Baker McKenzie impresses with a multidisciplinary team, led by the renowned pharmaceutical and drug advertising law expert Thilo Räpple. Clients from the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors call upon the team’s expertise. The group is well versed in advising companies, drug manufacturers and medical technology companies on regulatory matters as well as compliance issues pertaining to physician, hospital, pharmacy and food law; this offer is complemented by relevant litigation experience. Recent instructions include matters in connection with telemedical projects in the pharmaceutical and healthcare technology sectors. Transactions and financing rounds constitute further mainstays of the advice offering, which is supported by the competition law expertise of Christian Burholt as well as Marc Gabriel ‘s experience in procurement law matters. Constanze Ulmer-Eilfort (life sciences, IP) joined Peters, Schönberger & Partner in December 2021.
Healthcare and life sciences in Germany
Other key lawyers:
‘Deep sector understanding in the life sciences.’
‘Berthold Hummel goes the extra mile for his clients. Tactically smart.’
‘The practice is exceptionally experienced and responsive. Coordination with other parties and other law firms is always efficient and free of friction.’
Allecra Therapeutics GmbH
- Representation of international pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, trading companies and a pharmaceutical industry association in connection with various major projects of the German Federal Government and the European Commission to deal with the Covid 19 pandemic.
- Advising CureVac on the collaboration with GSK to develop a next-generation mRNA vaccine against Covid-19.
- Advising Life Sciences Partners (LSP) as lead investor on the successful completion of a € 20 million Series A financing round.
Clifford Chance ‘s internationally-oriented practice is a popular address in the healthcare and life sciences sector and is experienced in advising IT and technology companies in connection with the digitisation of the healthcare sector, including data protection issues. The team was also active in matters pertaining to the Covid-19 pandemic and advised companies and public sector clients on attendance-related contracts, therapeutics and vaccines. Gunnar Sachs heads the Healthcare Africa division and assisted with initiatives in African countries such as the establishment of a Covid-19 research and development center. Among the client base are industry associations and companies, which are supported in matters pertaining to social law, healthcare policies and compliance, including compliance-related risk assessments. The two renowned Peter Dieners (advice on various business-critical corporate and general commercial law matters as well as compliance) and Ulrich Reese (manufacture, marketing, distribution and reimbursement of pharmaceuticals and medical devices as well as license and cooperation agreements ) head the team, both act from Düsseldorf.
Other key lawyers:
Gunnar Sachs; Claudia Nawroth; Carolin Kemmner; Caroline Giesen; Yannick Frost
‘Very professional, competent and friendly team. The cooperation was very pleasant. Our extremely complex project was understood very quickly and implemented excellently and quickly. The communication went smoothly. The fact that the team consisted of several lawyers was particularly positive.’
‘Dr. Claudia Nawroth is technically extremely competent, thinks fast and can quickly implement requests, negotiated excellently, shows great commitment, very pleasant as a person.’
‘High professional competence.’
‘Gunnar Sachs: Very reliable. Excellent professional. Always available.’
‘Very customer-oriented, which means a unique early evaluation of the core problem in order to provide the best possible service.’
‘Dr. Gunnar Sachs is a very eloquent and committed lawyer with a high level of professional expertise, who is committed to his clients and also thinks and looks “outside the box”.’
‘Fast reaction time, always available as a contact person, high level of competence across the entire team.’
‘Carolin Kemmner and Caroline Giesen are very committed, technically very competent, extremely professional and very pleasant to work with.’
Hogan Lovells International LLP
Hogan Lovells International LLP is among the top players in the German healthcare and life sciences sector and offers comprehensive advice with a sizeable team. Jörg Schickert, Ina Brock and Arne Thiermann focus on regulatory issues pertaining to novel therapies such as stem cell therapy, gene therapy and CAR-T cell therapy and assist numerous clients from the life sciences industry, primarily from the US. The team also acts for large pharmaceutical companies and private equity houses on licensing and M&A transactions, here, Lutz Angerer regularly takes the lead. Digital healthcare issues and the digitisation of the healthcare sector are other mainstays, where the team frequently advises on strategic alliances between pharmaceutical and IT companies in close cross-practice cooperation. The segments compliance and product liability are key strengths of Désirée Maier, Sebastian Lach and Matthias Schweiger, while Tanja Eisenblätter specialises in pharmaceutical advertising law. Andreas von Falck is experienced in contentious patent law issues.
Jörg Schickert; Tanja Eisenblätter; Andreas von Falck; Lutz Angerer; Ina Brock
Other key lawyers:
Arne Thiermann; Désirée Maier; Tina Welter-Birk; Sebastian Lach; Matthias Schweiger
‘The Hogan Lovells team is very structured, experienced and very competent. Especially in the area of pharmaceuticals, the law firm shows its extremely strong competence. There is also cross-practice work, so everyone knows what’s going on.’
‘Arne Thiermann is very experienced. He is not only characterized by his outstanding competence, but also by his approachable and friendly nature.’
‘Working with Hogan Lovells always goes smoothly: one always gets quick and competent feedback!’
‘Dr. Jörg Schickert: The advice is always quick and extremely competent. Outstanding!’
‘Matthias Schweiger is competent, level-headed and always well informed. Checks in regularly to update on the status of the situation.’
‘Arne Thiermann is calm, very confident in conversations and negotiations.’
‘The HL team is able to cover all legal issues relevant to us, be it with a focus on Germany or in a European context. Depending on the complexity, the consulting work is carried out cost-efficiently by associates and/or partners. Experts in the individual departments are brought in at the right time and coordinated internally so that we as the client receive timely, comprehensive advice on the relevant projects that is tailored to our needs.’
‘Jörg Schickert has in-depth knowledge of the German life sciences market and is a specialist in regulatory and compliance issues. The advice he and his team provide, including on questions relating to advertising law, is very competent, timely and solution-oriented.’
Bundesverband Herzkranke Kinder e.V. (BVHK)
Daiichi Sankyo Europe
Eli Lilly and Company
- Advising numerous clients on German market entry and subsequent expansion to other European markets. The advice related to pharmaceutical and drug advertising law, the development of distribution systems, regulatory issues and the drafting of contracts as well as data protection, corporate, employment and real estate law.
- Advising Merz Therapeutics on a strategic license and cooperation agreement with the Israeli urology start-up Vensica Therapeutics Ltd. As part of the partnership, Merz Therapeutics and Vensica agreed to work together to deliver Merz’s Botulinum Neurotoxin A (Xeomin®) to the bladder wall using Vensica’s innovative ultrasound-guided delivery catheter.
- Advising Moderna on contractual, regulatory and advertising issues in the healthcare sector and on setting up sales in the EU.
The CMS team is particularly active in advising on regulatory issues, including several recent cooperation projects, and supports major domestic and foreign manufacturers of pharmaceuticals and medical devices as well as manufacturers of medicinal cannabis. Recent growth areas include the advice to healthcare service providers, importers and test center operators on Covid-19-related matters in connection with vaccines, pharmaceuticals and tests, while the expertise in digital healthcare and data protection issues was called upon by start-ups, manufacturers of digital healthcare apps and investors. The team also covers matters at the coporate interface and assists with acquisition and sales transactions, takeovers and share purchases. Practice head Jens Wagner has extensive expertise in the areas of pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, medical devices and dietary supplements, which is regularly requested by various companies in the life sciences sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘Reliable service tailored to the client’s needs. High professional quality.’
‘Jörn Witt: High quality standards. High level of commitment and dedication. Always maintains an overview in order to set priorities correctly. Very experienced, professional and approachable.’
‘What we particularly appreciate about CMS is the pragmatic and practice-oriented approach, the service orientation, the very high professional quality and the pronounced industry expertise.’
Eli Lilly and Company
Nordmark Pharma GmbH
DePuy International / Johnson & Johnson Medical
Bayer Vital GmbH
Bundesrepublik Deutschland / Bundesminsterium für Gesundheit
- Advising the Otto Group on entering the digital health industry as part of the takeover of the majority stake in Medgate Holding and the simultaneous acquisition of 100% of the shares in BetterDoc GmbH by Medgate Holding.
- Advising and representing GE Healthcare Buchler GmbH & Co. KG on the AMNOG benefit assessment after the new approval of a drug, including contract negotiations with the GKV-SV, arbitration board proceedings, proceedings before the LSG Berlin-Brandenburg and revision before the Federal Social Court.
- Representing Bayer Vital GmbH in numerous competition law and drug advertising law disputes relating to the client’s important core products.
Covington & Burling LLP
Covington & Burling LLP 's team frequently acts across locations and advises national and international pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical technology and food companies and, increasingly, associations on pharmaceutical and medical device law as well as on relevant intersections. These are primarly matters pertaining to data protection and compliance as well as transactions, IP and litigation. Due to the close cooperation with the Brussels location, the practice also assists with European matters such as EU legal reform projects in the life sciences sector. Pharmaceutical and medical device law specialist Adem Koyuncu heads the team, he is dually qualified as physician and lawyer.
‘I value the deep background knowledge and industry expertise.’
‘Adem Koyuncu is one of the smartest lawyers I know.’
‘Dr. Adem Koyuncu is a dually qualified physician and attorney and has prior professional experience in the pharmaceutical industry. He is an excellent lawyer for dispute resolution and advises at the highest level, especially strategic advice.’
Merck & Co
EFPIA – European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations
- Comprehensive advice to BioNTech on numerous regulatory, contractual and data protection issues.
- Advising the European medical device association MedTech Europe and the pharmaceutical association EFPIA on the draft of a regulation on the European Health Data Space.
- Advising MSD Sharp & Dohme on the global carve-out of the Women’s Health, Legacy Products and Biosimilars businesses as Global Corporate Entity Structuring Counsel and on the acquisition of all shares in Acceleron Pharma, Inc.
D+B Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB
D+B Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaft mbB supports national and international pharmaceutical and medical technology companies, pharmacies, physicians and hospitals in all healthcare matters with a core focus on statutory health insurance. The firm fields several teams, such as the pharmaceuticals and pharmacy team headed by Ulrich Grau and Constanze Püschel, a physician contract law group led by Martin Stellpflug and Thomas Willaschek, and a hospital team headed by Thomas Bohle and Christian Reuther. The team regularly acts across practices and covers matters at the intersections with data protection, advertising and criminal law. This expertise is routinely requested in connection with regulatory issues as well as transactions. Other key contacts are Maximilian Warntjen (medical criminal law), Jan Moeck (physician contract law and psychotherapist legislation) and Christian Pinnow (digital health, physician contract law and psychotherapist legislation as well as medical care centres). In January 2022, Ricarda Maria Essel (transactions, e-health and healthcare compliance) and Sabrina Neuendorf (pharmacy law, statutory health insurance) made associated partners, while Tobias Volkwein (pharmaceutical law, medical device law, statutory health insurance) was promoted to equity partner.
Ulrich Grau; Thomas Bohle; Martin Stellpflug; Constanze Püschel; Thomas Willaschek; Maximilian Warntjen; Christian Reuther; Jan Moeck; Christian Pinnow; Tobias Volkwein
Other key lawyers:
‘D+B has very deep knowledge of the healthcare market. In addition, very good relationships with the administration to clarify regulatory issues quickly and easily.’
‘Thomas Willaschek is able to adapt the legal advice in a very agile way. He manages to combine the previous perspectives of the traditional stakeholders in the German healthcare system with the new digital businesses.’
‘Qualified coverage of the different aspects of healthcare. Undogmatic and client-centric implementation of planning projects.’
‘Dr. Thomas Willaschek: Excellent professional knowledge, good understanding of entrepreneurial approaches, focused and efficient way of working.’
‘Constanze Püschel and Christian Pinnow are outstanding.’
‘Excellent expertise in general and specific healthcare issues. Exceptional rate in all legal disputes. High staff availability and commitment.’
‘Ulrich Grau: Outstanding quality in all legal issues of the health care system, excellent specialist in the assessment/exploration of the tension between social legislation and public procurement law.’
‘Early awareness of trends and changes thanks to a very good network in politics and business.’
DMS Medical Supply Germany Gmbh (Kry)
Krankenhausgesellschaft Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (KGMV)
- Comprehensive advice to a digital health start-up, including drafting a supply contract with a health insurance group to integrate a digital prevention app.
- Comprehensive regulatory advice to DMS Medical Supply Germany GmbH (Kry) on market entry and cooperations.
- Regulatory advice to an international private equity company on the buy-and-build of an MVZ chain in the orthopedic sector.
Gleiss Lutz is a popular address for advising health insurance companies and, increasingly, medical technology and pharmaceutical companies. The team advises on patients rights, social security law and regualtory matters. Growth areas include healthcare compliance and transactional matters, which, in addition to medicinal cannabis, data protection and digitisation issues, form the core of the advice offering. This is complemented by expertise in public procurement and patent law as well as mass proceedings. Thanks to its full-service approach, the practice also covered recent Covid-19-related matters in connection with the procurement and distribution of vaccines. Martin Viciano Gofferje and Reimar Buchner lead the team.
Other key lawyers:
Marco König; Enno Burk; Eike Bicker; Andreas Neun; Christian Hamann
‘Well positioned, extensive and broad know-how, socially competent, client-oriented, comprehensive research, well-founded recommendations.’
‘Dr. Reimar Buchner: Very high level of specialist expertise in hospital law, very high willingness to provide services, advisory skills.’
‘High specialization and very good cooperation between the specialists involved; very good overview of the people in charge of the process; goal-oriented control of the process even in time-critical situations; very good and persistent negotiation skills; high service orientation and a personally pleasant cooperation.’
AOKen (Bundesverband, Landesverbände)
Carl Zeiss Meditec
Karl Storz SE & Co. KG
Zur Rose Group AG
Integer Holdings Corporation
MAYD Group GmbH
- Advice to the AOK-Bundesverband GbR in connection with the electronic patient file and regarding the telematics infrastructure in German health law as well as support in the tender and the negotiation of essential contracts for this.
- Advising the Federal Ministry of Health on and representation in preliminary injunction proceedings brought by Sanofi-Aventis Deutschland GmbH due to the alleged nullity of the 1st ordinance amending the ordinance on entitlement to vaccinations against influenza and measles.
- Advised the US company Integer, a leading medical device outsourcing manufacturer, on the acquisition of Oscor, a medical device company based in Palm Harbor, Florida, for $220 million.
Hengeler Mueller's interdisciplinary approach covers matters at the interface with commercial criminal law and M&A as well as data protection, counsel Susanne Koch is a key contact for the latter. Hospital operators, medical device manufacturers, pharmaceutical dealers and private equity investors instruct the team in connection with traditional regulatory issues pertaining to pharmaceutical and veterinary pharmaceutical law. Expertise in transactions, internal investigations and compliance as well as data protection issues in connection with market entry complement this offer. The team’s interface competencies related to constitutional and commercial administrative law were recently demonstrated in the advice to a hospital operator on Covid-19-related matters. Dirk Uwer (public commercial law, compliance and commercial criminal law) and administrative law and regulatory expert Wolfgang Spoerr are among the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Latham & Watkins LLP
Latham & Watkins LLP fields an experienced as well as internationally-oriented transaction practice, which assists companies and investors with large-scale M&A and private equity transactions. The advice covers all matters in the healthcare and life sciences segment, including the care and hospital property sector, carve-out transactions, product acquisitions and joint ventures as well as interfacing issues pertaining to tax, employment, procurement and data protection law. Henning Schneider is highly experienced in transactions and jointly heads the team with Christoph Engeler, who routinely advises on restructurings, privatisations and joint ventures.
Other key lawyers:
Antin Infrastructure Partners
Cheplapharm Arzneimittel GmbH
Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg
KMK Kinderzimmer Gruppe
McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP
McDermott Will & Emery Rechtsanwälte Steuerberater LLP advises pharmaceutical, medical technology and biotechnology companies on large projects in the healthcare sector, in particular M&A, strategic cooperation agreements, market access and reimbursement issues pertaining to pharmaceuticals and compliance. The team also assists with international projects thanks to the cooperation across practices as well as with the locations in France, Great Britain and the US. These competencies are reflected at practice head level in Stephan Rau, who is supported by Monika Emilia Richter (pharmaceutical and licensing transactions) and Deniz Tschammler (commercial and strategic projects in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors as well as litigation); Tschammler made partner in January 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Jana Grieb; Deniz Tschammler; Sylvia Petereit-Kemter; Monika Emilia Richter
‘The special feature is that various experts from the fields of law, business and PR as well as contacts with the industry are immediately available within a very short time and work together excellently.’
‘Dr. Rau leads an excellent team of lawyers in various areas that optimally cover the topic of healthcare.’
‘Very clear focus on the assigned tasks; coordination with the relevant experts in-house; fast and targeted processing of inquiries; customer-oriented, very friendly communication.’
‘Deniz Tschammler: I appreciate his attentiveness, speed, approachability and understanding as well as his professional and always very friendly handling of queries. Technically, he is brilliant and has one or more suggested solutions for most issues.’
‘Outstanding competence in the different areas, very good cooperation between the partners and employees from the different branches. Pace of work is unique.’
‘The firm’s lawyers (especially Monika Richter) react extremely quickly and reliably when drafting contracts and negotiations. Especially when it comes to the famous extra mile, suggestions are made for formulations that help resolve deadlocked situations without having to give up one’s own position.’
‘They offer great value in all their work and are extremely efficient and client-oriented.’
‘I commend Stephan Rau for his excellent approach to difficult situations, always in the interests of the client. I would particularly like to emphasize his ability to unite all parties. I also commend Jana Grieb for her excellent expertise in regulatory matters.’
- Advising Apax Capital Partners LLP on the sale of Unilabs to Maersk.
- Advising doktor.se Nordic AB, a global leader in telemedicine, on entering the German market.
- Advising STADA Arzneimittel AG in the context of a Europe-wide cooperation with Calliditas on the marketing of Nefecon, an orphan drug for the treatment of patients with primary IgA nephropathy.
Taylor Wessing offers an interdisciplinary as well as cross-locational approach and focuses on traditional pharmaceutical law as well as pharmaceutical advertising and medical device law. The team routinely cooperates with other practices and US law firms. The versatile client base consists of pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, medical device manufacturers and investors, which are advised on transactions, cooperations and patent proceedings in connection with product and market launches as well as on product liability proceedings and other contentious issues. Growth areas include the support to hospitals on matters pertaining to the Hospital Future Act as well as corona-related digital healthcare issues, particularly in the venture capital sphere. The team is led by IP specialist Anja Lunze and Michael Stein, who is experienced in restructurings, joint ventures and corporate law. The salary partner appointment of Kathleen Munstermann in July 2021 strengthened the team’s regulatory capacities in the transactional space.
Other key lawyers:
Oliver Klöck; Oliver Kirschner; Karolina Lange-Kulmann; Andrea Sautter; Kathleen Munstermann
‘Very good combination of corporate and medical law and other specialist areas. Very good associates and junior partners.’
‘Excellent knowledge of medical law and regulation.’
‘The advice/representation by Taylor Wessing is always quick and yet very competent.’
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
Sanecum / Adiuva Capital
- Advising amedes on numerous transactions in the healthcare sector, including the acquisition of a fertility center in Munich, a specialist clinic for HIV and liver diseases in Hamburg, two gynecological and cytological institutes in Baden-Württemberg, a fertility center in Trier, a pathology department in Hamm and a practice in the Rhineland -Palatinate.
- Advising NORD Holding and Zentrum Gesundheit Group on the acquisition of the Flechsig clinic and on the acquisition of the REALEYES Group.
- Representation of Abbott GmbH and ADC Inc. in a total of ten proceedings in Mannheim and Düsseldorf relating to blood glucose meters, in particular FreeStyle Libre.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP is known for its transactional strength in the healthcare and life sciences sector. The team is led by transaction specialist Alexander Veith and assists companies from the pharmaceutical and biotechnology, medical device, consumer and veterinary health sectors as well as private equity investors. Interface competencies cover data protection law, the digitisation of the healthcare sector and cloud-based matters. Counsel Eda Zhuleku is well versed in regulatory matters pertaining to market entry and reimbursement, while Stephan Neuhaus, who joined the team from Hogan Lovells International LLP in May 2021, is a key contact for contentious IP issues. Joachim Feldges (pharmaceutical industry, patent litigation) left the practice in April 2022 to set up his own firm.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very good understanding of all aspects of healthcare, very experienced in transactions, but also experienced in compliance and financing issues.’
‘Alexander Veith is pragmatic and clever.’
BC Partners LLP
Bridgepoint Advisers Limited
The Riverside Company
Vision HC BV
House of HR
iOmx Therapeutics AG
Genomic Testing Cooperative
Bayer Animal Health
- Advising Bayer AG on the sale of its mens health product Nebido™ (testosterone undecanoate) to Grünenthal. The transaction volume totals up to €500 million.
- Advising BC Partners on the acquisition of Tentamus Group GmbH from Auctus. The acquisition values Tentamus at around €1 billion.
- Advising IQVIA on the acquisition of DAVASO, a leading service provider for statutory health insurance companies in Germany with a focus on claims processing.
Dentons ‘ healthcare and life sciences practice focuses on the central pillars corporate law and M&A as well as regulatory matters. The team also covers issues at the interface with public procurement, employment and insolvency law, where the team regularly cooperates with the respective teams. Practice head Christof Kautzsch specialises in transactions in the hospital sector, including restructurings and privatisations, while the head of the German life sciences and European cannabis group, Peter Homberg, advises on M&A as well as regulatory and compliance issues. The medical law specialist Ilka Mehdorn co-heads both the European life sciences regulatory group as well as the German public sector practice. She is a key contact for regulatory issues such as contracts with regulatory aspects, social data protection, arbitration and court proceedings related to social law and compliance. The client base includes small, innovative pharmaceutical manufacturers, hospital associations, financial investors and research institutes.
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Strassner; Jörg Karenfort; Peter Homberg; Ilka Mehdorn
BG Kliniken Ludwigshafen und Tübingen gGmbH / BG Kliniken – Klinikverbund der gesetzlichen Unfallversicherung gGmbH
EU Malaria Fund
Fresenius Medical Care
GH Research Ltd.
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
Vesalius Biocapital III Partners Sàrl
- Advising the Swiss AMEOS Group on the takeover of Sana Kliniken Ostholstein GmbH (SKO). Advice on the spin-off and transfer of four hospital locations and service facilities as part of a mixed share and asset deal from one group structure to another.
- Representing a Chinese API manufacturer in a multinational arbitration against a global pharmaceutical company regarding claims of at least €100 million related to a product recall.
- Advising the biopharmaceutical company GH Research on its IPO on the US technology exchange NASDAQ.
Led by the pharmaceutical and medical device law expert and general practitioner Christian Dierks, Dierks+Company advises well-known companies, start-ups as well as phamaceutical manufacturers, here, the team strengthened its capacities with Steffen Schröder in January 2022 (previously at Bayer AG). Additional experience in project management and IT lead to regular instructions in connection with the development of new medical devices and digital healthcare services. This expertise includes contract design and regulatory issues such as benefit assessments, reimbursement matters, clinical trials and market entry, where the practice frequently acts at the interface to data protection and digitisation. Thanks to the co-founded BioLaw Europe network, the team also assists with cross-border matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Broad portfolio, especially in the field of digitization.’
‘Very broad and long experience in the healthcare sector with good networking and innovative event concepts. Courageous and not as conservative as others when it comes to digitization issues.’
‘Christian Dierks is outstanding.’
Aino Betriebsmedizin GmbH (ehemals Aino UG)
Alexion Pharma Germany GmbH
Apotheke im Elisenpalais
Björn Steiger Stiftung
Bundesverband der Pharmazeutischen Industrie e.v. (BPI)
Charité Research Organisation
Daiichi Sankyo Deutschland GmbH
Datenregister für Hautkrebserkrankungen
Diers International GmbH
Flatiron Health Inc
gematik GmbH (zuvor gematik – Gesellschaft für Telematikanwendungen der Gesundheitskarte mbH).
HEALTHCARE IT-Solutions GmbH
Kliniken Schmieder Gruppe
Klinikum der TU
Lohmann & Rauscher GmbH & Co. KG
neoplas med GmbH
Pfizer Pharma GmbH
RR Technologies GmbH
Samsung Electronics GmbH
SHL Telemedizin GmbH
Südwestmetall – Verband der Metall- und Elektroindustrie Baden-Württemberg e. V.
Systasy Biosciene GmbH
Treatment Technologies & Insights, LLC
Vifor Pharma Gruppe
Vivira Health Lab GmbH
Zur Rose Group
- Advice to Alexion Pharma GmbH on all drug law issues, in particular support for the early benefit assessment and subsequent price negotiations with the Central Association of Statutory Health Insurance for the three most important products.
- Advising Pfizer Pharma GmbH on the development of a concept for a health data platform for the European Union.
- Advising Flatiron on the creation of a data protection concept and a data protection impact assessment, with which patient-related health data from the hospitals are deeply curated and transferred to a database that universities, institutions and companies can use to conduct scientific research.
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner
Friedrich Graf von Westphalen & Partner advises a client portfolio consisting of small and medium-sized German companies as well as international corporations from the pharmaceutical, medical device and biotechnology sectors. The advice offering is equally versatile: Frankfurt-based Sabine Schröter advises hospitals and hospital groups on employment law, while Hendrik Thies in Freiburg assists clients with commercial and corporate law issues, in particular the drafting of cross-border contracts. Additionally, Morton Douglas (also in Freiburg) specialises in pharmacy law and is regularly instructed by pharmacies and pharmacy associations. This offer is complemented by expertise in compliance and data protection. Barbara Mayer, who is experienced in corporate and M&A, joined Advant Beiten in April 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Sabine Schröter; Jan Henning Martens; Meike Kapp-Schwoerer; Annette Bödeker
‘Sabine Schröter has excellent comprehension, is highly analytical and negotiates with confidence. Her ability to communicate with people, to present facts precisely and, in particular, to propose innovative solutions have always been the success factors in previous projects.’
APO Pharma Immun GmbH
Cranach Pharma GmbH
Dorner GmbH & Co. KG
Dt. Versandapotheke Fliegende Pillen
Essilor International S.A.
Getinge Deutschland GmbH
Paracelsus Kliniken Deutschland GmbH & Co. KGaA
Pulsion Medical Systems S E
Tillotts Pharma AG
VDARZ – Bundesverband Deutscher Apothekenrechenzentren
- Ongoing advice to the Apothekerkammer Nordrhein (North Rhine Chamber of Pharmacists) on numerous landmark proceedings before German and European courts.
- Advising a medical technology network on model contracts for authorized dealers under the new Medical Devices Directive.
- Comprehensive regulatory, corporate and inheritance law advice on the restructuring of a pharmaceuticals retailer.
King & Spalding LLP
King & Spalding LLP focuses on regulatory advice in the life sciences sector. The team also acts at the interface with pharmaceutical and food law, where practice head Ulf Grundmann is a key contact. He also represents clients in contentious proceedings, including competition law, and frequently joins forces with Elisabeth Kohoutek, who was appointed counsel in April 2022. Contentious proceedings were a particular growth area, including matters pertaining to the differentiation of pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and medical devices as well as in connection with the counterfeit drug directive and parallel imports; the team also increasingly assisted with compliance and data protection issues. Thanks to the cooperation with the location in Washington DC and others, the practice advises on cross-border matters such as product launches and M&A.
Other key lawyers:
‘They provide comprehensive information and advice, especially in complex matters where IP and regulatory law intersect.’
‘Ulf Grundmann has a lot of experience and excellent expertise in patent and trademark law in the life sciences. He solves complex issues with a lot of creativity and offers alternative perspectives that regularly lead to better results.’
‘Ulf Grundmann is also realistic in terms of chances of success and costs and thus allows for efficient planning of cases and budget.’
Novartis Pharma AG
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare GmbH & Co. KG (GSK Consumer Healthcare)
Angelini Pharma Deutschland
Teva GmbH Deutschland GmbH
Teva Pharmaceuticals B.V.
Dr. Willmar Schwabe GmbH & Co.KG
Deutsche Homöopathie-Union DHU-Arzneimittel GmbH & Co. KG (DHU)
Roche Diagnostics GmbH
VSM Geneesmiddelen B.V.
Chemische Fabrik Kreussler Co. GmbH
Dr. Kade Pharmazeutische Fabrik GmbH
SGF International e.V.
Truw Arzneimittel GmbH
Gamers Only GmbH
- Representing Novartis Pharma AG as the original manufacturer in the first referral procedure before the ECJ on the counterfeit medicines directive. Ongoing representation in EU-wide proceedings against parallel importers and advice in connection with the infringement of trademark rights, in particular against the background of the change in pharmaceutical law due to the counterfeit drug directive.
- Representing ratiopharm GmbH in proceedings against the parallel import of medicines from ratiopharm to Germany, in particular against the background of the change in medicines law due to the counterfeit drug directive.
- Advice to GSK Consumer Healthcare in connection with OTC products in competition law disputes and advice in connection with drug, food and medical device law.
Linklaters‘ healthcare practice follows an interdisciplinary and cross-locational approach in advising companies in the healthcare sector on national and international transactions, restructurings and joint ventures. This expertise at the corporate and M&A interface, managing associate Ruprecht von Maltzahn is a key contact here, is complemented by regulatory capacities pertaining to products, such as clinical studies and market entry, as well as expertise in compliance, product liability and (contentious) IP issues. For the latter, Bolko Ehlgen and head of the global TMT and IP practice, Julia Schönbohm, are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Julia Schönbohm; Jana Hager; Anke Krause; Rupert Bellinghausen
- Advising Stada-Arzneimittel AG on the acquisition of a portfolio of well-known over-the-counter cold and flu medicines from Sanofi in several European countries, including the Silomat and Mytosil brands.
- Representing ViiV Healthcare in German proceedings in global patent litigation in the area of HIV with Gilead Sciences.
- Advising McKesson on the sale of large parts of the continental European business to PHOENIX Pharmahandel GmbH & Co KG.
Meisterernst Rechtsanwälte impresses with a dual focus on pharmaceutical and food law. Among the client base are players from the pharmaceutical and medical device sectors, which recently drew on the team’s expertise in competition and pharmaceutical advertising law proceedings, including several landmark proceedings, where Christian Tillmanns frequently took the lead. The practice also acts in an advisory capacity, assisting with distribution, advertising and product launch issues, contract design and compliance as well as regulatory and data protection matters. Additionally, Markus Fuderer has expertise in innovative technologies such as artificial intelligence and 3D printing in the healthcare sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘Versatile team in almost all areas of health law (pharmaceutical law, medical device law, food law), which works very well together. This also creates ideas for innovations.’
‘Christian Tillmanns is the figurehead for pharmaceutical and medical device law.’
‘What I appreciate about the team is their profound legal knowledge, which is always up to date, their pragmatism, knowledge of the industry and their right instinct for risks.’
Alnylam Germany GmbH / Alnylam Switzerland GmbH
Amicus Therapeutics GmbH
LifeScan Deutschland GmbH
Miracor Medical S.A.
Queisser Pharma GmbH & Co. KG
Salus Haus Otto Greither Nachfolge GmbH & Co. KG
- Advising the biopharmaceutical company Alnylam on preparing for the launch of new products; in addition, constant legal advice and representation in the area of pharmaceutical advertising.
- Representing Salus Haus in court on various fundamental issues relating to the admissibility of advertising and packaging design, including medicinal and herbal teas; recently on the admissibility of advertising for pharmaceuticals with organic labels and the compatibility of German pharmaceutical law with European law in this regard.
- Ongoing advice to the global biopharmaceutical company Amicus Therapeutics GmbH on all legal issues such as licensing and contract law, clinical studies and cooperation agreements with medical centers, distribution and advertising law and compliance; recently also advice and representation in connection with AMNOG proceedings in price negotiations on reimbursement contributions with the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Funds and advice on matters of benefit assessment with the Federal Joint Committee.
Möhrle Happ Luther
Möhrle Happ Luther fields Henning Anders, who is an expert in AMNOG proceedings, which, in addition to market access and reimbursement issues as well as compliance and digitisation projects, are among his key advisory strengths. The team also focuses on pharmaceutical advertising law, where Julia Luther and Joachim Jung are the key contacts. Additionally, the firm offers support via its auditors and tax consultants.
Other key lawyers:
‘I get quick feedback and reactions. It is just perfect for me. In addition: the billing is super transparent. I like that a lot compared to other law firms.’
‘Henning Anders is very experienced and always thinks several steps ahead and around the corner. That’s great. One can also talk to him over the phone and collaborate in this way.’
‘Excellent cooperation within the team and with the customers, a team of specialists for very different questions and subject areas, fast and comprehensive advice, very good substitution regulations, excellent availability overall.’
‘The entire team is extremely competent in the field of pharmaceuticals and here in turn in the respective special resort. Strong in communication and very self-reflective and authentic at the same time.’
‘Henning Anders combines outstanding experience in the field of market access for medicinal products with strong expertise. His knowledge is always up to date on the (political) discussion and his advice on negotiations is excellent.’
‘MHL is very helpful. Support is provided very promptly and the comprehensive know-how of the law firm is used in a very pleasant manner for specific legal issues.’
‘Henning Anders: Great expertise and outstanding strategic skills, while at the same time taking a pragmatic approach to the tasks within the scope of the mandate.’
‘The law firm MHL is characterized by excellent quality, reliability, confidentiality and flexibility. They are reliable partners who adapt to the needs of the client and quickly familiarize themselves with new topics and issues.’
Almirall Hermal GmbH
Pfizer Pharma GmbH/ Pfizer Deutschland GmbH/
- Comprehensive advice to Astra Zeneca GmbH on pharmaceutical law, including all regulatory and civil law specifics, as well as on corporate and labor law issues. Recently in relation to the development of advertising campaigns and in disputes with competitors.
- Comprehensive out-of-court advice to Amgen GmbH on drug advertising law and support in disputes.
- Advising Pfizer Pharma GmbH in the field of vaccines, in particular on questions relating to drug advertising.
Oppenländer Rechtsanwälte's Stuttgart-based team focuses on the segments pharmaceuticals, pharmacies and medical devices and regularly assists with proceedings before the authorities, delimitation and distribution issues as well as matters pertaining to pharmaceutical advertising, competition and food law; the latter frequently relates to the health claims regulation, where Christina Koppe-Zagouras and Katharina Köbler regularly take the lead. Koppe-Zagouras and Köbler jointly head the practice with Timo Kieser. All three act in an advisory capacity as well as in contentious proceedings.
‘High legal level, pragmatic solutions, speed, fair price.’
‘Dr. Katharina Köbler: Pragmatic, goal-oriented, solution-oriented, reliable, fast.’
Arvato Supply Chain Solutions GmbH
Deutsches Zahnärztliches Rechenzentrum und weitere Gesellschaften der Dr. Güldener-Gruppe
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare GmbH & Co. KG
WEPA Apothekenbedarf GmbH & Co. KG
PHAGRO Bundesverband des pharmazeutischen Großhandels e.V.
Reckitt Benckiser Deutschland GmbH
Dr. Falk Pharma GmbH
Beiersdorf Dermo Medical GmbH
Accord Healthcare GmbH
Accord Healthcare Ltd. (UK)
Andreas Hettich GmbH & Co. KG
Bioloving Germany Biotech GmbH & Co. KG
Jungbunzlauer Ladenburg GmbH
Simple Online Healthcare Ltd.
Herbert Waldmann GmbH & Co. KG
Biologische Heilmittel Heel GmbH
- Comprehensive advice on pharmaceutical and medicinal product law to GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare GmbH & Co. KG, including support in disputes with competitors and advice on food law.
- Advice to Accord HealthCare on expanding the product portfolio.
- Advice on competition law and food law to Biologische Heilmittel Heel GmbH, in particular with regard to the health claims regualtion.
Osborne Clarke ‘s practice is experienced in advising pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, both in the transactional sphere as well as on regulatory matters, including the interface between healthcare and technology. The team assists with the development of innovative healthcare models and digital support services as well as clinical studies in connection with digitisation issues and medical technology matters. Practice head Tim Reinhard also covers this intersection.
Other key lawyers:
Bruker Gruppe Deutschland (Bruker EAS, Bruker HTS, Bruker BioSpin, RI Research)
Kettenbach GmbH & Co KG
KMS Vertrieb und Services AG
WW (vormals Weight Watchers)
Klinotel Hornbach Errichtungs GmbH
KMS Klinik Management Systeme
VAMED Rehazentren Deutschland GmbH
Sylphar NV und KaroPharma AB
- Advising Grifols, S.A. on the potential acquisition of Biotest AG.
- Advising Sylphar NV and Karo Pharma AB on the acquisition of Del Decus Enterprises Ltd’s Satin Naturel business.
- Employment law advice to Bruker EAS on restructuring and advice on, among other things, the development and introduction of a Corona 3G strategy.
Preu Bohlig & Partner
Preu Bohlig & Partner fields Alexander Meier as well as practice head Peter von Czettritz in Munich and offers expertise in all areas of pharmaceutical, competition and cosmetics law, which is requested by pharmaceutical and medical device companies. Daniel Hoppe in Hamburg complements this with patent law expertise. The team regularly advises on the licensing, development and marketing of pharmaceuticals – Meier is a key contact for orphan drugs – as well as on product liability and compliance issues. Von Czettritz is also experienced in third-party opposition proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Meier; Daniel Hoppe; Tanja Strelow; Stephanie Thewes; Jan Peter Heidenreich
‘Knowledge and experience in the area of pharmaceutical approvals.’
‘The law firm is characterized by great competence, flexibility and practical relevance.’
‘Dr. Alexander Meier has an extremely high level of expertise and never neglects the needs of practice.’
MIT Gesundheit GmbH
Stada Pharma GmbH
Raue‘s team follows a full-service approach and offers regulatory and transactional know-how, which is utilised by investors, start-ups, medical care centers, pharmaceutical and medical device companies, and hospitals. The latter regularly instruct Wolfgang Kuhla in connection with planning and financing issues and the drafting of cooperation agreements and physicians’ contracts. Katharina Wodarz, in addition to transactional support, is well versed in pharmacy and pharmaceutical pricing law and also assists with contentious proceedings before the authorities and courts. Maren Bedau (hospital sector, physician contract law, nursing care companies and compliance) is another key contact. The team’s interface capacities include data protection, competition, corporate and employment law, which are frequently handled in cross-practice cooperation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Dr. Katharina Wodarz: Precise, strong nerves, very familiar with market developments and the regulatory environment.’
‘Great law firm with a very human team and concentrated competence in all areas of health law. The team is characterized by a very practical approach with a great deal of sensitivity for the essentials.’
‘Dr. Maren Bedau: An extremely experienced and knowledgeable partner, guides safely through difficult negotiations and develops innovative solutions for new issues.’
‘Dr. Jörg Adam: Excellent expertise in all medical issues, has well-founded specialist knowledge and is always pleasant to deal with personally.’
‘Dr. Stephanie Wiesner: Extremely competent lawyer, has very well-founded industry-specific knowledge.’
‘Very experienced, technically excellent team.’
‘Wolfgang Kuhla: High professional expertise combined with absolutely good communication.’
‘Very well-rehearsed team that brings up-to-date expertise to the table for every sub-area, even in complex, new situations.’
Deus Health GmbH
Kliniken Nordoberpfalz AG
Sanofi Deutschland GmbH
Deutsches Herzzentrum Berlin (DHZB)
DRK Kliniken Berlin
Ceotra Vertriebs- & Handels GmbH
Omnicare, Dr. Römer Kliniken GmbH
Zur Rose Pharma GmbH, DocMorris Services NV
DIZG Deutsches Institut für Zell- und Gewebeersatz gGmbH
- Comprehensive advice to DocMorris on setting up the DocMorrisExpress health platform for products sold in pharmacies (including prescription drugs).
- Advising Deus Health on the implementation of an innovative business model in the outpatient healthcare sector.
- Advising Kliniken Nordoberpfalz AG and its subsidiaries on medical and labor law issues.
DLA Piper predominantly assists with large-scale cross-border transactions in the life sciences sector as well as with related corporate, regulatory and patent law issues thanks to the international network. Most recently, research agreements, market access and compliance matters as well as the advertising and marketing of medical devices constituted a large share of the case load. This expertise is also reflected at practice head level in patent litigator Philipp Cepl, counsel Kokularajah Paheenthararajah (patent and license litigation) and counsel Moritz von Hesberg (corporate and M&A, corporate governance).
Philipp Cepl; Kokularajah Paheenthararajah; Moritz von Hesberg
Active Ownership Capital (AOC)
- Advising Canadian medical cannabis producer Aphria on its merger with Tilray to become the largest player in the medical cannabis market.
- Ongoing advice to CytoSorbents on numerous research agreements, agreements with CROs and compliance when working with healthcare professionals. In addition to IP issues, the focus here is on regulatory compliance issues relating to medical device law, but advice is also given on TierSchG (animal welfare) in the research context.
- Ongoing advice and support for zahneins on the growth strategy by means of buy-and-build acquisitions.
Ehlers, Ehlers & Partner
Ehlers, Ehlers & Partner specialises in medical law and is renowned for its expertise in AMNOG and legislative proceedings. The team also offers regulatory advice on M&A transactions and restructurings. This is complemented by experience in market access issues and compliance as well as matters pertaining to the digitisation sphere such as telematics, digital medical devices, healthcare services and data protection law with regular instructions from pharmaceutical companies and medical device manufacturers. Christian Rybak, who frequently advises US-based clients, jointly heads the practice with Alexander Ehlers and Julian Bartholomä.
‘It is a pleasure to work with the team of Dr. Christian Rybak to successfully introduce and market innovations in the difficult, regulatory environment of the German healthcare market.’
‘Dr. Christian Rybak is an excellent lawyer. He is a perfect partner for entrepreneurs in the healthcare market: pragmatic, perfectly networked and at the same time very professional.’
‘Dr. Christian Rybak has excellent expertise.’
Bundesministerium für Gesundheit
Deutsche Beteiligungs AG (DBAG)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Kardiologie
LeMaitre Vascular, Inc.
The internationally-oriented team at Eversheds Sutherland specialises in regulatory issues in connection with transactions, clinical trials and cooperations in the healthcare and life sciences sector as well as the structuring of business models. Other core areas include compliance and IP matters and, increasingly, issues pertaining to medicinal cannabis and CBD. Among the clients are national and international companies from the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device industries. IP expert Tobias Maier, whose competencies reflect the team’s expertise, heads the group.
Other key lawyers:
DNV (Det Norske Veritas)
KD Pharma Group
Owens & Minor/Halyard
Oxford Nanopore Technologies
Sinclair Pharmaceuticals Limited
Taiho Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
Veryan Medical Ltd
- Advising the Norwegian Det Norske Veritas (DNV) on the takeover of Medcert.
- Advising the pharmaceutical company Otsuka Pharma on global and strategic projects. Most recently two large-volume projects in the field of tuberculosis with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as well as GSK and Johnson & Johnson.
- Representing Sinclair Pharma, a leading provider of aesthetic treatment products, in and out of court with regard to drug advertising and unfair competition claims in Germany, UK, France and Spain.
Fieldfisher‘s internationally-oriented life sciences and healthcare team, led by Cord Willhöft, advises pharmaceutical, biotechnology, diagnostics and medical technology companies on reimbursement matters and regulatory market entry as well as compliance. Stefanie Greifeneder‘s expertise complements these capacities with her experience in IP matters as well as commercial and contract law.
Other key lawyers:
Asahi Kasei Bioprocess
Butterfly Networks, Inc.
Procept BioRobotics Inc.
Saluda Medical Inc.
ResMed GmbH & Co KG
Prolacta BioSciences Inc.
ZOLL CMS GmbH und ZOLL Medical Corporation
- Strategic advice to Zoll Medical on reimbursement of medical aids, healthcare compliance, contract design and data protection (GDPR).
- Advice to ResMed on M&A and real estate, among other things.
- Advising the medical device manufacturer Intersect ENT on the acquisition of another company and ongoing advice.
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB
GÖRG Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten mbB advises private and public clinics, care facilities, manufacturers of medical devices, health insurance companies and investors on pharmacy, pharmaceutical, medical device and hospital law, while the team also acts at the real estate, corporate and employment law interfaces. Administrative and medical law expert Marc Schuffner jointly heads the team with John-Patrick Bischoff, who is experienced in healthcare transactions. In January 2022, Katharina Landes (health law, IP, IT, data protection) and Markus Beyer (M&A) both made salary partners.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very good team sizes, very efficient and good and lean purchase contracts.’
‘Dr. Marc Schueffner: Outstanding expertise in the areas of medical and construction law, who can reduce the most complex issues to the essentials and is always fully available to his client.’
‘Unique combination of corporate and medical law. Can represent almost all relevant departments in one person, with good backing for special questions.’
Altano Gruppe GmbH
Endoprothesenregister Deutschland GmbH
Landesamt für Arbeitsschutz, Verbraucherschutz und Gesundheit (LAVG) des Landes Brandenburg
Medical Eye-Care Gemeinschaftspraxis
SCPI Pierval Santé
TERTIANUM Seniorenresidenzen/DPF AG
Heidelberg Pharma AG (vormals Wilex AG)
HEK Hanseatische Krankenkasse
KfH Kuratorium für Dialyse und Nierentransplantation e.V.
SMH Schnelle medizinische Hilfe GmbH
MIG Capital AG
- Advising the founders of Medical Eye-Care MVZ Nord GmbH on the sale to the Dutch hospital chain Bergman Clinics, which belongs to PE investor Triton.
- Comprehensive advice to and representation of PubliCare GmbH in numerous disputes that arose as a result of the multiple amendments to § 127 SGB V.
- Advising the Oberberg Group on the takeover of the Psychosomatischen Klinik GmbH & Co. Windach-Ammersee KG.
The GSK Stockmann team, led by practice heads Markus Soehnchen (corporate and M&A) and Maritheres Palichleb (real estate investments and transactions) focuses on advising national and international institutional investors on care property transactions as well as VC investments in start-ups in the healthcare, biotechnology and medical technology sectors. This is complemented by expertise in compliance matters, which was further strengthened in January 2022 with the appointment of Kristina Marx (project work) and Nicole Deparade (employment law) to local partners.
aescuvest international GmbH
Affimed GmbH (BioTech)
Apogenix AG (BioTech)
Care Concept Fachkosmetik Vertriebs GmbH
coparion GmbH & Co. KG
coparion GmbH & Co. KG
Dr. Ebel Fachkliniken Verwaltungs-GmbH
G. Pohl-Boskamp GmbH & Co. KG
Medraxa Terhapeutics GmbH
Normec Holding GmbH
Rejuveron Life Sciences AG
Vivantes Netzwerk für Gesundheit GmbH
- Advising Normec Holding GmbH on the acquisition of Hybeta GmbH, the German market leader in hospital hygiene.
- Advising Rejuveron Life Sciences AG, a Swiss biotech company, on the design and implementation of a compliance management system, a compliance organization, a compliance risk analysis and a whistleblowing hotline.
- Advising coparion on the VC investment (series B) in Catalym, an innovative biotech company developing novel immunotherapy approaches against cancer.
Harmsen Utescher specialises in IP and advises on patent litigation, pharmaceutical advertising law (including litigation) as well as the cosmetics law intersection. The client base includes pharmaceutical companies and manufacturers of medical devices, which the team assists with parallel imports and product launches. This advisory offer reflects the expertise of practice head Rainer Kaase.
‘Rainer Kaase: Good strategist and expert in trademark law.’
Neubourg Skin Care
- Comprehensive advice to the long-term client STADA and various group companies on pharmaceutical advertising law, parallel imports, soft IP, IP transactions and M&A.
- Comprehensive advice to Neubourg Skin Care on pharmaceutical advertising law and interfaces to drugs, medical devices and cosmetics law; Support with new product launches, also internationally.
- Representation of Astellas Pharma in pharmaceutical advertising law proceedings.
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH
Luther Rechtsanwaltsgesellschaft mbH was recently instructed in connection with corona-related regulations such as vaccination requirements and vaccination records. The team is also experienced in M&A and PE transactions, mergers and other corporate and contract law issues, including cooperation and distribution agreements, as well as matters pertaining to the founding of clinics and market entries. This offer is complemented by regulatory expertise in dietary supplements and digital healthcare services. Kuuya Josef Chibanguza (contract, commercial and distribution law) made partner in July 2021. The team is led by Oliver Kairies (Hanover), of counsel Cornelia Yzer (Berlin) and Denis Ullrich (Leipzig).
Other key lawyers:
Hendrik Sehy; Eva-Maria Rütz; Thomas Köhler; Thomas Gohrke; Christoph von Burgsdorff; Kuuya Josef Chibanguza
‘Thomas Gohrke is an excellent analyst and innovative advisor.’
‘Thomas Köhler finds new approaches in forms of governance.’
Städtisches Klinikum Braunschweig gGmbH
IDT Biologika GmbH
AWO Bezirksverband Hannover e. V.
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Kliniken des Landkreises Lörrach
ZytoService Beta GmbH
Klinikum Friedrichshafen GmbH
Klinikum Niederlausitz GmbH
Klinikum Burgenlandkreis GmbH
- Regulatory and medical law advice to Triton Investment Management Limited on the sale of portfolio company Meine Radiologie Holding GmbH to Swedish investment company EQT Infrastructure.
- Corporate law advice to the DRK-Schwesternschaft Kassel e.V. on the sale of shares to the Helios Kliniken Group with subsequent withdrawal of a previously filed insolvency application.
- Comprehensive advice to Mehiläinen Oy on the acquisition of Dalberg Klinik AG in Fulda and on the parallel certification of the digital health platform BeeHealthy.
Cologne-based michels.pmks Rechtsanwälte impresses with expertise in medical law, which is called upon by hospitals, medical care centers and medical practices as well as companies from the healthcare sector. Kerrin Schillhorn focuses on the inpatient care segment and jointly heads the practice with Jens-Peter Jahn, who primarily advises on outpatient care facilities. Jannis Kamann and Marcus Michels cover issues at the interface between medical and employment law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good combination of advice from inpatient and outpatient service providers. Kerrin Schillhorn and Jens-Peter Jahn have lots of experience.’
‘Jens-Peter Jahn: Great experience, reliable negotiating partner.’
‘The law firm has an extremely broad range of partners, so that all the problems and legal fields that are relevant to me can be covered.’
‘Dr. Kerrin Schillhorn: Hospital law expert, absolutely brilliant on hospital planning law.’
‘High qualification in labor law and medical law!’
‘The specialization in employment law and health law makes the law firm particularly attractive for larger inpatient service providers in the health sector.’
‘Miss Dr. Kerrin Schillhorn has many years of experience, has seen everything and has usually already thought it through before you even approach her with the question. Very good lawyer, well networked, absolutely reliable – and personable.’
‘Jens-Peter Jahn: Constant and quick availability, professional competence as well as assertiveness. ‘Crisp’ results instead of epic statements of opinion.’
Katholische Hospitalvereinigung Weser-Egge gGmbH
Krankenhaus Porz am Rhein GmbH
Kreisklinikum Siegen GmbH
Marien Gesellschaft Siegen gGmbH
MVZ am St. Marien-Hospital Friesoythe gGmbH
MVZ Med Center GmbH Siegen
MVZ des Universitätsklinikums Köln gGmbH
MVZ St. Marien GmbH
St. Franziskus-Stiftung Münster
St. Vinzenz Krankenhaus GmbH Köln
Universitätsklinikum Köln AöR
Vestische Caritas-Kliniken gGmbH
- Comprehensive advice on hospital law and representation of the Catholic Hospital Association Weser-Egge gGmbH as well as advice on cooperation with residents and other service providers and hospital planning.
- Strategic hospital law advice to the St. Franziskus Foundation and its 15 hospitals with over 4,000 beds, including hospital planning, basic questions, organizational requirements for hospitals, advice on structural reviews according to StrOPS-RL, advice on the implementation of the hospital plan NRW 2021 and advice on employment law.
- Comprehensive advice on contract physicians and representation of the Medizinisches Versorgungszentrum der Universitätsklinikums Köln gGmbH before the admissions and appointment committee as well as the KV.
Noerr combines regulatory and corporate law expertise, particularly in the core areas nursing homes, hospitals, medical care centers and medical devices. Food law specialist Evelyn Schulz took over practice group management from antitrust expert Fabian Badtke (he remains on the team) in August 2022; Schulz is experienced in product compliance and distribution. Thanks to cross-practice cooperation, the team also handles matters in the digital healthcare arena. Isabel Jakobs (product safety law, pharmaceutical and medical device law) made associated partner in January 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Ada Health GmbH
Casa Verde Capital
Doctor mi! GmbH
DRK Kliniken Nordhessen
Ergon Capital Partners
Fresenius Medical Care
Helios Kliniken GmbH
Hera Residenzen Pflege GmbH
Home Shopping Europe GmbH
Laureus Capital GmbH
New Flag GmbH
Procter & Gamble Germany
Qualitätssicherungs-Initiative Pathologie QuIP GmbH
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc
Stada Arzneimittel AG
Wir für Gesundheit
- Advising Ada Health on the global rollout of a health app and data protection issues.
- Advising the Cellex Group on the $250 million investment by Blackstone Life Sciences.
- Advising Cerner Corporation on the $375 million acquisition of Kantar Health’s international life sciences research and consulting business.
Oppenhoff‘s interdisciplinary team advises pharmaceutical manufacturers, biotechnology companies, hospitals, nursing homes, health insurance companies and service providers. The group focuses on M&A transactions and venture capital investments in healthcare start-ups and recently increasingly advised on medicinal cannabis such as import and export matters. The team is jointly led by Gabriele Fontane (corporate, M&A, private equity) and Peter Klappich (litigation and arbitration as well as advice on competition and commercial law, regulatory matters).
Other key lawyers:
Dr. August Wolff GmbH & Co. KG Arzneimittel
LR Health & Beauty Systems GmbH
Johnson & Johnson
Evonik Industries AG
Shop Apotheke Europe N. V.
- Advising the seller of the medical care center Nephrologicum Westfalen Dres., Schumann, Knevels, Hoffmann and colleagues on the sale and the contribution to MVZ-GmbHs.
- Advising the Swedish listed life sciences company AddLife AB on the acquisition of the BioCat Group in Germany.
- Comprehensive advice to the Dermaroller Group, a company active in the field of medical and cosmetic microneedling, in particular on sales, competition law, regulations and international expansion.
PPP Rechtsanwälte covers all aspects of healthcare and medical law in the outpatient and inpatient sector, while the team is also experienced in employment, social security, data protection and tax law. Healthcare institutions are advised on the entire value chain, including formation and licensing, M&A, restructuring and litigation. The practice is led by Andreas Penner , Tanja Koopmann-Röckendorf , André Bohmeier (all three in Düsseldorf), Ute Pittrof (Ingolstadt), Felix Reimer (Heilbronn) and Matthias Wallhäuser (Bergisch Gladbach).
Andreas Penner; Felix Reimer; Ute Pittrof; Matthias Wallhäuser; Tanja Koopmann-Röckendorf; André Bohmeier
‘PPP is characterized by an individualised, extremely sustainable and problem-solving oriented attitude.’
‘Ute Pittrof: We appreciate the reliable and professionally excellent approach with an understanding of the specific needs and the independent integration of external expertise.’
‘Very good accessibility, good back office and very fast and clear flow of information in a compact and understandable way.’
Sikomed Unternehmensberatung Göttingen
KMG Kliniken SE
Bergisches Zentrum Kardiologie Angiologie
- Advising KMG Kliniken SE on restructuring in hospital care through concentration, closure and relocation in several federal states.
- Advice and support to Krankenhauszweckverband Rheinland in negotiations with the health insurance companies on the drafting of contracts with hospital pharmacies.
Schmidt, von der Osten & Huber
Schmidt, von der Osten & Huber is experienced in medical and health law and advises hospitals, medical and non-medical service providers and funding agencies on a wide array of issues, including employment and corporate law, transactions and contentious proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
‘The partners have extensive knowledge and experience in health law/sector and are well networked.’
‘The carefully prepared, comprehensive reports are always an excellent basis for decision-making.’
‘Corinna Schmidt-Murra is precise, thorough and easily accessible.’
Alfried Krupp Krankenhaus
Bundesverband der Knappschaftsärzte e.V.
IMEX Dental Gruppe
Klinikum Dortmund gGmbH
Lohmann & Rauscher
Verband der Ruhrknappschaftszahnärzte
Verbund Katholischer Kliniken Düsseldorf
Tsambikakis & Partner Rechtsanwälte
Tsambikakis & Partner Rechtsanwälte is renowned for its expertise in medical criminal law. The team represents hospitals, doctors, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in investigative and criminal proceedings and also advises on preventive compliance matters. The team is jointly led by the founder and commercial, tax and medical criminal law specialist Michael Tsambikakis and the medical law and compliance expert Daniela Etterer.
Other key lawyers:
- Individual defense of a doctor in a preliminary investigation into the allegation of billing fraud by issuing false prescriptions and a cooperation between a hospital pharmacy and a pharmacy that violates social law.
- Advising a supporting municipal hospital on setting up a compliance management system and on all issues related to compliance, such as corruption and billing of hospital services.
von BOETTICHER Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB
von BOETTICHER Rechtsanwälte Partnerschaftsgesellschaft mbB has experience in advising vaccine manufacturers and distributors and also acts on behalf of pharmaceutical corporations, companies and start-ups. The team’s expertise in pharmaceutical advertising law is regularly called upon in contentious proceedings, while capacities in the compliance segment complement this offer. Among the key contacts are Anselm Brandi-Dohrn, who is well versed in contract drafting such as license and cooperation agreements, and pharmaceutical advertising law expert Claudia Böhm, who has additional expertise in the area of vaccines.
Other key lawyers:
‘Dr. Claudia Böhm is characterized by her competence and expertise in pharmaceutical law, in particular drug advertising law.’
‘I appreciate Claudia Böhm’s level-headed, always goal-oriented advice. One of the special features is that she is personally available when you need her, does not make any unnecessary effort and is always to the point.’
Bavarian Nordic GmbH
Belano Medical AG
CellAct Pharma GmbH
EVER Neuro Pharma GmbH (AT); EVER Pharma GmbH (DE); EVER Valinject GmbH (DE)
Gilead Sciences GmbH
LEO Pharma GmbH
Madaus & Lauscher GmbH
Nekonal S.a.r.l. (Lux)
Novozymes Deutschland GmbH
Sanochemia Pharmazeutika GmbH
- Advising and representing a researching, international pharmaceutical company in disputes with various competitors from the vaccine sector such as Pfizer (e.g. about meningococcal vaccines), Seqirus and Mylan (each about flu vaccines), GSK (combined children’s vaccines).
- Advising EVER Neuro Pharma GmbH gg Gerresheimer Group on setting up pharmaceutical production at several Gerresheimer Group locations in Germany and abroad and on supply contracts for drugs and medical devices.
- Advising Gilead Sciences GmbH in competition law disputes with ViiV Healthcare GmbH and Janssen Cilag regarding the introduction of a new combination therapy.
The WilmerHale team is headed by Hans-Georg Kamann, who comprehensively advises on competition, administrative, constitutional and commercial law and acts from Frankfurt and Brussels. The practice encompasses several interface capabilities including data protection issues pertaining to data transfers and clinical studies in the pharmaceutical and medical device sector, as well as the advice on licensing, marketing and distribution agreements, certification of medical devices, antitrust matters and clients' representation in contentious proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
Becton Dickinson GmbH
Bundesinnung der Hörgeräteakustiker (biha)
Bundesverband der pharmazeutischen Industrie (BPI e.V.)
Editas Medicine, Inc.
- Comprehensive advice to Becton Dickinson GmbH on contractual issues and litigation in Germany, including disputes relating to the advertising of medical devices.
- Comprehensive advice to the Bundesinnung der Hörakustiker (biha – Federal Guild of Hearing Aid Acousticians) on contractual issues and on social and reimbursement law for hearing systems as well as on antitrust and medical device law aspects; as well as litigation.
- Successful defense of Medtronic, Inc. in IP litigation regarding a new Medtronic product as well as IP litigation.