Working seamlessly with teams in key locations such as London and Manchester, Browne Jacobson LLP's Nottingham practice has the manpower to advise clients on all aspects of large-scale projects, including regeneration and energy initiatives. Craig Elder, who is based in Nottingham, has over 15 years of experience advising public and private sector clients on PFI and PPP developments, with a particular emphasis on social infrastructure, waste, energy and leisure projects. In a recent highlight, Elder advised Elmbridge District Council on the £20m procurement of an operator to run a major leisure facility in Elmbridge. Anja Beriro specialises in advising clients on government projects, with particular strengths in procurement and outsourcing. Associate Alex Kynoch is also recommended.
Private finance initiative (PFI) in East Midlands
‘Browne Jacobson have been part of the team from the start of the large project they are supporting us on. Having a lead lawyer who really gets under the skin of the development and all associated contracts is one thing, they also show an immense human grasp of the people involved. Outstanding team work at the Browne Jacobson end means other lawyers involved all work through the lead giving a seamless feel.’
‘Stephen Matthew could not be stronger in supporting us.’
‘The legal advice from Stephen Matthew’s team at Browne Jacobson is always pragmatic and in consideration of the outcome the client is seeking to achieve.’
‘Stephen Matthews and Nick Hurley provide consistently sound and pragmatic advice always considering alternatives and detailing processes to assist the client to achieve the desired outcome.’
London Borough of Croydon
London Borough of Enfield
Department of Health
Watford Borough Council
London Borough of Tower Hamlets
Chichester District Council
London Borough of Ealing
Folkestone & Hythe District Council
Winchester City Council
London Borough of Ealing
Nottinghamshire County Council
Rushmoor Borough Council
Elmbridge Borough Council
Dacorum Borough Council
Tandridge District Council
City of Lincoln WGC
- Advising Watford Borough Council on the joint venture between them and Kier in relation to the Watford Riverwell regeneration.
- Advised Walsall Council on the procurement of a strategic partner to implement budget savings.
- Advising Manchester City Council on all aspects of its ambitious city centre district heating project.
Prospect Law Ltd specialises in energy, nuclear power and infrastructure projects and disputes across the country and overseas, providing a full-service offering that combines legal expertise with a team of in-house engineers and economists. Edward de la Billiere focuses primarily on the regulatory and commercial components of major projects in the UK, the UAE and Saudi Arabia. Edmund Robb has a strong track record in disputes regarding public, environmental and planning law, in which he is known to act for private companies and on behalf of the government, depending on the case. Jonathan Leech is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Responsive, generally know our energy and infrastructure specialization very well, and provide good commercial advice that is not bogged down by too much legalese and jargon.’
‘The firm has a tendency to provide highly senior and specialist lawyers at much lower than average prices and without them having unwieldy teams of junior lawyers to manage.’
‘A multidisciplinary team that facilitates the drafting of contracts particularly well.’
Underwater Construction Corporation
Countryside Renewables Capital LLP
Radioactive Material Transport Users Committee (RAMTUC)
- Advising Underwater Construction Corproation, a US company that provides a unique service in the nuclear decommissioning sector, in the form of providing divers who go into and fix pools that are used to store nuclear waste.
- Advising US-funded developer Countryside Renewables Capital on a number of large ground-based PV installations. The firm provides both legal and technical advice on a wide variety of issues, including in relation to regulatory questions surrounding the applicability of subsidy regimes, technical disputes concerning grid connections and the appropriate charges to be made for these by utility companies.
- Provides full legal and company secretarial support to Radioactive Materials Transport Users Committee (RAMTUC), which is seen as the leading industry body for the safe transport of radioactive material. The firm’s role includes providing regular regulatory updates to members to ensure they are fully compliant with all laws that affect their operations when transporting radioactive waste, and are also able to positively influence the development of regulations that affect the sector.
Leveraging its international reach, Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP assists clients with major national and cross-border PFI and PPI projects, with a primary focus on energy and infrastructure. Names to note in Nottingham include principal associate William Spickett, who has over a decade of experience advising clients on transport and energy projects throughout the UK and overseas, such as working with the DfT on rail franchise issues and its recent franchise competition in the East Midlands. Principal associate Mike Turner advises large corporates on global PPP and infrastructure projects.
‘Eversheds Sutherland has never let us down. They provide clear, innovative and thorough advice with an excellent sense of pragmatic business considerations. The firm is fair and transparent about the legal fees and works with us to identify the best fee structure. The service is worth every penny we spent.’
‘Jay Ze in essence stands for the highest quality you can get. Combining his solid legal expertise with his business and political acumen, Jay guides us through challenging legal issues in developed or emerging markets. He goes above and beyond offering proactive commercial advice tailored to the client.’
Pensions Infrastructure Platform
- Advised DHB on its £200m multi-sourced debt financing of the Western Docks Development £70m RCF (NatWest and Lloyds), £55m bond issuance (Allianz Global Investors) and £75m loan from European Investment Bank (“EIB”).
- Advised Glennmont Partners on its acquisition of a 211MW windfarm in Finland, marking its first investment in the Nordic market.
- Advised Lloyds Bank, Macquarie, Nationwide and KFW-Ipez on the refinancing of the Nottingham Street Lighting PFI project with a total value of £46m.
Nelsons Solicitors Limited's Derby practice specialises in energy projects, where it provides full-service advice on matters such as land purchases, employment law and commercial agreements, among others. Practice head Martin Jinks has over 40 years of commercial property experience.