Vukmir & Associates > Zagreb, Croatia > Firm Profile
Vukmir & Associates Offices
Vukmir & Associates > The Legal 500 RankingsVukmir & Associates‘ business strategy, in spite of the firm’s successful expansion into broader corporate, commercial and litigation activity. Indeed, the firm has the edge over its competitors by dint of its “first mover advantage” (the firm has been focused on work in the space for over 25 years), as well as its ability to resource matters across the waterfront of contentious and non-contentious work with true experts in the field. A doyen of the IP ecosystem in Croatia, Mladen Vukmir is recognised as ‘a well-known visionary in the field of IP’ and not only continues to attract a substantial amount of trade mark enforcement and prosecution work but is also an inspirational figure for younger members of the team to learn from. Carla Biancotti, who is ‘dedicated to details as well as the overall picture’, also has many years’ experience in the field and heads up both the IP filing department and the firm’s Italian desk. Mirjana Jurišić co-heads the overarching IP team alongside Biancotti and Vukmir and excels in advising clients on copyright protection and complicated patent litigation. At a more junior level, Ivan Ćuk has successfully carved out a niche counselling clients in relation to the protection of designations of origin and geographical indications; senior associate Aleksander Bijelic is ‘well-versed in trade mark and patent matters’; and associate Lidija Gepert excels at handling domain name disputes.
Mladen Vukmir; Carla Biancotti; Mirjana Jurisic
Other key lawyers:
‘They are probably the best IP law firm in Croatia. Extremely professional, knowledgeable and easy to work with.’
‘Carla Biancotti is a great team leader dedicated to details as well as the overall picture.’
‘Mladen Vukmir is a well-known visionary in the field of IP and widely respected for IP in Croatia and internationally.’
‘Aleksandar Bijelić is a great attorney who is well-versed in trade mark and patent matters.’
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
Pliva Hrvatska d.o.o.
Mars Incorporated Republic of Croatia, Ministry of Agriculture, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
HUZIP – Croatian Performers’ Rights Collecting Society
Jamnica plus d.o.o
The North Face Apparel Corp.
Johnson & Johnson
Nike Innovate C.V.
Reebok International ltd
TOP SPORT EVENTS d.o.o.
INETEC – Institute for Nuclear Technology
MicroBlink / Photomath
PAO Gazprom neft.
Metamorfoza d.o.o. (Museum of Illusions)
Carpmales & Ransford
- Represents one of the ex-partners that previously jointly organised the cycling event TOUR OF CROATIA. The litigation involves trade mark invalidity actions and a trade mark opposition on various grounds, in particular bad faith and the misleading of competent institutions.
- Advising a leading furniture manufacturer in Croatia during the rebranding process, which involves assistance with numerous trade marks and design applications in Croatia, Slovenia, North Macedonia and on the European Union level.
- Assisted Super Sport (a market-leader betting and gambling company) with devising and implementing its IP strategy, which among others resulted in the successful registration of 28 new trade marks.
Sanja Tkalec Kovač; Ivan Ćuk; Tomislav Pedišić
Other key lawyers:
‘All partners are enthusiastic, open and engaged.’
‘They are very responsive.’
‘Sanja Tkalec Kovač displays professional acumen, courtesy and strong ethics.’
International Finance Corporation
State Street Bank and Trust Company
The Bank of New York Mellon
JP Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.
The Northern Trust Company
BKS Bank AG
Royal Bank of Canada
BNP Paribas Securities Services
Zagrebačka banka d.d. (part of Unicredit group)
UniCredit Bank AG
Member of UniCredit)
OTP Insurance (earlier Société Générale Insurance)
Brown Brothers Harriman & Co
BNP Paribas Wealth Management
- Advised the largest bank in Croatia on the introduction of novelty products on the Croatian market – commodity swaps and commodity options.
- Advised a major Austrian bank in relation to a €35m debt restructuring for one of the largest construction companies in Croatia.
- Advised BNY Mellon on the permissibility of particular FX transactions that the client, as custodian of cash and securities owned by various customers, will be entering into in Croatia.
Sanja Tkalec Kovač
‘The experienced team is knowledgeable and dedicated, providing solutions-oriented advice.’
‘They have a great understanding of US and Croatian laws and vast experience in international transactions.’
‘Sanja Tkalec Kovač is dynamic and reactive, solutions-oriented and pragmatic, and always keeps her calm and kind composure.’
‘The exceptional Sanja Tkalec Kovač has vast knowledge of handling M&A transactions.’
Merck & Co, Inc. / Merck Sharp & Dohme (MSD)
Zagrebačka banka d.d. (UniCredit Group)
Microblink / Photomath
Procter & Gamble
PAYBACK Austria GmbH (American Express Group)
Hewlett-Packard Enterprise operated by SELECTIUM
Erste & Steiermarkische banka d.d.
Alfred Kärcher SE & Co. KG
Groupama Osiguranje d.d.
- Provided Croatian law advice to the French energy giant ENGIE in relation to the demerger of ENGIE’s construction and services business in the CEE region and subsequent sale of the same to French conglomerate Bouygues in a €7.1bn deal.
- Acting in co-operation with one of the “Big Four”, the firm advised a major banking group from Italy in relation to the demerger and sale of part of their payment services business in Croatia to an Italian PayTech company.
- Advised Indian multinational OYO Rooms on a €5.5m acquisition of the Croatian vacation rental platform DIRECT BOOKER.
Croatia > Dispute resolution Tier 2Leveraging its position as ‘the best IP law firm in Croatia’, unsurprisingly Vukmir & Associates continues to mine a fertile seam of disputes work in the space, including on trade mark, copyright and patent disputes, as well as domain name and geographical indication litigation. Mladen Vukmir has been a pioneer in relation to the use of ADR techniques in Croatia, and as well as his fee-earning work in the field, his expertise is also acknowledged by his frequent appointment as an arbitrator. The firm has also effectively broadened the scope of its litigation capability and is regularly engaged in banking, corporate and employment disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Mladen Vukmir; Ivan Cuk; Lidija Gepert;
‘Throughout the engagement (and even afterwards) I feel I have full confidence in my team at Vukmir and Associates. We collaborated and brainstormed together on the various angles of arguments. At the end, I relied upon them to articulate it in a concise and persuasive manner before the arbitrator.’
Procter & Gamble
IFC (International Finance Corporation)
HUZIP (Croatian Performers’ Rights Collecting Society)
GE Power (Switzerland)
The Republic of Croatia
Doosan Skoda Power
Renault s.a.s. / Dacia s.a.
Museum of Illusions
- Representing a major Hungarian food manufacturer in a dispute involving cancellation and invalidation procedures before the Croatian IP Office and the EUIPO against the Dutch food conglomerate.
- Successfully represented a German client in a cross-border case of enforcement of a decision of the German court on arrest of a yacht located in a Croatian marina and collection of a claim through sale of the yacht.
- Successfully represented one of the leading Croatian yacht charter companies in an UDRP arbitration before the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre regarding the right to use a .com domain name.
Vukmir & Associates > Firm Profile
The firm: Vukmir & Associates believes that lawyers need to be innovative and creative to serve clients who operate in an increasingly complex market.
For over 20 years the firm has staked its claim to cutting-edge services by remaining flexible and responsive. Yet it cleaves to high ethical standards and credibility as its ground. Clients finds the firm easy to speak with, alert to changing needs, and happy about what it does.
Located in residential Zagreb, Croatia’s capital, it is an independent full-service business law firm advising clients such as corporations, financial institutions and law firms worldwide and regionally. In response to demand for creative and beneficial alternatives to litigation, it has championed advanced dispute resolution. Continuously exploring the frontier of IP and IA concerns and their relation to business strategy, it has formed strategic IP consultancy modules for growth-oriented firms.
Areas of practice: For over 20 years, Vukmir & Associates has been perceived as the country’s leading IP & IT law firm, offering the deepest and broadest coverage across transactional, advisory and litigation-related matters.
Concurrently, the firm has developed a strong practice in other areas as well, including banking, finance and capital markets; corporate and M&A; energy and construction; commercial law; employment and immigration; as well as real estate. In all these areas, the firm practice groups have been and continues to be the choice for leading multinational corporations, financial institutions and law firms.
The firm is particularly devoted to providing of excellent services, irrespective of the complexity of its tasks. The professional team of 15 lawyers seeking to deliver comprehensive, timely and structured legal assistance. The firm’s administrative team, which includes professional and reliable patent engineers, trademark agents and IP paralegals, totals 11 individuals, supporting the legal team in order to ensure that the firm’s services are rendered in the most efficient manner.
The firm’s attorneys are affiliated with several international associations and developed a valuable professional network globally.
|Banking, finance and capital markets||Sanja Tkalec Kovac|
|Banking, finance and capital markets||Ivan Cuk|
|Banking, finance and capital markets||Tomislav Pedišic|
|Commercial, corporate and M&A||Sanja Tkalec Kovac|
|Commercial, corporate and M&A||Tomislav Pedišic|
|Commercial, corporate and M&A||Ivan Cuk|
|Commercial, corporate and M&A||Petra Prkačin|
|Commercial, corporate and M&A||Tea Cerinski|
|Privatisation, projects and energy||Sanja Tkalec Kovac|
|Privatisation, projects and energy||Ivan Cuk|
|Real estate and construction||Sanja Tkalec Kovac|
|Real estate and construction||Ivan Cuk|
|Real estate and construction||Lidija Gepert|
|Intellectual property||Mladen Vukmir|
|Intellectual property||Aleksandar Bijelic|
|Intellectual property||Carla Biancotti|
|Intellectual property||Mirjana Jurišic|
|Intellectual property||Andrea Kožul Pedišic|
|Dispute resolution||Mladen Vukmir|
|Dispute resolution||Ivan Cuk|
|Dispute resolution||Sanja Tkalec Kovac|
|Dispute resolution||Tomislav Pedišic|
|Dispute resolution||Mirjana Jurišic|
|Dispute resolution||Petra Prkačin|
|EU and competition||Sanja Tkalec Kovac|
|TMT (technology, media and telecoms)||Tomislav Pedišic|
|TMT (technology, media and telecoms)||Andrea Kožul Pedišic|
|TMT (technology, media and telecoms)||Tea Cerinski|
|Insolvency and corporate recovery||Sanja Tkalec Kovac|
|TMT (technology, media and telecoms)||Mirjana Jurišic|
|Insolvency and corporate recovery||Ivan Ćuk|
|Employment||Sanja Tkalec Kovac|
|Risk advisory||Tomislav Pedišić|
|Risk advisory||Andrea Kožul Pedišić|
|Risk advisory||Tea Cerinski|
|Risk advisory||Petra Prkačin|
|TMT (technology, media and telecoms)||Tin Kolenko|