Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners > Tokyo, Japan > Firm Profile
Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners Offices
Kishimoto Building 2F
2-2-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku
- Go to...
- Firm Profile
- Main Contacts
- Lawyer Profiles
- Press Releases
- Legal Developments
- Comparative Guides
Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners > The Legal 500 RankingsOh-Ebashi LPC & Partners antitrust and competition practice is particularly strong in the areas of merger control and JFTC investigations, as well as providing expertise in competition/consumer protection litigation and compliance issues. The team is co-led by Takashi Ishii, Kagenori Sako and Tetsuya Nagasawa; the latter of whom successfully acted for Maxvalu Nishinihon Co in a matter against the JFTC related to a suspicion of abuse of superior bargaining position.
Takashi Ishii; Kagenori Sako; Tetsuya Nagasawa
Maxvalu Nishinihon Co., Ltd.
Secoma Company, Ltd.
- Successfully acted for Maxvalu Nishinihon in relation to a cease and desist order and the surcharge payment order from the JFTC on suspicion of having abused superior bargaining position.
- Represented Secoma Company in a suit filed by Saikawa against them for damages.
Sony Financial Holdings Inc. No
Shionogi & Co., Ltd. No
Air Water Inc No
Rengo Co., Ltd. No
Mitsui & Co., Ltd. No
Sumitomo Corporation No
J-STAR Co., Ltd
- Advised on a full buyout of Sony Financial Holdings (SFH) by Sony.
- Advised Shionogi & Co., Ltd. on an agreement to acquire the remaining 50% stake in Tetra Therapeutics Inc., the US-based company which is into chemical design of inhibitors of phosphodiesterase (PDE) enzymes, for a maximum consideration of USD 500m based on the achievement of certain predetermined regulatory and commercial milestones.
- Advised AIR WATER INC., who sold its coke oven gas refining business to Nippon Steel Corporation.
Japan Drilling Co., Ltd. and Japan Drilling (Netherlands) B.V.
Micron Memory Japan, Inc.
Rakuten General Insurance Co., Ltd.(“Rakuten Insurance”)
A foreign creditor of Mt. Gox
WBF Hotels & Resorts Co., Ltd. , WBF Holdings Co., Ltd. and White Bear Family Co., Ltd.
WATABE WEDDING CORPORATION
Kyokuto Electric Co., Ltd
Mitake Country Club Co., Ltd.
AIproject Company Limited
T&P Co., Ltd.
Meijo Gakuin Educational Corporation
Tokiwa Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- Acting as attorneys for petitions and appointed by the Tokyo District Court as deputy trustees of Japan Drilling Co., Ltd. (JDC) and Japan Drilling (Netherlands) B.V. (JDN) when the commencement order was issued. Petitions were filed by the client for commencement of corporate reorganization proceedings with the Tokyo District Court.
- Represented Elpida for filing of the petition and the Tokyo District Court appointed deputy trustees of Elpida in its reorganization case which was the largest ever for a Japanese manufacturer, with total liabilities of 448 billion yen.
- Represent Rakuten Insurance because Rakuten Insurance had provided insurance coverage to the local public offices that ordered construction of the public facilities to M-tec, who filed for civil rehabilitation in October 2018, and went into liquidation proceedings in November 2018.
Japan Display Inc.
Sumitomo Precision Products Co., Ltd.
Toyo Tire Corporation
Daiwa House Industry Co., Ltd.
- Advised the Japan Display Inc. (“JDI”), who commissioned a third-party committee (the “Committee”) to investigate the possibility of an improper accounting treatment in its previous fiscal year.
- As part of a special investigation committee, the firm conducted an investigation of overcharging by Sumitomo Precision Products Co., Ltd., who has been manufacturing and delivering landing gear control systems for airplanes directly or indirectly to the Ministry of Defense for many years.
- On behalf of Toyo Tire, the firm negotiated with the general contractors who bought company’s bearings, the developers who built and sold those buildings that installed such bearings, and the residents who own and are occupying those buildings that installed such bearings.
‘I often ask Tomohiro Murakami. He can respond kindly and politely. We get an explanation of the risks we are unaware of. He will also tell you how to deal with that risk.’
Daiwa Lease Co., Ltd.
Joyo Bank, Ltd.
MUFG Bank, Ltd.
Shindengen Electric Manufacturing Co., Ltd
- Advised Yasu Swim8 Next-PFI Kabushiki Kaish, the borrower, on the financing of a PFI project in Yasu City, Shiga Prefecture involving facilities that utilize residual heat.
- Advised Tottori Prefectural Museum Partners Kabushiki Kaisha, the borrower and the sponsor consortium on the financing of a PFI project involving the Tottori Prefectural Museum.
- Advised Shindengen Electric Manufacturing Co., Ltd., the borrower on a corporate green loan of 10 billion yen for the construction of a new business facility.
International Bar Association
Daiwa Lease Co., Ltd.
- Advised Yasu Swim8 Next-PFI Kabushiki Kaisha, (the borrower) Daiwa Lease Co., Ltd. (the representative of the consortium and the parent company of the borrower) on the financing of a PFI project in Yasu City, Shiga Prefecture involving facilities that utilize residual heat.
- Advised Tottori Prefectural Museum Partners Kabushiki Kaisha (the project company) Daiwa Lease Co., Ltd. (the representative of the consortium and the parent company of the project company) on a PFI project involving the Tottori Prefectural Museu.
- Advised Kin Shachi Nagoya Horse-Race Track PFI Kabushiki Kaisha (the project company) Daiwa Lease Co., Ltd. (the representative of consortium and the parent company of the project company) on a PFI project involving the Nagoya Horse-Race Track.
Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners > Firm Profile
Managing Partner: Mr. Shiro Kuniya
Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners (“Oh-Ebashi”) is a full service law firm with over 160 attorneys, and with its main offices in Tokyo and Osaka. It was originally established in Osaka in 1981, and now has an equivalently- sized operation in Tokyo. Oh-Ebashi was the first Japanese law firm to open an office in China. Together with its Nagoya Office, Oh-Ebashi currently has offices in four locations. Oh-Ebashi has been providing its clients with the best legal advice and solutions for decades, and is committed to consistently exceed the clients’ expectations and be their ideal legal partner.
Main Areas of Practice:
Oh-Ebashi is capable of handling M&As, joint ventures, corporate reorganisations and business alliances under any transaction structure, and also capable of handling intra-group reorganisations, capital and business alliances, Management Buy- Outs, acquisitions of publicly-traded companies through tender offers and going-private transactions. Oh-Ebashi has extensive experience in cross-border M&A projects including outbound investments conducted by Japanese companies and inbound deals brought by foreign entities. It offers comprehensive legal support, including advising on emergency strategies with respect to corporate control battles and defensive measures against hostile takeovers and counteroffers thereto, as well as handling M&A related lawsuits and other disputes.
Oh-Ebashi’s team, consisting of lawyers with expertise in M&A and finance practice, as well as business restructuring, provides professional support to clients in various capacities, including debtors, sponsor candidates, lenders and business partners.
Oh-Ebashi offers general consultation and advice concerning banking, securities, insurance and other financial businesses, including new financial products. With its extensive experience in project finance, securitisation and derivatives, Oh-Ebashi is able to assist in financial planning and schemes.
Oh-Ebashi strategically supports its clients from planning/executing contracts to filing or defending against lawsuits. It also assists in drafting and negotiating contracts relating to licensing of copyrights, trademarks, patents, know-how and other intellectual property rights. Oh-Ebashi has extensive experience in handling many types of transactions, both internationally and domestically, in various fields of business. It has extensive experience not only in handling large-scale disputes, but small to medium-scale disputes as well.
Oh-Ebashi has been providing legal services to Japanese and foreign pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, bio ventures, research institutions such as universities, hospitals and various other clients for many years. It has handled a number of domestic and cross-border transactions involving leading-edge technology such as iPS cells and antibody drugs. Oh-Ebashi also has attorneys who were members of research ethics review committees. It can therefore adequately address not only intellectual property issues but also the latest issues facing this industry, including issues concerning statutory regulations and ethical requirements of regenerative medicine, genetic medicine and bio technology, as well as the handling of data and personal information.
Oh-Ebashi is experienced in litigation and arbitration cases in both Japan and abroad, ranging from anti-trust, corporate, product liability, intellectual property, administrative and tax cases, to general civil, labour and commercial cases. It handles crossborder arbitration cases before various local and international organisations for alternative dispute resolution, such as the AAA, ICC, JCAA, CIETAC, HKIAC, SIAC and LCIA.
Competition & Antitrust/Consumer Protection:
To meet the increasingly active enforcement of antitrust law both in Japan and overseas, companies must be well prepared and equipped to comply with antitrust laws. Oh-Ebashi’s antitrust law practice group consists of members with experience working at the Japan Fair Trade Commission as well as studying law overseas, including the US and Europe, enabling it to provide highly-specialised and premium advice to its clients concerning a wide range of areas of antitrust law.
Oh-Ebashi provides highly specialized legal services on complex tax disputes, making use of its abundant expertise and experience in handling cases involving a broad range of areas under tax law for clients in various business fields in Japan and abroad.
Oh-Ebashi has always been very active in Chinarelated transactions and dispute resolutions. Oh- Ebashi handles all types of matters such as trades, alliances/business ventures, disputes with Chinese companies, inbound/outbound investments, intellectual property protection, management or litigation, assessment/establishment of internal control systems and business restructuring or liquidation. In addition to China-related matters, Oh-Ebashi also has lawyers who are qualified to practice in Hong Kong, the Philippines and Thailand, and has several lawyers with substantial legal experience of practicing in various jurisdictions in Southeast Asia.
|ANTITRUST AND COMPETITION||Tetsuya Nagasawa|
|ANTITRUST AND COMPETITION||Takashi Ishii|
|ANTITRUST AND COMPETITION||Kagenori Sako|
|CORPORATE AND M&A, RISK MANAGEMENT AND INVESTIGATIONS||Norihiro Sekiguchi|
|CORPORATE AND M&A||Seigo Takehira|
|RESTRUCTURING AND INSOLVENCY||Takayuki Maruyama|
|RESTRUCTURING AND INSOLVENCY||Naoki Kondo|
|RESTRUCTURING AND INSOLVENCY||Tomohiro Kitano|
|RISK MANAGEMENT AND INVESTIGATIONS||Ko Matsui|
|RISK MANAGEMENT AND INVESTIGATIONS||Shingo Yamada|
|BANKING AND FINANCE, PROJECTS AND ENERGY||Tomohiro Murakami|
|INTELLECTUALROP PERTY||Takamitsu Shigetomi|
|INTELLECTUALROP PERTY||Toshiya Furusho|
|INTELLECTUALROP PERTY||Takashi Hirose|
|LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT||Daisuke Mure|
|DISPUTE RESOLUTION||Teppei Mogi|
|INVESTMENT FUNDS||Takuyuki Sakurai|
|Toshiya Furusho||Toshiya Furusho is a partner of Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners. His practice…||View Profile|
|Takashi Hirose||Takashi Hirose is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group of…||View Profile|
|Takashi Ishii||Takashi Ishii is a partner in Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners. His practice…||View Profile|
|Tomohiro Kitano||Tomohiro Kitano is the firm’s partner in charge of Bankruptcy and Restructuring…||View Profile|
|Naoki Kondo||Naoki Kondo is the firm’s partner in charge of Bankruptcy and Restructuring…||View Profile|
|Shiro Kuniya||Shiro Kuniya is a managing partner of Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners. He…||View Profile|
|Takayuki Maruyama||Takayuki Maruyama is a partner in Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners. His practice…||View Profile|
|Ko Matsui||Ko Matsui is a partner at Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners with a…||View Profile|
|Mr Teppei Mogi||Teppei Mogi is the firm’s partner in charge of international business law…||View Profile|
|Tomohiro Murakami||Tomohiro Murakami is a partner who is in charge of both Banking…||View Profile|
|Daisuke Mure||Daisuke Mure has an expertise in complicated and wide-ranging employment laws and…||View Profile|
|Mr Tetsuya Nagasawa||Tetsuya Nagasawa has been highly acclaimed for his work by Who’s Who…||View Profile|
|Yuichi Oda||Yuichi Oda is a partner in the Competition and Antitrust/Consumer Protection practice…||View Profile|
|Kagenori Sako||Kagenori Sako is a partner in Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners. His practice…||View Profile|
|Takuyuki Sakurai||Takuyuki Sakurai is a partner in Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners. His practice…||View Profile|
|Mr Norihiro Sekiguchi||Norihiro Sekiguchi is highly active advising on cross-border and domestic matters. His recent…||View Profile|
|Mr Takamitsu Shigetomi||Takamitsu Shigetomi is a partner who is in charge of Intellectual Property…||View Profile|
|Seigo Takehira||Seigo Takehira is a leading partner in the Corporate and Mergers and…||View Profile|
|Shingo Yamada||Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners handles numerous corporate criminal cases, and Shingo Yamada…||View Profile|
|Kosuke Yoshimura||Kosuke Yoshimura is a partner in Oh-Ebashi LPC & Partners. His practice…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : over 160
LanguagesJapanese English Chinese Filipino Thai
Press Releases8th July 2022
A. IntroductionToday, the importance of information as an asset is increasing due to the evolution of digital network technology and its widespread use in business. The increase in the number of work-from-home situations triggered by the pandemic has also made the value of information for individuals even greater. In particular, among the different types of information, the group of data known as “big data” is becoming a source of value for companies given the remarkable development of IoT, the means of collecting data, and AI, which analyzes and utilizes such data.
8th July 2022
A. IntroductionOver 130 countries across the world have merger control regulations. A majority of them have introduced the European Union’s model system where a filing is required if a change in the “control” of a target company will occur. However, the Japanese merger control regulations do not use the concept of “control” as the threshold for the filing requirement. Filing is mandatory in certain types of transactions if they meet certain thresholds. This article will provide an overview of the merger control regulations in Japan.
Legal Developments7th April 2022 Many countries regulate the sale of insurance products by foreign insurance companies to their residents and citizens. Japan has similar regulations. This article will provide an overview of the laws and regulations governing the sale of insurance products to residents and citizens in Japan by foreign insurance companies without an insurance business license.
7th April 2022
A. IntroductionIn recent years, the number of cases of hostile takeovers has increased in Japan, and more and more listed companies are trying to introduce, maintain or renew hostile takeover defense measures. Since the spring of 2021, important court decisions have been made on such hostile takeover defense measures, and this article discusses the latest trends in these court decisions.
Japan: Merger Control
Published: October 2021
Authors: Yuichi Oda Kosuke Yoshimura
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Merger Control laws and regulations that may occur in Japan.
Published: April 2022
Authors: Kagenori Sako Yuichi Oda Kosuke Yoshimura
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Cartels laws and regulations that may occur in Japan.
- Antitrust and competition: Independent local firms
- Corporate and M&A: Independent local firms
- Restructuring and insolvency: Independent local firms
- Risk management and investigations: Independent local firms
- Banking and finance: Independent local firms
- Intellectual property: Independent local firms
- Labour and employment: Independent local firms
- Projects and energy: Independent local firms
- Investment funds: Independent local firms