Matthew Rogers > CANDEY > London, England > Lawyer Profile
8 STONE BUILDINGS
- Go to...
Matthew is a barrister at CANDEY working across all of the firm’s practice areas, in particular commercial litigation and arbitration, company and shareholder disputes, insolvency, civil fraud and professional negligence. He has experience in High Court litigation, appeals to the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, international arbitration, and disputes involving cross-border elements (including the Caribbean, CIS territories, the Middle East and Africa).
Recent work includes:
- Successfully appearing as sole counsel in a High Court trial against a former top 20 Times Rich List businessman concerning unpaid sums under multi-million pound loan agreements.
- Successfully appearing as sole counsel in the Commercial Court in a claim to enforce a multi-million dollar foreign judgment debt by way of a third party debt order against a publicly listed FTSE 250 company.
- Part of the CANDEY team in relation to a circa $70 million LCIA Arbitration in the oil & gas sector.
- Junior counsel in relation to an unfair prejudice petition in the Insolvency and Companies List.
- Junior counsel in relation to a s. 423 Insolvency Act claim.
- Sole counsel in relation to a High Court chancery appeal.
- Sole and junior counsel respectively in relation to 7-figure professional negligence claims.
Matthew studied undergraduate and master’s degrees in Law at St John’s College, Cambridge. During his time as an undergraduate, he was awarded a James William Squire Scholarship and a Wright Prize (after receiving a First ranking 8th in the year). His master’s (First Class) specialised in Commercial Law.
He is a Lord Denning Scholar of Lincoln’s Inn and was awarded Outstanding on the Bar Professional Training Course at City Law School.
Matthew is called to the Bar of England and Wales (Lincoln’s Inn, 2019) and is a member of the Chancery Bar Association.