Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire in Yorkshire And The Humber
Addleshaw Goddard has a broad commercial property practice, led by the 'pragmatic, smart and deal-focused' Bruce Lightbody. The firm acts for some of the UK's largest institutional investors as well as some of the country's largest real estate investment trusts. The 'highly professional' Lucy Sturrock is another notable name, working on high-profile transactions and co-leading the firm's national hotel and leisure sector group. Ian Smith, who acts for a number of the firm's major clients, is also recommended.
‘The individuals we work with demonstrate a caring attitude; specifically Bruce Lightbody and David Shaw‘
‘Lucy Sturrock provided us with invaluable advice on a major hotel transaction. She has led the transaction for us in a highly professional manner, always maintaining a positive approach and providing the coordination and leadership required to best progress matters‘
‘The team consistently demonstrates very strong commercial thinking, combined with unrivalled levels of experience on transactions. This allows Addleshaw to provide advice which is strong, relevant and enables clear decision making at critical points‘
‘Knowledgeable and helpful, good with advice at the start of projects, proficient and timely.’
‘Bruce Lightbody is one of the leading lawyers in the region’.
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Travelodge Hotels Limited
Heeton Holdings Limited
Columbia Threadneedle Investments
U+I and CTP
Ribston Industrial Fund
- Advised Columbia Threadneedle Investments on the £42m acquisition of Network North Portfolios.
- Advised Lancaster University on the £41m development of the Health Innovation Campus as well as a new whole-life care and research establishment.
- Advised Muse Developments Limited on £40m pre-let of warehouse developments in Leeds to Premier Farnell.
- Advised Travelodge Hotels Limited on the construction of new hotel in Middlesex Street, London.
- Advised Heeton Holdings Limited on the acquisition of three hotels, including one in Glasgow and one in Edinburgh.
DLA Piper UK LLP is a leading firm for retail property law, with significant expertise in the manufacturing, transport and energy sectors, leveraging the firm's international presence to facilitate cross-jurisdictional work. Notable names include former practice head Tim Field, who acts for national and international clients, and Ruth Williamson, who has experience in corporate occupier asset management. Susan Samuel, who has acted for hotel operators and developers, joined the firm from Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP in early 2019.
Diocese of Leeds
West Yorkshire Passenger Executive
Smithy Wood Business Park
Elliott Group Limited
The Royal Bank of Scotland
Sytner Group Limited
- Advising British Airways on its response to the Heathrow third runway expansion. The airline owns 20% of the land required for the development.
- Advised RBS on a post completion re-organisation after the bank accepted seven pre-emption notices served by their landlord, a division of Legal & General, by serving counter notices.
- Advised Smithy Wood Business Parks Development on the £6.1m sale of an investment property let to DPD Group Limited to Tritax.
- Advising Uber on its European property portfolio, including all acquisitions and new developments.
- Advising Telereal Trillium on the £300m grant of leases for 280 properties to the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP boasts a national team with expertise in retail, development and investment work, and its large and prestigious client base puts it in the top tier for commercial property. George Bacon heads up the practice, which advises a range of big-name retailers and shopping centres, while Simon Harris has taken lead roles on some of the firm's major deals since his promotion to partner in 2018. Ian Barker, who has significant public sector development experience, recently relocated to the Leeds office from Manchester, while hospitality and leisure expert Susan Samuel departed for DLA Piper UK LLP.
Other key lawyers:
‘George Bacon is a excellent lawyer and easy to deal with‘.
Legal & General
Wm Morrison Supermarkets
UK Land Estates
- Advised Kier Property Developments on the £29m acquisition of Birmingham city centre development site at Arena Central from Miller Developments.
- Advised Next on the £62.5m acquisition and forward funding of a warehouse facility at Waltham Abbey.
- Advised KFC on sale of a portfolio of over 160 UK restaurants to numerous franchisees.
- Advised London Pensions Fund Authority on the £45m purchase of a portfolio of seven established industrial estates.
- Advised Wm Morrison Supermarkets on the acquisition of new store site in Amble in Northumberland.
Pinsent Masons LLP's growing national team is led by property head Jonathan Riley and property development and investment head Richard Daffern. The practice advises key regional developers, taking lead roles on high-profile housing and regeneration projects. Universities and higher education head Victoria Goddard advises universities on accommodation projects, campus redevelopment and estate matters, while other notable names include Stephen Glass, who has investor and residential expertise, and Natalie Harris, who acts for clients including investors, developers and public authorities.
Richard Daffern; Jonathan Riley
‘Wide depth of knowledge and experience across all areas. Easy people to work with, who will take the time to work with our teams and will explain complex issues in an easy to follow manner. The team builds up good relationships with advisers acting on the other side.’
‘Good understanding of my business and customer service. High standard of associates.’
‘Richard Daffern has been my principal point of contact for many years – he has good knowledge of what the company does and is very responsive.’
AXA – IM Real Assets
University of Leeds
Leeds City Council
Westminster City Council
London Borough of Wandsworth
London and Associated Properties
- Advised the University of York on the £100m procurement and development of student accommodation at Heslington East.
- Advising a joint venture between South Tyneside Council and Sunderland City Council on the promotion of a new 150-hectare manufacturing park in Sunderland and South Tyneside.
- Advised House of Fraser on its property liabilities for its store portfolio across England and Wales in connection with its Company Voluntary Arrangement and administration.
- Advising Westminster City Council in relation to Church Street regeneration project involving more than 1,750 homes and Church Street market.
- Advised Grainger on a £52m acquisition by way of forward funding of a site for redevelopment as a 261-unit build-to-rent scheme.
Leeds firm Walker Morris LLP has an extensive client base across the Yorkshire region, London and the international arena. Nick Cannon leads the team while Jeremy Moore is noted as a 'standout' performer, handling work for many of the firm's overseas clients. Other important names are Judith Pike, whose recent work has focused on the energy and regeneration sectors, and Will Cousins, who has worked on a number of significant multimillion-pound transactions since making partner in 2017. Director Adam Reed is also well-regarded for his work for ultra high net worth individuals on London acquisitions.
‘We have been working with Walker Morris now for four years and have always found them to be particularly attentive and offer a first class service. We would have no problem recommending them to others.’
‘The team offers unrivalled knowledge across the sector. This is accompanied by a level of personal care and attention you would expect from a family practice.’
‘The all-round service offer set Walker Morris apart from its competitors.’
‘Jeremy Moore and Martin McKeague are standout partners from the commercial property team.’
‘Joanne Hunter is highly experienced in the residential team and has dealt with some complicated issues for our house building business.’
‘Will Cousins is excellent, particularly attentive and always able to jump on things and turn them around quickly. He is always involved even if associates are taking the lead on matters and we have total faith that he has our clients interests at the forefront of his attention. It is for this reason that we have recommended other clients to engage with him and Walker Morris as a whole.’
‘All individuals at Walker Morris (from front desk to partner) are personable and fun to work with.’
‘The team at Walker Morris fields several exceptional talents. Judith Pike is an excellent lawyer, Jeremy Moore is a stalwart statesman and a class act, and Adam Reed is a smashing lawyer‘.
St Bride’s Managers
Port of Tilbury
- Advised the Talisker Corporation on the acquisition of Wembley Central and purchase of The Cube in Birmingham.
- Advised Kier Property on the £40m construction of new offices for Durham County Council.
- Advised the Scarborough Group on the opening of the Thorpe Park Retail and Leisure Park.
- Acted for St Bride’s Managers on the purchase of several properties.
- Advised the Unite Group on a 15-year lease of student accommodation to the University of Sheffield.
Clarion's real estate practice has grown significantly since its establishment in 2007, up from six lawyers in 2015 to fifteen in 2018. The team is led by the 'exceptional' Martin Grange who acts for a number of local and national developers. The team covers range of industry sectors including development, retail and leisure, property finance and investment. A notable name is the 'thorough and responsive' Alison Batty, who has become the team’s self-invested pension scheme specialist, while the 'commercially sensible' Lindsay Texel, who has led on several large portfolio acquisitions, is also recommended.
‘The Clarion team are exceptionally knowledgeable and professional. They have a proactive approach, which is refreshing’
‘What makes Clarion’s practice unique is their excellent approach to providing a first-class legal service’
‘We have worked with Clarion on a number of property transactions and always find the team to be approachable and knowledgeable, providing commercial advice in a straightforward manner’
‘Clarion provides a practical and no-nonsense approach based on dealing with the client’s needs’
‘Professional, friendly, informative and above all very proactive’
‘Martin Grange is an exceptional partner who is always willing to jump in and help out at short notice if required’
‘Alison Batty is thorough and responsive and always quick to respond’
‘Eve Gregory is not our main contact but she stepped in to cover annual leave and it was amazing to get an exchange completed against a tight deadline’
‘Having worked alongside Lindsay Texel and Alison Batty, their experienced knowledge and advice is invaluable. Two very genuine people that are passionate in providing an excellent service’
‘Lindsey Texel is very good – commercially sensible and gets to the point and deals with things in a practical way. Generally happy to go above and beyond if needed’
‘Marcus Watson is the lead contact. We have worked together on unique transactions and have found he is always capable of thinking out of the box to come up with a viable solution. He is able to present issues in an easy to comprehend manner without the use of legal jargon’
‘They get on with the job but involve the client with how well or otherwise the job is progressing to ensure a satisfactory outcome is achieved’
‘My dealings with Lindsay Texel and Eve Gregory and the rest of the conveyancing team have been a joy to say the least – they are proactive, friendly and professional and their knowledge and skill is the best I have encountered to date’
‘Ben Lamb is really commercial, quick and efficient at getting deals over the line‘
- Advised the KMRE Group on the £27m acquisition of a site in Nottingham for a PRS scheme for over 100 units.
- Advised Strata Homes Yorkshire on negotiation, exchanging and completing the £40m purchase of land in Dishforth for residential development.
- Acted for Sherburn Promotions on a collaboration to bring together two adjoining land parcels in Sherburn in Elmet for residential development.
- Advised HSN Care on the acquisition and development of a Peterborough care home for profoundly disabled adults.
- Acted for Gilbanks Group on the leasehold acquisition of two floors of Pinsent Masons’ offices in Leeds.
Shulmans LLP has a strong presence in the housebuilding sector, deploying a specialist team to advise overseas investors on developing their portfolios, while it also focuses on property finance work for banks. Simon Jackson and Rosemary Edwards jointly head the team, with Jackson heading up the commercial real estate group and Edwards leading the residential development team. The firm has a 'broad range' of knowledge in commercial areas as evidenced by its work in the areas of retail and property development. Kieran Wilkinson provides 'clear, pragmatic advice', working closely with the firm's corporate finance team.
Simon Jackson; Rosemary Edwards
Other key lawyers:
‘Progressive firm with knowledgeable staff over a broad range of commercial areas’
‘Always mindful of commercial interests and sensibilities. Extremely prompt responses and good quality work’
‘Kieran Wilkinson continues to give clear, pragmatic advice. He and his team also turn documentation around very swiftly when required, thus ensuring we in turn give good service to our tenants’
‘Simon Rhodes is now our go-to lawyer for commercial property matters’
Evans Property Group
Town Centre Securities
Barratt Homes/David Wilson Homes
Princes Quay Estates
- Represented Clipper Logistics in respect of a lease of a warehouse facility in Sheffield.
- Handled portfolio management work for TCS Holdings at the Merrion Centre, a shopping centre in Leeds.
- Ongoing portfolio work for Evans Property Group, including lettings at Minerva House to Arthur J Gallagher Insurance Brokers, Gateley and Stowe Family Law, as well as disposals of seven properties worth a total of £40m.
- Acted for Cromsdale Property Group on the purchase of a 1.4-acre site in North Yorkshire for residential housing.
- Negotiated the £3m disposal of a brownfield site in Harrogate for the development of a healthcare facility.
Squire Patton Boggs' practice, which provides an 'excellent service', is led by European real estate head Matthew Dalzell. The team covers a wide range of sectors, including development, retail and entertainment, and retains a strong position in markets across the north of England, continuing to pick up mandates for a range of major infrastructure projects. Andrew Sprake, who leads the real estate finance team, is another key member of the practice acting as client relationship partner for Leeds City Council and leading on a number of key deals in the energy and public sectors. Prew Lumley, who advises a line-up of well-known retail and leisure clients, is also recommended.
‘Excellent service delivered all around.’
‘Always available, practical and keen to solve issues and help deals over the line.’
Leeds City Council
Live Nation Group
Henry Boots Developments
Capital & Centric
Mercia Power Response
- Advising Charlotte Tilbury on the property, construction and tax aspects of a new lease for office and studio headquarters.
- Advising Leeds City Council on the £650m South Bank regeneration project, including potential funding for the refurbishment of Temple Works and redevelopment and regeneration of wider South Bank area, a project which has the potential to enlarge Leeds by almost a third.
- Advising Live Nation Music on the £250m acquisition of new London headquarters.
- Acting for Visionary Leisure on a series of pub business acquisitions worth £20m.
- Acting for Lloyds Banking Group on a number of real estate finance matters worth a combined total of £450m.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP has a large real estate practice undertaking national work, underpinned by international connections bolstered by the firm's 2017 transatlantic merger. The Leeds team is led by Mark Owen, who is a 'force to be reckoned with', alongside the hugely experienced and high-profile Paula Dillon. The firm covers the retail, development, investment and residential sectors, and has secured a number of new client wins over the past year. Julia Dacre Field, a highly regarded specialist who leads the residential team, is also recommended.
‘The comprehensive service is one of the biggest attractions. I may be proceeding with a property development transaction, but I know that behind the scenes there is construction advice, planning advice, tax and corporate advice, so I truly receive a one-stop shop, but all with a single point of contact.’
‘Good knowledge at all levels of the business.’
‘The team is well resourced with the required spread of experience to support our business both in terms of fee earner levels and specialisms. It has the ability to support us on large consortium projects and co-ordinate a multi-disciplinary approach from their team to provide us with streamlined and focused advice. Responsive and commercially aware.’
‘I have worked with Julia Dacre-Field on a number of complex land assembly transactions over the recent years, and what stands out is not only her ability to decipher the complexities of the deals, but also to see the pragmatic and commercial way forward, to actually see the deals over the line. Her work ethic and persistence are a credit, yet all delivered with a down to earth and flexible manner.’
‘Mark Owen has razor sharp knowledge and is a force to be reckoned with. He always focuses on the solution and finding a way through complex legal matters.’
‘David Cole always gets the job done. An efficient and pleasant individual to work with.’
‘They go the extra mile and put the client first. They do not come across as solely fee orientated like some other firms. Julia Field provides top quality practical advice and solutions and is finely tuned into her client’s needs and requirements’
Commercial Estates Group
Leeds City Council
Town Centre Securities
Doncaster Borough Council
University of Law
Caddick Developments Limited
Barratt & David Wilson Homes
- Acting for Leeds City Council in relation to the £600m redevelopment of Victoria Gate, Leeds.
- Acting for Places for People Group in relation to an ongoing development programme including acquisitions of sites, development agreements and acquisitions of units from housebuilders.
- Acting for the University of Law on the opening of its 10th campus in Nottingham.
- Dealt with the acquisition of two parcels of land for Taylor Wimpey and Linden Limited.
DWF advises a wide range of real estate clients, both regionally and nationally. The team, which is led by the 'technically very competent' Jim Speed, has a client list which includes developers, investment funds, house builders and public sector organisations. Andrew Flounders is a standout individual who was lead partner on a major sports development project in Leeds, while senior associate Nick Wallace is also notable for having led a number of major investment and development cases.
‘DWF gives a personal professional service – we feel very much a valued client and they understand our company.’
‘Jim Speed is technically very competent and will give a commercial view when required’
Catella Real Estate AG
Palmer Capital Partners
- Acted for Leeds Cricket Football and Athletic Company in relation to the £40m redevelopment of the South Stand and North-South Stand at Headingley Stadium in Leeds.
- Advised Opus North/Palmer Capital on the £31m sale of Morrisons units at Hunslet, Leeds to Aviva Investors.
- Acted for Moorfield Group on the £66m sale of The Keel, Queens Dock, Liverpool and The Tramshed, Preston.
- Acting for Trident Hotels on the £10m acquisition, development and funding of a new hotel in Barrow-in-Furness.
- Advised Opus North/Palmer Capital on the £51.7m sale of Hillsborough Morrisons to Supermarket Income REIT.
Gateley Plc's real estate team has three key areas of focus; residential development, retail and mixed use development and real estate finance. The practice includes George Parker-Fuller and John Kiff who form the specialist residential team. Philip Gregory heads a team which carries out major work for developers on retail and mixed use developments. The firm has also been boosted by the addition of Barbara Rollin from Shoosmiths LLP, who now heads up the real estate finance team.
George Parker-Fuller; Philip Gregory
Commercial Development Projects
Marlborough Property Co
- Ongoing advice to Taylor Wimpey around developing government and lending policy in New Build leasehold housing.
- Advising Miller Homes on a mixed-use development spanning 2,500 houses and a commercial district centre.
- Providing legal support to Lovell Partnerships Limited on the £30m development of 100 new homes in Louth.
- Handling lease assignments, variations and new leases on a portfolio of properties acquired by Pavers Limited as a result of the administration of Jones Bootmaker.
- Advising Miller Homes Limited and Story Homes on the £150m development of more than 500 new homes in Newcastle.
Gordons LLP has several key area of focus, including retail and residential development, property finance and distribution centres, advising a range of regional and national clients. The practice is led by Paul Young, who specialises in commercial development, residential development, secured lending and industrial acquisitions and disposals. Joanne Fearnley has 25 years of experience of dealing with commercial property transactions, while Sarah Ratcliffe is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Joanna Fearnley; Sarah Ratcliffe
‘The team has the ability to explain things in straightforward terms, and we also receive valuable advice on ways to proceed. We’ve tried several others who fail in comparison.’
‘Excellent attention to detail; swift and commercial.’
‘Michael Finnett is excellent, very balanced – he can adapt to our way of thinking. He is not afraid to tell us what we don’t want to hear and his team are attentive, responsive and knowledgeable. They get the job done efficiently and professionally.’
‘Joanna Fearnley and Jennifer Herdman are the best conveyancing solicitors I have dealt with in my 26 year career as an agent on behalf of clients and as a principal on my own portfolio.’
‘Joanna Furnley is very practical and gets deals done‘.
- Advised PMAC Energy on an option agreement and 28-year lease of 25 acres of land at Redcar Bulk Terminal. The site is intended to be used for a £250m waste to energy plant.
- Acting as adviser to B&M Retail on property acquisitions, lease renewals and management work.
- Sole legal adviser to Iceland Foods on all property acquisitions.
- Assisting with the rollout of Hermes Parcelnet’s national network of hubs and depots.
Irwin Mitchell has a broad real estate practice, with a focus on commercial development and regeneration, strategic land and site assembly, student accommodation and PRS, education, real estate finance, corporate occupiers and investment and management. The team is led by the 'stand out' and 'absolutely superb' John Flathers. Also notable is James Knowles, who has recently led on several major developments. Michelle Beaumont, who has a broad range of real estate transaction experience, joined the firm from Pinsent Masons LLP in late 2018.
‘Great partner contact – we see more from this Leeds partner in our London offices than we see from our other lawyers working round the corner’
‘The Irwin Mitchell property team is extremely experienced and has a fantastic depth of knowledge to deal with. Irwin Mitchell’s approach to solving problems and issues is first class. They are very commercial in their approach which enables the principle points of a negotiation to be focused upon’
‘Easy to work with, commercial and efficient. They are proactive and do what they can to get a transaction over the line on time and on budget’
‘Irwin Mitchell in Leeds have an outstanding property team who have been a pleasure to deal with. They are highly professional, approachable and efficient and I could not recommend them highly enough’
‘John Flathers and Max Nesbitt both stand out and have been absolutely superb. We were involved in a challenging deal and John and Max’s knowledge, professionalism, tenacity and clarity was key to the deal going through’
‘John Flathers is a standout partner, always approachable and helpful’
‘James Knowles is extremely diligent and very committed to his practice and role and addresses the majority of issues before reporting them to the client’
Henry Boot Developments
Jones Lang LaSalle
Craig & Rose
Newitt & Co
Country Style Foods
- Acted for GNW Estates on the £6m development of a Travelodge in Mansfield.
- Acted on behalf of Henry Boot Developments in connection with the £200m purchase of 85 acres of land.
- Acting on behalf of Rula Developments on the £100m promotion of three prime sites.
- Acted on behalf of Henry Boot Developments on the £6m acquisition of land from Derbyshire County Council.
- Acting for FRP Advisory on the terms of their new Manchester, Leeds and Teeside offices.
Lupton Fawcett's real estate team is known for its property management expertise and has a range of clients across the Yorkshire region with David Whitaker leading the team. David Coleman, who offers 'concise and pragmatic' advice, is a notable name having been lead partner on much of the firm's development work. The practice was significantly boosted in late 2018 by the promotion of three senior associates to the partnership - Kirsty Barsby, Zoe Lang and Sarah Temple, nearly doubling the number of partners in the team.
‘David Coleman offers concise and pragmatic property advice whilst retaining a commercial viewpoint. He does not seek to score points against the other side and instead concentrates on securing a commercial outcome for his client.’
Jack Lunn Properties
William Birch & Sons
Leeds Building Society
HIG Bauer Group
Evans of Leeds
- Advised Loxley Homes on the £15m acquisition of a residential development site in South Yorkshire.
- Acting for Leeds Grand Theatre to facilitate a £17m infrastructure project for Opera North.
- Representing landowners in connection with an agreement to secure a £10m development of farmland.
- Advised Grangers International on the £6m development of a new factory and sale of an existing one.
- Advised Montgomery Property Investments on the £23m sale of three multi-let industrial properties.
Mills & Reeve LLP has a full service real estate team which advises on national and international property projects. The firm has a range of clients including investors, developers, land owners, institutional and local authority funds and corporations. The team is led by Simon Sherwood, who focuses on real estate investment, with a particular expertise in primary healthcare development work. Real estate represents roughly a third of Mills & Reeve's total turnover, demonstrating the significance of the practice to the wider firm.
Simon Sherwood; Beverley Firth
Consolidated Property Group
The British Library
London House Exchange
General Practice Investment Corporation
- Advised Ridgeon Properties on the £27m sale of a brownfield site with the benefit of residential planning permission to Cambridge City Council.
- Reviewing around 800 acres of land and buildings for bank security for Coutts & Company.
- Advising Consolidated Property Group on lettings on new retail park developments at Newquay and St Albans to major retailers including B&Q, Wilko, Pets at Home, KFC and Costa Coffee.
- Advising Encon Insulation on the grant of two new industrial leases following extensive landlord work.
- Advising The British Library on general estates matters including lettings and occupation licences.
Schofield Sweeney's commercial property team is one of the largest in the region and has particular specialisms in residential development, property finance and renewable energy. Darren Birkinshaw heads up the practice, which has grown significantly with the addition of regional developers as clients. Manjit Virdee leads the firm's property finance offering, acting for a number of major banks, while the practice also covers the healthcare, retail and education sectors. Dean Jowett left after five years at the firm to establish Tyr Law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Transparent fees and very user friendly. The firm understands onerous bank reporting requirements.’
‘Quick to respond and manage workflow very well.’
‘Easy to deal with and friendly people who are comfortable speaking to both us and our clients. They respond quickly and take action as requested. They are often cheaper than their peers, without any change in quality.’
‘Readily available and quick to return calls, particularly at partner level. Manjit Virdee is a great example, always managing client expectations.’
‘Well known across the whole professional market in all disciplines.’
The Trafford Centre
Pinnacle View Homes
Sheffield United Hotel
YPP Lettings & Management Co
Horton Housing Association
- Advised Shawbrook Bank Limited and Scarborough Group on a £7m funding line to support Scarborough Group’s property developments in the Greater Manchester area.
- Advised S&M Real Estate and SM Real Estate and Barclays Bank on a multimillion-pound refinance and capital raise in respect of the Grade II listed Britannia buildings in Huddersfield.
- Acted for Persimmon Homes on the £50m purchases of former Castleford and Normanton hospital site for 150 new dwellings.
- Advised Malik Halls on £3m refinancing on a Bradford student accommodation block and three ground floor retail units.
Shoosmiths LLP's Leeds real estate practice, which was launched in late 2016, has expertise in commercial investment, property finance, residential development and retail. The firm, which has a range of national and regional clients, also covers the more niche areas of equity release, motorway service areas and insolvency. Simon Meek leads the team, having notable experience in the investment sector. Matthew Lonergan joined as a partner from DLA Piper UK LLP in August 2018, while Barbara Rollin departed for Gateley Plc.
Other key lawyers:
Palmer Capital Partners
Park Lane Properties
Rhodes Asset Management
The Brooke Group/Quest Property
- Advised Highwood Group in relation to the £350m acquisition of a 62-hectare site at Stoneham Lane, Eastleigh.
- Advising Extra MSA Group on the development and ongoing £50m financing of a new motorway service area in Leeds.
- Acting for Cinnamon Group on the acquisition of luxury care home/retirement schemes with each transaction worth £10m.
- Represented Moorfield Group on the £25m acquisition and forward funding of a student accommodation scheme.
- Represented Allied London on its £300m investment in the old Granada Studios site.
Ward Hadaway's growing property team advises a number of regional residential developers, while also handling property finance work and other commercial development. The team is led by Kevin Weston, who has 25 years of experience working in the Yorkshire region, during which time he has built up a well-established client base. His key specialism is advising charity property holding clients on collaborations with partners covering both mixed use developments and regeneration schemes. David Pridmore is another notable name, being lead partner on work in the energy, property and refinancing sectors. Lucinda Peters, who joined from DWF, undertakes specialist work for private banks, covering development and investment finance.
‘Helen O’Neil & David Pridmore are extremely responsive and constantly provide updates.’
‘David Pridmore is always willing to give advice and comments even if that is without a formal instruction – his advice and comments are presented in a straightforward way and tasks are dealt with promptly and efficiently.’
Canal & River Trust
The Land Restoration Trust
Eshton Group of Companies
Contract Natural Gas
TTS Shipping Group
Freudenberg Filtration Technologies UK
- Dealing with the property aspects of the share sale of Kaystan Holdings, the operaters of a metal trading business across the north of England.
- Acted for Keepmoat Homes on the conditional £7m acquisiton of land in Wakefield for a new housing scheme from the local authority and the ongoing disposal of the affordable units to Wakefield and District Housing.
- Advising TTS on the real estate aspects of its strategic relocation of timber treatment and storage facilities from Alexandra Dock and King George Dock, Hull to new premises at King George Dock and Immingham Dock, Hull.
- Acting for J Pullan & Sons on the acquisition of a site formerly occupied by Kodak at Morley in Leeds.
- Advising Barclays on the refinancing of the property portfolio of a prominent Yorkshire company, a transaction which involved securing a facility over fifty five residential properties which included registered and unregistered land.
Bevan Brittan LLP has a growing real estate team covering both the private and public sectors. The firm's specialisms include advising secured lending clients, as well as private sector commercial developers, pension schemes, charities, industrial companies and education clients. Deborah Powell and Lyndon Campbell are two key partners who lead the private sector work, while Julie Cowan-Clark, who plays an important role in the firm's work in the social housing and residential development spheres, is also recommended.
Hornbeam Park Developments
A Shade Greener
Park Lane Properties
Bestway National Chemists
- Advising Svenska Handelsbanken on the £4.1m refinance of a large portfolio of mixed commercial property ranging from hotel/leisure, industrial and development land.
- Advised WP Holdings on the £1.5m acquisition of an industrial unit in Leeds.
- Advising on multiple lettings for Hornbeam Park Developments following the acquisition and redevelopment of Gardner House in Harrogate.
- Acted for Yorkshire Housing Limited on the acquisition of a development site.
- Acting for Classic Prop Hire Company in the taking of two leases worth £506,000.
Blacks Solicitors LLP's real estate practice advises clients in sectors including leisure, charity, sports, pensions and healthcare. The team is led by Nick Dyson, who has a particular interest in the holiday and home parks market, developing strong client relationships and building the firm's reputation as an authority in the sector. The residential real estate team provides advice on issues including plot sales, leasehold enfranchisement, investment portfolio transfers, finance, and bespoke, hi-value residential conveyancing.
‘All the team understood the key time in a transaction when going the extra mile is essential.’
‘I have total faith and trust in both their integrity and advice.’
‘My main and most important contact within Blacks throughout the time I have been working with them has been Marc Warren. He has a warm and welcome approach to our business. His outlook is always positive and he has made himself available for discussions over and above what would be deemed as everyday work. We have spoken outside of office hours and formed a great friendship over the months we have worked together.’
‘Matthew Hutchinson has always been very responsive, he provides solid advice in difficult situations and takes a sensible/commercial view.
‘Many solicitors spend too long counting the hours. Matthew was happy to work with fixed fees and complete the work on time.’
‘Nick Dyson, Nigel Hoyle and David Patterson are the people who stand out because of their comnmitment to the client and determination to get deals done wherever possible.’
‘Chris Allen is a highly accomplished solicitor and an inspirational leader with fantastic people skills who always displays a positive persona.’
‘Charlotte Spowage and Ian Errington provide a fantastic service.’
‘Chris Waddingham – I think his adaptability and loyalty is admirable as he tackles new challenges.’
‘Nick Dyson and his team are highly professional and excellent communicators. Phone calls/ emails are responded to swiftly and queries are thoroughly and efficiently answered.’
‘I feel like Black’s only client when I talk to them.’
‘A unique blend of commerciality, realism, proactivity and approachability.’
- Advised the managing agent of a block of flats on lease terms, dealing with breach of lease covenants, preparing ancillary agreements, and additional lease regulations.
- Provided a range of legal and management services relating to leasehold residential properties.
Freeths LLP's real estate team focuses on commercial development, leisure and retail, public sector and pharmacy clients. Matthew Thompson leads the practice, and also leads on much of the team's most significant work in sectors including manufacturing, retail and leisure. Liz Banks is another notable name, leading the firm's local government team, with a focus on investment and development transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Glentrool Estates Group
S Harrison Developments
Leeds City Council
Harrogate Borough Council
Prestige Car Direct Properties
- Advised Prestige Car Direct Properties on the proposed £50m development and letting of Fieldon Bridge Retail and Leisure Park.
- Represented Leeds City Council in connection with the £20m redevelopment of a key site in Leeds city centre.
- Represented Wickes on numerous property matters, including the development of new stores and portfolio management.
- Represented Bishopdyke Enterprises Limited in the £4.5m sale and forward funding of a 50,000 sq ft unit at Sherburn2, Sherburn in Elmet to Vickers-Lee Holdings.
- Advised Opus Land on the £10m development of a retail and leisure scheme at Llandudno.
Langleys Solicitors LLP's practice provides the full range of commercial property services, both regionally and nationally, advising developers, investors, banks, pension funds and corporate end users. The team is led by Tim Cross , who focuses on development and investment matters, acting for a roster of retail clients. Another notable name is Emma Warner, who specialises in landlord and tenant matters, property finance and advice to high street retail clients.
Other key lawyers:
W Boyes & Co
In-Site Property Solutions
Bauer Consumer Media Ltd
Arrow Electronics (UK)
York St John University
Bayford & Co (Developments)
York Potash Ltd
- Acted in relation to the grant of an agreement for lease and lease to the Travelodge premises at Monks Cross.
- Advised Connaught Court on the £3m acquisition of land for residential development in York.
- Advised Helmsley Securities on the £2.8m purchase of the freehold of 4 The Cross Worcester for a group of syndicated investors.
- Advised G R Potter Holdings on the £1.4m purchase of an industrial site in Leeds for the expansion of client’s plant hire business.
- Advised Encore Envelopes on an agreement for lease conditional upon the surrender of the existing lease to a third party, and lease of a site in Dewsbury to expand the client’s existing business.
Harrogate firm Raworths' real estate practice handles both commercial and residential property work, attracting clients from the Yorkshire region. The team is led by the 'thorough' Alasdair Inglis who advises on all aspects of mainstream commercial property work, including development, investment, corporate occupier and finance, and has a 'strong knowledge' of the 'key risk areas for lenders'. Another key figure in the firm is the highly experienced Janice Dale, who works with some of the firm's most well-established clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘A long established Harrogate firm with comparable expertise to much larger corporate legal firms. Its commercial property knowledge is strong, particularly for local transactions – the ability to meet at short notice to discuss any potential issues is a key advantage.’
‘The property team at Raworths have been instrumental in the success we have achieved. Leases are drafted swiftly and circulated to the tenants.’
‘If we are unsure of how to deal with any unique legal elements, the firm is happy to offer the relevant advice and explain simply without complications. We can get hold of them and do not have to wait hours or days for emails or phone calls to be returned.’
‘Raworths are able to cover all disciplines relating to property law, specifically both commercial and residential property. They are always able to offer good professional advice but with a common sense approach.’
‘Corporate partner Simon Morris is very well known locally and a key player in the business community. Well connected and possesses a strong business acumen.’
‘Alasdair Inglis is thorough and possesses a strong knowledge of the key risk areas for a lender.’
‘The team carefully assesses each situation and offers clear instructions to tenants who do not have legal representation.’
‘The commercial property team whom I have worked with, specifically John Carter and Ryan Dhinsa, are extremely efficient and are capable of acting on instructions both quickly and professionally. I know that when recommending them for work they will complete matters as swiftly as possible.’
‘They are always on the end of the phone for a catch up and are competitive on fees.’
Rockspring Hanover Property Unit Trust
Yorkshire Wildlife Trust
- Handled year-round Instruction on all landlord and tenant matters for Rockspring Hanover Property Unit Trust, including a lease for 15,000 sq ft for a manufacturing tenant
- Represented a landlord in securing a tenant at its industrial park.
Weightmans is known for its work in the leisure sector, acting for several pub companies. The team is led by James Sargent, who advises clients on development, acquisitions and investment alongside Mark Crabtree , a specialist in the licence and leisure industry. The firm's real estate team also acts for a number of investors and developers including overseas investors buying landmark buildings for conversion into residential apartments.
Andrea Steventon; James Sargen; Mark Crabtree
Greene King Plc
Hoyer Petrolog (UK)
East Riding Fertility Services
Royal Mail Group
Energiepark UK LI GmbH
West Ranga Property Group
Surrey & Sussex Police Forces
Berwins' real estate team is known for its high value commercial development transaction and agricultural work. The, practice, which is led by Jo Randall, is noted locally for advising landowners on various deals including options, conditional contracts and land promotion agreements. The team is also known for its work on freehold and leasehold commercial transactions.
Commercial Development Projects
Pearl Northern Developments
Capsticks LLP's Leeds commercial property team draws on the firm's expertise in the health and social care and housing sectors. The local practice is led by Lisa Geary, who has particular expertise in advising clients in the healthcare sector on major land sales, acquisitions and developments. The firm also has experience in acting on PPP and PFI healthcare schemes as well as acting for GP practices, social enterprises and social care charities.
Greater Manchester Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
Humber NHS Foundation Trust
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals Trust
Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Trust
Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
National Audit Office
Department of Health
- Advised iGene London on the £5m provision of a new mortuary at land adjacent to, and owned by, Stoke Council for the provision of digital autopsy services.
- Advised University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust on £26m property arrangements connected to the transfer of community services from Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS FT to the client, as required by NHS Blackpool CCG.
- Acting for Welwyn Hatfield Borough Council to regularise the commercial leases on a £45m urban regeneration scheme in south Hatfield.
- Advised Chesterfield Royal NHS Foundation Trust in respect of the £1m taking over of three primary care contracts of three failing GP surgeries in the Chesterfield area via a wholly owned subsidiary of the Trust, Royal Primary Care.
- Delivered a programme of advisory work for NHS England, Conexus Group and Cheshire Local Medical Committee for practice managers and GPs around the new models of working at scale and future changes in the delivery of primary care.
DAC Beachcroft LLP's real estate team undertakes a variety of commercial property matters, including acquisitions and disposals of freehold and leasehold properties for private and public sector clients. Alison Key leads the firm's northern real estate team.
The commercial property team at Harrowells Solicitors is led by Stephen Proctor, who specialises in agricultural landholding matters. Another key figure is Matthew Hayward, who focuses on sales, purchases and development, acting for several regional property developers and commercial banking teams, while Martin Thorpe acts for a number of regional residential housing developers.
Other key lawyers:
Matthew Hayward; Martin Thrope
LCF Law acts for a range of commercial property clients, including builders and developers, charities and pension funds with property estates or investments, as well as leaseholders and tenants. Sectors covered by the firm include healthcare, retail, investment, commercial and residential development, as well as agricultural and rural planning. The practice is led by Paul Anderson , who also leads the firm's charity team.
‘David Jameson is always accessible, understands our approach, and is happy to openly discuss all aspects of our requirements.’
McCormicks covers both commercial and residential property work and acts for a range of clients including owner occupiers, organisations, private individuals, charities, developers and portfolio investors. The team is headed by Heather Roberts, who advises on the full range of commercial property deals, advising high street retailers and retail schemes acting for both tenants and landlords. She has also worked with major developers, public bodies and occupiers to design, fund and deliver regeneration schemes.
Royal Horticultural Society
John Strutt Conservation Foundation
The Premier League
Leeds United FC
Yorkshire Agricultural Society
John Strutt Centre for Parrot Conservation
John Strutt Memorial Foundation
The John Strutt Charity
- Advising Yorkshire Agricultural Society on exit from nine-year promotion agreement with Gladman Developments for the development of a residential in fill site in Harrogate.
- Advised Leeds United on the first investment letting at the Elland Road stadium of two floors of the East Stand to Quindell.
- Advised the Premier League on landlord and tenant issues and the internal redevelopment of Premier League’s headquarters in London.
- Advised on the expansion of the Royal Horticultural Society’s estate with the acquisition of land and buildings.
- Provided real estate advice for a shooting client, including on tenancy of Heathfield and Hardcastle Grouse Moors.
Metis Law Limited
Metis Law Limited's growing real estate team offers property finance and development finance advice, boasting a diverse client base including high net worth individuals, startup entrepreneurs and nationally known brands. The team is led by the 'commercially minded' Richard Longton , who advises on hotels, leisure parks, retail parks, student accommodation, convenience store developments and care homes. The firm has been described as 'the best hands-on law firm in Leeds'.
‘Great team, good people and always on hand to help, wherever they can.’
‘Metis Law is the best hands-on law firm in Leeds, offering client service second to none, catering to our needs when required.’
‘Professional and always get the job done.’
‘The partners build a close friendship with the clients which helps with communications and give their opinions in layman’s terms.’
‘Richard Longton really provides a fantastic service. A very commercially minded lawyer able to always assist with a potential solution to any problem.’
‘Friendly, available, responsive and down to earth, amongst many other qualities.’
Afan Valley Limited
Cadman Housing Project / Real Housing Foundation
Warrior Group of Companies
The Yoo Group
Leeds and London Properties
Whisper Hotel Group
Dum Dum Donughts
- Represented Northern Powerhouse Developments on its £5.5m refinancing of its national hotel and care home portfolio.
- Represented Northern Powerhouse Developments on a number of national hotel acquisitions, each worth more than £1m.
- Represented Z&F Properties on the £1m acquisition of a multi-let West Yorkshire shopping centre and ongoing leasehold work.
- Represented AS Plaza on £300,000 acquisition of a multi let building in Leeds city centre.
- Advised K Lalani on £1m acquisition of a business that included care homes and educational establishments.
Ramsdens' team is led by Kirsty Jackson , who was promoted to head of commercial property in September 2018. She specialises in the landlord, tenant and property services sector, covering offices, restaurants and retail premises. She also acts for property investors and developers in regards to acquisitions and disposal of multi-let sites. The firm's recent acquisition of Huddersfield firm Holroyd & Co boosted the team with the addition of a consultant and a solicitor.
‘Very proactive. Always available to discuss issues and good at providing solutions to problems. Cost competitive compared to legal firms in Leeds’.
‘Kirsty Jackson is extremely proactive and always contactable. She has a great ‘can do’ attitude’.
‘The practice has a wide variety of legal practitioners who are always prepared to assist me with respect to the wide variety of tasks that occur within my daily workload. They are always prepared to give me the benefit of their advice when I need it’.
‘I work closely with Karen James, Jan Walters and Simon Mills. They are both very knowledgeable in their respective fields and understand not only their own jobs but realize the commercial realities of them’.
- Acting for the borrower on the refinance of the Grade II listed historic mill buildings occupied by the Titanic Spa.
- Advised on relocation of the Expect Distribution premises to Euroway Business Park in Bradford.
- Advised Autex Acoustics, a UK subsidiary of a manufacturing business, on the relocation of its UK base from Liverpool to West Yorkshire.