Construction in West Midlands
The 'highly experienced' team at Gowling WLG has an impressive track record in all construction-related work, advising developers, institutional investors and contractors on projects in the energy, infrastructure, commercial development, retail, leisure and hospitality sectors. Team co-heads Michael O'Shea and Richard Green lead on contentious and non-contentious matters respectively. The 'excellent' Ashley Pigott comes highly recommended for his broad expertise, as does Daniel Wood, who specialises in dispute resolution relating to energy, petrochemical and engineering projects. Below partner level, principal associate Gemma Whittaker is well versed in all aspects of non-contentious construction and engineering law, while 'unflappable' associate Sarah Dyer regularly handles adjudications and other proceedings.
Michael O’Shea; Richard Green
‘The go-to construction team in Birmingham, with a wider reach all over the UK and internationally, for both contentious and non-contentious work‘
‘Gowling WLG really cares about the people working in its teams, and in turn the teams really care about their clients. There is a determination to achieve the best result for every client‘
‘Highly experienced, commercial, high quality lawyers. They are able to draw on their embedded contractor focused experience and understanding of contractors needs, and combine those with their developer claims experience. Which ever side of the fence you fall, they offer top draw construction expertise‘
‘They have bright and hard working associates‘
‘Ashley Pigott and Daniel Wood are head and shoulders above their geographical competitors. Ashley Pigott is extremely clever, unflappable and provides a very commercial and responsive service to his clients‘
‘Ashley Pigott is calm, sensible and very commercially minded. An excellent lawyer‘
‘Ashley Pigott is commercially astute and enormously experienced. He is sensible, experienced in construction litigation, supportive and measured‘
‘Daniel Wood has a very strong construction and energy practice with an ever growing international disputes book to complement his domestic practice‘
‘I was hugely impressed by Sarah Dyer on a recent arbitration. She managed a very tricky and challenging dispute in a high pressured environment, with a demanding client. Unflappable‘
‘Sarah Dyer is hard working, thoughtful and clever‘
St. Modwen Properties Plc
IM Properties PLC
Ash & Lacy Building Systems Limited
The Office Group
Alstom Transport (UK) Limited
Sheffield City Council
E.ON Climate & Renewables
The developer of Admiralty Arch, London
- Advising Barnet Council on the procurement and construction elements, including construction contracts and agreements with Network Rail, in relation to the closure of existing rail freight facilities, and the delivery of a new rail freight facility and new railway station.
- Advising a global power generation, energy and utilities provider on the drafting of an EPC contract based on the new 2017 FIDIC Silver book for the engineering, procurement and construction of a new combined cycle gas turbine power station.
- Assisted pub company Charles Wells with procurement route and all construction documentation for the construction of a new brewery and visitor centre.
- Advising Meggitt on the construction of its new manufacturing facility at Ansty Park by developers Manse Opus.
- Advising IM Properties on the construction of its £30m purpose-built, state of the art campus including offices, a training academy and offices for Christian Vision.
Squire Patton Boggs has excellent cross-border contentious and non-contentious capabilities, acting for a strong roster of international clients, often under the leadership of the highly regarded Graeme Bradley. Robert Norris also takes the lead on a wide range of multi-jurisdictional and national matters, with particular strength in the energy sector; Ray O'Connor has extensive experience in construction and engineering. On the contentious side, senior associate Alex Johnson is recommended. Richard Vaughan and Daniel Barchet left to join Weightmans LLP during 2018.
Graeme Bradley; Robert Norris
Other key lawyers:
Ray O’Connor; Alex Johnson
‘The partners are very hands on and approachable and have excellent knowledge of the issues and developments‘
‘Rob Norris is very practical, interested in results and ensuring that our position is protected‘
Al Shamsh General Contracting
Arena Events Group plc
Association of Decentralised Energy
Atlantic Projects Company Limited
Baglan Operations Limited
Blackpool Borough Council
Calon Energy Limited / Macquarie
Citic Construction UK Limited and China Citic Bank
Claremont Land & New Homes Limited
Envirogen Water Technologies Limited
Inception Holdings SARL
Johnson & Johnson Finance Limited
Johnson & Johnson Innovation Limited
Kentucky Fried Chicken
Midas Construction Limited
Molson Coors Brewing Company
Pannonia Ethanol ZRT
RTS Technology Solutions Limited (t/a Vanti)
Selfridges Retail Limited
Sky UK Limited
Sumitomo Corporation / J Powers Systems
Sutton Bridge Power Generation
The University of Law
UK Power Reserve
Watkin Jones Contractors
Window and Door Maintenance Services Limited
Wyre Borough Council
- Advising Blackpool Borough Council in relation to the £100m+ light rail system, including ongoing management of contractual issues during the project.
- Acting for Sumitomo/J Power Systems on the third power interconnector between the UK and Europe, an £800m projects which is the largest the client has ever undertaken outside of Asia.
- Advising Claremont Land & New Homes on its successful bid to regenerate a site at Holloway Head in Birmingham for the city council.
- Advising Calon Energy on various new contracts and contract extensions in relation to the construction of power stations in the UK.
- Advising Inception Holdings on the design and construction of a multi-use retail, leisure and commercial facility worth £20m.
The Birmingham construction team at Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP is well known for handling heavyweight energy, infrastructure and utility projects. Focusing on non-contentious work, the 'brilliant' Peter Scurlock and the 'technical' David Jones advise infrastructure owners and utility companies on the drafting of framework agreements as well as the negotiation of construction contracts and professional appointments. Another area of expertise for the firm is commercial development.
Peter Scurlock; David Jones
‘Peter Scurlock is an impressive lawyer with a good practice‘
‘Peter Scurlock is a brilliant mind‘
‘David Jones is a very good technical lawyer‘
National Grid Group (including National Grid Gas and National Grid Electricity)
National Grid Interconnector Holdings Ltd / Energinet
RWE (including RWE Generation UK plc, Npower Limited and Innogy Renewables UK)
Network Rail Infrastructure Limited
Severn Trent Water
Land Securities plc
Cadent Gas Limited
- Advising NNB Generation Company on numerous contract packages in relation to the construction of the new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point C.
- Advising the joint venture between National Grid and Energinet on the drafting and negotiation of construction contracts for the construction of an electricity transmission link between mainland UK and Denmark.
- Advising Heathrow Airport in relation to a number of construction projects, including framework agreements, building contracts and design services appointments.
- Advising SEGRO on the design and build procurement of a major production facility and logistics park known as the East Midlands Gateway development.
- Advising Nikal on the development at Exchange Square in Birmingham’s city centre including 373 residential units.
The 'capable team' at Gateley Plc provides comprehensive advice on a wide range of real estate matters, advising a impressive client roster including national and regional contractors, developers and prominent housebuilders. Chief operations officer and construction disputes specialist Peter Davies focuses on housing disputes involving professional negligence and defective design claims, and is supported by legal director Paul Scott, who is an 'excellent contentious lawyer'. Amira Khan is noted for her broad expertise and David Lloyd Jones specialises in non-contentious work.
Emlyn Hudson (Manchester)
‘Friendly, approachable and down to earth. Commercial approach‘
‘Very quick to respond, creative solutions and overall very helpful‘
‘Very capable team of lawyers, who go over and above what has been asked of them. Always deliver in a timely and efficient manner and are incredibly thorough in their advice‘
‘Gateley is very good at communication‘
‘Peter Davies is an excellent all rounder‘
‘Paul Scott always goes the extra mile and provides clear practical advice‘
‘Director Paul Scott is an excellent contentious lawyer – he is always there for you and tells you the answer‘
‘Mark Lennon is a hard working and focused associate‘
Jaguar Land Rover
Regal (West Point) Limited
Volvo Group UK Limited
The Coleman Group
Crest Nicholson PLC
Bovis Homes Limited
Clarion Housing Association
Millennium Point Property Limited
Colmore Tang Construction Limited
Submarine Manufacturing and Products Limited
Universal Piling and Construction Limited
- Advising Bovis Homes in connection the procurement of its flagship development at Stanton Cross.
- Represented Volvo UK in a £3m professional negligence claim arising from a defective pavement at one of its flagship truck depots.
- Advised Icon Harlow on the purchase of the site, the demolition of a commercial unit and the construction of several units to create a logistics and warehouse space.
- Represented Taylor Wimpey as developer on the £100m build of a mixed use development including around 700 apartments in Farringdon, London.
- Advising Alyjiso on the construction and extension of an ‘aparthotel’ in East London.
Mills & Reeve LLP
Mills & Reeve LLP is highly regarded for its contentious expertise under the leadership of Martino Giaquinto, who represents clients from the energy, infrastructure, education and construction sectors in various multi-jurisdictional and national disputes relating to delay, defect and cost claims. Stuart Pemble leads on non-contentious matters, and is often instructed by universities and colleges to handle their construction projects. Principal associate Paul Slinger left to join Wright Hassall LLP in July 2018.
Stuart Pemble; Martino Giaquinto
‘Mills & Reeve have a really good reputation‘
‘Martino Giaquinto is an impressive lawyer with a good practice‘
‘Martino Giaquinto is a technically excellent lawyer‘
Cheval Group of companies
The Law Society
University of Birmingham
Offshore Design Engineering
The Pulse Group Limited
Barking and Dagenham College
- Drafting and negotiating the documents necessary for the refurbishment of the Law Society’s landmark Chancery Lane HQ.
- Drafting and assisting in the negotiations of all of the construction documents for seven different projects at Coventry University’s campuses in both London and Coventry.
- Drafting and negotiating all of the documents for a range of Cheval Group’s projects including Gloucester Park, 55-91 Knightsbridge, Moreau House, 57 Campden Hill Road in London, and Watling Park in Daventry.
- Drafting and negotiating all of the documents for Barking and Dagenham College’s transformation of its existing Block D building into the Centre for Advanced Technologies.
- Drafting and negotiating all of the documents for Cranfield University’s numerous campus projects.
Shoosmiths LLP acts for contractors, funders, developers, investors, and property companies on the design, demolition and construction of infrastructure, industrial, office and residential developments; Patrick Garner is the main point of contact, supported by senior associate Andrew Outram. In other work, Ian Yule , Stephen Belshaw and senior associate Michael Bennett handle disputes regarding adjudications, breach of contract and negligence claims.
‘An exceptional level of engagement – clear and professional when explaining and exploring options.’
St Modwen Properties PLC
McKay Securities PLC
Walgreens Boots Alliance Group (formerly Alliance Boots Group)
Citigrove Securities PLC
Kier Living Limited
HP Inc UK Limited
I.M. Properties Plc
Spitfire Bespoke Homes Limited
Staticus (UK) Limited
- Advising on the design and construction of a large turnkey rail manufacturing facility and rail connection at Llanwern, Newport as well as the original remediation and reclamation works to facilitate the development
- Advising on the new £225m and 82 acres employment park at Hinckley, Leicestershire
- Advising on the demolition of the existing warehouse and the design and construction of a logistics unit adjacent to Junction 12 of the M4
- Advised Boots in relation to a number of major upgrades to its existing warehouse facilities which have included major structural works and the installation of new Mechanical Handling Equipment
- Advising Baldwin House on the demolition of an existing building and the design and construction of twelve story office building in the heart of the City of London
The construction team at Anthony Collins Solicitors LLP has expertise advising clients in the housing, sports and leisure, local government and charities sectors on matters including new-build projects, fire safety and procurement. The group is led by Richard Brooks and Andrew Milcross on the non-contentious side, while Andrew Lancaster acts as head of the litigation practice, which includes an adjudication practice handling disputes in the public and private housing sector. NEC contracts specialist Ross Hayes retired in September 2018 but continues to serve as a consultant to the firm.
Richard Brooks; Andrew Lancaster; Andrew Millross
Other key lawyers:
Rajinder Bhangal; Beulah Allaway
‘The whole team work with a social conscience and is very aware of the client’s objectives and needs. They work to ensure resources are focused on what matters, determine the highest areas of risk to the client and minimise costs‘
‘High level of professionalism and expertise in their field with the ability to explain complex legal matters in lay terms and to explain the effect on the client and the client’s activities‘
‘As a charity, we appreciate Anthony Collins’ understanding of our values and of what is important to us. The construction team have worked on a number of projects for us and have been flexible and knowledgeable‘
‘Beulah Allaway is very approachable. She takes a sensible approach and is very responsive‘
Riding for the Disabled Association Incorporating Carriage Driving
Clarion Housing Group Limited
Lincolnshire County Council
Sports and Leisure Management Limited
The Salvation Army Trustee Company
The British Library
- Advising Riding for the Disabled Association Incorporating Carriage Driving in relation to construction work for a head office.
- Acting for Clarion Housing Group in carrying out responsive repairs in house, following the merger of the Affinity Sutton and Circle Housing Associations.
- Supported Lincolnshire County Council in developing its forthcoming 12-year highways contracts for works, design services and signalling.
- Advising Sports and Leisure Management as Three Rivers District Council contractor for the running of three leisure centres and a golf course, including a multi-million-pound development at the Centre.
- Acting for the Salvation Army Trustee Company on engaging contractors for demolition works, design and build works and design and fit out works for a visitor centre at Strawberry Field, Liverpool.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys
With offices in both Birmingham and Worcester, Harrison Clark Rickerbys assists contractors, housebuilders and corporates on commercial and housing developments, including assistance for tenders and drafting of new contract documentation. Another strong area of the practice is contentious work - practice head Andrew James and Keith Blizzard act as adjudicators and legal advisers in disputes over issues including delay claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘Harrison Clark Rickerbys promptly and efficiently deals with any requests we have‘
‘The construction team has a wide range of expertise – an excellent group‘
‘Very approachable team with a practical knowledge of the construction industry‘
‘Andrew James is always happy to assist and provides a reliable quality service‘
‘Andrew James has always impressed me by his thoughtful and constructive advice. He almost always provides a comprehensive review of our position during a telephone conversation, without the need for time to consider the issues and report back‘
University of Gloucestershire
Lloyds Bank plc
Royal National College for the Blind
Apex Contractors Limited
- Instructed by contractor Speller Metcalfe to advise it on certain aspects of the £11m Dudley College CABTech Project.
- Acting for a leisure centre constructor and operator in a dispute with a local authority and national contractor relating to delays and potential financial consequences in the construction of a leisure centre.
- Advised WM Housing on legal and financial issues which enabled it to settle a disputed final account without formal dispute resolution procedures.
The Birmingham team at Pinsent Masons LLP, which focuses on non-contentious work, is led by Nigel Blundell, who has advised a number of contractors on issues relating to the collapse of Carillion. The team acts for an impressive range of public and private sector clients, including some of the best-known names in the property and infrastructure sphere, and works in tandem with the firm's market-leading lawyers across the UK on major matters.
Balfour Beatty PLC
Galliford Try PLC
Arena Central Developments LLP
- Advising Grainger on its forward funding of a private rental sector development in the centre of Birmingham.
Shakespeare Martineau LLP assists clients with issues relating to commercial and housing developments, advising engineering companies, universities, contractors, developers and insolvency practitioners on defects, delays, professional negligence and payment claims. Practice head Ruth Phillips handles a wide range of work and is supported on the contentious side by the well-regarded Kate Onions. Legal director Rachael Hobbis left to join Higgs & Sons in May 2018.
Other key lawyers:
Max Barney Developments Limited
PSG Global Limited
Boningale Homes Limited
- Advising Capreon on the due diligence of construction documentation for its £164m acquisition of two retail parks in England and Scotland.
- Advising Wiltshire College on construction contracts for the redevelopment of its campuses.
- Advising Max Barney Developments on a retail and hotel development in Lambeth.
- Negotiating the contract terms of PSG Global’s appointment to carry out fit-out works for a major travel company.
- Advising new client Boningale Homes on highways and construction documentation in place for a large rural housing development in Shropshire.
Mark Robinson at Trowers & Hamlins LLP leads the firm's non-contentious practice, which handles work on design and build contracts, tenders and procurement relating to housing and commercial projects. Vijay Bange focuses on dispute resolution and leads the team on contentious remediation and payment matters for domestic and international clients.
Mark Robinson; Vijay Bange
‘The firm is highly flexible, answers the phone straight away, gives time to explain difficult situations and understands client needs from the outset‘
‘A personal relationship and explanations that the layman can understand all help bring confidence to our relationship. A flexible can-do attitude also helps‘
‘Mark Robinson has an excellent knowledge of procurement and contract law. He has always delivered excellent advice and helped us navigate our way through a series of complex legal issues to arrive at a successful outcome. He is a trusted partner and we really appreciate the support he gives us‘
Colmore Tang Construction
Lagan Construction Group Holdings Limited
McDermotts Civil Engineering
- Advising The Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society on the procurement of design services and building works for the redevelopment of the Dorset County Museum.
Wright Hassall LLP
Wright Hassall LLP has outstanding expertise across a range of contentious and non-contentious work, including commercial development, infrastructure projects, contractual disputes as well as payment and defect claims. Philip Harris has a strong pedigree on the contentious side, acting as a commercial arbitrator, mediator and adjudicator; while the 'thorough' Michael Hiscock handles construction and engineering advisory work. In July 2018, Nichola Vine left to join Warwickshire County Council, while the 'highly skilled' Paul Slinger joined from Mills & Reeve LLP.
Philip Harris; Michael Hiscock
Other key lawyers:
‘Very good depth of knowledge on construction contract documentation‘
‘Wright Hassall have a very firm knowledge of the construction industry, and a very commercial attitude to the wants of a specialist sub-contractor‘
‘Structured, client focused, outcome driven approach to issues. Thorough analytical approach to underlying issues which is aligned to the available conclusions‘
‘The client focused style of analysis of issues linked to the outcome driven approach to handling matters is one of their particular strengths‘
‘The construction team has real depth in terms of both resource and knowledge. The team is able to demystify construction law for our business whilst successfully communicating to us our position at law and then devising the best strategies that reduce or negate risk‘
‘The individuals at Wright Hassall that we work with regularly really care for the protection and success of our business. We are always astounded by the incredibly prompt response times that Philip Harris and his team bestow upon us, whether we have called for advice from the practice a day ago or a year ago. Despite fast response times the quality of advice and support given is always first rate‘
‘Michael Hiscock is a very competent and thorough lawyer‘
‘Paul Singer is a highly skilled lawyer. His attention to detail and ability to grasp complex issues quickly is very impressive‘
University of Warwick
Buckingham Group Contracting
Swisslog Holding AG
Totally Modular Limited
WCS Care Group Limited
- Advising Buckingham Group Contracting, the main contractor building the Brentford Football Club’s new 17,250 seater stadium and the first phase of the Kew Bridge residential development.
- Advising WCS Care Group on contracts for demolishing an existing site and constructing a new £7.5m care home, built to incorporate new technology and innovative ways of supporting dependent residents.
- Advised HORIBA MIRA on the contracts for the development of a 850 acre technology park, adjacent to the M6, which is being extended into a new southern sector.
- Advising Swisslog Holdings and its UK subsidiary on a XPO warehouse automation contract, funded by ABN Amro.
- Advising Totally Modular, a manufacturer of modular homes on supplying a prefabricated, modular, off-site construction system for a development by Galliard Homes.
Beswicks Legal's client roster mainly comprises regional developers, engineers, contractors and pension funds. Karen Elder, who leads the construction team, has expertise in construction contracts, professional appointments, warehouse development and renovation, residential projects and conversion works. On the contentious side, the team handles work such as defect claims.
‘Karen Elder is personable and proactive, providing timely and cost effective construction support‘
Browne Jacobson LLP advises clients across a wide range of sectors, including infrastructure, utilities, healthcare, construction, local authorities and retail. Martin Cannon, who leads the team, handles construction and demolition contracts, assists with professional appointments and advises on procurement. Another area of expertise for the firm is construction disputes.
Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
BAM Construction Limited
North Midland Construction
University College Birmingham
Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Trust
Blackpool Borough Council
Performances Birmingham (Symphony Hall)
Lewisham and Greenwich Hospitals and NHS Trust
Kent County Council
North Staffordshire Combined NHS Trust
- Advising North Midland Construction on a series of utility contracts for the installation of broadband and water infrastructure.
- Handling ongoing disputes involving mediation, negotiation and various settlement agreements for Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Advising Performances Birmingham in relation to the redevelopment of Symphony Hall, including retail and catering premises and a new statement entrance.
- Defending BAM in relation to substantial claim for defects in mixed use development on the South Coast.
- Advising Lincolnshire County Council in relation to the replacement of a civil engineering contractor on a major bypass scheme following the collapse of Carillion.
The construction team at Higgs & Sons was recently bolstered by the arrival of Rachael Hobbis from Shakespeare Martineau LLP in May 2018. Hobbis specialises in construction procurement matters and building and civil engineering disputes. In other work, the team advises developers, contractors and investors in a wide range of sectors on construction documentation.
Hugg Homes Limited
Cassidy Group Property Limited
RTS Construction Group
RTS Construction Group
London & Cambridge Properties
Inland Homes PLC A F Blakemore
ADI Beverage & Food Services Ltd
Waltbros Construction Limited
Edmond Shipway LLP
- Assisted Hugg Homes in the preparation and drafting of a contract procuring modular construction homes to local authorities for the housing of homeless and those in temporary housing.
- Acted on behalf of RTS Construction Group in respect of the development of a new build retail park at Plymouth.
- Assisting LCP Estates in pursuing rectification of defective car park works at a retail park against the main contractor.
- Advised Inland Homes on the full review of the suite of construction documents for the procurement of its professional team.
- Acted for ADI Food and Beverage Services in responding to an adjudication by its sub-contractor for interim payment application, valuation of additions and consideration of non-oral modification clause.