Alta QIL+4 Abogados > Guatemala, Guatemala > Firm Profile
Alta QIL+4 Abogados Offices
DIAGONAL 6, 10-01 ZONA 10
CENTRO GERENCIAL LAS MARGARITAS, OFICINA 302 A, TORRE II
- Go to...
Alta QIL+4 Abogados > The Legal 500 RankingsAlta QIL+4 Abogados has further strengthened its expertise in cross-border transactions, handling a number of significant regional matters. The team is particularly renowned for its experience in syndicated loans, project finance and capital markets matters, including high-profile sovereign bond issuances, and recently advised on the largest green bond issuance of its kind in Central America and the Caribbean. At the head of the team is the experienced quartet of Alejandro Cofiño, managing partner Marcos Ibargüen, José Quiñones (a specialist in tax issues) and Andrés Lowenthal, who is particularly noted for his expertise in the financing of hydroelectric and mining projects. The strong cohort of senior associates includes Melissa Echeverría, Santiago Granados and project finance specialist Ignacio Grazioso. Since publication, Echeverría has been raised to the partnership - effective as of February 2023.
Alejandro Cofiño; Marcos Ibargüen; José Quiñones; Andrés Lowenthal
‘It’s a very professional firm with lawyers who are deeply experience in financial transactions. They know Guatemalan reality and the risks of undertaking transactions in this country. The availability of the team is excellent and they accomodate our requirements, meeting established deadlines. They also accompany and look out for the interests of our institution in Guatemala.‘
‘Personalised attention, timely responses and a friendly manner. They have considerable knowledge and experience in their respective areas of practice.‘
‘They have the experience necessary to confront the projects delegated to their practice. The firm can count on specialised lawyers with the technology to be in constant communication.‘
‘Experience, knowledge and differentiated by their availability and understanding of the urgency of a given case; we’d highlight Santiago Granados and Carlos Martinez.‘
JP Morgan Chase
The Royal Bank of Nova Scotia
Banco Agrícola El Salvador
Transmisión de Electricidad (Grupo Terra)
Banco G&T Continental
Transportadora de Energía de Centroamérica (Grupo Energía Bogotá)
- Advised Investment Energy Resources, as the issuer, and Renace, as the guarantor, on the issuance of $700m in green bonds, the largest investment of its kind in Central America and the Caribbean.
- Advised the Republic of Guatemala on the issuance of a $1bn two-tranche bond offering.
- Advised Citigroup Global Markets, JP Morgan Securities and Scotia Capital, as the purchasers, on a Rule 144A and Regulation S offering of $1.1bn of sustainability-linked bonds by the Central America Bottling Corporation.
Marcos Ibargüen; Maria Isabel Luján
‘Collaboration and good relationships.’
‘Strengths: their echnical knowledge of the issues, and the experience and personalised treatment of the partners – in particular Marcos Ibargüen.‘
‘It is a team with extensive experience in transactional issues – M&A – who dominate the subject and provide excellent advice.‘
‘The entire Alta QIL+4 team with whom I have had the pleasure of working has always been responsive, professional and always provide personalised attention to each case.‘
‘The team is committed to the objective of the transaction.’
‘Andrés Lowenthal is an experienced lawyer with a good response time.‘
‘An extremely professional team. It responds within the deadlines, is proactive and has high legal quality. In addition, they have great capacity in negotiation with the counterparty; Marcos Ibarguen and Enrique Martines.‘
‘The team is very sophisticated, user-friendly and knowledgeable. Their collaborative approach to deals makes them a true partner.‘
Disagro De Guatemala
Cinepolis – Mex
WPP Group USA
Baker & McKenzie
Aceros de Guatemala
- Advised Global Farma on the acquisition of 100% of the equity of the company by Spain-based Faes Farma for $30m.
- Advised Aceros de Guatemala on the acquisition of 100% of the equity of Tubac, a manufacturer and seller of steel tubes.
- Advised Telus International on the integration of a stock ownership plan across several jurisdictions, including a special registration in Guatemala that required adapting the programme to comply with local laws.
Alejandro Solares Morales
‘I’d highlight the firm’s 24/7 availability to serve the client; the experience and efficient consultations of its lawyers, especially Alejandro Solares.‘
‘Alejandro Solares is an excellent litigator.‘
‘The Alta QIL+4 team is highly qualified to respond to the needs of its clients. They are supremely efficient in time management, are always available to answer questions, and handle Guatemalan law and the particularities of international arbitrations perfectly. Invoicing is clear and transparent, they have great technology skills and work very well with international lawyers.‘
‘Dr Alejandro Solares stands out in the team; he is an excellent litigation and arbitration lawyer who knows Guatemalan law perfectly and handles the concepts of international arbitration very well; associate Estuardo Marchena also stands out – despite his young age, he is already revealed as a future star for litigation in Guatemala and international arbitration. I particularly highlight his excellent work in disputes in the electricity sector and complex construction arbitrations.‘
‘The arbitration practice at ALTA Guatemala is getting stronger. Great integration of the team. Their writing skills are very high.‘
‘Their knowledge of the Guatemalan market and abilities to integrate the right team to conduct the matter stand out.‘
Pan American Silver
Lacteos De Honduras (Lacthosa)
Aceros De Guatemala
British American Tobacco
Banco G&T Continental
Empresa Guatemalteca De Combustible
Energía Limpia De Guatemala (Grupo Terra)
Uno Guatemala (Grupo Terra)
Ternium Internacional Guatemala
Banco Agromercantil De Guatemala (Bancolombia)
Grupo Frito Lay (Pesico)
Colegio Americano De Guatemala
Universidad Del Valle De Guatemala
Créditos Centroamericanos Aktúa
IDC Asesores Financieros
Asociación De Generadores Renovables (Ager)
Anacapri (Grupo Onyx)
Jaguar Energy Guatemala
Maquinas Exactas (Maxa)
Transactel (Grupo Tellus)
Ronald A Chisholm
Asociación Nacional De Generadores
- Acting for Renace in an amparo action brought by a representative of the indigenous community against the Ministry of Energy and Mines, seeking to revoke the client’s licence to operate four hydroelectric power plants under ILO Convention 169.
- Representing Minera San Rafael (owned by Pan American Silver) in an amparo action brought by environmental organisations against the Ministry of Energy and Mines, seeking to revoke the client’s licence to operate the world’s second largest silver mine.
- Acting for Banco Agromercantil in a series of complex debt and asset recovery cases totalling over $17m.
Guatemala > Labour Tier 1Alta QIL+4 Abogados‘s broad labour practice spans contentious and non-contentious matters, with the team advising on the employment aspects of corporate transactions and assisting with the termination of employment contracts. On the litigation side, the department is particularly renowned for its counsel to clients in the BPO industry. Another key area of activity has been advising employers on workplace issues arising from the Covid-19 pandemic and vaccination rollout. Practice head Evelyn Rebuli is highly experienced in labour matters ranging from disputes to compliance and labour audits, counting many major multinationals among her clients. Also noted are senior associate Javier Castellán, who has 11 years of labour law experience, and associate Ingrid Fuentes, who advises on social security and immigration issues. Since publication, Castellán has been raised to the partnership - effective as of February 2023.
‘Personalised attention supplied 24/7.‘
‘It is a very good team: technical and involved with the operation. Sometimes they are not personally available but in those cases the calls or communications are always adequate.‘
‘They have experience in the challenges we face and the risks we want to avoid, and they understand the balance of risks inherent in operations.‘
Ingenio San Diego
Banco G&T Continental
Banco Agromercantil de Guatemala
Innovative Contact Solutions
Guatemala > Real estate Tier 1An impressive client base of major developers looks to the multi-disciplinary team at Alta QIL+4 Abogados for assistance with all stages of residential, commercial and industrial projects, from the acquisition of land to the sale and lease of units. The department is highly experienced in the development of real estate projects, and also regularly advises on related corporate, commercial and tax issues (with particular expertise in co-ownership regimes). Practice head Eva Cacacho is noted for her advice on the incorporation of real estate funds to invest in the development and construction of projects in Guatemala. Associates Karen Tzoc and Ana Mariela De Léon, who joined the team in 2021 from an in-house role with a local developer, are also key contacts. Former associate Maria Fernanda Ovalle left for an in-house position in September 2021. Since publication, De Léon has also left the firm.
‘I believe that QIL+4 Abogados has never stopped (in the pandemic) nor does it stop, they are always at the forefront of new legal and/or technological developments. Their team is highly diverse and always exposed to complex and challenging projects (both in Guatemala and abroad).‘
‘I believe that the firm is comprised of highly capable and professional attorneys. Regarding real estate law, I consider that Eva Cacacho has a wealth of experience gained over a number of years being involved in complex and sizeable projects. Her participation in these projects gives her a different perspective to find effective and creative solutions.‘
‘They handle communication very well in the group; as well as delegatng very well and having a very complete team of lawyers for a company’s requirements.‘
‘They have the best lawyers in the country in one group. They have been pioneers in many areas and keep up with the changes. They are also extremely proactive people who understand that the world is moving at a different speed and respond to it.‘
‘They are ethical people. It is a value that is being lost.‘
Grupo Onyx (Centro Comercial Maderos)
Belluno (Taco Bell)
Minera San Rafael
Latin American Partners
Universidad del Valle de Guatemala
Hacienda Santa Isabel
Colegio Americano de Guatemala
Corpoagro del Pacifico
- Advised Rayovac Guatemala on the sale of the site of its former plant to a real estate developer intending to build a social housing project on the land.
- Advised Arguelles on the acquisition of property for the development of an industrial warehouse project.
- Advised Desarrolladora Tetuan on the acquisition of land to build an industrial park in the southern region of Guatemala.
Guatemala > Tax Tier 1Alta QIL+4 Abogados’s strengths lie in advising major multinational clients on the tax aspects of cross-border transactions, in addition to handling high-profile tax litigation, drawing on the experience of the firm’s considerable corporate and dispute resolution departments. In the latter respect, the team is well versed in litigation against the tax authority regarding a variety of issues. Key areas of expertise include transfer pricing, capital gains on international transactions, compliance issues and sensitive tax investigations. Experienced practice head José Quiñones advises on tax issues stemming from international corporate and financial transactions, as well as compliance matters. Associate Otto Ardón has expertise in assisting regional conglomerates with tax issues relating to restructuring and expansion into new markets, as well as transfer pricing and fintech tax matters.
British American Tobacco
Frito Lay/Quaker Oats
- Advised Mexican microfinance group Grupo Gentera on the tax issues relating to the transfer of the credit portfolio of its local subsidiary to Fundación Génesis Empresarial, a not-for-profit entity.
- Acted for Comercializadora Campbells in litigation against the tax authority, seeking the reimbursement of export value-added tax.
- Acting for Naturaceites in litigation relating to the adjustment of tax on profits.
Enel Green Power
MultiEnergía (Corporación Multi Inversiones)
Generadora San Andres y Generadora San Mateo
Minera San Rafael (Pan American Silver)
- Advised Investment Energy Resources, as the issuer, and Renace, as the guarantor, on the issuance of $700m senior secured noted due 2029, the largest green bond investment of its kind in Central America and the Caribbean.
- Advised Ecoener, a Spanish company with two hydroelectric power plants in Guatemala, on the due diligence of its local subsidiaries before its €130m green bond issuance on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.
- Advising the Association of Forest Communities of Petén (ACOFOP), which manages nine community forest concessions in the Maya Biosphere Reserve in northern Guatemala, on issues including governance issues and agreements between communities and stakeholders.
Alejandro Del Valle; Marcos Ibargüen
Shiseido (via Ladas & Parry)
PPG Industries USA (via Ladas & Parry)
Cadejo Brewing Company
International Biodegradable Products Institute (via Michael E. Zall)
Aceros de Guatemala
- Advising the International Biodegradable Products Institute on the local process for the registration of a logo that identifies and certifies biodegradable plastic products.
- Assisting Maquinas Exactas with filing criminal complaints against several small distributors, seeking the seizure of counterfeit sugar products.
- Advising Gringo Perdido, an ecotourism hotel in Petén, on a strategy to protect its brand name.