HVG Law LLP > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Firm Profile
HVG Law LLP Offices
ANTONIO VIVALDISTRAAT 150
1083 HP AMSTERDAM
HVG Law LLP > The Legal 500 Rankings
Netherlands > International Business Reorganisations Tier 1International business reorganisations constitute one of the central practice areas for HVG Law LLP, where the firm advises clients on cross-border restructurings from inception to implementation. As part of the global EY Law network, the team can leverage strong international relationships and full-service capabilities in matters such as pre- and post-deal reorganisations, seat transfers and legal entity rationalisations. The practice is jointly headed by Frank Zandee and Scarlett Snethlage in the Netherlands, as well as New York-based Martijn Udo de Haes. Freek Lugtigheid specialises in planning and simplifying international corporate structures.
Frank Zandee; Martijn Udo de Haes; Scarlett Snethlage
Other key lawyers:
Freek Lugtigheid; Arnout Rodewijk
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Advised Halliburton on a wide variety of legal matters and projects, including a legal entity rationalisation project and an optimisation and rationalization project of Halliburton’s global IP structure.
- Advising 3M on the carve-out and spin-off of 3M’s food safety business to Neogen in 48 jurisdictions.
- Advising Quaker with the integration of Houghton EMEIA entities into BPR 1 model, corporate restructurings and IP restructuring.
Netherlands > EU and competition Tier 4
Netherlands > Restructuring and insolvency Tier 4
As part of the EY global network, HVG Law LLP’s restructuring and insolvency practice is well-placed to act on cross-border mandates and counts Dutch companies, shareholders, banks, investors and creditors among its key roster of clients. The team is noted for its experience acting as insolvency administrators and trustees in bankruptcy cases, and has demonstrable expertise across the retail, life sciences, energy and real estate sectors. Robin de Wit leads the practice alongside Jan Padberg and Johan Westerhof.
Robin de Wit; Jan Padberg; Johan Westerhof
‘The team has a unique mix of bankruptcy experience in an international environment.’
‘Simply good lawyers with a practical approach.’
‘This team is highly pragmatic and knowledgeable. This is also due to the cooperation with other disciplines within the organisation.’
‘HVG’s restructuring team is part of an international network of specialists.’
‘HGV Law is uniquely placed with a strong restructuring and insolvency offering alongside the corporate law offering.’
‘Good practice knowledge of Dutch insolvency and banking law.’
Exem Energy B.V.
Court appointed liquidations of GFH fund and Allegretto Fund / Dutch Authority of Financial Markets
TCN Urop SE
Stichting Legal Owner Melanion Dividend Fund
Tidal Operations Netherlands B.V.
Salon B B.V.
- Acted as bankruptcy trustee of Travelbird, a high-tech online travel and leisure platform.
- Acting as bankruptcy trustee in an expansive real estate bankruptcy with approximately 40 projects in eight different countries, successfully selling most of the aforementioned projects, in close cooperation with the financing banks.
Netherlands > Commercial, corporate and M&a Tier 5
The ‘strong and tight-knit team’ at HVG Law LLP is well-placed to leverage its strategic alliance with EY Law when advising on M&A transactions, joint ventures, and due diligence mandates. In the firm’s Rotterdam office, Sijmen de Lange has demonstrable experience acting on acquisitions and divestments, while Eindhoven-based Susan ten Haaf is noted for her expertise across the agri-food, retail, technology and construction sectors. Lange and Haaf lead the practice alongside Matthijs Driedonks, who handles cross-border M&A. Caspar van der Winden left in October 2021. Chaggai Kon joined from De Brauw Blackstone Westbroek in July 2022.
Sijmen de Lange; Matthijs Driedonks; Susan ten Haaf
Other key lawyers:
Hendrik-Jan Bleijerveld; Sandra van Loon; Bart Wolters; Merel Zwankhuizen; Chaggai Kon
‘Strong and tight-knit team, always available, solution-oriented, strong network and a proactive attitude. Strong commitment towards clients.’
‘Knowledgeable yet very practical approach.’
‘Strong comprehensive and experienced team.’
‘Pleasant personalities with granular analysis. Good and creative negotiation skills.’
‘Specialised M&A team.’
‘Strong team that works together and is always helpful.’
De Jong Packaging Group
Cooperatie PLUS UA/Coop Subholding
House of Performance
Oy Duell Bike-Center – IGM
Milestone Group B.V.
Eurofins EAG Materials and Engineering Science
Urban Mining Corp
Eurofins Environment Testing
Oy Duell Bike-Center- Techno Motor
Deutz Netherlands B.V.
Eurofins Medical Independence
P.A. van der Kooij
Caspar de Haan B.V.
Hennes & Mauritz
- Advised eight separate optician retail chains and management teams on simultaneous merger and (re)investment with EMK Capital forming Eyecare Group.
- Advised Remondis and Umincorp in various individual acquisitions and joint ventures relating to recycling activities.
- Advised Instabox (company backed by EQT Ventures) on successful buy-and-built acquisitions of Red Je Pakketje.
Netherlands > Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation Tier 5HVG Law LLP specialises in non-bankruptcy related restructuring matters as well as corporate and commercial disputes. Dispute resolution team head George Driessen represents clients across diverse industries encompassing the energy, healthcare, construction, retail and sports sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Kim van Wesel
Bond voor Belastingbetalers (Dutch Tax Payers Alliance)
Coöperatieve Nederlandse Bloembollencentrale
Dutch Medical Group
Capricorn Capital Group
Founding shareholder of Imkerij De Traay
Founding shareholder of Priogen Energy
Founding shareholder of PAIX Holding
Founding shareholder of Vedder & Vedder
Founding shareholder of Agrifac and BB Leap
- Representing Dutch Tax Payers Alliance in a collective claim against The Netherlands before the ECHR for effective remedy against disproportionate tax measures.
- Represented one of the founding shareholders of Priogen Energy in a dispute against a fellow founding shareholder and CEO, Enerfund, relating to the subsequent carve-out of the minority shareholder and capital acquisition through private equity before the Enterprise Chamber.
- Represented the investor and founding shareholder (Subliem B.V.) of Vedder & Vedder in a dispute against his co-shareholders before the Enterprise Chamber of the Amsterdam Court of Appeal.
Netherlands > Employment Tier 5
Netherlands > Data privacy and data protection
Improving our impact on the environment
Responsible and sustainable entrepreneurship is inherent to our standards and the manner in which we do business. This enables us to be of added value, in the long term, to our employees, clients and society in general, as well as the environment we form part of. We channel our efforts in the field of social responsibility in the following core areas.
We, as a responsible employer, encourage our people to get involved in social organisations, because we can contribute with our most valuable asset, knowledge. We do this among other things by means of our sponsorship of Pro Bono Connect. Through Pro Bono Connect we offer free legal advice and assistance to a broad group of social organisations (NGOs) that support the common interest of human rights.
A healthy environment is important to us and to our organisation. We have established a number of initiatives within our company to improve our impact on the environment. This has resulted in a policy that is focused on, amongst others, the reduction of energy and paper usage and the purchase of environmentally-friendly products; we encourage the use of electric cars and we have implemented an ecologically responsible travel policy for all employees.
HVG Law offers its employees every possible opportunity to develop, to grow and to be successful. We have, for example, integrated social responsibility in our training courses through the HVG Law School. By doing this, our employees acquire points of reference that help them to develop into competent and socially skilled individuals in society.
HVG Law is part of the global EY Law network, currently with more than 3,500 professionals, 2,400 legal advisors and 1,100 professionals for managed services who are active in more than 133 offices in 84 countries.
We work in all areas of law and all sectors that are relevant to the business community: directors, shareholders and public authorities; we know your business as well as your market.
With offices in New York, Chicago and San Jose (Donahue & Partners LLP in the US), we are able to offer our national and international clients solutions for their legal issues.