Sam Claydon > CANDEY > London, England > Lawyer Profile
8 STONE BUILDINGS
- Go to...
Sam has a broad litigation and arbitration practice with a particular focus on financial services and banking disputes. Over his career, Sam has acted for both individuals and corporates, including large global banks, entrepreneurs and both small and large corporates in a variety of industries. In addition, Sam has also acted on substantial group litigation and has experience of working on claims funded by third parties.
Sam’s clients praise his user-friendly and commercial approach, and his willingness to explore alternative dispute resolution in any situation.
Sam’s most recent work includes:
- Acting for an international businessman in relation to the breakdown of a joint venture concerning a substantial real estate portfolio in Moscow.
- Acting on two High Court shareholder claims for large groups of institutional current and former shareholders against Serco Group Plc and G4S Limited (formerly G4S Plc) arising from the Deferred Prosecution Agreements entered into by both companies following long-running SFO investigations into their prisoner monitoring and tagging contracts with the Ministry of Justice;
- Acting for Natwest (formerly the Royal Bank of Scotland) in successfully defending the first civil LIBOR claim to be taken to trial both at first instance and at the Court of Appeal;
- Acting for a Cayman-based private equity fund adversely affected by the collapse of the Abraaj Group. This work involved a substantial contested interlocutory application brought by the fund for access to its own books and records as a result of alleged failings by the former Abraaj manager in its record-keeping and segregation of the funds under its management, in addition to advising on other potential claims of the fund;
- Acting in an LCIA arbitration for a lending bank against a foreign borrower that had failed to satisfy its payment obligations under a substantial loan facility allegedly as a result of the conflict in Eastern Ukraine; and
- Acting in an LCIA arbitration for a large foreign SOE seeking to recover amounts under an indemnity relating to its historic purchase of oil and gas assets in various African territories.
English, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese
Sam studied Modern Languages and Linguistics at the University of Cambridge and graduated with a first-class degree.
He trained and qualified at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP