Employment in Denmark
Mette Klingsten Law Firm
Led by Lise Lauridsen, the practice at Bech-Bruun is recognised for handling complex, employment-related contentious work, including civil lawsuits, arbitration proceedings and industrial arbitrations. The group also fields non-contentious experts, who advise clients on management restructuring issues, mass redundancies, remuneration policies and collective bargaining agreements. Lauridsen also receives a steady flow of instructions related to transfer of undertakings, outsourcing issues and share-based incentive schemes, while Morten Ulrich specialises in public sector employment matters. Sandro Ratkovic is another key practitioner in the team. Thomas Christian Thune departed to Skau Reipurth & Partnere in 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Morten Ulrich; Sandro Ratkovic
Municipality of Copenhagen (Københavns Kommune)
Region Zealand (Region Sjælland)
Danish State Railways (DSB)
Mars Denmark A/S / Royal Canin Danmark A/S
Femern Bælt A/S
Joe & The Juice A/S
Aller Media A/S
Fiskars Danmark A/S
- Assisting the former Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Defence with a re-opened Danish Government commission of inquiry.
- Defending four different public servants against potential claims that they have violated their obligations as civil servants and human rights and Danish law.
- Representing the Finance Federation in bringing an action against the Danish State claiming compensation for inadequate implementation of EU legislation regarding the prohibition against age discrimination.
‘Very knowledgeable and on top of potential regulatory changes’, Horten acts for a broad array of international blue-chip corporations, major Danish companies and large Danish municipalities. The department is experienced in collective agreements and union issues, TUPE legislation work, redundancies, and the employment aspects of M&A transactions. Recently, the team, which is led by Jonas Enkegaard, has seen an uptick in executive liability matters, including work representing CEOs and executive officers in termination procedures and summary dismissals. Marianne Lage left in 2020 to join Poul Schmith.
Other key lawyers:
Finn Schwarz; Erik Wendelboe Christiansen
‘The team is very knowledgeable and on top of potential changes to the regulatory work.’
‘Jonas Enkegaard is very knowledgeable, hands-on and available for calls at all hours if needed.’
‘Erik Wendelboe Christiansen has exceptional knowledge and understanding of our company.’
‘The lawyers at Horten are extremely professional and effective. They always consider the organisational context, in which their legal advice has to be brought into use. They balance pragmatism and rules of law to perfection, and I am always confident in their advice.’
‘The lawyers are very flexible towards tailoring solutions that integrate the resources of my own organisation.’
North Media Group A/S
NNE A/S (previously NNE Pharmaplan A/S, part of the Novo Nordisk Group)
Rynkeby Food (subsidiary of Eckes Granini)
Danish Growth Fund
City of Copenhagen
Dansk Teater (Former TIO) – the employers’ organisation of theatres in Denmark
The Danish Cancer Society
Bain & Company Denmark P/S
- Assisting Bain P/S in relation to all employment matters in Denmark including the harmonisation of terms and conditions.
- Advised the City of Copenhagen on all legal matters pertaining to employment law, and assisted the City with all court cases and all industrial arbitration proceedings regarding employment law.
- Representing the South Denmark Region in a fundamental case concerning the use of different psychiatric measures within the region’s psychiatric ward.
Led by Marianne Granhøj, Kromann Reumert’s practice is ‘excellent at handling complex employment law matters of all kinds, including litigation and arbitration’, leveraging its ‘very strong global network’ on cross-border matters. It is instructed on employment investigations, redundancy disputes, post-termination restraints and workplace discrimination claims. Promoted to director in 2020, Maria Bekke Eiersted specialises in the employment aspects of M&A, TUPE transactions, and outsourcing work, while Claus Juel Hansen is the key name for employment litigation. Clients also single out the group's ability to 'cooperate seamlessly with other practice areas' within the firm, including the data protection and competition departments.
Other key lawyers:
Jens Lund Mosbek; Tina Brøgger Sørensen; Maria Bekke Eiersted; Claus Juel Hansen
‘Kromann Reumert’s partners in the employment team are very experienced and knowledgeable.’
‘Kromann’s employment law practice remains in a league of its own. Led by Marianne Granhøj.’
‘Always accessible and ready to discuss matters. The team is bringing up alternatives and also pros/cons.’
‘I find that Jens Lund Mosbeck and Maria Bekke Eiersted are very engaged in my business and challenges. They are running the extra mile for the results.’
‘They have great engagement and a lot of commitment to solve the case in the best possible way for our company. Easy to get in contact with at any time. They have deep knowledge of the matters which has saved our company for taking a great risk.’
‘They were available at all times, and the matter was discussed and debated in a very good way on a high level.’
Kemp & Lauritzen
Danmarks Nationalbank (the Danish Central Bank)
Jensens Bøfhus A/S
Alm. Brand A/S
Videnskabernes Selskab (Royal Academy of Sciences)
Kilroy International A/S
Johannes Fog A/S
The Municipality of Aarhus
William Cook Europe ApS
Gensam Data A/S
- Acting as interrogator appointed by the Danish Ministry of Justice in the Commission on the Inquiry regarding SKAT (the Danish tax authorities).
- Advising Nordea Bank Denmark on its employment law work, in particular cases at senior management and key employee level and complex disputes.
- Advising Altor on all employment-related aspects within a number of the fund’s portfolio companies, also including advice on a number of cases with significant cross-border elements.
At employment boutique Labora Legal, the partner-driven team focuses on the employment aspects of M&A and more traditional employment matters, including reorganisations, collective bargaining agreements and outsourcing projects. Covid-related matters dominated the team’s workload in 2020, with employee restrictions, state aid issues and work environment mandates as key areas of focus. Tina Reissmann is noted for handling large collective dismissal issues and incentive schemes, Signe Renée West focuses on M&A-related work, and Jeppe Høyer Jørgensen is an experienced litigator and arbitrator. Catrine Søndergaard Byrne also specialises in GDPR and privacy law issues.
Tina Reissmann; Jeppe Høyer Jørgensen; Catrine Søndergaard Byrne; Signe Renée West
‘Top-level legal advice at a fair price. Small boutique firm – but with all the needed capabilities in-house and available. You feel like an important client – and not just one among many…’
‘I work with Tina Reissmann for all employment-related matters. Through a year of many changes, Tina has provided me with legal advice and support at the highest level. Always having the company’s interest in mind but at the same time thinking win-win for both parties. We end up with solid, pragmatic solutions to complex and difficult problems.’
‘Highly experienced lawyers specialising in labour and employment law as well as personal data/GDPR law. The size of the team is small and specialised and your contact point would almost always be directly with the responsible partner/lawyer in question.’
‘Tina Reissmann has advised me for a number of years in a broad sector of complex and varied labour and employment law cases, specifically within executive contracts, settlement and dismissals as well as mass dismissals. Tina has a very pragmatic approach and is always focused on finding good and balanced solutions which are not only legally well-founded and always ‘hold water’ but at the same time strike a good balance for all parties involved and therefore always turn out to bring a solution which is implementable.’
WS Audiology (Widex / Sivantos)
ElTel Networks A/S
Kelsen Group (Ferrero)
Newsec Property Asset Management & Advisory (Stronghold)
NENT – Nordic Entertainment Group (TV3/Viasat)
- Advised Adecco Group on a series of industrial disputes involving a historical claim for salary and wages and claim for breach of a collective agreement for approximately 1500 temps working on the Copenhagen Metro from 2013-2018.
- Assisted Richemont with all employment matters in connection with a store opening in central Copenhagen.
- Assisted Teva with employment law advice relating to a large range of employee-related matters.
'Very proactive and up-to-date with employment law advice', Norrbom Vinding's specialists advise on the full gamut of labour and employment law, acting exclusively for management clients. Particularly active in employment litigation, collective bargaining and collective redundancy processes, the department has additional experience across industrial relations issues, workplace discrimination cases, data protection mandates, tax and social security work, and pension matters. Managing partner Jørgen Vinding, Yvonne Frederiksen, and Christian K. Clasen are key names in the group, which primarily advises clients in the airline, pharmaceuticals, media, finance and public sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Yvonne Frederiksen; Christian K. Clasen; Søren Skjerbek; Torben Mølgaard Hededal; Rikke Falk Dambo
‘I have regularly worked together with Yvonne Frederikson and am very pleased with her practical knowledge and reactivity.’
‘They are very proactive and up-to-date in their employment law advice. They always do their best to promote the clients’ interest.’
‘Yvonne Frederiksen and Rikke Falk Dambo deserve special recognition for their ability to handle complex employment law assignments and lead different employment law-related projects.’
‘Norrbom Vinding is outstanding in all aspects; first of all highly skilled lawyers but also a professional approach, client-focused and hands-on advice.’
‘Good understanding of my company and the issues we have.’
‘In particular, I would like to point out partners Yvonne Frederiksen and Rikke Falk Dambo who are, apart from being very skilled lawyers, extremely engaged, client-focused and nice to work with.’
‘The team solves problems pragmatically, with an eye for economically viable solutions and at the same time legally secure.’
Local Government Denmark (KL)
Danish Railways (DSB)
Carlsberg Breweries A/S
TV 2 Danmark A/S
COOP Danmark A/S
Rambøll Danmark A/S
Arla Foods Group
- Advised the SAS Group on a variety of employment law issues, including strategic advice and issues relating to Covid-19.
- Advised the Arla Foods Group on a wide range of employment law issues, including cross-border employment and social security issues.
- Advised Bispebjerg Hospital on an immediate improvement notice issued by the Danish Working Environment Authority and the related appeal process.
Accura Advokatpartnerselskab advises Danish and international corporations, as well as PE funds, on a range of employment work. It is particularly active in the structuring, drafting and implementation of incentive schemes, and has considerable experience handling employment-related litigation and arbitration. Collective bargaining issues and strategic hiring mandates are other areas of strength for the team, which is jointly led by Morten Langer and the ‘super commercial, responsive and knowledgeable’ Nicolai Hesgaard.
Morten Langer; Nicolai Hesgaard
‘Excellent at helping us consider issues from a business as well as legal perspective. Provide clear advice without a lot of legalese and disclaimers. Good balance of partner/associate use.’
‘Nicolai Hesgaard is super commercial, responsive and knowledgeable.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Fritz Schur Group
Bang & Olufsen
- Successfully represented Akademikernes A-kasse in arbitration proceedings regarding the summary dismissal of the former CEO.
- Successfully represented the former sales director of Danese in injunction proceedings brought by Danese following Birger Christensen’s termination of the agency agreement and its hiring of Nikolaj Kragh.
- Assisted Merck Sharp & Dohme with the Nordic and Baltic legal aspects of the spin-off of products from its Women’s Health, trusted Legacy Brands, and Biosimilars businesses into a new independent, publicly traded company.
Key pillars of Bruun & Hjejle's practice include advising on the employment aspects of M&A and real estate transactions, as well as handling investigations and litigation originating in the firm’s dispute resolution department. Practice head Elise Ross-Hansen has also overseen an uptick in standalone matters including Covid-19-related issues, incentive schemes, business transfers, restructurings, rationalisations and employee-related financial sector regulatory work. Flemming Strømme Martinussen co-leads the practice.
Elise Ross-Hansen; Flemming Strømme Martinussen
‘Bruun & Hjejle was able to provide advice on a highly complicated legal matter involving Spanish and Danish labour law. The flexibility of Bruun & Hjejle to adapt their resources to our different needs has been outstanding.’
‘Elise Ross-Hansen’s commercial knowledge of the industry and pragmatic approach to problems and solutions is exceptional! She is always available and helpful – and possesses great people and stakeholder management skills.’
‘An absolute first-class service from the Bruun & Hjejle practice, I have never worked with such a firm that responds to all our enquiries within 24 hours, is so knowledgeable, and knows exactly what we need and delivers it impeccably.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable and manages to make all the legal talk understandable. They make the client a priority and have often assisted in urgent matters with little or no notice.’
‘I have mainly had contact with Elise. She is extremely capable with a large area of expertise. We have appreciated her advice and guidance through some complicated processes.’
‘Customer-oriented, service-minded and always goes that extra mile. Great respect for busy schedules with clients.’
‘Trustworthiness, thoroughness, helpfulness and authoritative. Fast reactions and prioritises the clients needs first every time.’
‘Can represent the organisation in a neutral way, including delivering information to employees concerned.’
‘They are very commercial, to the point and very solution focused.’
‘Elise Ross-Hansen is very keen to understand the business and the specific needs and then extremely good at finding an appropriate solution.’
Danske Bank A/S
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners (CIP)
Danske Shoppingcentre, owned by ATP and Danica Pension
Salini Impregilo S.p.A./Copenhagen Metro Team (CMT)
Ganni (owned by L Catterton)
Waterland Private Equity Fund III C.V.
COP (Copenhagen Offshore Partners A/S)
HMN Naturgas I/S
Dampskibsselskabet NORDEN A/S
- Advising Danske Bank on employment and labour issues related to several investigations.
- Advising NREP on incentive schemes, co-investment, retention and other contractual terms in connection with the establishment of a long-term strategic partnership with Novo Holdings, along with a substantial capital injection from Novo Holdings.
- Advised Amgen Inc., a listed US-based biotechnology company, on a range of employment related issues, including handling the Covid-19 pandemic, restructurings, incentive schemes and company policies.
Gorrissen Federspiel primarily focuses on the employment elements of IPOs and M&A; it also handles redundancies, executive management remuneration matters and international and EU employment mandates, particularly in the transportation sector. Jacob Sand leads the team, which also advises on day-to-day employment matters and leverages the firm's new HR chatbot, HuRa, which answers employee questions concerning the new Danish Holiday Act. The group has recently focused on Covid-19 issues, including compensation schemes, split work arrangements and pay reductions. In late 2019, former co-head Morten Skjønnemand left the group.
Other key lawyers:
Ditte Grundtvig Larsen; Sabine Brandhøj Overgaard
‘I believe that the company has an international approach and they have in-depth knowledge of EU law, which means that they are able to juggle the EU based employment law matters in a way that only few others are.’
‘Ditte Grundtvig Larsen: Ditte has a dedicated approach to all matters – big and small. She is good at taking all aspects of a case into consideration – the legal aspects (naturally), but also how things will be perceived by the employee and the outside world. This means that her advice is always to the point and creates great value for clients.’
‘Jacob Sand – Jacob’s knowledge and experience with EU law is quite unique and he also has a high degree of intellectual curiosity. Jacob is good at ensuring that things do not become bigger than they need to be.’
HBO Europe (WarnerMedia a part of AT&T)
Bang & Olufsen
Star Air A/S
GN Store Nord
Sunclass Airlines (former Thomas Cook)
Novo Nordisk Fonden
Equinor (former Statoil)
The Danish Chamber of Commerce (Dansk Erhverv)
Associated Danish Ports
- Assisted SEAS-NVE with the purchase and the integration of the power distribution company Radius from the largest Danish energy company Ørsted.
- Assisted the Scandinavian part of the Thomas Cook group in connection with the disposal of i.a. Spies (Denmark), Ving (Sweden), and Tjäreborg (Finland) to a consortium of Strawberry Group, Altor, and TDR Capital and with the establishment and sale to the same consortium of the Thomas Cook Airlines Scandinavia successor airline, SunClass Airlines.
- Acted for FOA in the first-ever trial brought before the Danish courts and the Court of Justice of the EU regarding discrimination on the grounds of obesity.
Jointly led by private law expert Henriette Stakemann and public law specialist Lise Høy Falsner, Plesner focuses on the employment aspects of M&A as well as incentive issues including equity compensation plans and cash-based bonus schemes. Working closely with the firm’s corporate and data protection departments, it assists a mixture of listed blue-chips, private companies, government agencies and regional authorities on employment mandates including the negotiation of post-restructuring and post-outsourcing employment contracts, and litigation and arbitration proceedings. At senior associate level, Rasmus Høj Christensen is the key name to note.
Henriette Stakemann; Lise Høy Falsner
Other key lawyers:
Rasmus Høj Christensen
‘Correct, pragmatic and solution-oriented.’
‘Top quality, practical advice, very responsive. Nice people to work with. Top team.’
‘Good insight into employment matters, incentive pay and long term incentive plans.’
‘Henriette Stakemann has a deep insight into this area and at the same time has a great deal of practical knowledge.’
‘Strong team with various backgrounds and skillsets. Plesner is a highly trusted advisor, and someone we use frequently. Where they stand out compared to others is their commercial mindset.’
‘Besides being commercial in their approach, the individuals we work with are transparent and honest, providing advisory services that are actually value-add to us.’
EKF Danmarks Eksportkredit (Denmark’s Export Credit Agency)
Ferguson plc / Stark Group
Marlin Equity Partners
Stronghold / Newsec
A.P. Moller – Maersk
Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets
Yokogawa Electric Corporation
- Advised QVARTZ on the employment-related aspects of Bain & Company’s acquisition of the company.
- Advised Charles River Laboratories on the collective redundancy procedure following the closure of its activities in Denmark, whereby approximately 120 out of the company’s 130 employees will be made redundant.
- Advised Symphogen A/S on the sale of shares in Symphogen to Les Laboratoires Servier.
Recognised by clients as a ‘go-to lawyer for employment law issues’, Nina Wedsted heads up DLA Piper Denmark’s team, which has expertise spanning the employment elements of M&A transactions, outsourcing mandates, incentive schemes, data protection issues, union-related matters and collective agreements. Regularly instructed by multinational employers, the group also handles contentious employment matters, including litigation, injunctions and arbitration proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
‘Nina Wedsted is one of – if not the – go-to lawyer for employment law issues. Her service level is high, her knowledge is always up-to-date, and she delivers also on the commercial side.’
‘It is my experience that the team is highly competent and I always feel comfortable asking for advice and help. Their service is quick, to the point and what I especially appreciate is their focus on the business perspective of what we do and want to achieve.’
‘Especially working with Daniel Markussen has been a pleasure! Daniel Markussen stands out in his approach to an issue and his very quick catching the real essence of a problem. As well, Daniel Markussen provides well founded views to an issue supporting us to make the best decision in a case.’
‘The team is very well structured, very quick in their advice and actions with a very deep knowledge of labour law matters in Denmark. All of them are very friendly and pleasant to work with.’
‘Nina Wedsted is a very experienced lawyer and one of the most knowledgeable lawyers I have come across. She helped us immensely in our case in Denmark and she was always available throughout a very intense process. She helped not only with her labour law knowledge but also through her connections in the industry.’
KMD A/S (NEC Corporation)
DB Cargo A/S
Jaco Supermarkeder A/S
Heerema Marine Contractors Nederland SE
- Acted for Heerema Marine Contractors Nederland SE on obtaining Danish work permits for the 200+ non-EU employees.
- Defended Medicolink in a case against the trade union HK (the Union of Commercial and Clerical Employees) concerning the interpretation of the so-called 120-day rule in the Danish Salaried Employees Act.
- Acted for NEC Corporation on the purchase of KMD A/S.
‘Very tech-oriented and modern law firm’ IUNO attracts praise for ‘always trying to be at the forefront of developments’; clients benefit from the firm's IUNO+ membership option, giving clients access to an extensive Nordic HR database called HR-wiki. Practice head Anders Etgen Reitz regularly advises Nordic clients on business transfers, redundancies, restructuring measures, personal employee data issues and health and safety regulations.
Anders Etgen Reitz
‘Fast, responsive team with a truly international outlook. Anders Etzen Reitz has a genuine curiosity to explore new models including tech and cultural openness to learning new methods.’
‘Very tech-oriented and modern law firm. Always trying to be at the forefront of developments.’
‘Anders Etgen Reitz is very knowledgeable, understands the technical part in company issues and hence has the capability to provide the right legal solution.’
‘They are highly skilled but also relaxed and easy to work with.’
Noted for its extensive track record in public employment issues, Poul Schmith's practice is jointly headed up by recent hires Jonas Blegvad Jensens and Marianne Lage, who joined from Kromann Reumert and Horten respectively in early 2020. Primarily acting for state and semi-state bodies, the group has particular expertise in workplace discrimination and equal treatment disputes, regulations relating to civil servants, and general public employment mandates.
Jonas Blegvad Jensen; Marianne Lage
‘Jonas Blegvad Jensen understands the need to give high-quality advice in a practical way which solves problems.’
‘Jonas’ down to earth and easy-to-work-with approach makes life easier as a client. You get usable advice that solves problems.’
‘We have experienced fast communications and competent answers to our queries and for us, speed and quality are very crucial factors.’
Banedanmark (the Danish Rail Transport Agency)
Norwegian Air Shuttle branch in Denmark
The Danish Building and Property Agency (a branch of the Ministry of Transport, Building and Housing)
APM Terminals Aarhus A/S
University of Southern Denmark
Bispebjerg and Frederiksberg Hospital
Norwegian Air Shuttle AS
Agency for Data Supply and Efficiency
Danish Ministry of Defence Personnel Agency
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark
- Acting for The Danish Rail Transport Agency in a case concerning potential corruption, misconduct and legal incapacity in the organisation.
- Assisting the Danish branch and three subsidiary companies of the listed company Norwegian Air Shuttle AS during the Covid-19 pandemic, including leading negotiations with the union of the cabin crew and two unions of the pilots to enter into agreements to reduce costs and salaries.
- Advising the Danish Building and Property Agency on the “second wave” of the States Facility Management project involving 55 state agencies and institutions.
Lund Elmer Sandager has experience in collective and individual employment law issues, with notable expertise in the financial services sector. Practice head Michael Møller Nielsen regularly advises corporations on collective bargaining agreements, remuneration issues and pension fund-related matters. Another name to note is Julie Flindt Rasmussen, who also handles contract matters, reorganisations and GDPR-related mandates. The group also has a track record in complex employment law disputes.
Michael Møller Nielsen
Other key lawyers:
Julie Flindt Rasmussen
‘This firm is exceptional. Advice is second to none along with the quality. Working with this firm is really an extension of our own business which not all firms can get right.’
‘The team at LES is constantly available, honest and to the point. We always sense that we and our clients get our money’s worth, and more, when engaging LES.’
‘Julie Flindt Rasmussen demonstrates interest in our business, ensures prompt delivery of high-quality advice and in her engagement with us and our clients she is guiding, to the point and maintains the personal element.’
‘Lund Elmer Sandager have been a strong asset throughout the time we have used them as our legal counsel. They are always willing to help no matter the hour and their expertise is unlike any other legal company I have worked with.’
‘They provide employment law advice right on the spot. Meaning that when I ask for an analysis of a Danish labour law question I get exactly the right amount of support.’
‘Julie Flint Rasmussen is very professional and is exceptional at providing results and solutions.’
PPG Industries Scandinavia
The Food and Agriculture Council
B. Braun Medical A/S
- Acted for Metro Therm in an instant dismissal case before the High Court.
- Assisting a former management member at NETS who was forced to exit a management investment bonus programme.
- Assisted Globalisation Partners with establishing a presence in Denmark and drafting employment contracts for employees in Denmark, as well as setting up ongoing HR assistance and administration services.
SIRIUS advokater handles the employer and employee aspects of employment law issues. Pernille Backhausen leads the ‘sharp, fast, attentive, devoted and on-point' team, which has a track record in investigations, litigation, mediation and arbitration proceedings relating to severance agreements and the termination of employment contracts. The employment group was bolstered in 2020 by the arrivals of Peter Breum and Jacob Goldschmidt from Elmer & Partnere Advokater.
Other key lawyers:
Benjamin Lundström; Peter Breum; Jacob Goldschmidt; Marc Malmbak
‘Sharp, fast, attentive, devoted and on point.’
‘Marc Malmbak is exceptionally attentive to the details of every situation, we have consulted him through many years for the establishment of several companies, a foundation and projects and issues of many kinds. He solved all tasks with strong engagement and always on point.’
Roskilde Festival and Roskilde Festival Charity Society
BLS Capital Group
The Danish School for Authors
SAS Institute A/S
PROSA labour union
The Danish Institute of Arbitration
The Danish Mediation Institute
The Danish Court Administration
The Danish Arbitration Board
IDA – The Danish Society of Engineers
DJØF (trade union within the areas of law, economics and more)
Foreningen af Speciallæger
Frie Skolers Lærerforneing
- Advised Dansk Live on all employment-related matters for its 150 members relating to festivals and music venues during the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Advised Roskilde Festival on all employment-related matters, including matters relating to independent contractors.
- Advised BLS Capital Group on all matters relating to employment law, HR strategic issues as well as financial employment-related matters.
While particularly active in 2020 with Covid relief advice, corporate restructurings and mass redundancies, Clemens has extensive experience across a wide range of areas. Team co-head Tommy Angermair has additional expertise in bonus and share-based remuneration schemes and the employment aspects of M&A and outsourcing transactions, while fellow practice head Mette Neve is a ‘first-rate’ contentious employment expert.
Tommy Angermair; Mette Neve
‘I work closely with Mette Neve and she always provides excellent legal advice and sparring. She is very engaged and reverts asap on queries.’
‘Incredibly user friendly. Tommy Angermair and his team are so commercial and responsive.’
‘Tommy is just fantastic. It’s so helpful that he’s a leading expert in data protection issues as well. He really understands international businesses.’
‘Mette Neve is a first-class attorney whom we trust with all our employment cases. She has the ability to transform heavy legal terms into terms we can understand. Our experience from court cases is that she demonstrates calmness, overview, detailed memory and a convincing rhetoric.’
‘Tommy Angermair is exceptional. Highly engaging, pays attention and really seeks to understand your individual business to provide appropriate solutions and advice. Very practical and pragmatic advice to deliver results.’
‘Mette Neve is a very committed and professional lawyer with very high integrity. She engages in her client, a good listener, very thorough and a true expert in her field.’
‘Mette provides timely, accurate, efficient and professional counsel, her extensive knowledge and experience in employment law and focused attention to detail is impeccable, leaving no stone unturned.’
‘The main thing for me is the responsiveness and the relentless work around the clock to help you as a client. If you need to get something done here and now in a quality way this is your firm.’
Heidrick & Struggles
Flying Tiger Copenhagen
Work & Co
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) Vestas Offshore Wind
- Advised a major multinational airline on the Danish employment law aspects of a group-wide restructuring exercise.
- Assisted a major multinational biotech company with the Danish employment law aspects of a group-wide restructuring exercise.
- Assisting a notable international real estate investor with the review of certain legal aspects of its new group-wide management long term incentives plan as well as the related implementation.
With advice in 2020 encompassing COVID-19 relief packages and the new Danish Holiday Act, Lundgrens acts for a varied client list of listed companies, executives, public authorities, SMEs and organisations. Anne Marie Abrahamson leads the group, which also advises on recruitment and dismissal issues, executive employment work, share-based remuneration schemes, post-termination restrictions and workplace discrimination disputes.
Anne Marie Abrahamson
Other key lawyers:
Marie Louise Aagaard
‘Very good employment law advice – both from a theoretical and practical perspective. They always give sound and commercially viable advice.’
‘The employment law partner at Lundgrens I use is always responsive and gives quick feedback and advice. She has great experience and can relate to other cases she has been involved in and so far, disputes she has been involved in on our side have given the results she predicted.’
‘They know us very well and helps us with many different aspects of legal matters. They are quick to respond.’
Amazon UK Services Limited
AON Denmark A/S
Løgismose Meyer Group ApS
Stryker AB, Danish branch
Danish Multiple Sclerosis Society
Paul Smith ApS
Eltel Networks A/S
- Advising Amazon UK Services Limited on all aspects of Danish employment law.
- Advising fashion brand Paul Smith ApS on all aspects of Danish employment law, including assisting the company with expanding the business in Denmark.
- Represented SMIT Subsea Europe B.V. in a court case against the Danish tax authorities relating to the status of the divers from an employment/tax law perspective.
Magnusson Advokatfirma handles ‘complex multi-jurisdictional legal issues at a highly professional level’. Tom Froberg's team acts for a diverse roster of employer clients, ranging from SMEs to listed companies. Recently, it has been active in advising on share-based incentive schemes, the negotiation of collective agreements, Covid-19 issues, mass redundancies, collective bargaining work, restructuring projects and employment contracts.
‘Magnusson’s team can solve complex multi-jurisdictional legal issues at a high professional level and they can do it fast. The service they provide us is always of top quality and the team works very smoothly and efficiently.’
‘The team is great at explaining how it works in Denmark and have been very helpful with the transition and changes to the Holiday Act.’
‘Tom Froberg is brilliant – makes himself available at short notice and has a brilliant sense of humour. I will always take any Danish matters to him.’
Global PEO Services
Wuhan Troowin Power Systems
Royal Air Maroc
Brandiators Holding ApS
IRD Fuel Services
IVC Acquisition (Evidensia)
AVIA Solutions Group
Polaric Semiconductor IVS
Illinois Tool Works
Cornerstone OnDemand Ltd.
GF Money Consumer Finance OY
Fremad Amager Elite
LA Travel Denmark A/S
- Advising Brambles Group on employment work for the legal entities of the global listed company, Brambles Enterprises Limited.
- Advised AVIA Solutions Group on the support packages the Danish Government had introduced as a result of the outbreak of Covid-19 and the closure of the airline traffic, including how to carry out a contemplated mass redundancy.
- Advised Areas/Elior on the support packages the Danish Government introduced as a result of the outbreak of Covid-19 and the closure of the airline traffic.
NJORD Law Firm's practice, which is headed up by Miriam Michaelsen, specialises in the employment aspects of M&A transactions, the implementation of incentive schemes, restructurings and outsourcing issues, most notably for Nordic and German clients. Another key practitioner is Anders Worsøe, who is frequently instructed on collective bargaining issues.
Other key lawyers:
LSG Sky Chefs Group
Daiichi Sankyo Oncology Europe GmbH
Gerry Weber Denmark ApS & Gerry Weber Group, Germany
REMS GmbH & Co. KG and their Danish subsidiary REMS Scandinavia A/S
Star Inc. (former Cogniance, Inc.)
Sennheiser HQ and Sennheiser Nordic A/S
Advanced Energy Industries and Danish subsidiary LumaSense Technologies A/S
Teknos OY and Danish subsidiary Teknos A/S
- Advised Daiichi Sankyo Oncology Europe GmbH on employment law issues in connection with setting-up its operations in all the Nordic countries, and ongoing employment law advice to support its operations in the Nordics.
- Providing ongoing employment advice, including labour dispute resolution and restructuring support, to Gerry Weber Denmark ApS.
- Providing ongoing legal advice on employment matters in Denmark to Star Inc.
Skau Reipurth & Partnere advises its client roster on restructurings, mass redundancies, and employment-related transactions. It also represents a variety of clients in litigation, with notable expertise in claims regarding the interpretation of collective agreements and terminations. Former practice co-head Frederik Brocks left the team in 2020 to co-found KPMG Law Advokatfirma and was replaced by transactional expert Thomas Christian Thune, who joined from Bech-Bruun. Fellow co-head Bo Enevold Uhrenfeldt is also a key name to note.
Bo Enevold Uhrenfeldt; Thomas Christian Thune
‘Very competent, easy to deal with, accurate with speedy delivery.’
‘All individuals that I have had the pleasure to work with have been exceptional, delivering high-quality legal documents and creating a feeling of utmost reassurance. I specifically want to point out Bo Enevold Uhrenfeldt as outstanding to work with!’
Potter Clarkson LLP
Total Exploration and Production Denmark A/S (earlier Mærsk Olie og Gas A/S)
Total Upstream Danmark A/S
The Association of Danish Physiotherapists
KPMG Acor Tax
Maersk Tankers A/S
A.P. Møller Holding A/S
Pack Tech A/S
Danish Dental Association
Mærsk Drilling A/S
Servicefirmaet Renell A/S
A.P. Møller – Mærsk A/S
Nordic Sugar A/S
- Advised Total on a large-scale reorganisation in connection with the closure of the Tyra production platform in the North Sea.
- Represented the Danish Dental Organisation in arbitration proceedings against HK (Denmark’s largest union for salaried employees) concerning the interpretation of a collective agreement.
- Acting for the Association of Danish Physiotherapists in a number of cases on behalf of the association’s members concerning employment law matters including terminations.
Led by Søren Narv Pedersen, Bird & Bird Advokatpartnerselskab’s team has seen an uptick in local and multi-jurisdictional reorganisations, redundancies and business transfers, including assisting with trade union consultations and employee terminations. During the Covid-19 crisis, the group provided clients with advice on mass redundancies, furloughing and applications to salary compensation packages.
Søren Narv Pedersen
Other key lawyers:
‘They don’t spend unnecessary time calibrating, as they know and trust each other’s competencies.’
‘Søren Narv Pedersen is both a subject matter expert, a play-maker in the way he uses his team, a sparring partner, and he always finds time for you and makes you feel important, even though you are a small client.’
‘My primary reason for working with Bird & Bird is Mr Søren Narv Pedersen, who has assisted on us several cases with great success. He is a true specialist, an excellent litigator and has a good understanding of our business.’
Dentsu Aegis Network
Tiger of Sweden
Hotri Storkøkken A/S
Dansk Ornitologisk Forening
Phoenix Contact A/S
Constructel GmbH, Constructel ApS, Viatel S.A. (group of companies under Artifel – Grupo Visabeira)
- Assisted Trustpilot with a mass Covid-19 project, including restructuring, Government aid and other people-related cost-saving measures.
- Assisted Mastercard in relation to the acquisition of the clearing services from NETS.
Henrik Græsdal leads the team at Elmann, which handles an assortment of non-contentious and contentious matters including Danish Holiday Act issues, employment contracts, redundancies, incentive schemes and severance agreements. In addition, the group assists with the establishment and operation of whistleblower hotlines and represents clients in investigations, litigation and arbitration proceedings.
‘The team delivers the work that my organisation asked for, fast and with a very high quality. They possess a key capacity in terms of knowing all about cross-sectoral collaboration, private-public partnerships, what we should be aware of as possible barriers and when to take a calculated risk. This allows my organisation to perform and create unique results on solid legal ground.’
‘We work together with Henrik Græsdahl and his team; Henrik always starts a new job by giving you a phone call to understand every aspect and to clear expectations. This makes me very safe as a customer, and things have always been delivered on time.’
Regional authority for Southern Denmark
The Municipality of Thisted
ID Film S.M.B.A
Nomad Digital Limited
The Municipality of Sorø
The Municipality of Albertslund
- Representing The Municipality of Thisted in litigation relating to an occupational injury.
- Representing the Region of Southern Denmark in two disputes relating to occupational injuries.
- Advising Nomad Digital Limited on Danish holiday law.
Mazanti-Andersen primarily advises mid-size companies but also has experience representing CEOs and managers. The team's expertise ranges from drafting policies for company handbooks to handling disputes to advising on updates to the Danish Holiday Act. Susanne Ingemann and Mette Gahrn-Jensen jointly lead the department, which has seen an uptick in work associated with the Covid-19 pandemic, including assisting with salary compensation packages, zero-hour contracts and dismissals.
Susanne Ingemann; Mette Gahrn-Jensen
Syneron-Candela/ Ellipse A/S
Copenhagen Contemporary Fondren
Infare Solutions A/S
Maui Jim Nordic
Kaleido Technologies ApS
- Advised Maui Jim Nordic AB on various employment law issues, including the implementation of the Danish Holiday Act and helping the client navigate the Salary Compensation Scheme introduced during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Assisted the HR Manager of NORDUnet with an overall update of employment documents, including those pertaining to the Danish Holiday Act.
- Advising Copenhagen Contemporary Fondren on various employment issues, especially those arising from the Covid-19 outbreak.
Pernille Nørkær and senior associate Poul Guo jointly lead Moalem Weitemeyer's team, which has extensive experience assisting its client base with management incentive schemes. In close collaboration with the firm’s M&A department, it also advises on the employment aspects of M&A transactions, with additional experience in litigation, restructurings, redundancies and data protection issues.
Pernille Nørkær; Poul Guo
‘They have in-depth knowledge of the start-up landscape.’
Envision Energy (Denmark) ApS
North-East Venture ApS
Shape Robotics ApS
Birger Christensen A/S
Espresso House A/S
Permobil Danmark A/S
Lars Larsen Watches A/S
GN Store Nord A/S
FC Nordsjælland A/S
DAY Birger Et Mikkelsen A/S
Chr. Olesen A/S
Littebits Electronic Inc.
Zwilling J. A. Henckels Scandinavia A/S
Taipei Representative Office in Denmark
Reflexis Systems Inc.
Blue Cell Therapeutics ApS
President Institute A/S
Astralis Group A/S
Triple Ring Technologies, Inc.
Charlton Morris ApS
- Advised Goodiebox Holding ApS on the establishment of three different management incentive schemes.
- Advised Axcel Management A/S on the acquisition of Phase One Imaging Holdings Limited and assisted with its management incentive program.
- Advised Envision Energy (Denmark) ApS on the restructuring of its HR organisation across the group (especially in Denmark and Germany).