Borenius > Helsinki, Finland > Firm Profile
Borenius > The Legal 500 RankingsBorenius works alongside the firm’s real estate, energy and infrastructure teams to assist clients with securing rescue financing, insolvency issues, debt forgiveness, and restructurings. Niina Nuottimäki leads the team and is ‘experienced and pragmatic‘ regarding banking and finance, debt restructuring and debt capital markets work; she has additional niche expertise in real estate finance work and bond financings. Banking and finance co-head Riikka Eronen joined the practice in November 2020 from Danske Bank and focuses on corporate banking and real estate finance work.
Niina Nuottimäki; Riikka Eronen
Other key lawyers:
‘Niina Nuottomäki is very capable and hands on and provides a great service.’
‘Borenius has very good knowledge of our business and its practices, and is a regular player in the market so they don’t need unnecessary briefing.’
‘Niina Nuottimäki is a very effective and pleasant lead partner, good negotiator, and knows what is expected. Tuomas Tikkanen is a very knowledgeable and academic practitioner.’
‘Impeccable substance knowledge and experience well beyond what was needed in our – as such demanding and complex – project, very pragmatic, solution oriented and pleasant style.’
‘Niina Nuottimäki is a real problem solver with solid experience and negotiation capabilities. Will work with her again any time I can.’
‘Very skilled team, in particular with real estate financing transactions.’
‘Niina Nuottimäki is an experienced and pragmatic lawyer, easy to work with.’
Nordea Bank Abp
OP Financial Group
Suomen Osuuskauppojen Keskuskunta
Finnish Industry Investment Ltd
Svenska Handelsbanken AB
Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken AB
Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing
Aberdeen Standard Investments
- Advised a syndicate of Nordic and international commercial banks in relation to the financing of the construction of Metsä Fibre’s bioproduct mill in Kemi, Finland. The syndicate was led by Nordea Bank as the agent and coordinator.
- Advised Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Nordea, and BNP Paribas on the financing of the public take over of Ahlström-Munskjö by Bain Capital.
- Advised PHM Group on its refinancing comprising of a Finnish law governed high-yield bond and super senior revolving facility.
Finland > Capital markets Tier 1The ‘go-to‘ team at Borenius is particularly strong in handling high-profile IPOs in the Nordics, and is also known for its novel Finnish mandates, including introducing the first SPACs to the Finnish market and handling the first Finnish corporate bond released to the market after the Covid pandemic. Practice head Juha Koponen is noted for his impressive US-Finnish capital markets work, especially relating to IPOs., while head of the banking and finance practice Niina Nuottimäki deals with cross-border leveraged buyout deals and corporate lending mandates. In early 2021, counsel Ari Syrjäläinen departed for an in-house role, and in 2022, Mia Mokkila joined from Roschier
‘Borenius’ team is unique as seldom does one feel like a part of the family as with Borenius. Juha Koponen is always available and does not shy away from challenging situations that require out of the box problem solving.‘
‘It’s a versatile team and they work with variety of assignments in equity and debt capital markets as well as corporate advisory, with close ties to the financial markets regulation team. This gives them a good overall view beyond specific transactions. The firm is able to staff transactions with sector specialists and quickly cover any “out-of-scope” issues that arise.’
‘Juha Koponen has great business awareness and understanding beyond the mere legal aspects. Aksu Tuominen is a great experienced add to the team, and has a keen eye for detail. His knowledge of sustainable investing is useful.‘
‘Juha Koponen is a people person with a dynamic approach, always ready to run to help on transactions even when they come with a twist.’
‘Team is strong, led by very knowledgeable partner Juha Koponen. Team has strengthened with new hires, which add to already strong franchise. Think the key capabilities are linked to diligent work as well as excellent commercial mindset, i.e. they try to make legally possible the desired commercial solution wherever possible. One strength, in my view, is also the broad international capital markets understanding, especially the US angles.’
‘The team have been very devoted to our project and bring the needed results in a timely manner. They are well organised and able to coordinate all the legal aspects of the projects.’
‘Borenius is the go-to firm for capital markets and PE in Finland. There are very few firms that combine legal expertise and best in class market knowledge.’
Nightingale Health plc
Goldman Sachs International
Credit Suisse Securities (Europe) Limited
OP Corporate Bank plc
Carnegie Investment Bank AB, Finland branch
Normet Group Ltd.
Cevian Capital AB
- Advised Spinnova plc on its €115m IPO to Nasdaq First North Growth Market Finland.
- Advised Nightingale Health plc on its €110m IPO to Nasdaq First North Growth Market Finland.
- Advised West Street Global Infrastructure Partners on the £680m voluntary public cash tender offer for Adapteo plc, a Finnish company listed on Nasdaq Stockholm.
Johannes Piha; Johan Roman
‘Practical and business oriented approach with excellent price/quality mix.’
‘Big picture and fundamentals without forgetting attention to key details.‘
‘Strong local insights and network, as well as international perspective.’
‘Deep insight and a calm, measured approach to risk.’
‘Solid international/cross-border M&A capability including excellent W&I insurance knowledge.’
‘We use Borenius on a regular basis in our PE M&A transactions because we are pleased with its way of working and taking care of their customers. The co-operation is straightforward and smooth, and we can trust time estimates.‘
‘Highly business oriented pragmatic problem solvers, with impeccable substance knowledge well beyond the regular required dimension.’
‘Nella Åström is extremely effective, competent, resourceful, creative and fun to work with.’
Nouryon Chemicals International B.V.
Aberdeen Standard Investments
OP Financial Group
- Advised West Street Global Infrastructure Partners on the €8.1bn voluntary public cash tender offer for Adapteo plc, a Finnish company listed on Nasdaq Stockholm.
- Advised Hempel A/S as a bidder on the over €1bn competitive takeover process over Nasdaq Helsinki listed Tikkurila Oyj.
- Advised the OP Financial Group on a transaction aiming to combine the mobile wallets of Pivo (OP Financial Group), MobilePay (owned by Danske Bank) and the Norwegian Vipps.
Ben Rapinoja; Lasse Laaksonen
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent knowledge and experience, good set-up, hands-on support, practical advice and the team is matched to client’s needs. Reasonable pricing, which is also important.’
‘Ben Rapinoja is a true expert, lengthy experience, practical and hands-on. A real pleasure to work with.’
‘We have worked especially with Ben Rapinoja. He’s known for excellent and prompt communication, a holistic approach to solve problems, and written material (statements, claims etc) are always impeccable and usually the first draft version is practically the same as the final version.’
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
SodaStream International B.V.
Oy Karl Fazer Ab
Detection Technology plc
Aalto University Foundation
- Represented SodaStream in a trade mark infringement dispute which is pending at the Supreme Court of Finland which has referred the case to the Court of Justice of the European Union for a preliminary ruling.
- Represented Teva in a patent litigation case against InterMune, Inc. which belongs to the global Roche group. The Market Court’s patent revocation proceedings concerned InterMune’s three European patents.
- Represented multinational engineering company Sandvik at the Market Court in appeal proceedings against an opposition filed by its competitor Epiroc, a global manufacturer of mining and infrastructure equipment.
Saara Paronen; Ari Kaarakainen; Christian Fogelholm
Other key lawyers:
‘Borenius’ ability to set up teams and/or introduce us to relevant people within their business is what makes them special. There’s a high level of partner involvement ensuring we as a client feel heard and the person carrying out the service is always very receptive a delivers great quality. Borenius has advised us within real estate transactions, HR related issues and compliance.’
‘Borenius is one of the biggest law companies in Finland. They have expertise in all of the business areas. What makes them different from other big ones is that they really focus on the customer and the case at hand. The response time and capability to deliver over evenings, weekends is exceptional.’
‘Ari Kaarakainen is a very experienced professional with a very wide knowledge. He handles himself in deals in an exceptional way – drives the customers case but in a collaborative way. He usually gets his opining through without screwing the deal dynamics.‘
Aberdeen Standard Investment
Ilmarinen Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Annehem Fastigheter AB
A. Ahlström Kiinteistöt Oy
Citycon Finland Ltd.
Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing
Fennia Mutual Insurance Company
JM Suomi Oy
Alma Property Partners Oy Ab
Newil and Bau Oy
CapMan Real Estate
- Advised CapMan on the acquisition of a rental residential property portfolio from ICECAPITAL (through purchase of ICECAPITAL Housing Fund IV Ky). The transaction value is over €500m.
- Advised Varma on the establishment of a joint venture with YLVA for the Lyyra development project.
- Advised investors Ahlström Capital, Aktia Life Insurance and Kirkon Eläkerahasto on an agreement to build and lease new R&D premises to Kemira as part of the Green Chemistry Park concept to be built in Finnoo, Espoo.
Finland > Tax Tier 1The ‘very experienced’ tax team at Borenius covers the full spread of tax matters, including disputes, tax-related M&A transactional work for international corporates, and VAT and indirect tax advice. It is also highly regarded for its work in real estate transactions, transfer pricing issues, and day-to-day tax advisory work. Practice leader Janne Juusela has ‘excellent overall tax knowledge’, with particular strength in tax litigation and international tax planning issues, while Heikki Wahlroos advises clients 0n venture capital, private equity and M&A tax mandates. Einari Karhu focuses on international tax work, M&A structurings and ‘very sophisticated cross-border transactions’.
Janne Juusela; Heikki Wahlroos; Einari Karhu
‘The team is very experienced with full knowledge of the matters under their responsibility. They think out of the box and are a real pleasure to work with.’
‘Einari Karhu is a fantastic professional, capable in dealing with very sophisticated cross-border transactions.’
‘Good tax litigation skills, excellent availability, great communication skills to a big group of clients.’
‘Excellent overall tax knowledge by Janne Juusela.’
‘Great service, responsive lawyers, good all round team with strength in depth.’
Nokian Tyres plc
Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing
Intera Partners Buyout Funds
Aberdeen Standard Investments
- Advised Peab and Annehem Fastigheter in connection with the carve-out and listing of Annehem on Nasdaq Stockholm. The carve-out included complex Finnish tax questions related to income taxation and transfer taxation.
- Advised Suzano on structuring, drafting and implementing its JV arrangement with Finnish technology company Spinnova aiming to build a production facility of sustainable fibre for textile industry purposes.
- Advised Stockmann plc on tax matters in relation to the restructuring of Stockmann Oyj Abp, a major fashion and home goods retailer listed on the Helsinki Stock Exchange.
Finland > TMT Tier 1The ‘full service‘ team at Borenius is known for its strength in advising suppliers, Finnish corporates and banks on ICT transactions, especially in the healthcare, media and financial sectors; it also covers high-value telecoms regulatory work. Practice co-leader Samuli Simojoki has ‘truly world-class commercial awareness in TMT’, with specific expertise in advising clients active in the energy and healthcare arenas. He works alongside co-leader Erkko Korhonen, who ‘offers customer-specific solution-oriented services‘ on technology transactions, as well as carve-outs and separation arrangements. Counsel Henriikka Piekkala focuses on competition law and TMT issues in regulated markets.
Erkko Korhonen; Samuli Simojoki
Other key lawyers:
‘Customer oriented and highly flexible approach. Willingness to always serve the client in any advisory/other matter.’
‘Erkko Korhonen is always easy and fun to work with and he offers customer-specific solution-oriented services with great flexibility and skills.’
‘The team really understands tech sector business drivers and we have been impressed with their technical understanding especially in telecoms related matters. They are one of the few “full service” TMT teams in Finland (rather than just a glorified data protection & IPR practice). Senior lawyers are very hands-on which is a must have for us.’
‘Samuli Simojoki who heads the team has truly world-class commercial awareness in TMT field and is very solution oriented. Henriikka Piekkala is no doubt the best telecoms lawyer in any Finnish law firm. New partner Erkko Korhonen is a pleasure to work with.’
‘The team at Borenius has served us exceptionally well throughout our journey from our first VC funding round (Series A) through Series B, debt financing, and Series C and two acquisitions we have made. They have always pointed us to the appropriate partner and associates with the best expertise, while ensuring continuity and overall coordination.’
‘We continue to receive great support from our partner Samuli Simojoki.’
‘Exceptional capability to provide concrete recommendations based on a deep combination of (i) understanding of legal context, and (ii) customer’s business. I’ve worked with lot of great legal professionals who do not truly understand customer’s business – with Borenius it’s different, they do understand us.’
Nanoform Finland plc
Kansaneläkelaitos – The Social Insurance Institution of Finland
HUS – The Hospital District of Helsinki and Uusimaa
Valo Therapeutics Ltd
Accountor Group Oy
City of Espoo
- Advised Tomorrow Tech Oy, and leading Finnish banks OP Financial Group, Danske Bank, Aktia Bank and S-Bank, on the sale of the majority stake in Digitaalinen Asuntokauppa DIAS Oy to Alma Media plc.
- Advised Fingrid plc on an ongoing ICT procurement project with CGI to set up a national Datahub for the electricity market in Finland.
- Advised the City of Espoo on data protection and data security aspects pertaining to the procurement of a new data management system, as well as questions relating to the novel national legislation concerning secondary use of patient data, in addition to issues pertaining to the proposed social and healthcare reform in Finland.
Finland > Dispute resolution Tier 2Borenius frequently represents blue-chip companies in complex commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings including green energy, construction, financial markets, trade, retail and mining clients. Markus Kokko leads the team, focusing on construction disputes as well as complex regulatory investigations. Kristiina Liljedahl focuses on both domestic and international commercial arbitration and litigation for IT and telecoms clients, while newly promoted partner Tero Kovanen acts in cross-border mandates.
‘High level professionalism throughout the process. Deep knowledge of customer’s situation combined with solution and business driven approach.’
‘Kristiina Liljedahl and Tero Kovanen are both highly respected in customer’s organisation, not only due to top notch subject matter expertise but also due to exceptional collaboration skills.’
‘Borenius is a premier law firm in the field of dispute resolution in Scandinavia. They have special capabilities in international arbitration and are able to handle complex and technically detailed work such as project delivery disputes.’
‘Tero Kovanen is the standout performer. Always provides clear advice and recommendations even in complex situations. A great combination of big picture tactical thinking, attention to detail and persuasive argumentation skills.’
‘Ms Kristiina Liljedahl is appreciated for her pragmatic and result-driven approach.’
Agnico Eagle Mines
Harvia Finland Oy
Jyväskylän Voima Oy
Heraeus Medical GmbH
- Represented Talvivaara’s top executives in a class action-like lawsuit that followed the decision of the Supreme Court regarding the aggravated impairment of environment at the Talvivaara mine.
- Represented Heraeus at the Market Court as regards to damages claimed as a result of unfair business practices and loss of sales of bone cement products.
- Successfully defended Agnico’s executives against criminal charges for aggravated manslaughter and work safety offences relating to a mining accident.
Finland > Employment Tier 2The ‘highly professional‘ team at Borenius works for blue-chip companies in the aviation, banking and finance, mining, energy, and healthcare and maritime sectors. It is noted for its involvement in investigations, whistleblowing allegations, and civil and criminal matters, and frequently advises on mass redundancies, restructuring and insolvency issues, collective bargaining work, and discrimination cases. Jani Syrjänen leads the employment team and is experienced in pension and benefits, operational health and safety and discrimination law. Senior associate Annamari Ala-Louko joined from Procopé & Hornborg in January 2021; she is highly experienced in negotiating employment agreements and policies, disputes and supervisory procedures.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is highly professional, understanding the business life and variances between different business areas providing always high-quality, quick responses. Team is quite small, but high competencies always available.‘
‘Jani Syrjänen has given valuable, co-operative, skilled, professional advice. Responses are always finished with high quality and good communication.’
‘Jani Syrjänen is always available, the advice is precise and practical, just as needed in employment matters. Annamari Ala-Louko has a practical approach to matters, we have appreciated her timely advice.’
‘Jani Syrjänen is an extremely accessible and professional lawyer who is also fun to work with.’
Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA
Agnico Eagle Finland Ltd
Rio Tinto Mining and Exploration Ltd
The Coca-Cola Company
Wipro Limited, Finnish Branch
RAOS Project Ltd
Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Port of Helsinki Ltd
SodaStream International Limited – part of PepsiCo, Inc.
Discovery Corporate Services Ltd
- Advised RAOS Project on its establishment in Finland.
- Advised Huawei Technologies on an ongoing litigation in an administrative court regarding immigration issues and the potential expulsion of one of its key employees.
- Advised Norwegian Air Shuttle on all employment related aspects of the liquidation and bankruptcy of its Finnish flight crew leasing operations.
Finland > EU and competition Tier 2Borenius is noted for its experience in EU and competition law, with expertise ranging from major competition matters to antitrust and state aid cases. The team is frequently involved in cartel investigations before Finnish courts, antitrust follow-on damages cases and high-profile state aid cases. It is particularly experienced in advising on defence procurement work; it recently handled a €10bn fighter procurement for the Finnish Defence Forces and Covid-related procurements for the Finnish Emergency Supply Agency. Ilkka Aalto-Setälä heads up the practice and focuses on antitrust and merger control investigations, while Asko Lindqvist works on public procurement and merger control mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Asko Lindqvist; Henriikka Piekkala; Sami Hartikainen
‘In general very good customer orientated service. Borenius understands the client very well and is able to help the client quickly and according to needs. Collaboration is the key word at Borenius.’
‘Trustworthy and competent advice services. Honest and open attitude. Asko Lindqvist in competition law cases has done outstanding work with us.’
‘Borenius is very strong team, efficient and pragmatic. Flexible with billing to accommodate requirements from major corporation bureaucracy. Deep expertise in regulated industries. Senior lawyers are very hands-on.’
‘Ilkka Aalto-Setälä has in-depth knowledge of EU and competition law and is very solution oriented. Henriikka Piekkala is very analytical and we are very impressed with her.’
‘Borenius is very customer oriented and has excellent expertise in competition law.’
‘Excellent expertise in competition law and good availability of related services.’
‘Ilkka Aalto-Setälä has strong experience, he can came up with innovative and creative solutions, excellent and pragmatic lawyer.’
‘Solid knowledge of EU competition law, EU state aid law and EU public procurement law and how to apply them in practice.’
The Social Insurance Institution of Finland – KELA
The Finnish Bus and Coach Association
Uponor Infra Oy
The Finnish Real Estate Management Federation
Helsinki and Uusimaa Hospital District
Fox Networks Group / Disney Corporation
Huawei Technologies Oy
The Finnish Emergency Supply Agency
- Secured over €1bn in state aid support for Finnair and Finavia before the European Commission.
- Represented the Finnish Real Estate Management Federation in a property management cartel case pending before the Finnish Market Court.
- Advised the Finnish Emergency Supply Agency (NESA) on numerous public procurement and state aid issues related to the Covid-19 situation.
Borenius > Firm Profile
The firm: Borenius is a Finnish law firm established in 1911. Throughout its history the firm has handled some of the most challenging assignments for the most interesting clients. It has also actively developed legal practice in Finland, upholding the rule of law since the early days of Finnish independence. As businesses have become increasingly globalised, the demand for high-calibre legal advice has followed – it has grown to a firm that currently employs over 120 lawyers. Its business-minded approach to providing its clients with premium-quality legal services is the result of several decades of innovation.
Borenius has always been committed to extending its global reach. Currently it has offices in Finland, London and New York. It offers a convenient gateway for international companies looking to invest and do business in the Finnish and Nordic territories. As a leading independent Finnish law firm, it also co-operates with other leading independent law firms on a global basis.
Areas of practice: Clients value the firm’s efforts on meeting their highest expectations and its focus on building long-term client relations. In order to be trusted with bet-the-company deals and disputes and to provide strategic advice in complex advisory assignments, Borenius invests in talent and innovation. Borenius’ key service areas are transactions, advisory and dispute resolution, in which it serves clients’ needs with leading practitioners in some 20 different practice areas.
It reflects on current trends and phenomena to develop the most innovative business solutions and to ensure the best possible service for its clients.
|Banking and finance||Niina Nuottimäkifirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3506|
|Banking & Finance||Riikka Eronenemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3278|
|Capital markets||Juha Koponenfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3285|
|Capital Markets||Mia Mokkilaemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3182|
|M&A and private equity||Nella Åströmfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3570|
|M&A and private equity||Johannes Pihaemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3225|
|EU & Competition||Ilkka Aalto-Setäläfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3545|
|Intellectual property||Lasse Laaksonenemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3521|
|Dispute resolution, Corporate crime||Markus Kokkofirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3482|
|Employment||Jani Syrjänenemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3565|
|Energy and infrastructure||Ari Kaarakainenfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3524|
|Environment and natural resources||Casper Herleremail@example.com||+358 20 713 3288|
|Fund formation and investment management||Paulus Hidénfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3436|
|Intellectual property||Ben Rapinojaemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3424|
|Real estate and construction||Saara Paronenfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3213|
|Restructuring and insolvency||Jyrki Tähtinenemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3411|
|Tax||Janne Juuselafirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3431|
|Technology, media and telecommunications||Samuli Simojokiemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3500|
|Real Estate||Christian Fogelholmfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3519|
|Tax||Einari Karhuemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3488|
|Dispute Resolution, Corporate Crime||Kristiina Liljedahlfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3464|
|EU & Competition||Asko Lindqvistemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3413|
|M&A and private equity||Johan Romanfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3489|
|Tax||Heikki Wahlroosemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3589|
|TMT||Erkko Korhonenfirstname.lastname@example.org||+358 20 713 3136|
|Dispute Resolution, Corporate Crime||Tero Kovanenemail@example.com||+358 20 713 3276|
|Mr Ilkka Aalto-Setälä||Partner Ilkka Aalto-Setälä has worked over 25 years with antitrust and merger…||View Profile|
|Ms Nella Åström||Partner Nella Åström specialises in M&A as well as private equity transactions,…||View Profile|
|Mr Andreas Doepel||As a senior specialist and Counsel at Borenius, Andreas focuses on corporate…||View Profile|
|Mr Christian Fogelholm||Partner Christian Fogelholm advises on real estate, energy and infrastructure transactions and…||View Profile|
|Mr Jari Gadd||Partner Jari Gadd is head of Borenius’ Tampere office. Jari advises clients on…||View Profile|
|Mr Casper Herler||Managing Partner Casper Herler is a strategic adviser to large natural resources, industrial…||View Profile|
|Mr Paulus Hidén||Partner Paulus Hidén advises on all aspects of private equity with particular…||View Profile|
|Mr Janne Juusela||Partner Janne Juusela advises on domestic and international tax matters in corporate…||View Profile|
|Mr Ari Kaarakainen||Partner Ari Kaarakainen advises on real estate, M&A and financing transactions with particular…||View Profile|
|Mr Einari Karhu||Partner Einari Karhu advises on domestic and international tax matters in corporate…||View Profile|
|Mr Markus Kokko||Partner Markus Kokko regularly advises major domestic and international clients on dispute resolution…||View Profile|
|Mr Juha Koponen||Partner Juha Koponen is a dual-qualified (Finland and New York) transactional lawyer…||View Profile|
|Mr Erkko Korhonen||Partner Erkko Korhonen advises clients on various technology transactions and arrangements, including…||View Profile|
|Mr Tero Kovanen||Partner Tero Kovanen advises on questions related to dispute resolution. In addition…||View Profile|
|Mr Lasse Laaksonen||Partner Lasse Laaksonen specialises in both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property and technology…||View Profile|
|Ms Kristiina Liljedahl||Partner Kristiina Liljedahl advises on dispute resolution, including litigation and arbitration, as well…||View Profile|
|Mr Asko Lindqvist||Partner Asko Lindqvist advises on all aspects of competition law as well…||View Profile|
|Ms Niina Nuottimäki||Partner Niina Nuottimäki advises on banking and finance, debt capital markets and…||View Profile|
|Ms Saara Paronen||Partner Saara Paronen advises clients on real-estate and construction law. Her scope includes real…||View Profile|
|Mr Robert Peldán||Partner Robert Peldán advises on insolvency and dispute resolution. Robert has substantial…||View Profile|
|Ms Henriikka Piekkala||Counsel Henriikka Piekkala advises on legal issues related to regulated markets and competition…||View Profile|
|Mr Johannes Piha||Partner Johannes Piha is a transactional lawyer focusing on M&A and private…||View Profile|
|Mr Ben Rapinoja||Partner Ben Rapinoja is a renowned litigator in patent, trademark and intellectual…||View Profile|
|Mr Johan Roman||Partner Johan Roman advises clients in the field of mergers and acquisitions…||View Profile|
|Mr Samuli Simojoki||Partner Samuli Simojoki advises companies in different fields of media and technology,…||View Profile|
|Mr Jani Syrjänen||Partner Jani Syrjänen advises international and domestic clients in all employment law…||View Profile|
|Mr Jyrki Tähtinen||Senior Partner Jyrki Tähtinen advises on public and private M&A and corporate…||View Profile|
|Mr Tuomas Tikkanen||Counsel Tuomas Tikkanen advises clients on a wide variety of financial transactions,…||View Profile|
|Ms Kaisa Voutilainen||Counsel Kaisa Voutilainen Kaisa advises on dispute resolution and insolvency related questions.…||View Profile|
|Mr Heikki Wahlroos||Partner Heikki Wahlroos advises on domestic and international tax matters in corporate…||View Profile|
|Ms Sha Wang||Counsel Sha Wang is a native Chinese speaker and is a member…||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 120
LanguagesChinese English Finnish French German Russian Swedish
OtherContact : Casper Herler (Managing Partner) : Borenius Attorneys Ltd is one of the largest leading law firms in Finland. The firm was established in 1911 and consists of over 200 employees in two jurisdictions. The firm provides easy access to full-scale business law solutions in Finland, London and in New York. Borenius provides services in all areas of law for corporate clients.
We place our people, pro bono work and the environment at the heart of our corporate responsibility programme.
We are committed to providing all employees with equal opportunities and the best possible support to help them combine their work and private life.
Diversity is our strength. We are defined by our values, and we are proud to have a culture of respect within our organisation in terms of our people and strategy. Our carefully selected pro bono partners and programmes are a further reflection of our commitment to promoting diversity and social inclusion. These allow us to give back to society while maximising the positive impact of our employees’ legal expertise.
Our current pro bono programmes are:
- The Finnish Paralympic Committee. We have been the official legal adviser to the Finnish Paralympic Committee on a pro bono basis since 2013. Our support includes assisting the organisation and individual athletes on various legal matters. We have also taken an active role in developing the procedures of classification in Paralympic sports while actively contributing to the legal discussion currently evolving around the equal treatment of athletes.
- Helsinki Pride. We are one of the main partners of Helsinki Pride community and the Helsinki Pride Week event. We foster a society of equality and individual welfare that includes everyone regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
- Young Office. Fostering connections between young people and the business world is one the most important ways in which we can contribute to society. To support this, we have implemented a multicultural work experience programme aimed at pupils in lower secondary schools.
- Icehearts. This Finnish innovative early-intervention operating model provides long-term professional support for vulnerable children facing the risk of social exclusion. The children in this project are divided into teams that operate for a period of 12 years during which they will gain support and supervision from professional educators.
Responsibility with thought-leadership. Being one of the thought leaders in the legal industry comes with the responsibility to look ahead. We must dare to challenge the established ways of working in the legal community. For us this means that we have a responsibility to actively discuss issues having legal importance for the society. We also want to be involved in discussions on how the legal industry will be a pro-active force in improving business practices, diversity, and leadership in order to make a difference. This means not only a responsibility to answer to these requirements set on us by the society, but also a commitment to give back in the form of pro bono work in areas in which we have leading expertise. We actively share our knowledge and views to develop business and the society through national committee work. We also offer a substantial amount of training opportunities for students and we see this work as a platform for educating business lawyers that later can serve the business community from in-house positions.
It’s a small world. As a leading independent Finnish law firm based in Finland, Russia, London and New York, we work together with other highly regarded law firms across the globe that share our commitment to excellence. We have significantly invested in our global network of leading law firms. Our extensive global network of high-end law firms guarantees that we are the most effective legal partner across all jurisdictions for our clients – together we go the extra mile.
- Borenius Finland. Our headquarters are in Helsinki. As a leading independent Finnish law firm, we work together with other highly regarded law firms across the globe that share our commitment to excellent service and quality. We have invested significantly in our global network of top-tier international law firms to ensure that we can provide the best advice for our clients both in Finland and in other jurisdictions.
- Borenius Russia. Our office in St. Petersburg, Borenius Russia, is one of the largest business law providers in Northwest Russia. This gives us a thorough understanding of the Russian legal system and business environment and enables us to provide efficient business solutions for our clients operating Russia.
- Borenius New York. Our New York office is your window to business in the US. We offer a convenient gateway for US companies looking to invest and do business in the Finnish, Russian, Baltic and Nordic territories. In addition, we provide specific US legal services for select corporate clients looking to enter the US market.
- Borenius London. Our London office acts as your gateway to legal services and business networks between Finland and the major European financial centre. Many of our good legal, banking and investor sector clients conduct their Nordic business out of London. Through an office in London we will be able to intensify cooperation with many of the world’s leading law firms, banks and clients.
- Borenius China Desk. Our China Desk advises both Chinese and international clients on legal matters relating to China and provides services based on an in-depth understanding of both Chinese and Finnish legal systems and business cultures. We also offer access to an extensive network of contacts with law firms in different regions in China.
Our global presence is built on our own Russian, London and US offices and our Chinese, and Nordic desk supporting inbound and outbound clients together with a network of leading independent law firms in these and other jurisdictions.
As an independent law firm, we value our personal relationships with our global network of select highly regarded law firms in each jurisdiction. Many of our lawyers have experience working as a visiting lawyer at top-tier law firms abroad, and we encourage our associates to gain international experience by visiting our foreign offices and market-leading international firms.
We actively participate in the activities of the International Bar Association (IBA) and the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA) and encourage our people to take part in the important committee work of these organisations. A key component of our global network is the IBA, the world’s leading organisation of international legal practitioners, bar associations and law societies. Our professionals benefit greatly from the opportunity to network with other lawyers from all over the world, ensuring that we have access to all the latest phenomena affecting the legal world. Taxand, the world’s largest independent organisation of tax advisors, is an essential part of our global tax network. We have been selected as the only Finnish member of the organisation.