'Without a doubt, the best for free competition in Chile', full-service legal giant Carey is widely respected for its constant participation in Chile's most significant antitrust cases before the Antitrust Court (Tribunal de la Libre Competencia/TDLC), and the Supreme Court, as well as for investigations before the National Economic Prosecutor (Fiscalía Nacional Económica/FNE). The sizeable 18-member antitrust group also has broad expertise in the antitrust aspects of M&A deals; assists with compliance and regulatory matters; and is well known for its strong relationships with the local authorities. Leading the practice are Claudio Lizana, who has vast experience in litigating before the TDLC and Supreme Court, and in assisting with FNE merger-control processes; and current director of the Centre for Antitrust Studies of the Universidad Católica de Chile, Lorena Pavic, who is 'undoubtedly an exceptional antitrust lawyer'. Notable associate-level support is provided by José Pardo (antitrust, regulatory matters, administrative law and litigation); however, former senior Virginia Rivas left the firm in March 2020.
Competition and antitrust in Chile
Claudio Lizana; Lorena Pavic
‘It is strategic, committed and proactive – without a doubt, the best for free competition in Chile.‘
‘They understand a number of markets with exceptional depth and clarity, and they manage to give practical, fast and concrete solutions to complex situations.‘
‘Great for their ability to simplify the complex and a team that knows the realities of our business; they also have a good overview of the market, which is extremely useful – we consider them part of our team.‘
‘Claudio Lizana’s team is characterised by professionalism, as well as good and timely external support service.‘
‘Lorena Pavic and her team are bright, committed, available, versatile and creative.’
‘Lorena Pavic is committed, brilliant, accessible, efficient, effective, transmits certainty, and builds bonds of trust, all of which are supported by serious, meticulous work.‘
‘Lorena Pavic is undoubtedly an exceptional antitrust attorney; she has complete vision and is able to see the different consequences of one or another decision. She is also always up to date on subjects and capable of generating consensus during difficult scenarios.‘
‘Associate José Pardo is extremely detailed, proactive and with a business vision that allows him to make correct, fast and efficient decisions.‘
Mitsui O S K Lines
Fresenius Kabi Chile
- Defended Fresenius Kabi Chile (FKC) and Laboratorios Sanderson (LS) before both the Antitrust Court and Supreme Court in a case brought by the FNE concerning alleged bid rigging and collusion between FKC, LS and Laboratorios Biosano.
- Defended Cencosud against an FNE antitrust claim involving the alleged participation in a hub-and-spoke cartel with the other two main supermarket chains in Chile (Walmart Chile and SMU).
- Acted for BCI before the Antitrust Court in a lawsuit submitted by three cryptocurrency exchanges against ten Chilean banks for an alleged exclusionary practice and collective abuse of dominant position.
Full-service legal powerhouse Claro & Cia. houses an 18-strong, market-leading team that, in addition to providing general advice on business structuring and regulatory compliance, consistently acts in high-profile cases involving horizontal and vertical integration, collusion and price discrimination (among other matters). The practice also plays an active role in some of Chile's most prominent merger-control filings and settlement agreements, with clients benefiting from the firm's close interaction with the antitrust authorities. Heading up the department are Cristóbal Eyzaguirre, whose areas of sector expertise include financial services, fintech, TMT, insurance and retail; and José Miguel Huerta, whose experience includes high-level government proceedings and investigations involving mergers and cartels. A second line of experienced advisers includes litigation, arbitration and antitrust specialist Santiago Bravo (made up to partner as of January 2020); and at associate level, Álvaro Vives (cartels, abuse of dominance, merger control and regulatory issues), Juan Pablo Celis (government enforcement proceedings and investigations), and Tomás Kreft (antitrust, regulatory matters and litigation).
Cristóbal Eyzaguirre; José Miguel Huerta
Compañía Sudamericana de Vapores
Latam Airlines Group
Empresas CMPC / CMPC Tissue
Asociación Nacional de Fútbol Profesional
Compañía Cervecerías Unidas
Entel PCS Comunicaciones
Banco Itaú Corpbanca
- Acted for CSAV in a leniency application before Chile’s Antitrust Agency, as well as in an administrative proceeding before the US Department of Justice and the European Commission, among other matters.
- Ongoing assistance and advisory to Latam Airlines regarding antitrust matters.
- Assisted CMPC with a leniency procedure before the Chilean Antitrust Agency, following the headline tissue-paper-market cartel.
'The best free competition law firm in Chile', FerradaNehme's 21-member competition practice is one of the largest and most specialised in the country; it participates in some of the market's most significant investigations and antitrust litigation, as well as assisting with voluntary procedures, M&A clearance, compliance, and anti-dumping and safeguard matters. The practice fields three 'standout' partners in Nicole Nehme (over 25 years' experience in competition and regulatory law); the 'exceptional' Benjamín Mordoj (recently focused on the interaction between competition law and new technologies); and Diego Hernández (complex litigation before the TDLC). Clients also benefit from the group's consistent collaboration with the firm's litigation, telecoms and public law practices. Josefina Campos remains associate practice director and has witnessed notable growth in 2020 with four lawyers joining the group: of counsel Carolina Oñate (hired from the TDLC); and associates Bárbara Galetovic and Sergio Fuentealba (both previously at the FNE) and Gonzalo Villazón (recruited from Núñez Muñoz Abogados). Additional internal boosts included Raffaela Corte and Beatriz Hidalgo re-joining as senior associates after completing their LLMs in the UK, and the May 2021 elevation of Mabel Ahumada (at the FNE until 2018) and litigator Tomás Pérez to the partnership.
Nicole Nehme; Benjamín Mordoj; Diego Hernández
‘The best free competition law firm in Chile, with true experts in antitrust issues – a firm that inspires confidence.‘
‘Capable, of quick responses and always ready to resolve issues quickly.‘
‘Standout partners with associates that are also very capable.‘
‘Flexibility and ability to adapt to clients’ needs.‘
‘Able quickly to resolve the basic questions so as to speed up negotiations, but at the same time carry out in-depth analysis of complex issues that merit extensive review and cross-sectional teams.‘
‘Benjamín Mordoj is exceptional in his constant support during all types of internal consultations and presentations and responses to FNE letters. He adapts to new scenarios as a result of new regulations (where there is no jurisprudence), and his advice is accurate.‘
‘Mabel Ahumada complements the team very well through her assistance with more practical issues.‘
‘Nicole Nehme, Benjamín Mordoj and Mabel Ahumada work well as a team, with their responsibilities well divided, and they are clear in defining the expectations and scope of their work. They also have experience in economic matters, which is scarce in lawyers.‘
Delta Air Lines
Liberty Latin America
Compañía Siderúrgica Huachipato
LG Electronics (Chile )
Ferrocarril del Pacífico
- Advised Delta Air Lines on the negotiation of several remedies with the Chilean Antitrust Agency, in relation to its acquisition of a participation in Latam Airlines Group.
- Representing Cargill before the Chilean Antitrust Court in a significant pending Chilean cartel case.
- Represented Transbank before the Chilean Antitrust Court in a number of cases.
Pellegrini & Rencoret Abogados
Following the departure of former partner Fransciso Blavi in mid-2020, boutique law firm Pellegrini & Cía. reorganised itself as Pellegrini & Rencoret Abogados, with experienced litigator Diego Ramos subsequently promoted to the partnership in November 2020. The specialised seven-strong competition/antitrust team is expert in cases and investigations involving exclusionary practices, cartels, mergers and regulatory proceedings; it also consistently assists with the design of compliance programmes. Currently a member of the Competition Board of the Universidad Católica Law School, Julio Pellegrini has substantial experience in antitrust cases, including major victories before the Supreme Court; while Pedro Rencoret is a specialist in exclusionary practices, cartel investigations and mergers. Recent highlights saw the pair represent Vitapro (a multinational fish feed producer) in a major cartel case before the TDLC. At associate level, senior María Jesús Cifuentes and intermediate Fernando Gazzella are well-respected antitrust litigators.
Julio Pellegrini; Pedro Rencoret
‘Great teamwork – there is always someone available to support clients and their emergencies.‘
‘What makes this firm stand out is teamwork, being success oriented, constant client support (24-hours a day, 7-days a week), and very respectful and friendly treatment.‘
‘What differentiates this firm is the personalised attention, with high professional and knowledge levels, as well as permanent support and advice during decision making.‘
‘Unique for being true specialists – their level of knowledge about this area is maximum.‘
‘They are proactive in disclosing relevant aspects (even without being consulted), and they get to know the client’s business very well – they speak the “same language” as their clients.‘
‘Julio Pellegrini and Pedro Rencoret are agile, proactive and available lawyers, and they quickly gain clients’ confidence to communicate frankly and directly.’
‘Pedro Rencoret and Julio Pellegrini both have high degrees of legal knowledge and are very committed, with quick responses and client support.‘
‘Julio Pellegrini attends clients directly, unlike other law firms where clients are often passed on.‘
Feifan Chile / Changshu Feifan Metalwork
China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Machinery and Electronic Products
- Assisting Solvtrans Chile with a collusion complaint, which was filed against six competitors and their trade association, and is (reportedly) the first collusion suit filed by a private party before the TDLC.
- Acting for Farmacias Ahumada in a series of proceedings, which concerned the fees applied to the use of credit and debit cards.
- Assisting Vitapro Chile with a cartel case, which was commenced by the FNE before the TDLC.
Baker McKenzie Chile
Enjoying longstanding relationships with antitrust regulators, local governments and international organisations, Baker McKenzie Chile's six-strong team is best known for its work on complex multi-jurisdictional merger control, global cartels, antitrust compliance and competition litigation. Clients particularly benefit from the firm's extensive network, which affords access to economists and support lawyers globally, as well as specialised antitrust databases such as PaRR and Mlex Antitrust. Rodrigo Díaz de Valdés heads the dispute resolution and antitrust practice groups; with key support provided by senior associate Juan Ignacio Donoso (a former FNE antitrust division deputy head), who has substantive experience in cartel and abuse of dominance cases.
Rodrigo Díaz de Valdés
‘I refer the review of the company’s commercial policies to the Baker firm due to its expertise and important trajectory in this matter. They know the sector, there are former members of the Chilean competition law enforcement authorities and they give good returns.‘
‘Excellent service, a partner is always available.‘
‘Juan Ignacio Donoso is a lawyer who is always available to answer our questions.‘
‘Rodrigo Diaz de Valdés has innovative proposals that give tranquility in the decision-making of the company.‘
Viña Concha y Toro
Merck Animal Health
General Motors Financial
Black & Decker
- Representing Cencosud, one of the major local retailers, in several follow-on actions submitted by consumers for damages, following a hub-and-spoke cartel (for which Cencosud was sanctioned in 2019).
- Representing Essity, a global hygiene and health company, in a follow-on action submitted by Papelera Cerrillos, which seeks compensation for damage caused by a tissue cartel.
- Represented over 100 franchised stores of a Chilean fast food chain (Gastronomía y Negocios) in an abuse of dominant position lawsuit against the franchisor and a number of suppliers (including Coca Cola).
Full-service law firm Barros & Errázuriz houses a nine-member team that consistently acts in major TDLC cases and FNE investigations, as well as assisting with concentration notifications. The practice also advises on the prevention of future anti-competitive conduct through commercial policy reviews and compliance programmes; and is considered a pre-eminent legal adviser to the telecoms sector. Litigation and arbitration expert Luis Eduardo Toro heads the practice, which comprises dispute resolution specialist José Tomás Errázuriz (competition and antitrust proceedings); and merger-control practice leader Francisco Bórquez, who was made partner in April 2021 alongside José Luis Corvalán. However, associates Guillermo Ureta and Macarena Viertel left in March and June 2021, respectively.
José Tomás Errázuriz; Luis Eduardo Toro; Francisco Bórquez
BTG Pactual Chile
Sociedad Austral de Electricidad
MG Leasing Corporation
Servicios Visa International
Southern Cross Group
Independencia Administradora General de Fondos
- Advised Sociedad Austral de Electricidad on the notification before the FNE of the sale of 50% of the shares of Eletrans, Eletrans II and Eletrans III to Chilquinta Energía.
- Defended Coca Cola Embonor (CCE) against an abuse of dominant position and exclusivity clause-related claim, which was filed by a group of Doggis franchisees against Grupo G&N, Alifrut, Ariztía, Embotelladora Andina and CCE.
- Assisted MG Leasing Corporation with notification before the FNE of its acquisition of 50% of the shares of Southern Cone Water.
Bulnes, Urrutia & Bustamante
Boutique law firm Bulnes, Urrutia & Bustamante fields an eight-strong team that is 'first-rate and one of the best in Chile for this practice area'. The group assists with a broad range of antitrust matters, such as: litigation before the TDLC, Supreme Court and Antidumping and Safeguard Commission of the Central Bank; FNE investigations; merger-control reviews and procedures; commercial agreements, relationships with competitors and distributors; pricing and commercial policies; along with the design and implementation of compliance programmes. All three name partners have deep expertise in the sector, namely: Felipe Bulnes ('experience, knowledge and professional leadership'), Enrique Urrutia ('strong intellect and professional rigour'), and José Manuel Bustamante, who all focus on complex antitrust litigation and advice, particularly in the construction, energy and finance sectors.
Felipe Bulnes; Enrique Urrutia; José Manuel Bustamante
‘The team is first-rate and one of the best in Chile for this practice area.‘
‘They represent a very powerful mix of experience and youth, along with a desire to do things very well.‘
‘Their professional training is at a top level.‘
‘Felipe Bulnes is appreciated for his experience, knowledge and professional leadership.‘
‘Enrique Urrutia has a strong intellect and professional rigour.‘
‘All interaction is carried out with the partners.‘
‘Complete knowledge of free competition matters.‘
Cariola Díez Pérez-Cotapos' 11-member practice has substantial experience in merger control matters, as well as notable strengths in cartel and abuse of dominance cases. It also has particular retail industry expertise as a result of the firm's large base of consumer goods clients, while -leveraging the firm's strong IP practice- the department has also developed expertise in the interplay between competition law and IP rights. Practice head Juan Cristóbal Gumucio, whose 'knowledge and business-oriented approach are impressive', assists with merger control, cartels and unilateral conduct, and compliance programmes. The associates to note are Camila Rojas, who has a 'great future in antitrust' and focuses on merger controls; and Catalina González who handles merger control and compliance matters. However, former partner Pedro Lluch and associate Elías Astudillo moved to EY Law in July 2020.
Juan Cristóbal Gumucio
‘Very deep knowledge of the rules regulating antitrust law.’
‘The antitrust team is excellent and they manage to understand clients’ operations in detail – totally recommended!‘
‘A highly specialised team in this field and very competitive in relation to other firms that work in free competition.‘
‘Accredited experience in processing not only judicial, but also administrative matters before Chile’s FNE.‘
‘What makes it unique is the professionalism and dedication of its lawyers; they are dedicated to this branch of law, and maintain direct and permanent contact with the client until the matter is fully closed.‘
‘What differentiates them from other lawyers is that they are always up to date with the current regulations on competition and antitrust, as well as having extensive experience in cases and trials, which allows them to give answers that are not only theoretical, but based on jurisprudence.‘
‘Juan Cristóbal Gumucio is an excellent lawyer, whose knowledge and business-oriented approach are impressive.‘
‘Associate Camila Rojas has proven to be very competent in this area and very committed to clients; she has a great future in antitrust.‘
The Coca-Cola Company
Cámara Innovación Farmacéutica
Acceso y TV
Caja Compensacion Los Andes
Enel Green Power
- Successfully assisted Warner Media with an FNE investigation into its acquisition of a minority stake (owned by OCI) in HBO LAG.
- Defending CDF against an FNE’s abuse of dominance lawsuit, which is likely to set precedents on unilateral conduct.
- Defended Banmedica against an FNE lawsuit for alleged breach of its obligation to notify regarding a minority stake in a competitor.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría's 'competition team is always available, pragmatic and understands its clients' needs'. The practice was recently particularly active in proceedings before the TDLC, while in merger control transactions, the team consistently works in conjunction with the FNE. Other areas of note are FNE investigations, compliance programmes and general competition law counselling. Overseeing the team, Ignacio Larraín (who 'always completes the tasks entrusted, even in adverse situations') has knowledge of both Chilean and European competition law, including major competition litigation, merger-control matters and compliance. Strong support is provided by senior associate Álvaro Espinosa, 'one of the key members of the antitrust defence team', along with associates Gabriel Budnik and Catalina Montero.
‘This team is very complete. It has highly competent professionals who are well prepared to advise us on various issues, especially regarding the regulation of specific industries such as telecoms and the media.‘
‘The competition team is always available, pragmatic and understands its clients’ needs.’
‘They stand out from other firms.‘
‘Good relationship and communication with the client at all times, in addition to presenting the risk scenarios clearly.‘
‘Great for professional qualities, work ethics and technical knowledge.‘
‘Very specialised and rigorous in their analysis.‘
‘I would highlight the excellent work of key partner Ignacio Larraín and senior associate Álvaro Espinosa, who is one of the key members of the antitrust defence team.’
‘Ignacio Larraín always completes the tasks entrusted, even in adverse situations.‘
Comercializadora Nutreco Chile
HAL Optical Investments
The Walt Disney Company
TWDC Enterprises 18
Compañía General de Electricidad
Sociedad de Inversiones Los Orientales
Cosco Shipping Lines / Cosco Shipping Ports
Shanghai International Port (Group) Co
Hutchison Ports Development
Orient Overseas Container Line
Qingdao Port International
Banco de Crédito e Inversiones
Under Armour Europe
- Acted for The Walt Disney Company’s parent companies in a claim filed by the FNE, which concerned an alleged infringement of Chilean competition law.
- Defending Comercializadora Nutreco Chile against proceedings at the TDLC, which were commenced following the filing of a price-fixing cartel claim by the FNE.
- Advising HAL Optical Investments on its worldwide merger transaction with EssilorLuxottica, including the negotiation of a divestiture package with the FNE.
'A very serious, well-prepared team for all kinds of free competition matters', Prieto Abogados' six-strong group regularly acts in leading cases before the TDLC in sectors such as retail, agriculture, energy, banking, ports and transport; and assists with high-profile cases and investigations before the FNE. The practice also fields robust groups in relation to merger control reviews and pre-emptive advice, including compliance programmes. Highly regarded partner Benjamín Grebe 'stands out' for his ability to organise suitable teams; he leads a practice group that includes senior associate Andrea Von Chrismar -a November-2020 hire from Quintanilla & Busel Niedmann who has since been raised to counsel- and associates Santiago Errázuriz (who joined the antitrust department from the firm's litigation practice in 2019), and Daniella Ibaceta (who takes on complex TDLC and FNE cases).
‘Prieto Abogados has a very serious and well-prepared team for all kinds of free competition matters, from the notification of merger operations before the FNE to trials before the TDLC.‘
‘A very well structured team with a very experienced partner and associates, who have extensive experience in both the competition authority and private practice.‘
‘High standards of seriousness and quality.‘
‘High technical quality, with experience in all types of free competition cases.‘
‘Cordial treatment, availability and commitment to the client.‘
‘They always provide a very complete analysis of cases, with all possible viewpoints, and are able to transmit the content in an appropriate way to their clients.‘
‘The service is complete, fast and efficient.‘
‘Benjamín Grebe stands out, as he is capable of bringing together good groups of professionals, with different and complementary roles.‘
- Represented NYK Line (NYK) in a cartel claim filed by the FNE, which concluded in 2020 when the Supreme Court recognised the 50% discount for fines applied to NYK for being the second leniency applicant.
- Represented Watt’s in an out-of-court consent decree settlement agreed with the FNE, as well as acting for Watt’s before the TDLC, obtaining judicial approval of the settlement.
- Advised Puerto Central (port operator) on a consultation initiated by Fepasa before the TDLC to set the conditions for the port-train intermodal station in Barrancas (Port of San Antonio).
Ugarte & Correa
The sizeable, 14-strong, team at competition and dispute resolution boutique Ugarte & Correa recently enjoyed a string of notable successes in the sector, including obtaining a ground-breaking victory for SCA in (reportedly) the largest cartel case ever handled in Chile's history (the tissue-paper cartel case) - and which marked a rare, cartel-case defeat for the FNE. The practice is also active in relation to significant merger-control proceedings and on antitrust compliance advisory. Highly rated antitrust specialist José Joaquín Ugarte ('a very brilliant lawyer') is the team's lead partner, while fellow name partner Pablo Correa specialises in dispute resolution, litigation and arbitration. Younger senior associate Diego Vergara has notable antitrust litigation and merger-control experience.
José Joaquín Ugarte; Pablo Correa
‘This is a very good firm.‘
‘The team of attorneys has extensive competition experience.‘
‘The experience, knowledge and intellectual capacity of José Joaquín Ugarte is outstanding – he manages to distinguish himself from other law firms.‘
‘José Joaquín Ugarte is a very brilliant lawyer who is both intelligent and prepared.‘
Chocolates del Mundo
- Successfully acted for SCA in the tissue paper collusion case, thought to be the largest antitrust case ever filed before the Chilean Antitrust Court.
- Representing Chocolates del Mundo in a merger-control proceeding which concerned its sale to Nestlé.
- Advised Pfizer on obtaining (what was reportedly) the lowest fine that the Antitrust Court has ever imposed on a company for refusing to provide information to the authority because of the sensitive/confidential nature of the data.
Albagli Zaliasnik‘s competition law, regulation and public law group is particularly experienced in matters where competition, IP and the digital economy come together; its representative work includes antitrust compliance programmes, merger control and investigations before the FNE, as well as TDLC and Supreme Court trials. The practice is co-led by name partner Gabriel Zaliasnik, whose litigation caseload includes antitrust cases; and Ariela Agosin, who, in addition to litigation, regulatory and IP work, advises pharmaceutical and telecoms clients on antitrust matters. Other key practice members include Daniel Lopez (pharmaceutical and medical devices’ sector expertise); and senior associates Matías Edwards (who re-joined from the FNE in September 2020), recently promoted Dafne Guerra (regulated markets, free competition and public economic law), and Antonio Rubilar (investigations before the antitrust authorities).
Ariela Agosin; Gabriel Zaliasnik
‘A highly trained and dedicated team.‘
‘Great for their understanding of the client’s business and provision of advice that is very tailored to their interests and needs – compares very favourably.‘
‘The attorneys are very experienced, courteous and available.‘
‘The work is of extremely high quality.‘
‘Appreciated for the constant involvement of the partners.‘
‘Very courteous, available and efficient, especially when we need fast, short-term support.‘
‘Specialised professionals with a collaborative spirit at a reasonable and fair cost.‘
‘Ariela Agosin and senior associate Antonio Rubilar have knowledge and dedication, assigning the importance to a case that it deserves; they also have a very practical approach to problems.‘
Fresenius Kabi Chile
Empresas La Polar
- Defended pharmaceutical laboratories Fresenius Kabi and Sanderson in a landmark bid-rigging collusion case before the Supreme Court of Chile.
- Successfully advised UNACEM (and its whole economic group) before the FNE, in relation to the merger control process for the acquisition of Spanish cement consortium Cementos La Unión.
- Advising GasValpo on a market study (recently launched by the FNE) that evaluates the competitive dynamics within the gas industry’s value chain.
Formed in 2015, Contreras Velozo launched its competition and regulation department three years later when it hired former TDLC judge Javier Velozo and antitrust and economic-regulation expert Pablo Pardo from the now de-merged Aninat Schwencke & Cia. The practice currently acts in significant cases before the TDLC, as well as before the Supreme Court and in FNE-initiated investigations; it also assists with notifications of proposed mergers, civil lawsuits involving anti-competitive acts, and compliance programmes. Providing key support are associates Francisca Lobos and María de Los Ángeles Figueroa, who both previously worked as FNE lawyers.
Correa Squella‘s dispute resolution and antitrust practice is co-led by ‘excellent‘ founding partner Juan Ignacio Correa (regulatory conflicts and free competition) and Jorge Sepúlveda (an ‘expert in anti-competitive damages’), who in 2019 became the firm’s newest –and youngest– partner. Leveraging off the firm’s ports-sector expertise, the practice group is particularly noted for maritime logistics competition issues, but has developed additional experience in retail and telecoms-related contentious competition work. Key competition law support is provided by ‘experienced‘ associate Tamara De Beer, who has been active on the firm’s ports-related matters.
Juan Ignacio Correa; Jorge Sepúlveda
‘Great knowledge and experience, and they are always very concerned about understanding our requirements and executing them as agreed – this is highly valued. They also respond quickly to our concerns and requests.‘
‘They have a good and very complete team.‘
‘They stand out in the market for their diversity.‘
‘Correa Squella does not rest only on the figure of a single lawyer, as they have several young and experienced associates, who are led by excellent partner Juan Ignacio Correa.‘
‘Juan Ignacio Correa is an excellent litigator.‘
‘Jorge Sepúlveda is an expert in anti-competitive damages – he always shows a co-operative attitude and is very agile in his responses.‘
‘Tamara de Beer is an experienced associate, who combines her knowledge very well with an efficient and strategic approach.’
Empresa Portuaria San Antonio
Empresa Portuaria Chacabuco
Empresa Portuaria Puerto Montt
Empresa Portuaria Austral
Telefónica Móviles de Chile
- Advised Empresas Portuarias Chacabuco, Puerto Montt and Austral on three consultation processes, which concerned the conditions to be imposed in relation to their port concessions.
- Represented Redtec in an abuse of dominant position claim against Walmart Chile.
- Acted for Telefónica Móviles de Chile in a rare case, where a party sought damages as a result of an Antitrust Court decision.
Estudio Lewin Abogados
'Up to date with the latest legislative and regulatory trends', boutique legal practice Estudio Lewin Abogados houses a number of former FNE lawyers, who specialise in compliance programmes, internal investigations, antitrust damages actions, cartel cases and merger control. The practice is co-led by name partner Nicolás Lewin, who recently represented Baxter before the Supreme Court in an appeal surrounding a bid-rigging case; and Fernando Araya, who has regulated and non-regulated sector expertise. Reinforcing the firm's compliance and litigation expertise, Marco Mercado was hired as of counsel in 2020 from Falabella where he was chief compliance officer. Manuel Abarca (abuse of dominant position, joint venture analysis and digital-market studies) is the associate to note.
Nicolas Lewin; Fernando Araya
‘Up to date with the latest legislative and regulatory trends.‘
‘Provides innovative advice.‘
‘They are experts in their field, which adds added value for the in-house attorney.‘
‘They have extensive knowledge about the energy market and antitrust that I have not observed in other firms.‘
‘Flexibility with billing and very good management of technology for the efficient development of work meetings.‘
‘Nicolas Lewin is a lawyer who, apart from his extensive knowledge, knows how to apply the best solutions to business.‘
- Represented Baxter before the Supreme Court in an appeal surrounding a bid-rigging case.
- Representing Blumar (the victim of an alleged cartel) before the TDLC, in a case brought by the FNE against salmon food producers and suppliers.
- Representing D&C Logistics in a consultation process before the TDLC, which concerned the conditions for the development of an intermodal station in Puerto Central.
'Superior in technical terms to other firms', the scope of Morales & Besa's practice ranges from merger review procedures to judicial representation during litigation and regarding compliance issues. Recently promoted partner and former anti-cartel unit head at the FNE, María José Henríquez, 'provides quick and effective solutions' and heads the team; she is experienced in representing clients before the Chilean competition authorities in M&A transactions, as well as complex investigations and the litigation of anticompetitive conduct. Additional support is provided by associate Claudia Arce, who focuses on litigation, administrative investigations concerning antitrust offences, merger control, and compliance programmes.
María José Henríquez
‘The team balances a great amount of experience in merger review and litigation with innovative solutions for clients.‘
‘A very good team that is diligent and professional – it achieves results.‘
‘They are superior in technical terms to other firms with less specialised teams.‘
‘They are always available and it is easy to work with them.‘
‘Morales & Besa is meticulous, technical and with impeccable response times.‘
‘María José Henríquez has vast experience in this area, in addition to knowing the supervisory body very well, which allows her to anticipate and explain situations more fully to the client.‘
‘María José Henríquez is a brilliant partner, who easily understands her client’s business and provides quick and effective solutions. She is able to explain complex matters to clients in a very easy way, and she is very hands on and an excellent litigator.‘
‘The professional qualities of María José Henríquez really stand out; she handles matters remarkably with a high level of service.‘
Naviera Orca Chile
SSA Holdings International
Iron Mountain Chile
Unión Nacional de Artistas
Servicios Portuarios Reloncaví
IGT Global Solutions Chile
- Successfully represented Peugeot before the FNE in the merger processof Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Peugeot.
- Successfully represented Unión Nacional de Artistas before the Competition Tribunal in a non-contentious proceeding initiated by TV-broadcaster trade association, ANATEL, which concerned IP-related fees.
- Representing IGT Global solutions before the Competition Tribunal in two proceedings, including a case concerning the regulation of the payments processing market.
Ortúzar, Vergara & Boetsch Abogados
Committed to its boutique law firm status, Ortúzar, Vergara & Boetsch Abogados, which 'obtains exceptional results', advises on the gamut of competition law, ranging from transactions and investigations to litigation, compliance programmes, legal opinions, and day-to-day advisory matters. The principal advisers are: 'outstanding' dispute resolution expert Álvaro Ortúzar; fellow name partner Nicolás Vergara, who, in addition to shareholder disputes and insurance litigation, acts in antitrust mandates; and 'excellent lawyer' Juan Sebastián Valdés (cartels, abuse of dominance investigations, antitrust damages and compliance programmes). Recently promoted partner Diego Navarrete is rapidly gaining antitrust experience, while associate María Elena Pinares joined the team in April 2020 from López Escobar del Río Leiva.
Alvaro Ortúzar; Nicolás Vergara; Juan Sebastián Valdés Rojas
‘Obtains exceptional results given their knowledge, experience and ability to handle cases.‘
‘Clients are accompanied 24/7 by the team.‘
‘A highly experienced and dedicated team.‘
‘In addition to Alvaro Ortúzar’s intelligence, he shows tremendous leadership and ability to generate strong legal strategies, managing multiple variables and knowing how to discern the appropriate paths for each situation.‘
‘Álvaro Ortúzar is outstanding.‘
‘Juan Sebastián Valdés Rojas is an excellent lawyer, who understands economic matters very well and is always available to support our needs.‘
‘Juan Sebastián Valdés Rojas handles competition matters very well, understands markets and businesses, and provides an excellent service.‘
‘Juan Sebastián Valdés is methodical and fast.‘
Sociedad Nacional de Pesca
Celulosa Arauco y Constitución
Compañía Marítima Chilena
- Representing Banco BCI before the Competition Tribunal in an antitrust action filed by FNE, which claims that BCI abused its dominant position by excluding a participant from an insurance bidding process.
- Representing Ariztía in an antitrust damages claim filed by consumer associations CONADECUS and FOJUCC.
- Representing Sociedad Nacional de Pesca in three claims before the Antitrust Tribunal against the Undersecretariat for Fisheries and Aquaculture, which involved objecting to the bidding process for a type of tradable fishing license.
The 'hardworking' six-member team at Urenda, Rencoret, Orrego y Dörr has 'extensive knowledge of competition law in Chile'. The group assists with merger control assessments and notifications, along with investigations, commercial agreements, and distribution policies and strategies; it also advises on the implementation of compliance programmes, and fields experts in international unfair competition matters, such as anti-dumping and safeguard cases. Gonzalo Rencoret, who assists with merger control, Competition Court procedures, and alleged collusive behaviour and abuse of dominance investigations; and Nicholas Mocarquer, who has 'excellent analytical skills', co-lead the practice. Key associate support is provided by Bernardita Schmidt who handles investigations and merger clearances.
Nicholas Mocarquer; Gonzalo Rencoret
‘They are always available, hardworking and with extensive knowledge of competition law in Chile.‘
‘They have the ability to understand different markets and industries; and their advice is clear and concise, which means they have the ability to provide excellent assessments on these issues.‘
‘The firm offers a solidity and reliability that few players can offer in the market.‘
‘The experience of its partners and associates provides important security when hiring this firm.‘
‘A prestigious, reliable and efficient law firm in the delivery of its service.‘
‘Excellent collaboration and willingness to clarify doubts on technical issues; and they are very creative in making suggestions, while respecting the intention of the parties but also complying with the applicable provisions.‘
‘Nicholas Mocarquer has excellent analytical skills as well as the ability to understand and identify potential problems; he also has excellent practical knowledge of how the Competition Authority works in Chile.’
‘Gonzalo Rencoret is an excellent professional who differs from competitors due to his commitment to delving into details, so as to understand the legal situation at hand.‘
Inmobiliaria Mall Viña del Mar
- Representing Nexus in a proceeding initiated by the Competition Court to assess the competition conditions in the card payment industry.
- Advised all the parties involved in the clearance for the merger between Aircastle and a joint venture (Marubeni and Mizuho Leasing).
- Assisted Minera Escondida with an investigation before the National Commission in Charge of the Investigation of the Existence of Price Distortions of Imported Goods, which concerned alleged dumping conduct by Chinese producers.
Yrarrázaval, Ruiz-Tagle, Ovalle, Salas & Vial
Particularly experienced in public infrastructure bids involving antitrust issues, Yrarrázaval, Ruiz-Tagle, Ovalle, Salas & Vial nonetheless acts for both national and foreign corporations and trade associations across the gamut of competition work; the practice is additionally sought out for major cases before the Chilean Antitrust Court. Gerardo Ovalle ('the most prominent lawyer in the country for antitrust matters'), Fernando Salas and Anibal Vial all act in Chilean Competition Tribunal cases, as well as providing advice on compliance programmes; both Ovalle and Vial are members of the Competition Committee of the Chilean Bar Association. Also on hand is senior partner Arturo Yrarrázaval, a former Antitrust Court judge.
Gerardo Ovalle; Fernando Salas; Aníbal Vial
‘The firm is a leader in antitrust matters and its lawyers have longstanding national and international experience.‘
‘The team is strongly oriented towards client satisfaction.‘
‘The team’s strengths and skills are its business and industry knowledge, along with antitrust case experience. Its advice focuses on the business, and its flexibility allows the practice to align with the interests of the client.‘
‘Their performance is impeccable – we choose them over other firms; they have thorough knowledge of specialist subjects, which is brought to bear in practice, particularly at the judicial level.‘
‘They compare very favourably with other firms in this area, with significant comparative advantages in terms of practical achievements.‘
‘Gerardo Ovalle, Fernando Salas and Anibal Vial are very good lawyers.‘
‘Gerardo Ovalle has solid knowledge in civil and free competition matters.‘
‘Gerardo Ovalle is the most prominent lawyer in the country for antitrust matters; his extensive knowledge in Chile and abroad makes him an essential support to business activities.‘
Cámara Chilena de la Construcción
Cámara Nacional de Comercio
- Represented Cámara Chilena de la Construction before the Competition Tribunal in a case involving the public construction market.
- Advised Cámara Chilena de La Construction on all its 2020 non-contentious cases where the Competition Tribunal required its opinion of the market.
- Advising Clariant (Chile) on its worldwide effort to highlight the importance of competition.
Bofill, Mir & Álvarez Jana's six-strong competition and antitrust team covers merger reviews, cartels, abuse of dominant positions, market definition, and FNE-related litigation and investigations. In addition to acting in TDLC and Supreme Court cases, the team advises on the potential antitrust implications of transactions and agreements, and implements antitrust compliance programmes. Co-heading the TMT and public law groups, Guillermo de la Jara (merger control and investigations) leads the team, which includes co-head of the firm's dispute resolution practice Rodrigo Gil, who acts in antitrust and unfair competition cases. Senior associate Daniela Severín is a former FNE lawyer.
Guillermo de la Jara
‘Very good availability and clarity.‘
‘Associate Daniela Severín understands the needs of clients (which are not always legal), and her working methods are very flexible.‘
Inversiones Fernández Romero
Inversiones Los Portones
Inversiones Lonco Salud
Asesorías e Inversiones Inmobiliaria y Dentales Lo Blanco
CDM InversionesAsesorías e Inversiones Legatus
Hipotecaria La Construcción
- Successfully advised several entities, including Ladakh, Inversiones Los Portones, Inversiones Lonco Salud, Asesorías e Inversiones Inmobiliaria y Dentales Lo Blanco and Asesorías e Inversiones Legatus on merger-control procedures before the FNE.
- Advised Porsche Chile on a review of internal guidelines (in the event of a dawn raid by the antitrust authorities).
- Assisted Hipotecaria La Construcción with an analysis of public bidding procedures from a compliance perspective.
Bordoli Doren Abogados
Competition, regulated markets and public procurement boutique Bordoli Doren Abogados has a strong name in the market for its competition law experience involving the energy, banking, retail, healthcare and transportation sectors. Carla Bordoli and fellow name partner Cristián Doren can both claim longstanding experience in representing clients during investigations before the FNE, as well as in cases before the TDLC; Bordoli is also regularly sought out for her advice on antitrust compliance programmes.
Coeymans, Edwards, Poblete & Dittborn
Coeymans, Edwards, Poblete & Dittborn's five-member antitrust and competition practice has particular experience in the real estate and construction sectors, which facilitates ongoing compliance advisory work; the team also has notable oil-and-gas sector expertise. Name partner and practice leader Juan Enrique Coeymans is experienced in significant cartel and abuse of dominance cases, as well as in preventative matters. Key growth for the team includes the August 2020 recruitment of María José Larraín (former founding partner of Vial Larraín) as a partner in the dispute resolution and competition/antitrust departments (becoming the firm's first female partner). Associate María José Berger provides additional strength on the litigation bench.
Juan Enrique Coeymans
Transbordadora Autral Broom
- Represented major wholesale and retail pharmaceutical distributor in Chile, Socofar, in a TDLC claim filed by several franchisees for alleged abuse of dominant position conduct.
- Represented TABSA before the Antitrust Court in Transportes Tierra del Fuego’s document exhibit request, which related to the filing of an abuse of dominant position claim against TABSA.
- Advised Duncan Fox on the competition implications of the association between its affiliate Alimentos y Frutos (Minuto Verde) and Hortifrut.
Dentons Larrain Rencoret
Dentons Larrain Rencoret expanded its competition law practice through the 2019 hire of 'very intelligent and responsive competition lawyer' Santiago Ried, a former name partner and antitrust head at Ugarte & Correa. The team has extensive expertise in cartels, market investigations, merger control and compliance, particularly in the finance, infrastructure, retail and technology sectors. The antitrust department also leverages off the firm's regional and global presence, enabling regular collaboration with antitrust practice teams in the rest of Latin America, as well as alongside counterparts in the firm's Europe, US and Asia offices. Senior associate Marcelo Alarcón co-ordinates the office's litigation and arbitration department.
‘I have an excellent professional and personal opinion of Santiago Ried; he is a very good free competition lawyer.‘
‘Handles cases in a very passionate and intense way, while supported by in-depth research.‘
‘Very good use of the international network, with impressive results.‘
‘Santiago Ried is a very intelligent and responsive competition lawyer.‘
‘Santiago Ried is an excellent lawyer who specialises in antitrust, and his presentations are of excellent quality; he is also very careful and accurate in his approach.‘
‘Santiago Ried is very intelligent and responsive, with ever-increasing knowledge of antitrust law – he has a speed and agility that other lawyers do not have.‘
‘Santiago Ried is a very good antitrust lawyer, who is dedicated, assertive and very enthusiastic.‘
‘Santiago Ried is the one who stands out the most; he differs for his dedication, intensity, and passionate way of litigating each trial.‘
- Represented railway company, Transap, in an antitrust procedure before the TDLC, which was filed by its competitor Ferrocarril del Pacífico and involved analysing the competition conditions of a new railway station.
- Representing global mining services and equipment provider, Metso, in an unlawful competition and damages case, which was filed against competitor AYCA before the civil courts in Santiago.
- Assisted online market place Mercado Libre on the merger-control issues surrounding its acquisition of software development company Lagash.
DLA Piper Chile‘s ‘vision and knowledge are very in tune with what is required to meet the Antitrust Court’s high standards‘. The team’s scope of practice ranges from M&A clearances to FNE investigations and antitrust litigation before the TDLC and the Supreme Court; the Santiago office has also developed a robust antitrust and competition compliance practice. With broad experience in regulatory matters and antitrust, Felipe Bahamondez co-heads the department alongside counsel Sofia O’Ryan, who arrived form the FNE in October 2020, where she gained extensive experience in merger control, unilateral conduct and horizontal agreements. However, former counsel Carolina Bawlitza moved in house as a competition compliance officer at SMU in October 2020.
Felipe Bahamondez; Sofia O’Ryan
‘This group of lawyers mixes the experience of its partners with the firm’s knowledge of law and litigation, particularly the specific antitrust knowledge of its younger lawyers – a very solid work product.‘
‘The antitrust team’s vision and knowledge are very in tune with what is required to meet the Antitrust Court’s high standards.’
‘The experience of having worked in Chile’s free competition agency marks a difference from other firms that do not have specialist lawyers within their work teams.‘
‘They have a very good understanding of anticompetitive behaviour, know the jurisprudence, and know that the court analysing the cases is capable of performing sophisticated analyses of market behaviour.‘
‘Very efficient when defining the arguments that they will use in their judicial strategy.‘
‘Counsel Sofia O’Ryan deserves special mention.‘
- Advised Cornershop Technologies and Uber Technologies (as joint counsel) on a merger control procedure before the FNE, which concerned the acquisition of a majority ownership of Cornershop by Uber.
- Defended Uber Chile and Uber International Holding before the TDLC in a case filed by a union of taxi drivers for unfair trade allegations.
Echeverría Ilharreborde Scagliotti
Founded in 2015, the competition law practice at boutique-sized firm Echeverría Ilharreborde Scagliotti is led by founding partner Pedro Echeverría, a former senior associate at Claro & Cia.'s antitrust practice group. Echeverría focuses his practice on abuse of dominant positions, cartel cases and merger control matters. In addition to the team's advisory to Coca-Cola Andina on its day-to-day competition law matters, the practice is currently representing Sociedad de Inversiones en Infraestructura before the TDLC; the case concerns the FNE's intervention in a public bid for the construction and operation of Santiago’s new bus terminal.
‘Great for knowledge and experience of the FNE process.‘
‘Excellent negotiating skills.‘
‘Very available lawyers with strong and human qualities.‘
‘In-depth knowledge of antitrust issues.‘
‘Great legal analysis of the issues and professionalism in their work.‘
‘They are a highly recommended alternative for antitrust matters, their rates being very competitive.‘
‘Excellent preparation for negotiations and proper management of the process.‘
‘Constant participation of Pedro Echeverría, who is permanently available.‘
Coca-Cola Andina Empresa Nacional del Petróleo
Estudio Santander Valdés
Jedimar Inversiones and its subsidiaries
Sociedad de Inversiones en Infraestructura
- Currently representing Envases CMF before the FNE, in relation to the merger control procedure concerning a polyethylene terephthalate recycling joint venture between Envases CMF and Fábrica de Envases Plásticos.
- Acting for Sociedad de Inversiones en Infraestructura before the TDLC in a case involving the FNE’s intervention in a public bid for Santiago’s new bus terminal.
- Advising Coca-Cola Andina on its day-to-day competition law matters.
Gana y Galvez Abogados
Boutique litigation law firm Gana y Galvez Abogados houses a six-member team with substantial free competition experience. Experienced partner José Miguel Gana is regularly involved in high-profile antitrust cases, particularly in relation to collusion and abuse of dominance litigation. The 'very committed and consolidated' practice has also developed a strong reputation for FNE investigations, while recent work has focused on the banking, telecoms, gas, and food and drink sectors. Younger partner Ruben Urrutia provides notable support.
José Miguel Gana
‘A very committed and consolidated team.‘
‘Proven experience in free competition matters.‘
‘The partner got involved in the work, giving greater seriousness and credibility to the advice.‘
CDF (TNT Sports)
Gas Natural Fenosa
- Acted for OPS Ingeniería in an anti-competitive behaviour lawsuit against Movistar for damages.
- Defended Banco del Estado de Chile against a claim brought by Scotiabank, BBVA, Banco Security, Banco Bice and Banco Internacional before the Antitrust Court for price discrimination and excessive prices (regarding electronic fund transfers).
- Defended CDF against an FNE claim for alleged abuse of dominant position, which concerned cable TV broadcasters and contractual practices.
González & Rioseco
González & Rioseco is a well-known competition and dispute resolution boutique that regularly acts in high-profile proceedings before the TDLC and the Supreme Court; the firm also fields experts in FNE investigations and merger-control work, as well as sector specialists in telecoms, banking and maritime. Name partner Andrés Rioseco regularly defends and advises foreign and national corporations in relation to complex antitrust procedures; while strong associate-level support is provided by Valentina Guevara, who has worked alongside Rioseco for approximately eight years. Also on hand is fellow name partner Francisco González, who leverages almost three decades of relevant experience.
Guerrero Olivos' eight-member department has a strong name for its expertise in the mining and metals and energy industries, while its key areas of work include antitrust litigation, M&A-related competition work, FNE investigatory proceedings, and merger control procedures. Growth areas include advising on compliance manuals and antitrust corporate protocols. Pedro Pellegrini is experienced in addressing competition-related corporate risks and defending investigatory proceedings; Eduardo Cordero and José Gabriel Undurraga contribute to the team from a regulatory angle; and Alejandra Leiton is a key antitrust associate. August 2020 saw the arrival of Juan José García, previously a FNE litigator; however, former partner Tomás Kubick and senior associate Jaime Barahona moved to Cuatrecasas and the TDLC, respectively, during the course second half of the year.
Pedro Pellegrini; Eduardo Cordero; José Gabriel Undurraga
Naturgy Energy Group
Compañía General de Electricidad
Chilean Competition Agency
Western Union International
Air Products- Indura
Compañía Minera los Pelambres
Caja de Compensación de Asignación Familiar Los Andes
MITTA (Mitsui & Co)
- Represented Naturgy Group in the merger-control process concerning the sale of shares in Chile’s largest energy distribution company, GCE.
- Represented FEMSA in the merger control procedures for both the acquisition of 40% of SOCOFAR and the purchase of convenience store OK Market.
- Represented food and drinks producer Empresas Carozzi on the merger-control aspects of the international acquisition of ice-cream brands Bresler and Melevi from Unilever Group.