Osborne Clarke > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Firm Profile
Osborne Clarke Offices
1081 KJ Amsterdam
Osborne Clarke > The Legal 500 Rankings
Netherlands > Industry focus: retail Tier 2Known for its international retail expertise, Osborne Clarke provides a full service to clients operating in the sector, with it covering commercial contracts, dispute resolution, real estate, employment, and TMT, notably outsourcing and e-commerce matters. Jeroen Bedaux handles commercial litigation, financial services litigation, fraud, compliance, construction litigation, and directors and officers liability issues. He co-heads the team with Paul Brouwer, who is ‘very knowledgeable, experienced, flexible and a pleasure to work with’.
Jeroen Bedaux; Paul Brouwer
‘Clear, sharp and spot-on advice.’
‘Paul Brouwer is very knowledgeable, experienced, flexible and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Professional lawyers who work quickly, adequately and practically.’
‘Very nice lawyers who think along well and where possible take work off your hands in a practical way.’
- Advised AG Beursplein Rotterdam Coöperatieve U.A. (as borrower) on its €90 million investment and development facilities agreement with ABN AMRO Bank N.V. and Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A in relation to the Beursgallery, an iconic retail asset in the heart of Rotterdam City. A large capex facility has been negotiated with the banks.
- Advising international fast food/sandwich chain Subway International on a global restructuring.
- Assisted HEMA, a retailer with 700 stores in the Netherlands, with disputes with several suppliers, including a dispute regarding the termination of a long-term contract with a supplier (approximately 80 years) for the delivery of various consumer goods.
Netherlands > Banking and finance: Financial services regulatory Tier 3Johannes de Jong leads Osborne Clarke‘s financial regulatory practice in Amsterdam. In addition to advising clients on new legislation, he assists with the development of new products and services, as well as licence applications. De Jong is knowledgeable about the regulations relating to funds (AIFMD/UCITS), the payments industry (PSD2/2EMD), the markets in financial instruments (MiFID2/MiFIR), including in respect of brokers and trading venues (OTF/MTF), and loan and equity-based crowdfunding.
Netherlands > Industry focus: Information technology Tier 3Osborne Clarke serves an impressive range of clients, ranging from from software and IT giants to smaller specialist companies. In addition to IT-related M&A and outsourcing and related litigation, the group advises on cutting edge work, with TMT head Coen Barneveld Binkhuysen specialising in software development, the implementation of ERP-systems, smart city projects, IoT solutions and robotics. Sophie den Held‘s experience includes IT contracting and consumer law while Marleen Huisman‘s broad experience covers e-commerce, data protection and intellectual property. The firm’s OC Solutions programme provides clients with a platform designed around its unique business needs, for example tracking projects in real time and sharing information with their key stakeholders.
Coen Barneveld Binkhuysen
Other key lawyers:
‘Complementary roles, well-organised process for team information sharing within the team. Efficient team effort.’
‘Very engaged with our business and legal case, proactive approach. Clear and focused communication. Able to act swiftly when needed. The above applies to all three members of the team: Coen Barneveld Binkhuysen, Nammy Vellinga and Paul Brouwer.’
Park Strijp Beheer
Miniclip (UK) Limited
- Advising longstanding client Facebook on a variety of highly complex issues, including legal requirements in respect of algorithm transparency.
- Advising Infosys, a global leader in next-generation digital services, on the acquisition of GuideVision.
- Advising MediaMonks, one of the largest global creative digital production companies, on the acquisition of The Oddshop in February 2021; and, separately, on a three-year software licensing agreement with cloud-based software vendor, WorkDay.
Netherlands > Banking and finance: Borrower side Tier 4Osborne Clarke generates a significant volume of mid-market finance transactions, under the leadership of practice head Axel van der Staak, with a focus on real estate finance, renewable energy finance and general corporate lending. Other workstreams include financings for leveraged buyouts and restructurings. Senior associate Peter van der Horst is another key individual in the team.
Axel van der Staak
Other key lawyers:
‘Nice team, people have the know-how and are pragmatic, which is a strong quality.’
‘Very commercial rates, excellent and quick advice.’
‘Axel van der Staak is appreciated because of his in-depth knowledge of the specifics of banking/loan agreements. He knows when to push back. He is easy to work with.’
Angelo Gordon & Co, L.P.
Cairn Real Estate B.V.
Aspen Real Estate Investments B.V.
Silicon Valley Bank
Deutsche Leasing Finance GmbH
CV City Harbour Hotel
Vagomij Langstraat B.V.
Tree Eclipse B.V.
NewCold Coöperatieve U.A.
Guggenheim Credit Services LLC
HSBC Bank plc
Barclays Bank plc
Santander Bank plc
- Advising AG Beursplein Rotterdam Coöperatieve U.A. (the borrower) on its €90m investment and development facilities agreement with ABN AMRO and Rabobank in connection with the iconic Beursgallery in Rotterdam.
- Assisting InTheCity Fund for Joint Account with obtaining €90m worth of original and follow-on financing from ABN AMRO.
- Advising Angelo Gordon and APF International on a €54.5m investment and development facilities agreement with Edmond de Rothschild in connection with the District West office centres of Telegraaf Media and APG.
Netherlands > Employment Tier 4Osborne Clarke works with a range of multinational clients, handling cross-border contentious and non-contentious employment mandates. Jim Margry joined from Loyens & Loeff in March 2021 and now heads the team alongside Jorgo Tsiris. The practice has recently been active in a number of corporate restructuring matters and also pensions and incentives-related issues.
‘Jim Margry is always available and works very fast while giving custom-made advice’.
‘Jim Margry’s advice is pragmatic and he also checks in after a while to chat about how everything went’.
‘They have offices in several places in Europe – this is handy as my company operates internationally’.
‘I know Jim Margry and I am very satisfied with his services’.
‘Jim Margry is knowledgeable and knows how and when to apply pressure to get cases resolved in an optimal way’.
‘Very much focused on what is possible instead of what is not possible according the law’.
‘Business-savvy and practical, very down-to-earth and accessible’.
O-I Netherlands (Owens-Illinois)
- Advising MessageBird, which has more than 1,000 employees, on the implementation of its ‘work from anywhere policy’ enabling employees to work from any country in the world.
- Acting for Wasserman on the employment law issues arising from Ronald Koeman’s appointment as head coach to FC Barcelona, which involved advising on employment, tax and regulatory issues in relation to the termination of the employment agreement with the Dutch National Football Association, the entering into an employment agreement with FC Barcelona and related transfer agreements.
- Advising Tech Mahindra on terminations and litigation avoidance arising from the integration of the LCC Inc. business.
Netherlands > Real estate Tier 4Osborne Clarke handles sales and acquisitions, developments and redevelopments, mixed-use developments and energy-related real estate work. Bas Beenen leads the practice with over 20 years’ experience in commercial real estate transactions. Berend Zwart is a name to note for transactions, developments and dispute resolution.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent for real estate M&A’.
‘Experienced, no-nonsense and to-the-point’.
‘Bas Beenen is very experienced in residential forward funding purchase transactions’.
‘Bas Beenen is a fast thinker and to the point’.
‘Highly skilled lawyers who are practical’.
‘Very fast and practical service’.
Boelens de Gruyter
Amvest Projectontwikkeling / Amvest Residential Core Fund
Angelo, Gordon & Co
Cairn Real Estate
ZINC Real Estate
Municipality of Amsterdam
Westmont Hospitality Group
- Advising Angelo Gordon and APF International on the €60m sale of multiple office buildings throughout the Randstad region.
- Acting for Amvest on various acquisitions and developments, including the acquisition of over 800 residential units in project SPOT in southeast Amsterdam.
- Advised Boelens de Gruyter on the development of a former KPN building in inner-city Den Bosch into a mixed-use complex.
Netherlands > Commercial, corporate and M&a Tier 5Osborne Clarke’s corporate and M&A practice continues to expand its offering, predominantly acting on deals in the €40m to €100m range. The practice is active on both local and cross-border deals, often in collaboration with its colleagues in the UK, France, Belgium, Germany and Italy, and is headed by Herke Van Hulst, who has considerable experience in healthcare, digital and life sciences-related transactions.
Herke van Hulst
Other key lawyers:
Geoffrey Beurskens; Marie-Louise Weeda
‘Generally, the hourly charges are fair, hours spent are reasonable, hence the value of services are well above the amount that is charged.’
‘Herke van Hulst is very experienced and gave us sharp insights into various issues regarding investment and acquisition. She was also very good at organising the team of specialised members in the fields of IP and tax.’
Ancora Finance Group and Wellington Partners
Bauhaus Matrixmind Holding BV
Lava Therapeutics B.V.
Miniclip (UK) Limited
Phoenix / Ambiente
Terumo Corporation (client for 6 years)
Wireless Logic Group
- Advised Japan-based Terumo Corporation on the €45m acquisition of the remaining 80.1% stake in Quirem Medical B.V.
- Advised on the acquisition of NaGa Solar and the subsequent creation of a joint venture that will develop at least 4GW of solar projects across the UK, the Netherlands and Germany, creating a €1bn investment opportunity for institutional investors.
- Assisted the shareholders of Milabs B.V. in the controlled auction sale of the company’s entire issued share capital to Rigaku Corporation.
Netherlands > Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation Tier 5Osborne Clarke has notable experience in corporate and commercial litigation and acts for a range of domestic and international clients from its Amsterdam base, which launched in 2014. Practice head Jeroen Bedaux is recommended for financial services litigation, including class actions and mass claims, and fraud, compliance and construction matters. Jim Margry joined the team from Loyens & Loeff in early 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Jorgo Tsiris; Bas Beenen; Berend Zwart; Jim Margry
‘Very pragmatic and knowledgeable’.
‘Hands-on mentality with senior leadership’.
‘Jeroen Bedaux is a senior litigator who is pragmatic, realistic and solution-driven’.
‘Jeroen Bedaux has the capacity to convince the stakeholders with content arguments, experience and a no nonsense attitude’.
‘Clear, sharp and spot-on advice’.
Football Club Utrecht
Silk Road Bank
- Defending Lifex against claims by the bankruptcy trustee – the claim and deficit in the bankruptcy amounts to €175m.
- Succeeded on appeal of summary proceedings and in main proceedings on behalf of a fund managed by global investment management company Fortress Investment Group in a dispute concerning the sale of valuable real estate.
- Acting for Takenaka Europe in relation to a construction dispute, which represents the first dispute in the Netherlands regarding the sensitization for life of employees arising from a construction defect.
Netherlands > Tax Tier 5Osborne Clarke‘s tax practice in the Netherlands is led by Job van der Pol, who has experience of undertaking a mix of domestic and cross-border work, particularly in relation to M&A and real estate transactions. On the contentious side, he has also represented clients in cases arising from the European Commission’s state investigations into tax rulings issued to multinational companies. Although the firm’s work spans a wide range of industries, it is notably active in mandates connected with technology, media and communications, as well as life sciences. Senior associate Cees Graafland joined from Stibbe in October 2020.
Job van der Pol
Other key lawyers:
‘The team works actively in a solution-oriented way, sees new ways instead of finding problems, and always based on a needs analysis.’
Crown Bioscience Inc.
Miniclip (UK) Limited
Ancora Finance Group and Wellington Partners (Koa Health)
DKV Mobility Services Holding GmbH + Co. KG/NOVOFLEET Verwaltungsgesellschaft MBH
Morrison & Co
Bauhaus Matrixmind Holding BV
Wireless Logic Group
Connected Infrastructure Capital GmbH
Management of BauWatch
Phoenix Holding B.V.
ViroClinics Biosciences and Summit Partners LLP
- Advised Japan-based Terumo Corporation on all tax aspects of the €45m acquisition of the remaining 80.1% stake in Quirem Medical B.V.
- Advised the management of BauWatch on all tax aspects of the sale of BauWatch by Nordean Capital to Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH, including the structuring of management incentive packages.
- Assisted the shareholders of Milabs B.V. with the controlled auction sale of the company’s entire issued share capital to Rigaku Corporation, including handling the settlement of tax and stock ownership plans (SARS and ESOPs) in connection with the sales process.
Osborne Clarke > Firm Profile
The firm: Osborne Clarke is a fast-growing international legal practice, with more than 1080+ lawyers working across Europe, Asia and the US. The team offers a high-quality joined-up service for multi-jurisdiction work, focused on getting commercial results for the client. Osborne Clarke’s legal expertise is underpinned by its in-depth knowledge of seven key industry sectors: digital business; energy and utilities; financial services; life sciences and healthcare; real estate and infrastructure; retail; and transport and automotive. For businesses in these sectors, Osborne Clarke not only offers a full range of legal services, but uses its sector knowledge to provide insights that help clients take effective action at the right time.
Osborne Clarke is recognised for its unstuffy culture, which means that clients experience strong relationships and a consistently approachable, easy-to-understand style no matter where they are based.
Osborne Clarke’s fast-growing Amsterdam-based team is a full-service practice particularly recognised for advising digital businesses, retail and real estate clients as well as clients in the financial services industry. The team has extensive experience in assisting clients with setting up and expanding their business in the Netherlands and the EU.
The Amsterdam office opened in the summer of 2014 with a team of lawyers and advises both fast-growth businesses and recognised market leaders, including Amazon, Starbucks and HEMA.
Areas of practice: Osborne Clarke delivers a full range of legal services in the context of clients’ industry sectors, with a particular focus on digital business, energy and utilities, financial services, life sciences and healthcare, real estate and infrastructure, and transport and automotive.
Commercial: the team advises clients on the contracts that underpin their business as well as day-to-day issues, from outsourcing, expanding sales networks, IP, procuring goods and services to checking advertising compliance.
Corporate: Osborne Clarke advises at every stage of company development across all corporate issues, from equity and debt fundraisings, to M&A, IPOs and JVs. OC also advises on the establishment of compliant and efficient governance structures.
Employment, incentives and pensions: practical, day-to-day support covers the full range of employment issues from recruitment and employee incentive schemes to dismissal, risk management and reputational issues. The team is an acknowledged leader in defending employers on high-profile litigation claims, TUPE and reorganisation issues.
Dispute resolution: Osborne Clarke’s disputes team resolves complex, high-value disputes across a wide range of jurisdictions. Services include early-stage strategic input, representing clients in court proceedings, international arbitration, mediations and regulatory investigations.
Intellectual property: from new patents to licence negotiations to IP portfolio sales, Osborne Clarke has the experience to get valuable, commercial results. In IP disputes, the team can help prevent misuse of IPRs, or defend against allegations of infringement, wherever in the world they occur.
Information technology: Osborne Clarke’s IT team advises on all aspects of technology and its impact on businesses. Particular areas of focus include data protection, IT contracts and outsourcing.
Real estate: the team provides a comprehensive ‘lifecycle’ service across the key areas of real estate and property law. Services cover the range of real estate advice, including acquisitions, disposals, asset management, disputes, construction, environmental advice, finance, investment, fund structuring, planning and regeneration.
Financial services: the FS team advises clients on fund regulations and formations, the markets in financial instruments, the payments industry and insurance distribution. The FS corporate team handles fund investments and the dispute resolution team resolves FS litigation and regulatory investigations.
|Dispute Resolution||Jeroen Bedauxemail@example.com||+31207028614|
|Dispute Resolution||Paul Brouwerfirstname.lastname@example.org||+31 20 702 8624|
|Tech, Media & Comms||Coen Barneveld Binkhuysenemail@example.com||+31 20 702 8612|
|Privacy & Data Protection||Joanne Zaaijerfirstname.lastname@example.org||+31 20 702 8622|
|Corporate M&A||Herke van Hulstemail@example.com||+31 20 702 8672|
|Corporate M&A||Geoffrey Beurskensfirstname.lastname@example.org||+31 20 702 8682|
|Corporate M&A||Marie-Louise Weedaemail@example.com||+31 20 702 8698|
|Real Estate & Infrastructure||Bas Beenenfirstname.lastname@example.org||+31 20 702 8644|
|Real Estate and infrastructure||Berend Zwartemail@example.com||+31 20 702 8928|
|Tax||Job van der Polfirstname.lastname@example.org||+31 20 702 8920|
|Financial Regulatory||Johannes de Jongemail@example.com||+31 20 702 8678|
|Banking & Finance||Axel van der Staakfirstname.lastname@example.org||+31 20 702 8648|
|Employment, Pensions & Incentives||Jim Margryemail@example.com||+31207028618|
|Employment, Pensions & Incentives||Jorgo Tsirisfirstname.lastname@example.org||+31 20 702 8638|
|Geoffrey Beurskens||View Profile|
|Mr Jeroen Bedaux||Please see full biography at http://www.osborneclarke.com/search/?q=Jeroen+Bedaux||View Profile|
|Bas Beenen||View Profile|
|Coen Barneveld Binkhuysen||View Profile|
|Paul Brouwer||View Profile|
|Jim Margry||View Profile|
|Mr Jorgo Tsiris||Please see full biography at: http://www.osborneclarke.com/lawyers/tsirisjorgo/||View Profile|
|Herke Van Hulst||View Profile|
|Marie-Louise Weeda||View Profile|
|Joanne Zaaijer||View Profile|
|Berend Zwart||View Profile|
|Johannes de Jong||View Profile|
|Axel van der Staak||View Profile|