Seward & Kissel LLP > New York, United States > Firm Profile
Seward & Kissel LLP Offices
1 BATTERY PARK PLAZA
NEW YORK, NY 10004
Seward & Kissel LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsSeward & Kissel LLP represents an array of publicly-held and private shipping companies, along with shipping banks, owners and investors. The New York-based practice consistently acts in disputes arising from financings, shipping securities and governance issues, as well as vessel operations. The firm’s maritime litigators are also able to leverage the expertise of the firm’s robust US maritime corporate practice. Bruce G Paulsen co-chairs the firm’s litigation group alongside government investigations specialist Michael G Considine. ‘At the very top of his field’, Paulsen routinely handles complex maritime disputes, while counsel Brian Maloney, ‘excellent at cutting through to the detail’, litigates commercial disputes and manages regulatory investigations. Key associate Laura Miller‘s practice covers maritime litigation and regulatory inquiries.
‘Seward & Kissel are market leaders in the US, and their reputation is well deserved.’
‘A first-class service, with strength and depth from the bench.’
‘S&K is able to staff its teams with competent lawyers from diverse legal backgrounds (such as admiralty and maritime law and bankruptcy law) to grapple with complex problems in the transport and shipping sector.’
‘Bruce Paulsen is an industry veteran, and first class in his knowledge and performance.’
‘Bruce Paulsen is at the very top of his field – anything in this area I refer to him.’
‘Bruce Paulsen and counsel Brian Maloney are very capable, high-calibre, international admiralty attorneys, who are easy to work with, always available and deliver sound advice.’
‘Bruce Paulsen and Brian Maloney are highly competent and extremely hardworking.’
‘Brian Maloney is excellent at cutting through to the detail and focusing on the important matters – very responsive and with very good turnaround times.’
Commodities & Minerals Enterprise
ING Bank NV
Blue Wall Shipping
Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries
American Bureau of Shipping
Sargeant Bulk Asphalt
- Advised ING Bank in coordinating its national strategy, in relation to several dozen maritime arrest and interpleader actions.
- Represented Commodities & Minerals Enterprise in obtaining large-value awards in two maritime arbitrations.
- Represented Blue Wall Shipping in obtaining summary judgment in defence of a vessel attachment proceeding.
‘Investment management space is a key strength.’
‘James Abbott has excellent strategic advisory skills that go beyond legal issues to the heart of key business decisions.’
‘The team is very attentive to clients. Accessible and user-friendly. Great corporate law practice for the middle market.’
‘Jim Abbott is very good. He breaks down arcane legal concepts into easy-to-understand chunks. He is also very approachable, accessible and friendly, while driving a hard bargain for his clients.’
‘S&K gives the highest-quality legal advice focused on the practical objectives of clients rather than getting caught up in legal game-playing. This helps clients to close deals faster and with lower costs, while still addressing fundamentally important structuring and documentation issues.’
‘Craig Sklar and Nick Katsanos have been our deal team leads for many years. They embody the virtues noted above. They are highly responsive and efficient, as well as being excellent lawyers.’
‘Seward & Kissel is a top notch firm with broad capabilities in investment management, M&A, trusts and estates planning among many others. Attorneys have the right combination of legal and practical advice as well as the business acumen that is unusual to find in many lawyers. Top notch firm with partner involvement at every step. Overall you get great expertise at a reasonable price – my go to firm. Their team is amazing.’
‘Craig Sklar is an amazing M&A attorney who leaves no stone unturned and gets the deal done. He will work long hours to meet any deadline – superstar.’
iM Global Partner
Global Ship Lease, Inc.
Growth Catalyst Partners
Estancia Capital Management
Kennedy Lewis Investment Management
MedLit Graphics, LLC
TIG Advisors, LLC
Marblegate Asset Management, LLC
Kudu Investment Management
- Advised TIG Advisors and Tiedemann Wealth Management on merger with UK-based Alvarium Investments and SPAC Cartesian Growth Corp. to form NASDAQ-listed global wealth manager Alvarium Tiedemann Holdings with combined AUM of $54bn.
- Advised Global Ship Lease, Inc. (NYSE:GSL) on $233.9m acquisition of 12 containerships from Borealis Finance.
- Advised private equity sponsor Growth Catalyst Partners on acquisition of The Equine Network, a provider of proprietary equine sports content, information and tech enabled services, and follow-on acquisition of insect control provider Spalding Laboratories.
Hudson Structured Capital Management
Eagle Bulk Shipping
DNB Bank ASA
Star Bulk Carriers Corp
Global Ship Lease
- Represented Hudson Structured Capital Management in relation to a joint venture with Pangaea Logistics Solutions to acquire, own and operate four newbuilding bulk carriers, the transaction involving a secured pre-delivery term loan credit facility.
- Advised Eagle Bulk Shipping on its $400m fleet refinancing.
- Represented a major shipping company in its acquisition of ten Suezmax tankers, the consideration including both ordinary shares and cash.
Tiedemann Investment Group
Tiger Legatus Capital Management
Cohen & Company Capital Management
Pinnbrook Capital Management
- Advised Pinnbrook Capital Management on the structuring of its management company and fund entities, in addition to assisting with a nine-figure seed investment into the fund.
- Advised new investment manager Hurricane Capital Advisors on the formation and related regulatory considerations of a private investment platform vehicle utilizing segregated portfolios which will allow experienced managers to invest in various sectors, asset classes and geographies.
- Provided regulatory advice to Kennedy Lewis, a leading opportunistic credit manager, in connection with its strategic partnership with York Capital Management, with the spinout of its CLO division to a separate entity called Generate Advisers.
AB Funds/AllianceBernstein L.P.
Aegis Funds/Aegis Financial Corporation
Akre Capital Management LLC
Estancia Capital Partners
Fairholme Funds/Fairholme Capital Management LLC
North Square Funds
Prospector Funds/Prospector Partners Asset Management
Sequoia Fund/Ruane, Cunniff & Goldfarb LP
- Advised on the registration of three new North Square Funds and the reorganization of three mutual funds managed by Stadion Money Management into the corresponding North Square Funds, representing an acquisition of approximately $730m in fund assets now managed by North Square Investments.
- Advised iM Global Funds: iM Dolan McEniry Corporate Bond Fund, the iM DBi Managed Futures Strategy ETF and the iM DBi Hedge Strategy ETF on their reorganization into a corresponding clone fund of Litman Gregory Funds Trust, reflecting the transfer of approximately $171m in fund assets.
- Advised AB FlexFee Large Cap Growth Portfolio and AB Large Cap Growth Fund on AB Large Cap Growth Fund’s acquisition of approximately $389m worth of assets of AB FlexFee Large Cap Growth Portfolio.
Other key lawyers:
Jack Yoskowitz; Philip Moustakis; Noah Czarny
‘They are excellent: true experts in their field.’
‘Michael Considine has the ability to reduce very complex procedural and substantive legal issues to terms that are clear and understandable for the lay client and does so in an authoritative yet humble manner.’
‘It is a true pleasure to work with Michael Considine.’
‘Michael Considine is unusually strong and provides an impressive mix of experience and sound judgment and strategy.’
‘Mike Considine is a very experienced and skilled white-collar trial lawyer, with broad experience in a number of complex areas of law.’
‘Mike Considine’s work ethic is impressive and he is creative in approach, thoughtful and skilled at tailoring strategy to the individual case and client.’
Other key lawyers:
United Overseas Bank, Ltd.
Sancus Capital Credit Master Fund, Ltd., f/k/a Sancus Capital Blue Credit Opportunities Fund, Ltd.
Tocqueville Asset Management
Fairholme Capital Management, L.L.C., Fairholme Funds, Inc., and Bruce Berkowitz
CG Blockchain, Inc and BCT, Inc.
- Represented United Overseas Bank in a putative class action in the S.D.N.Y. captioned Frontpoint Asian Event Driven Fund, L.P. v. Citibank, N.A., (16-cv-5263) involving the alleged manipulation of SIBOR (Singapore Interbank Offered Rate) and SOR (Singapore Swap Offer Rate).
- Advised Tocqueville Asset Management in connection with books and records requests by minority investor founder and subsequent lawsuit seeking over $100 million in alleged damages to his investment.
- Represented investment fund in defending against claims brought by insurance company for alleged diversion of trust funds.
Other key lawyers:
Joseph Morrissey; David Mulle; Christopher Riccardi
Carbon Direct Capital Management
QVIDTVM Management, LLC
Cohen & Company Financial Management, LLC
Tru Arrow Partners
Stable Asset Management
- Assisted Carbon Direct Capital Management with the preparation of offering documents for a closed-end private equity fund.
- Represented FourWorld Capital Management in connection with the formation of a fund with a target raise of $500m that accommodated both US and non-US investors.
- Advised LexShares on a unique structure that allowed the fund to engage in a general solicitation for both its investors, and investors investing in special purpose co-investment vehicles.
Seward & Kissel LLP > Firm Profile
Seward & Kissel LLP, founded in 1890, is a leading US law firm with an international reputation for excellence. The firm focuses its practice primarily on corporate issues and litigation in the financial services, corporate finance and capital markets areas. The firm is particularly well known for its representation of major commercial banks, investment banking firms, investment advisers and related investment funds (including mutual funds and hedge funds), broker-dealers, institutional investors and transportation companies (particularly in the shipping area).
Main areas of practice
Bankruptcy and corporate reorganization: the firm handles bankruptcy, workout and reorganization matters.
Business transactions (M&A and private equity): clients in connection with middle-market mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and seed capital arrangements, with emphasis on investment management, broker-dealer and other financial services, shipping and media industry deals.
Capital markets: issuers and underwriters in US and global offerings of securities, ie registered initial and secondary public offerings (including ‘shelf’ offerings), private placements and Rule 144A and Reg S offerings.
Derivatives and other counterparty arrangements: dealers and counterparties in structuring, negotiating and documenting over-the-counter and cleared derivative instruments, including hybrid products, and advises industry participants on regulatory compliance programs, exchange-traded futures and options, and repurchase and securities lending programs.
Distressed debt and secondary-market trading: clients in the purchase and sale of distressed domestic and foreign loans, sovereign loans and other distressed debt, as well as in all aspects of the distressed debt practice area.
Global bank and institutional finance: domestic and international banks and financial institutions in structured finance, corporate trust, restructuring, workouts and insolvency, lending, aircraft and project finance; major banks in structuring innovative loan portfolio platform, leveraged loan transactions and total return swap transactions and distressed debt and claims trading.
Investment management: since forming the first hedge fund in 1949, the firm continues to represent a large market share of worldwide hedge fund work, with a client roster that includes a number of the top 100 hedge fund managers based on assets under management. The firm represents private investment and registered fund clients in fund formation, operation and other complex matters, including: tax, regulatory and compliance, business transactions, enforcement, litigation, management company, and fund structuring and reorganizations.
Litigation: banks, broker-dealers, investment managers and other clients in courts, regulatory proceedings, administrative tribunals and arbitrations, focusing on securities-related litigation, business disputes, government enforcement and internal investigations, employment matters, insurance, maritime, trademark, and bankruptcy and workout matters.
Maritime and aviation finance: creates innovative financing structures for shipowners and lenders, and handles complex transactional and other issues arising from the expansion and contraction of the shipping markets; advises owners, operators, lessors and financiers of commercial and corporate aircraft in the acquisition, leasing and financing thereof and the implementation of ownership structures.
Real estate: institutional investors, developers and others in buying, selling, developing and financing all types of real estate assets; joint ventures and the formation of, and investments in, private equity funds.
Structured finance and asset securitization: participants in connection with secured and unsecured, asset based, market value and cash flow transactions; multi-seller commercial paper conduit transactions; receivables transactions, including mobile device installment billing contracts; commercial lending; subscription finance; CLOs; risk retention structures and financing; public and private offerings of securities; project finance; and derivatives products.
|Bankruptcy and corporate reorganization||John R Ashmead|
|Business transactions (M&A and private equity)||James E Abbott|
|Business transactions (M&A and private equity)||Craig A Sklar|
|Capital markets||Gary J Wolfe|
|Capital markets||Robert E Lustrin|
|Capital markets||Edward S Horton|
|Capital markets||Keith Billotti|
|Derivatives and other counterparty arrangements||Craig Hickernell|
|Distressed debt and secondary market trading||Greg Cioffi|
|Distressed debt and secondary market trading||Kalyan (Kal) Das|
|Distressed debt and secondary market trading||John R Ashmead|
|ERISA and employee benefits||S John Ryan|
|Global bank and institutional finance (global corporate trust and restructuring/municipal and global project finance)||Kalyan (Kal) Das|
|Investment management||Patricia A Poglinco|
|Investment management||Robert B Van Grover|
|Litigation||Mark J Hyland|
|Litigation||Michael J McNamara|
|Maritime and aviation||Lawrence Rutkowski|
|Maritime and aviation||Michael Timpone|
|Maritime and aviation||James H Hancock|
|Real estate||Mark A Brody|
|Structured finance and asset securitization||Greg Cioffi|
|Structured finance and asset securitization||Kalyan (Kal) Das|
|Taxation||Jonathan P Brose|
|Taxation||Ronald P Cima|
|Taxation||James C Cofer|
|Trusts and estates||Hume R Steyer|
|Washington D.C.||Paul T Clark|
|Washington D.C.||Paul M Miller|
|James E Abbott||View Profile|
|Michael G Considine||View Profile|
|Nick Katsanos||Nick Katsanos is a partner in the Business Transactions Group at Seward…||View Profile|
|Danielle Lemberg||View Profile|
|Brian Maloney||View Profile|
|Laura Miller||View Profile|
|David Mulle||View Profile|
|Steven B Nadel||View Profile|
|Bruce G Paulsen||View Profile|
|Patricia A Poglinco||View Profile|
|Craig A Sklar||View Profile|
|Robert B Van Grover||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of Partners : 53 Number of Other Fee-Earners : 117 Total Staff : 298
United States: Private Client
Published: January 2022
Authors: David E. Stutzman Scott M. Sambur
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Private Client laws and regulations that may occur in United States.
Marshall Islands: Shipping
Published: November 2022
Authors: Bruce G. Paulsen Mike Timpone Hoyoon Nam Brian P. Maloney Kurt Plankl
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Shipping laws and regulations that may occur in Marshall Islands.
United States: Shipping
Published: December 2022
Authors: Bruce G. Paulsen Mike Timpone Hoyoon Nam Brian P. Maloney
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Shipping laws and regulations that may occur in United States.
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - litigation and regulation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - finance
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds