Deacons > Hong Kong, Hong Kong > Firm Profile
5TH FLOOR, ALEXANDRA HOUSE
18 CHATER ROAD, CENTRAL
Deacons > The Legal 500 Rankings
Hong Kong firm Deacons has a well-established track record in the local market and it handles contentious and non-contentious IP work for large international corporates, as well as domestic clients. Its in-house patent prosecution team includes patent attorneys who are qualified in Europe, the UK, Australia and China; they work closely with IP litigation lawyers to provide advice on cross-border infringement and enforcement matters. Annie Tsoi, who is dual-qualified in Hong Kong and England & Wales, jointly leads the team with Charmaine Koo, who has recently acted as lead partner in a number of litigated disputes. Koo also handles commercial IP work, including cybersecurity and data privacy. Patsy Lau is recommended for advice on the protection of large international trade mark portfolios. Jeffrey McLean utilises his technical background to assist with the technical and patent aspects of contentious matters. In October 2020, Benjamin Choi left for Oldham, Li & Nie.
‘The attorneys have a very good working relationship with the clients.’
‘We’ve found the outcome of patent prosecution has been greatly improved since we started using Deacons.’
‘Jeffrey Maclean is a great guy to work with, he’s very knowledgeable about Chinese law and we find him very easy to interact with.’
‘Jeffrey Maclean is keen to understand the technology and help us get the best patent protection possible.’
‘The team has very diverse expertise and knowledge.’
‘The lawyers are also able to provide useful advice on our specific business needs, exploring different options to address the risks and needs.’
‘They are very personal and responsive to your enquiries.’
‘The team members are professional, efficient and can be trusted to carry out their work well.’
Chow Tai Fook
Lan Kwai Fong Group
Ping An Group
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
4M Industrial Development Limited
- Successfully represented Google in an appeal against the Privacy Commissioner in Hong Kong regarding “Right to be Forgotten” (“RTBF”).
- Acting for Alibaba in proceedings commenced in Hong Kong by cosmetics supplier Mary Kay against three Alibaba companies
- Acting for the Ping An Insurance group of companies in court actions, including as a plaintiff in a court action for passing off against a company listed in Hong Kong which changed its name to a very similar company name and stock short name; and as a defendant in relation to an earlier court action instigated by the same Hong Kong listed company accusing it of trade mark infringement of its Chinese and English characters and passing off.
Hong Kong > Investment funds Tier 1A mainstay of the local market, independent heavyweight firm Deacons is a popular choice among regional and international asset managers across a range of structuring, regulatory and ongoing operational work. Although it does handle some alternative funds matters, the team’s undoubted sweet-spot lies in the retail space and in this context it is ‘unmatched in its ability‘ to achieve the necessary regulatory authorisation, including in relation to Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) authorised Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) funds. ‘Helpful and client-friendly’ team head Jeremy Lam oversees a vast array of retail funds offered in the Hong Kong market and is also appreciated for his ability to coalesce his legal and regulatory knowledge to good effect. Taylor Hui leads the China team and benefits from many years’ experience advising PRC fund managers on fund establishment in Hong Kong and on bringing RMB investment products into the Hong Kong market. ‘Familiar with all the latest trends’, Ming Chiu Li is also focused on China-related mandates particularly on bringing innovative fund products to the market.
Other key lawyers:
‘Not only do they know the funds area well, they are on top of the latest regulatory requirements and issues. They are also very familiar with the regulators, their requirements, expectations and how they work, likewise Deacons is well regarded by the regulators.’
‘They are responsive, practical, commercial and the quality of their work, from the juniors to the partners, is almost faultless. I would rely on their advice which is typically balanced and thoughtful.’
‘Deacons has a very experienced investment funds team and they have a wealth of history and knowledge in the area.’
‘Alwyn Li is very familiar with the regulatory environment and understands risks involved.’
‘Ming Chiu Li is accessible, commercial, familiar with all latest trends and very down-to-earth.’
‘Jeremy Lam and Joyce Li give very practical legal advice and are always extremely helpful and client friendly.’
First Sentier Investors
Invesco Hong Kong Limited
Janus Henderson Management S.A.
Manulife Investment Management
Principal Global Investors
Schroder Investment Management
St. James’s Place
- Assisted the Hong Kong arm of a global investment bank to establish, register and launchthe first private umbrella OFC in Hong Kong.
- Advised CSOP on the debut of the first ETFs established under the Hong Kong-Mainland cross-listing scheme.
- Advised BEA Union Investment Management on setting up the first unlisted public SFC-authorised OFC in HongKong.
‘Deacons employment team is resourceful, responsive and practical. They are reputable in the employment field with lots of experience handling a wide range of employment related cases. They are able to provide valuable insights, current market practice and practical solutions for different employment issues.’
‘Elsie Chan is the partner I go to for HK employee law issues. She is readily contactable, responds quickly to the point with practical solutions. She is knowledgeable both in terms of the laws and the market practice.’
‘Deacons’ labour and employment practice provides very good and practical advice on the full spectrum of employment-related matters.The team is always helpful and responsive.’
‘Cynthia Chung is very quick thinking and strives to provide sensible solutions to problems which often go beyond pure legal advice.‘
‘Deacons has a strong reputation and long history in HK. Their knowledge is well spread in multiple industries and they are able to react to new legal problems/issues well by closely connecting their partners’ experience and knowledge together to serve a client in a holistic way.’
‘We highly recommend Elsie Chan. We have worked with her for years and she never disappoints us. Knowledgeble, abreast with the latest legal position and market trends. She solves problems and never over works matters. She has very strong bargaining power and represent us in many disputes and negotiations.’
‘Deep industry experience and strong commercial acumen.’
‘The team has in-depth knowledge of the ever-revolving nature of labour and employment law, in particular, the challenges and opportunities brought about by the pandemic.’
Mass Transit Railway Corporation (MTR)
Jardine Matheson Holdings Limited
Schroder Investment Management (Hong Kong) Limited
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
The Polytechnic University of Hong Kong
Maxim’s Caterers Limited
- Advised a food, beverage and restaurant chain that owns over 1,000 outlets in Hong Kong, China, Cambodia and Vietnam on managing out staff, reducing staff salary and imposing no-pay leave arrangements when business was substantially affected by COVID-19.
- Acted for two senior executives of a fund management company in making various claims at the Labour Tribunal, including unlawful dismissal, wrongful termination and non-payment of wages.
- Advised an international luxury brand in relation to an injunction sought against a high level executive to be employed by client under a restrictive covenant with a previous employer.
Hong Kong > Real estate Tier 1Deacons‘ real estate team, which is ‘well-established as a market-leader’, is experienced in the gamut of transactional work relating to residential, commercial and industrial matters. It also handles landlord and tenant work and corporate real estate mandates. Elsewhere, much of the firm’s development work is led by practice head Lilian Chiang, who ‘possesses unrivalled knowledge, experience and insight in the every aspect of real estate law’. In addition to being noted for her transactional expertise, Chiang is also at the vanguard of legislative changes in the sector, as was demonstrated by her recent appointment to sit on the steering committee representing the legal sector to help to change/simplify the land system. The roster of clients includes a raft of major domestic developers, including MTR Corporation, which the group is advising on several major residential development projects.
‘The team is able to provide practical advice and insight at an affordable rate.‘
‘It is well established as a leader in the market in the field of real estate.’
‘Lilian Chang is arguably the best in the business when it comes to real estate matters, who possesses unrivaled knowledge, experience and insight in the every aspect of real estate law.’
Wheelock Properties (Hong Kong) Limited
Urban Renewal Authority
Gold Topmont Limited
Loyal Pioneer Limited
First Group Holdings Limited
Road King Infrastructure Limited
Mapletree Investments Pte. Ltd.
Hang Seng Bank Limited
Asia Art Archive Limited
- Advising MTR Corporation on several on-going residential development projects in LOHAS Park, Wong Chuk Hang Station, and Homantin Station.
- Advising an international real estate, investment, and property management company headquartered in Singapore in a RMB3bn acquisition of a 50% stake of 15 existing joint ventures and 100% interest in 6 logistic assets located in PRC from Mapletree entities in Hong Kong.
- Advising First Group in the HK$1.5bn acquisition of two properties in Kowloon which will be demolished and redeveloped into new industrial and commercial buildings.
Hong Kong > Regulatory Tier 2Deacons is noted for its deep knowledge of financial services and banking regulation – a field in which it is increasingly assisting corporate entities setting up in Mainland China. Another primary area of focus is SFC licensing and compliance for financial firms and a wide variety of other financial sector clients. Singled out for his ‘good logical thinking in assessing each situation’, litigation and dispute resolution practice head Joseph Kwan leads the group alongside financial services department lead Jeremy Lam and finance and insolvency practice head Philip Gilligan. Jane McBride retired at the end of 2020.
‘Sharon Pang is conscientious and very attentive to details‘.
The Commercial Press (Hong Kong) Limited; Sino UnitedPublishing (Holdings) Limited
Meyer Aluminium Limited
- Advising The Commercial Press (Hong Kong) Limited; Sino United Publishing (Holdings)Limited on HKSAR Competition Tribunal Enforcement Action between the Hong Kong Competition Commission (“HKCC”) and T.H. LeeBook Company Limited (“T.H. Lee”), The Commercial Press (Hong Kong) Limited (“CommercialPress”), Sino United Publishing (Holdings) Limited (“Sino United”), and Mr. Hui Chiu Ming.
- Advising Meyer Aluminium Limited on two related matters of the Hong Kong SAR Competition Tribunal Action between Meyer Aluminium Limited and Taching Petroleum Company Limited, and Meyer and Shell HongKong Limited, respectively.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have been working with Deacons regarding various debt issues for many years and their professional services and knowledge including market practice are exceptional and at high quality at all times. Their team is outstanding and impressive in dealing with the specific requirements of the regulators’.
‘The team is very responsive and knowledgeable about DCM matters.’
‘The team is very knowledgeable and experienced in helping Chinese clients raising offshore debts.’
‘The team has strong professional skills, rich experience in the Chinese dollar bond market, and very good communication skills.’
‘Kevin Tong is very efficient, client-oriented and is able to suggest practical solutions to resolve the complex legal and regulatory issues as well as to fulfill the regulatory requirements of the HKMA.’
‘Kevin Tong is an experienced partner in the DCM space and has always been client-centric and approachable. He provides timely legal advice and ensures transactions are executed in accordance with the industry standards.’
AVIC International Leasing Co., Ltd.
Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited
Bank of Communications Co.
Guangzhou Metro Group Co.
Shandong Iron & Steel Group Co.
The Bank of East Asia The Wharf (Holdings) Limited
Wharf Real Estate Investment Company Limited
Wheelock and Company Limited
Xi’an Municipal Infrastructure Construction Investment Group Corporation
- Advised Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited as the issuing and lodging agent as to Hong Kong law on the RMB bill issuances by The People’s Bank of China in Hong Kong from February to December 2020, totalling RMB155bn.
- Advised Bank of Communications Co. as the issuing and lodging agent on the Sovereign Bonds issuances by the Ministry of Finance of the PRC in Hong Kong in July, September and November 2020, totalling RMB15bn.
- Advised The Wharf (Holdings) Limited as issuer on the annual update of the $7bn Medium Term Note Programme.
‘Deacons’ capital markets team is well known in the market for decades, particularly acting for Hong Kong sponsors.’
‘Deacons is one the leading law firms in providing legal services for IPO in Hong Kong. They have a strong team of experience lawyers in handling IPOs of various sectors.‘
‘Ronny Chow has an acute and professional judgement in analyzing complex legal issues.’
‘Ronny Chow is experienced and has a good commercial sense.’
‘Canny Lau is diligent and responsible.’
BNP Paribas Securities (Asia) Limited
BOCOM International (Asia) Limited
CMB International Capital Limited
Dongxing Securities (Hong Kong) Company Limited
Guotai Junan Capital Limited
Haitong International Capital Limited
Halcyon Capital Limited
ICBC International Capital Limited
Lego Corporate Finance Limited
South China Capital Limited
- Advised Viva China Holdings on its HK$3.8bn placing of shares of Li Ning Company Limited.
- Advised the joint sponsors Haitong International Capital Limited and CMB International Capital Limited and underwriters in relation to HK$3.4bn Main Board IPO of Excellence Commercial Property & Facilities Management Group Limited.
- Advised the underwriter, Haitong International Securities Company, in relation to the HK$2.72bn rights issue by Kaisa Group Holdings.
Hong Kong > Construction Tier 3
Led by the 'highly focused and efficient' Kwok Kit Cheung, Deacons' team has a particularly strong reputation for successfully resolving construction disputes for private sector entities through the use of ADR. Its work includes matters concerning defects and delays, late/non-payments and extensions of time. Joseph Chung is 'not only a very knowledgeable lawyer, but also a highly experienced construction disputes litigator'. The firm also advises on competition law issues impacting the industry, and is able to provide particularly effective and commercial advice by leveraging the expertise of in-house economist Sharon Pang.
‘In addition to their excellent professional legal knowledge, the key members of the team are also very experienced and familiar with the construction industry.’
‘Expert in legal and construction field, provide timely and effective opinions.’
‘The advice is precise and practical.‘
‘KK Cheung is knowledgeable and his advice is always thorough, practical and helpful.’
‘KK Cheung is an outstanding litigator; he is highly focused and efficient.’
‘Joseph Chung is one of the top construction lawyers in Hong Kong. He is not only a very knowledgeable lawyer but also a highly experienced construction disputes litigator.’
‘Justin Yuen is proactive and responsive.’
Ching Lee Engineering
Gold Brilliant Investment
Kwan On Construction Co
Cheung Hing Construction Co Ltd
KML Engineering Ltd
- Represented Ching Lee and its employee in a major industrial summons (widely reportedin the press) for alleged violation of the Buildings Ordinance and involving injury to a pedestrian, in a 27-day trial and appeals all the way up to the Court of Final Appeal.
- Advising Kwan On Construction Co Ltd on the administration of various substantial projects involving the use of NEC contracts and on the preparation of tenders involving use of Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Modular Integrated Construction (MiC).
- Acting for Kwan On and its subsidiary in two High Court actions in which they claim over HK$50m from their sub-contractors in relation to landslip preventative works under the Landslip Prevention and Mitigation Programme 2017 Main Contract between Kwan On and the HKSAR Government.
Ronny Chow; Machiuanna Chu
‘The teams are experienced, resourceful, and with the flexibility and creativity we need to solve our issues. They are always responsive, whatever the time and the requests.’
‘Extremely knowledgeable as to current market practice, specifically within the real estate industry. Creative and innovative in terms of coming up with solutions in extremely difficult situations.’
‘Deacons is able to advise on the various aspects of the M&A transactions in the various sectors, including structuring, potential risks on the execution front, dealing with the relevant regulatory authorities both locally and internationally, pre-completion restructuring, and post-transaction integration issues. Besides the execution process and agreement drafting/ negotiation, they are able to advise on other issues such as HR, taxation, antitrust, insurance etc. which are equally important in an M&A transaction; and the partners/ lawyers we have dealt with are very responsible and professional‘.
‘Deacons’ team is very professional with solid experience in different aspects of corporate finance practice. They are knowledgeable and helpful as well. They charge clients at reasonable fees.’
‘The whole team is very experienced and commercial, as well as very responsive and helpful in addressing our needs. Even though different people may handle different aspects of our needs, you feel that they have been fully briefed on our preference/style. The fees are very reasonable.’
‘Ronny Chow is trustworthy and the to-go person for legal advice.’
‘Rhoda Yung is a leading practitioner. She is both commercial and practical, financially and numbers orientated. And a pleasure to work with her.’
‘Ronny Chow is very knowledgeable, thoughtful and effective in addressing our needs. His response time is always very impressive and always there to go the extra mile to assist.’
Chuang’s Consortium International Limited
Kerry Logistics Network Limited
Lai Sun group, including Lai Sun Garment (International) Limited, Lai Sun Development Company Limited, eSun Holdings Limited and Lai Fung Holdings Limited
Luen Thai Holdings Limited
Shimao Property Holdings Limited
The Wharf (Holdings) Limited
Viva China Holdings Limited
Wharf Real Estate Investment Company Limited
Wheelock and Company Limited
- Advising Kerry Logistics Network Limited on its HK$13.5bn disposal.
- Advised The Cross-Harbour (Holdings) Limited and Rose Dynamics Limited (as offeror) on the voluntary conditional general cash offer to acquire all the issued shares of The Cross-Harbour (Holdings) Limited at approximately HK$4.029bn.
- Advised BOCI Asia Limited on the privatisation of Polytec Asset Holdings Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement at approximately HK$3.074bn.
‘Mr Joseph Chung is a bright and outstanding solicitor who is pro-active and always provide sound advices when legal issues crop up. He is the one among a few solicitors I would recommend to my clients.‘
‘Good service. Prompt in their dealings. I like their quick responses / advice which told me answers/conclusions. I came across members in other firms that gave advice telling what would happen by going left and what would happen by going right without giving a conclusion on what to do, and that might mix up comments and advice (what clients needed would be advice, not comments).’
‘Deacons is a good reputable law firm and I have been working with them since 2005 and their service is regarded to be one of the best law firms in HK.‘
‘Good large local team, with a good practice in international arbitration that touches Hong Kong.’
- Acting for a global investment company in a $200m arbitration concerning the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the performance of a contract.
- Representing a number of Hong Kong companies in obtaining interim relief in aid of overseas arbitration proceedings, involving $multi-billion.
- Acting for a PRC-listed company and its subsidiary in a HK$300m construction arbitration involving an overseas hotel.
Clients appreciate the ‘attention-to-detail’ and ‘strategic thinking’ on offer at Deacons, which handles shareholder or matrimonial disputes, as well as others relating to professional indemnity and, in one instance, the management rights of professional snooker player Marco Fu. Practice head Joseph Kwan and Paul Kwan regularly act in high-profile litigation for listed companies and government entities; KK Cheung is praised for his ‘skilful execution’ on construction-related mandates, while Carmen Ng and associate Michelle Li are also highly active. Sherlynn Gaye Chan arrived from Stevenson, Wong & Co following Robert Clark‘s departure in March 2021.
‘Deacons is a reputable dispute resolution firm in Hong Kong. It has a wealth of talents covering many different areas of practice. The teams with whom I have worked are very dedicated to their jobs and are able to produce works of very good quality.’
‘Both Richard Hudson and Judy Wu are very responsible and immensely sensible in handling our case.’
‘A stellar team with highly specialist advice and cost-efficient. Quality legal advice minus the haughty lawyers’ proviso’s and reservations. The team is commercial, practical, and responsive. Very good attention-to-detail and thorough.’
‘Paul Kwan is responsive and always able to provide practical and accurate advice at a very reasonable fee.’
‘Deacons’ commercial litigation team is experienced, practical and efficient in handling all sorts of contentious matters that a client may face.’
‘Paul Kwan is highly recommended for commercial contentious and compliance matters, whose knowledge in the fields, combined with his resourcefulness, provide great comfort to clients who may have needs in litigation matters.’
‘The team under KK Cheung is a very dedicated team. Comprehensive and strategic advice and skilful execution. Speaking from the perspective of counsel, the team is always able to deliver great support in all aspects of the litigation.’
‘KK Cheung and his team are knowledgeable in commercial litigation, with strategic thinking and attention-to-detail.’
Independent Police Complaints Council
Mr. Derek Chiu
Hummingbird Music Ltd
DP World Djibouti FZCO
Fu Ka Chun Marco
Gold Brilliant Investment Limited (a subsidiary of Goldin Financial Holdings Limited
Paul Chan Po-Man and Frieda Hui
Law Society of Hong Kong
Yuanta Securities (Hong Kong) Company Limited
- Acting for shareholder Zhang Cai Kui in a very complex multibillion-dollar shareholders’ dispute, which has generated numerous sets of proceedings in Hong Kong.
- Obtained summary judgment for effectively HK$134 million on behalf of Yuanta Securities (Hong Kong) Company Limited against an Account Executive (working as Independent Consultant) under a guarantee, guaranteeing to bear responsibility for all losses Yuanta may sustain by reason of insufficient margin – the first time that a guarantee of this nature has been enforced against an Independent Consultant in favour of a securities brokerage company.
- Acting for DP World Djibouti FZCO and two other plaintiffs in Hong Kong’s first court case involving a Chinese belt and road project and involving claims for procuring/inducing the breach of DP World’s exclusive multibillion-dollar port concession agreement with Djibouti.
Other key lawyers:
‘Deacons has done an excellent job helping us with Hong Kong tax issues.’
‘They are commendably willing to give firm, useable views on difficult issues, rapidly and very economically.’
‘Stefano Mariani is an excellent tax lawyer: highly knowledgeable, confident, clear in his advice and decisive.’
‘You can ask Stefano Mariani for a quick steer over the phone, and the written advice, when it comes, takes the same position and fortifies it against doubt.’
‘Stefano Mariani’s grasp of Hong Kong Inland Revenue Department’s practice, attitudes and priorities is immensely helpful.’
Hong Kong > TMT Tier 3Deacons is highly reputed for M&A, IPOs and investments in the TMT space. In addition, the firm is a go-to for advice on a wide ambit of commercial matters, including those relating to advertising, sponsorship agreements, licensing and distribution. With numerous qualified patent attorneys among its ranks, the team is conversant with a range of new technologies, including blockchain and digital non-fungible tokens (NFTs). Machiuanna Chu, who focuses on the new economies tech sector, co-heads the practice with Charmaine Koo.
‘The very responsive team has an excellent understanding of client needs.’
Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Successfully represented Google in an appeal against the Privacy Commissioner in Hong Kong regarding “Right to be Forgotten”.
- Representing Alibaba in proceedings commenced in Hong Kong by cosmetics supplier Mary Kay against three Alibaba companies relating to, inter alia, issues regarding Online Content Provider liability for a third party seller’s product, and jurisdiction issues regarding e-commerce sites operating across borders.
- Advised O-Net Technologies and the Offeror (being the consortium offeror comprising two substantial shareholders of O-Net Technologies and other investors) on the privatisation of ONet Technologies by the Offeror by way of a scheme of arrangement and the withdrawal of llisting of shares of O-Net Technologies from the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
‘The team is extremely knowledgeable as to current market and commercial practice’.
‘Well-versed in both commercial and financing aspects of financing transactions, and in particular strong in real estate financing’.
Hong Kong > Insurance Tier 4Deacons' team advises clients on a wide range of contentious matters, including those involving statutory insurance (employees’ compensation and compulsory third party motor claims) and general claims. It also has expertise in commercial insurance issues, such as policy, life assurance and regulatory matters. In addition, insurance-related restructurings and insolvencies are another cornerstone of the practice, which is led by Alfred Tam. The firm attracts work from domestic and international insurance companies, policy holders, intermediaries and regulators, among other clients.
‘This firm’s knowledge of insurance law is second to none.’
‘They are prompt to reply to clients’ enquiries and requests.’
‘They are willing to find alternative solutions with you and are flexible to meet your standard.’
‘In-depth knowledge of personal injury litigation involving all degrees of complexity.’
‘Impeccable team work from senior partners to trainee solicitors.’
‘Good reputation with the judges of all levels so as to facilitate case management in best favour of insurers.’
‘Endless resources and pervasive network, in particular with medical experts of all specialities, which are of paramount importance when handling the number of on-going cases at the same time.’
‘Alfred Tam, the team leader, is a talented individual who is always on the top of the law and is a pleasure to work with.’
- Acting for a renowned insurer in successfully contesting quantum of employees’ compensation and obtaining costs of the action on behalf of Tung Wah Group of Hospitals.
- Acted for The Kowloon Motor Bus Co. (1933) Limited in resisting an over HK$10m personal injuries claim and secured a costs order against the plaintiff on an indemnity basis with interest at the statutory maximum of 10% above judgment rate.
- Representing a leading construction company in proving that a claimant was a malingerer.
Other key lawyers:
‘Deacons is very professional in relation to HR management.‘
‘Helen Liao always provides efficient business advice that is compliant with local law.‘
‘Helen Liao, is very professional and gave us a lot of useful advice on HR management.‘
‘The team, particularly Helen Liao (Haiyan Liao) has a very sound understanding of labour laws, as well as the culture, in both Hong Kong and mainland China, enabling it to provide very good service consultations for Hong Kong companies backed by mainland Chinese investment.’
Mass Transit Railway Corporation
Jardine Matheson Holdings
Schroder Investment Management (Hong Kong)
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
The Polytechnic University of Hong Kong
‘Deacons is a highly experienced firm whose professional expertise is beyond reproach.‘
‘Has a wealth of very friendly and understanding staff -this is what makes the team so unique.‘
‘Very professional and knowledgeable, and able to provide good advice quickly.‘
‘The team is great for its technical expertise, client care and responsiveness.‘
‘Speedy response times with market-leading expertise.‘
‘Annie Tsoi, Charmaine Koo and Catherine Zheng are standout practitioners who have standout expertise.‘
‘Dora Si is of great support for various trade mark related matters. She is very quick to respond and gives advice that balances legal and commercial considerations.‘
‘Barbie Ho is a superb senior associate who exhibits a wealth of knowledge and expertise in Hong Kong and China IP law. She is able to home in on the key analyses that clients need very quickly, and has an uncanny ability to judge what actions might be feasible.‘
Chow Tai Fook
Lam Soon Group
Lan Kwai Fong Group
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
4M Industrial Development
Deacons > Firm Profile
Deacons is Hong Kong’s premier independent law firm and advises some of the world’s leading companies, financial institutions and individuals in Hong Kong and mainland China on their most significant and complex matters. With over 170 years of experience providing legal services, 18 key service areas and three representative offices in Mainland China, Deacons offers clients the benefit of its close relationships with Hong Kong’s business community.
Key service areas:
Banking & Finance:
Deacons has built a leading position in the sector over many years of working for some of the world’s biggest banks, financial institutions and trading companies in financings across the region. The firm’s experience spans syndicated lending, acquisition, project and structured trade finance, and banking regulatory work.
The firm’s extensive experience spans all areas of corporate finance, capital markets, structured products and regulatory work — ranging from IPOs, secondary issues, debt financing and bond issues to public takeovers — making Deacons well-equipped to advice on fundraising solutions to suit any organisation.
China Trade & Investment:
With its Mandarin-speaking team, and the support of offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, Deacons can assist with everything from gaining approval for investment projects, cross-border M&A, joint ventures with Chinese companies, and putting in place supply and distribution agreements, to setting up offices and operations in China.
Corporate and M&A:
The firm’s highly regarded corporate team serves an extensive client base spanning a variety of sectors, advising on all aspects of transactional work, including private mergers, acquisitions and disposals, private equity and venture capital investments and exits, and local and cross-border joint ventures.
Deacons’ experienced team can help lessen the burden of complying with regulatory formalities allowing clients to focus on their core business. The firm’s highly ranked team offers cost-effective professional corporate services, including helping with company formation, company secretarial services, registered office provision, and the preparation and custody of statutory records to ensure that everything is fully compliant and up to date.
The firm’s practice combines solid antitrust legal and economics experience with unparalleled in-depth knowledge of business practices in Hong Kong. Its lawyers and in-house economist have extensive experience advising companies and senior executives in a wide range of competition matters.
Deacons has considerable experience of advising on major projects across the region. The firm’s non-contentious work encompasses the full range of contractual and risk management advice, and spans both public and private sector projects, as well as resolving disputes through traditional and alternative dispute resolution techniques.
Employment & Pensions:
Deacons assists a wide range of clients with a variety of issues, including employment documentation, employee benefits and incentives, day-to-day HR issues, labour and employment disputes, pension regulations, work and residence visas, and the employment aspects of M&A and restructurings.
The Deacons team understands the importance of protecting clients’ interests and resolving matrimonial disputes quickly and effectively, to minimise emotional distress and preserve family harmony where possible, especially with the increase in marriages involving international elements, global residences and complex worldwide family assets and businesses. Our team is experienced in handling a wide range of family related matters in both contentious and non-contentious settings.
Intellectual Property (IP):
The firm’s award-winning IP practice offers a seamless service across Hong Kong and mainland China covering all areas of IP law, including the protection, exploitation and enforcement of copyright, designs, patents and trademarks (including the direct filing of Chinese trade marks through its Beijing trade mark agency).
The largest investment funds team in Hong Kong, Deacons acts for a high proportion of international and local asset managers on matters ranging from authorised funds and products to alternative investment funds and all related regulatory work.
Deacons’ experienced private client team can help with everything from local and international tax planning, wealth management and succession planning using wills, trusts and other structures, to philanthropy, real estate, probate and administration of estates, trust disputes and the running and restructuring of family businesses.
Data Protection and Privacy:
Deacons offers a seamless service across Hong Kong and Mainland China, advising on the full range of issues including data privacy policies and compliance, exploitation of data, cybersecurity and handling data breaches, data transfer, privacy issues in advertising and marketing, as well as investigations and appeals before the Privacy Commissioner and other enforcement authorities.
With Hong Kong’s largest specialist insurance practice, Deacons advises international and domestic insurers, intermediaries, regulators and others on a variety of matters, including large international insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes, regulatory issues, professional indemnity claims, insurance insolvencies and corporate deals in the regional insurance market.
Litigation & Dispute Resolution:
Deacons’ reputation is founded on efficiently handling a wide range of work, from large scale, complex, multijurisdictional litigation to more routine matters, in every area from general commercial and contractual cases, insurance and partnership disputes, to highly technical banking, IP, trusts, real estate, employment and tax litigation.
With a team of over 50 experienced staff, Deacons provides high-quality, integrated real estate advice on everything from the sale and purchase of real estate, property management and landlord/tenant issues, real estate finance, planning and zoning, real estate tax and dispute resolution.
Deacons’ regulatory team is highly experienced in dealings with the HKMA, SFC, OCI and MPFA, and in handling wider issues concerning fund authorisation and insurance, as well as insider dealing and market misconduct. Its commercial regulatory work ranges from regulatory investigations and data protection to bribery and corruption, discrimination and competition.
Deacons assists with all areas of tax law, from advising on tax-efficient business or investment structures, exemptions, reliefs and concessions, to representing clients in tax investigations or disputes. The firm also has considerable experience of advising on China’s Enterprise Income Tax and its various turnover taxes.
|Banking & Finance||Philip Gilliganemail@example.com||+852 2825 9716|
|Capital Markets||Ronny Chowfirstname.lastname@example.org||+852 2825 9435|
|Competition||Machiuanna Chuemail@example.com||+852 2825 9630|
|Construction||KK Cheungfirstname.lastname@example.org||+852 2825 9427|
|Corporate and M&A||Alexander Queemail@example.com||+852 2825 9770|
|Corporate and M&A||Machiuanna Chufirstname.lastname@example.org||+852 2825 9630|
|Employment & Pensions||Cynthia Chungemail@example.com||+852 2825 9297|
|Insolvency & Restructuring||Philip Gilliganfirstname.lastname@example.org||+852 2825 9716|
|Insurance||Alfred Tamemail@example.com||+852 2825 9490|
|Intellectual Property||Annie Tsoifirstname.lastname@example.org||+852 2825 9255|
|Intellectual Property||Charmaine Kooemail@example.com||+852 2825 9300|
|Investment Funds||Jeremy Lamfirstname.lastname@example.org||+852 2825 9732|
|Litigation & Dispute Resolution||Joseph Kwanemail@example.com||+852 2825 9324|
|Private Clients||Lilian Chiangfirstname.lastname@example.org||+852 2825 9234|
|Real Estate||Lilian Chiangemail@example.com||+852 2825 9234|
|Regulatory||Joseph Kwanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+852 2825 9324|
|Regulatory||Jeremy Lamemail@example.com||+852 2825 9732|
|Tax||Stefano Marianifirstname.lastname@example.org||+852 2825 9314|
Staff FiguresPartners : 56
LanguagesKorean Spanish Malay French Dutch German Japanese Italian Hokkien English Cantonese Hindi Portugese Chinese (Mandarin and dialects) Chinese (Hokkien) Shanghainese
- Antitrust and competition
- Capital markets (debt)
- Capital markets (equity)
- Corporate (including M&A)
- Dispute resolution: international arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Domestic and International Corporate Tax
- China > Labour and employment: foreign firms