A deep bench of highly-rated and experienced lawyers are the hallmarks of a Marval O’Farrell Mairal team that clients single out for ‘impeccable’ legal advice, ‘professionalism’ and ‘clarity’. Highly-experienced transactional lawyer Pablo Viñals Blake and corporate head of department Pablo A Artagaveytia co-lead the firm’s transactional practice. Both come with formidable M&A track records working on large, complex cross-border deals. Agribusiness and private equity expert Viñals Blake led on the acquisition of Adecoagro by Baya Casal, where Marval was engaged to work for both buyer and seller-sides; while Artagaveytia fronted the firm’s advice to US mining company Alacer Gold in its $1.7bn merger with Canadian counterpart SSR Mining. The firm’s expertise also extends into technology deals, with influential fintech and real estate expert Hernán Slemenson leading advice to San Francisco-based software developer Globant and private equity company Riverwood Capital on a capital injection into Argentine education tech company Digital House; and pharmaceuticals, where the firm supported Merck Sharp & Dohme Argentina on a cross-border reorganisation. Insurance, aviation and energy are among the many other industries in which the firm has a strong presence. Other notable names in the firm’s impressive practice include banking and finance team head Santiago Carregal, who works closely with the corporate group, and the M&A-focused Pablo Garcia Morillo, who advised Walmart on the sale of its Argentine operations to Grupo de Narvaez, and Diego Krischcautzky. Veteran senior partner Héctor Mairal is also a key presence, with young partners Diego A Chighizola, María Macarena García Mirri and María Laura Bolatti Cristofaro (who was raised to the partnership in August 2021), among the emerging pool of talent within the firm’s ranks.
Corporate and M&A in Argentina
Pablo A Artagaveytia; Pablo Viñals Blake
‘At the cutting edge on corporate and M&A issues.’
‘Excellence in legal advice in the areas of M&A and corporate; flexible thinking to provide agile and fast solutions.‘
‘Ability to adapt quickly and keep its clients informed in an agile and clear way.‘
‘Response in a timely manner. Clarity and quality of advice.‘
‘Diego Krischkautzky and Macarena García Mirri stand out for the excellence of their work.‘
‘The legal advice is impeccable.‘
‘It is a team that shows solidity, empathy with the client and professionalism.‘
‘They are always available and flexible when required, even more so if it is on short notice.‘
‘Always focused on delivering the deal with the ability to identify what is material and needed. Great technical capacity.’
‘This team addresses issues in a totally comprehensive way.’
Sumitomo Chemical Company
Banco do Brasil
Turner – Time Warner No
EMS Capital (Edmond Safra) No
- Assisted Walmart with the sale of Walmart’s entire Argentine business to Grupo de Narvaez, including 31 hypermarkets and some 60 other stores.
- Ongoing assistance to Argentine state-owned aviation group Aerolíneas Argentinas in relation to its merger with sister company, Austral Líneas Aéreas.
- Advising on the cross-border reorganisation of Merck Sharp & Dohme Argentine business, involving the incorporation of several entities abroad and a new Argentinean entity.
The ‘responsive, efficient and pro-active’ corporate and M&A practice at Beccar Varela is co-led by Roberto Crouzel and Roberto Fortunati, who also leads the firm’s natural resources unit. The team prides itself on its full-service capabilities and clients note its ‘very broad’ knowledge of corporate law. The team’s focus spans national and cross-border deals, with financial services, fintech, agribusiness and energy among its favoured areas. It is comfortable advising multinational corporates, domestic groups and local entrepreneurs. Matter highlights include advising ICBC China on the acquisition of the stake in ICBC Argentina still held by Standard Bank; working with US fibre-optic and voice-data group Transtelco on the purchase of Latin American connectivity services group, Neutrona Networks; and advising US mobile phone manufacturer Brightstar on the sale of its Argentine assets to Mirgor. Partner Tomás Allende, who led on the Brightstar deal, is among the practice’s key team members and also leads the private equity sub-practice. María Shakespear and Carolina Serra (who was raised to the partnership in April 2021), are praised by clients for their ‘experience, interpersonal skills, bargaining power and creativity and ability to unlock complex legal issues’, while senior associate María Eugenia Radaelli stands out for her ‘deep knowledge of corporate issues’ and ‘innate leadership skills’.
Roberto Crouzel; Roberto Fortunati
‘The group led by Roberto Fortunati as a partner, and by Eugenia Radaelli, as a senior associate, give us great confidence. Eugenia is a responsive a point of contact when we have complex questions (including labour, regulatory, competition, consumer protection, taxes). She is in charge managing the team and always gives us a complete and comprehensive answer.’
‘They function as an excellent extension of our legal department. The firm’s knowledge of corporate law is very broad, and its relationship with the other areas that are relevant to us is very close, which allows it to have answers of very good legal quality in a short time.’
‘Eugenia Radaelli has a deep knowledge of corporate issues, and innate leadership skills.’
‘The quality of their work and the speed of their responses has been exceptional. It is a real pleasure to work with this team.’
‘Very experienced and responsive with a practical approach and solutions.’
‘I want to highlight the professionalism and full disposition to accompany us throughout the process. As a strong point I want to highlight the experience and excellent diligence.’
‘The team led by Alejandro Poletto, accompanied by Eugenia Radaelli and Victoria Hugo, has performed its duties extraordinarily. Among the qualities are the experience, professionalism, and tranquility to advance through the complex moments that every deal goes through.’
‘The firm has great teamwork, being constantly in continuous communication with each other and with our company, which generates very fluid and organized work.’
‘The speed in responding to inquiries, the importance they give to each service they provide and the way in which they take care of every detail, no matter how minimal, from the partner to a junior employer sets Beccar Varela apart.’
‘The team of Beccar Varela provides our group with valuable legal advice, a detailed legal view and a pragmatic approach on the topics raised, which help decision making.’
‘Emilio Beccar Varela is an outstanding lawyer to work with. Responsive, efficient and pro-active. Carolina Serra was very effective.’
‘Excellent negotiating power and coordination of complex transactions with competitive fees.’
‘Maria Shakespear and Carolina Serra are the people I choose to lead M&A transactions. Their experience, interpersonal skills, bargaining power and creativity and ability to unlock complex legal issues stand out. They are a great team.’
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC China)
Quintana Energy Fund
Prisma Medios de Pago
- Advised Industrial and Commercial Bank of China on the $181m acquisition of Standard Bank’s shareholding in the companies ICBC Argentina, ICBC Investment Argentina and Inversora Diagonal, which represented 20% of the total shares in each of these companies, in the process becoming the sole shareholder in all trhee entities.
- Advised Brightstar on the sale of its local assets to the Argentine company Mirgor, which will control 100% of Brightstar Argentina and Brightstar Fueguina.
- Advised Stagwell and Code and Theory South America on the acquisition of Truelogic Software, Polar Bear Development, and Ramenu, from their respective founders.
Bruchou, Fernández Madero & Lombardi is recognised for its ‘excellent teamwork’ and ‘hard-working, business-oriented’ approach. The firm’s blue-chip reputation in banking and finance provides the M&A practice with a strong presence in the financial services sector, as evidenced by the work for Standard Bank on the $180m sale of its remaining stake in ICBC Argentina to ICBC China. In addition to financial services, the practice has built a presence in energy and oil-and-gas, with mandates including work for Equinor on the acquisition of a stake in the Bandurria Sur onshore block from Schlumberger, and advising Vista Oil & Gas on the purchase of stakes in Aleph Midstream from the incumbent group of private equity sponsors. Mariano Luchetti, who has extensive power industry experience, heads the practice and is a member of the firm’s executive committee. Firm chairman and founding partner Enrique Bruchou remains an influential member of the team. Estanislao Olmos, who led on work for software company Grupo Assa in its $74m sale to Globant, as well as on the Standard Bank transaction, demonstrates ‘conceptual solidity, commitment and professionalism’. ‘Extremely smart and hardworking’, senior associate Nicolás Dulce has had a strong year, advising on multiple transactions across a range of sectors. The firm can also now count on senior April-2021 hire, of counsel Javier Lozada (formerly Danone’s GC for the Southern Cone), who focuses on corporate and governmental affairs, corporate sustainability and social responsibility, and regulatory and compliance matters. Since publication, corporate-specialist senior associate Florencia Angélico has been raised to the partnership - effective as of April 2022.
‘Excellent teamwork stands out with fast and very good internal communication with the other areas of the firm.’
‘The team deliver a high professional level and an excellent communication skills with clients. Estanislao Olmos is excellent.’
‘Their unique blend of skills includes being hard-working, business-oriented, up-to-par with the training. Their lawyers are outstanding when it comes to dealmaking and bring an extensive knowledge and track record.’
‘Hugo Bruzone knows the regulators, market participants and trends like no other and is always constructive at the negotiation table. Estanislao Olmos thinks commercially and has M&A and antitrust skills, a very valuable combination Argentina. Senior associate Nicolas Dulce is a partner in the making at Bruchou. He is extremely smart and hardworking.’
‘The M&A team of Bruchou, Fernandez Madero & Lombardi stands out for working as a true team with the company’s in-house attorneys. They are deeply involved in the issues, not limiting their participation to the strictly legal. Estanislao Olmos stands out for his conceptual solidity, his commitment and professionalism.’
‘We have worked with the corporate finance area of BFML for more than 10 years in no less than 8 transactions. During this time the team was always led by the same person, which gave a lot of consistency and deep knowledge of our business.’
‘The team brought a lot of rigour to the process and a lot of experience. Alejandro Perelsztein and Estanislao Olmos show mettle and determination in complex situations.’
Vista Oil and Gas
Armstrong World Industries
Apollo Global Asset Management
Mitsubishi Corporation and Linklaters
- Assisted the ultimate controlling shareholder of Grupo Assa Worlwide with the sale of 100% of the group’s capital stock to Globant – subject to certain adjustments and instalments, including an earn out based on certain revenue targets.
- Advised Equinor on its acquisition (in conjunction with Shell Argentina) of the 49% stake held by Schlumberger in the Bandurria Sur onshore block in Neuquén, Argentina.
- Advised Vista Oil & Gas on the agreement with affiliates of Riverstone and Southern Cross Group to purchase all of the issued and outstanding equity interests of each of the financial sponsors in Aleph Midstream, for an aggregate purchase price of $37.5m.
Mitrani Caballero & Ruiz Moreno Abogados is best known for its stellar work in cross-border M&A and prides itself on extensive expertise in complex, multi-jurisdictional transactions. Recently the firm acted for long-term client Tenaris in the formation of a joint venture with Inner Mongolia Baotou Steel to construct a steel pipe threading plant in Mongolia; and also advised Swedish-based Hexagon, a manufacturer of sensor, software and autonomous technology, on its acquisition of distributor MDE Network in Buenos Aires. The firm’s sector knowledge also extends into energy, agribusiness and food; and its M&A capability is complemented by ongoing general corporate work for a diverse roster of domestic and international clients, which include private equity and venture capital. The widely recognised Cristian Mitrani leads the corporate and M&A offering. The high-profile Diego Parise, who draws on deep regulatory and transactional experience, is another key individual and advised on the Tenaris deal alongside Juan Ignacio Soma and Veronica Zarate. Experienced competition, anti-trust and M&A practitioner Siro Astolfi is another notable figure, alongside fellow corporate and competition expert Aixa Sureda, who is known for work on complex deals. Compliance, FCPA and AML and anti-corruption specialist María Paula Diaz was promoted to partner in early 2020 and senior associate Fiorella Belsito is also well-regarded. However, Diego Minerva recently departed the firm after retiring from the legal profession.
CNH Case New Holland
Hutchinson Ports / BACTSSA
Mitsui & Co
MMA (Manufactura de Motores Argentinos)
Molinos Río de la Plata
Robert Bosch Argentina Industrial
Southern Cross Group
The Dow Chemical Company
UPL (formerly, Arysta Lifescience)
Viesgo (formerly E.On)
- Advised Tenaris on a joint venture with Inner Mongolia Baotou Steel for the construction of a steel pipe threading plant in Inner Mongolia.
- Advised Swedish-based Hexagon, a manufacturer of sensor, software and autonomous technology, on its acquisition of distributor MDE Network in Buenos Aires.
- Acted as legal advisers to Southern Cross Group in connection with its sale -in conjunction with Riverstone- of the issued and outstanding equity interests in Aleph Midstream to Vista Oil & Gas.
The Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites & Arntsen corporate and M&A practice is known for serving a broad client-base of public companies, private businesses, entrepreneurs and private equity and venture capital managers. Clients note the firm’s ‘experience in international financial matters’ and the ‘personalised attention’ it provides. The practice is active across multiple sectors, with mining, food and agribusiness prominent in recent years. Matter highlights include acting as local council to Nufarm in the acquisition by Sumitomo Chemical of Nufarm’s agrochemical business in South America; serving as local council to Swedish engineer Sandvik on its $1.1bn acquisition of mining solutions company DSI Underground from European private equity firm Triton; and acting for CIAPEXA on the sale of gold mining and exploration company Minera Don Nicolás to Cerrado Gold. The respected Jorge Pérez Alati, a veteran dealmaker in Argentina, co-leads the team alongside the ‘highly experienced’ Santiago Daireaux and Eugenio Aramburu , who has a strong private equity and M&A practice. Since publication, former counsel Pedro Menéndez San Martín has moved to Estudio Bunge as a partner (effective as of November 2021); and Tomás Pérez Alati (corporate/M&A and banking and finance) has been raised to the partnership – effective January 2022.
Jorge Perez Alati; Santiago Daireaux; Eugenio Aramburu
‘What makes Perez Alati’s team stand out is its multi-stakeholder nature in each topic consulted, the accessibility partners and immediacy in the response.’
‘Santiago Daireaux is a highly experienced professional in M&A matters.’
‘Personalised attention and available 24/7. A lot of experience in international financial matters and particularly the ability to represent us in contracts with US law.’
‘Pedro Menendez is a very efficient associate. He is always available and demonstrates solid experience in commercial and financial matters.’
Phoenix Global Resources
First Data Corporation
- Acted as local counsel to Nufarm in the acquisition by Sumitomo Chemical of Nufarm’s agrochemical business in South America.
- Acted as local counsel to Swedish engineering company Sandvik on the acquisition of multinational mining-solutions company DSI Underground from European investor Triton for $1.1 bn.
- Assisted CVC Turismo with the acquisition of Almundo by acting as local and international counsel to CVC subsidiary Submarino Viagens.
‘Dedication and attention to detail’ are the hallmarks of the Allende & Brea team, which is led by experienced M&A lawyer Valeriano Guevara Lynch and corporate and finance partner Santiago Sturla , who clients praise for his ‘comprehensive vision to solve problems’. The recently promoted partner Tomás de Cío is also highly rated by clients, with agribusiness specialist Raúl Fratantoni and transactional expert Diego Botana additional key contacts. The team has an impressive roster of insurance clients, which it advises on corporate and M&A matters. Agribusiness, technology and mining are among its other industry strengths. The practice demonstrates considerable capability advising on cross-border deals, such as advising General Electric on the Argentine aspects of the sale of its BioPharma business to General Electric.
Valeriano Guevara Lynch; Santiago Sturla
‘The relationship with Allende & Brea as excellent. The get into matters in an exceptional way. They do an exhaustive research on the issues and invest time in order to fully understand a matter. Their predisposition to spend time outside of normal hours is exceptional. The provide 24/7 attention.’
‘They work as a team and are very solid. They are very efficient in terms of response times. They drive the processes. They put aside the formality and stuffiness of the big firms to become co-workers. The have a high degree of training and demonstrate dedication and attention to detail.’
‘The team is always available to answer our calls and they coordinate teamwork in an exceptional way. They are very practical in solving any problems arise.’
‘Tomas Di Cio and Santiago Sturla have a comprehensive vision to solve problems and stand out for being very clear in their presentations and explanations not only for the company’s lawyers, but also for communicating with other professionals trained in different areas.’
Brightstar Capital Partners
CBRE Richard Ellis
Ge Digital International
Mercedes-Benz Camiones y Buses Argentina
The British Council
- Advised General Electric on the sale of its BioPharma business to Danaher, incuding the negotiation of local agreements and corresponding corporate registration filings.
- Advised Codere on a debt offering, involving working on the restructuring of €250m in existing debt so as to facilitate the deal.
- Advised Grupo Fortabat on the reorganisation of its agribusiness and mining operations, which involved structuring a tax-free spin-off / merger of real estate and other assets.
Baker McKenzie leverages its international network to secure a steady flow of cross-border M&A mandates. Recent work highlights include advising European software company Visma on the acquisition of Latin American HR software-developer Zetech and helping clinical research provider iTrials establish a joint venture for Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine clinical testing programme. Office managing partner Gustavo Boruchowicz heads-up the M&A and private equity practice and also has particular expertise in the entertainment sector; seasoned M&A lawyer and regulatory specialist Roberto Grané co-heads the team, which clients praise for its ‘communication, responsibility and professionalism’. The ‘attentive’ Francisco Fernández Rostello, who is specialised in banking and finance, is an additional key contact and Ezequiel Artola, a mining and infrastructure specialist, is also well-reviewed.
Gustavo Boruchowicz; Roberto Grané
‘The communication, responsibility and professionalism of both Ezequiel Artola and Roberto Grané demonstrate the strengths and skills differentiate the firm. They are accessible people at all times. The way of working of is very professional and worthy of mention’
‘They are highly committed to the customer’s purposes and provide support quickly and ethically, according to the needs of the company.’
‘Francisco Fernandez Rostello is attentive, demonstrates knowledge of the law and always provides creative solutions to the problems presented.’
‘The team is very flexible and seeks to meet our expectations without major difficulties. They seek to meet demands with a strong customer focus.’
Eco-Stim Energy Solutions
Archer Daniel Midland
Alba Capital Partners
Merck & Co
Advent International Corporation
Zenvia Mobile Serviços Digitais
The Kraft Heinz Company
- Advised Amcor on the divesture of its Argentine rigid plastic, thermoforming and polipaper division; as well as on an associated reorganisation since the rigid and flexible divisions operated within one legal entity.
- Advised Visma on the regional acquisition of HR software development company, Zetech, including addressing and allocating various existing contingencies and potential risks (such as IP), structuring the deal and participating in negotiations.
- Advised Walter Mazzoni on the sale of its quotas in a local software company and the negotiation of a claim initiated against the other quota holders (due to mismanagement of the company), and on profit distribution.
‘Proactive service’ and ‘committing to the final results of the client’ make the Bomchil team stand out from the crowd. The practice prides itself on building close relationships with its clients and focuses on delivering a full-service corporate advisory offer. The firm works across all sectors, but has seen particularly high levels of activity in hospitality, where it advised hotelier Integración Turística Hotelera in licensing negotiations; and entertainment, acting for Buenos Aires Arena on a series of lease, loan and contract renegotiations through the pandemic period. Litigation veteran and managing partner Javier Petrantonio co-leads the practice alongside consumer and TMT expert Marcelo Bombau. Adrián Furman, who has led on a number of the practice’s matters over the last year, ‘delivers excellence, creativity, ingenuity and adaptability’. Senior associate Francisco Zappa is noted for his ‘legal knowledge, interpersonal skills and lateral thinking’.
Marcelo E. Bombau (M&A); Javier Petrantonio (M&A)
‘The firm and lawyers provide accurate, up-to-date and reliable information. They adapt to the needs of the company and they are very diligent when requesting information in a short time.’
‘The relationship with lawyers is close. We consider them part of our team. Always open to new approaches and trying to add value.’
‘What makes this team unique is its availability and accessibility, combined with excellence in the work provided. They are very dynamic people who are responsive and perfectly understand our business and needs. They really get into the business of the company.‘
‘Adrián Furman delivers excellence, creativity, ingenuity and adaptability to different challenges. He is a comprehensive, complete, and high-quality attorney.‘
‘Francisco Zappa works on complex transactions, which require legal knowledge, interpersonal skills and lateral thinking. In all these aspects he has stood out notably.’
‘Bomchil’s team is approachable and fully understands our business needs. They are committed not only to the service but also to the result, looking for solutions that best adapt to the challenges of our company. One of the strongest points is that they have formed a wide and diverse work team that allows us not only to receive the service of the partner, Adrián Furman, but also of Paula Beveraggi and Francisco Zappa, as team leaders.‘
‘Adrián Furman is always one step ahead in finding creative legal solutions to the challenges that are presented to us. Paula Beveraggi understands all our corporate matters and helps us with added value in matters that include our accounting advisors and auditors. Francisco Zappa, as a specialist in corporate matters, not only advises us with excellence, but also gives us a 360 vision, which allows us to anticipate events and be properly prepared.‘
‘A team with solid knowledge that gives quick and accurate feedback tailored to the requirements of a company.‘
‘Bomchil exhibits a proactive service, committing itself to the final results and objectives of the client. Its lawyers are receptive to our service expectations and their response times are aligned with the demand that our activity requires of us. We have found that they are more effective and efficient than other service options we had in the past.‘
‘In addition to the remarkable professionalism that all members of the firm possess, the level of commitment to the client and the specific knowledge of the local market stand out.‘
‘The thorough knowledge of the market and of the local reality, with its peculiarities and special characteristics, as well as the constant commitment and disposition towards its clients, make Bomchil a unique firm.‘
AMC Networks Latin America
Grupo La Nación
Stine Seed / M S Technologies
Integración Turística Hotelera
- Advised ABB Alsea Brown Boveri on the Argentine aspects of its $7.8bn divestment of 80.1% of Power Grids business to Hitachi.
- Advised Integración Turística Hotelera in a matter that terminated its management agreement with Marriott International and transitioned into a new franchise agreement for the operation of the hotel under the Sheraton brand.
- Acted as Argentina counsel to glass bottle manufacturer Owens Illinois, on the sale of its participation in Owens Illinois Argentina to Hugo Eduardo Ballester, Laila Jimena Ballester and Hugo Javier Ballester.
Brons & Salas
The ‘excellent team’ at Brons & Salas demonstrates ‘remarkable knowledge’ of corporate law and ‘good business’ vision. Environmental law expert Guillermo Malm Green, who 'brings the ability to translate very complex problems into clear and simple issues', and real estate-focused Mariano del Olmo lead the team. Operating across a wide range of sectors, the practice handles a range of transactional and ongoing day-to-day advice. Consumer and retail have been prominent areas in recent matters, including advising long-term client Grupo Peñaflor on the acquisition of Patritti, one of the leading companies engaged in the wine industry; and providing support for an attempted bid for Walmart’s Argentine portfolio by a consortium of local investors. At associate level, clients highlight Laura Conde and Florencia Crivelli for their ‘full knowledge of Argentine corporate law’ and regard Candela Leinado and Alejandro Vidal (who made partner nback in January 2020), as ‘truly outstanding’. However, senior associate Francisco Tassi moved in house at Nacre Capital in June 2021.
Guillermo Malm Green; Mariano del Olmo
‘The team of lawyers is brilliant. The lawyers demonstrate a remarkable knowledge of structuring acquisitions in Argentina.‘
‘Mariano del Olmo, Laura Conde and Florencia Crivelli demonstrated full knowledge of Argentine corporate law, giving us security.’
‘An excellent team, with the ability to identify critical information with good business vision. Complete, practical and efficient work approach. Clarity of answers and good experience.‘
‘Guillermo Malm Green brings the ability to translate very complex problems into clear and simple issues. Francisco Tassi demonstrates superlative analytical skills, a brilliant business vision and a level of commitment to the client.‘
‘The attorneys at Brons & Salas deliver a high level of excellence, commitment and quality in the responses to our concerns. They have an excellent predisposition to resolve legal issues with a view to the business, knowing it as if they worked within the company.‘
‘Mariano Del Olmo, Candela Leinado, Alejandro Vidal are truly outstanding.‘
Godrej Consumer Products
Gigawatt Global Coöperatief
Stanley Black & Decker
The Clorox Company
Shandong Gold Mining (Hong Kong)
Associated British Foods
Ecolab Services Argentina
Fertilizantes e Insumos Microbiologicos
- Advising Grupo Peñaflor on the acquisition of Patritti, one of the leading companies engaged in the wine industry in the province of Neuquén.
- Advised an investors consortium comrising Fabián Papini, Rafael Barabino, Gustavo Papini and Bruno Demaria in an attempted bid for Wal-Mart Argentina from its US parent.
- Advising agricultural-chemicals business, Simbiose, on a deal to acquire Bayer Group’s real estate and other assets in Argentina and Brazil.
Martínez de Hoz & Rueda‘s corporate and M&A practice leverages the firm’s outstanding all-round oil-and-gas and energy expertise to play a dominant role in the majority of notable energy transactions. Among the many energy deals under its belt the team has advised Schlumberger on the sale of its 49% interest in the Bandurria Sur Block in Neuquén (where the firm is one of the few to maintain an office) to Shell Argentina and Equinor; and green Power renewables on the acquisition of a 100% interest in in nine companies developing wind power farms in the provinces of Buenos Aires, La Pampa and Córdoba (and act as independent power producers), from Elawan Energy Developments.. The team’s deep energy-expertise allows it to deliver work that is ‘extremely innovative’ and ‘always on the cutting edge’. The ‘excellent’ Fernando Zoppi co-heads the firm alongside José Martínez de Hoz, one of the country’s foremost oil and gas lawyers whose practice reaches into a broader array of sophisticated corporate engagements. Of late, the team has -with some success- sought to broaden its practice into additional sectors, recently completing work in the textiles, agriculture and technology sectors to complement its core energy-deal activity. Since publication, senior associate Tomás Dellepiane, a corporate and transactional specialist, has been raised to the partnership.
Fernando Zoppi; José Martínez de Hoz
‘Professionalism and dedication, as well as a great understanding of the underlying issues, characterise the team Fernando Zoppi provides excellent, personalised attention.’
‘They are extremely innovative and always on the cutting edge.’
‘Highly professional team dedicated to solving problems.’
‘Lawyers with a lot of follow-up on the issues and very professional’
‘The practice is distinguished by technically sound advice and a practical vision to address the various complexities of transactions. The team is very experienced and available 24/7. They are a fundamental support for the internal legal team.’
‘The MHR team delivers international quality of work, and is always ready to go the extra mile. Fernando Zoppi has a lot of experience in local and international transactions and is extremely pro-active and always aligned with business objectives.’
‘Great attention to detail and high-quality legal service that stands out from competitors. Tomas Dellepiane has a lot of experience and has demonstrated great ability to resolve the difficulties in a country with a high bureaucratic burden.’
‘MHR has several technological tools that have allowed them to continue providing an excellent service even from a distance through the pandemic.’
‘An essential in advice in M&A in the oil industry, with an experienced team that deals directly with regulators. The M&A team is made up of lawyers of different seniority and background, which enriches the advice they provide. In our experience, the billing system is extremely flexible in a way that adapts to our needs and transactions; and this translates into highly efficient advice.’
‘Martinez de Hoz & Rueda is an excellent firm with a particular strength in the energy sector.’
‘Fernando Zoppi is an excellent lawyer and a pleasure to work with. Always happy to have him on deals.’
Pan American Energy
Pan American Energy
- Represented Schlumberger in the sale of its 49% interest in the Bandurria Sur Block in Neuquén, Argentina to Shell Argentina and Equinor.
- Represented Grupo Siete Leguas in the sale of its stake in Santista Textil to GBPK Holdings.
- Acted as local counsel to the Montorsi family on the sale of a majority stake in specialist, precision-farming manufacturer ARAG Group to Swiss private equity fund, Capvis.
The corporate and M&A team at O'Farrell benefits from the firm’s strong relationship with energy giant YPF and an excellent track record in the power sector, both of which deliver a steady pipeline of deal activity and day-to-day corporate work. The firm also has a presence in infrastructure, advising rail infrastructure and technology group, Vossloh Cogifer, on the sale of its Argentine subsidiary to Innocon. Additionally, long-standing relationships with Monsanto and Ford sustain steady corporate work flows in agribusiness and automotive sectors. A triumvirate of senior partners comprising Uriel O’Farrell (long a pre-eminent figure in the energy sector), transactional specialist Juan Pablo Fratantoni and M&A and foreign investment expert Ernesto Genco head up the practice, with Nicolás Benvenuto recognised as an up-and-coming senior associate to watch.
Uriel O’Farrell; Juan Pablo Fratantoni; Ernesto Jose Genco
‘In-depth knowledge of regulatory aspects in the electricity business and high sector specialisation.’
‘Very knowledgeable about international business regulations as it relates to doing business in Argentina Not speaking much Spanish it was very helpful to have an attorney that was fluent in English.‘
YPF Energía Eléctrica
Comunicaciones y Consumos
Grupo Concesionario del Oeste (Abertis)
Gulftech’s companies: Brown International Corporation, Atlas Pacific, Luthi, Sinclair.
Resinas Concordia (Georgia Pacific)
Altenis (ATP Buenos Aires)
Energía San Juan
Empresa de Transportes Don Pedro
Latinoamericana de Energía
- Advised Vossloh Cogifer Group, a global leader in the rail infrastructure and rail technology markets, on the sale of its Argentine subsidiary Vossloh Cogifer Argentina to Innocon.
- Advised Petroperu in connection with the process for the selection and execution of certain agreements for the outsourcing the operation and maintenance of a number of Auxiliar Units of the new Talara refinery.
- Engaged by Drilling Innovative Solutions to assist with the drafting and negotiation of agreements to lease equipment to oil and gas service provider Austral Solutions.
Salaverri, Burgio & Wetzler Malbran
Salaverri, Burgio & Wetzler Malbran offers a full suite of M&A and corporate advice, with a strong practice in the energy sector. Led by founding partner Diego Salaverri, the practice counts Pampa Energía, the largest fully integrated electricity company in Argentina, as a lead client and advised the group on the sale of its controlling interest in Empresa Distribuidora y Comercializadora Norte. The firm also advised insurance services group Orígenes on the acquisition of Genes II Seguros de Retiro. Other key contacts are Tomás Arnaude, a regular adviser to private equity strategic buyers, and Elena Sozzani, who specialises in mergers and acquisitions, antitrust and corporate law. Pablo Fernández Pujadas, who has a strong transactional background, was raised to the partnership in February 2021.
Sophia Capital Partners
Transportadora de Gas del Sur
Turner Internacional Argentina
- Acted as counsel to Pampa in the sale of its controlling interest in Empresa Distribuidora y Comercializadora Norte.
- Acted as counsel to Orígenes in the acquisition of Genes II Seguros de Retiro.
- Represent Inversora Juramento and its affiliates in their day-to-day corporate matters.
Zang, Bergel & Viñes Abogados has broadened its practice beyond its core real-estate base and become an active player in food, mining and entertainment deals (among other sectors), also evidencing an uptick in general corporate work. Recent highlights in what has been a busy period for the practice included advising Cresud on the sale of meatpacking group Carnes Pampeanas, working with Austral Gold on the purchase of Sierra Blanca and supporting DF Entertainment with post-deal advice following investment from Live Nation. The team is led by experienced transactional lawyer Pablo Vergara del Carril and versatile corporate practitioner Maria Laura Barbosa.
Pablo Vergara del Carril; Maria Laura Barbosa
Fenix Entertainment Group
Consultores Asset Management
- Acted for Cresud on the sale of 100% of the shares of Carnes Pampeanas , the largest meatpacking plant in Argentina.
- Advised Austral Gold Argentina in the acquisition of 80% of Sierra Blanca, owner of a mining project in Santa Cruz.
- Advised in post closing matters relating to the sale of 51% of DF Entertainment to Live Nation, including setting up a newco in Paraguay.
Dentons Rattagan Macchiavello Arocena
The former RMA is now Dentons Rattagan Macchiavello Arocena following the firm’s May-2020 merger into the global player, which has built its presence in Latin America and the Caribbean to some 24 offices since 2016. The Argentine office’s corporate practice provides a ‘professional, responsive and knowledgeable’ service that clients can ‘depend on 100%’. The team is led by a sizeable group, comprising veteran M&A lawyer (and managing partner) Michael Rattagan; cross-border M&A specialist Ricardo Balestra; the ‘incredibly helpful and responsive’ Analía D’Oria; data and technology expert Santiago Oliva Pinto and the ‘very reliable’ Roberto Bauza. The department’s case load currently includes healthcare, real estate, mining and financial services work, with the team especially strong in the technology space, recently advising online marketplace Mercado Libre on the acquisition of software start-up Lagash. Since publication, senior associates María Cecilia Tuccillo and María Paula Morelli (corporate and regulatory/adminstrative law, respectfully), have been raised to counsel, with effect from November 2021.
Michael R. Rattagan; Ricardo Balestra; Analía M. D’Oria; Santiago Oliva Pinto; Roberto P. Bauzá
‘This practice is very professional, responsive, and knowledgeable. We know that we can depend on them 100% for great service.’
‘Analia D’Oria is incredibly helpful and responsive. When we reach out to her for a question or guidance, she responds usually within 24 hours. Her counsel is always helpful and value added.’
‘Very strong and profound knowledge in the relevant fields of law.’
‘We worked with Roberto Bauzá. Very reliable, knowledgeable and commitment to bring things forward.’
‘The team knows its clients and their dynamics well.’
‘They know our business well and they make the right suggestions. They are very expeditious.’
Fresenius Medical Care Argentina
- Advised Mercado Libre on the acquisition of the software development start-up Lagash in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, México, and Uruguay.
- Advised Cerrado Gold on the acquisition of Minera Don Nicolas and its operational gold mine located in the Province of Santa Cruz, Argentina.
- Advised a Brazilian family on the $64m purchase of the shares of argentine footwear and textile opertation, Alpargatas.
Estudio Garrido Abogados
Estudio Garrido Abogados is a ‘pro-business team’ with a ‘varied and rich background and commitment to quality’. Gustavo Garrido spearheads this tightly-knit unit, with close support from Diego Garrido, Raúl Granillo Ocampo and Lucas Granillo Ocampo. The practice has carved out a lucrative niche advising private equity and venture capital clients and has been involved in multiple fundraising rounds and transactional work, with technology companies and start-ups prominent in its work highlights.
Gustavo Garrido; Raúl Granillo Ocampo; Lucas Granillo Ocampo; Diego Garrido
‘What makes the firm unique is a varied and rich background and commitment to quality. A pro-business team.’
‘The excellence of its senior lawyers and the diversity of background and mix of experience in Argentina and in various other countries stands out.’
‘They are highly innovative and up-to-date in terms of practice and collaboration.’
- Represented Alef Medical Argentina, the first company to register a pharmaceutical product in Argentina based on cannabis for the treatment of epilepsy, in a series of financing rounds.
- Represented Prisma Medios de Pago in its joint venture transaction with Grupo Clarin for the creation of the digital wallet.
- Represented technology group Inipop in a round of financing lead by Facundo Garretón.
Hope, Duggan & Silva
Respected veteran M&A lawyer Juan Duggan and the ‘attentive’ Rufino Arce head the Hope, Duggan & Silva team, which offers ‘agile response’ and ‘solutions for various requirements’. The practice has built up an impressive list of international clients and works closely with its banking and finance team - most recently on a number of capital contributions by overseas companies into Argentine subsidiaries. The practice prides itself on its full service offering, with its lawyers serving as directors and trustees of many companies. Other key contacts at the firm include Alejandra Bouzigues and Nicolás Ricciardi, who are well regarded by clients, as well as Gotardo Pedemonte, who is strong in capital markets work, and the practice’s youngest partner Hugo Vivot, who also heads up the firm's administrative regulatory practice.
Juan Duggan; Rufino Arce
‘Trained and efficient staff. Agile response and offer solutions for various requirements.‘
‘The firm’s attorneys stand out for their friendliness and efficiency. Rufino Arce is always available and attentive to any query or need that we may have. Alejandra Bouzigues accompanies us on various matters too.‘
‘We have been working with the team for many years and they understand and have adapted very well to what we need.‘
‘Nicolas Ricciardi is a senior lawyer who facilitates negotiation with counterparties without entering into conflicts with them. On the other hand, he generates alternative plans in case negotiations stall.‘
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
Pyxus International/Alliance One International
Minera Santa Cruz (a Hochschild Mining Company)
Buongiorno (an NTT Docomo Company)
International Container Terminal Services
- Advised Koch Industries, through Guardian Brazil Investments and Guardian Brasil Vidros Planos, as it contributed $1.1bn to its indirect subsidiary Guardian de Argentina for purposes of increasing its corporate capital.
- Acting as local counsel to BBVA as regards compliance with any and all Argentine corporate regulations regarding BBVA and its non-Argentine affiliates.
- Advised Omnicom Group and TBWA Worldwide on a contribution of $412,000 to subsidiary TBWA Latin America for the purpose of increasing its corporate capital.
The ‘dynamic’ Naveira Truffat Martínez Abogados (NTMA)'s team has a strong domestic client-base and also advises on cross-border transactions. Clients praise the practice for its ‘high professionalism’ and ‘deep knowledge’. The firm has experience across multiple sectors, including fintech, food and drink, and oil and gas. Experienced M&A lawyer Óscar Martínez is ‘technically solid’ and ‘proactive’ and leads the practice. Other key names include Rafael Mallo, who has a strong grounding in commercial law and restructuring experience, and versatile corporate lawyer Juan Sabia. The team was further strengthened its team with the July-2021 hire of Agustin Ferrari, previously an international associate at Mayer Brown, as partner.
‘NTMA’s corporate law team is excellent. They have a dynamic team led by Oscar Martinez. Technically solid and responsive.’
‘Oscar Martinez is a proactive lawyer with extensive experience and a great commercial knowledge of all sectors.’
‘The flexibility and scope of service has allowed us to put in place the necessary solutions for our business. Great professionals.’
‘A high level of professionalism and deep knowledge. Quick to respond. A team that inspires confidence. ‘
‘From the first day NTMA proposed us an agile and professional work scheme.’
‘NTMA works in a collaborative spirit between its partners, associates and the client himself.’
‘The dynamics of the NTMA team of lawyers allows us to have a comprehensive vision of the legal aspects of our business. Led by a senior lawyer continuously supported by one of the partners and who interacts and coordinates specialised lawyers from different areas (labor, corporate, taxes, etc.). They ensure with a double / triple control the review of the issues that arise from day to day.‘
‘The inclusion of new professionals such as Valentin Martinez with a comprehensive business vision given by their training and professional experience, together with the dynamism with which he coordinates the rest of the firm’s team of lawyers, has given us a significant improvement to the level of service that stands out greatly with the experience we have had with other firms.‘
‘The flexibility in the scope of the services and the adaptation of the billing methods has allowed us to adapt the structure of resources and respond to the necessary solutions for our business.‘
‘They differ from the other firms that we have used before by the speed of attention, the warmth and the immeasurable security that they transmit to us. To date, we have not lost any of the cases that we have delegated to them. We deal most of the time with: Oscar Martinez, Daniel Truffat and Valentin Martinez – they are really outstanding.‘
‘Absolute professional and human trust, coincidence of criteria before the different decisions, great experience in handling conflicts or controversies. They certainly stand out from the different professionals we have dealt with. The lawyers who attend us are: Oscar Pedro Ferrari and Rafael Mallo. With them we feel protected and advised in the best way.‘
‘Valentín Martínez: his main qualities are 24-hour customer service, his ability to lead and coordinate the entire team formed to serve us, and his high technical capacity. Dr. Agustín Ferrari stands out for his great professionalism and high expertise in corporate law.‘
Fiduciaria Villa Maria
Dial Database Marketing
ID Supply Chain
Alejandro Miguel Baldoncini
- Advised Exmed Inversiones and Exmed on the acquisition of a stake in Medanito.
- Advised ATG Foods, Euro and Hawker International in a complex operation for the sale of assets in the pork-casing market in Argentina and Paraguay to global group Van Hessen Natural Casings.
- Assisted System Web with the sale of software derived from a fintech application to Interfinanzas and Open Pass.
The highly-regarded María Fraguas, Naldo Dasso and Nicolás Perkins co-lead a Nicholson y Cano Abogados‘ team that boasts an impressive roster of multinational clients and solid M&A credentials. Energy and agribusiness deals are particular strong points, with the team advising private equity investor Riverstone on its exit from midstream energy project Aleph and assisting sugar producer Ledesma with the sale of a 30% stake in corn-milling group Glucovil to Cargill. The firm has also built out its consumer capability and is advising e-commerce platform Despegar.com on technical aspects of its merger and integration with Viajes Falabella. Since publication, the team has been further strengthened with the promotion of Martín Rodríguez to the partnership; he focuses on advisory work for corporates operating in the regulated sectors - effective as of May 2022.
Maria Fraguas; Naldo Dasso; Nicolas Perkins
Qatar Petroleum International
Universal Assistance (affiliate of Zurich Group)
- Acted as legal advisor to Ledesma on the sale of all it shares in Glucovil Argentina (representing 30% of the latter’s capital stock), to Cargill South American Holdings.
- Advised Riverstone on its successful exit from its investment in Aleph Midstream, the first dedicated midstream project in Vaca Muerta, Neuquén, Argentina.
- Advised La Payana on the spin-off of its pig farming business.
Boutique M&A and tax practice Salaberren & Lopez Sanson (SyLS) is applauded for the ‘direct involvement’ of senior partners who bring depth and ‘expertise’ to client matters. Founding partner Rafael Salaberren, who displays ‘extensive knowledge of legal issues’ and ‘good management of time, clients and team organisations’, leads the practice with support from partner Juan Campos Alvarez, known for his venture capital track record, and up-and-coming associate Diego D´Odorico. The firm is especially prominent in the consumer and technology spaces, advising long-term client Coca-Cola on the development of an online marketplace and assisting Mexico’s Kavak with the acquisition of Argentine online car marketplace, Checkars.
Rafael Salaberren Dupont
‘The direct involvement of the main partners of the firm in the issues, in addition to their expertise, especially highlights them.’
‘In the M&A and corporate area, Rafael Salaberren is a reference point. Beyond his extensive knowledge of legal issues, he has a very good management of time, clients and team organisations which greatly facilitates the work.’
Delivery Hero / Pedidos
The Yield Lab
- Represented Coca Cola in the development of the online marketplace WABI project in Latam, Europe, Africa and Asia.
- Represented Kavak (México) in the acquisition of Argentine online automobile marketplace company Checkars.
- Represented Excon Constructora (Chile) in its mining construction project in Jujuy, Argentina., including corporate and contractual structuring, financing and the tax planning of the project.
Tanoira Cassagne Abogados focuses on advising local and multinational companies on complex transactional matters and day-to-day commercial issues. Particularly active in local transactions in the finance sector, of late, the team is noted for 'understanding the client's business and developing tailor-made solutions' as required. The firm’s client roster spans a wide range of sectors and the team has been especially active advising multinationals on the Argentine aspects of global mergers and spin-offs. The 'exceptional' Alejandro Ciero, 'excellent professional' Rafael Algorta and 'proactive' Santiago Javier Monti co-lead the practice with support from company law specialist Leopoldo García-Mansilla.
Alejandro Ciero; Rafael J. Algorta; Santiago Monti
‘Rafael Algorta is excellent professional. He is decisive and inspires confidence
‘Rafael Algorta is a pleasure to work with him. he is very well organised and has excellent legal knowledge.’
‘The team gives personalised dedication that is difficult to find in other law firms. The practice has knowledge, experience and professionalism.’
‘Santiago Monti is a highly experienced professional who is proactive, flexible and focused on solutions.’
‘They care about understanding the client’s business and developing tailor-made solutions.’
‘Alejandro Ciero is exceptional. He is always available and always ready to listen. A great generator of creative solutions and a very capable negotiators.’
‘Their way of working generates trust. They have a very professional team and an excellent work and relationship culture.’
‘We greatly appreciate the constant good will and promptness in responses. Always available to collaborate and with great knowledge and networks.’
Central Termica Uruguayana
Fabrica Austral De Productos Electricos
British American Tobacco
Innovative Water Care
Banco de Galicia
- Advised Bayer and Monsanto on commercial matters relating to clients and suppliers as well as on actions required by antitrust regulators in the wake of their merger.
- Advised on the sale of all shares in software group Lagash to ecommerce platform Mercado Libre.
- Advised on the local aspects of the spin-off of the Philips Personal Care business division by its parent company.
The Tavarone, Rovelli, Salim & Miani team provides clients with ‘personalised attention’ and ‘impeccable’ work. The practice is boutique in feel but covers the complete range of corporate work from M&A, joint ventures and corporate restructurings to day-to-day corporate matters. The firm’s strong banking and finance team has opened the door to mandates on a number of financial services deals, with retail and energy work also key focus areas. The practice is led by Juan Pablo Bove (he ‘stands out’ according to clients), and Federico Otero, who ‘makes a difference in M&A’. With considerable in-house experience, fellow partner Pablo Tarantino also receives positive client feedback and has particular strength in financial services. Key associate support comes from senior associate Ángeles Femenía, particularly as regards energy and renewables deals.
Juan Pablo Bove; Federico Otero
‘The team is complete, ready to meet different needs. Always professional, trying as much flexibility as possible within the possibilities.’
‘The shows empathy, listens o achieve excellence.’
‘It is a diverse team and it stimulates the feeling of having a team fully integrated into the organisation.’
‘This is a law firm very focused on M&A. They have a strong team of partners and due to their size we can assess the partners directly and faster than in other firms.’
‘Federico Otero makes the difference in M&A involving Brazil, Argentina and other jurisdictions.’
‘They are excellent technically and in compliance with deadlines.’
‘They have a good balance in diversity, great collaboration and listening.’
‘They know the particularities of our business and know how to interpret our needs. Juan Pablo Bove stands out’.
‘The team shows innovation from the legal point of view when structuring complex businesses.’
‘Great reputation and expertise in different sectors of law. Availbility and fairness are the great values of this team.’
‘I really appreciated Juan Pablo Bove for its expertise, availability and capability of proposing efficient solutions to solve complex questions within very restricted timeframes.’
‘Tavarone stands out for having a team very committed to the client’s work, with a very personalised attention and a very good interaction between partners and associates to achieve the client’s objectives.’
‘Juan Pablo Bove is a very capable lawyer, who is very committed to the client and, above all, a very good negotiator and professional. A multifaceted lawyer, intelligent and with the empathy and fair ethics between the parties to reach the better resolution for the client.’
‘Their work was impeccable. They always went above and beyond what we asked of them. They were our co-counsel in a multi-jurisdiction al M&A transaction that involved Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Colombia. Their work was way better than that of counsel in other jurisdictions and ,of Argentine counsel, to the prospective buyers.’
‘Federico Otero and Angeles Femenia were so much better than their counterparts in Argentina and of our other co-counsel in Chile and Colombia. Their work was really top notch.’
‘Pablo Tarantino is what makes this practice unique. The in-house lawyers feel very well complemented by the team and with their excellent disposition, knowledge and speed of response.’
‘They know a lot. They know our business, they respond with speed. They are always available.’
‘They are always ahead of the facts. Permanently informed on regulatory, developments. They handle these situations much better than most.’
‘Strong, integrated team with substantial transactional experience. Partners are hands-on and work closely with clients.’
Grupo Pérez Companc
Caja de Ahorro y Seguro
Calcaterra family office
- Counsel to Grupo Roch on the sale of its 30% of participation in a local joint venture with Norwegian petroleum company Interoil.
- Counsel to Group Tozzi Green on the acquisition of two companies from Abo Wind -each with a solar PPA under the MINIREN Program- in connection with generation facilities to be built in Catamarca.
- Legal counsel to Grupo Albanesi in two intra-group corporate reorganisations, including public companies Generación Mediterránea and Albanesi.
A&F | Allende • Ferrante | Abogados
A&F | Allende • Ferrante | Abogados, which is 'always accessible and quick to respond', offers a full range of corporate and M&A services for domestic and international clients across a range of sectors, including e-commerce, automotive and infrastructure. Founding partner Lisandro Allende, who is also active in dispute resolution, leads the practice alongside experienced corporate lawyer Mariana Miglino, with both lawyers praised for their 'human qualities'. Associate Macarena Cuesta re-joined the firm in December 2020 upon completion of her LLM in banking, corporate and finance law.
Lisandro Allende; Mariana Miglino
‘Always accessible, quick to respond, excellent disposition, very involved with their clients’ business.‘
‘The firm has a high commitment and outstanding knowledge about the causes and dealing with its clients.‘
‘We have no doubts that they represent us very well in the different topics that they participate in. They are very proactive.’
‘Lisandro Allende and Mariana Miglino display human qualities that are a differentiating factor.‘
The Marketing Store Worldwide
Telefonica de Contenidos
Wildcat Oil Tools
Pecanes del Sur
The Lycra Company
- Advised Glass Beads on Argentine corporate matters within the context of the company group’s global reorganisation due to change in controlling shareholder.
- Advised Lion Ventures on legal and contractual aspects for the start-up of electric vehicles company NUUV in Argentina.
- Advised Urus Group on its establishment in Argentina, including legal advice on the establishment of a local subsidiary and registration of the foreign entities to act as shareholders in the new company.
New York-based managing partner Carlos Alfaro leads the uniquely positioned Alfaro-Abogados, which focuses on advising strategic investors and investment funds doing business in Argentina. The team’s client base extends across Europe, Asia, North America, the Middle East and Australia, with mining, oil-and-gas, energy and infrastructure among its key sector areas. Recent matters include advising Integra Capital and a consortium of Argentine and foreign investors on the purchase of a controlling stake in major Argentine electricity distributor, Edenor; and working with Rolfson Oil on the establishment of an Argentine branch.
Carlos E. Alfaro
Integra Capital – Edenor
IOG Resources and Interoil Argentina
Linde Gas Lithium and Ganfeng
Latin Resources and Integra Capital
- Advised Integra Capital and a consortium of Argentine and foreign investors on the purchase of a controlling stake in Edenor, the main electricity distributor in Argentina.
- Assisted IOG Resources and Interoil Argentina with the acquisition of a 30% stake in a joint venture agreement from Roch.
- In charge of the legal aspects of the establishment and operational initiation of an Argentine branch of one of the companies of the Rolfson Group.
Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro
Barreiro, Oliva, De Luca, Jaca, Nicastro advises corporate and venture capital clients on all aspects of corporate law and M&A. An experienced transactional practitioner, co-founding partner Nicolás Jaca-Otaño leads the practice with key support from fellow founder Gonzalo Oliva Beltrán, who also fronts the firm’s corporate and technology law teams. During the last year the firm has worked in cross-border M&A deals in agribusiness and sports apparel, as well as advising clients on mission-critical contract renegotiations and franchise agreements.
‘Responsive and always available.’
‘The firm’s strength is the seamless integration of a wide range of services.’
Beretta Godoy has experience in global transactions and managing cross-border deals in multiple jurisdictions. Canadian groups and state-owned Chinese companies are prominent in its client list, with the practice showing particular expertise in natural resources. Yamana Gold is a key client, providing a steady pipeline of ongoing work. Partner María Angélica Grisolía, who has broad corporate and transactional experience, leads the team.
Maria Angélica Grisolía
Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt
China Gezhouba Group Corporation
China Water Resources Beifang Investigation, Design & Research
China Energy Engineering Tianjin Group
Toyota Boshoku America
AAJ Computers Services
Heil Trailer International
- Provide advice as the leading counsel of the multibillion-dollar integration between Minera Agua Rica and Minera Alumbrera that comprises the merger between Yamana, Glencore and Goldcorp.
- Assisted Estelar Resources on the negotiation of an incorporated joint venture with the state-owned mining company of the Province of Santa Cruz.
- Assisted Ganfeng with the capital contribution of Minera Exar by reviewing, drafting and commenting on the legal documents required.
Led by the versatile Agustín Cerolini, who works across commercial, financial, banking and capital markets law, the Cerolini & Ferrari Abogados practice is built on the provision of general corporate services to companies operating in multiple sectors. The team has a notable client base of foreign companies with Argentine subsidiaries, which the firm advises on a range of day-to-day corporate matters.
Pepsico de Argentina
First Plus Soft
- Advising QuanticMind, a predictive advertising software developer, on the daily corporate and contractual needs of its subsidiary in Argentina.
- Assisting Eficasia Argentina on daily contractual and corporate needs, including, drafting and negotiation of agreements and issuance of memorandums and legal opinions.
- Advising Pepsico on the revision and modification of agreements used by the company in its daily operations.
MBP Partners - Abogados
MBP Partners - Abogados is a ‘very engaged’ team that is ‘full of energy’. The versatile Victoria Bengochea, who is also strong in banking, finance and capital markets, heads a generalist practice with key support from Ignacio Meggiolaro. Clients describe both partners as ‘excellent’ lawyers, ‘pragmatic and to the point’. The team works across a range of sectors, with financial services and technology among its most active industry areas, as seen in its advice to Ank, the digital bank owned by Itau-Banco, ahead of its launch in Argentina.
‘Lawyers very engaged and neat in their tasks. They add value with out-of-the-box solutions and great business sense
‘It is a young law firm. Full of energy and time to dedicate to new clients. We feel that we are important and that helps the relationship. They have reach and have helped us build our local network. They are to the point and provide excellent advice.’
‘Vicky and Ignacio are the soul of the firm and excellent lawyers. Very pragmatic and to the point.’
‘It is a solid team professionally. They cover a range of legal matters.’
Ank (Itau-Unibanco Group)
BTG Pactual Group
- Advised Itaú-Unibanco’s digital bank, “Ank”, on an array of commercial and regulatory matters ahead of the the launch of its Argentine operation.
- Advised on the reorganisation of Dana-Spicer’s debts, capitalisation and negotiation between partners in order to liquidate the company.
- Advised on the restructuring of BTG Pactual’s local structure.
Estudio Ortiz & Asociados
Jorge Ortiz and Vanesa Mahia lead a Estudio Ortiz & Asociados team that provides clients with advice on M&A, corporate reorganisations and day-to-day corporate matters. Deal highlights include working with Grupo Sidus on a deal to buy up the Argentine subsidiaries of French-based group Laboratories Pierre Fabre and advising Molino Chacabuco on a corporate reorganisation.
Jorge D. Ortiz; Vanesa F. Mahia
American Express Argentina
AT&T Communications Services
Foster Wheeler E&C Argentina
Foster Wheeler E&C Argentina
Avalon Consulting Group
- Advised Grupo Sidus on the acquisition of the Argentine subsidiaries of French multinational pharmaceutical and cosmetics corporate, Laboratories Pierre Fabre.
- Assisted the controlling shareholder of soybean group Don Mario with the negotiation and drafting of a shareholders’ agreement; the transaction involved stock purchase agreements, stock options, a put-and-call agreement and credit facilities.
- Acted as counsel to Molino Chacabuco on the reorganisation of the group, including advice on the best structure for corporate, labour and tax purposes.
Richards, Cardinal, Tützer, Zabala & Zaefferer
The triumvirate of Jorge Tützer, Matias Zaefferer and Hernán Camarero lead a Richards, Cardinal, Tützer, Zabala & Zaefferer team that prides itself on the direct involvement of its partners in transactions across a wide range of industries - including manufacturing, construction, food production and software, among others. The team's strong client roster includes a number of multinational names and the firm recently advised Accenture on its acquisition of Argentine software group Wolox.
Jorge Tützer; Matias Zaefferer; Hernán Camarero
- Advised Accenture on the local due diligence and acquisition of Wolox, an Argentine cloud native and agile development company, with subsidiaries in different Latin American countries.
- Advised BAF Capital on the acquisition of FRIAR, a food market operator in Santa Fe, through the exchange of credit for shares.
Severgnini, Robiola, Grinberg & Tombeur
Severgnini, Robiola, Grinberg & Tombeur advises on deals across the consumer, retail, energy, food and manufacturing sector. Carlos Tombeur, who also handles banking and capital markets matters, leads the team, which recently produced a red flags due diligence report for buyout firm LCatterton ahead of its acquisition of The Not Company, a Chilean plant-based foods producer that has an Argentine subsidiary. Other key practitioners include Matias Grinberg, Francisco Lagger, and Javier Tarasido.
- Advised investment fund LCatterton on the due diligence process prior to make an $80m investment in the Chilean plant-based food producer start up The Not Company, which has an Argentine subsidiary.
- Represented Mercado Libre on the merger with its controlled company Lagash, an Argentine software services company.
- Advising CCL Industries on the merger of CCL Label and Checkpoint Systems.
Wiener Soto Caparrós
Wiener Soto Caparrós focuses on advising multinationals on cross-border deals and corporate matters involving Argentine subsidiaries and businesses. The practice is particularly strong in consumer products -with frozen-foods group McCain among its key clients- as well as in the infrastructure, natural resources and industrial/manufacturing sectors. The team is co-led by founder Laurence Weiner, a US attorney long-based in Argentina; former Coca-Cola Andina in-house attorney, Gonzalo Soto; and Mariela del Carmen Caparros, who has developed a strong practice focusing on work in heavily regulated industries.
Laurence Wiener; Mariela Caparrós; Gonzalo Soto
Ferro Corporation and Ferro Performance
McCain Foods and McCain Argentina
Regus Management de Argentina
Park Place Technologies
Helmerich & Payne Drilling
United Pipelines Argentina
- Advised Polyone Corporation as to the liquidation of its former local subsidiary, ColorMatrix Argentina, as well as on a due diligence for its acquisition of the colour masterbatch business of Clariant, which resulted in the formation of Avient.
- McCain’s legal partner in Latin America., WSC handles the frozen food group’s commercial matters and corporate transactions in Argentina and elsewhere in the region.
- Advised Ferro Corporation on the divestment of its local subsidiary, Ferro Argentina.
Estudio Ymaz Abogados
Expertise in infrastructure and public law serve as the foundation for an Estudio Ymaz Abogados team that demonstrates ‘trust, loyalty, confidentiality, transparency, honesty, experience and knowledge’. Seasoned corporate lawyer Pilar Ymaz Videla leads the practice and ‘stands out for her great knowledge, warmth, empathy, flexibility and efficiency’.
Pilar Ymaz Videla
‘A group of professionals who are extremely specialised in advising companies with a special interest in public law. Up to date and know how to work as a team.
‘Dedication to each case and dynamism to react to unforeseen events distinguishes the Ymaz team.’
‘The firm is close to the client and the partners build a professional relationship that generates mutual trust and successful outcomes.’
‘Very good team. His strength is the family mark. They complement each other and their coordination is very good. We feel comfortable with them.’
‘Quick and accurate responses. Friendly, close treatment.’
‘The Ymaz team shows trust, loyalty, confidentiality, transparency, honesty, experience and knowledge.’
‘Pilar Ymaz stands out for her great knowledge, warmth, empathy, flexibility and efficiency.’
‘The Ymaz firm is characterized by providing personalised advice to its clients, through its main partners. Over the years, they have incorporated young professionals with great capacity who have evolved within the firm and added value for clients.’
Correo Oficial de la República Argentina (Argentine Post Office)
Dycasa Sociedad Anónima