B2R Law Jankowski Stroinski Zieba > Kraków, Poland > Firm Profile
B2R Law Jankowski Stroinski Zieba Offices
B2R Law Jankowski Stroinski Zieba > The Legal 500 Rankings
Poland > White-collar crime Tier 2B2R Law Jankowski Stroinski Zieba is particularly active in criminal litigation, especially cases involving allegations of fraud. The business criminal litigation team is led by co-founder of the firm and arbitrator Bartłomiej Jankowski; he has significant experience advising clients on the liability of members of commercial companies, as well as on anti-corruption issues concerning international companies. Counsel Anna Grochowska–Wasilewska is another core member of the team who often acts on behalf of defendants, and is well versed in matters relating to actions which are detrimental to the company, and money laundering.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Grochowska–Wasilewska; Edyta Zalewska
‘The team is super cooperative, fast-learning, and very objective. They are pro-active in learning and keeping up with the needs of the case.’
‘They are able to look beyond the case file and expand their horizons to a global, industry-wide perspective, integrating the intricacies of the world’s political and economic situation, while making accurate judgements about the progress of the case.’
‘Bartłomiej Jankowski and his team are able to persevere when cases are in an extremely desperate situation. Their optimism and objective analysis gives not only trust and hope to the client, but also a sense of humanity that encourages the client and the legal team to work actively together to make things better.’
- Representing a Palestinian Guantanamo Bay detainee in criminal proceedings regarding illegal CIA Black Sites and the use of torture.
- Defending a former manager at global telecoms company Huawei, who was arrested in Poland on charges of alleged spying.
- Defending Andrzej Jakubiak, who together with his deputy and five other officials from the Polish Financial Supervision Authority were accused of alleged negligence while in service.
Poland > Construction Tier 3
The construction team at B2R Law Jankowski Stroinski Zieba supports public authorities, municipalities and private businesses throughout the lifecycle of projects involving transport, power and urban regeneration. Its work ranges from advising on the drafting of tender and project documentation to representing clients in dispute proceedings with subcontractors, employers, and public bodies. Kraków-based public procurement specialist Paweł Gunia leads the team alongside senior partner Rafał Zieba, who is based in Warsaw. Another key group member is of counsel and real estate lawyer Krzysztof Marzyński.
Paweł Gunia; Rafał Zięba
Other key lawyers:
Jacek Mizgier; Krzysztof Marzyński
OHL ŽS a.s. in Brno
ZUE S.A. in Cracow
Swietelsky Baugesellschaft m.b.H. in Linz
Johnson Matthey PLC
Mace Group & Mace Polska sp. z o. o.
BÖGL a KRÝSL k.s.
Drogi i Mosty Cieszyn sp. z o. o.
Gulf Energy Development Public Company Limited
Tauron Polska Energia
- Advising Johnson Matthey on its multimillion-Euro investment in a new factory for its ‘Battery Materials’ division in Konin.
- Advising a consortium comprising of OHL ŽS a.s., ZUE S.A. and Swietelsky Baugesellschaft m.b.H. regarding a significant rail modernisation project.
Poland > Private equity Tier 3B2R Law Jankowski Stroinski Zieba is best known for assisting with technology-related deals across Poland and the wider CEE region, and has a successful recent track record operating in the area of convergence between venture capital and private equity investments. Away from transactional work, the firm is also very active in the fund formation space. Rafał Stroiński - whose client base spans buyers, sellers and targets - heads up the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Aleksandra Polak; Agnieszka Hajos-Iwańska; George Havaris
‘Very good understanding of clients’ goals.’
‘Rafał Stroiński has an adaptive approach which allows for quick and effective work.’
‘Insightful and helpful. Very good understanding of legal and business matters.’
‘Aleksandra Polak and Rafał Stroiński are both are very good lawyers who I can recommenend to others.’
Barings BDC Inc.
Apis Venture sp. z o.o.
Life Science Innovation Fund
Next Road Ventures
Paine Schwartz Partners
Tar Heel Capital
- Advised US-based venture capital fund Learn Capital on its $80m Series D investment in Polish online learning platform Brainly.
- Advised Barings BDC on its multi-million dollar merger with MVC Capital.
- Advised Stability Capital on the formation of a search fund focused on Poland.
Poland > Real estate Tier 3B2R Law Jankowski Stroinski Zieba‘s real estate practice utilises the strengths of the firm’s corporate, finance, tax, and risk management groups to broaden its offering and advise on commercial real estate transactions. Of recent note is its work assisting new entrants to the Polish market. The group is led by co-founder Rafal Zieba. Other key team members include counsel Agnieszka Wojciechowska, who predominately acts for REITs, real estate funds, private equity funds, and developers, and Andrzej Zając, who acts on both the buy and sell side of transactions.
‘Good experience, availability, knowledge, and business attitude.’
‘Filip Badziak is willing to go the extra mile to make sure the client’s interests are put first.’
Eagle JVCo S.a r.l.
Skanska Residential Development Poland
Skanska Property Poland
White Star Real Estate
Icon Real Estate
Cordia Management Poland
Focus Estate Fund
Fortress REIT Fund
Bank Pekao S.A.
Milestone Student Living
Corestate Capital Group
- Advising Henley Investments on the acquisition of its first shopping centre and its entry onto the Polish real estate market with the purchase of Galeria Pestka from a global investment manager.
- Advised Wechta Nieruchomości on the sale of the Szyperska Office Center complex in Poznań.
- Advised Eagle JVCoon its acquisition of a portfolio of purpose-built student housing with around 800 beds including two development sites in Poland.
Poland > Dispute resolution Tier 4Under the guidance of founding partner Bartlomiej Jankowski, the 'problem solvers' at B2R Law Jankowski Stroinski Zieba handle a wide range of disputes - spanning corporate and commercial litigation, arbitration, criminal law and investigations - on behalf of long-standing local and international clients. Human rights cases are a niche specialism; a recent highlight involves representing a private individual following their unjustified detention during a protest against LGBT discrimination in Poland.
Other key lawyers:
Roman Iwanski; Edyta Zalewska
‘The team is very organised and focused on business needs. Problem solvers.’
‘High level focus and great at the details. Always bring desired deliverables.’
Dantex Sp. z o.o.
Wilcza Sp. K.
BEREA sp. z o. o.
EPP (Echo Polska Properties)
EPP Office – Park Rozwoju sp. z o.o.
Jastrzębska Spółka Węglowa S.A. (JSW)
BÖGL a KRÝSL k.s.
MACE Polska sp. z o. o.
MACE Polska sp. z o. o.
- Representing human rights activist Elżbieta Podleśna in a number of criminal cases instigated against her by the Prosecutor’s Office and Polish Police.
- Representing non-binary individual Julia (Krem) Miskevich, a citizen of both the United States and Poland, who was caught up in an LGBT protest.
- Representing EPP Office – Park Rozwoju in a lease termination dispute with a company from the furniture sector.
Poland > Banking and finance Tier 6B2R Law Jankowski Stroinski Zieba fields a team of corporate and banking experts, with extensive experience advising on cross-border M&A and financing deals, including secured and unsecured investment grade, leveraged, emerging market and debt transactions. Deals with a real estate element are a particular area of strength. George Havaris jointly heads up the practice with newly-promoted partner Filip Badziak.
Filip Badziak; George Havaris
‘Very professional, focused, experienced.’
‘Extremely client oriented.’
Nuveen Real Estate
Raiffeisen Bank Hungary
CIB Bank Hungary
Henley Investment Management
Arcmont Asset Management
Bank Pekao S.A.
Goldman Sachs International
B+N Referencia Zrt.
PFR – The Polish Development Fund
Accor Hotels Group
Partners for Growth
- Advising Arcmont Asset Management on multi-purpose financing for the acquisition of Bright Maze OY group, a flexible-plastic packaging group based in Finland and Poland.
- Advising Goldman Sachs International, Barclays, HSBC and NatWest Markets – as global coordinators and joint bookrunners – and HSBC and NatWest Markets – as joint bookrunners – on Boparan Finance’s £475m refinancing.
- Advising Raiffeisen Bank Hungary and CIB Bank Hungary, as lenders, on acquisition financing granted to private equity fund Luma Automation with a view to co-financing the acquisition of a Hungarian company within the same business sector.
CLIENT: Claus Trillingsgaard
TESTIMONIAL: B2RLaw has been playing an active and instrumental role in realizing our ambition to establish a strong brand equity and presence in one of the most competitive software engineering hubs in the world. Their deep insight in Polish corporate, employment, real estate and general commercial law has given us an edge in finding the right solutions from day zero. It’s a pleasure to work with empathetic, dedicated and solution-oriented professionals from a legal partner that doesn’t just point out risks, but proactively helps to address them and even turns some into opportunities.
CLIENT: Mariusz Koperek
COMPANY/FIRM: Lantmannen Unibake Poland
TESTIMONIAL: The legal advice provided by B2RLaw has been professionally performed, in a manner which corresponds to our needs and business challenges.
CLIENT: Agnieszka Gotlibowska Horszczak
COMPANY/FIRM: Canal+ Polska
TESTIMONIAL: I believe that the high standard of legal expertise provided by B2RLaw law firm is guaranteed by the broad expertise and experience of their lawyers.
CLIENT: Karolina Sulma
COMPANY/FIRM: Skanska Property Poland
TESTIMONIAL: B2RLaw’s lawyers have provided to Skanska Property Poland sp. z o.o. permanent comprehensive legal services, in particular in relation to construction, real estate law, as well as in relation to administrative proceedings. We are very pleased to have had the opportunity of cooperating with the team of B2RLaw for several years now, and we believe that the high quality of legal advice that they provide is guaranteed by the qualifications of the lawyers from their firm.
TESTIMONIAL: ‘Strong young and innovative team, hungry and keen to delivery – really impressed.’
TESTIMONIAL: ‘Very motivated team led by an experienced M&A and PE expert – Rafał Stroiński.’
TESTIMONIAL: ‘Rafał Stroiński is great with clients and has extensive experience in PE deals.’
TESTIMONIAL: ‘It is a large team with a strong early stage VC practice, litigation, real estate.’
TESTIMONIAL: ‘They are knowledgeable and practical in their approach.’
TESTIMONIAL: ‘Bartłomiej Jankowski is a leader in the dispute resolution practice of B2R Law.‘
B2RLaw’s Socially responsible
Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity and inclusion are integral to both our internal and external culture. The legal business is a business made of people, and based on relationships. Diverse relationships lay at the heart of our firm. We are open and transparent about our numbers, our targets and the initiatives we take to promote diversity and inclusion. We have set a clear target to have a partnership made up of at least 40% females by the end of 2022.
Pro Bono & The Community
Social responsibility is not just a marketing catchphrase for B2RLaw, but a mission statement that reflects our core values. Though the primary goal of our lawyers is to dedicate themselves to B2R’s business clients, we strongly encourage them to also engage in pro bono work. At B2RLaw we believe that it is our obligation to give back to the community as well as support those that are less fortunate or oppressed. B2RLaw takes great pride whenever its lawyers are recognized for pro bono work, most recently by the Polish Ombudsman.