Construction in West Midlands
Gowling WLG fields a 'very experienced, engaging and well-respected group of construction specialists' who act for developers, contractors and institutional purchasers and investors across a variety of sectors including the energy, retail, hospitality and leisure, infrastructure and nuclear energy industries. Richard Green is a non-contentious specialist, who focuses on construction and engineering contracts and is experienced in onshore and offshore projects; while principle associate Gemma Whittaker is recommended for major regeneration projects. Michael O’Shea leads the contentious team, which includes Ashley Pigott, Sue Ryan and Daniel Wood.
‘A group of very experienced, engaging and well respected construction specialists with good attention to client needs.’
‘Daniel Wood and Ashley Pigott are both exceptional dispute lawyers and I use Daniel for complex advisory and settlement issues because of his thorough attention to detail.’
Nuclear Decommissioning Authority
John Sisk & Son
Pemberstone (Green Quarter) Reversions Limited
Organising Committee for Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
- Advising Castlepoint LP, the owner of a shopping centre, on issues arising from a settlement agreement with Kier Construction to rebuild a car park, which was defectively designed and built.
- Drafting and negotiating the building contract for the redevelopment and restoration of the Royal Shakespeare Company’s workshop, which is opposite the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.
- Acting for Sheffield City Council on all the construction aspects of its Heart of the City II redevelopment.
Squire Patton Boggs leverages its top expertise in cross-border transactions and construction disputes, mostly notably in the energy sector; it also handles commercial developments and infrastructure projects. Standout matters include advising Japanese EPC contractor J Power Systems and Sumitomo Electric on the third UK Europe electrical interconnector as part of the £800m interconnector for the Elia/National Grid combination venture. 'Industry heavyweight' Graeme Bradley, Robert Norris and Ray O’Connor handle all aspects of contentious and non-contentious matters within the construction and engineering arena.
Other key lawyers:
‘Graeme Bradley is an industry heavyweight.’
Al Shamsh General Contracting
Arena Events Group plc
Association of Decentralised Energy
Atlantic Projects Company Limited
Baglan Operations Limited
Blackpool Borough Council
Calon Energy Limited / Macquarie
- Advising Blackpool Borough Council on the construction of a light rail system including the management of contractual issues during the project.
- Advising Frontier Energy on the EPC contracts for the construction of two solar plants in Kenya and disputes arising out of defects, delays and cost overruns.
- Advising Envirogen on numerous non-contentious and contentious matters across its waste water and processing portfolio including new projects and various exit arrangements.
At Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP, Peter Scurlock specialises in non-contentious construction and engineering work, advising clients on procurement strategies and contract issues. Scurlock is experienced in all major contract forms, including the FIDIC, JCT, NEC, MF/1 and IChemE forms as well as bespoke framework and alliance agreements. David Jones stands out for his work on the procurement of major energy, transport, water, utilities construction and engineering projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Good sensible construction advice. Not showy, but always practical, value for money and goes to the key issues.’
‘Peter Scurlock provides a calm head and sage counsel.’
‘Provides thorough and consistently good advice and legal support in a timely manner, meets expectations and frequently exceeds expectations.’
‘David Jones and Peter Scurlock bring a great level of expertise and experience, are responsive and provide pragmatic and solution-based advice.’
‘Peter Scurlock is a calm and reassuring presence when navigating complex issues. He is knowledgeable, experienced and very pleasant to deal with.’
Singled out for its experience working with household names in the housebuilder and property development industries, Gateley Plc handles transactional, contractual and dispute resolution work in the construction space. On the contentious side, the team is involved in high-value claims concerning cladding disputes arising from the aftermath of the Grenfell Tower disaster. In a non-contentious project, the team is advising Historic England on a landmark heritage development regarding the construction of a footbridge connecting the island ruins of Tintagel Castle to the mainland. Peter Davies, Amira Khan and litigator, Paul Scott are the key figures.
McCarthy and Stone PLC
West Coast Trains
Jaguar Land Rover
Colmore Tang Construction
- Advising Tosca Mill Ltd on the construction and refurbishment of 500 apartments at Radford Mills, Nottingham.
- Supporting Coventry and Warwickshire Development Partnership LLP on the construction of a new £180m Gateway South commercial park in Coventry.
- Advising the developer, Concierge 3 Limited, regarding the construction of two hotels and a school at a site in Paddington, London.
Mills & Reeve LLP's full-service practice is instructed by leading contractors, developers and public and private sector clients in the energy, education, health and hospitality industries. Stuart Pemble heads up the transactional construction group and national academies practice, alongside Martino Giaquinto who focuses on projects and disputes resolution.
‘The team at Mills & Reeve is responsive and adaptable.’
‘Always ready to pull out all the stops and come up with what’s needed even at short notice. Individuals of particular note are Martino Giaquinto and Stuart Pemble.’
‘Clear, direct, straightforward advice and guidance.’
‘We felt the knowledge and advice we received from the individuals we dealt with was first class. The implications of a course of action were explained fully and the possible negative/positive ramifications were explained. Also the cost of taking any actions was fully and clearly explained.’
Adhara Property Holdings Limited
Barking and Dagenham College
- Advising Arora Group on the drafting and negotiation of all of the contracts for its bid to design and build Heathrow Terminal 6.
- Acting for English Architectural Glazing in defence of CPR Part 8 High Court proceedings commenced by ISG for various legal declarations arising out of a previous adjudication between the parties.
- Advising Barking and Dagenham College on the drafting and negotiation of all documents for the College’s transformation of its existing Block D building into the Centre for Advanced Technologies.
Shoosmiths LLP's team provides end-to-end support to contractors, funders, developers, investors, property companies, public and private sector employers and end-user occupiers on the full spectrum of construction transactions and contentious work. Ian Yule handles all types of disputes, including valuation claims, defective work issues and negligence actions. Group head Patrick Garner and Andrew Outram focus on complex development, regeneration, environmental and construction transactions, assisted by associate Simon Colegate. Michael Bennett is another 'standout associate' with particular expertise in technical process and infrastructure disputes.
‘Michael Bennett is a standout associate. Michael was extremely helpful through the entire project. He not only gave me legal advice but also was so in tune with the project that we also discussed technical issues. Michael was always “there” when I needed him for all advice on every aspect of the project (legal or technical).’
St Modwen Properties PLC
McKay Securities PLC
Walgreens Boots Alliance Group
Citigrove Securities PLC
Kier Living Limited
- Advising Baldwin House Ltd on the demolition of an existing building and the design and construction of a twelve story office building in the City of London as well as the letting and potential sale of the building.
- Advising IM Properties Plc on the new £225m and 82 acre employment park at Hinckley, Leicestershire.
- Advised Walgreens Alliance Boots on a number of major upgrades to its existing warehouse facilities which have included major structural works and the installation of new Mechanical Handling Equipment.
Anthony Collins Solicitors LLP predominantly assists clients in the local government, social housing, charities and education sectors with construction-related contracts and construction disputes. Andrew Lancaster specialises in contentious construction and procurement-related work. On the non-contentious side, Andrew Millross and Richard Brooks advise on the procurement of large maintenance, improvement and development projects.
‘The team has great attention to detail and customer-centric services.’
The Riverside Group
The National College for Digital Skills
Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council
- Advising Riverside Group on entering into a joint venture with Bovis for the delivery of a £900m mixed-use development.
- Advising Acivico on the procurement of the repairs and maintenance lots to the Constructing West Midlands framework in partnership with Sandwell Council.
- Assisting Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council with setting up a framework for contractors for both HRA and new-build developments.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
At Harrison Clark Rickerbys, the 'very responsive and helpful' Andrew James handles a variety of construction-related contractual work for main and specialist contractors and developers. James and Keith Blizzard also represent clients in disputes arising out of building projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent knowledge of all areas of the law.’
‘Andrew James is always very responsive and helpful.’
University of Gloucestershire
Lloyds Bank plc
Royal National College for the Blind
Pinsent Masons LLP
Nigel Blundell heads up the construction department at Pinsent Masons LLP, where he specialises in the negotiation and drafting of construction contracts. The team advises owners, developers and institutional investors on large-scale real estate developments and infrastructure projects nationwide. Recent infrastructure projects the group had advised on include the Port of Tilbury project and the Commonwealth Games swimming pool project.
‘Nigel Blundell, technically sound, hands on with practical advice.’
Galliford Try PLC
Arena Central Developments LLP
- Advised Forterra on the contracts for the construction of its new brick production facility in Leicestershire, the largest of its kind in Europe.
- Advised a contractor consortium for the East of Leeds rail alliance on the restructuring and variation of the project alliance agreement and renegotiated the contractual arrangements with the key designer.
- Advised Sandwell Borough Council on the construction contract for the aquatics centre for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP undertakes a variety of non-contentious and contentious construction work, with niche expertise in managing risk in bespoke procurement matters. Clients praise the group, which is led by Ruth Phillips, for 'spanning the gap between legal advice and practical project delivery'. Phillips is noted for her expertise in drafting and negotiating all forms of building contracts, collateral warranties, performance bonds and parent company guarantees. Kate Onions specialises in construction disputes, acting for clients including developers, employers, contractors and subcontractors, while also handling professional negligence claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team we deal with are all individual experts and approachable at all times with a common goal of providing the advice required to determine the required outcomes.’
‘The team spans the gap between legal advice and practical project delivery. The team is grounded in the reality of construction projects; their advice is sound, robust and delivered without abstract points of law.’
‘Ruth Phillips is a stand-out in the team, providing expert and practical advice. Her experience is varied and a tenacious negotiator… but always securing the really important points rather than spinning out discussions needlessly.’
‘Kate Onions stands out as a lawyer I’d be happy to give work to at any time. She is genuinely interested in our business; she constantly seeks feedback – and listens/acts on that feedback. She shares information and knowledge collaboratively.’
‘A great team, practical and commercially driven. Provides London quality work at Birmingham prices.’
‘We work mostly with Ruth Phillips and find her to be very responsive and efficient.’
Citizen Housing Group Limited
Max Barney Developments Limited
PSG Global Limited
Walsall Housing Group
- Advising Wiltshire College on its major redevelopment programme, which has been assisted by a £22m investment by Swindon and Wilshire Local Enterprise Partnership into the Salisbury and Lackham campuses.
- Advising on phase two of the construction of the Catalyst building at Staffordshire University.
- Advising a family-owned London property company on an office development on Tabernacle Street, Shoreditch.
Trowers & Hamlins LLP has a broad practice, which advises clients on all stages of the development process on commercial, mixed-use and residential developments, private sector schemes, regeneration schemes for the private and the public sector, and education projects for the EFA. In the non-contentious space, Mark Robinson is the go-to partner for procurement structures, strategies and construction project documentation.
‘Mark Robinson – very much a team player with client teams.’
‘Very adaptive and supportive to deliver client requirements.’
Graven Hill Village Development Company Limited
East Northamptonshire Council
Legal & General Affordable Homes
Platform Housing Group Limited
Wolverhampton City Council
Camden & Islington NHS Foundation Trust
- Advising the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham’s Growth & Place Team on a proposed development partnership between the borough and a major educational charity and multi-academy trust, for the creation of EdCity, an education-led mixed-use scheme.
- Advised Gateway Housing Association on the construction aspects of the acquisition of affordable units from mixed-use property developer Rockwell at its development at Westferry, London.
- Instructed to handle the construction documents needed to support the acquisition of a development site from Salford MBC, and its development and subsequent leasing to a local GP consortium in Manchester.
Wright Hassall LLP
Michael Hiscock leads the construction and engineering procurement practice at Wright Hassall LLP and is particularly well versed in major infrastructure projects, government frameworks, sports stadium work, national heritage site issues and large-scale factory engineering automation contracts. Philip Harris has over 30 years experience advising on all aspects of construction law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Michael Hiscock provides quick responses, is very easy to deal with and understands our business very well.’
Ashe Construction Group
- Advising Buckingham Group on the contract to build a new Worcestershire Parkway train station, including the works contract with the council and also the Network Rail indemnity agreement.
- Advising PJA Engineers on a negotiation with Lendlease and Birmingham City Council relating to the key design liability aspects of the 2022 Commonwealth Games, particularly on issues concerning contracts to deliver the athletes’ village, which will also provide legacy housing stock for Birmingham.
- Advising Coventry Cathedral on preservation works relating to the new Pavilion extension project.
The Birmingham-based construction practice at Browne Jacobson LLP is led by 'excellent strategist' Martin Cannon, whose practice includes handling PFI disputes in the health, education, and local government sectors, and acting in claims for major contractors. The team regularly advises funders and developers on construction documents and security provided for large housing developments.
‘High levels of technical knowledge, very responsive, nothing is a problem.’
‘Martin Cannon is an excellent strategist and leader.’
BAM Construction Limited
Blackpool Borough Council
Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust
London Borough of Enfield
NMCN Plc (formerly North Midland Construction)
Performances Birmingham Limited (Birmingham Symphony Hall)
University College Birmingham
- Defending BAM Construction in relation to a substantial claim for defects arising from a mixed-use development on the South coast.
- Advised Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust on the removal of soft FM services from a PFI contract and then the site-wide long-term re-procurement of wider FM services.
- Advising on the procurement route for the development of the Symphony Hall in Birmingham, preparing a pre-construction services agreement, consultants appointments and Pagabo framework approved building contract for the works.
Focusing primarily on non-contentious work, DLA Piper's Birmingham group is led by nationwide construction head Stephen Malley, who is 'backed up by a skilled and efficient team'. Malley advises clients on procurement, construction and development work, with experience in a range of sectors, including the hotel, leisure and life sciences industries. Victoria Ball is recommended for drafting and negotiating construction contracts and development agreements.
Other key lawyers:
‘Full understanding of the specific requirements of our business needs and tailoring the product to suit our purposes and streamline future requirements. Strong commercial advice and acumen from Stephen Malley.’
‘Good partner leadership and understand client requirements, backed up by a skilled and efficient team.’
Far East Consortium
- Advising Far East Consortium on the preparation and negotiation of all construction contracts, appointments and ancillary documents relating to a multi-phase mixed-use development in South Quays, Canary Wharf, to be known as Consort Place.
- Advising UPS in relation to its £114m development of a freight hub at East Midlands Airport.
Freeths LLP recently bolstered its construction practice with the recruitment of Alex Johnson from Squire Patton Boggs in early 2020. Johnson specialises in the management and resolution of complex construction disputes, often with an cross-border angle. Perveen Akhter heads up the department and concentrates on transactional construction work for local authorities, universities, developers, contractors and subcontractors.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team combine good old-fashioned professionalism and expert knowledge with modern working practices such as extended hours availability, rapid and effective communications and flexible information platforms.’
‘Perveen Akhter has been one of the best lawyers I have worked with in years. She combines expert specialist knowledge with an in-depth appreciation of other aspects of the complex real estate industry. Perveen always provides concise but well-evidenced advice with a pragmatic and conciliatory approach to problems that is most refreshing. She is always up-beat and no problem is too much – in all an absolute pleasure to work with.’
Greswolde Construction Limited
- Advised Broxtowe Borough Council on the terms of the building contract (NEC4), consultants appointments, and agreement for lease with the Arc Cinema, collateral warranties for tenants and the local authority, and security documents.
- Advised Cherwell District Council on a suite of construction documents for Phase 2 of the Castle Quay Shopping Centre in Banbury.
- Advising concrete contractor PCE Limited on a design and build subcontract as part of the redevelopment of Paradise Circus.
Rachael Hobbis at Higgs & Sons specialises in drafting contracts to account for bespoke circumstances. She also handles construction procurement matters and represents developers and contractors in civil engineering disputes.
RTS Construction Group
Cassidy Group Property Limited
London & Cambridge Properties
Inland Homes PLC
Edmond Shipway LLP
- Assisted Cassidy Group Property with the drafting and preparation of collateral warranties and associated underlying documents from the professional team, contractor and sub-contractors.
- Acting for LCP Estates (London & Cambridge Properties) in pursuing a claim to rectify defective car park works at a retail park against the main contractor.
- Advising Inland Homes PLC and its subsidiaries on a variety of construction-related legal matters.