Garrigues Chile > Santiago, Chile > Firm Profile
Garrigues Chile Offices
ISIDORA GOYENECHEA 3477
PISO 14,LAS CONDES
Garrigues Chile > The Legal 500 Rankings
Chile > Banking and finance Tier 2With a strong roster of financial institution clients as well as concessionaires and project companies, Garrigues Chile's 12-strong practice handles a broad range of banking and finance work. Recent highlights include advising on the acquisition of receivables, syndicated project financing, lender-side restructuring, acquisition finance, and corporate lending. Heading up the group, Pedro García has some 20 years’ experience advising on financing, capital markets and projects. Also integral to the team, Jaime de Larraechea's practice encompasses corporate loans, project and structured finance, debt restructuring and regulatory matters. Raised to the partnership in January 2021, Antonio Morales focuses primarily on debt restructuring and project finance; while senior associate Federico Espinosa and associate María Francisca Correa are both on hand for matters involving corporate loans and project finance. Former senior associate Francisca Ferrer left for an in house role at Prime Energía in May 2021.
Banco de Chile
Banco del Estado de Chile
Central Bank of Chile
Empresa Nacional del Petróleo
Sociedad Concesionaria Ruta Nahuelbuta
Sociedad Concesionaria Teleférico Bicentenario
- Advised Citibank, The Bank of Nova Scotia, BNP Paribas and Banco de Chile on a $340m financing granted to Glacier AcquisitionCo to acquire approximately 49% of Chile Renovables.
- Advised Arroyo Energy and its investment vehicle Inversiones Arco 4 (as borrowers) on a $335m loan, granted by a syndicate of international and domestic lenders to finance the acquisition of Gasmar.
- Advised a syndicate of banks, led by Itaú Corpbanca, on a $135m project financing loan which was granted to Sociedad Concesionaria del Norte to finance the construction of an access road for Minera Escondida.
Chile > Capital markets Tier 2Garrigues Chile's 12-strong finance law and capital markets practice (including three partners), is regularly involved in significant bond issuances in Chile and abroad. Heading up the group, Pedro García's expertise encompasses debt securities (international and domestic), along with equities, liability management, debt restructuring, derivatives and regulatory matters. He is flanked by fellow partners, José Miguel Rioseco, who heads up the investment funds sub-practice and has longstanding experience in capital markets; and financing, M&A and capital markets expert, Jaime de Larraechea. At senior associate level, Daniel Hernández's practice includes financial markets regulation and capital markets transactions. Maria Fernanda Jara left the firm in July 2021 to pursue her LLM.
Itaú BBA Securities
Empresa Nacional del Petróleo
A3 Property Investments
- Advised BNP Paribas, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Banco Santander, Scotiabank, BNP Paribas, as initial purchasers, on two 2021 sovereign-bond issuances by the Republic of Chile with an aggregate value of $9.8bn.
- Advised Scotia Capital, Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan, as initial purchasers, on Interchile’s $1.2bn notes issuance.
- Advised BNP Paribas, JP Morgan and Scotia Capital, as underwriters and initial purchasers, on Empresa Nacional de Telecomunicaciones’ $800m notes issuance.
Chile > Real estate Tier 2With ‘vast knowledge of real estate law, both at technical and practical levels‘, Garrigues Chile‘s nine-strong practice houses specialists in office, residential, commercial and multi-use projects; and clients benefit from full-cycle support during the development of projects, including assistance with financing, tax structuring, regulatory analysis and compliance issues, as well as acquisition, development, construction, sale, and leasing aspects. The longstanding real estate expertise of practice leader José Miguel Rioseco covers both finance and development work, with additional partner-level support is provided by Luis Eduardo Correa, who divides his time between real estate and corporate law matters. At associate level, principal Eduardo Tirado, who assists with the acquisition and sale of real estate companies and projects, was hired from Barros & Errázuriz in November 2021; while senior María Cecilia Morandé is a real estate regulatory expert.
José Miguel Rioseco
‘An excellent team with a lot of knowledge of Chile’s legal and commercial sectors.‘
‘Quick responses from very involved lawyers.‘
‘A lot of knowledge and commitment.‘
‘The team stands out in real estate matters, with a strong team at reasonable fees.‘
‘The lawyers have extensive knowledge and experience, acting proactively by sending information to us that may be relevant to our organisation and the projects being carried out.‘
‘The team is courteous, skilful, and provides timely information – flexible with meetings, adjusting to clients’ needs and providing excellent service.‘
‘Vast knowledge of real estate law, both at technical and practical levels. The partner to highlight is José Miguel Rioseco.‘
Sura Investment Management
Credit Suisse Asset Management
Compañía Sudamericana de Vapores
Grupo Loga – Servicios Profesionales Loga
Agrícola San Joaquín del Oliveto
LV- Patio Renta Inmobiliaria VIII
Scala Chile Data Centers
BTG Pactual – Aconcagua
Inversiones Nyar II
Situ Gestión Inmobiliaria
- Acted as co-counsel to LV – Patio Renta Inmobiliaria VIII on the acquisition of a stake in a multi-use (hotel, office and convention centre) real estate development project .
- Advised Inmobiliaria JY on the $36m sale of units in a Class A office building.
- Advised Rentas Artes Seis, a special purpose vehicle of Sura Investment Management, on the acquisition of a rental parking portfolio.
Chile > Corporate and M&A Tier 3Demonstrating particular experience in the energy, telecoms, real estate and private equity sectors, Garrigues Chile's corporate lawyers ‘go the extra mile for clients', and are experts in corporate law, domestic and cross-border M&A, governance and finance. The group is also highly active in corporate reorganisations and joint venture transactions. The department is led by Luis Felipe Merino, whose recent caseload includes deals in the energy and retail sectors; with additional partner level input involvement from Rodrigo Fernández (who has ‘solid legal knowledge and business world experience'); Jaime de Larraechea, a telecoms and infrastructure deal specialist; and energy and corporate law expert Cristóbal Fainé. The senior associate to note, Constanza Velásquez, focuses on M&A, commercial law, and real estate matters.
Luis Felipe Merino
‘Garrigues is a firm in constant evolution, not only for the variety of professionals and extreme coverage of a wide variety of topics, but also for technological aspects, which were essential during the pandemic.’
‘A solid combination of team members that go the extra mile for clients and possess a complementary set of skills that can cover all aspects of the transaction value chain.‘
‘The Garrigues team stands out for its solidity, professionalism and dedication. The development of the project on which we worked together with Garrigues involved great skill and negotiation tactics to reach its conclusion.‘
‘Rodrigo Fernández has become an integral part of our corporate management team, accompanying and advising the group’s board of directors via his solid legal knowledge and business world experience.‘
‘The standout partner is Rodrigo Fernández, who is upfront and transparent in terms of approach to transactions and risk evaluation.‘
‘Rodrigo Fernández and Cristóbal Fainé stood out for their experience, knowledge and total dedication to the project.‘
Rentas Patio X
Bemobi Mobile Tech
- Advised Arroyo Energy and Arroyo Energy Investment Partners on their successful bid in the competitive process to acquire Chilean petroleum-liquid-gas storage facility company, Gasmar; value: $422.5m.
- Advised L-Catterton on a $235m Round D investment to acquire shares of NotCo, the parent company of Chilean food-tech entity, The Not Company.
- Advised Nala Renewables on its acquisition of a portfolio of solar projects in Chile from Solek.
Mónica van der Schraft
‘Garrigues’ practice is based on having lawyers who are very detailed in their review of technical arbitration issues.‘
‘The lawyers do not leave anything undone, and maintain a good relationship with all parties on a constant basis.‘
‘Solid knowledge and experience in arbitration matters, with top-level associates who get deeply involved in cases, gaining a thorough understanding of the issues being addressed. Dedicated and always attentive to clients’ requirements.‘
‘Garrigues gave us very good advice during the first stage of voluntary talks between the parties.‘
‘Garrigues is undoubtedly a great law firm in Chile. Our experience of working with its lawyers is that they have great professionalism, dedication to the cases, a thorough understanding of the events that occur and a broad spirit of collaboration, all of which facilitate the achievement of the objectives. I would also highlight that the firm has a high degree of knowledge of our industry, which allows it to handle cases properly.‘
‘Monica Van der Schraft is a highly experienced lawyer and arbitrator, who has a very affable, thoughtful, courteous attitude, and (most importantly) in-depth knowledge of the processes, as well as the different types of cases that are faced.‘
‘Mónica Van der Schraft and senior associate José Joaquín Verdugo form a great work team, are always willing to help, and they have a lot of knowledge about their profession.‘
‘Mónica Van der Schraft and José Joaquín Verdugo are very knowledgeable, passionate about what they do, dedicated and open to listening to clients’ concerns. They know a lot about different subjects – in particular, I have worked with them on issues involving construction contract disputes where they demonstrated a broad command of the subject.‘
Luis Felipe Merino
Empresa Eléctrica Puente Alto
- Advised GTD Intesis on the implementation of a power service to allow clients to install and operate solar panels to produce their own power supply and inject surplus energy into the distribution grid.
- Advised a consortium (Nala Renewables, Korkia and Moon Valley Capital) on the acquisition of a portfolio of PMGD projects from Solek Group.
- Advised Arroyo Energy on the acquisition of Gasmar (a large LPG terminal on the South American Pacific coast) from Empresas Gasco and Empresas Copec.
Pedro García; Claudio Moraga
‘Great administrative law expertise with depth in infrastructure and construction concession contracts, and solid experience in claims with builders and the Administration.‘
‘Good knowledge of both public law and commercial law, with the ability to analyse and search for solutions to the difficulties that arise in this industry.‘
‘Demonstrates high levels of availability and easy access for troubleshooting.‘
‘Lawyers who are very willing to seek alternative solutions to problems, in addition to delivering speedy responses.‘
‘Absolutely compares favourably with other firms’ teams. The experience of of counsel Claudio Moraga positions them at a higher level than the rest of the law firms in the market.‘
‘The presence of Claudio Moraga equates to provision of legal advice that is difficult to match. From my point of view, he is the most reputable lawyer in administrative law, specifically the laws and regulations associated with infrastructure concession projects in Chile. Having him is a competitive advantage and he has great personal qualities which mean clients have very comfortable relationships with Garrigues.‘
Arroyo Energy Partners
EFE (Empresa de los Ferrocarriles del Estado)
Sociedad Concesionaria Runa Nahuelbuta
Sociedad Concesionaria Ruta del Algarrobo
Sociedad Concesionaria Teleférico Bicentenario
The Bank of Nova Scotia
- Advised a syndicate of banks (led by Itaú Corpbanca) on a $135m project financing loan that was granted to Sociedad Concesionaria del Norte to finance the construction of a new mining road.
- Advising Parque Eólico El Arrayán on the negotiation of a long-term O&M contract with Siemens Gamesa for the operation and maintenance of a wind farm.
- Advised Banco de Crédito e Inversiones, BNP, Paribas DNB Bank and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on a $200m financing for Fontus Prime Solar to continue the construction of solar power plants in Chile.
Chile > Tax Tier 3Garrigues Chile‘s tax practice consistently works in conjunction with the labour, corporate, banking, finance and projects teams from the firm’s international network on deal-related tax structures. The group also assists with tax litigation and private client matters, and real estate issues involving VAT and income tax. The practice is led by tax planning and tax litigation specialist Oscar Ferrari , while counsel Sebastián Ferrer Del Valle focuses on the tax planning of corporate structures and M&A deals, and tax litigation. Also on hand are senior associates María Jesús Hidalgo Larraín , who is experienced in corporate, local and international tax, and restructuring-related taxation; and tax litigator Juan Pablo Obaid .
Arroyo Energy Investments
- Advised BNP Paribas, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Banco Santander, Scotiabank and BNP Paribas, as initial purchasers of the Republic of Chile’s issuance of two series of notes in Euros and three series in US dollars, which required tax assistance.
- Advising Arroyo Energy on the tax planning for its acquisition of Gasmar.
Mónica van der Schraft
‘A team that accompanies clients throughout the process, explaining all the different stages and keeping clients informed.‘
‘At Garrigues, I found a committed litigation group that is extremely professional and with the highest ethical standards.‘
‘A very strong team, with creative solutions to problems.‘
‘This young team, led by the always clear and measured Monica Van der Schaft, has been fundamental in our search for solutions.‘
‘Principal associate Cristóbal Sarralde is very attentive and diligent.‘
‘Senior associate José Joaquín Verdugo explains things very clearly, prepares clients, and keeps them very informed – excellent command of English.‘
‘José Joaquín Verdugo is extremely professional and diligent.‘
Chile > Public law Tier 4Led by of counsel and public law and administrative law specialist, Claudio Moraga, Garrigues Chile's practice routinely advises concessionaire companies on concession contracts with the Ministry of Public Works. It also assists clients with public tenders and the implementation of public-private partnerships in the toll roads, telecoms, public transport and airports sectors. The team additionally represents clients in administrative proceedings and litigation with public bodies. Key support is provided by principal associate Sebastián Hassi, who advises on public tenders, administrative sanctions and administrative procedures; and senior associate Francisco Irarrázaval, who assists with energy and natural resources-related administrative law matters.
Rutas del Loa
Ruta del Maule Sociedad Concesionaria
Ruta del Bosque Sociedad Concesionaria
Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María
Ruta de la Araucanía Sociedad Concesionaria
Ruta de los Ríos Sociedad Concesionaria
- Assisting GTD Intesis with its participation in several different public tenders, as well as the subsequent performance of the public procurement contract.
- Advising Intervial on the development of a private initiative for an 86km highway, which included advising on the process with the Ministry of Public Works.
- Assisted Ruta del Maule Sociedad Concesionaria with the organisation of a private tender to select a construction company for a contract for works for the Talca-Chillán section of Ruta 5 Sur.
Garrigues Chile > Firm Profile
Garrigues Chile offers expert multidisciplinary advice, providing support to both local clients and international investors on entering and pursuing their business activities in the Chilean market. Over the last months, Garrigues’ immediate positioning as one of the leading firms in Chile has been clear, having advised on some of the highest level projects and matters, and acted as legal counsel to top-tier international and domestic clients, who are industry leaders in Latin America.
Garrigues’ team in Chile now comprises 40 professionals, all highly respected in the local legal services market and with extensive expertise in the area of international investment.
The firm has five offices in Santiago de Chile, Bogota, Lima, Mexico City and Sao Paulo. Garrigues has the largest network of own offices in the region among the major European law firms. It also has its own offices in Spain (in 18 cities), Belgium, China (Beijing and Shanghai), Portugal, Poland, Morocco, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Luis Felipe Merino – partner: he specializes in corporate law and in mergers and acquisitions, providing recurring advice on cross-border deals to foreign clients investing in Chile and to local clients investing abroad. He also has broad expertise in advising energy companies on the development of electricity generation projects, using both conventional and renewable energy sources.
Oscar Ferrari – partner: he mainly focuses on providing tax advice to a range of Chilean and foreign clients on the development of their businesses or projects in Chile and abroad, and on corporate and asset restructuring processes, mergers, acquisitions, project finance and tax litigation, in both the administrative (before the Chilean Internal Revenue Service) and judicial (before the Tax and Customs Courts, Appeal Courts and Supreme Court) jurisdictions. He also has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, corporate law and foreign investment.
Pedro Garcia – partner: he specializes in capital markets and banking and finance, providing recurring advice to both local and international financial institutions in complex and cross-border financial transactions. He is also very experienced in providing advice in infrastructure and energy projects, both to developers and lenders.
|Financing, capital markets||Pedro Garcíafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate, M&A||Luis Felipe Merinoemail@example.com|
|Corporate, M&A||Rodrigo Fernándezfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Litigation and arbitration||Mónica Van der Schraftemail@example.com|
|Real estate||José Miguel Riosecofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Real estate||Luis Eduardo Correaemail@example.com|
|Energy||Luis Felipe Merinofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Corporate governance||Alberto Etchegarayemail@example.com|
Staff FiguresOther fee-earners : 30 Total staff : 48
OtherPartners : 8
- Corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity and hydrocarbon
- Projects and infrastructure
- Colombia > Competition and antitrust