Michael Johnston > Carson McDowell > Belfast, Northern Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Carson McDowell Offices
- Go to...
Michael is a consultant at Carson McDowell, having previously been managing partner for eight years and head of the firm’s corporate finance team for twenty-four years. Michael has wide experience in advising clients throughout the United Kingdom, Ireland and often in the United States with regard to commercial activity within the province. He has also advised on projects (in particular PFI) for the past fifteen years.
Experience includes: advised Evermore on the setting up of the £80m combined heat and power Evermore Renewable Energy Plant in Derry/Londonderry, provision of general legal advice at a senior level to Belfast Harbour Commissioners team, advice to the shareholders on the sale of Foyleside Limited and associated shopping centres, advising Fivemiletown Co-op on the sale to Glanbia, advising PFC on the sale to Davy, advising Shareholders of Chain Reaction Cycles, advising Fane Valley on the sale to Lakeland Dairies, advising on the sale of Diamond Recruitment to Staffline.
Trained Carson McDowell; joined Carson McDowell 1983; qualified 1984; admitted as a solicitor in Northern Ireland 1984; partner 1993 – 2011; managing partner 2011 – 2019; consultant 2019 – to date.
Law Society of Northern Ireland.
Bangor Grammar School; Queens University of Belfast (LLB Hons); Institute of Professional Legal Education, Belfast.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Carson McDowell is a key name in the market for corporate deals involving the energy and agri-food industries, with a growing foothold in the private equity and venture capital arenas. The ‘truly exceptional’ Richard Gray leads the team and advises major domestic companies including SHS Group and Lagan Investments. Neasa Quigley is a key name for energy and private equity work and was made senior partner in 2019, while Gerard Armstrong stands out for his skills in the agri-food, waste and construction sectors. Former managing partner Michael Johnston is now a consultant.
- Corporate and M&A - Northern Ireland > Corporate and commercial
- Hall of Fame - Northern Ireland > Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Leading individuals - Northern Ireland > Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: defendant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning and environment