OMG > Santiago, Dominican Republic > Firm Profile
CALLE EUSEBIO MANZUETA 13X
LOS JARDINES METROPOLITANOS
OMG > The Legal 500 RankingsOMG advises a wide range of domestic and international clients on M&A, the structuring of foreign direct investments and the establishment of free trade zones, as well as commercial and regulatory matters including distribution and sales agreements and import and export issues. The firm also draws on a number of international affiliations, as part of the Legus network and the Eversheds Sutherland Latin America Alliance, to provide multi-jurisdictional services. The practice is led by firm president Leonel Melo, legal strategy co-ordinator Esperanza Cabral, who stands out for her expertise in M&A and restructurings, Johanna Soto, who advises on M&A, restructurings, foreign investments and estate planning, commercial department head Laura Piantini and senior director Gloria Gassó, who focuses on cross-border corporate transactions, including M&A and joint ventures. The practice was bolstered in August 2021 with the addition of senior consultant Melissa Valdez from Squire Patton Boggs.
Leonel Melo; Esperanza Cabral; Johanna Soto; Laura Piantini; Gloria Gassó
‘The team’s capability, experience and command of corporate and M&A matters is outstanding. When working with OMG you always have confidence that you’re in the best of hands. OMG’s team is made up of very skilled and talented individuals – they are forward-thinkers, business oriented and strategically focused.’
‘Laura Piantini is extremely competent, sharp and dependable. Her vast experience makes her a great asset.’
‘Melissa Valdez is a very knowledgeable, diligent and detail-oriented lawyer.’
‘Leonel Melo is a brilliant strategist and a superb adviser when dealing with complex matters.’
‘Esperanza Cabral is a top-notch attorney and a veteran in the field. I especially value her calm approach.’
San Pedro Bio-Energy
Bolsa de Valores de la República Dominicana
CAF Asset Management
Meliá Hotels International
International Finance Corporation (IFC)
- Advised Finerty Properties on the transfer of 70% of its shares of common stock within the paid-in capital of V Energy to Total Dominicana.
- Advised the IFC on the exercise of its put option right to a portion of existing IFC shares in Centro Financiero BHD León in favour of Grupo Financiero León.
- Advised Ascend Fund on the restructuring of Lagarde, a local distributor of meat and other foods.
Leonel Melo; Esperanza Cabral; Michelle Abreu
‘OMG is the firm offering the greatest variety of services.’
Streamline Integrated Energy
Putney Capital Management
Haina Investment Corp.
Mainstream Renewable Power Ltd
- Representing Streamline Integrated Energy in obtaining a power purchase agreement for one of the first waste to energy (WtE) plants in the Caribbean.
- Assisted Mainstream Renewable Power Ltd on its participation in the process being carried out by Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC for the potential acquisition of a 52.5MW wind farm and an ancillary 1.5MW photovoltaic solar plant in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisted Akuo Energy in a complex project financing package granted by a local energy-focused hedge fund, and the largest privately held commercial bank in the Dominican Republic, to the client, an international energy venture that is developing a solar energy project in the Dominican Republic.
Manuel Troncoso; Leonel Melo
BPR Bank, S.A.
The Bank of Nova Scotia
San Pedro Bio-Energy, S.R.L
Primma Valores, S.A. Puesto de Bolsa
Bolsa y Mercado de Valores de la Republica Dominicana, S.A.
Haina Investment Co., Ltd
- Assisted Fiduciaria Reservas, S.A, as its leading counsel, in the structuring and registration of a new public issuance of the Red Vial Trust before the Superintendence of Capital Markets.
- Acted as Dominican counsel of Haina Investment Co., Ltd. on a bank lending transaction for the purposes of a subsidiary to acquire 100% of the beneficiary rights in a trust incorporated under Colombian laws, holding assets from several entities and with secured creditors involved.
- Assisted Akuo Energy in a complex project financing package, granted by a local energy-focused hedge fund and one of the largest privately held commercial banks in the Dominican Republic to the client, an international energy venture that is developing a solar energy project in the Dominican Republic.
‘It is a very responsible team, which is prepared and has a lot of experience in the issues they handle.’
‘They always provide you with a 360-degree view of the issues, and they suggest very innovative alternatives that go beyond merely legal advice.’
Agua Planeta Azul
Warren & Warren Productions
The Bank of Nova Scotia
Consorcio Azucarero de Empresas Industriales (CAEI)
Sociedad Española de Montajes Industriales
- Acted for InterCaribbean Airways to achieve the revocation of the cancellation of routes in violation of the international agreement between the United Kingdom and the Dominican Republic concerning civil aviation.
- Successfully defended Agua Planeta Azul and its current majority shareholder Loganville in several ongoing lawsuits regarding several deviations from the representations and guarantees given by the former shareholders of the company in relation to its EBITDA for the year 2019 and its financial statements.
- Defending Infinity Vacations Dominicana in a dispute with the Dominican Internal Revenue Agency, which in 2021 initiated a collection process against the client despite having a tax exemption granted in its favour by the Tourism Development Council.
Meliá Hotel International
Andares del Mirador Trust
Park Adventure Group
Macao Beach Real Estate
Lafe Development Company
- OMG is acting as lead counsel regarding all strategic and legal related components in the development and execution of a mixed-use project
- OMG is working as project manager in the client’s new venture, the building and operation of the Korala theme park and hotel, an immersive sustainable resort situated along the RioMunoz, in Puerto Plata, on 40 acres of land.
- OMG is assisting and advising Talbot Limited in the design and execution of the legal strategy for the application of condominium laws regarding the designed master plan of the project.
Dominican Republic > Tax Tier 2OMG‘s tax department head Ana Taveras, who was made partner in December 2021, co-leads on all the firm’s tax work with either corporate partner Esperanza Cabral or firm president Leonel Melo, assisted by tax specialist associate Montserrat Viñals. The practice advises on either standalone matters or as part of cross-department work, such as the tax aspects of restructurings and transactions. The team is experienced in negotiating with the tax authority; recently it contended the authority’s opinions over the tax impact of transactions, such as a sale and purchase of shares and a real estate transaction involving CGT, and successfully acquired a waiver of withholding tax for a renewable energy client.
Ana Isabel Taveras
Cargill Caribe, S.R.L.
Compañía Anónima de Explotaciones Industriales, S.A.
Finerty Properties Corp.
Putney Capital Management
Primma Valores, Puesto De Bolsa SA
Meliá Hotels International
- Assisted Generavante with the presentation of a formal consultation before the Dominican Tax Authority to request the applicability of the provisions of the Double Tax Treaty signed between the Dominican Republic and Spain.
- Assisted Compañía Anónima de Explotaciones Industriales with managing a process before the Dominican Tax Authority seeking the negotiation of an opinion (ruling) related to the tax impact of a real estate transaction executed with a Dominican government entity.
- Assisted Finerty Properties Corp in executing an important agreement with regards to the sale and purchase transaction of 30% of the equity shares owned by the seller shareholder in an important group of fuel services stations and the distributor of a lubricant business group.
Luis Eduardo Aquino
‘They are specialists in media law.’
‘Deep knowledge in their fields.’
Aid for Life International
Ourofino Sáude Animal
Asistencia y Gestión Logística
Nexus Caribbean Technologies
- Led a negotiation process with Philips on behalf of client AG Mercantil regarding proposed new conditions for the distribution of Avent products in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisting AFL, a not-for-profit, in the incorporation of Aid for Life República Dominicana as the entity that will channel its efforts towards generating positive social impacts for vulnerable people in the Dominican Republic.
- Assisting Ourofino Saúde Animal in the strategy, design and implementation of contract termination with a local distributor while mitigating its effects.
Green Conversion Systems
Iniciativa Empresarial para la Educación Técnica
Barna Business School
Contact Centers Dominicana
Agua Planeta Azul
Consorcio Azucarero de Empresas Industriales (Ingenio Cristóbal Colón)
- Representing Green Conversion Systems in a claim brought by its former CEO, seeking compensation for alleged wrongful termination.
- Representing Funeraria Blandino in labour claims filed by former commission agents, seeking protection under labour legislation.
- Assisting Iniciativa Empresarial para la Educación Técnica with drafting the paperwork to implement Ordinance 03-2017 issued by the National Council of Education (which established mandatory workplace training modules for all students in the public high school system).
OMG > Firm Profile
A general practice firm and one of the largest in the Dominican Republic, OMG is known for its skill in handling the most sophisticated and demanding legal and business challenges. With a depth of experience across a range of industry sectors, the firm has been at the forefront of important deals and transactions in the country. The firm’s vast experience, combined with its commitment to innovation and a ground-breaking approach to analysis and research, results in solutions that meet the most specialized needs of its clients.
Areas of practice
Banking and finance: OMG has earned a strong reputation assisting clients in the financial sector. The firm’s approach to financing is grounded on providing value-added solutions to its clients’ needs in commercial lending, project financing, securities, investments and insurance.
Corporate: having comprehensive expertise in a broad range of industries and their legal needs, OMG assists clients in their strategic planning process and delivers legal solutions in the areas of M&A, business law, commercial law, legal entities and contracts. The firm’s practice focuses on identifying and reducing the risks and contingencies associated with the implementation of deals, always developing in each case the proper fiscal structure and an adequate corporate governance framework.
Government: OMG understands that doing business successfully is contingent upon sound interaction with public authorities. The firm has experience advising private enterprises, public institutions and regulatory bodies in all the specialized areas of legal practice, including financial regulation, telecommunications, social security, taxation, antitrust, energy, and constitutional and human rights law.
Intellectual property (IP): the firm handles all aspects of IP, including consultation, registration and maintenance of distinctive signs and inventions, copyright and related rights, entertainment law, defense of rights, dispute resolution, as well as negotiations and drafting of licensing, franchising and distribution agreements.
Litigation and dispute resolution: OMG provides legal representation to its clients in the management of their conflicts. The practice applies the tools of traditional litigation, arbitration, mediation or negotiation, depending on the circumstances of each case, the needs of its clients and the economics involved. The firm’s thriving practice covers all areas of law.
Real estate and tourism: OMG is renowned for providing legal assistance with the highest and most sophisticated standards in the real estate, construction, hospitality and tourism sectors. The firm provides strategic legal counseling on a range of transactions and assists clients in the design and implementation of corporate structures for the entire life cycle of their projects, acting for developers, hoteliers, portfolio managers, financial institutions, funds administrators and contractors.
Tax: OMG’s tax team is regarded as a talented and innovative group of experts on income tax and VAT; it is also recognized for a practical bottom-line approach that looks for the most efficient organizational structures and measures the efficacy of the solutions proposed against the tangible net savings resulting from such solutions to clients. The firm undertakes tax planning projects on a stand-alone basis or as an integral part of its engagement in other projects or practices through a dynamic cross-service structure.
|Banking and Finance||Manuel Troncosoemail@example.com||809.381.0505|
|Banking and Finance||Rebeca Garcíafirstname.lastname@example.org||809.381.0505|
|General Coordinator of Legal Strategy||Esperanza Cabralemail@example.com||809.381.0505|
|Partner Director Knowledge||Mónika Melofirstname.lastname@example.org||809.381.0505|
|Intellectual Property||Luis E Aquinoemail@example.com||809.381.0505|
|Labour & Employment||Natachú Dominguez (On Government Leave)||firstname.lastname@example.org||809.381.0505|
|Litigation and Dispute Resolution||Tristán Carbucciaemail@example.com||809.381.0505|
|Tax||Ana I Taverasfirstname.lastname@example.org||809.381.0505|