Real estate in Brazil
Few dispute Campos Mello Advogados' position as one of the leading real estate practices in Brazil. The market-leading group has a strong national reach, while its partnership with DLA Piper ensures a strong flow of cross-border mandates and international clients. The team regularly represents major developers, investment funds and corporates on their acquisitions, construction projects and divestments; this includes major manufacturing plants, logistics and shopping centres, and residential and commercial office projects. The team is fairly evenly spread across the firm's Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo offices, with Bernardo Buarque Schiller, Ivandro Ristum Trevelim, Theo Keiserman de Abreu and Fabio Campos Mello among the main contacts.
‘The team impresses with the technicality it manages to bring to the table in terms of real estate and registration law without neglecting the objectivity that negotiation requires.’
‘The department lawyers have a remarkable ability to reconcile technical knowledge with a business sense, evaluating the matters put under consultation in depth and at the same time offering precise, concise recommendations, with the clarity and objectivity that a competitive business requires.’
‘Ivandro Ristum Trevelim is an experienced and thorough practitioner, providing confidence to our real estate deals.’
Amazon Web Services
Vinci Real Estate
Concessionária Aeroporto Rio de Janeiro (RIOgaleão)
GB Armazéns Gerais
- Advised L’Oreal on the R$23m acquisition of a packaging plant and distribution centre for its new cosmetic brand ‘Duty’.
- Advised the REIT Malls Brasil Plural Fundo de Investimento Imobilario on its R$154m investment in two major shopping malls.
- Represented Brazil Hospitality Group on the R$47m expansion of a hotel in Leblon.
- Advised Bait Inc. on its R$34m acquisition of the last piece of available real estate in Avenida Atlantica, in front of Copacabana beach.
Duarte Garcia, Serra Netto e Terra Advogados has established an excellent reputation in the market for its broad range of real estate services, with founding partner Marcelo Terra considered something of a pioneer. The firm offers strong advice in key ancillary areas, including environmental and planning law, and also has a noteworthy real estate litigation practice, where Natália Japur has a good track record. The team regularly handles complex real estate-related corporate mandates, and also advises on financings, structured products and capital markets listings, areas in which Guilherme Caffaro Terra and Helena Mendonça de Toledo Arruda are especially active. The firm is particularly popular with major real estate investment funds.
‘Marcelo Terra is polite, intelligent and direct, he dominates matters related to real estate law.’
‘I also had the honour of working with Natalia Japur, who is extremely dedicated and professional.’
Gustavo Padilha Advogados Associados
Gustavo Padilha Advogados Associados has a longstanding reputation for providing top-tier real estate advice. Founded in 1997 by well-regarded name partner Gustavo Pinheiro Guimarães Padilha, the firm regularly acts on major acquisitions and development projects for a wide range of investors and developers. Luciana Campos Palermo is another name of note.
Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados has an extremely active practice, which sits at the cross section between real estate, corporate and capital markets work. Rossana Fernandes Duarte has over 30 years of experience in the market, and the firm has a team of high-quality partners coming through the ranks, all of whom receive praise from clients, including Mariana Spoto Cobra, Fernando Amendola and the recently promoted Janaína de Cássia Gomes Vargas. The fact that major funds like Brookfield regularly use the firm is testament to its track record advising clients investing in retail, logistics, industrial, residential, office and hospitality properties.
‘We usually hire Mattos Filho for relevant transactions that are usually complex and require many work fronts and detailed analysis, and they serve us very well. The teams are relatively large and the professionals are highly qualified, which gives us confidence that ours interests will be protected.’
‘It is a real partnership. Not only has the team a unique knowledge of the subject, but they really understand the need of the client. They always comply with deadlines (even short ones).’
‘The team is one of the best with whom we work. Fernando Amendola and Janaína Vargas stand out for their careful and proactive performance.’
‘Mariana Spoto Cobra was outstanding.’
Brookfield Property Group Brazil
Grupo CB – Casas Bahia Comercial (Michel Klein)
IRB Investimentos e Participações Imobiliárias (“IRB”)
Las Vegas Sands
Vinci Shopping Centers Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário – FII
Internacional Shopping Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário (“Gazit Brasil”)
Administradora Geral de Estacionamento (INDIGO)
iFood.com Agência de Restaurantes Online
Windsor Investimentos Imobiliários Ltda. (“Windsor”)
Bird Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário – FII
Hines do Brasil Empreendimentos
- Advised Brookfield Property Group on the R$1.3bn acquisition of five office buildings from Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário – FII BTG Pactual Corporate Office Fund and Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário – FII Prime Portfólio.
- Assisted the logistics company Capital Brasileiro de Empreendimentos Imobiliários on its restructuring, including the potential sale of four warehouses.
- Represented Kinea Investimentos on the construction agreement with Libercon Engenharia for a new logistics centre in the city of Cabreúva.
- Advised Vinci Shopping Centers Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário – FII on the R$199m sale of a shopping mall to Prudenshopping.
PMK Advogados is a top-notch firm that is entirely focused on the real estate sector. Its expertise ranges from financing and capital markets advice through to corporate joint ventures and major development projects. The firm's client base includes some of the largest players in the market, including developers, asset managers, foreign investors and corporate owners. Founding partner Fernando Maximiano leads the well-regarded practice, in which Sérgio Kawasaki is the main contact for related tax and corporate advice, while Rafael Magalhães Florence handles contentious matters. Other key partners include Rafael Gobbi, who has an extremely active transactional practice, and Allan de Crocci Souza, who manages the capital markets and banking side.
‘Extremely deep capacity of analysis and counseling and very strong experience.’
‘Fernando Maximiano has a large rank of solutions for very specific questions.’
PMV (Camargo Correa´s family office)
RB Capital Investimentos
Vinci Real Estate Gestora de Recursos (Vinci Partners)
Mitre Realty Empreendimentos e Participações
Brookfield Property Group (Brazil)
- Advised Kinea Investimentos on the R$1bn land acquisition, development and fund raising required for Lojas Renner’s largest Brazilian logistics facility.
- Assisted HBR Realty Empreendimentos Imobiliários on the R$673m offering of real estate receivables certificates to help finance the development of buildings leased to WeWork Brazil and Anima Educação.
- Represented WAM Brasil Investimentos Inteligentes on the formation of a consortium to retrofit and develop a new business in Hotel Nacional in Rio de Janeiro.
- Advised Pátria Edifícios Corporativos Fundo De Investimento Imobiliário – FII on the R$50m acquisition of two commercial offices in São Paulo.
Veirano Advogados attracts high praise from clients, which come from all corners of the market, including major investment funds, corporate owners and leaseholders, hotel chains, logistics companies and banks. The team has an especially strong presence in the hospitality sector and is also noted for its good expertise in real estate development projects generally. Shopping and logistics centre deals have featured high on the agenda, and the team has also been involved in some of the largest real estate disputes to hit the market. Raphael Moreira Espírito Santo and the highly rated Rodrigo de Castro lead the team, which includes several well-regarded associates, including Bruno Aronne.
‘The team is very committed to results, always available for calls and meetings. All the members have a lot of experience in the real estate business.’
‘The individuals always help us to do the necessary to close our business deals. We like very much to work with Rodrigo de Castro (partner) and Bruno Arrone (senior). They both have a lot of experience and use it to develop an outstanding job.’
Melia International Hotels
IRB Brasil Resseguros
Brazil Hospitality Group – BHG Hotels
Ferroport Logística (Grupo Prumo Logística S.A./ Anglo American)
- Advised IRB Brasil Resseguros on the R$137m sale of a stake in the Minas Shopping Mall to Vinci Shopping Center Real Estate Investment Fund.
- Representing Primo Immo Brasil Empreendimentos e Participações on R$200m worth of investments including the acquisition and development of three care facilities and the purchase of four adjacent properties in Niterói.
- Advising Banco Santander on the restructuring of Syene Construtora’s debt, including the transfer of roughly 150 apartments in lieu of payment.
- Assisting Accor Invest on the R$200m retrofit of the Fairmont Copacabana building in Rio de Janeiro.
Bicalho e Mollica Advogados
Bicalho e Mollica Advogados is an active player in the market, with a very strong reputation among clients and peers. The firm handles the full range of real estate matters, and is also equipped to provide related corporate, environmental, litigation, tax, finance and capital markets advice. Name partners Rodrigo Bicalho and Luciano Mollica are leading figures in Brazil's real estate scene.
‘Bicalho & Mollica is a great established law firm. Luciano Mollica serves us very well.’
BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão is making an increasingly strong impression on Brazil's real estate market, through its combination of transactional, development and related corporate finance expertise. The team, which is jointly led by Cristiana Moreira and Cristiane Mamprin, acts for clients across a range of sectors, including established investment funds, corporates and new entrants into the market, including WeWork. The team is also noted for its strong structured finance offering. Recently promoted partner Guilherme Zoghbi Ayala and senior associate Maria Eduarda Bérgamo are also names of note.
São Carlos Empreendimentos e Participações
Hemisfério Sul Investimentos – HSI
BHG – Brazil Hospitality Group
WeWork Serviços de Escritório
- Advised Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário – FII BTG Pactual Corporate Office Fund on the structuring of a complex R$1.3bn deal involving the sale of certain assets in order to acquire R$671m worth of assets from Brookfield.
- Advised brMalls on the R$696m sale of seven shopping malls to a BTG managed real estate fund, as well as the R$209m issuance of real estate receivables certificates.
- Assistance to WeWork on its Brazilian expansion, including the negotiation of 15 long-term lease agreements in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Gerais.
Demarest Advogados' recent recruitment of new co-head Marc Stalder, from KLA Advogados, is a clear statement of intent. His arrival brings added depth to the firm's offering, particularly when it comes to advising on major commercial real estate developments and land acquisitions. The firm was already strong on the corporate finance side, thanks to the experience of fellow co-head Lucas Tavares Bueno, who brings good expertise on real estate-related joint ventures and M&A. Fund clients also use the firm for related financings and capital markets transactions, an area where Thiago Giantomassi is especially well regarded, particularly among the REIT community. The team also offers depth at the junior end, with well-regarded senior associates including Henrique Anders.
‘The team has excellent knowledge and good track record of success.’
‘Marc Stalder – always available, hands-on, clear language, excellent technical knowledge, a good partner.’
7 Bridges Brazil
Credit Suisse Hedging Griffo
CSSCK – Cloud Kitchens
Procter & Gamble
- Advised 7 Bridges on the formation of two joint ventures, with a total value of R$800m, for the purpose of real estate developments.
- Advised Companhia Melhoramentos on several matters, including licensing for the construction of a new airport in São Paulo, and the regularisation of several properties in the states of São Paulo and Minas Gerais covering over 25,000 acres.
- Advised Procter & Gamble on all issues linked to the $500m expansion of its Louveira plant, including a new distribution centre and innovation lab.
Huck, Otranto, Camargo Advogados is well regarded in the market for its advice to developers, investors, family offices and leaseholders. The team, which is led by the highly respected Estela Maria Lemos Monteiro Soares de Camargo, is also noted for its good experience in rural real estate transactions and development projects, including the establishment of commercial and industrial facilities. The practice also has a good track record advising on lease agreements, both for landlords and corporate tenants in the retail and commercial office space. Other key partners within the team include Thomaz Henrique Monteiro Whately and Thalita Duarte Henriques Pinto, who is especially active in rural real estate.
‘The real estate team is highly qualified and diversified in skills and knowledge that complement each other. All of them are engaged in academic activities but with a focus on their practical application and the solution of everyday problems. They are very business-oriented.’
‘Estela Camargo and Thomaz Whately are the senior real estate partners of this firm. They are very expert lawyers and have assisted many big investors, family offices, developers, sellers, buyers, tenants in the São Paulo City.’
Wework Serviços de Escritório
Sympla Internet Soluções
GA Yustrich Participações (Guarde Aqui)
Shift Gestão Empresarial
Sollus Gestora de Terras
Assupero – Associação Unificada de Ensino Renovado Objetivo (Grupo Objetivo)
Porto Seguro Companhia de Seguros Gerais
Agropecuária Fazenda Brasil – AFB
Companhia Tradicional de Comércio – CIATC
- Assisting Companhia Tradicional de Comércio – CIATC on the preparation of new lease agreements for some of its shopping malls in São Paulo, including Shopping Cidade Jardim and Shopping JK Iguatemi.
- Advised the agricultural real estate investment company Sollus Gestora de Terras on several regulatory matters, and also the R$31m sale of a 5,000 hectare land plot.
- Assisted Expedia on the negotiation and drafting of a lease agreement for its new headquarters.
The well-regarded and highly versatile team at KLA Advogados covers all aspects of the real estate market. The firm represents an impressive mix of investors, developers and corporates on acquisitions, sale and leasebacks, development projects, regularisations, and related financings and capital markets offerings. This includes expertise across the manufacturing, transport, logistics, timberland, retail and agribusiness sectors. Pedro Cortez remains one of the leading lawyers in the market, and is backed by a talented team of partners that includes Mariana Cortez, Ricardo Stuber, Tomaz Matheus and Rodrigo Pontes. Senior associate Carla Fernandes is also highly regarded. Former partner Marc Stalder left to join Demarest Advogados.
‘A dedicated, technical team and always delivers impeccable work. They always seek the best solution, taking into account the company’s core business, always paying attention to the customer.’
‘Great and traditional office in the real estate area, with an excellent and competent team.’
‘KLA has proven to be remarkable in truly understanding business while being fully compliant with law. Their deep academic knowledge and practical experience allow businesses to be developed in an adequate commercial way.’
‘Carla Fernandes, a senior associate, has a lot of knowledge and a great commitment to the client.’
‘Tomaz Matheus is an incredible professional with great knowledge in acquisitions and regularisation of urban areas.’
SDI Desenvolvimento Imobiliário
GOL Linhas Aéreas
Fundação Itaipú Brasil – FIBRA
Duff & Phelps
Sendas Distribuidora S.A. (Assaí Atacadista)
CIA. Brasileira de Distribuição (Pão De Açúcar)
Iguatemi Empresa de Shopping Centers
Radar Propriedades Agrícolas (Westchester)
Paula Eduardo Incorporadora
- Assisted the paper manufacturer, Suzano, on the R$1bn acquisition of 30,000 hectares of land from Duratex.
- Advised CIA. Brasileira De Distribuicao on the R$156m sale and leaseback of six stores in São Paulo.
- Represented Habitasec Securitizadora on a R$55m series of real estate receivables certificates issues.
The versatile team at Pinheiro Neto Advogados brings a broad range of expertise to real estate-related corporate, regulatory and litigation matters. Joint ventures, capital markets issues and financings form a substantial part of the team's workload, though the firm is also regularly involved in real estate investments and development projects. This includes advice on rural and urban properties, including retail, logistics, hospitality and timberland. Luciano Garcia Rossi and Franco Musetti Grotti are two of the most active partners, with Júlio Bueno and Luis Celso Cecilio Leite Ribeiro providing construction and and litigation expertise, respectively. The firm is also praised for its strong team of associates, which include Marianna Morselli and Fábio Pinto.
‘The team is multidisciplinary and collaborative, enabling quick responses to various business issues.’
‘The real estate team of Pinheiro Neto combines technical knowledge and a business oriented mindset. This makes the team a real part of the deal and not only a group in charge of draft documents. Also, the team is very solid, with associates and partners at the same level, making the workflow very efficient.’
‘Pinheiro Neto has a consistent team, with good professionals and availability to respond urgent demands with technical quality and on a timely manner.’
‘Franco Musetti Grotti is attentive and extremely assertive, facilitating discussions to make negotiations feasible.’
‘Fabio Pinto, a senior associate, is outstanding. He combines a very deep academic knowledge, with almost 15 years working in the real estate sector, and a business oriented mind to make the deals happen.’
BSP Empreendimentos Imobiliários // Bradesco
TRG (The Rohatyn Group)
- Represented Ivanhoé Cambridge on the establishment of a joint venture with Prologis involving roughly 641,000 sq. m of properties, much of which is already leased to third parties.
- Advised BTG Pactual – TIG on the $107m acquisition of timberland property from Harvard Management Company.
- Assisted Global Logistic properties on the issue of R$200m in real estate receivables certificates backed by a build-to-suit lease agreement in Duque de Caxias.
Stocche Forbes Advogados has an increasingly strong presence in Brazil's real estate market, and the launch of a team in Belo Horizonte illustrates its investment in this field. The practice, which is led by Alexandre Laizo Clápis, has experience in major residential development projects, as well as sales and acquisitions of office blocks, logistics centres, hotels and agribusiness assets. The firm also has good expertise in litigation and corporate-related real estate advice. Major investment funds form a large chunk of the client base. Partner Fernanda Rosa is also recommended.
‘With extensive experience in the market, the firm brings unique strategies and knowledge for the structuring that the client needs for his business. Dedication and organisation demonstrate how the team fits in a unique way and prepared for the demands.’
Hemisfério Sul Investimentos
XP Asset Management
LongPing High-Tech Sementes & Biotecnologia
BrasilAgro – Companhia Brasileira de Propriedades Agrícolas
Superfrio Armazéns Gerais
IBM Brasil Indústria, Máquinas e Serviços
Credit Suisse Hedging Griffo
GLP – Global Logistics Properties
São Carlos Empreendimentos e Participações
Construtora São José
HMC – Harvard Management Company
- Advised GTIS Partners and RIC-06 SPE Empreendimentos Imobiliários on the R$92.5m sale of the Barra Trade Prime building in Rio de Janeiro to SENAI CETIQT.
- Assisted Autonomy Investimentos on its R$170m acquisition of a property in the city of Mauá to lease to Mercedes Benz.
- Represented HSI – Hemisfério Sul Investimentos on the R$596m sale of a São Paulo office tower, Condomínio Parque da Cidade, to BR Properties.
Tauil & Chequer Advogados in association with Mayer Brown enjoys a good reputation in the real estate market, advising investors, banks, corporates and entrepreneurs. The team's expertise includes high-end financings, corporate joint ventures, sale and leaseback transactions and construction projects. Key partners include practice head José Paulo Marzagão and the highly rated Ludmila Arruda Braga.
Amaral e Nicolau Advogados has a strong track record advising real estate developers on construction projects; in particular, the firm has acted on several significant mixed-used developments in São Paulo. The team is jointly led by José Vicente Amaral Filho and Júlio Nicolau Filho, who respectively handle advisory and litigation matters on behalf of their clients.
‘They are great. Good attention to the subject and the client. They work well and quickly.’
M.A. Empreendimentos Imobiliários
You Inc. Incorporadora e Participações
Nortis Incorporadora e Construtora
GL do Brasil
Toledo Ferrari Construtora
MAC Construtora e Incorporadora
Teixeira Duarte Construtora
- Advised Even Construtora on a R$64m mixed-use residential and commercial development in São Paulo.
- Assisted Tegra Incorporadora on a R$45m mixed-use development project with 24 properties to be built in São Paulo.
ASBZ Advogados is equipped to advise on complex real estate development projects, acquisitions, financings and corporate ventures. The team also has good expertise on the litigation front. Clients include major developers and investment funds. Practice heads Marcelo Valença and Raquel de Moraes Laudanna Marinelli are both highly recommended by clients.
‘ASBZ has a team of experienced real estate lawyers that are reliable, creative and professional. They will continue to hammer away at issues until they find a solution they can recommend or simply and frankly tell you there is NO solution. In other words, you will always know with transparency if a decision can be taken or not. You never leave a deal wondering if you could have done it with an other law firm.’
‘The team has great knowledge in the area of local real estate legislation (which is extremely complex) regarding taxes, capability of foreclosing as well as clauses that will hold in a court in the event of a chapter 11.’
‘Marcelo Valença is a very experienced real estate lawyer that has done hundreds of real estate transactions which range from the simple to the highly complex. He is always willing to take on the most difficult of transactions and help the client get the deal done.’
‘Raquel Laudanna is an efficient lawyer and a great negotiator.’
Hines do Brasil Empreendimentos
Cushman & Wakefield Consultoria Imobiliária
GE Global Operations
Banco J.P. Morgan
Beacon Ensino Médio e Fundamental
Associação Escola Graduada de São Paulo
7 Bridges Latin America LLC
Porte Engenharia e Urbanismo
GGR Covepi Renda Fundo de Investimentos Imobiliários
Grupo São Joaquim
- Advised Ujay Capital on the R$65m pre-development financing, through a joint venture with a mortgage bank, to help acquire several plots of land for a real estate development project.
- Assisted São Joaquim on a R$77m joint venture with a real estate developer to build a 4,960 sq. m Sintra Jardins multi-use site.
Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados has a noteworthy transactional practice and represents investors in sales and acquisitions across a wide range of assets. Shopping centres, commercial office blocks, agribusiness plots, industrial properties and residential developments all feature heavily. Recently, the firm was involved in several construction projects in the hospitality and commercial office space. Practice head Marcos Lopes Prado has made a good name for himself.
Goldman Sachs and Alianza Negócios Imobiliários
General Shopping & Outlets do Brasil
Hemisfério Sul Investimentos
- Advised Hemisfério Sul Investimentos on its R$160m acquisition of 62 commercial offices located at Condomínio Iguatemi Alphaville in Barueri.
- Assisted General Shopping & Outlets do Brasil on its R$237m sale of Shopping Suzano to HBR 42 Investimentos Imobiliários and HBR Realty Empreendimentos Imobiliários.
Gasparini, De Cresci e Nogueira de Lima Advogados has a popular practice, led by the highly regarded Fabricio Barreto de Mattos. Clients range from major investment funds to family offices and corporates. As well as advising on urban acquisition and development projects, the practice has a good track record in rural real estate and forestry, where it represents foreign and domestic investors. Former partner Aldo De Cresci Neto left to set up his own firm.
‘They are always available and they go above and beyond the legal aspects of the issues, giving advice on the commercial points as well as on the negotiation tactics. It is always pleasant and easy to work with them.’
‘Fabricio Barreto de Mattos is an outstanding professional. It is amazing how much knowledge he has. He can navigate in all areas of the law as well as on the different type of transactions.’
RVD Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Sociedade Nacional de Construções e Empreendimentos Global
Guide Investimentos S.A. Corretora de Valores and NewPorth Participações
Cambium Brazil MG Investimentos Florestais
Brasilwood Terras Florestais
Diversey Brasil Indústria Química
Ardex Brasil Participações
Greenwood Resources Capital Management, LLC
- Assisted RVD Empreendimentos Imobiliários in the R$160m sale of Condomínio Iguatemi Alphaville to Hemisfério Sul Investimentos.
- Advised Guide Investimentos and NewPorth Participações in an R$81m buy-to-let of an industrial plant in Caxias do Sul.
Goulart & Colepicolo Advogados
Based in Belo Horizonte, Goulart & Colepicolo Advogados is regularly instructed by property owners, investment funds and developers on a range of real estate projects and acquisitions. The team, which includes name partner João Gilberto Freire Goulart and Patricia Araújo de Castro Vidigal, has good expertise in retail, manufacturing, residential, timberland and commercial office deals.
‘They seek to serve with the greatest agility, in a practical and effective way. They seek solutions to problems instead of bringing only problems.’
‘Patrícia Vidigal is an excellent professional, ethical and very collaborative.’
Multiplan Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Ceva Saúde Animal
Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário Quintas
EPO – Empreedimentos, Participações e Obras
AP Ponto Construção e Incorporação
ASSESHOP – Planejamento, Administração e Consultoria em Shopping Center
Breno e Rodrigo Simão Construções
J.A.L Resende Costa Empreendimentos
Associação Geral Alphaville Lagoa dos Ingleses
Best Center Grande São Paulo Empreendimentos e Participações
Best Center Sudoeste Paulista Empreendimentos e Participações
Porto Muniz Participações
- Advised Multiplan Empreendimentos Imobiliários on its R$296m acquisition of a 50.1% stake in Shopping Diamond Mall in Belo Horizonte.
- Assisted animal pharmaceuticals company Ceva Saúde Animal on the regularisation of its properties and related construction projects.
Lefosse Advogados has an experienced transactional practice that has been involved in several major acquisitions in the retail, agribusiness, education, residential and hospitality sectors. The firm represents a mix of investment funds and corporate buyers, and is noted for its strong expertise in real estate buyouts with a corporate structure. Practice head Andrea Caliento is a well-respected figure in the market, among both clients and peers.
‘This firm gives us the comfort to proceed safely in negotiations with a high degree of difficulty. The Lefosse professionals are resilient, technically very well prepared and with impeccable professional posture.’
‘High professional expertise, high level of experience, and focus on getting things done.’
‘Andrea Caliento is very participative on clients matters.’
Banco BTG Pactual
Cerberus Global Investments
Cruzeiro do Sul Educacional
Alianza Investimentos Imobiliários
- Advised BTG Pactual Serviços Financeiros on its real estate investment funds’ R$696.4m acquisition of a stake in seven shopping centres from BR Malls.
- Assisted Alianza Gestão de Recursos on its R$120.5m acquisition of a property from Telemar.
Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados has a multifaceted team with a strong grounding in complex real estate issues. The firm represents a mix of banks, including Banco Breadesco, and investors. Advice ranges from corporate-structured acquisitions and restructurings to regularisations and development projects in the retail, residential, industrial and agricultural sectors. Maria Flávia Seabra leads the experienced team, which includes partners Ivana Bomfim and Fatima Tadea Rombola Fonseca. Bruno Costa joined the team in 2020.
Hines do Brasil
OR Empreendimentos e Participações
Multiplan Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Iberica Construções e Incorporações
- Advised Ibérica Construções e Incorporações on the regularisation of a partially developed multi-use property with a hotel and residential units in the State of Bahia.
- Assisted the Alamo Group on the R$17m acquisition of a property in São João da Boa Vista.
Navarro Advogados is well respected in the market for its advice to foreign and domestic clients. The firm handles all types of real estate transactions and projects, including residential, industrial, commercial and hotel developments. Alexandre Tadeu Navarro and Juliana Rubiniak de Araújo are two of the main contacts.
Romani Cavalcante Advogados was rebranded as Romani Advogados following the departure of former name partner Ana Carolina Cavalcante. Tarso Romani retains a strong reputation, and the boutique remains popular with real estate developers and funds; it regularly advises on acquisitions and related corporate ventures. Aloísio Santini and Caroline Kok are also well regarded.
‘They are profound experts in all legal aspects of the matter, a characteristic that facilitates any negotiation.’
Rio Bravo Investimentos
Bueno Netto (BENX)
Cyrela Brazil Realty
Casa Viva (EXTO Group)
Plano & Plano Empreendimentos Imobiliários
CONX Construtora e Incorporadora
Via Veneto Group
- Represented Giedi Empreendimentos Imobiliários on the R$150m sale of the Evolution Corporate building to FII UBS (BR) OFFICE.
- Advised AMY Incorporadora on a joint venture with Tripar Particpacoes for the development of a real estate project in São Paulo.
Silveiro Advogados is establishing an increasingly strong presence in the market. Clients appreciate the leadership of managing partner Rodrigo Mutti and the expertise of up-and-coming lawyer Nicholas Paiva. The team represents a mix of investment funds and corporate owners on the full range of real estate issues, including sale and leasebacks, regularisations, agricultural investments and development projects, and is also noted for its litigation experience. Its expertise covers a range of sectors, including manufacturing, telecoms and education.
‘The team is really diligent and helpful. They are always in the client’s shoes, what make the decision process easier to the general counsel.’
‘Rodrigo Mutti is outstanding, helpful and honest.’
‘Nicholas Paiva is diligent and polite. A rising star in real estate sector.’
Terra Santa Agro
Rio Bravo Investimentos
Moreira Salles Agropecuária
- Counsel to Telefônica on all of its real estate issues, including advice on the R$185m sale of its former headquarters in São Paulo, to Credit Suisse Hedging-Griffo Corretora de Valores.
- Assisted FII Rio Bravo Renda Educacional on the R$151m acquisition and subsequent leaseback of three higher educational assets in Belo Horizonte, Betim and Ipatinga.
Souto Correa Advogados has a strong focus on high-end commercial, industrial and rural leases, representing a range of domestic and international clients on related issues. The firm has a good developer client base and regularly advises on acquisitions, construction contracts, registrations and litigation matters. Porto Alegre-based practice head Fábio Machado Baldissera is well regarded.
‘Availability, expertise in the field and very good academic background.’
‘Fabio Baldissera is very talented lawyer.’
MRV Engenharia e Participações
Panambra Sul Comércio de Veículos
MAN Energy Solutions Brasil Equipamentos e Serviços
Garra Engenharia e Construtora
Brazil Holdings One, LLC. / BZ Propriedades Culturais
Newbridge Empreendimentos Imobiliários
- Advised Brazilian real estate developer MRV Engenharia e Participações on the registration of four residential developments with 1,324 apartments.
- Represented Volkswagen dealer Panambra Sul Comércio de Veículos in two major rent review lawsuits.
TozziniFreire Advogados offers a strong blend of traditional real estate advice and innovative finance and capital markets-related support. Clients range from investment funds and developers through to corporate investors and leaseholders. Real estate transactions and leasehold agreements feature high on the agenda, as do construction projects and financings across the full mix of sectors and asset types. Vladimir Miranda Abreu leads the team.
Construtora Fonseca & Mercadante
Bresco Investimentos Imobiliários
- Advised LATAM Airlines on negotiations with Inframerica and RB Capital to finance the construction of a new cargo facility at Brasilia International Airport.
- Assisted Spotify on the contract for its new Brazilian headquarters in the Santos Augusta Building in São Paulo.
VBD Advogados is highly recommended by its clients, which include major investment funds, developers and corporate owners. The team provides contentious and non-contentious advice, covering everything from regulatory and tax support through to acquisitions, sale and leasebacks and construction contracts. Olivar Vitale enjoys an excellent reputation in the market, while Daniele Brandão Gazel de Araújo is noted for her strong transactional and finance expertise.
‘VBD Advogados has extensive experience at real estates operations with high levels of complexity, providing companies accurate, effective and safe solutions.’
‘VBD has a multi-disciplinary team directly attached to the real estate business. They understand the challenges we have in our business and dig into the problems to solve them with innovative solutions.’
‘The team has excellent technical knowledge, the service is personalised, quickly meeting customer deadlines.’
‘Olivar Vitale and Daniele Gazel know the real estate business very well and they have a huge experience, so they try to provide solutions that are not only technical/legal, but involves the whole scenario of each operation.’
Forcasa Incorporação Imobiliária e Empreendimentos
MPD Investimentos Imobiliários
BRF Brasil Foods
BMB Material de Construção Ltda. (OBRAMAX)
Cyrela Brazil Realty S/A Empreendimentos e Participações
Cencosud Brasil Comercial Ltda
Urba – Grupo MRV
- Counsel to BRF Brasil Foods on its real estate issues, including one sale-and-leaseback transaction worth over R$200m.
- Advised MPD Investimentos Imobiliários on the acquisition of several strategic properties in São Paulo.
Andrade, Foz, Hypolito e Medicis Advogados
Andrade, Foz, Hypolito e Medicis Advogados has a versatile practice; it represents a mix of corporate owners and tenants, investors and real estate developers, with advice covering development projects, leasing arrangements and sales and acquisitions. Partners Carolina Moura Foz and Fátima Regina Andrade have strong expertise in real estate transactions and financings.
MTC Realty Participações
Tishman Speyer Group
Cyrela Commercial Properties
Avenues: The World School
Brazil Senior Living
The team at Azevedo Sette Advogados is well versed in rural and urban real estate transactions. The firm serves a broad client base, including investment funds and corporate investors. The practice also has good expertise in real estate-related financings and securitisations. In recent team developments, Bruno Costa left for Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados in 2020, and Alessandra Lima Ganz was promoted to partner.
SBA Torres Brasil Limitada
GMT Holding Farm
LOG Commercial Properties
Pastifício Santa Amália
Urbamais Desenvolvimento Urbano
Petronas Lubrificantes Brasil
Companhia Brasileira de Alumínios
PSP Investiments Fund
GS1 Associação Brasileira de Automação
Nova Era Silicon
Óxidos Brasil Participações
Brasiminas Mineração e Comércio de Cal
Subestação Água Azul SPE
- Advised LOG Commercial Properties on the sale of a R$25m stake in Shopping Contagem to Fundo de Investimento Imobilario BTG Pactual Shoppings and BR Malls.
Cascione Pulino Boulos Advogados
Cascione Pulino Boulos Advogados has one of the market's most active practices for real estate-related capital markets and finance work. The firm represents several major banks and investment funds on a range of matters, including the public offering of REITs and Real Estate Receivables Certificates. Diego Gonçalves Coelho and Fábio de Souza Aranha Cascione are both highly experienced on this front.
Banco Votorantim S.A. e Votorantim Asset Management DTVM
FAR – Fator Administração de Recursos
Banco do Brasil
Caixa Econômica Federal
JPS Habitação e Comércio
TP Industrial de Pneus Brasil
- Advised Guide Investimentos, Corretora de Valores and Banco Fator on the R$299m public offering by the REIT Fator Veritá Fundo de Investimento Imobiliário FII.
Felsberg Advogados has a solid real estate practice, with particularly good experience in real estate financings and structured products. The firm represents several investment funds, both on launches and restricted placement offers. Tatiana Guerra leads the team.
The team at FreitasLeite Advogados is largely focused on capital markets and real estate finance, where it represents several major investment funds. The practice, which includes co-founder Cristiano da Cruz Leite, was boosted by the arrival of Fernanda Amaral from Felsberg Advogados. The team has recently advised on several REIT public offerings and the issuance of Real Estate Receivables Certificates. Associate Tatiana Altemari Soares is singled out for praise.
‘Freitas Leite Advogados has a strong and very technical legal team.’
‘Tatiana Altemari has outstanding negotiation skills and creative solutions for deadlocks.’
Agropecuaria Agua Clara Ltda.
Aguassanta (Casa de Pedra)
Ali Credito E Pagamentos Ltda
Aliansce Shopping Center
Angá Administração De Recursos
BR Partners Banco de Investimento
BREI – Brazilian Real Estate Investments
Brio Investimentos Imobiliários
Bzlog Empreendimentos e Participações (GIC)
Cg Investimentos Brazil Ltda.
CHB – Companhia Hipotecária Brasileira
Cosan Lubrificantes E Especialidades
Credit Suisse Hedging-griffo Asset Management
ECON Construtora e Incorporadora
FYP Engenharia E Construção
Hire Capital Ltda.
José Clemente Empreendimentos
Mclg Empreendimentos E Participacoes S. A.
- Advised the real estate investment fund RBR Gestão de Recursos on two share offerings, respectively worth R$191m and R$175m.
Lobo & Lira Advogados
Lobo & Lira Advogados has a strong track record in the shopping centre sector. Lead partner José Ricardo Pereira Lira has over 30 years' experience in the market. On top of its expertise in the retail sector, the team regularly advises on investments into residential, office, hospitality and mixed-use properties.
Madrona Advogados comes highly recommended by clients, particularly for its advice to developers and investment funds. Lead partner Eduardo Tristão is held in very high regard, and his team is well versed in major land acquisitions, sale and leaseback deals and related corporate joint ventures. Foreign clients also receive strong support in key areas like tax.
‘The whole team works in an integrated manner. When I need assistance with minor issues and follow-up of the case, I can contact any member of the team and I will receive prompt and informed answers.’
‘They have a global and multidisciplinary view of real estate transactions, with excellent technical skills from the real estate partner, Eduardo Tristão.’
‘Eduardo Tristão is not just an outside counsel, he is a true partner to our business. Whenever I need assistance, he is available. Whenever I need an opinion, he knows the subject in depth and gives me an answer right away. Whenever I have doubts, we assures me with other cases he worked in the past and that were successful. I am glad I can count on him.’
Rio Bravo Investimentos
RBR Asset Management
Sol Panamby Incorporadora
- Advised Rio Bravo Investimentos in a R$156m sale and leaseback transaction of six commercial real estate properties owned by GPA – Grupo Pão de Açucar.
Mannrich e Vasconcelos Advogados is a solid choice for real estate acquisitions and development projects. The firm regularly advises foreign and domestic investors on investments in rural and urban sites, including properties in the residential, retail, office and hospitality sectors. Post-publication, the team, including Daniel Cardoso Gomes, Vanessa Lira Dantas and Julia Cavrell Garcez took its real estate practice to newly established firm SIDC Advogados.
Pinheiro Guimarães – Advogados is best known for its strong focus on real estate-related financings and capital markets advice. The firm has good expertise advising underwriters on share offerings and also has a good track record on the issuance of Real Estate Receivables Certificates. The practice has also advised on the real estate aspects of several major energy projects. The team includes Plinio Pinheiro Guimarães Neto, Bruno Lardosa and Carolina Alonso in Rio de Janeiro, and Francisco José Pinheiro Guimarães in São Paulo.
XP Investimentos Corretora de Câmbio, Títulos e Valores Mobiliários
Rede D’Or São Luiz
EDF EN do Brasil Participações
LUCE Real Estate LCC
- Advised Banco Itaú BBA, BB – Banco de Investimento and Banco Santander as underwriters on the R$600m issuance and public offering of unsecured debentures by BR Malls Participações.
Rolim, Viotti, Goulart, Cardoso Advogados
Rolim, Viotti & Leite Campos Advogados is a popular choice for major corporate investors seeking real estate support. The team advises domestic and international blue chips from across a range of industries, including mining, steel, energy, retail, automobile and food and drink. This includes support on regularisations, due diligence exercises and acquisitions. Luis Gustavo Miranda and Fábio Appendino are the main contacts.
FCA Fiat Chrysler Automóveis Brasil
Grupo CBO – Cia Brasileira de Offshore
Vallourec Soluções Tubulares do Brasil – VSB
Kinross Brasil Mineração
Yamana Gold Inc. (Mineração Riacho dos Machados)
Sociedade de Participação Francisco Miranda
- Advised a Canadian company on the regularisation of 10 plots of land acquired for the development of an industrial complex.
Siqueira Castro – Advogados
Siqueira Castro – Advogados is a strong choice for advice on real estate litigation and related regulatory issues, including in environmental law. Partners André Frossard Albuquerque and Daniela Soares Domingues, respectively based in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, are both experienced litigators, while Carlos Fernando Siqueira Castro is active in transactional work. Clients come from a range of industries and the team regularly advises on urban and rural property matters.
‘Their concern with the global care of the client’s interests is the main differential, and commitment to the result!’
ENAXX Empreendimentos Imobiliários
Iguatemi Empresa De Shopping Centers and Icatu Holding
CONCAL – Construtora Conde Caldas
Enel Distribuição São Paulo
OR Realizações Imobiliárias
BANIF – Banco Internacional Do Funchal (Brasil)
Radar Propriedades Agrícolas
- Advised ENEL Distribuicao on real estate and environmental issues linked to the sale of land to be used for popular housing.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe offers strong support across a variety of real estate matters; it provides a cradle-to-grave service on construction projects, incorporating contractual and financing negotiations, environmental and planning issues, as well as related insolvencies and litigations. Partners Marcia Calafate and Heloísa Barroso Uelze are both highly experienced on this front.
The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints
- Assisted Eaton in the sale of its industrial plant in the city of Guarulhos, State of São Paulo.
Viseu Advogados has an extremely active practice, particularly on the transactional front, advising on roughly R$2.5bn in sales and acquisitions in the 2018-2019 period. The team, which is led by Luis Rodrigo Almeida, represents a mix of developers, construction companies, investment funds and family offices.
Cyrela Brazil Realty Empreendimentos e Participações
Toledo Ferrari Construtora E Incorporadora and Helbor Empreendimentos (Joint Venture)
Toledo Ferrari Construtora e Incorporadora
Huma Desenvolvimento Imobiliário
VIEWCO Construtora and Jiral Empreendimentos (Joint Venture)
FIDC – Fundo de Investimento Em Direitos Creditórios del Monte
- Advised a joint venture between Toledo Ferrari and Helbor Empreendimentos on the R$82m acquisition of real estate in São Paulo, and the subsequent residential, commercial and retail development of the buildings.