Commercial property: Peterborough in East Anglia
Buckles Solicitors LLP handles all aspects of commercial property and the securitisation of property finance, including development site acquisition and disposal, the administration of property portfolios, landlord and tenant issues, agricultural land transactions, diversification issues such as wind farm and communication mast leases, mineral extraction and landfill development. The property practice, led by social housing and commercial development expert Michael Rabbett, also supports the energy and natural resources practice, and the firm's construction and engineering group. Leading light Colleen Gostick is a specialist in retail and industrial development.
Other key lawyers:
Colleen Gostick; Chris Mundell; Michael Blank
“We work closely with a number of local firms but have historically received a consistently high level of service from Buckles, which hasn’t always been the case with other firms.”
“Colleen Gostick, Michael Blank and Michael Rabbett provide a high level of service and understand exactly what it is the bank requires from its instructions. Importantly for us, the individuals we use are commercially aware of how any particular facet of a transaction can or may impact on the bank and flags it with us accordingly.”
“Colleen Gostick is quick to respond, concise with advice and is always available at short notice. I find her approach very client-orientated and focused.”
“I enjoy working with Michael Blank as he always offers balanced and clear advice in a calm and thoughtful manner.”
“The firm is strong in the commercial property field and is one of the leading firms for specialist commercial property advice.”
“The key issue is speed of response and speed in getting deals across the line which is most important. I know they will deal with matters quickly and are always quick to respond.”
“The firm shows responsiveness, pragmatism, cooperation and the ability to work to defined timelines.”
“Colleen Gostick epitomises the firm’s ethos and is ably supported by Michael Blank and Michael Rabbett.”
- Acted for Devonshire Metro Limited on the development and pre-let of a large industrial unit in Peterborough and the letting of a neighbouring industrial unit before selling both as investment properties to Mayfair Capital, a London based property fund.
- Acted for Devonshire Metro Limited in securing vacant possession of a large listed high street property in High Wycombe from the administrators of Pound World and acquiring trade fixtures and fittings; new lease to Pound Stretcher, including tenant trade fixtures and fittings.
- A share acquisition for Venues Management Limited of a hotel business funded by a simultaneous sale and leaseback of the freehold property owned by the target company to/from a third party.
- A £1.6m site acquisition of 20 affordable units on a larger scheme of development.
- Option agreement for strategic development site; the site was of particular importance to the client in order to safeguard the objective of providing social housing in line with government targets into the next decade.
Greenwoods GRM handles high-value work for clients in the development, investment, financial, education, charitable and food sectors. The firm's portfolio clients include a local property company with more than 100 properties, a major motor dealer with a national portfolio, a nationwide charity, a white goods manufacturer, and a publishing company. Karin Horsley leads the practice, supported by partners Samantha East and Stephen Illingworth. Horsley handles high-value transactions for both UK and overseas clients; East focuses on secured lending in the property sector; and Illingworth frequently acts for developers.
Samantha East; Karin Horsley
Other key lawyers:
Stephen Illingworth; May Ozga; Ann-Marie Clow
“The practice offers a very good service and would be rated as better than other practices we have used.”
“David Woods is very accomplished and skilled and appears to understand the client’s business very well.”
“Samantha East has always made an effort to be available and responds very quickly with excellent advice.”
“Reda Paul dealt very efficiently with a transfer of property for me and, although our interactions were via email or phone, they were conducted with courtesy just as I would expect.”
Japan H.L Ltd
St John Ambulance
RE Evan Farms
Nene Park Trust
- Advising the founders of Barracudas, the UK’s largest operator of activity day camps for children, in obtaining significant development capital investment.
- Supported Fengate Developments in the sale of property to Meadow Foods, including a huge plot of land adjacent to its manufacturing site to create new production facilities.
- Acting in a £1m share sale of Priden (UK) Limited with significant property elements; the transaction involved ten freehold properties and two leasehold properties.
- Acting for a housing developer acquiring a site for residential development.
Hunt & Coombs LLP handles high-value real estate work for businesses, charities and other organisations, as well as individuals. The practice is geared towards landed estates, private clients, institutional lenders, not-for-profit entities, developers and statutory bodies. Practice head Anna Spriggs deals with the sale and acquisition of church, charity and development land, as well as leasehold and freehold commercial sales and purchases. Legal executive Sarah Morris handles landlord and tenant matters, as well as advising both lenders and borrowers on property finance.
Other key lawyers:
Sarah Morris; Olivia Chalmers
“The firm is easy to reach and pleasant to deal with.”
The Peterborough Diocesan Board of Finance
The Chapter of Peterborough Cathedral
East of England Agricultural Society
The IS Group Limited
- Various matters for longstanding client The Peterborough Diocesan Board of Finance, including: complex covenant releases and reverter provision, statutory vesting procedures, disposal of parsonages and land for development, disposal and management of glebe land, commercial leases and licences for church and/or education use – including acquisition of new church sites, promotion agreements, collaboration and option agreements on a number of sites all well in excess of £1m.
- Acquisition of a number of furniture stores on major retail sites for AHF Ltd.
- Promotion agreement for garden village development.
- Triggering of an option agreement for a major development.
- Purchase of a grade II listed property.
Hegarty LLP is highly respected for transactions involving rural land, which include investments, construction and development projects, acquisitions and disposals. The firm also handles a broad range of commercial property work under the guidance of practice head and senior partner Richard Hegarty, who has more than 40 years' experience. Partner Joy Plummer, who is a member of the Agricultural Law Association, is recommended for matters such as sales and acquisitions, landlord and tenant matters, and land law.
Other key lawyers:
Taylor Rose TTKW acts for local developers and lending institutions and in the ten years it has been in Peterborough, the firm has built a growing portfolio of high-value work. Partner Nick Scutt leads the practice and has more than 30 years' experience in commercial property. Among his clients are investors, private and corporate developers, occupiers and their pension or other trust schemes within the real estate sector. Associate Navead Yousaf is the key contact for major lender Santander UK plc.
Other key lawyers:
Regional Developments Ltd
Moda Handbag Ltd
Rotary Building Services Ltd
Priestgate Estates Ltd
- Represented Priestgate Estates Ltd in the £6.5m sale of 50 off-plan apartments.
- Represented Rotary Building Services Ltd in the £2.8m sale of eight off-plan apartments.
- Represented Borehole Solutions Ltd in the transfer of its commercial units to its SIPP.
- Advising landlords from small single properties to extensive portfolios on addressing and resolving those ultimately crucial little details.
- Assisting established client Moda Handbag Limited with acquiring city centre premises comprising apartments.