Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP > Paris, France > Firm Profile
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP Offices
47, AVENUE HOCHE
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP > The Legal 500 Rankings
France > Banking and finance: Bank regulatory Tier 2Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP‘s financial regulatory expertise is sought after by some of France’s largest financial institutions, notably UBS France and BNP Paribas. Hubert De Vauplane is an expert on European and French financial and banking regulation. Hugues Bouchetemble assists banks, investment firms, and life insurers regarding questions related to the creation of regulated institutions, internal organisation, compliance, distribution of financial products, and cross-border banking and financing.
‘In the context of disciplinary proceedings before the AMF, the advice and assistance provided to employees supported by the Kramer firm were very relevant. Excellent analytical and editorial skills.’
‘Very strong and noticed involvement of Hugues Bouchetemble. Very technical and rigorous approach to the subjects. Fine analysis and particularly informed. Excellent writing and interpersonal skills. Clear and accessible speech.’
‘Excellent legal and commercial knowledge delivering value via practical advice on real-world problems. Flexible, open to collaboration, highly responsive. Hard to imagine what more they could have done.’
‘Hugues Bouchetemble and his team work in “business unit ” mode, with good complementarity between lawyers and cases followed up together. Their organization is particularly efficient. Hugues Bouchetemble supports us on strategic issues, with a high level of availability. He knows how to adapt with great flexibility to our changing needs and recommends pragmatic solutions.’
‘Kramer is very sharp on regulatory aspects’
‘Hugues Bouchetemble is remarkable!’
‘Hugues Bouchetemble, who stands out with an always very global vision of the subjects and above all a particularly operational approach, is always a force of proposal. Its proposals are pragmatic, very concrete, making its support on complex subjects very valuable.’
‘The Kramer Levin, specifically Hugues Bouchetemble and his teams, demonstrate great responsiveness and expertise. Beyond the legal aspect, our contacts are extremely pragmatic and quickly grasp the operational aspects of regulatory development. Finally, Bouchetemble and his teams have a perfect knowledge of our company.’
LA BANQUE POSTALE AM
UBS Suisse & Luxembourg
- Advised La Banque Postale Asset Management on the reorganisation of its full range of pan-European UCIs.
- Advised BNP Paribas on the redesign of its relationship entry process for retail customers to adapt it to digitalisation.
- Assisted OTC EX with the creation of a new product as an actively managed certificate (AMC) with an international benchmark of the location of the SPV, an EU and Swiss review of the legal distribution framework, and with drafting and negotiating various contracts with multiple parties.
France > Construction Tier 2Renaud Dubois‘ team at Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP acts for private and semipublic institutional clients, as well as for major players in the construction industry. The group's experience in construction disputes involving nuclear assets, and in particular its work for the Commissariat à l’Energie Atomique in relation to numerous disputes, is notable. Renaud Dubois is ‘professional, responsive and pragmatic’ and leads the team of talented associates, notably Penelope Delestre and Ophélie Boulos.
Other key lawyers:
‘Renaud Dubois is a very established lawyer of the group who assists us in both advice and litigation relating to construction law. He is very competent in real estate law and in construction law in particular, professional, responsive and pragmatic. His associate, Ophélie Boulos is also very professional.’
‘The structure of the firm allows work in synergy with other departments, for all legal questions related to construction law.’
Poste Immo / La Poste Group
Commissariat à l’Energie Atomique (CEA)
Eternit (Etex Group)
Spie Batignolles Immobilier
Terminaux de Normandie
- Assisting Icade and its subsidiary Icade Promotions with numerous construction disputes involving office, business and/or residential buildings.
- Advising La Poste and its real estate subsidiary Poste-Immo on numerous construction disputes involving industrial assets or offices of the La Poste Group.
- Acted for the Commissariat à l’Energie Atomique in numerous construction disputes involving nuclear assets.
France > Dispute resolution: Stock market litigation Tier 2Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP regularly acts for banks and financial institutions in high-stakes regulatory audits and disciplinary investigations led by the AMF. The team is currently involved in a number of matters pertaining to stock market abuse allegations, for example involving false information dissemination, market price manipulation and activism issues. Hubert de Vauplane and Hugues Bouchetemble co-head the practice which welcomed Mathieu Françon, formerly of counsel at Bredin Prat, in November 2021.
Hubert de Vauplane; Hugues Bouchetemble
‘They were able to provide us with quality advice and service.’
‘The team is highly available, competent and finds practical solutions.’
- Advising Muddy Waters in the context of an AMF price manipulation investigation of Casino.
- Assisting Nestadio with proceedings before the AMF sanction commission.
- Assisting Acadian with proceedings before the AMF sanction commission.
France > Capital markets: debt capital markets Tier 3
‘Efficient, responsive, excellent advice, collaborative work with the client.’
‘Involved in the business. Ultra responsive. Partner always present and available.’
‘Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel not only brought an idea, but also knew how to ensure an efficient execution in coordination with the other counsels and with fixed prices allowing to have visibility, which have always been respected.’
‘Gilles Saint Marc’s is a brilliant and agile mind, quick and efficient. He knows how to think ‘out of the box’ by integrating the strategic and commercial dimension, while maintaining the highest standards. Gilles is one of those interlocutors with whom you can make your company grow by relying on the reliability of his legal knowledge, but also on his understanding of the markets. He is always available on a very short notice and comes back very quickly.’
‘The team led by Gilles Saint Marc has a great deal of expertise, particularly in securitization and debt issues.’
‘Gilles Saint Marc is an excellent lawyer who has perfectly mastered the mechanics of securitisation and debt funds. His help was invaluable.’
Cap Vert Energie
La Banque Postale Asset Management
Schelscher Prince Gestion
ITM Entreprises (Groupe les Mousquetaires)
Constructel Constructions et Télécommunications
Eiffel Investment Group
- Advised the investors and the arranger in connection with the €100,000,000 Euro PP bond issued by HLD Europe and listed on the Luxembourg Euro MTF.
- Advising TP ICAP (as arranger), Aviva Investors, Tikehau Capital, Schelscher Prince Gestion, Klesia Finances, SHAM and SAAR LB (as investors) in connection with the €152,000,000 Euro PP secured ‘Impact’ bonds issued by MAGELLAN.
- Advised Midcap Partners (as arranger), Artemid, Eiffel IG, La Banque Postale AM and SP Gestion (as investors) in connection with the €140,000,000 Euro PP secured sustainability-linked (Impact) bonds issued by LUMIBIRD and listed on Euronext Access.
France > Private equity: venture/growth capital Tier 3
‘Alexandre Ommagio is a high-quality lawyer who combines technical skills and expertise on the one hand and an ability to make deals a reality on the other.’
‘The team has the advantage of being multidisciplinary. The team is well coordinated and works well together. Everybody is an expert in their respective fields.‘
Ace Capital Partners
EQT Capital Partners
InfraVia Capital Partners
Ligna / Biosylva
Lumos Capital Fund
- Assisted the investors led by Ace Capital Partners, with the €20m Series A fundraising of Tehtris, a French cybersecurity solutions provider.
- Advised EQT Capital Partners on its equity investment in Verkor, a French company specialised in the manufacturing of low-carbon batteries in the context of Verkor’s €100m series B fundraising.
- Advised Lumos Capital Fund on round C §80m capital raise in OpenClassrooms.
France > Banking and finance: transactional work Tier 4Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
Hubert de Vauplane; Gilles Saint Marc; Sophie Perus
Eurazeo Investment Manager
Holding Le Duff
Constructel Constructions & Télécommunications
Eiffel Investment Management
Schelscher Prince Gestion
La Banque Postale Asset Management
Société Islamique pour le Développement du Secteur Privé
Islamic Development Bank
NSIA Banque Côte d’Ivoire
- Advised Eurazeo Investment Manager on the various investments for Novi 2, including in Superga Invest and Edelweiss Industries.
- Advised Bpifrance on various investments via their private debt fund, including in IEF21, BT, Blue Group, Fabulous French Brasseurs and Babcock Wanson.
- Acted for TP ICAP in connection with the €152m financing by Magellan, including a syndicated resolving facility agreement and a bond issuance.
France > Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation Tier 4Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
Marie-Christine Fournier-Gille; Dominique Penin; Guillaume Forbin; Marie Davy
‘Good team, invested and proposes solutions.’
‘Productive discussions with Dominique Penin and his team.’
‘Highly professional team, covers all aspects for multinational and multidivisional clients.’
‘Comprehensive legal and business knowledge, very client orientated, excellent support in finding optimal solution.’
‘Dedicated follow-up on specialised litigation.’
‘Guillaume Forbin and Marie Davy show careful monitoring of the client and the files.’
‘Reactivity and professionalism.’
‘Good responsiveness, stable team, good quality of work.’
Banque Julius Baer
BNP Paribas/BNP ASR
LCL Le Crédit Lyonnais
Crédit du Nord et ses filiales bancaires
Do & Co / Hédiard
Bank of America
- Defending the client in a court action brought by 97 people claiming the bank neglected its Tracfin monitoring and declaring duty regarding a Dom Tom tax exemption company.
- Representing Banque Julius Baer in connection with a liability claim initiated by Vidalo in relation with its alleged failure of duty to warn.
France > Real estate Tier 4Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
‘Renaud Dubois is very competent in real estate law, professional, responsive and pragmatic. His associate Ophélie Boulos is also very professional. The structure of the firm also allows work in synergy with other departments, for all legal questions related to real estate law.’
‘Daniele Darmon is a great professional.’
Poste Immo / La Poste Group
Hediard/Do & Co
AG Real Estate
- Assisted Locaposte (La Poste Group) with the conclusion of a lease in the future state of completion for the construction of an industrial platform for mail processing.
- Assisted AG Real Estate with the corporate and tax considerations for numerous operations for AG Real Estate in France, on the buyer side or on the seller side, including in the context of partnerships.
- Assisted JV EDF/Primonial/la Francaise with the tax aspects of the acquisition of the building used as HQ by Nestlé France in Paris from URW.
France > Tax Tier 4Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP has excellent tax real estate expertise. The stand-alone practice is directly appointed by leading names in the sector to assist with the structuring of large asset and portfolio investment transactions. It notably recently acted on a landmark office acquisition and on the transfer of a large real estate portfolio. The team is also active in other areas, such as private equity transactions. Practice head Pierre Appremont and Paméla Le Jeune are the key contacts.
Pierre Appremont; Paméla Le Jeune
AG Real Estate
Colliers Global Investors France
BNP Paribas Real Estate
Swiss Life Asset Managers France
- Advising AG Real Estate on numerous deals in France.
- Advising LBO France on the setting up of a partnership with Caisse des Dépôts for a real estate operation.
- Advising JV EDF/Primonial/la Francaise on the acquisition of Nestle France’s headquarters’ building.
France > EU, competition and distribution Tier 5Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
‘Very good expertise and follow-up.’
‘Good coordination and communication capabilities.’
‘Very prepared and strongly committed to the every single aspect of the case they are following.’
Groupe Crédit Agricole
Luxottica Group SpA
Financière Immobilière Bordelaise
Infravia Capital Partners
EES – Clemessy
IK Ventes Privées
- Representing Crédit Agricole and its subsidiary in the proceeding relating to the check multilateral interbank fees which resulted in a more than €100m fine.
- Representing LCL in a class action initiated by UFC Que Choisir in connection with insurance coverage in loan agreement.
France > Mergers and acquisitions Tier 5Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
Dana Anagnostou; Alexandre Omaggio; Sébastien Pontillo
‘Sébastien Pontillo and his team provide high-quality, creative, sharp, domestic & cross border support to their clients within very short timelines. Things cannot go wrong with him.’
- Advised Atos in the acquisition of Econocom Digital Security.
- Advised Oodrive in the sale of a majority interest in CertEurope to InfoCert, owned by Tinexta.
- Advised Domidep in the acquisition of the control of Groupe Almage, and their partnership agreement with the founders (family Saillon).
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP > Firm Profile
Kramer Levin provides its clients proactive, creative and pragmatic solutions that address today’s most challenging legal issues. The firm is headquartered in New York with offices in Silicon Valley and Paris and fosters a strong culture of involvement in public and community service. For more information, please visit www.kramerlevin.com.
|Co-Managing Partner||Renaud Duboisfirstname.lastname@example.org||+33144094600|
|Co-Managing Partner||Dana Anagnostouemail@example.com||+33144094600|
|Dana Anagnostou||Dana Anagnostou is co-managing partner of Kramer Levin’s Paris office. Her practice…||View Profile|
|Hugues Bouchetemble||Partner focusing on regulatory banking and financial transactions, and assists banks, investment…||View Profile|
|Ophélie Boulos||Associate primarily handling real estate and construction law. She focuses on both…||View Profile|
|Danièle Darmon||Partner advising and representing clients, including investment funds, asset managers, insurance companies…||View Profile|
|Marie Davy||Partner handling commercial, industrial, corporate and liability litigation, representing French and foreign…||View Profile|
|Hubert De Vauplane||Hubert de Vauplane is in charge of Fintech practice in the Paris…||View Profile|
|Renaud Dubois||Renaud Dubois is co-managing partner of Kramer Levin’s Paris office. He advises…||View Profile|
|Guillaume Forbin||Partner handling commercial, industrial and criminal litigation, as well as the contractual…||View Profile|
|Marie-Christine Fournier-Gille||Partner who focuses on business law, representing clients, in particular banking institutions,…||View Profile|
|Alexandre Omaggio||Alexandre Omaggio is partner. He practices in mergers and acquisitions, private equity,…||View Profile|
|Dominique Penin||Partner focuseing on business law and handles cases involving banking, bankruptcy and…||View Profile|
|Sophie Perus||Partner advising lenders (banks, private debt funds and alternative debt providers), as…||View Profile|
|Marco Plankensteiner||Partner specialising in EU and French competition law, assisting in antitrust investigations,…||View Profile|
|Sébastien Pontillo||Partner advising private equity funds and investors on leveraged buyouts, development capital…||View Profile|
|Gilles Saint Marc||Gilles Saint Marc is partner. He co-leads the Alternative Investment Management practice…||View Profile|
France: Competition Litigation
Published: July 2022
Authors: Marco Plankensteiner Mathilde Vergnaud Pauline Dessèvre Alice Mollot
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Competition Litigation laws and regulations that may occur in France.
Published: November 2022
Authors: Hubert de Vauplane Morgane Fournel Reicher
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Blockchain laws and regulations that may occur in France.
- Banking and finance: Bank regulatory
- Dispute resolution: Stock market litigation