Binder Grösswang's employment practice provides 'exceptional service'. Led by Angelika Pallwein-Prettner, who has integrated experience of data protection law into her practice, and Horst Lukanec, the team's 'broad knowledge' allows it to take on a range of work, such as restructurings/social plan negotiations, M&A support and collective bargaining agreements. The firm also advises industries on the issues relating to production shutdowns. Also of note is Sabine Apfl-Trompeter who is 'an invaluable resource'.
Employment in Austria
‘They have very experienced and motivated teams and are able to cover a lot of different topics. All cases are handled fully professionally. Competent and fast reaction, very professional in every aspect. Dr. Pallwein-Prettner completely understands our business and finds the optimum solution.’
‘The Austria Binder team are great to work with – they are technically excellent, but always very commercial, something that is key in the nature of the advice we frequently need. We are often instructing them on behalf of demanding clients with very short turnaround times and within strict fee constraints – and they always deliver. They would be my go-to contact in Austria for employment law advice.’
‘A highly professional law firm which is very broadly positioned and yet has detailed knowledge of every field of expertise. The quality of the advice is extremely high and competent and the consultants are always available.’
‘Exceptional service, always available, quick support every time, exceptional advice/consultation, exceptional knowledge in HR Legal.’
‘The employment group has provided timely and efficient advice. Their response time and work product has been excellent. Sabine Apfl-Trompeter has been an invaluable resource. She is extremely responsive and her advice is always on target. Angelika Pallwein-Prettner was also very quick to respond to my initial email, following a referral from our German employment counsel. She connected me with Sabine, who I have worked with most closely, which I appreciate because it has been more cost-effective.’
‘Always willing to help and give the right advice.’
‘Broad knowledge, very high client orientation, swift replies.’
‘The team are very patient; with their help we were able to not only manage our own internal management but also understand the issues we were facing in our own case. Sabine Apfl-Trompeter was excellent, she accurately translated both the Austrian employment law and language and made the whole experience easy for us. Sabine was very patient and understood and controlled our frustrations with the case and guided us to a satisfactory outcome in the case.’
Big Bus Vienna GmbH
Pharm Allergan GmbH
Yamaha Motor EuropeN.V.
CCB ManagementServices GmbH
Starbucks Coffee AustriaGmbH
Asics Austria GmbH
Riedel Group / TirolerGlashütte GmbH
Crocs Austria GmbH
- Advised Husky KTW GmbH in connection with the shutdown of its production in Austria, involving the termination of approximately 190 employees.
- Advised Aluminium Lend/Metalimex in connection with the shutdown of the two Austrian sites including the process of the mass layoff.
- Advised Global Payments s.r.o. (a joint venture between Global Payments Inc. and Erste GroupBank AG) on the employment law aspects of its market entry in Austria
CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH provides a broad practice, comprising transactional work, termination of management members, contract revisions and works council agreements. The firm also handles contentious issues, such as advising Siemens on an outsourced defined benefit pension scheme. The team, which is led by Dr Bernhard Hainz and Dr Christoph Wolf, serves a large number of clients in the automotive, insurance and logistics and transport sectors. Dr Jens Winter is 'very responsive', advising on individual and collective employment and data protection issues, and rising star Daniela Krömer specialises in European labour law and and social dumping matters.
‘In-depth knowledge of all employment law related aspects. Dr. Winter is very responsive. Dr. Hainz is well experienced and sometimes comes up with helpful pragmatic solutions.’
‘Excellent legal expertise (excellent balance between legal theory and practice). Open for client’s ideas and input. Willing to go the extra mile. Always delivers on time. Understands their clients’ business.’
ADX ENERGY LTD
Telekom Austria AG, A1; Telekom Austria AG; Telekom Austria Personalmanagement GmbH
IMS Nanofabrication GmbH
University of Vienna
Medical University of Vienna
Österreichische Post AG
University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna (mdw)
- Advising B&C Industrieholding on company law and employment aspects of its strategic acquisition in the automotive industry sector.
- Advising ADX on the employment aspects of its acquisition of the major domestic Zistersdorf & Gaiselberg oilfields from Austria’s oldest exploration and production company RAG.
- Advising Siemens in more than 150 court proceedings concerning the outsourcing of the previously defined benefit pension commitments to a pension fund.
The 'highly committed' and 'extremely commercial' Wolf Theiss Rechtsanwalte GmbH & CoKG acts exclusively for employers, with expertise in acting for clients in service industries such as finance and retail. Practice head MMag Dr Ralf Peschek leads a team with strong experience of litigation, such as defending ESIM Chemicals in a collective lawsuit on additional holiday claims. Dr Matthias Unterrieder is a lead partner in many contentious matters and 'provides a seamless service'. Senior associate Mag Isabel Firneis co-leads on high-profile litigation and restructuring mandates.
‘Wolf Theiss has a very good reputation with a high expertise in employment law in Austria for very fair and competitive fares. This law firm is very responsive, they study all possible solutions to provide their customers with the best possible service to allow them to take the best decision. They are easily reachable, available and very engaged in finding the best legal advice. Matthias Unterrieder and Lisa Babler’s advice is always very clear and easy to understand.’
‘Clear about the risks. They also understand the business need beside the legal issue.’
‘Wolf Theiss’s employment practice in Austria is extremely commercial and responsive, and stands out from other employment lawyers I have worked with in Austria because they understand and focus on the business drivers for their clients. Anna Schwamberger is proactive, responsive and easy to work with. She has helped me to deliver several international projects for clients within tight timescales, and commercial constraints. Mattias Unterrieder provides partner level input on matters where needed, and always takes a sensible, business-friendly approach. He provides a seamless service when working alongside the rest of his team.’
‘Extremely dedicated and fast, high expertise. Ralf Peschek – extremely experienced, far-sighted, can be reached any time, fast responses.’
‘The team of Wolf Theiss is highly committed, reliable and they are absolute experts in their fields. Each member of the team has a good understanding of the economic practice and gives legal advice that can be well applied. We especially appreciate that they are able to provide advice at short notice, if requested. We value the co-operation with Dr. Ralph Peschek and Mrs. Isabel Firneis especially, as they have provided us with valuable support in employment law related projects and questions to our utmost satisfaction.’
Addiko Bank AG
Artesyn Embedded Technologies, Inc.
Beiersdorf Gesellschaft GmbH
CCI Valve Technology GmbH
General Electric Group
- Advising and representing Oesterreichische Entwicklungsbank in a litigation case against an employee regarding the adjustment of the all-in-salary during parental part-time.
- Representing ESIM Chemicals in a collective lawsuit with unions on additional holiday claims.
- Successfully representing a leading retail company against numerous actions of Austrian finance police concerning alleged breaches of legislation on posting of workers in connection with inventory services.
Baker McKenzie Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG
Baker McKenzie • Diwok Hermann Petsche Rechtsanwälte LLP & Co KG solely acts for employers, advising on a range of matters from M&A support to corporate restructurings. Dr Philipp Maier heads the team, which handles work from high-profile clients such as Amazon and Austrian subsidiaries of international corporations. The practice's work includes advice on remuneration and terminations, as well as some contentious matters, such as aiding a firm in a multi-million Euro dispute against a former employee.
‘Reliable, accurate, very committed.’
Functional Software dba Sentry B.V.
- Acting as an adviser in an IT/consulting firm’s acquisition of an entire business. The transaction was of particular relevance from an employment perspective at it was mainly driven by the transfer of employees and required complex advice on ‘transfer of business’ legislation.
- Ongoing, comprehensive advice to Amazon in all employment law matters, eg working time and remuneration models, works council and trade union matters and collective agreements.
- Ongoing advice to a medical device business in relation to the restructuring of the client’s Austrian business and a change at the company’s senior management level, as well as advising and representing the client in a multi-million court dispute against a former employee.
Burgstaller & Preyer Rechtsanwälte GmbH
Boutique labour and employment firm Burgstaller & Preyer Rechtsanwälte GmbH focuses on employer work, acting for national and international banks and companies from a range of sectors such as insurance, manufacturing and arts and entertainment. The practice also advises top-level management on employment contracts, pension agreements and litigation against former employers. Helmut Preyer and Gerald Burgstaller head the team and are founding members of the European Employers Lawyers Association.
Former CEO of a bank
Multinational Production Company (sports equipment)
International Car Manufacturing Company
Publicly Listed Production Company (construction supply)
International Insurance Company
Publicly Listed Industry Company
Flight Control Company
Traffic safety system company
Outdoor advertising company
Chemical distributing company
CFO of toy producing company
CEO of international production company
- Representing of a former CEO of a bank in various court cases before the Commercial Court in Vienna and before the Labour Court in Vienna against the former employer and against the D&O-insurance company.
- Represented a multinational production company in the sports equipment sector in the merger and relocation of enterprises.
- Represented an internationally renowned orchestra in drafting new employment contracts and shop agreements with its orchestra musicians.
Described as 'responsive, commercial and pragmatic', Cerha Hempel is strong in the retail and finance sectors and acts in restructurings, market entries and internal investigations. A member of LexMundi and the Employment Law Alliance, the firm takes on cross-border work, handling an M&A transaction originating in Germany and counting the likes of Primark and Booking.com among its clients. Practice head Mag Julian Feichtinger is able 'to find solutions even in the most helpless cases' and senior counsel Susanne Molitoris is experienced in arbitration cases, leading on matters involving litigation, redundancies and employees hired by a competitor.
‘We use CHSH as our “go-to” firm in Austria. They are responsive, commercial and pragmatic and have excellent spoken and written English. They understand and comply with timelines for the many key international projects we deliver. We have previously used a number of other firms but we have found that their turnaround times are not as good as CHSH and their advice not as commercial. Their costs are also very reasonable when compared to comparable firms. We work primarily with Chris Peitsch – all of the above comments apply to him.’
‘The team around Julian Feichtinger and Christopher Peitsch is working fast, reliable, transparent and always solution-oriented. The billing of the fee is extremely transparent, which is not the case with many law firms. But that is especially important for in-house lawyers. Julian Feichtinger: knows the requirements, questions and challenges of its clients and responds to each of them individually and reliably. Christopher Peitsch: same as Julian Feichtinger – extraordinary skills in the field of current employment law issues.’
‘The team is not only very knowledgeable, but also very much focused on finding solutions for the customer. This is a strength not very often found with law firms in my opinion. CHSH is very practical in their approach to finding a solution. Mr Feichtinger is the lawyer that I have worked with in the last 17 years. The reason for our long-lasting relationship is his trustworthiness, his negotiating skills and his ability to find solutions even in the most helpless cases.’
All Nippon Airways
Booking.com (Österreich) GmbH
Flughafen Wien AG (Vienna Airport)
FlextronicsInternational USA Inc
Grünenthal Austria GmbH
Primark Mode Ltd & Co KG
SPAR Österreichische Warenhandels-AG
Unibail-Rodamco Austria Management GmbH
- Exclusive adviser to CNH and its subsidiaries, such as Iveco, as regards questions under Austrian employment law such as, for example, developing a comprehensive company car policy, questions in relation to several parental leave cases, etc.
- Represented ANA, the largest Japanese airline, in all employment related issues regarding its market entry in Austria.
- Advised Immundiagnostik AG on employment law aspects of a cross-border M&A transaction.
DORDA Rechtsanwaelte GmbH's employment team has 'comprehensive knowledge' and 'very good understanding of international contexts'. Sector expertise includes pharmaceuticals and life sciences and the firm handles contract design, collective bargaining agreements and terminations of employment. The practice is headed by Mag Elmar Drabek, B.A. and Mag Thomas Angermair; the 'fiercely brilliant' Angermair represents prestigious Viennese cultural institutions such as the Wiener Symphoniker. Rising star Mag Lisa Kulmer has particular expertise in works council and working time matters, with past experience as in-house counsel in the banking sector.
‘Thomas Angermair adds value to our business through his vast experience with HR matters and his practice-oriented no-nonsense-approach. Compared to other firms, I appreciate the quick turnaround as well as the perfect client care we receive from Dorda. Thomas Angermair is fiercely brilliant and highly experienced with employment matters. He is able to systematically break down even the most complex legal issues, while never losing sight of our business needs. Thomas Angermair has represented us in multiple court procedures. I feel confident having him by my side. His associate, Theresa Nindl, is consistently responsive and works tirelessly to assist us. She clearly does not shy away going that extra mile for clients.’
‘Always provides pragmatic, hands-on advice, very good understanding of international contexts. Thomas Angermair: great project management, precise legal advice, pragmatic thinker and easy and enjoyable to deal with.’
‘Gives important advice on legal and also on collective agreements. Very friendly.’
‘The team have a comprehensive knowledge of Austrian employment law and are adept at explaining complex terms and provide sound solutions. The team also connect with others across the firm where there may be cross-over into other issues. Florina Thenmayer is very responsive when we have issues, has a thorough knowledge across employment issues and provides clear, rational solutions.’
Boston Consulting Group
- Advising GE Healthcare’s life sciences division in all matters of employment law. The group’s legal advice ranges from day-to-day advice and contract design, to representation before the courts of law and assistance with works council negotiations.
- Advised OMV on a number of service agreements concluded between OMV and its business partners.
- Supporting Wiener Symphoniker in negotiations with a trade union regarding the amendment of their collective bargaining agreement after the Vienna Court of Auditors recommended that a number of financial cuts be implemented, including in respect of bonus and pension expenditures.
Eisenberger & Herzog takes on a broad range of work, including defending employers against claims by unions and works councils; the firm handles collective agreements and disputes after mass redundancies. The small team also deals with M&A work and management and employment contracts. Practice head Dr Jana Eichmeyer advised on employment law issues of a company restructuring after a merger.
ProSieben Sat.1 PULS 4 GmbH
Austrian Airlines Group
- Advising ProSieben Sat.1 PULS 4 GmbH / ATV regarding the merger-related restructuring of ATV and resulting labour law questions.
- Advising Austrian Airlines Group on the part shutdown of its subsidiary, Tyrolean Technik, which when followed by a TUPE into Austrian Airlines caused mass terminations in the Tyrolean company. Unions and a works council filed several claims (including an application for interim measures).
Eversheds Sutherland | Stolitzka & Partner RAe OG provides 'a fantastic customer-oriented attitude'. Work includes collective bargaining, litigation claims up to €1m and contracts advice. Practice head Mag. Silva Palzer and senior associate Lukas Plösch are also skilled in M&A and corporate law, which means the firm is 'smooth and efficient in M&A transactions'. The team represented Incadea in proceedings brought by three former employees for unjustified termination.
‘The employment team at Eversheds & Sutherland, headed by Mrs. Silva Palzer, brings a lot of value to our HR topics in the company, not only in providing brilliant legal advice but also with respect to the capability to think outside the box.’
‘They work very close together and update each other. Always great support. Clear and very professional but also very human.’
‘My contact always acts in an exceptional customer-oriented way. They were willing to solve my requests in the shortest possible time. Mrs. Silvia Palzer is outstanding in the way of keeping contact with customers be it online or also on social media like LinkedIn. She acts kindly and in a very calm way which is from the customer point of view especially in stressful situations a key element in discussions. Mr. Manuel Boka always reacts and acts in a very professional and fast way. He also gives direct and fast information by phone if needed, not wasting too much time on detailed written descriptions which others very often demand.’
‘Good communication between the partners. Smooth and efficient in M&A transactions. Perfect support during SPA negotiation phase. High expertise in GDPR. IT knowledge helps to set up professional agreements especially with group IT centralization projects.’
‘On time in full competent delivery. Always reachable, always to the point, short lead times. I do work closely with the Austrian and German team under the lead of Manuel Boka and Silva Palzer. All members of the two mentioned teams are sound professionals, knowledgeable, and with a fantastic customer-oriented attitude. The approach from Eversheds is more to solve and help in the cases, and not so fee oriented. Eversheds is rather a system partner for me than a supplier.’
‘Made it simple for me to understand and provided clear guidance on labour-related matters. Karin Koller was quick to respond to our questions and inform us in an easy-to-understand way the pros and cons of the decision that the organization wanted to make.’
Orange Business Services
- Assisting Bernd Hösele TradingAgency Gesellschaft m.b.H. and Alina Parfümerien GmbH, which have the same owner, in the review and amendment of all their employment contracts and their policies and other regulations in place, including data protection.
- Assisting Incadea GmbH with the planning of terminations of employment contracts and the related court proceedings after notice had been provided.
- Assisting Johnson Controls/Tyco with the planning of a merger and its employment implications (transfer of undertaking), with particular focus on collective bargaining agreements, and also assisting with employment contracts and the request of employees to change to a four-day week.
GERLACH | Littler
GERLACH Rechtsanwälte is a boutique firm focusing exclusively on employment, with a small team led by 'star in the field' Roland Gerlach and Markus Löscher. The practice acts for both employers and employees; it is representing employees of the Bank Austria in a long-running employment contract and pension/health insurance dispute. Clients include premium clothing manufacturers and IT and cloud-based service providers. The team takes on restructuring, working time systems, negotiations with works councils and unions, and expansion of business activities.
‘The cooperation with all employees of the law firm works perfectly. The reaction time is within 24 hours. We value most with Dr Roland Gerlach the fast response time and the competent and professional advice.’
‘We have used Gerlach for the past six years. We have internal competence, but are a Norwegian company and prefer to use Gerlach for more complicated issues and situations since we lack competence in Austrian law. Markus Löscher is our contact person. He is skilled/updated, thorough and always with quick response. Friendly attitude and solution-oriented. Excellent discussion partner. Always available. Does not complicate things. We also have used Roland Gerlach. He is also excellent.’
‘The team is led by a learned and savvy lawyer, Dr Roland Gerlach, who is renown as a leading expert on Austrian labour and employment law throughout Europe and even in the USA. He is perfectly bilingual and experienced in all kinds of fields, including counsel to top managers and mass litigation on behalf of employees. He is supported by a team of young lawyers, earning their spurs in variety of fields, including retirement schemes (complicated issues). Trailing his fame is the “rising star” in the field, Mag. Markus Löscher, a young, ambitious attorney who is extremely dependable in responding quickly to a client’s concern. Both are charismatic personalities, each in their own way.’
‘Roland Gerlach and Markus Löscher are absolute experts in Austrian law with very practical approaches. Highly responsive and deep understanding of clients’ needs. Roland Gerlach: very pragmatic and experienced. Markus Löscher: fast-thinking counsel with very good understanding of legal problems and solutions.’
‘Very friendly and fast in handling of enquiries and needed legal support. The team of Roland Gerlach has provided individual and personal legal advice in different areas of labour law. It has advised on labour-related matters in the course of our international M&A processes as well as in local works council topics and separation agreements. The service has always been granted in the highest professional standards.’
Evonik Performance Materials GmbH
Spanische Hofreitschule -Bundesgestüt Piber GöR
G. Coreth Kunststoffverarbeitungs GmbH
Varner Retail AS
Card Complete Service Bank AG
Webster University Vienna
Works Council Bord Personnel of Austrian Airlines
Kansai Helios Coatings GmbH (former Ring Alliance)
- Acting for individual employees of Bank Austria in the courts on the deterioration of employee contracts and forced transfer from the more advantageous company system regarding pension insurance and health insurance to the state pension system.
- Advising Evonik Performance Materials on labour law in connection with the closure of a site.
- Representing a large public sector employer in terms of introducing a new working time system.
Led by practice head Franz Marhold, Herbst Kinsky Rechtsanwalte GmbH takes on a range of work, such as collective labour disputes, working time, terminations and cross-border postings of employees. The practice recently won a case before the European Court of Justice on the issue of the sixth holiday week, for one of its new health sector clients; the firm has also taken on a number of new clients from the retail sector.
‘The team is very friendly, cooperative and forthcoming. They support and represent us in legal matters with professionalism. On employment issues I am working with Mr. Mag. Christoph Ludvik. He provides our company with professional legal advice and supports me in my work. His knowledge is exceptional and he is a very pleasant person to work with. I know I can always count on him.’
Spar Österreichische Warenhandels AG
Apollo Optik Holding/Pearle
Rudolf Ölz Meisterbäckerei GmbH&CoKG
Georg Fischer companies
AGES Agentur für Ernährungssicherheit
Lycée Francais de Vienne
Eurotherme/Resort Bad Schallerbach
LGT Bank AG
Marinomed Biotech AG
KAGES – SteiermärkischeKrankenanstalten GmbH
Österreichischer Genossenschaftsverband (Schultze Delltzsche)
- Acts as lead counsel to SPAR – one of Austria’s largest commercial enterprises – regarding occupational pensions, severance payments (legal opinion), working time aspects and management contracts.
- Advised and represented Eurotherme on questions related to the sixth holiday week before the European Court of Justice.
- Intensive legal advising of Apollo Optik/Pearle in connection with all employment law related issues (eg litigation matters and implementation of newly revised collective bargaining agreements).
Formed in 2018 after a split from Kunz Wallentin Rechtsanwälte GmbH, the employment practice at Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH hosts a large team taking on cross-border work, such as advising a global gaming group and an international oil and gas company. The practice is headed by Georg Schima, who specialises in directors' and officers' liability and corporate governance issues, and Birgit Vogt-Majarek, who led the team in representing Austrian Airlines in 120 salary reduction claims. Work includes collective and individual employment law, restructurings, manager employment contracts and pensions.
Austrian Railways (ÖBB)
EMC Computer Services
EntServ Enterprise Services Austria GmbH
Johnson & Johnson
Salinen Austria AG
SSP The Food Travel Experts
- Represented Austrian Airlines in approximately 120 court cases in connection with claims of pilots and other board personnel concerning salary reductions (so-called ‘crisis contributions’) based on a savings programme of the company (stated in a specific collective bargaining agreement that has been terminated).
- Advised DXC on contentious and non-contentious employment law matters – eg bonus schemes, data protection, employment contracts, restructurings in combination with the closure of places of business, as well as with the recent preparation of its planned merger with EntServ/HP.
- Advised Johnson & Johnson on contentious and non-contentious employment law issues, especially in connection with several acquisitions, restructurings, outsourcings, bonus schemes, pension regulations, works council agreements, update of data protection documents due to recent legal changes, as well as with an internal project concerning the restructuring/relaunch of various employment related documents etc.
Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte) offers 'pragmatic solutions' to clients such as AKH (the Vienna General Hospital), UniCredit Bank Austria and Syneos Health. Practice head Stefan Kühteubl led on advising Terex Corporation on an intra-group carve-out of parts of its business, one of the team's regular collaborations with the corporate and M&A department. A network of 14 offices in Central and Eastern Europe enables the firm to take on cross-border work. Such work includes termination of manager contracts and supporting employers in negotiations with works councils and unions.
‘What we really appreciate about the team is that they are not only specialists in their field but have a very hands-on approach. They always offer pragmatic solutions, also in complex cases or if our requests not only involve employment law. We further value their dedication and that they deliver advice very quickly. As a client we really feel very valued.’
‘Working with Teresa Waidmann is always a pleasure. She is deep in each case and goes the “extra mile” for us. She is very responsive, her answers are of excellent quality and always to-the-point. We also trust her with cases involving other legal fields besides employment, eg she is currently leading the Schoenherr team supporting us with all legal aspects of the establishment of our Social Impact Banking initiative in Austria. With her, we know that we are in good hands.’
‘Straightforward, pragmatic; high legal expertise, availability and engagement.’
AKH (Allgemeines Krankenhaus Wien)
UniCredit Bank Austria AG
Art-Invest Real Estate Group
Technische Universität Wien
- Advising the Allgemeines Krankenhaus Wien (AKH – the Vienna General Hospital) on employment and labour law matters and representing the AKH in proceedings before industrial tribunals. The work involves a mixture of applicable labour laws and provisions, as the doctors fall under private employment law and nursing and administration staff fall under civil service law.
- Provides comprehensive employment law advice to Magna group and represents the group’s entities before courts.
- Advised Terex Corporation, a global manufacturer of lifting and material processing products and services, on the Austrian law aspects of the sale of its Demag Mobile Cranes business to Tadano Ltd (Japan).
Taylor Wessing enwc Rechtsanwälte GmbH's two-partner team is led by Mag Wolfgang Kapek, who focuses on redundancies, reorganisations and restructurings. The practice, which has 'excellent labour law know-how', mostly covers non-contentious work, such as advising a cosmetics company on implementing a whistleblowing system and Panasonic on cross-border engagement of employees. It regularly acts for businesses in the food sector, such as Nestlé, and has branched out into the transport sector, for example handling post-merger integration of a logistics company.
‘The team, led by Wolfgang Kapek, is very reactive and they know how to “make the law work”. Wolfgang Kapek is “on top of things” and not just remotely following files as responsible partner. You feel that the approach is partner driven.’
‘Excellent labour law know-how and they are able to give you hands-on advice even if the legal situation is not 100% clear. Considering the Austrian labour law we highly appreciate this approach. Very fair billing, quick reaction time in case of urgency; we can always call and get some quick advice on how to react in a immediate and legally correct way. This is the most important aspect of Taylor Wessing’s labour law service for us. Wolfgang Kabek – partner, but always available for us and ready to give advice (via telephone, email – no matter how).’
‘Very experienced, international expertise, focused on solutions. Very reliable, excellent know-how, fast responding. Best recommendation: Wolfgang Kapek, partner.’
Wiener Medizinische Akademie Kongreß GmbH (WMA)
Nestlé Österreich GmbH / Nespresso Österreich GmbH & Co OHG
GroupM OG, MediaCom – die Kommunikationsagentur GmbH
Tyrolit Schleifmittelwerke Swarovski K.G.
Eisbär Beteiligungs GmbH
Lafarge Perlmosser GmbH
eismann Tiefkühl-Heimservice GmbH
Vorwerk Austria GmbH & Co KG
SHISEIDO GROUP AUSTRIA GMBH
Panasonic Electric Works Austria
Leykam Let’s Print Holding AG
Europapier Austria GmbH
Otto Bock Healthcare Products GmbH
- Advised SHISEIDO on the implementation of a group-wide whistle-blowing system taking into account current developments at European level (Whistleblowing Directive), both from the point of view of employment law and data protection law.
- Regular advice for Vorwerk on employment issues, such as in-house training for management and the legal department; enforcement of contractual penalties against (former) employees for poaching; settlement of pension entitlements; advice on bonus/target agreements; and comprehensive advice re self-employment status of sales force.
- Supported Panasonic in relation to a complex cross-border engagement of employees.
DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach's practice counts international corporations among its clients, many based in the technology sector. A small team advises employers on employment issues during market entries, terminations and mass redundancies, and court disputes against former employees. Practice head Mag Stephan Nitzl has 'years of experience' and is 'very efficient and effective'.
‘Professional work, above all remarkable knowledge in legal topics full of complexity. High specialisation on customer-specific tasks and questions and none of them remain unanswered. Outstanding support and engagement.’
‘Rich experience of local employment case practice, good understanding of the common needs of the employer and skilful on conducting negotiation with the opposite. Very familiar with Austria law, policy and regulations regarding employment. Stephan Nitzl has years of experience in employment issues and is always able to contribute his valuable ideas when cases go difficult. He can fine-tune his strategy and mode base on the client’s needs and most of the time he is very efficient and effective to get the case moving forward and eventually get resolved.’
BASF Österreich GmbH
REHAU Gesellschaft m.b.H
SodaStream Industries, Ltd.
Wizz Air Hungary Kft.
Voi Technology AB
Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A
Lime Network B.V
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Dialog Semiconductor GmbH
METRO Cash & Carry Oesterreich GmbH
AT&T Global Network Services Nederland B.V.
Scientific Games Corp.
Job Rocker International GmbH
- Advising Voi Technology AB , a fast-growing Swedish start-up active in the rental of e-scooters, on the employment law aspects of their market entry in Austria.
- Advised on redundancies and terminations for an aviation client.
- Advising a technology client on a mass redundancy and court dispute.
Fellner Wratzfeld & Partners assists former public companies, involving the complexity of advising on integration and contracts for former civil servants. It also handles regulatory remuneration policies in the banking sector, representing UniCredit in a dispute involving employees' salary classification. Led by Kurt Wratzfeld, the practice handles contentious work before courts, conciliation boards and commissions, in addition to advising on works agreements, employee data protection and terminations.
UniCredit Business Integrated Solutions Austria GmbH
Imperial Tobacco Austria Marketing Service GmbH
Konica Minolta Business Solutions Austria GmbH
University of Applied Arts Vienna
Greek National Tourism Organization
Ludwig Boltzmann Gesellschaft
- Advising UniCredit Business Integrated Solutions Austria GmbH on numerous uniform complaints of employees for incorrect classification within the salary model (including representation in court).
- Advising Imperial Tobacco Austria Marketing Service GmbH in connection with the responsibility for employee data in conformity with the GDPR. Also providing client with continuing advice and representation on all matters of employment law.
FREIMÜLLER/OBEREDER/PILZ Rechtsanwält_innen GmbH
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Jakob Widner leads Graf & Pitkowitz's two-partner team, which represents clients such as the Chamber of Commerce, Hertz and VELUX. The practice works closely with the restructuring and corporate teams, such as advising equity investor GAEBB on the TUPE issues of its acquisition of a clothing retailer. Work includes representation in lawsuits on changes to pension schemes and unfair dismissal, and working time matters.
Chamber of Commerce
Vereinigte Bühnen Wien (VBW)
- Represented the Chamber of Commerce in a new wave of lawsuits stemming from changes to its pension scheme.
- Advised Pfisterer Holding AG on management buy-out and related redundancy measures/transfer of undertakings.
- Advised SITA Information Networking Computing B.V. on a discrimination and unfair dismissal lawsuit by the former chairman of the works council, claiming standing through ‘attachment’ of Vienna operations to Netherlands headquarters so as to increase headcount of operations that is required for bringing such a claim (uncharted ‘legal territory’; no clear case law).
Dr. Helmut Engelbrecht Rechtsanwälte
Dr. Helmut Engelbrecht Rechtsanwälte works exclusively on employment matters, focusing particularly on public employment law; the practice advises political subdivisions, outsourced companies and institutions. Clients also include companies in the financial, insurance, healthcare and technology sectors. The 'very experienced' Helmut Engelbrecht heads the team, which has 'deep expertise' in pensions and collective labour agreements. The firm gained employment and medical law specialist Maria Schedle as partner from Schima Mayer Starlinger Rechtsanwälte GmbH in October 2019.
‘What makes this practice unique is the deep and profound knowledge of the Austrian individual and collective labour law in the private and public sector. The success quota at trials is outstanding. Once again it’s the deep and profound knowledge of Dr. Engelbrecht in the Austrian individual and collective labour law in the private and public sector, combined with individual fast support (very fast responding times if needed). Dr. Engelbrecht has been working now for several years as a ‘stand alone’ player. From 1st of October he has now found an equal partner which will lead to more capacity and an even broader approach.’
‘Very outstanding is the deep expertise in special fields like pension systems and collective labour agreements.’
‘Mr. Engelbrecht is very experienced, his advice is always helpful and precise. Every written pleading of Mr. Engelbrecht is very sound. He never tends to seek a conflict, always bears the interests of his clients in mind.’
‘HR experts, quick answers, pragmatic approach, always up-to-date; newsletter with important topics is very helpful. Dr. Helmut Engelbrecht is directly in charge of all our HR topics.’
‘Excellent strategic skills, very individual care, great knowledge of the public social insurance and employment law, simply successful in every case he was engaged.’
‘High expertise, very flexible.’
‘Perfect service and labour law competence, broad experience. Helmut Engelbrecht is one of the leading labour law lawyers.’
‘Dr. Engelbrecht combines a strong theoretical/scientific background with pragmatism.’
- Regular consultancy and representation to an employer in employment law related matters, in particular advising on a social security classification procedure.
- Representation of employer in proceeding regarding an alleged discrimination of an employee regarding his ideology because of his political activities combined with the non-extension of his temporary employment contract.
- Employment law related consultation especially during mergers with other companies and representation in proceedings before the equal treatment commission.
Kunz Wallentin Rechtsanwälte GmbH
MOSATI advises national and international companies, and their boards and managers on areas including the termination of employment contracts, working time issues, equal treatment in the workplace, data protection, and pensions. It also represents clients before various courts. Andreas Tinhofer heads the team.
Zeiler Floyd Zadkovich
With 'a very pragmatic approach', zeiler.partners Rechtsanwälte GmbH covers the industrial engineering, retail, pharmaceuticals and media sectors. The team successfully represented businesses before ombudsmen and employment tribunals in termination disputes. A recent EU directive prompted a focus on how new trade secrets legislation affects employment contracts. Practice head and founding partner Hans Georg Laimer has 'excellent knowledge' and regularly co-authors employment law textbooks.
‘Hans Georg Laimer distinguishes what is important for a construction company: very high practical orientation, very high pragmatic approach to solving legal issues – even for non-industrialized persons – legal issues are reduced to a very simple one. Extremely high level of inquiry time for inquiries.’
‘Very good quality advice, good availability and competitive rates. Hans Georg Laimer has a very pragmatic approach.’
‘The strengths of the law firm are its expertise, comprehensive feedback and fast response time.’
‘Information is promptly passed on and reacted to. Zeiler.partners provide excellent information meetings on special law topics for their customers on a regular basis. Hans Georg Laimer has excellent knowledge in his field of expertise and is always prepared to gain a deep understanding of his customer’s needs and processes. He has a good focus on the practicability of his suggested legal solutions.’
‘HR experts, quick answers, pragmatic approach, always up-to-date, HR breakfasts organized by Zeiler.partners are very useful to be updated; most of the time direct contact with Dr. Hans Laimer; he is also doing a lot of research work and has issued a wonderful book with practical hints.’
- Successfully representing a leading Austrian contracting business against their previous manager in four pending lawsuits before the Employment Court and the ombudsman for disabled employees (Sozialministeriumservice).
- Successfully supporting the client in an ongoing court case against its works council with regard to the potential change of the current working time schedule in the client’s various production lines before the special conciliation board (Schlichtungsstelle).
- Supporting the client with the introduction of a data protection law compliant HR system, preventing the enforceability of a general entitlement of its employees to a four-day working week, and representing the client in a court case before the employment tribunal against one of its former employees.
Dr Alexandra Knell
Dr Alexandra Knell's expertise covers broad commercial law together with labour law. She also provides mediation and arbitration experience.
Barnert Egermann Illigasch Rechtsanwälte GmbH advises on employment issues of M&A and business transfers, acting for Deutsche Beteiligungs in its acquisition of Catalysts. Contentious work includes representing both employers and executives in court proceedings, such as Spectranetics and a former CEO. The 'experienced' and 'reliable' Clemens Egermann leads the practice and advises Philips and DPD.
‘Clemens Egermann is competent, experienced, reliable.’
‘Clemens Egermann works precisely, he considers pros and cons of each following step. Moreover, he gives you answers and responds in a short time.’
Philips Austria GmbH
Spectranetics Austria GmbH
White-collar employees works council of Xerox Austria GmbH
DPD Direct Parcel Distribution Austria GmbH
Gesellschaft Österreichische Kinderdörfer
Bauarbeiter Urlaubs- und Abfertigungskasse
Kromberg & Schubert Austria GmbH & Co KG
- Austrian counsel for employment and real estate law aspects of Deutsche Beteiligungs AG ‘s acquisition of Catalysts GmbH.
- Austrian counsel for employment, trade law and real estate law aspects of Bruker’s acquisition of Alicona Imaging GmbH.
- Represented Spectranetics Austria GmbH before the labour court.
Kinner Korenjak LAW
Kinner Korenjak LAW works exclusively on employment law, advising firms from industries ranging from transport to medicine including Siemens Healthcare. The 'highly responsive' Wolfgang Kinner leads the practice and advises on works constitutions, restructurings, outsourcing and anti wage dumping. The practice represents executives and supervisory boards in contract negotiation and court disputes.
‘Wolfgang Kinner has broad experience in HR law and employment litigation and is both cool-headed, determined and pleasant.’
‘Dr Wolfgang Kinner is a highly responsive individual, offering sound legal advice, addressing all relevant circumstances of the matter. You can trust he sticks to existing timelines and fee quotes given.’
‘Excellent knowledge around employment contracts. Capable to simplify and sharpen things. Outstanding commitment.’
‘I appreciated Wolfgang Kinner’s professionalism and reactivity. He demonstrated responsiveness to our changing needs and was able to be proactive in providing solutions and making necessary adaptations to the documentation.’
Siemens Aktiengesellschaft Österreich
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics GmbH
Siemens Personaldienstleistungen GmbH
- Employment advice to Coficab Group.
- Employment advice to aWATTar GmbH.
At BLS Rechtsanwälte Boller Langhammer Schubert GmbH, Thomas Boller leads on work, mostly advising corporates on the full range of issues including drafting contracts and collective bargaining agreements, dismissal and pension matters.
KÖRBER-RISAK Rechtsanwalts GmbH
Boutique employment firm KÖRBER-RISAK Rechtsanwalts GmbH focuses on contentious work, such as lawsuits brought over contracts, dismissals and allegations of corruption. The firm represents employers, former employees and employer organisations, taking on the first-ever Supreme Court case regarding flexi-time for the federal employers' organisation for companies in the metal trade. Work also includes advice on working time matters and M&A. The practice is headed by Katharina Körber-Risak, who has 'outstanding knowledge in industrial law', and Moritz Lindner, who was promoted to partner in November 2019.
‘Team with very good knowledge; complementary with focus on different scopes. Ms Katharina Körber-Risak: outstanding knowledge in industrial law. Very high service orientation and reachability.’
‘Professional, expertise, quick response.’
Assista Soziale Dienste GmbH
Bundesinnung Metalltechniker (employers’representation for metal trade companies)
Coveris Flexibles Austria GmbH
Greenyard Fresh Austria GmbH
Stadt Wien (City ofVienna)
Social Security Agency for Public Servants (BVA)
Superfund Asset Management GmbH
Wien Energie GmbH
Wiener Linien GmbH & Co KG
Wolfgang Altermann (former managing director of “Kronen Zeitung”)
- Representing Wolfgang Altermann, former managing director of Kronenzeitung, in a compensation lawsuit worth €510,000.
- Representing Assista Group in a series of lawsuits against an employed department manager.
- Representing the employers’ association Bundesinnung Metalltechniker in the first-ever Supreme Court case regarding flexi-time and 12-hour workdays without premium.
KWR Karasek Wietrzyk Rechtsanwälte GmbH's practice focuses on non-contentious work but successfully ran a claim against works council elections. Clients include Coca-Cola and Estée Lauder. The firm advises on mass redundancies and transfer of businesses, wage and social dumping and working time matters, as well as assisting with cross-border posting of employees for clients such as Lindner Group. Practice head Anna Mertinz also heads the data protection team, bringing a specialism in employee data protection and GDPR issues.
‘Deep expertise in labour law; very practical approach to solve complex problems for customers. Anna Mertinz is a highly professional expert in her field; she always gives practical advice and focuses on the concrete need. Very good speaker for labour law events.’
ROI Management Consulting AG
Coca-Cola HBC Austria GmbH
Kraftanlagen München GmbH
Estee Lauder Cosmetics Ges.mbH
Willis Towers Watson Austria GmbH
Start-up and franchise companies (eg Die Lieferei GmbH)
Rohde & Schwarz Österreich GesmbH
LYRECO Office & Work Solutions (multinational company in the field of office equipment)
- Assisted Markas GmbH in HR-related questions connected to working time, employment contracts, a collective bargaining agreement and place of work. Successful claim against works council elections. Assisted in all questions regarding works council elections and the rights and duties of an employer.
- Comprehensive advice and assistance to Lindner Group in cross-border projects regarding employee-related questions (cross-border posting of employees, collective bargaining agreements, anti-wage and social dumping etc), drafting of working time models, acting as responsible person and contact person in case of frequent controls by Austrian authorities and Austrian Financial Police, handling of control and post-control issues.
- Legal advice to ROI Management Consulting AG in employment law issues regarding its Austrian subsidiary with a focus on working time models, contract law and management contracts. Setting up of a process for cross-border posting of employees and related compliance issues. Setting up a process of internal and external responsibilities in HR-related questions.
Employment boutique Prchal Anwaltsbüro takes on a mix of contentious and non-contentious work for clients including Agent Provocateur, pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca and technology and software companies. The firm has also represented high-level executives in negotiating exit terms. Matters handled include non-compete agreements, drafting of contracts and working time models. Founding partner Robert Prchal is 'very experienced in the field', with particular expertise of the hotel sector and foreign assignments of workers.
‘High client focus. We never actually had to explain something more than once, we immediately had the feeling of being understood. This is very rare in my experience. I can only recommend the Prchal law firm to everyone, the results and the way the law firm works are highly professional – we were perfectly satisfied with hiring Prchal law. Robert Prchal is one of the very few lawyers who possesses legal and economic know-how at a very high level. His knowledge of our industry is also very high. We always had the impression of talking to someone from our industry. He immediately understood our concerns and guided us excellently through the advisory process.’
‘Practical and pragmatic approach, hands-on to clients, responsiveness appreciated by international clients. Robert Prchal always gives legal advice on the spot and is very well handling clients referred to him.’
‘Very short response time, when assistance or advice is needed. Your adviser is always senior and experienced, the answers readable and understandable, even for non-lawyers. Robert Prchal is very experienced in the field, knows all the ins and outs of labour law. He is able to strip the problems to the core, thus giving company management perfect material for the decision process. Mag. Prchal’s experience is fundamental for the risk and cost evaluation of any legal proceeding.’
‘Swift and clear legal advice; Robert Prchal is also very responsive! I always work together with Mr. Prchal regarding all employment and labour law issues in Austria. His advice is always useful and straight to the point.’
‘The team has a deep understanding of our requirements far beyond the legal perspective. We always receive precise analyses of scenarios and recommendations for further action. Such proactive suggestions are rare in many law firms. Prchal is completely different here – based on the firm’s comprehensive know-how, you always get clear answers and suggestions. I always enjoy working with Robert Prchal. He is always well prepared and generally leaves behind a feeling of security and competence. His knowledge outside of legal issues deserves special mention: he simply knows the industry in which our company operates very well and therefore immediately understands what we are talking about. Many lawyers focus far too much on the purely legal aspect. In our business, knowing local practice is nearly as important as knowing the law.’
‘Response to customer requests is always quick The team consists of different experts and knows what is important for us. Robert Prchal is our first contact if we need some assistance in labour law issues. His expertise helped us many times to avoid a lawsuit. He is always friendly, reacts promptly, with an high engagement, if we need his expertise and he knows immediately what is important to us, he knows us well. We trust him a lot and we can only recommend him.’
EQOS Energie Österreich GmbH
AstraZeneca Österreich GmbH
value one holding AG
Cornerstone on Demand
Hotusa Hotels group
Premier Research Ltd
URSA Dämmsysteme Austria GmbH
ClinTec Austria GmbH
Oaklins TJP Corporate Finance GmbH
- Advised Herrmann Ultraschall GmbH on the premature, unjustified resignation of an employee claiming termination entitlements in court. The employee is now working for a competitor and Prchal Anwaltsbüro has filed a lawsuit for the client for breach of post-contractual non-competition.
- Advised WaveOptics on questions of engaging employees directly in Austria and preparing employment contracts, including adaptation of the group employment contracts as well as business protection agreements.
Founded in 2018 by practice head Dr Ursula Roberts, PwC Legal Austria-oehner & partner's practice combines employment and immigration law. The group advises on collective agreements, service contracts, working time models and work and resident permits. Roberts has a focus on employment contracts and representing clients in severance and dismissal litigation.
Saxinger, Chalupsky & Partners (SCWP Schindhelm) frequently acts for public employers but also for corporations, such as defending a firm against penalties for employment law infringement by foreign subcontractors. Wels/Vienna-based Ronald Heinrich and Linz-based Bettina Poglies-Schneiderbauer head the team, which specialises in employment transfers, temporary employment and executive contracts. Work often includes cross-border elements, including advising on the bankruptcy of the German subsidiary of a high-profile US firm.
‘Very professional approach, hard working and very loyal. Extremely detailed preparation of the court meetings; poor selling skills for own position at the court.’
‘They finish their job in time, deliver what they promise, good consultants, always looking for solutions, compare costs vs outcome/result, understand our business and our problems.’
Kühne + NagelGesellschaft m.b.H.
Schindler Attorneys has particular expertise of the employment matters of M&A transactions, such as aiding Frey Holdings with issues with former employees. The firm also advises employers on collective labour law; practice head Barbara Klinger acted as part of ASFINAG's negotiation team for the company's collective bargaining agreement. The practice handles working time models, work permits and employment contracts.
C & A
Demner, Merlicek & Bergmann
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis
Toyota Frey Group
Technisches Museum Wien
Styria Media Group
VR Equity Partners
- Preparation for the upcoming negotiations of the company collective bargaining agreement for 2,600 employees of ASFINAG Group.
- Advises the Birko Group on day-to-day employment issues, among them the mutually agreed termination of employees enjoying special protection against termination, averting remuneration claims brought forth by employees out of court as well as drafting contracts for works and services.
- Advising Frey Holding on post-M&A issues with former employees following the sale of Toyota Frey Austria, the Austrian general importer and wholesaler of Toyota and Lexus cars to Toyota Motor Europe.