Sarantitis > Athens, Greece > Firm Profile
9 ANAGNOSTOPOULOU STREET
106 73 ATHENS
Sarantitis > The Legal 500 RankingsSarantitis advises clients in a multitude of industries, including military and defence, media and telecoms, and its client roster ranges from international enterprises such as Schlumberger to major local companies. In addition to M&A, the team assists with large corporate restructurings, including debt purchases and conversions to equity schemes, and management reorganisations. The practice is led by managing partner Dorotheos Samoladas, who is well versed in corporate, M&A and restructuring matters. Other notable contacts include senior associate Antonis Katsigiannis, who has expertise in the TMT sector.
Other key lawyers:
Alexandros Metaxas; Dionysia Gamvrakis; Dolly Kostara; Terina Raptis; Antonis Katsigiannis
‘The team did a wonderful and fast job of conducting due diligence.’
‘Terina Raptis and Antonis Katsigiannis understood the transaction and always kept their comments, reviews and interventions very pragmatic and objective, allowing the transaction to move forward swiftly.’
‘The team are diligent and are very careful when they provide advice. They have a business-minded approach coupled with legal expertise.’
Majority shareholders in Data Communication S.A.
Shareholders of Wind Shape Ltd
Sarmed Warehouses S.A.
Virtus International Partners
M.J Maillis S.A
Zim Hellas SA
Sarmed Logistics Single Member S.A.
PCCW Global Group of Companies
- Advised Virtus International Partners on the acquisition of a 51% stake in ESM Effervescent Sodas Management Ltd (Cyprus), a parent of Three Cents Limited (UK).
- Advised Powerbrook S.A. on the sale of its stake in CHL S.A..
- Advised the sole shareholder of Sentrade Group on the sale of all its participations in Sentrade Group.
Greece > Dispute resolution Tier 2The practice at Sarantitis regularly oversees an extensive range of litigation, including civil, commercial, employment, real estate, banking and criminal cases. It represents clients before courts of all instances, advising both domestic and international players such as HSBC Private Bank and the Special Administrator of the Hellenic Shipyards. Theodora Monochartzis leads the practice, supporting the team with her experience in banking and civil litigation. Other notable individuals include Gregory Vlachos and Dionysis Kazaglis.
Other key lawyers:
ENAE (Hellenic Shipyards)
HSBC Bank plc – Greek Branch
HSBC Private Bank Suisse S.A.
Allianz Global Corporate & Speciality AG
Rembrandt Insurance Company Limited
Sun Alliance Insurance Plc
- Represented the Special Administrator of the Hellenic Shipyards in litigation proceedings amounting to over €250m.
- Represented HSBC SA in claims amounting to €611,000 relating to data that was allegedly illegally provided by a former employee of the bank.
- Represented various clients in a marine insurance-related case relating to the loss of the Alexandros T vessel, involving proceedings both in Greece and the UK.
Greece > Employment Tier 2The practice at Sarantitis is led by Theodora Monochartzis, who possesses strong litigation skills, with a primary focus on employment matters. The firm acts for a great deal of clients, with many appointing the firm as their permanent adviser, including Diageo Hellas - which the team advises on contractual relationships, the termination of employment relationships and dispute resolution - and SAEMED - which the team assists with reviewing and modifying employment agreements, day-to-day employment matters and terminations. Further notable work includes its advice to Anodyne Nanotech, a biotech corporation developing differentiated, transdermal forms of high-value drugs, on the drafting of employee proprietary information and invention assignment agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘An exceptionally knowledgeable team, dedicated to client service, very responsive and always professional. They have a longstanding partner base delivering credibility and outstanding practical experience with an excellent reputation.’
‘I have worked primarily with Theodora Monochartzis; she is a fantastic lawyer who always goes the extra distance for her client. Her credentials, work experience, and work ethic are impeccable. She is flexible and approachable, and has become an indispensable trusted adviser.’
‘Theodora Monochartzis and Terina Raptis provide advice not only on matters of contractual relationships and the operation of employment contracts of our company but also on complex litigation issues. They are very efficient, responsive, have a deep knowledge of all aspects of the relevant legal matters, including the commercial ones, and their potential implications, and always provide a thorough analysis on all issues.’
‘Theodora Monochartzis and Terina Raptis discuss the matter in depth and understand our specific needs for each specific case. They further analyse the possible solutions and risks related to each decision of the company.’
Diageo Hellas S.A.
Maillis International SA – Maillis Group of Companies
Shipping Agents Union – International Maritime Union – D.N.E.
Embassy of Norway in Athens, Greece
Danish Embassy in Athens, Greece
PCCW Global (Hellas) S.A.
- Advised Diageo Hellas S.A. on all the employment matters of the Greek subsidiary.
- Advised Maillis International S.A. on all the management and senior executive employment relationships of the companies of the group.
- Advised Neptune Lines Shipping & Managing Enterprises S.A. on matters of termination of specific employment contracts and the application of specific collective employment agreements to the employment relationships of the company.
Alexandros Athanassiou; Gregory Vlachos
‘The firm has a sophisticated yet simple approach to real estate and construction matters for both individuals and businesses. Clients have easy access to partners and seniors to receive valuable advice in a cost-effective and transparent manner.’
‘The firm is working on a single point of contact basis. Therefore, although the client is working under the support of a team of experts, they have the simplicity to talk with one only member of the team.’
‘We have worked with the Real Estate and Construction team at Sarantitis for years and the firm’s core expertise in this field is spread across all forms of leasing, title ownership, sale and purchase of land and plot development and we feel confident that they are looking out for our interests.’
Hildegard A. Hoevel/ Law Firm Hoevel and Colleagues
ENA OKTO S.A.
Charamida Investments Group
Yamamay Hellas S.A.
Maria Jose Jarur Rescaglio
- Advised Hildegard A. Hoevel on a matter of “international bankruptcy” and assisted the bankrupt administrator in the disposal of the real estate property located in Greece, owned by a deceased individual, who was declared bankrupt.
- Advised Yamamay S.A. on the lockdown legislation adopted in view of Covid-19 pandemic in relation to the commercial leases, in which the Company is a party.
- Advised Charamida Investment Group in a project of the development of a plot of buildings in the Athenian Riviera, with an approximate value of €2.5m.
Greece > Energy Tier 3Sarantitis has a significant foothold in the energy and natural resource sector, with a notable strength in renewables. Recent work included advising Sentrade Strategic Energy Trading Energean on the supply, distribution and trading of electricity, as well as the trading of options on greenhouse gas emissions. Theodora Monochartzis leads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Gregory Vlachos; Maria Avgidou
Union of Greek Electricity Traders
DG ENER (Directorate General for Energy of the European Commission)
Alpiq Energy SE
Alpiq Energy Hellas SA
EDL Hellas Ltd
Sentrade (Strategic Energy Trading Energean S.A.)
- Advised PETROGAZ SA on an agreement for the rendering of highly specialized legal services to Petrogaz in the field of energy trading and supply and provided services.
- Advised EDL Hellas on matters arising from the forming of a consortium for the ‘Installation for the operation of Biogas in Ano Liossia Landfill Site aiming to the Production of Electric and Thermal Energy’.
- Advised Union of Greek Electricity Traders on all legal matters arising from the operation of the Union of Greek Electricity Traders.
Greece > Shipping finance Tier 3Sarantitis has significant expertise within ship and yacht finance, regularly advising both domestic and international shipping companies, Greek financial institutions and maritime service providers. Its expertise is evidenced through its recent advice to Piraeus Bank in relation to the financing of an Athens-based group in the context of an acquisition of a second-hand bulk carrier. Eleni Papakostas leads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Alexandros Metaxas; George Dedes; Leonidas Panagopoulos; Angeliki Agrimaki
‘The firm has attorneys experienced in legal aspects of shipping matters, including sale and purchase of ships, charter party agreements, and corporate formation and record keeping. The firm expeditiously cooperates and coordinates with flag state authorities and corporate and ship registries, obtains legalization and apostille of documents, and smoothly navigates the at-times labyrinthian procedures and requirements of Hellenic government agencies.’
‘The personal and friendly nature with which the company’s staff, including Eleni Papakostas, Angeliki Agrimaki, interacts with us, is equally appreciated along with their expertise.’
‘Experience; commercial sense; fast turnover.’
‘They are professional, they know our needs, they know when to raise the red flag and they know when to push back the other side.’
Chronos Shipping Co. Ltd.
Zim Hellas S.A.
Cuma Shipmanagement Ltd.
Piraeus Bank S.A.
Niovis Shipping Co. S.A.
Neptune Dry Holding Company
Union of Shipping Agents of Regular International Lines
Tri Bulk Shipping Ltd.
- Advised Piraeus Bank on the financing of several shipping groups for the acquisition of vessels and in the refinancing of such acquisitions.
- Advised Chronos Shipping Group on legal issues relating to the purchase of a second-hand vessel and her registration under the Panama flag and the sale of a number of the group’s vessels to various international shipping companies.
- Advised Niovis Shipping Group on legal issues relating to the purchase of new building vessels and partially financing their acquisitions.
Greece > TMT Tier 3Sarantitis is entrusted by a range of telecommunication providers on both contentious and non-contentious matters. Data protection work is a key area of strength, with the firm advising local and international clients on EU and Greek privacy law compliance. The practice is led by senior associate Antonis Katsigiannis. Notable work highlights included advising Verizon Media on the launch of a TechCrunch subscription service.
Other key lawyers:
‘Availability and good communication skills’
‘Relate to the customer’s requests; friendly approach; efficient.’
‘The team is always very knowledgeable and responsive to any of our requests. Their advice has been extremely helpful.’
‘The team replies to all inquiries and always makes us feel like the priority. They go beyond what is expected and consistently ensure our business is getting the best advice.’
Data Communication S.A.
Greek Atomic Energy Commission (EEAE)
PCCW Global (Hellas) S.A.
Crypteia Networks S.A.
- Advised the majority shareholders at Data Communication S.A., on the sale of their majority stake to Epsilon Net S.A.
- Advised Maillis Group on the implementation of a full-scale review and update of the Group’s privacy policies and procedures for compliance with GDPR.
- Advised the Greek Atomic Energy Commission on GDPR compliance and assisted the agency with the launch of a mobile application.
Other key lawyers:
Theodora Monochartzis; Dolly Kostara; Eleni Papakosta; George Dedes; Antonis Katsigiannis
‘Excellent team with a very good name in the market.’
‘Eleni Papakosta is a highly qualified expert who provides solid support in relation to any request.’
HSBC Private Bank (Suisse) S.A.
HSBC Bank PLC – Greek Branch
HSBC France – Greek Branch
Piraeus Bank S.A., Athens Headquarters
DMG Mori Finance
Factofrance (through Dentons Europe)
- Represented the Greek branch of HSBC Bank in litigation before the Greek courts relating to investments made in bonds issued by SNS Bank before its nationalisation by the Dutch government.
- Advised UBS AG on various issues relating to Greek banking and investment law.
- Represented the Greek branch of HSBC France in litigation deriving from investments in Greek bonds.
Greece > EU and competition Tier 4Sarantitis regularly represents clients before the Greek Competition Commission, Greek administrative courts and the European Commission in cases pertaining to competition, merger control and state aid. It also regularly assists clients with the drafting of distribution and agency agreements. Terina Raptis heads up the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘Theodora Monochartzis and Terina Raptis are very efficient, responsive, have a deep knowledge of all aspects of the relevant legal matters and their potential implications and always provide thorough analysis on all issues. Their advice is always adjusted to the corporate needs and requirements of the company.’
The under Special Administration Hellenic Shipyards S.A. (HSY)
Majority Shareholders in Data Communication S.A.
M.J. Maillis S.A.
Yama Hellas S.A.
- Advised M.J Maillis S.A. on its termination of its distribution agreement in Italy, including a waiver by the distributor of all past claims regarding goodwill indemnity and commissions to the amount of €2.5m.
- Advised Yama Hellas S.A. on the conclusion of an exclusive distribution agreement for Greece.
Sarantitis > Firm Profile
The firm: Sarantitis is one of the leading business law firms in Greece, representing Greek and foreign corporate clients, financial institutions and individual clients in complex commercial transactions, as well as in all types of litigation before the Greek courts and arbitration tribunals.
Areas of practice: From its head office in Athens, Sarantitis’ corporate and commercial practice advises on the full spectrum of business law, from general corporate representation to important M&A transactions, including restructuring of distressed targets and privatisation projects in the Greek public sector or in other Balkan countries. The team specialising in stock exchange and security law has extensive experience of high-profile IPOs, as well as private equity transactions and listed companies’ compliance obligations.
In addition, the firm has, for the last 30 years, provided legal consultancy services to Greek and foreign banks and other financial institutions with respect to their financial products and other banking services. The firm’s banking practice has been advising on various aspects of banking law, including the establishment of foreign banks in Greece, their operation and expansion, takeovers/mergers, transfers of shares, and the purchase and sale of retail and commercial operations.
One of the notable strengths of Sarantitis is its highly competent and experienced competition law practice, which handles consulting work on concentrations, cartels and vertical restraints, as well as the representation of clients before the Hellenic Competition Commission and the administrative courts in respect of relevant complaints and investigations or disputes.
Further, Sarantitis is very active in commercial litigation and arbitration, handling high-profile cases, including litigation before the Greek administrative courts.
The team of lawyers specialising in IT and media law holds a leading position in providing advice on the drafting and negotiation of the full spectrum of IT and telecoms contracts, as well as advising on data protection regulatory compliance and privacy-related matters.
Moreover, Sarantitis has a well-regarded team advising leading enterprises on labour law issues, a very strong and capable real estate and construction law practice, as well as an active energy law practice, with continuous experience in renewable energy projects and regulatory compliance since the 1990s.
Sarantitis has also had a notable presence in the Greek shipping sector for over 35 years. Due to its longstanding presence and active involvement in this particular field of law, the firm is not only known as one of the oldest, but also as one of the prominent firms specialising in maritime law in the region.
|Corporate and M&A|
|Banking, finance and capital markets|
|Projects and privatisations|
|EU and competition|
|IT, data protection and media|
|Restructuring and insolvency|
|Real estate and construction|