Leading firms in Bangladesh
Other key lawyers:
Anita Ghazi Rahman
A.S & Associates is a full-service law firm that excels at structuring syndicated term loan facilities and debt securities as well as advising on the securisation of financial products. Other areas of expertise include providing tax management services and the promotion of ADR through its trained mediators. In addition, the skilled team routinely works with major international law firms. Managing partner A.S.A Bari leads the capital markets, energy and power groups as well as the financial and taxation practices at the firm. Ferdaus Rahman is another prominent member of the team with considerable experience in corporate governance and regulatory matters as well as in employment and labour law issues. Farhana Khan is another name to note for his work on complex corporate matters.
A.S.A Bari; Ferdaus Rahman; Farhana Khan
‘It is a knowledgeable team that is responsive and caring towards our queries‘.
‘The Firm has outstanding standards of professional service and a superior turnaround time. It is proactive about problem solving‘.
‘Ferdaus Rahman has an exceptional capacity of not only providing legal solutions, but the ability to drive complex projects of national importance forward‘.
Apex Consulting International Inc.
Apparels Stitch Limited-Patriot Group
Banco Power Limited
Banco Securities Limited
Bangladesh Power Development Board, BPDB
Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (BIDA)
Bird & Bird LLP
Brothers Construction Company Ltd.
Capita Auto Bricks Limited
Codes & Labels Limited
Concept Knitting Limited
China Exim Bank Limited
City Capital Limited
Clyde & Co. Clasis
Devotech Technology Park Limited
Dhaka Euro Shoes Limited
Diran Enterprise Limited
Doreen Power Limited
Doreen Power House and Technologies Limited
East West Container Terminals Limited
Energis Power Corporation Limited
Envoy Textiles Limited
EOS Textile Mills Limited
EPV Thakurgaon Limited
Evonik Bangladesh Limited
Financial Excellence Limited
Freudenberg & Vilene International Limited
Godrej Household Products (Bangladesh) Limited
Great Western Energy (BD) Limited
Hoda Vasi Chowdhury & Co.
Hoque Bhattacharjee Das & Co
Humac Lab Limited
Huntsman Singapore Pte Limited
Hyundai Oilbank Co., Ltd
IBCS-Primax Software (Bangladesh) Limited
IDLC Finance Limited
Infrastructure Development and Company Limited
International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh (icddr,b)
International Corporate Protection Group Ltd.
Justice & Care
Khaas Food Limited
Kite Bangladesh Limited
Krishi Gobeshona Foundation
Kushiara Auo Bricks Limited
Lanka Bangla Investments Limited
Man Energy Solution
Mars Advisory Limited
Mayer Brown LLP
Medecins sans Frontieres, France
Mills & Reeve LLP
Midland Bank Limited
Milvik Bangladesh Limited
Mitsui & Co Limited
Modupur Consultancy Limited
Navana Electronics Limited
NCC Bank Limited
NRB Bank Limited
NRB Equitable Limited
NDB Capital Limited
New Mileage (Hong Kong) Technology Limited
Nishimura and Asahi
Noor Cold Storage Limited
Norinco Intl. Power Limited
Phoenix Finance Limited
Pubali Bank Limited
Rangpur Metal Industries Limited
Rural Power Company Limited
Safko Spinning Mills Limited
Sarens India Heavy Lifting Pvt Limited
Shaoxing Keqiao Douan Imp and Exp Co. Ltd.
Smart Health Bangladesh Limited
Soorty Textile (BD) Limited
Sreemongol Consultancy Limited
Stadler Rail Valencia S.A.U.
Subra Fashions Limited
Subra Systems Limited
Taj Industries Limited
Tajingdong Consultancy Limited
The City Bank Limited
Thomson Reuters Foundation
Limited Walk Free Foundation
White & Case LLP
World Bank Group
Yonder Music Inc.
Zhejiang Huida Textiles and Garments Co. Ltd.
- Assisting the Bangladesh Investment Development Authority with the implementation of OSS in Bangladesh.
- Providing a regulatory assessment of its client’s proposed business model for exporting lubricants to Bangladesh.
- Advised Khaas Food Limited on the structuring of its business so that it can operate franchise outlets in multiple districts of the country as well as advising it on the protection of its IP rights.
- Advised JMI Group on the structure and other key terms and conditions of a large syndicated term loan facility.
- Advising Subra on the acquisition of a pharmaceutical company.
Doulah & Doulah is recommended for its considerable expertise in power, infrastructure and energy projects and for its advice on the financing aspects of these projects. Of note is the fact that the firm has so far assisted in the structuring of 68 power plant deals and has advised on a large number of the most major infrastructure projects in Bangladesh. The team is also well-regarded for its transactional work and is adept at handling large-scale international deals. A.B.M. Nasirud Doulah is recommended for his work on major infrastructure projects and is active in the power and energy sectors. Amina Khatoon's strengths lie in corporate and restructuring work. Another primary contact is A.B.M. Shamsud Doulah who specialises in the enforcement of foreign judgments in Bangladesh and also acts in ICC, LCIA and UNCITRAL arbitrations.
A.B.M. Nasirud Doulah; Amina Khatoon; A.B.M. Shamsud Doulah
‘Dr Amina Khatoon is always available and works in close partnership with her clients‘.
‘The team adopts a practical approach to our business needs and provides quick on the spot advice‘.
Islamic Development Bank
China Development Bank
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation
Shenzhen Stock Exchange
China Exim Bank
- Represented Ophir Energy in its $205m acquisition of Santos’s South Asian assets.
- Representing Scatek Solar in the project development and project financing of its 50-150MW solar park.
- Represented Export & Import Bank of China in its $285m financing of the Khulna power plant.
- Represented GE in its $50m investment in the Meghnaghat-II power plant.
- Acting for China Shandong Hispeed & Sinohydro in the project financing of the first Dhaka elevated expressway.
Dr. Kamal Hossain & Associates advises both national and international clients on a broad range of issues such as on the establishment of a business, on employment law, and on corporate restructuring. The team is also experienced at handling a myriad of disputes. In addition it has considerable expertise in areas as diverse as admiralty and shipping law, aviation, as well as constitutional and administrative law. Kamal Hossain is a prominent member of the team that also advises banks, insurance companies and financial institutions on matters ranging from central bank regulations through to capital market transactions.
Dr. Kamal Hossain; Sara Hossain; Ramzan Ali Sikder; Dr. Sharif Bhuiyan
AccentureAce Alliance Power Limited
Alipay Singapore E-Commerce Private Limited
Allen &Overy LLP
Ant Financial Services Group
APL Co. Pte Ltd
Apollo Ispat Limited
Arcelik AS, Turkey
Arnet Fox LLP
Asian Development Bank
Asian Paints (Bangladesh) Limited
Aygaz AS, Turkey
Bangladesh Shiphandling and Berth Operators’ Association
Banglalink Digital Communications Limited
Bay Fishing Company Limited
British American Tobacco Bangladesh Ltd.
Bureau Veritas (Bangladesh) Pvt. Ltd.
Ciena Communications Bangladesh Ltd.
Clifford Chance LLP
Clyde & Co. LLP
Eastern Diplomatic Services Limited
Forever Living Products
F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Switzerland
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, U.A.E.
Gard (UK) Ltd.
Givaudan Heifer Project International
Grameen Intel Social Business Ltd
Gros & Waltenspuhl
Herbert Smith Freehills GJBJ, Tokyo
Hogan Lovells US LLP
Holman Fenwick Willan LLP
HSBC Bangladesh & India
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
Japan Tobacco International
JERA Power International B.V., Japan
JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A., USA
Karnafully Steel Limited
King & Spalding (Singapore) LLP
Lafarge Holcim Bangladesh Limited
Meghna Edible Oils Refinery Limited
Maersk Trade Finance A/S
Mubadala Investment Company PJSC, U.A.E.
Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A.
Mohammadi Trading Company Limited
National Credit & Commerce Bank Limited
North of England P&I Association, UK
Norton Rose Fulbright
Paul Hastings, LLP
Phillip Morris, Hong Kong
Phillips Electronics Bangladesh Limited
Phillips Lighting Bangladesh Ltd
Portek International Pte. Ltd, Singapore
Praxis Energy Agents S.A.
Pubali Bank Limited
Raallis India Limited
Rajah &Tann LLP
Reed Smith LLP, England
Samsung (Bangladesh Branch Office)
Shah Alam and Sons
Shah Cement Industries Limited
Shearman & Sterling, Hong Kong
Sidley Austin LLP
Singapore Telecommunication (SingTel)
SS Power I Limited
Standard Chartered Bank
Stephenson Harwood LLP
Summit Corporation Limited, Bangladesh
Summit Gazipur II Power Limited
Summit LNG Terminal Co. (Pvt.) Limited
The Daily AmaderShomoy
Tata Motors Limited
Tata Steel Ltd.
Takaful Islami Insurance Limited
Tanveer Oils Limited
United Bunkering and Trading (HK) Limited
United Edible Oils
United Group, Bangladesh
Uber Technologies, Inc.
VAN AN Group
Walker &Jockie Innovation
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc
Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS)
Zurich Insurance Company, Switzerland
- Acted as local counsel to Japan Tobacco International in the acquisition of Akij Group’s tobacco business.
- Acted as common counsel for the agent and mandated lead arranger (Citibank N/A Eastern Bank Ltd) on a large syndicated loan transaction.
- Acted as local counsel for Arcelik AS, Turkey in the acquisition of a leading public limited company that trades in household appliances in Bangladesh.
- Acted as counsel for the issuer ( Ace Alliance Power Limited) in relation to the issue of preference shares.
- Acting as counsel for the issuer (Summit Gazipur II Power Limited) in relation to the issue of preference shares.
Mahbub & Company is a leading name in dispute resolution and has a strong litigation practice in the Supreme Court and the District Courts of Dhaka and the port city of Chittagong. The firm’s arbitration practice focuses on cross-border commercial disputes and disputes involving Government departments. The group regularly advises multinationals and local businesses in Bangladesh that work in the construction, energy and real estate sectors. It also works with companies that specialise in consumer products, banking and the shipping industries. The group is also well-known for its work on white-collar crime and has represented various high-profile individuals on corruption and money laundering charges. Other core strengths lie in M&A and banking. A.M. Mahbub Uddin and Saqeb Mahbub are the key contacts.
A.M. Mahbub Uddin; Saqeb Mahbub
‘It has a good balance of colleagues for lower as well as upper courts that helps see a case through from filing to final disposal’.
‘Saqeb Mahbub and his team have been truly outstanding in managing my cases. Additionally I have a great deal of confidence in them and the transparency with regards to billing has been outstanding’.
‘The level of attention the team gives is beyond any you can receive in Bangladesh‘.
‘Saqeb Mahbub’s communication skills are what really makes the difference. He has a sound understanding of local and international law, and given his international exposure it is very easy to communicate with him and the firm‘.
‘The team has experience with the NGO sector. The individuals have been polite and cordial throughout our work together‘.
Benchmark Chambers International
Continental Works Limited
DAI Global, LLC
Casio Computer Co., Ltd
UPL Limited (India)
Span Pumps Private Limited (subsidiary of Lerica International, India
Oggro Dairy Ltd
City Bank Limited
Double A (1991) Public Co.
BoP Innovation Services Bangladesh
Action Against Hunger
Muslim Aid, UK
Premier Cement Mills Ltd.
National Bank Limited
- Represented Casio in various trademark enforcement actions in Bangladesh against businesses dealing in fake Casio products.
- Advised DAI on setting up its business in Bangladesh.
- Advised Moonshot on the laws relating to countering violent extremism in Bangladesh and also drafted an international service agreement.
- Advised Benchmark Chambers International on the laws relating to the validity of an equity transfer agreement.
- Represented Continental Works Limited in various disputes.
The partners at The Law Counsel are respected for their strong litigation skills and for their ability to advise local and foreign clients on a broad range of issues. Their expertise spans commercial law, labour and industrial disputes as well as insurance claims. The group has also increasingly been advising well-known global brands on various TMT matters. The adept team has been receiving a regular flow of instructions from leading international law firms to advise on matters as diverse as issues relating to intellectual property legislation, anti-corruption laws as well as information and communication technology laws. Senior partner Abdur Razzaq Siddiq has been advising clients in the TMT sector for many years. Ehsan Abdullah Siddiq is also recommended and Imran Abdullah Siddiq has a strong record of advising clients in the telecommunications sector.
Mr. Abdur Razzaq; Ehsan Abdullah Siddiq; Imran Abdullah Siddiq
RELX India (Pvt.) Ltd.
Elsevier Ltd. (UK)
Caterpillar Power Generation Systems (Bangladesh) Ltd.
Oracle Corporation Pte Ltd. (Singapore)
Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd.
Research Triangle Institute (US)
Easy Group Ltd. (UK)
Reliance Insurance Ltd.
Akij Biri Factory Ltd.
IntraHealth International Inc. (USA)
International City / County Management Association (USA)
Supermax Group (UAE)
MGF Sourcing (Hong Kong)
V-Power Group (Singapore)
Human Aid (UK)
- Currently representing RELX India (Pvt.) Ltd. in a commercial dispute with a local distributor of books.
- Advising a group of shareholders/directors of Akij Biri Factory Ltd. in a dispute with another group of shareholder/directors regarding the legality of the payment of annual directors’ remuneration.
- Representing Reliance Insurance Ltd. in a highly publicised compensation suit that is being filed by a family members of a deceased film maker.
- Representing a victim of medical negligence in a compensation claim against the hospital authorities and the individual who performed the surgery.
- Represented a number of students in successfully challenging their expulsion from university.
Vertex Chambers focuses primarily on advising national and international clients on tax planning, corporate restructuring and high-level corporate, telecommunications and energy matters. Other key areas of expertise include advising on infrastructure projects, financing matters, aviation and intellectual property issues. Junayed Ahmed Chowdhury is an advocate of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh and in 2018 obtained a right of audience before the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. Sajeda Farisa Kabir and Tanvir Quader are also recommended and are both advocates of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. Overall the team provides an ‘excellent service’. It is ‘highly professional and provides timely services’.
‘The team is well versed in working with a foreign entity and makes that transition easy for us. Tanvir Quader is responsive, fast, thoughtful and easy to communicate with‘.
‘Vertex Chambers is considered to be one of the best law firms in Bangladesh and it surely lives up to the reputation. Junayed Ahmed Chowdhury has been admired and respected by the legal fraternity in Bangladesh‘.
‘Junayed Ahmed Chowdhury gives quick advice on any matter. He has vast knowledge and is very professional’.
‘Junayed Ahmed Chowdhury and Tanvir Quader are both easy to reach, very responsive and are excellent at providing solutions’.
Jan De Nul NV
World Bank Group
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
Pran Group of Companies
British American Tobacco Bangladesh Company Ltd.
Bay Development Limited
Green Delta Insurance Company limited
Green Delta Capital
Teach for Bangladesh
Doreen Group of Companies
The City Bank Ltd.
International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Unilever Bangladesh Limited
Omni Navitas Holdings LLC
Standard Chartered Bank
Robi Axiata Ltd.
Legal Action Worldwide (LAW)
Marico Bangladesh Ltd.
- Advising ICICI Bank on how to structure an import financing transaction.
- Advising Jan De Nul NV on various legal issues relating to its multi-million dollar dredging project with the Bangladesh Government.
- Advised on the procedure for a name change of Padma Bank Limited in accordance with the relevant laws of Bangladesh.
- Assisting as part of the amicus curiae team in researching and drafting a written submission in the criminal case of Ataur Mridha v. The State – this case is at the appellate division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh and relates to the remission of life imprisonment.
- Advising The City Bank Limited on a regular basis.
Accord Chambers fields a well-respected team that advises domestic and international clients on a broad range of issues. Its skilled team advises on the full spectrum of contentious matters as well as having considerable strength on the corporate and commercial side. It frequently works with major foreign law firms and also has an excellent shipping practice that is experienced at handling urgent admiralty disputes. Suhan Khan is a key figure and has been called to the Bar of England and Wales as well as practising as an Advocate of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh. Khan’s practice covers a wide range of areas including commercial litigation, corporate transactions in addition to admiralty suits. Khan is also known for his experience in arbitration matters and for his skill at advising on the enforcement of foreign arbitral awards. Mamun Chowdhury is another seasoned practitioner.
Suhan Khan; Mamun Chowdhury
‘What distinguishes Accord Chambers from other firms in Bangladesh is its ability to maintain international standards and professionalism. The members of the firm have a deep understanding of legal and business risks involved in complex cross-border contracts and have the experience of regularly handling project documentation and transactional structuring‘.
‘Accord Chambers means that you can rest assured about reaching the most desirable outcome in your corporate and business transactions keeping your legal interests and financial goals fully protected. The firm’s corporate department adds value at every stage of the deal’.
‘Suhan Khan is best described as the person who leads from the front at the negotiation table and achieves the best commercial outcome acceptable to all the stakeholders. He concludes negotiations and seals deals with a win-win situation and a smile for all‘.
‘I have found the team very professional, knowledgeable and detailed in its work delivery‘.
‘It does a very detailed study of all the relevant documents, choosing the precise words considering all future legal implications, very strong in negotiation with few but precise words’.
American Chamber of Commerce in Bangladesh (AMCHAM)
Bashundhara Oil & Gas Company Ltd.
Bashundhara Group of Industries
Bangladesh Sugar and Food Industries Corporation
Bashundhara Electricity Limited
Cockett Marine Oil DMCC (UAE)
Christian Aid (UK)
Decatur Industries Inc. (USA)
Geocean SAS (France)
Kirtonkhola Tower Bangladesh Limited
Lonpac Insurance Bhd. (Malaysia)
Meghna Cement Mills Limited
Mewah Oils & Fats, Pte. Ltd. (Singapore)
Samaritan’s Purse (USA)
SUEK AG (Switzerland)
Tiger IT Bangladesh
X-Index Energy Limited
- Currently representing a French corporation in an international commercial arbitration at the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Singapore.
- Currently advising Bashundhara Oil and Gas Company in its large investment in a mega oil refinery plant in Bangladesh.
- Represented X-Index Energy Limited in its acquisition of a 54.5 MW HFO fired power plant.
- Representing Kirtonkhola Tower Bangladesh Ltd. in its contract negotiations and in the drafting of a tower sharing agreement for 15 years with all the mobile network operators in Bangladesh.
- Represented a Luxembourg subsidiary in its $6m acquisition of a Bangladeshi IT company.
FM Associates fields a strong team that is adept at advising domestic and foreign clients on all aspects of setting up a business in Bangladesh. It is also skilled at assisting international and national lenders, financial institutions and borrowers as well as insurance companies on the financing aspects of these deals. Other core strengths lie in advising on a diverse range of corporate finance matters from corporate restructuring and rights issues through to advising on security regulations. Head of team Al Amin Rahman is a known name for his experience on complex cross-border transactions. Ahmed Nadim Abdullah and Ashiqul Islam are among the other names to note.
Al Amin Rahman
G4S security services company
Alstom Switzerland Ltd
Bureau Veritas Bangladesh Private Limited
International Finance Corporation
KPG Health Care
Cobra Tedagua JV
Asian Paints Bangladesh Limited
Bangladesh Branch Office Premier Bank Limited
Sasame International Bangladesh Limited
Sattar&Co. is best known for its M&A work, project financing and for its employment advice. It has considerable niche expertise in the ready-made- garment and the energy sectors in particular. It has substantial experience of advising foreign solar power companies on their entry into the local market and on their participation in bids for solar parks and projects. Other strengths include the team's considerable experience of advising foreign aircraft suppliers and lessors on leasing aircraft to companies in Bangladesh. Head of department Sameer Sattar is the name to note for his work on M&A and project finance transactions.
Xiaomi Technology India Private Ltd.
Nordic Aviation Capital
RWE Supply & Trading GmbH
ALAFCO Aviation Lease and Finance Company
Agricultural Bank of China
Canadian Solar Energy Holding Singapore PTE Ltd.
- Advising Xiaomi Technology India Private Ltd. on its entry into Bangladesh by conducting due diligence on the applicable laws of Bangladesh and on the setting up of a local entity in Bangladesh.
- Advising Carter’s on various local corporate, regulatory and employment laws.
- Advising New Asia Fashions Ltd. on a major share acquisition.
- Advised Nordic Aviation Capital Ltd. ( a large aircraft leasing company) on the lease of an aircraft to the state-owned airline in Bangladesh.
- Acted as local counsel to Agricultural Bank of China in relation to a loan that was granted to a 100% foreign-owned garment company in Bangladesh.
Syed Ishtiaq Ahmed & Associates advises local and foreign clients on the full range of legal matters ranging from civil litigation through to constitutional and corporate law. It also routinely handles large-scale project financings. Among the key names to note are Nihad Kabir who frequently appears before the Supreme Court on constitutional, company and income tax matters and managing partner Syed Afzal Hasan Uddin who is well-regarded for his advice on gas and oil exploration matters as well as power generation projects. Uddin is also known for his advice on telecommunications matters. Mohammed Asaduzzaman regularly appears before the Supreme Court and lower courts on a diverse range of civil and criminal matters.
Nazia Kabir; Nadia Rahman; Shahzeb Mahmood
TANJIB ALAM & ASSOCIATES has a strong team that specialises in advising on energy and telecoms-related work. In addition the group is adept at handling cross-border banking and finance matters as well as corporate and M&A deals. Other strengths lie in litigation, arbitration and mediation. Tanjib-ul Alam is well-known in the market for his substantial experience in diverse areas such as advising clients on gas-based and coal-based projects as well as acting as lead counsel in many syndicated transactions involving rental power projects.
Save the Children
Juki Machinery BD Limited
Juki Singapore Ltd
NDB Capital Limited
Cosco Shipping Limited
Lidl Hong Kong
The City of London Investment Management Company Limited
Brummer and Partners Asset Management (Bangladesh) Ltd.
Tesco International Ltd.
Delta Life Insurance Company Ltd
Bayer Crop Science Limited
GlaxoSmithKline Bangladesh Ltd
Frontier PE (Cayman) LP
Masco Industries Ltd
Dell Technologies Limited
The Walt Disney Co (India) pvt Ltd
Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh
A.K. Khan & Co.
Dhaka Stock Exchange Limited
Citi Bank NA
Robi Axiata Limited
Abul Khair Group Limited
DHL (Asia Pacific Regional Office)
Bangladesh Medical and Dental Council
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical Univerisity
Jamuna Oil Company Limited
Padma Oil Company Limited
Bangladesh Bank, Central Bank of Bangladesh
Consumer Knitex Limited
Eastern Bank Limited
United Group of Industries
Proctor and Gambles Bangladesh Limited
Maddhapara Granite Mining Company Limited
International Beverages Private Limited
National Board of Revenue
- Acted as counsel to Dhaka Stock Exchange in the acquisition by Shanghai and Shenzhen Stock Exchanges of some of its shares.
- Acted as local counsel to Grameenphone Limited during the acquisition of Grameenphone IT Limited by Accenture.
- Advises City Bank NA on various commercial and corporate law issues.
- Advised Robi Axiata Limited on various issues including corporate restructuring, issues related to taxation, employment and telecommunication laws.
- Advised a client on obtaining a term loan facility from HSBC.