Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados > Lima, Peru > Firm Profile
Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados Offices
VÍCTOR A. BELAÚNDE 147
TORRE TRES, PISO 12
SAN ISIDRO, LIMA
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados > The Legal 500 Rankings
Peru > Banking and finance Tier 1At 35 lawyers strong, Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados fields one of the largest banking and finance groups in the country. Well known in the market for handling the structuring and implementation of complex transactions and financial products (both domestically and internationally), the practice counts medium and long-term loan mandates (syndicated or otherwise), project finance, securitisation transactions and acquisition financing, for both borrowers and lenders, among its broad range of areas of expertise. Deeply knowledgeable founding partner José Antonio Payet co-leads the team in conjunction with the similarly experienced José Cúneo: Payet is recommended for the full range of financial transactions and related matters; Cúneo for his broad financial practice and particular experience of transactions in the mining industry. Eduardo Vega, in turn, heads the finance and capital markets practice, while Giovanna García is the name to note for project finance and investment funds work, along with finance-related corporate matters. Recently promoted partner Alan García Nores handles both corporate and financial law (and is notably active for banks and financial institutions), Principal associate Rocio Gordillo 's practice covers banking and finance, capital markets and corporate law.
José Antonio Payet; José Cúneo
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Credicorp Capital Servicios Financieros
Itaú NoGold Fields La Cima
Copen Inversiones II (and affiliates)
InRetail Peru Corp
Banco Internacional del Perú
- Advised Volcan Compañía Minera on the Peruvian-law aspects related to obtaining a syndicated, senior, unsecured, term-loan facility of up to $400m.
- Advised the Bank of America, BofA Securities and Banco Santander in connection with a $300m financing granted to Minsur to finance a tender offer to repurchase its outstanding 6.25% senior notes (due 2024).
- Advised InRetail Perú Corporation regarding the $375m syndicated credit facility (under New York law) granted to its affiliated vehicle “Patrimonio en Fideicomiso D.S. 093-2002-EF Inretail Consumer” with the participation of JPMorgan Chase Bank (as lead arranger, bookrunner and administrative agent) and Bancode Crédito del Perú (as collateral agent).
Peru > Capital markets Tier 1Under the leadership of José Antonio Payet and Eduardo Vega, Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados continues to handle some of the largest deals in the market, acting for financial institutions on a range of matters, including the structuring of public offerings, take-over bids, exchange offers and the delisting of securities. It has recently been working with the Lima Stock Exchange in relation to various regulatory proposals to boost local capital markets deals and increase the liquidity of the Lima Stock Exchange. Key practitioner José Cúneo advises domestic and international clients on a range of transactional matters and has particular experience of the mining industry. Vega is a name to note for the structuring and issuance of debt and equity transactions, while Alan García Nores , who was promoted to the partnership in December 2021, acts for banks and financial institutions on domestic and cross-border transactions and financial products. Principal associate Rocio Gordillo has extensive experience in structuring and issuance of debt and equity transactions, financing, investment funds, securitization and mutual funds.
José Antonio Payet; Eduardo Vega
Credicorp Capital Servicios Financieros
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Banco BBVA Perú
Sura Investment Management
Compass Group Sociedad Administradorade Fondos de Inversión
Sigma Sociedad Administradora de Fondos de Inversión
Citigroup Global Markets, Goldman Sachs, HSBC Securities (USA) and Santander Investment Securities
- Acting as underwriters’ counsel for a $5bn global bond issuance on the international markets by the Republic of Peru.
- Acting as underwriters’ counsel on the structuring of the sovereign bonds of the Republic of Peru in three US-dollar denominated tranches for an aggregate amount of $4bn.
- Acted as initial purchaser’s counsel on a $380m international bond issuance by San Miguel Industrias PET and NG R&P Latin America as co-issuers.
Peru > Competition and antitrust Tier 1Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados’ competition and antitrust team is well respected in the market and has a high-profile for its experience in a range of cross-border mandates, including advisory work, investigations, and administrative and judicial litigation. The team – which often acts for clients in class action and private enforcement cases relating to consumer protection, advertising claims and unfair competition matters – is co-lead by senior figure Carlos A. Patrón and Julia Loret De Mola, who was promoted to the partnership in December 2021. Inordinately experienced, Patrón has had an illustrious career which included a stint at INDECOPI, the authoring of industry publications and working abroad at a large international law firm; Loret de Mola, in turn, is recommended for competition matters, and administrative and commercial law. Principal associates David Kuroiwa and Giancarlo Baella both handle commercial and administrative law matters, with the former additionally focusing on antitrust and IP-related matters, and the latter on competition.
Carlos A Patrón; Julia Loret de Mola
‘In my opinion, it is the best practice in Lima for antitrust issues‘.
‘They have adapted very well to the new Merger Control Law since last year, and they acting on several cases‘.
‘They know how to interact with the authorities very effectively‘.
‘They make excellent use of forensic tools when the case warrants it‘.
‘Carlos Patron, main partner of the practice, stands out in his legal knowledge and his ability to ground his advice in practical recommendations for business managers (not only legal ones, but also commercial ones)‘.
‘The depth of the team is an attribute that sets this firm apart‘.
‘Julia Loret de Mola, recently promoted to partner, is excellent, as are David Kuroiwa and Giancarlo Baella‘.
San Miguel Industrias PET (NexusGroup)
Compañía Latinoamericana de Radiodifusión
Unión de Cervecerías Peruanas Backus y Johnston (AB Inbev)
Productos Tissue del Perú
Tecnológica de Alimentos
Aenza (formerly: Graña y Montero Group)
América Móvil Perú
InRetail Perú Corp
- Advising a pharmaceutical client on a preliminary investigation initiated ex-officio by the Peruvian Competition Commission regarding possible abuse of a dominant market position in the pharmaceuticals sector.
- Advising a retail client on a preliminary investigation initiated ex-officio by the Peruvian Competition Commission regarding possible abuse of dominant position practices in the pharmaceutical market.
- Advising Graña y Montero on an investigative and fining procedure initiated ex-officio by the Peruvian Competition Commission, related to possible bid-rigging in public procurement processes for construction, rehabilitation, and maintenance of roads, during the period between 2002 and 2016.
Peru > Compliance Tier 1Highly active in the market, Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados’s compliance team acts for domestic and international clients on crime prevention, criminal investigations and the implementation of compliance controls. Under the leadership of Carlos Patrón, José Cúneo and Juan Diego Ugaz, the practice continues to assist clients with issues related to anti-money laundering, antitrust, financial matters, employment, health and safety, and environmental risk. Patrón is recommended for the implementation of antitrust compliance programs mandated by the National Institute for the Defence of Competition and the Protection of Intellectual Property (INDECOPI); and Ugaz is a name to note for criminal law, alongside Francisco Ugaz, who was promoted to the partnership in December 2021 and acts for clients in the infrastructure, financial, and oil-and-gas sectors. Principal associate Giancarlo Baella is recommended for competition, administrative and commercial law, and associate Erick Palao is another name to note. Since research concluded the firm has announced the hire of Ivan Meini (effective, September 2022); a renowned academic who also has a lengthy public-sector curriculum; he handles both white-collar and compliance matters.
Juan Diego Ugaz; Carlos Patrón; José Cúneo
‘Personalised advice is tailored to the specific needs of the client’.
‘They are quite flexible’.
‘They have managed to understand the core of our unusual business’.
Graña y Montero Group (AENZA)
- Advised Graña y Montero on a range of antitrust contingencies that could have affected the company.
Peru > Corporate and M&A Tier 1The corporate team at Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados is well known for operating at the top of the market under the leadership of José Antonio Payet and Susan Castillo. Founding partner Payet focuses on commercial matters, M&A, and financial transactions, acting for both public and private companies. Castillo offers similar experience, with ancillary expertise in civil law, banking and finance, and capital markets. Other key partners include Juan José Cauvi, Alonso Rey and former principal associate Alan García Nores, who was raised to the partnership in January 2022. Senior associate Guillermo Arribas is also noted. Clients typically range from industrial buyers or sellers, investment banks, private equity firms or family-own conglomerates.
José Antonio Payet; Susan Castillo
Peru > Dispute resolution Tier 1Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados is sought out by high-profile domestic and international clients for advice on civil, commercial, corporate, regulatory, and enforcement-related disputes. It has considerable experience litigating contentious administrative cases and handles shareholder lawsuits and business recovery matters. The team is jointly led by Julio César Pérez and Mario Reggiardo: Pérez focuses on litigation, arbitration, constitutional procedural law and commercial law, and Reggiardo is recommended for international commercial arbitration and also has experience of ICC arbitrations. Luis Bustamante was recently promoted to partner and is a name to note for commercial, civil and administrative litigation, while principal associate Mayra Bryce counts large banks among her clientele and is experienced in international litigation and investment arbitrations. Fellow principal associate Micaela Ortiz has experience of arbitration in the corporate and construction sectors, with clients highlighting ‘her high capacity for analysis, quick responses and creativity to design strategies.’
Julio César Pérez; Mario Reggiardo
‘Working with the litigation team at Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados is always my first option. Its team is great and always responds proactively; the attorneys have many subspecialties and provide great service; they have adequate technological tools that meet the needs of customers.‘
‘I have worked on many issues directly with Micaela Ortiz, who is a senior associate in the litigation area, and her work is extraordinary. I highlight her high capacity for analysis, quick responses and creativity to design strategies.’
Concesionaria Terrapuerto Trujillo
Rover Alcisa Perú (Grupo Rover)
Enel Generación Perú
- Advised Concesionaria Terrapuerto Trujillo on a succesful arbitration relating to a breach of contract.
- Advised Scotiabank Perú on a judicial proceeding to nullify a resolution of the Peruvian Tax Authority that -illegally- requires a payment based on the application of an irregular interest rate.
- Advising an international company on a consultation procedure regarding an international trade agreement prior to initiating an ICSID arbitration.
Peru > TMT (Technology, media and telecoms) Tier 1The TMT team at Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados has considerable experience representing clients in administrative procedures before regulators such as the Ministry of Transport and Communications (MTC) and OSIPTEL, as well as before judicial courts and arbitration. Catering to a range of clients, the practice has particular experience in the telecoms sector where it represents some of the country’s largest operators. Gerardo Soto co-leads the team and focuses on regulatory and administrative work, frequently defending clients before the regulators. Fellow practice co-head Carlos Patrón is a key name for competition and antitrust matters, while principal associate Giancarlo Baella also handles competition issues, as well as administrative and commercial matters. Senior Associate Carlos Baldeón focuses on telecoms, regulatory and public law, and is experienced in investigations and contentious matters; principal associate David Kuroiwa is also active in the sector.
Gerardo Soto; Carlos Patrón
‘Knowledge of the automotive market and a comprehensive vision of the big picture on data issues‘.
América Móvil Perú
Compañía Latinoamericana de Radiodifusión (Latina Televisión)
Enfoca Sociedad Administradora de Fondosde Inversión
Sociedad Minera Corona
CRP Medios y Entretenimientos
Gilat Networks Peru
Gilat to Home Peru
Speedcast (Newcom International Peru)
Unión de Cervecerías Peruanas Backus y Johnston (Backus)
Vale Exploration Perú
Productos Tissue del Perú
Ford Perú (Ford Motor Company Group)
- Advising America Móvil Perú on all relevant administrative procedures before local authorities, including the Ministry of Telecommunications and OSIPTEL.
- Advising Gilat Networks Perú on the implementation of regional broadband installation projects for integral connectivity and social development in Apurimac, Ayacucho and Huancavelica, as well as on the negotiation and drafting of addendum proposals to be presented to the Telecommunications Investment Fund and the Ministry of Transport andCommunications for the amendment of aspects related to the oversight of the works in charge of FITEL, disbursements in favor of the company and guarantees.
- Advising Grupo Intercorp on an investigation by the Peruvian Consumer Protection Commission.
Energy and natural resources > Electricity Tier 2Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados advises large international and domestic energy companies on day-to-day issues, administrative proceedings, corporate matters and arbitration. It has specialist knowledge of compliance issues in the energy industry, as well as the regulatory requirements to operate as a power transmission concessionaire. The team is led by Gerardo Soto who is head of the firm's regulatory and administrative law practices; he focuses primarily on the energy, telecoms and transport infrastructure sectors. Principal associate Mayra Aguirre is also a key practitioner; a specialist in electricity regulation and administrative law, she handles a broad range of matters in the electricity sector, including licensing and permitting, project execution and other regulatory and public law matters.
‘The team was very collaborative and always looking for solutions‘.
‘Mayra Aguirre was very committed and gave a lot of solvency to the required topics‘.
Genrent del Perú
Enel Generación Perú
Enel Distribución Perú
Enel Generación Piura (formerly EEPSA)
Enel Green Power Perú
Conelsur LT (Group Transelec)
Parque Eólico Marcona / Parque EólicoTres Hermanas
Volcan Compañía Minera
Sociedad Minera Corona
Boroo Mining Company
Bodegas San Francisco Almacenes del Perú
Financiera Nacional de Desarrollo (Colombia)
Condominios Ecológicos Asia del Campo
- Advising Genrent del Perú on day-to-day matters and all issues concerning its operations, including the requirements and obligations that the company must fulfil as a concessionaire for the Iquitos Cold Reserve Generation Plant and transmission facilities.
- Advising Grupo T-Solar Global on all regulatory, electricity and corporate matters relating to its operation of two photovoltaic power plants in southern Peru.
- Day-to-day advisory to Enel Group and its Peruvian subsidiaries (including Enel Generación Perú) regarding all regulatory issues, including rate revision procedures, compliance with the regulatory requirements to operate as a power generator, concessionaires, and representation in sanctioning and administrative proceedings before the Ministry of Energy and Mines, the environmental authority (OEFA), and regulatory agency OSINERGMIN, as well as other government authorities.
Peru > Projects and infrastructure Tier 2Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados is a go-to destination for private, domestic and foreign corporations from a range of sectors engaged in the development and financing of infrastructure and energy projects, including highways, ports, airports, pipelines, power plants, electrical transmission lines and wastewater treatment plants. On the project design front, the team advises on the contractual, tax, and regulatory aspects, while also offering expertise in construction, corporate and environmental issues. The group is managed by corporate and financing practitioner Juan Antonio Egüez, regulatory and administrative partner Gerardo Soto, and Giovanna García, who handles local and cross-border finance transactions. Counsel Karen Ángeles is a name to note for public and administrative law, the latter of which is also an area of particular focus for principal associate Michelle Aramburú.
Juan Antonio Egüez; Gerardo Soto; Giovanna García
‘The level of involvement of the firm is very good.’
‘The level of analysis of the different options in decision-making is excellent.’
Cosco Shipping Ports Chancay Perú
América Móvil Perú
Banco de Crédito del Perú
Banco BBVA Perú and Minera Boroo Misquichilca
Compañía Minera Poderosa
Unión de Cervecerías Peruanas Backus y Johnston
APM Terminals Callao
Terminal Portuario Paracas
- Providing corporate and regulatory advice to Terminales Portuarios Chancay on the development of a port infrastructure project.
- Advising FCC Aqualia on its participation in the public tender to grant private investors concession of the project “Improvement of the Sewerage System and Sewage Treatment of the City of Puerto Maldonado, District of Tambopata, Province of Tambopata, Department of Madre de Dios” called by the Private Investment Promotion Agency -Proinversión.
- Assisting Asociación de Bancos del Perú – ASBANC in the management of a series of infrastructure projects developed under the “Works for Taxes” scheme.
Peru > Public law and regulation Tier 2Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados offers clients ‘highly trained, super-professional lawyers who provide effective solutions’. Its regulatory and administrative law practice group is led by Gerardo Soto and handles administrative procedures before all government entities, including ministries, regulatory agencies and local governments as well as a full range of advisory assistance. The team acts for clients in the energy, mining, telecoms and transportation sectors, among others, on procurement processes, PPPs, concessions, permits, licenses and regulatory matters. Soto is well versed in representing clients before regulatory agencies, such as OSINERGMIN, OSITRAN and INDECOPI; while counsel Karen Ángeles, who has in-house and public sector experience, is a name to note for Works for Taxes and PPP projects, among other issues. Principal Associate Michelle Aramburú has notable experience in infrastructure matters.
‘Coordination with the firm in different subjects/specialties is very easy, since the entire relationship is centralised with a Partner (regardless of the subject)‘.
‘The partner can assign a team specialised in the subject (corporate, tax, corporate, licenses, etc.) immediately and give the appropriate response‘.
‘The team in general is very professional and offers immediate responses‘.
‘Michelle Aramburu took ownership of the case as if it were her own‘.
‘Michelle Aramburu obtainiedthe desired results, despite the initial chances of success in the case‘.
‘We received very good advice and in a difficult case where other law firms gave up‘.
‘I worked directly with Michelle Aramburú who was always available to help and provide expert information on the subject‘.
‘The firm has highly trained, super-professional lawyers who provide effective solutions for the needs of clients.’
APM Terminals Callao
Terpel Comercial del Perú
Edificios Santa Cruz
Talma Servicios Aeroportuarios
Aionia Technology Corporation
Hitachi ABB Power Grids
CRP Medios y Entretenimiento
Sacyr Concesiones Peru
Terminal Portuario Paracas
Limagas Natural Perú and Lima Gas (Lipigas Group)
Unión de Cervecerías Peruanas Backus y Johnston
- Ongoing advice to Inca Rail on regulatory and administrative matters before public entities such as the Ministry of Transport and Communications, the regulator (OSITRAN), the railway line concessionaire – Ferrocarril Transandino (Fetransa), and other local and sectorial authorities.
- Advising América Móvil on regulatory matters and on administrative sanctioning proceedings initiated by OSIPTEL.
- Advising ASBANC on tender processes and project execution.
Energy and natural resources > Mining Tier 3Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados frequently advises on financing for mining projects, counselling both the recipient mining companies and the lending financial institutions. Lead partner José Cúneo recently led the team advising the underwriters on Minsur’s issuance of notes worth $5oom and financing worth $300m; and also assisted multiple banks with guarantee letters for Compañía de Minas Buenaventura. Beyond financial matters, the practice handles all legal aspects relevant for mining activities, including titling and real estate, environmental and social aspects, regulatory compliance, project development and construction, and tax and labour issues. Other matters saw counsel Angel Chavez assist the team that undertook the purchase of the Lagunas Norte gold mine by Boroo Pte, involving a corporate reorganisation of the target company.
‘Technical knowledge and experience of the team in relation to mining legal issues. The prompt response to our requests is also something to highlight about the office’.
Minera Boroo Misquichilca
Gold Fields La Cima
Volcan Compañia Minera
Sociedad Minera Corona
Vale Exploration Perú
- Acted as Peruvian counsel to the underwriters in connection with (1) a tender offer for the US-dollar 6.250% senior notes (due 2024), issued by Minsur; and (2) the issuance by Minsur of $500m new US dollar-denominated 4.500% senior notes (due 2031), pursuant to Rule 144A/Reg.S of the US Securities Act.
- Advising on the sale by Barrick Gold Corporation of the Lagunas Norte gold mine, located in the La Libertad province of Peru, to Boroo Pte, through the sale of 100% of the shares of Minera Barrick Misquichilca.
- Advised Volcan Compañía Minera in connection with an offering by Volcan of $475m of its 4.375% notes (due 2026), and a concurrent offer by the cmpany to purchase for cash up to $125m of its 5.375% notes (due 2022).
Peru > Environment Tier 3Led by counsel Vanessa Chávarry, who focuses on compliance with environmental regulations, Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados advised the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute on Peruvian regulations regarding its studies on biodiversity and forests in the country. The team also acts for the firms strong banking and finance client roster, advising financial institutions on the environmental risks related to their operations, and on the developing of the environmental clauses of loan agreements related to the emergent 'green financing' segment; it has acted for for Credicorp Capital Financial Services and Banco de Crédito del Perú, on such matters. Mining and agriculture are other sectors in which the team has been active, primarily in terms advising on environmental impact assessments and permits, and performing environmental and social audits.
‘Compared to other studios with which we have worked, Payet’s environmental team has the added value of field knowledge of the sector and of the projects subject to review, which facilitates the interaction between legal and technical aspects’.
‘One of the aspects that we value most about Payet’s environmental lawyers is that they go to the field and actively participate in the evaluation of projects, creating synergy with the technical team’.
‘Payet has the specialised lawyers that organisations like the one I work for need, since their responses are very accurate when issuing an opinion, which is why they provide us with important support in legal and environmental aspects’.
‘They are orderly, quite analytical and transparent when giving an opinion, they share knowledge and their objective is not only to give you an opinion but to give you the tools so that one can also analyse the situation’.
Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute
Minera Chinalco Perú
Credicorp Capital Financial Services /Banco de Crédito del Perú
Nexa Resources Perú
Generación Eléctrica Río Biavo (Rio Biavo)
Sociedad Agrícola Saturno
Compañía Minera las Camelias (COMICSA)
Sociedad Suizo Peruana de Embutidos
Vale Exploration Perú
- Advised the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, through the Asociación Peruana para la Conservación (APECO), on the Peruvian legal framework for the elaboration, evaluation and supervision of complex environmental studies in the transportation, electricity, mining, and hydrocarbon sectors.
- Counseled Minera Chinalco Perú on the process of approval for the Modification of the Environmental Impact Study of the ‘Toromocho Mining Unit Expansion Project to 170,000 TPD’ before the National Service for Environmental Certification for Sustainable Investment (SENACE)
- Advised Banco de Crédito del Perú and Credicorp Capital Financial Services on the development and updating of the environmental clauses of their loan agreements in compliance with Equator Principles 4 and national regulations enacted by the Superintendency of Banks, Insurers and Private Pension Funds (Superintendencia de Banca y Seguros), relating to environmental and social risks.
Peru > Labour and employment Tier 4Clients appreciate the ‘openness and willingness to receive different points of view‘ at Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados, where the labour and employee benefits department handles contract terminations, union disputes and advice on Covid-19 regulation compliance. Practice co-heads Cristina Oviedo and Brian Ávalos (who made partner in January 2022) also specialise in procedural and pension law. Other work ranges from handling judicial disputes and payroll reviews by the Peruvian Tax Authority to designing recruitment policies and implementing salary and labour benefit structures, as well as cost reduction strategies. Associate Martín Ruggiero ‘stands out from the rest for his experience in both the private and public sectors‘.
‘Stands out for its closeness and collaborative work, always attentive to providing solutions, immediate availability.’
‘An important characteristic of the lawyers with whom I have been able to interact is the openness and willingness to receive different points of view.’
‘The labour team of Payet stands out for its capacity for analysis and strategies when proposing solutions to the client that protect their interests.’
‘Martín Ruggiero stands out from the rest for his experience in both the private and public sectors, in addition to his ability to be close to the client despite the workload he may have. He always has an excellent disposition to support and answer questions.’
‘The Payet team are highly competitive, even if the case is against them, they look for alternatives and argue until they achieve their goals.’
Atracciones Coney Island (Coney Park)
Unique (Yanbal International)
Thomson Reuters Peru
Hitachi ABB Power Grids Peru
Visa International Peru
CRP Medios y Entretenimiento
- Advising Unique on general labour matters, with a special emphasis on union issues and labour-related judicial and administrative proceedings.
- Advising Atracciones Coney Island on general labour work, including specific advice regarding Covid-19 regulations.
- Advising Grupo Expertia on general labour issues, including specific advice regarding Covid-19 regulations.
Peru > Real estate Tier 4Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados advises on due diligence reviews and commercial or industrial real estate acquisitions, as well as property residential transactions, construction, financing, real estate proceedings. Alfredo Chan brings M&A and arbitration expertise to this space; he co-heads the practice alongside corporate partner Giovanna García. The team counts developers, specialist real estate funds and financial institutions on its client roster, with FIBRA Prime remaining a prominent current client. Other key contacts come from a wide pool of associates include principal Guillermo Arribas specialises in civil law, real estate law, M&A and arbitration, and has considerable real estate transactional experience; while senior Roberto Gutierrez specialises in regulatory real estate matters and real estate law.
Patrimonio en Fideicomiso
Renewable Resource Group
Hitachi Energy Peru
- Advised FIBRA Prime on the acquisition of an office building located in downtown Lima (historic centre) through a mixed structure: a real estate contribution, and a real estate sale and purchase.
- Conducted a due diligence review for FIBRA Prime regarding the acquisition of a property used as a dark kitchen for several gastronomic operators in the Surquillo district (Lima).
- Advising Renewable Resources Group on its acquisition of the majority of shares in Agrícola Don Ricardo, a prime agribusiness company in Peru, including both the due diligence and preparation of all the transactional agreements.
Peru > Tax Tier 4The tax department at Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados is closely aligned with the firm’s corporate offering. Vanessa Watanabe‘s team of ‘high-level professionals' provides consulting services, advice on special audit assignments and acts on contentious matters before the Peruvian Tax Court and Judiciary - usually for clients in the retail, mining, energy and finance sectors. Principal associate Lisset López specialises in wealth management consultancy along with digital and cryptocurrencies taxation; while senior associate Renzo Grández is appreciated for her ‘experience in the business'.
‘The strong point that the tax area of the Payet firm has is its vast knowledge in the agro-industrial export business, in the business part and in the part of the tax regulations that regulate our operations.’
‘Renzo Grandez: experience in the business industry, analytical, profile of seeking solutions to problems. Alonso Rey has vast experience in the industry, direct in giving messages to management.’
‘They are not only high-level professionals, but they are also our business partners. They are always by our side providing us with advice, comfort and helping us to measure the risks of operations.’
‘Vanessa Watanabe and Jose Antonio Payet are the partners in charge of the tax and corporate areas, respectively. Both provide us with fundamental legal support in our transactions, providing us with legal advice, but also helping us to identify risks, giving us comfort and balancing the pros and cons of making our business decisions. We feel that they always accompany us in all the steps of the transactions in which we work together, helping us to identify the main problems or risks to which we are exposed.’
The Carlyle Group
Banco de Desarrollo del Perú (COFIDE)
Nexa Resources Atacocha
Agricola Pampa Baja
- Advised InRetail Perú Corp and its Peruvian subsidiary Inretail Consumer (as issuer), in connection with the tax implications of two international bond issuances: i) $600m in 3.25% senior secured notes under Rule 144A/Reg.S of the US Securities Act (due in 2028); and ii) P$555m in 4.90% senior secured notes (due 2028), also under Rule 144A/Reg.S of the US Securities Act.
- Advised Colombian’s state entity Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional on the analysis of Peruvian issues regarding the sale of Interconexión Eléctrica (ISA), a Colombian company which has Peruvian subsidiaries in the electricity market; the mandate involved analysing the tax consequences of the indirect transfer of Peruvian shares – especially with respect to Andean Community Tax Treaty’s benefits (Decision 578) – and participating in the due diligence of the ten Peruvian subsidiaries of ISA.
- Assisted Citigroup, Credit Suisse, JP Morgan and Santander, as initial purchasers, on Peruvian tax matters related to the issuance of $380m in 3.5% secured senior notes (due 2028), carried out jointly by San Miguel Industrias PET and NG PET R&P Latin America, under Rule 144A/Reg.S.
Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados > Firm Profile
Founded in 1996, today Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados is regarded as one of the most important law firms in the country, with significant experience and a proven track-record in providing services of the highest added value in the various areas of the law related to corporate activity.
Areas of practice
Corporate/M&A: the practice covers a broad range of topics from incorporation procedures to corporate restructuring and market exit, including corporate transactions and contracts in general, and commercial legislation, among others. The firm’s frequent participation in acquisitions and transactions provides it with the knowledge and experience necessary to provide the best and most innovative advice.
Capital markets and finance: the firm counsels institutional lenders and investors, borrowers and financial institutions in matters related to corporate finance. Its experience includes the design and listing of public equity and debt offerings, takeover bids, exchange offers, securitizations, investment funds and other innovative financial instruments. Of particular importance is the firm’s vast experience in international offerings, in which it has interacted with leading firms, auditors and investment banks internationally.
Corporate and commercial litigation: the firm regularly represents foreign and local clients in civil, commercial, corporate and regulatory disputes. In recent years it has represented clients in important local corporate and shareholder litigations. The firm’s commercial experience covers leading cases related to business recovery, insolvency, insurance and reinsurance, contract enforcement, civil liability and torts.
Competition/regulation: the firm represents clients in a broad array of corporate transactions concerning horizontal restraints, monopolization, tying, exclusive dealing, refusals to deal and numerous vertical arrangements. Its experience also involves price-fixing, exclusionary practices and merger control procedures, as well as a wide array of trade regulation, unfair competition, intellectual property, product liability and consumer protection matters. The firm’s practice covers a broad array of regulated industries. Its energy practice represents some of the country’s most important electricity generation, transmission and distribution companies, as well as other participants in the electricity and gas markets. The firm’s communications practice counsels in all procedural aspects related to the granting of licences, concessions and authorizations, negotiating and drafting interconnection agreements and implementing regulated price structures.
Projects: the firm has extensive experience in the design and execution of non-recourse or limited recourse project financing structures. The firm’s experience includes counseling developers, sponsors and lenders to important projects in the infrastructure sector in Peru, including advising in all negotiations and procedures needed to obtain the necessary governmental concessions, permits and authorizations.
Tax: the tax practice is mainly focused on tax planning and consulting, special tax audit assignments and representation before tax and customs authorities. The department has particularly relevant expertise in M&A transactions, regularly counseling on the most suitable and business-oriented tax schemes to successfully structure and implement these types of transactions. The firm also has important experience providing advice on, and enforcing, tax benefits applicable to investors and to the recipient companies of such investments.
Labor: the labor practice encompasses advice related to personnel hiring plans, including nationals and expatriates, preparation and drafting of management compensation and welfare benefits programs, as well as implementing labor cost reduction strategies.
|Partners||José Antonio Payet E: email@example.com|
|Partners||Alonso Rey E: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Partners||Juan José Cauvi E: email@example.com|
|Corporate and M&A||José Antonio Payet|
|Corporate and M&A||Susan Castillo|
|Corporate and M&A||Giovanna Garcia|
|Banking, finance and capital markets||José Antonio Payet|
|Banking, finance and capital markets||Eduardo Vega|
|Banking, finance and capital markets||José Cúneo|
|Projects and infrastructure||Alonso Rey|
|Projects and infrastructure||Juan Antonio Egüez|
|Projects and infrastructure||Giovanna Garcia|
|Dispute resolution (litigation and arbitration)||Julio César Pérez|
|White-collar crime||José Caro John|
|White-collar crime||Juan Diego Ugaz|
|Competition and antitrust||Carlos A Patrón|
|Labor and employment||Alonso Rey|
|Ms Susan Castillo||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Juan José Cauvi||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Alfredo Chan||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr José Cúneo||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Juan Antonio Egüez||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Giovanna García||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Cristina Oviedo||Cristina is a Partner of the Firm, specializing in labor and pension…||View Profile|
|Mr Carlos A. Patrón||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr José Antonio Payet||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Julio César Pérez||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Mario Reggiardo||Mario is a Partner of the firm, specializing in commercial arbitration, both…||View Profile|
|Mr Alonso Rey||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Gerardo Soto||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Juan Diego Ugaz||Partner||View Profile|
|Mr Eduardo Vega||Partner||View Profile|
|Ms Vanessa Watanabe||Partner||View Profile|
Staff FiguresOther fee-earners : 97
OtherPartners : 17
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Competition and antitrust
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- TMT (Technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity
- Projects and infrastructure
- Public law and regulation