BMA - Barbosa, Müssnich, Aragão is seen with great regularity acting for electricity sector clients before regulatory authorities in connection with bids, concessions, environmental licensing, renegotiations of regulated contracts, and disputes. The practice also boasts strong capabilities in the fields of M&A transactions, greenfield projects, court-supervised reorganisations and tax law. The energy group is jointly led by infrastructure and regulatory specialist Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho and Carlos Frederico Lucchetti Bingemer, the latter of whom focuses on M&A, including deals involving power and renewable energy assets.
Electricity (and renewable energy) in Brazil
Ana Cândida de Mello Carvalho; Carlos Frederico Lucchetti Bingemer
‘BMA has a lot of differentiated expertise in the market. The team can assist us with a variety of matters. Carlos Frederico is our main point of contact.’
AES Tietê Energia
Abengoa Concessões Brasil Holding
We Trust in Sunlight Energia renovável e Participações
São Gonçalo Energia e Gás Renovável
ATE IV – São Mateus Transmissora De Energia
Ventos de Santo Artur Energias Renováveis
- Advised Abengoa Concessões Brasil Holding on disinvestment and decommissioning of several transmissions lines, under different stages of environmental licensing proceedings.
- Represents Ventos de Santo Artur Energias Renováveis in a lawsuit against IDEMA seeking authorisation to establish a legal reserve outside of the project’s area.
- Advising We Trust in Sunlight Energia renovável e Participações on the environmental licensing procedures of a power plant (biogas and solar) in the state of Rio de Janeiro.
Campos Mello Advogados in cooperation with DLA Piper not only has the ability to assist clients throughout all steps of project development related to non-renewable and renewable energy sources, but is also well versed in M&A transactions involving power assets. Recently, the practice has been particularly active advising on investments in net metering projects and portfolios, self-production projects, and in the negotiation of PPAs and connection agreements. Department head Fabiano Gallo is proficient in renewable energy and transactional matters. He receives key support from a team of associates, which includes Flavia Cerutti, whose experience encompasses project development, electricity regulations and operation agreements.
‘Campos Mello office is a full service office that has differentiated expertise in the energy and renewables area and in medium and high complexity projects. The office meets the demands within the agreed deadlines and always with high quality delivery. The technical capacity of the team of lawyers is excellent and there is an active collaboration of lawyers, bringing creative and effective solutions to the problems presented.’
‘The partner Fabiano Gallo has differentiated, agile technical and business knowledge, available to the client and whose experience in energy operations adds a lot to the negotiations.’
Statkraft Energias Renováveis do Brasil
Rio Alto Energia
General Electric Company
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Pivô Desenvolvimento Imobiliário
- Advised Coremas Holding II on the process of raising funds in the Brazilian market to finance and develop a 31.2MWp solar energy generation project.
- Assisting ABInbev with the negotiation of a corporate PPA for its Brazilian branch, for the acquisition of renewable power in the free market (ACL).
- Assisted Rio Alto Energias Renováveis with the legal aspects of a corporate and governance restructuring in preparation for the company’s IPO.
Cescon Barrieu offers support to major Brazilian and international companies and banks on the full spectrum of electricity matters. Clients not only seek advice on regulatory issues, M&A transactions and project finance, but also engage the team in relation to public infrastructure projects and procurement. Other areas of focus include self-generation and distributed generation projects, as well as the development of transmission assets. Maurício Teixeira dos Santos oversees the nationwide infrastructure and projects department, while Roberto Mario Amaral Lima Neto leads on project financing and regulatory matters pertaining to the power industry. Lenders, concessionaires, power trading players and sponsors regularly turn to Alexandre Leal Ribeiro Leite (who was promoted to partner in November 2021) for assistance with M&A, financing and regulatory issues.
Mauricio Teixeira dos Santos; Roberto Mario Amaral Lima
‘The firm has a qualified team that allows it to advise companies with quality and speed. Mauricio Santos and Alexandre Leite are recommended.’
‘Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados assists us in the regulatory area of the Brazilian Electricity Sector. All the analyses presented by the team so far were very successful. Roberto Lima is a professional with a high degree of quality, who always meets our demands very quickly, in addition to being knowledgeable of our business.’
‘The firm is among the best in Brazil, with a team of lawyers who know how to listen carefully to the client and provide customised solutions for complex problems.’
Cia Paranaense de Energia – COPEL
BNDES – Brazilian Development Bank
Etepa – Empresa Transmissora de Energia do Pará
Elecnor do Brasil
Insole Energia Solar
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Banco Itaú BBA
EDP Energias do Brasil
- Advised Enel X on its participation in the Street Lighting Bidding PPP Process conducted by the city of Angra dos Reis.
- Assisted Copel Holding in the unbundling of its telecoms and energy assets by means of the sale of its telecoms subsidiary Copel Telecom.
- Advised Neoenergia on the acquisition of greenfield wind power projects from PEC Energia.
The energy team at Demarest Advogados focuses on litigation and regulatory matters, providing assistance to an array of clients within the power sector. The group is knowledgeable in all key industry-related issues, and is predominantly retained by large consumers, power trading and generation clients. Contentious specialist Rafael Gagliardi is experienced in high-profile cases involving major players in the electricity market; he stands out for his track record in regulatory disputes, court litigation and arbitration in the segment. Raphael Gomes and Bruno Crispim left the firm (as of December 2020), which in turn hired (energy and natural resources) regulatory and contractual specialist, Rosi Costa Barros, as practice head, from Neiva Barros & Figueiró, Sociedade de Advogados in May 2021; she is particularly focused on the electricity segment.
Rosi Castro Barros
‘Team with extensive knowledge of the subject, strategic vision and aware of the client’s needs.’
‘Rafael Gagliardi has comprehensive knowledge of the energy sector. He is very assertive.’
Engie Brasil Energia
Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica – CCEE
Energia Sustentável do Brasil – ESBR
Transmissora José Maria de Macedo – JMM
Ferbasa – Companhia de Ferro Ligas da Bahia
Cobra Brasil Serviços, Comunicações e Energia
- Advised Companhia Energética de Brasília – CEB, Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social (BNDES) and Banco Plural on the privatisation process of CEB Distribuição and the consequent share auction won by Neoenergia.
- Advised CCEE in an collective lawsuit against União Comercializadora de Energia.
- Assisting CCEE in demands related to recent events in the market, especially the ‘hydric risk’ that considerably impacted hydraulic power plants.
Offering transactional and regulatory advice, the team at Dias Carneiro Advogados has notable strength in the negotiation of project contracts, M&A and financing deals. Several active players in the renewable energy market, particularly those involved in wind and solar generation, frequently seek the team's advice in relation to regulations, investments, project finance and development. Ricardo Sanches receives instructions from domestic and foreign energy companies, financial institutions and investment funds, which seek assistance with public procurement, project finance and regulatory matters. He jointly leads the practice with Thiago Vallandro Flores, who 'stands out in the Brazilian legal market in the area of energy and project financing'.
Ricardo Sanches; Thiago Vallandro Flores
‘Dias Carneiro is a medium-sized firm that provides first-rate legal services. They have a very strong team in the area of project finance and energy. Dias Carneiro, in particular, has a very strong regulatory team in the energy sector. Partners actively participate in calls and in reviewing documents, which consistently ensures the highest quality of services. Dias Carneiro is known for its attention to detail. The team is very integrated and proactive.’
‘In general, Dias Carneiro’s team is known for its technical excellence, speed and attention to detail. Thiago Vallandro Flores is excellent and very proactive, and stands out in the Brazilian legal market in the area of energy and project financing.’
EDP Renováveis Brasil
Inter-American Development Bank
Inter-American Investment Corporation
Vestas Wind Power
Vestas Power Development
International Finance Corporation
- Assisted Vestas Wind Power, a Danish group and manufacturer of wind turbine generators, on the negotiation of agreements with a joint venture between Votorantim Energia and the Canadian fund CPP Investments.
- Assisted Vestas Wind Power on the negotiation of agreements with European Energy, a European group founded in 2004, having 1.5GW of installed energy in wind and solar farms.
- Acted as counsel to IDB, IDB Invest and Norway-based DNB on their combined loan to Atlas Renewable Energy, destined to finance a ground-breaking Jacaranda renewable energy project in Brazil.
Edelstein Advogados specialises in energy law and provides advice to clients on an array of electricity-related matters, including regulatory issues, public tenders and administrative proceedings. Transactions involving transmission and generation projects and tax matters are other areas of activity for the department, which is under the leadership of André Edelstein, Ana Clara Toledo Brito and Gabriel Faria Bernardes. Edelstein receives regular instructions from power generation, distribution, transmission and trading companies, which also seek Brito's assistance in regulatory, contractual and environmental matters. Bernardes is proficient across regulatory and tax issues pertaining to the electricity sector.
André Edelstein; Ana Clara Toledo Brito; Gabriel Faria Bernardes
‘Team specialised in Energy with extensive experience in regulatory matters.’
‘It stands out for the proximity of the partners to the clients, their technical knowledge, and their focus on the result. André Edelstein is recommended.’
‘In addition to the technical ability and ethical standards, the characteristic that sets the firm apart is its ability to fully understand the problem and quickly design and execute solutions. Ana Clara Brito has an exceptional ability to understand the situation and bring to the table legal and regulatory elements that support decision-making.’
Cobra Brasil Serviços, Comunicações e Energia
Fotowatio Renewable Ventures
GD Solar Holding
Companhia Zaffari Comércio e Indústria
Associação Brasileira de Geração de Energia Limpa – ABRAGEL
CGN Brasil Energia
- Advised GD Solar on regulatory and tax matters related to a transaction with Ipiranga with involves investments of R$160m, and should provide savings of R$75m over 10 years.
- Acted for Enc Energy in a lawsuit questioning the ICMS tax regarding its operations; the decision may constitute a precedent in the sector of renewables energy.
- Assisted Gerdau in the negotiations with the natural gas distributor of the state of Ceará in the renewal of the gas supply and in extrajudicial measures to recognise the possibility of using a credit of R$20m.
Brasília-based energy boutique Julião Coelho Advocacia is nationally recognised for its strength in regulatory litigation before the superior courts in Brazil. Its practitioners have relevant backgrounds at ANEEL (the National Electricity Energy Agency) and are regularly sought after by major clients in relation to complex regulatory issues. The full range of services pertaining to power generation, transmission, distribution and trading are catered for by the team, which regularly acts for clients in issues related to renewable energy sources. Julião Silveira Coelho excels in litigation proceedings before the federal courts and ANEEL; Camila Alves e Fontes is a name to note for risk analysis and regulatory issues, notably those pertaining to solar power; and Pedro Henrique Maciel Fonseca combines expertise in public law, litigation and infrastructure.
Julião Silveira Coelho; Camila Alves e Fontes; Pedro Henrique Maciel Fonseca
‘A team of the highest technical level, available and able to explore how the client’s interest will be better served. It always proposes innovative ways to increase the likelihood of success in matters.’
‘Founding partner Julião Coelho is undoubtedly one of the most capable and efficient lawyers in the country in matters of the electricity sector. He has undisputed technical knowledge and focuses on providing innovative and tailor-made solutions. Pedro Fonseca is also a star.’
‘Firm specialised in energy matters, with a truly trained, up-to-date and available team. Julião Coelho is extremely intelligent, and able to explain complex issues in a clear and simple way. Camila Alves e Fontes is extremely available, attentive and careful with all the issues in which she is involved. It’s a pleasure to work with them.’
‘The service provided by the firm is very focused on the client’s needs. The in-depth knowledge of regulatory aspects and Brazilian legislation makes the firm a valuable partner in claims involving administrative and legal aspects. The ability to think of out-of-the-ordinary alternatives makes the office an important resource in complex administrative discussions.’
‘Julião Coelho has great knowledge of legislation and regulations. Pedro Fonseca is a rising star at the firm, who combines good knowledge of subjects with an above-average level of dedication.’
Associação Brasileira dos Investidores em Autoprodução de Energia (ABIAPE)
Associação Brasileira de Grandes Consumidores Industriais de Energia e de Consumidores Livres (ABRACE)
Associação Brasileira dos Produtores Independentes de Energia Elétrica (APINE)
Central Geradora Termelétrica Fortaleza
Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio – CBA
- Acts for Companhia Energética de São Paulo – CESP in a case regarding the calculation methodology of the indemnification for the reversible assets of the Ilha Solteira and Jupiá hydroelectric plants.
- Acted for ABRACEEL in the filing of an unconstitutionality claim before the Supreme Federal Court in relation to a norm set by São Paulo state concerning a tax collection mechanism for energy distributors.
- Represents ABRACE in a lawsuit that questions the inclusion of certain expenses in the rate called Conta de Desenvolvimento Energético (Energy Development Account).
The energy group at Lefosse Advogados was bolstered by the December 2020 arrival of a team of electricity experts from Demarest Advogados. The department is now jointly led by two partners: Raphael Gomes, who is knowledgeable in regulatory issues pertaining to the generation and commercialisation of energy; and Pedro Dante, whose areas of expertise include energy purchase contracts, power regulations and litigation. The recent additions to the team strengthened its regulatory and administrative litigation capabilities. Bruno Crispim is a key figure in the regulatory field, and often advises clients on power purchase agreements and transactions involving renewable energy, including wind, solar, hydro and biomass.
Raphael Gomes; Pedro Dante
‘The department of energy and natural resources at Lefosse Advogados stands out for its deep knowledge of the legal framework of the Brazilian electricity sector, combined with a broad knowledge of the dynamics of government organisations in the sector, such as the Regulatory Agency (ANEEL) and the Commercialization Chamber (CCEE).’
‘Raphael Gomes stands out for his legal knowledge of the Brazilian electricity sector and for his availability, commitment and skills in dealing with his interlocutors, which guarantees reliable and effective support. Pedro Dante is backed by his professional experience and legal knowledge, whether in advising his clients or in the oral discussions.’
‘Availability, quality, understanding of the core business of the client.’
‘Extensive experience in the electrical sector, with professionals from regulatory agencies with a proactive attitude.’
‘Team composed of extremely differentiated professionals in the energy area, always acting in accordance with new business possibilities and enabling success of clients in matters. Pedro Dante is an extremely competent lawyer.’
Engie Brasil Energia
Norte Energia – Nesa
Centrais Elétricas de Sergipe – Celse
Centrais Elétricas do Norte do Brasil – Eletronorte
- Advised Banco Plural and Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social – BNDES on the Companhia Energética de Brasília – CEB privatisation process.
- Acts for Centrais Elétricas de Sergipe – CELSE in an administrative proceeding before ANEEL that discusses the application of penalties for not closing the combined cycle of the UTE Porto de Sergipe, the largest thermal power plant in Latin America.
- Assists NESA in administrative and judicial discussions with ANEEL on the exclusion of liability for the delay in the schedule for the start of commercial operations of the Belo Monte plant.
Lobão Cosenza, Figueiredo Cavalcante Advogados
Founded in 2019, Lobão Cosenza, Figueiredo Cavalcante Advogados is 'characterised by the vast knowledge and practical experience of its professionals in the power sector'. Standing out for its in-depth knowledge of regulatory and administrative law, the firm primarily acts for clients operating in the areas of generation, transmission, trading, distributed generation and renewable energy. Litigation, commercial issues and regulated contracts are other notable areas of practice. Practice head Caio Figueiredo Cavalcante is noted for his background in power transmission, while co-leader Tiago Lobão Cosenza is recommended for public law and infrastructure projects.
Caio Figueiredo Cavalcante; Tiago Lobão Cosenza
‘The team is made up of highly trained professionals with experience in companies in the electricity sector, which allows them to come up with strategic solutions suited to the client’s needs. Elements that distinguish them from others include: agility in solutions, clear strategies, high technical capacity and fair price.’
‘Caio Cavalcante stands out for his business vision that helps clients in the decision-making process. Tiago Lobão is recommended for his commercial and business vision in the regulatory sector, focused on obtaining the best result on behalf of the client.’
‘The firm is characterised by the vast knowledge and practical experience of its professionals in the power sector. Matters are all carried out by senior professionals with years of experience in the sector. Professionals are agile and always available.’
‘My main point of contact is Caio Figueiredo Cavalcante; he has a deep knowledge of regulatory issues in the transmission segment. Caio brings to the office his years of experience as head of one of the largest energy groups in the country, so he understands day-to-day regulatory issues as well as matters that impact the entire sector.’
Linhas de Macapá Transmissora de Energia (LMTE)
ABRATE – Associação Brasileira das Empresas de Transmissão de Energia Elétrica
Celeo Redes Brasil
Perfin Administração de Recursos
Belo Monte Transmissora de Energia SPE (BMTE)
TBE – Transmissoras Brasileiras de Energia
- Providing legal and regulatory assistance to Linhas de Macapá Transmissora de Energia (LMTE) in relation to an unexpected shutdown of the transformers of the Amapá Substation, which is the object of LMTE’s concession.
- Acted for ABRATE – Associação Brasileira das Empresas de Transmissão de Energia Elétrica and made an administrative request against ANEEL’s board vote which was damaging to the auctioned transmission concessionaires.
- Hired by Belo Monte Transmissora de Energia (BMTE) to judicially request the annulment of a fine BMTE received from ANEEL as responsible for the blackout which took place on March 18, 2018.
Machado Meyer Sendacz e Opice Advogados has longstanding experience in traditional generation and renewable energy projects, acting as legal counsel to foreign and domestic companies in the power sector. The group is well equipped to assist with the full array of transactional mandates, ranging from project finance to M&A, energy auctions and commercial contracts. Regulatory issues and administrative proceedings also feature in the team’s caseload. Ana Karina Esteves de Souza, who is recommended for project finance, transactions and concessions involving the electricity sector, oversees the department, which also has notable strength in power commercialisation, trading and self-generation. Energy law specialist Laura Souza is regularly retained by international clients looking to operate in the Brazilian market. Paulo Machado - who made partner in January 2022 - is a noteworthy practitioner in project development, while the Brasília-based Cristiane Romano focuses on judicial and administrative disputes.
Ana Karina Esteves de Souza; Cristiane Romano
‘Large experience in the energy sectors. Availability at any time of the day, knowledgeable of the legal framework related to the energy emerging markets.’
‘Extremely well prepared team, up-to-date with the main developments in the sector and with high technical knowledge. Ana Karina Souza is a professional with the highest technical level and significant experience.’
EDF – Electricité de France
Sterlite Power Grid Ventures
EDP Renováveis Brasil
BlackRock Global Energy & Power Infrastructure Funds
CTEEP – Companhia Paulista de Transmissão de Energia Elétrica
Total Gas & Power
- Advised Atlas Juazeiro, an energy trading company of Atlas Group, on all stages of the structuring of a USD indexed power purchase agreement (USD PPA) and on photovoltaic power plants that will supply energy under the USD PPA.
- Provided Macquarie with a full analysis of the Brazilian energy sector, including analysis of photovoltaic and wind projects that will potentially be acquired by the client from a major energy project developer in the Brazilian market.
- Advised Omega Energia on the regulatory measures related to an incident that occurred involving the overflow of a reservoir and dam failure of a small hydroelectric plant.
Magalhães, Reis & Zagatto Advogados
Magalhães, Reis & Zagatto Advogados was founded in 2019 by Gerusa Magalhães, who is widely recommended for electricity policy matters and regulatory advice, Cristiana Reis, who specialises in regulatory issues and administrative proceedings, and Miriam Zagatto, the key contact for contractual matters and projects. The firm has quickly built a strong presence in the electricity sector acting for large consumers, generators, traders and utilities across different exploration regimes. Covering conventional and renewable sources of energy, the group excels in regulatory matters and administrative proceedings. In addition, the team regularly handles the negotiation of contracts and agreements, and advises on power projects-related issues.
Gerusa Magalhães; Cristiana Reis; Miriam Zagatto
‘The great ability to analyse issues and develop different scenarios and come up with alternatives makes the team unique. The practice also stands out for the commitment to the client.’
‘Gerusa Magalhães combines a deep legal knowledge with technical expertise specific to the electricity sector. She seeks to understand and discuss technical aspects of the problem. This makes the proposed solution more robust and less susceptible to failure.’
‘Magalhães Reis Zagatto is an office that entered the legal services market with much recognition of excellence for the composition of its team. The experience and quality of the practice in Energy Law is indisputable covering the various market segments.’
‘I would like to highlight the work of Gerusa Magalhães, who is very experienced in energy law and recognised in the market. Her warmth and availability, in addition to her great knowledge, make her a highly sought-after professional. I also highlight the work of Cristiana Reis.’
ESBR – Energia Sustentável Do Brasil
Associação brasileira de geração eólica – ABEOLICA
Comerc -Comercializadora De Energia
Libra Comercializadora De Energia
Saesa – Santo Energia
Associação Brasileira Dos Produtores Independentes De Energia – APINE
- Advises Electrogóes on administrative proceedings involving electricity power purchase agreement discussions, extension of the concession and payment of sectorial charges.
- Assisted APINE, the Brazilian Association of Independent Power Producers, in the discussions of the Brazilian Electricity Code, a proposal presented at the National Congress, which aims to consolidate the laws of the sector.
- Advises Santo Antonio Energia on the discussions of the financial impacts associated with hydrological risk.
Mattos Filho, Veiga Filho, Marrey Jr. e Quiroga Advogados has broad capabilities across the entire spectrum of mandates pertaining to power, and particularly excels in transactional and regulatory work. The team balances a busy workload, with a significant proportion of its deals involving M&A, financings, asset auctions and strategic alliances. Besides acting for electricity companies across the generation, distribution and transmission segments in sector-related transactions, regulatory issues and administrative proceedings, the department also offers legal support to private equity houses and financial institutions. Other areas of expertise include self-production and gas-to-power projects, as well as renewable energy mandates. Fabiano Ricardo Luz de Brito devotes his practice to the electricity sector, and has a wealth of experience in M&A transactions, project finance and litigation. In a recent highlight, a team led by Brito advised the National Energy Trading Chamber (Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica – CCEE) on the ground-breaking COVID Account financing mechanism. Sofia Barbosa recently joined from Ulhôa Canto, Rezende e Guerra Advogados to boost the regulatory practice.
‘Mattos Filho has teams with technical excellence in all areas of law that we need. They are always available and respond with quality and speed.’
‘The firm has a high delivery capacity, making it possible to conduct several processes at the same time, favouring the unification of the handling of issues with few interlocutors, but accelerating the deliveries we need through the involvement of its teams. Fabiano Ricardo Luz de Brito has an enormous ability to argue and negotiate with lawyers on the other side.’
‘Availability, speed of response, technical and market knowledge. Fabiano Luz de Brito and Sofia Barbosa are great.’
Câmara de Comercialização de Energia
Elétrica – CCEE
AES Tietê Energia
Atem’s Distribuidora de Petróleo
Atlas Casablanca Comercializadora de Energia
Atlas Brasil Energia Holding
Brasil Energia Fundo de Investimento em Participações Multiestrategia – Brasil FIP
Cymi Construções e Participações
Comerc Comercializadora de Energia Elétrica
Cymi Construcoes e Participações
EDF EN do Brasil Participações
Equatorial Power Distribution Companies
Equinor and Equinor Energy Ventures Fund.
Fairfax Brasil Seguros Corporativos
Fundo de Investimentos em Participações em Infraestrutura Energias Renováveis
Pátria Infraestrutura III – FIP Multiestratégia – FIP III Pátria
Argo Co-Investimento FIP Multiestratégia – Argo FIP
XP Infra III Fundo de Investimento em Participações em Infraestrutura
Celeo Redes Brasil
Companhia Ferroligas Minas Gerais
Ligas de Alumínio
- Advised Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica – CCEE in obtaining financing from Banco do Brasil, Banco Bradesco, Itaú, BNDES, Citibank, Banco Votorantim, Banco Safra, Credit Suisse, Banco Sumitomo, Banco BTG, JP Morgan, Banco ABC, Banco BOCOM, China Construction Bank and Banco Alfa.
- Assisted Atem Distribuidora de Petróleo (a fuel trading and distribution company) in the sale of all its equity interest in Amazonas Energia and in Roraima Energia.
- Advised AES Tietê Energia on the incorporation of a joint venture with Unipar Carbocloro, with the purpose of developing wind farms projects.
Melcheds - Mello e Rached Advogados
Melcheds - Mello e Rached Advogados is singled out for its knowledge of the renewable energy sector, most notably solar power and photovoltaic projects. Led by Rodrigo Mello, the practice assists domestic and foreign clients in regulatory matters, contracts and M&A transactions involving electric energy. Mello is seasoned in corporate law, M&A and financing deals, while Christiano Dias Lopes is noted for his experience in the negotiation of agreements related to the renewable energy sector.
‘They have extensive knowledge of solar energy contracts in Brazil and know the regional peculiarities. Partner Rodrigo Mello demonstrates in-depth knowledge and availability.’
‘Team with differentiated knowledge in corporate transactions in the energy sector. They have participated in relevant renewable energy operations. Rodrigo Mello is recommended.’
‘The ability to respond quickly and assertively to the company’s specificities, so that they contribute to the success of the transaction. Rodrigo Mello is excellent.’
Steelcons Empreiteira Construção Civil
New Energies Investimentos E Participações
Sungrow Do Brasil Representação Comercial, Instalação E Manutenção De Equipamentos
Zimba Evolvere Energia Spe
Infinity Do Brasil Comercializadora De Energia
Phenom Capital Group
Casa Dos Ventos Energias Renováveis
- Advising New Energies Investimentos e Participações on the sale of 100% of its equity interest in Complex UFV Alex (photovoltaic power projects of 270MW up to 310MW) to Brookfield Energia Renovável, which intends to enter the photovoltaic business in Brazil.
- Assisting Sungrow do Brasil Representação Comercial, Instalação e Manutenção de Equipamentos in the drafting, analysis and negotiation of the inverters and skids supply agreement with Grupo Pátria Investimentos/Blackstone (Essentia Energia), for a photovoltaic complex with total capacity of 415MW.
- Provided legal assistance to Zimba Evolvere Energia SPE in the development and sale of solar photovoltaic projects in the region of Serra Talhada (PE) with an approximate capacity of 119MW, involving regulatory, contractual and corporate aspects.
With a strong reputation for its knowledge of regulated sectors in Brazil, Mundie e Advogados advises international and domestic clients on a range of regulatory and contentious power mandates, with a special emphasis on the generation segment. The department excels in administrative proceedings, but is also adept at handling power purchase agreements, contractual issues and legislative matters. Leading the practice is Rafael Fabbri D’Avila, who is recognised for regulatory disputes and administrative law. Nathalie François is another key individual in the team, who focuses on power regulations.
Rafael Fabbri D’Avila
‘It has technical knowledge of the energy sector and the ability to convey this knowledge.’
‘Rafael D’Avila has outstanding technical knowledge. Nathalie François works closely with the client.’
Rio Amazonas Energia – RAESA
BEP Comercializadora de Energia Elétrica
Pequena Central Hidrelétrica Rio do Braço
- Acted for Gera Amazonas in an administrative proceeding initiated by ANEEL aiming at amending long-term power purchase agreements.
- Representing Termelétrica Viana in an administrative appeal against a series of decisions issued by ANEEL, which severely increased client’s costs in generating energy, especially regarding connection costs with the grid.
- Assisted Proton Energy in the review of all regulatory aspects associated with the operation of photovoltaic plants, and negotiation of new operation and maintenance contracts for the plants.
With a strong background in M&A, privatisations and public tenders, Pinheiro Neto Advogados‘ energy department offers comprehensive advice to a varied client roster that includes independent power producers, electric utilities, energy trading companies, large consumers of power and investors. In a recent highlight, the team acted as counsel to major banks in Brazil in relation to the credit facility known as Conta-Covid, a mechanism created by the federal government to mitigate the impacts of the economic crisis caused by the Covid-19 pandemic on the electricity sector. Department head José Roberto Oliva Júnior is proficient across all energy segments and power regulations, and often handles project finance and M&A transactions. Senior associate Julia Batistella Machado left the firm in September 2021.
‘Pinheiro Neto stands out in the energy sector for having excellent professionals with knowledge of the sector, a multidisciplinary team that responds promptly and understands the client’s business. They always propose alternatives in order to make the execution of new businesses viable.’
‘José Roberto Oliva is recommended.’
Banco do Brasil
Banco Santander (Brasil)
Banco Nacional de Desenvolvimento Econômico e Social – BNDES, Banco Citibank
Statkraft Energias Renováveis
Brookfield Infrastructure Partners
- Advised major banks in Brazil on the credit facility known as Conta-Covid, a mechanism created by the federal government to mitigate the impacts of the economic crisis caused by the Covid-19 pandemic on the electricity sector.
- Assisted VRTM in the acquisition of 14 wind projects in Northeast Brazil from Casa dos Ventos, with a total installed capacity of more than 400MW.
- Acted as legal counsel to Pátria and GIC in connection with their participation in the privatisation auction for the possible acquisition of CESP – Companhia Energética de São Paulo.
Rolim, Viotti, Goulart, Cardoso Advogados
The power department at Rolim, Viotti, Goulart, Cardoso Advogados has built a reputation for acting for industry-leading clients in the areas of litigation and complex regulatory issues. The practice is skilled at assisting with the structuring of distributed generation projects and electricity bids, offering advice on regulatory, corporate, contractual and tax law. Led by renowned energy specialist Maria João Rolim, who splits her time between São Paulo and Lisbon, the team has an impressive track record in administrative, judicial and arbitration proceedings involving electricity regulations. Recently promoted partner Vitor Sarmento de Mello is noted for disputes in the transmission, generation and distribution sectors.
Maria João Rolim
‘The team is extremely well prepared, very available and very involved in the work carried out. Maria João Rolim stands out in the energy area. She is recognised in the market as a reference in this sector.’
‘Applies technical knowledge in order to perform tasks with quality and speed. Vitor Sarmento de Mello anticipates client needs.’
‘The entire team is always available for queries and the language used in the answers greatly facilitates the client’s understanding. Maria João Rolim has always assisted us with great attention and speed, using a simple and objective language.’
Companhia de Geração e Transmissão de Energia Elétrica do Sul do Brasil (CGT Eletrosul)
Nacional System Grid Operator (ONS)
Belo Monte Transmissora de Energia
Elektro Distribuidora de Energia
Projeto Descarboniza Brasil
- Assisted Helexia in a project of generation distributed to supply Telefónica’s units in five Brazilian states.
- Representing CEMIG Distribuição before ANEEL in an administrative procedure involving tax issues.
- Acts on behalf of the Brazil’s national grid operator (ONS) in a lawsuit filed by a petrochemical company seeking indemnification for damages caused by a blackout.
Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados
With extensive experience in project development across the generation, transmission and distribution sub-sectors, Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados showcases particular strength in commercial transactions. The practice is a popular choice of counsel for financial institutions, large consumers, operators and investors seeking legal support in relation to public bids, revision of tariffs and other issues before regulatory agencies. Guilherme Schmidt undertakes a range of transactional work, including M&A and infrastructure deals. He leads the Rio de Janeiro-based group, which also includes Bruno Guedes Ribeiro, who is seasoned in contractual matters, corporate deals and arbitration. In a significant development, August 2021 saw the return of Alexei Macorin Vivan to the firm’s São Paulo office. Pedro Seraphim recently joined from TozziniFreire Advogados.
ZTT do Brasil
Fundação Conrado Wessel Group
EBrasil Norte Geração de Energia
- Represented Petrobras Distribuidora in the acquisition of a 70% equity stake of Targus Comerlizadora.
- Provided regulatory and contractual assistance to Moncarlo in the development of a shared distributed generation project, comprising the implementation of three small hydroelectric power plants.
- Assisted LMP Energy Participações e Consultoria and Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Americas in the negotiation for the construction of a major gas thermoelectric power plant of 680MW capacity in the north region of Brazil.
Sergio Bermudes Advogados is a top player in the dispute resolution market in Brazil, and has been increasingly involved in administrative disputes, appeals and regulatory issues pertaining to the power sector. Typical mandates include representing power concessionaires and companies across all electricity segments in complex disputes and project approvals. Vitor Ferreira Alves de Brito, who devotes his practice to the electricity sector and specialises in regulatory matters, heads up the department with dispute resolution specialist Marcio Vieira Souto Costa Ferreira. Lawyer and economist Elena Landau handles a steady stream of contentious matters involving electricity regulatory issues.
Vitor Ferreira Alves de Brito; Marcio Vieira Souto Costa Ferreira
‘Sergio Bermudes Advogados provides an excellent service, due to the high legal qualification of its team, which includes both renowned academics and jurists with extensive experience in litigation.’
Abradee – Assoc. Brasileira dos Distribuidores de Energia Elétrica
CCEE – Câmara de Comercialização de Energia Elétrica
- Represents Abradee in a declaratory action brought by Santo Antonio Energia against ANEEL, as well as in several Direct Actions of Unconstitutionality (ADIs).
- Defended Light in a Public Civil Action brought by the Legislative Assembly of the state of Rio de Janeiro (Alerj) aiming at making Light comply with a city law which prohibited the cutting of essential services – including power – during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Represented Energisa in filing a lawsuit against CCEE regarding the Energy Development Account (CDE).
Siqueira Castro – Advogados is recognised for its strength in regulatory matters involving the power sector. It has a well-established presence in contentious cases and regularly acts for a varied client roster in judicial and administrative proceedings. Practice head David Waltenberg is a leading figure in the electricity sector, and often leads on complex regulatory and administrative issues. Other names to note in the energy department include administrative law specialist Humberto Negrão and Eduardo Evangelista, who is experienced in generation, transmission and distribution and often handles sector-related litigation.
‘Experience in the Energy area and clarity in explanations. David Waltenberg and Eduardo Evangelista are highlighted.’
‘Siqueira Castro’s energy team has extensive experience and reputation in the sector, allowing the delivery of work with a high level of detail and depth, necessary in a highly specialised sector such as power. David Waltenberg has extensive experience in the sector. We were served with extreme courtesy, spirit of collaboration and willingness to deliver good products. We value the transparency with which they work.’
Centrais Elétricas do Norte o Brasil – Eletronorte
Companhia de Cimento Itambé
Companhia Geração e Transmissão de Energia Elétrica do Sul do Brasil – CGT Eletrosul
EDP Comercialização e Serviços de Energia
Novelis do Brasil
Operador Nacional do Sistema – ONS
Volkswagen do Brasil Indústria de Veículos Automotores
White Martins Gases Industriais
- Provided legal services to Eletronorte in relation to energy law, and defending its rights and interests in a judicial measure.
- Provided continuous legal-regulatory assistance to Gerdau regarding electric energy law, in particular, regulations applicable to its relations with energy distribution and transmission companies.
- Assisted Vale in an administrative proceeding that discusses the extension of the concession of hydropower plants.
The group at Souto Correa Advogados is well equipped to assist clients with an array of matters involving the electricity sector, having a wealth of experience in regulatory and administrative issues. The team, which has recently witnessed an increase in M&A-related mandates, is proficient in gas-to-power projects and distributed generation issues. Livia Amorim regularly counsels domestic and foreign clients which are engaged in the sale of infrastructure assets. She leads the practice with Fabio Di Lallo, whose areas of expertise include power purchase agreements, administrative proceedings and power regulations.
Lívia Amorim; Fabio Di Lallo
‘Full-service firm with great knowledge, customer service, commitment. Lívia Amorim and Fabio di Lallo have excellent technical knowledge specialised in energy.’
‘We hired the team for its expertise in the energy sector. Fabio Di Lallo was the partner who led all the advice and all the conversations. We were satisfied with the work.’
‘Souto Correa has the best and most sophisticated electricity practice in the country. Knowledge of the market and technical issues, constant updating and involvement in the drafting of legislation and solid experience in the area. The partner Lívia Amorim is a well-established name in the market and leads the practice of the office as a notable competence. Lívia is an exceptional lawyer, with deep technical knowledge and national and international experience in the area.’
Empresa Regional de Transmissão de Energia
Perfin Asset Management
Mori Energia Holding – Mori
Darby Servtec Energia – Fundo de Investimento em Participações- Multiestratégia
Companhia Paulista de Força e Luz – CPFL
Eletropaulo Metropolitana Eletricidade de São Paulo – Eletropaulo
Solatio Energy Gestão de Projetos Solares
- Advised Perfin on a risk analysis and prepared an administrative defence, and advised on a request for exclusion of liability and change of schedule before ANEEL.
- Assisted Darby Servtec Energia in negotiations with GD Solar Holding, a company specialised in solar energy, to set up special purpose vehicles to explore solar energy plants in several Brazilian states.
- Represented Raízen in a dispute involving ANEEL and CCEE.
Tauil & Chequer Advogados provides legal assistance to a diverse client roster comprising domestic and international power traders, service providers, large consumers, and electricity generation, distribution and transmission companies. The team excels in project development and financing, and has substantial experience in gas-to-power matters, self-production projects and distributed generation. In addition to assisting clients throughout the entire life cycle of power projects, the team’s broad service offering also includes M&A, regulatory issues, dispute resolution and other renewable energy mandates. Eduardo Lima, who has a strong background in acting for sponsors, lenders and government agencies in financing transactions, oversees the group alongside ‘brilliant energy lawyer‘ Débora Yanasse, the main point of contact for electricity clients seeking advice on corporate transactions, regulations and contractual issues. Bruno Salzano is another key practitioner; he is often retained by Brazilian and foreign clients in energy projects and M&A. Since publication, Julia Batistella Machado joined the firm, in November 2021.
Eduardo Lima; Débora Yanasse
‘Full-service international firm. This factor greatly facilitates cross-border deals and also assists when legal advice is needed in other areas. Débora Yanasse, Bruno Salzano and Eduardo Lima are extremely available, practical and always helping in the solution of legal issues. They are very attentive to details.’
‘The firm is involved in most of the sector’s relevant transactions, serving players of all segments and sizes, as well as different energy sources. This gives them a holistic knowledge of the system, being able to anticipate issues that would not always be visible to firms that have a role in a particular segment of the sector. The team also has a strong performance and expertise in regulatory aspects, such as complex issues related to construction contracts and asset management, arbitration and tax disputes, and a strong performance and experience in M&A transactions in the sector.’
‘Bruno Salzano works almost exclusively in M&A transactions in the electricity sector and has a track record that allows him to discuss and resolve complex business issues very easily and quickly. With a highly pro-deal approach, he makes it possible to overcome commercial barriers using his experience in the sector and giving a practical view to the transactions that is essential for closing deals.’
‘Agility and accuracy in opinions / advice; first-rate team in the most diverse areas (M&A, energy, litigation, tax, environmental); detailed knowledge of the sector. Débora Yanasse is possibly the most brilliant energy lawyer in the market. Her knowledge acquired over the years transcends the field of Energy, and is extremely useful on other fronts, such as M&A, financing and regulatory affairs in the electricity sector.’
‘Develops specific strategies with various approaches, aiming to understand situations and propose adequate solutions.’
‘Lawyers with in-depth technical knowledge of particularities in the electricity and oil and gas sector. Debora Yanasse has analytical rigour and is up-to-date with the latest developments in the power sector. Bruno Salzano is proactive.’
Caisse de Dépôt et placement du Québec – CDPQ
Atlas Renewable Energy
GE Financial Services
- Advised Dow Brasil and its affiliates in structuring the first long-term corporate power purchase agreement fully indexed to US dollars in the free market, including the purchase of renewable energy certificates, with Atlas Renewable Energy.
- Assisted Eneva in regulatory and contractual matters related to the natural gas supply for the integrated reservoir-to-wire project UTE Jaguatirica, with installed capacity of 117MW, in the state of Roraima.
- Acts as counsel to Eneva and its CEO in the writ of mandamus filed by individuals before the Court of Itapiranga, Amazonas, claiming that Eneva was in breach of the rules issued by health authorities as to Covid-19 by maintaining its business activities.
The energy team at TozziniFreire Advogados acts for a varied client base of financiers, EPC contractors, project sponsors, equipment suppliers and special consumers in the context of transactions and regulatory matters involving the power sector. Typical mandates range from advising on M&A and financing deals to providing legal support in the context of greenfield projects and privatisations of power distribution companies. The firm recently launched its Women of Energy group, which seeks to foster female representation and leadership in the Brazilian energy industry. Practice head Leonardo Miranda's experience covers contractual, transactional and regulatory mandates. Pedro Seraphim left the firm in February 2021.
‘TozziniFreire is one of the major players in the local business market. The firm has excellent know-how in the Brazilian market for infrastructure, energy, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, project finance, and Private Equity in general. The team has a very commercial and pro-business profile.’
‘Responsibly and without losing sight of their role as lawyers, TozziniFreire’s partners and lawyers have always expressed their opinions based on technical knowledge and market experience. Leonardo masters regulatory affairs and moves with ease in various areas of law that interface with the sector – corporate, project financing, administrative law and even matters of a fiscal nature.’
‘Tozzini is a full service firm with a very wide coverage in the various fields of law. The team that assists us is business oriented and knows our way of working. We work with Leonardo Miranda who is extremely knowledgeable of the market.’
Darby Servtec Energia FIP
China Jinjiang Environment Holding Company
Red Eléctrica Internacional
- Assisting Red Eléctrica Internacional in the acquisition of 100% of the shares of Argo Energia Empreendimentos e Participações by Grupo Energía Bogotá ESP and Red Eléctrica Internacional.
- Provided assistance to Grupo BP companies (BP Biocombustíveis and Castrol) in several contractual and regulatory energy matters, including the power trading business of the group.
- Advised Darby Servtec Energia FIP on the acquisition of one wind complex in the state of Ceará and one small hydroelectric power plant in the state of Mato Grosso.
Trench Rossi Watanabe
Trench Rossi Watanabe stands out for its significant experience in both domestic and cross-border projects involving all segments of the electricity sector. Working closely with the firm's project finance, tax and infrastructure groups, its renewables and clean technology experts assist hydro, wind and solar power clients in an array of matters, most notably transactions, power purchase agreements and energy auctions. José Roberto Martins, whose experience covers concessions, greenfield development projects and M&A, heads the projects department. Adam Milgrom is another name to note in the team; he is predominantly involved in public law-related issues and regulatory matters.
José Roberto Martins
‘The team has unique know-how in the energy sector. The team members are extremely professional and capable of handling different and complex matters. Also, the team is very responsive and considerate. Adam Milgrom is a professional of high technical quality. He has extensive knowledge of the solar energy industry and demonstrates strategic thinking in his interactions with clients. Excellent professional to work with.’
‘Attentive team and error-free work.’
‘In addition to the excellent academic background and high level of knowledge about the relevant industry, the team is always willing to learn about the corporate culture and dynamics so that the legal support is more and more efficient and tailor made, rather than a copy and paste format. Jose Roberto B Martins and Adam Milgron are not only key contacts and advisors, but also actual supporters for our demands as if they were in-house colleagues.’
‘Deep understanding of regulatory and legal frameworks. Jose Roberto Martins stands out for his sectorial knowledge and vision.’
Casa dos Ventos
Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems
- Advised Chinese state electricity generator SPIC on its acquisition of two thermoelectric LNG-to-power projects.
- Assisted Hitachi Limited in connection with the establishment of the joint venture between Hitachi Limited and ABB Limited in respect of the ABB Network Grids Division.
- Advised Canadian Solar on the execution of a corporate power purchase agreement between it, as the seller, and Banco BTG Pactual, as the off-taker.
With specialist knowledge across all segments (distribution, transmission and generation) of the Brazilian power sector, Ulhôa Canto, Rezende e Guerra Advogados maintains its leading position in the market. The full range of transactional, regulatory and contentious services are catered for, with the team regularly acting alongside the corporate and M&A, tax, projects and dispute resolution departments. The group possesses an impressive historical track record, which features major privatisations in the power sector, transmission and generation auctions, complex EPC agreements and high-value M&A involving power assets. Renewable energy is another strong point for the practice, which often advises on matters involving wind, solar and hydropower. Team leader Isabel Lustosa has significant experience in the electricity industry; she has acted for leading generation companies, financial sponsors and utilities throughout a legal career spanning more than two decades. Alberto Büll Da Silva is no longer at the firm.
‘It identifies new solutions by analysing pre-established models and presenting viable and suitable alternatives. Isabel Lustosa is recommended.’
‘The firm has excellent legal evaluations focused on the electricity sector, with solid and well-founded positions. Professionals have a deep knowledge of the sector’s regulations and history, which differentiates them when carrying out analyses of specific cases.’
‘In addition to the competence in the area and in-depth knowledge of the energy regulations, they are extremely committed to the results. Isabel Lustosa is profoundly knowledgeable of the regulation of the electricity sector and contracts related to the purchase and sale of energy, business structuring, etc. Alberto Bull has solid knowledge and dedicated.’
‘Knowledge of the market and its peculiarities. Alberto Bull is great.’
ABRADEE – Associação Brasileira de Distribuidores de Energia Elétrica
Brookfield Renewable Energy
Anglo American Brasil
- Advised ABRADEE with respect to the measures taken by the federal government in order to safeguard the power sector in Brazil, such as Provisional Measures no. 949 and 950/2020.
- Assisted Equatorial in the due diligence and review of the legal and regulatory aspects related to the potential acquisition of 100% of shares of a distribution utility company.
- Assisted Anglo American in connection with the due diligence and review of the legal and regulatory aspects of an acquisition of certain wind power plants, and drafting one of the largest corporate PPAs ever entered by a consumer in Brazil.
Veirano Advogados is skilled at assisting across the gamut of matters pertaining to the power sector, and showcases particular strength in M&A transactions, project finance and development. With in-depth knowledge of regulatory issues across the transmission, generation, distribution and commercialisation of power, the team stands out for its renewables experience, with expertise in wind, hydro and solar projects and assets. Tiago Figueiró specialises in M&A, but is also active in project development and litigation involving power regulations. He leads the practice with project finance specialist Ana Carolina Barretto and Daniel Engel, the latter of whom routinely assists foreign and domestic clients in renewable generation projects.
Tiago Figueiró; Daniel Engel; Ana Carolina Barretto
‘The energy team at Veirano is highly specialised in the renewable energy sector. They are very responsive and responsible. Daniel Engel provides practical advice.’
‘Daniel Engel and Paola Oliveira Lima can provide to our business correct and practical advice so that we protect ourselves yet not kill the business. This balanced advisory service has been benefiting our business in Brazil.’
Engie Brasil Energia
Morgan Stanley Investment Banking Division
Atlas Renewable Energy
Vestas Wind Power
B3 – Brasil, Bolsa, Balcão
Global Power Generation
Compass Gás e Energia
BP Gas Marketing
Eletrobrás Termonuclear- Eletronuclear
Green Enesys Holdings
GreenYellow do Brasil Energia e Serviços
- Assisting Morgan Stanley with the revision and due diligence of regulatory and environmental matters concerning thermoelectric and gas projects held by Hygo Energy Transition (Golar Power) in Brazil, in connection with the underwriting of the Nasdaq IPO of Hygo.
- Provided legal advice to Celeo Redes in connection with the acquisition of three small hydroelectric plants in the state of Mato Grosso, with a total installed capacity of 55MW.
- Assisted Vinci Partners and Global Power Generation (GPG) in connection with two issuances of debentures by Guimarania I and Guimarania II, owners of two photovoltaic power plants in the state of Minas Gerais.