benefit immensely and can be implemented extremely effectively. '
' Sabine Schröter: Professional implementation of labor law projects in the healthcare market (especially hospitals – from maximum care providers to basic and standard care providers). She always finds a constructive solution with the employee representatives or works councils and their legal representatives through her emphatic and mediating manner, which is appreciated by all negotiating participants. '
Blazejewski MEDI-TECH GmbH
Dt. Versandapotheke Fliegende Pillen
EMERAM CAPITAL PARTNERS / Meona Group
Essilor International S.A.
Getinge Deutschland GmbH
Paracelsus Kliniken Deutschland GmbH & Co. KGaA
Pulsion Medical Systems S E
Schölly fiberoptic GmbH
Tillotts Pharma AG
- Leading medical device manufacturer: Ongoing advice on sales law.
- CorTec GmbH: Advice on the financing round with Santo (partner of the Strüngmann Group).
- North Rhine Chamber of Pharmacists: Ongoing advice on numerous fundamental proceedings before German and European courts.
In 2019, King & Spalding LLP strengthened its European presence with the arrival of Geneviève Michaux at the Brussels office, which also benefits the Frankfurt team around practice head Ulf Grundmann in cross-border mandates. This also means that, in addition to benefiting from close ties to the teams in Washington D.C. and San Francisco, clients now have another contact in the EU. The strengths of Grundmann's practice lie, on one hand, in advising on matters at the interface of food and pharmaceutical law and, on the other hand, in advising on the regulatory framework for medicinal products and medical devices in Germany. Both, the Health Claims Regulation as well as the EU Falsified Medicines Directive created a particular need for advice.
Other key lawyers:
' Ulf Grundmann leads his team efficiently and offers creative solutions. Very good knowledge of the life sciences and up to date on any innovations. Direct, agile, assertive and client-oriented . '
Novartis Pharma AG
Pfizer Consumer Healthcare
Famous Brands GmbH
Teva GmbH Deutschland GmbH
Teva Pharmaceuticals B.V.
Dr. Willmar Schwabe GmbH & Co.KG
Deutsche Homöopathie-Union DHU-Arzneimittel GmbH & Co. KG (DHU)
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
VSM Geneesmiddelen B.V.
Chemische Fabrik Kreussler Co. GmbH
SGF International e.V.
Truw Arzneimittel GmbH
- Novartis Pharma AG: Representation in EU-wide proceedings against parallel importers and advice in connection with the infringement of trademark rights, in particular against the background of the change in pharmaceutical law through the Falsified Medicines Directive.
- Pfizer Consumer Healthcare: Advice on pharmaceutical, medical device, food and competition law as well as on the development of new food supplements for the EU.
- ratiopharm GmbH: Representation in proceedings against the parallel import of medicines from ratiopharm to Germany, particularly against the background of the change in drug law due to the Falsified Medicines Directive.
Meisterernst Rechtsanwälte stands out in the market for its in-depth expertise at the interface of food and pharmaceutical law. Accordingly, the regulatory practice focuses on delimitation issues and market access regulations, including cosmetics and medical devices. The compliance expertise of practice head Christian Tillmanns and counsel Sylvia Braun covers competition, criminal and professional law requirements. The increasing digitisation of the healthcare sector is reflected in, among other matters, mandates on artificial intelligence and 3D printing.
Other key lawyers:
' Competent, very friendly team, which covers every subject area and provides prompt, factually well-founded and practice-oriented help. '
'' Excellent expertise in life sciences, competition law and compliance issues. Very fast processing, excellent quality of legal advice, very friendly and client-oriented handling. '
' There's a good reason we've worked with this law firm for many years: 100% professionalism. The law firm has a strong structure of professionals and professionalism in relation to client needs. '
' In addition to the legal and procedural competence and experience of the team led by Christian Tillmanns, the breadth of advisory practice (contractual advice, regulatory and social law matters, etc.) should also be emphasized. '
' The client focus and the pragmatism with high professional quality are to be praised in particular. The advice is characterized in particular by the great experience, high level of professionalism, great pragmatism and focus. Particularly noteworthy is the tactical skill and the great competence and experience in competitive processes. '
' Christian Tillmanns is a very experienced lawyer with extensive local and international expertise who understands the industry and its clients. He was always quick to react, pleasant to deal with, straightforward and moderate. He doesn't always tell me what I want to hear, but that's one of the reasons I appreciate our collaboration. '
' We are just as convinced of Christian Tillmanns' legal competence as of his many years of experience, which makes him a valued contact person in all questions of competition and pharmaceutical law. His advice is clear in terms of communication and, above all, practice-oriented. In the collaboration, this competence is flanked by his excellent eloquence. He is a trustworthy advisor and we appreciate his clarity and openness in communication. '
' Christian Tillmanns is an excellent expert on life sciences issues and an excellent speaker and trainer. '
' Sylvia Braun is an excellent partner for our company. She understands our business and can draw on her wealth of experience and interest in the industry in order to find business-oriented, sensible solutions. Like Mr. Tillmanns, Ms. Braun is not overly cautious and demonstrates a clear understanding of the economic implications of finding a solution. '
' Sylvia Braun is a brilliant lawyer with a deep legal knowledge and medical expertise, which among other things makes her a successful competition lawyer. '
' Sylvia Braun has a high level of competence and experience. Above all, she finds the right address to make the subject understandable to laypeople and to clarify the relevance. '
Hornhautbank München Gemeinnützige GmbH
- Hornhautbank Munich non-profit GmbH: Advice and representation on regulatory issues vis-à-vis the competent supervisory authority.
Möhrle Happ Luther focuses on providing AMNOG and compliance advice but the team also receives an increasing number of instructions involving data protection and IT law. Advising on healthcare sector contracts, including distribution agreements and research contracts, constitutes another core strength. Henning Anders, who has in-house experience from a previous role at an international pharmaceutical group, specialist in drug adverting and competition law Julia Luther and Joachim Jung, who made associated partner in January 2020 and also handles drug advertising and competition law work, form the core of the practice. Martin Luther retired in January 2020.
' You get very good, pragmatic and practical feedback very quickly at a fair price. '
' Henning Anders is very competent and provides us with outstanding support in all pharmaceutical law issues. '
Advanced Accelerator Applications Germany GmbH (‘AAA’)
- Advanced Accelerator Applications Germany GmbH (AAA): Comprehensive in-house support in the field of radioactive diagnostics and therapeutics.
- AstraZeneca GmbH: Advice on pharmaceutical, corporate and labor law, including advice on the development of advertising campaigns and representation in disputes with competitors.
- Amgen GmbH: Comprehensive advice on drug advertising, out of court and in disputes.
Oppenländer Rechtsanwälte advises on compliance issues and pharmaceutical law, including distribution agreements and parallel imports by third parties, as well as on medical products law and pharmacy law. Recently, the team has been particularly active in the last-mentioned segment, while the management trio consisting of Timo Kieser, Katharina Köbler and Christina Koppe-Zagouras also covers digital health sector mandates. Handling medicinal product advertising law mandates and providing support with the development of new business models are also part of its workload.
Arvato Distribution GmbH (Bertelsmann)
Bayer Vital GmbH
Deutsches Zahnärztliches Rechenzentrum und weitere Gesellschaften der Dr. Güldener-Gruppe
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare GmbH & Co. KG
WEPA Apothekenbedarf GmbH & Co. KG
Accord Healthcare GmbH
Dr. Falk Pharma GmbH
Klinikverbund Südwest GmbH
- German Dental Computing Center (DZR): Legal representation for bribery in the reimbursement of billing costs between the dental laboratory and the dentist (appeal body).
- WEPA Apothekenbedarf GmbH & Co. KG: Consultancy in the field of cosmetic products, medical products and food supplements, in particular also on regulatory issues; 2019 in particular representation and advice with regard to the complaints of the BfArM regarding medical devices and representation in food law issues in official disputes.
- Accord HealthCare Ltd. UK and other group companies: Advice on pharmaceutical law issues, including imports from other EU countries and third countries, as well as the position of sales companies as pharmaceutical companies.
Preu Bohlig & Partner
Preu Bohlig & Partner stands out for its high specialisation in third-party opposition proceedings pertaining to drug approval procedures. Practice head Peter von Czettritz is one of the key experts in Germany in this field. His practice has a focus on pharmaceutical and medical device law and also covers matters at the intersection with food, competition and product liability law as well as compliance issues. Handling disputes pertaining to medicinal product advertising law and patent law is also part of its offering as is providing regulatory advice on orphan drugs and novel therapies.
' Competent, practice-oriented, fast and reliable. '
Besides advising hospitals on financing issues, cooperation agreements and doctors' contracts, Raue's advisory spectrum also includes physician contract law issues faced by medical care centres. Other key elements include pharmaceutical pricing law, pharmacy law and advising care providers. This includes non-contentious issues as well as administrative and court proceedings. Providing regulatory support for transactions in the healthcare sector alongside compliance advice are also part of the team's expertise. The group is led by Wolfgang Kuhla and includes Katharina Wodarz; both cover a broad spectrum of health sector work.
' Excellent industry knowledge, very good political understanding, top in the regulatory area, very good economic understanding. '
' Katharina Wodarz is characterized by an extremely high level of commitment and an excellent overview of extremely complex legal issues. '
' We benefit from the fact that all team members have the same, up-to-date status of the mandate and are familiar with current changes in the law that are relevant to us, as well as the developments in the market, and reliably implement the resulting legal steps. '
' Maren Bedau and Stephanie Wiesner are specialists in the medical field .'
' Maren Bedau: Competent, professionally experienced lawyer, extensive specialist and industry knowledge, expert in hospital law. '
' Stephanie Wiesner: Extremely knowledgeable lawyer, always up-to-date. Sympathetic and accomplished. '
' Jörg Adam: Comprehensive hospital law know-how, reliable and competent lawyer. '
Ehlers, Ehlers & Partner primarily handles AMNOG work as well as legislative procedures whereby the latter focus also comes into play when advising clients on health policy issues. The team assists clients as early as at the product development stage and increasingly in digital health matters, such as the development of digital medical products and digital health services. Providing regulatory support for transactions in the healthcare sector, including those in a restructuring setting, constitutes another key element. Thanks to a network of established cooperation firms and Christian Rybak's links to colleagues in the US, the team's share of international clients is increasing noticeably. Rybak and Alexander Ehlers, who handles the full spectrum of health sector work, jointly head the practice.
Bundesministerium für Gesundheit
Deutsche Beteiligungs AG
digid – Digital Diagnostics AG
- Federal Ministry of Health: Comprehensive advice in the context of the concerted care campaign on recruiting foreign nursing professionals.
- digits - Digital Diagnostics AG: Advice on applying for special approval for a corona rapid test at the Federal Institute for Drugs and Medical Devices; In addition, with the help of the international network, advice on the corresponding application for emergency approval from the US FDA.
- ResMed Germany Inc.: Comprehensive advice in connection with the Covid-19 emergency legislation as well as the supply of aids in both regulatory and social law matters.
Eversheds Sutherland provides regulatory transaction support, most notably in the pharmaceutical and medical devices sectors, on one hand, and stand-alone regulatory matters in research and development as well as in compliance on the other. Licensing agreements and technology transfer mandates as well as medicinal product advertising law are also part of the team's expertise and the expertise of practice head Tobias Maier, who has been heading the international health and life sciences practice with London-based Elizabeth Graves since 2019. The team's cross-sectorial approach also attracts clients, who require assistance with supply chain contracts (cooperation with the commercial team) and digital health matters (cooperation with the cybersecurity and data protection team).
Other key lawyers:
Archer Daniels Midland
- INEOS: Advice on regulatory and technical requirements for biocides in Germany as well as labeling requirements.
- Otsuka: Advising on negotiations on the strategically important global collaboration with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Medical Research Institute, and as a further cooperation partner Evotec and the international pharmaceutical companies GlaxoSmithKline and Johnson & Johnson.
- EuroEyes: Advising on the first IPO of a German company in Hong Kong.
GSK Stockmann's healthcare sector expertise spans the areas of venture capital, transactions, public procurement and compliance as well as operational issues. In real estate law, the practice focuses on care properties and assisted living, but the team is also visibly gaining profile in transactions pertaining to medical care centres, clinics and medical centres. Markus Söhnchen, who specialises in corporate, M&A and private equity, jointly heads the practice with of counsel Maritheres Palichleb and Philip Huperz, who are both well versed in real estate law. Huperz made equity partner in January 2020, while Gregor Seikel moved to Oppenhoff at the end of 2020.
coparion GmbH & Co. KG
Integra Gruppe, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, Integra LifeSciences Corporation, USA
Lupin Atlantis Holdings SA
Pharma Dynamics (Proprietary) Ltd.
Vetter Pharma-Fertiung GmbH & Co. KG
Vivantes – Netzwerk für Gesundheit GmbH
- AviaRent Capital Management S.à rl: Advice on the acquisition of the projected senior citizens’ residential park Convivo Parks Alte Festwiese in Elze (Hanover area) as part of a forward funding deal.
- AviaRent Capital Management S.à rl: Advice on the nationwide acquisition of twelve nursing homes and objects for assisted living from Deutsche Wohnen.
- aescuvest: Advising on the structuring of the first pan-European crowd finance platform specializing in the healthcare market.
The team at GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB covers a broad spectrum of health law, including medical device law and pharmaceutical law, and has experience in transactions, public procurement, employment and antitrust law. The firm's broad range of expertise is brought to bear in cross-practice mandates in particular. The team is co-led by Marc Schüffner (public commercial law) in Berlin and John-Patrick Bischoff (corporate law) in Hamburg.
Other key lawyers:
” Easy accessibility and short reaction times of the contact persons, practical and solution-oriented advice. ‘
” Very high level of practical competence in specific issues relating to the supply of aids in Germany. ‘
‘ Katja Kuck: Understanding of the problems, intensive practical relevance and not only theoretical evaluation, but intensive focus on strategic options for action. ‘
‘ Katja Kuck: Good availability, short reaction times, practical and solution-oriented advice. ‘
‘ John-Patrick Bischoff is a straightforward analyst. ‘
Altano Gruppe GmbH
Corius Deutschland GmbH
Endoprothesenregister Deutschland GmbH
KMT Medical Inc
Landesamt für Arbeitsschutz, Verbraucherschutz und Gesundheit (LAVG) des Landes Brandenburg
Medical Eye-Care Gemeinschaftspraxis
SMH Schnelle medizinische Hilfe GmbH (Krankentransport)
TERTIANUM Seniorenresidenzen/DPF AG
Heidelberg Pharma AG (früher Wilex AG)
HEK Hanseatische Krankenkasse
KfH Kuratorium für Dialyse und Nierentransplantation e.V.
Klinikum zum heiligen Geist Fritzlar
Rentschler Biopharma SE
RetroBrain (Memore Box)
SCPI Pierval Santé (französischer Immobilienfonds)
Therapiezentrum Anita Brüche
- Altano Group GmbH: Advice on various acquisitions, including the acquisition of the Dr. Schneichel; the St. Georg Equine Clinic in Trier; the small animal practice Jaenich; the Dallgow Equine Clinic; the veterinary practice Dr. Jenter and the acquisition of the Sportshorse Medical Center.
- Endoprosthesis Register Germany GmbH: Advice on medical products, social and data protection law.
- Insulet corporation: Ongoing advice in connection with the going-direct plans of the client, including questions regarding the conclusion of / joining health insurance contracts, billing outsourcing and data protection.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH has a strong transactional practice, covering the hospital as well as the medical care centres. The team also demonstrates expertise in providing transactional support for pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers as well as in advising university hospitals. Handling matters in cooperation with the digital health and medical technology groups alongside the medical law team and the care real estate experts complements the team's advisory approach. Corporate and M&A specialists Oliver Kairies in Hannover, of counsel Cornelia Yzer in Berlin and Denis Ullrich in Leipzig co-head the practice group.
Other key lawyers:
” High level of expertise in the entire team in a homogeneous team structure. ‘
” A high level of expertise paired with a high degree of sovereignty. Very good industry network. ‘
‘ The team specializes in hospital M&A transactions. In addition to in-depth legal knowledge, knowledge of the market and the players is also very well developed. There is also a wide network. Specialists are also available in the law firm for complementary topics. The negotiation is friendly and stringent and very good results are achieved for the client. ‘
‘ Oliver Kairies is driving the mandate forward with a high level of personal commitment. He has extensive experience in hospital M&A transactions. Oliver Kairies is a very skilled and very successful negotiator and, in addition to the hard facts, also keeps an eye on the corporate culture implications. Working with him is very pleasant, both professionally and personally. ‘
‘ We felt very well understood and looked after by Luther. The result of the negotiations exceeded our expectations. ‘
‘ High competence paired with excellent service! ‘
‘ Difficult questions are dealt with quickly and flexibly. ‘
‘ The people are all at the highest level in terms of their performance and motivation. ‘
‘ Thomas Köhler: Very well versed in law, excellent information in the healthcare industry. ‘
Lavorel Medicare S. A.
Städtisches Klinikum Braunschweig gGmbH
IDT Biologika GmbH
AWO Bezirksverband Hannover e. V.
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Kliniken des Landkreises Lörrach
ZytoService Beta GmbH
Klinikum Friedrichshafen GmbH
Klinikum Niederlausitz GmbH
Klinikum Burgenlandkreis GmbH
- IDT Biologika GmbH: Advising on the sale of the Animal Health division to CEVA SANTE ANIMALE.
- Klinikum Burgenlandkreis GmbH: Advice in connection with the sale of the insolvent clinic in self-administration as part of a competitive investor process with the involvement of various stakeholders.
- city Cologne: Transaction advice in preparation for one of the largest hospital groups in North Rhine-Westphalia.
michels.pmks Rechtsanwälte's specialism lies in hospital and physician contract law. Its work includes drug dispensing matters, hospital planning law and advice on medical care centres. Administrative and medical lawyer Kerrin Schillhorn, medical lawyer Jens-Peter Jahn and employment lawyer Marcus Michels are the main contacts.
'' A team of excellent experts so that general legal issues within the law firm can be clarified at short notice. Immediate solution approaches for all questions, absolutely reliable. '
' Kerrin Schillhorn: Proven expert in matters of hospital planning law, medical law, absolutely reliable and loyal. '
' Marcus Michels: Outstanding labor lawyer, the man for difficult cases. '
' Jens-Peter Jahn: Expert in the field of health insurance, MVZ, medical law. '
St. Franziskus Stiftung Münster
Katholische Hospitalvereinigung Weser-Egge gGmbH
Vestische Caritas Kliniken GmbH Datteln
Marien Gesellschaft Siegen gGmbH
St. Vinzenz Krankenhaus GmbH Köln
MVZ des Universitätsklinikums Köln gGmbH
MVZ am St. Marien-Hospital Friesoythe gGmbH
MVZ Karl Leisner Goch in Kleve
- Catholic Hospital Association Weser-Egge gGmbH: Comprehensive advice and representation on hospital law, cooperation with resident and other service providers, application for geriatric rehabilitation, hospital planning, representation in claims for reimbursement of health insurances on complex flat rates according to BSG case law.
- Vestische Caritas Kliniken gGmbH: Defense against reclamation of sales tax for cytostatics; hospital planning legal support.
- MVZ St. Marien GmbH: Comprehensive advice on contract doctor law.
Noerr covers a broad field of health and life sciences sector work. With Fabian Badtke heading the practice, antitrust law mandates are of particular importance but the team also handles patent law and provides regulatory life sciences advice. The firm's transactional practice is also worthy of mention. The firm's digital business group, launched in 2018, enables the team to support clients in the field of digital health.
- Zimmer Biomet: Comprehensive ongoing advice to the client’s Europe-wide digital service business, including advice on model contracts and Europe-wide rollouts and advice on (planned) cooperation with technology partners for various projects.
- Zambon Group: Advising as local counsel on the takeover of a German biotech company from the Munich biotech company Breath Therapeutics.
- Company in the precision mechanical and optical industry: Preparation of a legal opinion for the cloud-based collaboration with neuropathologists and surgeons; Creation of contract documentation for clinical tests and market launch; Coordination of legal feasibility, especially in data protection law in other jurisdictions.
At the beginning of 2020, Oppenhoff gained another corporate partner in Gregor Seikel from GSK Stockmann, further strengthening its transactional practice, which is very active in the healthcare sector. The firm's full-service approach results in a broad spectrum of expertise, which benefits healthcare and life sciences clients alike, and not only includes regulatory advice but also assistance with product liability matters - a particular field of expertise for the highly regarded Peter Klappich -, IP (including combating product piracy) as well as with compliance and tax law. Recently, the team has also been increasingly active handling medical cannabis matters. IT and data protection expert Jürgen Hartung and corporate junior partner Johannes Janning jointly head the practice.
' The Oppenhoff lawyers understand our business. The teams are always available, reliable and friendly; Work results can be put into practice immediately. '
' Johannes Janning is an expert in medical cannabis and CBD. He is extraordinarily committed, negotiating with skill and thinking like an entrepreneur. '
Dr. August Wolff GmbH & Co. KG Arzneimittel
LR Health & Beauty Systems GmbH
Johnson & Johnson
Evonik Industries AG
- Aphria: Comprehensive advice on all legal issues.
- Dr. August Wolff GmbH & Co. KG pharmaceuticals: Dispute under pharmaceutical law with BfArM and subsequently with the EU Commission regarding the approval of Linoladiol N.
- CC Pharma: Comprehensive advice on all contractual matters, in particular on framework contracts, delivery agreements and regulatory issues.
Tsambikakis & Partner Rechtsanwälte
Tsambikakis & Partner Rechtsanwälte continues to occupy a leading position for criminal law issues in the healthcare sector. Founder of the firm Michael Tsambikakis and his team have a wealth of experience in advising and representing healthcare providers in compliance cases and manager liability matters as well as in procedures pertaining to medical malpractice and criminal tax law. With offices in Cologne, Berlin and Stuttgart, the practice has a clear focus on nationwide work.
- Leading medical college: Comprehensive advice to the Executive Board on compliance issues.
- Large German university hospital: Comprehensive advice to the legal department on complex questions of medical criminal law, especially with regard to corruption in the healthcare sector.
- Leading university hospital in East Germany: Comprehensive medical law and medical criminal law advice on a matter according to which a significant number of incorrect diagnoses by a clinic manager are suspected; in addition, individual defense of a doctor.
The team at von BOETTICHER Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB stands out in the market for its specialisation in acting for vaccine manufacturers and distributors. The team fields proven experts in pharmaceutical advertising law with a focus on contentious proceedings, and interim relief matters in particular, as well as in compliance, licensing, research, development and licensing contract law. Handling contracts for the conduct of clinical trials are a key part of its work. Munich-based Claudia Böhm and Oliver Stöckel and Berlin-based Anselm Brandi-Dohrn are the key contacts and cover IP, pharmaceutical and medical device law work.
Belano Medical AG
CellAct Pharma GmbH
Ever Neuro Pharma GmbH
Gilead Sciences GmbH
LEO Pharma GmbH
Madaus & Lauscher GmbH
Nekonal SARL (Lux)
Sedana Medical AB (publ)
- Gilead Sciences GmbH: Representation in extensive drug advertising disputes before regional and higher regional courts about drugs for HIV therapy.
- Sedana Medical AB (publ): Advice and representation in one of the largest clinical studies in the field of intensive care medicine; Advice on CRO contracts; Compliance advice; Advice on drug advertising law; Disputes regarding drug advertising law (in and out of court) with competitors; Advice on market access in Germany.
- Intendis GmbH: Comprehensive advice on AMG and regulatory topics.
WilmerHale's team combines its strengths in antitrust, data protection and distribution law with its industry knowledge of the healthcare sector to advise pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers on matters at these intersections. This also includes representation in contentious proceedings. Practice head Hans-Georg Kamann acts from both the Frankfurt and Brussels offices, which demonstrates the international orientation of the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Becton Dickinson GmbH
Bundesverband der pharmazeutischen Industrie (BPI e.V.)
Bundesinnung der Hörgeräteakustiker (biha)
IDEXX Europe B.V.
Institut Straumann AG
Karyopharm, Inc., Karyopharm Deutschland GmbH
- Leading German pharmaceutical company: Comprehensive advice on data protection and IT law.
- Various clients from the retail sector: Advice on regulatory requirements such as CE marking for FFP2 protective masks for corona protection in the context of large-volume procurements from manufacturers in China.
- Incyte Corporation: Advising on merger control law on the oncology cooperation with Morphosys AG, the largest license deal in the German biotechnology industry in terms of volume to date.